Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final hour.
Speaker 3: In this Tuesday Dan and the Dan It's Dan Patrick Show. We will talk sports analytics. Coming up here momentarily. Also Reggie Miller will stop by. Stat of the Day is always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. NBA on NBC and Peacock every Tuesday Primetime Coast to Coast Bucks and Sixers, and then in the West the Clippers and the Jazz. It all begins tonight eight eastern on NBC in Peacock. Peacock is where you can also watch this program along with the NBC Sports Network.
Speaker 2: Eight seven to seven three.
Speaker 3: DP show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show Seaton update the poll results and what are we going with in the final hour of the program.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we have up there right now. Which wins more games, gut feelings or analytics? Gut feeling running away with that one still well over seventy percent. And which would NFL fans prefer in the new coach of their team, the hot young assistant or the older established coach. Hot young assistants dominating okay, of course, and do we have a poll question for the final hour. We have a couple of here from Todd that are very funny, but one of them was, and I'm not sure what kind of commentary he's making here, but how often do you think a sporting event is fixed?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 2: Very often?
Speaker 4: Every once in a while or never?
Speaker 2: When is the last time you thought something was fixed?
Speaker 6: Not very recently.
Speaker 7: I was more having fun with that poster of showing the two quarterbacks that just happened to make in the Super Bowl. The coincidence of this NFL post that everybody's in the whole world is talking about, how do they have their two quarterbacks playing in the Super Bowl? Right at the very front of this NFL posted next to the Lombardi Trophy.
Speaker 3: So people would be willing to go to jails what you're saying, Sure it's topping before to fix a game.
Speaker 7: There's currently things going on right now in the news with the allegations and point shaving and all.
Speaker 5: Kinds of stuff.
Speaker 7: Okay, I would have I would go every once in a while.
Speaker 5: I won't say never, but i'll say everyone at.
Speaker 2: We've been talking analytics.
Speaker 3: We've been talking analytics since the Denver Broncos fourth and one call, those who were all in on going forward at fourth and one and those who thought he should kick the field goal in that situation. Sam Schwarzstein does this for a living Amazon Prime, the football analytics expert there. When did analytics become a bad word here in sports?
Speaker 6: I don't know. For me, it's always been a good word.
Speaker 8: When I was playing at Stanford, we used it a ton on decision making, mostly from a team tendency point of view. But I think what happened when early two thousands when teams started changing how they approached the decision making process, and we're using what has been popularized from the hitting game of football, which is a based off of a lot of the hitting game of baseball, where we're able to find that field position can contribute a lot to what you're likely to do next or predict out the future scenarios and how much harder it is to play from inside your own five. And you know, with the dawna football three points two field goal possessions is actually worse than one touchdown possession with the seven points, and that changing a lot of how we can approach the math of a game. I think probably the early to late twenty tens is when it started to shift and become a big thing that and anytime you change it's gonna cause some friction.
Speaker 6: There.
Speaker 3: Just feels like if we said probability, people wouldn't have as much of a problem as analytics sounds like I'm smarter than you as opposed to probability.
Speaker 2: I don't know. We don't recoil when we hear probability.
Speaker 8: You're hitting the nail on the head. And a large part of the decision making process in analytics, as you say, is the conversion probability, right, and that fourth and one the next Gen Stats model had a sixty five percent to convert, but when you look at it from a run versus pass scenario, was seventy percent on the run and fifty five percent on the pass. And they choose to call it pass play, right, So it's changing the math based on the play call. I think that's what's hard when you have these public models like the Next Gen Stats model or different models that can often come up with different solutions.
Speaker 6: We're never going to have.
Speaker 8: All the information that the team has, but what these models can do is help inform how should you game plan? When I used to consult with teams, I would say, just like you have a third down period, you should start thinking about having a fourth down period and new play designs, things like the Tush push come out of it. At Stanford we had a ninety five percent conversion rate on short yardage one. I moved the ball forward a yard and a half typically until Notre Dame found out and then or on the other side of it was we had a unique play design looked a lot like the tush push.
Speaker 6: We call it sixty four lead dive.
Speaker 8: When we're running behind David DeCastro and handing the ball off to guys like Steffan Taylor, it's gonna convert, and so it changes the math and the problem the conversion probability, and you need to focus on mostly, Hey, here's a guiding principle on how you should approach forth down. But the conversion probably is so important. And what I would consult with teams is all about it's conversion probably is not real, It's what's happened before in the similar situations. It's how confident are you in your play call in that scenario.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I'm trying to understand this Sam, that the game is fluid. It's can I upgrade my analytics during a game that's going to factor in Their defensive line is better than we thought. The wind is whipping up, the weather is coming in. You already are factoring in Jared's Stidham into this equation before the game.
