Speaker 1: Isth Dallascowboys dot Com Draft Show, your war room for insider news and draft analysis from deep within the confines of Cowboys Headquarters at the Star Infrasco.
Speaker 2: And now your host.
Speaker 3: Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 4: Today is Tuesday, April twenty ninth, twenty twenty five, and we are three days following the NFL Draft in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Welcome into the final episode of the twenty twenty five version of the Draft Show. We've got Bobby Belt, Brian brought us, Chris Beam in the back, and right up here front and center, the stylish, the profiling, the vatch, Lombardi. What's up, dude, Yeah, you gotta turn around.
Speaker 3: Well, we got a podcast to do.
Speaker 5: Is that Vocher? Is that a crime boss from Sin City? Too?
Speaker 6: Listen?
Speaker 3: Man, you know, uh, we had a dress code Friday and Saturday, and I had I had plans to you know, put all my little all my little fits together and apparently Middle Light pays a lot of money for us. Well on Polo, you know what I'm.
Speaker 7: Saying, So getting your money's worth right now.
Speaker 3: They get I'm getting these fits off brown bro.
Speaker 7: It look good.
Speaker 3: So we're gonna do this one. And I got the break tomorrow. I'm gonna wear another one on the damn break tomorrow and then we're going right back. Take a T shirt.
Speaker 2: You're look you there.
Speaker 4: You made an appearance on Talking Cowboys today, you worked your way in for the final Draft show, and now you're on the break tomorrow.
Speaker 2: The rent do, Calum, do what you gotta do. I respect it.
Speaker 4: Also these draft pins, by the way, that the lapel pins. Hey Vach had those custom made for all of us that we wore throughout Super.
Speaker 5: Six, super cool.
Speaker 3: I was happy to see you wearing it on TV when you was doing the everything I did, I had it on because I was like, man, y'all just doing this to be nice. Y'all really hated but oh no, see I loved it.
Speaker 2: I matched it with my ties and everything I did, the whole thing.
Speaker 3: The one mistake I made was up with twenty twenty five on This is used as next year, so I again, it won't be a date on it.
Speaker 2: But hey, that's okay. It looks great. It really does.
Speaker 4: And can't wait to use it again next year. And just put a little sharpie mark over the five.
Speaker 3: I'll get you in it.
Speaker 2: They wouldn't it all right, let's break down this NFL draft.
Speaker 4: We're gonna do it by segment and we're also going to fit in some twitter on the twenty questions as that goes along.
Speaker 2: But I want to start just generic thoughts on day one.
Speaker 4: Then we'll go into Day two and segment two, and then of course Day three and segment three.
Speaker 2: Brian, I'll start with you.
Speaker 4: The Cowboys go out and get Tyler Booker, twelfth overall pick out of Alabama. They they bring him in. Everybody loves the guy. Everybody loves his his demeanor, his personality. But from an ex's and O standpoint, it feels like a fit too.
Speaker 7: No, it absolutely does.
Speaker 8: And you know this, These are the things that you know, working in player personnel for as long as I did, that you can appreciate about a draft is there was a lot of conversation leading up to the actual draft the day of would uh, you know, what particular wide receiver be there for them or would they pay the wide receiver position? And I have to give them some credit here, you know, I do think that they would have liked the opportunity to have.
Speaker 7: Drafted Ted McMillan.
Speaker 8: But you know, the draft is the draft and sometimes players get selected before you and you have to be able to pivot. And I think the Cowboys did a really nice job of really following their board. I can't stress that enough, folks how difficult that could be at times. But there were players between where McMillan was and maybe the next best wide receiver. It just wasn't a slam dunk that they were just gonna that they had both wide receivers right there and they were going to take And clearly Booker was very very high on their board, and it absolutely that's one of the better players at that time to select. And if you look at the situation, you could say, well they.
Speaker 2: Drafted for need there.
Speaker 8: Well, yeah, they drafted really, in my opinion, the best player for them. But he absolutely can fill the need at the right guard. So sometimes you take the best player and it absolutely fits one of your needs.
Speaker 7: So's it was.
Speaker 8: I give him a lot of credit for their stock and the way that they were able to get to their their player there in the first round.
Speaker 3: You know, one thing we should we should feel really decent about and give the Jones this some sort of credit for is that they are aware of their needs. You know, Uh, there's there's this rhetoric online that oh, we're just gonna run with the wire receivers that we have. There's plenty of conversation going on, whether it be from Nick Harris or Jane our got Bobby there that that the Cowboys are looking into wide receivers. So at least we know that they know what the problem is. Right with that being said, if you have this mindset of a post draft will fix everything that we need right now. Take the best dudes. I have no complaints about that. If we're having conversations about the best guys, I know we need wide receiver. I know we like this Golden kid. He's only had about three good games and we could really pull from to say that we love or this a Mecca Booger kid. He's been a wire receiver too. I get it, And maybe they may not be the best bang for our buck. This Tyler Booker kid and SEC football has been whooping everybody for three years. He has a long track record of whooping NFL players for three years. Look at those Texas teams, those Georgia teams, all those pros that that that come from those programs or whatnot. The Michigan's win. He lined up against those guys. He's been whooping qualified characters. And the one thing I can say about this pick is you're gonna plug him in. You're gonna put him at record. I don't want to hear no nonsense about well, he's a rookie, so we're gonna play with the threes over on the other field. When we get the camp he's gonna line up with it. When when when I don't know who was who was responsible for, but when they did that with Guiden and and and BB, I was like, we know Guiden and BB gonna be the starterst why are we messing around with this. I need to see Tyler Booker versus Osa immediately. I need to see him versus Mazi and those characters and get him in that water and get him acclimated because he's gonna be a Day one guy for us. He's a Day one guy for us, and just as a as a as a player, that's gonna come in and he's gonna move a gap for us. He's gonna move be gap for us. He's gonna help Terrence Steele give get back to his old life. I think this offensive line is be fantastic. I've even named him the mall of America. You know, you ma all people, all of Americas fire because we're about to move people. And Clay bad and look, Clay Nabs came out and said it, man, look all this. I'm not about making guys do stuff that they're not good at. You know, I don't want to pin and pull these guys if they're not pinning pool guys. Tan Tyler Guidon could play tight end. Let him pull but let but let Tyler Booker be the pind let him be the whoop guy. And I think that this coaching staff has a really good idea about how to use him. It's gonna be fun.
Speaker 4: The only place that nickname would be better would be if Minnesota had a badass offensive line. Hey, if the Vikings had to be sick offensive line, that's.
Speaker 3: A great But we're America's team. Yeah, so the mall of America. So the mall of America's team. No, it's too long.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're trying to sounds like a fortune where it's before and after. Now look, I mean, the biggest complaint you heard from, but I think everybody, even those who didn't want Booker initially, which I think was just out of a lot of fans. It was just they didn't have a fareness of who he was or he wasn't one of the ones we focused on as much as McMillan and others, and so I think that was part of it. Then there's another group that just didn't like the position being taken.
Speaker 2: Position value.
