Speaker 1: I think one of the most like the coolest parts about being middle aged can't.
Speaker 2: I can't hear you is this like.
Speaker 3: Turn it's gonna worl sorry my back hurts, you're in a new debt.
Speaker 1: I love these moments where you like just kind of general competency, like you can try new things and like be good at them or like and the best moments are when there's something that you never thought you would have interest in or be good at. I have really enjoyed cutting my son's hair. I have taught myself Like it was just one of those out of necessity things like I don't want to have to go pay for a haircut, and Alex didn't like to do it anymore, and he just never wanted to get a haircut. So I was like, Okay, we're gonna watch a show and you just sit there and I'm going to figure out how to cut it, and now.
Speaker 4: Like I enjoy it. I'm like I can do this.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: So you guys have anything that you figured like like if you told yourself that, like you're kind of good at and you kind of enjoy that, you would tell your you know, eighteen year old self that like if you could go back and.
Speaker 4: Say you're one day going to really enjoy cutting hair. You had been like, what are you talking?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are you?
Speaker 5: What is that?
Speaker 4: You must have something like that, right?
Speaker 2: I do gardening. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 6: I really I love getting out there, getting my hands in the dirt.
Speaker 2: Like I'll look at a patch of land in front of my house and be like, no, I want to move flowers over here. I want to do it.
Speaker 6: And then I put on some headphones and I am in seventh Heaven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, gardening it is mine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, gosh, you know I did during the pandemic, I cut both Jensen and and Adler's hair. I cut, so I did, and it was kind of fun, but the pressure felt like a lot, especially on Jensen. I was like, you're a grown man, Like if I really screw this up, this feels this feels big. But I did. I did like it, And honestly, writer, you should go to Laurie's and pay her for like a haircutting tutorial, like yeah, yeah, to teach you, you know, Like.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think part of the thing for me is that, like you know, Indy has very similar hair to me, like, yeah, my hair. So it's also kind of satisfying because like I used to get really bad haircuts before professionals like Laurie and said, like when I was a kid, it was just a disaster and like and it's you know, it's just thick, it's weird, it's there's a lot of it. So like I feel like I got you, I got you kids, Like being a good dad is like hair, and I could take care of this.
Speaker 4: So but it's just so satisfying.
Speaker 1: So so I don't know if I would be get the same thing from doing anybody else's hair for instance. You know, I think it's a very specific skill that maybe I've mastered, but yeah, sure I could expand it because it is like it's a it just like you're saying, will it's like this fun challenge of like, right, I think I know how I want this to look and should look, and I'm going to figure this out how to do that and getting through that and like, you know, being very scared the first time I did it, because of course you're like if I messed this up.
Speaker 6: Yeah it'll go, but still you have a couple of months of not looking great. Yeah that's a big one.
Speaker 4: But I just love I don't know to me.
Speaker 1: It's it's a function of age where you're like, you know what, I'm going to try this thing that I might not be very good at, but I'm going to try it, and then you realize like, actually I can kind of do it, and I enjoy it.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think one of the things for me that is that was true for me back then that I couldn't have necessarily ever seen how it was going to play out in my life is that I was a very athletic teenager, even though I didn't get to play sports or do any of that stuff as a kid because I was on Boy Meets World. But I was like, I've always been kind of naturally athletic and good at sports and kind I had good balance, and I can pick up things pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: You're coordinated.
Speaker 3: I'm coordinated, and I'm strong. And now having two boys that are in my case, very stereotypical athlete boys. They love to be physical. The fact that like al Adler and I can look at each other and go all right, squat contest, and like, you know that I can participate in his karate, in his baseball, in his like let's go outside and throw a ball. And I bought a pitching machine this weekend. He's you know, and like, because I've always been comfortable with it. It's not a thing I have to be like, Well, your father's gonna have to do that. Jensen can do it too, because Jensen's also athletic. But I get to participate in it. So if anything, I'm just like, man, I'm glad I'm a boy mom. It worked out in my favor that never I never would have thought like, oh, that's gonna end up having any sort of benefit to me, But I do. I do, actually really enjoy it. So welcome to Pod meets World. I'm Daniel Fishal, I'm right or Strong, and I'm Will Fordell. On our mission to find everyone who even just saw a sip a red drink on the set of Boy Meets World, we have been very lucky to reunite with some of our favorite people, and a lot of those familiar faces have come straight from the writer's room, and let's be honest, they were tasked with arguably the hardest job of all creating storylines, crafting dialogue, and satisfying network notes, all while eating massive amounts of cuckaroo. We now analyze their scripts thirty years later as the premise of our podcast. And one thing we do not mention enough they did it all with an amount of pressure and a hurried timeline that would make it difficult to print the pages fast enough. We've already heard from a ton of great writers who spent time on Boy Meets World, and they've made no secret of the job's difficult nature. But most have also called it the best time of their professional careers. And today we get to speak to another one these fascinating and prolific humans, a writer who, along with her creative partner at the time, Laura Olson, wrote some of the most memorable and strange scripts of the series. Was she forced to send us to the forties to deal with the drama and horror of World War Two?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Was she one of the two names on the front of a script where we all met Lauren the Temptress, snow Bunny ready to ruin the happy teenage home of Corey and Topanga. Also Yes, And now for season six, we're going to ask her all about the day a young art prodigy walked on set and Corey was metaphorically compared to Celery. Her first big gig may have been Boy Meets World. But since our final episode, she hasn't stopped working. Here's just a quick hit list of what she's done. Riba Till Death, Private Practice, nine O two one zero, Mixology, Rain, and The Good Doctor. But today we're making her talk about her three seasons on the ABC. Thank goodness, it's funny family sitcom where she's fifty percent to blame for Corey cheating on to Penga. Welcome to Pod Meets World, Patty Carr. Yes, Hi, Hi, can you hear us?
Speaker 1: Cus?
Speaker 7: Can I can hear and see you?
Speaker 4: Yes, it's so.
Speaker 3: Good to see you. Thank you so much for being here with us. We recently sat down with your former writing partner and your still friend Laura, and she talked about your start in Hollywood, capitalizing, paying two women for the price of one, fighting for gigs. What do you remember about those old days writing on animated shows like Extreme, Ghostbusters and Jumanji.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh. Well, first of all, thank you for having me. I don't remember many.
Speaker 7: Things, so neither do I. Yeah, this is going to be I'm going to make stuff up.
Speaker 2: We all know the difference. Y.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I remember getting the studio and a horse and buggy and different time, you know, as far as our start, and I'm sure Lara Lara is much better at having the old timey stories at her fingerstips that I do remember that we started on Boy Meets World.
Speaker 7: Was our was our first you know, uh.
Speaker 5: Network show job, got some animation and things like that. Generally speaking, at that time, things were very segmented, very separate, and so doing animation didn't mean anything. Yeah, no, I guess they not only didn't care, they didn't want to know that you did it.
Speaker 7: Don't I pretend you didn't do that.
Speaker 5: So but the interesting one of the interesting things was that when we when we started and we worked on on Boy Meets World during the hiatus, we would still you know, do animation work, and we you know, got through other animation people, animation writers. We got connected with, uh. I think it was Kim Possible. That was also that was also a Disney thing, right. So we'd been on Boy Meets World, we'd written you know, three scripts as staff writers for Boy Meets World, we were produced writers, and when we went into pitch you know, for Kim Possible, they said, well, you have to meet with the studio of people. We're like, okay, and and they questioned us as it's like, so, what have you done?
Speaker 7: Really? I said, I just worked for you, you know, and there could we see more examples? It was.
Speaker 5: For three years, right like, and for you guys, for this company, but not for our animation.
Speaker 7: And you know it really it was I think that.
Speaker 5: Was particular to Disney where the mouse, the mouse is everything, you know.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, do you remember about getting the Boy Meets World job?
Speaker 5: What what I remember was that we were such novices to the industry that we were coming in.
Speaker 7: And we knew that, you know that Michael Jacobs had two shows.
Speaker 5: He had Boy Meets World, which was going into season four, and a new show called You Wish, And in our minds were like, well the new show has that's the one you want, so you can get in on the ground floor and just ride that gravy train to the end.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: The Boy Meets World is it's going into season four, and I think that was the it might have been the last year that they were in well in high school, like it had the air.
Speaker 7: Of well wouldn't that you know, right? Right?
Speaker 5: So, you know, so we were really working up our Genie pitches, right.
Speaker 3: You were really excited for getting staffed on you.
Speaker 5: They go to you Wish and then then we got the offer in Boy Meets World, which was you know, obviously we were thrilled to do anything where they.
Speaker 4: Had you guys written a spec script for another show.
Speaker 7: Oh, we had a couple of specs scripts. I think.
Speaker 2: You Wish fans and you're just like, oh God, I can't believe we're doing that.
Speaker 5: Can't believe everything that we did was was magic relating Now, I mean I think we as I recall it was probably it was probably mad about you. That was what they what they looked at that was there were a lot more. It was a lot easier to specush show as a sample back then than it is today. It's in particular today, I know, you know, with writers coming into the business, when they try to spec an existing show, there's so many existing shows that everybody isn't familiar with that it's hard to find one where you're not going like, I don't know if this is a good episode of you know, you know whatever, I've never seen this thing, and you know.
Speaker 3: Are specs as do people care about specs now?
Speaker 5: No, I mean I think it's pretty rare, but mostly for that reason, they really are valuable. You do have to know the show that the people are specking. So I would imagine for some for some types of shows that there's you know, if you have a Simpson Spec or something, everybody knows. You know, there's stuff that's current that everybody's familiar with, but that has become such a different that we're not all watching the same things.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 1: It's also gone through like trends, Like it used to be never write an original pilot. Then it was like only write original pilot, and then there was like a little period where everyone was doing like bizarro mashups.
Speaker 5: I'm going to do an.
Speaker 1: Episode of you know, community meets mash and like just to be show your creativity and show that you can master two different forms. It's like, you know, whatever, whatever gets your gets gets you noticed, you.
Speaker 7: Know, right, yeah, something some you know.
Speaker 5: There there have been times where there have been showrunners who, particularly people who didn't come up through television, who were like, well, I want my show to be different than which is always kind of hilarious to me because it's it's like, well, people like television.
Speaker 4: Right, why do you want to make a TV show you hate so much?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I don't want it.
Speaker 5: I don't want it to be like one of those pesky, successful shows people love.
Speaker 3: Had you ever seen Boy Meets World before you got the job?
Speaker 5: That's a good question because I wasn't exactly in the prime demographic for uh, you know, because you know, being sort of mid twenty, you know, the like home watching TV on Friday evening. It wasn't like my mainstay. So i'd seen it before I was aware of it, definitely, Right.
Speaker 2: Were you a big television fan growing up?
Speaker 6: I mean, was this something that you knew you wanted to do and it just I mean again, I was addicted to TV my whole life, So were you Were you one of.
Speaker 2: Those people as well?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, first of all, TV was all we had back then, so and I think that's what's funny is if you remember way back when when they would occasionally show outtakes and I remember there being some kind of special about MASH and they showed outtakes from MASH and everybody looked like they were having such a good time, and I was like, that's awesome. You know, I would love to do that, you know, I love these shows. And then see the people were actually making them and working together, and at some point in my career I realized that those outtakes were actually blowing the take and that you.
Speaker 7: Were working longer.
Speaker 5: And then I stand to realize, like I've just been watching people having the best time, and everyone's going like, come on, just say the words.
Speaker 3: Just so you come on in season five and are Bluckman and bus Gang running the room at the time that you start or is.
Speaker 5: Michael Yes, Now that was because of the You Wish, because You Wish launched and Michael went over to You Wish and we came into the show and Howard and Mark were running it, and you know, and we sort of.
Speaker 7: Met the writers who were there.
Speaker 5: I think there were, I mean there was there were a couple other writers who were new to the show, a couple you know, a couple levels, and then there were people who'd been there the whole time. And yeah, you know, so we kind of came in and really learned the ropes of our writer's room, which was not something that you know, in animation, that's not how it gets done in the in the room. And so that was, you know, that was an exciting yeah process and see how that worked.
Speaker 3: And so what was your feeling. Were you guys nervous at first to contribute? Did you feel like you fit right in? What are your This is like kind of a whole, whole new thing for you. How are you feeling when you started?
Speaker 5: I think, you know, one of the benefits in my mind that that Laura and I had was so much total ignorance that we didn't know.
Speaker 7: We didn't know what to be.
Speaker 5: Worried about or what to be afraid of. That I remember in particular, we're coming on as staff writers. It's the lowest level of writers, and there was another writing team who were I think like executive story editors, sort of to you know, two levels above us. And often when you come on to a show, they've assigned people their offices and their their space for whatever reason. Howard and Mark were like, you guys, just look around and pickwood office you want. So and this upper level team, who was also new to this show. One of them wasn't there that day, so it was sort of a two against one thing.
Speaker 7: But we didn't know.
Speaker 5: We weren't thinking about hierarchy or anything. We just found a really nice corner office and like, this is great, and this guy said, oh yeah, it is great. They were like, you don't mind if we take this one, right, you know, and he and his partner were she kind of got shunted into like the closet or whatever, and then she came Yeah, she came back to work and I guess looked at him and was like, are you kidding me? And came in and said, you're the staff writers, so you should have that office.
Speaker 7: We should have this office.
Speaker 5: Which as soon as she said it was like, that makes sense, That's how it should have been done.
Speaker 7: It was not, uh, you know, we we weren't.
Speaker 5: Looking at it again with any kind of malice or idea like. It was just just two goofballs going like, oh, it.
Speaker 4: Was pretty well.
Speaker 3: Your first script is then the Acid Trip that is No Guts, No Corey, which sent us toineteen forties wartime thanks to the Cat from Sabrina. Did you feel like this was a form of hazing?
Speaker 5: It turned into a form of hazing it. So that was a that was a theme night as the Cat from Sabrina was going to send all the TGIF shows back in time, and we were all supposed to pitch the time period that we got sent back to. And I think by the time we got it.
Speaker 7: I think.
Speaker 5: I think Sabrina the Teenage, which might have been going back to the sixties already. And then another show and I'm trying to remember. I can't remember the name of the show.
Speaker 3: I knew all the good ones were taken.
Speaker 7: They took.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so it might have been you wish, But wasn't it you wish. Weren't they TGIF two at the time?
Speaker 3: Maybe yeah, I mean.
Speaker 7: But so they went.
Speaker 5: So it was basically it was like, Okay, we went back to somebody went back to the fifties. Somebody went back to.
Speaker 7: The sixties. You know, we were in the nineties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had the last thing. It was like, you guys have to do nineteen twelve, Like wait, well, And I.
Speaker 7: Think initially we were like, oh, we'll do the.
Speaker 5: Forties and we'll do this World War two you know kind of thing, because it had a look and it had, you know, sort of some drama to it, and the idea of like we've got.
Speaker 7: Corey and Pangan you know, yeah lover.
Speaker 5: It seemed like that was you know, that was kind of cute, and so we started there and it seemed like it was fine. And then the process of sort of breaking the story at some point just fell apart.
Speaker 7: There was crazy. I mean, I think here's what.
Speaker 5: We just again, innocently not anticipating Nazis.
Speaker 7: Nazis ruined rething.
Speaker 4: You know, Yeah, where's the comedic Nazi beat?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah. There came a point where there were things pitched that the network.
Speaker 4: Oh, we're not going to do that.
Speaker 7: That was that war. That's what we came to, which was a lot better than I think. At that point.
Speaker 5: They were like, why don't you do the eighties? And but the characters were alive in the eighties. They can't just go back to when.
Speaker 7: They actually you know, that's weird.
Speaker 5: So we wound up having to write a whole sort of pitch and everything for the eighties, like here's the jokes we do.
Speaker 7: We're doing our research.
Speaker 5: Is like, well Corey can't figure out his Rubik's cube, and you know, we just did all this, all these eighties beats so that they could all see like, this doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 7: You can't go back to when you were ten. Weird, it doesn't work on this show. So I did rewatch that and I was like, yeah, you that's a look for you.
Speaker 3: My I missed out. My that's my era.
Speaker 7: I know you really wrapped it, so thank you.
Speaker 3: I do appreciate that.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 7: Look.
Speaker 3: So then when the episode actually airs and it's like your first non animated script on the air, do you remember what you did? Did you throw a party? Did you invite people.
Speaker 7: To watch it? I mean that's what we used to do.
Speaker 5: We would have watch parties because also you know, back then you couldn't you couldn't stream the repeats or something that you had to wait to.
Speaker 7: See when they re ran your episode.
Speaker 5: So yeah, that was a big, a big thing, and we got I think, well, I think my parents took a picture of the TV screen with our with our credits on it, and then I was like, well that I can get editing to give us an actual like run off, an actually a screenshot of it without like the reflection of you and the TV.
Speaker 6: That's also how did you couldn't pause it back in the day?
Speaker 3: Exact?
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I mean my dad still has that on his on his mantle pieces, the picture from you know, our credit on Boy Meets World.
Speaker 3: So and so, how did it happen? How did it work for you guys? If you were given an idea for a script. Did you then, as a as a group as a writer's room, sit there and and work through the whole thing, or did you go home and work on it kind of privately and then pitch a script to the group for them to become the group effort.
Speaker 7: Well, it was kind of a combination of those things.
Speaker 5: I mean one of the things that we we learned early on was, you know, they'd say when we started, you know, the very didn't have episodes you know, assigned yet at all. It's like, well, everybody is going to come in tomorrow with a couple ideas, your ideas for episodes. And so what you realize right away is that depending on where you are on the you know, going around the table of like how about you, what have you got kind of thing? You were going to come after people who were going to pitch stuff that you were like, I had.
Speaker 7: That you do a whole sort of I had that. I had that.
Speaker 5: I don't think I didn't have any ideas because gets what you do is like you sit there and go like you know some and then you try to maybe you know, sort of piggyback onto it. I had that, but a little different, you know, to try to make sure that you.
Speaker 7: Got your your take in there.
Speaker 5: But I but I also remember you know, thinking like okay, well, you know, what what kind of ideas has the show done and and what might they do?
Speaker 7: And you know, it's it's like this is a.
Speaker 5: Straightforward family you know show and stuff like that, and you know, thinking that you kind of like like I could do that, I could do that my sleep. I could pitch ideas for these characters and having the other writers come and pitch things that you're like, oh man, oh.
Speaker 7: Wow, that's wild.
Speaker 5: That's amazing, Like realizing that the the you know, you don't you're not shooting for the middle. You're shooting for something really amazing. And and sometimes it gets through and sometimes it doesn't get through, and sometimes it changes, you know, as it goes. But that it was a lot more there was there's a lot more openness to these you know, let's see what these characters can do and you know, and not not hold back, not be like you know, they would.
Speaker 7: Never do that, you know that's what they'll do.
Speaker 6: Speaking of huge moments, Yeah, is that why did you come in specifically thinking I would like to scar an entire generation of younger people who love Corey and love Corey in Topanga by making Corey cheat on Topango because let's break these people up.
Speaker 2: Is that was that a thought coming in you just?
Speaker 7: Yeah, you think my whole reason coming.
Speaker 6: To was that before the season started, was there an idea of, all right, we're going to get something where they break up for a little while there, you know, Corey's going to cheat on Topango or is this something that kind of organically came for just one episode?
Speaker 2: Whre You're like, I got an idea.
Speaker 5: Uh, you know, I don't actually remember the origins of the idea for for heartbreak Corey.
Speaker 7: And then you know, I think.
Speaker 5: At some point the idea of going on a class trip, you know, the ski trip kind of thing, I think, you know, challenging the relationship sounded like, you know, it could be could be interesting. The thing I remember most about that episode was, you know, we weren't all involved in casting all the time, but the role of Lauren the other woman, yea was we wound up being in the casting sessions, and that episode I think almost didn't happen because, you know, the the idea of casting somebody who was an actual threat to the relationship was much more difficult.
Speaker 7: Than one would assume.
Speaker 5: So you know, we were we were reading all you know, these young women coming in and you know, there you could you could just tell that, like to Panga could eat her for lunch. Like it just wasn't it wasn't any competition. And I think part of that was because nobody believed that Corey was going to be tempted by just a pretty girl. Like he got a pretty girl, what is he going to be? You know, what are we going to believe is a possibility? And so we were just it was just pretty much almost not happening. And then when Linda Cardelini came in, it was like somebody had arrived from another planet and we were instantly.
Speaker 7: Like, Panga, better watch her ask.
Speaker 5: You know, And that was without even seeing her with them. But it was really, you know, a testament, I would say, a testament to what you guys did and what you would bring to it. Such young people, and you make it look easy, you know, to get up there and perform, but it's not. It's not something that even you know, reasonably talented young people can necessarily do. Everybody can't can't inhabit you know, this the world and the characters and in a really compelling way, you know. And and I'd say the other The other thing that made you know my sort of actor appreciation list was we started and I've done this on every show that I've done since, if I've if I've had my way, we did writer table reads where we would all take your parts and read your parts, you know, for the writer's room as part of the rewrite, in part because we wanted to make sure that Michael had read the script.
Speaker 7: When it's like I don't think I think he skimmed. I think he skimmed. Like you know what, we'll perform for it.
Speaker 5: We'll perform the script and we would work hard, you know, like we would go around. People would mark their scripts and they go around to the writer and say, did you did you want me to put a little like something on this, and we'd like, you know, really try to try to bring it. You have good performances, yeah, because you're because you're trying to help each other out, trainers to be like, I don't want your script to go down because we you know, it didn't sell.
Speaker 7: It didn't sell it.
Speaker 5: So when we're really trying to trying to do it, and yeah, and we would come.
Speaker 7: We would always come out of those tables. Read those kids are geniuses. I can barely speak. You know, nobody can.
Speaker 5: Nobody can pick up their your kids and stuff.
Speaker 7: It's like, it's amazing.
Speaker 3: Well, I do want you to know that Heartbreak Cory is on our short list for potential best episode of the series. Thus far we we are, you know, a few episodes into season six. We've watched everything up to this point, and we've got a short list of like perfect episodes, and Heartbreak Corey is one of them. We also ended up loving Corey and Lauren as a couple and the fact that she wasn't this outright villain that she was. She was just cool and fun and they had a good thing going. So, I mean, was that something when you guys were casting, Is that something that you were also really looking for, Like threading that line between someone who very much was into Corey but not wanting to be outright like, I know you've got a girl, but give it to me. You know, what were you looking for in those in those scenes?
Speaker 7: No, I mean I think she surpassed what we were looking for. We were looking for a believable flirtation. Yeah, that could.
Speaker 5: Actually be like, you know, yeah, I believe he even to just lie to Taipanga.
Speaker 7: I don't even know that we thought that it was going to go past one episode.
Speaker 5: You know that it was that she was going to go past one episode or it was just basically like, oh, did he get caught up in something? I think had we not found Linda Cardellini for that role, the role would have become something where Corey didn't realize what he got into. And then and then his mistake was covering up that another girl liked me, And that would have been because because the audience wouldn't have believed that he liked her as anything other than like my ankle was twisted and what else. I thought we were just doing puzzles together or whatever. So so yeah, she she made it believable and yeah, and watching the episode too, you can see like how difficult it is to thread the needle of the things that she's saying to him without it being like you're crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly, yes, exactly.
Speaker 6: It was so good though, And when we had Laura on, she claimed that she really wanted in the episode because she's a huge fan, but that you hated me and that's why you removed Eric from this script entirely, and I was wondering if you could just address that a little bit.
Speaker 7: You know, that's so funny.
Speaker 5: I can't address that because I have no memory.
Speaker 7: And when you said that, it was like, Eric's not in the.
Speaker 2: Exactly, No he's not. And it worked perfectly.
Speaker 6: It was such a good episode, and the two of them together, we you know it's written well, cast well, acted well. When you're watching this couple for years together and this new person comes on as a guest star and you're like.
Speaker 2: I actually think they'd be a great couple other world.
Speaker 6: But yes, yeah, yeah, it seemed like there were a lot of less red flags with those two than there were with with Corey and Topango.
Speaker 3: Frank, do you do you remember anyone else who auditioned?
Speaker 5: Oh my god, we must have seen every twenty something girl in town. It went on and on on. The auditions went on forever.
Speaker 2: What's a big role?
Speaker 6: I mean, you got to carry I mean that's just like you're saying, you gotta be a viable other option for Corey. I mean that's incredibly difficult to do in one episode, right.
Speaker 5: And yeah, and just just in meeting the character, you're supposed to believe that she likes she likes him, but she's not crazy.
Speaker 7: He likes her and he's not great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, doesn't demean or diminish him for being into her.
Speaker 7: And you know, and so was.
Speaker 3: There ever conversation about whether or not Corey and Lauren could be together?
Speaker 5: Well, I think after we after we cast it, and after we shot it, I think there was.
Speaker 7: That's where I think it developed into. I think it wound up being.
Speaker 5: Like a little three dark at least because it also spurred the breakup and then Topanga's kiss with Guy and then.
Speaker 3: Will's favorite character Ricky.
Speaker 5: But you know, I think that I think as I recall that episode when Daniel, when you, as did Tipanga, had your realization that you wanted to be with Corey, I remember the live audience just going berserklled they were so thrilled and they and they were and I think they were also they were surprised, like I think they had kind of resigned themselves but being over and then they were so excited that you know that that Tipanga kind of came to this. This just affirms that I you know that I love you.
Speaker 3: It was a good pump bank, it was a good pump.
Speaker 6: Now, one of the things that we I think we need to start asking every writer has come on that. I'm not sure we've asked yet, So I'm going to ask first, was there ever a conversation in the room at any level about the power of kissing?
Speaker 7: That's the power of kissing.
Speaker 6: We keep talking about how on the show there seems to be this thing where the kiss, if the kiss is done the right way, then any problem is solved or someone or you.
Speaker 4: Will never happen.
Speaker 6: Once.
Speaker 3: And I know for sure.
Speaker 6: Corey, Yeah, was there a conversation about the power of kissing?
Speaker 3: I'm curious.
Speaker 7: I don't think so.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think part of it was that the you know, the kiss on boy Mean's world stood in for a lot of other possible, you know, relationship things, and so it really did get imbued with it's the it's the sort of manifestation of all physical and emotional connection.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 4: That's a really good point.
Speaker 1: Interesting, that's a really good point that I can't believe we haven't quite hit.
Speaker 2: It has to represent all of exactly.
Speaker 1: It's the stand in for yeah, any it's that intimate physical relationship can only be represented in a kid.
Speaker 4: It's a really good point.
Speaker 3: Okay, interesting, all right, but we also just watched your first script of season six, which is better than the average Corey, and we want to know something right away, have to have to get it out there. Who is responsible for the salary.
Speaker 5: Joke standards and practices I believe, or clearances. It was so the joke was supposed to be that we were going to see Corey is sort of in his room, and that it was a very average boys room.
Speaker 7: And we talked about there being like a.
Speaker 5: Car poster or something that and that it wasn't the flashiest car.
Speaker 3: It was a Taurus. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, we could not clear any cars because what we were saying about the car.
Speaker 7: Was that it was not.
Speaker 6: So if you have a poster of a beij Volvo on your on your own wall.
Speaker 5: Even even beige Volvo doesn't want to be no. Yeah, that and that being the process of in order to get things cleared, you had to put them in the context of what why are we seeing this screen? And nobody wanted and then and it was sort of like no product, nothing, nobody wanted their image associated with.
Speaker 3: No one represents Celery, right, there's.
Speaker 7: No big salary.
Speaker 5: But that's the hilarious thing about that was that.
Speaker 7: We we actually did it.
Speaker 5: It was like, just move on and do a different joke, but like, yeah, we just did it.
Speaker 7: Let's just make he's got a giant. I mean, he has a giant.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad to know because it's one of my favorite jokes of the show too. And I love that you guys kind of landed on it in a really organic way.
Speaker 3: That's why it's as so funny that they were probably so frustrated. They were like, we have this great idea for a joke and we can't do it. Just put Celery up there like it's it's famous. There are people who have Celery tattoos. I don't know if you know this, but Will writer and I have traveled the country, we signed salary posters, We've met people with Celery tattoos. Is it is it?
Speaker 7: You were going to say you guys all had one?
Speaker 5: We do?
Speaker 3: I know, honestly, it's not a bad idea for a group tattoo. Just I wonder if you all do it.
Speaker 2: About this, you won't do it?
Speaker 6: I would get I will go right now to go get a group tattoo.
Speaker 2: You guys won't do I would.
Speaker 4: Go get salary right now. If that's like, if you guys were like, send me the image, I'll be home with.
Speaker 2: The thank you, I will do it too.
Speaker 3: I'll consider it. I'll consider it. I'll consider it.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about it.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about it off there, let's talk about it there. I wonder when their vegetables were pitched right, like potato, potato.
Speaker 4: Is not as funny, like how do you go through that? Onion says too much?
Speaker 5: It's gonna be It really might have been at that point there was such a level of frustration there that it was just like there, I don't know that we expected that to even make it to air, which is you know, another fun thing about about making the show and and something that impressed me like early that that age in my career was that there was nothing that we said, you know, whatever brain fart you had at you know, nine o'clock at night on a rewrite showed up on set the next day. No one ever said are you serious? Right, They just did it, you know, and it was so magical to imagine something and have it appear, you know, on stage, and so you know, I'm not sure that when we you know, in frustration, landed on Celery that we thought, ultimately this is going to make it to air.
Speaker 6: Or it's Do you have any chance to remember any joke that you're just gonna ask to say a thing? Do you remember a joke that you really fought for that didn't make it on the show that you got were like, oh god, I really want this to be in there.
Speaker 4: Or a storyline or a storyline.
Speaker 7: Yeah, oh gosh, well, I mean tons, there's tons of things.
Speaker 5: I don't know if I if I remember things that were were pitched. Oh, I do remember.
Speaker 7: I was like, really, I.
Speaker 5: Won't remember the details. I remember really passionately pitching a concept for an episode, and and you could tell that it was like it might I might get like I almost sold it.
Speaker 7: I remember almost getting there and then not getting the bread. I can't.
Speaker 3: I can't remember that.
Speaker 5: It's never it's never as good as you know, But whatever it was, it was something. It was something that I I just know that.
Speaker 7: I went I went all in.
Speaker 5: I went in like you know, yeah, I'm gonna like, I cheer up, I'm gonna go this is the most important thing we'll ever do in television, you know, almost made it.
Speaker 3: But do you remember how the idea came together to incorporate the art prodigy Alexandra Nikita into the show. She was a pretty good actress for a young art How did that come about?
Speaker 5: I think that that I think as I recall, I believe she might have been on like sixty minutes or something. She I think she was getting a little press at a time, and Michael was interested in buying art at the time, so I think he just came across her and just liked the idea that she was about the same age.
Speaker 7: As the characters.
Speaker 5: And you know, I mean, we didn't do a ton of sort of stunt casting or you know, anything like that, So that was that was pretty.
Speaker 7: Unusual for the show to.
Speaker 5: Bring me in, particularly somebody just playing their real life self. Trying to remember if we did that in any other show.
Speaker 2: Now, there was more, there was more stunt casting. Earlier in the show. We had, like the earlier seasons, we had.
Speaker 6: Some like the you know, the Happy Days Gang and all that kind of We did that more back in the day than we did I think later in the episodes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so the.
Speaker 3: Gang is now out of high school, we're all off in college. Do you remember was the room excited about aging us up a bit?
Speaker 5: I mean, I guess there would be some excitement and some trepidation about how that was going to work, because there's such a.
Speaker 7: There's there's such a specific dynamic for.
Speaker 5: The sort of school age up through high school and high school in particular. I think high school. The difference between high school and college to me, as far as like, you know, being on the screen especially, is that in high school, every little thing is extremely important. In college, even big important things are not important.
Speaker 7: You blow off. You know, it's like a.
Speaker 5: Real reversal in your life where you're not hanging on every moment and interaction in the way that we're all familiar with in high school. And so high school really lends itself to particularly, you know, in sort of that half hour setting where you could telegraph really quickly that something important was happening in the characters' lives because like because.
Speaker 7: It's high school.
Speaker 5: And then you know, so then when they went beyond high school, you're like, oh, are we going to lose that sort of universal feeling of what they're going through and why it matters to them and why they're you know, still such a tight group and things like that.
Speaker 6: There was such a change in the Eric character, not just comedically, but I'm also curious because we kind of know that we've heard from some of the other writers where comedically went that way. But one of the things we noticed is that it doesn't seem like Eric ever has a love interest again. And I'm curious if there was ever a talk of giving him a date again, having giving him you know, letting him have a girlfriend of his own, a boyfriend of his own, whatever, just so sort of a love.
Speaker 2: Interest it seemed to just kind of disappear. Can you remember if there was a reason.
Speaker 5: For that or.
Speaker 7: I don't.
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't remember a specific decision to do that. Really, I think, you know, I think it was sort of like in retrospect, Eric was becoming he fell into the category of somebody who maybe was cool in high school and then pequed.
Speaker 7: And that again wasn't a choice. It wasn't like, let's have.
Speaker 5: Eric be the guy who peaked in high school. But I think that is interesting kind of you know, where where things went, And I don't know, I don't know if that's also because again, the qualities that you can ascribe to somebody as being like a fun, cool guy in high school, do not you know, necessarily translate into a college and beyond environment. And I think maybe if we had, if we had done something deliberate, we might have decided that we were going to take Eric and have him and maybe this would be like something you do today. It wouldn't have done it then, but make him fall more into success, you know, make him be the person who you know, gosh, Feeney was always telling him to sort of like get serious and things like that.
Speaker 7: And then wouldn't it be fun if Eric was just.
Speaker 5: The person who after high school is just like he's a billionaire by the twenty and everyone's going like yeah, like then, And it's like because because then it would be in contrast to what the what the show and the adults of the show had told us, which is that Eric needs to get serious and like, apparently.
Speaker 2: Not that's interesting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 3: So you would go on to write two more episodes in season six and too in season step seven, and you were with us right until the very end of the series. What do you remember, if anything about that series finale week?
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, crying everybody's crying all the time, so much crying, A lot of crying. Yeah, I mean it was I think it was pretty emotional. We've spent a lot of years, you know, up until that point. I don't think I ever worked in the same job for three years, you know. I mean I'm like pretty young and early in a career where it's like maybe you worked someplace for a year and then you were looking for the next thing you could do because you weren't where you wanted to be. And so this was the first opportunity to be doing what I wanted to be doing. And it wound up, you know, continuing and and you know, by by that year, I was like, man, I this is the this is the tightest group of co workers I've ever had in my life.
Speaker 7: So that you know, that was that was really something.
Speaker 5: And we we had that sort of relationship with the crew and the cast and the and then the audience that came, you know, our live audience, which is not an experience most writers get, you know, to put their stuff up in front of a live audience. And in those fans who would come, you know, the people that came every week, you know, yeah, repeatedly and stuff like that. It was you know, you knew that this was not something that you could count on ever happening.
Speaker 3: Again, Well, since Boy Meets World ended, you have really gone from job to job every year. You have never been at a loss for work, either as a writer or an executive producer. You've been on Private Practice, Life Unexpected, nine oh two, one zero, The Good Doctor. That's just to name a few. Would you say there's anything you learned on Boy Meets World that you have been able to take with you to all of those jobs?
Speaker 7: Oh? Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 5: I mean I think that's one of the things, is like formative experiences, the things that you do and it's when you don't know how it's done, wind up being things that you really carry with you. The writer's table reads is one of those things, Like I said that I've done that.
Speaker 7: I think it's to me, it was like it.
Speaker 5: Was such a good practice and so good for the new writers coming in because a lot of times on shows, there's a tendency to rewrite the original writer several times before it even gets to the actor's table read, and so what happens as a as a young writer is that you never hear your words out loud. Really, you know, they've always been changed in a way that sometimes it's not recognizable to you by the time it's going to set.
Speaker 7: Or even to the first table read.
Speaker 5: And I think having an opportunity to hear even from some really bad writer performers, but having the opportunity to hear your script aloud is a real growth opportunity for writers. Having to try to perform a script, Yeah, is a growth opportunity for writers of like that wasn't easy to say, Yeah, that was awkward.
Speaker 3: How can I make this less awkward?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Right right?
Speaker 5: Knowing that it's like that, that matters, and so yeah, so I've you know, I've I've tried to continue doing that and you know, gotten a lot of benefit out of that. I would say also Will as as far as your your character and Eric, one of the things I remember so much and that I have have kind of carried into other shows is.
Speaker 7: You were never not in the scene you were in.
Speaker 5: You might have had no role in the scene that you were in, and you were never not in the scene. And I remember specifically one scene that was in It was in the kitchen, and I think it was you know, I know it was the other characters were talking, and you had been there for whatever reason, and they came in and they're having a pretty you know, a pretty intense scene and you just happened to be in the in the shot. But I don't think you were thinking about being in the shot. But you were in the shot, and you were in it, and you were like, you.
Speaker 2: Know, oh you know what.
Speaker 4: I bet it was.
Speaker 2: I bet it was.
Speaker 6: It was when to Panga and Corey decided to get married, and Alan and Amy are having the conversation with Corey and Topanga across the kitchen and I'm standing in that's the Rachel is fine. I got this new room in and she is a fine scene. I bet she's the one you're talking about. I think I know exactly the one you're talking about.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I so I've used that as I've used that as example for you know, for for actors, but a lot of time to use it as an example for for writers about who you know, which you've brought these characters into this room.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 3: You what you are doing?
Speaker 5: And I will that would be like sometimes you get lucky and the actor, yeah, you know, is in the scene as the character no matter what you've given them, but you can't count.
Speaker 3: On I count on that.
Speaker 7: I could count on that.
Speaker 5: With the with you guys and that, you know. But and I remember that as being something where that was the first time as a writer I paid attention and realized that that I've left people here. I put people in this room and they're here, and and it was you know, rather than it being an oops, it should be an opportunity because that's how life is.
Speaker 7: People are in rooms where they're like, I wish I were that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's great, Oh that's funny.
Speaker 3: What would you say the biggest difference between twenty twenty five writer's room and a nineteen ninety eight writer's.
Speaker 5: Room well being in an actual room, Okay, not being on zoom.
Speaker 7: Right, yeah, I mean so yeah, Back then, I mean it was.
Speaker 5: It. I think there was more, you know, it probably is just, you know, kind of boring to say, but there's more more community and people were we were all around each other all the time, much more. I mean, I remember first season of Boyming's World and being on the Radford and being surrounded by other shows, also life taping all the time, and so you know, and and the little basketball hoop that the Seinfeld people shot hoops that you know, right to our building, and you know, just that just walking around the lot, you know, seeing other writers on other shows, seeing other cast on other shows, just being around that all the time, you had more of more of a sense of sort of us all being in the circus together kind of thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I mean we were in between Seinfeld and Third Rock from the Sun, so it was.
Speaker 5: There was bibil and there was like there was so many shows like big you know, big stars and big shows, and it was every every stage was full of that.
Speaker 3: Has it ever come up on any of the other shows that you've worked on that you once worked on Boy Meets World? What are the reactions when people find out you worked on Boy Meets World.
Speaker 5: This is the best thing, uh, And I'm sure you guys experienced this of you know, there were cooler places to be at this at the time. I went on a panel. I was asked to do a panel about medical storylines, you know, having to then move you know, moved on and started doing hour long dramas and medical dramas and things like that. So I, you know, done some medical storylines and I was asked.
Speaker 7: To speak and.
Speaker 5: I was like I had the least interesting or impressive thing to talk about in terms of the show that they'd say, Oh, you're going to come and talk about this, you know, breast cancer, gene testing storyline that you did the show. And then we're going to have somebody who created the Big C which was a huge show at the moment, and somebody who created some other like e er whatever. You have all these big shows, and it's like my little storyline. And so everybody spoke about their you know, their their show. And then they said, Okay, we're going to open it up for questions and I thought, well, I can get my things ready to leave. You know, nobody can ask a question. The very first question was like, I have a I have a question for.
Speaker 7: For Patty Carr. And I was like, oh, oh, you know, what is your question?
Speaker 5: And they said, I have a box set of Boy Meets World evds and I wanted to know if you would autograph that. Could you tell me about Corey into Pega's wedding? And I know that's not this medical thing, but could you just do I like, yes, I could exe tens you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, nobody asked for their autograph.
Speaker 2: Oh that's cool.
Speaker 3: That's amazing. Take that good doctor.
Speaker 7: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 5: And I mean so that's when you know, it's it's as the audience for Boy Meets World as they kind of grew up and started you know, being out in public without without their parents or whatever, as they kind of came into the world and into the industry, it's.
Speaker 7: Always now something that you say and people are like, oh, oh, oh my god, I can't believe you look for the show. It's amazing.
Speaker 3: Well, finally, did you ever think that people would still be wanting to hear us talk about Boy Meets World thirty years later when you were writing it?
Speaker 5: No, well back then, I don't think you could imagine you know, sort of any of the or any of that kind of you know, interest in old stuff.
Speaker 7: You know, you weren't thinking that there.
Speaker 3: Was going to be that kind of like longevity.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, for for shows and things like that, or a forum for people to even have those conversations with with their fans and stuff. So yeah, just definitely didn't didn't think about that, and it it is, you know, it is amazing that, yeah, people people are still interested in hearing about this stuff.
Speaker 7: So hopefully I had something interesting to say about it.
Speaker 5: I know you had, like plenty of other writers telling telling the truth in a few lies.
Speaker 7: I didn't how I didn't like Eric's character and wrote about.
Speaker 6: I know you're lying, Patty, It's fine.
Speaker 3: He totally made that up. She did not say that.
Speaker 7: I did not have the power to make that happen. Even even no, we're.
Speaker 3: Also saying Laura did not say that she just made that up. La did not even come close to alluding to that, so did she.
Speaker 7: If she did.
Speaker 5: If Laura did do that, I would have to like you her comedy props for coming.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, she did not. Patty, thank you so much for taking time out of your very busy schedule to come and spend with us. Really nice to reconnect with you, to hear your perspective on things. Congratulations on an incredible career. You're still going at it. Where can we find you now? What are you working on now?
Speaker 5: I'm just working on staying sane, so because.
Speaker 8: We all are Yeah, yeah, nothing, I'm helping nobody and doing reaching no audience other than the people outside my window when I screamed.
Speaker 3: That's nice because it knows to you for that. Thank you, Patty for being with us always.
Speaker 7: Nice to see you, good to see you.
Speaker 3: Thank you bye. Oh my gosh, that's so will you totally threw Laura and she believed you. She was like and then I was like, do you want to touch on those? And then she was right back to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I still think Laura said that in my head.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you're the worst. You're just the worst.
Speaker 2: I know my truth.
Speaker 3: I the knowing that backstory about Celery. Oh, it's so satisfying.
Speaker 6: It is the best because because it's right or you're right, that just the way that the joke is so organic, because that was what was left. Essentially, it's like, what's the most and it's why more original?
Speaker 4: You know, it's just been a volvo or whatever.
Speaker 1: It's fine, fun, but the fact that it's like, wait, is that a poster of Sealary and.
Speaker 3: You have to like, you know, it's just it's good to have happened on purpose. Yeah, it's like it's too good. It's just it's unbelievable. So thank you all for joining us for this episode of Podmeets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails. Podmeets World Show at gmail dot com and we've got merch.
Speaker 2: We need to get matching salary tattoos.
Speaker 3: Merch Podmeetsworldshow dot com will send us out.
Speaker 2: We love you all, pod dismissed.
Speaker 6: Podmeets World is nheart podcast producer and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfordell and Ryder Strong executive producers, Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara sudbachsch producer, Maddie Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon and you can follow us on Instagram at podmeets World Show or email us at Podmeets Worldshow at gmail dot com