Speaker 1: Hey, vacationing a lawyer. Here's my business card.
Speaker 2: I'm Attorney Howard Ankle. You or someone who knows been heard it. Work akin law and get the medical bills paid, the lost wages reimbursed in the compensation you deserve. We're one of the largest filers throughout the state of Illinois of workers compensation claims. We're here to help call three one two six million injury law made personal. That's ankin Law.
Speaker 3: From your favorite source for Chicago White Sox Talk, delivering news, interviews, analysis and more. This is the socks Machine Podcast with your hosts Jim Margolis, James Vegan, and Josh Nelson.
Speaker 4: Hello everyone, and welcome to the soxs Machine podcast, now part of the foul Territory Network. I'm your host Josh Nelson, alongside sox Machines be reporter James S. Vegan and managing editor Jim Margolus. And hello Jensen. For all those that are watching us on YouTube at YouTube dot com slash socks Machine or on the podcast page at soxsmachine dot com. Look at all the nice graphics that we have and we look a lot better on video. I'm so happy about this partnership because it's really going to add a lot to our capabilities, especially in the multimedia front. But Jim Socks Machine, foul Territory, how are you feeling about this partnership?
Speaker 5: Feeling good. Feels good to be part of a network that is concentrated on baseball, cares about baseball, understands the timeline, the news cycles, the ins and outs of the season, everything like that, and is stick this talk to baseball, stick to sports, stick to baseball specifically, and that's really encouraging. And then also, you know, if we're going to go more in the video, it helps to have people who know what video is video does, versus going into video in a shabby manner because you feel like you have to. So it's nice that you have people who are enthusiastic about it, will help you along the way and really looking forward to it.
Speaker 4: Yes, and some of the changes for us at Socks Machines, So we've been doing two podcast episodes for years now, we're going to be moving to three podcast episodes. They're gonna be a little bit shorter in length, so instead of like close to an hour lawn, these are going to be between twenty five to thirty five minutes. We'll be able to do more interviews as well as far as episodes during the week. So for all those that have wanted us to do more on the podcast front, you are in luck. We will be doing more in the very near future. But I also want to give a huge stack thank you to all those at foul Territory that made this transition happen. Scott Braun, Mark Weiner, thank you guys for giving us this opportunity to be as far as your resource on the Chicago White Sox and Jeremy Meyer, you are a saint, sir. Thank you so much for your patients and holding our hand during this transition. As we've been working pretty hard at Sox Machine the last couple of weeks to move over to the file Territory network, so we're pretty excited. You could also watch James. He was just on foul Territory today on YouTube dot com slash foul Territories. He talked a lot about it and answered some questions regarding the upcoming trade deadline of the Chicago White Sox. So I highly recommend checking out that video. But speaking of James, James, you're back from Philadelphia. I'm so sorry about the air quality. As we're recording this, it is one of the worst air qualities documented history in the city of Chicago. But how was the All Star Game experience for you in Philadelphia?
Speaker 6: Never again will I pack for a trip in the middle of July and have two light colored dress shirts that I wear out of the three days I have to be at the ballpark.
Speaker 1: I feel like.
Speaker 6: The shirt I wore to the All Star Game had like different patterns of sweat from like various things I did throughout the day or how I was holding my bag. So yeah, that was my main takeaway from All Star weekend. But as far as like the players, up until the eighth inning on Tuesday, like I was preparing to write a story basically about like Miguel Vargus getting robbed of a hit by his my league buddy Andy pa Has and then things kind of flipped in a major way with him. It's funny, like it's a game dominated by pitching.
Speaker 1: Everyone liked.
Speaker 6: It's like elite arms that are on rest, and so like no one e been you know, we saw the socks skipt Kate Smith's when he's maybe a bit extended, but like see him at the height of his powers.
Speaker 1: He got like how does anyone hit this dude?
Speaker 6: And I feel like that was kind of like every arm in the game to some degree, the Gail Vargas ball people like people felt like bad luck with like you know, Murakami being you know, kind of rusty as he comes back. He's not at the full height of his powers, and he's trying to compet to home run Derby, Like he didn't look super and sync like that series of Oakland or Not Oakly And and I think the one at bat that Tristan Peters got it was against a really tough lefty as well.
Speaker 1: Marcus got two over no overpowered and.
Speaker 6: Lefties to like the guy who's basically, uh, you put this minimum like one hundred and twenty five played appearances the best hitter in the American League against left handed pitching. So he just smoked two balls from like these guys that like can't get a breaking ball in on him. Uh, the first one he gotta gets robbed of, but like the next one is the only extra base hit of the All Star Game, And all of a sudden, like this is the guy who's talent is speaking the loudest of seemingly a loud of the entire weekend when you know, Caleb Bonhamer looked fine, looked pretty fast running out of the base, but he.
