Speaker 1: This is Matt Barnes. You're listening to All the Smoke before you dive in. If you want to listen to uninterrupted episodes, you can unlock ad free listening right now with the subscription of Black Effects Plus. Just click to subscribe at the top of the All the Smoke Show page on Apple Podcasts.
Speaker 2: New York seven.
Speaker 3: You and l V lember to Larry Johnson.
Speaker 1: Let's go ask where we should go? And y'all flooded it, man, So.
Speaker 4: We appreciate the love than that, y'all coming out and showing us love.
Speaker 2: We appreciate y'all. M hm hm Jack.
Speaker 1: Great way to end this la rep runoff with the with the absolute legend, arguably the greatest of all time. Man, Let's walk up to the show. Lawrence table Man hell two times Super Bowl chap eleven time All Pro, three time Defensive Player of the Year, was robbed with only one MVP in eighty six, again arguably one of the greatest of all time. How is life currently right now? I'm sure you get a lot of golf in you know what, I tell you.
Speaker 2: My golf game right now it's not where it used to be.
Speaker 1: I heard at one point you're like a two handed cap two.
Speaker 2: I mean I used to be like a plus two. But now you know what, I've gotten old. I've got no old. God say a life is treated me poorly. I've gotten old. I thought I would never get old, you know. I thought I would beat the baddest on the earth for at least fifty He's still up there. Okay, now we're still up there.
Speaker 1: Michael Strahan, Yeah, Michael Strahan. Michael straight said, he said, he just stopped being afraid of You's intimidating.
Speaker 5: And it took me until hell recently to not be intimidated when I see.
Speaker 2: I tell you, life is what it is. Uh, the game of football, I don't watch it the way I used to watch it, you know, because now this has changed a little bit. Nobody want to hit nobody, you know. So, but we're not gonna talk about my problem. We'll talk about your problem. I'm decorry college just.
Speaker 1: Right, urban legend or truth. You've shot ten holy ones in your golf ten.
Speaker 2: Yes, I haven't a.
Speaker 1: Man for the furthest one out? What was your first one out?
Speaker 2: Probably the furthest one out was to twelve? Because see, I'm not like you. I don't play from the frontiers the way.
Speaker 1: I play all the way to the Whites.
Speaker 2: I played all the play back.
Speaker 1: I played the Whites or the Blues.
Speaker 2: The locker room I did up in front of the build, the tips that I don't know this. I don't know this.
Speaker 1: Hey, everyone said, I mean, we talked to James Worthy. We've talked to a lot of different people. Everyone that you're just a super athlete. Anything you put your mind to, you were able to accomplish, either than your football career. Speech for yourself, but James Worthy said, you used to hoop with them and open gyms. Be the most athletic person out there. Obviously your golf game is Where did just your athletic problemsts come from?
Speaker 2: I guess I learned from my dad and as I got older, you know, like I said, I started out as playing baseball. You know. I was when I was six years old. I went out for baseball. I made every All Star team until every All Star team except.
Speaker 1: My first year.
Speaker 2: My first year I didn't and every other team I was always at All Star. And one day at Lafayette High School, the coach came to me, he said, listen, hey, uh, well, t wo you need to come out and play football. I've been playing baseball, you know, going into my junior year. You know, he said, listen, you should have started. You know, you need a place. And he challenged me to go out there and play football. So I went out for the sixth first six weeks. Man, they just kicked my ass. I mean, all this day I'm running with listen, all this hitting. I ain't mad at nobody. And then in my junior year, the first play of the second quarter, the guy in front of that it was I was the second team, you know, and he he went down and I had a great game. I had a great game. I won the game for the team, and suff it was a whole great game. And guess what the next game, I got better. Then I got better, then I got better. Then I got better and got it, and I got better and ended up all American, you know, one of the top players in the country. Short amount of time. It just got better and better and better. And then my senior year, I still played baseball. And let me tell you something, I was a hell of a baseball player. I was the catcher. But hey, when I hit.
Speaker 6: A ball, nobody say I got it. They say I go get it.
