Speaker 1: Okay, we're on the plane.
Speaker 2: Okay, on the plane, AI all thirty three. Good to be here, Good to be here.
Speaker 1: In late April, my husband and I traveled to London.
Speaker 3: Are you feeling nervous about going to the UK.
Speaker 2: For the first time?
Speaker 1: It's starting to hit me. Yeah, yeah, it's starting to hit me. I hope that it's not like the first time I went back to Italy. I had never been to the UK before, and frankly, I was really nervous. In the last eighteen years, the UK media has consistently vilified me. My definitive acquittal did not change that. But I wanted to take the opportunity to talk to more people about the Lucy let Be case. In the days that followed, I interviewed people in London and in Chester connected to the case, the Countess of Chester, Hospital and the NHS, meeting them on the ground and in person for the first time. I can't say that I'm super thrilled about going on Good Morning Britain. Keeping the Lucy let Be case in the public consciousness was also a priority.
Speaker 2: On the pre call you did with Good Morning Britain, the producer was like, so, why are you sticking your head above the parapet here is just like, essentially, I don't think she's wrong. It's like you are going out there into a position that you know people are going to want to snipe at you.
Speaker 1: Right well, I mean, I feel like that's exactly the position I need to be in in this situation. That's what people were doing for me back in the day. And now I'm putting myself there because I can. I can handle it, and I know that it's for a good reason. What is that reason to pay it forward and try to help get the truth out about someone else's life and these tragic cases. Wanting to get the truth out meant I did put my anxiety aside and appear on Good Morning Britain.
Speaker 4: There are families who have lost children who believe and in fact factually have conviction. Because Lucy let Be has a conviction for the murder and attempted murder of those.
Speaker 1: Babies, questions about the grieving families understandably did come up.
Speaker 4: So when you investigate whether that conviction is unsafe, how do you handle those sensitivities?
Speaker 1: For me, I approach this as a mother and what would I want as a mother? I want to know I want to know the how, I want to know the why, and I want to make sure that the people who are accountable for what happened to my children are held accountable. And so as I approach this story, I'm very very sensitive about protecting the privacy and the dignity of the families and the victims while pursuing a course of investigation that is very, very focused on the facts. It's about what do we know about this hospital, what do we know about these cases, and what can we say we know for sure as opposed to what is speculation. I also spoke to several UK podcasts about the let Be case, including Andrew Gold for his podcast Heretics and questions about family and parenting came up here too.
Speaker 5: I suppose it's a horrible question, but would you know if you were having another child and you knew that Lucy let Be was going to be the nurse at that hospital, would you take your would you do it there?
Speaker 1: I mean I would go to the Countess of Chester Hospital for sure, but if it was at a proper hospital. I think the evidence that has revealed about the quality of care that Lucy let Bee was giving to those children was that she was highly qualified and there isn't evidence to suggest that she intentionally harmed any of these babies. So yeah, I would trust my baby in Lucy Letby's care.
Speaker 3: That's quite something.
Speaker 1: This interview was heard by a couple in Cheshire, parents who had had direct contact with Lucy let be Having been silent for a decade, they reached out to me, ready to share the story of what happened to their baby at the Countess of Chester Hospital.
Speaker 3: We want us to know for sure if any of the things that had happened to her, which we thought weld just medical, had been induced by this person that was being accused of.
Speaker 1: Medi This is doubt the case of Lucy let be Bus Episode three. Claire and Carl, what was your first experience of birth?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Fine?
Speaker 3: Easy?