Speaker 2: But how do you upgrade during a game.
Speaker 8: That's a big part of what teams do. So the teams will you'll often hear people go go buy the book. Well, they actually print out a book based on what they think the game will be like and what scenario they're in to help guide their decision. And you look old school with the slide role looking for the situation. Go okay, coach, if we get to fourth and two or less here, we should go for it. He says that typically the analytics expert him or her will say that on around the first down, once they cross the fifty end special scenarios, maybe sometimes in their own territory, and they're giving that feedback on first down.
Speaker 6: So what you know to do on fourth down.
Speaker 8: And so what happens with the update is if you've predicted this to be a shootout and no one's moving, the ball kind of got to start going off a field there right, Or if you've an entered a scenario fourth and four and you've already used all your really good fourth and fourth place and they have a bead on what you're doing on fourth and four, that might change your confidence in your conversion probability in those scenarios and ultimately in these fourth ones, and you're gonna get models telling you to go for it. You really need to have the QB sneak involved because that changes the math so much that if you QB sneak on fourth and one, it has a conversion probably in league wider on seventy two percent. We know the push push and Josh Allen is different and better. If you don't, even if you run the ball, it's still around a fifty four percent conversion prop. So it changes the math based on that play design. So if those plays aren't working and you have to move off of it, it's just as valuable as the weather changing or hey, we expected something out of this drake may offense that they're not performing that way.
Speaker 6: It might change our decision making.
Speaker 3: But if I have analytics and you have analytics, chances are they're gonna sync up. I know what you're doing and you know what I'm doing. Don't they cancel each other out?
Speaker 8: No, because of how valuable field position is, and it's why we're seeing lower scoring games, shorter games, and fewer drives. When I did the rule book at the XFL, it was twelve twelve and a half drives per game. It's down to eleven drives per game. That might have seen them a lot, but that's one fewer scoring opportunity because we're having longer drives and you're starting in.
Speaker 6: Different field position spots.
Speaker 8: You know, as good as the dynamic kickoff is helping teams start closer, failed fourth down conversion inside the five, you don't see those points on the scoreboard, but when you look at the expected points, teams score only probably three percent of the time when they start inside their on five yard line. So it changes. Oh okay, now you're likely to get the ball back in scoring position. And that's what's going through the mind of Sean Payton, because hey, even if I don't fail here, my defense is playing great, I'll still likely get the ball.
Speaker 6: Back on my own forty, which is a great spot to start.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's fair. What would you have done in the moment? What did you say in the moment on the fourth in one call by the Broncos.
Speaker 6: Well, I was on a plane to London. That's where I'm doing this call from. Right now.
Speaker 8: We started our innovation process, so I was on game cast, couldn't get the game streaming, but I probably go forth there. It depends on the game plan. Jared Stidham.
Speaker 6: They felt confident his running ability.
Speaker 2: I hate that call, though, Sam I hate it too.
Speaker 8: I would rather him have his own read or something. But to me, I'm basing a lot of my fourth and one decision off of QB sneak, and I really want to have it. It's why I love the teams that use the giant tight end to go in and do it, because you're not contingent on the quarterback or putting the quarterback in danger to do it. An Aj Barner, a Connor Hayward, those scenarios I would probably lean on. And when one of the beautiful things about next Gen stats is we actually see where the ball actually was on TV, you're just going to see it says fourth and one, it's actually fourth and one plus four or one point four yards. So because we're in that little it's not an integer. It's not a solid number on every time to go for it. That's probably why they wanted to call a bootleg. But I also don't like the call. When I would do the rules of the XFL, I never would tell the coaches what play to call because that's not my expertise. Right I have certain things I like to do, but I'm not a play caller or play a designer, and so I'm gonna lean on Sean Payton for what he wants to do. But he probably doesn't love the call either right now.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think he does gut feeling over analytics. How do you balance that?
Speaker 8: I from my point of view, I lean heavily on the analytics, and that drives my gut feeling. If you watch Prime Vision with next gen stats, going to hear me talk about team tendencies and how they approach the game, very similar how I prepared for games, all driven by analytics and data. Where I think gut feeling can come in is the same thing about those numbers. If I know you aren't going to blitz from your numbers, it can be a tendency breaker and can beat me. If I know that you're doing a tendency breaker in game, I might change my thinking so I always.
