Speaker 1: And I invited you here. I thought I made myself perfectly clear. When you're a guest to my home, you gotta come to me empty. And I said, no, guests, your presences presents enough. I already had too much stuff, So how do you dare to surbey me?
Speaker 2: Welcome to I said, no gifts. I'm Pritchard Wineger. We're here in the studio an Aalise, our producer is not here. They've cooked up some sort of some excuse I don't know. I hung up with the phone before they could lie to me. I can't deal with it. But they're not here, and you know, hopefully they can figure it out. So I'm just flying free and loose here. What's going on. Most of my life now is just watching Little House on the Prairie. That's most of my days and nights. The Ingles family has kind of settled into their life. I've read some behind the scenes. You know, it didn't seem like it was that pleasant of a place to work, unfortunately, so it adds another dimension to watching the show. It occurred to me last night that I've been shopping for a lamp for five years and still have not bought one. I think that's the one piece of furniture I'm just really not capable of buying. So if you have any tips or tricks, keep them to yourself. So anything else. I've experienced a little bit of parking rage this morning, blinding rage. Apparently there's something about someone in a Volvo Crossover that just really taking their time sets me off, but I didn't act on it. I'm coming down from that. I have not had my baby belt cheese, which is usually pretty grounding for me. So, oh, business, We're coming to Chicago May twenty third the Den Theater. Go to the Den Theater dot com or just find it online. I'm not going to hold your hand. And Patreon continues to exist Patreon dot com. Slash I said, no gifts. What a lovely way to support the podcast. You know, this is a business ultimately, and we're business partners, and so I need you to keep up your end at the bargain ultimately. So go over there. We have the bonus episode. It's all kinds of things. It's wonderful time. Okay, oh, let's get into the podcast. I adore today's guest. Everybody loves today's guest. It's Tim highdeck Er. Tim welcome, Dyson.
Speaker 3: I have so many enemies. Could you're starting off in such a disingenuous place. It's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Oh, give me a break, But give me a break.
Speaker 3: I am. It's so excited you brought up a little house in the prairie. I don't know if you did research on me. No, No, do you watch it? I used, I used to when I was a kid, and I was like even into I mean, I knew it from it when I was a kid. But in high school, my sister and I religiously watched it. Oh you're kidding after school the reruns right right. I loved it and I might go back and do a rewatch.
Speaker 2: When was the last time you saw it?
Speaker 3: Uh? Many years ago? But I could. I could picture every frame. I know all the characters. I love that show. And you know the story about the ending of the show. Because I want to ask, because.
Speaker 2: I don't because my boyfriend keeps hinting at you won't believe what happened?
Speaker 3: Do you not want me to tell you?
Speaker 2: I mean, what do you think? I mean? This is the thing about the show.
Speaker 3: It's very funds It's a very fund Hollywood story.
Speaker 2: Okay, then I guess I should know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you should know. I'm sorry your boyfriend for ruining it. You will eventually know this. I think it's true. I think it's true the very end of this. The show has been on for it's like seasons.
Speaker 2: Is that it over two hundred episodes.
Speaker 3: But it feels much longer because you see like half Pint and all the family grow from a nine year old to like adults. So it's gone. It's on for a long time, and the show comes to an end. And I think the last episode of the show is some railroad company or some outside forest buys little Walnut Walnut.
Speaker 2: Growth, I believe creek, and I think it is a real place.
Speaker 3: Okay, Walnut Grove, and the town doesn't like it. It means they're gonna have to change. Something's gonna happen. They decide that they are going to dynamite the entire town. They're gonna, yeah, they're gonna out of spite, they are going to blow up the town.
Speaker 2: Oh, the the citizens, the citizens, Oh, good for them, and and like, but I guess, but it also feels kind of like the opposite of the ethos of the show. You know, I mean, just something happening. It's the opposite of the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well if you if we can't have this, no one can. And what I learned is that it was actually the production that said, we have to tear all these sets down anyway, let's.
Speaker 2: Let's just do it on camera. Yeah, that's so wild, which.
Speaker 3: Is such a bummer of a way to end that, because that shows so wholesome about sweet It's about learning lessons about how to behave and do right by people and stuff.
Speaker 2: And so do you see the town get blown up?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the very last episode. I'm this is a memory. It could be. I hope it's mean. I'm sure your audience will correct me or you if it's incorrect, but I think that's how it went down.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, wow, I can't wait to get to that in ten years.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, two hundred episodes of like they're like over an hour each of them. Yeah, and it feels over an hour sometimes.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I remember them getting trapped in a mine. Oh okay, I remember the classic Albert. Albert was like the adopted son. Later he gets addicted to opium. So there's like a drug episode. You know. The network was like, we need a drug.
Speaker 2: How do we fit this into pioneer time, yes.
Speaker 3: And Pauw had to like like he cold turkeyed with him, so he like got him and it was like I just remember sweat, I remember vomit. It just like it was like early memories of the world are through the lens of little House in the.
Speaker 2: First Wow, I didn't realize it got so tough on it.
Speaker 3: It's hard out there in the prairie.
Speaker 2: I think we're only nine episodes in.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Yeah, you have such a journey ahead.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was it was shocking to me. I think I purposefully avoided it as a kid because growing up in Utah you were just like kind of there was an overflow of like pioneer stories and I felt like watching that would be like going to church essentially.
Speaker 3: And are they they remaking it?
Speaker 2: I think so. I was just talking to my sister from the phone and she said, oh, you know, they're they're remaking that.
Speaker 3: So who knows, And your sister is the executive of Netflix or.
Speaker 2: She's kind of taken the reins h No, but I watched We watched the pilot and it's like, I think it's like two hours or something. It's like a movie and the things the family goes through.
Speaker 3: It's just like, I'm going to go, where is it? Where can you watch?
Speaker 2: I think it's on Amazon? Okay, And so far we haven't encountered a commercial, which has been nice.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 2: I'm sure that The Blindside is at some point. But what a show? And who who would have thought the ingles were going to have be such a pleasant time to watch? Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Michael Landon's always he's always crying.
Speaker 2: Crying or looking for an opportunity not to wear his shirt. Yes, shirt, I realized, so.
Speaker 3: No shirt, no shirt, but suspenders. It's amazing. I came out a straight man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's amazing. I came out gay not having seen the show. Maybe I'm going to double down now, but I'm through that.
Speaker 3: You watch the show, yeah, and then I then you have to after that, you have to watch Highway to Heaven? What is that Highway to Heaven? So it's Michael Landon's second show, second big show that he did with the guy from the the his friend on Little House in the Prayer, the goy, the Beard.
Speaker 2: Oh, the guy. His name's Victor French.
Speaker 3: Victor French, Yes, remember Victor French teams up with Michael Landon for Highway to Heaven, which I believe is I didn't see much. I didn't watch a lot of Highway to Heaven, but it was I think Michael Landon is an angel who's like back, has stuck back on Earth, has to do good deeds to get back to Heaven into Heaven, I think, And Victor French is like a truck driver that he keeps running into It's you gotta watch it if you're if you watch Little House, you gotta.
Speaker 2: Keep keep you think that did that show go very long that?
Speaker 3: I don't know, Probably long enough. It was. It got indosyndication, probably Okay, Yeah, it wasn't like a one and done kind of deal.
Speaker 2: And like communication with God throughout or is it kind of stranded on Earth exit?
Speaker 3: I couldn't tell you. We'd have to we'd have to pull up an episode, which I'm happy to do.
Speaker 2: Just watch a whole episode of Have It right now. It feels like Victor French's role in all of these Landon programs is to kind of just randomly show up. Because the episode we're watching right now of Little House, they needed a babysitter because the Ingle parent Ingle's parents are going on holiday and they need.
