Speaker 1: Comedy Up Broadway in Lexington welcomes Dustin Nickerson April seventeenth through the nineteenth Then catch the hilarious siblings Leah and Andrew Rudick April twenty fourth through the twenty sixth. And from Dublin, Ireland, It's David Nihil Me second and third Comedy Off Broadway opened and downtown Lexington in nineteen eighty seven, and they're still bringing the best in stand up comedy to the area thirty eight years later. Call E five nine two seven to one joke or visit Comedy Off Broadway dot com Offay.
Speaker 2: This is Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage.
Speaker 3: Now here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 4: Welcome everyone.
Speaker 5: It is Kentucky Sports Radio, Thursday, May the first.
Speaker 4: It is the National Day of Prayer. Did you know that? I did not know that.
Speaker 5: And it is also May Day here at well, it's Mayday everywhere, not just here at the Kasbar and Grill, but we are at the Kasbar and Grill to.
Speaker 4: Say Billy's birthday. Okay, can I finish the intro? Let me make sure we go heard paper shop on lines five O two.
Speaker 5: A Vision Auto glass text machine is seven seven two seven seven four five two five four in this distion sponsored by the t J.
Speaker 4: Smith Loves You. Call TJ. He'll make them pay. Drew. I was going to say.
Speaker 5: After I did the intro, uh, that today is Billy's birthday.
Speaker 4: He turned thirty early.
Speaker 5: Well, I guess at twelve oh one at midnight, I'm thirty years old for Billy, who's not in this building. But happy birthday to Billy our sports the official grump of Kentucky Sports Radio, uh.
Speaker 4: The GM.
Speaker 6: Also we'll call him that put some respect on his name today. But happy thirtieth to Billy.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 6: Thirty is still young, you know, so he shouldn't let it get to him too bad. I heard him worrying about hitting a new a new milestone there. But he's still got a lot of youth left in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 5: It's We've talked about this with him, Like when do you start feeling old? I don't think you start feeling old at thirty.
Speaker 4: I don't think thirty is it.
Speaker 5: I think forty is the age where you go, oh okay, like here we are, and then I think when you get to be like forty two, things start to hurt more when you fall down or like you wake up just with a pain like somewhere.
Speaker 4: So I think, thirty, you still got you still got.
Speaker 5: A bunch of time. Now in Kentucky people age like quicker, like people get married at like twenty four and twenty five, So I think sometimes there's.
Speaker 4: A pressure to get married and stuff.
Speaker 3: But what happened to you?
Speaker 4: And I'm mad, Well, we skipped it. There comes a point.
Speaker 5: Oh, there comes a point where you miss it for so long, Shannon.
Speaker 4: Then people start to go, well that's wrong.
Speaker 3: They look you, what's wrong with you? Boy?
Speaker 4: You get to be forty. Here's what happened.
Speaker 5: They either decide he's like a perpetual bachelor or they think you're gay. Like, no, those are the things that happen.
Speaker 4: That's my life.
Speaker 5: I mean, like I remember when I was thinking about running for congress. We I had this political consultant and they said, if you run, you know there's going to be one of two narratives, which is either that you date everybody or that you're gay.
Speaker 4: And I went, well, neither of those is exactly true, but at all true. But that's the way Ryan, it happens. You know. I still don't feel like I'm on the opposite.
Speaker 5: You get in a relationship every moment, I am not not a moment you've ever been single.
Speaker 3: Her little ladies won't leave him alone.
Speaker 4: That's like you.
Speaker 5: Literally, when's the last time you've had a month of just complete singleality?
Speaker 7: Well, I mean it was divorced, not did too long ago?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it started quick if it.
Speaker 7: Was longer than a month, a.
Speaker 5: Month and a half, I mean you you just like being in relationships, is my point.
Speaker 7: Why not if you find somebody who enjoy being around?
Speaker 4: Why not?
Speaker 7: And like I do not I'm fifty eight. I don't feel like I'm fifty eight. I don't feel like I'm old yet, so I feel.
Speaker 4: Like you're fifty eight. No, I really don't actually feel like you're fifty eight.
Speaker 5: You don't act like I don't feel fifty eight. So anyway, happy birthday to Billy who's now thirty.
Speaker 7: So thirty years old.
Speaker 5: Mario remains the last one, and then you're twenty five, right, twenty child babies young. I spoke at UK yesterday and it was to a group of people, almost all of which were like graduating seniors, and it's just it's amazing to listen to them, like ask questions about and when I talk about how KSR started with them, they don't know, like they're like blogs, you know what I mean, Like they don't even that's not almost even a word. Like they don't even see KSR the website as a blog. They see it like just as that's what sites are, you know what I'm saying, Like they don't that.
Speaker 4: I don't even know if they use that terminology really anymore.
Speaker 7: So what are they more like doing the vlog video blogs?
Speaker 4: I just think they see it as a website.
Speaker 5: They don't see it as like I just don't think people use that phrase blog. They're like, it's Kentucky Sports Radio dot com.
Speaker 4: Because if you think.
Speaker 5: About it, if you were to go to the Herald Leader right now or to see it doesn't look any different than our site. I mean, it's it's all kind of the same now to to these to especially younger people.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean when KSR first came around of something a little different, it was very long for people were like, WHOA, what is this thing going on?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 6: It all kind of looks the same, Like you're saying, everybody's got the headlines all the.
