Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 2: Hey there, everybody, welcome to your morning run on this Monday, November eleventh, Veterans Day, when we stopp to honor those who have served in the US military.
Speaker 1: I'm Tjil and I'm Amy Robach. And for all the men and women out there who serve or who have served, we honor you. Thank you for your sacrifice, and thank you all for running with us. And on this morning's run, another assassination plot against the former President. Trump names a new borderzar and UN ambassador, plus all fifty states have now officially been called.
Speaker 2: Also on today's run, Republicans getting close to winning the House, saying goodbye to the man us who made us scared to say candy Man five times and twenty five down and eighteen monkeys to.
Speaker 1: Go, plus bitcoin sores Tesla worth a trillion a yell. Education now includes a course on Beyonce and wicked dolls aren't supposed to be this wicked. We begin our run this morning with another attempt on Donald Trump's life. Three people have now been charged in Iran backed murder plots, one of them specifically involving trying to assassinate President elect Trump.
Speaker 2: Now this is a murder for higher plot. Two people have been arrested, but the third is believed to be in Tehran right now. Boj says the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps asked Farhud Shakri is the name to kill Trump to avenge the twenty twenty death of the leader of Iran's elite force.
Speaker 1: Shakerri told the FBI that when he was instructed to assassinate Trump, he told the group it will cost a lot of money. Well, apparently the official from that group said this, We already have spent a lot of money, so money is not an issue, he said. He was asked also to surveil two Jewish American citizens here in New York City and was offered half a million dollars to murder either of them.
Speaker 2: US Attorney Damian Williams said that the charges against the three are message to Iran that it cannot continue to target citizens of the US and the President elect. He said, quite simply, this has to stop.
Speaker 1: All right. Next up on the run, we head to DC, where President Biden and President elect Trump will meet in person this week. The two will meet in the Offal Office at eleven am Eastern time. It happens on Wednesday. You remember Biden extended the customary invitation to Trump when he called him to congratulate him on his election win.
Speaker 2: However, Trump did not extend the same invitation back in twenty twenty, did not host Biden after that election. Again, that went against something that's been a long practice here in the United States. Trump spokesperson did say that Trump is looking forward to this meeting. So it's good to see, frankly, that things getting somewhat back to normal, at least customary, as we say, going to continue. You are run now with the President elect Trump. He continues going through a pile of resumes at his home in mar A Lago, trying to fill spots in his new administration. And we just got a word of two more key appointments.
Speaker 1: That's right. He is reportedly tapped Representative Elise Defhonic as UN ambassador. The New York Republican has been a solid Trump supporter, arguably a lawyer. She even voted against certifying some of Joe Biden's electoral votes in the twenty twenty election.
Speaker 2: Also, Trump announced over the weekend that Tom Homan will serve as his border zar. Homan is a former acting director of the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency. In making the announcement late yesterday, Trump said there was quote nobody better at policing and controlling our borders than Holman. And he also said he's going to be in charge of and I quote deportation of all illegal aliens back to their country of origin. Congratulations to Tom. I have no doubt he will do a fantastic and long awaited for job. He says that part at the end there, Trump about long awaited. He did nominate this guy back in his first administration, but he never got a Senate The governor got the Senate to act on it, so he was never actually officially in the role. But as a borders are it's not the same. He doesn't need Senate approval.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so these are confirmed. If Trump wants to put them there, that's exactly where they will be. All right. Next up on our run, we're going to head to Arizona, which was the only state left to be called in the presidential election. Well, now it is official. Trump won, and this puts the electoral college count at three twelve for Trump, two twenty six for Harris.
Speaker 2: So we won Arizona. It was the last state outstanding. But this isn't necessarily consequential at this point, but it is symbolic. With this win, Trump officially has swept all seven of those battleground states we were talking so much about before the election, including he's flipped back every state that Biden won in twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: And that is remarkable because in all the days and even weeks leading up to this election, we kept saying that all those swing states were too close to call, they were razor thin. Turns out none of that actually was true. We're also waiting to see who will have the majority in the House of Representatives. That's still being decided. About a dozen or so races are still outstanding, and as of Sunday, Republicans still needed to win five or so of those to retain their majority in the House. They have already secured a Republican majority in the Senate.