Speaker 1: Went over to with a pop out on the groundout.
Speaker 6: He just looked like another guy who was like belonging on the stage but didn't stand out. Mur Commy gets eliminated in the first round. You know, Peter's is the last second ad, and you know, obviously a lot of his hubbub around him is like, you know, he doesn't even get to enjoy the All Star weekend because his wife is in the hospital. Nothing, he did enjoy it, but like obviously a little bit more of a complicated weekend. Yeah, Argus all of a sudden at the last moment, gets this incredible late moment in the sun and winds up being like kind of the big story of the weekend compared to like how little offensive fireworks or where everywhere else, And it's just kind of incredible. It's kind of like his season the nutshell. We're like out of nowhere when you least expected here's Miguel Vargus like starring the show. So and we've talked about him at length this season, but we didn't know where he's gonna go, especially since like watch in the tunnel, like I came down in the sixth inning because Pahes was getting pulled from the game and he was about to do availabilding. It was like, at this point, I don't have any of better angles. I might as well just go down there and talk to Piaz and God could suffer him. He was he was willing to play along. He's like I made a gesture, Begul made some gesture like I shouldn't have hit that, and I made a gesture like you should have hit it harder, and like, all right, this would be a fun little anecdote to tell a police.
Speaker 1: And then that happened.
Speaker 6: I figure, once that happens, I'm not going to go back upstairs the auxiliar press box, which is like a part of the upper deck, and I'm just kind of like waiting, like watching the rest of the game, and that like happens, and we're not sure because we're watching it on silent in the tunnel, like is he going to get.
Speaker 1: Named al MVP?
Speaker 6: And it's me and like there's an m wilbi dot com writer who got a sign to like Fergus once he hit the home run, and you know, Tribune's there and we're watching the TV on mute and we're trying to figure out if he's just been named like the All Star Game MVP based on the camera because like they show Cody Bellinger as like the team is walking on the field, but then they cut the Vargus and then we see Tom Verducci coming to Vargus. We're like, oh my god, he's done it, because like where he's gonna be if he's is he gonna come to the clubhouse or is he going to go to this like press conference room that's going to be swung by that, so we don't know. And then eventually, like we see him on the field, he runs in at one point into the clubhouse and then he runs back out and he says like I gotta go do TV and I'm looking at like Connor McKnight with PHSM was like we should just follow him. So we run out onto the field and he gets like taken, and we were watching him like get interviewed by a Fox and like dap up like David Ortiz and I'm at this moment, I'm like, what is Miguel Vargus's life right now? This is such an insane journey less than two years ago. I remember, like there's like this routine loss I had to the Mets, but like Vargas pulled a fastball for a double. I was just like he turned around Velosty like I need to talk to him. Like that was like a big development for him at the time. And I remember like waiting for him at that point and like how much skinnier he was back then compared to is he now. Like it's like this is such an insane trajectory for this guy, Like like he's doing live TV in his second lifeguage for a national audience. And he used to be this guy who were like, you know, he used to be a big prospect. I think we're supposed to cover him even though he's batty one oh seven. Now I think he's a big deal to now, like everybody knows he's a big deal. Like it's just it was like a I don't know if like we got like super amazing quotes because as he said repeatedly, I have no words.
Speaker 1: He couldn't sum up what it was.
Speaker 6: But just to kind of be there to see this guy like go through this such such a one eighty was just kind of like something I'll remember even if like I don't know if like he might be summing up better what it meant to him a year from now than he was, you know, in a moment after the game where he's just buzzing on adrenaline, so.
Speaker 1: That the answer began with my shirts. But now I think I brought it home eventually.
Speaker 4: I just want to say, when I was in Philadelphia the weekend before you, James, he was even hotter. Not that we're comparing. Philadelphia has been miserable.
Speaker 6: Pro I wore to the home run derby, I finding that everyone's like, look at that normal man. Tuesday was like, hey, how's it going. We've been here all day, Look you look tired.
Speaker 4: But like that, that's gonna ask you, Jim about the cool moment with Migul Vargus. This season has had so many cool moments, and I'm hoping that there are still more cool moments for the Chicago White Sox, but at least through mid July. Where does Miguel Vargus's home run of the All Star Game stack up?
