Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of the Weekly Zeitgeist. These are some of our favorite segments from this week, all edited together into one NonStop infotainment laugh stravaganza. Yeah, so, without further ado, here is the Weekly Zeitgeist. Miles. We are thrilled to be joined in our third seat by one of the best to do it. Hilarious and brilliant stand up comedium writer, actor, improviser. You can catch her on stages across the country. You can catch her at the Facial Recognition comedy show monthly.
Speaker 2: It's Polo.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness. Look it's me sitting on a couch doing nothing. Take that. JD Van Huh yeah. This is called self control.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey, look we all want to fuck a couch, all right, we control ourselves.
Speaker 3: This is like who is the guy uh fuck, I forget his name, one of the who was just like like gay people, like everybody's tempted to do it, you have to not do.
Speaker 1: Were all thinking about it constantly, but we hold it back.
Speaker 2: Right and using a series of acts.
Speaker 3: We're all white knuckling our way through fucking Ikea.
Speaker 2: Okay, They're like, you know, you can build them any way. You want at home. They can be real, you know, like what.
Speaker 1: Let me show you this thing in my basement and it's like George Clooney and burn after reading.
Speaker 3: It's fucking insane that an election can be influenced by a ship poster, like I love it so much.
Speaker 2: The old time we were like, man, misinformation is really gonna fuck this election up. And the most inating piece of misinformation was this guy fucks a couch.
Speaker 3: Sting. I love America, I love democracy. I've never been more patriotic than with this JD Van's couch.
Speaker 2: Is. Yeah, I know. How have you been. I've been good.
Speaker 3: I've been good. Been a weird week for so many reasons. Excited to talk about what's going on. Excited to bring my people and miles as people together, you know what I mean. Enough enough fighting, and we both can be represented by Kamala's you know, pro Israel.
Speaker 2: States I'm Japanese today. Actually, okay, okay, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: And you do have to pick one. So we just you know, where we start recording. We make sure everybody just gets on the record and states what they are today, what's yours?
Speaker 3: A very long time and he's always been black to me, today.
Speaker 4: He's Japanese.
Speaker 2: I didn't know, folks. I thought he was one of those anime blacks. That's what you speaking Japanese so well, it's one of these otaku types.
Speaker 3: He's like ana morphing into different races.
Speaker 2: Have you seen all the fucking black and white Michael Jackson memes people have been playing. They're like, this is what he thinks, because there is that one scene where ghost I'm like this South Indian woman to like Isaiah Thomas like oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or like people have been posting like Sammy Sosa and stuff too, of like.
Speaker 1: Got that morph technology really had a moment there in the early nineties, the black and White video and Terminator too. I feel like they came out of the same like the same summer.
Speaker 2: Dude. It was. I remember it was a huge thing for like artists too, because my dad at the time, I remember he was working on like these digital art pieces of making Pap Buchanan look like a black man and ship from the early nineties, and.
Speaker 1: That was your project for Pap Buchanan, right, was like, hey, yeah, can you make me?
Speaker 2: Can you make me look like a black guy? Thanks? Remember that?
Speaker 3: Because I was like so young, so like yeah, yeah, yeah, I remember.
Speaker 2: I was seventeen at the time, I was forty three years old. I remember pretty what are you Biden?
Speaker 1: That was the first technology that I was scared to buy morphine.
Speaker 2: The hell is this?
Speaker 1: Anyways? Yeah? That was my first brush with AI.
Speaker 5: What's something from your search history that's revealing about who you are? Janey go first, let me go first.
Speaker 2: Okay, Uh.
Speaker 5: This took a while because I had some fairly like normal searches, I believe it or not, just a lot of like Spanish to English translations and are you bilingual? Getting bilingual practice? No, I've been learning Spanish for a while.
Speaker 2: Nice. Yeah, so I practically Espaniel. Oh good. Yeah. I had this cool picture of a wolf staring at the moon that was kind of fine. That's one but the one wait that she looks like those cordy ass T shirts and everybody start as hell, oh wait, yo, wait is that wolf like? It's like it's like a man, like, it's like a human some.
Speaker 5: Like furry ship, but really cool picture. A lot Yeah, a lot of people post this on Twitter a lot, and I needed it for it's a mood.
Speaker 2: It looks like it's improvising poetry to itself. It does.
Speaker 5: It's like it's like the vibe of like sitting by the bonfire and dark souls. You know, it's kind of it's it's romanticized stoicism.
Speaker 2: I like that quite a book, but I was.
Speaker 5: My roommate texted me the other day and said, hey, can you keep it down like I'm like studying, And I just sent her a picture of my Amazon shopping list and it was a unicycle and hand symbols. Really like cracking my up thinking about like how funny it would be to move into like an apartment as like someone's neighbor and be like, you know, I'm going to get into like doing like circus carniche, like circus sidehist.
Speaker 2: I'm going to.
Speaker 5: Be a live circus monkey, learn how to ride a unicycle and bash.
Speaker 2: And we're like a red velvet vest too, obviously a little Yeah, I feel like that's what's going on.
Speaker 5: When you're like like playing Halo in like live party chat, you just hear like family screaming and like monkeys like bashing on symbol crowd.
Speaker 2: Right right right, You're like I need to mute the fucking chat.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Always some loud ship that you overhear over those gaming headphones, came, what about you?
Speaker 7: Oh my god. Okay, well, I have a lot of shit in my I've been I've been converting the end to USD because I am going to Japan, my homeland. Yeah yeah, I am going when you go October.
Speaker 2: October beautiful time, beautiful time.
Speaker 7: For spooky season.
Speaker 2: Baby.
Speaker 7: But I have recently been searching Julie masking. Okay, and nobody knows who the fuck Julie Masking is.
Speaker 2: But I thought it was a makeup technique. I'm like, oh, oh, yeah, yeah it is.
Speaker 7: You could call it a makeup technique. And if we're talking full silicon bodysuit.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Yeah.
