Speaker 1: Guys, welcome to Renee all day. Joining me today, Chase Brown? How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm good?
Speaker 1: How good? How are you feeling?
Speaker 2: I mean it's weeks we're going to week eighteen. Body feels good to be at this point. Yeah, yeah, everything's good.
Speaker 1: I was very excited to realize that I'm staying down with you, a fellow.
Speaker 2: Canadian, fellow Canadian, fellow.
Speaker 1: Canadian here in Cincinnati or here in the NFL. Uh. What's the first thing you do when you touch down in TiO?
Speaker 2: The first thing you do when you touched on on to I mean, if you're not from there, you gotta go see the cee In Tower.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, you know what. I never recommend that.
Speaker 2: What what do you recommend?
Speaker 1: What would you say, say the aquarium?
Speaker 2: The aquarium, Well, that's right next to it. It's right next to it. I would say go to the sea In Tower because then you can see everything. Yeah, and you can have dinner up there, you know what. Relax a little bit.
Speaker 1: I've not been to that restaurant.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you're gonna have bele Oh for real.
Speaker 1: Like I was really little, I actually don't think I've been to the Santa Tower since I was really little.
Speaker 2: Well, you got to go back.
Speaker 1: I guess I do so for you specifically when you get home to Canada, what do you want to do?
Speaker 2: Relax a little bit? Maybe I don't know, I haven't even thought about it yet. Maybe get some more tattoos? Oh okay, yeah, that's really all. Maybe that's what I would do.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like it. So you, of course have a twin brother plays for the Eagles. How competitive are you guys with each other throughout the season and just like career wise?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you can imagine. I grew up with that dude. We did everything together. Yeah, college ball, lived together, so got extremely competitive. Even with people that like we lived with. It was just always like who can do this better? Who's gonna eat cleaner, who's gonna do this one thing better?
Speaker 1: So hanging out with twins can be such a trip to you. Guys are like on each other. You guys talk about.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah all the time, all the time. He can't do anything right, he can't do a single thing right.
Speaker 1: Who's the better trash talker the two?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I'd take it all the way.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, do you guys have that like weird twin connection where you just like know if something's going on with him.
Speaker 2: For sure, Like when anytime I watch his games and yeah, oh god, it's like the loudest thing ever. I'm yelling at the TV. I feel like I'm there, like he's playing the post like I'm back there doing it too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so how much are you guys checking in with each.
Speaker 2: Other all the time? I'll probably call him right after this, probably just to see And most of the time I can't even get a hold of him because he's it's like trying to get ahold of the president. That's what are like. Me and my roommates say, yeah, he never picks up the phone ever, Right, I always pick up for him, but he'll turn me back and we'll catch up talk about our days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, usual. Okay, So I find this fascinating because growing up in Canada, we don't know a lot of guys that play in the NFL. We all know somebody that plays in the NHL. That's always like we went to school with a guy, we know a guy, blah blah blah. We don't know a ton of guys that play in the NFL. So your journey to go from living in London Ontario to moving to Florida and going to high school to pursue this dream. It's rare to hear that. Can you walk me through how you were able to even achieve that and pull that off and be here now in the NFL?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean number one, it took a world class you know, they can nobody could match up to, you know, the support system that my brother and I had with the Whost family. My mom, my grandma coaches. So I'm just gonna start there. But grew up in London, Ontario, bounce around a little bit, ended up having this opportunity to play football in Florida, went there, moved in with his host family.
Speaker 1: Like how does that opportunity come up?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 1: Because even in like I was trying to say before, it's like my high school, nobody really played football. So how do you get to the point that you're like there, you're in it to be scouted, to be able to move down to the United States.
Speaker 2: To do that? I see, I don't know if I'm allowed to use the word scouted, but it was an academic scholarship, so that's how it worked out.
Speaker 1: Okay, got it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So anyways, my brother and I played football. We want to take it to the next level. But you know, we saw a couple of guys make this prep school move. It's actually you know, Jesse Lukita he plays for the Cardinals, and then John Metchi he plays for the Texans. So those are kind of the first two guys that did it of the fall. Yeah, so we kind of knew, like, hey, if you know there's something we wanted to do, kind of have to follow their footsteps. Yeah, so you know, eventually we made the move down there. Lovely whole family. I mean we it was kind of a crazy turnaround. We met, we talked with the school or whatever on like a Tuesday, and then and talk to the host family on a Wednesday, moved in with them two days later, just you and your brother. So my mom Roe was down but yes, it was just my brother and I with the family. Yeah. So yeah, that was a crazy turnaround. But where it took us, it's you know, it's priceless everything that did for us. I mean we I wouldn't be seeing with you here today, like if it wasn't for sure.
