Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is nick Shot, streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys app. Now Here are Bill Jones, Savannah Humoller, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: Yep, and here we go, Here we go. It is eleven am on Monday.
Speaker 2: You know what that means.
Speaker 4: Let's go.
Speaker 2: It's time to legally tamper right now.
Speaker 3: And that's why Everson Walls is not here on this edition of Mix Shots, brought to you by Miller Lyte. You know why ever since not here is he tamper because he well, no, he takes off. He takes off every eleven a m Monday before the start of the new year and hopes that his phone will ring.
Speaker 5: That's very true.
Speaker 3: He's so busy, even at age whatever he is, in his sixties, he thinks that phone's gonna ring and he'll get an opportunity with an NFL team. Here we go, man, Savannah began, that's right. You need to be You need to be constantly checking that X and seeing what's going on out there.
Speaker 2: I know, I am.
Speaker 5: I'm locked in you guys.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: Yet it's eleven, but they can't legally signing, but well agree, yeah, yeah, so.
Speaker 4: I am back. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So you were on your vacation last week.
Speaker 4: I was went skining.
Speaker 2: Okay, very good, Ready to hit the ground running.
Speaker 4: Now, how was the left it in good conditions?
Speaker 2: I told you Savannah shots last week.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we did do Savannah shots last week.
Speaker 2: Very good.
Speaker 6: We did change a few things. Uh huh, we almost changed the graphics.
Speaker 7: It was.
Speaker 4: It was very hard for me to resist listening, by the way.
Speaker 2: But you did resist.
Speaker 6: I did good, good, full vacation time.
Speaker 4: I didn't want to have to call in, you know, correct anything.
Speaker 2: Uh huh. Good thing. Dalton Schultz isn't here right now? As the tour.
Speaker 5: Goes by, very true. I don't did you hear about that?
Speaker 4: I don't know. Somebody pointed out to me, yes.
Speaker 3: I wasn't going to talk about this on this edition of Mixed John's. But the tour walked by the podcast studio made me think of Dalton Schultz for some reason, and I got some hot sports opinions about that too.
Speaker 4: Still, but hurt that they didn't resign him.
Speaker 3: The second I have to go sign an autographic. Yeah right, and someone's banging on the window.
Speaker 4: And hopefully no one knocks on the window to disturb me lifting weights.
Speaker 2: By the way, can I say something about that?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, Okay, back in the nineties where the Cowboys are winning Super Bowls, you know what the media rules were in the locker room at Valley Ranch.
Speaker 5: I can't imagine there were many.
Speaker 4: There were none.
Speaker 2: There were none.
Speaker 3: We literally during the season on a Monday, okay, after a game, we literally as a TV station would go get especially if Troy got injured or got banged up a little bit on the Sunday game. We would be set up in the parking lot, the players parking lot at Valley Ranch with a minicam to get Troy walking hobbling into or on crutches or whatever.
Speaker 2: It might be. He didn't even have to be hurt. We're just showing up there.
Speaker 3: And then we would go inside the locker room and we would sit in the locker room for three hours until players players had to report by noon. And these players are complaining or one player is complaining about a two who are coming by and looking at the weight room. I mean, we used to sit in the locker room and they had no problem winning Super Bowls back then.
Speaker 4: And once they started winning super Bowls, by the way, excess ended every Tom, Dick and Harry was in the locker room selling stuff like we ended up being somewhat friend. Uh we we nicknamed him jewelry Man. He was coming in selling jewelry to the players, custom made, right, Yeah, the people that were selling like custom made suits would be in there selling their wares.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: It was no telling how many people were in that locker room selling stuff to players.
Speaker 3: And and there's a supposed there is a narrative going around that the culture is horrible.
Speaker 2: Now, yes, I mean, give me a break.
Speaker 4: It's a it's a it's a bad excuse. It's like trying. It's like giving them a soft pill to lay their heads on for losing to Green Bay. Yeah, that had nothing to do with it.
Speaker 2: Nothing.
Speaker 5: Schultz was just a little salty.
Speaker 4: Well he he was.
Speaker 3: And I don't even I didn't even I didn't listen to the podcast. I just saw the I didn't even see the clip. I just so I don't know even know what context he set it in. I'm just seeing the headlines that Dalton Schultz saw about the culture and so I'm going to assume that he just presented it on the podcast as hey, this was kind of weird, but you know, didn't think anything of it, because that's not distracting to a player to have people walking around.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: And if it is, then go find another job, go to Houston. It's a good thing. It's a good thing. They're not in that.
Speaker 2: And oh, by the way, they have had three straight twelve win seasons.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it only distracts them when they.
Speaker 2: Lose, that's right. It only just strikes them in the playoffs.
Speaker 4: Like come to me in the newspaper business when you're on deadline at an NBA game and you're sitting courtside with sixteen thousand people in the game, and you're trying to compose a story while the game's going on. By the way, and there's sixteen thousand people screaming, come with me and let me know about a distraction, right, you're playing football.
Speaker 3: But I mean, it's just so comical because in the nineties there was so much better access to these players from whether it's media people, as you said, people trying to sell them stuff that I mean, now they're in a whole separate wing and there's a forty five minute availability where the players know when that availability is, so if they don't have to go in the locker room at while the media is in there and until or where others are in there.
Speaker 4: Valley Ranch until the players started like getting in trouble, right.
Speaker 3: That's what That's what stopped the access when they walked in the back door of Valley Ranch where they entered the facility.
Speaker 4: We each TV or newspaper. We had three offices back there, and they had to walk by the door to our offices so I could sit in mind. We'd leave the outside door open and they would walk in, and I can see when people were coming in. I can see when they were coming in late, and I can see when they were going out on crutches. All right, we had but every morning news the Fort Worth Star Telegram.
Speaker 2: You were with the Times Herald then, and I was with the.
Speaker 4: Times Herald at the time. So don't give me that.