Speaker 5: Stuff that The Herald Leader used to get on me about they do worse. Like I have to tell you, I hate the Harald Leader's Twitter account more than anything on earth. I hate it. I hate it. Whoever's in charge of it, I don't like you. And I'm sure you're being told that you have to do it. But there'll be a headline that.
Speaker 4: Says popular restaurant shockingly closes. You think that's not in our area? Oh no, is it mine? Like? What? What? What?
Speaker 5: What is the popular restaurant that shockingly closed? And it'll literally be in like Bozeman, Montana. And I get really really angry at them. Why why is this a headline in the Lexington newspaper?
Speaker 4: And it's clearly because it worked. I clicked on.
Speaker 6: It gets every day, you know. Sometimes it might be a car accident or something tragic. I'm like, oh, that's awful. Is that local? No? Seattle Washington?
Speaker 4: Like, well, why are you telling me about?
Speaker 6: But I don't need to know about what's going on there. I'm looking for local.
Speaker 5: I mean, when the when the restaurant shockingly closed and it was in Montana.
Speaker 4: I I almost filed a complain.
Speaker 6: Remember the Lexingon's oldest restaurant closed and it was the Arby's on That was the headliner. I was thinking, Oh my goodness, we're losing an icon.
Speaker 4: No just Arby's anyway. So that's what's on my mind. It is, uh, it is Derby Week Thursday. Uh.
Speaker 5: I last night tried to figure out if I had something to wear that see back when we used to go to Oaks and Derby. I've lost weight since then, so all those jackets and stuff, they don't they don't fit. So I'm just gonna be walking around in a monster jacket tomorrow. So if you see that, you go, well, he's it looks like he's wearing his dad's jacket. That's what That's what it's gonna look like. Unfortunately, but go to your place. Is in little too late.
Speaker 4: You can't.
Speaker 5: I mean you you cannot buy clothes in Louisville, Kentucky two weeks before the Derby, like it's all it's all gone, Like people start. People in Louisville are weird, Shannon. They start playing their Derby out like February, you.
Speaker 3: Know, and yeah, you forget about it right now they are.
Speaker 5: Try to go there, they're swamped and like if you go if I were to go into a store, that sells suits. Now they would just tell me to go away like they're not They're not going to do anything.
Speaker 6: So we have a thirty two long if you would like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 7: So today is Thirby Wins. Used to be the day for.
Speaker 5: You've got oaks, used to be the locals day. That's got taken over.
Speaker 4: Then it's Thirby and Thirby became.
Speaker 7: It was a locals day.
Speaker 4: It's become a locals day. Uh.
Speaker 5: They also I noticed now have five oh Tuesday. Ye five oh Tuesday, five oh Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Then Weindnesday a.
Speaker 4: Wind w I n Yeah, is that what they're calling Wednesday.
Speaker 5: So they've taken over the whole week, which is kind of to their credit, kind of impressed.
Speaker 4: I mean I saw on Tuesday the place look full. That's pretty impressive. Yeah.
Speaker 6: And all the events, it's there's something every night. You know, I've got friends I'm seeing on social media it looks like they're already at the Kentucky Derby. I mean, these Monday Tuesday Wednesday events have gotten so big.
Speaker 5: Shannon's wrestling down on the waterfront tonight down on.
Speaker 4: The OVW's down the water front.
Speaker 5: I mean the reality is if you, and people who live there know if you want to get any work done in Louisville, just forget it this week.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's just not happening.
Speaker 5: I was talking to my accountant and he was like, I've actually got some time because no one's in the office. Like Louisville takes the whole week off. It's not even It's like they don't even contemplate working.
Speaker 7: So what is it considered now? The locals day at the track Tuesday? Oh, that's the local day Tuesday. Okay, Yeah, Thurby's expensive. Now Oaks is crazy expensive.
Speaker 5: So basically they're like in a few weeks, in a few years, they're going to have you three weeks before you on Easter and say that's it. Well, yesterday John Rothstein had a long scheduled interview, I guess with Mark Pope, and so I watched a little bit of it and he actually said some news. So you tell me, Drew, as we go through here, what of these things interest you?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 5: Mark Pope says that the job, the Kentucky job, is what he thought, but even more demanding. The fan base is not only crazy, they know everything you're doing on.
Speaker 4: A daily basis. Do you agree with that. I do.
Speaker 6: I like that part he said, I'll wake up in the morning and fans already know what I'm gonna do that day before I've even done it, And sometimes before I even know what I'm doing.
Speaker 4: We do, that's right.
Speaker 6: I mean when he first got here, I think you mentioned that, you know he's taken, He's going out to eat at Harry's, and we have pictures online within seconds, or whatever he's doing in town, whoever's in town at the airport. I think he was overwhelmed right away because when he was here in the early nineties, that wasn't really a thing. But we the fan base, was on every move he made the second he started the job.
Speaker 5: I'm glad he knows that because that's just what it's gonna be. That's right, you know, and that's not gonna change. He then said, and I like this, Ryan, that he loved being a head coach right now because college basketball could go twelve different ways, and they have mapped out models for each potential future of college basketball, and they have a plan for whatever happens when it happened.
Speaker 4: Isn't that amazing? I love that.
Speaker 5: That's amazing. That was my favorite part of it because that's what you're gonna have to do.
Speaker 4: You can see. You can sit there and complain about history, or you can try to make it work. It's right.