Speaker 3: And the Patriots did something different though, because you had two linemen who came right through on that play and the defensive back could have had an interception. So they completely knew what was going on here exactly.
Speaker 8: And that's where they're lining up in a unique formation stop the sneak as well as give a tougher read to the quarterback. And I think that's where first half timeouts I don't really have too much. I'm not holding onto them as much LAMB for the second half timeouts. So if you see something funky, we talk about.
Speaker 6: That all the time at Prime.
Speaker 8: It's like when we have our red orbs show up and so than funky's going on, Like, hey, chill out a little bit, let's take a breather before you just really dive in.
Speaker 3: How much do you factor in the pressure of the game That regular season is one thing, playoff game and now Super Bowl Sunday.
Speaker 8: What happens in football is so much of the game is hinged on about six plays. We play have one hundred and thirty scrimmage plays per game, about one hundred and eighty plays total, and six plays may decide the game. Just like been at the poker's table. You can win over time playing small hands, but you get rich playing the big hands. You could also bust. And I think there's certain teams. If I'm a much better team and I feel much better at my confidence, I'm gonna be probably less likely to run more dangerous plays. Versus if I'm the underdog in that scenario, I'm probably gonna hedge higher.
Speaker 6: I'm putting all my chips on the table.
Speaker 2: Did you play for Jim Harball?
Speaker 6: I played three years for Jim and two years for coach Shaw David Shaw.
Speaker 2: Okay, hardball buy into analytics.
Speaker 8: Depends tendencies very much driven by it. So what Stanford we had under Greg Roman, he started this was to kill an alert system and it was all based on team tendencies and it all depended on what he thought his team could do.
Speaker 6: Great.
Speaker 8: We had Vic Fangio callin plays for us. Just think about that Stanford football team, like Vic Colin plays you had Andrew Luck. There was a funny meme from one of the message boards saying Sam Schwartzen was only non millionaire from that offense. You know go true, and I think you know that was a big focus on what they wanted to do, but we also had a stellar defense, and so he's bought in on anything that will help him win. And I think that's that's the big thing with him and Coach Shaw is a very similar way. People would hate when Coach Shaw would punt from opponent territory. But hey, we won a Rose Bowl, something Jim never did, you know, So it is a big big deal for how do I play it on my team strengths?
Speaker 3: But you also were cheating then, yeah, you would hike the ball that you moved it up right, So how do you move on and a half? Okay, how do you do that? And nobody's calling you on it?
Speaker 8: I'm gonna have to show you next week, hopefully you guys are in Santa Clara for San Francisco.
Speaker 6: But normally what I would do is, it's crazy, it's short yard, it's fourth down. Everyone's screaming going nuts. I would line up with my.
Speaker 8: Feet parallel on top of the ball, and as I'm calling the mic point out, I would just move the ball forward too, and I would move it out so I would extend my stands from my feet. In the Fiesta Bowl, I got two off sides penalties called on Oklahoma State to help us win the game because the officials were like, they're lined up off sides, but they lined up before I got set and so that's why they got called off sides.
Speaker 2: But Notre Dame busted you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Notre Dames. I remember being on the team plane and we landed. I'm pretty excited on captain and first class, excited. We're going a couple days early, and Coach Shaw says, hey, Samy, I need you to stand on the plane and I got to talk to you, and I'm nervous. What could this be? Did I flunk out of a class? I don't know what I did? Is like Notre Dame sent and thirteen clips that you moving the ball?
Speaker 6: Ford, we go fix it.
Speaker 8: And Sean Hockeley made sure to yell, I mean every single play that game and we lost in overtime, not that the scars are still there.
Speaker 3: Great stuff, Sam, Safe travels and hopefully we'll cross paths in San Francisco.
Speaker 6: How about going Thanks stream come true?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 3: Sam Schwarzstein, Thursday Night Football Analytics Expert.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 3: Hopefully it gave you a little more definition, a little more clarity on that. But it's all about probability. But I still go back to what you know and what I know and your analytics how much different are they than what I have. We'll take a break more of your phone calls. We make way for Reggie Miller. He'll join us next year, Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 9: Hey, it's Ben, host of The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller. Would mean a lot to have you join us on our weekly auditory journey. You're asking, what in God's name is the Fifth Hour? I'll tell you it's a spin off of it. Ben Matherer Show, a cult hit overnights on FSR. Why should you listen? Picture if you will?
Speaker 6: A world will.
Speaker 9: We chat with captains of industry in media, sports, and more every week explore some amazing facts about human nature and more. Listen to The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast, or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 3: Coast to Coast Tuesday Doubleheader Bucks visiting Tyrese Maxi in the seventy six ers Tip off fed eight Eastern. Noah Eagle handles play by play with Reggie Miller and Reggie's schedule to be a guest on The Tonight Show on Thursday with Jimmy Fallon.
Speaker 2: Wait really really, Okay.
Speaker 5: I got the invite. I'm gonna show up.
Speaker 2: What are you gonna talk about?
Speaker 10: I think we are previewing and highlighting Sunday Night basketball in America. You know we are going to take that time slot now now that football is coming to it.
Speaker 11: In Sunday Night basketball is beginning with my good friend uh in, the legendary Mike Cherico and Jamal Crawford, so three man gooths and.
Speaker 10: Starting this Sunday, the Lakers versus the Knicks.
Speaker 5: In my second home.
Speaker 2: Is everybody going to be available to play in that game?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 5: I hope so?
Speaker 12: Uh?
Speaker 5: Do you think what you mean? Because something blockbuster might.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I'll get to that in a moment.
Speaker 3: I just want to make sure all hands, like, I never assume everybody's playing in a game now. It's it's unfortunate, but I hope that they do.
Speaker 10: It's not unfortunate, But isn't it sad? Isn't it said that you even have to think about that. I mean, we never thought about that back in the day. I don't want to go down this route of out what we did in my day. But it's sad that fans, like yourself, because I consider you a fan of the game as well, that fans would even be like, well, who's going to be playing? Is everyone going to be available? You just didn't think about those things back in the day, when you knew if someone had a legit injury, well you knew they weren't playing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you know, when there's four.
Speaker 10: Games and five nights, the availabilities of some stars, I don't know if you'll get them those four games in those five nights.
Speaker 2: But I don't know.
Speaker 3: Like Giannis's injury, he's out, He's out tonight, Yeah, tonight, But like four to six weeks is that? Does he play again for Milwaukee?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Look, I've been kind of scratching my head.
Speaker 10: If you are a Bucks fan and you live in the in the state of Wisconsin, could you have seen you this his last game in a Bucks uniform.
Speaker 5: I hope not.
Speaker 10: But look, there seems to be riding down the wall. He's open to being traded again. He has not come out and said, I want to be traded, but you hear the from the Buck side now that it may be beneficial from their end as well to clear the books and close this chapter.
Speaker 5: Again, we don't know. This is all talk.
Speaker 10: This is all people just throwing out ideas and you know, coming up with rumors.
Speaker 5: And so forth. But we know he won't be playing tonight.
Speaker 10: What we do believe because Joelle and Paul George didn't play and that's thrilling loss last night for the Sixers versus the Hornets at one point, down fifty.
Speaker 5: At the end of three. I believe we will have Joe Well.
Speaker 10: And Paul or in attendance tonight well, but they got to make up the difference versus this under manned Milwaukee team.
Speaker 3: We've been talking in a lot of analytics related to the Broncos loss, and I'm curious when analytics came in to the NBA.
Speaker 5: I'd believe early to mid two thousands.
Speaker 10: I think right as I was basically retiring, I think people started to look at the stats more three versus two. That's when you started to get threes, free throws and layups.
Speaker 5: And the mid range game kind of started to become.
Speaker 10: A little bit more obsolete, and you started to play more in space and pace, so I would say around two thousand and five.
Speaker 5: Six seven, and then it just kind of took off from.
Speaker 3: There because you don't have to encourage somebody to take a three now, whereas when you were playing, you know, if somebody took three threes in a game or four, that felt like a lot. Now you might do that in the first quarter.
Speaker 5: Funny question. Hall of Fame coach.
Speaker 10: Arguably one of the best coaches I ever played for in Larry Brown.
Speaker 5: He used to look at me crazy when I was.
Speaker 10: Taking five to seven threes during that run from ninety four to when he left. I believe in ninety seven ninety eight, like he jumped all on me because I was taking threes.
Speaker 5: I mean, he was like living.
Speaker 10: I just wonder what he would think about in today's games where I mean, and it's not so much to me.
Speaker 5: It's who's taking yes, yes.
Speaker 10: I mean, you've got sinners power. Everyone's taking threes. It just is not the point guard or the shooting guards. It's I mean, I think coaches are taking threes now from the bench.
Speaker 3: I go back to Rick Bettino at Providence when Billy Donovan was one of his players. Rick is one of the first coaches who ever embraced the three because he had a small lineup and he shot the three. And then I go back to Paul west Head at Loyla Marymount. They were going to run you and they'll give you your two, but they're gonna come down and shoot the three. Like these are two legendary moments coaching moments in history and how they've affected the game.
Speaker 5: I think we also have to throw Don Nelson in there as well. Run TMC.
Speaker 10: They were kind of ahead of their schedule with Chris mal and Mitch Richmond, Tim Hardaway, Sharunas Marcelonis.
Speaker 3: And also he didn't have to have a big man either. He was the first coach who said, I don't need to have six' eleven seven. Footer my center can be six to.
Speaker 10: Seven and they played small and they tried to run you off the, court they tried to outscore, you and they. DIDN'T i, mean they had some, success but not a great. Success AND i don't think that really caught on in the. Nineties but boy has to come full circle now when you look back at Those nelly teams and how they performed and think about the Success you know those teams had back in The Bay area as well when they upset that When dallas was the number one seed With dirk and all, that and you Had Baron, Davis Stephen, Jackson Matty, barnes those teams came full.
Speaker 3: Circle Reggie miller on the call tonight at eight. Eastern it'll be The bucks visiting the seventies six, Ers mac. McClung no slam dunk. Contest why no four pt?
Speaker 5: Right that would be a four?
Speaker 2: Peak what is holding up his? Schedule maybe he turned it.
Speaker 3: Down, Well i'd get a guess that he, did BUT i mean that's what you're known.
Speaker 5: For three time. Winner he was looking for a four. Pete, yeah maybe he turned it.
Speaker 10: Down, look there's only so many dunks a human being can possibly. Do AND i give him credit because he's saved the dunk contest the last few. Years and if you're not gonna have big, names thank, God. Matt he brought the, funk as we call, it because he saved the dunk. Contest but, again you AND i have been down this. ROAD i think the three point competition has surpassed him BECAUSE i mean everyone's counting in the, arena you just don't. Know in the dunk, contest if a guy's gonna make a, dunk how many attempts he, Gets the luster comes off when he misses his first. Dunk at least in the three point, competition it's make or, miss and you know the.
Speaker 3: Number why can't we do The and we've discussed this that we have the old and the new in a three point shooting contest where you Have Del curry And Steph. Curry you, know you could be there With Klay, thompson are you And halliburton if he was. Healthy BUT i, mean it'd be kind of fun to embrace the past and the president in a three point shooting.
Speaker 5: CONTEST i would be on board with. That.
Speaker 10: THAT i, mean obviously us old timers would have to have some type of, handicap.
Speaker 5: But let the current day, players you, know do the bigger.
Speaker 10: Role BUT i would be on board with that because the last thing to ever, leave because you could get Are Craig hodges who can still, Shoot pejarstoyakovich who can still, Shoot Mark price who can still, shoot The Steve kirr can still. SHOOT i, mean it would be cool to kind of see some of these old timers and you pair them with the modern day three point gun.
Speaker 3: Slingers BUT i give you one rack reg like the old guys only have to do one. Rack so you get to pick your. Spot you, Know hodgs will be at the top of the. Key you might be in the, Corner Steve kerr at the top of the, Key paysia on the, wing.
Speaker 2: And you you just stand by Your we just do one.
Speaker 5: Rock you don't even have to. Move, No, oh, man sign me. Up what do you? Think, oh sign me? UP i would do that in a.
Speaker 3: Heartbeat, yes, Yes Derrick rose got his jersey.
Speaker 2: Retired uh is he going to The hall Of?
Speaker 10: FAME i would be Surprised if he. Doesn't he will be the ONLY mvp not to be in The hall Of.
Speaker 2: Fame, man if he didn't give me.
Speaker 10: A first, BALLOT i doubt he'll be first. Ballot but he'll get in at some. Point but for a six to eight year stretch he was him And lebron were battling for who was the best player in the game and the YOUNGEST. MVP i would be. Surprise at some point he's going to get. In all the MVPs get.
Speaker 2: In, man he was a.
Speaker 5: Thing, Hey i've said this on numerous.
Speaker 10: Occasions WHEN i first started on this side of the aisle and calling, GAMES i would. PAY i WOULD i would have paid to watch him. Play he was so. Electrifying and his demeanor because he wasn't one of those cocky kind of, guys but he exuded confidence and it just permeated because he you, know he let the other guys Because Joe King noah was the guy who was like cocky and, flash he doing all the, talking And loue All dan was you, know, quiet.