Speaker 5: It's up there, I think, just as a symbolic moments for where the White Sox are in terms of the league. Like I think there have been a lot of moments that are more important to the White Sox season, like Bradon Montgomery's debut walk off stands out, especially since now we've learned what, yeah, that Rock Schwlowski was there and that was the game that he dropped in on and he's celebrating the clubhouse and that kind of informs his worldview as to what the White Sox are really about versus what the reputation was as he was learning about him. But in terms of where the White Sox are nationally, I think the reputations take long to repair. Like we saw the athletic poll where they're still down among the teams. Nobody wants to play for people hear terrible things about, and that takes probably a couple of years of on field performance or surprising investments to repair. But this is the kind of thing that helps, and that's one of the reasons why we decided to put our subscriber dollars towards going to the All Star Game is just because it felt like, if not a watershed moment, at least one of those milestones to wear okates an All Star who's a deserving All star, not like Shane Smith last year. He had a good year, but you know, it was an awkward pick for trying to figure out who was an All Star for that team. Like mcguil, argus is there. Miguel Vargus deserves that company on this roster. Whether or not the White Sox you maintain fair performance in the second half remains to be seen. But they've arrived to a certain level on the national stage. He Murakami and the home run Derby have Vargas. You know, he could have been a starter, at least he could have been.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: I think cam Narrow is a worthy starter. But in terms of like the way he's playing like he's uh, he's up there, and if he keeps doing what he's doing, like, I'd be curious to see where he is, like in terms of MVP votes. But I'm happy that you know, he provided such easy copy with the Homer. But I think even if he didn't, even if he went like a loud over two just being there. You like, there's one quote that he gave to James saying like you were there like when in in twenty twenty four, and I think it's important for them, you know, to see you know, James, or see us at these moments of like lows and then highs. You know, it's nice that they're having these highs to where like you travel and see them and they see you, you know, whether it's the occasional road trip, whether it's you know, the duel events as they call him. So yeah, I'm I'm happy that Vargas made such wonderful copy just you know, with his like whirlwind tour of Philadelphia. But even if he didn't, just like it's it's it felt important, and that's why we decided, Like even when we thought, like Davis Martin was gonna be an easy rep and he wasn't, Like that's when we decided to put the money for this. But like there was a there was a reason why we did it, and I think Vargas did a nice job of like making it very easy to see why we were there. Is because the White Sox are nationally relevant now.
Speaker 4: And you know, this week has been a great week for those that argue that beat reporting is not that important. Like James, I love the stories that you produced in Philadelphia and the relationship that you have with Miguel Vargas. I think at Sox machine tudor own horn. But as far as that angle, the journey that Miguel Vargus and the transition that he's made from somebody sulking after the White Sox lose to the Oakland A's after he got traded by the Dodgers to the White Sox to becoming an All Star is a fascinating story. Cap tip to Jesse Rodgers of ESPN dot com to be in the draft war room for the Chicago White Sox and shine a light on their it's higher draft process, so now everybody is more aware of what went into that historic decision for the Chicago White Sox and the internal debate between Rock Schlowski and Grady Emerson. This has been a great week for everyone that reports on the White Sox, so round of applause to everyone that covers his team. As I mentioned in WGN last night, there's so much good news for the Chicago White Sox that it's hard to keep up and cover everything. And we haven't even talked about Tristan Peters all that much in his All Star game and just making it for him even though he had to be at the hospital to take care of his wife. But he did get to play. So everybody got to play for the Chicago White Sox, which is a pretty awesome feed for the All Star Game. So if that's the only All Star game in Tristan Peters his career, he made it and he played, and that's a pretty awesome highlight for him and hopefully he gets more opportunities. But it's the opposite jim of Tim Anderson making it and not getting it at bad, Like I'm still sour about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it seems like they've figured it out over the last few years in terms of getting everybody into the game. They're a lot more awkward mid inning changes, I think, but you know, it's fine and certainly Fox like they seem to love the ads and like the full ad breaks for pitching changes everything like that. You know, if you want flow in a broadcast, you're not going to get it. Yeah, but they are doing a good job of making use of the players who are available and working around the players who are unavailable, and after all those years were counted towards World Series home field advantage, and I kind of like that, Like I didn't. I thought it was interesting experiment, but it really is an exhibition and is it does mean a lot for these players to be there and get into games, and so it's nice that players can without worrying about like the integrity of the game or with you know, worrying about like the matchups. And if you have Peters against the left East, so be it, because at least he's in the game with his Banana's bats, yeah, showing showing where he came from and being proud of it. And that's that's worth seeing.
