Speaker 1: The following podcast is a dear media production.
Speaker 2: Big things happen when you're pretty, pretty bold, pretty clever, pretty strong. I'm Danielle Robe and each week my guests and I have conversations that put a new spin on pretty.
Speaker 3: This is pretty smart. Vulnerability What a loaded word nowadays? What is it? Really?
Speaker 2: Simply uncertainty, risk, and emotional exposure to show up and be seen even when there are no guarantees. It's a first date after a breakup or divorce. It's starting a business, taking responsibility of something we did wrong at work. It's being next to a loved one that's sick. It's our greatest measure of courage. And that's not a philosophy I made up. Researcher Brene Brown collected thirteen thousand pieces of data over twelve years and could not find a single incident or story of courage that wasn't completely underpinned by vulnerability. And that brings me to our guest today, Caroamo Brown Karamo. He's known as a TV host, one of Queer Eyes Fab five, an author and activist. To me, he's the most comfortably vulnerable person I've ever known. I met Karamo years ago and thought he had always been an old soul, but then I read his book and I was shocked. He's been through really heartbreaking moments, harrowing struggles with drugs, domestic violence, lack of self love, and he constantly talks about them all now openly with grace and even positivity. That kind of rawness seems both terrifying and liberating. So I'm dying to know how did he get to this place where he can so easily be pretty vulnerable. So, Karamo, there's this quote of yours that I love so much. You say, when people hear my story, my hope is always that they start to believe that the life they want is possible for them, because I'm living the life I've always dreamed. In our country, being from immigrant parents, growing up black in the South, coming out at sixteen years old, being a teen parent, you would assume that my life would amount to nothing, And here I stand today. So if I can do it, you can too. Gives me chills every time I read it, and I've read it I wrote it.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that, but it's real, though. You know, we can get these narratives in our head that the circumstances that have happened to us, are going to block us and stop us from having the life we deserve. And I literally realized maybe about twenty three that I had to throw all those narratives out, throw all of those statistics that you see on the news when they talk about teen parents, about immigrants, about gay people. I had to throw all of that out and say, what.
Speaker 4: Do I believe?
Speaker 1: What do I believe I'm going to get? What do I believe that I deserve? And then that's where you start to take small steps every day you start to ask for help, you just keep going. And that's why I constantly tell people, if I can make it through all those things you just said, trust me, you have the ability to get to where you deserve.
Speaker 2: So I've never known someone so comfortable with vulnerability. I'm kind of obsessed with how you've gone about healing and finding so much love for yourself. But I feel like I can't fully understand the growth without going back a little bit. Can we go all the way back to Florida? You grew up with Jamaican and Cuban parents. What was little Karamo like?
Speaker 1: He was? He was a bit shy, to be honest. He felt like he had to be an overachiever, and so that overachiever sort of countered the shyness because I was always like, okay, well I have to put myself out in this way because you know, having parents who are from another country who struggled to get here. It was like no, no, no, we got here, so you.
Speaker 4: Have to get a's, you have to be involved.
Speaker 1: It's all, you know, all that stuff. But it was like forcing against me being shy, and so I wish I was like the fun kid, but I was probably like the scared kid if I think back on it, truly, that was more of an introvert. Now I think back about it, I'm glad. You know, I love myself as a younger me. But I'm like, I wasn't that person who went out to a lot of parties or did it, like got invited to stuff. I had one best friend and that's who I spent the night over. You know, I wasn't like the uber cool kid.
Speaker 2: It's funny you say that, because anytime I've ever been with you, you are the life of the party.
Speaker 3: I cannot even imagine that. When did that shift for you?
Speaker 1: I think it shifted around high school, to be very honest with you because my parents got divorced when I was fifteen, and I moved to Florida from Texas to live with my father. And this school I went to is Marjorie Stowe in Douglas, which we all know from February fourteen, twenty seventeen, the school that was shot in Parkland, Florida. That was my school, and once I got there, it's predominantly white school. I walked in and I was six two and a half six street my same height, same bodybuild I have. Now I had a gold tee and so I walked into school and everybody was like, Oh my god, who's this, Like, you know, college guy walking ahead, you know what I mean. So all of a sudden, I felt like. I felt attractive. I felt cool because I had had a growth spurt bigger than everyone. I looked like a man, and so all the guys wanted to be friends, and all the girls thought I was cute, and I just, you know, I felt like and I think back when it shifted, I realized there was a power in me owning my self esteem growing. And I say that in that way because some people own it and it turns into an ego I owned it as Okay, this is something that I have that doesn't define me, but it's allowing me to break out of my shell and connect with other people. So I think it's shifted about them.
Speaker 2: I love that you talk about that, because my next question for you was how did your good looks play into your desire to be in the spotlight, because I feel like you've always sort of gone after this big life.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that. I know you thought I was fine. I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Have I never told you that.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: You gorgeous too, making me read you're the side.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, one of the things that I do think is unfair about our industry is that we I think it's unfair about the world. We give certain benefits to people who other people construe us attractive. And it's sad because I felt it on both sides to some degree. Where when I got into Hollywood, and I'm going to fast forward just a little bit, I remember them telling me immediately like, my nose is too big. I remember I went to a mallling agency and they were like, your nose is too big. You need to lighten up your skin. I had, Oh my gosh, Oh my gosh, I know you've heard this stuff too, Like we've been friends for a long time, and you know, I'm sure people have said like little slight shit to you about like your body or anything, and you you're a beautiful woman, but everyone has an opinion of what you should look like. And so because of that, I never had the opportunity to really fall into that space where I thought that I was the most attractive or beautiful person on any cast I've ever been on. I have never been considered the attractive one. And that's just the real of it, the real world never I'm talking about, And it's not me saying this is about like the press and what people and the fans say, Like even on Queer Eye.
Speaker 4: You know, I don't I don't care what I have on.
Speaker 1: I'm not the attractive one. On the past, people will say to me, you're the sweet one I want to get to know, You're the one I want to talk to. And I don't mind it because I'm not. I'm not someone who needs that type of validation. But I realize, yes.