Speaker 7: So I became obsessed with Julie Masking about seventeen years ago when she posted some videos on early YouTube, like they're still up on YouTube.
Speaker 2: She looks like long legs.
Speaker 7: She does look like long legs. She has long legses, and I'm obsessed with long legs right now, So anything long legs is just making me like freak out. But she is a character that appeared online seventeen years ago and then disappeared just as quickly. She would just post random, like thirty second videos of herself and a full silicone, hyperrealistic silicon mask, and I could not, for the life of me or remember what her name was a few days ago. So I was having a full manic episode trying to remember what this woman's name was. And you know, you'd be surprised. It's actually not a man in a full silicon bodysuit. She's actually a trans woman in a full silicon bodysuit.
Speaker 2: So, and she's like an artist, Like, what's what?
Speaker 7: Like, Yeah, she's actually so I found well, there's not. It's very mysterious.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like I love that you brought this up to my attention. This is like a creepypasta that I would like watch. Yes, it's like very like shrouded and like mystery. Nobody really knows who Julie Masking is, but her flicker exists on the internet, and it turns out she's just like an old school like showgirl drag performer trans woman from back in the day. And I guess seventeen years ago she just decided, Hey, I'm going to put on this fucking silicon mask and freak everyone.
Speaker 7: Out on the internet. And I remember watching those when they were first posted. But then the other day, I was trying to remember who she was because I was thinking a lot about long legs, as I do ever since I saw the movie, and I was just going insane. I was like Google image searching, like trying to like figure out her name. Her name is Julie Masking, but today she has a new she's she's still doing it, but now she goes by Julie mask espelling in the English or French way, which is m A s que and cool. Yeah, there's not a lot of information about there. She's very shrouded in mystery.
Speaker 2: Okay like that.
Speaker 5: But there used to be this old creepy YouTube video that like I'm gonna describe badly, but I'm sure I feel like you, Carmen have probably seen it. But it's like a probably like a it's like a grainy VHS thing of like this like girl in like a bunny suit, like on stilts and she's like singing like a children song or something. It's very it's like terrifying, Like I remember seeing it in like twenty ten. It was like I was so enamored by it, and it's the kind of it's like you described, it's like the yeah thing that like it's impossible to find like any information.
Speaker 2: On because it's probably like that's probably the point.
Speaker 5: It's like it's like a you know, art project by some like you know, insular little like gay guys like living in you know, and this is just what they do in their free time to freak people out. But nonetheless, I do think it's like, really, I think.
Speaker 2: That shit's so cool, Like I love that.
Speaker 7: I love shit like that.
Speaker 5: I wanted if I find this video, I'm gonna send it to you. I bet you you've seen it. But yeah, so hard to find anything now, Yeah.
Speaker 7: It is, you know, everything the search engine has fucked up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: What is something you think is underrated?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 4: Vinegar as a concept, I think we don't give enough credit to vinegar. We have salt and vinegar chips. It gives us a pop. I don't like cucumbers in general, so those types of pickles are not a fan of. But like pickling any other vegetable, you can't do it without vinegar. Yeah, it's a great cleaning solution. It can get like pretty much anything off of anything can take any smell out. Once again, salt and vinegar chips. Yeah, I just don't think we give enough credit to vinegar.
Speaker 2: I love something that chips.
Speaker 1: Dude, we decide that vinegar was a food stuff and then spilled it on something and watched the dirt like melt away.
Speaker 2: Like, I wonder which came you, discovery or was it a was it.
Speaker 1: A cleaning solution that somebody dropped a potato chip in and then was like, I'm too hungry to not eat this thing.
Speaker 4: I think it was someone being like like when you smell sharpies and you're like, smells kind.
Speaker 2: Of good like that. Oh, I guess it derives from the old French term meaning sour wine. Never mind, Okay, well I love it.
Speaker 4: What are your favorite chips?
Speaker 2: Oh? I love a good like when there's a good salt vinegar chip. I like regional chips, you know whatever, like it is like the local brand. I'm not like, I don't care what the flavor is. Its fascinating, Like you go to like you know, like like Louisiana and these zapps like craw tapers and those are I was like, yo, what fuck, these are amazing pickle chips. But yeah, I like I'm a big saltmn vinegar person for sure. Yeah me too.
Speaker 1: I like sult vinegar. Also, like like anything with a little bit of kick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, are you when you get do you get fish and chips and then just douse the ship in vinegar?
Speaker 4: Are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 4: Because right now I'm on a real like tin fish kick. Because like, now, if you've tried sardines on a salt and vinegar chip or Anthroby's on a saltan vinegar chip, if you really like vinegar and salt, it's amazing. Okay, Oh I just want to pick that up vinegar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fish, Yeah, exactly, a good minionette. You know, the red wine vinegar is essential, so fancy not a girl minion. Minionette. No, it's not a girl, right, I just.
Speaker 1: Want And I knew that. I was just clarifying.
Speaker 2: Really quick. Minion Oh that mean a minion.
Speaker 1: Damn dude, this restaurant sucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Just your mention of Sharpie like it. That is one of my favorite smells, along with like tennis ball, new car. There's are they somebody needs to create like an air freshener that Sharpie scented, because I feel like I don't know that many people who openly admit to loving the smell of Sharpie.
Speaker 2: Are we talking about Astralia Sharpie? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I love that smell.
Speaker 2: I mean it's yeah, it's got that. It's like it's like a nice cheese you know what I mean, where you're like and then.
Speaker 1: You're like.
Speaker 4: That sanitizers, like the cheesemonger of third grade. You're just like, Oh, it's kind of stinky, but I kind of love it.
Speaker 2: But it's kind of it's me, you know, part of my brain that I'm not used to. Maybe it's a brain decay, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those are the accidental chemical compounds that for whatever reason, I like want everything gas Yeah, gasoline is the a.
Speaker 4: List after this stuff. Like I don't know someone that likes weird smells or someone that smells dangerous materials.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're like small cannon gasoline. Are you making like flaming tennis ball? Like yeah, we did that too, but tennis ball and then launched it started for Sacon.
