Speaker 1: My League Books has all the knowledge you want. My league has all the knowledge you need. Legs, yet they have all the books that.
Speaker 2: The whole wild world one up read.
Speaker 1: My League Books.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to Malak's Bookshelf, Bringing a world together with Books, Culture and community.
Speaker 1: Hi, my name is Malik.
Speaker 2: You're host of Malik's Bookshelf. Let me let you in on a secret. I do my introduction every single time, and what I mean by the introduction is that welcome to Malik's Bookshelf, bringing a world together with books, culture and community. That introduction when I introduced my title of the podcast and my name. I typically do that every single time instead of just recording it and slicing it in as the introduction. But anyway, that's a little secreting about the podcast. But another milestone point that I need to mention. This is the one hundred episode. Let me say that again, and if you're listening to this, I need you to clap and shop. This is the one hundred episode. Milestone huge a brainstorm. I wanted it to be the right episode. I wanted to have the right title. I wanted it to have the right content.
Speaker 1: This is the one hundred episode.
Speaker 2: What I'm gonna talk about, what's gonna be my subject matter, who I'm gonna interview. Sometimes, you know, you got to just get out of your own way and let it happen naturally and all again.
Speaker 1: Sometimes we can plot and plan, and we can develop and what have you.
Speaker 2: But a lot of what I do on this podcast, and so again, a lot of what I do is interview authors about their book without questions, without script. A lot of what I do on this podcast talk about books, community, talk about culture. So I'm sitting around here for weeks and weeks trying to figure out and the most unusual.
Speaker 1: Has placed.
Speaker 2: An idea came to me organically, was in the restroom. Now, if you ain't up on them, spiritual baths, bubble baths, ows, fragrances, meditation music, then I tell you it's more special and it's healing. And you get up early in the morning, like four five in the morning, you know, take a spiritual bath, you say some informations, you try to go on to spiritual meditation. It's just devoting time to yourself to heal yourself and think about yourself and reinforce yourself. And through that process, I'm trying to block out everything, and it's very difficult because all these things trying to come at you while you're trying to just be silent and block out everything and just have a moment of peace and tranquility so I can get into the realm of manifestation.
Speaker 1: Right. But in that process of me trying to throw everything.
Speaker 2: Out, sometimes some things come to you that you need to receive.
Speaker 1: You know, our brains is a receiver as well, just.
Speaker 2: Like that television and the programming comes right through the TV where your brain is like that, and it's a receiver as well as a transmitter, and sometimes you need to be ready to received. And in that spiritual bath, in that very moment, it came to me a title, Why I Do what I Do? That's don't beat my title for the one hundred episode, Why I Do what I Do? And I always say children are one hundred percent of our future, and so what I was able to pull together for this episode one hundred episode is the title why I do what I do. I'm the heart man of books. That's right, this is Malie. Been doing this since nineteen thirty.
Speaker 1: I developed along the way.
Speaker 2: I'm not the same person I was thirty years ago. This is not the same business as it was thirty years ago.
Speaker 1: We changed. We because that's what that means. I'm better.
Speaker 2: I'm boulder, I'm more electric, I'm more knowledgeable, I'm more energetic.
Speaker 1: I'm more passionate. I'm more committed.
Speaker 2: I'm more cultural, I'm more community relevant.
Speaker 1: I can go on and on, but the point is I.
Speaker 2: Have changed, I have evolved, and I think I'm more special. I'm more magnetic, I'm more energetic. That's why I'm the hype man of books. No one wraps it up more than me, No more hypes it up more than me, no more enthusiastic and exciting when it comes to books.
Speaker 1: This is mine e more. This is my brand. This is what separates me from everyone else.
Speaker 2: Why I do what I do is because I love what I do.
Speaker 1: I'm passionate of what I do. And this is why.
Speaker 2: I have a podcast and I'm on one hundred episode because other people like Ron Seacrest and his team saw something in me and invested in me.
Speaker 1: And I'm grateful for that.
Speaker 2: I never saw myself as a podcast Everybody is doing podcasting.
Speaker 1: I have been blessed and fortunate to have.
Speaker 2: Thousands and thousands and thousands of downloads since starting the podcast. I'm blessed to be on one of the greatest, if not the greatest, platform that host podcasts.
