Speaker 1: I'm happy for Regid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we are in UCLA's team meeting room.
Speaker 3: Look at this place, man.
Speaker 2: Look nice seats, a little comfy, sit down, listen to Coat, watch some nice film.
Speaker 3: Man. This thing is nice.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: The acoustics are good, the sound is good.
Speaker 2: And then and then look what you get a chance nice practice field in the background. This is Los Angeles, baby, you can't beat it. And now we are joined by head coach of the UCLA Bruins, UCLA brewin legend, one of the best running backs to ever play here, Deshaun foster Man.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the show man.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me appreciate you.
Speaker 2: First of all, congratulations head coat, head of UCLA. So when you were playing here at UCLA, could you have ever imagined that you would be the head coach at UCLA.
Speaker 1: No, that wasn't a dream of mine, not until after I retired and everything. But you know, it's just so soorreal being able to be the head coach here at the university that I played at. A lot of blood sweating tears out there on that field, and you know, to be able to come back full circle, it was pretty amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So you were here under Tip Kelly you leave, take a job in the NFL, and then what February twelfth, twenty twenty four, you're the head coach.
Speaker 3: Tell me about that time in between.
Speaker 1: It was a good three days. Didn't really move to Vegas, didn't didn't leave the city yet. Yeah, that was Super Bowl Sunday, okay. And then after Super Bowl Martin called me and I went over to his house and he offered me a job. So it was it was a world wind, you know. But I'm excited about it, you know, great opportunity and I'm just ready to get out there and play some ball.
Speaker 2: So how important is it to you being that you played at UCLA? You like you said, blood, sweat and tears in the Rolls bowl on the field, at practice in the building. How important is it to you to return UCLA to greatness?
Speaker 1: It's a lot, because you know, I'm invested in this. I'm a brewing through and through, and it's just something that I want to see the school get back to just where we were at, just the type of ball that we were playing, you know, get back to and just the top of we were top of the pack at that time, and you know, hopefully we can do the same as a big.
Speaker 2: Too, and what things need to be done at UCLA now to return UCLA to where you want it to be.
Speaker 1: Just exposure, getting it just getting the brand out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, people know about UCLA, but they haven't been over here and really felted or seen it or just really been a part of it. So I just want to make it open so everybody can come out here and then just let them feel what we really have to offer, because I don't think you can get a true feel about us unless you come out to practice and feel the energy and just feel the vibe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's one thing that I feel like is different now, is that there is an energy surrounding UCLA. Like, what are some of the things that you're doing to kind of create that energy, not just within your own team, but in the community, the recruiting space and everything else.
Speaker 1: Just trying to hit the ground running, getting as much exposure as I can, getting recruits over here multiple times, the coaches also donors, you know, just I want everybody to really feel UCLA and and see how much of a family we are. You know, UCLA has been taking care of me since ninety eight. You know, it's a long time. Yeah, so it's this is a true you know, it's a true forty year plan that UCLA has and I'm just glad that I can actually show people and I'm the walking blueprint of it.
Speaker 2: And you have obviously the landscape of college football has changed since I came home my recruiting trip with your your last year there, and like there's ni L, there is you know, the transfer for a portal. You as a you know, as a first year head coach, what's your plan to deal with n I L.
Speaker 1: First of all, just you gotta you gotta embrace it. It's something that's not going anywhere, So you gotta embrace it. You gotta get the donors and everybody up to speed so they understand exactly what this is. And then you gotta have a plan. You know, you can't just go in there and just trying to throw money at everybody. You have to have a plan, and you have to market the program and you have to have a plan into letting them know exactly what we have to offer in that space.
Speaker 3: And so how do you react now? Right? Because it's public knowledge.
Speaker 2: You you had a little controversy when when when you were in school that would be called nil now or something like that. Do you look back at it now and just like Reggie Bush does's like, come on, come on, man, this is I.
Speaker 1: Mean, it is what it is. But you know it's I'm just glad that it's come full circle and players and athletes are being compensated for what they're doing, you know.
Speaker 2: So yeah, because it's I remember, you know, looking back at it and saying.
Speaker 3: Hold up, we hold value.
Speaker 2: That we are bringing money into to the university. So so does that make you smile? And are you excited about it that a guy that you were in school with, Ed O'Bannon helped like spearhead where things are now like UCLA is literally the hub of nil and being on the forefront of things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just they Ede Bannon helped everybody get ahead of it, you know. So I'm just glad that we were able to capitalize in that space and now these athletes are able to capitalize on their name likeness.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And that also leads to the transfer portal because part of it is talent acquisition, but then it's also talent development, roster retention, Like what's your plan in terms of getting UCLA to be the best roster possible.
Speaker 1: You still have to recruit high school kids. And like I said before, I treat high school kids as draft picks, so we think you're like a first, second, or third round draft pick. And then free agents or portal kids. You know, if we got to plug a hole somewhere, we'll get a portal guy. But you still got to recruit and develop. That's the main thing. So I still want to recruit the high school kids, develop them, and then if I have any holes open, then I can plug that with portal guys. But once you get guys in my system and get them developed, I shouldn't have to go to the portal too much. Yeah.
Speaker 2: See, I love that, Like that makes me happy because everybody is well not everybody, but there's a lot of people who are just trying to bigger, better deal. And you know, but I think that development of talent is going to be like the new currency because that's going to help you retain your roster exactly. And in terms of recruiting, Southern California huge recruiting landscape. Kids you know from you know, from down in the south all the way up to the north. Are you focusing heavily in California or are you taking a more national approach on your recruiting.
Speaker 1: I still want to put a fence up in California just to keep the local talent here. That is good, but I do want to cast a bigger net and recruit nationally. UCLA has a brand that's national, and we should be able to recruit nationally. I played with a lot of guys that were from out of state.
Speaker 2: So yeah, And what are some of the things that you're looking for in recruits outside of the tangiles, right, because everybody knows like somebody who's big, fast, strong, throws the ball well, catches the ball. What are some of the intangibles that you're looking for that represent UCLA football.
Speaker 1: It's more of like mental stuff. How does he compete in the classroom? Does he do it the same way on the field as he does on the field. What's his exceptional trait? You know, I can't bring guys in here that's gonna tell there on our culture. This is a true family environment, true family culture. My guys play hard for each other, they play hard for me, but because they trust me, So I can't have guys in here that's gonna tear that down. Because we're gonna be taking steps back. But as long as these kids are you know I I do a good job at finding why they're playing ball. Yeah, why are they like this? Then we should be okle.
Speaker 2: To exceptional ability. You just said exceptionally, Explain to me what.
Speaker 1: That means, just your exceptional traite? Like, what do you get to? So let's go back to you. What would you say your exceptional trade was coming out of high school? What's something that you do you show on film or in your games every game every Friday night.
Speaker 2: Oh, just that I was gonna play with a lot of energy and be and just make special plays exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay, so motor okay, right, yeah, okay, that's an exceptional trait. Now now how often does he get to an exceptional trait? Do you see that in every play?
Speaker 3: Okay? Yeah, that's what I want because.
Speaker 1: It's a I would say mine might have been visioned stiff arms something like that. Are you seeing Do I get to my move like basketball? You get to his move?
Speaker 3: Okay? Yeah, Kenny?
Speaker 2: Can he get to his spot and then execute? And I remember watching you play in college and watching you play in the rolls.
Speaker 3: Ball big back.
Speaker 2: I mean like, I mean, what what Dereck Henry was, Now this is what you were at that at that point and point in time, is the big back gonna be making a comeback?
Speaker 1: I mean I hope. So I just want the back to make the comeback. Ye right, you know, before we even get the size of let's just get running backs back. But I think it's gonna come full circle. Christians joining a good job in the NFL, just being consistent. Yeah, by year other guys are doing the same thing. But you know, we got to get the value back on that position.
Speaker 2: And you got a chance to play in a super Bowl with the Carolina Panthers. What does what are you able to take from you know, your experience in the NFL to use in a college environment.
Speaker 1: Just letting him know about the adversity that you're gonna go through. Nothing's gonna go smoothly. That Super Bowl went up and down, up and down. Yeah, you know what I mean. So you got to always just prepare, never take anything for granted, and always finish the game.
Speaker 3: You know. Yeah, it's hard.
Speaker 1: I think that was our biggest thing in that Super Bowl. We didn't quit. Yeah we might have been down, but we didn't quit. Yeah, we kept fighting, kept fighting, got back within I think we tied it up and then lost my field goals.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So to go back when you were getting ready to go out to Vegas, you were getting ready to take take the job with AP out there, and how cool is it for you and AP to begin your first shot at the same.
Speaker 1: Time, It's awesome because I was taking that job to help support one of my friends in that situation. Yeah, him the job of the Raiders and changing the narrative of NFL head coaches, you know. Yeah, I kind of liked that story, so I wanted to be involved in it, and you know, I was just thankful that he understood what was going on. And yeah, I'm in the same situation he's in in college. So yeah, you know, we want to change this narrative and just let you know, ex players can play, we can teach, we can coach, and you know we're knowledgeable just like other coaches.
Speaker 2: See, I love that too, because you have so many former players right who who want to be in coaching and have so much value. But to see them get involved in it and then get the opportunities, Man, I love it. I love it when you're looking at you know, being a first year at head coach, right, you obviously have to have some mentors or people that you're going to call when, you know, when times get hard or you just need some advice.
Speaker 3: Who are some of those people that you're going to lean on.
Speaker 1: Most of my running back coaches Kelly Skipper, Jim Skipper, Jim's retired. Kelly's the running back coach with the Bills. I had Kelly and college. I played for gym in the NFL. There that's his dad. Okay, yeah, so I've been to Skipper family for a long time. Kennedy, Oh, I love coaching.
Speaker 2: He's probably one of the smartest, like guys where he taught like the wine back with the Bob and with.
Speaker 1: The man everything. And he's somebody that really gave me a platform when I was his assistant. He gave me a platform and really let me coach. Yeah, he helped me find my my voice basically, you know. So, oh a lot to him, Todd Bowles, any and everybody that's been a head coach has reached out to me. Dave Roberts, so it's been It's been a lot of people. Pete Carrol, you know what I mean, Like guys just reaching out and won and it to talk to me, just try to give me tools and ways to help me be successful. Yeah, So it was just awesome, even from different sports. So that's what was cool about That's dope.
Speaker 2: When you were here obviously with the with the last regime with Chip Kelly, what did what did you learn under?
Speaker 3: Under Chip?
Speaker 1: He knows that that run game, you know, Coach Kelly taught me a lot in that run game. But you know, he's exceptional mind. He's very gifted in the offense coordinator, just as a football coach, you know. So I just loved everything that I tie. He's a true players coach, just in the and and that's in the aspect of wanting to take care of your body.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: He wants his guys to be full.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's all about the science. Like he's all about the science.
Speaker 1: So I like that component about it because he never wants to put your body in a bad or a compromising situation. And that's a true player coach.
Speaker 2: That's an interesting thing because people fashion themselves as players coaches, and you think that that's the difference in being a players coach.
Speaker 1: You're taking care of them or you just a friend. He's taking care of your body.
Speaker 2: Well, well, I guess that's like the difference in a different way between being a parent and being a friend, Like like am I doing what's best for you?
Speaker 3: Or am I just trying.
Speaker 2: To be cool with you? Fact UCLA is headed to the Big ten. They it is the Big ten? Is Oh, it's just physicality and all these things. But and UCLA kind of I think gets a bad rap because if you look at the team last year, they ran the ball, they would run the ball down your throat, played physical, strong defense. But why is there this perception about UCLA is not as physical as everybody else?
Speaker 1: No idea, because it was almost the same thing when I was in school. Yeah, I think it's.
Speaker 3: Just is it the colors? Is it what?
Speaker 1: I have no idea what it is. But all we can do is just keep lighting up each Saturday and playing, you know. And I think my guys do a good job of that. They don't get too frustrated, they don't hear the noise. They know it's there, yeah, but they don't get too too caught up in it. They just let it go and just let their their past talking.
Speaker 2: What does success look like? U c l A and year one in five years from now.
Speaker 1: Number one thing we want to do is make sure that you see my pillars every game we're out there. And discipline, respect, the enthusiasm.
Speaker 3: Okay, you see.
Speaker 1: That in my players, no matter how win, losers draw. You go out there and watch them play, and you're like, man, them boys played discipline.
Speaker 2: So when I when I hear that, I hear discipline. You shouldn't see personal fouls. And probably one of the lesser penalized teams is that.
Speaker 1: You shouldn't be out there shooting yourself in the foot. Yeah, you know, because it's already hard enough to win, yes, now holding stuff like that, ye, yes, the pre stat penalties off side false stars. We should be.
Speaker 3: Able to manage that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And what does and the second pillar was respect.
Speaker 1: What does respect me, respect the game, Respect your teammates, respect the opponent, respect me, respect your professors, just the whole. It used to be love, yeah, but now it's just respect. Yeah, same thing, yep.
Speaker 3: And enthusiasm.
Speaker 1: Just get out there and have fun, you know's Yeah, there's enough dark moments in this game. Yeah, right about that that we don't need to create them ourselves.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So go out there and have fun. It's the same game you were playing when you were a little kid, the same game I played at second grade all the way up to thirty. It's just that the venue changed around it. But it was the same field. Yeah, you know, So never lose touch of that.
Speaker 2: And so to all the recruits out there, to all the families right that are thinking about, oh, should I should I send my baby all the way across this country?
Speaker 3: Should we go down down the street? OK?
Speaker 2: Can you tell the people why you see la and why this is going to be a great place for not only them to play football, but for them to be people.
Speaker 1: UCLA is a place where we're building men. We just make sure that we put our guys in situations to be successful on and off the field. There's more to life than ball. Like I always tell my play all the time, Jerry Rice played twenty years of football. You'll be lucky to play twenty years. Yeah, and he's gonna be a regular person way longer than he was a football player. So that life after football component aspects is huge here. That's why his books and ball. And you give me an opportunity to coach your son, I guarantee how I'll build a great man for you.
Speaker 2: And so you you have your own sons. And I've experienced this as a dad, which is I'm like, and I've talked to other former professional athletes He's like, kid, will you listen?
Speaker 1: Dude?
Speaker 2: Does the Sean Foster head coach even have to talk to his kids and be like, why are you so hardheaded?
Speaker 1: Every now and then it's still that Yeah, you know, So it's a it's a it's a weird component in there. But I think now it's coming back because he's getting into high school.
Speaker 3: See that's the way my older son is like, is.
Speaker 1: Seeing the value in Yes. So now it's a little bit more listening. But yes, I was experiencing that. Yes, Yes, it's the truth. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And before we get you out of here, so we play a game called reister or wrong, and I'm gonna I'm gonna give you a statement and then you tell me, am I reister or am I wrong?
Speaker 3: You can elaborate if you want. Am I reister? Or am I wrong?
Speaker 2: The worst thing to ever happen to UCLA football was Hurricane George?
Speaker 1: Oh you reister? Was that was that ninety eight? When we went out there?
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, that was the Miami where the game got pushed back from September to December.
Speaker 1: And oh first year of BCS, Yes, headed to the natty had to play the game.
Speaker 3: Well, didn't have.
Speaker 1: To play the game, but we thought to be BCS would yeah, because we didn't know. Yeah, because the first year we thought the BCS might knock us out. Had had to go out and play the game. We should have left earlier in that year and just played them September anyway, because the hurricane didn't hit.
Speaker 3: It didn't even hit.
Speaker 1: Yep, they didn't hit. Those people across the state, across the street played Florida State, I believe that same week somewhere in there out there, and they went and played. We should have played the game, but you know it, stuff happens, you know. We we came up short against the Hurricanes.
Speaker 2: And role See that's like me taking take a deep brother, and mine is about Miami too, because in two thousand, in the two thousand and one two thousand and two season at Oregon, we ended up playing in the Fiesta Bowl against Colorado and we were number two in.
Speaker 3: The AP and USA Today pulled and the BCS.
Speaker 2: Put Crouch after he won that when that heisman, which is another whole nother conversation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, am I brightster or am I wrong?
Speaker 2: You're conflicted about how to feel about Reggie Bush getting his heisman back because you're happy for Reggie, but something good happened to the guys across the street.
Speaker 1: I'm happy for Reggie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm happy for Reggie.
Speaker 1: Knowledge that I'm happy for Reggie.
Speaker 2: Am I rerister or am I wrong? U c l A versus USC best uniform combination game in all of college football?
Speaker 1: Yes, that's true. It actually needs to be played on rivalry weekend. It needs to be Yes, rival the week before, but we should be playing that weekend. Yeah, because that our teams and home Yes, yes.
Speaker 2: And that's that That's why having Cal as the last game it's supposed to be.
Speaker 3: It's supposed to be USC U c l A.
Speaker 1: That was like the color Rush before the color Rush.
Speaker 3: It really was.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yes, both home games. The home teams got their home drazes on that. It was a color rush before the color rush.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And for everybody who doesn't know U c l AH top apply to university in the entire world, I mean great at sports, home of legends, innovators and everything else and am I right story or am I wrong? U c l A will be back on top and short order right. Thanks for coming on the show.
Speaker 1: Thanks, appreciate you all.
Speaker 3: Yelp