Speaker 3: Where are they going. They're going, They're going to Europe.
Speaker 2: They're going to d No, they're going to some other town. He has to drop something off, but he's treating as they keep saying.
Speaker 3: Holiday to St. Louis or something.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly. But the first night of their holiday is them sleeping on the ground in front of a fire, So I guess like that's kind of the getting away for them. But the the babysitter gets a sore throat and can't babysit.
Speaker 3: Which in those days means you eventually die.
Speaker 2: She'll probably be by the end of And then here comes Victor French, just kind of stumbling into town. Oh you need a babysitter? Right here, I am. The kids love me.
Speaker 3: That's cute.
Speaker 2: But what a show. I can't recommend it enough and there's nothing else for me to watch on TV.
Speaker 3: Right Yeah, I might be with you, joining you.
Speaker 2: A tough time. What have you been up to? Well?
Speaker 3: I have two kids, sure, I tend to spend a lot of time with them, go to their baseball games. I'm a big baseball fan, so I watched a lot of Are you watching the Dodgers or watching any baseball team, if you're really into it ends up taking up a lot of your time.
Speaker 2: It's a kind of a job.
Speaker 3: It's on almost every day.
Speaker 2: Do they play every day?
Speaker 3: Play like four days a week or five days a week?
Speaker 2: That does feel wild?
Speaker 3: And the games are like three or four hours long.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's almost a career.
Speaker 3: It's my part time job.
Speaker 2: Yet, how are they doing.
Speaker 3: They're doing okay, but they're not doing as good as they should be doing if you're looking at the stats and the numbers and stuff. And this the NL West, which is the division they're in, is very competitive at the moment. Padres and the Giants are doing very well as well. So it's it's it's exciting. I guess what else free time? I don't know. I run and jaw like you know, that's what I do in the morning.
Speaker 2: Is that a Have you been a runner jogger your whole life? Uh?
Speaker 3: Fits and starts. But I've kind of in the past few years gotten into like pretty much every day. It took a way to start the day.
Speaker 2: How far are you jogging? Running? Uh?
Speaker 3: Three miles? That's pretty good, pretty good, And it's it's it's a I lived live on a hill so I run halfway down and then halfway up. I mean I run all the way down and then half.
Speaker 2: The way back up, okay, and then walk.
Speaker 3: Then do a walk the rest of the nice.
Speaker 2: So yeah, So it's just like you have to build up to that.
Speaker 3: I need to actually push it to the next level because I've been stationary. I've been at that level for a couple of years. Right, I get muscles. Yeh, see, you got muscles. How do I get muscles? Because I go to the gym sometimes I lift weights, but they never turn into muscles.
Speaker 2: I have a I kind of do an extreme thing.
Speaker 3: Extreme things.
Speaker 2: This is the thing I do is I go to this small gym and silver leg that's run by a husband and wife team. They're lovely, and you go for a half hour and they put you through. I mean, it's kind of up to you. They give you like a thing, a list of exercises to do, and like you're supposed to do five sets of each of them or whatever, and you just do as much as possible. And so I walk away probably every other time, dry heaving. Really it's very dear, not pleasant, but it's the only I had never worked out before, right, And so This is just how I've learned to exercise right. And it's the nice thing is it's a half hour.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like it's your in and out right.
Speaker 2: Because if I go to a gym just by myself, I'm kind of I know.
Speaker 3: That's what I do. I go to this gym I go to and I just rent pick up things and do the same thing. And I don't push it. Really I don't. I mean, I don't know. I'm always you know, it'd be interesting to get to have a bunch.
Speaker 2: Of muscles go way too far with Now, when I go to a regular gym, I'm so insecure because I don't know how to work out without someone kind of at least keeping an eye on me.
Speaker 3: Well, so these people are doing that sort of.
Speaker 2: They kind of there. I think at Max there are probably seven people in the gym at once, and so the people wander around and if you're doing something wrong, they'll tell you and you can ask them questions.
Speaker 3: And but it's not a set time.
Speaker 2: No, you have to make an appointment. Oh you do, do you have to make an appointment? But they're great, they're wonderful. I think I'm suspicious. Miranda July has this new novel out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my wife read it. Everybody, everybody, all the women in my life.
Speaker 2: Of course, every woman I've ever met just read this book. Yeah, of course the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's over there reading your lady books.
Speaker 2: But in this book, it's said in east eastern Los Angeles. The protagonist lives, probably in Silver Lake. She ends up going to this gym in a basement, in a basement run by a husband and wife team. And I have to imagine, right, this is the gym.
Speaker 3: There's I used to I used to live in Silver Lake, and I went to that very gay gym, you know, the very.
Speaker 2: Is it Pharaohs. It's like, that's the gayest gym I can think of.
Speaker 3: It's right on that main drag because that is like a traditionally gay area of Los Angeles, right like back in the day when it was like there were actual I don't know, you know.
Speaker 2: What I means of communities.
Speaker 3: Yea, right now it feels like it doesn't matter. Hopefully it doesn't matter. But this felt like real, like muscle muscle men, you know, village people's style, you know, guys working out in leather kind of. I went to that gym for a while.
Speaker 2: But that was like a traditional gym. There wasn't a it was.
Speaker 3: Not only husbands, your husband material. But I had a trainer and I didn't like that experience. You don't like being told what to do well, I didn't like the chit chat. I don't like this a small talk as we're working out. So what'd you get up to this weekend? I don't know, man, I don't really want to check it. I don't I don't know.
Speaker 2: The chit chat at my gym is limited to almost exclusively what we're watching on TV, and they have good tastes in TV, so there's just a lot of me complaining to them and them complaining back, and it feels good. Uh. The place I don't like to chit chat is my haircut and my This has been a weird thing actually, where my barber doesn't talk to me at all, and my boyfriend has started going to the same person and apparently has these long conversations. I don't know if it's just I'm so off putting as a person that he doesn't want to talk to me, or if he's just catching.
Speaker 3: He's resting and yeah, yeah, interesting.
Speaker 2: But he comes back and my boyfriend and talking about everything with this person. I mean, I have no complaints, I don't want to talk right, but I'm feeling left out.
Speaker 3: I could feel that. I imagine you would. Now this sounds hacky. I always worried about this sounding hacky, but it's true. It's very true.
Speaker 2: I think true things are sometimes hacky.
Speaker 3: But I get it at that. I get the small talk at the dentist. Oh, sure of course, and I got literally got so how are the kids doing? Like I can't believe it's happening when it's happening, Like you don't. It's fine, right, you guys. You guys have plans over the summer.
Speaker 2: Well do to me if I'm the hygienas or the dentist. I'm never getting clear answers from the patient like I would eventually be like, I'm just not gonna ask them. I'm not having a healthy conversation with them.
Speaker 3: Yes, and maybe do it before you get the stuff in the mouth.
Speaker 2: Just ketch up, real ketchup, real.
Speaker 3: Quick, as a as an icebreaker or whatever.
Speaker 2: But I wonder if it's just because it's such an intimate thing they feel like it's.
Speaker 3: The whole thing is awkward. Can you imagine you end up becoming you end up you're a dentist and you're like or a dental hygienist. You Thank god they're people that are willing to do it, but just in people's mouths and scraping away.
Speaker 2: Oh awful. My problem with my dentist is they've installed some of those overhead lights that are kind of a bluish yeah, and I can't so I get they give me migrants. I have to wait outside of the waiting room until they let me in. Really, and I don't have the heart to tell them. Just would you get something a warmer light?
Speaker 3: Right? Well? Can you wear certain glasses?
Speaker 2: Maybe I should wear sunglasses?
Speaker 3: They give me sunglasses at my dentist really, yeah.
