Speaker 1: Taking a Walk.
Speaker 2: So music and art are they're not benign. They're there to help, They're they're there to guide. I don't mean just the people that have to write it. I mean we lock out on a lot of things that we do. But you mentioned it before too, Buzz, which is it enables an enacts the spirit of community.
Speaker 3: Hi, I'm Buzznight and welcome to the Taking a Walk Podcast. This is the podcast where we love talking with musicians.
Speaker 4: We get the inside.
Speaker 3: Scoop about what they're up to and how they got there with their latest project and all other fun high jinks along the way. I'm very pleased on this episode to have a returning guest. We were able to take a walk in person together pretty early on in the podcast, and it was a delight in person. But if it can't be in person, it's a delight to welcome back the one and only Bill Payne from Little Feet to the Taken Off Podcast. Bill, it's so great to be with you.
Speaker 2: Save here and yeah, what an honor to be invited back. I mean, I've been keeping track of the various people you've had on. It's it's an amazing array of artists and thinkers and just good people, so creators to all you're doing mans, it's.
Speaker 3: Great having a blast, and you know, for me, it's so amazing because I get to talk to people that I've followed and cross paths with or admired over the years, and you are certainly one of those people. And the band Little Feet also is very near and dear as are you to my heart, so thank you for being on.
Speaker 4: It's really tremendous.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, rn Bill.
Speaker 3: Since the podcast is called taking a Walk, I do want to ask you if if you had the opportunity to take a walk or a saunter with somebody living or dead, they could be certainly affiliated in and around music, but doesn't have to be. There's no rules to what we're doing here. Who would you take a walk with and where would you take a walk with them?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, that's well. I mean, I'm thinking this book I'm writing, called Carnival Ghost, I've got a huge section it on surfing for a number of reasons. I mean not only the art and act of surfing, but the music that surrounded it, the films that I went to and watched people on stage narrate their movies. Well, one of those guys was Bruce Brown, who also did movies on motorcycles. Bruce had Barefoot Adventure. He went to South Africa with a couple of different people in another film, but he had a soundtrack to Barefoot Adventure, which featured Bud Powell. Let's see I've got Thad Jones, I think was on trumpet man. Are some great great jazz musicians. Dennis Budenmeyer was on there. Who I got a chance to tell me I was aware of this record. I'd love to take a walk with Bruce Brown. He passed away a few years ago, and I'd probably do it up in the Santa Barbara area, on one of those those beaches up there, maybe even along the cliffs of a further north of Santa Barbara, between Santa Barbara and the Gaviota Pass, some lovely territory up there. I spent a lot of time surfing and just trying to think out my next moves, and it is a good contemplative area. I think it'd be wonderful to talk with him up there.
Speaker 3: I love it, I love it. We have a lot to catch up on. We want to talk about the book. We'll come back to that. Certainly your photography as well. I want to hear if you've been continuing to dabble at that. But the exciting news too that we want to talk about is Strike up the band, the brand new Little Feet release which has got some amazing folks on it. You've got Lark and Poe and Molly Tuttle and Larry Campbell. I want to hear how that all came together, how this new project came together for you and the band.
Speaker 2: Well, from the inception of putting the band back together after Paul Brer passed away in twenty nineteen. Scott Gerard was on the Very Show the very date in October that Paul passed away. They joined us. Lynn, Larry Campbell and Teresa Williams had been on the tour up until they had a couple of other obligations they had to fill, so we brought in Scott. I had met him during the tour with the Dbie Brothers and he was the musical director for Greg Alman. We had a gig coming up also in Jamaica. Where are we going to do it? Are we? We decided, with the way Scott was playing, the way we all felt about it, that we should definitely do that a cemented relationship with Scott, which we did, and a few months later we brought in Tony Leoni on drums, so everything was set and in COVID hit so we were communicating the well exactly what you and I are doing now over the Internet and sitting tracks back and forth and recording and whatnot, but no get togethers. That didn't happen until tomorrow, November twenty twenty one. When we did get together, we had this agenda which management helped figure out, which was let's go and take song requests from fans, which we did, which opened a whole catalog that we hadn't played in a long time, songs like Strawberry Flats for example, off the very first album. But it's shortly to follow that. Bud was there the notion of going out and playing Waiting for Columbus, which I had always sort of balked at, to be honest with you, but it made perfect sense now that we had this band that could play anything. It was a gutsy move to try and replicate a record, if not replicated, at least play songs in order and then put our spin on it. I thought it was a necessary thing to do. But even so, the notion of putting in a record together was deeply planned. I'd written twenty songs with Robert Hunter, for example, four of which had been recorded in twenty twelve on Richter ragg I just thowt like, we don't have to prove we can play Dixie Chicken. Somebody asked me how to keep that song so fresh? And I said, well, what do you do when you sing happy birthday to someone? You see it from the heart.
Speaker 4: I hope, yeah, that's wonderful.
Speaker 2: That kind of thing. That's what we do. So this was a long, securitious answer to a project that was the inception was in the beginning of the band coming back Together, which was in twenty twenty. But we brought Advance Powell, who works with Christa Ableton. He's engineer and worked with Fish. He was one of those guys. Honestly, we recorded at Blackbird Studios in Nashville, which he helped put together with George Massenberg was also involved in that, who was also one of our engineers for many, many years. Advance is one of those guys a buzz that can just before you even think of what you're going to say to him. He's already there, or when I contemplate saying, hey, listen, when we oh, no, you've already got that. Okay, God, he was ten steps ahead of me almost the entire way. He brought in Christian Rodgers to sing backgrounds on some vocals. She's out now with Post Malone, so I mean his taste are great. He solidified that by choosing Littleviedt I thought to work with. But he and I as a production team also fell into line very well with any kind of scene like that. It takes a while for people to sort of acclimate to one another, which was the case with the band and with Vance. But he was so adapt at making people feel comfortable, and we had a couple of all ramps we could take with Scott Grard, who wanted to work with our engineer who he also brought in, which is Charles A. Martinez turn Els or Charlie as we call him. That work with Steely Dan, with with Donald Fagan, those credittions alone the doors wide open for him as far as I'm concerned. So then it was a matter of songs. I started writing songs with with I went back to New York to write with Tony and with Scott. We came up with a couple of things there. One of them was the very first track on the record, which is a title that I'd come up with and actually had to start to some music with as well, and some lyrics. Four days of having three days of work. And when people hear that, I mean, I'll literally be in an uber in Denver, in New York and Saint Louis, wherever the heck I am, and I'll ask the drive where are you from? And do you sally? They're from Africa, sometimes Guatemala. Wherever I'll play them, I'll play first, I'll play some where they're from. I'll play that music where they're from. Oh you're from the Congo. Here's some Congolese roombaut for you. And I say, well, now here's a big I play with, and I'll play that track and they're like, oh that's.
Speaker 4: Good, Oh that's awesome. Those are like many focus groups, you don't.
Speaker 2: And honestly answer. I mean to throw it out in people like that. It's you know what it's like, It's you get honest reactions from people sometimes strike up. The band reminds me greatly of of of Let It Roll. For one main reason is that Letter Roll we were we were reintroducing the band to people. We were in a very similar position this time, and when things are running smoothly with Letter Roll, we had at the Helm Peter Asher management. This time we have Ken Levitan Brian Pennox at Vector. When things are going smoothly, as I said, Uh, you can almost script what's going to happen. I'm pretty good at that. And I just was not surprised at the reaction we've been getting. I knew it would be good. It's still that the old adage when you're playing, you put your mask on first. So I'm there, I have my mask on, I'm ready. I just think it's a really the portraitures that are on that record are are well framed. I enjoyed the writing process, not in wiscont and Tony, but but with Charlie Starr from BlackBerry Smoke, John levinthal is a good friend in New York, Vince Herman, who I just worked with that Red Rocks, who's in a band called Leftover Salmon. We did the last song on the record, which was New Orleans Cries When She Sings, which is an ode to UH to New Orleans, a dangerous place, but a wonderful place. Nonetheless, life is pretty good right.
Speaker 4: Now, it's tremendous.
Speaker 3: And thinking about really the uh, the added collaborators too, I'm just so fascinated by that that group. Big fans of all of them, for of all talk about your opportunity to connect with and work with Larkin Poe.
Speaker 2: If I'm not mistaken, that was an idea that Scott Gerard might have had. But it was also an idea for sure that that Vance Powell brought to the table because they live in town. They live in Nashville, so he felt he could contact them and wheeld them in and Scott I had a song and form as well, but I deferred to Scott, and I'm glad I did because I think they worked out beautifully on the title. Trucks struck up the band.
Speaker 3: And then there's the phenomenal Molly Tuttele connecting with her.
Speaker 4: What was that?
Speaker 2: I told Molly before we went to the studio, I said, listen, the only thing this bluegrass about this song that you're going to play and was called Bluegrass Pines by Robert hundred myself, is the title. Other than that, it's a long securitis song and if you need any help, let me know, but I'm turning you loose on it. I'll be there to help guide it. But I want to play acoustic guitar and just to feel comfortable to try things and let's see what fits. So she said exactly that, And it's just an extraordinary, extraordinarily warm person, which I would have expected nothing less, but sometimes you don't know until you actually meet people. So that was a thrill to to've had her on this record.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think it's so brilliant, you know, once again for fans of the band for a long time to get what they you know, always will expect at a Little Feet as as a band and the great playing, but then adding these these these new voices which are really emerging brilliantly out of places like Nashville, and and they're just these phenomenal players that are just just a whole different generation. And what's so cool about that generation is that they have such great respect for certainly the past as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well well said of Uzz and Little Feet is known and has been known for a long long time as a musician's musicians group, which we still are and we're not pop stars or rock stars. Some people try and put that label on I've tried to put on me a couple of times, and I said, look, if you want to think of you a rock star, go ahead. I think of myself as a rockhead mainly, but mainly I am undoubtedly a musician. So that's what when those doors are open, that's that's who we're inviting in our people. We're in the same club. And the club, ironically is for most of us as Breator Mark used to say, I would never join a club that would accept me as a member. They're pretty much of that mindset too. But we are a rather exclusive club. As a musician, and the trials and errors and tribulations that come with taking your arts seriously but having trying to have fun with it is those are the past we've chosen over the years when we have very similar stories to tell along those lines, which is which is great. So when I meet people, and I've done this for a long time, is it's not always a musician within little Feet who already had the mantle of being a band's band and that kind of thing. Or when Eric Clapton came to see us, I said, man, you saw us week a week or two ago. What's going on? He goes, I brought my band here. I want to I want to hear a proper band. I go, oh, okay, good, thank you. So as a proper band, that's that's a pretty good high compliment from Eric. But we we are, I mean, that's that's what we do. And being part of a proper band for me is what platform are you using to tell the story? Are you writing your own songs? That's not necessary. You don't have to. There are plenty great writers. There's plenty of great songs out there. How do you treat it with it within regard to not only your instrument, but how you blend with others? How do you play with others? There's so much that's involved, and so much that like being an athlete where they have great peripheral vision, whether it's on the basketball court or the hockey or whatever they're doing. Within music, you have great, or should have pretty wide and great peripheral hearing as well. So it's what you hear and what you react against.
Speaker 4: It's like our conversation, Yeah, natural flow, which is you.
Speaker 3: You guys have always made it look so easy, but there's nothing easy about what you're what you're doing. It's complicated, it's intricate, it's it brings you to different places, and it blends all different genres. Now it's it's very popular for artists to go, well, yeah, I'm blending genres. I find my own, you know, particular niche there between this genre and that genre. But in my opinion, when I first discovered little Feet a few years back, that's everything little Feet was about. It wasn't really genre defined in my opinion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you, and I think that. Fortunately, for most of the stuff we play, it sounds easy. In other words, it sounds like falling off logs, so you're you're not struggling to I mean, you might not struggle, but you might have to hear a song a few times to get a craft around your head. But the water is pretty warm. It's a warm dive as a musician when you try and play it, though, it's the people come up to me, I mean, gosh, and they'll say, well it was, and I go harder you thought, and they go, yeah, I was thinking. Because I'm writing a chapter now in this book Horrible Ghosts about songwriting, and I want to take people through the process, and one of the things I'm discovering about that process is is that in trying, for my part, trying to keep the music is interesting as the lyrics. Depending on what the song is, the lyrics oftentimes will take precedent precedence only in the cadence that I'm following. So if it's everything four to four, like one two three four, but a lot of my songs have like one two three four and then boom, boom doom again, like two more extra beats in a certain in section to accommodate lyrics or to commodate a musical phrase. So I've never ever shied away from that. It used to to confuse Richie Hayward sometimes because he'd go, look, the one is here, and it would but I said, no, Richie, when I'm going one two three, and then I'm feeling the beats happening there, and then it's one two three, one two three four, so it's a seven beat phrase rather than four. But he'd laugh and go, Okay. I said, as long as you know what you're doing, you counted any way you want. But what I'm feeling is when the accent hits hard. That's where I start to recount. That's where one starts for me, much like in Tom Wolfe's book The Right Stuff, where the astronauts didn't they didn't want to evalue it too heavily what they were doing back in the day because they were basically, I don't they were human beings, but they didn't feel they were much better than the monkeys that were crawling in some of those capsules, this popping them off into the air. In the beginning, for me, I didn't really think about whether something was in a certain time signature or didn't have three eight beats before we talk took off on something I just I didn't want to know. And then later I thought, well, why am I I don't need to remain ignorant of this. Let's uh if the proposition of learning, where it's learning scales, or learning more chords, or listening to a broader context of music, UH and or reading maybe literature or books that are a little over your head and you have to look at a dictionary every now and then, what you're doing is expanding your vocabulary. I don't see how that hurts anyone or anything, So I've I then began to take that approach and go a little more consciously into what I was doing and why, and without fear of interrupting or hurting my creativity, which is the way a lot of people think it does well.
Speaker 3: When I think about working with you know, Lark and Poe and Molly Tuttle and of course you know Larry Campbell on the new project, and then I sort of reflect with with your work beyond Little Feet, which to name a few, I mean, I think of certainly your work with Bonnie Rait and James Taylor. But then I go off to thinking about your work you know that you did with Pink Floyd and and uh, and then of course the longstanding work with the Doobie Brothers. It's always covered, you know, different territory for for sure. Is there any territory that you haven't covered that you would still like to cover?
Speaker 2: Well, that's an excellent question, and uh, I guess the short answers is no. But there's a song I've I've I've got that I help will up here on the next record. We have done some jazz, but we haven't I've embraced jazz in the last few years more than I've ever done in my life. Become more cognizant of things, listening to a lot more of Herbie Hancock, who might have also been a person to take a walk with, to be honest with you, he's one of those guys. Wayne Shorter, so Wayne Shorter and Herbie Hancock with their collective work. I've got a song called Train's Blues, which I might change because I didn't come up with the title. But Train's Blues is also an album that John Coltrane did. There's a couple of books called that, so the title might shift, but the music's pretty interesting and it takes us to Paris, the book that starts to really open, not only musically but lyrically. Neon Park helped shape some of the songs Paul Breer did. It's it's not an easy song to play, but I think it's going to sound really, really good. I got a couple of people for the horn section that I'm contemplating for that. But yeah, I think what happens is when we listen to or when I listen to music. I'm going to listen to something in the next two weeks, two years, whatever, and I'm going to go, well, I'd like to have that perform some part of my writing. So I guess in that sense it was difficult for me to answer your question, what have I not tackled yet that i'd like to. I think that door is always open, though, and it's increasingly open, not only on the level of music, but on the level of the expansion of ideas through lyrics. In describing a section or a part of my writing yesterday, I was suggesting that having the music be as important as the lyrics. I caught myself and I went, you know what, wait a second. When I used to set myself in the room to play piano, the piano for me was an instrument to exploit visualization, sometimes at the beach and hearing the waves break, or the seagulls, the wind heading the surf. I come home and play for my mother or my parents. This is what I saw today, that kind of thing, And I thought, well, so that was already ingrained in my ethic as a musician from the very get go. But now as a guy who's seventy six years old and writing about it, I went, well, no, don't discount that. Just admit that, you like the Chinese where they keep burying their past, you forgot about it, You forgot about the importance of it. But that importance is being visual, is what created songs like Gringo, Red, Streamliner, the Time Loves a Hero. I mean there's a lot of them. I mean that meld the visual and it puts the person right there, which is what great writing does obviously, and I think songs obviously do that too. I mean you've done it for a long time.
Speaker 3: Yes, cinematic right, They're just they bring you to a place, which is why as a non musician, I think about this often. Talked to my wife who's a photographer, about this as well. We think about where the heck would we be in our life without music.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, I you know, I just signed somebody sent me a letter, Drives twenty two years old, sins I suffered from depression and anxiety. And what I do is when I when I feel that coming on, I put on your music, little feats music, and it helps, it helps calm me down, helps draw me out of it. And I wrote him back and I signed this stuff for him as he requested. But I said, look, first of all, thank you for sharing your story with me. Music is obviously, it has power, not just ours, but a lot of music out there has that kind of power to shape our emotions, our feelings and whatnot. And it's just important. I mean we try, Like I might have told this on our first walk we did in New Jersey. The people try and bury music about the amount of times they try and marry God. And I'm not a believer in much of anything, to be honest with you, but I just think people go to great links to deny things. They deny it based on a very slim view of what's going on generally speaking, but ana doubtly. I mean, I've run into far more people that have told me that. Look, I was in a common and somebody put some of your music on and it brought me out of it. You know, we're not here to cure cancer. I'm not saying suggesting that, but this has been told me at least twice, if not three times, where people were in dire straits. And I mean the playt Mozart has the ability to to up the ante with one's intellectual prowess, they say, And I don't thought that.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back with more of the Taking a Walk Podcast. Welcome back to the Taking a Walk Podcast.
Speaker 4: I think I might have told you in you know.
Speaker 3: One of our offline conversations about this other podcast that I'm producing, Len Hoffman hosted it's called His Music Saved Me, and it's exactly exploring that premise there of the healing and therapeutic powers that music has for certainly the musician benefit, but really from the fan benefit. Lynn interviewed a gentleman by the name of Brian Harris, who is the CEO and founder of this company called med Rhythms, and they're the first FDA approved product that really is a music based product that is a form of therapy for I believe stroke victims. And so he's just at the beginning of this powerful medical journey. That really highlights it from that standpoint. But it's just the stories out there are many of them in terms of what music really really means and how it lifts us up and can bring us together, and just the communal feeling of being together.
Speaker 4: I feel like Strike Up the.
Speaker 3: Band as an overall vibe really is celebratory.
Speaker 4: Is that fair to say?
Speaker 2: I think he is, even with a song like New Orleans Prize when she sings it's contemplative in the beginning that talks about you know, I've seen your dark side, have seen your sunrise. I mean New Orleans is a rough place, and we know that from the news and from perhaps having traveled there. You go to watch yourself, you know. But it's also a city full of life and of an attachment to heritage that celebrates life and a mixture of music from the Caribbean and what professor long Hair, you know what he played here in the Calliope. I was just there for Piano Night a few weeks ago, playing with twenty six out of youd pianists at the House of Blues. It's my second you're doing it?
Speaker 4: Oh wow?
Speaker 2: I had a ball. I mean, I'm not used to being on stage just by myself and playing and singing, but I played that song for everybody, and the city's rising. Nobody ain't nobody can keep us down. So yeah, it's celebratory. And I love the song that John Levinthal I wrote when Heart's Fall, same kind of thing. He had this beautiful music that was had that had a good edge to it, but it was also I enjoyed taking people on a journey. I think what we're talking about earlier, guys, was the way music affects us, the way it hits the synopsis, the synopsis in our brain, you know those things that click. It's almost like when you exercise and the endorphins hit and that gives you a feeling of uplift and whatnot. It's music is it's very similar. It's it's not doing the same thing, but it's similar. And what that says is our bodies are are these vessels of They're open. They're open to so many suggestions from things that that that freak us out, that that give us comfort, that that cause us to retreat to ourselves and allow things like we're experiencing today to overwhelm the landscape and the dialogue. It doesn't happen to everybody, thankfully, but for those that it does, it's almost like they're they're as ambulic state. It's just easier for them to go, well, I'm not responsible for all this nonsense. Well great, but it's not a great attitude to have, and historically it never has been. So music and art are. They're not benign. They're there to help, they're there, they're there to guide. I don't mean just the people that write it. I mean we luck out on a lot of things that we do. But you mentioned it before too abuzz, which is it enables and enacts the spirit of community. I think that's what great art does. And even if that spirited community is it is not a wholesale large swath of people. It's people in general that that are able to think, that that are that are attuned to the fact that there's things that when when they read, when they when they listen, when they communicate with people. Who do you surround yourself with, for example, who friends do you have, Who's feeding that fire that you have in yourself? Those things are all just critical to to what it is to be a human being. And the more we we understand and absorb absorb those lessons, I think in the long run it's still going to be complicated, because human beings are complicated, but I think we'll have more more and more reason to to agree on things and to disagree.
Speaker 3: So how far along are you on the book? I know you're pretty far along.
Speaker 2: I'm about a word wise, I'm about one hundred and fifteen thousand words into it.
Speaker 4: Okay, you're pretty far along.
Speaker 2: Sorry far along. I have a great editor. The people who don't have released this book are called Llo Rigalo Press, Gratchen Young is a part of that system. She helped write a book by interviewing Senator John Lewis some years back. She's her help added a book with a fellow that wrote a book on Tiger Woods. I mean, she's got sports books, she's put She's a heavyweight, great, great person. I absolutely adore her and her husband. John Baxter is my editor, along with a guy named Gary Bays, who I've had for the last twenty years. Look over my stuff. I just just what I said, you know, who do you surround yourself with for this book? I've surrounded myself with some people that are Little Feet fans and that know the English language, and they also have inspired and got me to just relax into writing and and doing what I do. They're not there as ghost writers. I'm a pretty good writer on my own, but they helped shape things like when I wrote something about Lowell. Lowell's birthday was I think it was August excuse me, April thirteenth. I'd said, oh, Lowell's going to be eighty. And John Baxter, who's written several books on Walt Disney, by the way, he said, now Lowell would be would have been eighty. Oh, yes, right, you know that that kind of thing I didn't grow up was a songwriter. I mean, I thought Lowell was very accomplished, and I've taken care too in this book. Also not to detegrate Lowell George. His demise and death is not unlike Janis job and Jimmy Hendrix, Brian Jones, Jim Morrison, I mean, greor Garcia a lot of them. That doesn't define who he is. It defines how he passed. So I want to write about the person that was complicated, that could irritate the hell out of you, that was two steps forward, one step back, but was also even if he was only producing one or two songs, they were brilliant. I also addressed the fact that when Paul and I were Paul Breyn and I were accused of taking over the band back in the day. I said, look, if we took over his little feet by the way of Lowell's muse, why are there a few Lowell George songs on his solo record that took five years to make, And people go, oh, I don't know. I go oh, I don't either. He evidently wasn't writing, That's what I would say, So he got his own way but it's not a crime to be vulnerable, and he wasn't. I think that's that's what made Hina, That's what added to his humanness and his humanity was that vulnerability, because like a lot of people in that shape, he was trying to break through that and come out on the other side and get back to some form where he could feel comfortable in his own skin. Which is why I wrote back to that kid today to say, hey, I'm glad our music's helped you and just you know, keep it going here.
Speaker 4: So I do want to I want to.
Speaker 3: I want to close with asking about something I saw the great Jerry Douglas.
Speaker 4: Post something beautiful.
Speaker 3: About the fact that the Great Little Feet Band deserves to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. And he wrote this eloquent from a musician's heart speech. And I know your feelings on Jerry and how you've collaborated with him and what you think of him, and obviously I see what he thinks of you and the band, but I guess I really wanted to get your take on how that made you feel when you saw him lay this out publicly saying, hey, come on, you know this band deserves that recognition.
Speaker 4: Let's just do it.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you it's truth. This is the first I've heard of it, and I'm thrilled to you that he weighed in. For years, I thought, well, I don't care if we're in there or not. But then a few years ago I kind of flipped my stance on it. I thought, you know, I think we should be in it, and for all the right reasons too, because of our legacy, because of Lowell, because of Sean Murphy, because of Gregg Fuller, Paul breverchie Hayward, because of the fact that we're influenced by who we grew up listening to, which is this great catalog of music starting with Little Richard. Do you want to listen to chety fruity by Little Richard or by Pat Boone? I mean, Little Richard won my heart, That's all I can say. And I have nothing against Pat bone I'm madam. He's a decent, decent man and great just room for everybody. I'm not knocking to anybody either that's already in the Hall of Fame. I mean, that's that's an easy target for a lot of people that to get riled up about. Look, rock and roll is a very wide term. The terminology is wide. It encompasses so much and it should. I mean, it's it's R and B. It's it's the breakdown of things. And so what do you want to attach to this huge whale of swimming through the ocean with barnacle and planktonight attached to it. That's that's rotten. It's moving. It may move slow at times, but it never slows down. It doesn't. It's not going to disappear overnight. It's it's an attitude. It's little feet. Is the reason we can call it little feet in twenty twenty five is because of the the attachment of the legacy is is still there. When you hear that first track four days a half and three days of work, if you know the band at all, you're gonna go, my gosh, that sounds like little feet, And how is that possible? If you know? Well, I found that out when I went to hear well was actually I wound up here in Jimmy page. I'll cut to the chase, but I was there to hear those of the yardbirds were playing Jeff Pack Chrismal Beach, Rose Gardens. Jeff wasn't there, and we're Jeff come on, and then we start hearing this other fellow play and it was Jimmy Page. We go we didn't forget about Jeff back, but we went, well, this guy's really good too. That was the impetus I had, and to put Little Feet back together in nineteen eighty eight was just that that experience with the Artbirds. You're not gonna you're gonna miss Lowell. Some people are gonna put up a wall and say without Lulls, not Little Feet. That's their prerogative. I think it's a narrow view. I think that we're inviting more people to come in and find out who Lowell George is because he's not always on the radar, especially with new generations. So by keeping Little Feet alive, by keeping a band alive that would take ten bands to play and to play the music that we play, it's a selfish reason. I do it because I love the band. I love being able to write without thinking of what I mean. I just want musicians that can play it, sing it, and provide their own material to expand on on the legacy. But that legacy is always going to point to Lowell George, to Richie Hayward, to Paul Preyer, to Sam Clayton, Kenny Fred Tacking myself and on and on. It's it's bigger than any of us at this point. I think it's a wonderful thing.
Speaker 4: And I think the fact of still out playing.
Speaker 3: You're going to be hitting the road for another long run as you always do, and creating. In terms of the new project, I think, for whatever it means for me, I believe that carries even a greater positive aspect of why you guys should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. You're you're still vibrant and kicking some ass, so thank you.
Speaker 2: I think it'll happen, and for all the right reasons.
Speaker 4: Well, you got Jerry Douglass on your side. It can't hurt either, right.
Speaker 2: Can't love it then on her side too, these h We got a lot of people, and I think that's great, and we're we're going to continue doing what we do and expanding on on the notion of of of who we bring into play with. I think that's part and parcel for me over the next few years, or what do we have left to do this of who we extend the the the invite of joining us in this this journey that we are collectively on, not just that Little Feet is on, but as musicians what we do, celebrate what we do. Let's let's take our art seriously, as I've said earlier, but let's have fun in the process.
Speaker 4: You played any golf?
Speaker 2: I played yesterday and they had arad the greens and I by my wife and Polly were there. I'm my gosh, maybe I shouldn't play for another three and a half weeks. I'm really hitting the ball well, which I adore. Little Feet.
Speaker 4: I adore you, Bill Payne. It's great to be with you.
Speaker 3: I take it a walk and congrats on the new release and enjoy the tour as night.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, man, You're a treasure. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to this episode of the Taking a Walk podcast. Share this and other episodes with your friends and follow us so you never miss an episode. Taking a Walk is available on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, and wherever you get your podcasts.