Speaker 5: I think on the front of the position, I'm going to take issue with anybody who has gone after the position itself. I understand if you wanted something else, but I'm still going to take issue with it, cause here's the thing. He's going to start immediately. He's going to be better than what you had. So if you can take a rookie and put them in your lineup and say we're better than the veterans who are there, it was a need regardless. I don't care if you had a body there, It was a need if you can put a rookie in there and they can start right away. And the other thing is when people are talking about what's the value of a guard at number twelve, I'll tell you what like guard today is not guard fifteen years ago. A gap pressure is how teams try to get to quarterbacks. Now, a gap pressure is how you in this league where they're trying to get the ball out in two two and a half seconds, that's the quickest route to the quarterback is through the A gap. If you're leaking in the A gap or in the beginn you've got massive problems as an offensive line, and this is an offensive line that did have problems with that, including when Zach Martin was in their last year. Zach Martin didn't play. Particularly Tyler Booker not first career, but Tyler Booker next year, I'm confident will be better than what Zach Martin was giving you last year. Sure, and what you got in general from the offensive line at that spot last year. So Booker helps them right away. I think he's the highest careers Brian, the highest floor offensive lineman they've picked since Zach Martin in terms of not that he equals Zach Martin, but that you're talking about somebody ready to come in and start now as a rookie. The last guy they had like that was Zach Martin. So I think he's really strong across the board. I think he's got the potential to be a Pro Bowl player. And you're talking about somebody who when the stack was tight and they looked for the tie breakers of character and leadership and things like that. He blew everybody else out of the water. You know, you hear from the Scouts, you hear from Schottenheimer. Their offensive line coach at Alabama, Chris kapelovic I had reached out to him on Thursday night and he said, he's the best leader he's ever coached in his football career. He's a top tier in his preparation. So to me, you're getting everything that Shoddy has preached as the number one issue for them since January, since he got here, and you're feeling, what is a need if a rookie's starting there? It was a need.
Speaker 8: I think that we were guilty here on our end of it though, too, And I think as a media or the Scout media that, especially with this football team, we talked a lot about wide receivers. We really hammered it here. I mean we you know, it was every day. It seemed like we were talking about McMillan. We were talking about Golden, we were talking about Abuka, we were talking about Yeah.
Speaker 7: Sure we did.
Speaker 8: We talked about Booker and stuff like that. But we didn't talk about it in the way you know of this, you know. They they looked at it as sure, we're going to just draft our board. You guys can talk about that wide receiver room all you want. And you know, and and I think that we conditioned fans to to think.
Speaker 7: Wide receiver, wide receiver, wide receiver. You know.
Speaker 8: So I feel like, to me, where we we were able to to come back and talk about, well, here's Booker and here's how he fits and this is what he's able to do.
Speaker 7: But there was so much.
Speaker 8: Wide receiver talk, and I think the fans were just thinking, like, that's what it's going to be, and their their expectations of that was to be that. So I feel guilty in a way of just of hammering that point. But I also felt like that we did have some discussions about Booker and exactly the type of player he is, and uh, you know, but I, like I said, I give them a lot of credit for the way they stacked their board and the way that they appeared like they didn't jump any tags to go get this player. And they think a lot of them And as Bobby and Boch just said this, this guy will come in and he'll do a fine job.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I think I don't think you should feel bad about positioning the wide receiver to Need. That was very clearly their top meets Steven identified Yeah, still is their top meat and I'm.
Speaker 8: Going to address it elsewhere, but I just felt like we really hammered it though.
Speaker 5: Well, that was their target. Mc millan was their target. Here's the thing I think that's important too for people who are that's still their top me If they would have had somebody that was in the range that was close to Booker, I think they picked a receiver. I think what that is a testimony to is Golden and Booker were not close. If it was close, if they were a little yeah, they were a little below them. I think they take the receiver because they go, hey, it's close enough that we do have this as a need, a bigger need. But I think we've seen enough of how frequently the scouting staff has been right in their evaluations of players that to me, if they have somebody uncomfortably separated from the guy they picked and the only reason to take them is a need and chat, then to me, I wouldn't want them doing.
Speaker 3: That also to just around Cowboy Nation, Twitter online and all this kind of stuff. I think one of the biggest disagreements that happened was is that there were some Cowboy fans that thought that brock Hoffman was the first team guy. And I like Brock Coffin man, no dish better Brock Coffin, But the Cowboys just don't see it that way. Last year, the conversation was all right, Hoffman can be a starting center for you, and the Cowboys immediately say we can be. I mean, we moved him center. That's it, that is it.
Speaker 4: He was better in training camp to start the whole first two weeks of training camp, brock Hoffman was better, and they still moved Cooper.
Speaker 3: B b still moved. And now the narrative this year wasn't you can see it online. Hey we are fine at right guard. Hey, Zach's retiring, but we're gonna put Brock in there.
Speaker 2: We're gonna move.
Speaker 3: Right on from Brock. This tells you what they really think Brock is. And I'll give him credit. He's probably the best interior swing backup center you can find in this guard center in this league. But I think they just wanted a little more juice. They just want a little more. And this will tell you that they looked at right guard as a need, like they looked at wide receiver as a need, like they looked at corner.
Speaker 8: I think you saw brock Hoffin is absolute best for five six games.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's where you see brock Hoffin at his best.
Speaker 8: I don't know if they really thought that seventeen games was going to be the best for them with them playing.
Speaker 5: That he's a unit player, like brock Hoffmin's strength comes in how he contributes to the entire unit rather than as an individual player. He definitely gave them something in terms of an edge and the physicality. And I have more respect for brock Hoffman than than a lot of players in this league. Not that I disrespect, but like, I just hold him in high regard for the work ethic that that guy has. Is awesome, toughness about the commitment to the team, the willingness to do whatever. I think he's somebody that I want him here in this building for as long as he's going to be playing, because I think he brings something that you need. I think it's also important to remember that you do have a new offensive line coach and one of the biggest fans of Brock Coffin in this building was Mike Silari, who's not right?
Speaker 7: You're here?
Speaker 8: Yeah, Now a lot of guys are in that boat right now.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, in a lot of different positions.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, we'll talk about it.
Speaker 4: There's it's going to continue through the offseason and into training camp.
Speaker 3: Sega, segma going to be fired. I'm going to.
Speaker 4: Talk about the last thing on Booker and a lot of the disagreement that that Bobby was mentioning earlier that fans and media have is where Booker aligned on the consensus board compared to where he ended up going at twelve. A lot of people were saying he was thirty one, thirty two on these consensus boards, these media boards. And I said it on Talking Cowboys. I'll say it again here just because I'm not going to discredit the work that the media scats do, because you and I we all know how much work we put into it, how much film we watch, how many notes we take. All of that is great, and it's an opinion that was across the board that Tyler Booker would have been a lower first round pick. But at the end of the day, our opinion is one thing. Their opinion is another and their opinion was that he was a first round player, and they stuck to their board and went with.
Speaker 8: I think the biggest problem that people have real quick, Bobby, is that maybe the athletic ability.
Speaker 7: Maybe that's the biggest.
Speaker 8: Question already asked scores pretty people are like, they're taking those metrics and they're they're honestly holding it against the kid. Whereas watch will tape. You watch the film, He's kicking LSU's ass. He's kicking floor in his ass.
Speaker 3: That's just so miss. I actually made a highlight tape it's on my Twitter right now of Tyler Booker climbing to the second level pulling black and ins black and line.
Speaker 8: Though that's the question, that's the question I think that people had that that is the sky an athletic because we're hearing the element of pin and polls and things like that, and then we have the opportunity to interview the coaches and they're saying, listen, we will adjust to whatever we have, you know, and then immediately that's like, okay, they're not going to try and force anything here.