Speaker 2: Like tinted lenses. Oh that's interesting. But see this is when I'm in the waiting.
Speaker 3: Room, even in the waiting room, it's yeah.
Speaker 2: It's I think it's almost worse. So I don't, uh, I don't know how to approach that.
Speaker 3: I would approach it.
Speaker 2: And it's hard to find a good dentist, and I like this person.
Speaker 3: I have a great I do have a great dentist. But I would just talk to them about.
Speaker 2: It, Okay, yeah, maybe just leave an anonymous c LP review or something.
Speaker 3: Well, well, I mean this is not something that they can change. You mean the blue lights in the waiting room.
Speaker 2: In the waiting room, it's it's almost that like they're like led lights or whatever, and they obviously just put no thought into like which bulb they should buy, and so they're blinding really blue. And if you wait too long, I guess I'm too sensitive.
Speaker 3: Maybe you treat it like empathy, empathy towards the person that is in the in the reception. Oh my goodness, how do you deal with these lights all day long?
Speaker 2: That's such a good weight to approach. Yes, I'm worried about you, right, I'm fine with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do have a problem with the daylight lights being used in interiors. Do you know how that's been going on?
Speaker 2: No, I'm not familiar.
Speaker 3: So there's like color temperatures for different kinds of lights, And this would be like the lights here, like an indoor tungsten light as opposed to a day and a daylight light feels like it's you're in outside, right, too bright? It's too bright. But also it has a temperature to it, a color to it that is like whiter. I guess you'd say, right. And a lot of times people, especially in airbnbs or hotels, Oh yeah, they will put in daylight bulbs interior lamps, and it's hard. You'll know it. It's like bathroom lighting in your living room.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, it's so bright so you can see every pore. Yeah, which you just don't need.
Speaker 3: In living spaces.
Speaker 2: Living spaces, well, I mean thinking of I mean speaking of unpleasant things and things that I don't want to deal with. I was excited to have you here today.
Speaker 3: Thank you. We've met a couple, we've.
Speaker 2: Met a couple of times. We've spent enough time together that I thought we would have a nice time, we would chat, move on with our days. The podcast is called I said no gifts. I assume at least one email was sent to you with the title I would hope. I hope that someone within this production is a professional. So it was a little thrown when you walked into the studio holding what couldn't more clearly be a gift, This beautifully wrapped, kind of book sized gift. It's got kind of a Santa Claus, very cute, little little stration. Is that a gift for me?
Speaker 3: It is? I apologize if it sets you off or anything. But I thought it was sarcastic or ironic of a title. I just didn't. I mean, I don't. I'm not a gift giver. Okay, I don't. It's my wife's department, right, I don't. I'm not a guy that likes to introduce more waste into this world. Most of the people I know have everything they want, right, and if they don't, they should be able to get it whenever they want.
Speaker 2: And you surround yourself with people who are just kind of living simple people.
Speaker 3: Okay, sure, simple people. So this was an interest. So I saw that Emai, I said, well, this is an interesting challenge for me to see if I can embrace the idea of gift giving. I don't even know how to wrap presence, and I figured it out.
Speaker 2: You did a nice show.
Speaker 3: This isn't the best back here.
Speaker 2: But it's better than I could have done.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, I don't know that the.
Speaker 2: Corners are so clean. My corners with a gift wrapping, they're always kind of puffed out or too much tape on them.
Speaker 3: Right, But in the spirit of not wasting, I got you something that I don't think involved any waste. Oh, Okay, if you will accept that, I'd appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Should I open it here on the podcast.
Speaker 3: Is that how you do it?
Speaker 2: I mean maybe we'll make an exception. Tokay, okay, let's oh crispy, okay. So it is a book.
Speaker 3: It is a book.
Speaker 2: It is a book, Songs of the Doomed, with an introduction by you, written by Hunter S. Thompson.
Speaker 3: Oh so I want you to read the inscription in the Is that what it's called? Inscription?
Speaker 2: Let's see, this is Bridger. They sent me six copies of this book. I hope you can read.
Speaker 3: Well, it looks like you can.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I can't back out now, I can't lie about reading. And I love tim. They sent you six copies of.
Speaker 3: This book, right because I wrote the introduction?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: And what am I going to do with six copies of the same book? I don't need six, guys.
Speaker 2: It's a weird thing for the publisher to do. Is this to pump up the sales numbers?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but now I have five copies, which is too much? Right as well? I'm so I'm on. I don't know if you consider a regift or whatever, but I'm offloading some stuff. So you're doing me a favor as well.
Speaker 2: Hate to hear it. Well, this is a weird position that they've put you in, because if you were to just drop them off at Goodwill, that's keeping people from buying book, right, if you were to give them to friends, it feels weird. I can't imagine, do you. Is it a thing you leave on the table in case somebody comes over and they say, hey, I had like a copy.
Speaker 3: No, I don't. I just had. I have a bookshelf and I have six copies of that book on it. Now I have five.
Speaker 2: What are you possibly supposed to do with this?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I mean I didn't read it, but revolved that I wrote the introduction. Uh. The publisher wrote me and asked me to write the intro, and I I did read some of it. It's a collection of his It's a collection of some of his writings from various points of his life. And I mean, I grew up reading hunter S. Thompson and knew enough about him to And he said, just write a couple of pages about Huntress Thompson and how you feel about it. Right, I'll do that.
Speaker 2: Have you talked to it? I assume you've talked about this publicly about Hunter S. Thompson at some point. It wasn't just a wild swing by the publisher.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I think he was just he knew me in general from my podcast and from whatever. He probably just said, do you I mean, he might have asked, did you are you? Are you a fan of Huntress Thompson?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Would you be interested?
Speaker 2: And then was it difficult writing the intro? Let me see you feel like that's high stakes?
Speaker 3: Uh No, I don't. I couldn't have met. I don't think it was very difficult. It was really only look, this is page one of it. This is page and we're done. That's what he said. He goes, we only need like whatever the page and the number is.
Speaker 2: It's a very short which I appreciate because when when there's an intro in a book, I usually skip it because it's it's like, you know, a full chapter, and I'm like, well, let me just read the book. I don't need anyone else's opinion right now. No, yeah, And I don't want to waste any more time. I'm already wasting time reading, so why why would I possibly do that? But this feels like this is a low pressure intro.
Speaker 3: There's no excuse to not read my intro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of embarrassing if you don't. You should almost read it by accident.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's see here. And then there's always like an intro, and then there's a preface, well what is the difference?
Speaker 2: And an author's note and an editor's note in this one. Oh my goodness, so they've gone too far.
Speaker 3: I also love when they say editor's note and then it's like three pages like it should be, just like, I hope you enjoyed the book.
Speaker 2: The editors just stepping in and giving themselves a few pages.
Speaker 3: I'm sure you know. We went to great length to make sure that the work we did was at the highest level of quality.
Speaker 2: At this point, you've already got the reader hooked. You've got them to either buy or get into the library.
Speaker 3: Damn editor, I have to say. Shortly before this book went to press, we were stunned and profoundly demoralized by the newsbook that had been seized certain I don't know what anyway, and then you got quotes from other books. It's I was like the quote from other books, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, setting a tone, Oh.
Speaker 3: I see, who is this one from George Barker, Sacred Elegy five, nineteen forty three. Fiend, Behind the Fiend, Behind the Fiend, Behind the Fiend, all right. I also kind of threw him under the bus here a little bit, I think, really well, because then you read more like I think my point was like, when you're in high school, there's something cool about her, of course, very cool. Then you get older and you're like, well, this is no way to live. There's no way to behave.
Speaker 2: It's a bad life.
