Speaker 1: Welcome and Commander's family to the Next Man Up Podcast. I'm your host, Brian cober Junr. And on this episode we're talking tight ends. We have Zach Ertz pulling up to talk NFC East rivalry games.
Speaker 2: You know he knows something about that.
Speaker 1: Then the legend of the game for this Sunday, Vernon Davis pulls up and talks about not only his play on the field, but what he's doing outside of the field to continue his life journey. And last but not least, we had to get a New York radio guy to pull up. But I promise you he is a fan of the Burgundy and Gold.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: Peter Rosenberg joins the show to talk about why he's excited about his Washington Commanders.
Speaker 2: That's all on Next Man Up.
Speaker 3: So nice twice.
Speaker 2: Amanda's family are the Next Man Up.
Speaker 1: He is a three time Pro bowler, Super Bowl champion, holds the record for most receptions in a season by a tight end. Look at him smiling, my boy, Zach hurts value doo yo. Good to see you, man. We appreciate you taking the time. Let's get right into it. Had your first game back. You had not played since twenty twenty three October. Right, you had that much time off of the field. Yeah, now you were back, man, You.
Speaker 2: Looked good out there. How did it feel to get just back on that field again?
Speaker 4: It felt great? Obviously week one definitely some nerves going into it, some butterflies, But I feel like that's a good thing. Whenever you lose the butterflies a week one and that's probably time to hang them up. So it's good that I still got that feeling in me. Felt good to get out there around the guys. Obviously, to come up short, it was a terrible feeling. But at the end of the day, it felt good to get out there, good to be with the guys, and I'm really looking forward to the rest of the year.
Speaker 1: You said still got it in me, So I got to ask, man, when you go through an injury like that, you've accomplished so many things already, Right, You're in year twelve. You've accomplished so much. You could probably say, you know what, I can hang the cleanse up. Yeah, how did you get through that and fight through it and say, you know what, I still want to play football?
Speaker 4: Well, I think so. Two years ago, twenty twenty two, I had the knee injury, and that was a tough one to come back from, and I probably came back a little too early, and then I had an injury that was not very It was not a bad injury last year. It was not bad enough to miss that many games, But there was a lot of politics involved with the situation in Arizona, and so just being able to take a deep breath and kind of reset and wait for the perfect opportunity was something that I really wanted to focus on to get back and feel like myself, feel like the player that I knew I could be again. And it really just gave me an opportunity to really train for essentially nine months straight for the first time and forever to have that amount of time to get back to where my standards are for myself. And I feel like I've had a great offseason because I've been able to feel good. I feel healthy, I feel probably the best I have in years, So I feel like I'm in a really good place.
Speaker 1: Man, you had a great offseason, You're having a great start to your season. You've had welcome twins, and Man, you and your wife welcomed in twins. Did that give you a little extra motivation to be like, you know what, I want my twins to see me on that field. I want them to be able to see what my two year old's been able to see.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, it's such a blessing to have three kids, three little boys. Wow, it was like yesterday I had no kids, and I woke up today and have three kids. So time flies. But it's so fun to be their dad. Obviously come home to a full house. It's mayhem at times right now, but Julius crushing it. She's an amazing mom. She's an amazing athlete, but she's an even better mom. So it's fun to see here in this role and I'm just excited to be their dad and her husband as athletes.
Speaker 2: Do you guys compete a lot?
Speaker 1: Because like my wife, she played basketball, right, she's a coach, so like it's competitive for everything.
Speaker 2: Is that how you guys are?
Speaker 4: Like in parenting, It's not like we're over there competing of who could change the diaper the fastest or who's getting the most diaper changes in the day, But like if we're playing cards or something, we'll definitely compete in something like that. But now it's a lot of just supporting one another to be the best of parents who can for these kids. And that's what we're focused on for sure.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: And last time we spoke, you had just signed pen to paper, you had the burgundy suit on. Still, Man, how has it been adjusting and just getting into this offense as this leader?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's been phenomenal. Honestly, I didn't really know what I was getting into. Obviously, I've been in this division for a long time, but didn't really know about Virginia Northern Virginia. Didn't really know about this organization besides what you heard. And I could so I'll say I was coming in with eyes wide open and I couldn't. It hasn't. I can't really put in toowards how great it's been. I've loved living in the d m V. I love the greenery, the road just driving out here, so green, so lush, and so it's probably my favorite like area that I've lived in so far. And then just the organization. Man, it's it's blown me away. Dq the culture he's building. Obviously, I've loved I loved playing for Cliff in Arizona. That's who I wanted to retire playing for, and when he got fired in Arizona, I was extremely disappointed in that decision, and so I didn't even know this was gonna be a possibility. But when he got the job as the OC, I jumped at it. I was eager to get out here. And then Josh Harris has done an amazing job from an ownership standpoint, just investing in the players, even no stone unturned to be able to provide everything we need to be at our best. So from top to Biden, I feel like this place is just going to continue to ascend.
Speaker 1: And you said when you got here, you knew you were coming in here to be a leader, to be a mentor, and to also build chemistry. The young quarterback in Jade and Daniels got to do that.
Speaker 2: In week one.
Speaker 1: How has it been just teaching Jaden and helping him grow and just watching him be the man that he is.
Speaker 4: I mean, Jaden is going to be an amazing player in this league for a very long time. And I wouldn't say I'm teaching him a lot. He's come in with the vast knowledge of the game, the way he understands concepts, the way he understands leverage technique, how I run my route. I feel like there was a natural chemistry that was built right away. But also he loves the game and I love the game. So we talk about football consistently. We're texting each other late at night after watching the film on our own. What do you think I should do against this? What do you want to do against this coverage? So we're just constantly trying to make sure we're on the same page so we could play fast. Because we feel like we're on the same page, We're playing fast and no one's gonna be able to stop us.
Speaker 1: Sunday will be bulld for your guys's first game playing for the Burgundy and Gold at Northwest Stadium. How excited are you to be on that side of it? I mean, you played against these fans a lot. How excited you to get them to cheer fair? I'm excited to not get bud.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be fun. I'm so excited to be there for the for the home opener, to be on this side of it, and we got to go out there and put our products on the field that they're gonna be proud of, that they're gonna be able to support and cheer for. And I mean scoring a lot of points hopefully, But at the end of the division game, the Giants have played a million times and so it's going to be a battle.
Speaker 1: And if you said you've played them a million times, my last question for you those NFC East battles, No, you haven't done it for us, but you've been there before. How special of those NFC battles paint that for us?
Speaker 4: It is the best division of football in my opinion, just massive Marcus. Massive fan bases, passionate fan bases, honest fan basis. And so for me, it's the best division in football to play in. And I'm glad I'm backing it.
Speaker 5: Zach.
Speaker 2: We appreciate you, man. Can't wait to see you for Week two at the crib. Appreciate you boy. It command this family.
Speaker 1: Since we're talking tight ends, we might as well go to a legend of the game. A former Washington tight end that will be this Sunday's legend of the game. Command is family. Our next man up is a legend in the game. He's won a Super Bowl, set over seventy five hundred yards, receiving sixty three touchdowns in a very long and fruitful career, and he ended it here in Washington with the Burgundy and Gold welcoming in NFL legend and tight end Vernon Davis, Brother, how you.
Speaker 2: Doing, man?
Speaker 5: I appreciate how you doing? Man?
Speaker 1: Oh Man, I can't complay anytime. I'm sitting here hanging out with a legend of the game. Man, I'm blessed. Man, I got the best job in the world.
Speaker 5: That's what's up. That's what's up. I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir man, so of course I said it earlier.
Speaker 1: You are going to be recognized as a legend of the game this Sunday for our forced home game against the New York Giants here for this season, which is a very very big game. Right Jayden Daniel's debut with the Crib, Dan Quinn's debut with the Crib. How special is it for you to be honored in such a momentus occasion.
Speaker 5: I think it's a great opportunity. Man.
Speaker 6: I just ya, I grew up root for Washington Commanders, so to be able to be affiliated with them in some kind of way, it's still.
Speaker 5: It's just great.
Speaker 6: It's just it's just awesome to be able to just you know, be a part of what they're trying to build and I know they're trying to build a championship team. And if I can give you know, my time, my energy and and just being part of this, And I think there's no better way than to be one of the legends of the game in which they were able to incorporate me for the first home game of the season.
Speaker 5: So that's why it's truly honored.
Speaker 1: Do those kind of things shock you how much the fans here revere you? Right, you're only here a few years, but the fans love you as if you spent your whole career here. And that kind of seems like the trend with a lot of the legends that played in the Burgundean Goal. How much does it mean to you to just be revered like that by this fan base?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean that's why we played the game. We played the game. I think it's a young guy coming in. It's always we forget the little details about the game of football, right, what makes this game? And it's nothing more or nothing better than having a group of people rallying behind you as a support as your as your support system, and your team of people who want to see you win, both individually and as a team.
Speaker 5: And it's nothing like it.
Speaker 6: So we when we do anything, like I used to say when I was playing football, we do it for the fans, we do it for the organization, we do it for our family, and we do it for ourselves.
Speaker 1: You've been around, You've seen a few different different regimes here in Washington, even when you were with the Niners.
Speaker 2: What's different about this time? What's different about this go around?
Speaker 6: In europeon anytime you can change up things, change is always great, especially if it's for the betterment of something.
Speaker 5: And I think right now this is for the betterment of the team.
Speaker 6: When they made the change to the upp management and the pieces that they were able to put together with the with the management team, Tea has been nothing but phenomenal. I think Magic Johnson, bringing his experience, his notoriety and everything that he's learned from building a team, I think it works. And I also think it's refreshing to have something new into a new group of people come into the city of Washington, d C. With the expectations to win a championship.
Speaker 1: And we just spoke to zach Ertz earlier and very much like you, when he got here, right he had the Pro Bowls he had the Super Bowl, he had the numbers and the statistics, but decided to in the back of the script, come here to Washington take its talents there. You did a very similar thing. Take us back to then when you did first get to Washington, what you were feeling, because again, you would already proved so much. You could have stopped right there, but you said you wanted to keep going here in the burguniar gold.
Speaker 5: Why was that yeah to me?
Speaker 6: I mean, like I said, it was a great, great opportunity to come back to my hometown team and play for them.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 6: I mean, I know, when when you have an opportunity to play for a team that you grew up rooting for, I know that's free and far between. Doesn't always happen like that every single day. So I embraced the opportunity. And my friends and family, kids, everyone was here. They had an opportunity to see me where that that good old uniform that we've been seeing for years.
Speaker 5: But it's you know, I embrace it, man.
Speaker 6: I embraced every single opportunity that I possibly can, especially if it's a good one, and just stay positive about it, positive about everything.
Speaker 1: Born in DC went to the University of Maryland, came back, played for the pray for Washington. Now you're being honored at the field, right on the field, Man, is that a full circle moment for you? Because I got to imagine, like you said, like this is your hometown team. You had to have dreamed of this, right, You had to have dreamed of one day being on that field, and now you're on the back end of it. Have you had those moments where you sit there and be like, Man, God is good, man.
Speaker 5: God is so good man. I give it all to God.
Speaker 6: Man, everything I do, everything I received, And I know life is short.
Speaker 5: We only hit temporarily.
Speaker 6: But to be able to live the life that I've lived and continue to just learn how to navigate through the ups and downs of life, because our life isn't it's not easy.
Speaker 5: It's tough.
Speaker 6: Although we have moments in our life where things can be great and then we have those moments where things aren't so great and it's dark, it's gloomy. But if we continue to just keep keep the fight, stay humble, stay just graceful, stay just appreciative of all the little things that we receive in life.
Speaker 5: Life, life can be really good.
Speaker 6: Even one there's those down moments in our life, but I'm very, very grateful for everything that's to come away and.
Speaker 2: Life has just definitely been a journey for you. Vernon.
Speaker 1: Now, on the next Mental podcast, we talk a little ext and those, but we really like to talk about the player behind the helmet, and you, sir, have a lot of layers. You are somewhat of a renaissance man. You act, you do music, You've done so many different things. You're a leader of philanthropist. Why is it so important for you to continue to be so active even though you're technically retired.
Speaker 6: I think, I think every I think it depends on your your driven purpose, Like what's your purpose, whatever you think your purpose is, or whatever you're living for, whatever's going through your soul, through your mind. What do you want for yourself? You ask yourself that question, what do you want? What does your life look like? What makes you happy? And I learned that in order to get through life, it's crazy life that we live in, it's crazy world that we live in, is to be happy, to be inspired, to feel like, uh you can you're living for something. Every morning, every night that I go to sleep, I'm excited about the next day, Lord willing if it comes right.
Speaker 5: I know it's not guaranteed, but I'm hopeful.
Speaker 6: I'm hopeful that I get another opportunity to wake up and do something that I love.
Speaker 5: Whatever it is.
Speaker 6: Everybody has different passions and different desires, but whatever it is, I get a chance to do it again.
Speaker 5: So I get excited about the future. I get excited about right now.
Speaker 6: And I know that you know, everything that I that I put in, I'm leaving, but it's going to become a part of my legacy, and the legacy outlives you. You know, legacy be here for years and years and years to come. And that's Evan. Ultimately, that's what you want to do. You want to leave behind a legacy. And I think that's important for everyone to understand that, Hey, the impact that I had, people are going to remember me for the rest of my life. I did really good. Whether it's big or small, it doesn't matter what stage is on. As long as you leave behind something, you all got to leave it behind.
Speaker 1: And you said, realizing what your purpose is? What is Vernon Davis's purpose?
Speaker 6: I think my purpose is it is to be an example, to be a role model, to to create smiles and uplift people. I think it all, it all goes by Everything in life always goes back to to some right you would, because every every day we're impacted or we're we're affected by someone. You know, there's someone that can that can impact us in either positive or negative way. And my thing is to is to give that positivity to the world to people that have a chance to to cross paths with me and I And that's just my purpose. They say that, you know, find out what what what makes you tick and what gives you, what gives you like the energy to be able to just press on each and every day, And for me, it's giving back and create smiles.
Speaker 1: And you're giving back in a major way right now because you wrote a memoir and there's a lot of different stories in there, a lot of different things and antidotes that not only NFL players and players can get, but just people in general. Talk about what made you decide that right now in this point, because you've been through a lot, especially this year, Why did you.
Speaker 2: Decide to drop the memoir right now?
Speaker 6: I try to drop the memoir right now because, like I said, I just think life is so precious.
Speaker 5: I think life is so precious and life is just so short.
Speaker 6: You know, I don't know if I'm gonna be around here until I'm sixty seventy years old, So I can't wait that long to write it by memoir.
Speaker 5: I got to write it right now.
Speaker 6: I've done more than enough in life to be able to inspire people. I remember I was going through panic disorder when I was playing in San Francisco. First thing I did is pick up find books. I was looking for books. I was on line, I was at the library, I was, I was in different office spaces and just trying to find.
Speaker 5: Books that resonated with what I was going through.
Speaker 6: And I feel like my book, someone's gonna be searching for my book one day and they gonna pick up my book, and that book is going to give them the joy and inspiration they need to be able to continue through life. And I think, I think it's those things, in those moments that we don't really think about because there's so much going on in this life. Everything's fast, you know, the cars on the road, but you have a political debates, you have different careers and career paths, But what about the struggles of life? That's what we're supposed to be there for We're supposed to be there for people when they're struggling, when when they're on there when they're on their downfall, right, because I can I can assure you that everyone in life, if they get a chance to live long enough, they're going to experience some kind of some kind of some kind of health issue, some kind of health issue that you know, it's our bodies.
Speaker 5: You know, we have bodies. We have these living bodies.
Speaker 6: This blood it's pumping throughout our body and it's you know, it's very it's very sensitive.
Speaker 5: Is we have to handle lit care.
Speaker 6: But there's things that come up, whether it's you know, something in your blood or is a is an ailments some kind of disease, or or just something you're struggling with, something you need to go to the doctor and get better, or something you need to fix. Right, and we and once we understand that, then we know that people need us.
Speaker 5: We need each other. You know, we got to help each other.
Speaker 6: You know, it's just it's just what it is when human beings free creatures on earth, and we gotta we gotta gotta give and give back and carriage and inspire each other to do the right thing, and the right thing is living prosperously.
Speaker 5: Through our nutrition, health and well being, wellness.
Speaker 6: And just how we go about our day to day, our day to day.
Speaker 5: You know, that's what it's about.
Speaker 1: And Vernon, like I said, you want you We've had a year. You lost your brother Vonte tragically, and we all deal with grief in different ways. So first things first, as a man, because we don't get asked this a lot, first question, how are you doing? Second part of that question is can you give advice? Because you know you're all about giving advice and helping others, right, And just like you said, with all health and helf issues, we'll all lose a family member at some point. One again, how are you doing? And two how do you deal with that grief and still perform at such a high level in all the things you do?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was tough, man, Probably one of the toughest experiences I've ever deal with my life. Because my brother was my best friend. He was he was someone I talked to every single day. I mean I pretty much raised the kid. And watching him go from this kid that was just living in Washington, DC to having success, it was just like it made me proud. That was a proud moment for me the day he got drafted. And to watch him, you know, leave the earth just like that, it was extremely tough, but look, it gave me more perspectives. I'm at a place now where I can talk about it smile, and I could just be.
Speaker 5: Thankful for him gracing me with his presence during his time.
Speaker 6: And and look, I'm I'll be with him one day. You know, energy, you can't destroy energy, you can't destroy it. He's still there somewhere. And if you believe, I think if we approach life as if we were going to die someday from our human form, then we we do better. We live better, we we we take life more serious. But I feel like human beings, we feel like we're gonna live forever. And there's nothing wrong with feeling like you're gonna live forever. But there's a there's a there's a big part of you that need to understand that there's things that you need to get done before your time is up. And the way you get it done, it's about living wholesome life and trying your best to do the best that you can to while you while you're here, and just do a good deed man, just be a great.
Speaker 1: Person, and Vernon, you're definitely doing that. Thank you for opening up and sharing that with us. I've recently lost a family member too, and grievance tough man. Everybody deals with it differently, but you know your advice could help a lot of people.
Speaker 2: So thank you for that. And let's pivot.
Speaker 1: Let's pivot back to the field, because again, you are a legend of the game.
Speaker 2: You're gonna be honored there. You're gonna be there.
Speaker 1: And it's incredible because it's an NFC East matchup, it's a rivalry game. You have some familiarity with how tough the NFC East can be. What do you expect to see on that field Week two Sunday against the New York Giants.
Speaker 5: Well, we know about we know about.
Speaker 6: If you're a fan of the Commanders, you know some of the moves they were able to make in the draft. And Jade Daniels is one guy who I'm really excited about. I was looking at his college highlights the other day and I was I saw some of the things that he were able to do, from passing the ball to running the ball. He's definitely a dual threat. I think once he figures it out, he gets he's really comfortable, he's gonna be forced direction. He's gonna be unstoppable man. And when you have a quarterback like that who's so that can be both both dangerous in the passing game and running game, I mean it's hard to stop. I mean, you look at you look at Lamar Jackson. Know what he's able to do. I know he hasn't won the championship, but he has the potential to win a championship. I'll take my chances on a guy like that any day, because I know the upside is really hot with his with the ability that he's able to bring to the game of football.
Speaker 5: But I'm excited.
Speaker 6: I think they did a great job drafting that kid, and if we can continue to build the pieces around him, both offensively and defensively, I think we have something to work with.
Speaker 1: And Vernon, Before I let you go, I gotta ask every legend this. The fans love it. What's your favorite memory here in Washington? I know tomorrow might end up being the new favorite because you're gonna get all that love and the fans are gonna be screaming your name. But before before Sunday, what's your favorite memory in Washington?
Speaker 6: My favorite memory in Washington, I'm gonna have to say, gosh, man, just I feel like every every year that I was with the Washington Commanders was one of the They were all amazing, man. And I say that because I had a chance to. One day, I sat there and I started to reflect just on my journey and just how I ended up here right, and it made me so like just I don't know, man, it just gave me this. I felt this energy run through my body because it's like I don't have to be here.
Speaker 5: I don't have to be here.
Speaker 6: So every year that I had with the Washington Commanders was a highlight every single year because I had a chance to walk in that locker room, same locker room I saw when I was a kid, and interact with new guys every single year and create family. And now you know, I have guys that I can go to that I played with him, you know, and just just be there for them and I know they're gonna be there for me. So it's just just awesome.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 5: Every year that I was here, it's amazing.
Speaker 1: And man, we are so happy to have you in the fold Man, you deserve being honored. Can't wait to see you on that field being the legend that you are. Vernon Davis, we appreciate your time, brother, and thank you for opening up to us.
Speaker 2: Man. I think that can help a lot of people.
Speaker 5: Out Thank you.
Speaker 1: Now, since we're playing New York, I figured our next man up should be somebody that has lived out there a long time but has roots in the DMV and still represents the Burgundy and Gold everywhere he.
Speaker 2: Goes command his family.
Speaker 1: This next man up is something we'd like to call a super fan, not just because he loves the Burgundy and Gold, but because he is also a superstar in.
Speaker 2: His own right.
Speaker 1: You've heard him on the radio Hot ninety seven hip hop guy, You've seen him in the WWE, a wrestling guy, and he just loves sports period.
Speaker 2: He does so many different things.
Speaker 1: Welcoming in our next man up, Peter Rosenberg, Pete, how you doing bro.
Speaker 7: Yo, Man?
Speaker 3: I am happy to be here always wrapping that Burgundy and gold.
Speaker 7: Thanks for making some time for me.
Speaker 1: Oh of course, man, And you know we're gonna we're gonna dress the elephant in the rooms. I know fans are listening, like why Are you talking to a guy that I hear on a hip hop radio station. What is the point of having him as your next man up? Explain really your love for the Burgundy and Gold so the fan base can get to really know why you're a super fan.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean listen. I became a fan of football in the late eighties. And you know, the first first thing I got exposed to was the eighty five Bears when I was a very little kid, like five years old, and then that was sort of my intro into football. And then I started hanging out with a good friend of mine because I don't come from a sports family, and a really good friend of mine, he and his dad loved the Redskins, always had the games on, always watching, and so I all of a sudden started watching every week. And then, of course, you know, go on and win the Super Bowl in eighty seven, win it again in ninety one.
Speaker 7: This is what I just.
Speaker 3: Thought sports was like, you just fall in love with a team and they just win championships and dominate the league.
Speaker 7: It was amazing.
Speaker 3: And you know, I was born in Silver Spring, grew up in the Bethesda Chevy Chase area, so then went to University of Maryland, stayed in the area all the way till I was.
Speaker 7: Twenty seven years old.
Speaker 3: So and I was a huge fan from about eight years old on. But it probably even got more intense after I moved away, because I think sometimes when you're not in the city, you know, the Burgundy and Gold kind of became my real like connection to home, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, man, oh man, I really liked that man, and you're a hometown guy. So I gotta know favorite Washington memory off the ricks. I'm gonna tell you right now, fans gonna judge you off of your favorite memory. Give us your favorite memory as a Washington fan.
Speaker 3: I would say it's it's probably I guess I should say the one that just hits me immediately, which is, if we're getting very specific and granular on these memories, it would be the the Darryl Green breakup on the Vikings attempt to try to beat us in the eighty seven championship game. It was that moment when Daryl broke up that pass that like I realized they were going to the Super Bowl. And you know, of course, it's hard to even go back into it, Like my eight year old brain was operating, like, but I just know that moment felt so amazing. And the Super Bowl itself obviously was awesome, really rough first quarter, really great second quarter, but then by the end of the game, you know, we were just cruising to victory, whereas the end of the championship game had that drama, you know, that really high drama at the end, So that always stood out to me even more. And frankly, I always feel that championship games sort of have this special thing over super Bowls in the sense that super Bowls play in a very odd way, like super Bowls don't generally feel like regular football games in any way, whereas the championship game is like the last regular football game of a season, an intense football game, but it still feels like, you know, you're not playing in a neutral site, it still has that feel of a real game. So, very long way of saying that eighty seven championship game.
Speaker 1: I love asking that question because as a fan, your team is really what makes you fall in love with that sport, right Like, It's not just the sport, it's those memories you have with your team. So I appreciate you sharing that, And obviously you've seen highs and you've seen lows when it comes to Washington, But.
Speaker 2: Now we're in a different era. Things just feel a little different.
Speaker 1: Can you explain what it's like for you as a fan seeing all the different things that are happening, seeing the new co staff, new ownership, all these changes. What is it like for you as a fan, especially somebody that's removed from the DMV right now?
Speaker 7: Oh No, it's been a great, you know, turn of events the last couple of years.
Speaker 3: It's been really nice to turn the right direction and turn the page into a new future. And this group that now runs the team. I'm very excited just that we have new energy. You know, I really didn't think it was possible that it would ever happen, and so the fact that we actually took that step.
Speaker 7: And turned the page for me is a huge deal. Honestly, it was.
Speaker 3: One of the biggest sports things ever in my life, was that this change has happened because I did not expect it. I have a lot of tough memories from you know, the year two thousand through twenty two, twenty three, whatever it was, twenty two, you know, a lot of tough, tough moments there. Listen, nothing's going to change overnight, as we just learned in week one, I certainly had some certainly had some moments where I was like, wait a second, I don't want to feel this feeling anymore.
Speaker 7: But overall, big.
Speaker 3: Picture, I just like the way we're operating and I have a real faith in what's going on right now.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned week one, so let's get right into it because we're recording this on a Monday now. So you're the first person I've actually got to talk to since Postgame Live with Brian Mitchell and Santana Moss. So your initial reactions, right you said you had some moments that you know.
Speaker 2: Weren't didn't make you feel the best.
Speaker 1: But overall, how did you feel just seeing what this new offense can look like, what this new defense can look like, what this new coaching.
Speaker 2: Staff can do with the Washington Commanders.
Speaker 7: The offense felt promising.
Speaker 3: You know, obviously I would love to see number seventeen get targeted considerably more than he was. But you saw the things that Jaden is capable of yesterday. I mean it was really a microcosm of everything I've seen of JD so far, which is obviously his ability to take off when the pocket breaks down is just incredible and special. The one thing I worried about in my observations of the preseason, we're sort of some basic things not quite being there every time yet, like even the first play of the game, right, like just a poor screen pass that leads to a thirteen yard loss. Like little things like that that I want to see him get more comfortable with day in day out. But I loved what I saw from from Jayden Daniels. That wasn't really my concern overall. I would say, let's get it. I'm sure this has been talked about already at nauseum in DC. Let's get a helmet that fits. Let's let's get that squared away. Number one, because your helmet should not be popping off twice during game. And number two, let's talk about these sliding situation and how we're gonna do that. Because the head first tumble that ain't gonna work for me. Bro, I'm gonna I need that to get straightened out a little bit, because that just worries me.
Speaker 7: That ends up being a separated shoulder some a neck thing like.
Speaker 3: But that's me mentioning the negative, the fact that he what I loved about what Jayden did in Game one, was his patience in the pocket and truly using running at the as the last option but doing so effectively but offensively.
Speaker 7: Zach Ertz looked great.
Speaker 3: Oh man. I loved what Austin Eckler looked like yesterday. A lot of spring in Austin Eckler's step that was fantastic. Protection needs to be better, but overall I saw clear positives in the offensive game, a lot of growth to see from the defense. But honestly, the way this game is played now, as you know, like the couple of games, it's really seeing a team figure out what they are because the preseason has become such a weird halfway preseason, but hey man, it's early in the season. The things that I hear around league from how people feel about DQ, it's always super positive. So certainly some things to grow on and also some things that you can feel good about from.
Speaker 1: Game one, Peter, I appreciate that hearing you talk, man, because it's very obvious you are a true faman and you're watching the game very closely, and I've been listening to you. I've heard you on JP and be missed the show a few times, and you were optimistic this season, right, you were reasonably optimistic. You said you expect at least eight wins, eight to ten wins. Did that optimism change at all after week one? Are you still sticking with that? Are you still feeling the optimism you were feeling before week one?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 3: It certainly obviously a day like that certainly makes you start thinking about eight more than ten, you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: But that's really about the defense, bro.
Speaker 3: I mean this, if this defense is better than they looked yesterday, So if they can tighten things up and become a defense that gets you off the field on third down, then yeah, I think that by the time we get role, I think.
Speaker 7: This offense will be click clacking. I really do. I think that scoring will not be a big problem.
Speaker 3: I think the combo of b Rob and Austin Eckler super slept on. I loved seeing how spry Ertz looked at this point in his career, and obviously have a lot of faith in this wide receiver group, who we did not see a lot from yesterday. You know, Like I listened certainly at times, I don't think the quarterback had the time that he needed to watch routes play out. But also it's a matter of, you know, people learning each other. And we've seen Terry learn a lot of different quarterbacks and I think at some point here him and the kid will really get on the same page and we'll get going. So the offense, I have a lot of confidence in the defense gonna it's gonna need to do better than it did yesterday for us to have a fun season.
Speaker 1: Peter, I got a feeling, you know, I'm an optimistic guy, but I got a feeling you're gonna see more from that defense.
Speaker 2: I think you look at that game and you look.
Speaker 1: At field positioning too, right, they were not put in the best field position, especially early on. So I do think we will see some more positives from that defense. But I completely agree with you on that offense. And you're a New York guy, right, You're out there now, you've been in New York for a long time. That has become home for you, your household name in that city. But you never really straight away from the Burgundy and Gold, which I really respect because I'm telling you, the Giants fans are the worst fans ever, the worst fan bas ever, and you had probably have to deal with them a lot and argue with them a lot. What has it been like being a Burgundy and Gold fan in New York for so long and having to be attached to so many Giant fans.
Speaker 7: It's it's challenging.
Speaker 3: It's challenging, particularly as you know, even though the last decade has been tough for the Giants. You know that run from I came up here in oh seven, So that first five to seven years, what could we say?
Speaker 7: I had nothing to say.
Speaker 3: We were nothing but a disaster, and they were nothing but winning.
Speaker 7: You know, they found a way, and so you really didn't have much to say.
Speaker 3: The last several years, you know, they've been a little quieter, to be honest, on account of just how messy that team has been.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 7: You know, that's an.
Speaker 3: Interesting question though, because like, is there really any worse fan base than the Cowboys, because the Cowboys fan base feels like it's everyone that's let me let me say here's what I'll say. Okay, Eagles fans are the meanest. Giants fans are the most annoying, boom annoying, and these cause the Giants fans love to argue and they're just you know, they're just a pain that you know what, And and like I said, with the winning that they had over that period, it got even more difficult. But the Cowboys fans are so irritating on account of they just pop up everywhere and you're like, you're.
Speaker 2: A Cowboy fan? Where do you?
Speaker 3: What are you doing here? Why is he around? What did you get to how? And they're always on TV. They're always so like, oh, this is the year. So it's a tough question because I know lots of Giants fans who are great, like just living in the area. Obviously, I know so many that I know the whole range, Like I know the really normal, cool season ticket holding, tailgate having lovely like just kind of classy Giant fan. Because there is a classy Giant fan. I'm gonna give them that. That's something that Jets don't have as much. Of the Giants do have a classy segment of their It's not all of it, it's not all of it. We saw people out there waiting for uh for Daniel Jones yesterday yelling Danny Daniel Pennies and yelling at the guy.
Speaker 7: So but yeah, no, man, it's tough. It's tough.
Speaker 3: I mean, I married a woman who's was a Giants fan. She knows what time it is. Now, Yeah, we'll see how this, We'll see how this Sunday goes. But yeah, you know, this is a commander's household.
Speaker 7: Though she knows, she knows the time.
Speaker 2: That's how you handle it.
Speaker 1: I always tell my friends that, man, you gotta make your lady a fan of your teams because you're watching all those games and she has to be there supporting you too. So I respect that a lot. And we're gonna let you go, man, because we know you're busy. But of course we have to talk about this matchup. This Sunday, we will be playing the Giants at home. You're gonna pull up, You're gonna make an appearance of the game.
Speaker 3: So I thought about going to this game. I'm a wait, I'm gonna I'm gonna wait. I did want to be there for the first JDH intro, like proper Intro at FedEx, I did want to be there for that, the first proper JD intro at home.
Speaker 7: It seemed like the adope opportunity. But I'm a wait.
Speaker 3: I just had a lot of stuff going on. I think I'm gonna try to make the Dallas game in November instead. But I'll tell you, man, I went to the Giants game last year. I think I went to the Giants game maybe two or three. Bro.
Speaker 7: It's brutal.
Speaker 3: I mean the way that no matter how bad the Giants are, like, we get on the field and they are a different team.
Speaker 7: Man, it is so irritating.
Speaker 3: So like, I really see next week as a huge deal because this Giants team is going to be emotionally beaten down. They did not score a touchdown in Week one. Their fans were booing them off the field. They do not feel good. We have a home game debuting our new quarterback. You gotta go win this game. I don't care what the history tells.
Speaker 5: You.
Speaker 7: Go beat the Giants. Man.
Speaker 1: I beat this team, and I'm sure every fan is feeling that same way. Peter, thank you so much for your time. We appreciate you. I hope you're on the radio every single day talking about the Commanders and making Giants fans feel silly this week and next week after we get that w last thing.
Speaker 2: Just tell us what you're working on.
Speaker 1: Tell us where people can follow you find you, because I'm sure after this interview you're gonna have a lot of Burgundy and Gold fans loving you.
Speaker 7: Oh, I appreciate that, man well.
Speaker 3: For on the sports side of things, I do a show on ESPN New York every single afternoon, the Michael Ka Show.
Speaker 7: You can listen to it wherever you stream audio.
Speaker 3: Just just you know, you could just say to your Siri or your Alexa, play ESPN New York and listen to us there. I do a wrestling podcast every week called Cheap Heat. That's a lot of fun. You can catch me on the WWE as well. And then of course Hot ninety seven every morning if you're waking up and you're looking for something to talk about. We don't do a lot of sports on that side. It's more like culture politics things like that. But you can get the Hot ninety seven Apple listen to me there every morning, or check out the Ebro in the Morning podcast.
Speaker 7: Those are the main places to catch me.
Speaker 1: A very busy man, indeed, Peter, thank you so much for your time. Command His family Our next man Up. Peter Rosenberg, a super fan of the Burgundy and Gold. Appreciate your time, Bro.
Speaker 7: Thanks man Hell.
Speaker 1: Commands family. We hope you have been enjoying The Next Man Up. Podcast hearing from your favorite Washington commanders and some of your favorite Washington legends. If you want to hear more of the Next Man Up podcasts, you can subscribe to us wherever you get your podcasts, or check us out on the Commands YouTube page.