Speaker 1: Warning. Today's episode contained spoilers for Spike Lee's newest feature film, Highest Lowest. Hello, my name is Jas Cacio and I'm Rosie Night and welcome back to x ray vision of the podcast Will We Dive Be to your favorite shows, movies, comics of pop culture Company Roma our podcast where we're bringing you three episodes a week.
Speaker 2: In today's final episode of The Popcorn pop Out, we are reviewing the latest from legendary director Spike Lee and his ode to the iconic director and his friend Charactersaur. We attended the premiere. We will be updating you on that. Me and Jason were bemused and baffled and delighted because we were definitely we were like, how did we get invited here? It was great, We had a great time. Then we're going to review the movie, which spoilerlat if you follow us on that box, do you know we both enjoyed haughtily. And then you had Rosie explains it all UK edition. Well, now Jason's going to explain it well New York edition and talk about what these movies mean as a New Yorker.
Speaker 1: But first the airlock. Okay, so we went to last week, we went to the was it a premier or was it LA premiere? Okay, So we went to the LA premiere of Spike Lee's latest film, Highest lowist and adaptation of the Akira Kurosawa masterpiece High and Low, his fifth collaboration with Denzel Washington. We saw it at the Academy Museum, and we just wanted to bring you into that because it was definitely one of those situations where you're like, why not only why are we here? Which is fine, we've been just.
Speaker 2: You know, we love to Yeah, we love to be.
Speaker 1: Why am I? Why are we three rows from the front?
Speaker 2: Yes, that was the funniest thing is vigate Fox. I know, we were truly living life. We saw one of the new lanisters from House to the Dragon. Was lovely to see him as always.
Speaker 1: I mean, let's yeah, let's name drop for a little bit. Henson was was there?
Speaker 2: One of my favorite things Jaden Smith. Jaden Smith was there. He wearing an impressive kind of hat. Accoutremond also scarf hat. It was a scarf hat. I was very very impressed he it was. It was wrapping maybe made of leather, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like a priest from a different planet.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Alien three priests. Look, maybe I feel like it was vibing on. Also, we saw some incredible creators and innovators in this space. There were all kinds of cool people there. I'm trying to think of some of the most one of the ones that and he was wearing his beautiful high and low Cus Hour shirt that he's been rocking on this press tour. Also as well, just casually, like when we were leaving, because we're we're not big partiers. Were we're homebodies. But when we were leaving, as we were walking out, somebody was like, oh my god, it there a ravo and just like screaming. So yeah, there was, and there was autograph hunters outside. It was definitely it was a real It was one of those type of things. Yeah, And I think it was something where people were just really excited to be at the screening of such a legendary directors movie. Yes, like so many people showed up and were just ready.
Speaker 1: It opened with This is in collaboration with A twenty four and Apple Studios, So I think it's a Apple TV Apple production with dishoub and production handled by H four and one of the executives from A twenty four came up and made a speech, and immediately you and I are.
Speaker 2: Like, why is this guy is the hunkiest?
Speaker 1: Why who is this Why? Why is the hottest guy in the room the exec from eight twenty five?
Speaker 2: Is he not in this movie? Like he had such great presence. We were just both like, Wow, I love this guy, and I think came up.
Speaker 1: He gave a little a shpiel about like what an honor it is to, you know, be working with Spike Lee and for a twenty four to be collaborating with Spike, the fifth collaboration of Spike and Densel Cell and the history of that, and then he had and then he introduces Spike Spike Lee. Spike comes in from the side door, takes the mic strides like a couple of steps like he's he's going to go to the front of the theater to make speech, and he just goes, you're ready, okay, and then he just turns around and watchs out you start the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Because also you could tell there was a lot of celebrities there because the movie started like half an hour late, like they were really trying to see people and we were in the ted Man Theater, which I do love which is the smaller of the two Academy Museum theaters, but not a theater made for like premieres. There's not a lot of walking up and down that you can do. Everyone was getting up every time somebody needed to sit down, so we were all kind of bonding over the close quarters. But yeah, what a what a surreal event. We were definitely right at the front. But you know what, Jason, as I said to you on the night, you are the second most famous Knicks fan after Spike Lee. So I think that they were like, I think is up there. I think.