Speaker 7: And so many of the older coaches are like they're tapping out, they don't want to be a part of this, and then Mark like embracing it and wanting to be a part of this ride.
Speaker 4: So that was amazing.
Speaker 7: He said it for each different avenue that the basketball could go, they're ready for it.
Speaker 5: He asked what Mark Pope was looking for in the portal, not just this year, but in general, and he said, shooting is important, but the most important thing is being a decider. Decider that's his phrase, which is when you get the ball, you do quickly side what you're gonna do for the bigs. That might mean passing for guys that might be shooting whatever it is. I need guys who are ready to make quick decisions. Did you like that?
Speaker 6: I like that. Not to get too far down your list, But in that same point he talked about how coaching guys, there's so much that they're just gonna do on their own, and he expects big jumps from guys. You already retained, already known and gone through it, guy like Brandon Garrison. He mentioned so a lot of player empowerment and their decision making.
Speaker 5: He says he's gonna get one or two more people. I heard that they could be red shirt asque, but one or two more people, including potentially from Europe.
Speaker 4: So that means the roster's.
Speaker 7: Not there, and that would make sense why he was looking at that guy from Miami, you know, one guy that maybe could come in be act like a quote red shirt.
Speaker 4: But he felt like his twelve is his twelve.
Speaker 7: And he said, he said, we're gonna play all twelve. We're gonna play them all.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I don't know if you I don't know if I've ever seen that play in twelve, But.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you can do that. I mean, you can do it sometimes, but you can't do it.
Speaker 6: Regularly right, certainly not as year goes on you get to tournament. Even when cal platooned, he tied it up a little bit for the postseason. He did say the twelve he has already owned all the minutes on the floor, so he either wants a red shirt or someone who's a last year player that just wants to wear the Kentucky jersey and be part of that experience.
Speaker 4: He said.
Speaker 5: Jaden Quaintance is going is gonna be great, says he can already beat Mark Popit chess, which sounds impressive Shannon, until we know did Mark even know the rules of chess?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Mark likes to play chess though, because he.
Speaker 5: If he likes to play chess, if this seventeen year old, eighteen year old has beaten him in chess, I like that.
Speaker 4: Maybe this is a very smart kid, I want to.
Speaker 6: Say, Pope. And maybe Colin Chandler had some battles throughout the year playing chess. He's mentioned it before playing with some of the players, so it might be another reason why he and Quainton's got along so well.
Speaker 5: He said he thought Brandon Garrison and Colin Chandler were both ready to make a massive leap.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, well he used to work for Brandon.
Speaker 6: Like Superstar, Superstar, Superstar Superstar, you know you want you.
Speaker 7: I'm glad to hear him say that about Brandon, who did kind of make a jump at time last year in the second half of the season.
Speaker 4: We take it. Definitely did throughout the season, he said.
Speaker 5: Jalen Lowe he's gonna quote unleash him, said he plays herky jerky like Shay Gilgess Alexander. His change of direction is elite, elite, and he plans on unleashing him to be a star.
Speaker 4: I think that means we're gonna see that dude shoot a lot. Yeah.
Speaker 6: They really liked him in the fit and how he has a pace of play. Pope basically said, we're just gonna let him go fast, fast, fast. Even compared him to an elite level tail back in football. How he can change direction and get around.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that was exciting.
Speaker 5: And then finally on Denzel, Aberdeen said, when they found out he was available, they didn't even need to look at an evaluation because when they prepped for the Florida game, they saw a guy coming off the bench that was terrifying. And he said, we didn't even need to look I knew we wanted him immediately.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the guy obviously in the National Championship game, he played the last five minutes of the game for Florida, So obviously he's that type of player that can play in his championship situation.
Speaker 6: So you want a guy like that in your That's something Pope's done a lot of He did that with the first roster. Here it's the guys he's played in games. I mean, they played against Garrison and then you played against Oway. Maybe even a few others that are slipping my mind. Maybe even Kobe Braham might have had a game against him. But he Pope likes guys that he's already seen in competition, So.
Speaker 5: You know, I mean it's he has his own He's not like cal Perry speak. He kind of has his own Pope speak, which is a different kind of speak. But I still left that interview encouraged, and we got a little bit of news that they're gonna get a couple more players.
Speaker 4: So it sounds like they're gonna use up the whole roster.
Speaker 5: They're not gonna have another time where there's like an eleventh and twelfth.
Speaker 4: Man not being used.
Speaker 6: He also, when talking about Otega, always said his future is beautiful. He had to get a beautiful in there. He couldn't help himself. I liked a Colin Chandler facetimed him during the interview and he just took it. Made Colin Chandler part of the show, like John.
Speaker 5: Rothsis, Well, we are here at kas bar tell me what you what do you think of the group next year? Or you can extend some of you. We didn't get to all of your ask anything questions, so feel free. I got a dodge podge of random topics today, no overall theme. But we'll also do a Tubby player draft. Oh Tubby player draft. We did it with cow we'll do it with Tubby as well. We'll take a break. Be right back to Kentucky Sports Radio. Welcome back. It is Kentucky Sports Radio. Tomorrow. I think we're gonna end up doing the show at my house. We had a number of you offer your places and I appreciate it, but nobody had the hardline internet that we uh that we need, so we're.
Speaker 4: I think we're just gonna do it at my house.
Speaker 5: So that'll be a rare uh KSR home game for me uh in in my in me cosa tomorrow.
Speaker 4: You excited to come?
Speaker 7: I am.
Speaker 4: We did it. There was about a year ago or that, right before we were on a trip.
Speaker 7: Yes, uh huh, yeah, I did it in your living room, so be good.
Speaker 4: So that should be fun.
Speaker 5: So everybody in the Highlands, I mean, don't come by, but in theory you you could come by if you you.
Speaker 7: Want to set up on your little porch outside.
Speaker 4: No, but you know.
Speaker 5: During COVID I would step on the porch and people would drive in honk yeah and say hello, which was always nice. Okay, so we have some breaking news shit running on as there Saint John's podcaster Davy eight.
Speaker 4: It's five thousand followers, so I mean you trust him.
Speaker 5: I'm on trust Davy eight because it also confirms with the news I put earlier last week that Saint John's will be entering the CBS Classic and will replace u C l A, which will lead to Kentucky Saint John's in Atlanta this year.
Speaker 4: Do you like that?
Speaker 6: I'm very excited about that game. When we did the zerv in the week, I picked Yukon to join the event overall, but sure one off with Rick Patino. I'm not gonna complain about that. Being Atlanta, Kentucky can have the better crowd, not having to go up to New York or anything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think do it. That'll be packed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, Kentucky and Saint John's in it in Atlanta. That's gonna be a I mean, that's gonna be a packed house. Cool game. That's gonna be awes just as a fan.
Speaker 7: You're looking at it in Kentucky, Uclah, Kentucky, Saint John's. Yeah, I'm all in. We knew it was gonna happen. Sooner or later, they're gonna play each other with the Pope and Patino connection. If it happens in Atlanta first, I'm all.
Speaker 4: For it, all right, So let's go through the North.
Speaker 5: Carolina will play Ohio State, we will play Saint John's.
Speaker 4: Who has the biggest crowd?
Speaker 7: Uh yeah, Atlanta?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, so it's us when Rick Patino comes out. Now, we gave him the applause at the with Mark Pope saying basically walking out saying giving him the applause. Does he get applause when he's introduced as the coach of Saint John's about to play Kentucky.
Speaker 6: He'll get a little, but I don't think so. It was my same opinion with Cal he's there to beat your team, you don't give him a warm reception.
Speaker 7: The fact that it's in Atlanta, I think he will get a little.
Speaker 4: I agree with Drew. A little bit of an applause won't be.
Speaker 7: Huge, but he won't get booed like he would if he came in here or something. I don't know if that he would get booed even here now not maybe not now.
Speaker 5: I think John cal Perry would get booed, although there'll be a time that he won't. But I think even if even if Rick played here I actually did, I think he's gonna get a lot around applause. The kind of person that goes to the CBS Classic tends to be a person with a little bit of like financial means, because it's it's you know, the ticket's a little expensive, and then it's in December, so it's probably a hardcore I bet they.
Speaker 4: I bet he gets applause. I actually bet he gets a decent amount of clause.
Speaker 6: He has a Unlike cal he has the mark Pope Buffer. Nobody wants to upset Pope. They know how much he looks up to him and how he's trying to welcome him back.
Speaker 5: Hope, we'll say that week, make sure you give him around of applause. Now, what kind of teammates supposed to have, like maybe the most talented team in the country.
Speaker 6: They have a lot of new pieces, which is I mean.
Speaker 5: Our schedule next year is gonna be is gonna be really hard. Okay, so let's just look at our schedule. We play who do we play in the Champions Classics?
Speaker 4: Michigan State, so.
Speaker 5: We get we get a break there because they're not gonna be great, but Louisville's.
Speaker 4: Gonna be really good. Yeah, right, we'll get an ACC team.
Speaker 5: I don't know this, but I think it would make sense for us to get Duke, right because we don't play Duke in the Champions Classic for two years. I think, if I'm guessing the likely scenarios, we play Duke at home this year and Duke there next year. I mean, you gotta think they're gonna do that at some point. Isn't this year to do it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I would bet anything it's Duke or North Carolina, and Duke would be the favorite of Duke.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because next year we play North Carolina and Champions Classic. So I don't think they're gonna want to put us, you know, with them. So, I mean, I think the schedule is gonna be Michigan State, Duke, Louisville, Indiana, and Saint Johns and Gonzak.
Speaker 4: I mean, that is a hard schedule.
Speaker 5: That is a hard schedule at Louisville Duke at home, Michigan State and Saint John's on a neutral.
Speaker 4: Court, Indiana at home, Gonzaga in Nashville.
Speaker 7: That's pretty strong.
Speaker 4: And where is that? Where's this? Where's the Champions Classic? New York? New York?
Speaker 5: So we're looking at we're playing it, looking at playing in New York, Atlanta and Nashville.
Speaker 7: Well, if you're a fan that that's pretty good. You can't ask for something better. And those are all reachable destination you can go and watch these big games.
Speaker 5: I mean that's those are six hard games. Like those are six hard games. And then you know we play three stinky teams. Have what else has been announced from the schedule? Has anything else been announced? Any of the stinky games?
Speaker 4: Have they been?
Speaker 6: Hadn't Bellerman been announced announced?
Speaker 3: That's not a stinky game though.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean they were awful this year, weren't they like four and twenty.
Speaker 3: They got a new coach though, they'll be but.