Speaker 4: We got a new business idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you like tennis boss, because I know I'm not.
Speaker 4: Are we dogs?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think we might be. Yeah, I remember it, he got I remember getting in trouble at a Big five for popping open a tennis ball Can when I was like four that we didn't we weren't buying, but then my dad had to buy because I was just cracking it at the at the Big five, I was like, you know what, let me yep, And then I was up like Don Junior on a Marrow logo.
Speaker 4: His Rumble Show is just so good in the world.
Speaker 1: God, yeah, we're gonna have to watch it. We watched it on yesterday's episode. I think we're gonna have to watch it again.
Speaker 2: At least talk about that whole yeah situation. Sir, sir, I.
Speaker 4: Have a specific clip if y'all are interested.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, great, I wonder if you has the same clip?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Was it from the JD Vans livestream?
Speaker 4: Oh no, this is one from like a couple of months ago where he's ranting about Fox News and like it just gets They're like they won't let me on anymore, and like just keeps going on and on.
Speaker 1: And it's ex and we're not talking about that.
Speaker 4: I will put a link to this, Okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, put that in there.
Speaker 1: What is something, Caitlin you think is overrated?
Speaker 8: Another movie? Long legs, Long Legs story everyone.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing. Back to back Long Legs takes on the show this week.
Speaker 8: Oh wait what what? What else was saying?
Speaker 2: Yesterday's guests were like it just check it out. It's fine, it's fun. Don't look into it too much. If you like horror, great watch it. Boom. It wasn't like sort of like a like a full endorsement like this is the greatest thing. It's like, but yeah, it's fun, it's just watch it.
Speaker 8: I mean, I think it is worth the watch for some of the things.
Speaker 2: And you don't got it just you got your own you know, your own opinion. Yeah, so what is it fucking bullshit?
Speaker 8: I thought it was really good until about the midpoint and then it lost me. But I thought, I mean, it's an effective horror thriller. I was, I was feeling on edge the tensions there, but I think it gets really goofy world building wise about halfway through and then it completely lost me. So it was I was just trying to do too much. So I feel like it didn't live up to the hype.
Speaker 2: What Yeah, I just remember I felt like everyone was like, oh I saw it more than like, oh it's the best movie I've seen. Like I felt like a lot of people were just like, yeah, I saw it and it was like, yeah, it was cool.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I guess now, like when the early reviews were coming out, you were, I was like hearing things like I shiit.
Speaker 1: My pants, get ready to ship your pants, and to move to change them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Part of the marketing was the lead actor, whose name I also don't know.
Speaker 1: Las.
Speaker 2: Yep forgotten.
Speaker 8: No, I got this one, I got this one, Micah Monroe. Yes, yes, there was this clip of her approaching Nicholas Cage's character for the first time in the scene like she hadn't seen him in his makeup at like in character until she was like as long as long legs. And also my letterboxed review for this movie was like, his legs weren't even that long, misleading.
Speaker 1: It does play into your favorite format of film review about radioactive Yes, but he was named after a dang spider you know.
Speaker 2: Oh but in the trailer, yeah, they are being like one hundred percent on rotten Tomatoes. They are definitely needing it to be like flawless victory.
Speaker 8: And I would say that is incorrect in my humble yet expert film opinion.
Speaker 1: Long Legs just fucked your whole ship up. It made you made you ship in your pants and we're not paying for new pants.
Speaker 2: Don't you guys being so mean to us? Wick at you you ship your pants? Everybody himself?
Speaker 9: What why are you?
Speaker 2: Are you so freddy? This is like.
Speaker 1: Already already horror film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'll tell.
Speaker 1: You one thing. It has long legs. At the box office, I had to say, still earning, still earning. It's neons top top film of all time.
Speaker 8: Okay, yeah, all right, good for what I mean, good for that. For them, it's worth seeing. I just don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not.
Speaker 8: It deserves quite all the hype that.
Speaker 2: Flawless score.
Speaker 1: Go watch Blake Wexler's stand up special Daddy long Legs and yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how about that? Support local artists?
Speaker 1: How about that? Okay, you want to support local artists? You want to support long legs?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you want to support long about a daddy as daddy too with long legs, not some NEPO baby named Nicholas.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Hear your uncles really making a scene on set too, there, Nick, Oh did you read that report? I remember when we were first talking about Megalopolis and how he was like being fucking like he was touching women and trying to kiss them during like the block and all type scenes. Wait yeah yeah yeah, And now like more reporting has come out to be like, yeah, I think a video is coming. He has sex grip. Yeah, gross, I'm just trying to get him in the mood. You're like, dude, this isn't sixty two, right, And that also was appropriate. Yeah, yeah, but that's how we did things. You're like, yeah, well, you know, we've moved along.
Speaker 1: He's like, dear Lauren, I sold a whole fingyard for this. All right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back talk about deep steaks.
Speaker 2: And we're back. Uh So, the GOP, the party that is America's most outwardly racist party, is suddenly worried that their racism maybe alienating voters. According to multiple reports, it seems that leaders within the party have become increasingly worried that they're reflexive racist rhetoric. I just I just branded that that's called alliteration could cost them in the election now that Kamala Harris is the presumptive nominee. So last week, Politico reported that leading House Republicans had to tell quote lawmaker to focus on criticizing Harris's record without reference to her race or gender, following a series of comments by their members that focused on Harris's race, as well as claims she is a quote DEI pick. They also worry that Trump and some of his more extreme supporters will be unable to refrain from deploying sexist and racially fraught language, which they fear will hurt them with crucial voting blocks. I feel like many people have decided, but yeah, it maybe doesn't help at this point to keep letting people know we don't like women of color, women color.
Speaker 6: I think they're also, like the GOP are kind of anticipating what a potential debate performance would look like between these two because because the optics were bad enough when Trump was like looming behind Hillary Clinton in twenty sixteen, like the fucking babaduck, you know, like I said before, but debate, Yeah, it's creepy, like he couldn't help himself, and I do. It's hilarious. Yeah, I don't think it's gonna work out well. If he just he could be full pit bull and just attack Biden. And it's not the same strategy here, but he.