Speaker 2: And we'll continue with the election here on our run. At least some ripple effects from it after the election. Those effects have high dollar amounts attached to them. Tesla hits a trillion, Bitcoin hits eighty thousand, Tesla stock had a huge rally, pushing it back over the trillion dollar mark is what we've been seeing since the election.
Speaker 1: That's right. Investors believe, or at least they're betting that Trump's return to president will be a positive for us in Elon Musk's electric vehicle company, So it is once again among seven companies in the S and P five hundred to be valued at over a trillion dollars. It's been more than two and a half years since Tesla traded at that level.
Speaker 2: It went up twenty eight percent since Trump was elected. Now, another stock doing really well since Trump's re election has been Bitcoin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it hit another new record, posting above eighty thousand on Sunday. It's been rising steadily in the days following Tuesday's election. It's up eighty percent for the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Trump was once a bitcoin skeptic, but he has been talking about it in recent months and has embraced it, it seems, and he also has a financial stake in it. So in August, Trump said that cryptocurrencies could define the future and said he wanted mind minted and made in the USA. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just checked. It's now above eighty two thousand as of this recording, so it is still steadily rising.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll stay with us here on this veteran's day morning run. When we come back, we are grown folks, but this guy was so good he still has us scared to say candy man in the mirror. We do remember the man behind that.
Speaker 1: Meant welcome back everyone. Next up on our run, one of our favorite horror movie villains has passed away. It happened last week, but news broke over the weekend, and we're such huge fans of his we wanted to pay tribute to him. You know his face and his iconic, larger than life stature, but you may not know his name.
Speaker 2: His name is Tony Todd, and he has passed away at the age of sixty nine. And this is the guy to this day keeps us from saying candy man in the mirror as adults. We still won't do it because of how well he portrayed this character. But Tony Todd's management company said it best that he was known worldwide for his towering presence, but both physically and artistically, Tony leaves behind an indelible legacy of film theater in the hearts of those who had the honor of knowing him. We bid farewell to Tony Todd, a giant of cinema and a beloved soul who's impact on our lives and the world of film will never be forgotten.
Speaker 1: It's so true. I mean Todd played the original that was such a good movie nineteen ninety two, candy Man, and then again in the remake back in twenty twenty one. He was the urban legend killer who had a hook on one arm, could be summoned, yes, by saying his name five times in front of a mirror. To this day, I have never will never say it. Have you ever said it?
Speaker 2: I refused to whatever will the rest of my life never.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that may sound silly, but why why temed fate?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: He and you see his face every time you think about that movie. Oh my goodness, he did it so well well.
Speaker 2: Those who actually knew him personally say all this fear the rest of us have about him, He's actually, in real life was the opposite of that villain he say. He was a cherished mentor and friend and a beacon of kindness and wisdom. The way they put it. The actor Yahyah, who played candy Man in the remake, he was the main character we talked to him on the air once grown man, who plays the character in the remake, he still said he refused to do it on the air with us. He would not say Candy Man, even sitting there with us. It's it's wild how something like that can have such an impact. Forty seven years old, still his character, I refuse to do same.
Speaker 1: And you know what, getting to actually learn a little bit about Todd. We just knew him as Candy Man, but he's a theater trained actor. He earned his master's degree from Trudy, a repertory company. And I love what he said. He said, I didn't get my master's degree saying hey, I want to be a horror film star. He just wanted to be a good actor. But he said this, and this makes so much sense. Horror fans are the most ferocious fan base there is. That allows for a lot of personal appearances and celebrating a genre that sort of kicked to the side, but also passionately adored. And certainly that's a good way to describe his career, because he had a big career in horror films, not just Candy Man, but he was also in Final Destination franchise, Neither The Living Dead, The Crow Hatchet also one of our favorite TV shows twenty four. He was in that as well.
Speaker 2: He had this booming voice. I was never able to be around him. They say he was kind of a towering, a tall guy, but he had this booming voice. And he was in The Rock. Oh yeah, a horror move. But he played one of the bad guys in the Rock, alongside Sean Connery, alongside Ed Harris. But he was just one of the soldiers. But he still stood out every time he spoke. Yeah, he just had an incredible, incredible voice. In sixty nine is young. It's so young.