Speaker 2: Anyways. I didn't I didn't way to go.
Speaker 4: I didn't expect I didn't expect that.
Speaker 2: I just the tour got me.
Speaker 4: Perfectly right, all right.
Speaker 3: So as I continually update what's going on on my X account, what are your thoughts as we kick this legal tampering period off.
Speaker 6: You know, I actually think we should uh see if we want to have any people text in today, give us your thoughts. Who should the Cowboys potentially resign? Who are some free agents that you would maybe like to see as great additions to the twenty twenty four Cowboys roster.
Speaker 4: Now from the Cowboys standpoint, you can resign your own guys right. You don't have to wait. Guys that are going to be right free agents.
Speaker 3: And by the way, the signings that you're hearing about right now, even where Russell Wilson goes to the Steelers now, it won't become official until Wednesday. The Broncos gave him permission to talk with other teams. But then others have been released players, and so that's why signings are happening right now.
Speaker 2: Even official signings.
Speaker 3: Are happening right now because they're not unrestricted free agents. They're street free agents.
Speaker 4: But let's put this in perspective. By the way, because the Cowboys were over the salary cap until they restructured Zach Martin's contract and put money in voided years down the road, that they're going to have to eventually account for it's not like free money, and by doing that, when it comes to and right now on the thirteenth, the salary cap per team only counts for the top fifty one players, meaning the top fifty one salaries on your ninety man roster. So when it comes to that, after that restructure, the Cowboys have eight million dollars in cap space, So it's not like they can go out and just splurge and start signing guys left and right. They've got to be very careful because their priority would be right now is to redo ceed Lamb's contract because he's counting seventeen million on his fifth year option. You would like to sign him to a long term deal. You pay him some money so that would give you more space in the salary cap because he'll only get like a one point five million dollar base salary and then the accumulated signing bonus pro rated over five years. So to me, when they start spending money, that's somewhat the first priority. The second priority would be Michaeh Parsons thinking down the line, although you don't really need to deal with that, and then deciding what you're gonna do with Dak Prescott. Are you going to just restructure his base salary and spread it over a couple of years, or are you going to try to re sign him? And initially from what I was told is they wanted to restructure the final year of his contract, so we got to see what happens there and then just kind of making decisions on what are you going to do on your own guys, because they got some tough decisions to make. When you have sixteen unrestricted free agents and half of those guys are starters, are you going to try to resign some of these guys or what kind of decisions are you making down the road with counting on young guys who haven't been starters yet. So to me, those are the biggest things that cowboys have to decide along with. You know, it got reported that they gave Michael Gallup's agent, uh the right to search for a trade, But trade or cut, you still got to count for his dead money. And everybody keeps talking about Bill about if they cut him post June first, which you don't get the money until June first, you're gonna save this amount of money. But even if you save that money this year, he's going to count eight million dollars in dead money next year, and so no one points.
Speaker 3: That out right, And so yeah, you can tell Michael Gallup that you give him permission to go seek a trade. Well, that essentially tells Michael Gallup what his market value is out there right when he find when his agent finds out that there's no one interested in that contract at that price whatever.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 3: To your point, you trade him and you and if the Cowboys do have in mind to make him a post June first cup, well, the Cowboys have to accept the terms of a trade. Even if he found a trade partner, the Cowboys have to accept the terms of that trade. And what factors into that is what Michael gallup salary cap hit would be, because they cannot now save that nine and a half million dollars and make him post You.
Speaker 4: First cut the dead money immediately Comedia comes due, So you would have to The team trading for him would say, huh.
Speaker 2: They're going to have to pay more of a price.
Speaker 4: You want to get rid of them, So we're only going to give you this. But the Cowboys are thinking, we got to absorb this amount of dead money. We want more in a trade, right, exactly. And so that's a tricky deal right there. It's not as easy as everybody thinks it is, because when you trade a guy, all the dead money immediately escalates into your.
Speaker 3: So I think that that is part of the negotiating process with Michael. It gives him if it's true, indeed is true, they give you permission to go talk to other teams, if to see if there is a trade interest out there. His agent finds out there is none, let's say, and then Michael is in a position where because the Cowboys may be offering him some sort of a pay cut to stay on the team, which would restructure his deal basically, and they could save that money and turn it into because he's got like eight million dollars that is his base salary for this year.
Speaker 4: It's eight point five and four million of it is due guaranteed on March eighteenth.
Speaker 2: Which is the fifth day of the new year.
Speaker 4: And you would like to have something something by next Monday by then, yeah, exactly. So that's probably one of their other obviously priorities, other than trying to resign their own guys. But again, and even if they you know, it's not like they found free money under the cap to restructure Zach Martin's deal, because after twenty two twenty five, there's three voided years in there where they automatically void, but you're dumping restructure money into those three years, and your your credit card is going to come do in those voided years and five you said after twenty twenty, okay, And.
Speaker 2: That is what they would say.
Speaker 3: If they did a restructure of Dak's contract, Dak Prescott's contract, they would be adding voided years on the end of it to stack money down the road.
Speaker 2: It's going to come due at some point. It's just going to be in a future year.
Speaker 4: So if that's there a definition of all in, then you got all that.
Speaker 3: And so their other option on Dak is okay, you sign him. Sign If you're going to sign Dak to a contract extension, he is in line to become the highest paid player in NFL history, okay, because you look at the quarterbacks that have been signed with his resume, and all of these quarterbacks are like that, from Joe Burrow to Justin Herbert to Lamar Jackson Jalen Hurts, who have all signed. You look at the pecking order, and the most recent of those franchise quarterbacks to sign with Joe Burrow five years, two hundred and seventy five million dollars. That's fifty five million dollars a year. And you go back and look at the last eight to ten of those over the last couple of years, and they're all going up. The average annual salary goes up about two million dollars a year. So the next one to sign, whether it's Dak or Tua or Jared Goff, whoever it might be, cousins, okay for a I'm talking for a five year contract, right, you know you're going to be in the vicinity of fifty seven million dollars a year. So five years, two hundred and eighty five million dollars.
Speaker 4: And you better not make a mistake, right, Denver Bread And there you go.
Speaker 2: Russell Wilson, he's on that list.
Speaker 3: It was a five year, two hundred and forty five million dollar contract that he signed August of twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: And they are on the hook for eighty.
Speaker 3: Four million dollars in dead money dead money this year and next.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they didn't wait till June first.
Speaker 3: And so the Steelers are just are signing him to a one point two million dollar contract, which is the veteran minimum, and the Broncos are paid him the rest of his money that's due this year too. And it's not just dead money he's getting. He's getting money from all.
Speaker 4: The Cowboys did that with oh, the Cincinnati quarterback Andy Dalton, because Cincinnati released him, but he had guaranteed money, so he was getting paid millions. And the Cowboys signed him for basically the veteran minimum of about one point five million, just like you pointed out, because they already's getting his money so he didn't need it.
Speaker 2: So here we go.
Speaker 3: We're just getting started on this seventy And how about we take a break. Okay, check Twitter and see what's happening, if anything's breaking as we speak.
Speaker 4: And see if somebody's trying to Savannah's attention.
Speaker 2: Yep, what is that text number there, Savannah?
Speaker 6: The text line number is eight one seven two nine zero three two nine.
Speaker 2: Eight and mix shot.
Speaker 3: It's brought to you by a Miller. Lite continues in a moment.
Speaker 8: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: And they snapped the press guy who looks right, it's not there. He escaped flapped. He'll love full a first down.
Speaker 8: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 3: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 8: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 8: Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 9: We know that juicy, cheesy, grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound like something is missing.
Speaker 10: Pepsi baby, the yin to this Burger's Yang.
Speaker 9: Burgers and pepsi go together like like Burger's and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of let us, every sesame seed on the bun, and every sip of that crisp refreshing, ice cooled Kola a.
Speaker 5: Journey to fotopia. Burgers better with pepsi, That's what I like.
Speaker 10: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces. Since the Civil War, fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 7: Did you know they're responding to one spam call can lead to more? Or that the IRS would never ask for your Social Security number on the phone. Beat scammers at their own game. By subscribing to AARP Fraud Watch Network, Alerts and Tech. At AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX, you can sign up to receive information that helps you recognize and avoid the latest scams. That's a RP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX, demitt.
Speaker 6: Shuts kpost roofing and Waterproofing, the official roofer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: But on a bomb, But on a bomb, But on a bomb.
Speaker 3: I think this is the first post eleven AM legal tampering report of a contract agreement that I've seen. There's been rumors out there, but there is This is the first I've seen of a contract agreement, and it could affect what the Cowboys are looking at here at the running back position, as former Eagles running back DeAndre Swift apparently is signing a three year deal worth twenty four million dollars with the Chicago Bears. So three years, twenty four million for DeAndre Swift. The other reports out there, Saquon Barkley is being courted by the Philadelphia Eagles and the Houston Texans. And so there's the early reports on running backs and what the running back market looks like.
Speaker 4: And here's something that I think people need to keep in mind. As I pointed out, when it comes to the top fifty one, the Cowboys have like eight million dollars in cap space. Normally, when you start a season, after you pay your draft picks or whatever your rookie salary cap is, you like to start the season with about eight to ten million dollars in cap space because you're going to have things you got to pay for as you go, operating costs as you go through the season. So, like I said, and it's kind of always a fluid moving number, but right now, the estimate is for the top fifty one they have eight million dollars in space. Now, how about this for comparison, especially when you're trying to re sign some of your own guys. The Washington Redskins have ninety six million dollars in cap space ninety six. Number two is Tennessee with eighty million, the Patriots seventy two, the Bears sixty three, and Houston that you just mentioned looking for who was it to try to take one Barkley have sixty three million in cap space. So it's like, not only are the Cowboys short handed, but there's all these other teams that have so much money that they can't even bargain with a guy if some like to compete to sign somebody like Saquon Bartley, because these teams have so much money. You saw what Buffalo did, right, They cut like three or four starters because they needed to get under the salary cap by Wednesday. So the teams that have a lot of money can overpay these guys to get them, and you can't. You'll lose out on the negotiation if it indeed comes down to money. So while the Cowboys would like to resign some of their guys, boy say Dan Quinn, let's just use this as an example, say he wants to go after Dorence Armstrong kind of likes a guy that, over the past two years has totaled I believe, sixteen.
Speaker 3: Sacks, and they have a need for an drusher there. They've lost Chase Young and Montes Sweat here in the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: And they got six months.
Speaker 4: They can give him a three year, forty million dollar deal and the Cowboys can't even come close to match it.
Speaker 6: And that's why the Cowboys have to be essentially very strategic with their decisions here, because you, I mean, you have these guys that are now on the market that and you have teams with an exponential amount of money, and the Cowboys have to play their cards right if you want to keep some of these great starters that we have.
Speaker 4: As producer Supreme Chris said before we started the show, the Cowboys will be shopping at Dollar General.
Speaker 2: He's always good for a good line, his.
Speaker 4: Producer, Supreme, I'm going to steal it too, okay.
Speaker 3: The sixteen unrestricted free agentcy Cowboys have on the offensive side of the football, running backs Tony Pollard and Rico Dawdell, offensive tackle Tyron Smith, center Tyler Biattish, offensive tackle, Chuma Edoga tight end, Sean McEwan defense, cornerback, stuff On Gilmore, Jordan Lewis, c J Goodwin's.
Speaker 2: Special teamer, Noah Igbanoghany.
Speaker 3: Safety, j Ron Curse, edge rushers Dorance Armstrong and Dante Fowler, defensive tackles Jonathan Hankins and Neville Gallimore, and then the long snapper Trent Sig. There are your sixteen unrestricted free agents whose phones are ringing off the hook right now.
Speaker 4: So to me, their biggest priorities among that from that list is they've got to decide what's going to go on on the offensive line.
Speaker 6: That I agree, Tyron Smith is the big money man right there.
Speaker 5: He's priority.
Speaker 2: And I wonder the name there's Tyler Biattish to your star.
Speaker 4: Those two guys, And I wonder what teams think the market value is for a offensive tackle who's going into his fourteenth year. Yes he is at thirty three, Yes se gonna be.
Speaker 2: Thirty four thirty four in December.
Speaker 4: What's the market value? Because everybody's acting like the Cowboys can't And.
Speaker 2: What did he play for last year? It was a one year, six million dollar deal.
Speaker 4: Right which, by the way, because of how they structured all that. When it comes to dead money this year, the Cowboys already have fourteen million in dead money. Six million it is restructure bonus for Tyron Smith and six million of it is restructure bonus four Ezekiel Elliott. So there's twelve million of the fourteen million in dead money.
Speaker 3: And the other thing that has to be factored in for any team that's looking into Tyron is they get number of games that he's missed. And over the last four years he has played in.
Speaker 2: Thirty. So I got it written down well out.
Speaker 4: Here, here's the deal. Though he missed an entire season because of a surgery he needed.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we talked about this last week. He hasn't played a full season since twenty fifteen.
Speaker 4: You know what, and that doesn't bother me. If I can get Tyron Smith for thirteen to fourteen game, which is what.
Speaker 2: You had him last year, for thirteen.
Speaker 4: Games, if the money's right, he's here.
Speaker 3: Well, here's an example to answer your question. And by the way, the numbers the last four years, he's missed fifty five percent of the games, which includes the one year where he was out, so he's missed thirty six out of sixty six games the last four years, but he played thirteen this past year. Answer your question on a veteran offensive tackle is a great example of a team that won the Super Bowl, and that's the Kansas City Chiefs last year they lost to Orlando Brown. In pre agency, actually signed two offensive tackles, Joan Taylor, who came from Jacksonville for big money to start on the right side, and Donovan Smith, who had played at Tampa Bay around the same age as Tyron Smith. He wound up playing twelve games, starting twelve games for Kansas City this past year, and his contract was three million dollars base base. His contract was three million dollars. So when Jerry talks about and let's just we can use Tyron Smith as an example here. Jerry on the Cowboys bus at the scouting combine his annual State of the Cowboys press briefing, he talked about being all in and his definition of all in and for instance, you got one say you've got a free agent and there's X amount of dollars that that free agent will command. Okay, Well, his definition of all in might be you can get three other players, whether it be free agents or draft picks who you can pay the same amount of money that you would pay for one player you could play you could pay for three players. Let's take, for instance, let's say Tyron got a nine million dollars a year offer. Okay, I'm just throwing that out there. Nine million dollars where you come a nice round figure. You can make it six million like he did last year.
Speaker 2: You can then.
Speaker 3: When I read Jerry on this the way he looks at it, look we'll call it six million, which was Tyron's contract last year. You could then instead of signing that one player, you could have three players. A first round draft pick, the twenty fourth pick last year made two point four His salary cap hit last year was two point four million dollars. That was Tay Banks. Deontay Banks, a cornerback. Okay, that's two point four million. You could sign a Donovan Smith, a veteran offensive tackle.
Speaker 2: I mean, let's say that.
Speaker 3: Let's say that first round draft pick is a Marius Mems or Tyler Goeidon offensive tackle who's projected to go about that place in the draft. You could also sign an offensive tackle like a Donovan Smith for around three million dollars.
Speaker 2: A veteran guy.
Speaker 3: You could also sign a veteran center type. Okay, how about Evan Brown who started last year for the Seattle Seahawks made two and a.
Speaker 2: Half million dollars last year. You get that's an example of it get more for Well, I'm not saying.
Speaker 6: You're getting more bang for your buck with the people, and I'm not.
Speaker 3: Even saying that it's more bang for your buck. That's another way of looking at it. Okay, it remains to be seen whether it's more bang for your buck. You have to see how well these players play. But that's an example of getting three players, whether they be free agents or draft picks, for the price of one free agent, and it may be a better deal to go get to go ahead and sign Tyron Smith rather than the other three. I'm not saying it's one versus the other, but that is an example putting names on those positions.
Speaker 4: And if you look at so here's the big decision there. Number one, they've got to find out what market value is for Tyron Smith. Because Tyron Smith's going to find out what market value is for.
Speaker 3: And market value may be different this year than it was last year because salary caps went up thirty million dollars this year right across the league, go back to Washington.
Speaker 4: They got ninety six million dollars in space. They can make a ten to twelve million dollar mistake and it's a drop in the bucket. Right. They can speculate and they could be wrong, but it doesn't matter because they've got so much space. So what they've got to decide is what's market value for Tyron Smith? And can we match it? If we can't, then what do we do now? Immediately the draft knicks out there as well, on the twenty fourth pick in the draft, you take this offensive tackle, plugging him, he's your starter. What if they decide Tyler Smith moves to left tackle? Yeah, and you're already paying him first round money. Now what do I do it? Guard? Well, guard should be a least expense, a less expensive position. Is TJ Bass ready to take over? There? And do I draft one in the second or third round as insurance and from a salary cap standpoint, Now I've just saved some money. But they've got to make that decision.
Speaker 3: And to Jerry's point on that, those players that are taking the place of players who may be departing in.
Speaker 2: Preaching, they may already be on your roster right now. It may be that they feel like TJ. Bass is ready to be a starter.
Speaker 3: It may be, and it may be that that this offensive line coach just decided that Tyler could be just as effective playing left tackle then as well as as he is at left guard.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: And then the replace you're you've replaced, let's say Tyler Beyottish with someone that's already on your roster.
Speaker 4: Now, Rock Hoffman, do that rather than me going out in freezing or trying to match what somebody's going to pay Tyler Beyotish, who, by the way, is a pro bowler.