Speaker 3: I am shot you're the hot one on Oh thank you.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it. I think I think I appreciate that, and I'll receive it. But I think that our hot one is hot, you know, And I think that when you and I think about it, we all have such beauty and I just wish that we could all, you know, see the beauty. But like you know, we have these lists People's most beautiful man, you know what I mean. It took years for someone you know, of color to get on it. It took years for I don't think we still had an Asian People's most Beautiful person yet, you know what I mean. These type of things are crazy to me because those standards can make you think that you're not attractive. And so I do try to understand the privilege that I have with being tall, with looking a certain way, but I don't let it get to me because I know it's so subjective and that tomorrow someone's going to look at me and be like, h he's not that, because I've had.
Speaker 4: That before, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you really do play so much importance in your soul. It like emanates when you walk.
Speaker 2: You don't lead with those beautiful eyes or those muscles, you lead with your soul.
Speaker 3: It's special.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you, love. I appreciate that. I try. I try.
Speaker 1: I ain't perfect girl, No one is.
Speaker 3: Did you have a desire for fame in high school?
Speaker 1: I did, If I can be honest with you, I had a desire of fame because when you grow up that lonely kid, when you grow up in a broken household, you think that fame is going to heal you. You think that fame is going to make the world see you and give you some sort of validation. And after being on MTV's Real World in two thousand and four, I quickly realized that fame doesn't heal those parts of you. That it's your job to heal the parts of you that you think are unworthy. It's your job to look at yourself in the mirror and know that the experiences that you went through are only going to make you stronger or lessons you needed, because fame.
Speaker 4: Won't do that for you, you know.
Speaker 1: Like I tell people now, I'm so blessed and thankful the career that I have. I work hard for it. But I'm not interested in fame. I'm interested in money. I don't say that like I'm interested in money and like how like some people are like money rules everything, not like that. I'm more so in it, like, Okay, this is a job. I want to get paid, and I want to be able to create generational wealth for my family, for my kids. I want to take us out of the cycle we've been in. You know, But I don't look for fame, because the minute you start putting yourself esteem on fame, baby, oh you know this, like, people will go on social media and tear you down. You know, people will tear you down immediately. And fame has a beautiful side and ugly side, and I don't want either of those sides. I just want to continue to work and keep doing what I can do that makes me happy and makes other people happy.
Speaker 3: To get to that point requires so much growth.
Speaker 2: Have you kind of figured out the piece of you that was hurting in high school?
Speaker 3: Have you been able to pinpoint.
Speaker 1: That, Oh my gosh, yes for me. And this is an exercise that I tell people to do all the time, is to really go back and use your notes, to use a journal and think about the moments in your childhood that made you sad, made you feel confused, that made you feel unsure about your place in the world. And we can all have we all have the power to reflect and when you reflect, you get so much clarity, and for me, I realized there was something very critical, which was I'm my father's only son, I have four sisters, I'm the baby. And my father used to tell me every single day, I was a champion. I was his world. He loved me. I was the most extraordinary person he had ever met. These are the things that my father would tell me every day. And then when I said, when I let him into my life and told him that I identify as gay, he stopped talking to me. And I realized, after work of reflection, you know, speaking to people being vulnerable, that that moment was so critical of my life that it caused me to not trust love. It caused me not to trust what people say about me. And so that desire to be famous that I had early on came from a need to fill that void of like, Okay, if I can become famous, then people will love me, and I can trust their love. And I realized immediately that what I was seeking was the same vapid validation that I've gotten from my father. I was seeking, you know, something that was flighty, that could just go away. And I had to realize that in that moment, that what I needed when I was that small kid and he stopped talking to me, What I needed in that moment was to look at myself and tell myself I still love me, and I didn't have the language to do that. I had. You know, we're in a space now where we talk about mental health and you know, self esteem and new way, But when I was in high school, we weren't talking like that. And so instead of turning into myself and saying I love me, I love me and practicing that every day, I practiced the opposite of saying you're not worthy of love, You're not going to get it, you can't trust people's love. And it affected every relationship I had. It affected how I moved through this world. And once I started to let that go and realize that him not loving me anymore didn't mean that I couldn't love myself more than things started to change. And so that was the critical moment for me.
Speaker 3: I wish I could hug little you. It was like, really.
Speaker 1: Sad, I wanted me to go back and hug little loss.
Speaker 2: I guess you're right, I wish I could hug little me too. Yeah, that's a good point. When I read your book. I was so shocked by some of the things that I didn't know about you. After knowing you for all these years, I didn't know that you were in an abusive relationship.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was, and I was the abuser.