Speaker 4: And through.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, it might just be me, but I appreciate seeing Dylan cease at the All Star Game just because it's his first one, and you know, I think everyone kind of viewed him as deserving back in twenty twenty two, and it was satisfying just because he's clearly, veryly still didn't cease because the interaction we had, I thought he had made eye contact with me when he was at his like press conference, which he did in an Aladdin T shirt while everyone else is in full uniform. I guess John Schneider was merely in a shirt and pants and not in a Laddin T shirt. But apparently he did because I came up to him during battle practice and he said, like, man, I saw you in the in the press conference and the way the light was hitting your head, it looked like you had frosted tips in your hair, and I just thought to myself, Man, good for that dude taking a chance. But now you're up close, I see that you just still have normal hair, and that interaction couldn't happen with anyone else in Dylan Cease. And it's just like the guy I know is still in there, even know one hundreds of million dollars later and now they succeed in Toronto. So for me, it was nice to have that interaction full circle. Then to see him again in the tunnel as he's walking out and be like, you really think I should get frost tips and him be like they look great even though like what he's her from.
Speaker 1: I love looking at like not real like I.
Speaker 6: Don't know if a real quality of assessment if it didn't happen, But it's great to see Dylan. Uh. Love my time with Sai, love seeing other people get exposed. The way he answers questions. It's like it makes me like giggle in the middle of the press conferences like.
Speaker 1: This, this is who I know and appreciate it.
Speaker 6: And you guys are experiencing them for the first time, like they asked them about like the avs, and he's like, well, I like it when it goes my way. I don't like it when it doesn't. And the end his answer and you're like everyone waiting a beat for him to expound more and like he's clearly done, Like yeah, that's Dylan, you got it.
Speaker 1: That's that's why I love them.
Speaker 4: And this is why you should describe at soxmachine dot com so we can send James to these events and you can have these amazing interactions. And we do have the technology now in James artificial intelligence can give you frosted tips so we can play this out.
Speaker 6: I feel like he was calling me a coward. Like here he is taking risks, wearing like a old shirt, says rub my lamp with the Genie from Aladdin on it, and I can't even have the carriage to frost my tips. Dylan's put down the gauntlet. I will see if we have we need.
Speaker 5: To frost and tips here, we sure do.
Speaker 4: Well. Through our friends from foul Territory, you could shop there twenty twenty six All Star collection at the new Look foul Territory Shop dot com The new shirts feature every All Star, including the White Sox, mood To, Takomurakami, Miguel Vargas, and Tristan Peters, and you keep an eye out for more officially license geared throughout the rest of the season and the bostseason at foul Territory shop dot com. How my dad was keypowed by an utility vehicle and surgery. Now, what should I do?
Speaker 2: I'm sure to hear about that.
Speaker 7: It's really great that you're getting in the medical care and treatment that he needs. Right now, these are three important things that I think you need to know. Injuries are unexpected in turn lives upside down. I'm Howard Aiken, and I'm here to help if you are a loved one. I have been heard at work for the car truck to write your accident call three one two six million. Andre law made personal. That's taken law.
Speaker 4: Now, we didn't get a chance to talk about Winna takomer a Kami a whole lot about his All Star Game festivities. He played and then he had the wonderful pleasure of facing Mason Miller and nobody this season is having a lot of fun against Mason Miller as a Miller struck out Marakami on four pitches, but lots of press no Shoho Tani at the All Star Game festivities, which meant all of this huge contingent of Japanese media and national media curious about Winni Takamura Kami. He got a lot of attention. And one of those things that James Figan tweeted about reporting from Philadelphia that All Star first base with Muna Takomurakami said he's not thinking or talking specifics about contract extensions right now, but affirmed that he would like to stay with the White Sox long term. And then last night on WGN Sports, Josh Friedman asked me about this tweet and about the possibility of signing me to Tako were a comedy to a contract extension, And here were my thoughts on WGN Sports last night.
Speaker 7: The fact that they can try to capitalize on this momentum they have and keep more comedy long term.
Speaker 4: The secret to sales is to strike when the iron is hot, and when you have someone that publicly says I would love to stay here and they come from Japan, and that opens up new streams of revenue that you've never had. The Chicago White Sox. Justinishbia should be calling Jerry Reinstart right now and telling him whatever you need, you got it. So then it really becomes a baseball decision for the Chicago White Sox and what their future plans are at first base. But I mean this White Sox future infield. I know everyone's really excited about Rock Schalowski. I continue to be asked, well, what are they gonna do with all these shortstops? Make the entire infield shortstops? That's what every MLB team would have in the near future. In the near future, the White Sox could field for infielders who have the potential hit twenty five or more home runs. That is incredibly rare in Major League Baseball. So for me, Josh, it's an absolute note brainer both on and off the field. The White Sox should figure out on how to keep Marikami all right. So that's my take. No need to hear more from me, But we did get a lot of questions Jim on PO Socks regarding contract extensions. And if you want an opportunity to ask questions from PO Socks again, go to soxsmachine dot com slash products and become a Sox Machine subscriber, and one of those questions came from Trooper Galactus. Jim, and Trooper wrote to us, if the White Sox are able to hammer out an extension with Marrakami, it's almost certainly going into nine figures. But how far could he double Andrew Bennettende's current record contract? How will his marketability, young age and huge strengths be measured against his limitations, weaknesses and injury history when trying to come up with a term and an AAV as far as his annual contract value. And this is a really good question, Jim, And it's one thing for me to say pound the table. Yes, the White Sox should do it, But how would you go about answering Trooper's question of what a possible contract extension would look like with mudetaka Markami.
Speaker 5: We've been using Kyle Schwarber as a comp throughout this process, like even when he was posted as a free agent, and everybody is trying to figure out just what the numbers were an NPB, how they translate the strikeouts, the power, the positional limitations. If there are limitations, you know, what can you play a position? Or is adh And it kept coming back to Schwarbur, and I think the production is pretty close, especially for guys first to go around in major League Baseball. That he's the home run rate, the strikeout rate, everything is pretty comparable, and the actually he's able to get so much out of the contact he makes is pretty remarkable. So with Schwarber, like he just signed a five year, one hundred and fifty million dollar contract, he's older, so certainly, you know, five years is running up to I think his age thirty eight season or something like that. So that's probably something to where maybe Murakami goes longer. But also Schwarber's got a longer track record of performing in the majors right now, Murakami's through half a season. It's been altered by injury so far, so we'll see how he comes back from the injured list. So I think this is why it's kind of a delicate time to try to talk about extensions and contract value, et cetera. Like get to see if this maybe not derails his season but interrupts it to where like he does need a while to come back and get back to where he was, since he walks such a fine line between his power and in his swings and misses to understand like where his equil abrium is. But that's kind of the first place I look is what has Schwarber gotten paid? And then you know, just h for level and then try to kind of do some secret sauce type for nagling in terms of you know, how much Schwarber's proven track record stateside measures up against the uncertainty. But certainly like thirty million a year for X amount of years seems like a good place to start.
Speaker 4: And James, you were asked about this question on foul Territory, but it was in regards to Miguel Vargus, and you mentioned Vargas could be a target for extension, maybe even Kyle Teal. How realistic is it too for the White Sox and even Murakami to have serious conversations about a contract extension.
Speaker 1: Serious like they've had.
Speaker 6: You know, they've broached the topic, surely, but as far as serious in terms of like get it done levels of conversation. I think if you Marrakami's camp signed this deal to re enter free agency while he's still in his twenties, I think that he's expressed that desire to want to stay. I think that's all well and good. That's positive. That certainly like builds the idea that he will stay or will you know, be interested in staying. I don't unless he's he has to want it so much that he's going to put his thumb on the scale, because I think the approach to strategy, the logical move from his side is to re enter free agency and test your value on the open market and not constrict it to getting what you feel like is a fair deal from the White Sox. You're always going to do more, especially when you're this close to just re enter the market. So like he can have that desire to want to come back and give them last or first refusal or however you want to put it, or chance to match whatever. But in terms of like what he would do to maximize his outcome, which was kind of like why you signed this sort of pillow contract, it would be to resign with the White Sox after twenty twenty seven, not agree to some deal before that point. So unless he's like so much like I don't want to I want to aboord our strategy level of like wanting to stay here, then I think that's the path as follows.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 6: I get extending him, he's extremely good, he's been very productive, and to lift beyond that, Like clearly it's a culture changing signing where everyone talks about being energized, that he's universally beloved. It's someone that they feel like his presence has lifted them, both with the presence of the lineup and the presidence in the clubhouse and just feeling like there were serious players and that the front office is taking the season seriously from the outset, like he's been a galvanizing force in all these ways. From a purer like emotionless quant perspective, it's the lowest contact rate in baseball in three years. There's another The exception to that is like Joey Gallo on his way out, and then it's another gap of multiple years before we have someone who's a regular, let alone a productive regular with a sub sixty contact rate. If they don't get this done, if they wind up having some other solution for first base, they're not crazy. There are baseball reasons for being like, eh, do we want to see this guy in his thirties?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the way, the way, maybe the way bottom of the scale.
Speaker 6: Contact maximum power looks at twenty six under a below market deal is always.
