Speaker 1: Still the Place with Laura Layton, Courtney Thorn Smith.
Speaker 2: And Daphne's Aniga an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hi ladies, welcome back to Still the Place.
Speaker 3: Super excited, always good to see you, so good to see you both. We're on episode twenty eight, which is called Pushing Boundaries, which is a very good title for it at first here in April seventh, nineteen ninety three. So this is back to really sort of classic fun Melrose.
Speaker 1: We have Allison falling more in.
Speaker 3: Love with Billy, which is so sweet to see her being vulnerable, but Amanda is torturing her at work and also trying to call Billy on the phone. Alison is erasing the messages. Matt has a date, which is super exciting.
Speaker 4: Matt has a date.
Speaker 1: Matt has a date.
Speaker 3: Michael is being a dick to sweet beautiful Jane and flirting with Kimberly and where the Matt and uncomfortable ways super uncomfortab and Daphne is rubbing Grant's chest all of us, both of us, I said, d as Joe's Daphne's rubbing Grant's chest for us, Joe is rubbing Jake's chest.
Speaker 1: But you know, the lines blur as.
Speaker 4: We know, very confusing.
Speaker 3: So we start off exterior D and D, which you've talked about before, but it was the spelling offices, and Amanda is already being brought to Alison. So I just want to start by saying, Amanda is in this beautiful little fitted sweater and skirt, and.
Speaker 4: We were going to start with clothes.
Speaker 3: I'm a linebacker. Why do I look like I'm ready to go on the football field? What can you explain the shoulder pads to me?
Speaker 4: They were extra large shoulder pads this time.
Speaker 5: Yes, but I have the note that finally he's in a very tightly belted skirt suit and with a velvet black.
Speaker 2: Scrunchy and finally, you're not frumpy. So there's that. Well from you, Courtney.
Speaker 5: May have put in your little double choulder pads that you got online that you told me on the Home Shopping Network the Home Shopping Network, maybe in your trailer you added, but at least you had a shape.
Speaker 2: It wasn't frumpy and layered.
Speaker 1: I thought you that's true. It's just still too big what I saw on this.
Speaker 3: I'm like, wow, Heather knows that address for her body and I have not yet figured it out I have these huge, voluminous tops. Anyway, So Amanda's being mean to Alison about her work and also sort of implying that she wants to talk to Billy. So Allison says that Billy doesn't want to talk to her, and she says, as you know, when you live with a guy, it's easy to read between the lines.
Speaker 4: I love how like Alison was sort of irritated and put out at the beginning of the conversation, but the minute she saw an opening to start, like, you know, twisting the knife to Amanda, she's smiling. She's like, oh and as you know, like she's like, I have a tactic here, and she's she's.
Speaker 2: Got a plan.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she's annoyed because because Amanda already is saying things like I need to see your work now and so slip shot and god, can't you do better, she just you know, opens it and goes through it and uses these scripty words. They were words, but she insult So Alison's like, well, let me just remind you I live with Billy, I know.
Speaker 3: So we've established that Amanda is mean to Alison, and Alison has a crush on Billy, which is adorable and then we go to Escapade magazine, where Billy's co worker has reported him for lying on his resume.
Speaker 4: About going to Columbia, about going to Columbia.
Speaker 3: He's totally you know, and instead of firing him, his boss gives him a chance to cover a story.
Speaker 1: And can you guys explain this to me? His boss is playing with.
Speaker 4: This like yeah, like.
Speaker 1: Pink ball.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 4: It was a strange I mean, she's like the sophisticated head of the magazine, right, and she's squishing this pink fuzzy thing in her hand for the entire scene.
Speaker 1: We all notice, but we didn't have those then.
Speaker 4: No, it's never explained or like Billy doesn't even go, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: You have a big bu.
Speaker 2: Oh, well yeah that makes sense the rest of the show. Yeah, well maybe she slater, that makes sense, but she's thinking exactly.
Speaker 5: Instead of getting mad of her brand new employee lying, she gives him a promotion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is a happy surprise for Billy and a big surprise for us. So after Billy's promotion, we go to the hospital where Michael and Kimberly are flirting so overtly not subtle, not subtle about her hidden tattoo, and he's guessing where it is, and we basically have it somewhere in her nether regions, Like all we know is that it's somewhere in.
Speaker 2: The shoulders and the ankles, and really no.
Speaker 3: It's somewhere her underpants hide, right, because that's what she's made clear.
Speaker 4: Well, but she also does a little like drippy, you know, like takes her scrubs off of one shoulder, like is it here? Peekaboo, Like she's totally is.
Speaker 2: It in my ankle?
Speaker 5: And she lives her scrubs pants and you see her scrunchy socks and rebox remember those white rebox with the white.
Speaker 1: Socks, And then she dances over to sit next to him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, super game all and totally yeah, totally.
