Speaker 1: Wind Down with Jane Kramer and I'm Heeart Radio podcast.
Speaker 2: So this week's adult education, We've got Tyas Gibson coming on. She you know, she was just on Jay Schetty's podcast, So I feel very lucky that we got her. I love a little Jayshetty, and I love anyone that he loves. Yeah, And I love someone that helps with cheating. I love someone through that with people. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love the attainability of being able to do it at home.
Speaker 2: She's got a course and it is working through this cheating epidemic, exploring why infidelity, betrayal, jealousy, and trust issues have become so common in modern relationships. If you are dealing with that, hopefully she's going to break it down for us. So is this true that forty percent of people have cheated on their partner with a coworker? When I read that, I really went deep back into like corporate days. Right, there's like a lot of I'm the waitressing days.
Speaker 3: I get yelled at for this socials, but I've been through enough trauma that I feel like can loosely use these terms and try to be funny. It's part of the dark humor, But like there's a lot of trauma bonding in the corporate world where you're like in it for the long days and you're you know, only you know what it's like to have that crappy boss and all the things, and so it doesn't really shock me that it's forty percent. I guess I just hoped it to be a little better.
Speaker 2: I just wish that is cheating members rising or falling.
Speaker 1: So it's rising slightly, but it's not rising very quickly. And cheating is something that is happening because of very specific reasons. So when I work with people, you know, I've had thousands of conversations at this point as to why people cheat, and other than this, ten percent of people who it's a pathological issue of sex addiction, narcissistic personality disorder, antisocial personality disorder.
Speaker 4: Ninety percent of.
Speaker 1: People who do cheat, Okay, they end up cheating because they have I'm that needs for a long period of time, they don't know how to communicate about those needs to their partner. They eventually become resentful because they go, my partner was supposed to meet my needs. I feel that they're not being met and it's not conscious, right, These are these subconscious feelings of resentment, frustration people carry, and as long as we have deeply unmet needs and then resentment, we start justifying when somebody does come along and offers to meet those needs. So, for example, if somebody felt really unseen by their partner because their partner's not very present anymore, not curious about them, not asking them questions. And then we have somebody come into the workplace, for example, that you're trauma bonded with. Perhaps who's sitting there going, who's sitting there going, Oh, you know, how are you feeling about our boss?
Speaker 4: What's been going on?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Do you feel this way? I feel this way?
Speaker 1: And suddenly they're making this person who for the last decade in their marriage has felt completely unseen, they make this person feel very seen. Well, now the mind starts justifying people would always follow the same path. They go, Oh, my partner doesn't care about me anyways. They never make me feel seen, so who cares that I'm starting to build this connection.
Speaker 4: It's just a text.
Speaker 1: It's fine, and it seems to always follow this very specific thread that becomes a slippery slope where people are going, okay, well, frustrated anyways, at home, then somebody meets those needs. And now that seems to be what opens the candiforms.
Speaker 2: What do you define as cheating? Oh, excellent question.
Speaker 4: So my answer is not simple.
Speaker 1: I truly believe cheating has to be an individuated discussion between two people, because we'll have some people and I mean, you can just look at the scope of the types of relationships that exist nowadays, where some people are polyamorous and some people are very loyal. You know, I myself tend to be a little bit more on the side of of you know, any kind of emotional affair would absolutely be cheating, and other people that I've had conversations with say, oh, well, if it's just an emotional affair, it's really the physical part that counts, and of course we'd have to work through it. But if somebody's just saying that they have feelings, it's not as big of a deal. So it really I've had so many conversations with people along such a continuum of answers to that question that I always say to people, when you get into a long term relationship, if you're going to come to somebody, have that conversation immediately. As soon as you're having this commitment conversation.
Speaker 4: Good.
Speaker 1: What does commitment mean to you? If we're going to be committed, does that mean like what's off the table? What's on the table. Let's have a really clear conversation. Because another thing I saw so often is that people would come in and they would have an emotional affair on their partner. Come in when I was working in my private practice and say, but it was just an emotional affair, it wasn't cheating, and their partner would say no, No, an emotional affair is absolutely cheating. And they had never defined those boundaries. And because they didn't define them, then the person who did the cheating would turn around and say, well, if I had known that, I never would have done it.
Speaker 3: Well, that feels a little guest lady.
Speaker 2: I have a follow up to that too, And then I want to pose you a question to KB.
Speaker 5: But this feels a little unsafe, but within so because I have a very strong opinion about this question that I'm asking you.
Speaker 2: But when someone breaks that either emotional that cheats, whether it's emotionally or physically, do you think couples can survive that cheating scandal?
Speaker 1: Okay, So I spent a lot of time working with people on this, and again it's a slightly different there tends to be almost like one way or the other. So about fifty percent of people you'll see they just say, nope, non negotiable, don't want to work through it, wouldn't even bother, don't want to be looking over my shoulder.
Speaker 4: And I very much respect that. Now. A lot of times that group of.
Speaker 1: People also, not that this is the only reason, but a lot of times there are usually people who are not necessarily married, have a mortgage, have young children.
Speaker 4: It's just a non negotiable.
Speaker 2: And when you don't have exactly.
Speaker 4: And so I understand that it's different for different people.
Speaker 1: I probably myself would lead a little more that direction, with things a little more cut and dry, because of my own childhood experiences.
Speaker 4: Everybody's so unique.
Speaker 1: A lot of couples that I've worked with are sitting there and a lot of people are saying no, no, no, we would definitely work through it. I believe that there's one way only to work through cheating, and if you don't do these steps, that you're just suppressing how you felt and you're not actually fixing things.
Speaker 4: And if you're doing that, you're always looking over your shoulder.
Speaker 3: Why do I feel like my heart and my stomach or something like it?
Speaker 2: Because there's steps the trauma. Yeah, but what are the steps?
Speaker 1: Okay, So here's the first steps. And it's not for the faint of heart. I'll just forewarn you.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's okay.
Speaker 1: Because people go through and get cheated on because of unmet needs and not communicating those unmet needs. Then they end up the subconscious mind is the needs meeting machine. It's going to find ways to get our needs met. The person who did the cheating, it's on them. They didn't communicate their needs, then they looked outside of the relationship it is. It is absolutely on them. But the person who gets cheated on when they don't have context for why their partner or spouse cheated and then they try to rebuild trust, it's like asking them to blindly trust. You don't know the root cause of why the person cheated. So now when you're just trying to work through it, you're supposed to close your eyes and hope that everything is going to be okay and get back in there. No, people really need context for healing. So it's not for the faint of heart. We start people who get cheated on and they have to literally air everything it made them feel. This is how it affected me, These are my fears. Now, these are the things that they're going to come up in the future, and the person who did the cheating they have to come up with strategies to help repair. So it has to be like more transparency, more context until trust is a lot more repaired. Maybe you have to say where you're going all the time, maybe your path, where it's off your phone, maybe there's you know, actual things you can agree upon, and the person who did the cheating has to really hear and take in and be present with and validate that person's feelings and experiences. Now, this is where it gets interesting.
Speaker 2: That is hard for the person that has done the cheating because they're so in their shame that they get either defensive or they don't like that it's brought up because they're exactly they're dealing with their own shame around it and their own, you know, their own feelings, and so that's why I feel like that's always been the trickiest piece.
Speaker 1: Yes, but it also tells you a lot about the cheater because if they can't do that, are you going to really want to trust them long term in a relationship. I mean that we have to be able to do the work and repair. And I always tell people who get cheated on vet how they respond to that part. You take a look and watch how they respond, because it's going to tell you a lot about the potential future of the relationship. The flip side of this is where it gets really interesting, which is then the person who got cheated on has to hear their partners why. And I always tell people in advance it's not going to feel good and it's their fault for not communicating to what their unmet needs were. Absolutely, but unless you hear the why and then you actually have steps to repair for that as well, then the person who got cheated on, they're being asked to blindly trust and.
Speaker 4: They think, oh, my partner cheated, they could just cheat again.
Speaker 1: It's almost like a game of Russian roulette rather than actually hearing. Okay, I didn't know how to ask you, but physical affection is my love language. I needed to be more touchy feely. I wasn't getting that. Whatever it might be, there's many different situations. Somebody feels unseen, they didn't feel protected, they felt unheard, they didn't feel like they were a priority, whatever those situations are. If that person who cheated doesn't do the work to go inwards, figure out what those unmet needs.
Speaker 4: Were, share it in a non blaming way, and then.
Speaker 1: Actually request for steps for reparation to bridge that gap so they're actually working on these things together, then instead the person's just feeling like they're always.
Speaker 4: Looking over their shoulder.
Speaker 1: And so both people have to talk about what happened when they got cheated on and were what are my unmet needs now and how do we repair for those And they have to be seen and heard and their emotions validated. And then the person doing the cheating has to say, here's the root cause that I wasn't sharing, that I wasn't communicating. Can we work to repair that? And it gives the person who is cheated on a sense of control because they go, Okay, well, now I know if we're working on these root cause issues together, at least I know that that was the reason that you cheated. Now we communicate openly, and now we're preventing that in advance. And what's really important is when you look at secure people in relationships, people who report about a fifty percent group of people who report rarely ever even considering cheating. They're the least likely to cheat in relationships, and the report that being the most fulfilled in relationships on an ongoing basis. And these are an anonymous polls. These are not through you know, people saying in front of their partner, right, this is their their truth. This group of people, what they do very effectively in relationships is they talk about their needs to each other regularly and check in and work to bridge strategies and gaps to meet each other's needs. And if they're unmet, they feel comfortable being vulnerable and talking about it. And that's the antidote to infidelity in my opinion, other than that subgroup of people who struggle with infidelity because of pathological reasons like narcissistic personality disorder.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you think once a cheat are always a cheater?
Speaker 4: No? I like it, I truly do not. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the reason is I've seen it persthand and worked with so many people firsthand. And once a cheater, always a cheater applies if somebody's not doing.
Speaker 2: The work, Yeah, a hundred percent. Yeah, yeah, yeah, because I mean that would be like me saying, because I mean, I cheated in my past, but I had so much in my twenties, you know that I didn't know how to do it. But now I couldn't even like ome my.
Speaker 3: Yead like the stomachache I get if like yeah, long guide text me one off to be like, is Monday better than Tuesday for the when I'm like blood group text yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And so that's and you know, some people have like a predisposition because of their conditioning and their upbringing to being to valuing loyalty very strongly. Usually actually people who went through a substantial amount of early childhood trauma, they really put loyalty at a high value. And so we have people who will wait things differently. But at the root it's kind of irrelevant in the long run, because you can have extremely loyal people with a lot of trauma and then they still may very well stray and that's because they're trying to regulate and soothe and get their needs met and don't know how to communicate. But truly that like gold standard, as if you've done the work so you know how to communicate openly and be vulnerable, you know what your needs are. And now both people in a relationship, talk about needs, freequent, and share and are vulnerable with one another, then you're very unlikely to see cheating in long term relationships.
Speaker 2: I guess that's why it surprised me then, because I feel like our generation is a lot more. We communicate more, we have boundaries, we say what we you know, what we want and need and feel. That's why I guess I'm surprised that there's an uptick in cheating because I would just be like, this is what's happening, and if this doesn't change them out, you know, as opposed to finding a connection with someone elsewhere.
Speaker 3: Do you think it's easier now because of social media?
Speaker 1: That's exactly right, That's what the data shows. Are is just going to say that. That's why. So where we have this this benefit of the fact that you know, we are communicating more, people are becoming more conscious and aware of what's going on in there in our world and reality, and you know, these kinds of conversations are much more mainstream nowadays. It's excellent, but we've also had that met with this. You know, you can find somebody very quickly. There's this sort of short term gratification dynamic out there where if something's not working, now we do see the uprise. The uptick in cheating tend to skew very strongly, and it's a small uptick, but it's skews strongly from that small eptick in general to people who are not in marriages, so just people who are committed relationships who wouldgreate on being monogamous. But then you know, we seem to see that they're I think they're very much being targeted by social media. It's like, oh, if something's not working, maybe I'm sort of on my way out of a relationship anyway, So okay, I'm just on a dating app now briefly, or oh I'm just gonna The convenience factor is also offsetting the fact that people are becoming more conscious and aware.
Speaker 3: And there's so much secrecy too with social media, Like you know, there's vanish mode and there's snapchat where things just go away and there's no evidence. So I feel like it just enables people that want to do that a little bit more, which I hate.
Speaker 1: But and that's a big vetting question, Like to be honest, what you know, what I always tell people to look for when they're looking for secure partners is early on, when you're dating somebody in the first six months and getting to know them, or if you're working on reparation after.
Speaker 2: Having a baby relationship, Well, you see here, doctor, our timeline the vetting was like a little bit like opposite day for us, and so we vetted after. But that's okay.
Speaker 1: But that's okay because you can still bet and make sure that somebody is in there and doing the work and willing to communicate.
Speaker 2: But what is the vetting process?
Speaker 4: Say you're going to do it, do it right? Okay?
Speaker 1: Great question Number one? Are we doing a weekly needs check in? Are we both aware of what our needs are that make us feel loved and connected? And are we checking it on a weekly basis with it that should be a non negotiable and every relationship. In my opinion, the half an hour conversation it takes over Sunday dinner once a week saves you hours of unnecessary arguments and drama and challenge, and so it's really important people learn what they actually need and not to go too far down the tangent there. But people's needs are very different and as a set point, we all tend to love people according to our needs. So you could take somebody in a relationship who wants to feel seen and they try to be very present with their partner and make them feel seen. But maybe they're partner is a novelty person and they like to explore together and that's how they feel loved. And so if we're just loving people on autopilot, we're usually loving people through our own programming and it may not even reach your land with another person properly. So it's the thing that sustains relationships the most long term is what are our needs and do we know how to articulate them to one another? And actually vetting Step number two becomes do we see effort? Because if you're just communicating but then somebody's well, yeah, i'll meet your need. We'll all be more present one day when I'm not so busy, but they don't actually come and put in the work and take those action steps. Then that's a really important and meaningful red flag. If your needs are not met now just by communicating them, there's a very high chance that they're not ever going to be met. Somebody is not willing to take that step of effort. And then the other thing that we really want to make sure that we're doing is seeing vulnerability in relationships. You know, if both people go into relationships, and vulnerability is a hard thing if you have a lot of trauma, but again you can be doing the work and overcome that. And so a lot of times we see people who don't share vulnerably, and if they're not, then they're going to look to sue in other ways that are probably going to be less healthy. If we don't want to be vulnerable with our partner, then we're going to you know, get frustrated about unnecessary things that are unrelated, a form of displacing someone's anger. Like let's say they're upset that you're home late. They don't share it. They get upset that you were running late to bring the kids to school in the morning, and they get really angry about that, but it was about something the day before. If we can't communicate through problems, we have a problem. It's going to be long lasting. So those are really important things to be looking for. And if we see those things, those are generally like foundational green flags that allow relationships to function very healthily.
Speaker 2: And it's got the Personal Development School, so it includes sixty five plus courses guided exercises, live support. Do you is it meant to do with your partner or is it solo exercises or what is it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's basically we have people come in, they can take programs. So if they want to repair after rupture through cheating and fidelity, there's a program directly for that, if they want to heal their attachment patterns and relationships, it's all for your subconscious minds. What it allows you to actually rewire because a lot I think one of my bones to pick a little bit, is that right now we have a lot of people learning things consciously, but subconscious your subconscious minds responsible for ninety five percent of your choices. So unless we actually do subconscious rewiring work, that then affects the rest of our nervous system. We just intellectualize information all the time, we may not really get the results. So the Personal Development school is built for that. You can do it on your own or with the partner, and there's just different program tracks that you can come in by taking a survey what am I struggling with the most, and then it will pop out recommendations for you and then you can go on those tracks accordingly.
Speaker 2: I love you.
Speaker 3: I really wish you were right here, and I honestly wish Preston and I could come have a seat on your couch. Yeah, no like drama, but just like even the weekly check ins. Yeah that's He's not a super thing that.
Speaker 2: Alan and I do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's not the most like vulnerable human, So I have to really really dig in, like that's one of my questions I have. And we do not have to spend time on this really, but you know, like I know, physical touch leads for him, and physical touch used to lead for me, but now I'm a mom of three, so I'm a little touched out sometimes, like in the sweetest way, but I don't often go like, wow, I have ten seconds of not being touched, I can't wait to touch someone else. I feel you on that, by the way, And I had to explain that to Alan the other day because he like he playfully will like grab my butt. But when I'm not in the mood or if I'm like doing five million things, I'm like please like and then I'm like, well why, But I want him to feel like he can still touch me, and I want that not in the right like but not maybe while I'm making like a PB and J yeah right or something. We're just like we're being called mom mom, like yeah, and then all of a sudden, it's just like it's okay, I work here.
Speaker 2: That's how I feel.
Speaker 3: I'm like I work for everyone.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: But also I love this lap on the ass because we're flirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's like how do you how do you do that?
Speaker 4: So there's a two part thing happening.
Speaker 1: So part one is that when you're constantly on the go, on the move, you're usually in sympathetic nervous system a lot. And when you have your young kids and they're buying for your attention and you're you have these nineteen things to do on your checklist, you we don't tend to actually be super responsive to physical touch.
Speaker 4: Especially with women, when we're in fight or flight mode.
Speaker 1: When we're're in like, let's go mode and so our cortisol is elevated, we're not really going to enjoy touch's action. A nervous system piece there. And there's a second part to those which we'll come to. But but in the nervous system piece, I found that often if we have healthy habits for connections, so if we know Okay, your your partner loves touch, then let's do like a nervous system regulation activity in the evening first for ten minutes, and then we're doing that together, and now we're a lot more comparis sympathetic, We're open to enjoying touch, and then we have a habit of cling up on the couch together or doing something that's engaging those needs.
Speaker 4: The other side of it is sometimes we can do a needs exchange.
Speaker 1: So sometimes when you are not, for example, being pulled in you know, or both of you not being pulled in so many different directions because you now have your needs met a little bit more for support, Like maybe it's Tuesday evening and your partner or spouse is going to be the one with the kids for the next couple hours. You get to come back to yourself, get back in your body slowed down. Well, Now that you've got your need met for support and somebody's sharing some of the priorities there with the kids, now you're really open to touch, and now Tuesday night can be the night that you have carved out time to be more romantic together and do something it's more physically affectionate.
Speaker 4: But it starts with maybe your.
Speaker 1: Needs being met first for support in that case, so we can either do a needs exchange and get clear about what that exchange would be, or we can just recognize that maybe our nervous system's overfiring a little bit and we can have a healthy have it in the evening to slow down, reregulate, and then make more time for touch afterwards as a result.
Speaker 2: That makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 3: We talked to so many people on here with your similar kind of background, and I just have to say, I don't know what it is about you specifically, but you're just wildly refreshing for me. I don't know if it is how simple you make it feel. It's not oversimplified, it's not dumbing it down, but it's just I think, very validating or something. You're just a real gem.
Speaker 2: Where can our listeners find you?
Speaker 1: So I'm at Personaldevelopment School dot com and people can go and take a relationship assessment there see how their relationship's doing, what their patterns might be. But I'm also on YouTube which is ty S gibson Dash Personal Development School or on Instagram at the Personal Development School and lovely, you guys are amazing.
Speaker 2: I read how much I'm finding you right now, I think validated. I appreciate you for coming on.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: And everyone get the Personal Developments School because it is going to transform your relationship.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much.