Speaker 1: On this episode of The Heat Check Trade, We've got a trade o g N, and Ob goes to New York for r J. Barrett Emmanuel quickly a couple of other pieces, but ones that not even ESPN is putting on their lower third. So I will not even mention AKA Malachie Flynn. I'm sorry, Malackie Flynn. Shout out to you. Also, we are off to a hot trade season. What the fuck are the Brooklyn Nets doing? We'll talk about that the hit me of the week, and we'll also get into some news around the league, including an incredible James Johnson's story courtesy of you, Donnis Haslam and bam ade Bio watch of shit popping right now. I wondered whether I could cuss. I don't know where I am right now. I am on my own podcast. Yes I can cuss, So William Jake, Actually Jake dropped that motherfucking beat that should be Rihanna. You're listening to the hottest, the hottest podcast out here. I said what I said, it's the heat Check Check.
Speaker 2: Who's Jake?
Speaker 1: They say, Jake's Jacob who is editing the podcast today?
Speaker 2: Happy twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: New changes are afoot hence the reason that Jake is going to be editing today's podcast. My producer William has to step away for bigger, better opportunities. Please forgive us if things are choppy where echoe as we onboard a new producer who will be with us shortly, should be pretty seamless. I hopefully hope, hope, hope, but I got to be transparent whenever possible. Lots though has happened over the Christmas break. The first thing that we have to talk about is the trade. It finally happened, the big news we've been waiting. It's like John Collins, right, is John Collins the grim Reaper and og Anobi?
Speaker 2: When will the news come down? When will the knock not your mailman? And it will be the og Ananobi trade. We finally got it. Toronto Raptors finally pulled the trigger.
Speaker 1: They send him pressures that Chuia Malechi Flynn to the New York Knicks for RJ. Barrett, Toronto's own Emmanuel Quickly six Man of the Year candidate and a second round pick. There's a lot of people mad about this trade. A lot of New York Knicks fans that are mad. Emmanuel Quickly was beloved. I get that, but he was about to try to make thirty million dollars a year and he's coming up to the end of his contract, and I promise you do not want to pay Emmanuel quickly thirty million dollars when there is a finite amount of resources to pay players. My initial thought is love it. Love it for both sides. Love it most.
Speaker 2: Specifically for the New York Knicks.
Speaker 1: You get a three and D guy who can shoot forty percent from the corner.
Speaker 2: You saw this in the Miami.
Speaker 1: Heat Series when both teams went ice cold from deep. Everyone starts to pack the paint. The passing lanes are more difficult. The driving lanes are more difficult. Why because everyone starts to collapse because they don't respect the shooters. Now you're gonna be able to give the ball to ogn Andobi driving kick out to him, and he's gonna get that respect that he needs.
Speaker 2: Also, his defense, even.
Speaker 1: Though he's not playing as good a defense as he has in prior years, well at least the numbers say that he hasn't. I think that's mostly due to the system that he's playing under with Darko, So there's not more like there's not that many guys that are three and D that could also guard one through five.
Speaker 2: Like they're just not.
Speaker 1: Like, there's not very many lockdown guys that are better than Ognanoby seventh to two Wingspam six seven, big body, very thick, can play multiple positions offensively and defensively, and like I said, lockdown defender. For example, they just played the Minnesota Timberwolves in his first game, hadn't even really read the playbook, had not gone to any practices, barely spoke to Tom Thibodau.
Speaker 2: What's however, And.
Speaker 1: In sixty eight possessions spanning thirteen minutes defending aunt Edwards, he held aunt Edwards to four for fourteen, with three turnovers and zero assists. And that is a guy aunt Edwards that is virtually unstoppable. Fred Katz, he covers the Knicks, he said after Ognnoby's first game. Oh, by the way, only twenty minutes for ognnob three threes, seventeen points, one steal. Anyway, he covers the Knicks. And he said this, you would never guess that Annobe hasn't practiced with the team. He finished with the Knicks debut with seventeen points on three for six shooting from three. The principal reason the Knicks brought him in was his defensive presence, But on Monday, this Knicks offense changed two. When Ognanobi was asked about a trade, he said, when I found out it was the Knicks, I was definitely excited. I've always liked the team. I grew up a fan of basketball, and I've always watched the Knicks. So ognnob now is going to re sign with the Knicks. I promise you that he wants to be in the area. He loves playing for them. He's wanted to go to New York. He may even take less money to be in New York. Jake Fisher reported that ognob is looking for forty million dollars aav but might take less for the Knicks, which is very interesting and something that is setting up Domino's potentially to fall down the road.
Speaker 2: The Domino that I keep hearing about is a long shot.
Speaker 1: But Joel Embi for the Raptors, they needed this, They needed to shake some shit up because they had no shot creator, and now they.
Speaker 2: Do in Emmanuel quickly.
Speaker 1: Emmanuel quickly now goes from the sixth man to the starting point guard for the team. You now move a disgruntle player who's wanted a bigger role for a long time, and you replace him with a couple of players who I think can.
Speaker 2: Really light it up. RJ.
Speaker 1: Barrett. I'm not a huge fan of I'm a huge fan of his game, but maybe he works better on this team, even though they don't have any shooters either. He's averaging eighteen four and two and that shot creation is badly needed for the Raptors. Emmanuel Quickly right now off the bench is giving you fifteen to three and three and twenty four minutes per game. Both are considered to be very high locker room guys. I think the team is going to fall in love with and the fan base is going to fall in love with IQ immediately. They're both very young, young enough to rebuild the team around them. And Scottie Barnes and now Barrett comes home to Toronto. So it's a natural fit to me for a team that's Long Sense, like Long Sense lost its identity. Barrett was sad to leave the team that drafted him, but he said he was happy to come home.
Speaker 2: He said, I'm really excited to be here.
Speaker 1: I'm thankful, I'm blessed I grew up a Raptors fan all my life, so to come here and put the jersey on, it's going to be great. I do think though, as in aside, Zach Lowe made a good point when he said the RJ. Barrett maybe has a toxic asset, Maybe he has a toxic contract, And I think that's probably a fair description for him. He's not a bad play, but he makes a lot of money. And the only reason he got that amount of money is because New York knew that he was a trade piece. He was supposed to be the trade piece to Utah for Donovan Mitchell and they ended up getting og Anobi instead, which I think is a much better fit. By the way, I don't think you have Jalen Brunson and Donovan Mitchell as your back court and you move RJ.
Speaker 2: Bear I don't think that works. You needed a wing. Also.
Speaker 1: The problem though, is that og Anobi is on an expiring so he's going to be looking for forty million dollars a year, and I honestly think OG's going to take less to stay with the team. Tom Crean thinks that this is going to change the entire outlook of the East.
Speaker 2: I don't know about that. I somewhat agree.
Speaker 1: I think og Anobi will absolutely change the complexion of the offense and the defense, but change the entire outlook of the East that's a long shot. I do think he'll flourish in Tibbs's system. I think pressures that you helps them. They need some sort of backup big With Mitchell Robinson out for the year and then Toronto, IQ and Barrett are gonna immediately become starters on a team that struggles to score.
Speaker 2: And the Raps, by the way, would have.
Speaker 1: Loved I'm sure to hold on to og and Andobi, but he was gonna walk for nothing. So it's a good thing that Massia has learned from his mistakes, because you don't want to end up in another situation where you lose a player for nothing, like you did with Fred van Fleet or possibly Pascal Siakam. More on that we gotta keep an eye on as well. Moving on to a bit of old news is like a week old ish, maybe a little longer, but the news of it, the decision of it, the thought process of it is still sticking in my crawl. I don't know why I can't get over it. I don't think other people are getting over it either. It's like just a regular season game, idiot move, but it showcases the dysfunction that I have been hearing about from the Brooklyn Nets for weeks.
Speaker 2: Now nex week's eight weeks.
Speaker 1: All of that to say, what the fuck are the Brooklyn Nets doing? What are they doing? This team is all kinds of fucked up. I can't understand what their philosophy is. I can't understand.
Speaker 2: Why they're doing the things that they do.
Speaker 1: I said the six weeks ago, people didn't believe me, and now thankfully they're showing their ass. Thankfully they're showing their ass. Last Wednesday, this is what happened. The Nets played a Bucks team that has been struggling. It was the nets fifth game in seven days. But let's be honest, this is a very young team. The Bucks are playing their third game in five days, so both teams probably gassed right. The Nets, by the way, at home during the Christmas break, wanted to sell out the arena, put on a show, Yannie Dame, you know the crew, Michel Bridges, Nick Claxton, support them Brooklyn Brooklyn right right, like that's the vibe.
Speaker 2: No wrong, not this Nets team.
Speaker 1: It's grinch time, baby only Cole and you're fucking stalking Why because we want to take the last little shred of hope and desire and fun and excitement that you have for this dog shit team, and we're going to smash it into smithereens. Because why the Nets were like, everyone that you want to see, we're not letting you see besides Giannis and Dame. So the Nets decide to sit Nick Claxton, Spencer, Dinwiddie, Dorian Finney Smith and Cam Johnson. None of those dudes were injured at all. But by the way, they still have mckail Bridges, right, they still have Royce O'Neil, they still have Cam Thomas. Maybe Cam Thomas will put up like sixty five right. No, also not so fast. Jacques Von decided after the first quarter to sit Bridges, Thomas, and O'Neill, and they were down by one point. One point, they were not getting blown out by thirty was like, okay, let's just send in the white flag. No.
Speaker 2: No, it was a competitive game all the way into the middle of the third quarter. Fourth quarter comes round, the Scrubs get gassed. Shocker. They lose by like a million they've trailed by seven and a half time. This is outrageous.
Speaker 1: Not only have fans gone ballistic, not only did they get eviscerated by the nets in the other NBA media even.
Speaker 2: The other players. The players who got bench were like, I don't know what the fuck is going on. Don't ask me. I have no clue what is happening.
Speaker 1: Mikel Bridges was asked about why and his thoughts about why he played only twelve minutes. Did not like the choice, whatever that was, but it's whatever. Definitely was not a fan. How does he feel? What do you think that culture's like right now? When Michel Bridges is like, didn' like that? Whatever that was?
Speaker 2: Yeah, whatever that was. When asked if he needed a rest, he said, no, never need a rest.
Speaker 1: This is a dude who just went viral on TikTok for eating Chipotle every single day for ten straight years. A man of routine started a game every single game for the last five years, maybe the more impressive stat you've ever seen.
Speaker 2: And guess what, and guess what, and they.
Speaker 1: Were like, fuck you, no shot, fuck your Chipotle and your minutes played. Roy O'Neil was also asked about getting benched. And he said, who.
Speaker 2: Doesn't want to play out there?
Speaker 1: I feel like if we had the chance, we would say we don't want to rest. So let's check in on jacque Von. Jacques, why'd you do it? Why would you do that? Considering that it was a home game that coincided with Christmas break when tons of kids would be coming.
Speaker 2: Home to Barclays.
Speaker 1: Jacque Von, are you actually the grinch that stole Christmas?
Speaker 2: And he said, I've got to think short term and long term and.
Speaker 1: Make executive decisions for the betterment of the group. It's unfortunate tonight that they got to the point where we were putting them in harms way by putting them out there tonight.
Speaker 2: What the are we going to war?
Speaker 1: Is? This? Is this Vietnam? Like at Barclay Center? Were there people in the bamboo with sniper rifles? What is happening putting them in harm's way? We are talking basketball, We are talking about a game.
Speaker 2: Are you serious?
Speaker 1: I would like Jaqvon to sit there and tell all eighteen thousand and ninety nine paying customers who packed the arena with the capacity of seventeen thousand, seven and thirty two when this is one of the least sold out arenas in NBA, one of the least watched teams in basketball on TV. But hey, right, don't blame Jacques, blame what the Nets call their quote unquote performance team, which is tasked with figuring things out like load management. I would like to say, as a strong believer in logic that this is one of those games where Sean Marks calls Jacques Vaughn up and says, we need to get some minutes for Noah Clowney what like whoever like these randoms on the team then probably need to be traded. Let's get some additional playing time for Harry Giles and Dayron Sharp and Dennis Smith Junior.