Speaker 1: I think you're gonna have to go down the rungs because I think currently it's obviously Spike Yeah, and then a Chalo May He's Chalo May, Slash and Stiller. I think it depends on what your kind of interests in age group are. But I think those two were battling for two. Then I think you would go Eadie Falco. I think John McEnroe is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're above Mcam. I think you I think that's the safe top five. But they were like, we got to have him near the front. They didn't put us right on the front row.
Speaker 1: It was pretty crazy. I mean Fox was.
Speaker 3: One row and to the right of us, So that was you You love to see it, and you know that was crazy Paula Patton looking.
Speaker 1: In front, and I hopefully she hasn't heard us smirch her French accents from possible.
Speaker 4: Oh no, she knows physical.
Speaker 2: This was all actually like a set up for how to revenge on us because friend Jackson. But yeah, it was a It was a truly unique and cool experience and and and we were really stoked to be in by it, especially as such big.
Speaker 1: In a non spoiler way, let's give our top line thoughts. We'll go to break and then we'll come back and we'll talk about maybe in a spoiler fashion. I love this film with the caveat that as a New York guy, as a Knicks fan, there's so much red meat in here, just on the Knicks front, that I'm already gonna be heavily inclined to like this movie. I'm a Spike listen, I'm a Spike guy. But I loved it, and I thought there are a few scenes, namely the kind of the showdown between the tagonist and the antagonist, that I think are are amazing, like incredible that some of his best. Absolutely, it's the moment when David King, the kind of beleaguered UH music executive, comes face to face with young Felon played by Aesop Rocky, the man who is kidnapped, who thought he kidnapped his son and has been holding him for ransom, and they have this incredible like duel of words that goes for like five minutes, and it's I've just been thinking about it because it's like, it's amazing and it's not it's very theater, like, you know, it's not like something you would see in a movie these days, and there's moments like that that that may stand out for me.
Speaker 2: I think for me that's why I came away just really loving it because I think, while you'll write that five minute segment is like it's like having Shakespeare on the screen, but in a way that you know, if you said, oh, it's like rap Shakespeare, people would be like, that's terrible, But it's not like that. It's like this Shakespearean battle of words in the universe of this work that works so well. But yeah, for me, this is like weird big swing Spike where there are like multiple different movies within this movie. There are different tone. There's a kind of like lifetimey family drama. There's this Empire influence, like I'm sorry Taraji being there. I'm like they knew that Empire was an influence on this, like it was and Anna, And there's this kind of soapy element to it. But there are these moments right where Denzel and Jeffrey Wright are just vibing with each other, and there's this kind of like jazzy French new wave freeness and fun to this movie that just feels like nothing we get anymore. You're it is like watching a student of cinema show off all the stuff he's learned about cinema in a really lovely way. And I think that makes sense because Kurisauer and Spike Lee they actually crossed paths early on in Spike's career later on in Curisawa's quer and became friends. And when I went to the Academy Museum when it first opened, they had a Spike Lee room where he was basically showing off all his cool collection of stuff. He had a guitar from Prince that was in the shape of the symbol, and he had Kurisauer posters that were signed personally to him by Kurisauer, and I just think that there is something really special here about a guy who has managed to have such a unique and incredible kind of trailblazing career, who decides, you know, at an older age, to do essentially like an homage to an old friend who has now passed away. That's also seen as like one of that director's most surprising films.
Speaker 1: And then they I think is one surprised me and it's one of Spikes.
Speaker 2: I think this is one of Spike's most surprising films because the tone and vibe and feeling of this is very different and the way music is used, and it's very much a story about America in this much broader way than necessarily Like I think a lot of Spike's best films are really intimate and they're and really small scale, but this has this really broad scale. And yeah, I just thought it was so fun, Like I'm I'm really excited to see it again. And that's always my biggest kind of test of like did I really enjoy a movie, and it's like, yeah, I really want to see this again. I do think this is a all time a Denzel performance as well. I just I loved the nuances that he brought to this as like the tired old man who has to imagine the future.
Speaker 1: They played with his age in an interesting kind of subtextual and mettextual mm hmm and flat out textual way in this where he's he's slipped, but also he recognizes that he's slipped and he wants to get back to the top, and people are writing him off and asking him to just hang it up, and it builds to a moment there's a moment of physical exertion that it's a credit to Denzel that you buy it like, yeah, oh yeah, towards the end of this film, towards the climax of this film. Yeah, it's a powerhouse performance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just so good. And he sat Rookie amazing as well. All absolutely understand why you cost him.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Jeffrey Wright, who has never been bad in a movie in my opinion, is wonderful here and brings a a kind of drama and comic relief also that are I think so important to the film. It's really really fun.
Speaker 2: He's also like I think the haw of if Spike is trying to say anything with this movie, I think that is really interesting. Stuff, just like with High and Low originally about like claws and how it is to be like a or person in the circle of rich people and stuff, and I just I think that Jeffrey Wright's character is such an interesting commentary on that, and I really loved the kind of way that the film played with that and then still allowed these two guys to have this really intimate and interesting friendship that they kind of had to go on that journey themselves you knock out where they both stand.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about this more in the put in the post spoiler section, but one of the things I appreciate about Spike as a and have always appreciated him about him as a filmmaker, and I love it about this movie is that he's able to put his finger on problems, problems, problems of race, problems of power and balance, and put his finger on the complexity of those things. But it's not like he's like and here's the answer.
Speaker 2: No, No, he's never like, here is a solution, because here's a solution, and he has.
Speaker 1: A really feel right and preachy. It's just like there's a moment, there are a few moments in here with a white cop where you feel the animosity of this cop and the kind of distrust that he has towards Jeffrey Wright's character and the situation the kidnapping as a whole. And you feel this antagonism in this animosity. But at the same time, like Spike also doesn't do the easy thing, which is just let you hate this guy and demonize this guy. He's like, this is a person that exists in your in life, and you're gonna have to grapple with this guy. And he lets that guy also, I wouldn't say redeem himself, but show the role that he does play in this kind of you know, Greek chorus of New York that story, you know, And I think that is that's just what I really appreciate about it. Spike, you you're so right. He touches on all of these various issues use wealthy and quality, race, the carceral stitch, and.
Speaker 2: What happened, like the way that people islamophobia, like.
Speaker 1: Gender politics within hip hop, you know, and he he touches on all the There's this moment this is not a spoiler, but you know when uh King David comes into you know, confronts Young Felon, Young Felon calls his partner like refers to as a bitch. And then there's this moment where King David almost in this kind of like surreal cutting pattern where he keeps coming back to it, like why she got to be a bitch? Why she got to be It's like Spike definitely wanted to ask the question, but he also doesn't provide any answers. This isn't immoralizing, like why are these young guys speaking about women this way? This was here is the rich tapestry and look, and it's something to puzzle over. But I have no answers, And I think that's part of the the maturity, the laxity, the thing that I really love about this movie. At about swap, shall we take a quick break and dive into the spoiler version? Okay, and we're back. Before we talk about Hyas and Lois, let's talk about the movie that it is adapted from, High and Low. Akira Kurosawa is nineteen sixty three. I think Masterpiece for.
Speaker 2: Me, absolutely just such a fantastic movie.
