Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final Hour on this Wednesday, Dan and the Dan Nets Dan Patrick Show. I think we've covered a lot of ground today. Talked a lot about what the Giants are doing, maybe the Steelers are doing, the Browns are doing. And we got a month. Where is it three weeks until the draft?
Speaker 3: Todd is all right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, four weeks, four.
Speaker 3: Weeks, four weeks from today.
Speaker 4: We'll draft is four from tomorrow. Our first show is four weeks from today.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll be in Green Bay, will be just outside of Lambeau. We'll let you know where we're going to be. We will have a studio audience. We'll give you all the details on that. We're still finalizing our trip to Iowa, letting everybody know in Iowa how to plan your summer vacation accordingly, you don't want to be leaving the state when we arrive. But that'll be probably in June. So we got a few things that we're doing on the road. We'll let you know about all of those great things. Eight seven seven three DP Show email address, DPA Dan Patrick Twitter handle at DP show.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on peac ick, Thank you for downloading the AMP and also our radio affiliates around the country. Here's something alarming, and maybe it's not alarming anymore. The Chicago White Sox now have six pitchers who will require Tommy John surgery from just the past month. Once again, six pitchers in spring training now need Tommy John surgery. In twenty twenty four, there were more Tommy John surgeries than the first twenty five years after Tommy John had this surgery. Show Hey o Tani coming back to pitch he had a second Tommy John surgery. Of the one hundred and one pitchers that have had two Tommy John surgeries, twenty five pitchers never pitched again. The average career after the second Tommy John surgery three seasons. There is a new Tommy John surgery, a procedure, and it allows pitchers to come back sooner, maybe pitch longer, but that remains to be seen. Showhey Jacob de Gram, Spencer Streder, others coming back to pitch after having the new Tommy John procedure. At some point, I don't know what baseball can do to kind of protect itself from itself that you have these pitchers who just throw as hard as they can for as long as they can, and then you go in for surgery. And I've told this story before, but it's worth repeating. I was going to a physical therapist and was working on my shoulder after shoulder surgery. And he deals with a lot of big time amateur athletes, and he said he had a twelve year old. Parents from of a twelve year old saying we would like for him to get Tommy John surgery. And the physical therapist said, well, what's wrong, nothing, We want to get the Tommy John surgery now, So you're having elective Tommy John surgery. And he says it's crazy, but it's the new norm now that it's not a big deal. But that's an alarming number of Tommy John surgery's for one team in spring training. But if the model is throw as hard as you can for as long as you can, and then you know, you go in and have your engine rebuilt, and then you come back and then you try to do it again. The body's not meant to throw one hundred and five miles an hour. It's just your arm is not meant to do that. Nolan Ryan's greatest power pitcher I ever saw, and I don't know how fast he was throwing, but he was built to throw hard. And a lot of it's lower body. You know, a lot of these pictures lower body. The strength comes from that lower body, being able to get torque, your arm, angle, all of those things. Some guys just have it like they're magically given to them.
Speaker 3: Others can develop.
Speaker 2: But sometimes you'll see with performance enhancing drugs, guys can come back. Guys are going to throw harder. You'll see a guy who jumps from let's say ninety three to ninety seven, and that's a big jump. That's like when you watch somebody run one hundred meter dash and you're like, man, they improved by a half a second. It doesn't happen. I mean, Ben Johnson doesn't happen unless he's got performance enhancing drugs. And that's what I worry about, is you want to see I mean, pitching is part of the game, and it was a huge part of the game. I know baseball has changed, but I just wonder how long does it go and what could you even do? What are there any precautions that you can take? But if baseball is just kind of eat and it's young, here, hey go in there and throw hard, and so what, man, We'll get another guy who can throw hard. The number of guys who can throw one hundred miles on Earth used to be like that guy tops out at a hundred. Now it's a requirement. You got to throw a hundred unless you have some you know, different pitch, great pitch. I mean watching you know Sisaki the Dodgers his first three pitches to start a game, hundi, hundi, hundi. Usually you build up to that. How long can you do it? And then what happens after that? The torque that you have. I mean, I I just hate seeing the number of players have that surgery. But if they're not afraid of it, and they almost expect it, and I shouldn't be worried about it either, Yampulling.