Speaker 5: Kind of like D.
Speaker 10: Rose Coach thibbs just had those. Guys oh, MAN i would have paid money to Watch Derrick.
Speaker 5: Rose, see he was that.
Speaker 2: Electrified but and it's weird to say this.
Speaker 3: That he may mean more To chicago because he was local Than Michael. Jordan Like jordan gave you the, titles gave me all of, that But Derek rose local one of your own in becoming A LEAGUE, mvp and you, know A hall Of famer.
Speaker 5: Born In bred at some.
Speaker 10: Point that's Why lebron was so loved and then became so hated because he was born In bred In, ohio play high school and was obviously drafted by them and then they felt betrayal when you know he left and took his talents To South, beach but made up for it by.
Speaker 5: Coming back and winning.
Speaker 10: Them you, know they're only, championships so you're right when in terms of pecking, order, Yes Michael, jordan he has all the, accolades. Fantastic but to, me the two PEOPLE i will always think about In chicago number One Derrick Rose Isaiah thomas. TOO i, mean when you think Of chicago basketball a lot of.
Speaker 5: Times his name doesn't get.
Speaker 10: Mentioned isaiah needs to be mentioned as one of the Great chicago athletes of all.
Speaker 3: Time are The lakers a? Threat, like what's the threat level for them right? Now without making any?
Speaker 10: Moves, WELL i think everyone's holding their cards right now because they want to see what's going to happen With giannis and what's going to happen With Jah moran and some of These Anthony. Davis you, know these are names that everyone assumes are going to be. Traded SO i think The lakers are kind of keeping their cards close to the.
Speaker 5: Vests are the a?
Speaker 10: THREAT i, mean When luca's going to be put up forty six a, Night, yeah they'll always have a puncher's chance if this was a heavyweight. Fight, yes they will always have a puncher's chance because of this playmaking and the scoring Of luca and having one of the all time greats In lebron on your.
Speaker 5: Team so there's your puncher.
Speaker 10: Chance the problem is when you get locked into a, series things start to get taken away and things.
Speaker 5: Start to get. Exposed that's where they're going to run into.
Speaker 3: Problems you, Know Rich paul doining his podcast With Max kellerman and then, Says, hey If i'm running The, LAKERS i Trade Austin reeves AND i try to Get Jaron Jackson. Jr you can't say that without us reading Into you have to have had this conversation with your Client Lebron james.
Speaker 10: Correct, yes, Yeah AND i, Look lebron has come out and said all the right things that he doesn't speak for, me and that's his he's saying all the right.
Speaker 5: Things but, look they're. Boys that's my. Agent we've. Had, yes they've had this conversation.
Speaker 10: Before but if You're Rich, paul you can't do it because NOW i, look If i'm ar And i'm looking at, It i'm looking at, like, really this is how this is how you think of, me you, know, So i'm sure he's taking this time coming back, too having known whether he said NOW i know he's supposed to play on This, uh hopefully he'll play in That sunday Night Sunday night. Game that would be great for him to make his. Debut but if you're, Rich, paul you can't do.
Speaker 5: It you can't say That.
Speaker 2: Nick's gonna Trade Karl Anthony.
Speaker 5: TOWNS i don't think.
Speaker 2: So would you trade him depends.
Speaker 5: On What i'm getting.
Speaker 10: BACK i wouldn't because the way the game is played, today you've got to have bigs that stretched the, floor check rebound, check he averages a double. Double he's just got him And Mike, Brown Jalen. Brunson they've got to figure this. Out and this is no fault TO. Jb, brunson BUT i think he asked he's gonna probably have to bring help bring catalong here because it's just to night and day from what we saw just a year, ago twenty four and Thirteen ALL Nba All star and then just the struggles he's having this year is just is mind. Blowing AND i Think brunson is going to have to help ring him.
Speaker 2: Along have fun tonight good to talk to.
Speaker 6: You aboud.
Speaker 10: Him it's always a pleasure to talk to. You theodore and My dannat's miss, you.
Speaker 3: Guys That's red Gi Aloisius Miller, junior the Third hall Of, famer and he'll be on the call With Noah eagle tonight and tip off at eight. Eastern it'll be The bucks Without giannis against the seventy six. Ers by the, way Every january we're told to start, over but real progress doesn't happen. Overnight, neutrofil the best selling hair growth supplement, brand targets the root causes of thinning from within for visibly, thicker stronger hair in three to six. Months skip the. Shortcuts Visit neutrofold dot. Com promo Code Dan patrick back with your phone, calls what we, learn what's in store tomorrow after.
