Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club Cowboys. This is Nick Shot screaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys apt now Here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 2: Go Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This will get you fired up.
Speaker 2: From the home opener on Sunday at noon at at and T Stadium as a tour passes by the s WBC podcast studio on their way presumably.
Speaker 3: To AT and T Stadium for the noon kickoff against the New Orleans Saints. It's a fabulous football Friday here Bill Jones with Mickey Spagnola. And as we said yesterday, Everson he called in second hand. That's right, Everson not here today, but we do have his picks and we will have our picks at the end of the show as well. And we do have football players on a football field for a walk through Friday today.
Speaker 4: Walk through Friday. This is sort of the easy day, and then they'll have their last practice tomorrow. I almost forgot. I saw all these tours today and it's like, oh, it's a home game.
Speaker 3: Uh huh, that's right. People care early, come in on a Friday and take the tour of the Star in Frisco. Go to a rally day tomorrow and the Star Sports right, what time is that?
Speaker 4: Everson and I will be there at one fifteen half hour at the Omni Hotel?
Speaker 3: Can people just show up for that or do you well, they.
Speaker 4: Can buy they can buy a ticket for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and how where do you do that?
Speaker 4: Probably on Star Sports store the website.
Speaker 3: All right, are you good?
Speaker 4: And I'm sure they would figure out something if you.
Speaker 3: Just walk up. Yep, there you go. So walk ups are welcome.
Speaker 4: And they have depending on what level ticket you buy, there's usually five players there signing autograph.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, yeah, and again what time again on Saturday?
Speaker 4: One? Emerson I start and then when we're finished, the players come in and sign autograph?
Speaker 3: And where should people show up?
Speaker 4: At the Omni at the Omni Hotel? Right next door?
Speaker 3: Okay? Right here at the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 4: Second floor. There's not a big sign.
Speaker 3: What will be a beautiful ninety eight degree day the Tostitos Championship plaza.
Speaker 4: Here I was reading something.
Speaker 5: What was it was?
Speaker 4: In the the Times? Picky you on New Orleans and they had their breakdown of the game, and then it got to the weather. I said, yeah, there's no weather, but I think they wanted to point out that purpose. It was ninety eight degrees outside. Uh huh, seventy two yeap at kickoff.
Speaker 3: And by the way, the Cowboys will be looking for their seventeenth straight regular season home win. That's pretty amazing.
Speaker 4: That and the fact that they're over the winning streak. The combined score differential or maybe it was just last year seventeen and a half point.
Speaker 3: I was going to say it's a lot too a little.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, seventeen and a half point.
Speaker 3: So whatever they are doing is working on these home games, yes, and going on two years. The last time the Cowboys lost a home regular season game was against Tampa Bay and the season opener two years ago.
Speaker 4: Right right, And maybe maybe sleeping in their own beds is a a difference maker because they started that, I want to say last year. Maybe because they would always rather players come to the hotel, spend the night and then to go to the game. They started letting them sleep in their beds and then just show up in the morning.
Speaker 3: So they what their schedule is the night before a home game is they'll meet here yep, and then take me through it.
Speaker 4: And I believe they were there eligible to have dinner, and then they have their meetings and they usually finish the meetings around eight thirty nine o'clock. So you got a choice of sleeping in the hotel or going home.
Speaker 3: You do have a choice. Ken Y can sleep at the team hotel. I would imagine guys.
Speaker 4: Would kids probably sleep That's exactly right, Yeah, depending their age plus.
Speaker 3: Plus the other thing is they it just makes it easier too. They do have team buses that go from here, or you can drive drive vehicle your car.
Speaker 4: When you're done and you don't have to come all the way back here. You can just head home. Or if somebody came there to watch the game with you, you can leave with them, leave with them. So yeah, so that's kind of what their schedule is. But they will have a practice tomorrow. Usually it's around the new hour.
Speaker 3: I just thought of a great marketing idea to make some money here.
Speaker 4: For us for.
Speaker 3: Rides home for the players. How much would a fan pay to give Micah Parsons a ride home after a game?
Speaker 4: How much would they have to do?
Speaker 3: It's like a Cowboys Uber. Okay, it's a Cowboys uber marketing plan, okay, where you can pay what X amount of money and give up Cowboys player a ride home after the game.
Speaker 4: If you lose, can you back out?
Speaker 3: It's just just a thought, just a thought out there, okay, all right, get us up to speed on what we need to know. And by the way, how about we open up the phone lines. Since we don't have Everson, right, how about we get the opinions of some fans out there on this Friday before the home.
Speaker 4: Get a third voice here? That's right, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 3: So do you remember the phone number eight eight eight.
Speaker 4: Eight five five two two.
Speaker 3: No, no, hold on, you finished it for me eight eight eight eight five five two two two nine seven.
Speaker 4: I thought it was two six ninety seven.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna do it again. Eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven.
Speaker 6: All right, he spells out talk Cowboys.
Speaker 3: It spells out Talk Cowboys, ELK Supreme. If we want a third voice, we could just have Producer Supreme join.
Speaker 5: Join us in.
Speaker 4: Okay, in there, Mickey's probably like he's good.
Speaker 3: So Mickey, your choice fans or Producer Supreme? What do you think both?
Speaker 5: Oh? Both?
Speaker 4: How about that.
Speaker 3: Wow, you want to make you feel bad, all right, So bring us up to speed on what's going on injury wise that he get into this one.
Speaker 4: Well, the good news is that Marshawn Neelan, who did not practice with a calf injury on Wednesday, practiced on a limited basis on Thursday, and from what I can tell, it looks like, well it's a walk through today, so it's only an estimation, but I got a feeling his limited basis yesterday. He started off with a helmet and shoulder pads on, so that bodes well for him being ready to go. Jake Ferguson still has not practiced. He has rehabbed the last couple days. I would imagine he rehabs again today and then they'll determine his game status by whatever he is or isn't doing on Saturday. But it looks like, just judging from early yesterday that you know they're preparing for schoon Maker to be the starter, preparing for Brevin Spain forward for for forward forward.
Speaker 3: Or otherwise. Notice Brevin span Ford.
Speaker 4: I wanted to get the span right right.
Speaker 3: No you didn't, you got it Spain.
Speaker 4: I was so concentrating on that forwards forward as the second tight end, and I think they're just going to I mean, I don't know what elevations they're going to have to make at other spots, but just use the full back a little bit more on lip key on lipkey in different areas, you know, in blocking assignments and things like that. So we'll see how that one turns out. John Stevens really still hasn't done anything, so we'll see where that one goes if he's ready. The Saints very interesting. They're starting rookie left tackle Fuaga did not practice yet. He went from limited to not practicing.
Speaker 3: I saw that.
Speaker 4: And also their starting cornerback Marshawn Lattimore, it's got a hip hamstring and he hasn't practiced the past two days now. I don't know if they're just trying to get him to the game or not, but that sounds pretty significant. Also, their starting defensive tackle Kaylin Saunders has a calf injury and he has not practiced the past two days. So they got a couple of things that they're definitely monitoring. They had a couple guys that were did not practice, but I think it was more well, actually the guy that moved up from did not practice to limited was Tyron Matthew Foster Moreau, their tight end had a concussion. He went from limited to full. So they've got a couple of things that they've got a monitor two going into this game.
Speaker 3: And Mike McCarthy as a regular appearance on the fan on Friday mornings early and he said about Jake ferguson this morning, he's doing well. He did a little more yesterday. We'll see how he feels this morning and set a plan. He's getting close.
Speaker 4: Well close will be determined by tomorrow because today's just kind of a walkthrough. So how close I think will be determined. Will probably get a better idea of his status for sure, because I bet they even if he's not going to play, I don't know if they would put him as out or doubtful to leave a little bit of leeway in there.
Speaker 3: And what you're referring to is the Friday injury report exactly. The Friday Injury report is where they for the first time during the week, give a game status and typically what happens on that if you are listed as doubtful, you probably aren't going to play, right But if you are listed as questionable, you probably will play unless there's a setback in the forty eight hours before the game.
Speaker 4: And if you leave it questionable, at least they don't come checking on you like a bunch of liars.
Speaker 3: Which, by the way, I don't know whatever happened with the forty nine ers on Christian McCaffrey, because he was not listed on their injury report and like on Friday, and he wound up not playing in the game on Monday night, and so there was eyebrows raised about that.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's right, because the running back said he found out.
Speaker 3: On yeah, and after the game, the running back said he found out on Friday that he's likely going to go right, and and maybe McCaffrey.
Speaker 4: Was probably it said, I never said he was.
Speaker 3: McCaffrey was probably on the injury report, but wasn't listed as questionable or doubtful, didn't have a game status that's associated with it. And usually, and because you can't, several of the players on there will not have a game status listed, and that means they're going, they're good to go, and if there's nothing next to them.
Speaker 4: And by the way, when I mentioned morrow, they're tight end limited with a concussion.
Speaker 3: Yep, that's a pretty bad bless it did with to a tongue of aloa and uh, thoughts and prayers are with with them with him as.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: When I was listening to someone close to the situation, I think that's four.
Speaker 4: Concussions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that documented anyway as far as concussions go. And it's amazing. Really he got through all of last season without one. It was the twenty twenty two season where he had the troubles and so and now this happens and in the second game of the year, and so we'll see what happens on that comes on the heels of him signing a four year, two hundred twelve million dollar contract in the off season.
Speaker 4: And you when a guy goes down like that and you see that hand kind.
Speaker 3: Of come up like that, it's called posturing. Now, I did hear a physician said that that just that is not an indication of the severity necessarily.
Speaker 4: So that's what happened to me, he said time.
Speaker 3: He said, that's the good news is just because your hand acts like that in the immediate aftermath, does it isn't indication that it's a more severe concussion. At least that's what he said.
Speaker 4: I don't remember seeing that on other people when they've suffered concussions. Well, but that's second time for him. Yeah, so yeah, boy, And they did not know.
Speaker 3: And prior to that, the Dolphins were struggling, and so, I mean the Bills were. In fact, two had thrown three interceptions in that game. One was returned for a touchdown by a guy at South Oak Cliff High School, Aaron Dallas JaMarcus Ingram. And the Bills, you know, even though they've had to you know, they lost Stefan Diggs and others off their team, they've they seem ready to go at the beginning of the season.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 3: And they continue a mastery of Miami too. What if they've won like eleven out of twelve times or something like that against them. So so anyway, we got a lot to get to and uh, we'll open up the phone lines for you eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven as we get you ready for the Cowboys and the Dolphins here on mix shots in just a moment.
Speaker 7: Hey, Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: But lately I've been learning a new game.
Speaker 5: Crypto sound confusing.
Speaker 7: Don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 3: Prescott keats it slides for the first down.
Speaker 7: Invest like your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto with blockchain dot Com perfect.
Speaker 3: Throw my goodness, wow did.
Speaker 5: He ever thread the needle?
Speaker 7: Visit blockchain dot Com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 1: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 8: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Light is brewed to be less feeling. What are you doing here? Miller Lite tastes great. Look, I'm just reading the script. It says less Phil.
Speaker 3: That's not what my script says.
Speaker 8: Hell mindset.
Speaker 9: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers Little Lighters in fact less filling and taste great. I'm vishine legal guy, Celebrate responsibly. Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousand, three point d grams carvers for cloth bounces fewer cousond cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 10: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. Want to stay at the Team Hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x'es and o's with me Everson Walls With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor and combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 5: To MiCT shuts.
Speaker 4: Rally Days presented by seat Geek give NFL fans an experience of a lifetime the day prior to Dallas Cowboys home games on September fourteenth, Enjoy activities at the Miller Lite House, get behind the scenes tours of AT and T Stadium and more. Visit attstadium dot com Slash Rally days for more information and get your tickets today.
Speaker 3: All right, very good, And we need to liven things up here on mix since Eversin is not here, and we're going to do it this way. We're going to the phone lines. Lines are open, and we've got Cythia in Laredo first up here on Mixed Shots. Hello Cynthia, how are you good?
Speaker 12: Afternoon guys. And it's not Cincia in Laredo. It's Cinthia from Laredo.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm not in Laredo right now. You're from Laredo though, I.
Speaker 12: Live in San Antonio right now.
Speaker 3: All right, very good, cowboy.
Speaker 12: Actually actually converse you know where convers.
Speaker 3: Converse Judson the Judson Rockets.
Speaker 12: I live up the stadium, a couple of blocks in the stadium.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 3: I used to work in San Antonio. It's a good place.
Speaker 12: Awesome, Yep. Long time, okay, guys. I just wanted to say, well, I've been trying to get on the show for a long long time. I finally got in and I wanted just to say and I know he's not out there. Maybe he's listening, but every sudden. I got to meet him last year at the tailgate party against the Giants, so and him and Haley, and I was so excitic because I've been a coupley with man for sixty years. Okay, so it was awesome, best day of my life, taught me. But anyway, I just really wanted to call in and say thank you guys for all the nostalgia that you guys compared to I don't watch all the other podcasts and so therefore I just wonder, I really appreciate all the Mickey or your your nostalgic memories and all that. I enjoyed that so much. So Cynthia, thank you very much, and say hi to Nate for me because I got to meet Nate and the show his wife. Also when I met Everson and Charles Haley. So I haven't been able to go get a hold of Nate, but please tell him, Cynthia from Laredo said him, We'll do.
Speaker 4: Thanks for calling.
Speaker 3: Thank you guys, all right, Cethia from Laredo in Converse, Texas, San Antonio, Tonio.
Speaker 4: Very nice.
Speaker 3: That's our target audience right there. She's been following the team for sixty years. That means nearly from day one. Out there, you might remember Billy Houghton.
Speaker 4: Oh fine, thank you.
Speaker 3: For those of you who weren't here earlier in the week. Billy Houghton was a Cowboy from nineteen sixty to sixty three and is a Hall of Fame Senior candidate.
Speaker 4: This year, eighty three thirteen other.
Speaker 3: Former Cowboys, and Mickey could not place Billy Houghton in Cowboys history. I bet reckoned it could.
Speaker 4: I recognized the name, but I had no idea what he did.
Speaker 3: Okay, when you look at here two days out less than we're forty eight right under forty eight hours away from kickoff. Now, what is it about this matchup that intrigues you the most?
Speaker 4: To determine where the Cowboys are with their run defense? And I know I've probably brought it up all week, but I want I think this will be a good test to tell. As matter of fact, Jerry Jones this morning said they are committed to run to the run game and will have a real good test. So one of the priorities when the Cowboys went to training camp was to fix their run defense. I think they did a pretty good job. In the opener against Cleveland. They did rush for ninety three yards, but thirty nine of those were Deshaun Watson scrambling out of the pocket, so if you take those away from handoffs, they gained fifty four yards rushing. So we're going to see now because this team, the Saints want to run the foot and they ran for one hundred and eighty yards in the opener against Carolina, and Alvin Kamar led the way with I believe it was eighty three yards.
Speaker 3: Eight fifteen carries, but that's over five and a half yards of carries.
Speaker 4: But the big one ended up being five carries for thirty five yards for Taysom Hill, And so when you add that in there, it's like, Okay, there's another threat. And they've got him listed as a tight end, but obviously they're handing him the ball still.
Speaker 3: So lining him up at tillback this year.
Speaker 4: When you're averaging almost five yards of carry as a team, this will be a test for the Cowboys, I think more so than Cleveland because they want to run the ball. So that's what sticks out to me right now. And I was reading some of the stuff in the New Orleans paper, and they were talking about the Saints' ability to run the ball was huge against Carolina, but they also the caveat was but it was Carolina, and this will be a big test for where they are with their run game.
Speaker 3: And where are the Cowboys with their run defense.
Speaker 4: Do you think, well, I think it was encouraging. I think the fact that Zimmer's scheme, you know, mandates that if New Orleans run lines up in run heavy formations like using a full back, two wide receivers, or two running backs and two wide receivers or two tight ends. He is not opposed to putting three linebackers on the field, unlike last year when the Cowboys ran out of linebackers and gosh, in that Arizona game on the road, they ran for two hundred and twenty two yards. Their offense is somewhat similar to the San Francisco offense. It's Kubiak, his dad, Gary Kubiak. They're kind of in that same tree with the Shanahans.
Speaker 3: And both Kyle and Mike Shanning, right, that's yeah, I mean Kubiak. You think about Kubiak, he is a backup quarterback to John Elway with the Broncos going all the way back to the eighties for nearly a decade. He was there back up to Elway.
Speaker 4: And if you look at last year the forty nine ers in that big win over the Cowboys, they ran for one hundred and seventy yards against the Cowboys. So we'll see exactly where they're at. The key thing will be how those defensive tackles hold up and allow the linebackers to swoop in for tackles. You saw what DeMarcus Lawrence did this past week against the run, did a fine job to earn a game ball. I think Micah Parsons was cognizant of the run instead of just chasing sacks to hold down that edge. And then in the middle they got bigger, right, they got bigger with Jordan Phillips del I won't keep wanting to say, Delvin Lynnville Joseph and then Mozzy Smith put on his weight again. At least he's in the three twenties to where he needed to be last year, not get pushed around. So if they need bigger guys, they got the bodies to put in there to try to hold down the line of scrimmage and let the linebackers do their job.
Speaker 3: You know, this gives you an idea of how the zimmer has used his linebackers against Cleveland, and Cleveland didn't run the ball as much as you would have thought they would have, and right, part of that was because they fell behind in the game and so they were throwing it more. But with the exception of Parsons. Now Parsons does line up at linebacker at times, okay, But with the exception of Parsons, five linebackers played in that game for the Cowboys against the Browns Kendricks, Damone Clark, Maris Lea Fold, de marve On Overshown, and Nick Vigil and the Browns had seventy two total snaps on offense. Well, those five linebackers I mentioned for the Cowboys totaled one hundred and fifty five snaps in the game, so the average being with seventy two offensive snaps. The Cowboys always had two linebackers on the field, okay, and they went beyond that on some occasions. And it shows when a guy like Demonne Clark, when you got Kendricks getting fifty one snaps and Leah foul who is your starting base linebacker, right, he only had nine snaps because they weren't in their two tight end formation very often for Cleveland or in the nickel more often than not. Overshown got forty four snaps. But when you get a damoone Clark with twenty six snaps, that shows how many times that the Cowboys had three linebackers on the field. And then Nick vigil at twenty five snaps as eight.
Speaker 4: Kendricks came out and later in the game so he got dehydrated. So yes, so that shows a difference in philosophy, defensive difference in scheme than what they were using with dan Quinn too. And if you look at the tackle totals for the linebackers, Kendricks had nine, Overshown had nine, DeMarcus Lawrence had five. Not as a defensive end, but he's been known to be very good against the run. He had three tackles for losses for quarterbacks, hits and a force fumble, so Parsons end up with four tackles. Clark had four tackles. So again, this is going to be significant, and I think that we'll have a better idea of what they're able to do because if they stop that Saints running game, then they can unleash that pass rush that ended up with six sacks and I believe it was an NFL high twenty five pressures. This past game against the Browns.
Speaker 3: Tell me again on Talis Fuaga, their rookie left tackle. On the injury report, he was limited yesterdir or did not participate. He did not participate because that could be significant if Fuaga isn't playing and what does he deal He.
Speaker 4: Went from limited to DNP with a back issue with a back that's right, and he's a rookie and it's not practicing.
Speaker 3: And if it's in a back can be tricky. But he is a road grader type as far as uh, you know, he played right tackle at Oregon State. He's making the conversion to left tackle. And if you go back and look at him against Carolina, there's some running plays where you can see that that Fuaga he's had no problem making the transition as far as being a run blocker in this league. And so, uh, that could be significant if can't go in this game, Sat.
Speaker 4: Look real quick, the backup there, I've got it right here is Landing Landing Young. I'm not sure I'm familiar with his work.
Speaker 3: It sounds like you're not. Sixth round draft pick out of Kentucky who have started four games last year, appeared in third team games, started four last year for the Saints. Okay, so there you go. All right, we're gonna make our picks. We got so much more to get to on Cowboys and Saints, and we got time to take more phone calls when we come back here on mix shots in just a moment.
Speaker 10: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends.
Speaker 5: You want to stay at.
Speaker 10: The team hotel, attend the best tail game party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x'es and o's with me Everson Wallas. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 7: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 3: Scott Kitts it slide for the first down.
Speaker 7: Invest like your icons where everyone is a rookiancrypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 9: Perfect grow My goodness, Wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 7: Visit blockchain dot com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 1: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 8: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Light is brewed to be less feeling. What are you doing here?
Speaker 5: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 8: Look, I'm just reading the script. It says less fillings.
Speaker 3: That's not what my script says.
Speaker 8: Hell mindset.
Speaker 9: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Middle Light is in fact less filling and taste great. I'm mishine legal guy, Celebrate responsibly. Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands to be point two grams carbs for twelve bounces, Fewer cowsand cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 1: Demict shuts coome.
Speaker 4: I gotta read. Don't False Star Gola. Come shop at the Star in Frisco on Saturday, September twenty eighth, from ten am to four pm at Flea Styles Market at the Star presented by Makerplace by Michaels, featuring fifty plus local makers offering art, fashion, home decort, jewelry and kids items. Market at the Star is always a favorite. Admission is free. Visit stardistrict dot com for more information.
Speaker 3: I remember the trivia question now that I was thinking about using today, so I'll throw it out there right now. How many Louisiana natives are on the Cowboys roster? Well made me think of it and I looked it up yesterday. You love Dak what he was talking about the fans? Yeah, and Dak his friends, his friends, Texanim and his friend he said I've just kind of sent them an emoji and said go Cowboys. They fired back with who dat. I wrote back, who Dak?
Speaker 4: And he said that moji had something to do with a hand signal.
Speaker 3: Okay, there you go.
Speaker 4: Uh Dak is one. Two for sure. Ceedee Lamb.
Speaker 3: Ceedee Lamb was born in Louisiana and of course went to high school after Katrina moved to x and then went to high school in Houston. Okay, you got two. I got two more on offense. One of them had a touchdown last week. Cooks, Nope, he's not from He did have a touchdown. He had a touchdown, but he's not now. He was a first round draft pick of the Saints though back twenty fourteen. And then there was a special team touchdown. So there's three. And then you've got another one who did not play last week and is very questionable for this week, a tight end by the name of John Stevens.
Speaker 4: Stevens.
Speaker 3: So that's four on offense. Now, what about defense? Got an LSU linebacker, Oh, Clark Clark, that's right. You got a starter in the secondary. Wilson Yep, Donovan Wilson is from Shreveport.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's right, Yep, that was a good guess on my part. Got one more.
Speaker 3: I got one more. I'm just trying to remember who it is.
Speaker 4: If you can't remember, you came up with the past.
Speaker 3: So there's one more and it's on defense. And they got to find him interesting, very interesting. Who is the one more? There is one more. I guarantee you there's one more. Oh it's mccuamo. Oh really, mccuamo is from Louisia. Yes, I didn't really, Yeah, and then we went to South Carolina to college. But he is from Louisiana.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's why he's so talkative.
Speaker 3: Uh huh, yeah, folk, that's why there's such a such a back and forth too. Yeah. Mcwamoe is one of the more talkative ones in the locker room.
Speaker 5: So well.
Speaker 4: When they asked Mike McCarthy about his times and uh coaching for the Saints, what stands out to you? And he said the people, the culture, and the food. And I think he said something to the fact that you could go out to eat every day for three hundred and sixty five days and never have a bad meal.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 4: And he's absolutely right. People ask me all the time I've spent a lot of time in New Orleans where to go eat? And I said, just open a door and go in. It'll be good. I guarantee you.
Speaker 3: M So you're happy that the super Bowl is in New Orleans this year?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it would be neat to be able to go once a time covered a lot of Super Bowls.
Speaker 3: In New Orleans. Okay, so it's almost time for our picks to click and our picks in the game. Let's see, well, a couple of other things on special teams. Okay, it could come down to special teams in this game. And you got two of the best special teams units in the league going at each other. And how about for the Cowboys Cavante Turpin right, and then Rashid Shaheed is a handful for the Saints as a return guy, as a return guy and on offense too.
Speaker 4: So do you recommend just kicking kickoffs through the end zone? I?
Speaker 3: Good, go ahead and do that. Yeah, just go ahead and do that. But even the kickers, of course, we know what Brandon Aubrey can do. But it's very interesting because this Blake groupie for the Saints also a second year kicker out of Notre Dame. He started his collegiate career at Arkansas State for four years and then transferred to Notre Dame. And he was very good last year as a rookie and then last week against Carolina he was four for four on field goals, including two from beyond fifty yards. He matched Aubrey with a fifty seven yarder a week ago. And so I think it's almost a push between the two special teams units. And the Saints also had a blocked punt last week and it was a tight end Juwan Johnson who blocked the punt. They will line up when they have their punt block on, they will line up both their tight ends as edge rushers, Juwan Johnson and Taysom Hill. Interesting, and I don't know that I've seen that before where you've got linebackers who are your primary. That shows how athletic those linebackers are.
Speaker 4: You know, the Cowboys didn't get there, but they were getting close with their edge rushers on punts. I noticed. So that'll be interesting to take a look at. And again with both of these guys, the punters have to be pretty careful. You either better get it high pinted on the sideline and not give them opportunities for any returns he had. Shaheed had three repunt returns for sixty yards along of forty seven, so that's something to keep an eye on. He had one kickoff return for thirty three yards, so yeah, I don't know that you need to challenge those guys or start sitting there going, well, if we kick it short, you know we can stop them before the thirty yard line. It may not be worth that gamble.
Speaker 3: And by the way, Darren Rizzy, their special teams coach, was also on the committee with John Fossil as far as the dynamic kickoff and right, yeah, so he's he's very respected around the league.
Speaker 4: Did they ever have a return last night? I think I gave up middle of.
Speaker 3: The fourth quarter. I didn't notice.
Speaker 4: I don't remember that.
Speaker 3: I didn't watch.
Speaker 4: That any return. Ye all right, Everson, what do you got?
Speaker 3: Okay, let me find eversince here. Uh, you gotta find the text somewhere. Oh so, producer, what, I'll let you play the role of Everson, which will come complete with a go Cowboys at the end of the show.
Speaker 6: Okay, I'll do that for him. Okay, So Everson has.
Speaker 3: The oh night and first goes.
Speaker 6: Well, it really interrupts me. I appreciate that. Nate get out of the camera and Everson has his click to pick is going to be Carson.
Speaker 3: That'll be a pick to click pick pick one pick from one pick from Kaylan Carson. Yes, okay, that's his pick to click.
Speaker 6: Yep, and his score is Dallas winning twenty eight twenty three.
Speaker 3: So no field goals from the Cowboys this week, apparently not twenty three win were the Saints? Okay, got you down, Everson Walls.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Now we know Nate's pick?
Speaker 5: What is that?
Speaker 4: That's always the Cowboys?
Speaker 5: Yes, that's whatever.
Speaker 13: I got too much respect for the Saints. I think they were nine to eight last year. I think they was on the move. Their quarterback is streaky hot right now. Uh, they didn't even get Chris Ave. They didn't get him involved last week. And so but this team is predicated making I was listening to you great observation.
Speaker 5: This is predicated on what Camara does.
Speaker 13: This this this game is if we stopped that stretch run, whether it's a short stretch out of the long stretch, we win this game without a doubt.
Speaker 5: But if you let Camara get to get the cranking up like his name.
Speaker 12: The car.
Speaker 13: You know what I'm saying, we af Ford house, We and a Chevrolet so that they Camaro get to going, bro and if he gets to going, and especially in the passing game, because our linebackers, as much as I love these dudes, it's gonna.
Speaker 5: Be hard to stick him coming out of the backfield. He can shake him breaking.
Speaker 13: And they got a short screen game too, So I picked to click shut down forty one baby, shut him down, keep him up one hundred, one hundred yards.
Speaker 4: And I think it was Parsons talking about him, and he said something to the effect that he's talking about his speed. He goes, but then when you get there, he's two hundred and twenty four pounds. Yes, yes, and that's a load.
Speaker 13: So and he's slippery. He don't hit you like ze. He don't hit you like the number seven. For them, number seven would run up in you, thirty four full grown young man.
Speaker 5: Tast him. Hell, he'll hit you straight. He's the short yard is back.
Speaker 13: But this other guy, he's slippery and you hit him from the side and he's a rock, just like Mick said.
Speaker 3: So, is there a particular player on the Cowboys defense that needs to.
Speaker 13: Have yes, the one position is the one technique. One technique has to be real good because if they do an over under and they don't just have the guards cover. If they do an over and under, it's a gap. It's always gonna be a gap there, and they go to run it and they always take the stretch play at least five to six yards. So our noseguard gonna have to get on his high horse to maintain his fore side gap when it he gon have to get there because you don't want him to get trapped automatically. If you get trapped from the start, all of a sudden, it's a big gap and you actually h Kendricks are the other kid over not over showing, Yeah, you're actually the middle linebacker. Whoever plays that clark to cover three gaps if it's all predicated on that noseguard not getting hooked. If he get hooked, it's a big hole backside and it's a big hole front side because he literally has to stop. Now, that makes overshown, who's the wheel on the backside, got two gaps, and that makes the linebacker Kendricks on the front side have two gaps. You don't do that. You do not want them to be able to the nose has to be ready to run. Mazzie, the old Man, Joseph Jordan, y'all got to run, baby.
Speaker 4: Jordan Phill Well, you know what you know you're echoing with. Mike McCarthy was talking about how they attack the C gap. Yes, and he goes because they attack that gap. We don't have enough guys to fill all the gaps, so there's gonna be an open gap somewhere along the.
Speaker 13: Unless you bring down the safety and move everybody over one slot.
Speaker 5: Now you got ABC and D gaps covered.
Speaker 13: But if you don't bring somebody down, that means one guy has to be exceptional, and that is your nose. God to eat up bodies, but to move while eating up bodies, not them linebackers to start picking their spots. But if they go too soon, forty one hit fourth Gill on you if you go, if you go too late, he'll bog it down and see that backside and get.
Speaker 5: Up out of them.
Speaker 4: See there. It's good to have a good buddy on mix shots.
Speaker 3: Huh, And I've got my pick to click based on what Nate just said.
Speaker 5: Oh you yeah, yes, it ain't got no to do with your gas, right, do you.
Speaker 4: Want to go No, Oh, it's my turn. I picked the Cowboys twenty eight seventeen.
Speaker 3: Oh, that was similar to twenty eight seventeen. I got no field goals in this game for the Cowboy.
Speaker 4: And I they're gonna score touchdowns.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 4: Okay, enough of this field goal stuff. My pick to click second game from Louisiana.
Speaker 3: Ceedee lamb, ceedee lamb. Let me touchdowns for Orland's own two. Okay, all right, especially if Latimore is not playing. And last week we both had the same prediction twenty three to twenty. Yeah, we didn't have a whole lot of confidence going in the last week's game. And I'm going to go on with the same score this week, twenty three to twenty.
Speaker 4: Cowboys, a couple of field goals.
Speaker 3: Cowboys win on a seventy one yard field goal. Frighted Aubrey.
Speaker 4: Well, you know what. You know what, though, that has to be planted in opponents' heads, right that they were thinking about doing this. So when you get to the end of a half, you can't sit there. If the Cowboys got the ball and play it cozy like, well, okay, we just want to keep them, you know, because if they get close to the fifty yard line, it's field goal range.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna tell you what the late Joe what Avazana said?
Speaker 13: That swings both ways because we late in the quarter and they're up a down by a point or to or up by seven, and we're trying to just close the gap to get moremental your offense, lyne better block because you got a low trajectory that swings ways. If they blocked, how far do you have to run for a touchdown? Yeah, so be careful with that. I still like what you said earlier. Touchdown, touchdown, touchdown.
Speaker 4: You gotta be desperate to try one of those. Yes, they weren't desperate.
Speaker 13: They won desperate. That's why it was easy for coaching. And I like how you did that.
Speaker 4: Control the game. Don't do something to lose.
Speaker 3: Yes, And so I picked a click. Yes is another Louisiana native, but it's on the defensive side of the football, and that would be Donovan Wilson. He might be that safety that comes out and helps one. He'll get the takeaway too.
Speaker 13: They were thumping last week and and and I just wonder, guy, we are in a funny situation because we don't know if we're good, right, we won't know that until four or five games in because we thought. Really, y'all guys probably didn't, but everybody choose to ignore that.
Speaker 5: New Orleans almost won the division last year.
Speaker 4: They finished nine and al so somehow they got They got beat on a tiebreaker tiebreaker.
Speaker 13: So don't these guys are confident? Cameron Jordan, the Mario Davis number fifty six, You better account for him. You better account for number fifty six.
Speaker 5: He's a beat tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Davis is in his thirteenth year in the league. For real, you're kiddy, thirteenth year. You don't how many games he's missed in his career?
Speaker 5: How many?
Speaker 3: One?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 3: Thirteen years playing middle linebacker in this league and he's missed one game.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 13: And I know this gonna throw people off. But in the Biblical days, God and age people, they be three hundred years old.
Speaker 5: This dude, the aged God got his hands.
Speaker 3: On him, right, all right? Yeah, methusela line and sixty.
Speaker 5: Nine years old, about a couple of years younger.
Speaker 4: I try speaking of speaking of thirteen years, how many games did you miss?
Speaker 5: Probably two or three? I missed two or three.
Speaker 13: But man, I'm tell you something for a guy today, the way it's built that you can miss games and not be not lose your job or not be uh fearful. Back then, it was like, okay, my arm is broke. Man just said it and put a rode in and let's gold.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I'll played with a cast.
Speaker 13: I play with a cat because I can't have Gogana gesick taking my job.
Speaker 4: Ye I just don't remember your missing games.
Speaker 5: No, I didn't.
Speaker 13: Man, me and Mark two and they had a stretch going that was real, real good and into Mark Stepnosky level.
Speaker 5: Just we didn't miss games. It was just when you looked at Troy and Troy gave you that stare.
Speaker 4: Like really, man, you ain't playing.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you got a dislocated toe. You just let a dude through here in practice and broke my finger. Remember that did the dumb thing that do hit? Now you broke my finger. Now you got a toe, Come on, bro let's play. Uh Yeah, it's okay.
Speaker 5: Life feels what it is. But the thing I.
Speaker 13: Like about today's NFL no team is getting away with nothing.
Speaker 5: Everybody practiced the same number of practices. Uh, it don't matter regularly.
Speaker 13: And if you do wrong and you check it, they will be punishing you with a third or fourth or fifth round pick, and those things can get valuable, especially if your team is thin.
Speaker 4: All right, this team is no longer thin in the middle.
Speaker 5: No, we got some boys.
Speaker 13: Yeah, we got some young and old. They got to be able to run this week. All right, put on your tities and let's go.
Speaker 3: All right, So Nate wor can we swatch you on Sunday?
Speaker 5: Right day? Dallas Cowboys dot com pre and post baby.
Speaker 3: All right, all right, that does it? And I think they run that Cowboys game night, young Cowboys game night after they.
Speaker 13: Get Oh no, they dumped me off of that better people than in Bury Church because they started doing graphics and stuff. I'm not smart enough for the secondary playing all if he was Ovis and unders like, I'm talking with Y'allvis, you're.
Speaker 5: Right, actually, yeah, I'm riding out. I'm listening to him.
Speaker 4: And where can we catch you on Sunday?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Cowboys game day, Sunday morning, ten thirty on CBS eleven and then ten thirty Sunday night. All right, there we go, there you go, all right, and then they're Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Where can we catch you on a plane.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now you catch him tomorrow at the Omni at one one fifty.
Speaker 5: He fired me. See everybody fired me.
Speaker 13: He got money, got his well ever soon yeah uh.
Speaker 5: You fire me. He didn't even ask me back. He's like, I'm just not gon.
Speaker 4: Action back and all the next star stations in the state of Texas.
Speaker 3: Yeah all right, all right, So have a great weekend. See you at the game, or we'll see you on Monday noon on Mixed Shots.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.