Speaker 1: Is it my favorite film of his? Maybe it might be I rewatched because I think it's my most rewatched for sure, Like I'm going to rewatch this before seven Samurai Even or Ran or any of the other ones. And I don't know about you, but for me, it's the one. Obviously when you think Karasa, you're going to be familiar first with his Samurai action movies. But it was High and Low that blew me away because it is, you know, filmed in nineteen sixty three, and it is set in early sixties Japan, a Japan that is just beginning to flex its economic and industrial muscles after the devastation of World War Two, And it is just like jaw dropping and exciting and like and and there's a train hand off the ransom money sequence that is as good as anything you'll ever see. It's an amazing film. Your your thoughts on High and Low.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love High and Low. And it's basically we don't need to dive too much into the plotline because it is highest to Lowest is a very very very very very like accurate adaptation beat the beat just in a you know, set in a different time. But yeah, I love High Low. I think it's one of the most influential like police procedurals, like it definitely shaped the way that other people would tell stories like that I think it has so many interesting things to say about, like class in Japan and the kind of notion of like wealth and poverty and the wealth divide. I also think something really interesting is that there is kind of these huge influences that just we keep seeing from this movie. Like there is a Indian remake of this from nineteen seventy seven, there was Scorsese was going to remake this with David Mammett on script work, Like there was also a Japanese jay drama version of this, So it's really interesting to see how it's kind of been reinterpreted. But I really think that like even a movie, you know, like even even American directors like David Fincher as well as like then Korean directors like Bong June Hoe, like this is such an influential film on them, and I think it's very fun to see Spike continue that legacy, but by reinterpreting the film in a completely different way. You know, this original High and Low sixty three, so you're talking about like decades and decades past, And I think that the two of them together are really great. And I'm hoping because this is a cinema release for a few weeks. You can see it in the cinema right now. It's out in cinemas this weekend, but on September fifth, it will be on Apple TV Plus. And I'm hoping that somewhere somewhere in the world, somewhere in La somewhere in New York, somewhere in a rural theater where somebody just loves these two movies. I'm just hoping that somebody does a double bill because I think for like young film lovers who maybe haven't gone to see High and Low, I think seeing them both together would be just such an interesting thing. And yeah, I mean, I think I love Chris Howers. He's a moss. And I think High and Low is like a a really human film, and I think that in a way that I think really worked.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Highest to Lowest. The aging music impresario David King has sold his record company, but now he wants it back because it's on the verge of being seld to sold to a like private equity funded media conglomerate that's going to break it up and sell it off piece by piece. David is he came up through the culture, He came up through the music. He can't for all the trappings of wealth. He is still very passionate about music, about black music, and about its role in American society and life. And so he wants his he wants his baby back. But in the midst of all this, there's a kidnapping. It seems as if for a moment that it's his son that's been kidnapped. Actually it's the son of his show his friend friend, Yeah, his friend and compatriot. And like colleague, I guess you would say, who is Paul who comes from the street and has done at least one lengthy bid in prison and is now living with David as basically part of his extended family. And so David really struggles with whether to pay this ransom for a person who is not his son, especially since he has just leveraged all the liquid cash that he has to buy back the company. This would mean risking his ability to buy back the company. But he, after much thinking about it, he decides that he's gonna pay the ransom's.
Speaker 2: Side seventeen million dollars.
Speaker 1: It's seventeen Swiss.
Speaker 2: In Swiss Franks because it will way less around the city.
Speaker 1: So the money handoff, however, goes sideways and the kidnappers get away with it, but Paul and Denzel manage to track this guy down. They find him a Young Felon. They find him in his studio where he's recording, and then you get this incredible confrontation through the studio window as David and Young Felon kind of much like the climax of High and Low, debate the merits of this crime scheme. And there's this other level too, where it's like David is also critiquing Young Felon's music and saying like, okay, this is there's something, but like I don't know who you are through your music. Tell me what you tell me your pain, tell me your dream, like all this stuff, and they keep and this turns into this like larger argument about like you know, why why should I you had your chance? And then eventually Denzel chases in the in the in the one part of the movie that maybe you have to suspend your disbelief a little harder than everything else. Sixty something year old Denzel Washington runs and pieces down thirty something year old He's up, Rocky catches him and then beats.
Speaker 2: His ass suit Denzel's seventy so he really they make you believe this, They make you believe that that this could happen next to you.
Speaker 1: But yeah, with the woman next to me when when Denzel was running.
Speaker 2: Was like okay, good no, yeah, she was like good, good, good, You're doing a great job.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then you end up with this great kind of reflection of that argument in the studio where he goes to visit him in prison and Young Fella makes him this offer of like, if you sign least my music, we're going to be so huge, Like together, we're going to be so good, we're gonna it will be the biggest signing in music history because of what I did and because my songs are going crazy.
Speaker 1: Because of the notoriety, the attention. This end. If there is a thesis behind this movie, this is part of it.
Speaker 2: It's that, as they say, it's.
Speaker 1: Young Felon says that all that matters in the modern world of twenty twenty five is attention? Can you get it? And David King thinks, there it should be more to it than that. Of course attention is important, but what's your message exactly? David essentially just declients, and.
Speaker 2: There's this great line which is also that I would say it's kind of funny because I think it is the main theme of the movie to take away, which I think is really powerful. But it's also the tagline, which I think is really funny, which is just not all money is good money. And that's basically what he says to him, is like, I can't take that money after what you did, you know, and you kind of get this. He's like kind of screaming and being dragged away, which is, you know, the same, very similar ending to the original high end low you.