Speaker 1: It's so crazy how things kind of fall into place to be able to do that. But to think of like you and your brother being in London, moving to Florida, going to high school together. You guys go to Illinois together. It's like the first time you guys have really been separated. Is that kind of rocking a little bit?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, I definitely miss him. Yeah, I wish, I wish I saw my roommate. But he's doing, you know, big things on Philly and that's where he's supposed to be. That's just you know, you gotta you gotta trust you know, God and your journey, and you know, wherever opportunities are you you got you can't you can't pass up on them. Yeah. Yeah, can you imagine? And if he's like, you know, I'm just not going to go to you. No, it just doesn't work out that way. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I know, your grown men, you for your own past.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Maybe one day we'll buy a house together.
Speaker 1: There you go, There you go. I was just watching the show twin Love, hosted by my friends The Bella Twins. But it's like a whole thing on how like twins kind of operate in their relationships outside of each other. It's it is a whole thing. Renee All Day is presented by Gellette Labs. Gellette Labs is not your dad's razor. It's Jellette's ultimate shaving experience. Okay, so talk to me a little bit about your family. Obviously, you're close with your brother, You're close with your mom. She drove you down to Florida's been with you guys the whole time. You guys lived with your grandma for a little while.
Speaker 2: Uh huh yeah. Yeah, So my mom, my mom was bouncing around a little bit. She was struggling, and I mean, my grandma has always been that rock for us, who always supported us any any way she could. So, yeah, that's our rock, that's you know, my anytime my mom struggled, my name was always the first one to help when she could and do whatever she could to make sure that, you know, my brother and I were Okay. So she's she's amazing.
Speaker 1: Did she get to come down here yet?
Speaker 2: She's she came down for one game. She came into the Seattle game. She said, I never want to stand through a game like that again. You guys should just you know, finish it earlier. I'm like, you know, that's just how these NFL games go. Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they don't talk to me about Draft Day. That was obviously a really emotional day for you. I saw the videos, but to be able to see that dream come true for you, all those emotions kind of pouring out of you, Yeah.
Speaker 2: No doubt. I mean number one. So my brother went on day two, and I mean, he we kind of threw this big party and he really wanted this like big party, everybody around everything. So I didn't really I kind of knew I was about to go day three. So in the back of my head, I'm like, I don't know, I don't know if we should really do this. And next thing I know, I mean, there's news cruise, there's probably like two hundred people at this draft party.
Speaker 1: And you guys in London for this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were back home and he gets drafted. I don't get drafted that night. I'm like, you know, I just saw him get drafted. He knows where he's going, and he's all excited and like, man, like, you know, I'm pumped up for you, but I don't know where I'm going yet. So what was that.
Speaker 1: Drive home like for you to know where your brother was going and you're kind of waiting there with the dot dot dot Yeah you're gonna do it?
Speaker 2: Was I mean just mixed emotions. Just that's probably the most stress I've ever been becaues. I mean, you know, I see the fourth round go by, fifth round comes up, and I mean, we're getting to the end of the fifth, fifth round, so I'm like, oh my gosh, like where am I gonna end up? And then eventually I see pop up and it's I went they didn't say Cincinnati, but it's at Ohio. Okay, I'm like, Ohio, who is? And then it's coach Zach and I just I didn't even I just I mean you see the video. Yeah, I was crying like a baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so cool when moments like that can happen and just be like totally vulnerable to the work you've put in to landing where you're supposed to land. You and your brother both go like crazy.
Speaker 2: No, definitely a cool moment. I'll never forget that. Yeah, it's like all this stress built up, you don't feel like your foreheads about to hit the floor, and the next thing you know, it's all gone. Yeah, you're excited with this opportunity and just making the most.
