Speaker 1: And that's what you really missed with Jenna and Kevin An iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to you, and that's what you're the miss podcast. We're just chomping away on our food. I was eating a piece of sour dough with some cottage cheese on it. Oh God, there's nothing else, there's nothing else to be at.
Speaker 1: I hate cotton cheese so much, really, I love Oh it grosses me out. I can't. I can't get that, though I get it. Cottage cheese, sour cream, Oh, it really goes along with those any sort of like bagel schmear? What cream cheese? Cream cheese is the worst? Strong with you, I can't do it. The older I get, the more lactose intolerant I get, and the smell itself just makes me.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm so hungry right now to eat any of those things.
Speaker 1: Well, I can't talk any of blueberries and dike especially.
Speaker 2: It's contradictory, but blueberries are so good for you. Okay, Today is a very special day. Today is a very special day.
Speaker 1: And I would just like to say that this is a Christmas movie because it ends with snow and lights.
Speaker 2: This is also an all year round movie for me, it is a comfort film. I watched this all the time.
Speaker 1: I can't believe this is a comfort film for you because it is heavy.
Speaker 2: It is heavy, but like most of it, like the music, like, it's just very like the Newsy's is comfort for me, Chicago's is comforting me. Mostly musical movies are comfort for me.
Speaker 1: You know what really gets Jena go in consumption. So we're talking about the one and only Mulin Rouge. Very exciting, incredible movie that came out June first, two thousand and one, which is also two thousand and one. It's been happening a lot this week in the dressing room at Spelling b We've been listening to We've been visiting two thousand and one a lot. Musically, Wow, what is musically Bump Bump Bump by Beata k no no, I mean okay, musically like literally the number one song in the country at the time was Lady Marmalaye appropriate Christina Guiler Litt Kim I Am Pink from this movie. The number one movie was Pearl Harbor. Believe it or not, I saw it, yay, oh, I saw it. Fun fact that I was in the music video for it.
Speaker 4: You were.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what the fatal music video that Michael Bay directed. I did not know this.
Speaker 3: How did you end up for that music video?
Speaker 1: I had an agent in Texas and it was I thought it was for the movie Pearl Harbor.
Speaker 3: That's even better. I booked with Michael bayfilm Yeah.
Speaker 1: And they're like, no, it's the Fat Till music video even better, Okay. And so I was like an extra in the music video and I was like a little Newsy boy at like a little camp with my big years.
Speaker 3: Can we actually see you in that movie in music video?
Speaker 1: Yes? I have it is like it's me and like faith what and Michael Bay is like five feet from me? I do not know directing me. I do not know this. Yeah, it was really strange. I don't know how Like it was also weird that he even directed the music video.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's not so surprising.
Speaker 1: It was like my first time though, being on a set like that because they had like the movie magic things. They had the posters on the side of the buildings to make it look like the time period.
Speaker 3: And that's why he directed it, because he wanted to look like the film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it was and I remember like it was going to be premiered on VH one, and I woke up early to like wait for it to start being played on VH one.
Speaker 2: Very special, Kevin, I had idea about learned something new every day. Okay, So here's a snapshot of some pop culture from two thousand and one, since there was no Glee News obviously, two thousand and one was dominated by classic TV classics like Friends, which had just aired, Monica and Chandler's Wedding. Huge Survivor was a national obsession still kind of is She was like Gilmore Girls, Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, West Wing sopranos were all divining, defining character driven television was like the Golden Age of television if you asked me, and then yeah, we had TRL like MTV was a peak power rip MTV, I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah that was also like you had Brittany and Backshorye and Sync releasing like huge things. So Tierro was it Janet Jackson's All for You? Oh my god, I remember when I think of that time, I remember Carson Dailey interviewing Janet Jackson about that album on Tierro. So good, so good.
Speaker 2: Pop culture was also fully and It's why to Hey Glow Up? Era we had just we had survived two thousand. The world was gonna blow up and all the lights were gonna go out. Rhinestones, glitter, makeup, meallic tops, low rise jeans, flip phones, which charms you name.
Speaker 3: It feels like we're back there again.
Speaker 1: So it does I mean DVDs or like all the rage It was just starting to take over VHS tapes, which is wild. Blockbuster was still a thing. Blockbuster, for those of you who don't know, it was a store where you would go in and rent movies.
Speaker 2: What if you weren't a Blockbuster on a Friday night, you weren't living God that feeling your pjs walking to Blockbuster, holding that the sleeve would be there, hoping that there would be a box behind it.
Speaker 1: It was like a library, but for movies. God.
Speaker 2: Lots of celebrity couples benefer for the first time obviously, Yes, Brad and jan Yeah, Justin and Brittany. It was big, big Did you do you okay? So let me ask you a question. This was directed by boz Lehrman. Were you a boz Lehmon fan?