Speaker 1: I know he was six five, but yes, he had a commanding presence. And we're going to watch candy Man today.
Speaker 2: If we made the vleet traveled over the weekend on the plane, we say when we get back.
Speaker 1: We're watching candy Man. That is on the agenda today, all right, next up on our run, we also want to honor Judith Jamison, a legend and pioneer in the world of dance. She has passed away. She became an international star when she joined the famed Alvin Ailey Dance Company back in nineteen sixty five and was a rare sight in ballet. She was, of course a black dancer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she danced with Ali for fifteen years before leaving for other opportunities. But she returned to the dance company as artistic director, a role she held for some twenty years and is widely credited for guiding it through difficult times and ultimately making it more successful and popular than ever. She passed away here in New York afterwards, described as a brief illness eighty one years old. Everyone it does. You know Alvin Ailey. Everyone knows that name, and she is credited in large part in recent years having it stretching its popularity. And I don't know if you've ever been to the Center here in New York, but you walking in and just see these little kids, these little black boys and girls, and not all black boys and girls, but to see these little kids getting an opportunity and being in there and bouncing around based on a legacy that Alvin Alien and Judith Jamison put together, it is a really special place to go in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she certainly has left her market and will continue on all right. Next up on our run, we're going to head to South Carolina, where twenty five monkeys have finally been recovered after more than forty of them escaped from a research laboratory. We told you about this. It happened in the town of Yamassei last week. Well as of Saturday, just one had been found. I mean we were keeping up on this, We were keeping tabs on this. When you say you were doing it, okay, find it was me.
Speaker 2: You were doing the monkey count a weekend. Okay, they tose on Saturday they just found one. I was kind of rooting for the monkeys, so I was like, go guys. But then I got word that a sizeable group twenty four more or safely secured as well. For that total of twenty five, vets have been examining all the monkeys said they're in good health. Staff at the research laboratory where the monkey's escaped they work through the weekend to feed and keep an eye on the animals. We didn't really understand this. They said they had eyes on them, but they couldn't.
Speaker 1: They can't catch them. So they said the monkeys have been interacting with their companions inside the facility. I love this visual, apparently jumping back and forth over the facilities fence so they come say hi to their friends. Then they just go back in the wild and enjoy themselves. But offic she'll say that's a positive sign that they're they're coming back and forth. But still, folks, eighteen monkeys remain on the lamps.
Speaker 2: We're room for them. Do you get in trouble, Like if a monkey came to the door and you take it in, are you in trouble? Yeah, you're not supposed to see harboring a fugitive money probably, yes, Well, they have told folks in the area that actually, don't do that. You should not interact with these monkeys. But they say there's no physical or health threat, but to lock your doors and lock your windows. No threat, but lock your doors, lock you windows, and call nine one one. But nothing to worry out. They have said. Traps up around town and officials are using thermal technology to try to track down and get the rest of them. But there's just some part this the stories. Well, it's all fun and games until somebody gets hurt. Hopefully that's not the case, including a monkey.
Speaker 1: They claim they're small little gals who have are perfectly healthy and haven't been tested yet, so they're friendly. But yes, leave it to the officials to round them up.
Speaker 2: I have that right, you just said, but there these were all female monkeys.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, they're little girls too, Like they're small little things. Maybe that's why they're so hard to catch.
Speaker 2: Are so well organized as well.
Speaker 1: All right, next up on our run wickedly funny or just downright wicked. It's unclear right now who's responsible for a major marketing blunder at Mattel.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is what happened, and I'm sure somebody there is explaining, Well, what happened was Okay, the new Wicked movies coming out. If obviously you know about this thing. You've seen the promo that's been going on everywhere for months, seems like even years. They've been promoting this movie. So it's coming, but the Wicked dolls are going to come along with it to promote the movie. So the dolls have a problem. That's on the packaging, that's right.
Speaker 1: So on the packaging there's a website listed that's supposed to send you to the web page for the new Wicked movie.
Speaker 2: Well, could go wrong, everything's fine.
Speaker 1: But instead the URL printed on them takes you to a pornographic website. The special edition dolls were created in partnership with Universal pictures, and yes, it takes you to a site that requires users to be eighteen years or older to enter. Mattel was forced to release this statement.
Speaker 2: Over the weekend. It says they were made aware of a misprint on the packaging of the Mattel Wicked collection dolls, which intended to direct consumers to the official wickedmovie dot com landing page. We deeply regret this unfortunate error and are taking immediate action to remedy this. Parents are advised that the misprinted, incorrect website is not appropriate for our children. They're advising folks as well. If you you have this thing, you need to throw the packaging out. Obviously you need to do so. But can you explain I did read? I don't know if you want to explain, we don't need to give the other website. But how this could possibly happen?
Speaker 1: Uh No, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Well, it's not a matter of just a random so it's wickedmovie dot com. It is the right one, and they just changed that a little bit, and it ends up being if you leave something out of that UURL, it then becomes something that goes to this website. So it's not like some random person just put some www dot xx. I don't know whatever.
Speaker 1: Right, it was close, it was, it was close, very close.
Speaker 2: And it looked if you look at it, it does it looks innocent? Right? It doesn't look like it, especially if you have it talking about the Wicked movie. But yeah, one little mistake and a huge difference.
Speaker 1: I don't know if this is how they were alerted, but I laughed. In one of the write ups I saw it said that someone went to x and tweeted this, Hey, Mattel, whoever's responsible for your marketing packaging for the new official Wicked dolls have made a huge mistake.
Speaker 2: That's tough for something like that mass produced. How many eyeballs to look at this, to do something like that, and we can't. We laugh about it here and it's all funn and games and do your child. It's not going on a website and see something that I'm supposed to be seeing.
Speaker 1: Agreed, Agreed, all right for the final leg of our run. Beyonce one oh one. Beyonce has made the history books. Well, she's made a Yale class titled Beyonce Makes History Black Radical Tradition, History, culture, theory and Politics through Music.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's the course description that will go along with this new class. Beyonce's work is going to be put under a lens. It's going to examine black intellectual thought and activism. Students are going to analyze Beyonce's albums, performance, politics, and concert films. It's going to be taught by a writer in Black studies scholar who has planned this course for years. It's going to be the first time she is a devoted and entire lecture course to Beyonce's.
Speaker 1: Work, and this may be a first for Yale. But I found this very interesting. Apparently Beyonce courses have been a thing, or at least college courses for years now. Rutgers, the University of Illinois at Chicago, Cornell, University of Texas at San Antonio, California, Polytech State University in Arizona State University all have had Beyonce themed classes.
Speaker 2: Now, I've heard about these classes before, but I think the only one that came to mind initially was Taylor Swift. She's had or they have had Taylor Swift themed courses at several universities, including Harvard, Florida, Berkeley. But I was trying to think, I'm sure it's out there, but Taylor Swift's was the first one that came to mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they didn't have those kind of courses when I went to university.
Speaker 2: Anything I had.
Speaker 1: Mine was like yeah, like history, like just basic history. Yeah, I mean yeah, political economy, Like I can't think of anything that fun. But yes, by the way, also, we should congratulate Beyonce eleven Grammy nominations, Taylor got six, but a lot of folks in between. It seems like it's going to be a really fun Grammy Award show this year.
Speaker 2: And I'm aware. We are aware that Sabrina Carpenter was nominated for Grammy because she told us. You happen to be at a we'll get into that later. We happen to be at a Sabrina Carpenter concert in which she announced to the crowd that she just gotten several Grammy nominations as well. So we'll get into that later. But congratulations to everybody.
Speaker 1: Yes, and as we leave you, we would like you to consider this as you go about your day today on this Monday Veterans Day.
Speaker 2: Here is your quote. If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one. This was one you pulled out today from one of our favorite favorite.
Speaker 1: People, Dolly Parton. Yes but yeah, you know you're starting the week. If you're not liking how it's starting, then make a change right If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one. I love that from Dolly. We appreciate you, Dolly, and we appreciate you for listening to the Morning Run with us.
Speaker 2: I'm Amy Robots and I'm TJ. Holmes. Please enjoy the rest of your Veterans Day, and please take a moment to say thank you to event if you get a chance.
Speaker 1: M hm mhm.