Speaker 2: Can full pit bull. I thought he was just like dollars worldwide. I mean, I know he like Miami, so I was like, I'm going full pit Bull and this takes off the hair piece and goes full pit bull rock even when every state he's gonna power up, Like Michael Jordan when he embraced the ball affair, They're.
Speaker 7: Like, what about pitbull summer?
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly, Eisenberg. Look when they when the hair mister yeah, mister three or five daletel the holiday? And why do I.
Speaker 7: Feel like OP does this every four years where they decide, oh, wait, we can't rely on only they got nothing, they only they can only rely But remember, like I remember even the first time I voted, what was when when Mitt Romney ran against Obama? And I remember at that time being like, holy shit, did they really just put Mitt Romney on Telemundo in brown face like capture the Hispanic vote? And they really did do that? And I just feel like every four years they have this realization where they're like, oh, yeah, we can't win if we are alienating voters of colors, so we have to pander in some kind of way.
Speaker 2: But right the Democrats are really good at it.
Speaker 5: The Conservatives have had a really big like identity crisis, like ever since really ever since Trump like lost in twenty twenty or even before that one. Because the whole, the whole thing is that like conservative policies, like like when you present like an average American with like Okay, we're gonna cut social Security and we're gonna like repeal like you're not gonna be able to get an abortion and gay people can't get married, by and large, those are deeply unpopular policies. So the whole like conservative and really the whole like fascistic strategy entirely is to like blame outliers, you know, blame immigrants, like say like you're like you know, be prescriptive about like the things that are wrong and then blame like an out group for it. So but the thing is like they're victims of their own success. Because Trump was like the first person to like take that, like like instead of doing dog whistles, he used what if he just said that, you know, yeah, he would just say like Mexicans are rapists, you know, I'm going to do what Muslim band like stuff like that, Like that's not a dog whistle at all. So I think that like, while Trump has this kind of like TV guy charisma that was able to like kind of captivate people. Motherfuckers like jd Vance do not. You know, they have no risk, no aura, and they can't fucking like fashion a message like they talk like fucking podcasters, like they talk like in a way that is no, not like this, but but you know, no, no, it's true. No, I'm just saying like, like they talk like fucking like these insular right wing like Twitter people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that like that's all who, that's all who they talk to and exchange ideas with ultimately at the top of the party. I mean, I think yeah, And I think this was always the issue with the party following Trump down this path like it worked. It may have worked in twenty sixteen to be like, what if we really turned it up and see what happens? And that did work to an extent, but every they failed in pretty much every subsequent race, even for many down ballot races from down ballot candidates that wanted to like specifically emulate that style. Obviously, many Republicans get voted in, but there are a lot of times you see people go hard on the Trump shit and then like pretty much everyone's turned off and they still haven't quite connected that. But this concern obviously also extends to Trump's rhetoric as well. One person who was close to the campaign said, many others feel that his words are becoming a liability, but they have no control over him. This is a quote from somebody who spoke on the condition of anonymity. Quote. We hope he doesn't act like a crazy, racist and sexist person, but we can't control him. There are probably dog whistles and racists and sexist tropes he'll stumble into. His campaign is going to try to keep him out of that rhetoric, but it's going to be difficult because that's all he knows. And yeah, yeah, yeah, I hate to see it.
Speaker 5: And they're gonna be like, well, actually he meant he meant this when he said that, you know, like it is so like it feels so much like twenty sixteen again. But but it's interesting because like conservatives kind of have like the same problem that like Hillary Clinton had, where like no one in twenty sixteen, no, like liberals wanted to admit that, like Hillary Clinton by and large was deeply unpopular, and I mean that's why she lost. And I think that conservatives are having like a similar moment where they do not realize how unpopular this is. Yeah, like because they own Twitter and they all like they've like kind of like insulated themselves in this like super online bubble where like they're insane rhetoric of being like, you know, like everyone's like childless mothers are are worthless. There's like people if you don't have baby, Yeah, childless women are yeah, yeah, worthless. Yeah, everyone's a gross cat lad dud like ahh.
Speaker 2: I'm focused on the women part.
Speaker 6: It's like and on the flip side, Kamala doesn't have I mean, she only has a certain amount of baggage amongst a specific group of like ultra leftists, you know people, and it's I he doesn't have the history, and I think it's not Hillary Clinton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't know how to attack her. Yeah yeah not yet. A war criminal, right right, yeah, the vice president. She's a drug war criminal. It's adjacent drug war. Look. I mean like, look, as long as we're sending munitions to Israel, and you feel like there's a strong case to say that you are in that camp.
Speaker 5: Unfortunately, still pretty immovable in that regard. But yeah, I don't know we'll say about that. Yeah, I mean I think you know, like you know, racism and bigotry like well, obviously like prevalent in society, Like they aren't the kinds of ideologies that are going to attract new people, right, not in the way that the current GOP does it. And even the most like basic analysis would show you this. But yeah, I mean, like the big reason too a lot of these candidates win has a lot to do with voter suppression, So that's the other dimension to it. But speaking of these weirdos who are just racist and fucking bigoted and just have every kind of phobia under the sun, they really don't like being the butt of the joke. Like you know, there there's a bit of political wisdom that shows calling the right weird maybe one of the most effective tactics of getting them off message.
