Speaker 1: Today's episode is powered by td Ameritrade. Every stroke counts on the scorecard and every penny counts in the market. That's why td Ameritrade is committed to straightforward pricing with no surprises, so you're free to swing with confidence. Visit tdomritrade dot com. Slash frieda Egg member SIPC, Welcome back to another edition of the Frida Egg Podcast. What a Sunday at the Masters. I was actually able to watch The Masters with Will Knights, who writes for The Friday Egg, as well as Fox play by play guy Shane Bacon. So Shane joined the podcast to break down a historic Sunday at Augusta. Thanks to Shane, and be sure to check out his podcast The Clubhouse when he posts his Master's recap with Joel Klatt. Without further ado, here is Shane Bacon on the twenty nineteen Masters.
Speaker 2: I miss the green for example, I'm already upset.
Speaker 3: When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my ball in a.
Speaker 2: Brid Egg Friday Egg, the dreaded Frida Egg, Frida Egg, Frida Egg, Frida Egg, Bride Egg Lie, I'm about ready to run off with them.
Speaker 3: Course, the moment's too big for me right now. I don't know what I'm doing here. Putn't the worst what happened.
Speaker 2: Today, Well, there's just I never I said this on Twitter when it finished up, But I never thought that he'd do it. I never thought to win. I mean, I really didn't think through all this stuff he would actually win a major championship, you know, And this was probably two years ago now, with what he went through last year, I said he could get in contention and possibly do it with this leaderboard. And the wild thing that I think is getting lost so much in this is how many of the best players in the world he had to beat on Sunday Kopka, Dustin mullanar. So you think the last three major champions he had to take down a guy that's probably playing the best golf in the world, a guy that is an absolute major killer and seems not to get nervous in Keopka, Dustin, Ricky, Jason Day, Xander. I mean, these are the this is the modern day golfing a list, and Tiger outsmarted him all day long. It felt there was a hoy Lake mentioned in the broadcast with where he was hitting the golf ball all day long and where he was putting it position wise on the greens, fair ways, even the threewoodine eighteen. I mean it was chess versus checkers. It was unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he didn't make birdie on three, but he hit that iron, laid back on three. It's he's the tactician. His iron play all week was so good.
Speaker 2: But you know, there's so much stuff gushing out. I think it's really hard to speak on what happened and Tiger winning fifteen and winning, you know, twenty two years after the last. And do you know how old the guy is that finished second to him in his first majories right now? Sixty nine years old, Broca, sixty nine years old. And you've got a guy in Xander that's twenty five. That's the difference in gap of guys that are literally backing up to Tiger. And this is the career I mean, for you going into this week. Tiger is a story, of course, but there's so many stories that get lost. This is the sports story of the year. I mean, this is it. This is twenty nineteen sports story. This is what we'll remember today.
Speaker 1: It's one of the biggest sports stories of all time. And that's that's the hardest thing to put into perspective, is you know where it.
Speaker 3: Does it fall?
Speaker 1: Like forget like this is the biggest Masters. You can't I mean, so ninety seven would be one that you could look at as like one you could compare. Eighty six is one you could compare. I don't know, you have to go back to like the first Masters to find the next one that you could compare.
Speaker 3: Really it.
Speaker 1: There's nothing else in sports you think about where we were putting tigers come back at the Tour winning the Tour championship last year, people were saying, this is the biggest sports story this year, and now he won the Masters. Something is so fitting that it was the Mats. If he was gonna win the first major win back and we can talk more later about what could be next, but first win major win after this, you know road that you can't even so much bad stuff, like so many moments where you thought he was never coming back, and for it to be the place where his first one happened is is just so fitting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's it really, it's it's kind of hard to speak on. I mean, there was a moment we're all watching it together here at the Pixby House. And and you know, when he got to eighteen and he finds the fairway I mentioned to you, you know if you go back to five the last time he won the Masters, and he hit that chip and he made it, and it was this unbelievable chip and it was one of the greatest shots in Master's history. And he was so amped that he bogied seventeen and eighteen and that's how he fell into that playoff that he eventually won. I think over to Marco, right, and he hits that shot on sixteen that we thought might go when it landed on the green, Andy, you were going right when it landed on the green, you go go in, Yeah, go in, And then we're all just going go in and it's rolling right past, obviously the cup and he knocks in the three footer, but it was just a it's a different tiger now. I mean, it really does seem like whatever energy he's got, whatever he mustered up at three forty five in the morning to prepare himself for nine am, and all these tea time shifting, it's like he understands how much energy his body has. These days, and he knows he can use this much on this hole, this much on seventeen, this much on eighteen. Don't get too hyphed, don't get too low. Let's let it play out. I was not nervous about the way he would close that thing out when he played the way he played on fifteen and sixteen, and even over shots like fifteen. I mean, he's two forty andy to one of the hardest greens in the world to hit in two, and it was a confident swing. It's the exact club he should hit, perfect distance control, hits it in the fat part of the right side of the green, and gives himself a perfect opportunity to put birdie. He doesn't need eagle, he just needed a birdie there. He knew he had a really good chance to build on that lead while all these other guys were doing all this stuff around him, and he just seemed to stay in this bubble that I'm only believed Tiger could do. I only think Ty's the guy that could handle that.
Speaker 1: That's what we saw, And the only guy that didn't happen to was Brooks. Where you see him push to the They pushed to the lead, They push out in front and then it's almost the moment becomes too big and they fall back. They start thinking ahead almost and Tiger his patience, which is maybe his greatest asset as a golfer of all time, is how patient he is, like ability to just sit in that moment and stalk it, like knowing that that that back.
Speaker 3: He took advantage.
Speaker 1: He took advantage of the holes he knew he could take advantage of. If you look at the back nine, the holes you take advantage of are thirteen, fifteen, sixteen easy birdies on.
Speaker 2: All three, all three easiest parties of the day.
Speaker 1: He just did what he knew he had to do, and he made the turn after the tenth hole.
Speaker 3: We were a little worried, right, but.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's just hitting the It was a tough day out there, and seventy. I mean, I wouldn't have thought seventy would have gotten it done with all those names, and it just shows the enormity of the moment and how hard it is to get done a masters that shot he hit on sixteen. I believe he hit that shot in the exact spot he wanted to, like the exact yardage and the exact spot because it was like, that's like the safe line where you know if you hit it right there, and it was like the fall line. We watched can't Ley hit a pot earlier in the day he missed the fall line. He was low, but he was hitting it right in that same area and I have to think he hit the ball within a three foot radius of where he was aiming there.