Speaker 5: If this were a player's safety issue like head injuries, the league would step in and address it like the if this or the NFL, they would address this and not let their star players are pretty famous. It's a great point to be out for a season. But baseball. I made a joking suggestion a couple of years ago saying that if you throw over one hundred miles an hour, it's a ball, it's no longer a strike. And that was kind of a joke, but he would end the problem.
Speaker 2: But you know, curveball used to mess you up. I remember we weren't allowed to throw a curveball until we got to a certain age because they didn't want to do that to your elbow. And I remember that you could throw fastballs, that's it. And then you got to be like twelve and they go, all right, you can snap off a curveball. You're like, okay, I mean even then, that's too young. Yeah, Pauling, So based.
Speaker 5: Off what you're saying, baseball can't do anything because it's starting when they're fifteen sixteen to get recruited or get drafted younger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a twelve year old whose parents said, let's get surgery now, like let's strengthen it now. And the physical therapist I go to he goes, he's twelve. You're not even developed yet, Yeston.
Speaker 6: But this is like this system that we have here right at twelve years old, that kids are already thinking about I have to get into the right high school so I could try to get into the right college, so I could get into maybe keep advancing things, and if you don't follow the lanes that are set up by the system, you're going to have a very difficult time breaking through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's getting with the right team, a travel team, and being seen an AAU and all of these you know, traveling squads, and then you get recruited and then you begin the process. It's just it's a lot of wear and tear. But baseball is welcoming the wear and tear.
Speaker 6: Yeah, right, If you don't play in the right league, high school or college won't even look at you. If you don't go to the right high school or college won't even look at you. If you're not doing all of these different things, they don't even they're not even wasting their time. They're not even going to look.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, I'm looking at this recruiting site that's giving tips to high school pitchers on how to get recruited, and it said, it's your spin rate isn't acceptable for the college recruiters or the pro recruiters. They will not even look at you. It's it's it's spin rate as much or more so than velocity.
Speaker 2: A couple other headlines we did talk about Russell Wilson, what's this mean for Shudor Sanders with the Browns take him at number two. Stefan Diggs quietly goes to the Patriots. Dame Lillard is out with a blood clot. Now this isn't basketball, this is life. This is serious here, or could be very serious. And I wonder if we see Dame and Yannis play again. I'll go back to twenty twenty twenty twenty one. Yannis won a title finals MVP two previous seasons, won a league MVP, next three seasons, finish in the top five for MVP each year. He'll be top five again this year and he's averaging thirty twelve and six. When's the last time somebody brought up Yannis playing basketball and talked about the overall picture of the overall landscape of greatest players in the game.
Speaker 3: His name doesn't come up the way it used to.
Speaker 2: Now he won the title, but then you get a few first round exits, a second round exit this year even worse. Dame Lillard's been on the team for the last couple of years now with a blood clot, And then you start to wonder, if you're Milwaukee, what are you going to do?
Speaker 3: What's your future here?
Speaker 2: And we thought, well, you put Dame Jannis pick and roll unstoppable. Nothing happened, and now it can Dame play again? Does the honest want to stay in Milwaukee? And I don't know how many? How many years does Giannis have left?
Speaker 5: Faulling Gianis has three years left on his sixteen contract. Fifty four million, fifty eight million, sixty three million.
Speaker 6: Okay, don't write us off, dam We're gonna be okay, We're gonna be.
Speaker 2: All right, Thank you, Doc Rivers Pole. Question for the final hour of the program is going to be what Seaton.
Speaker 6: Let me update you here a little bit on what we've already been working with. Jameis Winston is apparently the world's greatest pregame speech guy. He's still got ninety percent. I don't know that we've ever had a ninety ten this for three straight hours. That's wild. Can you you can put one into play. It's a hard salary cap and baseball or return to the old transfer system in college. Right now, a hard salary cap and baseball has fifty seven percent of the vote.
Speaker 2: Hey, yeah, I don't know if we're going to get any of it, but still, you know, it's it's nice to think that maybe there are going to be some kind of modifications here. I just it never should have gotten to this, and that's that's what bums me out more than anything with the transfer portal and Nil.