Speaker 4: It's his son, so I mean it's gonna be a simple Listen.
Speaker 5: I love Scotty. He just had a tough final year. But play Bellerminton. So we kind of know at this point, Ryan, what our schedule is and after hearing Pope talk yesterday, I'm like, let's go.
Speaker 7: Bring it on. We're going if he likes the roster and says we can make a run, Let's start.
Speaker 5: At Saint John's, Duke and Louisville. Those will be three of the top seven teams in the country. Wow, we're gonna play three of the top preseason seven.
Speaker 6: That's gonna be big tickets. Also in C Central, that was reported. Okay, And I've heard a rumor to look out for. I don't even know the name of the school. I think it's like Texas Rio Grand Valley. Yes, just remember KSR told you first to look out for the fighting ut RGVS. That is a school. Yeah, I think we play them. It hadn't been announced. I just the streets have whispered that to me in the past. The streets are talking about that, you know. I just I keep my ear to the les of the streets and sometimes information just pops up.
Speaker 7: There's a Pope connection there right in the head coach, I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's just look out for I guess Rio Grand Valley. There we go.
Speaker 3: Who's first, Shannon, Let's go to Sean.
Speaker 8: Sean, go ahead, Sean, Hey, guys, it's nice to have a coaching and now back to the mentality of we'll play anybody anywhere. You know, we started that way back in twenty ten, and then it migrated to we need to give these freshmen time to jail. So it's nice to very true.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: So so the reason I called though, I listened to the podcast the other day and you guys are talking about the elam ending, which I'm for. It's it's a great thing. But I think college basketball has always had this mentality of we're the purest form of basketball. You don't see a lot of major changes. You haven't seen major changes. However, I want to make the case for real quick and I want to hear you're all day. Let's go, let's get yeah, let's go to six files. The reason for that is we keep we keep your superstars in the game. Uh. You know in the day and age where it costs a lot to go to games, Uh, you know, fans, fans gets enjoy it, and it takes the pressure off the official to keep the superstars in the game. I want to I think it would.
Speaker 4: Be the next change.
Speaker 5: College basketball needs to make quarters instead of halves. And then I like six foules. Play the best guys quarters instead of have you then you don't have the situation. You get two fouls in the first half, you're out. I think that's a that nobody wants to see that. Nope, we'll take a break right back.
Speaker 4: It's KSR attorney TJ.
Speaker 3: Smith, personal injury attorney called TJ. He'll make them pay now.
Speaker 2: More of Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage.
Speaker 3: Here's Matt Jones, quarkter back.
Speaker 5: Tugy Sports Radio. F I'm nine two twenty two eighty seven. Hey, those of you on the text machine seven seven two seven seven four five two five four. I uh was stuck in an appointment for a little while yesterday. Reading a lot of these texts, One person writes, Matt, if we pay the player six fouls and quarters, sounds like the NBA. I can't stand the NBA. Well what is I mean? People who say they can't stand the NBA? What can't you stand?
Speaker 4: Like? What is it?
Speaker 5: You don't like? The season's way too long? I understand that, but a good playoff game is good. The only difference between the NBA and college is that the NBA guys are better, But in terms of style of play, they're getting very similar.
Speaker 4: Used to be, the NBA was a completely different style of play.
Speaker 5: But if you watch NBA games now, they shoot threes, they spread the floor, they play zones sometimes like it's the game is similar.
Speaker 4: They're just really good.
Speaker 6: Well the textra So they don't like the NBA. Is it because there's six fouls and four quarters? Because that's the point we're trying to make here, Like maybe you don't like the NBA, that's fine, but I don't think the six fels would really like.
Speaker 5: I would like Ryan there to be a moratorium. Can all of us agree on this moratorium? Everyone just don't ever complain about players being paid again, Like about every fifth messages, I'm tired of these getting.
Speaker 4: Like it's not gonna change.
Speaker 5: So you can either you can either be okay with it or just not watch college sports. But the I don't think guys should be paid like this, or I don't think they should be paid as much. Like you just need to get over it. It's kind of well, okay, you know.
Speaker 6: There's a lot of money in the sports. Somebody's gotta get it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, It's like if you're watching golf and going like, I don't think there should be putting.
Speaker 4: That's you. Yeah, And that's why I don't play.
Speaker 5: All the time, because they're not gonna get rid of putting You're They're never gonna get rid of pay anymore.
Speaker 4: So if that's your problem, you probably just need to move on.
Speaker 7: Times are a changing, man. You got adapt to a changing world. We adapted to cell phones, we adapted to the Internet. You gotta adapt on once in a while. You gotta adapt to something like this.
Speaker 5: Speaking of adapting, Mark Zuckerberg, who I think might be the weirdest person on the planet. I thought Elon Musk was the weirdest person, but I think Mark Zuckerberg is worse because Mark Zuckerberg is wearing gold chains and T shirts and I think he looks ridiculous. I mean, he is the nerdiest person and he clearly thinks he's.
Speaker 4: Cool and that he's the worst. But anyway, he.
Speaker 5: Was on a theo Von podcast and theo Von asked him about AI friends. Shannon, do you know what an AI friend is? No, it's basically they're creating this thing where you can have something on your phone that's AI that will be your friend. Like, ask you how your day was have a conversation with your mom? Would you eat for dinner? And over time it'll learn who you are and in theory, become your friend. And Mark Zuckerberg said that the average person only has three friends.
Speaker 4: First of all, you think that's.
Speaker 2: True depends on what you call like friend, you know, like there's acquaintances.
Speaker 5: But what what do you call a friend? Like what do you think a friend is? Is it somebody you spend a lot of time with? Is it somebody you like? How many friends do you think you have?
Speaker 4: Like friends?
Speaker 5: By whatever definition you want to give Drew, how many friends do you have a lot more than three? I don't know, over fifty I don't even know how to you have more than anyone I know, but over fifties a lot.
Speaker 4: What would you classify as friends?
Speaker 7: I think somebody you keep in contact with, Like my high school friend only talk once a year, but he's still my friend.
Speaker 5: I think to be your friend, they have to you have to either be in their house or they're in your house in the last year.
Speaker 4: See, I don't know.
Speaker 3: My guys aren't my friends?
Speaker 5: Then that's true that I've never been in Shannon's house, So maybe Shannon's not my friend. Well either way, what I would say, I have like eight like like good friends.
Speaker 4: I have acquaintances or people I lie.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you're your inner circle.
Speaker 4: Of good friends.
Speaker 5: Says that most people have three or less friends, and he says, studies say you need fifteen friends. I don't know where these studies are that you need fifteen friends. And he said he thinks AI can be your other twelve friends, and he thinks there's nothing wrong with that, and one day we will be accepted that you will get on your phone and you'll go, I want to talk to AI friends seven today and they're always available, and they will, and that that will replace some human friendships.
Speaker 4: Now I think that's absolute nonsense.
Speaker 2: Sounds better than my normal friends though, because they're never available.
Speaker 5: Okay, well there you go. That's what I was gonna say. Yeah, all right, so it sounds like nonsense. But Channon just said, you know, sometimes like my friends, they've all had kids. You know, sometimes they're like my snot nosed kid has to like play volleyball, or you know, we gotta go to King's Island or I don't know, something like that, and then they're not available. Could it be that you could get that same connection with an AI for ITD.
Speaker 7: My initial reaction is, this is very sad. It's sad to me that they're But there are people out there, like maybe people who work it from home since COVID, and maybe they're a single mom the kids are out of the house, or.
Speaker 9: A dad the kids are out of the house. It's so good that like it looks like a real person. So it looks like a real person. It talks like a real person.
Speaker 5: You talk to them over zoom, and it's everything a person would be, except they're actual, not a real person.
Speaker 7: It's like I said, I think it's it's sad to think about it, but yeah, I'll be I would be happy for those people who at least not feel lonely and have some something.
Speaker 4: You would try to be friends with one of them.
Speaker 7: No, negative, not a chance.
Speaker 4: I think it's terrible.
Speaker 6: It's just gonna be more people being isolated, not looking up from their screens and not knowing how to exist in the real.
Speaker 5: I agree with you. He was taking up for it. He was like, in fifty years, everyone will look at this differently. He was like, in fifty years, AI friends will be almost like psychologists. They will give you what a friend gives you. It's just you can't touch them and see them.
Speaker 6: But what about when you have to go into the real world where there are real people and you have to interact.
Speaker 4: With people, then you'll be as awkward as he is.
Speaker 5: No, but I do wonder if some extent his view is like perpetuated by the fact that.
Speaker 4: He's awkward and weird. Uh huh. Yeah, and so maybe it works for him.
Speaker 7: You know, the folks that are stuck at home, I think you can order your groceries.
Speaker 4: You don't. You don't have to really leave anymore.
Speaker 7: You every think unless you have to work, you can work from home, you know, with a lot of the folks. So maybe this is a way.
Speaker 4: I found the interview. It's like three or four minutes.
Speaker 5: I found it very sad because he's probably right that it will fill that for a lot of people.
Speaker 4: But it is kind of sad. It's sad though, yep.
Speaker 5: But at the same time, I also will say, like, there's people who listen to the show. I'm like this with certain podcasts. I don't know those people, but I listen and I wouldn't say they're my friend, but I do get connection.
Speaker 4: So that's a great point.
Speaker 7: We have people call the show all the time and I get it.
Speaker 5: Look I'm the same way. I'm like that with so I don't know. I found it an interesting conversation, even though he is ridiculous looking on all sides. What's next, chester Chester? How are you Chester?
Speaker 10: Hey man, I'm doing pretty good. I had a question for you that I was wanting to know if you thought could ever become a row at reality in this new nil situation of things. Could you ever foresee a situation where Mark Pope would go down to say like an each and basically they work out in agreement where they would kind of work together on the NIL and send like the Travis Perry for the world there for a couple of years and then they practiced together and just I'd love to see that.
Speaker 4: The school was it where this coach just said this the other day.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think we even talked about it. Maybe like a G League Creuit college. There was a coach maybe he was at Fordham or something. There was a coach at one of these schools.
Speaker 5: We talked you what I talked about off the air that said they wanted to be this for a big program. They're like, we've talked to big programs about you go recruit eight guys in a recruiting class and send us forth and we'll do the first two years for them and then send them to you. That will basically be like your Triple A school, that this is like a mid major program.
Speaker 4: I think it makes sense.
Speaker 5: I think it would make perfect sense to say, you know, hey, Travis Perry, rather than why don't you go to Eastern.
Speaker 4: For you know, he'd already played for a year, so maybe you take.