Speaker 3: It's cool.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's so many things that are cool when you compare. And this will happen throughout the next couple of days. Is that when you compare eighty six to nineteen is what you're gonna get. Youre can get a lot of comparisons. But for you know, Jack to flag it in eighty six there, you know, be right it is and he hits it to a couple of feet and for Tiger to do that in nineteen on the same whole, different whole location, but you know, flags it there and it was it was like you said, it was the perfect golf shot he shot on seventeen was a perfect golf shot exactly where he wanted to be, a whole high distance control. It just I mean, he was in control of his golf game. Is maybe he's been forever to shoot a solid round a golf. He didn't shoot sixty five, but he didn't need it. He shot seventy and that was the number he needed. And I mean it was we were silent, and I'm sure everybody listening was the same way. You know, he taps that put in on eighteen, He's celebrating with the guys, he's hugging Joey. They're going nuts. But I mean I almost thought for a moment that after he hugged his kids and his and his mom and everybody there that was his team, I thought, for a moment, you right run back out on the green like that's how pumped up he was. That's the most pumped up I've ever seen a golfer after a win. I can't think of another time somebody carried it. You see reactions, this pumps, high fives, hugs, you know, running and cheering with the crowd. But he kept that going for five minutes, six minutes, seven minutes, and he was he was just the the reality of the accomplishment for him. I think it's set into him the moment, it's set into everybody else too. I Mean, it was just I don't think I've ever seen a player react like that to a victory in their entire life.
Speaker 1: It touches on like the greatest stories have the great they have like the most you know, like we just went in like to the lull, like this would be if we were watching Requiem for a Dream and all of a sudden the guy that was like turned into the junkie became like the like the greatest human being in the world, Like Tiger was at the low of lows as we've ever seen a truly star athlete. And and that moment, like the celebration, that was everything coming out.
Speaker 3: I mean, that was.
Speaker 1: As a golf fan as as I'm sure you're the same way. We're about the same age. Tiger Woods was the reason I'm in golf right right now, you know, and that to see it done at.
Speaker 3: At Augusta, that this was the perfect place for it.
Speaker 2: Tap yeah, And I'm and I've said this on all platforms. I've never shied away from it. You know, I've written and talked and spoke with people and and just said, you know, this is I remember, I have a story, I have a moment. I was writing for Fox Sports at the time. This was kind of when I still would write a lot for the website and uh and Tiger had announced he was going to play in the Safeway. I think this was sixteen spent three years ago, and of course it was a lesser event, and uh and I jumped on a southwest flight and was headed up to Napa to cover Tiger because it was a comeback, right. I remember PGA Tour Live had had a broadcast team set up for the Safeway, which they don't do because of Tiger. Everybody was excited to see the comeback. Mid flight, on the playing Wi Fi, Tiger announced that he was withdrawing because he just didn't feel remember either, his game wasn't there, he didn't feel good. I'm mid flight to Napa to cover this, so I landed. I called my editor. I was like, what do you want me to do? And he's like, well, you gotta write something, you know, go write something. So I literally had a hotel room for the week. I drove. I just checked in for the night and I went down to like a wine bar that had Wi Fi. I opened my laptop and I wrote a piece and I think the headline was something to the effect of, you know, the old Tiger will never see the old Tiger Woods again. I mean that that person is gone, and and you know it's it was a thing that I think most people truly believed and for us, as quote unquote experts, analysts, whatever you want to call us, for us to see that guy in those pits. So you know, I had a couple of articles since me today that were Tiger saying he didn't think he'd play again. These articles were eighteen months ago, Andy, I mean eighteen months ago. This is a guy that's saying I'm not sure I'll ever get back to competitive golf. And to see what he's done the last year, and this being kind of the tip of it, this being the moment for Tiger Woods to see it on his face, to see it on our faces and our voices, the way we speak. I'll tell you I'm not envy the people that have to write this story. I mean, to sit in front of a laptop on a blank screen and going, I've got to put what just happened into words would be really, really difficult to do. It's a great moment to do it, but it's gonna be a hard story to write because it's there's just nothing really you can say to put it up on any higher of a pedestal than it already is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I remember I writing the Speef Collapse. There's one of like the next. It was really hard to write. I remember sitting or starting erasing, starting erasing, erasing, over and over and over again. And this is a similar moment where nothing you can write can possibly live up to what we just saw. And it's funny you bring up that safeway. I wrote something like that day too. It was October eleventh, twenty sixteen. This was supposed to be an uploading piece about Tiger Woods and has come back to the PGA Tour. But as I was in the final stages of editing, he announced he wouldn't be making his return to golf this week because my game, and this is his quote, my game is vulnerable and not where.
Speaker 3: It needs to be. And I mean this was.
Speaker 1: I think the year before he was at the Hero he couldn't walk, he was riding around in a cart. I mean then he had obviously the transgressions and the personal life stuff, and now I.
Speaker 3: Mean the I feel I do feel a little bit for Brooks, right.
Speaker 1: I think he was the guy that came down the stretch and I have to say he did something that no player in the Tiger generation did where he was stood the biggest Tiger roar maybe of all time, standing on the seventeenth tee when Tiger hit that shot on sixteen.
Speaker 3: I mean, he knew what just happened and he stood up there.
Speaker 1: I mean, he played the last two holes phenomenally. He had ten feet for birdie on each of them, like stones didn't make, the putts didn't go in, but it and then and then he gets asked about Tiger winning, and you know, he just loses the Masters. But that that will be the interesting thing, the fallout when you look forward to the past this we start to look at We've got Beth Page. In a month, We've got he'll be at the US Open a pebble. I mean, what an unbelievable primer for that, returning to the course that he won by you know, fifteen. Yeah, and it's what's the reaction in what's the future with this generation because he's playing really consistent golf.
Speaker 2: Yeah, number six in the world now I think he's jumped to I mean, this is I mean this this guy was five hundredth in the world, six hundredth in the world. Now he's one of the top, you know, and now he's And you and I were talking about it right when it ended. You said to me, could he get to number one in the world, And then you joked, he never finishes outside the top twenty. So I mean it's almost inevitable that as long as he's healthy, he's just can continue to go up this list. I mean, he won, of course, in a smaller field event that's a big event at the Tour Championship. Now he wins a major championship. Now the confidence, I really believe this. I think Carnusti was an enormous moment for Tiger last year. He got there, he had to share of the lead. You know, he was in contention on the back nine of an Open Championship on a tough golf course, and he felt it and tasted it and believed in himself. And I mean it's crazy to think Tiger needed to believe in himself. I think he did. I think he needed to see that happen. I need to be in a major situation and I need to see if I can win it. And he takes that confidence to the PGA Championship. He nearly wins there, and now all of a sudden, he's going, Okay, I can beat all these guys. If I get there this many times, I can win. It might take some help. Molinari helped him out a little bit today, and as we've said, he didn't shoot sixty five. He shot two under and that was good enough to win. You know, if Molinari shoots seventy sixty nine sixty eight, which was very much out on that golf course today, he's the Master's Champion. He didn't do that, but I just believe that that the self belief in tiger Woods, which was always the most important part of his game and the part of his game that really set him apart from everybody else, is now getting to that place where at these big events he's gonna believe they've got to beat me now. And you think about the venues, as you've said, coming up, we've got beth Page, which he's one on, and then we get to go to Pebble, which he's one on. You know, he's gonna go there and instead of just being a nicee Vegas favorite, I mean he's gonna be the favorite.