Speaker 6: Is anything? I didn't even know it was in There wasn't enough pain. We opened said you need to push and I was like okay, and he was fine and perfect natural, no problems went home the next day.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, And how about for the birth of your daughter. This is Claire who gave birth to her daughter at the Countess of Chester in May twenty sixteen, when Lucy lutb was at her supposedly most day dangerous and prolific. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I was admitted a week before and I had the same week after. The pregnancy was awful. She was transverse, which meant she was lying sideways, but she was up, she was down sideways, just kept spinning around. I was older as well, so they were a little bit concerned about that. The actual birth was in an emergency section and it was the most traumatic thing I've ever gone through. Why is that just the way it They just they came into monitor me and said, her heart ras isn't very good. I'm going to push the big red button. It's going to get very busy, very fast. And it did, and everyone flew in and they just said go on your side. Get on your side. They just said we're taking you for a section now, and I was like crying. They wanted to put me to sleep, and I said no because I want Carl to be there, because his only experience of being a father than birth. They eventually agreed. They put the sheet up and there's so many people in there, and I asked them when they're going to start, and they said, we already have. I was getting punched to death in my stomach. Her thought was going to throw up. I was sweated. She took forty seven minutes to get out. She was little, she was tiny, and they just took her straight to check her over. And that's when KRL came in, and then Kyl came back with her to me, and that's when the nurse came past and said, we got to take her. She's got national flare, and they just took her away.
Speaker 1: Nostril flairing babies is a sign of potential respiratory distress, a very serious condition in such a small baby.
Speaker 6: So when the nurse looked at her, because she was wrapped up so well, she just saw no shells really flaring and said, sorry, just took her off, Carl. And then a guy came in and said, here's a picture of her. You can see her shortly after recovery. Obviously, I was in a wheelchair and I went in to see her and she was on lying on the front with a bomb in the air, and she had a big mask on her face, a breathing mask, loads of wires. And I said to the nurse, should she be lying on a front And they were like, she's fine, she's monitored up to everything, and they said she was okay, she just can't get a big breath in. And it was actually Lucy that said that to us. She explained what was going on.
Speaker 1: Carl, Claire's husband, also recalls Lucy on the neonatal ward.
Speaker 3: Lucy left being very sharious, very quiet, just quietly doing what she needed to do. It looked like she was taking stats, so she was looking at the monitor, she writing things down, and then she spoke to us briefly, and then she went on I think she was to another baby in the corner, and then off off the room.
Speaker 1: At this point, their new baby daughter Jessica, had had a battery of tests, including X rays and a lumbar puncture, and was now on antibiotics in case of any infection. All normal procedures, but they were told one thing that was a cause for a little concern. She had had two so called pale moments.
Speaker 6: And I said, what are they in the sense where the stats druck on. We don't know why, but she's okay now, So I was like, okay.
Speaker 1: In the following days, Claire and her husband Karl, spent time between the maternity ward and the neonatal unit. And before we get to how Lucy interacted with their baby. We need to understand what conditions were actually like in Countess of Chester Hospital because those conditions, if you recall, are at the center of the alternate non criminal explanations for the increased deaths during this time. What was it like on the maternity ward at the time.
Speaker 6: Not very good, to be fair. It was really old, really hot, like ridiculously hot. The doors didn't work properly or the bathrooms weren't very good. There was loads of arguments between staff and people staying on the wards with families. There was police called, there was security there. It just didn't seem very professional.
Speaker 3: Old seventies buildings, automatic doors not working right, you have to knock on a window to get someone to let you in, you know that sort of thing. Lots of hustle and bustle, lots of noise, you know, lefts out of order. The thing that comes across the most is is there's a lot of staff complaining and they're not quiet about it. So because we were there for a week and a half or a little bit longer, these people just naturally get to know you and they're just telling you about the day and that it's nothing. Both well, this isn't working such and such as an in today, so we're understaffed, or we can't do that now because that unit's been shut down for a deep clean, so we've got everybody working on that, so you're not going to get this today. Like everything was a series of compromises that these people had to make every day because of either understaffed or under equipped, or the facilities themselves went working so they were waiting for a plumber to come in, or they were waiting for an electrician, so that area was out of use until then.
Speaker 6: And the actual saturday she was born, I actually woke up with contractions and I was like, this isn't good. So I got up and went to someone and said I'm having contractions and they went, oh, wow, well done, and I was like, no, no, this isn't good. I can't have a naturally, you know, a foot might come out or she's lying the wrong way, and they just walked away, so I was like, I need to find someone.
Speaker 3: I wasn't shocked that they were all rushed and that we were understaffed, or shocked that they were people to answer questions. Was just that's just part and part of what happens when you go through the NHS system.
Speaker 1: What was it like when you went down to visit the neonatal unit.