Speaker 2: Going to be.
Speaker 6: Easier to fall in love with than paying Pete Alonzo rates for somebody who gets it done in a way that's like walking a tightrope all the way down, and if things shift a bit farther at like some other delineation of their career where they you know, maybe when they hit thirty, you could easily be in a position of why did we rush to pay you know, premium value for these years because we were so excited about what it looked like when he was twenty six and twenty seven. Just saying that said, I won't be the person that if they signed Mark Comy to extension, being like blah blah the contact rate. I'm not that sort of soulis joyless person anymore. I'm just saying, like, if it doesn't happen, it's not like they're serious. They like winning baseball games as they sign them. If they don't, they've hated all these games they've won. They wish they couldn't do them. They don't want to win again.
Speaker 4: Just saying, well, Jim, we've talked about it.
Speaker 5: I like that an qualifier anymore.
Speaker 4: Jim, We've talked about it for a few years. In the show at some point the White Sox neither Jason Worth signing and it's Andrew ban Attende doesn't count in my opinion. So I get what James is saying. From a baseball standpoint. If you don't like the contact rates and you do not think Murakami is going to age, well, well then you have an internal solution. You can move ourgust from third to first when Rock Schalowski is ready to go and take over shortstop and move Colson Montgomery from short to third. You have that now plan in place. So I understand from a baseball perspective.
Speaker 1: Caleb Bonhamer pretty big dude, just saying, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but Jim Scarlson his defensive issues at Birmingham though. James, So, I'm I'm a big, I'm.
Speaker 1: A bit future first baseman.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh okay, okay, pretty nifty there, interesting, all right, I didn't think.
Speaker 5: About that first baseman is within his reach.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right.
Speaker 6: So Jacob Gonzalez walk so he could run and at plus run times based on how you.
Speaker 5: Look at the futures game, a thick crun fast.
Speaker 6: Oh, just saying alternatives you have, you have a million infielders shortstops gonna be at first base.
Speaker 4: You can build the entire infield out of shortstops and your future for the White Sox.
Speaker 6: But id telling your kids, like, do you believe Bottomers was a shortstop when he was coming up through the miners our.
Speaker 1: Forty home run first baseman? Really? Yeah?
Speaker 4: That thought, Jim, Tony I think was drafted as a shortstop too back in the day. So is Ryan Brown for the Brewers maybe one of the worst shorts ups I've ever seen. I'll think that this is a worthwhile pursuit for the White Sox. Now, Jim, the question that again, we have more questions as well from our Socks Machine subscribers Grenell Steve as always thank you, Steve. Who would you prioritize in approaching for extensions for the White Sox? And I think this is a good question, Jim, coming from Steve. But the other side of the coin for me that I've been thinking about since st segment with WGN. Could there be a fear I guess from Jerry Reinstorf's point of view, maybe the White Sox front office to not repeat the same mistakes as the previous front office regime who signed all that core of players to contract extensions and then ended up not counting against the books because they didn't stay with the team.
Speaker 5: One of the reasons why I've been even before this recent turnaround where the White Sox are tied for first place, one of the reasons why I was optimistic about Chris Getz released his approach was that he didn't you really consider extensions a a huge priority. Part of it is because the White Sox and a player is worth extending to a meaningful degree. But also we saw just the way the previous front office almost became complacent with the idea of once they extended Tim Anderson, Ewan Mancata, Elo, Jimenez, Lease, Robert. We saw this happen with Kenny Williams talking about the Manny Machado coming in second for his services and saying, well, if we sign Machado, then the corey likes so much might not be around, you know, almost speaking about it in extortive terms. And it made me think, like, oh, they think like they've done the work, or they've they've painted themselves into a corner mentally in terms of we locked in our guys. This is going to be the core for the next three four or five years and this has to work. And you know, once the pieces started falling by the wayside, nobody had trade value, there was really no way for them to pivot out of it. So I think that's one area where you know, we've seen gets be a lot more transactional when it comes to trying to figure out, you know, who might fit, going through a ton of options using you know, dozens and dozens players each year. As he goes into this building a team that is contending you, we'll see if he slows that down. But the fact that he hasn't really made a huge priority or talked up the idea of having to extend guys I think is ultimately healthy. And I think when it comes to Murakami and you know, the kind of extension where you're talking about signing guy past thirty, signing guy with wartz, I think that will be more of a justin Ishfia thing. You know, it takes like an illage type approach, Like I'm thinking, like when they signed Prince Fielder after Victor Martinez went down, and it was really like an over solution to a