Speaker 7: And Tyler Booker, it is a really really good pick.
Speaker 5: It really do I want Booker lead blocking around the edge consistently. No, I don't, but but like I'm like, I mean, he's not he's not an elite athlete. That's true. But I will say part of it's funny to me. I think if you watch his tape against or with Alabama, part of it is also he's trying to beat Jalen Milroe to the spot and hellows so fast, like like, I mean, you want him to pull and get there before Milroe does. Like that's partially going to be what's happening there.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: Second, I think that to the point of consensus. I talked to people from three different teams outside of Dallas, and they all said they thought Booker was going to go on the top twenty.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: The league thought he was a top twenty.
Speaker 8: I had a scout from another team that the night of the draft when he was selected, this scout who has that area told me he says, that was one of my favorite players to scout this year, just overall, the player, the type of person he was, everything about it, and you know, and that was very very encouraged that when the Cowboy scout told me that was a guy from another team that was He's like, man, you guys got you a great one there.
Speaker 3: I heard, But I could be wrong. But wasn't Houston trying to trade up to get Booker?
Speaker 4: Like like were trading up for an offensive lineman. I don't know if it was Booker or not. I never heard specifically outside of that on you or something different.
Speaker 5: I hadn't heard who they were coming up for. I just knew they were. They were coming up. They were trying to come up. It's just too big a drop.
Speaker 3: It's probably gonna be Booker because all the other offensive linemen were going at that point. It was Booker and Donovana Jackson that was left over that you would think that they would take seriously enough to take it as well.
Speaker 8: I mean, the whole thing was Simmons. It didn't sound like to me with the Simmons stuff, it wasn't so much about the knee. It was about maybe the character stuff. That was the thing that ultimately got him. Where did he end up going first round? That was the kitching Andy Reid pick.
Speaker 3: That was what it was.
Speaker 2: He had himself a.
Speaker 5: Dress New Cincinnati, Kansas City, and the care. I just don't see how you could how you could.
Speaker 7: Watch them in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: I don't see how you could look at that film, Booker's film. I don't see how you could look at it and thoroughly examine it and not come away fully impressed with it. Like some like I get it, man, some players got warts on film. You know what I'm saying. But if you watch him versus the I'm gonna keep saying this versus the competition that he's playing again, I got film of him picking up to Andre Sweat and dropping him on his head. It exists. It's out there, bro man, watch a little bit of film. I think this is as clean as a big as you can get. And yeah, if you're a team, you asked him to do wide zone, so yeah, sure. But Clayton Adam saying that we moving line of scrimmage and do one, I think this slam slammed up for the player.
Speaker 5: And if you want to talk about somebody who had to face the most complex defensive fronts, and Blitz looks that the sec or that football really has to offer the college level. He saw it consistently against Georgia. The stuff that Kirby Smart does with late shifts and everything else are the type of things that gave Texas Hell in the first game that couldn't protect when you weres because of it, And it's the same sort of stuff. Those sort of shifts are the same problems that give NFL team's problem with communication. He's prepared for it. He's gone up against all your big time SEC defensive tackles for years, the Jordan Davises and people like that who are up in the NFL. Now that those are the type of players he's gone against and handled as an All American.
Speaker 4: Really excited to see how he fits in. Because we're talking about the ex's and o's, we're still not even talking about the person that he is.
Speaker 3: How impressive is this.
Speaker 4: It's unbelievable. I've never seen anything like it. The way that he interacts with people, coaches, front office, just regular staff members, media. I mean, it's really impressive.
Speaker 3: So I'll saying on on YouTube everything that he says, I just believe him, Like he's a believable guy. I remember, I'm not even going to say the player that plays here right now, but his press conference last year, right he was like, yeah, man, you know, I just I like to hurt people like the people. Man, I'm just physical like that, and I'm like, bro, yo, your film don't even say that? Why why you line with us right now by the home time? About like, bro, your film don't even say that? Why don't tell me what I want to hear? Just because there's a camera and and people watching you. It sounded sensational how he was trying to say it to us, like, Hey, I'm here now, and this is what I like to do. But Tyler Booker, very matter of factly. Look, I imagine my opponents, and I imagine what the what the what the crowd sounds like, and what the wind smells like, and what sweat tastes like. And and oh I saw number number four for l s U and I wanted to go over there and whoop me and say something to it. You can find films I posted that place. You can find film of him doing these things. You can find whooping people, even him looking for work. Bro, It is even him looking for work. It'll he'll have nobody to block and his center of being trouble. I'm gonna go over there and smoke who's ever lined up over my center? I believe him when he talks to us. This is a slam dunk. I don't want to keep selling it because it sounds like, you know what I mean, like I'm just doing doing too much to vouch for my guy that I've been talking about, you know, since January. So I ain't trying to be told you so gay. This kid's impressive.
Speaker 4: We've sat on this show. I told y'all, so you were top eight, wasn't it? He was eight on eight to the We've sat on this show the Tuesday after the draft before and just been flabbergasted by picks. It's happened, and we wouldn't be afraid to say it that way. I think all of us are in consensus here that we like to pick and we like to fit. Now I think we're also inconsistence that Day two was special.
Speaker 3: Kyle, let me take so for you.
Speaker 1: Move on.
Speaker 3: If Gray's Abel would have been the pick as well, I'd be mad as hell for pot as in a row. Ain't no shame gaming, what Dave is wrong?
Speaker 4: Go ahead, gotta get over at that point, the uh, we're going into day two when we come back here on the Draft show, the Cowboys find some value in the second and third round.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about it right after this with more of the draft showy.
Speaker 9: Life is a workout, and Smoothie King is here to help you power through. Whether you're maxing out overhead presses, pushing through chest flies, or being the hero your golden retriever needs to carry them over that scary bridge. Smoothie King has the fuel to help you go all out, build muscle and boost your recovery with forty five grams of protein, zero grams of addage sugar, and delicious customizable ingredients and the Gladiator Smoothie available in chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla only at Smoothie Gain.
Speaker 10: All Right, Drew Pearson, former Dallas Cowboy and now Pro Football Hall of Famer, Here, if you're struggling with your vision and tired of those contacts and glasses, don't throw a hell Mary, go where I went. Laser Care Eye Center, the official laser partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Drew, thank you so much for trusting us with your vision correction procedure. At Laser Care I Center, we offer six different vision correction procedures to help patients see check.
Speaker 10: Them out at dfwis dot com. Tell them Drew sent you. Hoo hoo.
Speaker 11: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: As they snapped the fresh guy who looks right, it's not there. He escapes left.
Speaker 2: He'll look throw a first down.
Speaker 12: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust.
Speaker 2: With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands.
Speaker 3: Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world.
Speaker 2: To buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 6: Press Scoft's gonna run this in self, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 12: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, they've got you covered.
Speaker 7: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 12: Get started at blockchain dot com Cowboys fans.
Speaker 13: When it comes to navigating the ever changing world of tax, your business needs a partner it can trust to tackle even your biggest tax challenges. Ryan is the largest firm in the world dedicated exclusively to business taxes. Our team of tax professionals has local expertise in all areas of tax and can help you uncover savings opportunities you didn't know you had. Learn more about how Ryan can improve your overall corporate tax performance by visiting Ryan dot com. Ryan the official tax partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: Yes he is.
Speaker 14: The Dallascowboys dot Com Draft Show, the sixtieth Academy of Country Music Awards are returning to Ford Center at the Star in Frisco on May.