Speaker 2: But I tell you I enjoyed and my junior year, my senior year, and then all of a sudden, I go to college and play play football. Once I got that thing in my mind that I couldn't even go to sleep every every when I go to bed that night and say I'm playing a team the next morning or the next day. By the time I get to the game, I've already played that game twenty times already. I've already played it twenty times a month. I already know what the hell you're gonna do. Ain't but so many Listen, guy lines up here and you give them the ball. But ain't, but so much you can do it? Okay, you know shitna run it? Or you line up on the player and I look at your formation. Ain't for so much you can do for a formation. You can't just you can't just make it happen. No, No, And guys gotta gotta learn how to read the formation, because you know there's a hundred plays in in football, one hundred different plays and stuff. Well, if you look at the formation, you can narrow narrow it down to three or four plays. Even, so many things you can do and if somebody else's move a goddamn but one thing you can do, all right. So that's how I am. That's how I look at the game. Yeah yeah, look at the signs and then don't act. Now, if I was in the science class, I wouldn't know what I wouldn't I wouldn't understand either, Just me too. Ship.
Speaker 1: Before we get into football, I really want to touch on what do you remember about the pickup games of North Carolina on the basketball court? I mean you were in school with somebody.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you something. Hey, look we hit back in the day. We used to going to go out there and we play and play and and I remember for the the intermediate Uh yeah, yeah, we won the championship because you know, but we was disqualified because we cheated. But you know, we ain't really cheat. One of our players he was actually he wasn't actually in school. Okay, yeah, technicality against that. But I used to go out there and play with all the boys, I mean, Jordan James Worthy, all those guys that I used to go out there and play. And what.
Speaker 1: Was your game like?
Speaker 2: Well, see, the problem is I couldn't hit nothing from like thirty five feet, but thirty one thirty anything. And they used to say they just say that, say, well I could, I could, I could shoot the ball. I'm off and I'm decent in defense. I already got mad because they only give you six files, you gardener, getting more than six files. I need more than six fis.
Speaker 4: Imagine somebody imagine you having more than six foules.
Speaker 1: We dead lt is on me. I'm passing that bitch. Cut it out, someone else do something.
Speaker 2: I love the years that Carolina. I think it's one of the best schools far as getting meeting people and and and and.
Speaker 1: Just that the whole preparing you for life.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, because I've been to a lot of ship that the lot of ship that Carolina, you know, been threatened to kick. Maybe this is one year, okay, I'm not gonna tell you. Come on, going in too much. Senior year and we're out and some of my boys and stuff, and they got this big old festival and stuff, right, So we go to the festival because it's right there at Aaron House. And we go to the festival and a couple of my boys stole a couple of items from the festival. So they gave him to me the whole because like, you know, ain't nobody gonna suck Maybe, I mean, save my language, but anybody's gonna mess with me. So I sit there and I held the ambers and then all of a sudden, the the the lady, that's what the ta or whatever that the lady is, she came over there and saw it fussing, arguing stuff. I got anyway, I got sent to back in college. Uh to court. Uh you know the campus court, you know. So I got sent there, me and a couple of mother boys. And so what they did is I wasn't allowed to stay on South campus anymore, you know. So I was allowed to stay on Stamp campus. And you know, this going into my senior year, and I'm worried about if I'm going to be able to play my senior year. So decided, you know, he can play, he's just not allowed to be on South campus. Okay. So they put us on in a building on North campus, fourth full story building. It was four of us, guys. Four We all had a floor. I could stay on the first floor, somebody else got to stay on the second, four, third, fourth, greatest.
Speaker 1: So so you got in trouble and it got better.
Speaker 6: Oh God, the greatest it was a girl, hey, and it was a girl's dorm, bete right across now, greatest it was.
Speaker 1: It was one time. The trouble was that want to work for me? All bad trouble turns into gold. I'll tell you speak to your friendship. Obviously every week you got a good relationship with Michael Jordan. But how's that start? And how is it in one of those golf matches, like, I know you guys both being very competitive.