Speaker 1: Mentioned in the preamble, like Spikes, this being a kind of film nerd film history and just like letting loose. And I thought that from the from the very first seconds of this film.
Speaker 2: This film, let's talk about the opening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these incredible scenic like landscape shots of Brooklyn and New York City, the most set two four K like h incredible set two the opening number of Oklahoma nineteen fifty five's Oklahoma beautiful to me, it's part of a thing that is a signature of Spikes. He doesn't lot he got game, which is where he sets this kind of uh, you know, story about a black basketball player and his dad in Brooklyn to Aaron Cohen, and it's that it's it's Spike saying to me, in my interpretation cities urban America, that is America. It's part of America. As much as the wheat feels of the Midwest and the grand vistas of the Grand Canyon are part of like American lore. This is these parts of America are part of America. And it was just like from that moment, I was like, I'm in this is tremendous fun.
Speaker 2: I think it's such a good way to establish just how good David King and his family have had it in that moment too as well. You're letting every day that they wake up is like it's the best site. He can make any move, he can do anything, he can convince board members to back him. And I find it really interesting and I think this is, you know, the universality of like cinema. But you know, if you look at High and Low, it's about a guy trying to take over a shoemaking company, right and hear it's a giant record label that he wants to stop being bought from from Stray Dog Records. But I just think that shows you how incredibly relatable this idea is. Where at the center of the story. All it really is about is about somebody looking up at a house then ever going to afford to live in, and wondering why that person gets that, and kind of then exploring what can come from that. And I think something that's really exciting and vibrant about this movie is the choices that Spike makes to keep it in his own vibe and tone, because the original is seen as like a pretty downbeat, like no noir police procedural, but Spike was like, no, I'm going I'm going big, I'm going soapy, I'm going important, I'm going oscars, but I'm also for me. I think I was really enjoying the whole movie. But when Denzel's when David King and Paul kind of reunite post Denzel paying the money for his son, I found a lot of that early stuff and this is complimentary where he's this sort of deciding whether or not he should pay. They're really brave, like they don't make him look like a good person. He says these incredibly brash, cruel things about this not being his own son, which you understand from the face of it the money that it costs. But at the same time, They have this great counterpart in his son, who was this meant to be kidnapped, Trey, who almost has like a childlike innocence about it because he's a teenager, where he's just like, well, of course you would pay for it. It's you would pay it for me, you'd pay it for my god brother, you know. So they get you in this really emotional state watching this kind of grappling, and if you've seen Hei and Low, you know what's gonna happen. But I felt like they did such a good job where I was really just like I was like physically like, oh, come on, man, Like he was saying stuff where I was just like, this is so hard to hear. But when him and Paul come together and they kind of go into the night on this quest to find young Felon, there's this kind of free jazz, a pro like kind of association. Like there's this kind of music that feels like you're watching a French New Aid movie. There's this lighting that looks so jazzy, and Spike just brings me go to a film stock.
Speaker 1: At different points in the movie, there's the yes when people are watching him, it's very clearly on like or made to seem as if it's on like thirty five millimeter like films, the cinema film stock. And to your point, yes, this when they go after young Felon, there's a change there too. It's like he's moving through these different eras of film with this, with this movie, and it's just go on.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say, it feels like it would have been an easy movie to play safe if he'd have played it serious, were in a prestige TV era, you could have really gone for that like totally different tone. But instead, this is like the most Spike Lee movie I feel like I've seen for a long time, even like I love old Spike, that was like such a huge part of my film lover's career was just like watching you know, his classic movies and films that have just completely changed the way that cinema is made, and that kind of like raw energy that Mars energy that he had. But this took me back to that, but on this like really grand scale, which is such a fun thing to get to see from a filmmaker who is aging and who you have kind of aged with.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that's part of what makes it feel really personal to me. Like there's this Obviously a huge element of this story is this kind of like aging creative type who all through the picture is having people whose only dream is to like have a sliver of what he has pitching him themselves all the time. Can I just play you a minute of my song? Can I just send you this? You have to listen to this person?
Speaker 2: Have you heard of this?