Speaker 1: And I talk about it openly, in candidly because when people see me and they you know, they see me on television, people who know me, they think like, I'm you know, like all you know, like spiritual and always like whatever. And there was a time in my life that I wasn't. I was filled with so much anger in my in my household, my father beat my mother. You know, that was the reason they got divorced, because he was a cheat and he would hit her. And you know, one of the things my father used to say to me was don't ever hit a woman. But he was speaking to a young man, which first of all was contradictory because I'm watching his behavior. But he was also speaking to a young man who was dating men. So he's giving me this advice of like, don't hit women, But what about when there's two men in a relationship. How do I process that? And in my mind, not knowing any better, I processed it the same way most young men who subscribed to toxic Behaviors processed it. It was like, Okay, I can't hit a woman, but two men we can fight. And so anytime I had anger in a relationship where we weren't coming to some resolution, I got physical very quickly, because that's what we were taught on the playground, That's what I was taught on the football field. That's what I was always taught, which was to fight back. That makes me more of a man if you can stand up. And I got really abusive, and I remember the stopping point for me of wanting not wanting to be abusive anymore was I had just finished into a fight with my boyfriend. At that time, he was bleeding and I made him clean up the blood off the ground. And I say this not because I'm proud of this moment. It's because there was a Poe moment that I need to reflect on and hopefully the other people can learn from. Is he called the police, and I arrogantly waited at the door for the police because I knew the police hadn't been trained on how to deal with same sex couples, which is still true today. Most first responders don't know how to intervene in same sex couples. So if he was a woman, they would have taken me to jail. But because I was a man, these two police officers, both men, laughed it off and said, you two figure it out. And I remember I went back in the house and I looked at him and I saw my mom. I literally saw my mother's face, and not her face physically obviously, but like the way that she looked at my dad after he did this, like sort of like with sorrow and with sort of like pain and like and I just saw it and I ran to the room and I was like, you're him. You're becoming him. You're not knowing how to manage your feelings, You're becoming this man. And it was very hard for me. I got really depressed after that, and then I had to say to myself, I need to leave, because you know, sometimes when people in abusive relationships, we always put this onus on the person who's being abused of asking them why didn't you leave?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: And I had to. I realized that I had put sort of manipulated my boyfriend into feeling like this was okay behavior, that I had done so much damage to his self esteem that of course he wasn't going to leave. You know, I had made him feel inferior in so many ways, and I realized that I had to leave. I had to stop this behavior. I realized it was up to me to release him, to release myself of this behavior, to do the work. And that's that's when life got better. And luckily that stopped at twenty six for me, right before I became a father, because I couldn't imagine if I still had those anger issues when I became a dad, because I would have probably hit my children, and so it was a dark time. But also I talk about it now because I don't think we talk about domestic violence enough. We don't talk about enough with same sex couples. I think it needs to be discussed for I agree.
Speaker 2: And I hope you feel okay that I brought it up. I only brought it up honestly because.
Speaker 4: Oh oh no, I feel okay. I love that you brought it up.
Speaker 2: Bring it up with you you are, But I brought it up because of exactly what you said. I'm sort of in awe, especially after reading your book, as to how that person became this person. Yeah, it takes so much internal strength and self awareness and work. And I think anybody who's in real pain oftentimes feels like there is no out, there is no getting to the other side to it. So to hear you talk about it so candidly, I think is really inspiring.
Speaker 4: Thank you. I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: But you know, it's what you said before and what I love about you as well, because every time we have our little catchups, we're both vulnerable each other. And for me, what got me here was the first thing I had to realize is that I was in pain. I was in pain. I was hurting, and everything I did and every way I reacted was because I was hurting. Then I took an inventory of the people I love in my life and asked them to tell me candidly how they see me. And that's something that we don't do often because we don't want to hear people's opinions of us, you know, we especially if we think it's.
Speaker 4: Going to be bad.
Speaker 1: And so I literally went around to people and said, so, what do you see me as And people would be like, oh, you're you know, you're sweet, we love hanging around you, but you're you're a bit of an asshole. You're a bit of this. Really they want honest because I believe we all have our tribe that you can really take inventory from. That's going to be real with you, you know what I mean? Who will tell you what they see? You know. I wasn't asking people who I knew were fly by friends, you know. I was asking like my best friends of you know, fifteen years, sixteen years, eighteen years. I was asking my sister, I was asking. I asked, and I asked two of my ex boyfriends during that time. I was like, what was I like as a boyfriend, and you know, they just let me know. And I was like, oh my gosh, I'm writing down what they said, and I'm seeing consistence on the negative side and not enough on the positive side. And I realized that the negative was happening because I was in pain and I was trying to make people feel what I was feeling because I didn't how a process. And that took day after day of journey, you know. And I tell people all the time, the same way you can knock your self esteem down, because if you practice saying bad things to yourself every day, it's the same way you can change your life and just build your self esteem back up. You know, I had to say, Okay, I don't want to be this way. I reflect in the moment. It took a lot of daily work, but I was patient with myself and that was the key thing.
Speaker 2: So in that journey of self forgiveness, what was going on is like, what did you have to actually forgive? Because this manifested not just abusive relationships, but you dealt with a cocaine addiction. I it was really sad to read in two thousand and six you tried to take your own life. I mean like this got pretty dark. Yeah, what did you have to forgive?
Speaker 1: I first had to forgive myself for the things that I did wrong because I knew I did a lot of wrong and I had to forgive myself and that's hard for people to do. It's easier said than done. Yeah, as you end up still, you know, I call them cringe moments now where I'm in the in bed at nighttime in a memory will pop up my head and I'll cringe and be.
Speaker 4: Likeugh, did I really do that? Oh?
Speaker 1: You know, like and that still happens when those moments happened, where I cringe on something that I did in my past. I have to forgive myself and say, you know what you did it, you did you did it with the best knowledge that you had at that time. Oh my gosh, I love that. You know. It's like one of those things where it's just like I had to forgive myself in a moment. And then once I forgave myself, I had to then go and seek out help. And that at first was just reading online, you know, because I couldn't afford a therapist, right, you know, therapists are expensive as hell.
Speaker 4: And people forget that. You know, we throw around very.
Speaker 1: Easily like go see a therapist, but therapists costs money. And if you're basically struggling to get by or I've never had access to a therapist, you don't know how to get a therapist. And you know, I had to realize that, Okay, there was you know, counseling services, group services that were free or cheap that I could go to, and so I did that and the REA and that was the second step. Is because mostly time people on their journey of back and forgiveness and growth, they forget to forgive themselves or they go right to the people they hurt and try to get forgiveness there, and I realized early on that's wrong because if I come to you and say I wanted you to forgive me please for the bad I did, but I don't have the tools to show you what I've learned, and I don't have the tools to show you what I'm going to do to make up for this moment, then it's sort of it's very it's vapid. It's like okay, you know, like there's there's no depth in it. So I went and did the work first, and then once I had the skills and the tools, I then went to all these people and said, hey, I'm sorry. And I said I'm sorry without needing to rebuttal anything they said, which is also hard because a lot of times when you say sorry, people will say something and it's not what you experience, so you'll try to be like, well, that's not really how it was, instead of just saying I'm sorry, no buds. That journey as a start to heal me very quickly, forgiving myself, doing the work, and then asking others for forgiveness. And it wasn't until I got to that place of wanting to take my own life, and luckily I didn't succeed at it, because you know, when you're in those dark moments, you think there's nothing will get better. But I was so happy that I didn't succeed, so that way things could get better, that I could forgive. And I just hope if there's anyone listening right now who might be having any feelings about suicide or feeling like they can't forgive themselves, to know that there's resources. You know, I can drop you a couple of numbers that you can put in the link in the bio and just you know, people just know they're not alone and they'll get through it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And look how much light you've spread since then.