Speaker 5: A notch below Travis Perry, but whoever, and you say, go play at Eastern where you can start and play every day, and then you'll be ready for us.
Speaker 4: And if you're not good enough, then you can find a school that's on the level you want.
Speaker 5: And if you're Eastern, you're gonna get talent that maybe you wouldn't have got otherwise, you know.
Speaker 7: You know, not along the same lines, but you know, we heard at Tennessee had tucked the wet guy away down at Lincoln Memorial thinking maybe they were gonna get it you end up giving.
Speaker 4: But that would make a lot of sense.
Speaker 5: There's a kid I saw who signed with Lincoln Memorial, who said that one of the major colleges. He didn't say he stuck me over here, but they suggested.
Speaker 4: I go here.
Speaker 5: Lincoln Memorial, I think is taking that view so true. I actually think it makes sense.
Speaker 6: I like the idea. You'll need it to get when they have contracts, so you know you're getting the guy back, so you don't just send someone you really want, kind of like the freeman at Lincoln Memorial ends up going to Auburn instead of Tennessee after Tennessee thought they had that one for a while. So I would want it in writing before I send them off to another school. But I think it would be a good idea.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Chester, I think it's a great idea. And if I'm in Eastern Kentucky, I embrace that because like Lincoln Memorial, that dude that went there, he might ended up in the NBA and one day they could hang up on their thing that this NBA played at his school and then went to Auburn, and then that helps them get other guys.
Speaker 4: So I think it's a great aye and.
Speaker 6: You might even get fan interest of their familiar to the player would normally go to an Eastern game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's exactly right.
Speaker 5: If Kentucky, if we had a triple A squad in Eastern Chester, I'd go watch more games.
Speaker 10: Yes, sir, Yes, sir, I would, And I think it would be even a great opportunity. I don't know how much they could even do this, but you know, if they were working, if coach Pope and the coach down there worked together, they had worked the same system, they you know, like they could work together. And I think it'd be awesome for Eku and coach Hamilton down there, and also for the Cats and the fans.
Speaker 5: I totally agree with you appreciate the Colchester. When you look into the mirror in the morning, what do you.
Speaker 4: See a beautiful human being? Well, you might also see spots on your skin. That would worry.
Speaker 7: I do have one.
Speaker 4: Well, how about the Kentucky Skin Cancer Center.
Speaker 7: Maybe should go see him.
Speaker 4: Well, we're gonna be our next Friday. Okay, okay, do you have one for real?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's on one of my sides of the brown specific You should go look.
Speaker 4: Get that checked out, Get that checked out. We'll check this one right here.
Speaker 7: I know it's it's on one side.
Speaker 4: Is it on this side? That's a huge spot for.
Speaker 5: You to think is on the other side. Look at that. That's oh yeah, we gotta get that checked out. We'll get it checked out at the Kentucky Skin Cancer Center Paduca, Franklin, Bowling Green and Owensboro. You can go get them checked out. Uh make sure you're not you there's no reason to have any worry. They can cure your skin cancer and give uh the best cosmetic uh cosmetic result possible. It's a Kentucky Skin Cancer Center and we are there next Friday in Owensboro at twenty nine to fifteen New Heartford Road in Owensboro, the Kentucky Skin Cancer Center where you're not just a patient. We'll treat you like family. Learn more at Kentucky Skin Cancer Center dot com.
Speaker 4: Sean, that's you should get. That's big. Yeah.
Speaker 7: My doctors looked at it. It's just like a son. She calls it a sun spot. But I guess yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Get that checked out. Go check it. I checked out.
Speaker 6: I heard Shannon's getting a facial during the pre show on Friday while we're there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as long as we can pull that off, I'll do it.
Speaker 5: All right, Well, good deal, we'll take a break very BACKSKN Tucky Sports Radio.
Speaker 4: Welcome back Tekey Sports Radio.
Speaker 5: If I'm not in two eight oh twenty two eighty seven, text machine is seven seven two seven seven four five two five four one person rights. I know how Ryan's mind works. He thought the spot was on the other side because when he looks in the mirror, it's on the other side.
Speaker 4: That is a good guess as to how your mind works. Probably is that's why you thought it was on the other side.
Speaker 7: Really, even sitting how I don't I didn't know which side it was on. It was on one of these sides.
Speaker 5: But like, if you look in the mirror the side it's on, it's gonna be on the other side.
Speaker 4: That's exactly dud that I know. That's exactly what happened.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that texture of the day was inside Ryan's brain. That one uh one press rights.
Speaker 4: Matt.
Speaker 5: You always say, I like when people start senses like this. You always say you're a good Christian, but you do criticize people a lot. You're criticizing Zuckerberg doesn't seem very Christian Like.
Speaker 4: Well, here's what I would say.
Speaker 5: I doubt there's any or very few human beings on earth that don't criticize anyone if you do, I'll give you applause. I remember when my mom was a prosecutor. Sometimes, you know, in Bell County there would be very like, very religious like people and they would occasionally come in and say, I can't be on the jury because I don't believe you can judge anyone.
Speaker 6: And I should have tried that one.
Speaker 4: Well, you have to say, what do you know what denomination believes that?
Speaker 6: No, but I would have definitely found out for one of my ten jury dute.
Speaker 4: Eastins Well, I think the judge.