Speaker 2: Well, Mike, when I actually my senior year, not my senior right after I seen my rookie year in and at the Giants. Mike came to school that year. So I came back to finish up school that summer. And so he was playing with the team, practice with the team, and uh, what what's the coach thing? Dean Smith allowed me to practice with him, right, he allowed me to practice, and Mike was always every time I turned around, he just saked. Hey, call him foul foul, foul, foule. I just hit you a little bit, Come on, man. So every time Mike had the ball, I wanted to guard. I wanted to guard Mike because it was and it was the pain you gun I am because I know Michae was dropping you off. Yeah, yeah, he gonna drop me off. He's gonna drop me off of a little something in his egg gonna Yeah, I'm gonna throw something now. So you know, I'm not saying that I'm a fair player. I'm just saying I'm a player player. I'm not saying but hey, we used to have a great time doing that. He is truly, you know, he's one of the best. But I'm the best when I come to when it comes to fouling, though, But you dun't. You can't ask that question, could I dump?
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 5: Was?
Speaker 2: How you want it? Really?
Speaker 3: How you want it?
Speaker 2: Okay, how you want it? I know I heard it. I heard you wanted back. What's all that? I could do anything I wanted.
Speaker 1: To get your way.
Speaker 4: I was an athlete, man, Yeah yeah, I mean I was in the NBA and I couldn't do half that ship.
Speaker 2: So I had to ask, I couldn't do it?
Speaker 1: How did how did golf come into your game? And obviously you guys have heard legendary stories about just the competitive with you two on the golf course.
Speaker 2: Mike, it's competitive in anything he do. Okay, listen, he does nothing half ass nothing. I mean, I don't. I don't care if it's if it's if it's shooting marbles. He does nothing half ass. You know. He wants to be the best at everything he does, and pretty much he is. But we have but we have a great job. We have a great job.
Speaker 4: Not many people can say they actually changed the game in any sport.
Speaker 2: You actually did it in football. How does how does it feel when people tell you that, we say change the game? What the what the fuck do you mean by that? I can tell you what our our definition would be.
Speaker 4: You as far as from the position you played, you made the game physical, You made it entertainer. You you show people how to play the game with passion, leave everything on the line, willing to die to win the game, like a lot of people don't.
Speaker 2: Automatically. You can't teach that. No, so you had that, and you did it on the highest stage.
Speaker 4: And for people to con you as the best defensive player of all time, that says a lot.
Speaker 2: I love I loved past best, loved the game of love the game of football. I love the contact. I don't want to go out there and go through a walk through. No, I got to hit somebody, Okay, that's what. That's what I do. I hit somebody. I mean when I dad gonna started stripping, nobody does. Nobody was doing that. Hey, I invented the stripping the ball because I said, if if I'm going to you're gonna run the ball and I tackle you, you still got another play. But if I tackle you and I stripped that ball, guess what, it ain't George no more. And that's what. And I remember I used to do that, and then all of a sudden, when we got to the Giants, I was doing it so much. Is that they started teaching having strips practice. Yeah, stript practice and stuff. I mean, yeah, a lot of things. I changed the game too. I played against a lot of good players. But just like my dad always told me, say, you got to be better than the next man just to be equal. So goddamn get out there. But you know, and that's what I do. And that's what I'm saying because at the end of the day, hey, I want to be the best. Now just days I didn't gone out and maybe had too much drink. But let's say I'm wanting to stay on your ass from from fifteen of one five zero zero until it go down to zero zero zero one.
Speaker 1: I love it. We had a Michael Strahan on the show and he was just telling some some legendary stories about how you didn't like the practical when you did, you win one hundred miles an hour. There was no bullshit.
Speaker 2: I didn't like the white practice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he said you didn't.
Speaker 2: He said, you did. I was at that time. He got there, was they going thirty some years old. I ain't got a practice no more.
Speaker 1: He said, you would earned the respective.
Speaker 2: But he didn't have to say I don't want to. I don't want to go out say no, no, no. I remember when I used to go out there. I'm all geared up, I got, I got, I got stuff on my hands. I got did they go on vand I'm all locked up and I'm ready ready to kill. About six seven years later, I'm like, hey, hey, got ship strapped up? You want it? You want to now?
Speaker 1: You want it in the game.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying, I work on Sundays. Guy there.
Speaker 1: He also said sometimes you would He said you would sleep during the meetings, but wake up another whole game plan.
Speaker 2: That dad going, Bill Belichick. You know, he would sit down and he'll go over these dad going these plays and stuff, and I'm looking at it and I go on to sleep, and then I was like, I said, get your ass up. He said, tell me what your what you do on display. I don't tell him. I tell him what I do, but I can tell him what everybody does. I knew one thing about football. I know what everybody is doing on that football field. I know what the tackle's doing. I know what the nose tackle's doing. I know what the both linebackers doing. Hey, I know what the DB's doing. All the safeties. I know. Only person I don't know what the hell is going is me. Because I want to do what I wanted, what I feel. I gotta do what I feel. But see, I gotta you gotta do what I feel. But I gotta stay within the framework of the defense, because if I don't, I screwed him up. So I do what I wanted to do to a point, but I stay within the framework of the defense.
Speaker 4: Bill Belichick was your defensive coordinator. Say you the great defensive player of all time? We all know and he listen, he right right, He's definitely right.
Speaker 2: What was Bill like back then, late Jackson, when Belichick first came in he was assistant special teams coach. Assistant to the special teams coach. You gotta load that. Anyone know what damn that ship is. But but and then his second year he became special teams coach. His third year was Bill park Sells first year as a head coach, and he named Bill Belichick the defensive coordinator. Man. I had a fit. I mean I was, I was, I was raising, hell the fuck this man? Man? Get back? Then and there shack some balls and I was, I was, I was really pissed. I went into Bill's office. I said, Man, what the fuck are you doing? Manden? Hey, you're gonna name him as as defensive coordinator? And Bill told me, he said, let me tell you something. All the defenses that we've been running for the last couple of years of Bill Belichick's design. He designed all these daggon defense. Yeah, hey, he den behind all the defenses for for And I was shocked, and I gave him my I told Bill, he was ship, I give you my blessings. Man, go ahead, and I'm to tell you what. Personality wise he's whatever andever. But I'll tell you what for Somebody that knows football knows defense. Knows. Hey, he knows what you're supposed to do. Oh, he's bad. He's a bad man. He's a bad man.
Speaker 1: Parcels.
Speaker 2: Bill Parcells has always been my main man. You know, I'll do anything for Bill. You know, Bill Love. He was a guy that brought me to the Giants, and I remember he was and he taught they he worked with me, And I ain't gonna say that he worked with me. God damn already knew what I was doing when that got there. But he I member Bill. I'm telling you a quick story. I member Bill Parcells. Parcells. My first week in the NFL, Parcells was on my ass. I mean you know, I was on the second team. I was on the second team. John Scoorpan was in front of me. I was on the second team. That last no, I was on the third team. I was thirteen. That lasted about five minutes, Okay, Then I moved to the first team. That took about another two minutes. So I'm sitting there and Bill is telling me he's on my ass every fun because because you know, when you he's something, you see a diamond in a rough. You know, you can't just hey, you gotta you got to talk to him and make him go and the right direction and stuff. So he was make me go the right direction. But every play he was on my ass. I was just coming out of college, you know, and university. Every play he's on my ass. Oh, you gotta be over here, you gotta be here, you gotta be here, you gotta be here. I'm saying there, I'm making it. I would dig on rush the quarterback. The quarterback was set up, throw the ball thirty yards down field. I would turn around and run down there and knock the ball away. And he said, what the fuck are you doing down there? The hell you doing thirty hello? Every day on my ass, my ass? And I finally say, hey, hold up, coach, hold on. You can do whatever you want. You can trade me, you can cut me, you can put John score Pan back at a linebacker. I don't care, I said, I don't care, but you've got to stay off my ass because I tell you what I can't. I don't work like that. It didn't work like that in college. It ain't gonna work like that in here because of this day. I can't work like that. And Bill Paul say, he looked at me. He said, Okay, I think he said, okay, motherfucker. But I don't know what he said, but I think, okay, never worked for the Brothers. That never works for the Brothers. Brothers, sorry, he said. He said, Okay, I tell you what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna let you do it your way. That works for the Brothers. He said. As soon as you mess up, I'm gonna be in your ass and you're gonna do it my way. I tell him, that's very cool. I never had another commosation with him for the next twelve years. Yeah, he had no problem with what I was doing. I love it. You know.