Speaker 1: I try, girl, I do travel, you do.
Speaker 2: So when we spoke about doing this interview, originally I was thinking pretty purposeful, pretty forgiveness, because I name them pretty something each episode, and after reading your book, I really would I wanted to name it pretty vulnerable because I saw this interview you did. I think it was an NPR host on stage. It was live, and you were so honest, and you said it with grace and positivity, and you were so honest that it made it like I had to confront myself, like it made me a little uncomfortable.
Speaker 4: Wow, I want to know what I've said.
Speaker 2: Then it was honestly, a lot of it was in your book, but you were able to just communicate and articulate your true feelings in a way that I think sometimes I only say, like in bed at night to myself, you know. And then I started reading more about vulnerability, and I realized that it feels like courage.
Speaker 3: In you but weakness in me. It's the first thing we want from other people and the last thing we're willing to give. And so when I hear you.
Speaker 4: Beautiful out of me, that's like, wow, that is gorgeous.
Speaker 3: We'll put the.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But it was like I had to overcome this initial panic to get to your magic.
Speaker 3: Have you ever had that feeling?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, yes, consistently, you know what I mean. I still had that feeling of sometimes when I'm about to go out, because this is the part about vulnerability is that it's frightening because our truth scares other people, and people judge our truth, and you want people just to be like no, no, no, listen, I get it. I see how vulnerable you are, but like to be rejected when you've been vulnerable is the worst feeling ever. It's like I let my guard down, I let you in, and you still rejected me, and then it's like I don't want to be vulnerable again. So yes, I've experienced that, you know, I've experienced that so many times. But what I try to help people understand when it comes to vulnerability, this is a saying that I heard a long time ago, and I just love it. Is that broken crayon still color And it's my way of saying. And what I've taken away from that saying is, you know, no matter how much I've been broken, how many things I've done that are bad, I still have the ability to color this world with bright, beautiful light. Vulnerability, you know, understanding because my brokenness or the things that broke me or I thought that were going to break me didn't stop me. It didn't stop me. And so it propels me to know that I still have the power and ability, until there's no breath in my body to continue to color this world in the way that I see fit that's going to make it more beautiful. But I do have those moments.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think it allows you to connect with people on a whole different level.
Speaker 3: Than amen.
Speaker 2: As I was reading more about vulnerability, Brene Brown obviously came up and she says that it's rooted in courage.
Speaker 1: M hm.
Speaker 2: So what is the most courageous know or the hardest boundary that you've had to put up?
Speaker 1: Ooh, first of all, shout out to Brene Brown. Love her to death. It's so funny. I still have never met Brene Brown and never worked with her, and I'm I keep trying to put that in the universe. I'm like, how is it that we are sitting in the same space and I've never met this lady who I admire so much?
Speaker 3: Oh my god? And how much would you love each I mean, she would love you.
Speaker 4: I love her to that.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to put that out for you.
Speaker 1: Maest, please please, please, let's manifest that together. I say, all three of us do like a brunch and lunch or brunch and talk or something.
Speaker 4: Fun.
Speaker 1: But the thing that I had to be most courageous throughout instead of boundary, when we have the five of us have group events. I can tell you they like Netflix. They does these events all the time, especially during amy seasons, or we do things and they'll line us up in our own little boots. And you know, Johnthan's line will always have people coming out with me and like, oh my gosh, touch my hair. You know, let's twirl, let's have fun. You know, Tanse line always has people saying like took out my fashion? Do you think my boyfriend looks good? And I will literally had the longest line no joke of people coming up to me and say, my grandfather just died. I don't know how to process it. I'm in abuseul relationship. I don't know what to do, like a long line of people crying and taking their stuff out. And for me, I learned how to understand my capacity of being able to give, and I'm not afraid of telling people that I'm not able to give today. So that was a boundary I learned a long time ago. Is saying that it's okay that to say I don't have the capacity it is and helping people to understand that that doesn't mean that I don't love you and I don't care for you. It means that I don't have the capacity to day. You know, I heard someone once say that, like, if you think of your brain as computer tabs that are open, you know, Internet tabs, that are open. You know, once you have forty tabs open, your Internet starts going slower. You don't have the ability that sometimes you just got to be like, nope, got too many tabs open. I can't today. And that is something I'm very comfortable with, and I want more people to be comfortable with, because we look at no as a dirty word, and no should never be a dirty word. No could be used to protect yourself and protect others, because if I try to give advice when I'm not in a healthy place, and all I'm doing is doing at the service to somebody who actually was seeking my advice and my expertise. But I think the most courageous boundary I've had to say to be honest with you would be with my father.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And I say that because as I became a father, I had to struggle with my father meeting my son, and I always was like, I don't want my father to ever put his negativity or anything onto my children to make my children feel like they had to choose between their father and their grandfather. And I I found the courage, you know, years ago to say to him, Hey, I will allow my children to be in your life. But if you ever say anything negative about me or the LGBT community, then I'm going to not allow you to see my children. This is my one thing. You can see them as long as you never try to disparage me or my community. And that was a hard thing because you know, it was like me setting a clear boundary with somebody who I'm, to be honest, a bit intimidated by, even though like as I get older, I'm still intimidated by him because I still feel like like that small child that can't speak back, that feels like he deserves his abuse.
Speaker 3: He's still your dad that never goes over exactly.