Speaker 3: The way it's laid out is there's a room which is very very dark to keep the lights very low, and I think that's the room where they have like the sickest children.
Speaker 6: It was very very busy. They were like shooting everywhere the staff and there was monsters going off and that room was kind of quiet, but there were nurses just like going everywhere. There never still ever and they said, she's fine, she's fine, she's doing well. That was the first night. The second night she was out of there into a separate room in a cot, no dome over it, still wired up on the monsters to check our stats all the time.
Speaker 1: What would you say The vibe of the atmosphere.
Speaker 6: Was like it seemed very intense, very stressed. The atmosphere seems like you cut it with a knife sort of thing.
Speaker 3: It was very god you know.
Speaker 6: I mean we sat there with Jessica and a cart and monitors going off behind us and nurses rushing everywhere, and they're saying, oh, this baby keeps stop breathing. We don't know why.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 6: You know, it was very not inappropriate, but very high. I didn't want to sit there and witness that. I know, we're in a room with poorly babies, but I was like, oh gosh.
Speaker 1: Did it seem like the nurses knew what to do?
Speaker 6: Yeah, they did too fair.
Speaker 1: One of the things that the nurses brought up was a small detail, but knowing what follows is possibly a huge clue as to what was going on on the unit.
Speaker 6: They had a fright because they went to weigh her and she was like five pounds and we told us that she was six pound three when she was born, so she's lost a lot of weight very quickly. But they went and checked with a delivery room to make sure and their scales were out. I was like, wow, so many babies have got the wrong weight right now, all these babies been born, they've got the wrong weight, which is important with a newborn.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the buttons on what kind of food you give them, what dation you give them? Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was just shocked.
Speaker 6: Really, I was like, this really important part of a newborn baby is like how much they weigh to how much are they gaining weight? Are they losing weight, how much feed do you give them, how often you feed them, you know, things like that. I just couldn't believe it, really, for in a neonatal unit. Does it not work? You know, it's it's just ni bizarre.
Speaker 1: So if the scales were out on the maternity ward, could that mean the babies we know who died from overfeeding could have been saved? Eventually, thankfully, baby Jessica recovered.
Speaker 3: Lucy Leppie was the one who brought Jessica up to our room in the ward when she was free out of the need you to come up and sit with us, so she delivered it to us and that was a very short, quick interaction as well. She's just, you know, here's your baby kind of thing. She's all yours. My experience is very different than my wife should see, very very traumatic time for Claire, but for me it was like one of the best times of my life because my daughter's coming into the world and I thought everything was okay. So those that week and a half for me was really just filled with I can't wait to get at home and you know, make sure Claire was recovering quickly.
Speaker 1: How did it feel when you were able to go home?
Speaker 6: After Jessica finished around TOI Biotics and got the all clear, it was that she just like couldn't wait to get home, you know what I mean, just wanted to leave and never come back hever. And I got home, I just literally be put down. I just need to go outside and sit down outside and just give meself five minutes to say I'm home, you know. Yeah, it was really nice.
Speaker 3: To be here.
Speaker 1: Two years later, it's twenty eighteen and Jessica is growing healthy and happy. There had been some issues with her breathing, but she had recovered. Well, do you remember when you first heard that there was a case at the hospital against Lucy letb.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: My sister in law sent me a message said have you seen this? And I read it and I was like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: When you hear news like that, you go I knew there was something going on in that unit, but we didn't know what at the time. You just get a feeling for there's something wrong, there's attension in it in a place, you know. But again, because my experience has been reasonably positive, I hadn't thought about it and dwelled on it as much as Claire. So when the news came out. It more affected Claire more than me, really, and it's.
Speaker 6: Sprung to my mind that these pale moments that she had that couldn't be explained, which I found very strange considering I thought these people in the hospital where it's that unit were specialized in very sick children babies.
Speaker 3: My attitude was, she's here, she's happy, she's healthy, We're lucky. We don't need to be involved, you know.
Speaker 6: I said, well, I need to find out because you didn't sit with me.