Speaker 3: Are you abouz Lermon fan?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yes, and yes yes we too, absolutely big, big, big, I mean, big bas Lemon fan, also objective. I think about his movies, I think, mmmm, I think I'm way with everything even you know, like Beyonce is my number one, But I can still be objective. I think, yeah, pretty much. Yeah, I think you you always are.
Speaker 3: Romeo and Juliet is on the top of my list, is one of my favorite movies of all time.
Speaker 2: Mellen Roge is definitely on the top my top five to ten movies of all time too.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about baz Lehrman and how he does sec does every movie he directs? Is every movie a musical?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, yes, no, but it has a musical element, And I think that's why I started doing all this research at the bas Lehman whilst watching this movie, because I was just like, what is the deal? Like where did he come from?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: Like why does he make am like this? Yeah, and it makes completely sense, like he comes from the opera world, like directing operas. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. It all makes and so music going into any baz Lemon movie, music is used more as like a leading storytelling device. Obviously like score and music concept, tones and feelings, which are super important for movies. His is almost even in Romeo Juliet. It's another component to the script. It is a character and it fully drives every scene.
Speaker 2: And that's why his musical movies do or this one does so well, is because like.
Speaker 1: The character.
Speaker 3: Well in this one in particular, like the music is just so good on his own, but.
Speaker 2: The music, every piece of music that he includes, drives the story or elevates the story, or brings it to life in or brings it all around in this like very encompassing, like stylistic way that like it all makes sense.
Speaker 1: It doesn't come out of nowhere.
Speaker 4: Even like when Youwan breaks into your song, my song, song, your song, thank you, your song, He's like mah, and like it's like that moment is there was no other place for him to go but to break into song.
Speaker 1: Well, I think the way the way Baz clearly appreciates and understands and like needs music, Yeah, in his story telling makes it work almost all the time because I mean he intentionally does this. I think in everything where a lot of what he does are you know, is a set and it's a period piece with modern music, and the way those two play against each other to make us understand what's going and like put it in today's like whatever, Like rome and Juliette. It was like Radiohead is a Shakespeare's story, and so you're understanding where those characters are at because of the songs that are playing, totally more so than just some under than underscoring. And but I think this movie, it's about damn time he did like a musical musical, yeah right, yeah, And the way he was able to use contemporary songs set in eighteen ninety nine was just unmatched. So for those of you who don't know Mulan Rouge the official summary. Set against the backdrop of a spectacular mul and rue show, an idealistic young writer is drafted into a bohemian entourage and falls in love with an ambitious but doomed showgirl who was caught between the hero and a ruthless duke. Basloman also I think appreciates like classic stories, classic storytelling, because I'm looking this up. This is sort of a very loose reinterpretation of like the Orpheus and Euryticity. Yes, like Journey and you have the Great Gatsby. He takes on later, and he obviously did Romeo and Juliet And so the way he sort of swings big in like the classic yes storytelling moments, but he also like.
Speaker 2: There's just such an eclectic mix of his like inspiration for this from like Hollywood musicals, cabaret culture, vaudeville, opera, Bollywood, and he was in India studying researching how Bollywood films like and all of it together.
Speaker 1: Right works like La bo m et cetera. It is also like strange to me how Bollywood movies don't necessarily really cross over here and being able to see, like what you were saying, how Bollywood like can combine all of these different genres into one movie and make it spectacular and make it really heartfelt and have these like beautiful, grand and humble stories all in one thing. Like this movie is very much all of those things, but done in a very specific bas Leerman way. And what I also love about bas Leerman and I think it works in some movies better than others, is like Wes Anderson or where that you know a bas le movie by a single frame. They always have a certain look to them. That's why I love I love both of them very much. Mm hmm. It's I think it's so hard to like have a really specific like movie or film language like that. Not everybody, not everybody has that and everybody needs that. But no, it's just you can tell he is bursting into creativity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And he's not doing it just to do it, like I think they're they're creators that like could be out there that want to have that staple of that luck or that thing. But this isn't just for the sake of doing it. This has like a very specific intention behind it, which is why. But it's done so successfully. Yes, And he's like I think his brain is just full of so much information and so many different things that he loves that he wants.
Speaker 3: To incorporate, so like breaking the.
Speaker 2: Barriers of like it having to be one thing is refreshing to have a musical movie with all of these different pieces of other art forms and cultures and you know, it's just everything it's like and things that have come before, all the different works, Like it's very inspired, and it's just it's I don't know, I think it's why it's one of my favorites.
Speaker 1: Is like, uh, this like.
Speaker 2: Modern day contemporary music mixed with all these you know, the things that came before, Like all these wonderful pieces. So this film premiered as the opening Nights selection it can the Film Festival in two thousand and one, and it received an enormous reaction.
Speaker 1: Uh this, we also did it in Glee, so come what may.
Speaker 3: One of our favorites was featured in season four episode fifteen Girls and Boys in Film, performed by Curtain Blaine.