Speaker 1: I Heart Radio. That's right.
Speaker 2: People ask me all the time, well, where can I find your podcast? Well, first of all, you can listen to Malie Bookshelf on wherever you listen to any podcast, but it's.
Speaker 1: Hosted on iHeartRadio. That's an honor listen.
Speaker 2: I never saw myself as a podcasting and I believe personally it has helped.
Speaker 1: Me to engage with the community. Even better, it has helped me.
Speaker 2: To talk to authors and interview them because I'd like to interview them gonna get me.
Speaker 1: In most cases, it has involved me into hosting book signings where I'm the moderator.
Speaker 2: I did a moderation with pastor podcaster Tim Ross, got a huge following, and I was engaged in the moderation on his new book called Welcome to the Basement, An OtherSide Down Guide to Greatness. I featured that episode and interview on one of my podcasts episodes. It has helped me to gain confidence, which is very important because some of these people I gotta interviewed on this last episode Let's Go, it was Tiffany Hattish, right, So just standing there talking to her, not being intimidated, having confidence, that's important. Listen, nowhere near on the scale and level where some of these people are. But when I meet Spike League, who I interviewed from the podcast, or Central the entertainer where I get a chance to talk to, I'm not nervous.
Speaker 1: I feel like I'm no different than them.
Speaker 2: And I don't let the stars study position and wealth that they all have intimidate me and lack confidence because without confidence, it's everything.
Speaker 1: That's what I like.
Speaker 2: Growing up and over the years I've had to push myself in areas where I was nervous or shy and petrified and introverted, where I had to come out of that shell and be engaging.
Speaker 1: And the books helped me. People in my life helped me.
Speaker 2: This podcast has helped me gain the confidence where I'm able to be.
Speaker 1: Malik two point oh. This is why I do what I do.
Speaker 2: Listen, No one gets to where they need to go or it's going without that comfort and aid and direction and push from other people. And I've had a lot of people in my life to guide me even when I didn't want to be guided to help me even though I didn't want to be helped. That's the way the world works.
Speaker 1: And I'm now.
Speaker 2: On one hundred episode and I'm a podcaster, I'm a ghost owner, I'm a former track Olympian, I'm a business owner, entrepreneur, father, a husband, and most importantly, I'm very handsome. Hey, you gotta have a sense of humor. That's what life is all about.
Speaker 1: Smiling, laughing.
Speaker 2: That brings your joy and it keeps you younger and youthful. This is why I do what I do, because I enjoy it.
Speaker 1: I believe this is my calling.
Speaker 2: I didn't always believe that, but I know that to be the case because the synergy and the energy and the forces all around me has put me.
Speaker 1: In this position. And now I know why I do what I do. Now are you ready for this? Are you ready for this?
Speaker 2: Guess who came to the neighborhood this Thursday and visited Malik Books. Now, this was an honor, This was magnetic, this was electric, This was a blessing. He could have chose to go to any place he wanted, but he chose Malite Books.
Speaker 1: He chose to make us part of his riding tour.
Speaker 2: Hundred and twenty years on Kiss FM Radio one O two point seven Kiss FM.
Speaker 1: Let's give it up for Ryan Seeks and.
Speaker 2: The Morning Teen, selecting Militue Books as one of the stops for his twentieth anniversary owned Kiss FM. Ryan Seacress is one of the most dynamic entertainers in the industry. He's a producer and an electric host on television on radio.
Speaker 1: He's so successful.
Speaker 2: And he came to Malague Books and embraced Malique himself.
Speaker 1: He treated me with love and grace and honor.
Speaker 2: It was the most embracing moment that I can remember in such a long time, and I was very honored and appreciative. We took pictures, we laughed, we hugged, we said we love each other.
Speaker 1: And but let me tell you this.
Speaker 2: They came and gave away one thousand dollars to the community.
Speaker 1: Someone won a.
Speaker 2: Thousand dollars from Kiss FM at Malite Books.
Speaker 1: That's huge. That's huge. They did a rifle and looked like.
Speaker 2: She was about eleven years old and she had the winning ticket.
Speaker 1: One thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Ryn Secret of the Morning Team also sponsored one hundred and two twenty dollars gift cars to buy books.