Speaker 3: And you got a factor into it injury issues because okay, whether it be Beyoddish, whether it be Tyler Smith. If guys get hurt, then who's stepping in to replace him? And that's all factors into the equation here.
Speaker 4: And the decision on the offensive line to me is so important because the other decision they have to make. And I looked this up and I forgot to write it down, but they only averaged four yards of carry running the football this year. Was it the offensive line? Was it the running back? Was it my running scheme? What caused that because that was the lowest one of the lowest averages per carry for the team in quite some time.
Speaker 5: Interesting.
Speaker 3: And here's the other thing that's interesting about that when you look at the what's the market going to be for Tyler Biottish out there?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Well, the Raiders just signed their center, Andre James three years, twenty four million dollars yesterday. Okay, he was going to be a free agent. He's got forty nine starts the last three years. Beiottish has fifty three starts the last three years.
Speaker 2: All right, so.
Speaker 3: That's three years, twenty four million. We just saw DeAndre Swift running back go for three years twenty four million. So do you want to pay your center three years twenty four million dollars or do you want to pay a running back three years twenty four million?
Speaker 4: And I also saw where the Jaguars just signed Buffalo's starting center. But he's got eight Mitch May years Mitch Morris, Yeah, two years, ten and a half with seven million guaranteed.
Speaker 6: Panthers are expected to release their center Bradley Boseman, who had seven seven career starts.
Speaker 2: Here, there's a lot of centers out on the market.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so to be interesting to see. What So those two decisions, to me are are are just imperative to what the Cowboys decide.
Speaker 3: Lions just signed their Graham Glasgow, who's an interior offensive lineman, three years twenty million, So your the market is being set. And you even look back two years ago, Connor Williams got seven or eight million dollars a year with Miami.
Speaker 4: Right, and that's why the Cowboys and last year Connor mcgovernn with Buffalo. Right. So those are those that are two critical decisions that they have to make, and they've got to decide if those backups this year are ready to be starters.
Speaker 3: So but your answer to the question, would you rather pay three twenty four for a center or a running back?
Speaker 2: Which one?
Speaker 4: I would say the center? If I don't get I mean, whatever the case is on Beyaddish, if I would love to have him back. There's a lot of people that don't value him. I think he's pretty darn good, and he was pretty darn good this year. Now does he get overmatched at times when he's got to go up against a three hundred and forty pound defensive tackle. Yeah, but you know what, there's a reason why that three hundred and forty pound defensive tackles playing because he's pretty damn good. So he's given other centers problems too.
Speaker 2: It's going to be very interesting. So what do you think is the most interesting decision or.
Speaker 3: Position? Is it the offensive tackle offensive line? Or is it running back? Or is it I mean you look at on the defensive side of the football, there's linebacker, there's needs every level.
Speaker 4: What about cornerback?
Speaker 2: Cornerback and defensive tackle?
Speaker 4: Because two of your top four guys or top three guys this year are free agents Stefan Gilmour Jordan Lewis. Now, I know you've got Digs coming back off by the way, a torn acl and you've got Deron Bland. But after those two guys, what do I have? Because I don't see anybody sitting on the bench that's ready to jump in there and be a starter.
Speaker 3: I'll throw whether it's free agency or the draft, I'll throw another edge rusher out there too. Yes, I mean you've got Doran's Armstrong what they're and the Marcus Lawrence is how old?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 4: And so what are your thou what are your thoughts on Sam Williams Because followers also an unrestricted.
Speaker 3: So there, Oh, by the way, wide receiver, if Michael Gallup's gone, there's.
Speaker 2: There's just so much across the board.
Speaker 4: That's why this assumption out there that the Cowboys are gonna win twelve more games. They got a ways to go to be good enough to win twelve games with all the guys they potentially could lose.
Speaker 2: So what's the most solid position right now?
Speaker 4: Quarterback?
Speaker 2: Quarterback?
Speaker 4: I got three of them.
Speaker 2: You got you got Dak Cooper, Rush, and Trey Lance at quarterback.
Speaker 4: And I think the best thing that can happen there is Trey Lance has one hell of an offseason. He has a great preseason, and some guy, some team gets a quarterback hurt and they give me a second round pick for Trey Lance.
Speaker 5: Not bad, that could be a move.
Speaker 2: I'm good with keeping Tree Lance right here, all right, I'm good with that.
Speaker 4: But he's he's on a last year of his deal too, right.
Speaker 2: He is, yep.
Speaker 3: And if he's if he's holding a clipboard all year, what does that do for his market value?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Not much?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And then you got Jacksonville. Jacksonville just traded for a first round quarterback to back up their first round quarterback. Number one overall pick. Trevor Lawrence mac jones went there yesterday.
Speaker 4: The Patriots have now, yeah, Bailey Zappy.
Speaker 2: And they've got the third pick in the draft.
Speaker 6: Okay, you got to go.
Speaker 2: It looks like Drake May would be their quarterback.
Speaker 3: And I'm going to anticipate Caleb goes first, Jaden goes second, Drake May goes third to the Patriots. That's the pecking order right now.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: So Drake May and Bailey Zappi would be your quarterbacks in New England. Okay, so fun to dive into this stuff.
Speaker 4: And by the way, this stuff we're talking about, Yeah, that's what's going on down the hall.
Speaker 2: By the way, this is like we've got a microphone.
Speaker 5: In the right now they're listening in.
Speaker 3: Mickey is just echoing what is Big said, Yeah, right, it is right headphone. He's got producer Supreme in his left headphone. He's got a pipeline down the road.
Speaker 4: I think we're just using common sense.
Speaker 3: There you go, All right, We continue with more mix shots brought to you by Miller Lite in a Moment.
Speaker 10: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. Being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 11: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite.
Speaker 2: What a pairing can cracks?
Speaker 11: A kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday mornings Swagger, Brisket.
Speaker 7: And the Smoker.
Speaker 11: Miller Lite and the Creek, America's team playing America's greatest sports Miller Lite the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football taste like Miller Time Celebrate Responsibly. Twenty twenty three Milerber own Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 7: Did you know they're responding to one spam call can lead to more? Or that the IRS would never ask for your Social Security number on the phone. Beat scammers at their own game by subscribing to AARP FraudWatch Network alerts and texts at AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX. You can sign up up to receive information that helps you recognize and avoid the latest scams. That's AARP dot org slash beat Scammers TX.
Speaker 9: You know that sound anywhere. It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for. Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory.
Speaker 5: Topping, there's no topping of cool PEPSI.
Speaker 9: Finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 5: That's what I like.
Speaker 1: Tomcked Shuts.
Speaker 6: Kenny Chesney is bringing his Son Goes Down twenty twenty four tour with Zach Brownband and special guests Megan Maroni and Uncle Cracker to AT and T Stadium on May eleventh. Tickets are on sale now at sea geek dot com, the official ticketing partner of AT and T Stadium.
Speaker 3: Okay, would you like some more breaking news from the legal tampering period? Absolutely Cowboys related Aaron Wilson is reporting. Per a league source, the Tennessee Titans are expected to sign running back Tony Pollard. How much a Memphis name that it does not have numbers. I'll continue to search that. So, how about that Tony Pollard per league source, according to reports out there headed to the Tennessee Titans, who had a running back who is a free agent out there, Ben who has been linked to a local team.
Speaker 6: Not surprised with his move over to the Titans. Yeah, okay, at Memphis.
Speaker 2: Grew up in Memphis.
Speaker 3: If you could have predicted okay, if he's not going to Dallas, and especially knowing Tony's personality too, you look at a comfort zone for Tony Pollard.
Speaker 2: It would be the Tennessee Titans.
Speaker 4: Although Memphis is not real close to Nashville, it's in the same.
Speaker 2: State, closer than Philadelphia's.
Speaker 4: Is as close as Dallas.
Speaker 2: It's a four hour drive, I think, right for a.
Speaker 5: Half four hours.
Speaker 6: Well, that's interesting news for the Cowboys. But that's the position.
Speaker 4: If I'm an agent, I'm throwing stuff out there, even if it ain't true. What used to happen, by the way, when somebody had a free agent back in the nineties, Oh, the Cowboys are interested, and they weren't, but they'd use that to try to drum up interest. So somebody would say, well, if the Cowboys thinks he's good, oh, I need pay to get this guy, right, I don't want the Cowboys to get them. Got to be careful with some of the stuff that comes out.
Speaker 3: And especially in this legal tampering period. And it's happened before where the reports come out on Monday that so and so is about to sign agree to terms, and that just sends a message to the team, their former team that okay, here's the price for keeping him. And sometimes these players will keep the door open and until three o'clock on Wednesday when they can actually sign the contract. Here's an interesting, a little story I was thinking about just past Tuesday Eve before signing day.
Speaker 2: I guess this is.
Speaker 3: About who would have been ten years ago or so now when DeMarcus Ware was a free agent. And I remember my wife and one of my daughters, maybe two of my daughters, were at a restaurant on the Tuesday night before the Wednesday at the start of the league year, and then they called me and said, we think DeMarcus Ware is in here and he's on he's on the phone, I said, And they had no clue that Mark is where it was a free agent. Yeah, I mean they have no idea. So oh, okay, that's interesting. He's on the phone. Eh, where is he send me a picture? So they send me a picture and uh then there so he was across the way from him. It was like it was like a bar area in a restaurant whatever, and I said, go sit close to it. So anyway, so that was the Tuesday night before he wound up signing with the Broncos. And turns out he was on the phone either with the Broncos or is his agent with the Cowboys whatever, And of course it went right down to the final hour and he wound up signing with the Denver Broncos. But basically the decision was being made. I think at that point the decision was being made by the Cowboys. It wasn't too it would have been to release him.
Speaker 4: They released them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it wasn't an unrestricted free agent.
Speaker 3: It was right before the start of the new year, and they released him like the next day because the negotiations were going on between the Cowboys and him and.
Speaker 4: What happened was he was coming off of I believe it was elbow Century and he had missed, if I remember, a bunch of games, and the Cowboys decided that they couldn't afford him anymore for where he was in his career because they thought it was going to be too expensive from what they were getting because he that year he had a bunch of injuries. And I remember running into him that offseason at some sort of charity function and he basically told me when he finished the season, he his elbow was shot. He couldn't do anything with it and had to have surgery. So I think that was the decision that.
Speaker 2: He had his let he was holding his phone with his left Len.
Speaker 4: And Bill guess what's coming.
Speaker 2: By had another tour coming through.
Speaker 3: Hopefully we can focus here long enough to give you more information on the illegal tampering period.
Speaker 4: I'm hanging in there. They're not distracted, but anyway, it is already you heard it here first now NFL Network as Tony Pollard agrees to terms with the Tennessee Titans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm curious how much for And there's an example of a guy that Cowboys would love to keep, you know, because he's a good guy also, and not only his production on the field. Michael Gallup falls into that same category of a guy that you love to have as part of your organization.
Speaker 4: And no coincidence, but on my list of salary cap availability, number two behind Washington is Tennessee with eighty million.
Speaker 3: There you go, all right, some numbers are trickling in on Tony Pollard. Would you care to wager a guess as to what the numbers would be on a three year contract for Tony Pollard? And I'll give you a hint. If DeAndre Swift got three years twenty four million dollars in Chicago, what did Tony Pollard get?
Speaker 2: What was gonna see?
Speaker 4: I was before you said three twenty four, I was going to say three twenty five.
Speaker 3: All right, three years worth twenty four million dollars. It's funny exactly if you if you track these things, the market got set by DeAndre Swift and okay and especially Wow, here's the other thing where it's smart for guys. If you're getting offered this kind of money at this point in free agency, and when you got as many running backs on the market as they're there are this year, you better take that and where can I sign?
Speaker 4: And the key the key thing is the guarantee.
Speaker 2: And I haven't seen what the guarantee is.
Speaker 4: Because I bet it's at least half guaranteed, which would mean you know, I'm going to make twelve million dollars this year at least.
Speaker 6: I think A Swifts was sixteen million guaranteed.
Speaker 4: Okay, and who signed him?
Speaker 12: Chicago, Chicago, So I've bet wait Pollard is to let me look at my list. Number four in availability was the Chicago Bears with sixty three million dollars.
Speaker 3: The Minnesota Vikings are signing Texans pass rusher Jonathan Grenard had a big year last year. Danil Hunter, their pass rusher, will not be returning to the Minnesota Vikings.
Speaker 2: So if you want to look at now.
Speaker 3: This obviously is a very high dollar pass rusher. He is not coming to Dallas.
Speaker 2: Right. I can't even know Mike Zimmer drafted him. Yeah right, I would love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I loved I loved him in the draft, Big Green Notebook, loved them some d'aneil Hunter and couldn't figure out why he went late third round. That's why I love Mike Simmer. Mike Zimmer was the one figured it out.
Speaker 4: Ye, which, speaking of that, when the Cowboys uh picked up Michaeh. Parsons fifty year option, they picked it up as a defensive end because the defensive end fifty year option was twenty four million dollars, No, twenty one million dollars. And if they picked it up as a linebacker, it would have been twenty four million dollars. And if you look at the season in review here and what do they list the Cowboy Michael Parsons as a linebacker. But they picked him up as a defensive end, and the leading that they're thinking he's playing defensive end.
Speaker 13: Either by the way, the league sets that, by the way, make you know that right the position that you played the majority of it. Yes, the the NFL, the league will set that that that mark for the team. So they do not have a choice in that.
Speaker 2: So oh okay, it depends on yeah.
Speaker 13: Yes, so the number number of snaps, the league will come in and say, this guy is set as this.
Speaker 4: So you can't do what I was suggested.
Speaker 13: No, No, the league set him as a defens is a guard? Now the league, the league sets.
Speaker 4: That for the player. Okay, thank you.
Speaker 13: And also, by the way, Bill Callahan is the off of the line coach for the Tennessee Titans now, so I think Tony will have a very good year with the Tennessee for sure.
Speaker 4: So that suggests that they're not bringing back Derrick Henry.
Speaker 2: That would suggest say, yes, yes.
Speaker 13: Well, I think the last game he did like a speech in the middle of the field saying goodbye.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I kind of figured that was when.
Speaker 2: He was leaving.
Speaker 3: So let me see where the how the Titans look at offensive tackle with Bill Callahan there?
Speaker 4: How old is and how much?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, how much?
Speaker 4: Guess who was his first offensive Linton?
Speaker 3: Uh huh?
Speaker 4: The way Tyron Smith's first offensive line Callahan and became the offensive coordinator if I remember for one year?
Speaker 2: That's right?
Speaker 4: How about that? And oh, let me continue to point out how much money they had available?
Speaker 2: How much was it eighty? I think you said eighty?
Speaker 4: I said eighty.
Speaker 2: Yes, their left tackle is Nicholas Pettit Frere Fatituere third round pick two years ago. Not Patiti, Rob Petiti.
Speaker 4: That Patiti, uh huh or this pa Tity.
Speaker 2: What a great story.
Speaker 3: Rob Patiti was for one year, for one year he was started at right tackle and then he left or he was this pit he could Bill Parcells. That's right, Yeah, all right, did we use up our No?
Speaker 4: We got over time.
Speaker 3: We know we got we got plenty of times.
Speaker 2: I'm just waiting to see who's gonna sign next, you know. So when do the Cowboys enter the fray?
Speaker 5: I think it'll be a slow.
Speaker 4: When does the dollars next week?
Speaker 13: Jim?
Speaker 4: Well, they got to make a decision, and you know, cornerback too. You got to decide what you're doing.
Speaker 3: A former Green Bay or a former Mike McCarthy player in Green Bay. A left tackle is being released by the Green Bay Packers, David Bactieri.
Speaker 4: He's been hurt, Yes, he has been heard. Is more than the and Tyron Smith. So on your long list over there, Savannah.
Speaker 5: Yes, is there our free agents?
Speaker 4: Those are the free agents you got?
Speaker 6: I mean a couple guys that are on my list right now that are pretty up there for me, is Jonathan Hankins being one of them. I think that's a big move that the Cowboys need to decide on, especially when it comes to our run defense and then what are we going to do with you know, I think Dorance Armstrong, Jordan Lewis, those are kind of the guys I'm keeping my eyes on.
Speaker 4: Well, if you think about it with Jonathan Hankins, now you've got to decide number one, what is market value is number two, what sort of trust do you still have in Mozzi Smith because you've got him on the team. You're going to pay whatever his second year salary is as a first round pick. Now do they really think he can second year make that jump to be that guy or does Jonathan Hankins have to be signed as.
Speaker 5: Insurance and then Stefan Gilmore And.
Speaker 4: Then Gilmore is there, and we mentioned the cornerbacks, right, you need four corners and right now they have two and one's coming back from a torn acl right, So that's a position of I would think of somewhat concern because you can't fake that position there, you can't cover that position. You will get exposed, as we saw by the way in the playoff game, because they did not have another corner to replace that they trusted to replace Stefan Gilmore who's playing with a harness on his shoulder that needed surgery.
Speaker 6: And then I think also there's the need to fill the linebacker position, yes, and I think it's signing a very good veteran free agent, and then you draft someone in the second or third round.
Speaker 4: And that's regardless if they think Overshown can come in and be productive, which, by the way, he's coming off a torn.
Speaker 6: AC and that's going to be a lot of development for him in that position, right, getting used to things after the ACL injury, and then getting accustomed to playing that position.
Speaker 4: As a full time linebacker, not a guy that they thought they could rotate in in Nixon packages Nickel situations.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so a lot of eyes on defense for me in free agency and the draft.
Speaker 4: This here, Well, if I gave up forty one points in that playoff game, I'd be looking at my defense too, and everybody's not really focused on that.
Speaker 2: You know what's top of mind from me? Okay, Derrick Henry?
Speaker 4: You want him? How old is he?
Speaker 2: Let me look up how old Derrick Henry?
Speaker 4: Wait?
Speaker 6: Wait, wait, I think I have it. Actually he thirty, he's twenty nine.
Speaker 3: I'm not talking money here. I have no idea what the money is I want?
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's say the money's it's more. It's going to be more than what Pollard signed for.
Speaker 5: I believe he's thirty.
Speaker 4: Do you want what going on thirty one or thirty?
Speaker 3: He January fourth he turned thirty, so he'll be thirty thirty throughout the season basically.
Speaker 4: And Tennessee would rather have Tony Pollard than Derrick Henry. Is that what you're telling me?
Speaker 2: Well? At what price is Derrick Henry asking for?
Speaker 4: Exactly?
Speaker 2: So, yeah, they would.
Speaker 3: Rather have Tony Poulard. Obviously, they would rather have Tony Pollard at three years, twenty four million dollars than whatever Derek Henry's asking for.
Speaker 4: Since I'm already paying six million dollars for Ezekiel Elliott in dead money?
Speaker 2: Did you just go ahead and bring Zeke back for.
Speaker 4: Can I bring them back for three million?
Speaker 5: Not a bad thought?
Speaker 4: That's what he made with New England.
Speaker 2: That's right, I'm home.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: So do you think the Cowboys will let the Wave pass on running backs?
Speaker 2: And then because there's a bunch of them out.
Speaker 4: There and I could draft one day two, yep, And probably, as we've seen, you can find a good running back on day two and if there's a great one on day one, bring them in. I don't want to hear that anymore. What what did Detroit do last year? First round?
Speaker 3: They went running back and linebacker, two positions you're not running back and inside linebacker, two positions you're not supposed to draft in the first round, right, and they did both.
Speaker 6: And that now being a plot, I feel like a paid off for am Let's be honest.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that turnout to the player is That's why I'm intrigued by Derrick Henry. It's because of who the player is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that would be fine, but I can't afford eight million dollars for a running.
Speaker 2: Back, right.
Speaker 5: I like Austin Eckler.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now that I like Josh Jacobs.
Speaker 6: I like him and I think a lot of people miss the fact that he led the league in touchdowns in twenty twenty one and twenty twenty two.
Speaker 5: I think last year he had the injury issues.
Speaker 2: See.
Speaker 4: I think I think it could be a good thing they are charging See.
Speaker 3: I think what has happened is sort of a secondary market has been set with the three years, twenty four million on running backs with Swift and Pollard. Now it's going to be interesting what's Barkley getting. Henry thinks that he's in even at his age, he's in Barkley territory. Barkley's what four years younger, and he is I don't know, probably twenty six, Okay, Josh Jacobs, Austin Eckler, whatever, that's that bunch right there are probably going for more than three for twenty four unless.
Speaker 6: They're now you have the market set, so yeah, now you've.
Speaker 3: Got you've got the bottom end of the top market set. I think because bottom bottom end of the top end.
Speaker 4: If I, if I had the money available, Barkley would be top of my LIGs right age.
Speaker 2: Pretty effective catching, I mean running in receiving.
Speaker 3: That's the thing on Henry is that he didn't catch the ball out of the backfield much.
Speaker 4: And Barkley played on a offensive line that wouldn't all that great. But I like them.
Speaker 2: But there is an injury factor with Barkley too. Yep.
Speaker 6: So however, also, I think last year too, a lot of the conversations were around having a running back that was a bigger build to.
Speaker 5: Run through.
Speaker 6: I think Tony Pollard he had more of the abilities to catch the ball and then make some runs. But I think conversations last year where we didn't have like a bigger body to actually get down there.
Speaker 3: We can do it, but to ask him to do it on a regular basis over a seventeen game season.
Speaker 2: Is a lot.
Speaker 4: What I like about Eckler, by the way, is he has the ability to make people miss. And if you watch the playoffs, the running backs that were productive made people miss. And I didn't think the Cowboys had that ability this last year. Like, get in the hole and make somebody miss. You don't have to break, but how about making somebody miss? And we didn't see a heck a lot of that, right, So that's my priority running back.
Speaker 3: All right, So I'm taking one more swing through to see if there's anything else of note that we need to pass along.
Speaker 2: And I'm not saying anything right now.
Speaker 3: We're running saying anything on Savannah that needs not a.
Speaker 5: Whole lot at this moment.
Speaker 3: All right, guys, Ever, since says as soon as we sign off, there will be a big.
Speaker 2: Thing that happens.
Speaker 6: I'm waiting for the Everson Walls news to come in.
Speaker 2: That's right, Yeah, that might be it right there.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, it's gonna things are going to change quite a bit between now and the next time we convene next Monday at eleven am.
Speaker 2: Which that's when the Cowboys enter the Dollar Store, right, and.
Speaker 4: Bill will be entering baseball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm in.
Speaker 3: I'm headed to surprise Arizona this afternoon as a matter of fact, to check in on those world champion Rangers. So you can watch on TXA twenty one tomorrow afternoon at three.
Speaker 4: I will Okay, make sure you take care of that pitching staff.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, they've got some injured, injured arms on that pitching staff that won't be along until after the Lustro.
Speaker 4: That's why they need some guys to take care of it for half the season.
Speaker 3: All right, That does it to for Savannah Shots for this Monday, we will shout at you again, or they will shout at you again next Monday at eleven am when Derrick Henry is a Dallas Cowboy, Oh Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.