Speaker 3: Well, we wants to know for sure if any of the things that had happened to which we thought were just you know, medical had been induced by this person that was being accused of Maurer because just like everybody else and the way the media portrayed it, we just jumped to the conclusion that she must be guilty. Why would you were arrested women for that, you know, if you didn't have proper evidence, and then the news are saying there's a confession and all the rest of us. So he's just like, well, this person has been in extremely close proximity to my daughter at the time that she was extremely ill. We did want to know if she would be involved in the investigation and that's when we reached out to the police.
Speaker 6: I emailed them, I said, the only reason is because she had these two pale moments and they won't explain to me why, And they just came back and said, well, look at her file.
Speaker 1: The police, working on Operation Hammingbird, agreed to investigate Jessica's file to find out if any intentional harm had been done to their baby by lucy LETB. Did you have any particular feelings about Lucy let be at the time when you when you heard about all of this.
Speaker 6: I at the time, I was like, first off, I couldn't believe it because they were so busy. Where they find the time, they always be together, there's always two nurses, So it's like, how on earth that could have possibly happened. I don't know, you know, because literally they were everywhere there was nurses just together, flip flip flip flipped to different things. And then I was like obviously concerned that something could have happened to Jessica and I wanted to know why. But the only interaction I had with at firstly was that very first I said, this is what we've done to her. I'm bringing her back to our room the police.
Speaker 1: The actually came back to the couple. Having gone through Jessica's file, they say there is no need for further investigation. Jessica will not be a part of the case against Lucy let Be.
Speaker 6: Really relieved obviously, like thank goodness, but then still had questions, really like if she's not being investigated, why does she have these moments where has start dropped for no reason at all.
Speaker 3: It didn't matter to me because she's here, she's happy, she's healthy, she's got a great mind, she's completely just everything you could ever want out of a child. So it was like, all's well, that ends well, was my kind of feeling. At that point.
Speaker 6: We thought, okay, we're done. Then it came out again in socials and the news that she was accused of more cases. So I thought to myself, well, if they missed that first time around, maybe they missed my daughters. So I said, look, I'm not happy, like, obviously new information has come out, so reinvestigate my daughter.
Speaker 1: In light of Lucy let Be's second arrest, Operation Hummingbird agreed to take another look at baby Jessica's file. They also make Claire and Carl an unexpected offer.
Speaker 6: Would you like to meet with the head of the hospital on the head of pediatrics and they can go through what happened to Jessica while she was in the unit. And I said perfect. And I said, okay, we'll arrange that you'll pay from the Countess in the next few days.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about that. Meeting at the hospital.
Speaker 3: Very much was a please don't sue. His meeting was the field. You know, we haven't done anything wrong. Don't worry. Your child was not in any way involved. Oh but by the way, she did have all these things done to her and you should know them already. It was a very dismissive attitude. Tools it was like, well, don't worry, she's fine, was the takeaway that they were trying to give it.
Speaker 6: One of them was head of the hospital and the one was the head of pediatrics. The head of pediatrics had a piece of paper with him and they said, I've got a list here of what happened to Jessica while she was missed onto the unit. I said, okay, yeah, read it outgrade. So they said she had what we was told. And then he said she needed to be intribated and have medicine put into her lungs to help her breathe, and we were like what and said, well, it says it parents informed and we were like, no, we were not informed at all because both of us just went oh, said you put oh, my gosh. Then the head of hospital said, well, she was the sickest baby in the unit for twenty four hours.
Speaker 1: Or she.
Speaker 6: I said, if I knew that, I wouldn't have left her side.
Speaker 3: We weren't told.
Speaker 1: In a meeting lasting forty five minutes, Claire and Carl finally get their answer as to why their baby had suffered pale moments.
Speaker 6: They said, well, a baby with reflux, if they lie in the back, they hold the breath on the stats druck and I said, if I knew that, then I wouldn't be here now. No one in a unit that worked with sick babies, who are specialized in looking after sick babies could tell me that.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 6: And he was like, well, that's what happens with the baby, broomy flops. They just hold the breath.
Speaker 1: And at the same time, they learned that the woman who was accused of being a serial killer of babies had complete access and control over the health of their newborn.