Speaker 3: You're like doing all these drugs and response shooting, shooting stuff and not doing your work.
Speaker 2: No one can count on you, I know, and everybody for whatever reason it's working.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're getting rewarded. Ye and bad behavior.
Speaker 2: He should have been jailed. Yeah, he should have been in prison. No, I never read Hunter s Thompson, and I think then got to a point where it's like, well, now it's too late, and I feel like it is the sort of thing where like the season need to be planted early, so like, yeah, I wonder if he would annoy me.
Speaker 3: Now Yeah, I don't know. I mean it's where I think, you know, the big ones are, well, they're exciting to read.
Speaker 2: Right, I feel like he's probably it's it's one of those like.
Speaker 3: But of its time as well, and a lot of it was very contemporary, writing about Nixon or whatever's going on in the country at that time. That feels like he must have been really exciting to read in the moment as it's happening.
Speaker 2: But I'm sure a lot of those things still apply now.
Speaker 3: They do as well, obviously obviously.
Speaker 2: But interesting. Is there any do you feel like this is a good starting point for me to start reading Hunt.
Speaker 3: I don't think so. No, I don't think I don't think so. I mean, this is his stuff from the nineties, you know, it's like my first Rolling Stones record is is about Bridges to Babylon or something.
Speaker 2: You don't associate him with the nineties at all. I mean, what is he writing about in the nineties, Well, that's.
Speaker 3: When he kind of moved to Colorado and is like living off the grid and stuff and hanging out some value down. Yeah, you know what, dig dive in. Maybe it'll be right up your alley. Start with the introduction.
Speaker 2: No, I'm trying to think of I guess Fear and Loathing.
Speaker 3: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: It feels like a god.
Speaker 3: Then fear and Loathing on the campaign trail of nineteen seventy two, the McGovern campaign. Look at me, I'm so smart.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm trying to give you opportunities. Are you reading anything right now?
Speaker 3: What am I reading right now? I've been doing a lot of audiobooks. Does that count? That counts? Right?
Speaker 2: I think that counts.
Speaker 3: The Room to Dream is this biography slash memoir of David Lynch. Oh, that's real great. The premise of this book is they of every chapter. You know, let's say they're talking about Twin Peaks. So the chapter on Twin Peaks is read by the author of who's writing like a biography, you know, right right, he met him and this is how that happened and all that stuff. And then after that chapter David jumps on, I remember that was the first time I worked with so and so, and it really was something else, and we didn't get all of it the first day, but I dropped my impression, but I was there for a second. And then it's it's his perspective on that period.
Speaker 2: Is there any like him correcting the record or anything?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, But it does have that feeling of not something he's reading. It feels like he's just on the mic. Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: It's such an entertaining person to just hear talk.
Speaker 3: The other one that was like that that I recently had as read was al Pacino's.
Speaker 2: Memoir Oh does he read the whole thing?
Speaker 3: Yes, And it's the bad And it does feel like he's either reading it for the first time and finding out about it for the first time, or he's remembering and kind of he keeps talking about losing and then I lost all my money, I ran the money. What are you gonna do? And I had to do an Adam Samla movie. But it's great. He's like I loved him so much more than I already loved him after reading that.
Speaker 2: He's an incredible person.
Speaker 3: He really is. And what's funny is like there's this perception of him as like this tough guy, you know, scar faced godfather, and he's like a wacky art guy, you know, interesting, real, wacky, real, you know, he's a New York theater actor guy who's not tough at all. But anyways, it's a very very good memoir, maybe the best. One of the best actor memoirs I've ever.
Speaker 2: Read, was there any like shocking fact you learned or anything interesting.
Speaker 3: I don't remember you think.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is it's a gun beare question for me to ask.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's the funny ship was like towards the end where he's like he's got all these kids, and he's got all these ex wives and and and he's like spending money like a madman. But just because I know he's talking, he told one story about like flying to London private on a private jet and staying at taking a whole floor of some hotel, and and and then he has like all these cell phones that he's paying for and all the and then like meanwhile, his his like age is a business manager has been like ripping him off for ten years and he's finding out about that. And he's like, I don't have any money. I don't know what to do. But then I get another job and the money comes in. But he's like, you really, He's like sometimes these old guys like their expenses are through the rule because living like kings in the seventies.
Speaker 2: And eighties, family members who are used to a certain life, see who are probably creating new expenses all the time. Wow, Yeah, I kind of getting to that age and still worrying about like, oh my god, I'm out of money I've got.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine it. Yeah, I know, I can't believe I might personally have like worked myself into this life where I'm like, you know, don't think about it. But then here I am at almost fifty and being like I have two kids, and I'm like, I gotta have to. I'm just have to. Like I'm doing well, but there's no guarantees.
Speaker 2: No, especially in this horrible business.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that business is changing so dramatically. You know. It's occasionally these jobs come in. It's like, oh, that's nice, that's a lot of money. Wow, Okay, why would they pay me that much money? But then you're like, man, that might be the last time that ever happens. Then what do I fucking do?
Speaker 2: But I think the thing you have going for you is you you lead a pretty stable, reasonable lifestyle.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's true, it is true. I don't My expenses are fairly reasonable, and I have no boats or anything.
Speaker 2: Right, I don't foresee you making any giant swings. It's suddenly like you're just out of control.
Speaker 3: And yes, it's true, I'm very conservative.
Speaker 2: Grambling that way, Wow, al Pacino, I need to read that. So you're reading the book, I've already forgotten what book you're Oh the data.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I haven't really gone into like novel world in a while and feel bad about that.
Speaker 2: I think it's uh, reading nonfiction is easier.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I enjoy you're hearing about real people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just like, I don't know if.
Speaker 3: You're going to make stuff up, I'll watch it as a TV show or a movie, or if the book is so good they'll make it into a movie.
Speaker 2: I'll wait. Yeah, yeah, I uh, fiction more and more, I'm like getting halfway through a novel, like I'm not enjoying myself and I'm not learning. Whereas if I'm not enjoying a piece of nonfiction, I'm like I can be like, well, at least new facts are entering my brain that I could eventually share on a podcast or this kind of thing. Yes, a dinner conversation, conversation, that's my entire life now. I was just trying to think of new things that I can share with friends.
Speaker 3: What else could I They don't want to hear about.
Speaker 2: The absolutely want nothing to do with and then they'll kind of say the same things back to me and we'll go home.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm reading about Facebook right now.
Speaker 3: Oh and uh oh is there a new book.
Speaker 2: That it might be new? It's called Careless People?
Speaker 3: Mmm, like from an insider's perspective.
Speaker 2: Yes, this woman who was like in charge of pushing it into new countries or she she kind of looked at it as like, we're going to this is going to be a worldwide thing we need to be responsible for. And I was trying to convince everyone at Facebook that that.
Speaker 3: Mattered, right, and they said, they said.
Speaker 2: Not really, as long as we're growing our numbers, it doesn't really matter how our behavior is. I haven't really learned I mean, everything you would possibly assume about Facebook, yes.
Speaker 3: Or whatever that is, like, oh yeah.
Speaker 2: But it is fun to have a little stories about Mark Zuckerberg being a loser. Sure, well, I've got this book. Is there anything else we need to say about Hunter S. Thompson?
Speaker 3: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Do you do any prose writing outside of intros to.
Speaker 3: Well? I mean I write a lot of the stuff I do.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 3: I put out a tour diary book last year through McSweeney's that was exciting. Yeah, So yeah, I did that every day on tour and that it was. It worked well enough that I sent it to Dave Eggers and they put it in their one of their issues as like a book that you can read, Oh lovely and every on my Patreon for office hours. Every Saturday, I write a blog. I oh, that's nice, and I really like it. I really enjoy writing. Some more things in the works maybe that are not official, but you know.
Speaker 2: What are you blogging about?
Speaker 3: Oh, you know, whatever's in my head, whatever, my trip to the dentist last week. Politics, things i'm worried about, if something funny happened in my life that deserves some attention, right, Yeah. And also like, oh, here's this thing I'm working on, and here's a little bit about why I do it, or you know, just a little self introspection or whatever.
Speaker 2: No, I think that's nice almost journaling, Yeah it is.
Speaker 3: It is a bit thing I.
Speaker 2: Miss blogging, you know, in the late oughts, the blogging of all of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's I mean, it feels like it's coming back because everyone's doing substats and I don't really I follow like a couple of people, but uh, I don't. I don't want to go there. Because it's one of the value benefits of the patriots.
Speaker 2: Of course one of my yes got to have some sort of things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, of course it costs me nothing but time, which is valuable. But I like doing it. I get up on Saturday, but it's always Saturday morning, and I get up and before everyone's up, I have some coffee and I sit there and I try to put something.
Speaker 2: You give yourself a time limit or not really.
Speaker 3: No, it usually, I mean I usually eventually have other things to do, so I try to wrap it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Sub sex for me, I feel like I'm ambitious about reading them. I subscribe to them constantly, and then it just becomes this annoying thing in my email. Then I start feeling guilty and I don't want to unsubscribe, and I guess that just reflects poorly on me. Yeah, I should be reading more, but or being more selective about who I'm Well.
Speaker 3: Did they do a thing on there where you can it like collects them all into like a digest or something a smart thing.
Speaker 2: Like an app or something that does that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you're just like more. It's more of like a magazine experience, right, reading a bunch of emails that we don't want to read a bunch of emails.
Speaker 2: Getting a long emails and unpleasant things.
Speaker 3: I just got one this morning about my h this commercial I'm doing show. I'll show you just the email length.
Speaker 2: No way, no way, that's probably two printed pages.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of numbers in here. Times.
Speaker 2: I have to imagine that could be boiled down to like four bulleted points. That person is wasting their time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a brain dump. It's like you write that separately and then then you'll answer your own.
Speaker 2: Questions to figure out what you actually have to convey. That's a bad email, right or that's like almost an old fashioned type of email.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And there's like a couple of questions question marks at the end. Too many question marks at the end. Okay, calm down, reset?
Speaker 2: Have you responded to it yet? No? See that sort of thing. That would I would hit snooze on that probably four times before I got back to it.
Speaker 3: Do you want to hear a funny text exchange my mom and me and my wife. Maybe you need a little more context of who we're dealing with here, But let's just pretend we all have moms.
Speaker 2: We've all they all have a certain texting style.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this was there. She's coming. She's in Palm Springs, so it's it's she comes to visit us quite a bit. I met your mom's yes, of course in Palm Springs. So she's coming for the weekend. And she texts my wife and I yesterday, Okay, we'll come. This is this okay comes out of nowhere.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's like.
Speaker 3: It's a news thread, a new thread.
Speaker 2: Okay is a response to yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, okay, we'll come sat. We'll just say we'll come Saturday unless you need me Friday for some reason. Exclamation point, question mark heart. My wife says, sounds great, thumbs up. My mom says, sorry, did you mean coming question mark Saturday? Question mark comes great? Or Friday sounds great? No, So she then clarifies, Oops, was in card doing verbal and didn't understand my accent accent because I understand my accent. I'll come Sat unless here different my wife. My wife, very patient, says, but this is a little little attitude here.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting, she's getting hurt.
Speaker 3: You said will come Saturday. I said, sounds great. Clown face.
Speaker 2: Calling your mama clown.
Speaker 3: Clown. Yes, I realized, she says, yes, I realized that when I reread it. Sorry about that, but I'll see you Saturday. Can't we see you? But it was like, will come Saturday unless you need me Friday for some reason. Sounds great. Your reaction to that would be see you Saturday.
Speaker 2: Of course, it's a very I mean, it's just a clear there's not that many options there.
Speaker 3: No, no, yeah, anyways, I was just watching all that. I didn't get involved.
Speaker 2: I did not Oh you were, but you're you were on the text.
Speaker 3: On the time said no no chiming in.
Speaker 2: If I open a text thread and there's like more than three things going, I just wait for it to similar back down. I'm like, I'm not going to answer everybody's questions here. If two more two or three people are communicating, they'll figure it out, and then I could say the final thing for sure, heart something. I won't do a thumbs up, because then it just seems like I was mad the whole time.
Speaker 3: People get mad about the thumbs up.
Speaker 2: It's a cold response. I don't know, and it's a strange thing that it is, because it's just a neutral thing. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I guess if you I think we're too over zealous with the hearts. Yeah, and I say that those things are like conversation enders.
Speaker 2: Oh, completely right. It's like I don't want to say any other things to you, even if it's a heart, you know. Yeah, but the thumbs.
Speaker 3: Up got it, it's a got it without being that brusque.
Speaker 2: About it, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think if we just moved back to more thumbs up on everything, less hearts, then the heart would mean more.
Speaker 3: You know what drives me? That's in a in a sorry.
Speaker 2: I keep going on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, if you're in a group thread and somebody goes and if let's say it's a happy birthday, sure, happy birthday scenario. The person that goes back and then likes the all the various bing bing bing, you're getting all these alerts that this person is going back and liking things.
Speaker 2: Sam, Yeah, that's so unfair to every fo.
Speaker 3: We assume that you liked or I mean we maybe we don't. Maybe we we should assume it. It doesn't matter to you that other people said happy birthday in this thread.
Speaker 2: I think it's almost it's not about you. They don't care, and so they're just like checking boxes here. Oh a little check is a decent one. They should add my.
Speaker 3: Friend who's who's also my tour manager when we tour, a longtime great friend. His go to reply is the check mark emoji, like when things are like clear, final, right, che market.
Speaker 2: That's way better than the thumbs up, because I do think a thumbs up in real life is almost always sarcastic. I mean rarely do you do that great? Well yeah, yeah, but the check people love to see a check Yeah. There we go, all right, self issue, And your mom's coming Saturday.
Speaker 3: We'll see she might, she might. It's Friday now she might be there. Oh, I thought you said, And I want to say to her, this is where I want to come from. Come whenever you want. Yeah, Like she we have a little guest house that she has full access to. Yes, she can come and go as she pleases. We love to have her, of course, and she's welcome anytime. We We don't when we were when the kids were younger, there was more of that feeling of like can you come and.
Speaker 2: Right we need your help right now, we need your help.
Speaker 3: Now we're kind of like the kids are, they're older and they can kind of like do their own thing. We still have to, you know, we we still have to pick them up and do that stuff. But we have lots of where so that maybe is feeling a little there's a little transition there where it's like, you know, we were it's not so much about the childcare, but if you're if you want to come early, come down.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I can't imagine she's going to be that much, you know, a trouble.
Speaker 3: No, it's not trouble.
Speaker 2: No. I think that's that lines up with my mom's behavior, where you almost have to beg her to do things that are fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she thinks being doing.
Speaker 2: Normal behavior is overstepping her boundaries. Right, No, that's fine. And the fact that we've had to ask you, now that's trouble exactly.
Speaker 3: It's like, did you want me to empty the dishwasher? I'm like, I don't, like, do you want to? If you want to have to a dishwasher? Like that would be great helpful, sure, but don't ask me if like would I I rather do it? No? Like you know what I mean? Like, now we're talking about emptying the dishwasher.
Speaker 2: What about me makes you think I would be mad that you emptied the dishwasher?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Exactly? Yeah, sweet sweet people absolutely.
Speaker 3: Lovely let me always are the best.