Speaker 2: Many conservatives are like right now, they're trying to push back on the accurate description of their worldview, and it's like clear they don't know what to do, like vivic Ramaswami, like Tweety's like it's dumb and juvenile to be calling saying they're weird, because this is a presidential election, not a high school prom contest, and you're like, I'm sorry, you're trying to what are you trying to appeal to within people right now? That this is dumb and juvenile. You have people calling some the weirdest fucking insults coming from the right, But yes, this is dumb and juvenile because it's kind of got you off balance. There is this Pulitzer Prize winning journalist Tina Rosenberg, like, in a New York Times article about like just observing the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, wrote that alt right rallies have six core goals, And I think this is kind of interesting just to kind of keep in mind as you look as we look at what is happening with this, like, you know, calling the right weird right now. Their six goals are quote legitimate, legitimize their views, strengthen their self image as part of the downtrodden unite, their squabbling factors, attract new people to the movement, control media coverage, and feel powerful and heroic. Now, obviously righteous anger is probably the first response that most people like arrive at when looking at this kind of hateful shit, but like, violent clashes typically allow these goals to be achieved. Very quickly for like these sort of alt right demonstrations and enable their ability again to look like they are being attacked and that they are the victims and that they have to actually, you know, use a bit of the heroism to be able to fight back. Fucking Antifa or whatever of the you know, ajor is for them toy like they're doing and they're doing.
Speaker 5: This is a classic thing too, is that they're they'll they're doing cancel culture, but they're like like they're trying to get people like fired for like joking about like Trump's ear getting grays like stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're so like it, but I think again, like there are a lot of examples where you've seen, like there was like a like neo Nazi rally in Montana where people just showed up like dressed as clowns and are just like being like look at these jokers, and then like all right, let's get out of here. This is like stupid because what they want is people to pull up and scream in their faces. But when you pull up and just do the Nelson from the Simpsons and hit them with that, they're like what the fuck? There was like another example too of like this anti racist sort of like sort of fundraising walk in Germany, and like a lot of German like far right figures wanted to protest, so like they too wanted to be part of it, to demonstrate, and the people just like ironically clapped for them and they're like, yeah, man, you guys are killing it. Wow. And they were suddenly like the shit just fizzled out. They're like, man, like they were just leaving the route because like this isn't Yeah, but the weird description I think is super you know, it's on the nose for the moment. And like to your point, I think both of you were making earlier. They only talk to these like very strange dudes that are like in tech, and that's where there's a lot of reporting now that you know, like right wing tech billionaires have an outsized influence on Donald Trump right now. He's like listening, like recently, he's like, I love crypto, Like he used to not say that shit. He's like cryptos there, blah blah blah, yeah, crypto is. I do not think he genuinely under but he did say like now we're going to be the crypto capital of the world. And you're like, right, because you talk to some people and they're like, yeah, protect my money and this is what you need to say.
Speaker 7: And you know, Caitlin has her own coin now too.
Speaker 2: Now she's doing now.
Speaker 5: It's there's a It's worth noting that I read this morning that the choice for jd Vance was propped, was pushed on him by Elon Musk, Tucker Carlson, and I think Donald Trump Junior and the three.
Speaker 2: People and those are all yeah, those are all like gross.
Speaker 5: Insane people, like I mean, yeah, I don't know, like with no risk, No, it's I think I think it's the best messaging Democrats have had in a long time, because it's something that I mean, the Biden era was so bad because even though like I think a lot of Democratic policies are popular and a lot of like Democratic candidates were doing well down ballot, having Joe Biden lead the party when he can't speak like is like it's a serious like liability. But now, like, yeah, I don't know, I think that just being it kind of reminds me of when you know, I I know that Kendrick certainly won the beef, but when Drake said Metro, shut your bitch ass up and just play those drums. That is such a funny like dismissive like tactic, like just being like you're not even worth discussing, Like it's not like these motherfuckers are like like their whole strategy is pulling out like fucking like four chan means is like four chan is.
Speaker 2: Weird, this ship is not. No one knows what.
Speaker 4: Are you.
Speaker 5: The fact that you have a full like folder of wojacks to like be mean to trans people is fucking weird man.
Speaker 1: That is that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no other like it's I.
Speaker 7: Mean, the obsession they have with trans people is so weird, like the whole yeah, like every trans person is a padow now every like it's just like all, yeah, so it's giving obsessive.
Speaker 5: It's like what And I I think I think being dismissive is such a good strate because it's not worth engaging with, Like it's not worth having ideological argument like having like ideological arguments on like like should trans people exist, like should women be like mandatory to get pregnant?
Speaker 2: Like this is these are stupid, insane ideas, and.
Speaker 5: It's like it's easier to just be like no, that's weird, dude, that's fucked up and yeah, just being like bro, what yeah, I think trying to actual debate, yes, exactly debating these things legitimizes it in a way that's not worth doing.
Speaker 2: Because you again, like I think I was I may have said it yesterday. Like when especially when there's like an urge to point out the hypocrisy of them too, it's like that's pointless. It's it really is pointless, and play those negate the context that they're trying to like bring you into this debate, like you know, like this is this is the framing that we want to do and just be like bro, fuck this framing completely and like you're fucking weird dude, shut up, Yeah, because I think you know, the that tactic again, they're still trying to figure out what to do. They're only demonstrating even further that this is an accurate assessment, and yeah, the weirdness. It's hard to beat those.
Speaker 5: It's hard to beat those allegations because like the other side is when they're when you know, a lot of the time the Democrats are spending.
Speaker 2: Time like this is scary stuff, man, this is scary. They like that they want people to be like, oh my god, they're scary. Yeah, so then when you see a Maga hat.
Speaker 7: You're like, ooh, yeah, that person's like you look like a clown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then now you're like, bro, you weird?
Speaker 1: Bro? What Yeah?
Speaker 2: Have you guys seen that guy on Twitter that like goes around like wearing a Maga hot and.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah yeah yea, and no one cares, like no one pays attention to him at all, Like yeah, because.
Speaker 7: They want that beef when they go out. They want they want they want confrontation. Yeah, it's again, it's twenty sixteen, twenty fifteen ships.
Speaker 2: It's like trying to like trigger people.
Speaker 5: It's like and yeah, it's like, I mean, we lived through four years of Trump, like we we were not that triggered anymore. Yeah, come calloused? Yeah yeah sure, I don't know. I've I've enjoyed. I enjoyed this topic a lot, Like I was glad that this was like not something y'all discussed already, because like we I.
Speaker 2: Mean, I think it's some we've been talking about it, but I think because it's interesting to see, like, Okay, we're doing something. There's like it's something different now to to sort of you know, get the conversation moving in a different direction rather than again going like because the policies are they're not even real policies, Like you're talking about upbending people's ability to be free or be themselves and not have that be attached to some kind of societal punishment. And I think by just obviously addressing the fucked up nature of that is good to message, but then to zoom out and be like, yeah, because they're weird and they want to be all up in your business when they need to be mining their own shit, and this is what they're trying to do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I've brought this up a few times, so yeah, I think that like like owning Twitter and making it like a super like right wing platform has really like put them I think you use the word echo chamber like I'm gonna use again, Like it's really like made them like gass each other up in a way that's like, you know, most people don't use Twitter, like most people, and also like to the people that still do, like there's a normal people. It's really damning that anytime you see like conservatives like defending like jd Vance in the immediate comments under it, it's like far further right conservatives being like, well he has an Indian wife and race mixing is bad, and it's like, y'all are fucking crazy, right, there's nobody, he said, and obviously she's not white, is said, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's oh my god.
Speaker 5: It's so like because he's internet brained too, like he's been on fucking Amy Teresa's podcast.
Speaker 2: No one should know who that is, Like that's good, you shouldn't.
Speaker 5: She's nobody, but like she's kind of like a red Scare type but it doesn't matter, Like yeah, like that's the kind of people that these people like are like capitulating towards. And it's like like if you look at who jd Vance follows on Twitter, it's like insane. It's like he follows like Ben Shapiro, Ted Cruz, and then like a guy that's named like Hitler Groyper fourteen eighty eight, whoa like the ironic Groyper. Like yeah, like it's it's so they're on appeal.
Speaker 6: All of these people are too. I mean, it's really really no surprise that they don't respect women. They are too afraid to defend their own partners. It's creat like Ted Cruz, Mitch McConnell, jd Vance, They're they're all, they've all had shots taken at their wife and they are just too afraid to sit in the friends there. Yeah, and then and then they call everyone else cus it's crazy, it is, right. Yeah, again, that's a very twenty sixteen term, like like I feel like that died down.
Speaker 2: We're back, baby, We're back, and time traveling again. That is a weird term, Like that's a sexual like porn term. Yeah, yeah, and it comes from people. It's like my worldview is derived from tropes I'm seeing in the pornography. I'm consumed, right, Yeah, okay, what about power? What's that? I know videos where a guy sits in a chair while his wife has intercourse with another guy and he's okay, we just call that lack of character and being a shitty partner. I don't know what a being a partner is, So I'm just gonna have to relate it to the porn I watch right now. You talking about my wife? Oh you mean the amateur brunette milk. It's like, yeah, esus, Oh you mean my step mom.
Speaker 5: I see a lot of parallels with on jd Vance and Rondasantus as well. Yeah, like they're both like people that got like gassed up in their own like little bubble. But now that they're like exposed to like a big stage, like most people are like, what, who the fuck is this guy?
Speaker 7: And look how.
Speaker 2: Fragile like fragile DeSantis' masculinity with is weird lifted up boots and shit, like always just trying to project this like masculine thing. He wasn't just it just looks. The difference is like if he just was like embraced it, I don't think people would notice, you know what I mean? But it's they it's the attempt to try and like shed who you actually are that becomes really like it's really obvious when people are fronting like that, and even when they're trying to do like the like culture warshit, it just like it comes off as inauthentic and obviously like what they're saying is repulsive. But to add to that the insincerity of you're like what are you doing? Like for what what are you doing?
Speaker 1: This war?
Speaker 5: Carmen, did you see the thing where JD Van said something about like he wrote something years ago where he's like and that was the most like I ever felt like a woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I need to find it. It's pretty funny. But yeah, he's had.
Speaker 7: Something like a hemorrhoid surgery or something.
Speaker 2: Is it real? I'm seeing that he's wearing a Julie mask shirt. It was said, it's a blog post from two thousand and five, and again, this is anything about jd Vance on Twitter. I'm gonna take with a grain of salt, but I'm also gonna take with a grain of I want to believe it, so it says it tells him a two thousand and five of an emotional day where he quote felt more like a female than I ever have or will, and explains he can't watch Zach Braff's Garden State because because New Jersey's landscape is so much like Ohio's, the music is so relevant to my life right now. I'm sorry, let go by frou frou. That's so funny that like my life right now.
Speaker 5: Garden State is like his. I saw the TV glow, he heard new slang. I was like, man, I should try on women's clothes. I work with Zach Braft. I should I should ask him how he feels.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah you should. Yeah, I should make get get us get his thoughts on that. Yeah, I was ever felt like a female than I ever will, because I watched Gardens again that JD. You're not tough man. Just embrace whoever you are, because whatever this is, ain't it? All right? Let's take another break. We'll be right back and we do.
Speaker 10: Have to talk about Lady Hawk of Tua the Kingdom of Tua after this, and we're back on air.
Speaker 1: Snowflake, Ship Cat, you have seen some ship as mentioned up top. You were on the night shift for Media Matters, mainlining Fox for hours at a time. You know things about these hosts and their own particular brand of weirdness. So I just wanted to take a moment because, like I was just reading an interview with you where you talked about Sean Hannity and specifically Pain Day, and I wanted to see, like if you could talk about pain Day and also talk about like anything else that has like come across your radar with regards to some of these names that people who don't watch Fox.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like what this question makes me so happy because there's so much more in my brain.
Speaker 2: Yeah it.
Speaker 4: Sean Hannity is a martial artist. Specifically, it's an eclectic blend of martial arts. He talks about it a lot on his radio show. Yeah, eclectic blended martial arts. One time he had Connor McGregor on his show and he kept like mentioning his dojo and kept being like, like, kept hinting at it, and I guess he was hoping that McGregor would be like, oh, you want to do like a tussle or something.
Speaker 1: He never did.
Speaker 4: The entire time. Gregor was just like, I but pain Day is I believe it's once a month and essentially Sean Handy just gets the ship beaten out of him. Say okay, and uh, yep, that's pain Day. I think I think it's a great concept. Yeah, yeah, yeah, he thoughts about it a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, help helps him stay sharp. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think more workout routines should have should involve one day where Sean Handedy gets the ship beaten.
Speaker 4: Now every American does this, Sean Handy would.
Speaker 2: And also, hey, Sean, you want to live in the world where you don't have to call it pain Day and you can just let your kinks, you know, be out there. You know what I mean? If that's what you want once a month, Okay.
Speaker 1: It's not a blend of krav tempo karate jitsu speech every time when he enters the dungeon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like just a Who's just like, I see what I'm doing is it's not weird. It's an eclectic blend of manly stuff. And you know, getting my sense is, you know, sweat to drip in my mouth and you're like, what sir, So that's what it's okay, interesting piece of weird lower whatever. What other weirdo lore can you you bless us with about some of them?
Speaker 4: Can I tell you all about Glenn Beck's weird little girls shoes in a glass box?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: This was like in twenty twenty one when I was just like clipping random stuff and it always stuck in my head. Glenn Beck was talking about He came on The Tucker's Show to talk about how how you know awful the big tech is big tech censorship and somehow compared that to internment camps of the Japanese during World War Two here in the US. And I love that for some reason, I can pull up a picture of this for y'all.
Speaker 7: He was like, I have.
Speaker 4: This pair of shoes and he had them in a little glass box. Here we go. I am sending this in the zoom chat. He had them in a little glass box and they're from a little girl that was in a Japanese internment camp, and then he compared that to big tech censorship. I have no way to explain what was going on in his head. It is like it's exactly as.
Speaker 2: I explained, right, those are those shoes are called get that. I'm Japanese, so like those shoes specifically like those yo, that is they're not just shoes like these if you're Japanese, like you'll look at that shit and like, yo, what the fuck? And that's like his keepsake from the internment, Like what what did he say? What's his connection to it? Like, aside from why he wants to have those pairs of shoes, I.
Speaker 4: Think he just bought it. I think he was like, this is a simple I have no fucking idea. But he keeps them in a glass box in his home and brought them on national television.
Speaker 1: I'm a bit of a collector of memorabilia of small girls in pain. Yeah, going through acting that definitely is like a pain?
Speaker 2: Is the point type keeps sake because you're like, look, that was last time we had it together enough to interurn our own fucking people like that, you know, aside from the Carsonal State but that.
Speaker 4: But I mean, like for Glenn Beck, he's more like, God, I wish we could do this again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, right right, exactly right. It's just like Twitter. It's just like Jack Dorsey. It's the same thing, right right right, Yeah, to remind him, Glenn Beck, sir.
Speaker 4: So that's That's something I think about a lot, and I think more people should know about. Yeah, that's Laura Ingram has this guy, Raymond Royo, who's a Fox contributor on like almost every day, and they gossip and it's fascinating. It's a fascinating dynamic. They become so bitchy and petty with each other, and I just I really want to hear their conversations off air, to be totally honest, there are so many guests, so many guests. I have actually a whole bunch of post it notes on my wall right here of just like videos that I need to do at some point. And one is disappointing your favorite actor when you were a kid is now a regular Fox News guest. And then the County base Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just like one of my favorite people from the real world or was it Rachel Duffy Campos.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, Rachel Campbell Duffy.
Speaker 2: I was like, I was rooting for you on the Real World.
Speaker 4: It was MTV to Fox News Pipeline because her husband was also on the Real World on a different season. Yeah yeah, wait, can I tell y'all one more really racist thing that Jesse Waters did this year, because like it's just.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, let's please throw another one on the pile of racist Jesse Waters stuff that's happened this year.
Speaker 4: So they were talking on Waters Show about black voters and a possible menthol Ban and I can't find the exact clip, but I remember right now about a menthol Ban and then they had Tyris on. Tyris was on there to promote his book. You could tell they did not tell him anything about the topic. And so he comes on and Tyris, for the record, for anyone that doesn't know, is half black. And Jesse goes, so, what do you think about a menthol Ban And Tyre's was like, well, I don't smoke menthols, A lot of people don't smoke in general, and wow. He then he mentioned at some point he was like, and you know, I'm half white or something and Jesse went, wait, you're half white? Like on air, I thought this man, like this professional wrestler was about to deck him. It was the funniest shit. Wow, just completely unprepared for this segment, goes all in, Like Jesse is also unprepared for his own segment that he planned that he was ready war.
Speaker 2: God, what a fucking loser. You're by racial? What the fuck's bros?
Speaker 4: Like a guest on Gutfeld. Look, I can't defend him too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, like Tyros, his takes are all so and he's always deployed to be like, hey, give us racist cover right by it, like if can you please do that?
Speaker 5: Because obviously this is a time hon or tradition for political or fiery rhetoric.
Speaker 2: But like the other thing though, too is just thinking about like how getting caught up in this machine completely like fucks your head up. Like you know, you mentioned how jd Vance was basically sort of shaped in the fires of Tucker Carlson's show and had some record inordinate amount of appearances prior to him becoming a Senate candidate. And I feel like jd Vance is one of these, like truly like machiavellian type characters that is, like willing to sell out his own ideolog ideological beliefs, like in service of climbing the power louder. And it is just wild to see where he's at now because so many people, so many white supremacists on the right, have taken issue with the fact that his wife is a brown female. That like, it's wild to see this like clip of him on Megan Kelly's show and kind of talking about the controversy around it, but also like half a g I just have to play this because this shows how you will be chewed up and spit out by like right wing talking points so the like to the point that you have no respect for your own wife and mother of your children. Yeah, right, exactly. This is JD. Van's on Magan kelly show time. I don't know, yeah, maybe she's brown. This is listen to this. Look. I love my wife so much. I love her because she's who she is. Obviously she's not a white person. And we've been a cute attacked by some white supremacists over that. But I just I love usha. She's such a good mom. I'm sorry, but I love her. It's not been.
Speaker 9: Attacked well sure, but it's not about saying like, yeah, we were attacked by some white supremacists and you know he could have if like any reasonable person would say, and they're really wrong.
Speaker 2: This is a human being, has nothing to do with anybody goes. But you know, she's the like it's almost like, well, what do you want me to do? You know, she's like a good wife, so you know, despite that, you know I love her, but just comes off so fucking again, just weird. It's like you a fucking shitty husband and you look look so fucking dumb again because you have to you know, be a collection of the right values to ascend in the party, and then you end up just like not even knowing who the fuck you are anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he's not qualified, you know, I mean the only reason, like you said, you know, Fox made him a senate candidate. Like at one point they had him on Outnumber, the show where they have one man and then a bunch of women in short skirts next to him. Right, he was like one of their hosts when he was running for Senate, So he just had like an hour of uninterrupted airtime, right, And I used to think, I was like, wow, he's the only successful Fox candidate because you had you know, doctor Oz, You've had all these candidates in the last few years that are like Hanndy's friends and they're not actually like good at their job and they keep getting clobbered and it's very funny. But Jade Vance slipped through, and now it's like, oh no, he was so unprepared for this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean the reason that so many of them were losing is the exact thing we're talking about right now, is they so many of these like Trump Fox candidates are weird and people were like, I don't like, none of this really resonates with me, and then the one who slipped through, they're like more of this, Well, welcome, meet your new VP. And right now, yeah, it has given the Democrats something to run with. It feels like you've referenced Gutfeld a couple of times. I just have you So you have watched Gutfeld our obsession.
Speaker 4: Oh, I have watched so much Gutfeld. I have watched possibly months of Gutfeld.
Speaker 2: More Gutfeld than even Gutfeld has seen.
Speaker 4: I certainly put more effort into any of my bits than Gutfeld has done for his entire life. Sorry, continue mean, it's just.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you were talking about like it seems like they're just it's the same conservative comedy special over and over like the like it's just the same handful of jokes, Like what does the writer's room look like for Gutfeld? Like besides non union?
Speaker 2: Like what is non union?
Speaker 4: You need a rhyming dictionary. I don't know if you all have seen a two minute cut of Gutfeld just rhyming. This is him in one week. He's the worst man in the world, just write just like just like a terrible a terrible comedian. It makes me so mad. He's not a comedian. They were like, this is the closest thing we have, Yeah, his writer's room. It's just essentially saying shit in like a weird cadence. It's the amount that he rhymes, I think is what really gets to me, because it's unnecessary. I'm sending a link here. Yeah, so this is all I watched Gutfeld for, Like I you know, watched it in the background that I switched with a person that watched it like intently every night for a whole week. This is every rhyme he did during his late night show for one week. It's just one week.
Speaker 2: This is what it's being. One week of me Ryman, here we go. Birds have them stumped, so they blame it on Trump. Biden gives himself.
Speaker 11: A pass for the cost of food, milk, and gas.
Speaker 1: Step outside of you dare, there's turds in the air.
Speaker 11: Who should we be thanking for journalism? Tanking leap and announce his deep When will Trump make a peep about his choice for beep? The media cries about their demise for tabloid fodder. She's a keeper, But what if Taylor's stories went much deeper? Will politicians live forever thanks to a brain chip? Endeavor is com diapers, canes and chips in their brains.
Speaker 2: Elon enters your mind with a chip he designed.
Speaker 1: We of the way.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, this is one week's one week's worth of shows.
Speaker 4: What a it's so And that's not counting the ones on the five because he also rhymes on the five And some will say, well, those are just his transitions between segments, and to that, I would say, that's a shitty transition between segments. Also, it's not just his transitions between segments. There are plenty of rhymes within the segments.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, and that's not right.
Speaker 4: That's not a joke. That's two words, that sounds similar. It's not a joke. And I'm not triggered. It's just shitty.
Speaker 1: It sucks, It really does suck. Oh man, this is very bad. I have been losing sleep ever since I heard about Gutfeld and how the right is getting funny and the left is worried.
Speaker 2: But this is good news.
Speaker 4: He's the king of late night and they are at seven pm on the West coast, right.
Speaker 2: Right, right, truly truly dominating the fucking charts.
Speaker 1: Dominating the charts. The air is full of charts.
Speaker 4: Wow, I was gonna hear one. I want to hear your best, gut Oh.
Speaker 2: Yes, here's the thing. We've got a presidential pick named Kamala Harris. She'll leave the nation embarrassed.
Speaker 4: He's gonna steal that one in the Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, justin can we edit that out?
Speaker 1: That would Actually I'm going to take that one of her campaign.
Speaker 2: I'm actually gonna take that one.
Speaker 4: No one can defeat Gutfeld.
Speaker 2: No one, no one, exactly. I have to use his own weapons against him, exactly to bring him down.
Speaker 4: The only good thing Bill Maher has ever done is go on Gutfeld show and make him look stupid. The only good thing Bill mar has ever done. Oh wow, yeah, because because he went on and Gutfeld is like, see, we have so many points of view, and Bill Maher was like, this is the only time that you've ever had someone that's like a liberal and I'm doing air quotes exactly.
Speaker 2: We might be equally islamophobic. Actually we might have overlapt in that sense.
Speaker 4: Well, I kept trying to be like, see, we're like besties, We're like best friends, and Bill Maher was just like, Okay, I'm here about my book, which is.
Speaker 2: So funny too because like even in comedy, you see, like some of the people that go on Bill Maher's little like you know, would basement podcast that he does, and like half the time they're like dude, what I know? So good?
Speaker 1: All right, that's gonna do it for this week's weekly Zeitgeist. Please like and review the show if you like. The show means the world to Miles. He he needs your validation. Folks. I hope you're having a great weekend, and I will talk to you Monday.
Speaker 2: By