Speaker 1: That was one of the songs. I was so sad to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I obviously did not fight for that, Like it makes total sense for them. I loved how they did it, but I was just like, oh man, I recently that one missed opportunity. Yeah, I mean I was obsessed with this movie. Jenna, Like, do you remember when this came out? Oh yeah, Oh yeah, I remember. I think I was like nervous to ask my parents to like take me to the movie theater to see it. And I waited until remember like the dollar movie theaters. Oh yeah, because I had to be out for like a couple of months or something. Yeah, And I remember I convinced my mom and dad. I remember my dad was like, oh god, it's a musical. I don't want to go see it. And I already had the soundtrack. I remember the smell of the booklet of the CD with all the words in it. I was o sacessed. And I remember sitting there in that really the Dollar Theater and watched this movie and I just I couldn't believe it. And also it wasn't like my reaction was very different than Chicago, because like Chicago is like the squeaky clean. It's fun, you know, like it's it's glamour.
Speaker 2: Obviously it's style, but it's specific in like one lane, like it's very clear where you're headed.
Speaker 3: It's very clear what it is.
Speaker 1: You know, run this, Yes, Lulan Rouge has everything going like I feel like there's so many reasons why this movie should not be gone wrong. Yeah, yeah, like it should not work on every level. And when you get to the end of it, I felt so uncomfortable for so much of the movie because bas Lehman creates like tension and like that weird awkward like am I about to pass out? Feeling well if this spinny spinny? Yes, And it's like so motion and the way he cuts it edits a movie in the and like her, you know, being sick and all that. I remember leaving this movie feeling like I was sick, but I loved it.
Speaker 2: Let's just go through the casting a little bit before we got talk more about this, Okay, So I had no I didn't know this, but bos Lorman auditioned several major actors, including Leonardo DiCaprio, obviously fresh off there, you know, their film together Romeo and Juliet, one of my favorites. And uh, Leo came in and read with Boz and according to Lerman, the moment they tried singing together, it immediately became clear that Leo could not sing this role. This would have This is one of the things that could have gone terribly wrong. I love Leo, but this is just not it. So other actors were seriously considered. Heath Ledger, Jake Jillen Hall, Ethan Hawke, Jake Joon Hall would have been great, but different like Ewan is you McGregor is actually.
Speaker 1: It's it's beyond perfection.
Speaker 2: I would not see this, and I think this is why I've resisted the musical seeing the Broadway musical for so long, because I know I would love it, and I know that they obviously changed some of the music and all the things. But I resisted this so terribly because there's nobody else that could play Christian in my mind other than you and a writor, and I don't want to hear anybody sing it.
Speaker 1: Talked about his powerful voice, and the thing is one of the things where I think this movie should not work and my eyes specifically should hate it. It's like Ewan and Nicole aren't vocalists by any means, right, but the Ewan's voice, the tone, the tone have goosebumps, and also just his performance, it's so attached to his performance, like there was no separation between you and speaking and you and singing and the emotional through line between those things. My singing voice, I think sounds quite different than my speaking voice. Yeah, yeah, yeah, So as soon as I start singing, like who is that? It just, yeah, it sounds like Ewan's voice. His speaking voice is powerful and emotional. Obviously we know he's an incredible actor, like he had already done train spotting by this point, Like, yeah, unbelievable. He's amazing and so to be able to and that's something you're just born with, Like your tone when you sing, it is what it is. You can't change that. Yeah, and the way he just like belts everything out is beyond. It evokes something in me. Also, he's like beautiful and like it doesn't hurt that he was like the performance good. He's gorgeous. He's gorgeous. Like he actually sounds good. The tone is good.
Speaker 2: I actually sound gat. Yeah, it is great. This the whole thing, the whole of the package is the whole thing is just one hundred and ten percent. Like there's nobody else. There's nobody else.
Speaker 3: So he's just the vulnerability that he gives to Christian is just outstanding.
Speaker 1: You know, like fun fact also is so Nicole Kidman got injured several times during this. She broke ribs, so they were like filming things of her sitting down because like she couldn't be walking around in the corset and things. But because of that, things got delayed and they had to move off of their stages because this whole set everything was built right. Nothing was actually shot in Paris at the right. It was in Australia and they had to get off the sound stages because Star Wars was coming into film and it's like you and McGregor is in both of these things, like this is the height of you and McGregor, like becoming a household name, and I like, musicals have never been a popular thing to do. Musicals have never been the cool thing to do. And for Baz Lerman and Nicole Kidman and you and McGregor just sign up, it was like a really big risk and a really big swing. And I just love because we know where their careers have gone since right, like you McGregor was twenty eight when he was filming this, Oh my gosh, and it's it's nice to see somebody who did train spotting like several years earlier, Yeah, then do this and right exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And Nicole Kidman has obviously had her career, which like we all know, but this one felt different to me. There was like an innocence and a softness to her but yet like this wise woman that the performance was like so open and so real raw, like she had to love doing this. I cannot imagine her not loving doing this. This is my favorite, Oh I know, And I agreed, And like she's not a singer, but her tone too for this, Like there's something about it that is just so so magical that I love listening to.