Speaker 1: Did you see the viral video of Belichick leaving his girlfriend's house with his shirt off? Like a month ago. Bill Belichick just retired and he was leaving his girl's house. Okay, so what's the problem?
Speaker 2: Nothing at all, bro, ain't no problem. Did you see it? What the problem?
Speaker 1: Ain't no problem.
Speaker 2: I just want to know if you.
Speaker 1: Got a coach your first year, you went rookie the year, defensive player of the year. I mean, what your step.
Speaker 2: K the defensive player of the year.
Speaker 1: What's the problem?
Speaker 2: I want it all?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what I mean, what's your first thoughts? I mean, obviously this is the top of that supposed to be the toughest and you're going here.
Speaker 2: And hey, when I first came into the NFL, I'm serious, after going to Carolina, you know, playing at North Carolina Ceth. When I first came to the NFL, it was like a man playing with boys the Johnts day. They've been playing football for all these guys I'm playing for thirty forty years or whoever it is. Hey, they didn't care no more. They didn't They weren't excited about winning or last ten years, last fifteen years. They weren't excited about a winning. They just just going through the damn motion. All the players are just going through the most of because hey, John's hadn't won the dagg on a playoff berth in the last fifteen to twenty years. Right, They're just going through the motion. And I refuse to go through the motions. And I would go to practice and man, and listen, when I go to practice, I go to practice, I go to work, you know, I go to work and I'm like, hey, let's say, hey, I'm gonna hurt somebody. Okay, I mean to hit somebody, but hurt but listen. But it wasn't until and then Parcels. I remember when Parcels used to call meetings and he want all the all the all the the older players to come that because those were the teams captains and stuff like that. And and and I remember when he called the meeting and he asked me, he said, hey, l T, I want you, I want you in this Well I wasn't LT. Then I was Lawrence, Okayn, I want you in this meeting. And I went to the meeting and and I said God, and I felt funny because I got all these senior guys in there, you know, all the Harry Carson, Phil Simms, uh uh, Brian Kelly, all the senior players were in there, and I don't know what the hell am I doing. He said, listen, because look at that group. You said you better than all of them. That hit me. And I'll tell you I when I went out there on Sundays, no matter where I'm coming from.
Speaker 5: Hey, I come to work, come to work. I'm ready to talk to us a.
Speaker 1: Little bit about those those New York Knights. And I mean you had plenty of them. Mike Tyson was out there. Dyale Strawberry Dwight Gooding yourself. There was a lot of young black, rich talent out New York in the eighties all the time.
Speaker 2: Listen, and we all went to the same place. He's not here. Yeah, he's not here, the Dago Cluffe Covin uh and in New York City, he's not here. That was the hottest place, hottest. He's not here. He's not here. Boy, I'll tell you what, uh uh Ship.
Speaker 4: Taking him back at the moment, take us back to he's not here.
Speaker 2: What would it be like right now? We was in he's not here with you right now, I'm spoken for him. Thank you. It was that popping in there, It was it was amazing. If you got that body, you got Mike, Tyson, you got you got everybody and there's somebody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mayor were you there with What was it like? Would you and Mike develop a friendship? Tyson?
Speaker 2: You know what? See Mike, you gotta be careful around Mike, you know. Yeah.
Speaker 4: But Michael, guy, I'm thinking about that right now, like you worry about Mike.
Speaker 2: Ship, I've been in the room with Michael. I'm in the room with jobs. I don't know how I was sitting there. You listen, you're gonna mic sometimes and listen. He's a great guy, love to death, and we have a great relationship. But you may say the wrong thing you don't even know, and then all of a sudden your asses and your ass is in trouble. What hey, But what what a great man? I tell you? And I think about all the people I've met, uh in New York in the through sports and stuff, you know, and like Tice, all kinds of baseball players, basketball players. I mean, listen, I used to sit out there with he uh when Mike would come to the to the Jordan would come to the Mason Square guarden, sit on the floor and then we'd be talking. But all the things, all the people that I've met, and all the people that have played in New York and and I mean missed October, I mean all everybody got, you know, it's like a family. And yeah, I'm I'm happy to be here because I can't think of any other place I could have gone to where I can control the situation.
Speaker 1: But you mentioned all these great people, but you were the biggest star.
Speaker 2: I was the biggest star. It wasn't the biggest I was big. That wasn't big no, No, to a point, boy, if I would have got sleep at night, I would have been We understand that too. Yeah, I mean that was you know, Jack and I were both known.
Speaker 1: That's how we met. Was we been hard on off the court? Do you ever feel like what you did and you know obviously you're kind of speaking to it. You know, the night life ever hindered you?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, I mean, you know, I look back at I look back at it now. But did you know what? And I say to myself, I say to myself, look where you're at now, I mean, or look, whether you have achieved, chieved? Could you have done it better? Now? If I would have gone home every day, if I would have dead, gone go to the gym every day, if I didn't drink Johnny Walker black every day, could I have been better? Maybe not? Maybe that was your ship though I don't know. I don't know, maybe not. How could you know when you still end up being him? Buddy. Guys don't drink, don't smoke, and they do everything.
Speaker 1: They just ain't got it.
Speaker 2: It just got it. It just ain't in them. A lot of people like that all the time.
Speaker 1: The mental side of the game. Something like you said, you prepared. You need the formations, but also the intimidation side. So on top of the mental intimidation because they knew you as a bad motherfucker. Were you a big ship talker too?
Speaker 2: Am I gonna talk ship? I don't mean to be rude, but motheruck. If you can't play, you can't play. God damn, get off the field. I mean to get somebody else. I used to sit there and listen, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey hey, you're blocking.
Speaker 1: Me long day.
Speaker 2: Why don't you tell the coach you got a cold or something? Hey? Uh, it's once you get the the timing of the game, the feel of the game. The uh. If you get to a point where you think you can beat some one person all the time, oh god, I feel sorry for him. I feel sorry for him. I made shire help. You know you got you got? Baby? At least hit me one time where I'm like, oh shit, this guy. Make him play a little bit, you know. Yeah, it works that way, but it is what it is. Man, football great sport. I enjoyed it. I mean I lived it. I dreamt about it. I I I'm all about contact. I don't listen, don't get me involved in a two hand touch a game. I want contact because that's all. And don't give me the daggon, don't give me the second string. I used to hate that someone's coming and bring the second string guy and put over me. That's an insulting Listen, what the hell he gonna do? I wanted to beat the best that you got, you know, Anthony Munos and something like that. Guy, Hey, I want you. I want the best that you got, Anthony, Larry Allen. H just just several. I mean, there's a couple of guys that played for and for San Francisco. Uh uh uh. There was one guy from Saint Louis. I mean, a black dude. I've got his name now, but because he didn't leave a card, you know. But uh yeah, oh boy, Okay, that's enough.
Speaker 4: Okay, moves and TV shows that acting come naturally like everything else pretty much.
Speaker 2: I mean, let's say, because you know what, most of the movies I mean, I play me, Yeah, you know, I played me. I mean it was only a comfort movies that was way offline, like the one that played when I was I was a preacher that was way that was way offline. Man. But moe was that I forgot the name of it, but you've been a preacher. Probably why we didn't see it. That's why we didn't see it. Probably ship ship nothing, gold show, Oh damn it go the ship damn oh fu love love love one love what God? I can't wait to rob him. I can't wait to rob I can't wait to rob this one. What's up? Bro?
