Speaker 1: It's the Son of a Butcher podcast. We come to you every Wednesday. This week's guest Ryan Chrysler. We've had him on the pod before. Works with me here at the Floridian. One of the best instructors in the country. But Ryan, it's always a fun week for us here at Floridian. We had the Valsbar Collegiate Invitational this week. Some of the best college teams in the country. Some of the best college players in the country. Would we have eleven of the top twenty at PGA Tour you some of the packed stacked powerhouses Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama. I mean, there are some really good North Carolina. They're one of the best teams in the country. Florida State one Luke Clanton who plays at Florida State. He won. But it's really cool for us because we've watched this now. I mean, how many years has this been going rc I.
Speaker 2: Think at least ten years, ten years.
Speaker 1: And one of the cool things that that we started here. The winner of this collegiate tournament gets an invite into the twenty twenty five vals Bar on the PGA Tour. So everyone that's won this tournament is going on to play in a PGA Tour event. I think Ryan, that's one of the things that didn't you know, when I talk to my dad, when I talk to some of the old guard, that didn't happen as much. Amateurs, college players were not getting the access to professional tournaments the way they are now.
Speaker 2: Correct. Yeah, Back in my day, you get your car through Q school and it's kind of gotten contracted a little bit over the years. But now with PGA two or you, all the players that are here this week, they have a chance to get a car, you know, and to get an event, an extra ticket, to punch an event to a tour player, for a turn for turn, a tour tournament that can change your life in one week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it is an amazing opportunity. You're a college golfer and you win a tournament in March of twenty twenty four, you know that you're going to play on the PGA Tour, in APGA Tour event in twenty twenty five. We've had some pretty cool winners here. I remember coming here and that Oklahoma State that had Victor Hovlin on it VIX one here. He's now a member here. But Matt Wolf, Chris Vin Tura, they were packed. I remember watching Cameron Champ play here for the first time. We had Gordon Sargent play here this week, who's one of the longest players.
Speaker 2: Ab won last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, lud big Ever won this tournament last year. So we have got to see kind of a we've had a ringside seat to some of the next generation of college golfers. But it's always and that next generation of college golfers is going to be the next generation of professional golfers on the PGA Tour Europe Live wherever, Asia, wherever. But it has been really cool to watch something. I remember one year Oklahoma State was playing in our tournament. Wyndham Clark, I mean Oklahoma State is their cruising to winning the team competition. Would win to make on the last hole a man or something. He made double digits on the last hole. Ninko was double digits the eighteenth hole here at our club, the Floridian, very difficult finishing hole, water all the way from the te box, all the way down the left hand side. It's just a very very difficult driving hole. So we've seen over the last ten years or see some of the best amateurs, some of the best college players in the world who have gone on to do great things. You know, Victor Hovlin, Camera Champ, Matt Wolf, you know Ludwig. I mean, these guys are all studs playing on the big stage now, but when we're watching them play on this stage, they're still making a lot of the mistakes that we talked about. So I wanted to go through kind of you know, the guy that won Luke Clanton, So eighteen birdies for three rounds, one eagle, yep, six bogies and he wins by five shots, win's by five shots. So we kind of went through and did a deep dive on his stats. So for three rounds, one under or on the par threes, right, four under for the week on the par fours, nine under for the week on the par fives, textbook championship numbers I think right, So didn't really make six bogies for the week, nothing special, didn't make any big numbers to make no triples, right. So Gordon Sergeant, who I think most people listening to this will know who he is. He played in the Masters last year. I mean, the guy is a.
Speaker 2: NCAA champion in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is a stud, right, He's kind of like the prototype of what everyone thinks a college golfer will look like. You know, there were a lot of people when he played at Augusta last year or see that early on in the week were saying, due to his length, could he be someone that contended. He missed the cup by miles, not a diss against him, But my point behind this is, so when we go and look at Gordon Sergeant, who is everyone thinks he can't mess right. Everyone thinks that he will be playing and winning on the PGA Tour sometime in the next two years. Right. So for the three rounds, twelve birdies, nine bogies, three doubles and then on the eighteenth hole here par four makes an eight, so a quad right, so easily one of the longest hitters currently playing competitive professional golf.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean one ninety plus boss easy.