Speaker 1: He's got an open championship, which is great.
Speaker 2: For him, always great for him. The what you.
Speaker 1: Touched on with the Open last year, and it fits perfectly to what a tiger, an old tiger adage reps like he needed to be in the moment. He got a moment at Bell like there at Belle Reeve. We saw it when he was when he was coming on tour. It was almost like he was like learning to win again like he did, like you know, it didn't take him that long when he got on tour to win, but you saw what it was fiftieth at at at the GMO, and then he started all of a sudden just getting closer and closer, and he I think he finished third before the next week he wins in a playoff and then it's kind of a similar arc where he finishes. You know, he gets into majors last year and he has a couple scraggly finishes and then all of a sudden he's in it in the thick of it at the Open, in the thick of it at the at the PGA, and then sure enough knocks down the door and it could And one of the things that technology has done is obviously led to this youth movement, but it's also prolonged a lot of career, right, Like we're seeing VJ. And Davis Love play until they're fifty. I mean, Davis Love's fifty five right right, and he's playing, you know, he's making cuts on the tour. And Tiger Woods is a Davis Love. So if this fuse back, if the health is all there.
Speaker 2: Now we're talking seven, eight, nine, ten more years of this potentially. I mean, Brooks Koepka was asked after about Tiger getting to that jack number, and he says, I think we're a lot closer than it looks, you know. I mean, of course, now we're one step closer. But I think these guys see it. I mean, they believe it. I mean, how cool of the moment was it when he walks off after all the family stuff and it's getting pretty emotional. And if you're a fan of sport at all, no matter what your thoughts are on with Tiger Woods, if you're a fan of sports, that was an unbelievable moment, you know, you obviously get the correlation in the comparison to ninety seven and his dad and now it's his kids. He talked about it in Butler after and I'm sure he'll talk about it during his presser, probably going on right about now, we'll talk about that moment and thinking back to ninety seven versus twenty nineteen. But walking off that green and you've got all these PGA Tour players standing there saying what's up, giving them congrats. Koepka was there, and Justin Thomas is there. I mean, these are top ten players in the world, Bubba was there, Zach Johnson, Ricky, I mean, all these guys are standing there to congratulate him on getting there. Because the fan were all fans in some capacity. Sure, you want to win this if you're out there playing, but these guys were fans at one point in their lives. They were kids watching Tiger win. They were either rooting for Tiger or they maybe had a different favorite, but they believed in the greatness of Tiger Woods. And now they're out there playing the same golf course, playing in a major championship against him, and he finally comes out victorious after all the battle back that he's had to go through, and you see that in those players, and I think that's a very very cool thing to go through. And I'm trying to think, like what other athlete would land that sort of reception.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, there's no other sport that allows for this because of the career length of golf. And I think this is one of the magical things about golf is that the length of the career, the longer career, Like you saw it at the very end of Jordan's career, where like he played a year with Kobe, you know, or year or two, and then you had Ai, you know, the famous crossover where he crossed Jordan, and it was such a big deal because of how big of a fan he was.
Speaker 3: But no nobody.
Speaker 1: Ever gets to play the guy they grew up idolizing at that guy's best. And Tiger may never be at the same level he was in say two thousand, but he's really close to that level now, Like I mean, he's six in the world and I don't think he's even hit the qualified Like he still might be hurt by how few events he's played in, Like his ranking might be hurt by how little he's played.
Speaker 2: When did you think he was gonna win today?
Speaker 1: When Molinari rinsing it twelve at twelve was obviously that was the big but then it was anybody, you know, that really opened it up to the whole field because Molinari hadn't shown much, you know.
Speaker 2: Two bogies at that point all week. You know, that's it.
Speaker 1: I was most most nervous over that te shaw on twelve. I you know, full disclosure, I was rooting for Tiger.
Speaker 3: Today, Like.
Speaker 2: You're like, I'm gonna let you know what that was.
Speaker 1: Like, I mean, there may or may not, but we aren't in a media center. There may or may not have been a high five, right Molinari or incident. I like Mollinari a lot, but that that moment was when there was a hope.
Speaker 3: Fifteen was when you really were like, whoa sixteen? Obviously was sixteen?
Speaker 2: It was over right? I think so too. I mean I even with even with Kepka not making the put on eighteen, it just seemed like it was. It seemed that Tiger made five because he could have made five on eighteen. I mean, obviously, you know, only wins by one. But I think even if Kopka makes that putt for Birdie on eighteen, I think Tiger plays the second shot or the t shot maybe a little bit differently, knowing a four wins it not a five. I mean, of course, he basically pitches it up there to the fat part of the green with that third shot because he knew he just needed it. You know, I think about I look at this win about Tiger, and I just think about the last six months and things that have worked in his favor. He gets the win playing alongside Rory McRoy. Rory doesn't have a very good final round, Nobody really pushes him. He gets that victory at east Lake, and it's obviously just thirty players. I mean, that's twenty nine guys he's battling against. Doesn't obviously have a very good Ryder Cup, takes a break from the game, takes a decent amount of time away, never seems to be getting back into the Tiger that we saw win. Didn't play very good in Vegas, didn't play very good at the Hero World starting the season. He was fine, just not putting the ball very solidly. But you know, he loses in the match play coming into this before going into Sunday and having to play thirty six holes, because he would have had to play thirty six no matter what. I mean, he'd had to play the consolation match. If he wins against Beer Garden and it's you know, if he if he say he wins that match and he goes through a Sunday of thirty six holes and it's a grind and the weather, remember the weather was kind of tall. It just would have been one of those days to me that would have it would have felt like a week on tiger Wood's body. Him getting out of there early I think was a great thing for him coming into this week, you know, and then he gets a great break as well. Threesomes on Sunday means he's in the final group. Wouldn't have been in the final group.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have to think about that too.
Speaker 1: I mean, if it's Molinari, fe now, molt that was a big moment. I know Molinari took him down at at at the Open, but.
Speaker 3: It was a completely different Mollinary.
Speaker 1: He's never been a fifty four whole leader in a major to my knowledge, and he kind of all the attention with with that Open was like Ei, there's so many big names there where Molinari kind of and he wasn't as on the radar, you know, he didn't have to answer the questions after the after the round about who's the favorite, right, how's it going? To be like playing with Tiger like that's that's a big fascinating and he was Molinari wasn't molinariy in today? Even absolutely the front nine he kept it together so well, But that was not the Molinary that we've seen, you know, the first fifty four holes of the Masters, and you know, the last six months he was he was visibly shook. And what would that You never know what it would have been if it was regular to some Right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's fen now and Molinari in the final and then Tiger's chasing, and it's just it's afternoon, and you know, and the preps different, and you know, just the adaptability of Tiger Woods just continues to make me. His ability to adapt to all these types of situations. He gets in these moments, he hits the shots, he plays the game the way the golf course is playing that week. He doesn't bring his game and hope it adapts to the golf course. You know, he hit a lot of really quality golf shots today and they were smart, smart golf shots, and he outsmarted everybody else. And that's why he has a fifth green jacket. And you know it's you know, you're in Butler cabin and you're hearing him talk about the day and he can't talk about it. You know, Tiger can't speak of it. And Tiger's one of the most well spoken guys in all of golf, and he has nothing to say. It's just it's unreal, it's surreal. It's crazy. I think you can hear it in both of our voices where you're trying to put words to a moment that almost doesn't need words. You know, it's just looking at the image or the video or the celebration at the end, and you just got a smile and take your hat off and say congratulations, because you know that the way he was, the way he reacted to it was kind of all of us, you know. Finally, finally, finally he.