Speaker 1: At Malikue Books. And let me tell you, it was pot They was waiting in the line. They were screaming.
Speaker 2: When he came up to escalator to walk into Malik Books.
Speaker 1: They was shouting Ryan, Ryan rolling. That's right. Listen.
Speaker 2: Community embraced Ryan inside of Milk Books. I walked side by side, shoulder and shoulder as we greeted all the people inside of milik But we.
Speaker 1: Filled that out.
Speaker 2: We gave away one hundred and two twenty dollars gift cars and someone.
Speaker 1: Won a thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: All is sponsored by Kiss FM Ron Seacrest Morning Show.
Speaker 1: This was unprecedented. I've never had.
Speaker 2: A giveaway like this inside of Elite Books, so I was honored.
Speaker 1: I was just blessed. It was amazing.
Speaker 2: And you know my podcast Leak's Bookshow in the World together with books, culture and community, Well this was that type of event inside of Elk Books April twenty fifth, where we gave away one thousand dollars. We gave away give cards to the community, buy books, a blessings upon, blessings upon blessed. That's community, that's cultural, that's books. Come on, man, this is why I do what I do. I love what I do and I do it with a passion. And this particular weekend was also Independent Bookstore Date this Saturday, April twenty seven, and so we hosted Tamisha Booker, doctor to Misha Booker.
Speaker 1: Let me get it right, let me get it tight.
Speaker 2: You go to school, you get a doctorate, you need to be honored as such. Doctor Tomsha Booker, who has a publishing company called Hey Carter Books and wrote a book called Brown Boy Joy. We featured her at Malik Books this Saturday, April twenty seventh. She came through as our honored guests for Independent Bookstore Day. Just don't stop and it won't stop because I do what I do. And it was amazing to celebrate independent bookstore. The inside of Malite Books is one party and it's all nationwide. All the independent bookstores are celebrating at their locations. We had music, we had snacks, we had books, we had doctor Tamisha Booker.
Speaker 1: It was enough, a powerful day, powerful.
Speaker 2: Week Independent Bookstore Day, Malite Books in the Westfield, Covid City Mall and ball and Hills Crenshaw Mall. I'm just honored. I'm just grateful that community shows up when Elite host events. Next up May seventh, Ladarian Williams and I'm gonna be the moderator.
Speaker 1: That's right, the.
Speaker 2: Hype man of books. His book, Ladamian Williams wrote is called Blood at the Root. Come through May seventh, seven pm. Elite Books, Westfield, Covid City Mall. We're gonna be discussing magic power and guess what the main character of the book is Milk.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna moderate.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be talking about magic, fantasy, adventure, sci fi because that's what that book is all about. It's gonna be electric, it's gonna be powerful. We're gonna have conversations. We're gonna have a book signing. Go tomlitebooks dot com. You got an RSVP and on May fifteenth, time to be announced.
Speaker 1: But we got Shanie Henderson.
Speaker 2: Now she used to be married to Shaq and she's the mother of all his kids.
Speaker 1: She has a new book called Undefeated.
Speaker 2: Gonna have a discussion, We're gonna have a book signer and guess what.
Speaker 1: She's the producer of a show called Basketball Wife.
Speaker 2: And if they gonna be filming in sign Elk Books, Listen, it's gonna be featured on one of the episodes on Basketball Wives Shanie Henderson.
Speaker 1: At Malik Books May fifteenth.
Speaker 2: Time to be announced, but go to Melite books dot com get more details. You know you're gonna have to R's and fe you know it's gonna be limited Seaton. It's going down all at Melite Books and guess what, you know, I'm gonna try to interview Shannie. You know I'm gonna be already interviewing Ladarian Williams Blood at the Root.
Speaker 1: So hey, you gotta keep listening. You gotta keep toning into Mileak Books.
Speaker 2: You need to keep continue to follow us on our social media and if you need to email, email me at real Malik Muhammad at gmail dot com. Well, stay tuned for this upcoming episode because it's the one hundred episode.
Speaker 1: Why I do what I do.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Walcome, Welcome to Malik's bookshelf, bringing a world together with books, culture and community. I have a guest today and it's independent bookstore. Dank give it up.