Speaker 1: This Fox Sports radio has the best sports talk lineup in the. Nation catch all of our shows At Foxsports radio dot com and within The iHeartRadio app SEARCH fsr to listen.
Speaker 3: Live steelers will Welcome mike McCarthy in a couple of. Hours Mark, schlereth the former offensive lineman for The, broncos was on yesterday and he kind of stirred up the internet when he talked about his dislike of.
Speaker 2: Analytics.
Speaker 13: Yeah, dan you know it's really. FUNNY i get into arguments BECAUSE i hate. ANALYTICS i hate all analytics. PEOPLE i don't like, Nerds AND i always get into this with. Guys you like the two point conversion play and we got to go for it on fourth down and all this, stuff and you, know you get the sample size of. Data but, hey, man IF i haven't blocked your defensive front all day, long.
Speaker 5: Right that data.
Speaker 13: Changes if my guards can't handle your three, techniques if my tackles can't handle your defensive, ends then we need to.
Speaker 5: Change like.
Speaker 13: That math doesn't. Work math has never made a. Tackle math has never blocked. Anybody math has never done any of that.
Speaker 3: Stuff yeah That's Mark, schlereth who retired in two thousand.
Speaker 2: Games changed an awful.
Speaker 3: Lot and if you change the word to, PROBABILITY i don't think people would have anywhere near the. Problem you, know the old school, People Mark, Schlareth Michael, wilbon they hear, analytics they, think, oh those aren't sports.
Speaker 5: Guys it's.
Speaker 3: Okay there are a lot of coaches managers who weren't good at good, athletes good enough athletes to play in THE nba or baseball or, football but they're smart people and when you get to that, level it certainly helps being.
Speaker 2: Smart.
Speaker 3: Uh richard In. Tucson Hey, Richard.
Speaker 12: Hey, dan thanks for taking my. Call you, Know i've been listening to analytics for a long time And I've i've never heard it frame this. WAY i see analytics as simply a tool in the, toolbox and all craftsmen have basically the same. Tools but it's the master craftsman that knows what tool to, use when to use, it and how to use. It and that's, that to, me is where it all boils down.
Speaker 5: To thank.
Speaker 3: You that's simplifying. It, Richard thank. You let's See dane In. Texas, dane thanks for holding what's on your?
Speaker 14: Mind, hey good Morning. Dan i've got two victories for a gut feeling the beat, analytics and they're beautiful. Examples plus one game that you AND i both know was. Fixed. Okay the victory of the gut feeling starts with a game of, chess and that Was game six of The World championship Against fisher And. Spassky, apparently In game, Six fisher used an unorthodox move called The english, opening and he knew That spaski's team would not have rehearsed a response to, that so by going you, know contradictory or maybe more against the. Grain, yeah he Beat. Spaski and then, oh and then the rumble in the. Jungle remember when All lee went on the.
Speaker 6: Ropes he rope it.
Speaker 14: Round, oh we thought we were watching it on closed, circuit my, dad and we thought he was. Dead and then right around round, five my dad, said, nah he tricked.
Speaker 3: HIM i thought that they were going to stop the. FIGHT i thought That alli was taking that much of a punishment that you, know he was getting, brutal.
Speaker 2: BRUTALIZED i thought they were going to stop the. Fight but what else do you have to?
Speaker 5: Say?
Speaker 2: Game, oh and.
Speaker 14: This remember you'll remember this. Game and this is one game THAT i. CRIED i was so. Frustrated the nineteen seventy Two Olympic, games the gold medal basketball game The United states And. Russia those they fixed that.
Speaker 5: Game that was.
Speaker 3: Fixed, well they kept trying to fix the outcome because they would be like they were giving The Soviet union like three, tries and they eventually scored to win the gold medal what a. Shame and, uh you, KNOW i applaud THE us team that SAID i don't want that silver because we earned the.
Speaker 2: Gold we don't want that silver.
Speaker 14: Medal.
Speaker 3: Uh let's see surge In. Oregon, hey what's, Up?
Speaker 2: Dan and that's that.
Speaker 6: Surgeon.
Speaker 4: Bro, Hey, dan the other DAY i heard you going along a little rant about The raiders should have Taken.
Speaker 14: Mendoza, Wow, Bro LIKE i think everybody a reader nation just got off their.
Speaker 2: No, no, no hold.