Speaker 1: Talk to us about any given Sunday we had Jamie on the show. He said there was beef with Team him in l L. What was that experience like? Because to me, that's one of the great football movies ever.
Speaker 2: I go, I mean drug Rehab. Okay, it was nineteen where he was that nineteen ninety seven, seven seventh of ninety eight. You know, how were you there with me? The movie? Movie came out ninety nine, right russe number. When year the movie came out. I said, y'all see Okay, yeah, well we we filmed, we filmed here, were feeling in Florida. We actually went We filmed in Florida, okay, and then we moved. Then we went to Dallas. But anyway, I'm trying to say, I'm sitting in a drug rehab and my last one, my last we had. I ain't had no more. But Oliver Stone came all the way to the That's that's crazy right there. Olive Stone pulled up on rehab. He all came to the rehab me and said, listen, hey, I want you to play a part in the movie. And I said, I don't know if I can, because you know, hell, according to these motherfuckers, I want to be here for a while.
Speaker 1: So I go.
Speaker 2: And then all of a sudden they hired what was the big guy from like the Green Mile, and uh, Michael Michael Clark duncan, right, so I get out of rehab. But they hired Michael Clarke Duncanto to play the role as Shark. Right. You know, he's practiced of these practicing and stuff, and they you know, doing stuff, and so he said in the office Stone, he said, let's not tell you what we're shooting in Miami once you come down and and give us some porners for like a like an expert on hand, you know. So I said, I go on down there. I'm sitting there on this and and they run this stain, run this this, this, they run this play and uh, Michael duncan he he it's this guy. And all I could see was Marshmallows, Tell what the hell is that? It's nothing real? I mean and arv stole. He came to me say, I just don't feel it. I can't feel it. You know I can't. I can't feel it. He said, do me a favor, he said. I said, yes, sir. He said, go inside, put on the uniform, show the past helmet, put on some gear, and come out and show him how to run this play, right. I said, okay, you're paying me. I go in, I go out, go inside, come back out. Hey the play. We run the play bam bam bam. I come in, I fill the hole. I hit the something boom and this said he and I thought he was dead anyway, but alvut Stone jumps up. That's what I'm talking about. That's the type of ship I wanted to see. He looked at Michael Duny, say you fine on the spot, on the spot, fine, lt let's play. And and so he gave me his part. And that's how that's how I thought, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: The way with the chainsaw cutting the car and half.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm laying on the field taking that last hit.
Speaker 4: You made that look so real like it made me feel like we've seen it makes you like we've seen.
Speaker 2: You on the field in real time in that same position before.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: That's how good you made that character. I'm not saying I was a good show. I was into the moment the show. Yeah, you have me believe in it. I thought you was really hurt. I thought you I thought you really hurt out. I ain't hitting nobody at.
Speaker 1: Home, quick hitters.
Speaker 2: We're gonna finish it off when we don't feel in the blank. Lawrence Taylor would be wouldn't be here without I wouldn't be well you say here like here in this room today today, I wouldn't be here today. Web styles my dog niche yeah, my girl, Yeah, yeah, all right, that's right. I wouldn't. I wouldn't because I got some some legal ship that be doing.
Speaker 1: Stupid.
Speaker 2: I might met my match job, Yeah, top me.
Speaker 1: Phil Simps told the story one time about you him you driving down the term probably going fast as he thought he was gonna die.
Speaker 2: You took your chew.
Speaker 1: Out and threw it out, and your super Bowl ring came off to.
Speaker 2: Truth to that soup for the souper, No ring. My super Bowl ring never.
Speaker 1: Came off, was it? A ring or anything or was that just you was just making it sound good.
Speaker 2: It was just spit that came out. Yeah, that wasn't true. Go ahead, next, childhood my childhood crush. H damn a childhood crush probably though, one of them, uh, one of them Jackson's. But I'm not talking about Michael. Yeah, no, Michael.
Speaker 1: I don't need no Michel.
Speaker 2: Okay, what else? Stupid ship? You got more stupid question?
Speaker 1: Your favorite album of all time?
Speaker 2: It got me some type of Luther vandraw. You like to chill it out? Wots to me? Taste something? When I started doing that, how do you think I caught her.
Speaker 3: Big Luther a little? The ear ring, the earring, the single ear ring.
Speaker 1: You started a fashion trend way back. When Where'd that come from?
Speaker 2: You know, I'm not really sure, but I know when I came into the league, they started calling me l t Oh, no, it was it was Lawrence at first, you know, or Larry or something like that. It was, yeah, okay, you look like Larry, but a guy that made made the air ring for me. And because my first year, my second year into the league, I started being identified as LT and you know, we had one two defensive players over the years. Well, I said, so they identified me. It's just and I've always wanted to be like, you know, like Michael Jorge m j uh signature. You know that Michael Jackson. He's in there too. But man, the guys that were just identified just by their always wanted to do that, and it started to happen. I just stayed on that boat.
Speaker 1: Couldn't tell you ship, They can't tell me. Lawrence Taylor Family Foundation. You can have your daughter come help explain it if you like. But talk to us, yes, yes, yes, yes, come on.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm tell you what we can from there. Now. It's a great foundation. And tell you what they we We work with a lot of kids, and I mean the things we have done over like like food. I mean as far as we're providing for uh families that come over, they can they can come and get food on weekends and stuff like that. And that's how I started with them, or or find out found out about them. But they do a lot concerning kids. And yeah, but he nobody can talk better about it than my daughter because I'm just I'm the face. I'm the face.
Speaker 1: Huh, she said, say my name like Beyonce.
Speaker 2: I got a lot of kids.
Speaker 1: You want to speak of it?
Speaker 2: What else? What else the foundation does?
Speaker 7: So we're transforming families, right, We're building well rounded families. So when you have the opportunity to change a child's life, it is hard when they go home, right because those parents, those families, they don't have the same tools, the same skill sets. So our goal is to build well rounded families. Why because I came from a broken home, no offense, love you Dealley, shout out to my dad. But when you are not from a well rounded family, you get two sides of different coin. So we want to build families who have the same skill sets that we're building in the children. So our goal is to create healthy, well rounded families. Not that the family consists of a man and a female. It consists of whoever is who, whatever is a part of that child's life, whatever is creating the foundation, because that foundation is what we are. That's that's what we're what we're headed into, you know. So our goal is to transform the lives of those that we see every day. So if the child that we feed and that we are creating tutoring and life skills for it goes home to a parent who has no job, who just got in jail. They there's a disconnect. So our work is to create opportunities for that father. So exactly, you have to build the family, you have to build the union foundation. We're building well known families, not just children, because that's what creates the better outcome. Right, And so while we love lt for always showing up, you know, we do the work and he shows up and he gives us that that that vibe, that energy, because that's what people want to see. They don't really care about what we're doing in the community because that's not where they're connected to.
Speaker 2: They care about get close to him. So that's great, use it.
Speaker 7: Let's raise this money and then let's give it back to the community. That's what it's about. And so we we leveraged that because I love him, But from my own personal experience, I understand the disconnect. I understand what it's like to be a part of one life and then to go into another life and my parents when my parents divorced, I experienced two different types of realities.
Speaker 2: And all right, though a couple of dollars, thank you.
Speaker 7: Energy to really help us do the work. So we thanking, We love him.
Speaker 2: And we love y'all for having no Thank you appreciate Lawrence Family Foundation. Yeah, Taylor Family, Lawrence Taylor Family.
Speaker 1: Can they find that? Is it dot com dot dot com? L T Man, We appreciate you. Thank you very much. You were amazing.
Speaker 2: Amen. Thank you for don't go to sleep, don't try to ride me in that motherfucker got you, man.
Speaker 1: That's what the legendary Lorrence Taylor. You can catch us on the Draft Kings networking to all the Smoke Productions YouTube Man Gold episode Yes, sir, mm hmmmm
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm