Speaker 1: Hi, everybody. Welcome to another edition of Packers Unscripted from Packers dot Com. I am Mike Spoffer, joined as always by my trusted colleague West and Hodkitz, who actually has Vince Lombardi behind him just like I do. As we come to you from different locations here at Lanmbelfield and Wes. We are told, and we've been being allowed to say this on the show, that this is the last zoom episode of Unscripted. We will be back in the studio with new cameras and a whole new setup and everything for our next show. But for now here we are. But yeah, Vince is in your background as well as mine. That's actually kind of cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really is. And the Lombardi Show you can call this one. No, I mean, the thing about it is, I mean, obviously we're in a big transition right now with our control room, and as much as I want to be back in your physical presence and be able to work off of each other and have that real inner per dialogue, this past like four or five months kind of brought me back to COVID a little bit. When I'm sitting in my attic and you're sitting in your living room or your office, whatever it was, and kind of just making this whole thing work. But you know, the beautiful thing about.
Speaker 1: It, we figure it out as we go, right.
Speaker 2: The beautiful thing about is we have some incredible microphones. So for the people that actually just listen to this as a podcast probably have never actually seen anything different. But I certainly am looking forward to being back and doing these things up close and personal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, for this episode we posted, we recorded and posted a little bit early because we needed to get this done prior to all of the news that is going to happen on Tuesday, Tuesday afternoon with regard to the roster reductions, and we will get to some thoughts outlining that in a minute, but first to recap the Packers pre season finale against the Seattle Seahawks wes the final tune up for the starters, and of course, in that regard, most of the attention all month long has been on Jordan Love and the offense. That's where so much youth on the Green Bay Packers resides. And for the third straight game, Jordan Love and the number one offense produced a touchdown in their brief cameo, and yeah, some things could have gone a little bit better, a little bit smoother. But to score a touchdown in each of the three preseason games with your new starting quarterback, that's not a bad way to go into the regular season.
Speaker 2: And to end, you know, and all those games feeling pretty good about yourself. I mean, it went from Cincinnati to New England to you know, that finale against the the Seahawks, you know, all three times I think it was like, oh, the offense got better today. I felt like, you know, one of the arguments I made for playing love and the starters in these games was the ability to maximize the reps afforded to you during training camp, and we said from day one, Mike, the Packers needed every single one of them they can get, whether it's the public practices, the private practices, any of them. This is one of the big things that you have to go about doing. So I really look at it, as you know, fifteen plays, eighty yards, talking to Christian Watson about it afterwards, it was all the things that happened on that series that make me feel really confident about where the Packers are heading. Offensively, it's vanilla defenses, Mike, But as we talk about, if you don't move the ball against vanilla defenses. That's also a cause for concern. The Packers were able to do that. They did it with a left tackle and Rashid Walker, who had played four special team snaps a year earlier. Now he's blocking the blind side of Jordan Love. Well, David Baktiari sits out of the preseason game. You did it with Patrick Taylor in Emmanuel Wilson cycling in the background. You did it with Malik Heath, an undrafted free agent, catching a big slant route for fifteen yards. Oh and then, by the way, when it came time for paydert sixty yard touchdown to Christian Watson. And as Watson told us afterwards, that's a one on one play that he expects to make and the Packers hope to continue making this season. I thought, for Jordan Love's final audition here before we get in regular season, it was an absolutely outstanding performance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think the Packers offense feels pretty good about itself heading into the regular season. Obviously, they know they didn't necessarily face everybody's number ones on the defensive side of the ball. Nobody's you know, nobody's saying they've got this all figured out or anything like that. They got the reps they needed, they put points on the board on a fairly regular basis. They started to smooth smooth some things out, and now things will shift into the whole game planning phase. This isn't you know, it's not just practicing the playbook anymore. It's going to be starting to game plan for the Chicago Bears in Week one. But in your last comment you mentioned two players that I think are worth talking about here within the context of guys who made a you know, it's it's a it's a cliche meteoric rise, but I'll say it anyway, A rise of that type up the depth chart in this training camp and preseason. And I'm talking about Rashid Walker on the offensive line and maliek Heath in the receiving corps. Rashid Walker, as you mentioned, a seventh round pick a year ago, took in some senses, took a red shirt year as a rookie here in Green Bay, and now by the end of his second training camp he is the number two left tackle. He was the guy filling in the back half of training camp for David Baktiari when he was not lined up with the first unit. And then maliek Heath, an undrafted receiver. We know this is a young receiving corps. There were three draft picks that were brought in, but by the end of training camp in the final preseason game, Malik Heath is out there running with the ones, catching passes from Jordan love In in that final preseason game. Those are two guys that at the beginning of training camp we wouldn't have said that we're gonna be, you know, spending a whole lot of time talking about them, but their rise individually up the depth chart at their respective positions very impressive.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and it's starting off with Walker. I asked, you know, Sean Clifford after the game on Saturday. You know Clifford that was his left tackle at Penn State. Yeah, for I believe two years. And you know he even said he's like, you watch his film from a year ago to watching it now, not even just looking at the Penn State stuff, just in Green Bay, just seeing the quantum leap that Walker made and the story I keep telling people, Mike, if you go back to the twenty twenty one NFL Draft and you have those immediate like, hey, what you know, way too early predictions for the draft for the following year. There are a lot of pundits out there that thought that Rashid Walker was going to be a first round pick the next year, and unfortunately, some injuries and things happened. He ends up falling to the Packers in the seventh and the actual twenty twenty two NFL Draft virtually red shirts. It comes back this year looking to be at a completely stacked position with yosh Naiman coming back on the tender. Certainly you had, you know, Zach Tom looking like he's going to start somewhere, and here comes Rashid Walker. And not just the fact that, okay, he made this big improvement, the fact that the Packers trusted him enough to block the blind side of Jordan Love in two preseason games in which they're going to be under the microscope, wanting to make sure that he stays healthy. I think that showed a lot of faith in him. And then from a Leak Heath standpoint, now again we're gonna post this, We're gonna see how everything shakes out. But guys who I thought made a great account of themselves as undrafted rookies as college free agents. I don't think, really, Milie Heath could have done much more to impress this team, and precious coaching staff led the Packers with receiving in the preseason and in every opportunity he was given, I thought absolutely capitalized on it. For a guy that came in as a backdoor college free agent to be starting with the number one offense in that preseason finale and even getting those work those reps in practice the week leading up to it, I think really speaks volumes about what the coaching staff thought of him and the camp that Heath really put together in Green Bay. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Well, another question I want to throw your way with this training camp in pre season now in the books, and we talk a lot about the rookies, of course, and where they are and how they're going to fit in. So the twenty twenty three draft class for the Packers, which draft pick impressed you the most over the past month.
Speaker 2: Luke Musgrave, just because I thought the strides he made from day one to where it ended, I mean, he's going to be asked to fill a really pivotal role in this offense now, especially with Tyler Davis out for the year. You know, Joside Deguar has a lot of experience, but he's used more as an h back. When they go to eleven personnel packages in the middle of the field, you're going to see number eighty eight quite a bit. And I felt like the Packers that you know, they made an investment towards the future, the highest they've drafted a tight end in twenty three years since Bubba Franks, when they took Musgrave at number forty two, and you saw the speed, you saw the length, you saw the legs, you saw all the things that fit with him. But I like the grind that he kind of was on throughout camp. He didn't rest on his athleticism. He wants to do the nitty gritty parts of the tight end position as well. A lot of these guys, I think on paper, we had a really good idea of what these prospects are going to look like. Loose Luke Musgrave, especially coming off of that injury, was the guy that I thought impressed me the most in terms of what he offered to this football team that went beyond the resume and the draft grades that ultimately got him selected in the second round.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and my selection with regard to this is actually going to be from the same round of the draft, the second round, and it's it's Jayden Reid, the wide receiver from Michigan State. He from almost the moment he began taking reps with the number one offense, he just has looked like he fits this offense, that he's he is what the Packers have been looking for in that role. They tried Amari Rodgers as a draft pick, they tried a veteran like Taevon Austin a couple of years back. They've tried different guys in that slot role. Obviously Randall Cobb was here, and no offense to Randall Cobb. Jayden Reid looks like he fits this offense better than Randall Cobb ever did. And what he's done as a rookie and what appears to be his very extensive knowledge of the playbook and the connection that he's developed with Jordan Love in a very short time. You said it, Musgrave is going to play a big role in this offense. I think Jaden Reid is going to play just as big a role in this offense as a rookie, and Packers are going to They're going to have some growing pains on offense because they're going to be counting on young guys like this who have so much to learn and so much to figure out. And it is such a long season. It is such a grind, especially for rookies who have gone through all of that pre draft stuff and then and then after you get drafted, then you get thrown into a rookie mini camp, and then you're thrown into OTAs with the veterans and mandatory mini camp. You get about a month of a break and then you've got to be, you know, in training camp full speed ahead, and you're the one. You're the guys who are taking a bunch of snaps in the preseason games because the coaches want to get you ready because they're going to be counting on you. This is going to be a long haul for these rookie draft picks that the Packers are going to be counting on. But both Jade and Reid and Luke Musgrave sure look like they're ready to play those big roles.
Speaker 2: And kids, if you ever wanted to have that testimonial or that decision of whether or not to play football, or what it's going to take to accept the excel at the NFL level. Just run back that Mike Spofford's speech right there, because I'll tell you what, I don't think I would have been tough enough to handle it myself.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't have been the other thing I love.
Speaker 2: About Reid too. So many years I said this to you during the game on Saturday. But so many years. You know, people want to protect looks and all you want to get to. But packers are running end a rounds of Jayden Reid. They don't care if they put it on film, They'll do it in practice whatever. Because again I think it's not some trick play. This is going to be this young man's role in the offense and they want to get those reps down. An explosive young player. And as we've talked about time and time again, Matt Arvin, our beloved Matt Arvin here in the game presentation department. He loves Jayden Reid from the beginning. A Michigan State alumnus, always took a liking to this kid coming out of you know, that part of the country. But I'll tell you what, he lived up to the hype. And I just think there's fast twitch, muscle fiber there. I love the way he catches the football. I just feel like he's going to be a difference maker and a needle mover and a guy that's going to help you move the chains in might. The more you talk about this football team, if they stay healthy, they have so many of these guys, right, Musgrave falls in that category obviously, as we just talked about with Heath. With Reed, you have Heath potentially in that equation. Samori two Rays could potentially be coming back. And then, by the way, we're not even talking about Christian Watson and Romeo Dobbs. Yeah. And when you're talking about a ceiling for a football team and being on the younger side of things and wanting to see where youth can take you, I mean, there's so many guys to be excited about on this ride.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you talk about youth potentially putting points on the board. You got six round draft pick Onders Carlson, a kicker who made a fifty seven yard field goal at Lambo. The interesting thing to me, because we've talked about a lot of his ups and downs and everything that he went through when Anders Carlson was kicking in lambeau Field.
Speaker 2: This summer time.
Speaker 1: He was smarting Odden with every exactly I mean, his his his downs in terms of the ups and downs they took. That took place on the practice field over at Nichki, you know a little bit in Cincinnati and in that first preseason game when he's been kicking in lambeau Field Family Knight. The preseason games he's been, uh, he's been as good as anyone. And the Packers are are ready to ready to roll. There there is one and this is relates to Anders Carlson. There is one roster move that the Packers did make before we turned on the cameras to tape this, and that is they have decided to go young at punter with Daniel Wheeland. The veteran pad O'Donnell has been released, and of course that impacts Carlson because Daniel Wheelan will be his holder on place kicks. An interesting decision here for the Packers. But but you know, Brian gudakuns to he He's dropped all kinds of hints every time he has spoken with the media over the last several months. He's dropped all kinds of hints that he is not afraid to go young. He is not afraid to put together a young team that he sees potentially growing together. And this initial roster move on Monday that was made at punter certainly speaks to that.
Speaker 2: It does, Mike, because Pat o'donald is one of the three guys the Packers have that was actually over thirty years old, you know, a very young football team. He was one of the guys that you know, tended to lean a little bit more towards that veterans side first and foremost. You know, we're taping this. We got to get to see what the initial fifty three looks like. But if this does work out this way, that Wheeland did in fact make the team, I saw a couple of things online. I believe he'll be the first Irish born NFL player in thirty eight years. Certainly, you've got to, you know, can't overstate the importance of the international part of this, for the for the league and where he comes from, and you know, his development and going to UC Davis and you know, finding a way through the XFL to get into the NFL. I mean, this kid's story is pretty remarkable. And you know, you tip your cat to him because I think so many times Mike, you and I have covered these training camp battles, especially at the specialist positions, when you know Tim Mastay and Mason Crosby were here a lot of times. It was they bring in some guys, but at the end of the day, you got you got your two. You don't really think too much about who that next guy is going to be. And in Wheeland's case, he made himself undeniable, I felt, I mean, he showed a world class foot Both him and Pat o'donald are really tall, very well built guys. I mean no disrespect to Jacob Schump, but you know, you go back to shum and sixteen and Jacob's just a little bit taller than I am. I mean it was a smaller type of smaller type of punter. And now you get these like really long lever guys that could just put the ball, you know, miles down the field. That's going to be the big thing. But also the rapport in the development that's going to have to happen with Whalan Wheelan and Andres Carlson because that's a big part of the relationship too. I know, there was so much trust that got built between Mason and Pat last year I think that was a big calming influence on Mason and being able to kind of get back on track after the knee injury after some you know, we saw in twenty twenty one how difficult things can be at times if the wholer situation isn't quite figured out so that they're going to grow together is the biggest thing. But certainly the Green Bit Packers appreciated of what padd O Donald brought and now going to see what lies behind this next door.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we'll take a further look at where things stand with these roster cuts and the deadline and everything in just a minute, West but some sponsor business First Serious XM NFL Radio delivers hard hitting analysis and up to the minute NFL news that true football fanatics need. Twenty four to seven, three sixty five and ed cousin subs. We have something for everyone like our Wisconsin cheese curds, mac and cheese, golden fries and creamy shakes, all paired with your favorite sub or sub and a bowl Cousin subs fifty years of better. All right, The deadline is three pm Central Time on Tuesday. The Packers will have to have their roster reduced to the NFL mandated fifty three plays. Then the waiver period goes until I believe it's noon on Wednesday, and then once the waiver period has passed and players have cleared waivers, then teams can start signing players back to their practice squad. And of course there are now sixteen spots on the practice squad, so there's a lot there's gonna be a lot of interest obviously in how this works out, because because honestly wes going into this, we don't really know are the how many how many running backs are the Packers going to have on the fifty three? How many wide receivers is going to be six? Is it going to be seven? What are they going to do at tight end? Tyler Davis who's out for the season, He was never really replaced. So is that a spot where Brian Gutukunstan company will be looking at the waiver wire to possibly claim somebody or sign a veteran, you know, who gets released maybe unexpectedly. There are all kinds of possibilities out there and we just have to we just have to wait and see what happens. Because, for as much as you can you try to get a handle on it, and there's certain things that you think you know, and this is how this puzzle piece is going to fit here and there. There is always something that happens at the roster cut down deadline that surprises us that none of us really saw coming. There's a decision made that the personal department's been thinking about it, but they kept it under wraps and and suddenly it's a it's a surprise to everyone. So we'll just have to see what that might be come Tuesday afternoon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very difficult. It's a tough situation, and obviously your heart goes out to a lot of these guys because these are their hopes and dreams. Mike. I mean, there's so many guys I talked to and listen to in the locker room after the game. I mean talking about how you know, you got to keep a levelhead, you have to stay focused. I know Emmanuel Wilson, I thought, had a really interesting point about how he planned to spend the day. And you know, he likes a journal. He journals everything that he does. And you know there's a by the Rookie Hotel, there's a late you a little bit of body water down there. He was just going to go down there and pray and just try to stay as steady as you can be, because ultimately the work is done. I mean now you just got to kind of wait for the final results to show themselves and then figure out, hey, is it fifty three, is it practice squad? Is it somewhere else the NFL. I think the hardest thing for me this time of the year isn't even necessarily the guys that are just on the bubble. It's the guys that you know that are out there that maybe aren't going to get another opportunity that they actually did play their last NFL football or their last football game, and that Saturday night at Lambeufield against the Seahawks. Because the story eventually for everybody ends at some point. For me it was fifth grade, but I mean for everybody, you know, there is that turning of the page. So seeing the dreams come true too is always fun. As I you know, I've been well documented the eighteen year consecutive streak of the Packers having at least one undrafted rookie make the week one roster that had to get a little modified a couple of years ago because of Chris Barnes not actually making the initial fifty three, but then being brought on after Kamal Martin is put on IRS, So I had to make that slight modification. But when it comes to an undrafted rookie making this team, it has been eighteen straight years dating back to Ted Thompson's first year as general manager, so that is probably always the underlying story of this, seeing who potentially could be that guy, but also just seeing how these positions, you know, ultimately sort out, right, because depending on who you keep where has ramifications for Rich Pasacia's special teams as well, and as we've seen the last few years, a lot more emphasis being placed on that with how the Packers build out their fifty three. So it's a nerve wracking time, but it also is an exciting time because now after months of conversation and you know, reporting back for the offseason program four months ago, now we finally get to see the twenty twenty three off twenty twenty three Packers take form. Here as the offense switches over to Jordan.
Speaker 1: Love Yeah, and the other interesting piece to watch too. Now, sometimes things happen, sometimes they don't, But this year the Packers are the highest They've been in the waiver claim order at this time of year since twenty nineteen, which was the last time the Packers were coming off of a non playoff season. So that's how you get that's how you end up higher in the waiver claim order. Now, back in twenty nineteen, the Packers didn't actually claim anybody during this period of the roster cutdowns when they were higher up in the order. We will see if that potentially happens this time around or not. But when you're sitting at I'm trying to remember now, is it fifteenth, I believe the Packers are. That's you know, that's a very different spot than when you're you know, twenty sixth or twenty eight or you know, something like that when certain players become available. So another thing to watch, and there will be a lot of both with the waiver process, the practice squad signings. There will be a lot of roster machinations between now and Wednesday afternoon, and then, as you just alluded to with Chris Barnes and situations like that, maybe somebody gets activated to the fifty three, you know, before the first game against the Chicago Bears. So it's a constantly fluid situation. As Brian Gudokun says, roster building, roster management is a twenty four to seven, three sixty five thing. Just so happens that these next couple of days are probably the busiest with the most activity in the shortest period of time that you're gonna find on the NFL calendar.
Speaker 2: Two things, Michael quickly. One, will the Chicago Bears claim six players again this year? We'll wait and see. There the world stands in suspense. But two, Chris Barnes will forever go down to me as the cheekiest move the Packers have made here in the last twenty five years, because not only did they cut him, they kept Kamal Martin so that Martin could be designated to return because he was gonna be help with basically the first half of the season. They re signed Chris Barnes then, and then he was the mike linebacker in that game starts that next Sunday against the Minnesota Vikings. Things that were only made possible thanks to the COVID pandemic. I doubt there's any way that would have ever worked out otherwise. There had been too much, too much of Chris Barnes out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. If Chris Barnes plays preseason games as an undrafted rookie in twins starting, yeah, he he probably does not clear waivers. But the Packers were the only ones who had any film on him. They had him in practice, they knew what they had. There were no preseason games in the COVID year. So when Chris Barnes' name is out there on the waiver where he was just a name, you know, there was names, nobody, nobody knew anything about him. And but you're right, that was a that was a clever little move the Packers pulled a few years back. So we'll see what We'll see what Brian Gudukunst has in his back pocket this time around.
Speaker 2: And I'm cheering for Chris. He's down in Arizona. It sounded like he had a pretty productive preseason, so hopefully things work out for him down there. Packers got really deep at inside back in the last couple of years. But I definitely believe that Chris Barnes is still an NFL player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would. I would certainly agree with that. So with that, we will call it a rap on the sedition of Packers Unscript it'd be sure to follow all of our coverage of the team. By the time we do the next show, we will know what the roster is, we should know what the practice squad is, and we'll be looking ahead to where things are headed in week one and hopefully Wes and I will be you know, in closer proximity. So thank you for tuning in everybody. We will see you next time.