Speaker 1: Of it, so everything settles in. You know where you're going. Now you can kind of understand I'm going to the Bengals. What did that mean to you to realize that this is a team that you were going to go play for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean championship caliber team, you know, superstars and walk. Yeah, so many good players, so many guys to i mean learn from. So as a young player getting their feet wet in the NFL. So I was I was mainly excited about that, you know, getting to work with Coach Hill and coach Cali and just start this NFL journey. That's what I was really excited about originally. And then you know that turns into you know, meeting new guys in the locker room and you're making new friends, I mean moving to a new apartment. So yeah, there's so much that, so much change and transition that happens.
Speaker 1: Life's happening life, Yeah, so many life things. You talk about those superstars in the locker room, and there really is some like huge notable names on this roster. Who were some of those guys that you were able to kind of observe and learn a little something from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, obviously, I mean you have Jamar t, Tyler, Joe, and then I mean even Mike Thomas, he's been the NFL for yeah. I mean, I don't know. I think he's in year twelve or thirteen. He's been in the NFL forever, and I just I respect that, Yeah, and I'm like longevity that. So I'm asking I'm asking him questions. I'm kind of observing, you know, the other guys from you know, a little bit away. I'm not like exactly all up in their face or anything, but you know, I'm seeing how they work, you know, the way they the way they practice, what they do after practice. And I kind of added some of those things in final routine, just you know, just by observing.
Speaker 1: So, you guys have a really tight rookie group this year. What is that about? It seems like I just keep hearing the buzz about how tight you guys all are.
Speaker 2: It was all the rookie success meetings we have like that, but a lot of us actually worked out together pre draft. Like I compete against Charlie all the way through college pretty much, and I didn't like him until until I get here. But it's just he's a you know, I played against them at Iowa and then against them at Purdue, and then Yeah, I knew Andre from the Senior Bowl trained with DJ and Fort Lauderdale. I think Jordan might have been there. I don't know. I think Battle is that I don't remember. Yeah, maybe he went to maybe he was there for like two days and then went to Exos or something. But yeah, I kind of met everybody throughout the draft process before, so I knew. Maybe that's why everybody's kind of close. Everybody kind of knew each other one way or had some sort of connections.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yes, it wasn't like totally.
Speaker 2: It's not like everybody's brand new. It's okay, like I know you and then you know, it's just you just meshed better that way.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about this chip on your shoulder because I feel like you must have one. I mean, I've seen it from in terms of you know, the draft and how that all went down, and in my research of getting ready for this interview, it seems like a lot of people keep going, wow, you're really fast, and You're like, yeah.
Speaker 2: A little bit, I can move a little bit.
Speaker 1: Does it shock you that people are sort of seeing you in that light of going wow the table?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, maybe a little bit. I mean, if you watch my film I Hit twenty two in college. Yeah, like twenty two I don't know, twenty two five. Let's hit twenty two five. I hit something like that in college, so I could move and then, I mean maybe they just didn't see the tape or think that I could run. I mean I ran a four four to three. Yeah, super athletic at the combine. And I think I've always just I mean, I felt like I was underestimated in the in the pre draft.
Speaker 1: Do you like that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think, you know, coming in as a fifth round pick. I mean my mindset has never changed. It's always been to go in and make an impact somehow.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I mean at first it was special teams and you know, going as hard as I could, running as fasts I could down the field after that touchdown like that, yeah, I think, Yeah, obviously that turns heads, and scoring and making big plays turns heads. But I think, you know, consistently doing that is what I want to keep doing. I mean, just showing like if you give me space, I can finish these big plays. I can make people miss. I can run in between the tackles like you know I can. I can do this. You know I can compete at this level yeah. Yeah, So that's just that's just kind of what I carr on my shoulder week to week, And I mean I just want to keep getting better.
Speaker 1: What are some other things that you want to bring from this season into next Just experience mainly.
Speaker 2: I mean that's the only way you can take steps forward in this league is getting more comfortable on the field, you know, pre snap recognition, being a smarter player next year and taking all of that and just going into you know, year two full speed, no hesitation, full confidence, just you know, ready to you know, bring Cincinnati what I mean, you know, we've worked so hard for him. We deserve.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Renee All Day is presented by Jillette Labs. The best a man can get. Keeps getting better. Look good, game, good.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: That's all happening on the field. Let's talk off the field. Your fashion game is on point. That is a common theme here amongst you Bengals. You guys bring out some top choice outfits. Has that Have you always been like this or did you kind of kick it up a notch now that you're here.