Speaker 1: So Hank Haney's book, The Big Miss. This was quintessential Tiger. There was no he was never even close to a big miss. Right, everybody else on that leaderboard was a big miss. Like Chaflet rinsed it, Molinari rinsed it, Koepka rinsed it, like all these guys. I mean, I didn't see enough of DJ you know, the day before Jason Day, hidden in the water on fifteen mixed double. Tiger really was the only guy and this is why he was. He's the greatest tactician ever to play golf, like, you know, just never he understands the bogies and you know he made a fair amount of bogey day, but he knows bogies don't hurt it, right. Doubles are the ones that you don't win majors with doubles. And you look at his scorecard, no double bogies for Tiger Woods. You look at at uh at DJ's card, you know, no double bogies. But he never had his like a game really, you know, like that's that's one. At Dustin Johnson, you probably look at and say, like, this guy.
Speaker 2: Did close again, Huh. Think about how many of these guys are close? Okay, outside of Tiger. If you look at this board. And I preach this a lot, everybody always uses lazy terms about guys when they get close to winning stuff and they go, they'll be here again. They'll have another chance. They'll win a Masters, they'll win the US Open, er, a PGA, they'll get one eventually. Dustin a shot back, Xander so Close, Brooks a chance now for another major title and again a chance at his first Masters, and then you keep going down. Molinari obviously was there. Tony Fenale had a chance in the final group again, was the final group at Chinnacok last year. You know, there are a lot of guys that had a chance today to add their name to that very very short list of young players that now have won the Masters, and they couldn't get a Do you think it is for these guys mentally the toughest major to win because they know a what comes with the win and b how hard it is to always be back here. I mean, you expect to always be back here. Of course, like a Dustin Johnson doesn't necessarily have to worry about that. But I mean, if you're Tony Fenow and you have a couple of bad years, you know you could not be in the Masters in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that you only have to look at like the comments that came from Ernie Elves this year right as to what happens when you're the guy that's there all the time and eventually and I think that's I think that's what we're seeing and out a little bit with Rory at this point, is that he you know, when he came out and he was a young kid, it was like, how many of these is he going to write? There's never been a player that's better fit for this. The guy loves to just hit that rip draw the tee. You know, nobody hits his effortlessly great draw t shot ever, maybe than Rory McElroy. And now all of a sudden, like it's more it's a surprising when he's in it at the Like last year, we were all amped because he was in it, and we've we've the last say seven or six years since what was a twenty eleven he's kind of just been a shadow. You know, he makes the cut, but you know, it's and I think that's what the tricky thing with this is when you miss a couple of times at Augusta, that's when you start strolling around the back nine with demons.
Speaker 2: And I mean it's just I think that I think it's the perfect storm of of you know, it's it's it's this big golf event that battles nothing else. You know, there's no other sports really. Of course, there's some early early season playoffs going on right now, but I mean, eyeballs are on this every single year. I think the long wait plays into it. I mean you go from the PGA Championship months in months and months and months and months of waiting until the Masters, because it's a major championship and it's the first of the year, and you've had some big events going into it, but of course this one is way way bigger than anything else on the schedule leading into it, and if you go through it. I mean Nicholas used to talk about it when I didn't. Nicholas used to say, when I didn't win the Masters, it bummed me out for the rest of the year, you know, and that you think about all the events that come after the Masters, I mean all these other major championships, huge events, you know, career changing types of things. And Jack said this would this would really bumb them out. So it's just when you look at this board after two or three days, or a week or two weeks or even next year, when we're like researching the twenty nineteen Masters, you'll probably forget how many of the one name guys Brooks, Dust and Rander, those guys Ricky were right there on Sunday with a decent chance to win this thing.
Speaker 1: Hey, I want to read this El's quote because it's it's it's just so when a thing stings you, it when a thing stings you, it keeps singing you. When it gives to you, it keeps on giving. I've seen that with Gary Player, I've seen that with Jack Nicholas. I've got a love hate relationship with the place. It was always almost like a curse to me. It was not a romantic deal.
Speaker 3: To me.
Speaker 1: It was a It was a fucking nightmare. And you start to wonder when you when you miss like or is this where we're going with some of these guys, Like I mean, like Ricky last year, this year, and so many other times, and like you said, you don't know if he's ever gonna get it done.
Speaker 3: He's right, Like, man, it'd be weird.
Speaker 1: With with his record at the Masters if Ricky Fowler is in that Lee Westwood Ernie Els type sphere where like when when he's forty forty two and no longer like forty five whatever that age is, and no longer based off his merits, Like you're the one who's saying like he should get an exemption in he should get an exemption in right, And And there's gonna be someone from this camp.
Speaker 3: Is it is it Ricky? Is it DJ?
Speaker 1: Is it Rory that's gonna fall into this thing? Sure? Because like it's all the great swint at the Masters except for a few.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean, Wiskoff never one should have won, Miller never won, should have won. Trevino of course didn't didn't play the golf course because it wasn't the golf course that he liked to play. But I mean that's the hole on his resume. You know, you talk about Ernie, David Devaul played well here in his prime a lot and came really really close even you know, I think about a lot that doesn't get talked about in this conversation is Goosen. No, Goosen nearly won the Masters a few times, and he played the golf course great, and now he looks back on it and goes, you know, I'm not I'm not gonna win the Masters, and I think it's a it's a big bummer. I talk about it a lot when I talk to some of the guys I work with, guys like Curtis who were so close to winning the Masters a few times, and you know, when they talk about it, it is it bums them out because you know it was it's a whole, it's that they'll never be able to fill. So it's crazy. You look at Ricky listen, Ricky since twenty fourteen the Masters T five, T twelve, missed the cut in sixteen, T eleven, two T nine. I mean, he is very much in the conversation every Sunday at August.
Speaker 1: It seems like yeah, and I think that's everybody says, like all you can ask for is to have a shot coming.
Speaker 3: Down the street.
Speaker 2: Tiger had the day get a shot on the back, and he was patient, very patient.
Speaker 3: That was the thing.
Speaker 1: He just didn't put himself in any situation where like if you're going to miss one way on eleven, you miss right right. He missed it blaster right, and sure enough he gets into the same pocket he was the day before, which is actually the best spot you can be on the golf ball. You know, it's in the trees. It used to be the ideal of place to be. But then same thing with twelve. He just hit it right into the middle of the green, which I think that's a hyperbology, like you know, not a hyper but like a misleading like, oh, just hit in the middle of the green. It's a lot harder than it looks, obviously, But then with thirteen, you know, he just hit hit a safe shot. I think we talked about that a lot. Here is like the safe shot into thirteen and I can't. I gotta go back. So you said one name company, you know, the one name leaderboard guys, and one guy you put on there, Xander, Xander underrated. He's he's getting close to the one name company.
Speaker 2: He's He's He's I think he's the most underrated guy in golf. I mean, I think he had a look today and yesterday that looked like he believed he could win this. It didn't seem like he And you know, he's such a he's such a nice, kind hearted kid that when he does the interviews after, I think it's easy it'd almost look past that in a way. But he seems like the type of player that relishes these types of moments and believes that when he's hitting it well, he's gonna have a real good chance. And I mean, you know, we we always forget about Brooks, always forget about Brooks, but Brooks is like that, and I feel like Xander's like almost like Brooks. Light, you know where he's got all the game in the world to do it, and he's continually getting closer and closer to and you know he's he's on a short list of mind that if you were gonna pick, if you were right now gonna pick who's gonna win the next three majors in twenty nineteen, and you had three names to choose from, I would be surprised if Xander wasn't on a lot of people's list that pay a lot of attention to golf.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had we had a we had a statistician on the Shotgun Start, Joe Peta.
Speaker 2: And he talked great, a great interview, talked.
Speaker 1: About clustering, like when you're close and so so Xander. He's a fascinating study because he's under hyped out of college. He went to San Diego State, you know, under hyped coming out of the web. He barely got his card at the US Open. He's locals in, locals through, sectionals in, and then he's right on the first pay of the liborg the first day, and all you're doing is sitting there waiting like when's this going to collapse?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Like when this guy's not going to be here on Sunday, T five at Aaron Hill's right right.
Speaker 3: Then then Open he's T. Twenty.
Speaker 1: But then next year, you know, first Masters he struggles, but then he goes T six at the US Open.
Speaker 3: Didn't think he was gonna be.
Speaker 1: Then on the Open Championship, he's standing on the seventy first hole, he's really the only guy that's got a shot, and he's got a baby crying in the back and you know, right behind him, and you're.
Speaker 2: Like, can you do anything about that?
Speaker 1: And if you went into that day, he was the guy that every nobody was picking Xander to win, but he was right there. And then this week, this again he hits a ball, he hits balling water day and he's still he finishes one back. It's just it's like what you said, you never know how many chances you're going to get, but you have to believe that he is going to win a major very very soon.
Speaker 2: What was the biggest surprise for you this week? I mean, outside of obviously the Tiger win, when you look at the twenty nineteen Masters right now, what surprised you the most, either be a positive or negative, Was anything really stand out to you that was really shocking from the week.
Speaker 3: Is it outside of a player hitting the.
Speaker 1: Ball with a practice because that was pretty shocking, or a guy falling down when he was the green?
Speaker 2: This this master's at at all?
Speaker 3: It?
Speaker 2: Did it? Did?
Speaker 3: I think? I?
Speaker 1: I I think it sticks. It's either speed or Rory. I think more so Rory. I think Spiek's in a in a funk right now, you know. And he finished T twenty one.
Speaker 2: He actually played pretty well after the second hole. Uh, after the second hole on Saturday he went on a run. Man. But but he just loves this place.
Speaker 1: But he lost it on on Thursday, right, oh for sure. And to a certain extent, Rory lost it on Thursday, which is not what you expected with Rory coming in.
Speaker 3: And and that's the that's the thing.
Speaker 1: And I don't want to, you know, but you start to look at the guy that you know, there's always one guy that doesn't get, that doesn't get the one you know chant there's always a hole. And that's that's the thing that's starting to kind of crystallize. I think, you know, Adam Scott's putter doesn't That can't be surprising. That's just you know, the way it's been his career. It's it's amazing how certain guys just fall into the into the role that you like grow to expect him, Like coucher T twelve, like never had a chance, but was just somehow there all the time. And that's like kind of his like Augusta. And if you look at Poulter, Poulter's kind of had a similar career at Augusta, Like he was there, but he wasn't really there, right, And that's I think the thing about Augusta is that there are certain players that will always be there.
Speaker 2: Right safe bets for top fifteen every single season. Go look at how Coocher's played the Masters the last ten years. It's it's unreal how he's always around the number he was today. You know, it's just where he sits. And it goes back to again to the guys that okay, so that's a theme, and then the guys that win are a theme. Tiger's a winner. He knows how to win. He's figured it out, doesn't matter the golf course, the situation, or the weather, or the tee time movement or anything like that. He's has this mentality his entire life that he can find a way to figure out how to be victorious. I think Kopka has that same type of mentality. He can figure out a way to win late. And then unfortunately there's guys that don't do that. You know, there's guys that don't that when they're close to winning the moment is too big. And you know, again I I don't fault any guys for that. You know, people are what's wrong, Why did this guy win more? Why can't he win?
Speaker 3: It's really hard.
Speaker 2: It's really hard to win. It's really hard to win the Masters. You know.
Speaker 3: I always like to say that winning's overrated.
Speaker 2: I'm the same, I'm in the same camp as you.
Speaker 1: But then like the guys that get in the moment and win, it's hard to say that's overrated, right because like there's something there and you know it's I was talking to somebody and they and they were described they were saying, oh, he doesn't he never had the sack to win, And there's something, you know, I don't. That's something there about winning, because like we saw today, like that Tiger coming down the stretch.
Speaker 3: And he even dj to a certain who wins a.
Speaker 2: Lot, ns wins all the time, wins way more than people think he does.
Speaker 1: But then when you look at him and majors, you just keep finding these like, how do you not win?
Speaker 2: She's like Tiger. Now, this is what's so wild about this. Tiger stopped so many legends from having these unbelievable careers. Ernie is the best example. Filled to a certain extent, VJ would have won more majors. Goosen again, Duvall. You know those are the names and you go outside of that. You know, DeMarco wins the Masters without Tiger there, and.
Speaker 3: Poddrick you're forgetting.
Speaker 2: Uh, Bob May, Bob May you know, you know all of those guys that Bob may kick out. But I mean, when you think about what Tiger did in the sense of halting careers, all these young guys now and I'm gonna throw DJ in the young category and he's only thirty four years old. But now Tiger has halted this generation potentially say he wins So right now, if I said one and a half majors for the rest of Tiger's career right now, is it is it irresponsible to say under now?
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 1: I said I think at the beginning of the year, I don't think I didn't think he would win another major. But then he did to this these guys, as we've talked more, he kind of he did to them. What the I So, if you take Tiger out of the mix, who wins today? And I don't think there's a question in my mind.
Speaker 3: Who wins?
Speaker 2: You're saying Brooksy, Yeah?
Speaker 3: Does he? He makes those putts on seventeen eighteen.
Speaker 2: Right, makes one of them. It's all they needed.
Speaker 3: I mean, you've called the last to us o rights. You've seen what Brooks does.
Speaker 2: He just hits golf shots and makes putts when he has to.
Speaker 1: And those putts on seventeen and eighteen were so reminiscent of last year at Shinney, coming down the stretch.
Speaker 2: Like and when he flew through that that one and at sixteen when nobody was getting it close to the hole and he makes that bad boy. Yeah, I mean he was just making it up and down on fourteen. Oh, unbelievable from what it.
Speaker 3: Was fifty yards short, dead down wind, like just an unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Similar like shots that hit into seventeen and eighteen where he hit it, same distance, same type of putt, not a ton of movement, and like I mean that one on seventeen.
Speaker 3: He gassed.
Speaker 2: He did gas yet like that that.
Speaker 1: Was actually an anxious putt.
Speaker 3: That's a putt you make.
Speaker 1: When when you're in the moment and you know you gotta make it, like the miss is either short right or too hard left, and that was he kind of had both of the misses, Like neither of those were really close to the hole right.
Speaker 2: But it's it's just it's so wild that. I mean again, you go back to ninety seven. I mean, nineteen ninety seven was so long ago, and Tiger wins his first Masters, in his first major, and he's upsetting from that point on. He's upsetting people over and over again that either would add to a legacy that was already impressive or would completely change their lives. And now it's twenty nineteen and he's doing something similar, you know, one of the biggest events in the entire year. It's just it's still wild. I mean, it's gonna take some time. You're gonna have a moment on like Wednesday, where you wake up from sleep and you're gonna go Tiger win the Masters on Sunday.
Speaker 1: I just had this visual pop in my head.
Speaker 2: I can't wait for this.
Speaker 1: Imagine if you put up like a slide show of the guys that Tiger beat ninety seven, and a slide show of the guys that he beat this and this masters, and and that shows the seismic impact that he's had on the game. So everybody, you know, Tiger completely revolutionized the game of golf and brought on this new generation of players. And without a question, I can say at this point, like in any Jack Nicholas supporter, he's the best player of all time because he created a whole new generation of golfers, a whole new era of golf, and just beat them all.
Speaker 2: Just beat them all and beat all the best U. I mean, you know, outside of Rory Rose and Speeth really being in the mix, JT was there a little bit, you know, Ricky and DJ and Kepken, all those guys. I'm gonna read you that. The leaderboard for ninety seven. You're ready for this, Yeah, all right? Tiger wins at eighteen under. Okay, second place, Tom Kite, third place, Tommy Toles, Tom Watson, Tommy So, Tommy Toles fired sixty. For a second, you were going to say, Tommy too clubs. Tommy Tolls third, Tom Watson.
Speaker 1: Fourth, he how old he was forty one in ninety one, so he had when Woozy won forty seven, forty seven year old Tom Watson.
Speaker 2: Roka and Paul Stankowski finished t fifth. Paul Stankowski couples longer, Justin Leonard Davis love the third, and Jeff Sluman round out the top ten. Compare that, as you said to the leaderboard of the top ten in twenty and nineteen.
Speaker 1: It's you know what I love about this too, is that you know, he went through so many times where he was rebuilding a swing with so and so so and so high name instructor, Like this comeback He's done all himself, Like he just finally in a way, it was a return to like and the celebration was really similar, like the emotions in the ninety seven and this one and and both of them were so emotional because he did it all himself.
Speaker 3: Like there are moments where you were like, yeah, he did.
Speaker 1: You know, he got here because of him, not because of anyone else. And I think that's one of the things that happened to Tigers. He got you get big, and there's so many you know, hanger ons like types and and these this win with the other one were because of so much of their own you know, his own time, all of you know, it was ninety seven was an underdog story, and this was an underdog story.
Speaker 2: You know. I mentioned this to you guys during the coverage on Sunday of the final round is and I mentioned a little bit of it early about energy. But you know, Tiger is obviously a veteran now and mature in a scene all of it. He's seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. He never one time today changed his demeanor, never up, never down, No fist pumps. Can you was there one fist pump? I don't think there was. I don't think he made if you okay, was there a putt? He made a distance today that really mattered because a lot of the birdies were two putts are tapins.
Speaker 3: That's the thing. Like he did it.
Speaker 1: That's the other scary thing about this. He did it without his a game right like he was. He didn't drive the ball great, which is this is the.
Speaker 3: Place where he can do that and get away with it.
Speaker 1: And he didn't putt great like he He left a lot out there early in the week, and then on yesterday he putted really well on Saturday, but today there there.
Speaker 3: Were no fist pump moments none.
Speaker 2: I mean, he made he made a great putt on eight, but he didn't fist pump. That was when he hit that three wood and he chopped it over the back and he had that great up and in there, and it was one of those moments that seemed like at the time, must make had to make it to stay with Molinari. Mollinari made Birdie as well. You know, he obviously flags it on seven and makes that good up and in an eight, and that putt was of distance probably twelve to twenteen feet something like that. Other than that Birdie's go what about that two putt on nine? That was great, That was an That was maybe the best shot he hit all day.
Speaker 3: That that's the shot that will get forgotten.
Speaker 2: The putt from all the way to the top of the green when he had the mudball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that that's where. But then you know, he made the bogey on ten, which was felt like a killer. But yeah, that the eight, the putt on eight and the put on nine were the two pivotal moments.
Speaker 2: You know, it was you're you know, I hadn't thought about this yet and you made a great point. It wasn't his greatest stuff now. I mean, you know, we're what thirty minutes into talking about this, and it was never It wasn't It wasn't a flag fest. It was a smart shot fest, you know. It was it was putting the ball in smart positions, as you mentioned, to avoid doubles. And when you look across the day, it is it is wild to think that, you know. I mean, he didn't make birdie on two, he bertie two once this week. You know, he plays eight one under this week. You know, the front nine was never great. He bogied five all four days. Obviously, the new t at five, bogue on five all four days this week. You know, he makes the turn and makes that bogey on ten, and it was kind of a it was a sloppy T shot and obviously had to kind of punch out and then kind of just a sloppy T shot on eleven, and he didn't necessarily flag it on twelve. I mean, you know, we talked about the safe shots. Of course that happens when both guys you're playing with hit in the water. But he had to make a lengthy putt there to save par at twelve, another shot that'll probably get forgotten. It's kind of like the lag on nine. But it was just there were so many round savers today and then he turned it on when he needed to on the holes that you talked about, and you talked I know, people don't hear Jeff ogilvi much. You've talked with Jeff Ogilvie at length about this golf course and the holes you can take advantage of, and Ogilvie was spot on. You can take advantage of thirteen, obviously, you can take advantage of fifteen. Obviously, whole location on sixteen on Sunday is a birdie flag and you better make a two. I was trying to think about this, and I mean, I'm sure if I looked back, I could probably count the number of guys. I would like to know over the last ten years how many guys birdied sixteen on Sunday and went on to win, because I bet it is high. Cabrera did it, will it? Did it? I'm i Sergio did it right?
Speaker 1: No, he had he had like a four foot or that nasty fore foot slider. He didn't make it, but he hit really close, like it's almost it's indicative if he you know what it is is that's that shot and it's not overly hard, but if you have if you're feeling the nerves, that's the shot that you're gonna fan. Right, And we saw it like can't lay got into the lead like and that's like almost it's almost an indicator indicator if you're in the lead and you get to that tee and you that's the shot.
Speaker 2: You can't head. Yeah you can't bail.
Speaker 3: Out, Yeah you can't. You have to.
Speaker 2: Ina did it too. He kept ga bailed out. For a guy that that seems to always have those shots, he hit that little fanny one.
Speaker 3: And he was like about eighteen inches.
Speaker 2: I know, but still you know what I'm saying. I mean his ball and Tiger's ball were probably two feet for each other.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 1: They probably landed two feet apart, right, And that's like that's the beauty of the golf course though, is that the line is so thin. And this week wasn't the best week for Augusta National with how soft and how much rain they got, like there wasn't as much fire.
Speaker 3: But on Sunday with the wind, that wind gave it.
Speaker 1: That little extra thing to make it special where we finally saw like we had been missing the the the back half of the line where like disaster, and we saw it with Molinari. Molinari like you know, had skirted disaster. But then he finally, you know, he got to you know, he fell apart. And I think Tiger and Sergio or Tiger and Jordan, two great Masters players, they're like more of the tactician what you were talking about, like missing into the right spot, not taking on too much risk. And then you have the other end of the spectrum of great Masters players that are like the daring. You have the phills right who like the course asked him to always take on the shot and they win because they pull off the most miraculous shots of all time.
Speaker 3: And there's and that's.
Speaker 1: What the beauty of the whole event is is that there's so many ways for people to win.
Speaker 2: Right, It's just it's it's crazy. I uh yeah, I mean, you know I asked you when I when I when you thought Tiger would win? And you said twelve. And what was your I think when the ball landed on the green on fifteen and where he hit it, the swing he made, I told Will he made that swing and I said, I said, God, he's swing looks so good, you know, And I mean I didn't. We didn't see the word it landed. It was just in they had the CBS had this great look. It was it was like face on of his swing and it was just that tiger swing. It was the power, but it looked effortless. You know. It was probably a five iron from two forty and just got through the ball and it looked like remember the Nike commercial where you were all black and it was the driver and it was the music. That is what that swing looked like on fifteen. And if if the if the if a storm would have blown over our house in Augusta, over the Bigsby House and the and the and the network would have cut out, I would have said, that's on the green. I'll bet you whatever I have in my wallet. I mean, that's how good the swing was before it landed. When that one landed on there, I was like, he's winning. I mean, I and again, uh, who's what's the quote about not going for eagle? Who said that? Hogan said it? You know, the amateur asked Hogan. I think it was thirteen or fifteen and he was playing really well and he lay up, right, he didn't. He didn't, he didn't, he didn't go for the green. He laid up and he said, you know, mister Hogan, why didn't you go for it? And he said, I didn't need eagle. You know, Birdie was fine. I felt like Tiger played like that today. I don't need eagle to win, but I'm gonna put it in this part of the green guarantee. I'm gonna two putt this for Birdie. His speed was great today too, by the way. I mean, he left a couple short, like twelve, but the one on nine thirteen was great, you know, fifteen, eighteen was great, eighteen was great. You know, just kind of trickle it down there, do you He wanted to make that for par but I mean, you know it's there's there's no stress, right.
Speaker 1: I think what you what you just hit on might be what we've been searching to say the whole time, is that the truly great champions have like the feel for the tournament.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he knew what number he needed almost, you know.
Speaker 1: And he didn't take on a risk that he didn't need to take on. And he knew it and that's where you see so many He didn't push it because he knew he didn't need to push it.
Speaker 3: Like, who knows if.
Speaker 1: He was two behind there, what we would have seen, right, Like, we probably would have seen him take the flag on.
Speaker 3: And that's.
Speaker 1: There's a feel and maybe that's what makes the winners and what makes the guys that that constantly come up shore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was, it was. It was a beautiful win. It was a beautiful seventy two whole victory, Like from whole one to eighteen on Sunday, it was like Tiger was painting his masterpiece, you know. I mean, it wasn't winning by fifteen, It wasn't winning by twelve. It was winning by one shot against the best new generation of golfers, and he used every shot he needed to. It was, it was, it was. It was perfection.
Speaker 3: You know. So he's eight under on the back line. It's not bad.
Speaker 2: Works it worked, yeah, Tiger woods Man. Yeah, twenty nineteen wins the Masters.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, I mean I could talk about this for hour, but any what are your parting parting thoughts? I think feel like we've been parting thoughting at the whole time.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I mean I just I mean, I I mean, you know this, this is gonna be the story that people are going to talk about for weeks and weeks and weeks, and it's gonna lead us into bed Page and the PGA and and of course Tiger's going to be talked about, and he's gonna go in with commnfidence and belief and you know it's it's gonna carry us through the twenty nineteen golf season at every event. This is going to be what we talk back on and touch back on all those things. I'm I'm bummed again for Rory, honestly, I mean, I just, I think even no matter what he says, no matter how he talks about this week, him leaving another year without a green jacket, I know it wears on him. I know it's a bummer. I know he'll think about it. He didn't really ever sniff anything this week in terms of playing well and winning. I'll feel a little bit for guys like Mulinari. I mean, who had one, you know, sleeve in the green jacket. It seemed like standing on twelve t and you know, Rinse sit there and then basically was never the same after that golf swing. But you know, there are a lot of storylines that'll be easily forgotten from this week. But I just I just I you know, from from the depths, man Tiger did it.
Speaker 1: If Tiger's on the eighteenth hole in the first round next year at the Masters and he's got like a two footer for sixty nine, does he miss it on purpose?
Speaker 2: Always in the first round? Seventy always takes it. I always say this, if you were on eighteen for Birdie and you'd made seventeen straight pars, like, I think I would want to miss it to have an eighteen straight par day, you know, as opposed to having one score better. Yeah, shoot seventy in the first round. Tiger his number, Yeah, I think four times right, four times in his five victories.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think with the guys that have the pressure on him, like you've got you've got Spieth looking for a Grand Slam, you've got Rory looking for a Grand Slam, you got Phil looking for a Grand Slam, this is actually like a great thing for them because the biggest story going into every major from now on is Jack's record. That's right, And that's a story a thing that I didn't think would be resurrected. That is resurrected and now is the biggest story, and you know, arguably sports is you know, this is like a I don't think that record will ever be touched by anybody other than Tiger, like especially with the new generation of golfers. And it should take the pressure a little bit off those guys in those big events because it's not what everybody's asking about.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine if he ticks off the PGA? Can you imagine if he wins Beth Page and goes into Pebble too straight majors?
Speaker 3: Are we talking to Grand Slam?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, could could you imagine if he did it? Though? What if he wins the PGA Championship in a month and now has two straight majors going to Pebble Beach.
Speaker 1: If he just if he ties Jack this year? I don't know if I'm ready for that.
Speaker 2: I just I don't know what to believe anymore in golf. I I am so okay, how about this? Now? We have a chance. For now, we got a chance for Tiger to win the Masters. We got a chance to have Speace the Grand Slam, Philam take the Grand Slam in a row all in and these are legitimate things that could happen. I think Speed could play well at Beth Page if he started his driver a little better.
Speaker 1: Pebble could be better for Phil and Tiger.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be unbelievable.
Speaker 1: It's it's an interesting I think that that we got Beth Pages of young is gonna be a younger guys of course, right, especially with the PGA setup. Then we go to the the Open, I think that'll be that'll favor a little bit the older players, and then port Rush should be really anybody's game. It probably favors experience. This is a great year for the Vets.
Speaker 2: It's gonna it's gonna be great. Tommy Towles, maybe it did you like his chances of port Rush.
Speaker 1: Paul stankowskiak, I've gone.
Speaker 2: Stankowski told me a story one time about he was he did. He got interviewed and then the ninety seven Masters about Tiger like mid round, like during the week or something, and I can't remember what exactly he said, but it was it was something to the effect of, you know, it's he's not gonna keep this up, or you know it wasn't Curtis, you know where Curtis was saying, you know, you know, yeah good yeah, second when he said second sucks, you know, but it was something like he can't keep this great playoff or he can't keep doing this to the golf course. He's like he says, every time they run that one hour special about ninety seven, he's on it, you know, saying that he's like, oh god, I can't believe I said that. In the brisk conference, it was there.
Speaker 1: It was a it was like Monte Prix and post Uh playing with Tiger to the third round where he was, you know, he's gonna really feel it before and then after there's no human way, a human way possible that Tiger was does not win this turn.
Speaker 2: Five on Saturday, He's gonna be real nervous out There is this in sports when you look back historically at sports, will this whole Tiger thing the last let's say five eight years to this point winning the Masters in twenty nineteen, Will this rank up there in best sports stories across all platforms?
Speaker 1: So let's talk about about where this is. We're both sports hands so in terms of in terms of biggest moments, like miracle on ice is something that obviously pops in my head.
Speaker 2: And that and that was bigger than sports.
Speaker 3: That's a big yeah.
Speaker 2: So that was that's Trump's just a sports story.
Speaker 1: I don't think we've and I think we talked. I think we talked a ton about this when Tiger was down. Is that there was never a star athlete's fall from grace as fast and as severe as.
Speaker 3: What Tiger went through.
Speaker 1: And in a game that's so mental, it's hard to think of a moment like baseball. I don't think we have anything that comes close football.
Speaker 2: I mean you think about I think stuff like like Jackie Robinson's story is a is just a bigger what I always going to call it humanitarian or it's just a bigger story for a change in the world. Yeah, And it was an unbelievable moment that happened to be attached to sports, right, and sports was just part of the catalyst to push that through because it was just such a cool thing to see happen and it was just such a world changing event. This is I just feel like with Tiger, it's just more about the sport, right he was. I mean, he couldn't play golf, he couldn't play golf professionally, with the way he was playing. He was shooting numbers that if you were and I went and played on the PGA Tour and shot those numbers, we would be without a job in four or five six months. He couldn't hit chip shots, he couldn't hit driver in play, he couldn't play the game that he dominated.
Speaker 1: He was he was really he was embarrassed at every level that you can be embarrassed at to a certain extent.
Speaker 2: Right And now you see guy, they're channing Tiger Woods. The crowd at Augusta is chanting his name, he's walking by. It's unbelievable.
Speaker 3: He's the coolest guy.
Speaker 1: And as as I've gotten older, you kind of realize, you laugh, like, how you know, Tiger might not be that cool, but when he's on the field, when he's on the course, on our field, he's the coolest.
Speaker 3: Guy that's ever happened to golf ever.
Speaker 1: And David Devall said on Live from last night, and it was kind of like a precursor. And he's the guy that's seen it, he said, everybody's talking. You know, Brandal goes down as his stats and everything, and he's I'm going to look at something that nobody else is looking at his eyes and he said it's back like the clarity like and and that that was like.
Speaker 3: When I think I just thought about that.
Speaker 1: When I think about that, David Duvall might have been the only guy that really knew because he was the guy that stared down those eyes and and and he saw it it and he's one of the greatest champions of all time.
Speaker 2: It's just it. I mean, it will be one of the you know, the sports stories that we'll remember in our lifetime, you know, when we're when we're fifty and sixty five and seventy years old, if you know, if we have enough fix but we can get to that point, if we get there at seventy and seventy five and eighty, I mean, you'll remember twenty nineteen. You'll remember watching this win the way he did it, you know, extending all of everything he had in it to pull out the victory, the reaction, the emotion. It's just man, it's it's it was really cool to see. And I mean, you you know, the the love and the outpouring, the TV numbers, all that stuff is gonna it's just gonna help that because you know, this will be this will be what we remember from this season, and this will be what we might remember from Tiger's career. Really, I mean, this might be the moment that is one a in Tiger's career. Is he won the twenty nineteen Masters.
Speaker 3: I mean, it is got as.
Speaker 1: I don't want to I wasn't there in eighty six, right, but this is, you know, probably the golf moment of all time. And I think the lasting effect is that, like just like he did in ninety seven, this is the win. It's going to re energize golf because he a generation that never saw Tiger win. Watch Tiger win today, right, which.
Speaker 2: And again it's goes back to what I said when I said if you ranking important stories, I mean outside of stuff like miracle on ice and Jackie Robinson, and you put those stories one and two or one two and one or whatever however you want to list those types of things that were that were changing things for people for the rest of the rest of life. You know, when you look at this story, I mean, it's going to be in that top ten of of of sports stories. Is going to be Tiger winning this Masters today. I mean, it's just it's just so wild.
Speaker 1: To think and and you know, you'll probably have a great, great pod. Everybody should check out the clubhouse pod. You know who your guest's going to be.
Speaker 2: I think we're doing it with Joel Clad again. We're going to kind of do the recap this year over all the majors jowels, so I got to kind of prep for that. But yeah, I think he'll.
Speaker 1: Be great because he has so many I mean, I guess sports that's the thing that I really I think that's something that will have come out from you know, various people that have covered a lot of sports. Is where this thing ranks. And that'll be really cool. So everybody check out your your pot and what a great, great lead up for us.
Speaker 2: Oh can you believe this?
Speaker 1: It's just fun day. It was awesome, awesome. Glad you were over watching this and Glad we got to talk about it because it's, uh, this is it, this is this is as good as it guts