Speaker 1: And it's so weird because as I get I'm forty now, just fur forty last November, and I'm like, why am I still feeling this way about him? And you're right, this is your father. But when I told him that, because I was so confident and was so clear and what I expected and what I wanted. He has a relationship with my sons all these years, and not once has he ever disparaged me or said anything about the LGBT community in front of my kids. And because of them, they've been able to have a relationship. So they talked to Grandpa all the time, or that he calls them G Paul if they talked to g Pau all the time. And it feels good to know that my children have a relationship with him. That's healthier because I set a boundary with him to say this is not okay and you can't do that. And I think that was one of the most courageous moments of my life, because otherwise, if I didn't find that courage, I wouldn't have been able to do that and would have probably destroyed three generations of relationships versus just two.
Speaker 3: You set the framework for that. That's amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: In Kabbala, they believe that children choose their parents to teach them the lessons that they needed in this lifetime. And as I was reading your book, I kept thinking, Wow, Karama was chosen to be his father's son and it caused you so much pain.
Speaker 3: But I kind of believe that.
Speaker 4: Oh it's Kabala that believes that. I want to read up more on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll I'll send you a book because.
Speaker 1: How come I couldn't pick Barack Obama because I would have loved hid to you, my daddy, Like I don't know Baroxie like he'd have been dope as dad to have. I'm just saying, I mean, no one's perfect.
Speaker 2: It's true you could have gotten any internship, seriously, any.
Speaker 4: Like damn like. But yeah, I'm with that. I'm with that.
Speaker 1: I do believe the people that come in our lives, you know, are supposed to give us a lesson. You know, there is something special magical about children and parents that we don't fully understand, you know what I mean, Like this young person comes to you and grows in this woman's body and then is delivered to us, and we're's meant to guide it and we're meant to learn, and so I do believe there's something of that. So that's pretty awesome. I can't wait to research that more.
Speaker 2: You mentioned Queer Eye, and I was wondering what you felt was potentially misunderstood about your life publicly because there's so much out there, right, there's so much on the Internet and Instagram. Do you feel like your inner life fully matches the outer life online or is there a piece that is misunderstood?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, hell yeah girl, you know. I mean we're friends. I like to party and get down.
Speaker 1: I'm glad to tell we see.
Speaker 3: That with your Instagram. Yeah, videos, you let us in.
Speaker 1: I try to a little bit, but you know, I really people think all the time that I'm like, like, I'm always talking about like deep soul stuff and I do. And I love conversations about vulnerability. You know. We've had moments where we've just gotten deep and just like and I think that's so beautiful, like when friends can like really just go there. But then I also love when friends can just be like, girl, we just gonna cheers and have a lot of drinks and you know what I mean. And so I think that people.
Speaker 4: Don't get enough of that side, which is all right.
Speaker 1: You know, But I hope they just know that you can be balanced, you can do both. You can have fun, you can be spiritual as long as you're not hurting yourself or hurting other people.
Speaker 3: You really do turn up.
Speaker 4: I turn up, girl. I love the turn up. You turn up is the best thing ever for me.
Speaker 2: And you know how to set the scene of a party. You get catered, you do like you have it by the pool.
Speaker 3: It's all good.
Speaker 4: I try to. I try to.
Speaker 1: I try to always make sure there's enough food, drink. That's my that's the Caribbean.
Speaker 4: Side of me, my mother and me.
Speaker 1: That's like every there always has to be enough. Food has to be enough, drinks has to be enough. Everything. Yeah, I'm ready for I just got my first vaccine shot. I have my second one coming up in two weeks, and I'm thank you and I'm just I say that particularly because, first of all, there's so much distrust with African Americans and Latinos when it comes to vaccines. Rightfully so, because we've had issues in our country where we were experimented on. But in this particular time, I've done the research, and I'm just employing anyone who's African American or Latino or young who has apprehension to know I've done the research. Do your own research.
Speaker 4: It is safe.
Speaker 1: I'm not trying to, you know, turn this conversation into this, but I just want people to know to get vaccinated. I did it because I'm ready to get back out there and have a good time. And I said this all to say, the minute that everyone gets vaccinated in my circle, we are about to turn up, like you can imagine it. Okay, I'm just said you know that the day that that happens, I'm like everybody comes to the house. We are in the pool. We were gonna have a good time. Because I'm so dumb with COVID. I'm so dumb with quarantining. I say the.
Speaker 3: Same way it hit me a few weeks ago. I have done done.
Speaker 1: I am done. Like I was jealous of Texas for a second the other day, my sister's Texas, and when they said everything opened back up for like a good ten minutes, I was like, I'm so jealous. But you know, it was like that feeling of like, y'all get to go bowling again. I want to bowl, you know, like little pig.
Speaker 2: Even the stuff I didn't like to do, I want to do now because I just can't exactly.
Speaker 1: I have the same feeling. So so please everyone can take care of yourselves, and if you're able to get a vaccination, please go.
Speaker 3: So you know, I've never asked you this, but I looked up the dates.
Speaker 2: So February sixth, twenty eighteen, you wake up as Caramo, you make breakfast with your kids, you're in your house. February seventh, twenty eighteen, the day after you wake up, your Instagram shoots to a million followers and it's May.
Speaker 3: It was literal mayhem. I remember checking your Instagram and being like, holy.
Speaker 1: Shit, overnight, overnight, what the hell? Yeah, it was it was crazy.
Speaker 2: It was what and I saw it happen in real time. It was like two hundred thousand, three hundred thousand, one million. So what was it like to wake up twenty four hours later and have your life just be total mayhem?
Speaker 1: It was amazing because, as you and I know, I had been hustling a hosting career for years, just like you. We had been on every carpet, with every outlet we could do. We have been telling each other about job. We had been like talking about agents, and so it felt like, thank god, I never gave up, and here's this moment that is showing me you got to keep pushing because it can get even bigger than this. And so I loved it. It was it was amazing. I can't I wish that I you know that I could say, oh my gosh, I was scared or whatever. I was just like thankful because I've been in the trenches. And that's why I love speaking to you, is because we were in these trenches together, like constantly hustling, you know what I mean, And we're still hustling. I'm still hustling because people think that the minute you get on it's like, oh everything comes to you. You still have to hustle, you still have to keep finding opportunities. There is some thats that come along with it, but a lot of the stuff I still have to be like, hey, can I have a general meeting with this person? And I talked to this person, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you started companies like you're a self starter that doesn't just come from same Yeah.