Speaker 6: And he was like, oh yeah, you know, quite blase about it. They said, oh, I know all the things in immediate at the moment about you know, certain staff members. But she was herly nurse and she went through all the right procedures to get help. So I sat there and I was like, wait, wait, you're telling me that the person in the media do you see that be was Jessica's lead nurse. And twice she had to call for help because she was going to die unless someone came to help. So she went all through the correct procedure and called the right people, did the right thing twice over two days.
Speaker 3: The revelation that this so called serial color had saved our child's life twice like an angel, without our knowledge, never asking nor telling us that you've done it. Never you know, it wasn't like she was trying to look at me, I'm the greatest nurse in the world. He didn't even tell us that she was their lead nurse. She just got on and did their job to the best of her ability. And now I have my daughter because of that. So this just doesn't make sense. You know, whenever we talk about any part of this, it alway comes back the same question. It just doesn't make logical sense. And when things don't make sense, it's usually either missing information or somebody's telling well not the other.
Speaker 6: You know, how is it possible that she's been accused of randomly going around these babies, but then sees my baby and does everything else she should have been trained for and saved her twice. She didn't do that, Jessica wouldn't be here, you know. She could have said nothing, you know, and nature take its course. But she didn't. It's so hard to get that round my head because it's like she was accused of being the serial killer, and I was like, well, why did she saved my daughter's life twice?
Speaker 1: Operation Hummingbird came back to the parents and confirmed again that there was no need to investigate Jessica's case.
Speaker 6: I asked the police, why do you think she left Jessica alone if she did do stuff? And she said lack of opportunity. I said, lack of opportunity. But she saved her life twice. That's a perfect opportunity right there if she wanted, but she didn't. She saved twice, and apparently Carl said he remembered the second intervention, Lucy actually did something to Jessica to help her before the consultant came in. So she more than just did the procedure, but she actually did something to her to help to save her. So I couldn't get that around me as a lack of opportunity. So nah, that's not an answer.
Speaker 1: For this family. The revelation that this supposed serial killer had gone above and beyond to save their child had a huge effect.
Speaker 6: I felt guilty for not being there for Jessica because it should have been at a bob And then I felt very guilty that in a way she survived on the other's died, so that stayed would be for a very time. I had nightmares, anxiety, really bad anxiety about her, the fear of losing her.
Speaker 3: All the time.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't leave her of anyone, didn't trust anyone. I wouldn't leave her with any medical person again by herself ever her or Dad is with her. After I found that out, that that's where the nightmare started of this losing her, you know, the loss of nearly losing her, people nabbring her, taking her, you know. It was it was really not a good time. I say it was a relief, but at the same time, it still didn't sit with me at all very well. It still bothers me now. I still got upsseessed about it. Now that shouldn't happen.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: I tried to talk to counselors about it. They don't seem interested in it. It's like they don't want to talk about it.
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I really don't know. I say to them, this is like what's happened in the last few is to me to make me feel quite sad or anxious. It is the anxiety that gets me. And I bring up Lucy, and I bring up the hospital and I just don't ever touch base on it.
Speaker 1: And these are just like therapists that you reach out to. Just people don't want to talk about it.
Speaker 6: I say, this has happened, you know that's happened, and I just never it's never talked about. Probably too frightened too.
Speaker 1: I don't know, how do you cope with all of this? Like it's almost like you have insider knowledge that other people don't have. Like is that strange? How do you cope with all of this?
Speaker 6: It's very frustrating when you're trying to give your information to help. Maybe I send an emails to the court when she was in trial to say, like, the scales were wrong, that's why overfeeding babies. Maybe that was why. Because I hate unfairness. I really do a simple thing like if they said, oh, this baby has dropped so much weight, let's get loads of milk in it, and then like you ever had that baby, Well, yeah, of course it is because your scales. Hospital scales are wrong in a neonatal unit. Call it this big email to Operation Hummingbird, and they basically said, well, she's been investigated twice and there's nothing there. It's like, no, you're not listening. It's not about her, it's about the hospital.