Speaker 1: I mean he cruises. You can go on, you can go on Instagram, you can go on YouTube, you can go on, and there are a million golf swing nerds talking about his golf. The kid is a stud. But he still makes three doubles and an eight on a par four, nine bogies for the week, so the leader, Yeah, he only makes six more birdies. You would think that that would be the thing that would be the calling card. It's not. It's the it's the quads, it's the doubles. And so when we looked at Gordon Sergeant for the week, one over for the far three. So he plays the par threes in one over, which is pretty much about average. And we've talked about this on the pod before, Ryan, but I've told this story Jim Herman, who was a member here at Floridian. Jim Herman, by his own admission, would be in that journeyman kind of mule. He's just he is a rank and filed PJ Tour player won three or four times one in Houston on a very long, big golf course, something that you wouldn't think someone like Jim Herman would went on. But there was a kid that I was teaching who was getting ready to go play college golf Division I college golf at the University of Michigan, and I said, hey, give his kid some advice, and I'll never forget that. Jim Herman said, hey, play the par threes and one over for the week. You'll probably have a chance to win. So the guy that finished second this week plays the par threes in one over. Right, the guy who wins the tournament two shots the leader two shots back of the leader on par three par threes. Right, So you finish under par on the par threes elite for the week, you are probably going to have a chance to win the golf tournament just because the par threes are so difficult.
Speaker 2: So especially here because we have five part three.
Speaker 1: Yes, so we have five par threes. So if you can take advantage of that. But if you're over, if you're even, if you play the par threes, and I'll keep saying this, and I'm sure there's people listening or say that. I'll say, heard this before, play the par threes and even for the week, the guy wins this golf tournament cleans up on the par fives, under par on the par threes, four under on the par fives, are on the par fours for the week.
Speaker 2: Let the feel by two shots on that stet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he's minus four for three rounds on the par fours and he wins that stat by almost by three shots. So it just goes to show you, and I think a lot of players are going to be under par this week on the par five.
Speaker 2: Almost every I mean, the list is super long here.
Speaker 1: How many players playing there's.
Speaker 2: Probably I'm doing a quick math here. Let's say there's eighty players here, maybe a little bit more. Yeah, on par five scoring even pars basically bottom half of the field plus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So everybody is going to expect and is taking advantage of the part fast. If you're not taking advantage of the par fives, regardless of what your handicap is, right, So if you aren't making so if you're in that, I think the.
Speaker 2: Way you take advantage of the parth right par fives is you've still make any mistakes in the par fo yes, just don't make bogies on par five if it's too long. Do we really need to hit driver if we're automatically going to lay up and if driver's networking, whatever, if the fairways wider at whatever, your three wood distances to thirty two forty I about three with off the tea five iron, nine irons, something along those instead of maybe a driver mistake, three wood mistake dropping from sixty short of the water whatever.
Speaker 1: And we've got a stretch here at the Floridian. If for those of you that haven't played here, the stretch where you really want to take advantage of. Here is on our front nine. We have a from from all the way back, like a six hundred yard.
Speaker 2: Starting number five years.
Speaker 1: The fifth hole is around a six hundred yard but they normally play it a little bit of Yeah, but they're playing it over five. Yeah, they're over five fifty. It's a par five. Six is a driveable par four, and then seven is a gettable depending on the wind, but it would be the easiest, should be the easiest. It's a par five. So you've got par five drivable, par four, par five. That's where you need to make your score. That's where you need to kind of pick up. So it's always interesting to watch when we have the best college players in the country, watch them how they play that that three hole stretch, how aggressive they are and do they pick up shots? How many shots do they pick up? So if you've got an easy stretch of your golf course, every golf course has an easy stretch, and here at the Floridian, that is the easy stretch. Par five, drivable, par four, gettible reachable par five, right, so you could conceivably play that in four or five under conably. Yet yeah, I mean, you could you could go egle eagle eagle, but you're looking to not give shots way. So again, we're watching some of the best college players in the country, some of the best amateurs in the world still make mistakes on gettible holes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's It's really great for because I had one of our juniors on a team out there today. It's really great for him to see that the these guys are human and there we were on seventeen and eighteen. That's where I saw our sergeant make make the quad on eighteen and seventeen. The seventeenth hole actually played basically right in the middle of the pack for the holes they played at four point three shots over par and it's basically a two twenty shot off the tee, maybe into the wind today, so maybe it's playing two fifty and then it's a wedge on the grind and where the pin was today. I saw at least a three plot from every player or what from one player for every group that I saw, especially the ones that were the.