Speaker 1: Like how I get to like trying everyone.
Speaker 2: And they're trying to almost like and they're trying to almost like they jump scare him. They're always like waiting for him at the record label, waiting for him outside. And you know what, David King always because he feels like he's got that that that super ear, you know, he can't find the right person.
Speaker 1: And I just feels as if, Yeah, it feels as if with both Spike and Andzel who you know, their roles and their positions in the industry and and culture. Uh, it's very easy for me to imagine that same kind of dynamic happening all the time. And you really feel the there's never h You always feel that David is feels the weight and responsibility of like I'm he's a super busy guy. He's like trying to close these business deals that are extremely important to him. But he has to stop because like the lifeblood of his business is I got to stop and listen to this person for a minute, because it really might be them that revitals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really could be that. And I also I think something that is so incredible about Spike is if you if you look at the last movie he made, which was the absolutely snubbed in my opinion, like should have won a million. I think the Five Bloods about you know, which was kind of again, what is his take on an American war film?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: That is an unbelievable movie. And I wonder, and you know, Delroy Lindo, he got such an unbelievable performance out of him, And I do wonder if this is like a you know, I mean, we shouldn't be surprised at Spike Lee, but I feel like that followed by this, I feel like I'm just so excited to see what the rest of this era looks like, because it feels like just completely he's completely free and excited and has people believing in him and his vision as he should. Because this looks like an expensive movie as well. That's another thing that I think is and it looks to see spend that apple money baby like you deserve it.
Speaker 1: You don't feel like again as a New Yorker. Well, first of all, there is a two minute Boston.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, wait, let me let's let's go for a quick and break and then let's come back. And I'm gonna ask you New.
Speaker 4: York Jason, Yeah, yeah, and we're back, Jason.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: In this special Spike Lee themed segment of Jason explains it or tell us about Spike is in New Yorker and how this movie absolutely just plays into that on the highest level.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, first of all, there is a two minute fuck Boston, Boston sucks like in this camera direct to camera that is happening at during that straddles the kind of set piece action sequence of this film, the handoff between the handoff of the money. And does it feel gratuitous, Yes, I think so, but it also hilario. Was it hilarious?
Speaker 2: Yes? Did everyone in the cinema get amped up to be part of that you know moment? And what I really loved is this little it's a little snippet of community that you feel in like a sports moment or like a kind of some kind of community event like that when you get caught on the train and someone starts yelling that and then everyone starts yelling it. But the bit that made me laugh out loud was after the train kind of halts to a stop and we know that David has dropped the money, then the train chant changes to Boston broke the train, or like Austin stop the train or something, and then everyone's blaming them for that too, and I just thought it was like really real and really funny.
Speaker 1: It is really real and and Spike has an ability, you know, in that way that where we talked about his ability to kind of depict the complexity without trying to like shove an answer into the mix. It's that ability that allows Spike to really capture something essential about New York almost every single to the different people and characters and the different ways that they all relate to each other in ways that are often like in confrontation, but are also in surprising ways like in harmony at different points. And maybe my favorite, well maybe my most rewatched Spike film is The twenty fifth Hour, which came out like two thousand and two or two thousand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's talk about times that's that's a lesson talked about one.