Speaker 5: The judge would then act like ask questions to make sure they were sincere in their belief so you might need to know at least what verse that comes from. But that was and they could get off jury duty sometimes by saying it is my faith. I do not judge anyone. So except those people, I don't believe anyone does not judge or critical size similar right, I'm sure that person that wrote that, if I scroll up, they call me a stinking liberal, like seven or eight tweets before that.
Speaker 6: Most of the good gossip in church circles anyway, Like I'm thinking about Steve Harvey talking about Sister Odell and that little skit. But you know, it's lots of churches like to gossip a little bit.
Speaker 5: And do you know one person that doesn't judge anyone ever? Come on, no, no, And by the.
Speaker 4: Way, this Larry.
Speaker 6: Maybe Larry would be my guess.
Speaker 5: You know, Larry would be the closest. But even he sometimes will go I don't like the way he acts, so I think away from that person, you know, I I don't think that that that that happens. If I'm nine two eighth eighty seven, we're gonna do a h Turby a Tubby draft nice here in uh in just a minute, one question, rights, Matt, I haven't heard anything about the.
Speaker 4: UK football team in months. Good sign, bad sign?
Speaker 7: My take is that's a bad sign. I think they know they're they're replacing sixteen starters, They've got new faces all over the time.
Speaker 4: I think they know they're gonna stink.
Speaker 7: I think if they knew they were gonna be good, they'd be pounding their chest a little bit.
Speaker 5: But or maybe is it the ever they've been pounding their chest for the last few years didn't go well and they've taken a lot of criticism for it, and so they're they're taking a step.
Speaker 4: Back I hope. I just don't feel that way.
Speaker 6: I think that's it. They don't want to set a high bar and then fall short and just get even more criticism than what they've already gotten. They have been very quiet over there since the since the off season started.
Speaker 5: Let me ask you a question. Well, these are hard heart these are fans that would know. We'll ask you, sir, do you know what the name of our quarterback is going to be next year?
Speaker 4: Yeah? What is it? Yeah? See you don't But what's his name? Do you know his name? I mean, this is not a criticism of you.
Speaker 5: I just think Nick Calzada or Nick Calzada, Zach Calsanda proved your point, but his brother Nick is is. They're very close Zach Calzada. Okay, you get my point. Yep, we don't know. We don't know anything about him. This is our quarterback, the one position on the field that presumably you know, we don't know anything.
Speaker 4: And by we, I'm throwing myself in there. I don't know. I have no idea about the quarterback of our football team.
Speaker 6: I think it's all very intentional. This is the most quiet they've ever been. I said this when it happened but they had that spring game and the social media didn't even mention it for twenty four hours. Not a gates open, get in here. It was almost like they were hiding it from everyone.
Speaker 5: Chennan, Would you know Zach Calzada if he walked into that studio.
Speaker 3: No, but he would be old because he's a seven year guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, he'd have like been game or something because he's old. But otherwise yeah, I mean that that makes this a fascinating thing, and that we just don't know the team at all.
Speaker 6: I think they're actually gonna be a little better, but they know how brutal the schedule is and they don't want to set any kind of bar to fall short of it and have fans all over him like they were last year.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna have to do a lot of research just to even in August like preview the team, because I just don't know anything about them.
Speaker 7: At all, all these new faces. I can tell what I know about Zach Calzada from incarnit. Word's got a cannon for an arm and a.
Speaker 4: Little bit of a beer belly. It's got a beer belly, A little bit of a belly, just a little one. How do you know that just my scouting services. You have, you have beer belly scouting services. Yeah, okay, nothing wrong, a little belly. We like to Jared the rooms he's got. So he's got a belly.
Speaker 5: There's gonna be a picture, Shannon come out with him, like a six pack or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then we're gonna go. I don't know if that was right.
Speaker 3: They got touched up like Ryan's picture did.
Speaker 4: It's got Tristan, go ahead, Tristan, good morning, gentlemen.
Speaker 11: So seeing as how this is a fully pro Rick Patino podcast, I feel it's my duty to call in and say that everybody who goes that Atlanta game needs to boo him until your throats bleed and then boom some more. Thank you very much of a great day.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, it's not a pro Rick Patino podcast.
Speaker 6: Don't put me in that group.
Speaker 5: Drew is not pro. No, Ryan and Shannon are. I have mixed feelings. I used to be negative. I'm probably leaning slightly pro now. But there are people like that caller though, who are like, why are we not booing Rick Patino at every moment?
Speaker 6: Marcia, Yeah, we know. Marsha's gone on quite a few rants on the show. There are several people that will not forgive, whether it be going to Louisville or other things he did, and there's people that won't get past that.
Speaker 7: It's just crazy. His last time here is Louisville coach. He flipped us off as he walked out. Next time at Rupprin, he's carrying the championship trophy. We gave him a standing ovation.
Speaker 6: That tattoo's gotta come off before I turn.
Speaker 4: Is that what it takes.
Speaker 6: It doesn't have a Kentucky tatso interesting. Remove the tattoo, then we'll talk. Let's say, let me ask you this.
Speaker 5: The day Cow retires at Arkansas, he comes to the next year's Big Blue Madness, does he get an ovation like Rick?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 7: The next year maybe carrying out the twenty twelve trophy with the twenty twelve team.
Speaker 4: I think it's a little a sudden. Tyler Ewis the head coach, it happen, that would make it happen. We'll take a break right back