Speaker 3: Overt, Yes, super overt. There's nothing subtle about it. So at this point, I'm still kind of hoping that Michael is going to hold off because of our beautiful Jane slash dear friend Josie. And I'm already annoyed, but so fingers crossed he's gonna be able to keep it in his pants.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So then we end up at Shooters right, which is the only restaurant in town. I think of his self.
Speaker 1: It's the main restaurant, for sure, it's the main restaurant. Everyone knows Matt or having drinks and this.
Speaker 3: Very cute guy approaches him. Ronda thinks it's for her, but.
Speaker 4: It's Brian McNamara and he's a very you know, handsome, charming guy and yeah, and Rnonda assumes, but no, he's got his eyes from Matt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he was a lawyer on Matt's case.
Speaker 4: Wrongful termination suit. He was at the firm, but not actually on that case because he's in we'll learn later that he's in a different department.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is a nice way too. I thought it was a subtle way to say. So he knows Matt's gay, so we know he's like they make it really clear he's hitting and him. He gives him his card and Matt says, I don't need a lawyer, and he goes, how about for dinner?
Speaker 1: Right? That's pretty smiid didn't he think? Yeah?
Speaker 3: It was?
Speaker 4: It was the uh And it was also really cute, just like to call Ronda out that she was making the assumption like, Oh, the guy's looking over here, he must be looking at me. Nope, I'm looking at Matt. I know, it was a cute way to have that scene.
Speaker 1: I was so happy he got a date. So we're all super excited.
Speaker 3: And then we're back at Billy and Allison's apartment where Alison is erasing a message from Amanda and Billy walks in just as she's doing it and tells her that he's writing about a dog wedding.
Speaker 4: Which but he's happy because he's writing.
Speaker 1: That sounds like a great article.
Speaker 4: I actually thought of you. When I saw that, I was like, oh my gosh, Corney missed me. So thrilled she missed me.
Speaker 1: Yang they're making fun of it because perfect sense.
Speaker 5: We get excited that before the scene before when the boss says, well, I have something for you to write about a wedding, you know, and uh, you're the audience goes, oh yay, you know, and then he's like a dog wedding.
Speaker 4: He's like, what it's It's cute because he's like, I know it's a puff piece and she's just like given me this like promotion sort of whatever, but at least it's writing and I'm gonna make the best durned puff piece I can. And you know, he's just like, I'll show her.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna did you notice the angle?
Speaker 3: So we're kind of behind Alison with her gargantuan scrunchheet, which Daphney pointed out, and Billy is walking down and Andrew's gone on the cutest faded jeans. It must be when he started bringing his own clothes and he could not look cute, and Allison looks completely flustered. I put Allison looks very amused and horny in her scrunch She's like, oh dog Weddy, Oh my goodness.
Speaker 4: Like, I don't know, I didn't get horny. I really I didn't get that. I think you might be projected. We might have some recollection of I don't know.
Speaker 2: Just like there probably was some. There probably was some because behind the scenes we know, y'all what was going on before.
Speaker 1: There are my favorite genes of his that I'm having a sense memory.
Speaker 4: But wait, you're back. Did you see that he started bringing his own clothes.
Speaker 3: Well, when he's wearing their clothes, he's got on huge pleated khakis and huge shirts. He had on these really cute faded jeans which must have must have been his.
Speaker 4: You're assuming they're hit.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting, what about you? Corney?
Speaker 5: Because you were some like they look like just regular Levi's that were well worn.
Speaker 1: Those were mine. Yeah, those, Yeah, that's what I thought.
Speaker 2: You can tell, you know, when people wear their own jeans.
Speaker 1: Maybe John I was sharing the same pair of jeans. Maybe maybe that.
Speaker 5: Happens often though with wardrobe people. They'll, you know, they'll say if you have a comfortable pair of jeans, it helps them too, because it makes it look real.
Speaker 4: And jeans are nearly impossible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's just so many. It happens pretty often.
Speaker 1: They'll say, yeah, I still have those genes.
Speaker 2: Oh really, Yeah, it must be well worn.
Speaker 1: This is thirty five years ago. Yeah, I got the five oh ones.
Speaker 2: They're back.
Speaker 1: They're back in. They're back in.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 3: So now we go back to Escapade magazine and Billy's boss likes his article and shows it by walking around his chair and touching his shoulders. She gives him a promotion. He says, they don't know how to thank you, and she says, we'll think of something.
Speaker 2: Yes, Billy goes great.
Speaker 5: Thanks makes that reminds me of like this episode is two women making the moves and being very strong with the men. So you have Kimberly doing it too, Michael, And I'm very much this boss doing this to Billy, and also Amanda's coming up to Billy too, and Amanda, but not in this way. This like this boss you know often is switched around, but you know the gender. That's usually the male boss doing it to the young you know, underling female.
Speaker 4: But anyway, I thought we're neither one of them belong.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, exactly, we'll follow it through and see you right.
Speaker 3: And it's a show of aggressive women speaking of We're back at D and D and Amanda is is torturing Allison. She tells us the Handsbacker report, and she says the descriptions are trite, the goals of the campaign are ill defined, and the conclusions read like wishful thinking. Honestly, Allison, I don't mean to be harsh, but your work is still on aut to the level it was before you were chasing your boyfriend all over the country.
Speaker 1: Again, she didn't mean to be harsh, No, she meant to be kind. She just meant to exaggerate. She's trying to help, trying to help you.
Speaker 4: She was just trying to be specific.
Speaker 3: So then Billy calls to tell Alison about his promotion and you see Amanda listening to the conversation about where they're going to meet for dinner, right yeap where they're all going to meet, And.
Speaker 5: We all knew it was going to happen because so the whole building now is going to go out and celebrate for Billy Billy's.
Speaker 1: Success, which which is super cute all together a scene.
Speaker 2: So that's the next scene.
Speaker 5: And I was going to ask, you, guys, do you remember where we shot that scene where the whole building is out to dinner on an outside patio? I don't do you No, I was trying to remember where we would you know, usually its scenes where there's just a date, you know, a couple or maybe a double date somewhere, but that was I don't know.
Speaker 2: Was it a place out there?
Speaker 4: Did Marie calendar we have an outdoor patio?
Speaker 1: It actually did?
Speaker 4: They actually did?
Speaker 1: It could have been, could have been.
Speaker 4: I don't remember Hamlet too. Didn't we shoot at Hamburger Hamlets?
Speaker 3: Although yeah, that we would, but they we walk on the street after dinner, so we actually went into the town.
Speaker 2: Maybe very I was just wondering if you guys remember, Gosh, I wish I remembered.
Speaker 1: I don't but I love all being together.
Speaker 3: So at the dinner, Billy is sharing his really heartfelt thanks and Michael is just being a complete dick about it. And when Amanda shows up and says, I've been leaving you messages?
Speaker 1: Did you get them?
Speaker 3: And Billy covers for Alison, God bless him and says the machines on the fritz, and then Michael says, Michael says, if I were you, I'd get my machine fixed because you don't want to miss her car.
Speaker 1: We're very annoyed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, because well he's just implying you don't want to miss the calls from Amanda.
Speaker 2: I know, babe, but.
Speaker 4: He's just very like smug and smarmy a little bit.
Speaker 1: And yeah, he's being.
Speaker 3: Gross in this scene, which he continues as he's walking with the guys and saying shitty things about marriage about the saying to the guys, follow.
Speaker 1: Your libido while you can, and yeah, comes when you're married. He goes, nothing, come on.
Speaker 4: So he's on the stage and.
Speaker 5: Then we have a little walk away with a little walk walk and talk as they call them in the biz with Alison and Joe and she confess as well, I erased all the messages from Amanda that she's been leaving for Billy, and then I think.
Speaker 2: I like approve that, don't I.
Speaker 1: Well, everyone's kind of saying at this point, why don't you guys just go out already?
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, it's clear, even the cast is yeah, like the audiences, Yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Know, the guys and the girls are like, why aren't you just like making Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: Everybody's so tired of the will they won't they? Back and forth, So we go afterwards, we're back in Joe. I hope it's Joe's apartment. We don't know, but you're on pink satin sheets, so I'm hoping those aren't Jakes.
Speaker 4: It's definitely Joe's apartment because it's pink satin sheets, pink satin.
Speaker 2: How we're deciding that now, remember what, it's not Jake's.
Speaker 4: We've seen them before. Yeah, he has some sort of you know, navy plaid, but you definitely have pink satin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so these are pink satin.
Speaker 3: And Joe is rubbing Jake's chest for America, and he's talking about Michael flirting outside of his marriage, and you said something that I thought was really interesting, you as Joe dath and you said, it seems to me that you and I were lovers way before we actually did it.
Speaker 1: And it was funny because I saw you trying to make.
Speaker 3: We did it work because I'm like, obviously you're like we like you have to do exact words like what I really, as a grown woman say, did.
Speaker 4: It like you said it kind of like cute? Like you made it kind of cute, you made it work.
Speaker 1: But I could see like how you had to make it work.
Speaker 5: And also I thought it was a little confusing because doesn't the word we were lovers mean we were making love, meaning we were having sex.
Speaker 4: She felished by we were lovers before we.
Speaker 1: Did it, so it should have been before we physically made love.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's saying that you guys were in love when you were in love with each other before you had sex. So if Michael's flirting with somebody, that's an emotional affair.
Speaker 1: That's what I think from it.
Speaker 4: It's just an example of like a line that isn't really like right, and you were just on going. I guess I just got to make this where because I can't change it right. And it's like it sounded it was like fine on paper or whatever it seemed to find on paper until somebody's trying to say it and wing, wait, yeah out loud is a whole different thing than yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: But you made it work, you made it playful, which is sweet. And then you guys, and then she went back to rubbing slide off the sheets. I don't know how because they were very pink and very shine.
Speaker 5: You just clung to his chest, on to his six packs so she wouldn't slide off those sheets like a ladder.
Speaker 1: You just hang on.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So then we're back in Billie's room and Alison enters, dare we stay without pants?
Speaker 4: Well? I lowered the shot started because it's on her bare feet on the floor at a closed door and you can tell it's a bedroom, and she's like, so it's a little bit like teasing what is this moment going to be? And then panding up, we find she's in this giant T shirt.
Speaker 2: But you're right, giant men's men's sports.
Speaker 5: You know what made me think of made me think of that was that looked like a Dartmouth the Dartmouth green soccer.
Speaker 1: That's what I thought.
Speaker 2: No, was she borrowing that from home?
Speaker 5: Too?
Speaker 2: Did she bring that from Andrew's closet blurring Blurring TV.
Speaker 1: That's a really good point.
Speaker 3: But it did look really kind of post coital, which I know it wasn't, but I know that was intentional.
Speaker 2: It was c yeah, and sexy.
Speaker 4: You're super cudy.
Speaker 1: It was really sexy.
Speaker 3: And Alison admits that she's been erasing messages, and I thought it was really sweet to see her so vulnerable, like the table has turned, and she whether she knows it or not, it's obvious to us that she's having really strong.
Speaker 1: Feelings for Billy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he's the one sort of playing it cooy because his boss is after him, a man is after him. Alison is just one more I must have all seen those genes that must have it.
Speaker 4: I think that was it.
Speaker 2: It's so cute how he plays it.
Speaker 5: He's just like sitting back and watching her squirm and kind of justify.
Speaker 1: It's just like, uh huh, yeah, you lied, well.
Speaker 2: Like, okay, what are you really saying?
Speaker 5: He's just staring at her and I'm just going like, are those the actors or are those the characters?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: It was such a shift though, right because normally he's sort of goofy and Alison's rude for some reason, and now he's so cool and she's so vulnerable.
Speaker 1: I thought it was really sweet. I like this turn.
Speaker 3: So then back in the Escapade offices, I think, I don't know, maybe this is the one you're thinking of, Laura. So Alison arrives for lunch. So she asked them to lunch in the previous scene. And she arrives for lunch in a really weird orange suit.
Speaker 4: It was like apricot color. And I will say that I think they are on me the same shoulder pads I noticed were it was very shouldery.
Speaker 3: And also off the shoulder, so how I yeah, yeah, yeah, that was off the shoulder, off.
Speaker 1: The shoulder, so really weird. But whatever.
Speaker 3: So she shows up and she and the Billy and his boss are in the conference room and she is really being super flirty with him, and.
Speaker 5: The blinds are open, so when you come to like you could just see her with her short skirts sitting on a desk flirting with Billy talking about business.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's draped herself on the conference table for all the office to see because she's left the blinds open, and they're watching. Alison and Cameron are watching through the window, and he's like, hey, are you the girlfriend?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're super inappropriate, And Alison makes her feelings known as they're walking in the park, and then Billy says, very clearly, what's going on with you anyway? Every time I'm around a female lately, you're freaking out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could possibly be going on.
Speaker 3: What could possibly As Alison handles it really well and walks away, she just, you know, super directing call.
Speaker 5: And then he throws out the rest of his apple or something in a trash bin that's right there in the middle of the path, like in the middle.
Speaker 2: Like when you're in a park, trash bins are not in the middle of the walkway. The trash bins at the side in a corner near a fountain. And then I don't know, but it's never in the middle of where people are walking. It was so weird.
Speaker 3: Maybe they weren't allowed to put it on the grass or something, but it was so awkwardly. I thought this, like, you can't take a step and throw it away.
Speaker 1: It was literally right in front of him.
Speaker 5: I mean, you can catch these in film and TV. You know, when you have to go fast, you see these little weird things.
Speaker 2: That just would never happen, just so that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this one was really obvious, prop can it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was super funny. So now we're back at the hospital and Kimberly's complaining about her boyfriend, and then she makes an abrupt shift and admits that she was crying the night before because she's quote falling for a wonderful friend of hers that she can never have.
Speaker 1: And then Michael says does he know? And she had and says he does.
Speaker 4: Now, Well, this is another scene of like Marsha just killing it. I mean, like she is so good at these moments and like milking every like nuance out of it. I mean, I think if I think about the words on paper, it wouldn't have been that dynamic. But I think Marcia is so good, Like she really makes these scenes electric. I mean, even though we as the audience are rooting for Thomas or Michael to you know, be true to his wife whatever, the chemistry between them is absolutely undeniable too. And I think the scenes are just electric between them because I think Marcia is just so on fire and they really back worked it out.
Speaker 2: They really worked it out they too.
Speaker 5: That you can tell also because I've heard stories now of how much fun they had together as actors, you know, so like even their physicality is very you can tell they're playing.
Speaker 1: They're fun. Yeah, she really goes for it.
Speaker 3: And even though we're mad at her that moment when she's talking, you can't you feel for her in that moment when she says, I was crying over a dear friend.
Speaker 1: Do I'm in love with you?
Speaker 5: Go?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 5: Who?
Speaker 1: And they're oh, man.
Speaker 4: Kane's husband, come on, yeah, and he's so he manages to sort of deflect and like get himself out of it, like uh, and and he leave right the end of the day.
Speaker 1: She leaves and he's looking after her.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very intense, and he looks actually kind of befuddled, which is something we don't see Michael.
Speaker 1: Look very right. He's conflicted, but confused and overwhelmed.
Speaker 2: It's because this has built up.
Speaker 5: It's been weeks now, and you know, we've seen him in scenes and it's kind of building up, and he knows it's coming to it's getting too hard to turn back. I mean what she's confessing, there's a tattoo on me somewhere and I'm you know, wanting you. And they're sitting together on this bunk bed eating sandwiches, and right his intimacy is really growing.
Speaker 2: So he's like, oh God, is this really happening.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's leaning in just enough that, you know, it allows her to continue to do it. He hasn't said no, he hasn't he hasn't given her the hand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I'm still holding out hope because he also hasn't said yes.
Speaker 2: That's so cool, that's cute.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 3: So now we're back. We're at the in the courtyard of the apartment. Matt is excited about his date. Billy crosses to his apartment where Alison is making dinner. She's nervous and excited and she's trying to make him this dinner. She's talking a mile a minute because she's all excited, and she wants to apologize for saying the thing about his boss, and they're really having She really wants to cook dinner for him, and he just.
Speaker 1: Gets up and leaves.
Speaker 4: He's got to go to work. Yeah, it isn't that sad, summer.
Speaker 2: I know, lose, you lose, Alison. You waited too long and now you're only doing it. Didn't like her shirt, and now you're only doing it. Because these women are clearly coming after him. Your little your your roommate who you like, are so not into for some reason, suddenly you are and it might be too late, you're putting.
Speaker 1: I can't even tell if Allison is aware of it. We're aware of it. I don't know if she's aware.
Speaker 5: Of it, but she oh, I think she's Oh yeah, that's a good question. Maybe it's just her subconscious like because you can see her, you know, yeah, acting like she's aware of it.
Speaker 2: But maybe she's not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think she's aware of it. She's e racing. I think she's aware of it. She's aware of it.
Speaker 4: I just have to ask a real life question here, though you guys are still dating in real life at this point in the show. Yeah, okay, yeah's clarifying thought. So I just wanted to make sure, Yeah, what's going on behind the scenes, Okay, I just want.
Speaker 2: To get clear of here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why we're sharing apparently.
Speaker 3: So now we're back at the hospital, it's nighttime, Kimberly's going to a car and Michael catches up to her, and I think he's catching up to her to break it off.
Speaker 1: What did you ladies think was happening.
Speaker 4: I don't know I was. I was just filled with inevitable ability and sort of dread, like, oh yeah, there's I mean, all we also know where it goes, so like, oh, of course, couldn't really fool myself here on what was going to happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she feels embarrassed and she's like, just you know, don't mess with me all this stuff, and then he grabs her and kisses her.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now is this is the hospital parking lot? Yeah? Well do they think people can't see out.
Speaker 3: Of the thousand windows or walking by there right outside the door of the hospital.
Speaker 4: Pretty bold, not only for two doctors working at the same hospital, but a married one at that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, I thought that was That was pretty intense. It's like, please hide somewhere. They were right out in the open. So anyway, he gets funny because.
Speaker 5: You're gonna see in a couple more scenes kind of the same dynamic with Billy's boss the one. It's the two women who have put the move on made it very clear that they want these men, regardless of if they're taken or if it's inappropriate, and what do they say.
Speaker 2: I was so embarrassed that's what kimberly saying. You know, I'm humiliated. Well that's not his problem. Why are you like manipulating him?
Speaker 3: She's humiliated because she told him that she loves him, I know, and she's letting him know.
Speaker 2: So I'm humiliated.
Speaker 1: I feel badly.
Speaker 2: You need to fix it, basically saying, oh, you did nothing wrong. Here, come here, kiss me. And I'm just pointing that out now because we're going to see that in a few scenes. Do the same thing. She says verbally, almost the same thing verbatim to Billy.
Speaker 4: But nice.
Speaker 3: So after the hospital, after they're making out, we're in a very nice restaurant with Matt and his handsome date who immediately asked if he can smoke and reveals himself to be a greedy, shallow lawyer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like all the things that Matt is not major red flags.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they red flags. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think this was the smokehouse. Did you guys RECOGNI It was like red leather boot and stuff, and I saw the bar and I was like, I thought this was a smokehouse. I made Doug watch this scene, and first of all, I said, hey, do you remember that scene that you had with Brian McNamara and he's like, no, I never had a see Brian mat He's like, no, I never had Wait a minute, yes you did. He goes, no, no, no, Brian mcnammer is somebody that, like I go up for roles, Like we see each other at auditions for the next twenty five years. We'll compete against each other for the same roles or whatever. But I never had a scene with them. I'm like, okay, sit right down, I'm going to show you that. Like here's the scene. And he's like, what restaurant is this? And then he says it's not the Smokehouse, which is like an old industry. Like everybody, you know, especially after Warner Brothers or whatever, people go to the smokehouse.
Speaker 1: It's like a place she's toast around forever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he said it wasn't. Maybe it was like Musso and Franks. I was trying to identify the red leather boom.
Speaker 3: Well, my guess is that's the inside of the restaurant we had did the outdoor scene.
Speaker 4: It it would make sense that it was the same restaurant. So I was trying to identify that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but at any rate, the guy is you know, saying, oh, I'm doing this this lights a cigarette and he goes, oh, I'm doing this environmental thing with these polluters and these companies, right, and then Matt's like, oh, I know these companies get away with murder.
Speaker 2: They just put it all over the place. He's like, that's why I'm representing.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm defending, actually represent those big guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Bye, And he also says to Matt, we thought you should have sued him, and That's like, well, that wasn't the point.
Speaker 1: I really wanted to work with the kids. He's like, yeah, you could have made a fortune. Yeah. They're not on the same page.
Speaker 4: Not on the same page, so disappointing, but the date's not gonna.
Speaker 3: So speaking of not on the same page, we go back to Michael and Jane's apartment and gorgeous Jane is cooking dinner and trying to seduce Michael, which again you're just like, do you not have eyes or ears? And Michael looks at her beautiful chicken she's cooking and says, that's going to take forever.
Speaker 1: I'm going to bed.
Speaker 2: She has candles lit, she has a beautiful like we need to be closer, and oh, that's.
Speaker 4: Like ikey, and yeah, not good, I don't know, not good.
Speaker 5: Really putting yourself out there and forward and making that effort, you know, and trying to care for your partner.
Speaker 1: And he's just like, I gotta go, you know.
Speaker 3: And she's so sweet and gorgeous, and we're so annoyed with him. We're back to being annoyed with him. M So now we're back to escapade. Speaking of women trying to have sex with men, Billy's boss is coming on very strong and asked him to rub her shoulders.
Speaker 4: And when the scene opened, it was like are they in a hotel room or restaurant? Where is this? Because it was like, you know, like it was couch, like dim lighting and whatever. And she leads them over to the couch and then I see as the as the shot opened up it was her office, but she's got the couch in her office and she's couch.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't know where is where?
Speaker 1: I don't not going, but there is a joke there, just f yi.
Speaker 4: Yuh yeah.
Speaker 1: So he says no to having sex.
Speaker 3: With her, and she says, while we're at it, why don't we just forget your promote as well, which.
Speaker 1: Is pretty dark.
Speaker 5: Wait a second, hold on, did you guys say that she actually does the deed?
Speaker 4: Well, she does. She she turns sho massage.
Speaker 2: Like okay, then he massages her and then she like whips around and lunges at him. Yeah you know, and uh anyway, yeah.
Speaker 3: So then he's like uh no, yeah, and then his fears are realized when she renigs on the promotion, which is so bad. So then we're back at the apartment outside and Ronda asks him out about his date and she pressures him to give the guy a chance, and Matt of course gets defensive, which is valid, don't you think.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I like that scene. I really I liked the way he was saying, what you think I should just sleep with a guy because it's because he's the first guy that comes along, and you think that's you think that's how I You think that's what I do, And you think that's what I do because I'm gay, Like what you know? No, that bugs me. I liked that dynam in the scene of firsting. I just I just wanted you to have a good time, and you know, like I thought she was super sweet and and he was super justified and seeing what he felt like I just thought it was a nice scene. There was not a bad guy in the scene.
Speaker 2: I don't think there was a bad guy either.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, you know, like bring that into real life, you know, and you want to you would want to tell a friend.
Speaker 2: Stay open, stay open, give it another chance.
Speaker 5: Maybe you know, maybe this isn't like the whatever that you usually go for, but it's just an innocent, try to stay open friend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which I will say that Doug couldn't remember having a scene with Brian McNamara, but he did remember that shirt he was wearing when he comes out and he's carrying the turquoise lunder basket, but he's got like this another like printed shirt on and his jean jacket tied around his waist because he might need his jean jacket on the way to the laundry room, so you better tie it around your waist.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So that's funny, that's very cute.
Speaker 4: Why do we remember, like, oh I remember that weird Sure there were, but I can't remember my seeing partner.
Speaker 3: So we're back in Billy and Allison's apartment and Allison is maniacally telling Billy about her new work plan.
Speaker 1: She's super like this.
Speaker 3: And this and this, and then I'm gonna and then I'm gonna that, and finally notices that Billy is upset, and he admits that he got demoted after ejecting his boss. And just for the record, Allison is now wearing a gargantuan white scrunchy like it must have wrapped around her seven times.
Speaker 4: It was I don't know what they deal with the big scrunchy. They were Gilman.
Speaker 1: That was very, very nineties. So it's very sad that he admits that.
Speaker 3: And Allison says we can do something, we can get a lawyer, which I was like, oh, she's in like marriage mode.
Speaker 1: He is not.
Speaker 3: Sadly there they're lines of crossed. So now we're back in Jane and Michael's apartment and Jane, of course, being loving and adorable, comes up behind him while he's shaving and invites him to lunch at her studio because it's his day off, and he says he has to go check on.
Speaker 1: Some Patience.
Speaker 2: Always excuses with him.
Speaker 4: There's like blows her off from latent lie. And I thought that that shot in the mirror was really lovely, like he's he's got a close up. He's shaving his own face, which I thought, he's if he has to do it over and over again, he's just going to shave that same spot for matching, right, because like just get the shaving cream right back there and just do that again, just the one spot.
Speaker 2: But yeah, but he's shaving.
Speaker 4: She comes up and yeah, I just thought it was a cool of her joining him, like off the back mirror, and then she turns and joins him in the front.
Speaker 2: But what I thought was he's shaving if it's his day off. That's not when men shave. That's when they don't shave because they don't have to go in. But he is not going to stick around and hang around. He's going. Isn't this where he said?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he said he still has to go into work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And when Gane leaves for work, he immediately calls kimberly.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's what happens. He immediately says, I need to see you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. And I'm still thinking he's definitely going to break it off now. I mean, so, I remember when.
Speaker 5: Josie was on with us and she was like, I think she was commenting on how it was frustrating at times to keep playing this pushover, you know, that, and this is it. This is an episode an example of that where you know, he's shaving and I have a day off, but I'm gonna look good and leave you. And no, I can't have dinner, even though I see the candles that you've in the dinner that you've made.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, And she doesn't get mad. E her frustrating.
Speaker 3: She's such a catch, and so I quite eternally patient and horny Jane because she's just and she always wants and maybe because she can't quite have him.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 4: I also think they're trying to make him a bad guy at this point, right, they had decided, oh, he needs to turn into Yeah, so he's doing he's doing bad guy stuff for sure. Yeah he is.
Speaker 3: So we're back at Escapade magazine and Billy confronts Nancy and quits and says, you know, I really thought I could. I really loved write I liked it here. I wanted to learn from you. And Nancy, who's his boss, does a very female thing and admits to her part and apologizes. I wrote like a woman, like, I just think that that's I can't see a man doing that exactly.
Speaker 4: I wrote down the same note like this scenario with the genders reversed would never never happen. You know, You're right, I really shouldn't have done that, and I'm embarrassed. Let me give you your job back like that may except no one ever said, no man ever except for yeah, except for Nancy does. And it's great because he totally called her out too. He's like, you know, you're this was a power play. This was not about me. This was just you trying to wield your power. And I think that's pathetic. And she goes, you know, you're right that stuff like this happened to me, and I guess I was just trying to you know, turn the tables, and you're right, that sucks.
Speaker 2: It was very you got to see because she was a woman.
Speaker 5: You really got to see like, uh, you know what it would be like and the truth and just a great human conversation between them and having accountability for your actions. And she said, you know, I've put up with this my whole climb of the ladder, and I just wanted to give it a go and see if I could do it, you know, take advantage of him. And but I'm sorry, and you know, it was just very cool to that that it was that the writers.
Speaker 1: Made it a woman so we could see, Yeah, she really took responsibility.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So now we are back at Kimberly's apartment. She's clearly nervous. Michael comes over.
Speaker 1: She offers him a very sexy lunch of tuna fish which.
Speaker 4: Salads was come on and a bottom of line just as effort. Yeah, and then well he walks in the door and they just immediately start kissing. He can't even wait till he's all the way.
Speaker 3: In the door. It was seeing the tuna that made him horny. I'm like, what, that's the least sexy lunch I've ever seen.
Speaker 5: I don't know, well, what it was romantic I wrote down was that she looks all pretty in her hairs up kind offul stuft and all that, and she's wearing a loose velvet top, which is very sexy back then and then he like throws her down right on.
Speaker 4: Top of that tuna, solid on table.
Speaker 2: Like, he doesn't move to the side, he doesn't throw her on the bed or the sofa or any other surface.
Speaker 4: We're assuming that they're lying down on top of the knee lunch right now. We just set out slowered her gently you see the green beats.
Speaker 2: Under her shoulder. Okay, it's so unsexy. It's disgusting, that's what it is.
Speaker 4: And I was like, was this one of.
Speaker 5: Those situations where they were somehow inhibited by the set or the time and they couldn't like relight over onto some other area.
Speaker 3: I think it was supposed to show that they just couldn't wait, like you're so hot for each other, yep, we're doing it right here, to do it.
Speaker 2: On a salad the frame brought in that salad and you're just like, this is so un sexy. You just ruined it.
Speaker 4: But it is the episode out. I mean, that is the story, right is like this is happening, and it has happening right now, and right.
Speaker 3: Still, I'd like to say, I still believe that he might just stop and really tell her he's in love with Jane.
Speaker 4: I felt that, you want to believe that. It's like you weren't ever on the show.
Speaker 1: But you were about her. I feel good about it, Laura.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 5: I think because he grabbed her and threw her up onto the table with the salad.
Speaker 2: NISI underneath and on the plates that are about to go crunch and crash and gross. I think that maybe Jesie has a chance.
Speaker 1: That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Really good about It's really good about it. So that was a super good episode, wasn't it. Things are moving now, We're really really moving fast into the Melrolle Rosie.
Speaker 1: We know and love.
Speaker 4: Well, we've officially turned that corner with Thomas with Michael, making that Michael and Kimberly are have done it.
Speaker 2: There's no going back now, right, So.
Speaker 5: He's now going to have to make choices and maybe, you know, grovel to his wife.
Speaker 2: We don't know what's going to happen, but that has happened.
Speaker 5: Yes, Unlike the situation with Billy and the Boss, which is so grown up and mature.
Speaker 2: She's like, I take accountability. I'm sorry. That wasn't fair, and he's like, you throw it an apology and you got a deal.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was like, Billy, don't push it.
Speaker 3: When he said that, I was like, just take your win, just take your win and get your Yeah, humiliate.
Speaker 1: Her more, I know. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean it's like she was apologizing already and he just yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: But it's really it made me at the same time, while I'm watching, does you guys, just feel for all all.
Speaker 6: The situations where it was reversed, you know, where it was the guy in the power position, and he just hasn't done this, just at least.
Speaker 2: In the stories that we see and hear and live through.
Speaker 1: That's not how it goes.
Speaker 5: Nobody says, nobody takes accountability and go, you know what, I shouldn't have done that.
Speaker 1: I had the power.
Speaker 2: I'm older than you I have I'm your boss, you know, and here's and here's your sorry.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So anyway, so great episode, Yeah, super fun and back for twenty nine.
Speaker 4: Are you guys resisting the urge to like hit play on one more episodes? Like when you watch an episode, you're you're turning it off? Right, You're not?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: A couple of times.
Speaker 1: I really want to find a way to watch the last one together. I always do that. Yeah, let's do that.
Speaker 2: We should.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but are we gonna watch it together and take our own notes?
Speaker 4: Of course we all have thoughts, right, well.
Speaker 1: Watch you together and not talk to each other?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: No, zip it, as Courtney likes to say, don't.
Speaker 1: Save it for the camera. Save it for the camera.
Speaker 2: I don't think we can get it if we're all in the same room.
Speaker 5: I think we wouldn't get through any of it. I think we would not have an episode for the podcast. Yeah, got together to do it, right it.
Speaker 1: I think it's worth trying. The last one will be the last one.
Speaker 2: So this is twenty eight, right, so.
Speaker 4: We have twenty nine. We got to get to thirty two for the end of the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, four more, four more recaps and a couple more guests and a few more guests. Super exciting.
Speaker 4: I look forward to the next because we know some big stuff's going to happen.
Speaker 3: And yeah, because it's going to be the scene when Michael tells Kimberly he just can't do it and he loves it and he apologizes.
Speaker 1: Pretty sure that's coming on.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty sure. Yeah, sure, that's probably He's probably right for it. All right, Well, we'll have to tune in on the next recap, Jess, we will, all right, Thanks everybody for listening.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, so good to see you as always. Always gets go by Hi.
Speaker 5: Yes,