Speaker 3: It didn't have to it to this point.
Speaker 2: I just think that you had grown ups who underestimated the resolve of players and that they were eventually going to get around to this. Because we've had schools who say, you know what, we're going to unionize and then all of a sudden they don't remember Maurice Clarett was going to take on the NFL that he wanted to leave Ohio State early and then he kind of disappears. I mean, you got to be ready for the long haul. You got to be ready for a fight. I mean, this goes back to Ed O'Bannon with the video game and Sonny Vaccero, you know, the shoe sneaker guru came in to help with this, to push it through the legal system to allow players to actually be people.
Speaker 3: And that's but it's a long haul.
Speaker 2: And you had to have somebody willing to do that, and Ed O'Bannon was willing to do that with his family, his wife and they were going to try to correct this for all athletes, or at least of major sports, and that's how we got to this point. I just don't think that college sports was prepared for them. Whether I know they're not prepared for this, But now, what are you preparing for now?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: This is like when you have the concussion lawsuit? Okay, now what are you preparing for?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: What happens next? That's what college athletics needs to understand. Now what are you doing? Or maybe it's just college football. This is what you need to think about college basketball. This is what you need. College football, you should secede. You should just take over your own sport, have X number of schools, and if you do have a relegation, great, the money's going to be there. There'll be even more money for you. And then with college basketball, you want to expand a ninety six, expand a ninety six. I don't know what that solves. You're going to make more money? Is that the most important thing? So that's where I think these sports you need to individualize and say what makes sense for us next five years, next ten years, because we may be in this position five seven years down the road where we go they didn't learn anything. They did not learn anything, repeating their mistakes. Donovan in Iowa leads us off, Hey Donovan, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 7: Hey Dan? Sixty two one fifty rough?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What do you got?
Speaker 7: Hey Dan? Except for Paul or Seat and what he said about the working class ditch diggers being jealous of nil because they get paid at such young age, it's so completely false. We don't hate nil. We actually love it. Give these kids a lot more money, get him playing. We love it because they they love to how fuck.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no, no Donald, no no no.
Speaker 3: You were close.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: What I'm saying is not a slight on working class people. I'm very much a working class person myself. But I do think that a lot of especially from the say sports media people covering the athletes, might be upset that the eighteen nineteen year olds are making more money than they already did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're they're it's the tail wagging the dog. Yeah, And I understand what you're saying. I don't think somebody who is, you know, a manual labor is going I don't like college basketball because these kids are making more money than I'll make in my lifetime that definitely exists, though could I don't agree with it, but I think it's more of it's just a you're ruining my sport. Why are we doing this? Why do we need this? Like you're ruining my NBA because we allow three point shots? Okay, get over it. You're ruining my sport because I don't know where these kids are going to go. Okay, get over it. All baseball's got a pitchclock. All they do is hit home run? All right, Now, what are you going to do? Get over it?
Speaker 3: Like that's really the point.
Speaker 2: And if you keep holding on to what yesteryear was all about, you're gonna be disappointed for a long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: See, I think that too. If you're somebody in the media who covers say college basketball, and the media landscape is shifting like crazy. Nobody knows where they're getting their next paycheck. But you're covering a sport where there's money flowing all over the place. It's swirling around your head and you get into the press box and you're like, what's with this crappy food? And I can't figure out why my posts aren't generating any money, But I got to cover this eighteen year old kid that just needs six million dollars and the network that just did a six billion dollar deal for this, but I can't figure out my money. I get why the coverage is a little skewed negative.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, Jeff Goodman has been covering basketball college basketball a long time, worked at the Mother Shift for a long time. But you know when he talks about that this is basically apocalyptic. Okay, but he shouldn't be blaming the kids. He should blame the other people who put this system in place or allowed it to be put in place. So we do have anarch. You, I mean, you can be moaning all the you don't have to cover it anymore. I mean, cover another sport. Nobody's making you cover this. Uh, Pete in Iowa, Hi Pete, what's on your mind?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 9: I'm an old third time caller and I just have a poll question. It might be a little late today, but I was wondering what's now and more important. You don't even talk about high school recruiting basketball anymore. It's all about the transfer portal. So I wonder if you could make a poll question, what's more important between recruiting or the transfer portal?
Speaker 2: Oh? I think it's transfer portal. I'll gladly let you have a freshman. I'll gladly let you have the top freshman, because you know what, I might get a missus sophomore.
Speaker 3: That would be my recruiting approach.
Speaker 2: I'd have a couple of freshmen, but I would have my sight set on somebody who has already proven, because there are guys that the sport is littered with, guys like this guy can't miss. This guy's going to be unbelievable. And then you go, where's Mony Bates? You know he couldn't miss. I think he was the was he the high school.
Speaker 3: Player of the year in Michigan as a freshman sophomore sophomore relaxed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't miss, And then all of a sudden they miss. I want to know, can you do it? Did you already do it? And I'll gladly take you, you know I will. All right, let me take a break. More phone calls coming up. The NFL is doing some tweaking to the kickoff again. We'll have that for you coming up right after this, and leftovers from in and Out. We didn't get all of the in and out burger questions. Yes, I could go for an in and out burger over one thing I've never said. I thought that's never crossed mine.
Speaker 3: What is the other burger?
Speaker 8: What a burger?
Speaker 3: Fat burger?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, no in la car all right, fatburger for sure? Yeah yeah, all right, Well take a break. See I should have known this. I should have known this. Take a break back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 10: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 11: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 10: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 11: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 10: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 11: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something right, So check us out.
Speaker 10: We like to get you involved, to take your phone calls, chop it up as they say.
Speaker 11: I'd say, the more interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 3: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 10: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search kob no on Rich wherever you get your podcast, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Alex Ovechkin at eight hundred and eighty nine goals six away from the record. Does he hang around for a thousand? I guess if you get to nine hundred, I don't know. Is he slowing down? Plus he got injured earlier this year. I don't know how many games he missed, but he is still a beast out there. I'm surprised when he doesn't score, and it's really hard to score goals on a consistent basis, But I'm like, uh, oh, he didn't score last night. He's at eight hundred and eighty nine, six from the record. Now the NFL does what the NFL does, best. It likes to weak things. The NFL's Competition Committee likely to propose a change to the league's kickoff rules that could raise return rates for the upcoming season, a source told ESPN. The proposal, expected to be submitted in time for next week's league meetings in Palm Beach, Florida, would spot the touchbacks at the thirty five yard line rather than the thirty as it was during the twenty twenty four season, and so they revamped the kickoff format. Then the shift and field position could prompt some coaches to instruct their kickers more often to place the ball in the landing zone between the twenty yard line and the goal line rather than the end zone for a touchback. It could work in reverse, with more coaches instructing their returners to take the touchbacks when they catch the ball on the end zone rather than running out. Okay, at least twenty four owners have to vote to renew this for the twenty twenty five season, and the format produced a return rate of just under thirty three percent, So that's a really big rise from the previous year where it was around twenty two percent.
Speaker 3: So they're going to move on.
Speaker 2: Up to like the NFL has to decide do you want kickoffs. I know you want safe kickoffs, but I don't know if you can have both. Hey, we want to have kickoffs, but we don't want anybody to get hurt. Well, it's like the punt. There are a lot of guys who get hurt on punt returns, but they can't do anything about it. They can't say unless they go, Hey, when you kick, you can't run down the field until the kick is kicked, until you punt the ball. But you know, even then with the kickoff, you're at least what ten or so yards or fifteen yards away from the opposition where you're not getting a real head start. I don't know how you do it with a punt, but there are a lot of injuries on punt returns and nobody's changing. But with the format with the kickoff, it's we kind of want to encourage more kickoffs. We just don't want anybody to get hurt. But that's uh, that's being proposed right now, being proposed. They still have to vote on that. Jay in Michigan, Hi, Jay, what's on your mind?
Speaker 8: Dan?
Speaker 3: How's it going? Dennett's long time?
Speaker 8: First time?
Speaker 12: I just wanted to call and wish my mom a happy birthday on Friday and myself today, and uh, get your take on where you see the Oakland A's in this year.
Speaker 2: Happy birthday Jay to you and your mom. Hopefully you reach out to your mom on your own time. And as far as the Oakland A's, I.
Speaker 4: Don't have no idea.
Speaker 8: I don't.
Speaker 2: I'm going to wait a little while just to see. You know, are they the Sacramento A's. Are they the Oakland A's of Sacramento? Is it like the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Uh, I don't know. They always seem to have one or two guys where you go. He's gonna look really good in another uniform. But that's about it. Yes, Todd, my.
Speaker 13: Half birthday's apple tenth. If you let me have a moment, that's one that wish myself in advance of happy half birthday.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you?
Speaker 5: Yes, Paul, I'm on the a's website and the word Oakland has been scrubbed completely, just A's or athletics. The word Vegas is in there a few times, but you don't see Oakland.
Speaker 3: Anywhere near it. Matt in Los Angeles, good morning, Matt, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 12: Good morning, gentlemen. I have a part of the space bet on the eve of the MLB season, and I'm seeing it the juice for the Boston Red Sox to win the Al East.
Speaker 2: Okay, I like what Boston did in the off season. Does anybody? I mean, it's gonna be really competitive. Anybody want a piece of the Red Sox winning the East?
Speaker 3: Marvin, you look like you're poised and ready to say you'll take that bet.
Speaker 14: Is David Ortiz and Madi Ramirez playing for them?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: All right, little saucy there, so I'm guessing you're taking Matt up on the bet. Okay, all right, Matt, you got a bet. Marvin is gonna take a.
Speaker 3: Piece of that.
Speaker 12: All right, let's go.
Speaker 2: I like the Red Sox did a good job in the off season. The problem is they were only five hundred last year. But I don't think the Yankees are going to be great this year. Tampa Bay is always competitive, you imagine. I hope they move them to just a place that you can build a stadium, so it's not like it feels like year to year and we're like, what are the Rays gonna do? Where are they going to play? And they've been a pretty good organization through all of this. Yes, marm it just feels like the Dodgers and everybody else. Yes, Yes, if I gave you the Dodgers of the field, Todd, you get the Dodgers of the field.
Speaker 3: I think I'm gonna go with the Dodgers, all right. I'm believing all right, Oh you believe in them?
Speaker 13: Go back to bet.
Speaker 2: That's a bold statement right there, Todd Seaton, What about you Dodgers of the field?
Speaker 4: Field?
Speaker 5: All right, Marvin Dodgers, Paul Dodgers. First time ever I would say.
Speaker 3: That, I'm gonna say field. You know, it's always tricky.
Speaker 2: It's not how good you are, you know, one hundred and sixty two games, it's how good you are, and you know those best four out of seven. Now they're going to have a ton of pitching, a ton of pitching. Maybe not, you know, in the Mookie Bets situation is really scary. I don't know how much information they have on that other than he's lost like twenty twenty five pounds and he didn't have twenty twenty five pounds to lose.
Speaker 3: But do you see anything?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've begun a very unofficial tracker. By the way, of all these random predictions that we keep throwing out, I have these like post it notes. Yeah, and I've begunick, Like I just put eleven thirty three, twenty six Dodgers of the Field, eleven fifty, Bill Belichick getting married, Mason Rudolph, where are we playing? I have all of these little post it sticky notes stuck up on the glass between me and Todd, just on the off chance that at some point we could bring that audio back.
Speaker 3: Okay, I like that.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Yeah, it's very nineteen eighty four ish of me, considering the computer I have sitting.
Speaker 4: In front of me.
Speaker 6: At some point I might transfer this over.
Speaker 4: I might.
Speaker 6: I like the post it notes, Yeah, I kind of do too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Lebron James is going to continue or restart his podcast now. I know he was on with Pat McAfee yesterday. I think it airs today the interview. But do you know who the host is going to be. I don't think it's going to be JJ Reddick.
Speaker 5: We're gonna play guest that host. Yes, Lebron is relaunching the Mind the Game podcast they did with JJ Reddick, which he parlayed into the Laker job.
Speaker 3: It won't be Stephen A. Smith. It will not, I don't think so.
Speaker 5: It will be with a former great NBA player.
Speaker 2: Hello, Well that doesn't really okay, Gilbert or Renus No gills.
Speaker 6: Too big, heels too big at this point.
Speaker 5: This guy's pretty big. But he's between jobs, so this may relaunch his coaching career. Very great player, been on the show a number of times. Very great, very great, two time league MVP.
Speaker 6: Oh Stephen Nash.
Speaker 5: Steve Nash is the answer. Steve Nash with a new co host of Mind the Game podcast with Lebron Right.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know how interesting Steve would be as a host. Why do you say that, like JJ Reddick wanted to stir things up, I don't like Steve went out of his way to not stir things up.
Speaker 6: See right here in the low post. He's really got a flash to the ball, because that's what he really.
Speaker 13: Yes, Todd, they have a good engineer, because he's when he's been on with us, there's been some.
Speaker 3: Bad He never he never had a good phone ever. Ever. I think we offered to buy him one. It's like, damn, you have him on.
Speaker 2: And I think we'd always get him after a morning shoot around and the PR person with the Phoenix Suns would just hand her phone to him, and it was always a bad reception always.
Speaker 3: But all right, so Steve Nash, Yes, Marv, what the.
Speaker 14: Thing about that podcast when JJ and Lebron were on? It's not really about entertaining you, like lol, let's let let's have a good laugh. It's real, like in depth. It's called Mind the Game podcast, and they go through all these offensive schemes of different teams and different players and how they like to do things. So I think it might be perfect for a guy like that where he can, you know, kind of decipher different offices stuff like that. So it's not for like, lol audiences, it's not for entertainment purposes.
Speaker 2: Well, I wonder why he hasn't done this or been an analyst. Has he been asked to be an analyst?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 6: See, I don't know, like right, if you're looking at the traditional analyst role, he's probably not right. But if you look at the the Kobe show that he started, it's and it's just him like like like Marvin was saying, like hardcore nerding out on basketball, rewinding the play, going back and forward, back and forth. See this deputake, See this deput takes right here. This is why it's so good. You know, you really have to be a super hardcore fan to enjoy that kind of analysis. I don't know that sitting at the desk with Ernie, you know, maybe that doesn't play with strengths because of his personality being a little more low key.
Speaker 2: But I could see where Kobe was maniacal at figuring things out, maniacal. I don't know if Steve was ever that way.
Speaker 6: Peyton Manning did the same thing.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, like you're maniacal.
Speaker 2: And you know, when you have a podcast called Details, I mean it is detailed.
Speaker 3: But I okay, good.
Speaker 2: You know Lebron has got a new podcast to ust time to play. Well, we have leftovers of in or around, and we have a bonus fill in the blank as well.
Speaker 3: We have so many things going.
Speaker 2: On, and I've got you know, let's do another hour one of these days, we're just gonna do another hour. We're gonna blow through the stomp sign. We're gonna do another hour.
Speaker 3: Here we go. Wait, I was waiting for the Yeah, let's do it. Why don't you give back to the audience for a change.
Speaker 4: I think we should do a twenty five hour marathon.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, Paul.
Speaker 5: Two in or outs. We did this two weeks ago. Aaron Rodgers will be a stealer by Monday.
Speaker 2: By Monday, Todd out, see Marvin Out. I'm gonna say in just for giggles, all right.
Speaker 5: The NFL is making the kickoff return way better.
Speaker 3: It's the return of the return, yes, Todd Out, see Marvin Out.
Speaker 2: I'll say in is yeah, yeah, bonus fill in the blank Okay.
Speaker 5: Steve Nash is doing the podcast with Lebron because of blank.
Speaker 4: Side, because of Lebron. Well, Lebron James asked to do something to do.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't think that was the answer Paul he was looking for, but he's going to accept that.
Speaker 3: Satan.
Speaker 6: Well, if it's not Lebron, I'll say boredom.
Speaker 4: Okay, Marvin Amazon money.
Speaker 2: I don't know why he's doing it because I don't think he gets another opportunity to coach.
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: That's the reason I thought no, because he's already done it didn't go well, JJ hadn't done it, and I think by all accounts, he's done a pretty good job this year. But I don't know if Steve gets another chance. Yeah, Paul, did it feel.
Speaker 5: When Reddick took the job that the clause were out for him to fail big time, more than any big time without, more than any coaching hire in the past decade. People were out to watch him fail. Yeah, it felt that way.
Speaker 2: Well, because he went to Duke and his whole attitude and when he was on First Take and podcast and never coached before. Smartest guy in the room. But he's done a really good job. Yes, he's navigated injuries here the trade with Luca incorporating him. You have the Browni factor. Did you see where Bronnie had like thirty nine in a G League game the other night.
Speaker 4: I know what the fifty fifth pick does.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm glad.
Speaker 2: I'm happy for him. Let him have a little success here. Yeah, yeah, I mean that's just what you do.
Speaker 6: He's I guess he's somewhere in between a G League player and an NBA player. Yeah, he's on the high end of G League and the low end of NBA.
Speaker 5: Yes, Paul, would you rather average thirty in the G League or two in the NBA.
Speaker 2: If they gave me the accommodations in the NBA. I would be fine with thirty nine in the G League, but I don't get that, so I guess I'll take our average two. He's not even averaging two in the NBA, I don't think. But yeah, i'd be the last guy on the bed in the NBA. Sure, I would put on a show during warm ups. Man, I would be in a full sweat after warm ups. I'd look like I had played the game. I remember there were times I didn't even take off my warm ups.
Speaker 4: It was like.
Speaker 3: I don't even need a shower.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Kind of sad, Okay, but I'm over it.
Speaker 4: I am.
Speaker 3: I'm over.
Speaker 4: I'm glad. You don't hold grudges or anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, damn if they only had the transfer portal and they had the three point shot back when I was playing, Take a break. Last call for phone Calls? What we learned, What's in store tomorrow? This day in sports History?
Speaker 1: After this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Flock Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Last Call for phone Calls? What we learn?
Speaker 2: What's in store tomorrow? This day in sports History? Greg Sankey, SEC Commissioner will be on the program tomorrow. Wally Zurbia, part of March Madness coverage on CBS, will stop by as well. Final results of the poll question Seaton.
Speaker 6: Yeah, who is the best pregame speecher on the Giants right now? Between Russell Wilson and Jamis Winston. Jamis Winston holding steady at ninety percent. That's good for him, big Win. And you can put one into place, a hard salary cap in baseball or a return to the old transfer system in college football. Right now, fifty six percent of the audience would rather have a hard salary cap in baseball.
Speaker 3: Chris and San Diego, Hi, Chris, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 15: Hey?
Speaker 8: Dan? Dan Edge five eleven two two. Hey, I have a son. He was the youngest of three brothers and a daughter and five kids all together, and we didn't have the resources to put him through travel ball and all that, especially in southern California, but we developed him. I say, we need the brothers too. As a catcher, you know, he had to add the accuracy to get back to the pitcher each pitch. Every pitch he was developed in, he called the game. And as he got bigger and stronger, he wanted to pitch. He had the four pitches through high school. They had a very successful high school league and as he developed, he went to junior college. One year, his catcher in high school was drafted right at ICEOL. We went to spring training. We had to extended spring rookie ball to watch his catcher play, and he knew he fit in. So he pitched one year in Southwestern College DUCO down in San Diego. And when the scout after he was drafted called on Friday, drafted Saturday, signed on Sunday at the house and I asked the scout, but what did he see and he said, he has a size, he has a mechanic. He was drafted by the Nationals, and as a dad, I thought, okay, everything's there, and they said we will help him develop. One thing I can offer to parents as a parent of a kid who was drafted and played professional baseball for five years, his mechanics and locations. Forget the curve ball, twelve year old, eleven year old, ten year old, forget all that locate the pitch work on your mechanics. They will tell you to high school and JUCO and if you do happen to be fortunate enough for one percent er to get drafted.
Speaker 2: All right, well, thank you, Chris. Got to get to the story a little bit quicker. Okay, you had good intentions, but got to get to this story. Yes, Toney, you might have just.
Speaker 13: Had Mechanics and location are important. If you have a young pitcher, that is true, then you're out.
Speaker 2: And that's coming from you. Who can't you know that cut it in half and then cut it in half.
Speaker 4: That was even Wait till then for me?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, should have had the clock on him. He yes, we should have a pitch clock on it. I would have been Yes. If your kid's a pitcher and he throws hard, then you have to brace yourself for Tommy John surgery.
Speaker 3: That's a reality this day in sports history, Paul.
Speaker 5: This is one of my favorites. Nineteen thirty one, Boston Bruins coach Art Ross became the first NHL coach to pull his goalie for an extra attacker in the Stanley Cup semifinals. Can you imagine the reaction to the other team. The goalie is just skating off the ice, another guy's flying on and it's inside the rules, and then let's go twenty fourteen, the National Labor Relations Board rule that college football players at Northwestern could unionize.
Speaker 3: They did not nineteen seventy three.
Speaker 2: It might be the best performance I ever saw, considering it was in the championship game. Bill Walton scored forty four. UCLA beat Memphis, and Bill, I think it was twenty one to twenty two from the floor. I think he actually missed three free throws. He missed more free throws than he did field goals. And I think the one missy the he had was an offense of goaltending. Magic Johnson beat Larry Bird on this day, the highest rated college basketball game in history.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: Gilbert Arenas, friend of the Show, sentenced to thirty days halfway House, two years probation, five thousand dollars fine, four hundred hours of community service. He brought guns into the Wizard's locker room. Yeah, yeah, who is it? Critendon?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, yes, Tom.
Speaker 13: If they were still called the Bullets at the time with.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna give you a bloop on that one. Now they used to be the Baltimore Bullets, Yes, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 4: Sorry.
Speaker 14: Going back to Magic and Bird, are they the two most important figures in the history of the NBA.
Speaker 3: You're gonna drop that on me with three minutes ago? What are you doing?
Speaker 4: We're doing another hour?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, you and me, we're gonna be in the crates. The kids like to say, yeah, you know what they did when they did it? Where the NBA was before that. Yeah, it's pretty big stuff there. That's why I think they should always be ranked. It should be Magic Bird Bird and Magic on the all time list, you know, top ten, Those two should occupy one of the slots there.
Speaker 3: Anything to watch tonight?
Speaker 5: We have some really bad basketball, Dan, I know you love that. Wizards sixers tonight.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 5: Now there's good stuff. Lakers, Pacers, Bucks, Nuggets, Celtic Suns. That's decent, but you should be watching Wizards sixers.
Speaker 2: I'm watching Lakers Pacers because now it's starting to get interesting here. And remember when I said about the Lakers. The difference in the Lakers was they were playing defense. If they play defense, they can go to the Western Conference championship game. I really believe that the Western Conference finals. I really believe that they play defense. But when you don't play defense, you don't score enough to outscore people like some of these other teams do. That is still my big concern. Let me see Colin in Arkansas. Hi, Colin, what's on your mind?
Speaker 15: Ind B, I know I'm a little late here with the whole basketball football school narrative, but I wanted to trim in a as a lifelong razorback fan, we are indeed a basketball school, and I'm fine with that. It's got a rich history from Eddie Sutton to Nolan Richardson Muscleman and now with Cal that's a few hall of famers right there. Paul's polling question on rather winning a title in basketball or SEC conference title is the wrong question. I would say I take basketball all day there, But if it was between a football title and a basketball title, I'd probably lean football.
Speaker 2: Oh of course, you would. Just about everybody would, Football's king. Let's go around the room. Did we learn anything today, Tom?
Speaker 4: I think we did.
Speaker 13: Ernie Johnson thinks if he and the inside the NBA crew were comfy in street clothes on the air one night, Anthony Davis might not take it as an homage to him.
Speaker 6: Seaton, what did you learn today, Ernie Johnson, big hoodie guy. Yes, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 4: Ernie Johnson not afraid of shack.
Speaker 5: Oh, we're tweaking the kickoff.
Speaker 3: Todd Wood I learn if he plays anywhere near expectations.
Speaker 13: You believe Cooper Flag can make close to a billion dollars in his pro career.
Speaker 2: You just look at what you're going to get with your You know, he'll have the rookie contract, then you have the second one, then you have the third one. He's eighteen years of age. A billion might be light. Thanks for joining us. Let's do it again tomorrow