Speaker 4: We got we got some.
Speaker 1: Folks in Malik Books on independent books no day.
Speaker 3: Thank you for coming by. This is important without independent books. I know That's how I got started and it was self published independent authors. Is how Malik Books got started back in nineteen ninety. All these books that you see in here, with all them one published like it is today. It's only because of your buying power that all the mainstream publishers are publishing our voice.
Speaker 4: We like to say, I'm lead books.
Speaker 1: We get voice to the voiceless.
Speaker 4: So Hey, thank you.
Speaker 3: Now we're gonna turn this conversation to my beloved sister. She got a publishing company called Hey Carter Books. This particular book here, Brown Boy Joyce she got about sixteen. But Brown Boy joy has been the one that has blown up. Let's give a round of applause to Misha Booker. So no one can tell you more about that book than the authors. So let's get right into it. Tell us about this wonderful book that you wrote, Brown Boy Jorge.
Speaker 5: Yes, So Brown Boy joy is inspired by my son Carter.
Speaker 4: The whole brand is inspired.
Speaker 6: By my son Carter, now my daughter truly.
Speaker 5: And so as a child, I grew up with a lot of anti blackness in my home. I was raised by a biracial mother and a white grandmother, and so I heard a lot of hurtful things about my skin color, my.
Speaker 6: Hair, my facial features.
Speaker 5: And so when I wrote this book, I wanted my son to have something that would be empowering so you can see themselves. But really my books are letters to my inner child. I write all the things that I wish were around and wish I.
Speaker 6: Needed to hear growing up.
Speaker 5: And so inside Brown Boy Joy you will find all the things little brown boys love, from gardening to being in space, to playing with trucks and just paying with their friends and just highlighting all the joy. And when little black boys see this book, I want them to find themselves.
Speaker 4: On the pages.
Speaker 5: I know that they are loved and cared for and cherished and respected. And yes, this is just a little piece of my heart that is into the world.
Speaker 3: You know what, My introduction was short and it didn't encompass her academical Now this is doctor Tumisian, doctor Tomsia Hooker, all right, she paid a price to have that di to make sure I mentioned that, And what what is it?
Speaker 4: An education?
Speaker 5: So I am a life and social worker, have a master's in social work.
Speaker 6: I have a doctor education health and psychology.
Speaker 5: So a lot of my books are rooted in black psychology, especially when books serve as counter messages to the negative narratives that.
Speaker 6: We hear in the world, and so we.
Speaker 5: Need these as tools and schools and homes so our children know that their place is wherever they are.
Speaker 6: They can thrive and.
Speaker 3: Grow when you know everyone, I've been nicknamed the Height Man of Books, Mali the Height Man of Books, and I just want you to know I'm featuring it for my one hundred episode coming up, dim it Up one hundred episode or Malie's Books Show bringing a world together with books, culture and Kummer.
Speaker 4: Now I never saw much as a podcaster.
Speaker 3: I can't thank Royan Cacris, Kiss FM, iHeartRadio his team for staring me in this direction as a podcaster. This is my one hundred episode, and I think this is a wonderful one because we're talking about representation, and this is one of the reasons why I'm in the industry is because it was a lack of representation and books.
Speaker 4: Matter, reading matters, you know, and we have to start without you.
Speaker 3: It talked to me about why it's important that we start early because most of your sixteen books, I'm assuming our children books, so talk to us about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I think when people think of representation, it's more than just yes, the exposure. But I see it from a safety perspective. I think when books are in schools, it lets our children know that this is the space for them, that they're meant to be there. They can see themselves, and that means that they know that reading is for them and education is for them. And when you don't see yourself inside of books or in a world, you know it's meant for you.
Speaker 4: And so when we have.
Speaker 5: Black books with written by black authors sharing a black narrative, it reinforces that messages and letting our children know that this space is for them, those books are for them.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah.
Speaker 3: And so I mean you guys, you're own publishing because he Carter hate Carter Books.
Speaker 4: You write a lot of books dealing with representation.
Speaker 3: Brown Boy Joy, which I'm holding up and we're doing the book signing right here today Independent Bookstore Day at Malik Books.
Speaker 4: Westfield, Kobe City Mall.