problem. They did not need to sign Prince Fielder to fill in for like a late Victor Martinez injury, but they signed him for like a huge deal, and there was a question of like, well, what do you do when he gets older? And you know, Dave Dombrowski doesn't care, Mike Gilich didn't care, and they were able to pivot out of it with the you know, Ian Kinsler trade. And I think it takes a certain amount of like, oh well, we'll let that problem you fall to tomorrow guy or twenty thirty guy. And we saw that with Rick Han, especially in you know, Kitty Williams S Lesser degree, because I Han did more than talking just talking about like how they couldn't afford to hamstring themselves like six years down the road, Like why are you planning for six years down the road when you shouldn't be able to count and having a job for that long just being the nature of a GM. And so like with when it comes to like signing that contract, that that Jason Worth contract, that that first one hundred million plus deal, I think it's going to take an owner or a GM that certainly has the ability to either write another check or eat the cost, or have a GM who's so transactional and'll be like I'll figure it out. I'll trade my way out of it, or at least I'll try to trade my way into something that looks different and maybe that the the alchemy is different and ultimately it's more productive than what we had. But there was just a certain amount of Once all those extensions were locked in place, the White Sox just stopped stop fighting, or they stopped like we saw like their constant addition of closers and relievers just they thought they had a lineup and they just kept adding on the margins rather than transforming the lineup. And so when you don't have extensions and you have, you know, no cost control, but you also have no years accounting for, still a lot of things you can do.
Speaker 4: And I bring this up because Chase Burns the Cincinnati Red just signed a contract extension. We have seen so many contract extensions, especially for younger players around Major League base we haven't seen it yet from the White Sox. We'll see, I think again, I think for me, it's a no brainer. White Sox, I'm okay if they want to sign Marikami to a Kyle Schwarber type extension, if their sales team cannot find partners in Japan to pay for that contract with new sponsorship deals and new television deals to broadcast White Sox games in Japan so they could see Marikami in action. They need a new sales team. I'll just put it like that, like how much money the Dodgers have made off show off show, Hey Otani. I'm not saying Mark Kami is going to bring an Otani money, but he should be able to bring it enough to help pay for a new contract everybody else for the White Sox, though, it is an interesting conversation. Let us know in the comments section either in the podcast.
Speaker 6: So what I'm worried about with the You know, if they don't sign Marikami, sales people are getting fired over this man's contact rate.
Speaker 1: Give him on the willies.
Speaker 4: Anyways, let us know in the comments section on soxsmachine dot com or on our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash Sox Machine. Before we wrap up, the Chicago White Sox are back in action this weekend as they head north of the border to visit Toronto and face the Toronto Blue Jays. The Blue Jays are currently in last place right now in the American League EAEST because of the Boston Red Sox winning nine straight games. The Blue Jays are six games low five hundred starting the post All Star break of the schedule, as they are forty five and fifty one. They lost their last two games and them in kind of sputtering their last time. They are five and five and at home this year, kind of a surprise. They are twenty four and twenty five this year in Toronto. And then you're pitching problems for this series. On Friday, it'll be Righty Spencer Miles for the Blue Jays and Anthony k will be the first to take the ball for the Chicago White Sox. And then on Saturday you have old nemesis Shane Bieber against Davis Martin, which Martin wanted lots of rest, and we'll see how he fares after an extended break. And then on Sunday, the White Sox will not have to face Dylan Cease this weekend, but they do have to go up against trey Ya Savage And for the White Sox, let's see if you continue his heater. Sean Burke will take the ball for the White Sox on Sunday. And there's been a lot of conversations I've been on many podcasts. James was asked about this question as well. What do the White Sox have to do to improve as far as their road record? And they start on a road trip three games in Toronto and we'll be recapping that series Sunday night before the White Sox head down to Arlington, Texas to face the Texas Rangers. James and Jim, I'll start with you, James, what do you think will be the biggest factor for the White Sox in this series against the Blue Jays. If Siakini Sirie another road series win.
Speaker 6: I mean, hard to say, but Tristan Peter is getting superpowers from crossing the Canadian border would certainly be helpful. Spencer Miles is not fully stretched out, you know, Shane Binger has been kind of iffy since coming off the IL, Like Treya Savage's last Star was awful. Like the way this team is they kind of separate itself or had these blowout wins, is when they just kind of like jump on these vulnerable starters, especially like they clearly because we see the downside of it so often, like believe in blitzing guys in the zone are early and not really letting people get settled.
Speaker 1: So if these.