Speaker 3: This is one of my favorite things to ever listen to, is the two of them together.
Speaker 1: I don't know how she does not have a good singing voice.
Speaker 2: No, she objectively does not have a good singing voice, but there's something about it that is so charming and so satisfying that like, it doesn't matter to me.
Speaker 3: I don't I really don't know. I think it's the tone and like the breathiness that.
Speaker 1: Because she's so good at acting. Yeah, maybe she's so good I also Okay, So speaking of their singing voices, I was wondering how they recorded these vocals, because, yes, tell me how this movie is mixed. I think is maybe the best I've seen because there is no sound difference, and how they are speaking and how they are singing, like the quality of what's going on. Obviously you can tell these things. Some of them are at least most of them or all of them were pre recorded, and I was just like, how are they doing this? Because that connection makes the emotional connection I think for us as a viewer so much greater in a subtle way that we don't even realize it, at least for me, because it feels so defent. Well, it was a mix of everything. It was. I think that's what I love about I'm fascinated by Baz Luhrmann's a creative process because this whole thing was one gigantic collaboration from all the departments. Obviously every movie is like that, but what I mean is like he was so involved in every single department that, like post production in this was so much longer than they thought it would be that they delayed the release of the movie by six months. And I think that is why it works so well. So, yeah, they pre recorded everything, but then when it came time and they're actually shooting things well, and they also did a full year of paperduction by the way, and so like they knew the music so intimately and how it was going to be used, but when they were actually filming it, it's they still allowed for, oh, I think maybe this vocal or this line should be filmed live, huh. And because they also had like the whole rig on set, like with pro tools and everything that they could move around where the music was and so in the moment they're like, oh, actually, if you sung this line a little later or earlier, like they could do all of that. And so some of those things are live, some of them are pre recorded, and they just allowed it to happen and I think in post production mixing all those things together, you get.
Speaker 2: They had the availability to play and to fix and to workshop almost because they had it all.
Speaker 1: Yes. And I mean obviously with those things that time is money, so that takes budget. It takes someone probably like bad Lerman who has like the weight, like the toll.
Speaker 2: The time and the budget and the things to say like I need this and I need to extend and I need to do yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, And ultimately, what I'm realizing about Baz Luhrman or any director, and I think this is what makes the difference for a lot of directors is taste.
Speaker 2: You have to have.
Speaker 1: You have to know your taste. You have to have great taste, and you have to have the wherewithal to see it through. And I think all this music works and how it is sung and how it is mixed, how is edited, is because Basil Lherman has incredible taste, specific taste. It's not for everybody, but he knows his own taste and he need and he will do what he has to do to make it come alive. And I think that was just fascinating because I think what happens a lot and when we get to they miss they miss it a similar thing where they pre recorded some and did my vocals, and that post production process was also really long. Yeah, but there's something going on. I think maybe with the more modern like how it's being recorded on set, and even in Wicked, where there's a really big difference in like sound quality then you know, speaking, and I feel like bas really just like figured out, like refined. Yeah. Yeah, yeah. It feels like you're inside of it and you're not taking in or.
Speaker 2: Out of it through the vocals and through the dialogue, like you're just in one immersive world versus sometimes in musical movies you can be like hyper aware that you're in a song versus you have seen and.
Speaker 1: Because such this is dramatic, this is drama, you don't want to be taken out of it.
Speaker 2: No, That's why I just feel like this, the world that has creates, like in general, is like very immersive and you feel like you're very much in it.
Speaker 4: So the.
Speaker 1: Can we talk about that world?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 1: By the way, like.
Speaker 2: The sets, costumes, that's everything is like larger than life but feels so believable.
Speaker 1: How does he do that? It's just like a courage of conviction.
Speaker 2: Maybe, I mean obviously that everybody at the top of their game, all these incredible department heads and people like just really and and Bas is like vision. I'm sure that Like Rian, the vision is so clear and it's like whether he's collaborating and saying this, you know, let's try this or let's do that, or saying like I know what I want, it's so clear.
Speaker 1: Does it remind you of Ryan? Yes, definitely. I don't know Bas, I've only met him once, but like, but the work is reminiscing. Yes, what is that? I feel the same way?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: I feel like Ryan has great taste. Yeah, Ryan has a very specific vision and he's really good at executing. And I think maybe that's those are the overlaps there, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, they're like really clued into also music. So Bas's wife was the costume designer. It was Coke costume designer and co production designer all of his projects. She went two oscars for this and two oscars for Great at Speed. Interesting, she's got four oscars, the most of any Australian ever. So they have a language as well, sure well, and the language between Baz Co wrote the script and he and Greg Pierce do all their movies together, so they also have a language. They had done Romeo and Juliet together. So yeah, doesn't it feel like some big creative collaborative. Yes, yes, definitely your people. Yes.
Speaker 2: This opened at number four in the US, behind Pearl Harbor, Shrek and the Animal, and it became a major word of mouth hit, which I could understand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, how do you market this movie? How do you sell this movie?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You know, honestly though, like you market it with those like those top twentieth century hit songs, right like as they in the early development the team, they said, the team filled entire rooms with lists and charts of songs until it became very clear that the emotional heart of their musical already existed inside the great pop pits of the twentieth century.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like Glee.
Speaker 2: It's like something that you do and you take something familiar and then you twist it and you turn it on its head a little bit and you make people see it in a different way. And there's already a way in I think that is so key to people taking a risk and like seeing something like this that they wouldn't normally see. They're like, oh, Elton John and you know, I mean everything, every artist that's in you know, lend their music to this, to this film.
Speaker 1: I wonder how much of an inspiration consciously or you know, subconsciously this was for Ryan when doing Glee, because this is Glee. The exception of it was like six years later. It wasn't that far off.
Speaker 2: No, for sure, I'm sure there was some element of it, whether he was thinking about it before or not. Like you know, there's definitely like, oh, it's being done right and people are doing it and they did it really well.
Speaker 1: And something you and I have talked about is like stage musicals and two movies often works so well because the movie that music is proven, they've workshopped it. Yeah, and how they did this was in a similar way, even though it was not a stage musical, they workshopped at all. Like Baz would, like you said, in the audition, like Baz tried to sing, He's literally singing with the actors in the audition room. Bas and peers would sing together and workshop worship call yes, and so you see what feels right in the moment. You're not just putting things in there just to put things in.
Speaker 2: There right exactly exactly, so the is for anybody who didn't watch this or has not seen this, please go watch it. But also, you know, there's like this, there's a few things going on, but the main story is that Christian you McGregor and Zetine Nicole Kidman they accidentally fall in love. But Satene was promised to the Duke who holds the deeds to the Mulan Rouge kind of handled by Harold Ziggler and who also who is like the head of the Mulon Rouge what do they call him, like the Master or whatever. And then you know there's that whole thing of jealousy with Ian McGregor and you know, and Christian and Satene. But Setne's also, unbeknownst to her as dying of tuberculosisciety. She started dying of TV and she doesn't know it until she tells Ziglas she's going to run away from the Duke with Christian and Ziggler with his own selfish for own selfish reasons obviously with the deed to the Mulon Rouge, and because he does kind of low Setine in a very messed up way. Uh is like you're dying and you can't you can't and they're going to Christians, so you better tell them you don't love them. So and then there's this whole theook the duke is putting on that or Duke is producing that. They're doing it the lam rouge that is going to make Shutina star, but that also mirrors the story that Christian wrote and is living at the same time. Just so you know, let's talk about some of this music, because.
Speaker 1: Another thing for me working against it. I hate jukebox musicals and I loved every second of them. This is a different one for you. It's like I'm into all of it. So, like obviously, because these are all huge songs before ever being in this movie, they had to get the rights to all these songs and pay for the rights for all these and it took years. It took like two and a half years. Wow.
Speaker 3: Ellen, John was one of the first to do to allow your song to be in this movie, which.
Speaker 1: Was always on the pulse. He likes on the pull. He is always supporting like new artists still to this day more maybe more than ever.
Speaker 2: Doing collapse with new artists, always knowing what's coming. So and then of course you're like, oh and John gave a song to this film. Why wouldn't anybody else? So that's pretty spectacular spectacular.
Speaker 1: I would like to see a show called spectacular spectacular. Well, there is a musical called roof I know there.
Speaker 2: There's amazing songs in this I mean one after the other, NonStop, hit after hit. I think the ones that stand out for me are obviously I'm on the Rooftop, you know your song, Elephant Love Medley, Come What May, out the Window. Also, though, one of my favorite songs, which I didn't know that everybody loved, was Roxanne.
Speaker 3: Like I didn't know that people loved Roxanne.
Speaker 2: Like I loved Roxanne. I thought it was not a fan favorite, and then I come to learn it is the fan is it? Yeah, it's like because I didn't know it until just now watching it.
Speaker 1: Oh it's one.
Speaker 2: I think that's the most listened to, next to Come with May on that album that I listened to, and I didn't know that like people, everybody loves that one.
Speaker 1: What I learned. What I learned is that as I've seen this movie probably in twenty years, like I've not seen it in so long, is that the moments I really didn't love as much as a kid wore those darker moments so like the last third of the movie like made me feel uncomfortable because I was jamming to come What May and jamm in to Elphant Love Medley. Elfant Love Medley was my jam. Yeah, I wanted the pop hits. I had to pause it during El Dango de Roxanne because I was so overwhelmed. Yeah, I was so overwhelmed by how good it is. I literally ran to the other room and I was like, Austin, you don't understand what is happened. He's never seen Walan Rouge. By the way, what yes, stupid idiot.
Speaker 3: What is rockinha? Get kick him out?
Speaker 1: I would I would like to talk about the Roxan scene if we can, well please any time. It's r Actually, I want to talk about so many of these. Okay, I know, I know, but Roxanne one.
Speaker 3: By the way, it took ten days to shoot this good and it feels like.
Speaker 1: It in a good way. Yeah, like with Greece. Never thought I'd be comparing these this way. Yeah. Every single frame of this movie, and obviously more so than Greece, is still with rich textures and so much depth, not just the sets but by the costumes and the people acting the music, and you take Roxane, a famous police song, right, and you mix it with a famous Argentinian tango, and then you're also adding original operatic lines for you and McGregor on top of it. And then you also have like three different story points, storylines happening. And what's also really important to know about this movie is that a huge inspiration for it for Baz Luhrmann were like the technicolor musicals of the forties and fifties, And to me that is most like glaring or blaring. I don't know what's the right word here. The most obvious is during this scene because the colors are so rich and like the way like Hello Dolly or any of those musicals were filmed and lit and colored. They're like you, I just want to eat them, like they're so beautiful to look at. And this scene has so much like powerful, powerful story going on and like three different plot points, and the yes, it's just it's so unbelievable, Like I literally I had to stand up and walk around because I I mean.
Speaker 3: If you back and listen to it now, also listen to you in vocal performance.
Speaker 1: In this.
Speaker 2: It's something about the release of like how he can release his voice in that way that like for somebody who doesn't isn't a professional singer, and maybe he does consider I was shocked.
Speaker 3: And also here's it's very satisfying to listen to his performance his vocal.
Speaker 1: Do you think the difference is for you and and Nicole and why we buy them so much singing in this that's not English?
Speaker 3: I get what you're saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you for following everyone. Yeah, my brain is moving so much faster than my mouth about this movie. Is that like when Adam Shankman came into the studio with us to record on a much smaller, simpler level. I'm not trying to compare these two. Yeah, was in the studio with us. He was having it. He was placing us in the mindset of being in the actual scene. It's like how we're going to feel and sound doing these movements and things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there had to be a lot of conversation between THATZ and the like the vision had to be there beforehand, right to say like this is where we're going to get.
Speaker 1: To, where they were going to be emotionally and physical.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, It's it's a different thing than like getting on a TV set and being like, okay, so today, like this is what where the director sees the scene going versus where the actors is the scene going. Like there was a very cohesive moving, you know, movement forward that was like clear that like everybody knew where they were going or what they were doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe I think that had to be.
Speaker 3: Part of it for sure.
Speaker 1: Maybe Ewan's voice just sounds like that, and maybe Nichole's voice just sounds like that. You know, like they could just be like a happy coincidence. But even you can tell them like their lip syncing of everything. Lip syncing is hard and they are so on it, and it matches the exact emotion they're doing in all of those scenes, and that is like you have to have some level of foresight. He the whole foresight for that. Yeah, you talked about We talked about Elephant Love Medley as well. That whole section of the movie was really astonishing to me because he built all these sets of what they imagined Milan Rouge looked like in eighteen ninety nine, and for so much of that whole section they're only in like they don't really move beyond like a couple rooms, right, obviously like on top of the Elephant room and you see like this huge, very fake skyline and things, but they're really using these sets and I you like for not really moving location that much in this section, like you're never bored. You're never wondering, okay, like what's next? Are we seeing anything else? And like that is really hard to do. And it's like it's it's a watch.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, there's like a magical feeling to it. It's bigger than life.
Speaker 1: There's like always a little bit of movement somewhere.
Speaker 2: It's not too much that like keeps your eye going, but yet not bored with like the chemistry between the two of them two and the music being so good and the visuals being so pleasant, like it all really works well, where like it's like this feeling of euphoria that you get like without having to like do anything, You're just sitting there like I'm you for it right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also I mean that's very true because leading into it, you have like that whole weird sound of music thing like you were coming from like this really silly like almost comical world of You have Kylie Minogue as the Green Fairy, which I obviously did not realize as a kid who Kylie Minogue was, you know when I first saw this and I'm watching, like, oh my god, there there's yeah pop icon global sensation Kylie Minogue. It was also really great in that little cameo and you have like John the Gazamo doing a crazy voice and he is by.
Speaker 3: The way his performance and this is really unhinged and yet perfect.
Speaker 1: It's perfect. I love how like silly this movie starts out, yes, and I just kept being shocked by so I guess maybe my creation depth of my one like critique is the very beginning of this movie. And for those of you who have not seen it or haven't seen it in a long time, is you know, is be patient because the first like ten to fifteen minutes of this movie, I was like, oh, maybe this isn't that good because no. One of my little things that I don't love that bas does is like this kind of bad visual effects of you know, when he sets up the world and you like see these big sweeping shots of like you McGregor on a train or all of Paris, and it looks like not great. It doesn't look I think very good. However, I also think that's sort of intentional with because it does look almost like a painting or intentionally not realistic because bas isn't trying to do realism in any sort of way. So like there's that adjustment period. And I also don't scessartainly love. Like he always uses this like choppy slow motion effect ish in all these movies, which bothers me sometimes and it bothered me in the beginning of this movie, but once you adjust to it into.
Speaker 3: The dramatic parts of it, it works really well.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I think like as the movie goes on and he starts to use it, especially with her sickness, Yeah, it's it's really effected, like the breaths, like because it makes you feel like you're sick and right, yes, right right, and also shout out to Nicole's performance during that to like sell that. But so like, yeah, it took me a minute to like get into the world. But like once he is on those sets, it does feel like really deep and moving and it all of that big, opulent stuff you would think would be distracting and take away from Like, no, the story is still so grounded somehow, I know. Come what May was originally written for Romeo and Juliet what. Yes, it's an original song. It was originally written for Romeo and it never got used. And so I mean, could you imagine this movie without Come Up May? And also imagine Julia with that song? Right, none of it would work. That's insane.
Speaker 3: That is absolutely insane.
Speaker 1: Come Away, Come Up.
Speaker 2: It's also were you and I listening to Come Up May on the airplane to Australia?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 1: On the wa Australia?
Speaker 3: Listen to this like a hundred times because it's.
Speaker 1: The greatest song. Yeah, that's also just like the emotion, Oh God, to build into the plot of this movie that there is a song, it's so meta, like there's a song being put into the show. So Nicole, so Setine and Christian, well, because they are part of this forbidden love, right, m that whenever they have whenever they hear that song or sing that song, is because they're thinking of one another and being like, we're here for each other, right, And then to have that song used so well and effectively outside of the show within the show, and then it is the song of the movie, like it is the emotional heart of this entire movie. And what pisses me off? I think baz Lehman should have won Best Song Oscar twice twice. This did not qualify for the Oscars because it was written for Romeo and Juliet, even though it was never used. And then the Lonna del Rey song from Great Gatsby he co wrote with Anna del Rey, and that didn't even get nominated. I think it should have won.
Speaker 3: This is giving, it's giving. Zach Woodley energy mm never got nominated for an Emmy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like, sorry, come on, sorry, I had to get that out comes. You could turn me down in your headphones or speakers whatever it is.
Speaker 3: No, I'm with you.
Speaker 1: What's ridiculous is that like a Virgin the Madonna song also we have I just need to acknowledge Jim Broadbent as Zidler. This is unbelievable. It's a little bit funny. Like I even I'm like, I know it's Jim Broadbent, but I just don't believe it, and I had to look it up. I'm like, of course it is him, and how is he so good? How is he so good?
Speaker 3: It's like Jonathan Zamo in this.
Speaker 2: It's like there's this level of like it's campy and it's it's almost satirical and and like hyper realist, like surrealist, but like also he's grounded in this world like it doesn't like it shouldn't but it does.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: And then also when he's like in the office of Sigla in the in the Elephant and he's like or no, when they're doing the meeting about the deed and he's like, I don't like people touching my things.
Speaker 1: So ridiculous. I think that's also it's probably a bass thing where this sounds dumb, but like everybody knew what movie they were in, and I don't know how you communicate that, because this is unlike anything I've ever seen, and I think it's unlike anything that's ever been made up to that point in the history of film. And it's like how you communicate that? Like that that's what you're doing, because everybody was understood the tone of the movie and they could be big and grounded like it was just I don't know, it's just so so just tremendous.
Speaker 3: We can't create all these performances. We've talked about a few of them.
Speaker 2: Obviously your song I'll Wandell Flyway, I'll Elephant Love Medleie, Come what May like a Virgin, the Tango roxand one other song that I loved Our Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend and material Girl Diamonds Are a Girl's best Friend.
Speaker 1: That number.
Speaker 2: There's something about Nicole Kinman's voice on that also, and the performance. You're so sultry yet so innocent and so believable and so vulnerable that this all just it's like, naturally, I don't know that I would have loved that number, but I love that number.
Speaker 1: She sold it for me. Oh God, when they get to like the spectacular spectacular show at the end of it, and she comes out of the stage and is like being held in that costume which apparently is like one of the most expensive costumes ever or no, the diamond costume she's in not then is one of the most expensive costumes ever made for a film. But the lighting, like the way they lit the show within the show is like unfathomable to me, Like, no, I know, That's why I want to see that show. It just is so crazy and stunning. What I think also doesn't get enough love is there's this little thing when Setne finds out she's dying. I believe that's when it is I'm sorry for incorrect, and she sings this part it's called the song is called like Fool to Believe? Oh yes, and it's yes, I think just written for this movie. And it's just like a couple of lines. It's not a full song, and I don't even know, like how how that gets made. I don't know who's writing that. But it's so beautiful and it's so personal, and it goes into like the one day I'll Fly Away reprise between Setina and Zidler, and it's like all these moments where this this does feel like an opera.
Speaker 2: Yes there, Yes, it's like little bits and pieces of what could be kind of be in dialogue with songs, and yet it just gave it like that extra, that extra yeah that you bought that in any other movie you'd be like, why is this song? This could have just been spoken, but it's the opposite for this.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, And that's a good musical Okay. So Sparkling Diamonds a plus plus plus plus like also Rhythm of the Knight and smells like teen Spirit Are you kidding me? Courtney Love audition for the movie and gave Baz the permission to use smells like teen Spirit. I Bass's ability for mashups is unmatched.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is where I do think that like Ryan had to have that like the mashup or Adam like you know adam Anders, like they all were like, whether they knew it or not, were affected by this, right, which.
Speaker 1: Also makes sense. Why when we ran into Baz at that after party, I think it's for the saga words or something, and he like bline to us and we're just talking to all of us about the show and about the music, and he clearly knew the show, and I I think at the time I was just so like starstruck and like, oh my god, why is he talking to us? Of course, nobody has a deeper understanding of what we were doing than best lemis.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right, that's right. And I don't think that hit me until now. Yeah, idiots, let's do some tarty takes.
Speaker 1: Auchies, Okay, auchies.
Speaker 2: I'm I mean the whole like like a virgin thing with or not like Tango Roxanne thing with the Duke and Stine and like the attempted assault and like all that was kind of you know, very.
Speaker 3: Sad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And they were like very blunt about like you know, calling Satina whore and the whole thing was like prostitution and all that felt a little yeah, but that is like central to the story. And I think there's also something about like John, like Zambo, his character, like who he was trying to play?
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, uh okay, best dance move, oh my god, the tango Rexan and then also shout out to like the lady Marmalade, sparkling diamond. Like the whole opening, like those opening segments like on the Big Floor, those were all excellent.
Speaker 1: Yes, best song, come what may, Come what May, and then.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Elton love Medalie and then tango Rexan, Yes, okay, performs very a prop.
Speaker 1: The swing, Oh my god, the swing, the blood. I also cannot with.
Speaker 2: The like a virgin at the end when the case is flying and he's like above him and they are just singing opera and it was just it is one of my favorite.
Speaker 1: Moments when is the moon singing. The starts singing opera at some point too, I don't even remember when that was. It's like this is camp.
Speaker 2: Yes, best line, Oh, this is my favorite is when he's singing they do the thing for him.
Speaker 3: The performance, and then he responds, He's like, it's a little bit funny, this feeling inside.
Speaker 1: I had to look him up too, because he was incredible. That's something I didn't like. I was so creeped out and hated him so much as a kid that this time watching I was like, you are great. It's so good, incredible casting, so so good. I think my like, it's probably my favorite moment of the entire movie is when she looses in the rafters and you can't remember his line and then Elma Gregor is leaving. He called her a whore. He's done, He's throwing money at her in front of this whole audience of people, and he just shouts out, the greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved and returned. Cinema like that is what movies are for. That moment, Oh god, performance MVP and Nicole. I mean, there's a couple of turns in there. When Nicole, you know when you and a Christian accidentally says like, because she doesn't love you, doesn't love him. And then Nicole goes from like performing and being in this like rehearsal mode and then goes into let's go have supper and then yeah, we will like the lovers will like, the ending will change.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's really just so good. She's so my favorite God Dicky talking. It just feels so silly after this.
Speaker 3: I know, I kind of want to watch it again. Oh I'm definitely gonna watch it again.
Speaker 1: Okay, tante pos it when your chance of getting a solo is over. Because Mercedes and Already's son Aston Martin Abram joined the Glee Club and this is like a crazy version of the Thong song. What is this version? Unclear? Oh, Motown nineteen Oh it's Ai. It's probably Ai, but nineteen fifty's Motown choir version of the Thong song and it's incredible, and yes, that would be our sons. Is hilarious, mar Abrams.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're getting crazy, you guys. Well, I hope you guys love mo and as much as Ash or else. You just literally want to listen to his gab for an hour about how much we love this movie.
Speaker 1: I would really like to talk to Baz, I mean because I really I really want to know how he did this and like how he does like I think I would love to just watch him on set to see how I would I mean it would be my great Yeah, like how.
Speaker 2: Does he do this?
Speaker 1: And I also know like he takes a long time to film things and like things run over always, and I just I just want to know. I just want to pick his brand. A man of taste, gotta know. Yeah, okay, you guys.
Speaker 2: So this was our official last official recap of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: But next we have a very fun conversation with Alex Putsavas, who's a Grammy Andammy nominated music supervisor currently Senior director of Music and Creative Production for a TV at Netflix. What she did like soundtracks for shows like Gray's Anatomy and Gossip Girl and Scandal, and like Twilight soundtrack, So stay tuned for that one. And then obviously, in the spirit of the holidays, Kevin, it wouldn't be a holiday season without us revisiting the Glee Christmas music, So come back for that one.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh, don't miss that. And that's what you really missed. Thanks for listening, and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.