Speaker 3: And youven wrote about it, like I said, sixteen of them. And so what drives you, what continues to move you forward? You know, I know what drives me at Molik Books. I know what drives me is the hype man of books.
Speaker 5: For what drives you definitely my children, you know, when I look at their faces, I'm reminded of all the other children.
Speaker 6: Who definitely need these books as well, and.
Speaker 5: Just future generations again that safety issue, making sure that black children for futures know that we got them, we love them as a place for them. And you know, just walking into Moleek Books, it feels like black children should be here, This is a space for them. It feels love, it feels comfortable. You know, if you walk into a bookstore and.
Speaker 6: You don't see yourself on the shelves, then why why are you gonna read?
Speaker 4: You know, read the books.
Speaker 5: So all of my books have affirmations in them. They really speak life into children. I want children to walk away feeling, you know, just rooted and who they are and standing in there their purpose and helping them to cultivate a positive inner voice. So yeah, I'm mostly also driven by, just like I said, my inner child. You know, I speak to and tap into her as much as possible to make sure that she knows she's loved and chairs.
Speaker 4: So yes, I.
Speaker 3: Didn't drop the book with the showbus go on, It's not over because I dropped a book but thats just said that how.
Speaker 4: Important that book is. You know, I grew up with a lot of self esteem. I grew up not loving.
Speaker 3: Mylf and it's only through books. Like I always tell you why you get in the book business. I had a degree from USC but I didn't have a knowledge yourself. And part of that is loving yourself, accepting yourself. In order to be yourself, you got to love yourself.
Speaker 4: And I know that the way I thought.
Speaker 3: And the things I used to say, I didn't grow up with a representative books that talked about our experiences looked like me in the book. The first thing a child look for in a picture is themselves.
Speaker 4: And when you don't see yourself, man.
Speaker 3: I can remember all the years I gave greeting cards to my mom with all kinds of other people on there, because it wasn't no black greeting cars. You know, and it's so important. And you know you have your doctorate you in education. Did the book come out before you had your doctorate or did you get your doctorate first and education and then as it spin off to evolve.
Speaker 4: Your brand, you wrote these books. Yeah, so education.
Speaker 5: In my home, I think my mother kind of you know, drove home the message of you need to go to college, mad Sri, go to college, and so I kind of was on this track of, well, I'm just gonna go to college and kind of figure it out.
Speaker 6: So I wanted to choose a.
Speaker 5: Degree that I thought was gonna be needed for a long time longevity, so I would to psychology.
Speaker 4: Have figured a computer can't.
Speaker 6: Replace me, So that's why I kind of chose that.
Speaker 5: And I think with a lot of other the to all professionals, when you come from a hurt place, you want to, you know, give that back to the community. But I had already had my doctorate and my master's when I wrote the book. It was actually when I was pregnant with my son. It was a very dark time me coming into motherhood, that transition. I was not really sure how that was gonna change me. I was a career woman and felt like I didn't want to be slowed down and it was just a lot. And so during that transition is when I turned to writing. It was a creative outlet to express myself. And then when I found out I was having a son, a black son, so he's gonna need tools, and I want to be able to create things. So it was kind of a cathartic experience to be able to transition into motherhood and.
Speaker 6: Give him, you know, this beautiful gift.
Speaker 5: And when I first started writing books, I had no idea what I was doing.
Speaker 6: It was just my gift to my son and to the world.
Speaker 5: And I'm so glad that I chose it because's actually a nice compliment with my education background.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And you know, you travel the nation, you put on workshops.
Speaker 4: Can you tell us a little about these workshops.
Speaker 5: Yes, So the workshops have really been a good merge of my clinical skills and.
Speaker 6: Also being an author.
Speaker 5: And my main goal in the workshops is to help children cultivate a positive innervoice and just feel good and be able to know how to speak to themselves. I talk a lot about how powerful the brain is and that the messages you put inside of your brain those really mad. So today we let a workshop on planting at the Kannunga Park Library and all the attendees planted.
Speaker 6: Their own Basically, they gave life to their words.
Speaker 5: They had seated paper, they wrote affirmations on those they planted them, and really talked about how there's power in our words and the things that you say to yourself. They matter, And you know, I think as adults we may know that skills.