Speaker 6: Guys are off or they have some sort of like either tell or certain thing that they're trying to eliminate, based on the way they've struggled the last couple of starts, they've kind of shown the ability to break games open against when they find starters vulnerable. Certainly been plenty of games where they have to wait to get to the bullpen and it looks like, man, what's wrong with these guys until the six or seventh inn. But I could go on like Anthony k pitching well, or Davis Martin needs to look like rejuvenated after the break, or Sean Bray could Burke.
Speaker 1: Continue what he's been doing.
Speaker 6: But as far as like the biggest thing, like here's where this could come and to turn into like convincing series win, it's just looking like, hey, all these Blue Jays starters are like kind of iffy at least just.
Speaker 1: Look at them. You know, you don't know what.
Speaker 6: Anybody fixed or figured out over the break, but sure at least going into it, it's like, no one, I don't see anyone who's like, oh man, he's gonna eat their lunch from the Toronto Probables.
Speaker 4: No, I like that, James, because it goes a long way of the White Sox offense could put up at least five runs or have those outbursts for their score and six or seven runs like we saw in their series split against the Cleveland Guardians a couple of weeks ago. Jim, how about you, what do you think is gonna be the biggest X factor for the White Sox in this series against Toronto.
Speaker 5: I just heard Toronto Probables, and I thought that'd be a good name for a team like the Nashville Probables. You might see something. No, yeah, you're looking at three right handed starters, and we've seen the White Sox have to endure a lot of lefties thrown at them. And you know, we'll see what happens at the deadline, or received it happens when everybody's back fully operational and knocking off the rust. But right now, like with three Wright's lined up and with their plan a lineup finally in place, like Murakami Beck at the same time that Kyle Teal is back, at the same time that Braydon Montgomery is up, and then you have Colson Montgomery who is fully arrested. You know somebody who seemed like he could use a little bit of time off his feats. Oh yeah, here's hoping he comes back refreshed. But you're seeing like the White Sox plan a lineup or like best case scenario lineup when we thought about what this team might look like in July, facing three starters who are all right handed and all either like you know, Spencer Miles is pitched well, but he's not quite up to five innings to start yet, and then you know Bieber's coming off the injured listening Savage was good until at last start, like the last Star was awful, but the few starts before then we're okay or good. We'll see what for him he looks like. But yeah, this is their time for their plan a front line lineup to show up. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think also for me, the biggest X factor outside of the White Sox offense on the starting front Let's see on how Anthony K Davis Martin at least start this series. Anthony K has been throwing the ball pretty well as of late. Davis Martin minute he needed that break. Sean Burke didn't want the break, and I think that's been a big factor for the White Sox on the road is how they have pitched away from RTE Field. If all three of these guys can deliver quality starts for the White Sox, knowing of what is coming in Texas, the fact that Eric Fetti and Noah Schultz are lined up for the first two games in that series, If the White Sox can save the bullpen and make sure they are rested because I think they're going to need them for the first two games against the Rangers early next week, I think that would be a big win for the White Sox. So lots of runs help. I'm with you guys as well. Let's see how the White Sox offense fares against these three Blue Jays. Righties, And like I said, we'll be recapping this series on Sunday night in the next episode of the Socks Machine podcast. But thank you guys so much for listening and watching our first show on the Foul Territory Network. Again, we're very excited. If you just discovered the Sox Machine podcast, you describe to the show wherever you listen to podcasts at a Spotify and Apple Music. You can also watch the show our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com Slash Sox Machine. Follow us on social media. We're on all the social media platforms at sox Machine. Follow James Vegan at jrfigan. You can follow me at sos machine Underscore Josh and if you enjoy your work and went full access to all of our covers to the Chicago White Sox Major League Baseball, you can sign up to become a sox Machine subscriber at soxmachine dot com slash Products. Monthly plans start at five dollars, but we have a sale first month right now. I think is what fifty three to fifty four cents?
Speaker 5: Jim, Yeah, fifty three cents. And let's get James O's frosted tips.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, yes, let's get James Lo's frosted tips. So again, go to soxmachine dot com slash Products and subscribe to sox Machine today. Get the at free version with the podcast and the website as well. So definitely sign up take advantage of that sale.
Speaker 1: The Sox misionn have that power over me anymore.
Speaker 6: It's twenty twenty two where he was the only good story and I read to write about him once per week. But this team has too many good players. No individual White Sox has the power.
Speaker 4: But you do subscribers, you do so again. Sign up at soxsmachine dot com slash products. The Sox Machine Podcast is production of Soxmachine dot com. You're for all of the Chicago White Sox baseball I'm part of the Vowel Territory Network alongside James Vegan and Jim Margolis. I'm Josh Nelson. Thanks for listening and watching.