Speaker 3: ON i would consider all. Options, okay it that's WHAT i. Said you need more than just having a franchise, quarterback and you don't have the. Infrastructure there can be death for a young. Quarterback SO i, said what if somebody's gonna blow you, away if you're The, raiders would you consider?
Speaker 2: That AND i would.
Speaker 3: ABSOLUTELY i don't want to draft a quarterback and then build my own offensive. LINE i want to build my offensive line and then try to get my. Quarterback so that's that's WHAT i. Said so it's in.
Speaker 14: Context, Okay, yes so you did say, That, yes you actually did say.
Speaker 6: That.
Speaker 13: Dan you better start blowing real hard down BECAUSE i, mean, LIKE i, mean we have like one like one hundred and eighteen meal top.
Speaker 15: Three like most salary cap we go buy a couple pieces on the office and kind of have.
Speaker 3: That well you should have done that last year, Too, Yes. Pauli The Buffalo bills.
Speaker 16: Are finalizing a deal to MAKE Oc Joe brady their new head.
Speaker 15: Coach according To Adam, Schefter.
Speaker 2: Oh, see, Okay Joe, brady he was AT.
Speaker 15: Lsu he got a lot of run for The Joe.
Speaker 16: Burrow you're AT.
Speaker 3: Lsu, yeah, no he gets. Promoted, okay good for. Him, Uh bucky And Notre, Dame hey buck.
Speaker 17: Gp lef me turn our radio, down can you guys hear?
Speaker 3: Me?
Speaker 17: Yes and it's another blizzard up. Here BUT i was calling to find Out Notre dame usually does like three concerts a. Year they've already announced two of. Them do you know what your? Insight who the third concert? Is in the middle of? Summer and if it's a big band or a big older, band let's say rock, band won't you guys come back To Notre dame ado your show?
Speaker 2: Again, well who's the? Band?
Speaker 17: Well with your, insights do you know who it?
Speaker 10: Is?
Speaker 7: Yet?
Speaker 2: Yeah i'm GONNA i can we?
Speaker 14: Guess?
Speaker 5: Yeah go?
Speaker 2: Ahead my guess Is Creed.
Speaker 17: BOY i hope you guys are right and by the, way six.
Speaker 2: Foot but you don't. Know, wait, WAIT i don't. KNOW i was calling you, Guys, ollie do.
Speaker 5: You have the.
Speaker 16: Answer i'm seeing That Luke colmbs with other country artists are playing There april, eighteen twenty twenty AC Dc september, fourth twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Six well those are, two he, said there's.
Speaker 15: THREE i don't have a third listed.
Speaker 2: Or a rumor of.
Speaker 3: One, well it could Be, Creed. Bucky, no we won't be coming back To Notre dame for that appear on the driven, Indeed, uh do you REALIZE i played golf With Scott, stapp the lead singer Of, creed and his Son jagger was just. BORN i remember his wife or girlfriend was bringing him onto the golf. Course AND i don't know How jagger's got to be twenty six twenty seven years of. Age i'm guessing maybe older than, that but he named his Son. Jagger do we feel a little smarter today than we did yesterday after we got the analytics?
Speaker 15: Update, NO i feel LIKE i understand What sam was talking. About, ish, okay.
Speaker 6: Maybe have more of an appreciation of.
Speaker 3: Everything, okay all, right that's, fine, fine we have The mike McCarthy, game the first cliche that is. Uttered that's in two hours from, now so we'll be by monitoring that and obviously a focal point for the show.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow i've never.
Speaker 4: Looked forward to A mike McCarthy press conference.
Speaker 5: More THAN i am.
Speaker 3: Today by the, way on this date in nineteen, seventy The steelers Selected Terry bradshaw with the first overall selection in THE nfl. DRAFT i was watching AN nfl draft Where Pete roselle is on the podium and he lights up a.
Speaker 2: Cigarette old School, Yes he's, like.
Speaker 3: Uh with the number one, pick And i'm, like what what's going on?
Speaker 2: Here fired up a? Heater todd would you learn?
Speaker 7: Today cowboys Fan robin and San antonio would love to see McCarthy when A Super bowl with the steel is just at.
Speaker 6: It To Jerry, Jones.
Speaker 2: Satan, woodler the analytics was, Right Marvin bucky doesn't.
Speaker 10: Know.
Speaker 15: Paul we're becoming smart.
Speaker 3: Guys thanks for the phone, calls, emails, tweets the all around support For Fritzie seat And Marv paula yours truly have a Great.
Speaker 2: Tuesday everybody