Speaker 3: I've got this idea that this potential serial color has saved my child. I'd say over ninety percent sure that they've blamed bad management and bad siege us and badly run units on one individual. Is she an opportunity to escape out somebody? I feel I don't believe for one minute that there's an individual out there who's capable of murdering one baby and then passing up on the opportunity to murder another twice. Maybe people can be that crazy. I don't know. I don't know. I hope not, but it doesn't make any sense to me. You know, I'd love to just sit down with Lucy and say, look, what happened that day, Why did you do what you did and why didn't you hear to if that's what you did. I said this to me, the only person that could add to that question for it is Lucy. If she is guilty, and if she's not guilty, then I don't believe a word that came out of the hospital's mouth anyway.
Speaker 1: Over the years, as more information came out about the case, doubt and confusion continued to grow for this couple.
Speaker 6: I asked the head of the hospital when we had that meeting at the time Jessica went into that unit, did you have any idea or any knowledge that anything were untoward was going on in that unit? Because if you did, you purposely knowingly put our daughter's life at risk. Does that be like base, wouldn't it? And he was like, nope, nothing, didn't know a thing. After we watched that documentary, I was like, they lied so bad because they absolutely knew, They absolutely knew way before Jessica went in there, that's something was going on and put her in there and lied about it, So I said to Carl. For all we know right now in that meeting, that could have been all wise.
Speaker 3: It's all about saving themselves from being sued or you know, bad press. They'll tell you anything to make you walk away happy. So I can't. We don't even know if Lucy actually did save our child. We think she did because it says so in the notes, but I don't know if I can even trust the notes. At this point. We're left in it like this limbo of who do you believe? Because the hospital can't be trusted, the police can't be trusted, Nobody seems to be interested in finding out what really happened anyway, apart from independent people like you said, It feels like the administration and everybody else involved and the media just decided that's she's guilty, and we're just going to make that fit however we can. How if we hear opposing opinions that we're just going to keep them quiet and push them off the way. That's what it feels like has happened.
Speaker 1: I really can empathize with your determination to know the truth of what happened, and it seems odd to me that someone would suggest to you well, what do you care? Your kid's fine? Can you talk to me about like how you manage that almost confrontation, like do you feel like people are questioning your motives?
Speaker 6: Or like I just say were you there? And they're like, no, I was. We were, so you didn't see the things we see. We didn't go through what we went through. You haven't been told that your child need die twice, but I suppose to say, real killer that saves a life twice, So you can't possibly imagine or start to imagine how it is for us, and the fact that if it comes out something different, could you sit there and obviously say someone's been in prison and been found innocent or whatever, and who saved our daughter's life twice? If we did nothing about it. We didn't stand shout up and say look this happened. There's events that happened that shouldn't have in the hospital. We don't sit well with that. We'm just telling our story, our experience of what happened to us whilst we were there with our daughter and afterwards when we had interaction with the hospital, because no one really listens to those stories. They want to hear the sad ones or the horrid ones or the pretty ones or you know ones that gets more interested in my eyes?
Speaker 1: How did you feel about the families of the lost babies at this time?
Speaker 6: It's like a survivor's guilty. She's my respare put at a cost of do say theirs and I want to do help you feel. I just couldn't bear it. It still upsets me to this day because I don't it to happen to my children. I'll never recover ever. Yeah, that's what I mean. It's like they've gone through so much for so long I can say I feel really really sorry for and you always will always.
Speaker 1: The tall Unclaire and Carl has been great, even for a family who were lucky enough to have been able to bring their child home safe. I want to thank them for sharing their story with me, but also the many people who have shared their personal stories and comments as well. Next week we meet with Mark MacDonald and David Davis in London to hear more about their involvement in the Lucy let Be case. That's next week on Doubt the Case of Lucy let Be. Doubt the Case of Lucy let Be is brought to you by Vespucci. iHeart Podcasts and Knox Robinson Productions. I've been your Host Amanda Knox. This episode was written by Isis Thompson. The producer was Isis Thompson. The assistant producer was Amy Gill. Senior producer is Natalia Rodriguez. The sound designer is Chandler Mays. The theme music was written by Tom Biddle, story editing by Natalia Rodriguez. Legal advice for the series was provided by Jack Browning. The producers at iHeart Podcasts are Chandler Mays and Katrina Norville. The executive producers were Joe Meek, Amanda Knox, Christopher Robinson, Daniel Turkin, and Johnny Galvin ac