Speaker 2: Intentions, best intentions. I want to I'm curious about your policy on locked doors at your house because my boyfriend.
Speaker 3: Is this is pretty now okay, I mean, I can't imagine your audience is full of bunch of burglars and MS thirteen gang members.
Speaker 2: We have a very gang heavy audience. Yeah. Uh, my boyfriend is very like, even when we're at home, every door needs to be locked at all times.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, I'm not. I'm not that way. My wife is more that way. I just can't imagine a scenario, but it would certainly happen. I also remember my so my dad had They had a body shop, like a tow truck company and that kind of thing in Pennsylvania, right, And so they had this lot that was not fenced or anything, and it was but it was where the cars would be parked, be waiting to get service done or waiting to get body shop work done or something, right, and they would get occasionally broken into. Sure, and his line was always like, it's cheaper for it would be it doesn't make sense, we will never do it, but it truly would be cheaper just to have the doors open and and the windows rolled down right, because they're going to get in there, yes, and they just have to Now we have to play for the broken window to right right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's my thing where I'm like, if we ever get in such an extreme scenario that someone who's entered the house while we're here, they're going to do it either way. Yeah, yeah, they have bad intentions, let them in right. At least it'll be smoother, it be less scary, right. I don't know. I don't know where I guess there's just maybe I'm too care free.
Speaker 3: I think it's a little bit of both, a little I think it's you know, it's sure lock lock them up at night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lock it up at night, I hope.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we lock it up at night. Believe me, folks, we will. We lock it up at night. You're not getting into our house at night.
Speaker 2: Do you have alarms?
Speaker 3: Yes, we do have an alarm. We have an alarm that I'm asking all these questions.
Speaker 2: Also, just say your address on the podcast.
Speaker 3: We have alarms that I don't I'm not fastidious about. Okay.
Speaker 2: See that's how I am sure.
Speaker 3: And then you got to go in there and turn it off.
Speaker 2: Right, And I'm always worried that I'll forget and then set it off.
Speaker 3: And we've had the cops come a couple of times. I'll tell you, I'll tell you a story about the cops coming.
Speaker 2: I would love to hear it.
Speaker 3: Now. You said earlier in that everybody loves me, right, yes, everybody else. It's not true because I have created many enemies on the far right. Oh sure, right, another part of your listenership. Right. So, a few years ago I went to war with this guy named Baked No, what's his name, Baked Potato or something. It was one of these I don't know, it's one of these YouTuber right wing lunatics who went to the capitol at you were.
Speaker 2: Six gutter scum, yeah.
Speaker 3: Bad guy. And he would go around and he would film live streamers. Oh yeah. And you would go into like seven elevens and like accost people and harassed people, and people would like send him money over the like it was like a game they were playing. It's really kind of fascinating but also the most disgusting thing. And I called him out, and I was calling I was like, YouTube should not YouTubers. I was like, why why am I using YouTube?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: I love YouTube, yes, but they're also airing this like this nazi walking around like abusing people. Yeah so but of course that makes me come out like scold and all this. Anyways, I like riled up his crowd. They started coming after me. They were live streaming, like went to my old office and they're like going and so I was like really on edge. And the day that they went to my office, we were at home. It was Sunday, and I was watching this guy like which our office is like three miles away, and she was like live streaming out there like throwing. It was not it wasn't. He was an idiot and he wasn't like but it was like, oh god, this guy's like called the cops. I get this guy out of here right right. The office was closed. It was a Sunday, And about ten maybe like a half hour later, I get a bang bang bang on the door.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Before that, I asked my wife to make sure that our alarm was on sure right, so she I don't hear anything. I said, can you make sure that the alar like that this works because there's this guy like three miles away. I get a bang bang bang on the door. My kids are there. My mom is there. It's Sunday, she's there. I look out the window. We have a little peephole thing. I'm trying to think. I'm trying to get this.
Speaker 2: Order correct for our baked potato listener.
Speaker 3: Yeah, bang, bang bang. I say, get the fuck away from the door. Oh, get the fuck away, and they go it's the police. It's cop. And I'm screaming at them, and they're about to break through the.
Speaker 2: Door because I sus scenario.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is like a swatting thing. Yet there, you know, they're treating me like I'm barricading my family in the house of the shotgun. They don't know. And what happened was and eventually, like they show their badge, they open the fucking door, like you know, I don't know. I'm out of my mind, of course, and I opened the door. They sit me down. I don't. They don't handcuff, they sit me down. They have to clear they have to go in the house, make sure that nothing that there's that they like, they get everybody out of the house. They have to search the house. Helicopters are above. And what happened was my wife pressed the panic button this little fob and then her phone was dead. When they tried to call, which they do. They call, say is this an emergency? No one answers, and the protocols began.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 3: And the cops come and they just assumed the worst, that terribles happened. But three other cop cars come and then within about I would say thirty seconds, the cops started to understand what was going on, and I was, you know, under they explained it. But it could have gone could have.
Speaker 2: Been oh so so badly.
Speaker 3: But it did stem from this, like true, you know, fear of the lunatics out there right totally. I have to be a little careful about, like, yeah, keeping keeping the family.
Speaker 2: Safe, of course. And let me ask you this about that. Do they is there like a fine, do they charge you anything?
Speaker 3: They did not. I think that was I'm pretty sure that didn't happen. I think it might have been. There was a warning, don't do this, keep your phone charged. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Did you follow that story about the Weezer basis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a little bit. I don't know if we know everything about that story, do we?
Speaker 2: I don't know. All I know is there was a high speed chase. Yeah, and there's footage of the one of the suspects in someone's backyard. I don't know if you saw this, like trying to disguise himself as the person living there, and he's hosing down the garden like he's gardening.
Speaker 3: Oh that's smart and incredible idea. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then apparently she came out of the house and was holding a gun.
Speaker 3: Because why, that's what That's the big question.
Speaker 2: I guess you thought that there was something wrong that she had to defend herself from. And uh and then gets shot and then.
Speaker 3: Drop the gun.
Speaker 2: And she wouldn't drop the gun.
Speaker 3: Why wouldn't you drop the gun?
Speaker 2: Great question?
Speaker 3: Bad morning, bad morning? Maybe was it in the morning?
Speaker 2: I think so? Okay, I mean I get I'm just saying this because when I found out it was the morning shows a lack of imagination would be in the middle of the night.
Speaker 3: But I don't know the.
Speaker 2: Footage of the guy hosing down there is daytime unless this was like a twenty four hours.
Speaker 3: Nothing to do with whatever Chase was going on. She's wrong.
Speaker 2: But this woman has led kind of an interesting life because I texted a friend and he said, oh, she was on my storytelling show in twenty eleven. Oh, she was in a harem. So she's got a whole life. She's got a very rich life, this woman, and now she's been shot and is now.
Speaker 3: I wonder I'm trying to think of like the bass player for Weezer. He probably makes a pretty good living, sure, but not probably maybe not as good as you. Right, she's like not a he's like a hired gun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's not the song right right, he's not getting could be replaced at any moment.
Speaker 3: Yes, so he probably makes a nice away like a weekly like a salary right when they're on the road.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how does that work for when you're a you are a member of the band, you're on in all the press photos. Yeah, you must be contractually something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would think you're more. I don't know. It's different for every band from what I could tell, but there are band like I remember I heard the Rolling Stones, Like the only actual owners in like is Mick and Keith.
Speaker 2: That makes sense.
Speaker 3: But if you were the drummer and the bass player Bill Wyman or Charlie Watts ron Wood, you're you're just on your being paid a salary to be in the Stones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because you don't really think about that. You just think everybody's part of the team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all the money gets thrown into the pot in the middle of the table.
Speaker 2: Dive on split it up. Yeah. All I know is that the bass player played Coachella the next day.
Speaker 3: So it couldn't be that bad. Couldn't be that Do they have kids? That's what I want to know.
Speaker 2: I think there was a babysitter outside while this is happening, maybe from another house. I don't know. Again, I should have done a little more research before talking about it publicly. Yeah, but these are the things that I kind of wah.
Speaker 3: Gap between what we're doing now and when this comes out. Do you guys try to keep it tight?
Speaker 2: That's a great question. Oh wait, Tentative released June thirty. That can't possibly be true.
Speaker 3: It's going to age like old milk.
Speaker 2: There's no that's wrong.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's wrong. Okay, Well they deleted the whole sentence that he's got a monitor here, and they deleted the whole sentence.
Speaker 2: They're shutting down the podcast as we speak. The episode will never be I imagine it's may ish good oh Ano, they're typing goodbye. So now now I think too much bomb enough is enough? I think two weeks from it'll still this will be definitely old Jews. Well, we will have all the facts of the case. Hopefully she'll be out on bail and maybe she can come to the podcast. Yes, missus uh shriner reach out.
Speaker 3: You know that? So you know? Now you know who's the bass player for Weezer.
Speaker 2: Well, this is the problem to him. Have a very complicated past with Weezer. You do growing up listening to Weezer, and then I was a real fan through high school. Yeah, and now just know everything about them forever, right, And so this guy was hired. Maybe he's like to.
Speaker 3: Tell you what I was a big fan of Weezer.
Speaker 2: Did you grow up listening to.
Speaker 3: Well, I didn't grow up listening to him. I was in college. Oh yeah, little older. So but I love that Blue album. That first album is so it's poor, so elemental. And on tour the last second to last night of tour, we didn't do this a lot, but everyone's in a while. We do like music. We'd play music in the on the bus after the show and we'd all sit around listen to music. And second to last night it was like we're listening to the whole Blue album and we everybody. Eight of us we sat there blasted it like we're at the concert and like sang through the whole record. Everybody knew it, everyone loved it, and we're like, there's just not a bad song on it. It's like a perfect.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's one of those rare things just beginning to end.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but so I but then, you know, if they as as the kids say, they fell off.
Speaker 2: I think their first two albums are perfect, and then you know, you can't, you can't be great.
Speaker 3: The Green Album's good, The Green Album's fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fun enough to listen, and they've they've written plenty of fun songs since. But you know, yeah, most musicians, the road gets bumpy eventually. Sure, Okay, I think we should play a game. We're going to play a game called Gift or a Curse. But I need a number between one and ten from you.
Speaker 3: Oh, easily eight eight.
Speaker 2: I love that number. I have to do some light calculating to get our game pieces. Right now. You can promote, recommend, do whatever you want. I'll be right back.
Speaker 3: You can go check out my music on your streaming services. You can watch Office Hours live on YouTube, or go to Patreon dot com slash Office hours live on Cinema is the thing I hold deepest to my heart at the moment as far as my creative output. You could find that on our self funded subscription based streaming service High Network, h EI Network, Dot TV and Go Dodgers. I know they're They've got all the best players their the payroll is extremely high. But it's an important team in the history baseball. We should support them. Even if you're not a fan. We have to support them.
Speaker 2: Get behind the boys.
Speaker 3: They are the boys in blue in our city. If a Los Angeles suffered tremendous tragedy this year with the fires.
Speaker 2: The least you could do is support our Please.
Speaker 3: Support the Dodgers. Chavez Ravine, Thank.
Speaker 2: You, listener. I already told you about Patreon, et cetera, et cetera. Chicago, don't forget, don't let us down. Okay, Tim, this is how we play Gift or a Curse. I'm going to name three things. You'll tell me if there are a gift or a curse and why, and then I'll tell you if you're right or wrong, because there are correct answers. You can lose the game, you can win the game. You can do fine. This first one is from one of our Patreon listeners, Randall Gift or a curse Life on Earth?
Speaker 3: It's a gift. Why I love it? I love living. I know I love living because I've been in situations where I thought I might die and I it was very upsetting to me. And the older I get, the more I am so disappointed that it comes to an end. Right, you know that it will come to an end, And it's a terrible deal actually to think that you will eventually not be around. So with that in mind, it's not always easy, and sometimes it's hard and not always pleasant. And I wish I didn't have to eat every day. I wish I didn't have to go to the bathroom all every twenty minutes.
Speaker 2: We've had to stop down the podcast ten times.
Speaker 3: I haven't gone. I mean I have to go, but I haven't stopped. At the end of the day, it all shakes out to being a gift, correct, thank you?
Speaker 2: I mean, of course, And I think this is right. With everything going on, it might be the obvious answer might be cursed.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm very blessed and lucky. I mean, I'm sure there are people out there who feel like it's a curse. But I'm happy to not be one of those people.
Speaker 2: Right, I think ultimately there's a gift to be completely sincere and honest about this one. How could you not say unless? Yeah, I'm sure if people we're all having are relatively difficult times with whatever situation, but it's a gift, Randall, How dare you even put this on the list? Forget it? Okay, so you've gotten one correct so far.
Speaker 3: Let's gonna be the easy one.
Speaker 2: That's an easy oneye. This next one is from a listener named Emily. Gift or a curse going to bed with wet hair?
Speaker 3: Well, it's neither, but uh, for the if we're gonna, if we're gonna binary this, for me, it would be a curse. I don't like that feeling. Yeah, I don't generally. I generally shower in the morning, so it's not really an issue.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: If I was going to shower at night, I would dry my hair best as possible. I don't want to sleep on a wet pillow, obviously, right.
Speaker 2: Wrong curse, I mean I said curse. What you said curse?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm actually I was gonna say wrong gift. I was so excited to tell you you're wrong. Unfortunately, I'm on record on this podcast is saying taking a shower at night is a gift, and so I find I feel like I kind of have to go. This lines up with that. It means you got to take a shower at night, which is lovely.
Speaker 3: Your such work for me that at the end of the day or the end of the you know, at the end of the night, I'm already in bed, I lie down in bed, I start watching things, listening to things, and the idea of getting up and showering, it's like, that's how I start my life, sorry, start my day. My wife takes showers at night.
Speaker 2: Though, so it can be I don't shower at night every night, but it's like a little treat. It feels nice on occasion because there's no utility to it, you know, it's just I'm doing this just because to relax. Whereas in the morning, you know, I'm well, I still have endless time during the day, but I have to get things started. I have to actually be clean and go out into the world, whereas at night I can get my hair wet and lie down on a pillow and start the mildew growing.
Speaker 3: You have very short hair, fairly short hair being an issue, and yours is really long. Yeah, it's a lot of hair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can see why someone might have a problem going to bed with soaking, wet hair, but I don't. I think it's a gift. Finally, this is from a listener named joe Anne. Gift or a curse using a kitchen knife to open a box.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll see it's I'll just have again. It's right down the middle. It's not ideal, it's not the end of the world. It's probably what I do half the time, Like a steak knife.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like i'msuring not a bread knife.
Speaker 3: Yay, do it you throw it in the sink, throw in the dishwasher if you really, you know, why not? Just it's probably fine. So I'd say it's a gift because it's convenient. You're not searching around for like one of those you know, work not utility knives or something. Is that a exact o, exact exactly, thank.
Speaker 2: You, correct gift? What else? What else is anybody using to open up box? This is the only knife I ever, This is the only knife I own.
Speaker 3: Yeah, day to day knives. You can take a scissor and open it up and right.
Speaker 2: I don't mind the scissor. Yeah, but even then that is a trip to the junk drawer, and my knives are just there on the counter, and there's kind of a danger, kind of a thrill. I don't see anything wrong with it. I think, yeah, mild thrill, but you have to look for mild thrills. Well, you got two out of three great, not absolutely horrible.
Speaker 3: No, that's pretty good, decent.
Speaker 2: Well, I think we should answer a listener question people are sending in the voice notes the emails to I said, no gives at gmail dot com. Could we play one of those.
Speaker 4: H'm bridger and scurrilous, guest. I think that's a word. I am calling in because I have a query for you. I still have my ex husband's last name, but I would like to change it before I have a baby, and I don't know what to change it to. My maiden name doesn't quite feel right anymore, and I need some suggestions for what my new last name should be. Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.
Speaker 3: Starting to get why this marriage didn't work out.
Speaker 2: This person needs a new last name and they've turned to.
Speaker 3: Us well, and also, what's wrong with the originally to go back to your original last name.
Speaker 2: I guess she's a new person. I just found a new chapter.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the things. These these are the unknown unknowns. We don't know her first name, do we?
Speaker 2: No? Not? She didn't mention it.
Speaker 3: So what are we doing? What are we working? We're working with We're in the docuum, We're we're working in the dark.
Speaker 2: What would you change your last name too?
Speaker 3: I wouldn't change my last name. I'm not I don't care about I don't you don't. I don't have any tattoos, I don't any piercings. I don't care about any of that. I don't care about my identity. You want to call me a woman, I don't care. Years ago, I happen to be a man who gives a ship.
Speaker 2: Ibout forty years ago, you and I would have both had to change our last names for show business.
Speaker 3: Ah, yes, Tim Heidecker, I never loved that name.
Speaker 2: Hard name to pronounce.
Speaker 3: Or Yeah, your name's a burden, it's a mess. Uh yeah, tim uh tim uh. Miller, that's a nice name.
Speaker 2: It's a safe guy. Tim Jones Miller Jones are both nice last names that this person could take on.
Speaker 3: That my Miller is my mother's my grandmother's maiden name.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh that's a nice name. Why not?
Speaker 3: I mean this there is a Tim Miller is like a political he's like as a political guy.
Speaker 2: Good or bad.
Speaker 3: He's good. He was like a Republican who's gone anti Trump.
Speaker 2: Good for him?
Speaker 3: Who's gay?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 3: Gay? It's like when my dad would say, like, he's this guy is actually gay. But he's like, but it's not bad. He's not bad.
Speaker 2: He's nice enough.
Speaker 3: He's a really nice guy.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't want to hang out with him. Uh, Miller Mill, Tim Miller. That's a nice last name. Obviously, wine girl or hide is a name she could take on.
Speaker 3: Again, not knowing the first name is criminal.
Speaker 2: It's a huge mister.
Speaker 3: Can we find out? Did this? Is there an email?
Speaker 2: Actually I can?
Speaker 3: I just see here.
Speaker 2: I forwarded the email earlier.
Speaker 3: Because if you had a first name, we could work with that I could play around with.
Speaker 2: My idea is Sarah Jane. That's the name, Sarah Jane, Sarah Jane, Sarah Jane Carter, Sarah Jane Carter. That's a nice that seems almost a little house.
Speaker 3: Yes, ingles, we could do Sarah j Ingles.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 3: You don't want to do who's the the the oh Nelly Olsen? Yeah, Sarah Jane Olsen.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you don't want to be part of the Olsen family.
Speaker 3: I think Sarah Jane Potter, Sarah Jane Carter, Sarah Jane Miller, Cruise, Sarah Jane Cruse. I don't like that.
Speaker 2: Cruise is a made up last name, isn't it Tom Cruise? That's real last name.
Speaker 3: I think it is his real name, but I don't really know.
Speaker 2: No, I think he has like kind of a strange, like a last name that's hard.
Speaker 3: To spell or oh really, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Now I'm going to look it up because now I'm embarrassed. Let's see Tom Tom Cruise.
Speaker 3: There should be a rule, a law that podcasts aren't allowed to look things up.
Speaker 2: Everything just has to be kind of sent out into the public.
Speaker 3: Check.
Speaker 2: His middle name is Cruse. His last name is my pother Mapither.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, that is a mess and he's the fourth. Wow.
Speaker 2: Well then Sarah Jane Cruise, Mypather the fourth. There we go.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 2: How would you pronounce m A p O t h e R MAPI my pother? Yeah, I can see why he got rid of that. Ah, Sarah Jane, We've given you several options.
Speaker 3: I feel like, yeah, we've done our due diligence.
Speaker 2: S Thompson. I'm just looking around the room, Sarah JM.
Speaker 3: Sarah Jane Thompson's nice. It is nice.
Speaker 2: That's a strong name.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the thing.
Speaker 2: I'll say. Find a name that people can immediately identify and bell and pronounce. Don't curse yourself with some difficult thing.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, I mean I do a lot of casting with this in this commercial. I'm a very the epidemic that it's occurring. Forget all the stuff that RFK Junior is talking about, the epidemic of names of young people.
Speaker 2: Now, what are you hearing?
Speaker 3: Bryson and uh I can't, I don't. You don't remember them because they're they're not they're unfamiliar to you. Well, you're raiding.
Speaker 2: You're talking to a bridger, which that's true. To be fair, say.
Speaker 3: These are there's way worse ones, and people know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: I think Utah and uh Utah culture is kind of the ground zero for a lot of these names. Famously, there are a lot of creative names coming out of Utah. For whatever reason, I.
Speaker 3: Wish I could remember these names. I saw like a hundred of them, Like, this is just such a burden for these kids as they get older, they're gonna have to get what is that again?
Speaker 2: Abreno was a nick you nurse and the names that she was coming across nick nurse, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like Neo. Oh god, I thought you said her name was is nick nurse?
Speaker 2: My sister Nick nurse? I never heard that one the name she would provide, there was somebody named Americus. Someone named their daughter Americus, which.
Speaker 3: I don't like it.
Speaker 2: I don't love to hear.
Speaker 3: And now let me just retract and say every I love. I love a big, beautiful, diverse world.
Speaker 2: And of course names are just sounds and stupid. Yeah, they're stupid, made up words. But some are way more stupid than others, I would say, in our opinion, in my opinion, and they're ultimately Harry, Tom Dick, and Harry what happened to Tom? Sally, Jane, Sue, Mary Show.
Speaker 3: Those are the four names you can choose from. That's it. At the at the hospital and a baby you should have like eight names to choose from.
Speaker 2: It's like picking a license plate. Whatever. Well, we answered the question perfectly. Sarah Jane, good luck. Don't send another thing back in I can't hear back from you. Tim. I have this lovely book to put on my bookshelf. Now I'll read at least your intro, yes, and we'll see how I feel about that and see where I go from there. And I've had a lovely time with you.
Speaker 3: That was great.
Speaker 2: Thank you, real pleasure. Thank you for having me listener. The podcast is over. You obviously knew this was going to happen. Hopefully you did, otherwise you're really this is coming out of nowhere for you, and I don't know what to tell you. Get moving. I love you, goodbye, I said, No Gifts is an exactly right production. Our senior producer is on Alisa Nelson, and our episodes are beautifully mixed by Ben Tolliday. The theme song is by miracle Worker Amy Mann, and we couldn't do it without our booker, Patrick Cottner. You must follow the show on Instagram, and I said, No Gifts, that's where you're going to see pictures of all these one wonderful gifts I'm getting. And don't you want to see the gifts?
Speaker 1: And I invited you here thought, I made myself perfectly clear. When you're a guest in my home, you gotta come to me empty. And I said, no guests, you're our presences. Presents enough. I already had too much stuff, So how did you dare to survey me?