Speaker 2: Maybe it could be a nice.
Speaker 1: Little piece to a contender needing a backup point guard. Let's get Trendon Watford and Dereek Whitehead. Can you imagine you're ten years old, right? Like you like Michale Bridges and Nick Claxton, Right, hell, you even like Cam Thomas and his chuckin' and you go there and you're excited. It's Joannie versus your team, Jannis versus Nick Clackson. Instead, you get a steady dose of Trendon Watford. Do you know fucking pissed. I would be as a kid. Are you serious? Vaughn's trying to play the good soldier. Sean Marks has got his fingers in the mix. He's blaming things on the performance team players have no clue. Nobody's obviously communicating with them what the story is because they're not playing the good soldier either.
Speaker 2: They're saying we're clueless.
Speaker 1: And when when Toll Bridges and Cam Johnson were upset over the decision, guess what Jock Vaughan had to say. This is where it gets more insane. He says, it's just like my kids. That doesn't mean you have to agree with me. I understand I have to make a choice. That's my position as the head coach. But it's just like my kids. Doesn't mean you have to agree with my decision.
Speaker 2: Are we serious?
Speaker 1: These grown men make millions of dollars and if they don't win and get the playing time that they need, that affects their careers. This is not like a kid that wants to sleep over at his friend's house. This is ridiculous. Thankfully, Damon, Giannison, Middleton, and Lopez all played. All Bucks starters played twenty nine or more minutes, even on the road, even in their third game in five days. Let me say this, If it was the other way around, I would have understood it.
Speaker 2: What does Milwaukee care about what Brooklyn fans think?
Speaker 1: But no, they're the ones going out like Kobe Bryant and showing out on a random game against a dog shit team. The Nets have now lost eight of ten games. They are now in danger of what I already saw, which is punting on the entire season. They are perilously close to losing their entire fan base after the toxicity of the last three years. This was supposed to be the year where everyone got excited about the rebuilt, scrappy players, development fun Kenny Atkinson nets, D'Angelo Russell nets, Jered Allen nets, No, no, no, no, no, Dereek Whitehead Nets, Trendon Watford Nets. No one thinks this team was ever gonna compete for a title, but a playoff spot right now in the East real possibility, and that that was a game you absolutely could beat the Bucks in and that would have been a huge success even for a franchise that's been a massive disappointment, just beating the Bucks over Christmas break Those.
Speaker 2: Are the little wins that would have been very meaningful.
Speaker 1: But no, they're still gonna do bizarre things. Turn the offense over to Cam Johnson or camp Thomas excuse me when he's a liability, find a way to make mckailbridges regress bench their starters when they're not hurt. And now they're being investigated by the league to see if they're in an in violation of the new NBA Anti tanking roles rules, which, by the way, they are, they are in violation I.
Speaker 2: Think we all know.
Speaker 1: Is not like the nets even matter if they're tanking because they don't even have their own picks.
Speaker 2: So what the fuck are the nets doing?
Speaker 1: I have zero idea, and from the sound of things, no one else does either. Can we also get the hashtag free Spencer Din Whitty trending, free, Mchelbridge's trending, free, Cam Johnson's trending. Please someone fix this now?
Speaker 2: All right, let's move on.
Speaker 1: It's time for the first Heimmie of the week. In twenty twenty four, we go with the Joker pretty much every week. I can go with Joe l Embiid even though he's been banged up eleven games away.
Speaker 2: By the way, not being.
Speaker 1: Eligible for a postseason award, which would be terrible, but instead the himI Award goes.
Speaker 2: To Jaw Jaw.
Speaker 1: Morrat is back baby like he's never left. He's averaging twenty five to five and eight in his last four games, not even peak John numbers, but what is.
Speaker 2: The Grizzlies are four and.
Speaker 1: Two in the six games he's played, which is pretty much the percentage of winning that everyone expected them to be in. Imagine that John Moran is just discovering his sea legs. He's only five for twenty nine for three this season, and when he starts hitting more threes, his numbers are going to inflate, jump up above thirty.
Speaker 2: That's what we expect from Drummran right. He was named NBA Player of the Week. That was well deserved.
Speaker 1: He's resurrected a tough season for the grizz given the fan base hope we need that, we need that.
Speaker 2: His return coincided with a four.
Speaker 1: Game winning streak and included wins against the Hawks, the Pacers two wins against the Pelicans. Those are not terrible teams either. Those are legit tough to beat on any regular season night type of the games. The entire team is now excited, now transformed, which is why Jamarant is a star. Not just a star, but probably one of the five best players in the NBA star when he's healthy. I was on Memphis Radio's U When with my guys Jason and John and I stand by though what I told him. This is a league that needs Jamran on the floor. There's just nobody like him on the league. There's just nobody. It's obvious when you see Jaw that he is the best show on the hardwood, even when he does the obnoxious dance clown and the Pelicans on their own floor with their own dance after beating them with like two seconds left.
Speaker 2: That's very entertaining. That is peak Jaw.
Speaker 1: So of all the hymmies I've given out this year, this one makes me the happiest. Thank God Jamran is back. Jamran is the Hemmy of the week. Many more himmies for him to come.
Speaker 2: He is I and I am him. Slim with a tilted brim, He's him. Lots of little news stories.
Speaker 1: From around the league, so let's get into a few things that caught my eye. This is a crazy story about Aaron Gordon. He has missed a week's worth of games because he got bit by his own dog.
Speaker 2: Man do I know that story better than anyone else. I have a twelve pound Pomeranian. She is vicious.
Speaker 1: If I touch the back of her at night, she will bite my face. And that is what happened to Aaron Gordon as well. But I don't think of Pomeranian. I think a very very big dog. Sham's dropped the bomb.
Speaker 2: Boom, This is the bomb. This is the sound of the Shawn's bomb.
Speaker 1: He dropped the bomb on Christmas Day when he reported that Aaron Gordon has suffered serious injuries to his face and hands from a dog attack on Christmas from his pit bull, which required him to get twenty one stitches. All of that to say, that's post his Christmas Day game he played on Christmas.
Speaker 2: And then proceeded to get bitten in the face.
Speaker 1: As someone who's been bitten by their own dog a time or two, I feel bad for him. It is a sad and traumatic event to ever have your dog attack you have any dog attack.
Speaker 2: You, specifically your own.
Speaker 1: His status was indefinite, but he came back in just a week. He had this to say about the incident. I guess it's a little bit embarrassing, but not too embarrassing where I can't talk about it. I don't drink a lot during the season. I probably had a little too much eggnog. I was kind of rough housing with my dog, and I think my dog got a little excited and basically just chomped down and gave me a bite, and I was wrestling him off me, and then he bit my hand. For lack of better words, I was messing around with my dog. And when you mess around, you find out that's a perfect fuck around and find out moment like, it's funny when I do that to my dog.
Speaker 2: Who's twelve pounds.
Speaker 1: I think his dog is probably one hundred and twelve pounds. You mess with the bull, you get the horns, hype up a pit bull or a palm or Chuallamex getting chomped. As it turns out, his dad usually takes care of his pit when he's on the road. He says, he's a good boy, He's a good dog. What a wild injury. That's like one of the most wild NBA injuries. It's like Najoku and his uh Art was it like a some sort of fire pit that he got burned by Yeah, it's insane. He only had ten two and zero in an not one hundred percent yet, But thankfully, I think he's gonna recover fully. He'll learn that some dogs only can be hyped up to a certain point before they'll tear off your face. Hopefully, the Nuggets are gonna tear off everybody else's face because they're the best team in the league right now. I think, not just in the West, but in the East.
Speaker 2: Get better.
Speaker 1: Aaron Gordon moving on to Scoot. We gotta talk about Scoot.
Speaker 2: God, I love him. My avatar on Twitter is Scoot. It's never changing. Scoot with the goggles.
Speaker 1: Everything's changed since he got his his bifocals. I'm gonna do a deep dive on Scoot, probably for the Rookie Report, but I did want to talk about a quote that dropped last night.
Speaker 2: Scoot just a competitor. He said he's still trying to get Rookie of the Year.
Speaker 1: That's his goal, that's still up in the air. He believes the Rookie of the Year race.
Speaker 2: Is not complete yet.
Speaker 1: Some of you might be laughing because you think, okay, Scoot, you believe that you can take on Victor Wembinyama and Chet.
Speaker 2: But get this, check this out this those stats.
Speaker 1: In his last eleven games, Scoot has averaged sixteen three and six with one point two stok stocks stalks on a shooting split of forty forty three and eighty five in thirty minutes a game while running the point for one of the youngest teams in the NBA. Pretty much the second most effective rookie over the last three weeks in the entire NBA.
Speaker 2: If he continues to do that, folks, it might get closer than we think. Who knows?
Speaker 1: Probably not, but who knows more on Scoot very very soon. Speaking of rookies, Victor one Minyama has had a fascinating rookie season. Most people think he's the favorite to win Rookie of the Year, but it's very close, very close between him and Chet. Some outlets, including bt MGM, have Chet with a small razor's edge at minus one twenty and Victor minus one ten. Even though they're not going to come out and say it outright, there are people that think that Victor is somehow disappointing this season, even though he's averaging nineteen ten and three with three blocks per game, which is absolutely a sird. They point out that he's a turnover prone player. He has three point three per game in thirty minutes. Who gives a fuck about that?
Speaker 2: Not me, it's a San Antonio Spurs.
Speaker 1: They also blame him for getting into foul trouble, even though he's skinny and is just trying to defend, and that's limiting his restricted time on the court. He's averaging under twenty four minutes a game the last two weeks.
Speaker 2: Do I care, No, I do not.
Speaker 1: Most people are pointing out that the Spurs are just five and twenty seven, which is got awful for someone hailed as the savior in San Antonio. Many memes are going around saying, hey, does san Antonio know that they already got Victor woman Yama, Which is why I thought Joel Embiid's take on Victor was so interesting.
Speaker 2: As someone who missed.
Speaker 1: His first two years as a rookie or two years to injury, and who understand what it's like to be called savior of a franchise, I think probably Joel Embid has a good perspective on what life is like for Victor, and Bid told David Aldredge at the athletic this. I'm not trying to be too critical. Obviously, he's extremely talented. Right now, there's so much hype around him. I think he's just trying to live up to that hype, and that's what I see. I watch a lot of games, and I think, first of all, he has to figure out where he wants to play, whether he wants to be a guard or a big or whatever. It's not necessarily where he wants to be, whether he wants to be a guard or a big, it's what he.
Speaker 2: Wants to become.
Speaker 1: Do you want to become KD or do you want to become me not KD, or like a version of those guys? You want to combine everything? Right now, I feel like everything kind of feels a little forced in the way that he's playing, which is not bad because the only way to get better is to play through it and learn. That's the only way. You make a lot of mistakes and you learn. I do think it's like do you want to be KD or do you want to be me? Very good analysis though of vic Victor's very young man. He's just trying to figure out, and I think the team's trying to figure out what they want Victor to be. He's only nineteen and he's what is he probably one hundred and ninety pounds soaking wet at seven.
Speaker 2: You got to play through your mistakes.
Speaker 1: You gotta figure out whether you're going to gain weight like Joel Embiid did, whether you're gonna stay slender like Kevin Durant did, are you gonna play on the perimeter? And Victor continues to do an incredible job of just figuring it out, owning up to his mistakes and press conferences.
Speaker 2: He knows that he's a work in progress.
Speaker 1: A lot of people put kind of unfair expectations on him. He knows that he has holes in his game. I'm sure that, and more importantly, he knows how many people in San Antonio are relying on him. He said this, This is probably the worst Victor will ever see. That's what he said during Thanksgiving break, And that's one of the most confident and self aware statements from the athlete that you're going to hear, especially from someone leading the league in blocks and nearly twenty a game in limited time.
Speaker 2: As a rookie. He's like very young. I love Joel Embiid.
Speaker 1: He's one of the very few players who, if you ask a question, will give you an honest answer.
Speaker 2: Up next. Finally, if you know anything about me, you know that I will never ever ever.
Speaker 1: Pass up an opportunity to talk about James Johnson blood Sport, that's his nickname. He's voted unanimously as the toughest player in the NBA last year. He was signed the day after the Pacers got absolutely bullied by the Bucks in game Ballgate game ball Ghazi as they call it, by the way. The two teams played for the first time since then on Monday Night, and the Pacers won by nine. Coincidence that they took it to the Bucks with James Johnson on the roster, I do not think so anyway. Eudonnis Haslam dropped an anecdote this week about what James Johnson is like, how tough he is, how we'll call it gritty he is, how he's not to be fucked with when he was with the Heat and I needed to talk about it. Haslam, as you know, is considered one of the toughest guys in the league as well, somebody that you do not want to piss off. He recently said, if he ever runs into Kevin Garnet, it's one's on site. He says, I like Tatum, I like Brown, but them old motherfucker's KG and Paul.
Speaker 2: I don't fuck with y'all.
Speaker 1: If I see all at the grocery store it's on, I don't care what ile. It can be a seven to eleven around the cheese dip, all of it's.
Speaker 2: Getting flipped over.
Speaker 1: Whoo, all of it's getting flipped over, the cheese dip, the the hot dogs. I don't give a fuck who cares, slurpies, all of it. So yeah, Haslam is about as hard as a coffin nail pause and even haslm's like, do not fuck with James Johnson. You donna said this on bam Adebayou's podcast, which I didn't even know that bam Adebayou had a podcast. He said, I ain't gonna say no names, but somebody on our team called James Johnson a bitch, and JJ said, hey, you gotta see me after practice, and everybody was like, oh shit.
Speaker 2: Oh boy.
Speaker 1: Bam said that he tried to intervene to keep this unnamed player from getting his ass whopped, and James Johnson said, hey, why don't you mind your fucking business. So the fight happened, and it went pretty much exactly like you thought it would. Bam Adebio chimed in, he said, I watched that shit. The funniest part about a dog is JJ ended up balling. I'm talking about beating this man up. JJ got done beating him senseless and then said you are right, you are right, and then walked out. This man is crying and sniveling, and James John's like, hey, you good.
Speaker 2: No, he's not good. You just beat the shit out.
Speaker 1: Of him, and then they ended up hugging it out later. That's what I want to do to some people sometimes. I just want to put my kid punching gloves on. That's just an inside joke and get him in the face and be like, hey, are you good.
Speaker 2: I actually don't want to do that. I'm a lover, not a fighter.
Speaker 1: Bam also confirmed one of those urban legends about James Johnson when he watched Johnson dislodge a wedgie by kicking the ball out of the rim with a roundhouse kick and then landing on his feet. Blood Sport, the most interesting man in the NBA. Let's get him a liquor and the only player in the league. I will never pass up an opportunity to talk about it, even when the podcast is running long.
Speaker 2: That's all the time that we have for the episode of the Heat Check.
Speaker 1: Come back tomorrow for an all new episode. No come back Friday, and check out the feed for past episodes and many episodes which will drop unexpectedly like your new neighbors stopping by out of nowhere with cookies. Do not forget to follow the Heat Check as we go through this NBA season. That means download, subscribe. Please tell everyone friends, enemies, neighbors, even that guy walking his dog every day at the same.
Speaker 2: Time who never acknowledges your existence. Be like, hey, stop stop sleeping on me.
Speaker 1: Trista has a podcast and it slaps follow us on socialie at this heat Check it on Trista Creek on Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok. We'll see you next time.