Speaker 1: It came out in two thousand and two. It you can feel the nine to eleven attacks, like the impact of it in the all throughout the movie. And there's this incredible, like five minute monologue that Ed Norton's character is going to jail and he's kind of like settling all his personal accounts in this twenty five hours before he has to appear at the jail upstate, and he's gone to this club and you know, and his girlfriend. He's unsure if his girlfriend is going to stick with him throughout this thing. And he goes to the bathroom to kind of like just have a moment, and he looks on the mirror. In the mirror, on the mirror, there's some graffiti that says fuck you, and this causes him into the mirror to launch into this like racist screed. But it's where he criticizes, like course, terms every kind of archetypical New York character, the squeegey guys who come out and wash your windows, which hasn't really been a thing since the eighties, but still, you know what, I grew up in London. Yeah, every like the Puerto Ricans and the Porto Rican Day Parade, Dominicans, the black community, the white stockbrokers, the cops. He goes it like everybody, and he does it in this way that I mean, is it Is it a racist creed? Yes, But also it's it's the kind of thing where, if you're from New York, you've heard every single person in that montage say something about every other person in that montage in a very similar way, where it's this coarseness that's born out of I'm living with these people. They're in my face all the time. It's not this like I hate that person in a kind of remote theoretical way where you don't see them, or this person annoys me in this kind of remote theoretical way, you know, I hate as of people you've never met. It's like every day I'm mashed up against all these different types of people and here's my issues with all of them. And that encapsulates New York and anything maybe that I've ever seen in a film. It's that kind of antagonism that comes from not necessarily a place of warmth or love, but as like a kind of it's almost like bragging, like I survive this, I live in this I live surrounded by these groups who are constantly jostling for position, for attention, for money, who are trying to rob me or trying to like rip me off or trying to get over on me, And I would never live anywhere else that is like, that's basically what it's saying, and it's incredible. And Spike has that ability like he's not trying to solve the societal problems in New York City with this monola. He's just trying to show you the complexity of it. And that's why this movie is just one of my favorite, favorite, favorite favorite Spike films. And I think maybe the the one film that deals with the terrorist attacks of nine to eleven in a way that feels like legitimate and real. And Spike has this power, that ability to just like pull these threads together.
Speaker 2: What does it feel like to have a directa that is like so local to you? Because I feel like that's just to have like a groundbreaking director but who is essentially from where you're from and who makes films about where you're from. Not everyone kind of experiences that. What's that been like as a cinema love.
Speaker 1: And it's pretty it's pretty crazy. You know, like when I was living in New York the last time in Brooklyn. I mean, like his offices in Fort Green were like everybody knew where they were, you could walk by them.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: It's a really cool thing to know that there's a guy who could just kind of gets it and can put that on the screen. It's an amazing feeling who really understands like the different groups and the way the city is. There's no one story to a city of ten million people. And then like the shameless you know, listen, the shameless Knicks fandom. It's fantastic, you know, and it's probably more in your face and ridiculous of this in high's the lowest than it's ever been because let's you know, the Knicks haven't been good for a long time. This is the first this is the first New York Spike film since the Knicks have been good. Again. True, he's really enjoying it. He's really enjoying He's he's and he's really happy about it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, could you talk a little bit about just about some of the stuff that we do get to see here, because there is that the chase we get through the parade is some of the most beautiful kind of visuals that we've had from him in a long time too. So could you talk a little bit about about that parade and what it means.
Speaker 1: I mean, well, Supporter you Can Day Parade, and that's one of the biggest events in then calendar of New York City. And it's funny because in twenty fifth Hour in that monologue, like Edward Norton's character calls out the Porter you Can Day parade calls it the worst parade of the city, and you're you know, which is a take that I think you you will hear in certain areas of New York for sure, But it's also like huge, I mean here, it's like the feeling.
Speaker 2: You get that feeling like in England we have Annoying Hill Carnival, which is like our version of Carnival, but it and captured that like true community party. It is.
Speaker 1: It's an amazing event that takes over huge swaths of the city. And then even if you if you're not there, if you don't go to the parade route, you feel it throughout the city because you'll be on the train and you'll see people with the flags and you know, with flags on their shirts and carrying uh, you know, different emblems of Puerto Rico, and I thought he captured it, the vibrancy of it, yeah, really well in this as you know, a kind of integral though people complain about it, that integral part of the culture of it.
Speaker 2: He shows like how it can literally get in your way, like that's part of the whole why the why it is set that but you get you know, we see Rosy Perez, who obviously had her breakout in Do the Right Thing, and I love Rosie Press so much, and you know, having her, they're kind of at the parade and then you know, all these beautiful shots of people dancing and the sky and the Puerta Rican flag in front of the blue skies was just really beautiful. But at the same time it is letting you know, like this takes over a city like the I think that that while the movies train Handover obviously is hard to compare to the original High and Low one, which is so incredible. I thought the way that they envisioned how young people understand the city in a way old people can't was really really great because they absolutely just they take that money, no problem, like that motorcycle chase where they're switching between the different guys. I was like, yes, he understands that while David King has money and power, he doesn't have people on the street anymore. He needs poor for that, you know. And I just I thought that sequence was was just so so brilliant. Well you are that you mentioned twenty fifth out, Well you are the underseen Spike Lee movies that people should check out.