Speaker 1: Completely, And that's something that people need to understand, is that you know, you have to be a self starter and you have to believe in yourself and try for yourself more because no one's going to work as hard for you as you. And that's just the real of it. And I thought for a second when I became when queer Ie blew up, that everything was going to start coming through me. I really did. I thought like, oh my gosh, all these things are going to start happening. And I realized they weren't. And I had to continue to like reintroduce myself to people, and I had to let go of my ego of saying, well, I'm too big to reintroduce myself to people. I was like, nope, I'm in another level now. And this is the way I saw it in my mind. It was like I was in one office building and the next door was a medium sized off the building, and I got promoted to that building. And now this building has thirty floors and I got to go through every thirty floors to make sure all these people know me because they didn't know what was going on in this small building. And I feel like I'm at floor twenty eight of the medium building and I'm like, Okay, I'm ready to go to the next building, but I know that once I get over there, I'm gonna have to reintroduce myself to every single person again, you know. And I don't have an ego about it. It makes me feel like this is what I'm doing because I love my job. I feel blessed. I'm so thankful. I'm humbled by it. So I walk in there with humility and like, let me keep doing the work and keep working hard and trying to strategize.
Speaker 2: And so is there something that you wish somebody would have told you before it all popped off?
Speaker 1: Ooh so much? Oh my gosh, Luckily, I already had the finances on check because you know, I already knew just being in Hollywood, like when you get your big checks, don't go buy you a car anything stupid, like hold onto your money. And luckily, because of that, like I've now set up financially for me and my kids. Is I'm very happy about. So that was one thing no one had to tell me. But I'm going to just tell other people. If you get something big, don't think that's your moment to start splurging. You can do something nice for yourself, but save I think the thing that I would tell someone to tell me is like, you know, your good intentions can be canceled, and you can be canceled. And you know, one of the things I hate is cancel culture. You and I have talked about this for I hate hate cancel culture.
Speaker 3: So you subscribe to call in which I love.
Speaker 1: Yes completely, Like let's let's have somebody come in. Let's talk about it, because what I know about cancel culture is that people who you cancel, they they're not taking away their money and they're just I see it all the time in Hollywood. They just go to another job and now they're not in the public eye, but they're still making money. You haven't really done any real damage. But I realized that my positive intentions can be construed as negative and me being hurtful. And that was the thing that that really affected me because for a while, you know, last year, I was like, I don't want to do anything positive anymore. I like literally got to this place where I was like, I don't want to do anything good anymore. Because if I'm going to get people to hit me up on my social media saying you're wrong, you're this, then what am I going to do? Why do I want to do this? I don't want to. I don't have to do this, So why do I want to? I'll give you an example because we're out of the thick of it. But while Trump was in office, I was very adamant as a Democrat that the only way we're going to see eye to eyes if we sort of reach out to people who have different views in US. And so I made it my mission of reaching out to different Republicans to say, hey, this is who I am, this is how I feel. I met with Karen Pence's chief of staff. You know, I said, Sean Spicer was a nice guy on Dancing with the Stars and try to talk to him. I met with so many Republicans, and every time I did it, people would just be like, You're an awful person, I hate you. How dare you? They threaten my kids? It was like and I was like, I was like, do you really think my black gay as with immigrant parents is trying to like hurt our community? Like do you really think I have some secret agenda of like wanting to hurt? But I'm like, I'm trying to go into these spaces where we normally don't get we don't get into, to try to change these minds and hearts.
Speaker 4: Will it work?
Speaker 1: Who knows? But every time a new headline came out that I was a trading size and I was a horrible person, it just made me be like, why do I want to do good?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You know, And I have a couple more of those situations that have happened where I'm just like, I'm trying to do the work the best I know how and maybe in ten years I'll be like, oh, there was a different approach.
Speaker 4: That I could have taken.
Speaker 1: But it feels bad when you put yourself out there because you have a spotlight. People attack you or hurt you for it, and I'm open to criticism. I'm open to hearing what people have to say, but it does hurt my heart sometimes when I'm like, I know my intentions, but if my intentions are good and the impact for someone else is negative, I understand where there. You know where they're coming from, But I don't ever see the impact being so negative that you'd want to threaten my kids. And so that's one of the things I would have told myself before, like watch out for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it feels so evil you can't even imagine it coming.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. The first time someone told my child in person that they wanted to kill them because I was their dad. And this happened in Philadelphia while we're shooting Querai in twenty nineteen. Literally, my son came home. This is my grown son came home crying because these guys had stopped him and said, oh, you're that f words son. We want to kill your dad or he wants to be a Republican now, will kill him and show him and all this stuff. And my son comes home crying, and I'm like, there's people really that dishes that will find my children. That's why I stop posting my kids so much until recently that my son was like, can we get on TikTok? And I was like cute. But I stopped posting them because.
Speaker 4: I was like, dude, okay, we can if you're fine.
Speaker 1: But I stopped posting because I was like, I don't want people to see you and know where you're at, and like, yeah, harass you.
Speaker 3: So anyway, Oh, my stomach dropped when you said that. That's horrible. Yeah, I'm so sorry that happened.
Speaker 1: Thank you of you know, but it's one of those things that I wish someone would have told me before that. You know, people can get bile, you know, and for every good person out there, there's always somebody who is hurting, who wants to you know, conflict plane and so I just, you know, just being smarter about watching out for that is what I've learned since this thing has taken off.
Speaker 3: It's interesting when you talk about hurt.
Speaker 2: I think about how you are the one that transforms people's lives on the show, and yet as a friend and a fan of yours, I've seen your life transform, and I'm wondering how you feel like Queer Eye transformed you.
Speaker 3: What gift has it given you?
Speaker 1: Queer eye allows me to believe that good, wholesome content is just as exciting as you know, like ratchet content. And I don't want to call it rapt because it sounds like I'm judging because I love ratchet reality shows.
Speaker 4: I love them.
Speaker 1: Give me a Bad Girls Club, give me a love and hip hop anytime I'm watching this, but I love them. But it really helped me to see, you know what, it's possible. Like my dream, the only dream that I have left in this business, there's only two, is just selling content and you know, having my own production company, which I've now done, and I'm going to be announcing two shows very soon that I've sold and that are going to be coming on air, and so you've got to kind of get a little bit exclusive there.
Speaker 3: But oh my god, Mule, that is so exciting.
Speaker 4: Thank you love.
Speaker 1: And then the second thing is I want to be a talk show host, and so I want my own daytime talk show and.
Speaker 3: Need the world that needs it. Since I have known you that like you are the millennial?
Speaker 1: Are you a millennial?
Speaker 3: You are a millennial, Oprah. There's no one else that has that gift. It has to it will happen. I know it will.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that and I received that.
Speaker 1: But what it's helped me Queer Eye, is that I realized in the content that I'm creating that I've sold and then hopefully with my talk show one day, is that it can be positive. And I love like when I talk about daytime TV, I love the Sally just Raphael's, I love News, I love these are old schools for anybody who's younger that don't know these are eighties. But I also love like the Maury's. I love these shows because you see real people and I believe that there's a way, Like recently, I've had the opportunity to guest hosts for Maury like a couple of different times, and you know, Maury does such a great job on his show, but he's given me a chance to go deeper and like to see the humanity in them and to like really have them have breakdown. Was of like why are you on here? And the first time Maury allowed me and this was real, I thought I was gonna get in trouble because I went on this man's show and I had this it was a paternity test I had the man who brought this woman on who he knew it was his baby, but he brought her on and embarrassed her, was calling her all keepnine. I was like, you need to apologize. You need to apologize for bringing her on national TV and embarrassing her, and then we need to go deeper and find out why you thought that was appropriate page Why did you think this was okay to do? Why do you think And I'm telling this to his guest. This is somebody who called.
Speaker 4: It his shone.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, these people are not inviting me back. But they had this cathartic cry and they were like wow, and we got to the heart of what was the reason. And I was like, if I could do that every week, every day, that'd be amazing. And so, you know, Queer Eye gave me that ability to believe that, yes, there's always a space for like the truth and the reality and the corb and where you don't have to judge, but you could really help my to grow and heal, you know. And so yeah, Queer I did that for me.
Speaker 2: It's cool to hear you say that, because I think shows like Maury had in the last like five years, maybe a connotation of exploitation a bit, and to shift that and to get to the root of the hurt would be amazing for that show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's what I've been doing, and that's why they keep bringing me back. I've just been like getting to the root of it of like let's really talk, you know, like let's really figure out what's going on. Because it's funny we see these we see individuals who call on these talk shows, and from my perspective, you can't always tie everything in a ribbon and a bow, but you can set people on the path to get real closure and real healing. I realize I know how to do that professionally and personally because I've lived it, and I've lived through most of the things you know that these people have been through. Like I think that's one of my greatest gifts, and that's why I'm so vulnerable, is because the more people know I've been through what they've been through, then the more they're willing to hear me and understand that they can make it through. You can't look at me and say, well, you don't know what it's like to have to be a team parent. You don't know what it's like to be a single parent. You don't know what it's like to have no money. You don't know what it's like to be on drugs. You don't know what it's like to be an abusive relationship. You don't know what it's still in the blank. I'm like, girl, Yes, I do lived it, been there and grown through it, and now it's time for you to do the same. And that's what I think my greatest gift is to this world right now. And it's only because of that vulnerability.
Speaker 3: Wow, that should be the stump speech. Can we make a teaser of that?
Speaker 2: That was so But you're right, the people that have been through the most have the most to give, and it's you're using it as a gift.
Speaker 1: Yeah, trying every single day.
Speaker 2: So I saw a pinch me moment before we went into lockdown. You were talking about how you met Oprah.
Speaker 3: Yes, was it everything you were hoping? Or was it? Was she a mere mortal?
Speaker 1: She was not a mere mortal, And I wish I could say she was. She floated, she floats to the room. She's beautiful, she's kind. But what humbled me? And I promise you one of my friends was with me when I met her the first time. I spent three hours crying in a corner because she came up to me and she said she knew my name already. She hugged me. I put a bit of it on my Instagram, like a video. She told me she was like. I had a shirt on and said Black Day gifted. She was there. She was like, oh my gosh. She was great and an actor. The whuha was finished. She turned to me and she was like, I've been watching you. What you're doing is great. You're next? And I was like, did Oprah to say I'm next?
Speaker 4: I don't even don't. I don't even know.
Speaker 1: She could have been talking about next to go eat, but in my mind I was like, she's telling me I'm next. Well, I know what you're saying. She was saying I was next. But I cried for three hours. I cried for three hours because it was such a validation. It was such validation from somebody I respect so much.
Speaker 3: And talk about that little kid being seen.
Speaker 1: Right, Oh my god, Oh my gosh, yes, I do.
Speaker 3: I think you're next. I believe that.
Speaker 4: Oh thank you.
Speaker 3: So I have some end rapid fires for you.
Speaker 4: I like it. Rapid fires.
Speaker 1: I will be as honest as I can do.
Speaker 3: Of course you're you, of course you will. Okay, this, I guess is not as rapid.
Speaker 2: But what is a lesson you learned in therapy that you wish everyone could have access to?
Speaker 1: Ooh, I tell people this all time. Comparison is the thief of joy. Comparison is the thief of joy. You keep looking at what other people have. You're forgetting what you already have. Don't compare your journey to other people's journey. Don't look at them and say why am I not married? Why? Why don't I have this? Why don't I have more money? Focus on you and be thankful what you have, and then take the steps every day to get to what you want and desire.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's go. The best part of being you right now, at the age.
Speaker 1: You're at, ooh, is that I have a lot of clarity. And I didn't have this clarity in my twenties. But I feel clear And that's such a beautiful feeling to wake up and feel clear about where I'm going. And it doesn't mean that every day I don't have challenges, but it means that I'm clear about how to handle the challenges. And to not let them get me down.
Speaker 2: How do you have the clarity and the same abs that you had when you were twenty It's like, it's not supposed to go.
Speaker 1: Like that quarantine. Oh please, I'm trying to get it down.
Speaker 3: Oh that does not exist for you.
Speaker 1: It got down for a little bit, but it came back.
Speaker 2: Okay, a book that shifted your perspective, something you think everybody should read.
Speaker 1: Oh, Jay shetties Think like a Monk? Really, Yes, he's a friend of mine, but I didn't buy his book because of that. I thought I just wanted to learn because he's really is someone who takes the time to really think about how you can be better in practical ways. Because I love people who are like self help, but a lot of them go with people's heads and I hate information that go with you. I need practical one, two, three, What do I do today? How do I start? How do I finish? You know all these things and Jay Shetty's book Think Like a Monk was extraordinary and giving me even new perspectives. So yeah, I would recommend that all day long.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're going to add that to the library. Thank you.
Speaker 2: A mentor or person that you've met on your journey that you think changed the trajectory of your life or made a real tremendous impact.
Speaker 1: Well, there's been a lot of those.
Speaker 3: I call those the angels.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of people, but I would tell you the one thing consists about all of them, as if they're all women. I think that women are the greater sex. Not to be a traitor to my gender, but I think they're the best. My strength, my vulnerability has always come from women guiding me. You know, I think that this world be a better place women were running it fully. And I'm not trying to say that all women are just perfect or anything, but I'm just like all of my mentors who have showed me how to be vulnerable, how to be kind but also be smart, be giving, have always been women. I'm the product of four sisters and my mom. Women have always been the best gift in my life and had been the best gift of this world. And so I just would say thank you to all women out there for you being you and for you putting up with the shit that you've dealt with and still coming out strong and loving and kind. And that's it. So women, all my mentors are women, right?
Speaker 2: So I do a pretty smart question and I picked one at random. I'm very excited at the one you got because you've been to a lot of great parties. What's the best party you've been to set the scene for us?
Speaker 1: Oh, the Vanity Fair Oscar Party. I've been now two years in a row. This would have been my third year, and when I tell you, it is amazing because you're literally standing next to some of like Hollywood's biggest stars and everyone is so comfortable. So I'm going to give you a story from last year. And it's funny because if my ex was here, he'd be screaming because he was there with me. But basically, I saw these people taking a photo. I was behind them and I was a little kiss like go I, and so I went behind them to sort of like crash the photo and I turned around. The person turned around and was like, oh my gosh, Karama, I love you. And I was like, I took a deep breath and it was Galdado, wonder Woman herself, and I was like, I was like, hi Gal. She was like, oh, Carmo, I love you. And I'm thinking I just was photobomming you. I didn't know who you were. I just went behind random people. And her husband was like, oh my gosh, she does love you, Caramo. She goes to sleep to your voice every night. I swear to god, I've never shared the story with anyone. And I was like, oh my gosh, thank you, Dal Just like the work that you're doing. I just really love it. And then next to her was Josh Dad and Josh was like, man, dude, I love you as well, like really, And I'm sitting here, I'm looking at this and I'm like, what the freaking fuck is Josh Dadd and Gal Galbado like saying they know me and they like me, and I was just like, it was mind blowing.
Speaker 2: But those are two really heartfelt actors. So it's because I feel like real recognize real. It was the law of attraction.
Speaker 1: It was the law of attraction.
Speaker 4: It was also the law of me being tipsy and me and super and nupty like you know whatever, but it was.
Speaker 1: It was amazing. And in that party I'm talking about, You're just coming across like mel Street, like you know, like Michael B. Jordan and we're just all hanging and talking. And for me, even when I'm in those situations. I still feel like the little gay boy in Texas that was shy and I just had to fight through it because I'm like, this may never happen again, so enjoy this moment. But Vandy Fair Party is the most exciting party I've ever been to in my life. The drinks are free, the food is free, and the people are just kind and beautiful.
Speaker 2: It sounds like it's one of the few that is even better irl than on Instagram.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, it's so much better in real life.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Okay, because on Instagram and look, you see people still, but like when you're there, people are just dancing and having the best time, and you be in like a dance circle, and all of a sudden you'll be like, oh, I'm in a dance circle with Melissa McCarthy. I was literally in a dance like battle with Melissa McCarthy and her husband the year that they wore tracksuits to the Bandy Fairpark.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I would say to see that video me.
Speaker 1: Too, I'm like, I just wish we were dancing and it was like crazy that You're like, what in the world. But anyway, that's when you.
Speaker 3: Need like a secret personal photographer following you around all night.
Speaker 4: Right, you do?
Speaker 1: You do?
Speaker 3: Okay, This is.
Speaker 2: The last question and you can take it however, like for whatever comes up first.
Speaker 3: What's the smartest decision you've ever made?
Speaker 1: Smart decision I ever made was to bet on myself because betting on myself for me meant then I trust that I had the ability to do what's going to be right myself, to never give up, to ask for help, to make a plan, you know, to bet on me because I think a lot of times we don't bet on ourselves, because we've been so broken down by what the world has done to us. And when you truly bet on yourself and you believe in yourself, the world opens up. And I've seen it happen to me, I've seen it happen to other people. So yeah, betting all myself.
Speaker 2: I love you so much. You are as beautiful on the inside as you are on the outside.
Speaker 3: It's very rare.
Speaker 1: I love you too, and the same goes to you. I really do appreciate you having me on your podcast.
Speaker 5: Talk to you soon, babe, I'll talk to you.
Speaker 3: Good day, all right, Today is a good day to have a good day. I'll see you next week,