Speaker 4: Enjoy live performances from Laney Wilson, Blake Shelton, Eric Church and more. Don't miss this celebration six decades in the making, hosted by entertainment icon Reba McIntyre. Tickets are available now at seak geek dot com. Great event, always a ton of fun, and we'll talk about some more of those events that will be popping up here at the Star. In the third segment, Alongsidevach Lombardi, Brian brought us Bobby Belt. I'm Kyle Yowans with Chris Beam in the back. Moving on today too, the Cowboys select Donovan Azeraku edge rusher from Boston College with the forty fourth overall pick, and then at seventy six they take Savone Ravel Junior. I'm trying to rack the history books for Dallas, Brian when it comes to the draft classes that they've had where they've found as much value as they did on Day two this year.
Speaker 8: It's amazing to me and I just know looking at how I had the player stacked, it's almost not almost, it's in reverse order. The player, the third round player would have been my top player, the second round player right where he was taken, and then you know, with Booker, he would have been the third guy. But if you can tell me that I can grab three of my top players in the first thirty seven picks, you know, I'm I'm I'm totally on board with what they did here, and I think, to me, this once again is just a great example of them following their board. You know, I know, as a Roku, we've we've we've talked about him. Boy, we like him as an edge rusher and all that. Did we have him earmarked for the Dallas Cowboys? I don't think so, but you know, we talked about him. Hey, somebody's going to get this guy who's got this this elite bend and ability to finish at the quarterback and you can move him around, and so that that to me. When when that pick happened, you know, we were all kind of talking about, well, here it comes the running back, here comes the potential corner, you know. But the way that they stack their board once again, I think they got a hell of a player. And you know that's when you look at now, when you look at the group as a whole with Michael Parsons and as a Roku and Fowler, and we'll see what happens with Sam Williams and stuff. Man, they've got some legitimate edge rushers that can cause some teams problems. And they've got a couple of guys with Micah and this guy that they can move around and maybe even put on the same side to cause problems. You know, there's there's a lot of different combinations you can use with this guy's he's an outstanding player, really is.
Speaker 5: Has the statute of limitations expired on a draft board from twenty two years ago? Brian, can you identify a grade from twenty two years ago? Do you think safely?
Speaker 7: No? No, probably not.
Speaker 2: Maybe names if it's specific names.
Speaker 5: Okay, I want to say specific names. He got if we're just talking value, he got in three, Witten in the third, of Al Johnson and the second Brady James and the fourth. Were those all high guys?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Uh I if I remember Parcells the Al Johnson one because we were all sc remit it built a draft went and in the second round and we were worried, and it just happened to be a draft where it was Dallas Clark and uh, there's just all these tight ends and so you know, we're like, gosh, please that we can't do this, just pick him, and Bill's like, no, no, we've got to have the center. I got to have the center. And we just got lucky. The draft got smiled on us that day. But I think the best value of a draft that ever, in my opinion, that we had here was the five one when you start looking at Chris Canty and Ratliffe and those guys.
Speaker 2: He did a documentary over there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that was that draft was special in the way that it fell for the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: What about a Zeke Jalen Smith and Deck like like value as.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so post after the draft dec is going to be higher. Sure, obviously so, but like at the time, like I don't know where they would have had grated Like j Jalen was the top. He was just an injury flag.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had like a second grade, a second round grade on Deck.
Speaker 4: I was even looking at like twenty twenty like CD Lamb, trave On Niggs, Neville Gallimore. But I still don't think Gallimore had the same value on their board that of Revel.
Speaker 8: It would be it's it would be like I say, it's with Revel, how that plays is going to be That's going to be the one that could be the kicker and he could very well be the best of the three when this, you know, I'm I'm really looking forward to, you know, Britt Brown and this this medical staff getting with this kid because he wants to work, he wants to get back out on the field. And you got a guy with like a Britt Brown that will just we'll get after it and help him get there. And so you know, he's it's it's so encouraging that they got to him. I thought you were going to have to take him at forty four to get him, and the fact that they got him at seventy six, I think is I'd say the word draft guds clearly smiling on him on that pick.
Speaker 3: You know, Coach White Kiden came up and said me like, hey, we we need a lot of dudes to make this thing work. And if you think about the Cowboys two years ago when that pass was was that pass us was like really good, Dante Fowler was like the fourth guy. And now he's like our second.
Speaker 2: Guy, right, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: So you you you have to look at pass rushing like it was a need coming into this thing. You know, we don't know what we have in Sam Man. You know we were talking about, Hey, your guys out the building. Yeah, dan Quinn's gone and Sam got hurt and he didn't even get a chance to be a part of Zimmer's administration. So so now you are two coaches removed saying wiives if you don't show up and do something expeditiously, sir, you you you are, you are under the fire. I think I think Donovan is here. I think Donovan knows how to get sacks day one. The Cowboys clearly have a type. Donovan got length, those long arms, eighty three inch wingspan, something like that. It's like ninety first for sure. And he can pass rush right now. Even if you want to set the rolls up and say, well, Mike's not gonna come off the field all too too much, you know, kneeling is your rundown guy. Peyton Turner would be a rundown guy. Even if Donovan is a rock who day one is not a full blown rundown guy. He's at least a dude that you can line up on this edge, that lineup at linebacker. You want to put Mike at linebacker, put him at edge and move all these guys around. You have day one usage with him, and I think edge was a was a bigger need than we even talked about. So that's two. That's two picks in a row where the Cowboys kind of fixing need that. While we're harping on a receiver and running back, they're thinking, Hey, if this pass rush is here, how can we not you know, take them. And there are some mid dress that had him in the first round, and you know, even Ross Winch now somebody said that they didn't think that he would even be there, like so I guess common knowledge would be and Bobby could tell us where the league had Donois. So to get him at forty four, it's a blessing man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Ezeraka was a borderline first. I think for most people in the league they thought he was going to go, and at the very least they thought he'd be one of the first off the board in the top of the second. So to get him midway through the second is definitely a good value thing. I think in terms of like stacking the defensive line depth and doing different things. I haven't looked at the tendency yet on Chicago. I will say I know that Aaron Whitecotton coming from Jets and forty nine ers philosophy and Adieberflus being brought up in Rod Marrinelli's philosophy, that is heavy defensive line rotation, that is, you are eight deep a lot of the times because there's so much that they asked them to do, get up field, get up field, just like run the motor. Run's so hot that a lot of times they want to keep fresh legs. And Marinelli's big thing was always fresh legs for the end of the game, like making sure you had guys that were not getting drained throughout the game. And so I think that that's definitely speaks to the likelyhood of a strong rotation that they're gonna run and you've got like Kneeland, Ezraku, Parsons, Williams, Fowler and so a lot of depth. There's clearly what they're looking for. I'd say one of the things that I don't know that we've talked about it really with Ezraku, but it does stand out to me when I was watching his tape, was have you noticed how frequently and even for a guy who is technically undersized, I guess, do you notice how frequently like a tackle would look like they had like vice scripted him and he'd break out of it. But like, because so frequently you see tackles when they get their hands on him, it's just demorla and edge rushers are done. He flips what looks like pass rush pass rush losses into victories like that.
Speaker 3: His it's because of his his his rush pattern, right, he doesn't just stay outside. I saw this one rush. It was against it was one of the Carolinas. Whatever, he'll rush outside, counter back inside. He'll look like he'll be beat, but he doesn't stop. Chain and moves together like he's a super nuanced pass rusher right now, on top of the idea that he's bendy, his hell.
Speaker 2: Or his arsenal is nuts.
Speaker 3: I see, I've seen this. I don't want to cuss on y'all show, but how many times have y'all seen him fake hands high? Offensive lineman put hands high and he bends his ass up under here, Like if you're a college football player, you're just not ready for that, I haven't seen that yet. You know, now when you get to the lead, maybe they've seen that before. But just as a day one arsenal ready to go, you don't have to tea. And that was my biggest That was my biggest grap by Mike Hail Williams. Right, you can't have Mike Hill and come in and be like all right, time to get sacks when he hasn't done this before. Donovan gets sacks and he's not he's not running until he's not efforting his way and tol him. He's getting he's gaining him.
Speaker 8: There's so many times where we're watching these edge rushers and as they were going and I know you and I watched with our show, so I was talking about why is he going down the middle? Why is he going down the middle? Why is he going down the middle. This guy doesn't play down the middle. This guy plays underneath you, he plays around you, he attacks shoulders, he'll go inside of you.
Speaker 7: He's not gonna sit there.
Speaker 8: And that's one of the problems I had with the Texas A and m kits. I just kept felt like they were just kept rushing down the middle, down the middle, down the middle, and mikel Williams was really and watch is right the same way. You know, come on, when are you get to try and win that edge, when you can try and dip, when you can try and play low shoulder, when you get to try and flatten that angle. You know, you just didn't see it with this guy, him and our guy at Marshall.
Speaker 2: Mike Green.
Speaker 3: I thought so.
Speaker 8: I thought those were the two best pass rushers when it came to attacking a shoulder, getting low and then finishing where they needed to.
Speaker 4: I thought the technique from Mezeraku is NFL ready. The side in the length is NFL ready, the speed off of the jump is NFL ready. The one thing that is a knock is his strength, like his play strength, But he plays with his hands so well, specifically the way he's able to play him and the way he's able to work around these or these tackles he's that's something you can grow on. That's something you can coach, you can get better at as time goes on.
Speaker 5: He doesn't have brute strength, but I mean there's pop in his hands.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 5: It shocks guys. And like I said, when he gets locked in, that's.
Speaker 2: Gonna get better.
Speaker 4: As he does get some brute brute strength whenever he works in an NFL strength and conditioning.
Speaker 5: Even when he gets tackles hands on him, he's still strong enough to like, I mean, he will, he'll he'll break, he'll break the grip.
Speaker 3: Also too, Like if he's bending all game right and he's outside shoulder, outside shoulder as a tackle, you get used to that and you go, all right, let me overcompensate for his outside speed, and that's when he'll he'll he'll run down a milliu in bull russe or whatever, just fantastically.
Speaker 2: Michael wanted to ask the question on Twitter on the twenty.
Speaker 4: He said, if the if the Cowboys had moved up to get Tetoro at McMillan, it would cost their third round pick in order to do so. Likely, So now we know that what we've got, would you rather have the picks that you have, the three Booker Ezraku Revel or would you rather have tedor Rolla, McMillan and Aserraku in the second.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you how good of a question that is, because they've asked us this before, Like you trade up and you lose picks, but you don't have names on.
Speaker 2: The picks that you know who you're gonna get.
Speaker 3: We just got picks, and we could be assumed that the Cowboys aren't going to do the right thing and draft properly. Right, But you got three players in my top twenty eight and Brian's top thirty seven. Yeah, I think that's better than Tip McMillan donovan and wait until pick one forty nine to take Bluke.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think if if you're without your third round pick, your philosophy of the second round pick may differ too. You may not have the leeway to say we'll take a corner in the third or day three. We may have to take Will Johnson who was there at forty four. We might have to take Benjamin Morrison who was there forty four. Tree Almos, I would.
Speaker 8: Rather have the picks that we got, No, I mean to me, it's it was very logical when you talk about Vach mentioned the three players. I got the twelfth best player with the third round pick. I got the twelfth best player on my board with a third round pick.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Now you'll say, okay, Brian, it was probably because of some injury and stuff like that, but they you know, this kid is you know the fact that doctor Cooper, who.
Speaker 7: I know very well, did the surgery. I think this kid's going to be just fine.
Speaker 8: I think he's going we're going to look back at this one day and we're going to go, Wow, what a steal that player was. And so to me give me the opportunity. If you tell me I could get at seventy six, I could get the twelfth player off my board. I don't care how good Ted McMillan is. I'm I'm I'm happy with the way that went.
Speaker 5: Can I give you a scenario, yes, because I think if they trade up and they lose their third and their fourth, I think they definitely bail out of their second round. They trade back and they pick up a fourth is what I think. They do everything they can to pick up that. They were trying to do that anyway, So I think it becomes more would you then want McMillan, And then when they move back in the second they probably take Revel because I would imagine as Iraku is off the board, and then the fourth you're taking Sampson, I would guess somebody like Dylan Sampson. So then the question I think becomes McMillan Revel Samson or Booker Revel as Iraku.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what they got.
Speaker 5: I like, I think I'd stick with what they got to ye, I was.
Speaker 7: Sure that they like Sampson as much as I mean.
Speaker 5: I think, I think, I think where they would have to move back in order to pick up capital at that point in probably back half of the fourth round, Samson's probably close to the running back that they would have taken. Sampson Blue statement still may have been in conversation.
Speaker 7: That's what I was wondering. If Blue has still been in the conversation.
Speaker 3: Tit tit would have been fun, But I would need a jmar Chase type wide receiver like type due to make me feel good about moving on from the holiday week.
Speaker 5: I think Tet was relatively around the same great as Booker. It's just Tet was the need like I think that. I don't think it's like Ted was just generational above what they were looking at Booker.
Speaker 4: I heard the same kind of thing, like they were very close together on this.
Speaker 8: It's Nick Millan would have won out. Its very clear the way that their bored. It's very clear that that that what happened. Did He obviously was the second he was behind McMillan and very close. There there was you know, there was people between and Booker happened to be between their top wide receiver and the next best wide receiver.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let me tell you what.
Speaker 4: Let it may have been a bigger gap than we thought it actually absolutely.
Speaker 3: Let me just tell you what I don't like about Tit. Then I'm asking a cowboy question. He really don't like to be called tit. Like he was on the red Carbet talking to the lady with microphones. It's like, yeah, I don't like when people called me Ted. I don't know where they come from. Well, your name tedoroa? What you mean?
Speaker 5: Because he went by t Mac that's what so that's the short name. In his opinion, it's team.
Speaker 3: If your name is Bobby is Robert. But if your name is Bobby, if we call you Bob, that's where Bob come from.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it makes sense. I see the connection for sure.
Speaker 2: He like, where did it come from?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 2: Why is that?
Speaker 7: Why?
Speaker 3: Why here y'all call me tick boy?
Speaker 2: Your name is Tararroa.
Speaker 3: He would, he would, he would, He would never be a good leader or teammate thinking like that, Anti don't watch film, But let me ask you this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good luck in Carolina, guys, Yeah, good luck real quick.
Speaker 7: Did you think Carolina was going to take him?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, I had no clue.
Speaker 8: See, but we should have thought that after watching Dallas play Carolina last year at wide receiver.
Speaker 5: I mean, they just invested a big pick and Mingo and then traded him and so they clearly had an opening.
Speaker 3: Do you guys think that the Cowboys I'm talking about corner now now we're back on Reveel. Do you guys think that the Cowboys are going to attempt to make a big three at corner or is Reveel supposed to be diggs insurance while we while they pay bling? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I think some guys need to be unnoticed.
Speaker 2: It's kind of both.
Speaker 8: I think I think they need to be unnoticed. I agree with Bobby on that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because Diggs is hurting, I don't know when Diggs is coming back. Are we ever going to see those three on the field at the same.
Speaker 2: Time we didn't see them with Jordan.
Speaker 3: Lewis had a proper big three where the corner or wide receiver we never get to see.
Speaker 2: They never get to see him together.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think when Diggs comes back and you've got Diggs, Bland and reveled. Yeah, I think I think Cream's gonna rise at the top and somebody's probably gonna be on their way out at at the end of that.
Speaker 2: That's gonna suck.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 4: A lot of decisions to be made, same kind of thing on day three, though. We had a lot of decisions made on day three to try and fill some of the needs that weren't necessarily taken in day one or two. When we come back, who was the best value on day three and who could be the most surprising in year one. Couple questions from the Twitter on the twenty chat panel when we come back with more of the draft show.
Speaker 12: I'm Darren Woodson, former Dallas Cowboy player and Super Bowl champion. When I played in the NFL at a high level, I relied on my vision to see the field. As I started getting older, I noticed my vision wasn't as good and I was getting frustrated from wearing my glasses all day. I went to Laser Care Eye Center and doctor G talked about all the options. Thanks to technology and Laser Care Eye Center, I can see near far in between. Don't fumble your vision any longer. Visit them at dfwis dot com and tell them Darren sent you.
Speaker 7: They got me back on my game.
Speaker 11: Star Sports Tools is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends.
Speaker 2: You want to stay at.
Speaker 11: A team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the.
Speaker 2: Star and talk x'es and ods with me Everson Walls.
Speaker 11: With Star Sports Tools, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package. Today.
Speaker 9: Life is a workout, and Smoothie King is here to help you power through.
Speaker 2: Whether you're maxing out.
Speaker 9: Overhead presses, pushing through chest flies, or being the hero your golden retriever needs to carry them over that scary bridge. Smoothie King has the fuel to help you go all out, build muscle and boost your recovery with forty five grams of protein, zero grams of added sugar and delicious customizable ingredients and the Gladiator smooth available in chocolate, strawberry and vanilla only at Smoothie Kim.
Speaker 6: How about Cowboys or how about them? Tyson Cowboys Nuggets. As we cheer for the stars on the field, we love that we've also got some stars on our plate thanks to Tyson Brands star shaped Cowboys Nuggets that, along with all our other favorite Tyson Foods products, sure make game day special. Score some delicious Tyson Cowboys Nuggets and become a game day star just like our Cowboys as you enjoy your stars on and off the plate. Remember, tailgates and game Day have always been Tyson.
Speaker 3: Is the Dallas Coowboys. Dot com draft shows.
Speaker 4: Do step over to the Star for back to back nights of free live music at ACM Country Kickoff May sixth and seventh, with an all star lineup of rising talent and fan favorites, plus a Beer Garden exclusive merch and more. Of This event is a country music fan one that country music fans won't want to miss. Visit a CM Country Kickoff dot com for more information. Alongside watch Lombardi, Bryan brought us Bobby Belt, Kyle Yeoman's Chris Beam in the Back.
Speaker 2: This is the final draft show segment of the twenty twenty five Yeah Fel Draft.
Speaker 5: I'm bittersweet, I'm sad Zach had to cancel. I know that he's no longer here. The jay Toya was in the building and they said that he couldn't be around him.
Speaker 3: That's the good order already.
Speaker 5: No, he just he could stomach to potentially bump into somebody, and he's just like buds.
Speaker 2: I love how like Uh.
Speaker 4: That was a big topic of conversation on g Bag Nation and on the radio or the morning show yesterday and then yeah uh and then the Saints miss correction finished runner up on g Bag of the Day yesterday too.
Speaker 2: I was talking about the New Orleans Saints.
Speaker 3: Right, like what you saying?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you got it. Go go back and listen to it. You know, it might be a drop already.
Speaker 3: The audio for the for the hocast that was awesome.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh no, that's gotten. That's gotten played a lot on the station already. So yeah, that's that's getting run into the ground. I feel for him, just like Zach's reputation.
Speaker 2: Give me.
Speaker 7: The funny thing for me was was Nick not listening? Yeah yeah, yeah, that was fine.
Speaker 8: I just you know, I mean, like like you sit there. Zach just kind of gave a really nice great down breakdown. The guy Rugby family got full and then and then all of a sudden, Nick just kind of goes into the same rundown.
Speaker 2: He was so confident.
Speaker 3: He come from a rugby family.
Speaker 4: Let me tell you about this guy. It was how you started it. It's like everybody just kind of looked down, like, what are you doing near bro?
Speaker 5: That was honestly the I was six Saturday morning. I think it was actually because I chugged like probably the more energy drinks the night before and it destroyed it. But I was saying when I heard that interview in the seventh round, I was like, this is the moment I've most been upset that I'm not there today because I would make this last hour. Zach would cry.
Speaker 7: He may have already, Yeah, we don't.
Speaker 5: It's a lot He's a crier.
Speaker 2: He's a crier. Man.
Speaker 4: It was a lot of fun. We appreciate all those that tuned in and stayed. We got all the tweets as as two fifty seven rolled across, Mister Irrelevant walked the stage, and man, it's always a blast. Day three and we get to the point where it's loopy. Yeah, we're just we're losing it. All of our exhaustion from the previous two days catches up to us and we just we got to survive on the air without getting canceled, Zach, but no, it's been it's been a whole lot of fun, and this is such an incredible journey year in and year out. Let's wrap it up by talking Day five and the draft picks that were for the Cowboys. I'll run them down real quick, just for those who may have either missed it or forgotten by now.
Speaker 2: Fifth round they had two selections.
Speaker 4: Jaden Blue, running back from Texas was the first, and then they traded up. They traded their sixth round pick to come up and get Shamar James, linebacker from Florida. Remaining with one sixth round pick, they used it on a Johnny Cornelius, the offensive lineup or offensive lineman from Oregon, and then Jay Toya, Zach's favorite player, defensive tackle from UCLA, Phil MafA, running back from Clemson, and then Tommy king Basote from Maryland to defensive tackle. The three seventh round picks. Let me start by asking who do you feel like has the best chance to contribute in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Five out of this group of players.
Speaker 4: Because it could be a number of them they address need double dip the running back, double dipped the defensive tackle added some in the trenches. Where do you feel like the best chance to contribute would be both jays?
Speaker 3: Jayda On Blue is going to make this offensive fast, this offense fast, really fast. And I think Ja Toya Toya toy eya Toya. I think j Toya is going to be your big body run d guy, you know, shouts out to Masi, Man, we still got to see you know him as a complete player. Talking to coach white Cotte, you know he doesn't have a tight necessary early but having different body types and different guys are are gonna have different jobs. Cool. I can imagine that out of all the guys in their room, your best run defending type, you know, D tackle, it's probably Ja toe one because of the size shore but his effort and him moving around, you know, for his size, he has some great movement for his size. So I see him as like a day one, go be big in there, run defense type guy. And besides, I think everybody's gonna have to get in where they fit in. I'm really curious to see how how James fits, but I'm gonna have to rewatch him with with cowboy eyes. You know how you how you watch a guy for all thirty two teams and then you hear the Cowboys say, well, you know, we look at him as a pass rushing you'll probably be a will linebacker type guy. So now I got to go back and watch him as a pass rusher, will linebacker type dude, not just as a linebacker for everybody.
Speaker 4: But thize with with hebra flu size, he was the one kind of driving the force behind that picker.
Speaker 3: And they and they traded up to go get him. And I was like, Hey, this guy that I had in my seventh round picks or whatever, y'all traded up to go get him in the fifth. So now I got to watch some cowboy ass to see what they see in them.
Speaker 8: Soya makes it's going to be, I think right off the jump, you're going to know how good he is when we get to training camp and all of a sudden he's lining up against with Booker Tyler Smith and and you know, and you're in BBI, and how he handles that. You know, if we see him in those drills in the nine on seven periods, the run periods, the team periods where you know, the balls not getting inside or they're kind of having to bounce or it gets kind of muddy in the middle of that defense, and he's holding up against those powerful guards and center man. That would be that would be a great sign for me, you know. And maybe they'll get the scrimmage against the Rams again, or maybe the Chargers will come over and we'll get to see him get to work against some other guys. But I think you'll you'll see very early because he either he is going to show up or those guys that I just mentioned are going to wear him out, you know, because of how they play. So I think you'll have a very good indication of.
Speaker 7: How he can help. I think he's absolutely.
Speaker 8: Going to push Mozzie Smith for I think I don't think Mozzie Smith could show up and roll his helmet out there and think that he's got this job.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because if.
Speaker 8: He if you know, like I say, he could get he could just get just as exposed by Booker and Smith and BB and others as well. He needs to come in and not have every practice where somebody has to put their arm around him and say it's okay, big fellow, we'll get him tomorrow kind of a thing. No, it's time for him to grow up and go out there and and be a force.
Speaker 7: And maybe maybe.
Speaker 8: That's just not in his DNA. And if it's not his DNA, then I could see this team absolutely moving on. Maybe not this year, but I don't think his status is you know, will be submitted. Maybe if we get to twenty twenty six.
Speaker 5: Well said, yeah, Toya and Blue are the ones that stand out. Like they said, I mean Blue probably more so. So I'm gonna I'm not jump full on board yet, but I think we did see there were a couple different games last year where Mazi flashed.
Speaker 8: Against nfcas to Poe York Giants, played some of his best football.
Speaker 5: And so I'm at least looking at that and saying, I wonder if there's enough there and Aaron Whitecott and being a guy whose reputation across the league as somebody who gets the most up players, then I'm at least a little more optimistic, I guess than you guys. Not not banking on it, but a little more optimistic that it's possible. Whereas on the other side, you don't have anybody like Jayden Blue before he picked him. He's he's new, he's unique, and I mean Shoddy has talked about when he was asked an indie what do you look for in a running back, and one of the top things to him was pass catching ability and the things that you can do with Jayden Blue in the slot on swing passes, the things he can do as a runner, the type of juice he brings. I think Jaden Blue is going to be given an opportunity to contribute heavily right away. I don't think he's Bell Coow and just taking everything, but I mean he's going to be He's going to be used. It's not a small guy, no.
Speaker 8: I mean he's short, but he's not a He's not a he's not a five you know, he's not a five nine.
Speaker 7: He's a you know change. Yeah, he's he's six.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't I don't think he's going to be a game day in active. I don't think he's going to be you know, active but not really getting any touches. I think he'll be used probably similarly to how he's used at Texas when Texas had all their healthy running backs. Like that's the kind of workload that he's going to get and that's that's something that if he can produce, which I think he's capable of, then he can make an impact pretty quickly.
Speaker 4: I like the way you kind of outlined it because a lot of people are looking at a fifth round running back and saying, oh, he has a chance to contend for a starting job. Who's going to be the starter up front for running back? You're going to get a different look from these guys. There's not going to be one consensus starting running back out of this group. You're going to use them in specific spots and kind of use Williams here or Sanders there, or Blue there or Lipke there. However it ends up being from a running back standpoint, maybe MafA fits into the mix. If he has a great training camp as well, there's a chance for him to make the roster and have some legitimate production. But he's got to get to that point first. You guys mentioned Toya at training camp and what he could show immediately. I can already see Cowboys Nation reacting on social and being super upset when he just mauls.
Speaker 2: A guard Mars.
Speaker 4: He goes to Tyler Booker and he wins a rep against Tyler Booker and it's tweeted out and everybody's gonna be like, oh, Tyler Booker has having a bad camp boy.
Speaker 3: If I know a Booker, man, he coming right.
Speaker 2: Man, he's gonna get him on the next rip.
Speaker 4: But Toya has a chance to really do something out of that one tech spot at that.
Speaker 7: You don't zero or one.
Speaker 8: I mean, this guy's not going to be a great pass rusher, but what he's going to be is you put him head up. He has a problem to deal with, a little bit of a shorter armed guy, but man, he plays with a lot of power. He faces all kinds of blocks and plays them all well. He's at three point forty two. He is a very hard guy to move off the ball.
Speaker 4: What do you think about the h the other guys now that you've gotten to see him a little bit. Has anybody watched Phil MafA or King Basote since they were they were picked and kind of what what are some of the thoughts along the way with those guys.
Speaker 3: I was a little underwhelmed with with MafA. I think the first thing that you have to do is take him out of those shotgun runs.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 3: I can't stand I can't stand a powerful runner being being stuck in that.
Speaker 2: But put him in the eye.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I thought I thought he was at his best when he was running forward and running through people. He's two hundred and thirty five pounds, four pound whatever it was. He's at his best when he's moving straight forward. He he likes to dance. Stop dancing, guy, run directly into people. He likes to, you know, make some cuts and try to read and really figure it out. My guy, even if you got to run over your offensive line and just run forward, that's all you do. I felt like, even as a blocker, I was kind of upset that I felt like jayda On Blue was a better blocker than him because Toaya loves to try to cut people. Sir, you're six foot two thirds. Hit people square. You'll be fine, I promise. But I think he's a guy if you just tweak his game just a little bit, that's what coaching is for. Take him out of those shotgun runs. Just pat him on the back and say, sirch just forward and when you're blocking, stand straight up, square hit people. I think he doesn't have a problem blocking people. He doesn't have a problem, you know, getting to the blocker. He just chops people once he gets there. I hate that for being a six foot, three hundred and twenty five pound running back. But if he's gonna be your thumpy guy, Javonte Williams is gonna have something to say about that. Ye, he's your your thumping guy right now. And Williams is a much better pass catcher and blocker right now. So Martha's gonna have to fight for his life here. But where Blue has the advantages that he's a bigger deuce van and dude's gonna have to fight for his So the running backs have two different paths to freedoms here. Of course Blue has the easier or the clearer path, But I think MAF's got a little bit of work to do. But he was cool just seventh round guy.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, to me, I was I was kind of looking more like the guys Martinez got picked in the seventh round. Crosskey Merritt got picked right behind you. I mean literally, Yeah, Allen was Syracuse was picked in the seventh round. Maybe those guys a little bit more. I thought we might have been a little bit better pairing, And I think Vouch is right. Though you could watch some Clemson tape. My man had some alleys to run through Clemson do a good job coming off the football and blocking people and him having the path to go through. But there were a couple of times where watching the Florida State game, he just completely ran over the safety, you know, to make a gain. So he needs to embrace the physicality that he plays with that that that if he's going to try and be dancing guy and and just you know it take his time to get through the hole, there's gonna be some problems there.
Speaker 5: I had, So I agree. I think you saw basically a seventh round pick on tape, like when you watch the Clemson stuff. But I will say that I'm I've got a slight I've got I've got a slight correction to what I saw on tape. I guess because after asking around from a few people and watching the twenty four tape, I was told he was hurt the entire time.
Speaker 2: They said he had anger.
Speaker 5: So yea that they said he played hurt the whole year. So I don't know if he's just is he so banged up so he's trying to avoid some of that physicality because he's already bruised.
Speaker 8: Oh, he's runned over some people. Though you can watch some games where he physically will run over folks.
Speaker 5: So he's I mean, like he's I think he's a fine contributor, but like you watch him on tape and I just go, yeah, that's a guy you taking the seventh round and just see what sticks.
Speaker 8: Maybe because we thought we, you know, we had a better idea of the guys. I mentioned the crosskey Merrits and yeah, Allen's.
Speaker 3: And guys Martinez don't cut Martinez.
Speaker 2: Yeah he smokes people. Yeah, and he still had more production.
Speaker 4: He didn't have more yards per carry than he had in twenty twenty three, but in twenty twenty four he had more production overall than he did the year before that. They used him in the red zone a lot. In twenty twenty three, had thirteen touchdowns compared to eight last year. He's not your home run threat. Your home run threat is Jaden Blue.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: This is a short yardage back for the most part, at least the start, and if he can break something a little bit more than that, and he can utilize the pass protection element with his size and take a step forward literally in running forward. I agree with Watch on that point as well. You can't dance behind the line of scrimmage, go laterally. That's not his game. His game is downhill and play with it. I think MafA has a shot to It's a crowded room though, that's the only thing, and so you give it a shot. You see what he can have a training camp and then you go from there.
Speaker 8: I kind of feel like that him and our Maryland defensive tackle probably practice squad type guys.
Speaker 2: Probably What did you see in him?
Speaker 7: You know what?
Speaker 8: I to me, I wasn't super impressed as with I worry a little bit. I think he's laid off the ball and you know, and I think we need to kind of speed him up that way.
Speaker 7: I think he could play the one. I think he could play the three.
Speaker 8: He'll try and throw some pass rous moves and stuff on you, but he'll get stuck on blocks. He's a little bit like when we talk about the guys that start stop and then they get stopped again and they're trying to re It's really really hard for him to do that. I could see him playing down the line of scrimmage. There were a couple of games where he was able to make that tackle for loss, just working down the line of scrimmage. But he's he's he's really laid off the ball, and so those are the types of things I worry about. Is he not is he not able to see it?
Speaker 2: Is you know?
Speaker 7: Is he getting distracted? What's happening there?
Speaker 8: The size and all that, He's a big upper body guy and kind of got like a slimber lower body, which allows him to have the ability to move around and stuff. But man, he is going to have to lear him to come off the ball quicker and come with a little bit more pass rush, moves, play with his hands a little bit better. I just kind of feel like though, with a with a crowded room, he's going to have a hard time making this football team. And I could see actually him being on a practice squad.
Speaker 3: Got some length though, and he does and when he did make plays, it was him using his length. He just doesn't do it all the time. Brian makes a great point. He's just a little late, just a just a just a tick late. But when he was on time and he came off the ball, he uses length and he stacked and shit in and extended. That's when he was really good. He just didn't do that all the time. You would much rather watch Jordan Phillips if you're gonna watch Maryland. But if the if they were excited about him, like just the cam or whatever, they were high five and all that. So he has a sponsor in the room, whoever that may be, could be white Kotten if they if they coach him into something. And look, we have proof of white Ktt and coaching people that we didn't think would be great into solid players. So we'll see. But like you said, and me and Brian thought about this last night, the D line room is deep right now, Like there's about sixteen guys in there that can make the team, possibly can be around or have you know played before. So the D line altogether, they're gonna have to figure all this out.
Speaker 4: Well, I think he benefits from a I know there's a lot of bodies in there defensive tackle, but there's a lot of uncertainty in the defensive tackle room. So unlike a Phil Maffa who's a seventh round pick at running back or and where he could fit in the running back room that's crowded with veterans and draft picks now and a couple other guys, they can have a defensive tackle that could sneak his way onto the back end of the roster as long as he does the right thing and.
Speaker 2: Hills the void.
Speaker 4: Still a long way to go for a lot of those guys, and probably practice squad is a little more likely as they get into it.
Speaker 2: All right, that's gonna do it for us, Bobby.
Speaker 3: It was good having you back today.
Speaker 2: We missed you on day three.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was, I was. I was glued to my bathroom.
Speaker 7: Have a tradition if you're not showing up on day three.
Speaker 2: Damn, I was here. Maybe maybe less energy drinks this time around.
Speaker 5: I was here last year and finished my point.
Speaker 3: Brian Man, let me let me just say, man, this has been the coolest thing that I've ever had an opportunity to do. Shots out to everybody that you know, put their arms around me and let old YouTuber in the building to come here and talk about some draft man shots out of my Rookie Pott and brother Thomas Yarrish there. You know what I'm saying. I'm Booker, He's Donovan. You know what I mean, And you know appreciate y'all. You know, this is a show that I've been watching for ten years and being this is this is a show that I've been watching for ten years, even when I was a PiZZ Hut employee.
Speaker 2: Smelled like dirty dishwater.
Speaker 3: Now I get to bust his suit out close out the draft, So I appreciate you. And if there's anybody that that never known who I was and my audience that come in to chat and bother, hell at y'all. Sorry about them, but they but they travel with me, you know what I'm saying. So hopefully when you watch me and Brian's podcast on my YouTube channel Vace Lombard and voc HLO NBA r DA, y'all will follow us around too. So appreciate y'all for tuning it.
Speaker 2: And you can slow down the YouTube clip there and just play it over and over so you can get all those letters in there too. Bas Lombard, it's pretty easy to spell.
Speaker 11: Watch.
Speaker 4: It's been a whole lot of fun. Like you said, you and Tommy have killed it. You're number one. Can't wait to have you on again next year too, and really roll into the twenty twenty six draft, hopefully with the Cowboys picking thirty second overall.
Speaker 2: I think that would be a lot of fun if we can get there.
Speaker 7: Brian Pleasure as a thank you guys.
Speaker 2: Great job.
Speaker 4: Zach Wolchuck who's not here. Sorry about the Hakka, but you were fantastic too. We love you Bobby again. Great to have you back today.
Speaker 5: Thank you. Kyle did a good job this year.
Speaker 2: Thanks guys. It was good to be back for the draft weekend.
Speaker 4: I missed it last year with the babies at home, but now it's now it's back to normal. Chris Beam in the pack and everybody who helped have their hands on this throughout the draft process, whether it was cutting, b role, editing, video clipping, interviews, all that stuff. We appreciate everybody that was here for it. Along the ride. For one final time for Vox Lombardi, Brian brought us Bobby Bell Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yeoman saying so long from the Draft show. We'll see you for the twenty twenty six draft in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 6: J