Speaker 1: Off to this one, my underseen Spikes. I like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I go for it.
Speaker 1: I mean, I like his genre stuff. This isn't different, this isn't underscene. It's hard for me to just like. I think he's Spike Clockers, which is a adaptation of an incredible Richard Price novel Richard Price, I think one of the greatest writers of dialogue that I've ever read, ever, ever, ever, Clockers. It doesn't get talked about a ton I think that. I mean, uh, Summer of Sam is another montage heavy one that isn't I think it's it falls it falls short of like a even like an above average Spike film, But there is like something about the vibrancy and the way he captures the the kind of Mailstrom that late seventies New York was not only a city kind of breaking down economically under a wave of crime and in this film, like facing a wave of serial murder attacks by the son of Sam, but it was also a place where the stirring you know you add punk rock, Yeah, like running into the what would become like hip hop, and so it was a really culturally vibrant time and he captured that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, well, I think that's a great picks also because like again there's not one story about New York, and that's one of those many stories about New York and about how that impacted, like the Bronx and everything. I will shout out one, which is my h This was essentially his kind of like post old Boy. He remade Old Boy. Might not remember that it was he was taken away, don't worry, taken away from him in the editing room. You know. He he didn't put Spike Lee joint on it. It ends up just being called a Spike Lee film. But after that, he essentially crowdfunded a remake of Gandrin has called The Sweet Blood of Jesus, which I just find such an interesting thing. I love the original movie, so I'm always interested to see somebody take it on. Obviously hard to do a remake that's better, but I think it's a really interesting counterpiece and I think it brought the original Gandarin has to a lot more people who had maybe not seen it. And I feel like, really that was just before his kind of like career resurgence that came back post Old Boy and he started doing you know you, then had his musical with Shirak, you had a bunch of different then you obviously had Black Klansman, which I think a lot of people love big you know, Awards film. But he's He's had an unbelievable career. I mean, what other direct are there who are still looked upon like this, who have directed you know, thirty plus movies in I think in twenty twenty five, I mean, not really many of them. And I I'm glad that even though it's a short theatrical release. I think that Spike Lee adapting in Akira Curus hour movie should be based on an Ed muc Bain novel, by the Way, King's Ransom, which is like from the late fifties, which is again the same idea, would you if you are the most rich person like and you have the money should you pay for somebody else's kid who's been kidnapped in your kid's place, Like, this is such a huge film, and I think it should be in theaters, and I'm glad people are gonna get see in theaters and hopefully you know, like a Sinners or as we've seen, you know, strangely with K Pop Demon Hunters, which is in theaters this weekend for sing Along, they've already had to add more screenings to that. We know that singers stayed in the movie theaters for months, especially in the thirty five millimeter in seventy million meter screenings at places like the New Beverly. So I'm really hoping that this kind of catches fire in a similar way and that you're gonna be able to see theaters continuing to show this and maybe even like theeas who you wouldn't normally see, Like I would love for this to be more available to a wider audience, say in AMCs and regals and cinemas, rather than your arrow and your Lamel and your smaller theater chains. So I hope it does break out because I do think that one of the things that's really interesting about this movie, and I think something that shows that Spike knows a shows that Spike knows how young people watch stuff. Now, the way that this movie flips between kind of genre and tone and moments almost feels like vignettes that you could be watching on you know, TikTok or something like that. And I'm sure Spike is not trying to make a movie that feels like TikTok, and this doesn't feel like tik But I do think that there is a version where if you're a teenager or a twenty something who doesn't love watching movies, and I've met many of them and I get it it's not your thing, this feels like the kind of movie that could enrapture you and inspire you and make you want to watch movies again, especially in a twenty twenty five landscape of massive blockbusters and comic book films being the major thing. So I hope it does stay in theaters for a little bit longer, and if not, at least everyone will be able to watch it on Apple Plus TV, which honestly Apple continuing its twenty twenty five quality rain over pretty much every other streaming service at this point.
Speaker 1: Well, I hope people will watch it on the next episode of Extra Vision, We're diving into some news through this episode. Thanks for listening. Bye x ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepcion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Joelmini and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abuza part.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Common, Laurent Dean Jonathan and Bay Wag.
Speaker 1: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator.