Speaker 1: Word with me here you know, bt know how it goes, shout out oct no real color, what we see? Whole game?
Speaker 2: Wait, the Butler book something.
Speaker 1: Oh, you can't stand on their ownsle see I already know you can't with me because with the squad on me, they get a little They called me.
Speaker 2: He love by love he love her.
Speaker 3: Ball of Alert.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the ball Alert Show.
Speaker 1: Podcasts available everywhere you get your podcast. Please continue to like, subscribe, and share our YouTube page at baller Alert Tv. I go by the name of Ferrari Simmits.
Speaker 4: I'll go on to name you know bt C t.
Speaker 1: Of that money log in the building, grab me with it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that for me.
Speaker 3: I love that for you too, cause you've been you have a journey you've been on I have. You know what I'm saying, How are you feeling though? Like I know you been diagnosed and you know you just recently said you had autism, Like.
Speaker 4: How is that? How's how are you doing?
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm still doing me. You gotta keep you pushing, you know. I think one thing that keeps me on the right path is just like knowing that everybody has their own journey and their own unique experience and it's my life and it's my responsibility to make the best of it. Sometimes it does get a little tough because it's like I have so much success based on like the standard right status quo that when I have my moments when I am down, it's hard for people to relate and so they be like girl. So I have to kind of struggle through those moments on my own sometimes. But God don't give you more than you can carry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I've learned a lot through about loopus, through like Tony Braxton and people who have it, like those type of celebrities, and they say it inflame, like if you're if you're worked up or if you're you know, too excited.
Speaker 4: Have you had any flirps do to things like that?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Mostly mine are like in my hands and joints, so sometimes I can't really like open things as you saw. But Yeah, it's funny because it's like it's a cash twenty two because with something like an autoimmune that is stress related, it's best if you don't talk about it. But yet if you don't talk about it, there's no representation, you know, So it's tough. I gotta choose moments when when I'm feeling good, when there is anything happening like right now where I'll share, and sometimes I'm just like, yeah, you know, I don't really want to talk about it right now because I'm kind of going through it. But I think, you know, keeping your stress level of down, stand positive, eating right, getting sleep, and just not putting yourself in scenarios where you could be triggered, that's really the key. Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: You have a lot of support from your family and husband.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean I don't really ask for much, very self sufficient, independent. I like to be by myself. So when I do, they just give it to me. You know, it's like dad, can you make me a gro cheese? You know? So yeah, I'm very I'm very blessed.
Speaker 1: Now, if we could take it back a little bit. You're from Gifford, Florida, which is right by Vero Beach, a little bit south Florida.
Speaker 2: They pushing, they pushing the boundary to border.
Speaker 1: What do you say you from?
Speaker 2: You say you're from, Yeah, it's becoming smaller and smaller.
Speaker 1: I'm a Florida guy And I literally had to look that up. I was like, yeah, Florida from Okay, because I've been to Vio, but I didn't know right on top of Zo.
Speaker 4: It's okay.
Speaker 2: So we like a train track community, you know, like they put the MLK train tracks and the you know, Dollar General in the hood, and then right across the train track is the beach. So there's literally people from where I'm from that have never been to the beach ten minutes down the street because it's not it's a different neighborhood, you know, it's literally like driving driving hood hood hood, section eight housing, you know what I'm saying, and then train track and then boom mansions.
Speaker 1: So how was it like for you growing up on your side on that side of the tracks? Was because I know somebody saying in the.
Speaker 2: Family mom My mom saying yeah, in the navy, my biological father, my stepfather worked for the Sheriff's department for many years, I think twenty plus. He still teaches in the town. Yeah, I I don't know. I was very so I actually grew up all over the United States in my younger years. It wasn't until I was about fourteen that we moved to give For which my mother's hometown where she was raised as Wabasso, was twenty minutes down the street. And I grew up on a farm, and I was very much like if I was hungry, you just go pick an orange off the tree. So I didn't really have an actual concept of like status or like we struggling because we literally lived off the land. But you know, I didn't have no Jordan's or nothing like that. Like we didn't have designer clothes. You know. We definitely was shopped at J. C. Penny, you know, buy one, get one for eighty eight cents jeans. So I don't know, I was very oblivious. It wasn't until I got older that I realized, like, wait a minute, that's not right, you know, I was. I wasn't. My mom did a good job with keeping us, keeping us shielded from that. Yes. I have two brothers, yeah, older one older one younger, and I had a step brother he passed away years ago. Uh so yeah, I'm the only girl.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, So you was out there you know with your milk and cows and stuff too.
Speaker 2: We had no cows, but I did feed the chickens. We used to fish in the pond. We had geese. I had a pet hog.
Speaker 1: Yeah they are pretty smart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they killed them and broasted them. Yeah you do.
Speaker 4: You s.
Speaker 2: No, I don't slaughter chickens when we don't do that. I did have to learn how to gut fish when I was younger, because again, we live off the land, so you wasn't allowed. You have to eat what you kill, so if you kill it, you got to eat it. I do and I don't particularly. Yeah, a long time ago, we used to shoot squirrels. I'm just throw it on the grid.
Speaker 3: But like you said, once you you know, hit your teenage years and stuff like that, you was in like a sheltered space with your parents and at home and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: But then you got on the internet and you.
Speaker 3: Started to do your thing in two thousand and four, right, two thousand and four was my first video.
Speaker 2: Yes, wow did your research?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you said, you were sheltered. So it's like, you know, I don't think many people you did sleepovers or.
Speaker 4: Seminaris something like that.
Speaker 3: You know, people on the internet now have friends like fans who are online, and that's kind of like what you kind of started doing at that time. You know, how did that shape you as far as doing your music in two thousand and four, I think it's kind of.
Speaker 2: Like two separate things. I think one my mom didn't let me do nothing, did lease squat. I remember one time this boy asked me to the movies for Valentine's Day. And we've known him, we've known each other since we were like seven, and he finally was like, yo, can you like can we go to movies? So I told my mom. I got all dressed out on my pink and red. She drove me to the movie theater. The boy came up to the car. He had chocolate to bear, flowers, balloons, whole nine yards like you know, miss Sheila. I was just gonna let her pick the movie, and my mom was like, okay. One second she rode the windor she said, y'all think y'all sleep, you know, and mind you. I'm so like not even I'm so green. I was just excited that she was lett me do something telling me about this lady rode down the window and said, you at the movies. Tell him by and all. I drove off and the boy was standing there like with the flowers, like oh, and I was just one little tear coming down my eye. It's literally for real. And I was so upset and so hurt. But that was my life. She didn't let me do nothing. So I think the computer became my escape right because I could talk to people, I could make videos and respond to comments, and I did develop relationships with some of my supporters I still talk to to this day from years ago. It's one girl named Liquida. She's buying me gifts and stuff. I'll invite her to my shows. You know. It's just like we do create a genuine bonding connection with our fans sometimes, and it's hard to do that now because people be like pushing it a little bit, like tellate what I need to do and talk it to me crazy and you forget. Like somebody said something like I was gonna beat your ass if you didn't. I said, who was gonna be? What?
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, like my favorite song? She said.
Speaker 2: They really they pushing it. They be pushing it. So sometimes I'd be having to like go in, like I went on on, went in on this girl on TikTok the other day. She couldn't take it, though, so I had to erase what I said because I'm like, okay, people are laughing at her a little too much, and you know, I know how that feels, so I'm gonna just take it down and give her a break. But I have to do that sometimes to let people know.
Speaker 5: She's like.
Speaker 2: She was just like, girl, you being you're doing too much. You're a celebrity. People gonna tell you what to do, you know, And I was like, so, I'm not gonna say what I said, but I basically gave her a taste of her own medicine gotch and she couldn't. She couldn't handle it.
Speaker 6: Most fans can.
Speaker 2: A lot of people just Internet people, and they just.
Speaker 5: Calm, you know, and a lot of people probably don't think that you're actually gonna see their comment.
Speaker 2: They don't. They don't. They don't think that I'm gonna say anything back. They expect me to be scary. They also don't expect me to have the personality that I have because you know, I'm from Florida. Like we we can't nobody talk junk like somebody from Florida. If you pissed me off, If you piss me off, I'm calling you all types of roly poly nick turtlehead.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: You know, if I'm Whitney, I'm Bobby and Whitney Whitney minus all the extra, you know what I mean. I'm very much like somebody asked me the other day, like what R and B songs am I listened to in my car? I'm like, I'm listening to Big Dude, I'm listening to money Bag, I'm listening to Key Clock. I ain't listening to it. I make R and B I don't listen to it.
Speaker 1: Is that like a cleanse for your ears? Sometimes you just hear it, you write it.
Speaker 2: No, I just want to jump on my bed and throw things like everybody else, you know what I'm saying. Like I used to remember, for like a year straight, I would put on bmf Rick Ross and that was my alarm. Literally, like I'll be in the bed asleep and all of a sudden, it's like boom boom. I think, oh, big bitch every morning.
Speaker 3: And that's how people you know her Joe's story, Like as far as you're growing up, you was outside, you know, skinning fish, you know, playing with hogs. You know, you.
Speaker 1: Had a pet hog and then they killed it and ate it.
Speaker 2: Damn so that he was my pet. But they tricked me it into feeding it and fattening it up and making me feel like you know, I used to come home every day from school and be like, hey, Powder, talk to him. And he was a wild hog, so he used to he was he was, he was. It was a big freaking animal. And he would like he would charge at the fence for anybody else, but for me he was nice. He would walk over and like, you know, you talk to and he had these big tusks, and I would go in the house and get there. We had an empty chipling bucket that we used to put our scraps in, so I get the slop bucket, put it in the traw and sit there and talk to him. And one day I came home and the cage was empty. And mind you, my my grandparents lived on four acres, so it was huge. So I walk in. I go straight to the cage. He's not there. I go in the house. I'm like, Granddaddy, what powder. He took me to the window. It was a big, long window in the front of the house, and he pointed to the edge of the yard. So his cage is over here. He poured it over here, and powder was there roasting on the spit. And I just remember falling out and being like and I remember calling my mama, like mama daval and she said, we don't eat. I didn't the first day, I did not eat that second day it was so good. Yeah, he's with me forever.
Speaker 4: Did you ever write a song about powder?
Speaker 2: I didn't know too much.
Speaker 6: We'll be right back with more of the Baller Alert Show. You're listening to a special edition of The Baller Alert Show.
Speaker 2: What's Up?
Speaker 4: Is your Girl? Money Long?
Speaker 2: And you are now tuned into the Baller Alert Show.
Speaker 1: I do want to acknowledge the fact that you were doing all this and this was dope left well, I don't want to say it's dope eating powder or dope. You know, your mom leaving to board the young man at the movie theater. So when did music come into play? Was mom singing all the time in the house and then as we started singing too, and she was like, oh god, you can sing, or she.
Speaker 2: Says she knew I could sing at two years old. Really, we used to living in Connecticut and there was this commercial that used to play. I actually remember this too, and it would go Spirit of Hampton Roots like you know, it was like a airport commercial or something like that. And so yeah, and she says she heard me doing that one day and she looked with the TV was off, so she knew that it was me nice. And there was always music in the house. My biological father played the trumpet. We had pianos in every house that we were in, upright piano. My mom was always singing. There was always music playing. She used to have like those CD towers full. She had like three of them, so it was like always music every get in the car. She had the CD book. So, I mean, it was just kind of like I thought everybody could do it because that's just how we were in our house, even my grandma be you know, humming and cooking. My biological father also could sing. He had like one of those like high pitch temptations, you know, yes yes, and then even writing songs like I wrote my first song when I was eight, and I remember I was vacuuming and just walking down the hallway. I'm looking at the skyllay and my brother was like, what song is that. I was like, I made it up. He's like, no, you didn't, and I was like, yes, I did. We started arguing, so we went to my mom and my mom was like, well, I never heard it before, and then she bought me a composition notebook, and I started making my own songs. I just thought everybody did that, And it wasn't until I started sharing it online, like fifteen sixteen years old that people were like, will you be making that stuff up? Really? Even now, people still do that to me. When I come up with something, they'd be like, you just wrote that right now. So it's just my gift. Everybody's not very talented.
Speaker 3: So you're writing the songs. You know, you're on the internet. Two thousand and eight, you decided to go to La? What decided that in your mind? I'm going to go to LA and do this thing?
Speaker 2: I think I had reached the ceiling here in Atlanta my first record deal. The guy who signed me, him and his lawyer made more money than me on the first record deal I had, and so eventually that money ran out very quickly actually, and I was like, well, damn, you know what am I going to do? I found out about songwriting and I was like, well, I don't want to go back to Gifford because he need nothing to do there. But you know, have babies and so yeah, and get married. I have babies and you know, be a mom, which there's nothing wrong with that, but that's not what I wanted, and so I was like, well, let me go to La do some sessions. I had no idea that I was going to grow in notoriety so fast as a songwriter. But when I got out there, I was doing like five sessions a day every day, two songs minimum in every session. My first session, I got a placement with this UK artist named Cheryl Cole that went number one over there, and then after that it was just like Selena Gomez who says Chris Brown doing me at Rihanna, it was like boom boom boom, you know. But I think it was just because I was working so much that I had so it's like a you know, the ratio of songs I had to choose from made it possible for me to have that kind of like Snowball.
Speaker 1: Are you married at this time? A relationship and get married?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been married for nine years.
Speaker 1: Okay, So so you got married when like where were fifteen? Where were you then? In Florida?
Speaker 2: Uh, California.
Speaker 1: You're in California. So how was that like? Because you know, being married is not easy, that's a whole different job. Yes, definitely happily married, but she crazy and I'm crazy, so.
Speaker 5: It's a little lift.
Speaker 1: So I'm just saying marriage is a job. It's so much communication that needs to be happening, and someone will like you that has a crazy schedule, and then I'm not sure you know who your husband is, but how is that conversation with him when you guys communicating like, hey, you know.
Speaker 2: I have to go to the studio and you might be on all day. I think there has to just be a mutual respect, right because it's like this, I've been working to get to this moment for seventeen years. You know, you wouldn't want to stop the person that you love from doing something that they're obviously, you know, blessed with that is my gifting. But I definitely made it very clear like you're not stopping nothing. I'm gonna I'm gonna work, That's what I'm gonna do. And I think also too, it's just like there's no formula, there's no one size fit all. You have to communicate, you have to make time for what's important to you, and you can't be prideful, which I think that stops a lot of people sometimes from thriving into relationships because you know, you don't want to admit when you mess up. You don't want to be soft, be vulnerable. And also the death of relationships is trying to please anybody else outside of the two of you. You know, if you're doing things for you boys, if you're doing things for the general public, the perception you already lost. It has to be a real genuine respect, mutual connection, respect, communication, maturity, all that.
Speaker 4: An he seems supportive of you.
Speaker 2: He named your label, he came up with the name. Yeah, but also too, I think that's part of it, right, Like sometimes it's just kind to like allow your partner to feel as if yeah, like of course I don't need anyone to name anything or write anything, but you know, if he comes up with a name and it's cool, why not use that thank you? You know what I'm saying, like versus being like no things like it's just it's there's it's not it's kind of productive. There's no purpose for me to do that. And that's with anything like hairstyle, nails, outfit, you know, video treatment, Like if you have a dope idea, why not share?
Speaker 1: Do you guys have fun? Time to date each other.
Speaker 2: It's a little tough, but I mean again, every day is what you make it, you know what I'm saying. I'm happy with walking around the block like I'm happy with that that, you know, or just sitting outside looking at stars or Netflix and Jill like, I'm very simple.
Speaker 1: How did he get you or how did you get him? How did y'all get each other?
Speaker 2: You know, I honestly don't even I just remember liking, uh no, That's why I thought he was going to no. I just remember liking the fact that he was taking care of me, like health wise, so you know, we were working out a lot. I had like holistic medicines and stuff. He was making sure I would take it because sometimes I don't. I'm not the best way remembering to take my medicine. So those are the things that made me be like.
Speaker 1: Hmm, you really care about me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're really love me.
Speaker 3: I know you mentioned in one of your interviews about industry grooming and things like that.
Speaker 4: Can you just shed light on.
Speaker 3: That a little bit.
Speaker 2: I think as I grow, just like as a woman in maturity, as a creative, I realized that every single thing I went through was tempering me. You know for the for where I'm at now, like I was not prepared at any other time or moment before now, I wasn't ready. And also as I grow in wisdom, I'm able to see people, like really see them, and I can tell like who knows themselves, who's being authentic, who is being led by an external locus of control meaning you are moved by outside opinions other than your own that do not originate f himself. And then internal locus of control meaning you get your guidance from your intuition, your gut, what's on your heart. I call it the God whisper. You know, when you get that instinct to like grab your coat before you walk out the door, and then you grab it and then it rains, or you know, you get the instinct like I don't know why someone telling me to bring these flip flops, but I'm gonna bring them, and then you end up needing it. That's the God whisper. That's what I call it. A lot of times people ignore it, but when you get to a certain place of like trusting that and understanding those are little taps from God, from the universe, from your angels. You in the right direction. You learn how to operating that, and so I can recognize when somebody is doing that. I think when I was younger, I didn't have that, so I was trusting and putting my faith in other people. So appreciate you, Shay.
Speaker 4: I know that.
Speaker 3: You are signed now rights or deal.
Speaker 2: I have a partnership with Definitely me, I'm signing myself.
Speaker 1: Partnership is dope.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I know that Hours and Hours helped that, right the single.
Speaker 2: I think the Hours and Hours was a tipping point. But I had already built a catalog, a nice little like catalog about thirty songs, and a bunch of them were doing really well in terms of independency, Like I had multiple songs that were hitting a million.
Speaker 4: For your Yourself under your Name, My Moneymoon.
Speaker 2: And so hours and Hours obviously that's my biggest song. I think it's got half a billion streams, which is amazingaire Right, Well, I ever see the other one too?
Speaker 4: Me too?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I think it was definitely Hours and Hours. But I think what the reason why I was able to get what I was able to get as far as partnership and revenue share and all that is because they saw, like, it's not just one. It's not just a one hit of quitter like she has built. She's going somewhere with her brand. She has identity. And I think the true test came recently with like can she do it again? You know? Is it? Was it just lightning in a bottle? Was it just luck? And I think what made for me now is doing the same thing. Is going viral on TikTok. We got number one at urban radio. We just released a video yesterday, so if you haven't seen that, go check that on YouTube, featuring Lou James, directed by Trinidad James, and that's gray and I think they're seeing like, oh wow, she does know what she's talking about. She does know what she's doing. And it's not any specific formula. It's just the relationship that I have created with my supporters. It took a lot more on groundwork, right. I actually have to, like individually, like every comment, respond with a genuine response, not just like a mooji like yeah, like I have to actually right now, I mean just this is just real, like this is this is how I'm doing it. I'm actually imagine this is what I was saying to my manager Shaka, he's over there. I was like him and Jeff. What the music industry has done in essence is put the power in the hands of the creator, demographic, your niche. It's not you the creator. You don't have the power and neither does the label. Where you get the power is Imagine if you're in a stadium and it's the field is crowded, Imagine you the star player walking through that crowd and not getting attacked, not getting touched, not getting hounded. If you can do that, then you are the captain of the ship. There's not a lot of artists who can do that. Nicki Minaj can do it, you know, Kanye. Kanye can do it. But it's very hard, and it's like you have to be so like confident in who you are to be able to control that space. You're at a spiritual level. You got to be able to push your aura out to let people know like, yes, I'm here, I'm with you, we're in this together. Hey, how are you? You're beautiful? Oh my gosh, like and you really it has to be genuine because people can smell the fear. You can't fake it. So I think think where my power comes from is I really know my audience. I really know what they want to see for me, what they want to hear, and I protect it. I do not let you know. Sometimes people at the label will be like, oh, can you do this? And can you do what this? And can you make a post about this. I'm like, that's whack. They're gonna know you know that it's not me. And it's not to say that people's ideas are whack. It's just they know my voice and they can tell when I'm trying to sell them something or when I really am genuinely like, y'all, I found his lotion, you know what I'm saying. So it drives my value up because I'm only going to advertise and stand behind things that I actually believe in. So when I do speak about something, you know, oh, I'm gonna go get that because she don't. She don't just be feeding us, you know, force feeding us stuff. But it takes longer because I have to actually vet these things and you know, try things out and spend my own money, and you know, before I bring it to my people, I have to have warned, you know. So it takes longer, it takes more resources, and it's not like the cool route, you know what I'm saying where like a lot of these influencers, they're wearing and testing the hottest stuff as it's you know, blowing up is about timing for me and finding the right partnerships. But in the end, at the end of it, I'm creating this foundation that is very strong, and you can't it's not shakeable. It's unshakeable. So like if I do mess up and I have a moment that isn't so great, it's overshadowed by all the times that I made the right choices, and I'm fine with that. Like my goal was never to be uh famous. It's to be able to express myself at a high level for a very long time until I get tired of it. And of course being successful in having brand recognition and people knowing who I am visually and knowing who I am as a personality helps to be able to do that to bring in more opportunities, But that's not the goal. So I think, as I said before, I wasn't ready before and now I wouldn't have been able to understand that.
Speaker 3: You know, ten years ago, do you think this power came from when you stepped out of priscillating into money long I.
Speaker 2: Think it so in that transition period, yes, but it didn't have anything to do with music. It was just I had asked an old friend of mine, Wilmer Valdorama. I don't know if you guys watched our seventies show. He's a fez for an exchange student, and of course he's grown, he's done, he's on like ncis now. But I asked him a long time ago. I was like, Wilmer, how do you know when it's time to grow up? I think I was like twenty when I asked him this, and he was like, when you get tired of making the same mistakes over and over, you start changing things and tweaking things and doing things differently. And that really hit me. I had to think about it for a long time, like what do you mean? What do he mean by it? And so I started watching how I talk about myself, watching how I talk about others, watching when you get that little envious feeling when you see somebody doing something that you wish you were doing, changing the momentum of that thought into like, so now instead, when I see somebody doing something that I want to be doing, I don't even feel envy anymore. I'm remembering to say, that's for me. I would love to experience that, you know, and so you're calling these things into your experience with a positive polarization versus like the opposite of that would be dang, how come it? You know it's never works out for me, mag get right there. It's always something you gotta watch that. You can't talk like that, and it takes literally you have to brainwash yourself. So I was listening to self help books, meditations ask formations, so basically affirmations in the form of a question, like why am I so successful? Why does it everything always happened for me so easily? Why is my bank account so full? You know, things like that. Before I go to sleep, first thing in the morning, I'm listening to my books. I'm turning on It's so much stuff on YouTube, like for free therapy rey key. Yeah. So, like I did a very holistic like rebranding as well internally, and then what you guys see is the product of that very surface level. You know, how I address how I talk, my music, my videos, But there's there's so much more deeper work that I've been doing.
Speaker 4: You said you had that conversation with fez. Well, he's never really fizz.
Speaker 3: But at twenty and twenty one, you became a millionaire or he made the first million.
Speaker 4: This is the Bler Alert Show. And just to touch on.
Speaker 3: The financial aspect of it, can you just shed some light on financial decisions and when you get into making money.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think I've seen so many interviews where like people will share when they first started get and money, they blew it. And I definitely blew a lot, not understanding just how business works and taxes and what you can write off and what you can't, and rent and loaning people money and you know, thinking you're going to get it back and you never, you never will. You don't get it back, They don't give it back.
Speaker 3: We just had Atl Jacob and he blew his money, like told him he was gonna blow it. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Atl Jacob said that Future said, every every person in the industry that makes a lot of money goes broke the first time.
Speaker 2: Around second third because it's like you think that when you get this amount of money, it's gonna change your life. When you get this car, when you get this jewelry, when you get that's what you think. And then when you get it you realize like, oh, hey, you know that has nothing to do with it, and that's why you like, you know, you'll see people who are really wealthy weren't flannel shirts and birkenstocks because it's like none of that stuff really matters. Money is just a means to be able to maneuver in the world. So like, if I want to get up at two am and fly to Dubai, I need to make enough money where I can. I can do that and the rules do not apply to me because I make my own magic. And the only reason why I understand that is because I've tried it every other way. Right, So like, as much as you don't want your baby, I don't know if you have kids, as much as you might not want your baby to touch that hot stove, they gotta touch it to see. See, that's why you don't do that, you know. And so like, there is something very in the humanness of like existence, right if that doesn't even make sense, but you get what I'm saying. There is just something about us where we gotta see for ourselves and experience it for ourselves. There is no better teacher than experience. It doesn't matter how much I tell you that that's not gonna out good. You're not gonna really understand it. Yeah, you're not until you you know it, don't matter how much your mama tell you, or your sister or whoever, be like, man, treat that girl right, do the right thing. Until you lose her, You're not gonna get it. You're not gonna understand. And so I would just say, man, like, if you plan on being really successful, plan on losing, plan on losing, you will, but get back up, Like, get back up, don't let that stop you. I failed. I can't even tell you how many times, but I got back up, and I'm like, well, you know what else am I gonna do?
Speaker 1: Is that why you made your name? Money long?
Speaker 2: Money long? It's definitely an affirmation for sure, because it looks like when you look at it, you say, it's oh it's mooney long, but it's money long.
Speaker 1: Yes, why am you?
Speaker 2: And I you know it's gonna be different. Also, there was nobody else with that name. It was nowhere. It did not exist when I've heard first changed my name. Now you go online, there's a bunch of I googled it. I always do that. I do that with like song titles, any ideas I might have. I Google to make sure that it doesn't exist exist so that I can own it.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I just, uh, there's a bunch of money loans on the internet.
Speaker 3: Now, Yeah, I want to know, how do you how do you approach a song when you're writing, good question.
Speaker 2: I'm channeling so almost like a freestyle most of the time.
Speaker 1: Do you have to be there with the producer making it from scratch too?
Speaker 2: Or I don't have to that's ideal though, that's the ideal. So that's what I've been doing on this project. But now I could do it to a track like with Hours and Hours. That was a beat I found on YouTube. I was just I was washing dishes and I was like, extremely bored. I hate cleaning up.
Speaker 1: Found that beat.
Speaker 2: Found that beat. That's a long story, yeah, because I bought it, but the producer didn't actually have the right to sell it to me. So it turned into it. It turned to do a huge thing. We're not gonna talk about it.
Speaker 1: I got flowers on that song because that's a very slow song on the DJ and in Atlanta, you had to play that in the club and.
Speaker 2: It's the slow you know. I still haven't heard that song in the club. You haven't heard the song I heard of the Magic City. But even when you went to Ladies of R and B, of course, But I mean like in the club, like everybody's singing it long. I've never because during the peak of it, it was COVID and I was not going outside Atlanta. I was in l A compromised at all. I was not going outside. I got people are trying to book me. It was getting mad, like, yo, we got this money for you, Like you also have to co you know you can't.
Speaker 3: You can't play with lupis. That's an auto immune disease. Like you can'tnot do.
Speaker 2: That, yes, because then I'll be in the hospital bed and you knows all I was trying to do is smoke. Hookah is not Atlanta has a hookah problem. I'm sorry. Listen, I've seen somebody at the bus stop with a hookah at the bus stop. No, it wasn't a portable one was the glass with the whale at the bus that's the home. That's the whole Atlanta. Mind you, I live in l A. I've been there for a decade. And yes, it is in the sense that you would go to like the Mediterranean spower the spot and then you could do hookah at night. They give it to you with like milk to make it smoother. They put like the fruit around the rims, and it's the it's the sheisha, which is like the jelled tobacco. Bro they not giving you. You're getting regular tobacco and a hookah, and it's not the coal. They're supposed to come around and tap that coal every few you know, thirty minutes to tap off all the soot. So next time when y'all go do hookah and you pay attention, they're not doing that. But the call is getting smaller and smaller, so it's not it's going in the air. So like if you're in the hookah spot and your throat is burning, when you go home and you blow your nose and see how much soot is in your nose, it's so unhealthy. And then you're not supposed to be smoking out the plastic because that plastic, all the microplastic is going in your throat. It's supposed to be a wooden nozzle.
Speaker 4: Teach them.
Speaker 2: So I'm just like y'all not doing y'all are doing spook up. That's not who spooky. Yeah, that hooka is killing young.
Speaker 3: When you need to do some some jingles you got, can you jingle us to a break?
Speaker 2: Baller Alert Baller Alert, We'll be right back.
Speaker 6: We'll be right back with more of the Baller Alert Show. You're listening to a special edition of the Baller Alert Show.
Speaker 2: What's Up? It's your girl money Long and you are now watching the Baller Alert Show on what do you want?
Speaker 4: On the Bowler Alert Show? Made for Me? Where did you come up with this?
Speaker 2: So I did on the bet Soul Train Awards this past November, I did a rendition of May for Me that had a bridge which featured vocalists choir vocalists of my favorite vocalist, and I did the arrangement for that with a young man named Juwan who was also singing, and walteron Millsap and I just wanted, like, sometimes choirs can be a little cringey, right, but I felt like this song gave, especially those core changes on the bridge. It definitely gave like praise and worship because I used to lead the praise and worship team like when I was heavy in the church, because that's all my mama would let me do. Uh. So I decided like, okay, let me go back to my roots and bring that into the performance. And it was also probably one of my more simpler performances I've ever done, because I'm like, Okay, you know, the only thing you can do is if you keep going I want up, up and up, you gotta bring it back down to bring it back up. Otherwise it's just as you gonna end up like hanging off the roof by your pinky toe, so you know what I'm saying. So I had to bring it back down do something a lot more simple. And then for the music video, I wanted to do something around Halloween where it was like Frankenstein kind of I lose my lover and then I go to the morgue and I get all these body parts and sold them together and make my perfect person. But that was a little bit too gory. And also like sometimes as a black female artist, you have to understand that while you might not be because black women are not a monolith. There's email girls, there's luxury girls, there's the hood girls, there's the bookworm, nerdy girls, city girls, city girls, you know, so it's like there's so many different kind of Black women but what the general public wants to see from a black woman is a small set of things that they will accept. And so I kind of understood that, like, Okay, even though that is going into like the sci fi anime bag, everybody don't want to see that from me, So let me just temper it and like turn it down a little bit. So I teamed up with Trinidad James and Des Gray and they tweaked my treatment to make it be AI robot, black people in text, black people in tech, and so without giving you too much, basically, the concept was that maybe if you you know, when you think about the conversation on Twitter and Spiritual World posts a lot about relationships and the arguments that are happening between black men and black women and how people feel like the dating pool is pissed. Thank god, I don't have to do it, but you know, if you listen to what the streets are saying, it's hell out here. And so I remember maybe twenty years ago, thinking, wouldn't it be cool to see the person that you're talking to you on the phone and then boom, we have his time, And so I'm wondering, you know, just putting it out there especially. I don't know if you guys follow like any AI pages on Instagram, you're already using it.
Speaker 4: No, I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: AI is going to take everybody job you're already using.
Speaker 5: It's already talking about the AI that they're trying to prove and the entertainment business to where they trying to license our voices and face and all this stuff too.
Speaker 2: I mean that just becomes a human rights issue, right, But you're using AI every day, Okay.
Speaker 5: I like AI in their term, not the terms where they trying to legalize.
Speaker 3: I will say, Luke James played a good AI at the end when you yeah put him back together?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, did that James come from too. I've known him for a while. I was working with him as a songwriter producer, and I saw that he was doing a lot of sexy red stuff. So he transitioned from just being an artist and being you know, the representative to now assisting other people when it comes to like style, creating content, shooting videos and so saw him doing this thing with sexy read and I was like, man, that's good for you. And one thing about me, I never like to engage or reach out to people until I actually got something for you to do. So I put it on my list of like I really want to work with him on something, and I hit him and he was like, let's go. I'm ready. And when I tell you like they really like delivering on everything that they said they was going to do. Because that's another thing, is like, it's priceless when you can find someone who can do what they advertise right. And in this business, there's a lot of people who will say one thing and then as soon as you get a little cloud, get some success, they switch it up and then you know they want to own everything. They want to take credit for everything. That's whack. It's very whack. But then there are some people, very few and far between, that if they say I can get you this, they get it. They deliver, sometimes they over deliver, they deliver on time, they do it without complaint. Those are the people that you want to surround yourself with, and Trinidad is definitely one of those people.
Speaker 4: Okay, is this a song leading into a project?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? I have album. I just finished it. Actually, That's what I'm here for in Atlanta to finish my project. I'm working with Tricky Stewart Ricky. Yeah, he's executive producing it. I got songs with Tommy Brown and mister Franks who did a lot of the Ariana Grande hits that we know and love. Toron Thomas who did like a bunch of the stuff with Lizzo about them. Tommy one Record of the Year, Song of the Year last year, he's nominated Rock City. He's nominated for Songwriter the Year this year at the Grammys. I've known him for years. He's amazing. And then the dream worked with him, and then Ku Carell, who does all like my background vocals and my vocal production. He also is part of the reason why I feel like we won Best R and B Performance for hours and hours after Grammy's last year.
Speaker 3: So Dream Team, I'm excited. Man, you're excited about this because I love your voice. I like your style, like you have nostalgia in your voice too, you know, And I even like watching your perform like that that one performance that went viral when you're like, what did I do?
Speaker 2: I just love having fun, man, being silly and is like, I gotta always keep that. I gotta always keep that because you know, people like they turn into it now, mind you if it's funny. I'm gonna laugh. It was just one dude that he took that sound and he made it like when you get in the car and you'll see hot. Yeah it was.
Speaker 5: That was funny that you can laugh at yourself though, because I feel like a lot of artists do not like the antics on social media.
Speaker 2: But that's just because I know who I am. It's like that ain't it ain't or nothing.
Speaker 5: But you know, when a song came out, I was like, man, y'all are wearing this song the haters.
Speaker 1: I makes me think about my wife.
Speaker 2: I love that song, but I did wear it out.
Speaker 5: I'm one of those people that would listen to a song twenty times and one day when I first hit and what, I really like it, But I don't want the internet to be playing it too, Like I don't want to get on the internet. I didn't listen to this twenty times in my car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's, you know, blessed in a curse because while I'm super grateful and a lot of times to the way the industry set up. Now, if your song is not doing that on the internet, they won't even pay you dust. So it's like you kind of need it. But I only I only truly appreciate it when it's organic, Like you know, I did not pay people.
Speaker 3: Like the maid for me is like organic because I think a girl in some blue pants, blue.
Speaker 2: Girl in the blue pajamas. It's a lot of beef going on on TikTok out there because it's two creators that one guy, one guy named Reuben J. He did he made a parody making fun of my soul Train performance, just like walking in the wind because it was crazy cold and wendy. So you know, his wig is like doing like this. You know, it's super funny, super funny, and like he made it like kind of like the good Christian Sancti Vibe version. And then the young girl Marie, she took it to the hood. You know, she was in what was it, TJ Max or something like that, and some pajamas. I almost bought those same pajamas from Target. I got the green ones and she was in there, you know, just like she nugged it out a little bit. And that's what people are arguing about, like, oh, she started it first. He started first, Like guys, we all win it. You know, I'm not mad. I'm not mad.
Speaker 1: I do got a question. So when did this guy Shata come into the picture. Man, it's a good guy, a good guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. I've been working on Chaka for maybe like six eight months now, I don't know, I'm like six yeah. Always obviously been a fan from a distance, and he him and Jeff really like take care of me. And it's hard for me right to listen to other people because I'd be worried, like you're just trying to benefit, you know in some way, like what's the catch. But they're not like that at all. It's like they can actually give me advice and give me the reason why I shouldn't be doing it or I should go this way versus this way. And we have a great chemistry where I trust them, you know, And that's like it's very Yeah, it's very important, especially being a woman, right, you know, them working with Luda for all these years is totally different.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: I gotta get hair and make up styling before I do anything. I gotta I gotta be looking right. I cannot go outside without makeup on or people are like, well she looks sick, you know what I'm saying, And I just look regular. So they understand that they fight for me as a performer. There are certain things that I need. Like I went to the Chantey Mor concert last night and she said it was hot in their and I was like, this is just me, and then she said it. She was like, thank y'all for boiling for me, because I can't sing with the air on, you know, just certain things like that, or like you going too a venue and they don't want to cut the air condition off, so they're blowing all this dust and cold, they're into your lungs, and then they expect you to go out there and sing for an hour and hit these you know, vocal cords. Is that why she said, shyn your vocal cords. But also like when you warm up, you're literally imagine like you know, you're a runner, you're an athlete, and you warm up, you run around the track, and then you sit in the cold for twenty minutes, so now you're tight again and you can hurt yourself that way, you know. So it's like it's the same thing with a singer. I do all those warm ups and then you get ready to go perform on these award shows and right before you walk on stage, there's the air blowing right on top of your head. You know, and they got to keep all those lights cool. So you understand that. But at a certain point, you know, you need people back there like Shaka fighting for you to be like, hey, cut that air off five minutes. You know what I'm saying. It's very important, man. It's like just those little things because those womans live forever. It's like, you know, it might only be a four minute performance, but they're gonna watch it over and over for years to come. It's got to be right, you know, it's your legacy.
Speaker 5: I gotta say a shout out to J D and B cox Man because when I tell you every Wednesday at Ladies of R and B, your songs are in rotation.
Speaker 4: You're part of keeping alive. Thank you for real.
Speaker 1: Rotation.
Speaker 2: Powder Wow, what out it to you?
Speaker 4: Exactly?
Speaker 2: That's why he said, well y'all to cast out with. I was like, it's okay, oh yeah, money Line on the Baller Alert Show.
Speaker 3: Before we get out of here, we do have to ask you for a pep talk.
Speaker 2: What's up, y'all? It's your girl money long and my little piece of motivation for you is get up out that bed. Ain't no money in that bed. Get out there in them streets, line them pockets.
Speaker 6: Can't get enough of baller Alert. Follow us on all social media platforms at baller Alertlog on the baller alert dot com