Speaker 1: Hole just getting out of position with a pott that's downhill, got a lot of speed, it's probably windy.
Speaker 2: It's one of our signature holes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, green's exposed.
Speaker 2: It's exposed to the water. The wind's coming in off the water. It's like three separate greens in wand today the pinless kind of front right inside the bowl. If you if you were out out side of the ball, you are pressing five plus eight nine feet to make your two button, and a lot of them didn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that is an example of positioning your golf ball. So you want to say, as a player, regardless of your handicap range, figure out where the pin is. We're watching some of the best college golfers. Who who there are people playing in this tournament this week, the Vallsbar Collegiate Invitational, who will be playing on the FGA Tour in the next two to five years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have players who've played in the US Open.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've got players major. Regardless of what your handicap range is, take a look at where the pin is and say, okay, let me give myself the easiest leave here. So let me lead this. If the pin's on a slope, say to yourself, okay, let me get this below the hole. It's going to be easier twenty five feet below the hole than it is going to be to ten feet above the hole. Let me look at where the easiest putt is. Do I want to be right of the flag? Do I want to be left of the flag. But I do think it's interesting that when we are watching a lot of these really raw college players, is how aggressive they all are. How many I mean, I'm watching, you know, over the course of today, I went out and I drove around and I'm watching college coaches shake their heads watching the mistakes that I can't believe.
Speaker 2: The quad that Gordon Sergeant made today, I just can't believe it. Water on the left side, number eighteen. It's kind of like pebble beach on the eighteen.
Speaker 1: But how far is it? What the planet today?
Speaker 2: We were pretty far back, so maybe four eighty.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's four eighty. But you've got to figure a kid like Gordon Sergeant hits his four iron how far to fifty? Yeah, so he doesn't even need to hit driver. There, he hits driver, right, he hits driver and he starts it over the water.
Speaker 2: He starts it over the water and.
Speaker 1: It basically double crossed. It didn't cut, didn't do anything.
Speaker 2: We're just basically hit it right on a rope, lined up right at the edge of the green, right side of.
Speaker 1: The green, thinking probably he was gonna cut a little bit.
Speaker 2: You know, that's probably brown fifteen twenty five out there, hit a dead straight right through it.
Speaker 1: And the wind's flowing from left to.
Speaker 2: Right to right, left to right for the player.
Speaker 1: Left to right. So picture this, so standing on the eighteenth hole, water all the way down the left hand side, wind left to right. So this player, Gordon thinks, Okay, I'm just gonna hammer driver down there right the wind's gonna push it. I'm gonna have nothing left because he can take advantage of his unbelievable length, and again.
Speaker 2: He ends up having to drop maybe one hundred and fifty yards off the team. Maybe I didn't see exactly where he dropped from. It was close that he could barely advance out past the tee. It was. It was pretty close. So the players decided, you know, probably one hundred and fifty other So he had like three probably plus three hundred plus coming in.
Speaker 1: So what do you do that next?
Speaker 2: Hits An Iron didn't see the rest of the hole unfold. I was back on seventeen waiting for Clinton to come through. But whatever the matter is, you just so.
Speaker 1: When you make an eight on a par four that's almost five hundred yards, you've got to ask yourself. Okay, for a kid like Gordon Sergeant, he could hit five iron.
Speaker 2: We play this game all the time. I mean, look at we talked about this in round offence all the time. You could literally go five iron, five iron, five iron and not even have a putter and maybe two for two putt for Bogie in that situation. Whatever. I don't know where Vanderbilt I think Vannerbelt finished second. Let me bring it up here.
Speaker 1: They finished second.
Speaker 2: As a team, they finished four shots behind Florida. Potentially a par there ties the tournament.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know how all the other scores unfolded.
Speaker 1: But when you're doing the math like that, he's going to look back at this and say, yeah, okay, I make there. Maybe we have a chance as a team to make to win. There's a lot of other variables, but in just doing some simple math, his coaches will be saying to him, hey, you make a par there, we have a chance to win this tournament potentially.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So Cole Sherwood sixty six.
Speaker 1: Today, Well here's the thing. R See if he does make par instead of making an eight on a par four. They've got a hell of a lot better chance, yes, to have an opportunity to win the golf tournament. Yes, than finishing four back and not winning.
Speaker 2: They had the count of sixty six, sixty four, seventy and then the fourth score was seventy two.
Speaker 1: Seventeenth hole, Bryan, it's a drivable par four for us here at Floridian.
Speaker 2: Great great design.
Speaker 1: How many players were you seeing try and go for the green.
Speaker 2: I'd not see anyone go for the green, not even Gordon straight into the win today.
Speaker 1: Okay, so there's no real reward and there's no real place to hit driver on our seventeenth hole. The winds blowing like that, it's into you've got a better chance if you take and driver of hitting it into one of the bunkers, then you have by just.
Speaker 2: I would say if three is a relatively easy driving hole or a driving course except for fourteen and eighteen here, and it's sixty yards wide with a foe iron off that tee with some of you guys the way they hit it sixty yards two bunkers out there, I mean it's no layup right. The green is a diabolically creative, three greens and one type of green, and where the pen today was just diabolical. Today's wind back right front, right side the bowl. Yeah, so above the hole. Seven eighths of the green is above the hole, and if you're above the hole, you're pretty much lucky if you make your eight foot or comeback for apart. So a great pen placement today. And again I get the stats. Played probably the ninth or tenth hardest hole.
Speaker 1: And how far is it.
Speaker 2: I didn't see exactly where they teed it up from today, but it's it's three seventy five maybe five. So Brooks has done the famous commercial there, done that, so it got the gain been on the green from every two box there. So it's relatively driveable. It can be done. Not today with today's wind. But the greens today were just lightning, which is really our main defense the green complexes in the chipping and putting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so when it does get really really windy, the greens are going to get firmer. The greens are going to get great today faster. Tell everybody listening, Ryan, when you are out there in windy conditions, like we saw the college kids today, and we saw them yesterday do it was pretty windy. How is that going to affect putting? And how is that going to affect short game?
Speaker 2: It definitely affects putting. It may, especially when those greens were exposed like seventeen and eighteen, they could add another two or three cups depending upon where the grain is coming in your angle. So it is a factor for sure, especially when it's gusting. It just makes putting really hard when it's that windy.
Speaker 1: If you're putting, if it's windy and your downwind, and you've got a twenty thirty foot foot putt and you're putting down wind, it is going to have an effect. It's going to add big it's going to add speed. If you're hitting into the breeze, it's going to add speed. If you've got puts at or barking left to right, if you've got putts that are breaking right to left the wind, if you are playing in a very very windy conditioned day, you need to take that into account.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of players never think about it. I think whether it's uh, the ball is too low to the ground, whatever, it makes a big difference, especially at the speed of today's greens.
Speaker 1: One of the other things I always love about watching all these college kids play is just the sheer, reckless abandon that they drive the golf ball with. I mean, it's just you just do not see any kids today have any driver swings that look like they are trying to hit a fair way.
Speaker 2: I would say give some of the kids today some credits since it's been a couple hours and eighteen. There were a few guys hitting iron off that tea. Yeah, fairway woods off that tee. But everybody who did that hit kind of the low fairway finder that we always preach about. Yeah, just have.
Speaker 1: That low bullet, keep it out of the wind, keep it out of the crosswind.
Speaker 2: If I was I should have been keeping stats. But everybody who hit driver there just either like sergeant, ride the water or way right into the woods into the cottages and you're making bogie from there. Yes, at best you're struggling. So just these maybe based on the score where those guys were playing, I was basically watching them the leading groups coming in the smart play there with the kids. How far they hit it these days, you just banging out there of the bunker, get it in play. It's going to be two hundred maybe maxim get on the.
Speaker 1: Front edge of these kids. But just even if you just get it up on the front. But I guess it's important that everyone listening hear this. There isn't a place on the scorecard for you to write anything in the box where the score goes other than the score. That's why they make it tiny little box. And if you make a par, or you make a birdie, or you make a bow gear, you make double. There are a million different ways you can make a par. There are a million different ways you can make a bogie, a birdie, a double. So the holes are designed to be played a million different ways. You don't always you know, it's a tough driving hole of the eighteenth hole. There's water all the way down the left hand side, there's wind coming from left to right.
Speaker 2: It's a tough we're already on the defense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's already screaming defense, defense, defense, defense, defense, defense. Now, if you choose on that hole to play offense and rip driver down there you and hit the fairway, you are going to be rewarded with a shorter iron shot. Then if you take the safe play and say, okay, I don't necessarily need to hit driver here, I could hit an iron, but if you hit the fairway, you're going to be rewarded. If you took an iron off a t you're going to be rewarded with hitting an iron shot from the fairway. If you hit driver, try and be aggressive and don't hit that fairway, you're either reteeing from the t box because you've rinsed it in the water, or the eighteenth hole at the Floridian. If you missed the fairway to the right, it's finable. It's finable, but it's you're behind houses, you're in trees, you've got sandy lies. So that's the reward you're going to hit. So or get for trying to be aggressive off the tee and if you don't pull it off. So there's always that risk reward. Everyone thinks risk reward is going for a driveable par four. That is not risk reward. Risk reward is I have a very difficult hole. It's got trouble all over the place. Let me just try and make a par well.
Speaker 2: Let me give you this stat for eighteen. So the hardest hold for the tournament this year usually it's between nine eleven eighteen. The field's going over are just four point seven to two.
Speaker 1: On which hole eighteen four point seven to two.
Speaker 2: There were nine birdies made.
Speaker 1: There for fifty four holes.
Speaker 2: The best players in college go soies.
Speaker 1: Nine thirties on a par four.
Speaker 2: For the tournament. There is no reward in eighteen other than par or even bogie in some cases.
Speaker 1: It's the type of hole to where over the course of the of the course of the three days, you're saying to yourself, Okay, if I play this hole for the three rounds one over, you're picking up, picking up massively shots against the field. Right, So, risk reward is not always.
Speaker 2: A percentage play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's okay. This is a hard hole. I'm trying to find a way to describe it because in my head, I'm going, okay, risk reward is okay. There are just some holes you know, at your course, at your home course, where you play all the time.
Speaker 2: Listen, there's no reward on this whole.
Speaker 1: There's no reward on this hole, and it comes at a time to where this is kind of a difficult stretch in the golf course as well. So for everyone listening, look at that stretch, or look at the stretches at your home course. It's you find difficult, right, because there are just going to be holes and stretches to too. I think most people have that kind of two to four hole stretch where you're just like, man, I never play these holes good. There are a lot of tough driving holes in this stretch. There may be long it's tough part four wherever it is, but you are going to have that tough stretch, which we have here at the Floridian. But we started off talking about the easy stretch here, so you're trying to take advantage of the easy stretch, but you're also looking at the hard holes and saying, Okay, if I can just play these hard holes in flat, you know, just play them in even par for the week, play them even par today, play the par threes. You know. Jonathan Dismok, who's the head coach at the University of Houston their golf team, one of the hosts here, Diz asked me to talk to the entire team the other day. I think there were seven or eight of the guys here from the University of Houston, and I said that to him. I'm like, you would expect someone like me, who works with the players I work with, to give you all sorts of swing advice about your golf swing, that about your technique, and I just was pounding guys and just don't even aim at the flag on the par three. Just play them even for the week. Yeah. Just round defense is something that we do with our juniors. Are our players that we have in this called team flow, and we put you up in front of your your peers. We put you, we put your scorecard up on the board, and then normally we've got a computer and or another TV and if you've made a big number on a hole, we put your screen cast on. All right, here's your number. This is a screen cast of what the whole looks like from you can go online and look at that and say, all right, so Gordon, sergeant, talk us through the eight. Talk us through why you made the decision to choose driver. I mean that's the first question i'd ask'd say, Okay, Gordon, obviously, with your length, you know, and the way you drive the golf ball, it's a massive, massive strength of yours. But did it ever enter into your mind you just made eight on a part four. Did it ever enter your mind to not hit driver? Or was the hand on the head cover immediately well, here's.
Speaker 2: An example of the thoughts we always hear. I checked out after that whole Yeah.
Speaker 1: I can I knew it. Here's my favorite, Stanning. We've heard this from players. Stand on a part four May and eight. I mean I knew Driver wasn't the play. I mean, that's my favorite. When you, as the player say I knew Driver wasn't the play, or I knew it was the wrong play. When if in your head, when you're driving home and you're analyzing your rounds and you're looking at yourself in the mirror and you're going through the shots that you played, but you're going through the hiccups that you had, if in your head you were saying to yourself, I knew it was the wrong play. I knew what was the wrong shot, I knew it was the wrong club.
Speaker 2: Then why you can't need to do it?
Speaker 1: You can change that, yes, just through your thought process.
Speaker 2: And I know we're picking on Gordon, sergeant, but no.
Speaker 1: We're picking on Gordon start. We're not picking on.
Speaker 2: A perfect example. This is this is the perfect example.
Speaker 1: This is not attacking him personally as a player. This is us looking at his choice on a par four as professionally and saying, Okay, he's one of the best players in the world right now, and so I want to know why one of the best players in the world, who's one of the longest drivers in the world is making an eight on a par four. I just want to hear what.
Speaker 2: The thought process is exactly. I see that from a.
Speaker 1: Professional standpoint, talk me through what you're thinking here.
Speaker 2: Now that I got his card up, he started on two today, he was plus one after after nine he actually bogeats number five a par five.
Speaker 1: So Boge's par five, yeap.
Speaker 2: But so he basically started on two, so his finishing calls were eighteen and one.
Speaker 1: One's a tough hole.
Speaker 2: It's a tough hole. He goes quad double, he goes six over his last two.
Speaker 1: So his last two holes he six over in his last two holes. And again from a professional standpoint, everyone, this kid will be playing on the PGA Tour in the next two years. He will, in my opinion, have legit opportunities in the first six months of his professional career to win on the PGA Tour. The kid is an absolute stud. But my point behind picking.
Speaker 2: On literally just throwing shots.
Speaker 1: Throwing shots away, and this is not a college player that everyone listening will never have an opportunity to see play.
Speaker 2: This is an NBA champions.
Speaker 1: You will see him playing in majors. You will see him playing in the NC Double A Championships. I mean, the kid is a stud. But good pl players with all the talent in the world, with all the clubhead speed and ball speed in the world, to go quad double, they still do it. That is still decision making. That Yeah, and again, I've talked about this a zillion times. Gordon Sergeant's golf swing, He's trying to make it better. I think Gordon's working with Mark Blackburn, who's easily right now, the hottest golf instructor on the planet Earth, working with the best players on the planet Earth. Right, So he's trying to do the right things and make the improvements with one of the best coaches instructors in the world. Right. He couldn't have any more things going for him than he does. And he's a Ferrari on top of that. Right, If this is Formula one, he is driving a Ferrari. He is driving a red bull. I say he is not one of the back of the packs. His car is so fast. He's one of the fastest cars in the world. But there is still an element of the decision making proct and it's not picking on him. He could be any.
Speaker 2: Golfers representing a lot of the golf.
Speaker 1: He's representing a large group of golfers. But the reason why I wanted us to talk about him today is he is a college amateur golfer that you will see play on TV. They will be talking about how far he drives the golf ball. They will be talking about his clubhead speed and ball speed. That being more than Rory, more than DJ more than John Rahm. Right, but he's still learning. He's still learning how to play. He has all the talent in the world. He has all the firepower, but he's still like everybody makes big numbers and if you can clean that shit up, it makes a huge difference.
Speaker 2: I mean, talk about Luke Clanton. He Bog's eighteen. I saw his T shirt there, Bogie, you didn't need to make horror birdie to win. He won by five.
Speaker 1: And listen on a difficult hole when you are going to that hole with probably a three to five shot lead. That's a great example to where in his head he's saying, okay, par now is I make is five? Five is making par on this hole under these conditions, On a difficult hole like this, the field is thinking, okay, bogie is.
Speaker 2: Par yep, exactly right, exactly even for these guys.
Speaker 1: For all of you on your home course, look at the course strategy, look at the hard stretches, look at the easy stretches, Look at where that those kind of easy bird these easy pars are going to be. And then through those tough holes, maybe you go to the mindset of saying, okay, this is always one of, if not the hardest hole on this golf course. Maybe my POW is not what it says on the scorecard. Maybe my par on a tough par four is okay. If I can make bogie, here's a that's a win for me on a difficult par four. Listen, I get out of here with five.
Speaker 2: I'm laughing, you're laughing, You're and we talk about it in around the fence. A lot of football analogies. You know, the Patriots are great with Tom Brady back in the day. They took what the defense gave him in the four minute drill of the two minute drill, and a lot of golfers don't take take what the course is giving has given you. You were trying to hit the home run, you're trying to throw the eighty yard out.
Speaker 1: You're trying to do something spectacular where kind of boring, boring, boring golf gets it done a lot of times and just a lot of pars. Make the odd more, make one more bogie around Brooks. And again I've said this a million times. Brooks has always said that he is willing to sacrifice a birdie by giving up making a bogie. So the choice between birdie versus bogie, He's like, listen, I'll give up a birdie if I cannot make a bogie.
Speaker 2: Yep, he'll name that way. You'll name that way, especially at the majors. Then this is so penal.
Speaker 1: So every time, I'd say, for the majority of the people, for ninety nine percent of the people listening to this podcast, their weekly round of golf is their major relative to their skill level, the golf course is tough for them. Their home golf. I can't imagine the majority of the people listen to this podcast are gonna tell me their their home the course is easy, right, Oh yeah, my home course is a really easy golf course. I would say for the majority of people playing golf, whatever course they're playing is basically like a major. The rough is tough for them. Driving it is tough for them. The green complexes are tough for them. The misses short game are tough for them. There are a lot of penalty shots relative to their talent level. So my point being getting the ball in play, thinking about it logically, and not always take your version of what the course is giving you. Don't let the architect dictate to you what you have to do on the golf course. Correct You dictate to the golf course what you're going to do based off your skill.
Speaker 2: Level, except what you have for the day. If I'm not in my driver, I'm going to go to my through wood, all right, bring or accept and bring that to the course and see what happens. Some of your best rounds are almost forgettable because you had no drama, right, Some of the rounds with your friends that seem like they did nothing out there and they came home at three under because there is no drama. Its boring.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the opposite happens on tour. You will you will talk to tour players that will play with young players and they were like, Oh, I didn't even add up when he shot today because he was all over the place, right, And I looked and I couldn't believe that he shot under par. Or someone will shoot sixty six and the guy keeping his card will go. Man, I thought the guy was going to shoot sixty today, right. But the golf course is there for you to play it the way you see fit, in the way it works around your game.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, don't let the course dictate your reactions, your emotions except what you have. Make the outlet pass, lay it up.
Speaker 1: The easy play you've been easy? Yeah, crazy. I mean it's always like I said at the beginning, it's always a fun time of the year. And I think the great thing for us over the last decade is we have seen a lot of these young players or he come in in their infancy. I mean Victor Hovlin. I mean we've talked to him about that. I mean the fact that he is a member at this club now and we watched him plays as a college.
Speaker 2: We probably played three times, yes.
Speaker 1: So we probably saw him sophomore, junior, senior year. And to see where his game is gone. And we have seen a lot of players that are playing here in this over the last ten years go on and play all over the world.
Speaker 2: Clann has punched his ticket to the Ballast Bar next year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you'll be able to watch him, you know, play a PGA Tour event. But I know you love this week and it really is kind of a microcosm of what kind of golf, but competitive golf is. All of these players have tremendous firepower. R see, they all have tremendous skill. That's why they're playing Division one college golf for some very very big, big programs, for some big teams with some big coaches. A lot of the players playing here this week are playing for coaches that have coach players that have won national championships, that have won NCUBLEA, individuals that have won US ams, that have won British Ams. But they still make mistakes and they still are learning their craft.
Speaker 2: Yep. So mistakes that they make maybe maybe magnify today just because we have these expectations that they're so good, but they're simply making the same mistakes that everybody else makes. Yeah, So they are actually human and it was good for our juniors to kind of see that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And one of the things that I think it is important. I was listening to the High Performance podcast. Gordon Ramsey was on it, the famous Scottish chef, and he said something, and I've talked about this, but this deep dive that we kind of took in about you know, Gordon sergent, it's not a personal attack on them. It's a professional question, right, It's a professional question to look at a player like that. So when your coaches or when someone says something to them, you know, you don't always have to take it personally. You can take it professionally. You can take it situational to where someone's saying, hey, listen, I just want to know the thought process behind the eight that you made on a par four that you could easily make bogie on. And I think it is interesting for us as coaches watching all of these, you know, enormously talented young players come through here every year. It's so much fun for us to watch the way they play our home course and to see the scores that they shoot around the course that we play all the time.
Speaker 2: Yep, I wish you played it all the time. We haven't played it more than once in the past three years.
Speaker 1: Out the Glamorous life of the Golf Business RC, thanks for doing that. I thought it was I thought it was an important one to talk to. You know, it's easy to look at all the things that players are doing well, but I do think sometimes you can take a look at some of the things that players do poorly and say, okay, yeah, that's where I can reflect my game. You're not going to go out if you're a fifteen to twenty five handicap, You're not going to shoot sixty six. So watching the PGA Tour is very, very skewed because it's not really going to help you learn anything. I think if everybody that was a fifteen to twenty five handicapper could have come and watched this college tournament today, you would see players that are infinitely more talented than you making kind of some of the same mistakes you're making mentally or course management wise as you're making. If you're a fifteen to twenty five handicap.
Speaker 2: Yep, you know, we say, you know player with gratitude. You get eighteen holes of gratitude out there right, talk about protecting your ball, talk about playing responsibly just to minimize all the drama of the mistakes, and.
Speaker 1: A great game that we play last one. That'll throw out everybody. A great game that we play with everyone here. We get all our juniors and our members that are on team flow, we get them together in one of the days is who can play the most amount of holes with one ball. If you hit one out of bounds, or you hit one in the water, or you lose one walking home, you're done. You get to watch. So next time you go out and play, go play nine holes late and just say, Okay, I'm going to defend my ball today, whatever I have to do. I am going to try and play nine holes with the ball that I started with on the first tack. So if you hit it into trouble, you've got to protect your ball. Protecting your ball is the most important thing. So if there's water, there's out of bounds, if there's places you could lose your ball, you have to make the decision to protect your ball so that you don't lose it. Don't lose your ball. Protect your ball.
Speaker 2: That's it, man, that's it. Play responsibly, Play responsibly.
Speaker 1: All right, Arci, thanks for talking to us Sonova, Butch comes to you every Wednesday. We will see you all next week. Rate review, subscribe wherever you get your podcast. Thanks everyone for listening.