Speaker 4: So I'm really.
Speaker 5: Focused on helping our young children learn that and be able to take that with them throughout their life.
Speaker 3: Well, you talk about these affirmations, you talk about these words. We grew up with a lot of nursery rhymes that would very devastate and destructive towards like steaks and stones might break my moon, but words will never hurt me.
Speaker 4: How many times words.
Speaker 3: Have killed you, destroyed you, diminished you, you hate yourself?
Speaker 4: You know? Words are powerful?
Speaker 3: Yes, And we have to speak into existence what we want in this world and manifests what we want in this world. And we got to be careful what we teach our young A lot of these things that we're teaching and passing on, it's like we're passing on to the next gend the trauma not knowing better. You know, we you're responsible what you know. And I didn't grow up with these books. We hope that the next generation, because which is one of it's in our future, will.
Speaker 7: Take books like your books hate black black boy, I mean brown boy joy will take books like this and evolve and.
Speaker 3: Change, break the cycle, break the generational cycle.
Speaker 4: And so.
Speaker 3: Man, I applaud you for doing your part. I'm doing my part by being a bookstore owner. And what I mean, any plans for this turning into animation a series on TV talk to us about the future of your brand.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have definitely spoke out loud and I'm a really very manifestation and just saying out loud what I want. So definitely have said out loud many times that I see this as an animated series. If you look at cartoons, you don't see black boys in the front, and that's completely problematic.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: That's another reason why I wrote these books is because I saw on the shows that black boys weren't really there.
Speaker 4: And even a lot.
Speaker 5: Of times when I'm selling my books, people will say, oh, yeah, something for girls, and I'm like, I do see the need, and I definitely understand why black girls need to be front and center. But when you aside from your bookstore, of course, but when you're in typical bookstores, you're not seeing black boys.
Speaker 6: Front and center.
Speaker 5: So I am manifesting, you know, a animated series where a black boy is in the front and shining, and you are seeing him living his life, his happiness.
Speaker 6: His joy for the world to see.
Speaker 5: So that's definitely when I had these books in mind where I see.
Speaker 4: It going, well, that's wonderful, and you're right, we have to you know.
Speaker 3: I mean it was a book out called Conspiracy Destroyed Black Boys by doctor Juwanza can Chu f You? And basically, you know, he pointed out as a in his doctor and his degree and his education that black boys are under assaw and are being destroyed at a very age. They run them away from mathematics and they make math. They teaching a way to make them not like math. When math is at the root of every civilization. Math is at the root of nation building. There is no civilization without engineering and science.
Speaker 4: There's no growth.
Speaker 3: And if we running away our young, are you away from math?
Speaker 4: What future were we heard? Yeah?
Speaker 5: You know, black boys grow up to be feared as men. You know, black boys are seen as more aggressive, their emotions are misunderstood, They are giving harsh for punishments than their counterparts. And you know, even my son as early as two years old was seen as his age appropriate play and.
Speaker 6: Behavior was seen as aggressive. And you know that's really problematic.
Speaker 5: And then you kind of have that preschool to to to jail pipeline.
Speaker 6: You know, the prins of pipeline.
Speaker 5: And so it's really important to me that black boys know that they are loved and cared for.
Speaker 4: And valued and value and we matter.
Speaker 3: We matter, and our black sisters and black children and black young women matter. But we definitely have to put emphasis and I appreciate that on black boys, brown boys, because without.
Speaker 4: Our men and our children, our future is dismal.
Speaker 3: And so I want to take this opportunity to thank you for your contribution to the upliftment of the next generation, because that's our future and of our future.
Speaker 4: So thank you, thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 3: Tell the people how they can reach you and follow you and keep in touch with the moves that you're making.
Speaker 5: Yes yes so On all social media platforms, it's Hay Carter Books on TikTok, Instagram, Facebook, and also online at haycarterbooks dot com.
Speaker 4: Bingo, bingo, thank you. I don't want to mess up your name. Doctor to.
Speaker 1: Me your book the doctor, but doctor to mess your book.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to Malak's bookshelf with topics on the shelf are books, culture and community.
Speaker 1: Be sure to subscribe and leave me a review. Check out my Instagram at Malak Books. See you next time.