Speaker 2: I had to kick it up a notch. Maybe my fashion game from week one or preseason even to I mean, shoot, week seventeen. Yeah, I mean has completely changed. So I think once I got off IR, I'm like, you know what, I'm gonna get a bunch of fashion motivation. I'm gonna I'm gonna get some motivation.
Speaker 1: And then where's that motivation come from? Who are we saving on Instagram? What are we looking at for some good outfit?
Speaker 2: I want to tell my secret, but no, I I scroll on TikTok, like my whole TikTok, like every talk.
Speaker 1: I'm old guys, Sorry, Facebook, my Space, You're not on TikTok. No, I haven't TikTok.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, I'm like too much. Yeah, I just so I follow a bunch of fashion people on there and kind of I mean get my motivation from that, and you know where they're shopping. And I mean I'm trying to make it as inexpensive as possible.
Speaker 1: Sure, that's smart.
Speaker 2: I mean, like still have some pieces that are statements, you know what I mean, like a bag or some shoes or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta have a couple of staples.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but just making sure it works all together.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, No, that's definitely like the if you buy something it's only for one specific thing. That's when you get yourself in a bit of a pickle. You need to be a little versatile with the pieces.
Speaker 2: No doubt, you gotta be versatile. Yeah, a lot of my fits I've just been buying for one week, don't not really using the pieces after because it's like, yeah, what is that about?
Speaker 1: I think that's a new thing. People don't repeat outfits anymore. I'm myself am guilty. Everything.
Speaker 2: Everything's on camera, Like as soon as you walk down this hallway, is it right here? Okay? Right here somewhere right here? Yeah, so we walked down that hallway and there's a couple of pictures taken, like over with that's the last time you can right off? Yeah I didn't, is it?
Speaker 1: Yes, you're on camera.
Speaker 2: It's right off, it's right off, Yeah, it's right off.
Speaker 1: All right off. Okay, So rookie contract with the first thing you bought?
Speaker 2: What did you get for Bronco wrapped?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, yeah, definitely my financial bise, like, no, don't do it too much. Live a little about that.
Speaker 2: And that's what I got. That's what I did for myself. And then.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I've got a little game here for you. It's sort of a Canadian quiz. It's sort of a this or that. You got to pick up one ketchup chips are all dress trips?
Speaker 2: Wow right, I was all dressed kid though, but I think ketchup trips? Now?
Speaker 1: Is there one other snack from Canada that you wish? We're on the shelves here.
Speaker 2: Just have like, uh, like the Kinder chocolates.
Speaker 1: We do, but the chocolate's not the same.
Speaker 2: Qu wait, not the not the Kinder surprises. The they're like.
Speaker 1: The bars are really good them here, but I don't know if they're the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Have you went to jungle gyms here?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Crazy, it's craziness. Yeah, they've got some lost in there.
Speaker 1: Drake. Or the weekend Drake, I mean that was kind of no offense weekend that was an obvious on. Gret Ski or Gilmore gret Ski. Butter tart or Joe Louis butter tart.
Speaker 2: What what's what I mean?
Speaker 1: It's the chocolate cake with a little like vanilla frosting in the middle. You know what Joe Louis.
Speaker 2: Like you can buy from the corner store. Yeah, yeah, I know what you're talking about, Like twinkies. Yeah, I know what you're talking. I actually do.
Speaker 1: He's lost.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: London Knights, Toronto Argonauts. Are you keeping?
Speaker 2: I always well, I mean one's football on one's hometown hockey team.
Speaker 1: The hometown team, and London Knights usually have a pretty decent They are pretty good, vitoriously been a pretty good team. Ship's Creek or Letter Kenny?
Speaker 2: Do you watch Creek? Letter Kenny? I never watched Creaked those.
Speaker 1: You should watch Letter Kenny. Very Canadian. If you're ever feeling a little like nostalgic paying for Canada, it'll get you Starbucks or Tim Morton's Starbucks.
Speaker 2: Wow, change totally changed.
Speaker 1: What a change guy, Americana through and through?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's on a show with some show.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you so much for hanging out with me. Best of luck with everything still to come in your career. I'm super happy that you're here. You've got to sit down. You're in the NFL. You did it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're here, we're here. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah,