Speaker 1: I am all in.
Speaker 2: Let's you.
Speaker 3: I am all in with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in podcast. Want to let productions. iHeartRadio, I heart Media, iHeart podcast. We are going to review the episodes. Then we're gonna start out with Winter. I'm joined by my partial intrepid crew. But boy, just the two of them together, they're super intrepid. Susan French, Amy Sugarman, Danielle Romo and tarasuit A on assignment. So gang, here we go. Okay, we're at the episodes and I have so many thoughts. I made so many notes. I have pages and pages and page. I can't wait to compare notes.
Speaker 4: iHeart podcasts.
Speaker 3: Listen on the iHeartRadio app number one. How did you feel about it?
Speaker 1: I felt a lot of ways, positive and negative.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay.
Speaker 1: I felt that it was a film, So I analyzed it as a film. A ninety minute film has a different structure than an hour or a forty minute television series. It's a whole different writing structure and act structure. Okay, So what I did was, did.
Speaker 2: I like a film?
Speaker 3: Shot like a film?
Speaker 1: It shot like a film. It looks like a film Stars Hollow never looked better. Stars. It really looked great on film.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: What an opening? Wow, Wow wow, even.
Speaker 3: Keep from the start it looks gorgeous, like leveled up from the most beautiful the TV show ever looked. That was my first note was like, Wow, this looks amazing.
Speaker 1: And then my second question, Well, your second question might be, how are they going to do a TV show as a film? How's that going to work? Because it's a different rhythm, it's a different cadence, it's a slower build, but there are bigger moments that need to happen at very specific time periods in order to keep an audience engaged. No matter what the fan base feels about the show, they still need to be structurally entertained and led down a certain path, like the act break between one and two thirty minutes in. There has to be something that propels and surprises the audience and the energy going into Act two. Now, you got to get through a really long act too into an act three, right, So how do you get through act too? And is there going to be a midpoint scene? Is there gonna I'm probably getting too wonky here.
Speaker 3: Interesting, I didn't think about any of this, not one thing that you're.
Speaker 1: Saying, Well, I I was. I was searching for all of these markers and writing down time stamps as I watched, because I wanted to go back and see if they'd actually executed on these very basic screenwriting film screenwriting structural dictates that must happen in a film in order for it to be successful. There was a lot that they did, and there was some that they missed, but I have to say, overall, just to sit back and watch it, I laughed and I laughed, and I laughed and I laughed, and I thought it was some of the best pop culture stuff we've ever seen. It's some of the best jokes we've ever heard. It's some of the best performances we've ever seen by everybody. I thought everybody looked great on film and performed great on film. I thought that direction was amazing. I thought I thought the writing in certain aspects was the best we've seen.
Speaker 3: Hold on so many things to say, I'm so glad you brought up pop culture. Pop culture was so good again, and you realized that it was off in season seven. There were moments, fun, little mentions, but it wasn't organically streamed in and immediately that was back. So I thought that was brilliant. That's my green flag. I have two red flags, but I will get to them in a second, but I want to keep going everything you're talking about. Do you remember if you shot it in chronological order?
Speaker 1: Oh god, no, we were block shooting this, which meant.
Speaker 3: Because there was some show that was shot in chronological order, and for some reason, I thought it was this one.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you. Let me tell you how ambitious this shooting schedule was three and a half months shooting schedule to do four ninety minute films.
Speaker 4: That's hazing.
Speaker 3: I read that you shot only from February to May.
Speaker 1: Okay, so here we were shooting four different seas in one single day. It was a logistical nightmare. You needed to have. You needed to be so organizing. I mean, imagine what it was like on Brenda, Maven and Wardrobe.
Speaker 3: Winter, Spring, Fall, Summer, all at the same time.
Speaker 1: All in one day. That happened a lot, wow, where you didn't know where you were. So you know, Amy and I don't. Amy did not direct every episode, she couldn't, but I think it was an Amy day in tandem. And then I can't even remember who did the other direct You.
Speaker 3: Got the script, you got all four all at once.
Speaker 2: And shred it like a big, big right, right.
Speaker 1: And since I don't know the other three, I haven't seen them. I've seen Winter before at the premiere the time you've seen Winter, Yes, it was a second time, but I saw that in twenty sixteen, and I was blown away by it. I thought it was great because I saw it up on the big screen westward. Huh.
Speaker 3: I had not watched these since twenty sixteen either, And as Suzanne promised, they're way better.
Speaker 1: You know, this film could have competed in a romantic comedy category at whatever awards ceremony, because it was really fine stuff. I mean, how often do you see this kind of quality in any type of rom com Now. I think the reason was, you know, hey, this is part one of a part four part story, so it's a it's it's a it's not a trilogy.
Speaker 3: We know these people, we know these people. So there was a lot of like, oh hello.
Speaker 1: That first sweeping, you know, getting into the and there's this beautiful you know showing stars hollowing and reintroducing all the characters, and there's Rory and Laurli you know, bantering away and pop culturing away, and and then we see you know, we see even Rose, we see Kirk, we see mss Patty, we see you know a lot of people. And then we've seen Grantly Buffalo, Grantly Phillips playing that beautiful song and he gets to play a lot of the song and then he hits a chord and it transitions into a nighttime scene with you and and and Laura I and Rory going into their house with an orchestrated version of the song. So I thought, that's a movie thing, a couple of things. So it's really really cool.
Speaker 3: Where the show begins, you hear the roats and there there's a story.
Speaker 2: Great, there's a story of that that when you get you get all the feels.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally. So there's a who knows if it's true or not, a story that when you all were at at X, that somebody asked the question, what's your favorite line and like me or what line do people quote to you the most? And you all could like couldn't quite answer, so they started shouting out lines from the audience. Do you remember this at all? Not really? So there's a rumor or an urban legend that that's why she started with those iconic lines. But anyway, before we get into it, I do need to give my first very large red flag. Okay, really, it's just very almost why I think I did not like it the first time I watched this, and I and I don't want to be mean. I do not want to be mean because it's not just you, it's and I don't want to insult the person whose job this was. The hair is terrible on me and Lauren there are That is why I know it's horrible, horrible, But Lauren's hair in parts, not every scene is Czar.
Speaker 4: So Susanna, I actually loved Lauren's hair.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I it.
Speaker 3: Took me out of the whole thing. So when she's in the bedroom scenes and her hair is up, it's totally normal, and I'm like, there's Lorli right, the hair that is like bouffante m.
Speaker 4: I thought it was killing when she had it like kind of pulled back at the crown in a like sort of a ponyes. I don't know. I wouldn't expect her to be wearing her hair the same way eight years later.
Speaker 3: So I should have because the hair.
Speaker 1: So bad?
Speaker 3: Okay, so anyway, and your hair like, just let you be you. Those were the two things that I'm like, this is.
Speaker 1: No Amy was very insistent that because I don't think anybody wants to look at a ball spot.
Speaker 3: You know, did they get you a good one?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 1: I thought it was pretty good. You should have seeing what they stuck me for the Entertainment Weekly cover shoot. I mean that looked like a dead raccoon on my head.
Speaker 2: You've seen it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I optediz and I don't think it was just you.
Speaker 3: I am telling you. We'll look at some photos. Lauren's hair not good now, one more green flag before we start the fashion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty much, so pretty much superior.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and out of ten those are Stella McCartney. She's wearing a Stella McCartney dress, Like the Leap of Leopards is a Stella McCartney.
Speaker 1: Because because they had the budget and plus it's now it's Netflix. Now it's on another level. Do you know what it was like walking onto the sound stage at Warner Brothers on the on day one of those Netflix episodes, Day one day one, I walk on to the sound stage that we normally shoot shot on prior seven years two thousand and two thousand and seven, and it was like the entire technology of camera equipment and the movie business had changed radically. I'd never seen so much equipment. I thought the budget on this must be you know, it felt like a real film or big budget film we're walking into here because of the assistance and the kind of equipment that you see set up and the cameras and the cranes, and I'm like, wow, what are they doing here? This is amazing. You know, she got all tingly. We got all tingly right away, so they had budget, you know, so it doesn't surprise me the Brenda Mayven you know yet a we can really dress these characters up now, you know, unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, Susanne, what was your overall thought before we start?
Speaker 4: I I loved it. I could see how somebody, especially that opening. I could see how somebody who watched it in the first round and has been waiting eight years for this, like it just like slams you right in the face and you're it was awesome. And then it goes to the winter scene of the town. I loved the opening. The dialogue was freaking hilarious, Like if you turn the captions on, because it just flies by so fast you almost have to have the captioning on to get all the jokes that the dialogue was hilarious and to your point about the pop culture amy as I was watching it. I watched it a couple times over the past week, and I was thinking, I can't wait till we do pop culture on the podcast because I don't even I didn't even get I didn't even understand half of it, So like, I can't wait to learn something about the pop culture because I don't even know what these references are. I really loved it. My one red flag is it really bothered me how they almost seemed to dumb Luke down with the whole thing about having sex with the surrogates, like funny the first time, the third and fourth time, it just was like, he's not stupid, Like I just that that bothered me that they kind of made Luke into a dunce on that whole topic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was idiotic.
Speaker 1: Well they they they I have some issues with the Yeah that the Luke destruction, the character destruction was whole hog as they say.
Speaker 4: So that was that was my red flag. Although I have to say One of my favorite Luke lines is from this episode because it just like tugs at my heart and it was, well, I'll get I can't remember what seen it was in right now. It was when they were in the diner. We'll get to it.
Speaker 3: We'll get to it, I think, I remember. I think I know your time about So let's go to the synopsis. I guess the only other red flag I have is there a couple scenes and I'll call him out where I felt like, man, these people can't even do it this fast anymore? Are And there was the one scene in the kitchen. There's one scene in the kitchen with Luke, Lorel and Rory that I thought, this is a little weird. They just are not there yet.
Speaker 1: You mean the first scene in the kitchen.
Speaker 3: Where you're making dinner.
Speaker 1: Here's here's what you know. What popped in my head. I thought those kitchen scenes because it was one with lor Lyon and Rory coming in and meet greeting Rory and then going into a rant about her eating and all that stuff, and then Paul sly I thought that was Broadway level acting and and blocking. And then I thought this could work as a musical, and I don't know why Amy doesn't write a musical version of Gilmore Girls, because I think it could really work, actually, because that's how it stays acted, you know what I'm saying. I thought, I actually thought those scenes were beautifully executed and beautifully act. All parties well, well, I think I think they probably was odd to see Luke in that kitchen making dinner, greeting Rory and then launching into a rant right away over something. So I mean, you know, it's it's one of the Gilmore Girls tropes, isn't it. It's it's don't don't eat you're eating junk and don't do that, and it just it just made scene, but it made him seem like sort of a you know, a bad imitation of the old character. Right, yeah, it's almost like it's Netflix. Luke had no resemblance to.
Speaker 3: The Hearts where you're correct hearts where I'm like ah, and parts are I'm like h. So in general I thought they were this this Winter. I've only watched Winter again, but this was so much better eight years later. It's really really good. But it left me feeling is melancholy the right word. I was definitely sad when it ended because I'm like, it made me want another bring it back again.
Speaker 1: So here's here's here's the issue with this. This what I thought the Palladinos did particularly well is deal with the passing of ed Herman and how they incorporated that in the show and honoring the character and that because I kept asking myself in the first act, I said, Okay, what is this film going to be about? And I know build in fan base, but we don't know where the story is going, right, you know, we have no idea. So there's got to be a story to tell. What are they what story are they going to tell? Besides regurgitating old stuff and and reintroducing the characters and familiar situations. Well, we've got to honor the passing of the gigantic presence that is Richard Gilmour, who's.
Speaker 3: No longer there, died a couple years earlier.
Speaker 1: M hmm.
Speaker 3: I think like he had died, just passed away. I think in let's say twenty.
Speaker 2: Fourteen, right right.
Speaker 1: So there, now we're getting into one of the most uplifting, positive, family orientated shows in the history of television. And now we have to deal with death, and we have to deal with death in a real way, and that's something we're asking the producers are asking the audience to hook into, which I'm sure they did and they wanted to. And I thought it was a beautiful honor, I agree, a beautiful memorial for ed Herman. And I thought all of that funeral stuff, the flashback sequence was filmed beautifully and they didn't take too much time with it. They took just enough time, and they really honored the man and the legend that ed Herman was and remained in monsilian.
Speaker 3: Nad because he had passed away.
Speaker 1: Right, But that still doesn't answer the question, what is this movie going to be about? Okay, now it's going to be about. It's a it's a mother daughter thing, it's a Lorelei and it's an Emily thing. That's what this is going to be about. But it developed very slowly, So it doesn't matter with this show. Okay, if you're just watching it as an you've never seen Gilmore gros before, Hey, I'm gonna watch this movie. You're sitting there going what the hell is going on?
Speaker 3: You would have enjoyed it if you'd never see I still.
Speaker 1: Think you would have enjoyed it as hell. I know, I think you would have. I think the humor alone gets you through the lack of structure or the lack of execution on structure points that you need to hit your first act or second people. But I but they're every But they're charming enough and engaging enough and crafted as actors beautifully right, and all these this great writing and all these funny jokes that you're going to stay in it, And that's what kept me in.
Speaker 3: I think it would be tough because some of the reveals, which we'll get to, you'd be like, is this person my only other red flag is Paul?
Speaker 4: Like really, yeah, that's just surd that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he was.
Speaker 4: It's just sur He was supposed to be there for comic effect, I think. But at the same time, like you really felt bad for him.
Speaker 3: And just it was ridiculous. I'm like, this is not this is ridiculous, just like the surrogate stuff was ridiculous. But I think Luke knows exactly what a surrogate is and how that works. Ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the one time I had serious concerns and I addressed those concerns directly with Amy about this surrogate stuff and particularly this meeting with Paris and the whole thing. I just thought, this is so off and I really need to speak up. You were correct, because that wasn't really a show that you spoke up right, you know you didn't, you know what I'm saying. I mean, we were just there to do the great writing, not to question it. Anyway.
Speaker 3: I enjoyed We'll go to the Anomos, the pall stuff.
Speaker 1: For me, I liked because that's what it reminded me. It made it feel like Broadway. So this is a Broadway musical or this is a Broadway comedy. Because it was so broad and a little bit preposterous, it just so for me, it kind of worked, and I enjoyed his performance, and I thought it was really funny when she came back into the Dinasta.
Speaker 2: I think the difference is.
Speaker 3: I don't want Broadway. Like I get what you're saying, and I could see how she could totally do that, but like, I don't want Broadway.
Speaker 4: And I won't know how.
Speaker 1: Long a Gilmore Girl's Musical would run on Broadway. It might, it might break Cat's record, or if there's a new record, it is. Cat's the record holder for consecutive show run She's doing Once Upon.
Speaker 3: A Mantress right now. So she obviously likes Broadway.
Speaker 1: Well, there's no question. I mean she's doing it with Sutton Foster, right.
Speaker 3: I just don't want Broadway. I want Gilmore Girls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Broadways a good way to go with it, and you like it. I think it would be hysterically funny and a great time.
Speaker 3: Well, I know we need we'll get into the scene by scene. But for me, this left me just wanting more, not just wanting the three more movies, but wanting more and more and more.
Speaker 1: I want.
Speaker 3: This made me want the show to come back so bad.
Speaker 1: The Phantom of the Opera is the Broadway consecutive run champion.
Speaker 4: Okay, this is a Year in the Life episode one, which was Winter and this aired on November twenty fifth to twenty sixteen. I think they released all four episodes on that date, didn't they Just wondering that I think they did.
Speaker 1: They binged it, Yeah, they want to be able to binge it.
Speaker 4: Rory pays a visit to Stars Hollow, London, and New York City as she is trying to make her next career.
Speaker 3: She really travels between those cities like they're five minutes apart, but anyway, right exactly, And.
Speaker 4: The episode is several months long, so it makes it look like she's just flitting from place to place, but I think it's like weeks in between.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Yeah, we need it, We need some better time ellipses there, because it was, yeah, all of a sudden, she was in stars Hollow and the scene before she was in London, very confused.
Speaker 4: Emily copes with Richard's death and ends up roping Laurelai into her healing journey. Luke and Laureli are settled in as a couple. It's been several years now, but is there something they are missing?
Speaker 1: I'm saying, well, let's go through it, and as we hit these beats, well we'll get into it. So so take us through Lady French.
Speaker 4: So we kind of already talked about the opening credits.
Speaker 3: I really loved that with and there's the line where they oh, sorry, the is this before the line where she says, I haven't done that in a while.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is where it's just the sayings and it's okay. All the whole seven seasons are like rushing back into your head as they're like throwing out these these phrases, and then it goes into the crane shot of the whole town. It's just typical stars, hollow, charmingness, and Laurla even made a comment about how it's built inside a giant snow globe, like that visually was a good reference. And then this is where she makes that comment Amy about haven't done that for a while.
Speaker 3: That was like, I just felt like maybe I wasn't ready for it. It felt like a hinge off, but I still was really happy to be there. I just felt like they don't quite have their bearings yet right.
Speaker 1: It felt it felt a little forced at the top because it just it just hit right away and it's like a rush of pop culture things. But it was kind of thrilling and great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thrilling is a great word.
Speaker 4: And then the Rory running around town trying to get a cell phone signal, like they had decent cell phone service seven years ago. Why is it all of a sudden she can't get it?
Speaker 1: And I was sort of anxious that she was going to get hit by a car. I didn't like that.
Speaker 3: Climbing into docees and tossing the cabbage. I was like, he was sort of cute and sort it up.
Speaker 4: It was a little frantic for me.
Speaker 3: Hashtag trying too hard is what I like.
Speaker 1: The camera movement inside of dosies. At the top of the cans, you see the camera moving. It's just a whole different a great feel and look of that.
Speaker 3: I like kind of having her move around town. But there was just a few moments of hashtag trying too hard.
Speaker 1: I liked it. It was a movie. I liked it. It was a movie because this was a movie. This wasn't a television episode. It was a film.
Speaker 3: I've always called the movies. I think it's four movies.
Speaker 4: So in the market, then we get to see Lane. It was good to see her again. We find out that Zach has gotten a promotion and no one is happy about that.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 4: Sorry. And then back in the town square we see Kirk all right, it's just great to see all the town uber Ye.
Speaker 3: Super funny and totally plays as well today like it's still funny today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And he's got a pig now because Babet overheard him and Lulu talking about having kids, so the town bought them a pig instead.
Speaker 3: We're about eight years later now, right, So eight years between season seven in the movies. Eight years between the movies and now.
Speaker 1: So and now I realize this. The town has gotten together and conspired in order to that Kirk and Lulu do not have children. Do you find that a little on? Like they got them a pig so that they wouldn't have kids? Why don't they want those two to have kids?
Speaker 3: Back a town would want them to have kids? That didn't really track. I mean, it's fine, No, I thought it was.
Speaker 4: I thought it was in character for the town because you can't have more than one Kirk running around like that would be alarming storyline that they would have had a kid.
Speaker 1: I just thought it went against the DNA of the show.
Speaker 3: I agree with you. I agree. I don't think town wanted them to have a kid. Yeah, they don't care. I didn't.
Speaker 4: I didn't mind the pig.
Speaker 1: I thought it was.
Speaker 4: Okay, it was great.
Speaker 1: But it's just the attitude that they don't want their consciously blocking those two from.
Speaker 3: Heavy and why would La not get to have a kid.
Speaker 1: That's not denying somebody children. It's just weird.
Speaker 3: That was like weird, but yet whatever, it's kind of funny.
Speaker 4: And then my favorite part of this scene was getting the Troubadour singing Winter Glow, because that was one of my favorite songs from the original series, the whole Winter Festival vibe.
Speaker 3: I really little tidbit that I heard is that it's also sort of a tribute to Carol King the way they are winter, spring, summer, and fall. Yes, winter springs.
Speaker 1: All you have to do is call and I'll be there.
Speaker 3: So that was cool.
Speaker 4: And then we also got in this scene the famous I smell snow start snow really shot.
Speaker 1: So it was beautiful. It was just wow. The whole thing was wow.
Speaker 4: And then we go to the Lord.
Speaker 1: I kept thinking of myself, jeez, I was in that show. It's pretty fancy stuff.
Speaker 4: Then we go to Lorlai in Luke's house, which is all decorated, it's all it up for Christmas.
Speaker 3: Did a color or was that me? Did the house change color or was that?
Speaker 1: I'm sure. I'm sure.
Speaker 4: It had double door?
Speaker 3: Was it ever yellow and now it's blue? Was it ever yellow?
Speaker 1: I'm sure it was.
Speaker 3: And some reason I was like, oh, the house is a different color.
Speaker 4: I don't think. I don't think it was young, but yeah, but it has double doors. Now there were two, I know there were two wreaths front doors are different. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: Good note.
Speaker 4: And so they walk in the house and and Rory calls out the dancing Rabbi that was from the original series.
Speaker 3: Me that again, what happens there?
Speaker 4: The dancing Rabbi, the singing Rabbi.
Speaker 3: He was in the original series, She said, do you remember?
Speaker 4: I don't remember. I think okay, yeah, okay. And so Luke is in the kitchen. He's super proud, all excited about that's when that scene you were talking about where he's you know, having his rant about the food they're eating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this scene I did not like.
Speaker 1: It was a little like, again, it'sonistic towards Luke. Why is he being mocked for being so proud of Rory's accomplishments. It's all I don't know. I think maybe mocked is too strong a word, but but it's like more on warning you. He's super proud, super proud, and it's like, why wouldn't he be Why can't can he revel in celebrating this gifted young girl that he had a little bit to do with, uh bringing up you know what I mean, or while not raising but being able, But yes he did, and he it.
Speaker 3: Was very lucash to be so proud of it that I'm like, you were teasing you. It wasn't that didn't totally bother me, But it.
Speaker 4: Was like, yeah, it didn't really bother I mean, that's how I would have expected Luke to be. I didn't think they were necessarily mocking him. It was, but yeah, maybe teasing is.
Speaker 3: A better A little bit too much. Yeah, it had enough of it.
Speaker 4: There was some overkill, but I thought it was kind of cute, like he was really proud of her. And it kind of also makes you realize as the viewer that now all these years have gone by and this is the first really big thing that Rory's done. Like that's what it said to me more than anything else, was Okay, maybe she didn't hit with this amazing success us on the Obama campaign eight years earlier, because if she'd been having all these amazing successes all the way along, Luke wouldn't be so excited about this one. Like that kind of told me, Okay, maybe she's not.
Speaker 3: This is a little bit of a flag. It's almost like eight years have passed, but they're pretending very little time has passed. Not really, do you know what I'm saying, like, timeline wise.
Speaker 1: That's the question.
Speaker 2: Eight years have passed, but it wasn't.
Speaker 1: It wasn't eight years, right, it was because it was or whatever years.
Speaker 3: And I think that that's the thing they're grappling with, right, because it's like in the in the timeline, it's been eight years, but in the storyline, it feels like it's been less time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when they were in the town square, there was a sign in the background that said welcome to twenty sixteen. So I think we're meant to think this is like right after New Year's in twenty sixteen. I've also, I'm so read and I don't know if this is true or not, but I've read that the Palladinos did not watch season seven, so they're really continuing the story from where they left it at the end of season six, So that could be part of it too.
Speaker 3: They didn't want to go eight years later, even though they knew they had to, because that's why the Kirk and Lulu thing is so jarring. Had it been one or two years, it's kind of amusic eight years later, like, let these people have a baby. They've been married forever, do you know what I mean? Or together forever. And same thing with Rory, like her not having an apartment. They're all like crazy about it. It's like she's thirty two years old, Like she should probably have an apartment somewhere. Like there were some things that seemed a little flaggy, like storing your stuff at your mom's when you're thirty two is kind of weird, but when you're twenty four, like it's almost like in their storyline, they only wanted a few years, a couple of years to have passed.
Speaker 4: Right, And two other points to contribute to that. One is that Luke and Laurel I have not had a kid yet, which I have not even had a conversation about having a kid, which is weird and you wouldn't even have a conversation. And then the very not to jump ahead, but the very end of the fourth season or the fourth you know episode also is not what you would expect from a thirty two year old.
Speaker 1: But do the math. Let's do the math. Though at the beginning of the two thousand first season, Laurela is supposed to be thirty two, right, correct, seven seasons now, that's thirty nine, and then we go another eight years and that's forty seven.
Speaker 3: That's why she can't carry the baby?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: And Rory is the age of Loralai when the series began.
Speaker 1: Yes, so yeah, I agree. I think it's I agree to saying it's odd from a storytelling logic, stamp with what we're used to, because I have written down here Luke gos from I am all in to the pragmatist? Where's the romantic guy? Where's the guy?
Speaker 3: Right? Oh?
Speaker 1: He do anything for her? You know? Did she just suddenly want kids now that she's forty seven and wants to do it?
Speaker 2: Wife?
Speaker 1: Why would they talk about it for eight Why wouldn't they not talk about her?
Speaker 3: And actually in storyline, it's a great storyline. That's why I'm saying this comes up repeatedly in this that they're writing. How they would have wanted to write it one, two, maybe three years later, It just happens to be eight years later because, like Suzanne saying, which we will get to the end end of the whole thing, the line is like, really good if it had been a year or two years, the line is really like, Oh, that's why people are so fixated on who's the daddy as opposed to like which I guess plays well, but like then the line because it's like it's almost like cool.
Speaker 1: Like well, it's almost like they don't want anybody to even question or ever want to have to deal with this question of Luke and Laurel I not having kids. It's like they just sort of gloss it over and here we are eight years later and now they're having this inane conversation about Surgus, which dumb Luke doesn't understand.
Speaker 2: So it's it's odd and it's very odd.
Speaker 3: These are some of the flags, Like there's flags. There's definitely flags. There's a lot of things that are really good. Yeah, there's some weird flags.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh god, m hm.
Speaker 4: So also in this scene is where Paul makes his debut. I thought it was kind of funny with the wrench, and Luke was impressed with the wrench.
Speaker 1: That was a really nice wrench.
Speaker 3: I'm all forgetting everything about this guy. And it's like it's been two years, Like it's just dumb for me.
Speaker 4: That was like, this is not Rory, right, going to say that, like you're watching this going, this isn't the Rory. That was like so attentive to detail and had everything also so I forget about a relationship.
Speaker 3: And Rory is successful, Like she would have been even more successful. She wouldn't be so struggling. She would have bought a house, she would live. I don't know where she would live, right New York City. Maybe she's got She just wouldn't have been so meandery. That That's always been my flag is, like, they make Rory and it gets worse.
Speaker 1: Maybe just flash the lu been thriving.
Speaker 3: Now there is a scene in this that I think tracks with what Rory would do. But continue.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So then it's later that night, Luke and Lorlai are getting ready for bed. I have to call out the Felix and oscar line virus. That was a callback to season one, which I loved.
Speaker 3: Also, her pajamas and thank got her hair was acceptable to me. Her hair was so That's why I was like, Oh, there's Lauren and Graham, there's Lorlai. The other hair was just.
Speaker 4: Rushing me.
Speaker 3: I couldn't stand it.
Speaker 4: I thought that was a cute scene with all the all the junk TV shows on the DVR. Totally, it just was it was all those that's the stuff she would have watched.
Speaker 3: I know, we'll talk about it in pop culture. But are all those real movies?
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 3: We'll find out, because I'm sure they are.
Speaker 1: I don't, I don't. I think some of them are. Some of them, I don't know. But then they, you know, they you know, they portray Luke and Laura as having this sort of randy mutual powerful attraction to one another because she jumps in bed and he, you know, he kind of goes he goes for right. Yeah, and they keep alluding to, you know, we're gonna keep Rory awake and this kind of thing. And that's just for me. It just translates into you know, babies long ago.
Speaker 3: This hair. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, go off the babies. But the hair is not see that doesn't I think it's cute, pretty hair. It's just not her. It's too it's too a lady who lunches hair, a country club lady. That's not Laura's hair. Anyway, Scott, Sorry, you're talking about something very serious and I'm still on the hair. But yeah, I agree with you. These two would have had talked about babies eight years earlier and they got back together. But anyway, and.
Speaker 4: Then stress tap dancing.
Speaker 3: Okay, dumb, a little bit funny, a little funny, a little hashtag trying too hard, Yeah, a little bit funny.
Speaker 4: Maybe I'll try tap dancing.
Speaker 3: I wanted to try it for myself, but Rory's not going to do that.
Speaker 4: And it was like, yeah, I did a funny line when Laura I was talking about she's been feeling her mortality lately, and she looked at a cruise brochure and then I broke hip. That made me laugh after she looked at.
Speaker 1: The for sure.
Speaker 3: So then Scott did this, but she's thirty three, thirty four, thirty five or six seven, thirty nine.
Speaker 1: She's forty nine for she's forty seven now.
Speaker 3: Forty seven, okay, thank you. Yeah. I had to count that on my fingers every really, And so this was the first scene where they she's like my age now.
Speaker 1: Based only from two thousand at thirty two to sixteen years later, she's forty eight years old.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's just a tiny bit younger than me now, which is maybe why I liked it more. I don't know, like now I'm the age. I don't know anyone keep going.
Speaker 4: I was just going to say, this is the scene where they first mentioned that Richard has passed and they talk about missing Grandpa.
Speaker 1: So that was where that was established, and.
Speaker 3: It was all well done the whole time. It was good. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then the Luke's Diner Seene Taylor in the septic tank. There was another thing back in season one about the septect tank.
Speaker 3: That's that all played well for me, you guys. That all was funny and real and the whole thing.
Speaker 4: And he, Michael Winters just does not age. It's like he is Taylor, Like he didn't seem different at all, Like he just fell right back into that role.
Speaker 3: I wrote that down to I was like, he looks exactly the same. Yeah, he's acting the same, he looks the same. It was.
Speaker 4: He was great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I thought they struck a very nice tone with having Taylor do the rant and then storm out and then Luke follow him out and say, come on, give me the petition.
Speaker 2: Yeah I'll sign it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I look, it was a nice community, small town moment.
Speaker 3: I totally agree, Scott, I totally agree.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: What I thought of is that thing that's been going around that you age a lot at forty and sixty. So my thought was maybe he was like had already done his age jumps because he looks exactly the same. So anyway, I don't know, how.
Speaker 1: Do we feel about Kirk getting pelted with beggels in the face?
Speaker 4: Hilarious?
Speaker 3: How did I miss that?
Speaker 1: I whacked him, just drilled him in the face with two halves of bagels, just whack and then whack, whack.
Speaker 4: I thought it was hilarious.
Speaker 1: No, definitely funny.
Speaker 3: Right, you didn't you miss.
Speaker 4: That, Amy, You didn't see that part.
Speaker 3: I never saw him get hit with bagels at all.
Speaker 4: And that's that's why he said, Luke, what do you say, Luke, you need to control your woman or something like that. Okay, because she was throwing bagels at him.
Speaker 1: Because he was, he was saying, oober right, yeah, noise. Yeah. But I find it interesting how certain characters are treated in this piece, you know, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're they're a little bit mocked. I will say, though, there's a very cute moment. I know, we'll get to it when she's in the oouber and she's making fun of him and then she smiles like she loves she loves it.
Speaker 1: Well that's when he started singing right the Carpenter song.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, anyway, we'll get to that, keep going, okay.
Speaker 4: And then this is where Paul shows up again. We forgot about him, and then she forgets about him again in this scene because she leaves with the food and has to come back. That was pretty funny.
Speaker 3: Oh Chewbacca, Why who lives Chewbacca?
Speaker 4: That's coming up?
Speaker 2: Oh god, it's so bad.
Speaker 3: These are the parts that bothered me. I'm sorry, we haven't gotten it yet.
Speaker 1: Okay, sorry, okay, okay, let's just make an agreement now. There will be no referencing future episodes. Thank you. That's enough, Okay, I don't want to hear it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Danielle, you got it.
Speaker 4: Okay. And then so now the dragonfly scene.
Speaker 1: So that's the first act. This is the act break.
Speaker 3: Hey, okay, thank you, Because I didn't I wouldn't have known that, so I appreciate. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we'll write it about twenty seven minutes and twenty nine minutes with all that, you know, we get to Emily's house at about twenty nine minutes. Okay, so that's your first act. Your first act is twenty five thirty minutes and an hour and a ninety minute piece.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: So then I'm like, oh, Okay, here we are. Now this is when the action is going to start. This is and it does, so you know, and the death of Richard is the thing that propelled it into act too that we already knew about. But it's yet it's still surprised us. When still surprised me when I saw it in this how they use it so so far it's structured very very well, very well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thisss.
Speaker 3: Thing is really good. It does not feel like ninety minutes it went so fast.
Speaker 1: It did not. It felt very compact. I agree.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, So that's that's a good call out, Scott, because like I was not obviously I'm the viewer. I am not any kind of a production person, but I was not watching it from that structural lens, so I was just watching the plot unfolds. That's a good point that you make about the different acts because I didn't pick up on that, But now in retrospect, I'm like, oh, well, yeah, there totally was a break right there. So we go to the Dragonfly. This is now the first time we've seen the dragonfly. There was a ton of information in this scene. So first of all, before we get to that, I want to point out did you guys notice that Alex Borstein was credited as Drella but she never appeared in the episode.
Speaker 3: What's going on with that? Is that it cut or something.
Speaker 4: That's what I was wondering, because at the very start of the scene coming downstairs.
Speaker 1: It comes later in this episode, not in this episode. But isn't she She's in a different Episode's Notrella? No, no, no, it's it's it's some famous costume designer from the Golden Ear of Hollywood or something.
Speaker 3: Right right, So a main series too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Alex Borstein is in it later as the other character, not as Drella. So that's why I was confused why she got credit in this episode as Drellalla wasn't in this episode because.
Speaker 1: They were they were crediting everybody that was originally cast in Gilmore Girls, and and plus Amy and Alex are like best friends.
Speaker 3: Something to that.
Speaker 4: I just yeah, I just wondered if there was like a deleted scene or something, because when they come in, when when Michelle and Laura came down the stairs of the Dragonfly and they turned to go into the living room, there is someone with dark hair sitting there playing a harp.
Speaker 3: It must there must have been a scene that got cut.
Speaker 1: That's what I was.
Speaker 4: Thinking, Like, you don't see her face well enough to know what they mentioned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so so they had to explain away why she wasn't in the series, and this is how they did it. She said, you know, attle bit of the farms at some kind of a seminar.
Speaker 3: Things which to her career kind of this is something behind the scenes drama, because there was a little drama that Amy said Melissa wasn't available. Melissa said she'd never been asked all publicly, and then suddenly it worked out and Melissa does appear. Yeah, eventually, Yes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there were various comments on Twitter that eventually got deleted and somehow it all got.
Speaker 3: There was some sort of behind the scenes hubbah, but it all worked out.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So we find out Michelle is married to Frederick, and Frederick wants kids, but Michelle doesn't. Roy Choi was was here.
Speaker 3: Roy CHOI was like not having any of it. It was a little hashtag trying too hard, but it was also kind of amusing, just Roy Choy. Some of it was good.
Speaker 1: I didn't Michelle had a good line here to Laura, l I, why aren't aren't you on Zenix? It was invented for you.
Speaker 3: This was all fine.
Speaker 1: For me.
Speaker 3: It was like moving along, It's like it's all good. It felt.
Speaker 1: We get the gypsy phone call, we get we get some Gypsy.
Speaker 3: Arry Michelle, like I felt like he fell right back into the character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but isn't it odd.
Speaker 1: That Dragonfly experience without Suki.
Speaker 3: Yes, there's a big hole.
Speaker 2: There's a hole totally because when.
Speaker 4: They when that scene opens, you expect them to go in the kitchen and see who and we didn't. We saw Roy Troy, which he was fine.
Speaker 3: But it was that if we knew Melissa was in it, I would have just put her in there.
Speaker 1: And then just that was that, you know, the comedy chops of Melissa versus Roy CHOI let's see who you know. And he did an adequate job, don't get me wrong, but I mean you're competing with one of the finest actresses of our era, you know, especially one of the finest comedians. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So then, like you said, we had the phone call from Gypsy. Lorela's jeep is broken again, which is a convenient mechanism to get Lorelai into Kirk's uber to go to Hartford seen by Rose.
Speaker 3: What's that goods seen by Rose, Rose falls right back into being Gypsy. And you also realize, like Rose is a great actress, like she's great in hacks, Like she's great. Yeah, she's she's underutilized her in Gilmourt.
Speaker 4: I agree with that. I would have liked to have seen more from Gypsy.
Speaker 1: She probably was. I don't know that she was available too much. She was working all over the place.
Speaker 3: Probably. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And if they're not going to commit to somebody and give them a series regular role and their their agency are going to just like, hey, she's not available, she's doing this, she's doing that, and you're up stepping up, so step up, or we're gonna just like your.
Speaker 3: Points out that Rose Rose is Burda. Also Emily's made and that's like, that's cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it took me a couple of watches to realize that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's hard to tell.
Speaker 4: So they're in Kirk's Uber driving to Hartford. There's a hole in the floor, Yeah, water pitcher over the over the back seat, and then we get the little bit of singing the carpenters and then okay.
Speaker 3: Just showing this picture so everybody can see as Burda. God, do you see that really really make her look different.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that's basically where we are. They get to Emily's Burda answers the door, Emily is very welcoming towards Rory and completely ignores Laural. I that pretty much tracked with the entire seven seasons of the show. And then what didn't track was all these people that are in Emily's house and they're all fixing things and there's children running around.
Speaker 1: Well, no, no, I don't know if Emily just completely ignoring Laurel I tracked for me at all. It made it made me ask why, and we got the answer, which I thought was great.
Speaker 2: I agree with you.
Speaker 3: I noticed like coldness, she's not blatantly ignoring her, and then when you get the reveal of what happened, you're like, right, I actually don't.
Speaker 2: We'll get to that.
Speaker 3: I think that was an overreaction on Emily's part. It's like, but we'll talk about that.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I thought it tracked for Emily because she is in the original series she very clearly favored Rory over Laurel I many times, So to me that just kind of made sense that you know, she's like, oh, I'm so happy to see you and that's like, oh, Laurel, I's here too, Okay, So then we go in the living room and see the picture.
Speaker 3: Amazing.
Speaker 4: I mean I thought it was great, Like he he was such a presence in the show. How could they have done anything.
Speaker 3: To And I love the banter about like it's ok, hey, you messed up the measurements, right I did. That was so funny to me and left.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a way to have a giggle about something that's so.
Speaker 4: Sad too, right, that's true. Yeah, it kind of lifted the mood a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the thirty minutes. This is the act break. This is propelling us into act too. And now we know what Winter is about. It's the winter of their discontent. It's the winter of death. It's the winter of having to deal with the absence of Richard, which is which is definitely cold and wintery mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then we.
Speaker 1: But it started to interrupt, but it did border on ugly, you know, Emily was yeah, ugly to the Laura.
Speaker 3: I I mean, it was just the high drama of this episode. It gets like.
Speaker 1: Absolutely absolutely sorry.
Speaker 3: Which I was good though, which I was good with it. I needed that sort of like oh wow, okay, we're going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it spawned a great line, mom, you spinal tap the painting.
Speaker 4: So that leads us into the flashback of the actual funeral, which was incredibly well done. They told the story visually, they didn't weigh it down with a bunch of dialogue. I thought it was beautiful.
Speaker 3: And as.
Speaker 4: We go to the house and we see Jason styles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a great that was really great. I have to say that was a great scene, so well acted, like he was so right back in the character. He was so sweet, like it was that was like everything about that was great, right, And I thought it was interesting to kind of a reveal unexpected, like all.
Speaker 4: The right exactly because when we last saw him he was gonna sue Richard and so now you know he's here to pay his respects.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it's really kind of smarmy in my opinion, and here he is, are you happy? And then he makes a move to kiss her and.
Speaker 3: It just their old friends, remember their old friends from camp. That's why he calls her by the nickname. And it's like we need some of those like.
Speaker 2: Exciting has he.
Speaker 1: Has Christopher vibes to me, there's there's there's Ick.
Speaker 3: There Digger and it's like they're old friends and like it is what it is. But it was I thought that he would be there. That totally tracks. He definitely would go mm hmm. So yeah, I was really I liked it.
Speaker 4: So the patio scene, Okay, first of all, great physical acting by Lauren Graham, like climbing over and around all the people and stumbling over her.
Speaker 1: Ok. I just want to say right here, Uh, that was a masterful scene. I think it was the best monologue, the funniest monologue that Lauren Graham did in this entire series.
Speaker 3: That story with her memory.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that story was so funny and she acted it so well, and you know, I'm in there with Teddy Bedminster and you know, you know getting uh, we were just finishing up you know what I mean, the British or gum and the brothers are you know. I mean, it was so inappropriate and it was so great.
Speaker 2: It was I scene.
Speaker 1: I rewound that thing five times and watched it and just roared every single time.
Speaker 3: It's good.
Speaker 1: Her top monologue, her test and it gave me Lucille ball vibes. With the physicality of the clown. I over this guy who was asleep in the wheelchair, and I was wondering, God, did this guy just die and his wheelchair. She's got to give a speech, I mean, what a hilarious I mean, to put that in such a sweet moment with Emily asking people to tell their favorite stories of Richard, I mean, you couldn't as I mean, it was almost sacred right, and Laurel I just blanks the bed, if you know what I mean. And it was just beautiful. It was so funny. It was the funny. I think it's the funniest thing I've ever seen on that show. I've never seen anything funnier. It was great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought it was really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I wrote down, just hand her the Emmy, just hand it to her. Now, nobody's this good. Sorry, And it was just brilliant. Kudos, kudos.
Speaker 4: And then Emily's look at the end of just like utter speechlessness, like I can't believe she just said that. And then that leads us into the k argument. I mean, I could I understand Emily's point of view. I think they were both hurting and they were both taking it out on each other. And I always think you know, Laurlai, couldn't you have just like made up a story?
Speaker 3: Correct? But it was also so lourla and like everybody like I, I think I would have just been like that was embarrassing and given her hall pass. It turned so ugly.
Speaker 1: But that's her default, you know, that's that's a personality that was formed by what she considers to be the the the abuse from her family, and the reason why she left is to use stick and humor to cover everything and to make light of everything. And even in this moment, it was the only way she was possibly going to survive because she's not she doesn't feel like part of She doesn't feel like Emily's daughter half of the time, or probably three quarters of the time. So why is she calling on me? I'm not even her daughter. She never even treated me and I have to she never treated me really like a daughter at all. It's always just been mountains of criticism and anger coming at me and I'm the shit black sheep of the family and the shame of the family and not upholding the family name. And now I'm supposed to give some testimonial in a.
Speaker 3: I would go as far as you're going with it, but the part that I think that really does make sense that you're saying is her coping mechanism is sort of that, yeah, you know, sarcasm, making a joke, trying to you know, and so because it.
Speaker 1: Works for her in every other situation of her life.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah. And then in the in the kitchen argument, you know, Emily is unable to acknowledge that Lorella is grieving also, and she immediately goes to a place of accusation like you know, you're not upset about this, or like you're I forget exactly how she worded it, but she's not acknowledging that Lorelai is experiencing pain too, and that's when they have the whole and that's that's that's the end with about a full freaking circle, Like this is like you were saying, Scott, this is exactly where it always ends up, is they fight about whatever and laurel I ends up feeling like she's not part of the family, and you know.
Speaker 3: All when you're talking about it, it just makes my heart hurt.
Speaker 1: Like that scene was just it was painfully it was beautifully written, beautifully acted, and it's so it's so true. It rang so true when a parent dies, it all tends to start to fall apart. A structure of a family is impacted to a point where and you know, everybody acts reacts to that death in different ways. The siblings react in different ways, not every you know, it's not like everybody's holding hands and you know that's that's a very rare circumstance. But I know from experience perience that people have different responses, and those two had far different responses. So it's very true to life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, agreed.
Speaker 1: All right, that's gonna wrap her up. Winter episode one of the seasons from Netflix. Thank you, Susanne, Thank you, waymy, it's always a pleasure rattling swords, sparring, and.
Speaker 3: Joy I'm happy to be sparring again. We really did not spar all of season seven, and I think that's because it was kind of season seven sort of just chugs along, but it's not so.
Speaker 1: There's there's some really strong episodes in season seven. I have to give it credit anyway, that's gonna do it. Thanks for your downloads, your cards and letters. We love you, we need you, UH can't live without you. And that's gonna do it. And remember we and I I'm all in, Stay safe, everyone, j Hey, everybody, and don't forget. Follow us on Instagram at I Am All In Podcast, and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com