Speaker 1: Ridiculous crime. It's a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Elizabeth Detton Zaren Burnett.
Speaker 3: I got a question for you. Yeah, thank god. Okay, you know what's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Yes, I do brands. Brand Okay.
Speaker 4: So I've been begging for brands to like give me stuff, yeah, and.
Speaker 3: Even doing that forever. And before we have this show, you've been like going out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just wanted to get sponsored.
Speaker 3: By some postcards.
Speaker 4: I really was hoping that Oscar Meyer would send me that hot dog straw.
Speaker 2: I don't care about.
Speaker 3: Keep talking about that. They're very rude walking around headquarters, always saying I want my hot dogs straw. If I only had a hot dogs jaw. Can you imagine this coffee with a hot dogs straw?
Speaker 4: Rawberry milkshake would do so well with a hot dogstra Anyway, So this brand called Awake reached out to me and they have like a pseudo mashup. No, it's kind of a mashup, but I really wouldn't qualify.
Speaker 3: The power is growing. Now they're bringing the mashups to not just the Elizabeth Army now it's the brand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they just reached out. It's called so it's called a Wake. It's caffeinated chocolate.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I guess, okay, that's that's a mashup kind of.
Speaker 2: I have to be really careful. I have they send me some. Okay, So it's like there's two flavors, peanut buttered.
Speaker 4: Dark chocolate bite, and then what's this other one?
Speaker 3: Salt?
Speaker 2: There's like no sugar, no sugar, it's added.
Speaker 4: It's a chocolate with no sugar added, which, like, how does that work? I don't know, so I haven't had one yet. I waited for you. It's keto. I don't know what that means, the sense it has that I'm reading the side of this actual caffeine half a cup of Joe.
Speaker 2: Now I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't drink coffee anymore. So I'm going to be bouncing off the walls. Which one did you open up?
Speaker 3: Almonds? Sea salt?
Speaker 2: No bad, it's just dark chocolate. And then we're just going to be like buzzing.
Speaker 3: I can't believe I'm participating in this.
Speaker 2: You I can believe it.
Speaker 3: It's fantast You got me on the chocolate.
Speaker 2: I know that was my lure.
Speaker 4: So anyway, they're not paying me or anything, but I thought it was cool that they wanted to send me this.
Speaker 3: I don't believe they say no sugar was added. There's literally sugar.
Speaker 2: That's that doesn't really task.
Speaker 5: Now, when when a brand reaches out to you, does it look like Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel where there's like hand comes out their finger touches.
Speaker 4: I was going for a walk and a hand came out of the sewer. Sorry, wake, that's just I'm joking.
Speaker 3: And then a spark of white and chocolate appeared.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I don't know.
Speaker 4: They just said do you want this? And I was like, yeah, I'll take chocolate. So I don't know if they're listening whatever.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, gluten in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was I mean, it wasn't That was not bad. It was it was what it was. What it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, full of caffeine too. So isn't there a caffeine and chocolate already?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think so, So now they're putting more. They had no sugar added, but caffeine. Yeah. Yeah, it's kind of ridiculous, right, this whole situation.
Speaker 4: The fact I participated, the fact that I got something like that for free, the fact that I made you eat it. That it's like caffeinated chocolate and a little piece is half the same as half.
Speaker 2: A cup of coffee.
Speaker 3: Yeah, car Ridicula.
Speaker 2: I gotta be.
Speaker 4: Careful because my nephew, he comes over every week and he has like terminator vision for chocolate.
Speaker 2: No, I don't eat a little four year old.
Speaker 3: You go to the bathroom, eats like four of them.
Speaker 4: That's what he would do too. He likes off the walls. He likes to eat four of everything because it's four.
Speaker 3: Of course. Anyway, got four fingers in the thumb. Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 2: It is ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Well, Elizabeth, you got a second, You got a second. Now they're all caffeinated and chocolate geeked up. I want to talk art, sir. You like art?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I love art.
Speaker 3: Yeah. You know how an artist typically chooses a medium they favor, Well, you know they might by medium, I mean like paint or clay or bass, guitar, mixtape, paper mache, or even say naked Europeans coded invasoline. Sure, what about Matthew Barney. So my point is there are also artists who don't settle on one media. They can do mixed media, right, Okay, So we have the visual collage artist, the sculptor, possibly the filmmaker. Definitely, the pop Dance Collective CNC Music Factory. Come on, Elizabeth. They combine dance people, video elements, and.
Speaker 4: Lycra people who dance while they're waiting for their popcorn to pop in the microwave.
Speaker 3: Yes, we'll count that mixed media. Now. My point is, artists often discover a medium one that allows them to speak to the world, to all of us in a new way, and they go, this is my voice, right. This is because this allows them to comment on the human condition, or on their own humanity, or on existence itself, Elizabeth, or just maybe a simple emotion. Elizabeth. Today, I'd like us to consider a very important, unique artist. Yes, one whose medium is carceral. These are non traditional artists, Elizabeth. Who'se medium this one is, it's a defiant act. They work in escape. Today we consider the prison escape artist. Oh, this is Ridiculous Crime a podcast about absurd and outrageous capers, heists, and cons. It's always ninety nine percent murder free and ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Yes, puppy, Now, mommy, you like the arts, right, you kind of fancy like that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm so fancy.
Speaker 3: I hope you brought your big brain today because this will be a cultured affair. Wow, oh yes, today I want to speak of the metia of the prison escape artist. To put this outsider artist, if you will, into their proper perspectives. Let us first consider the mon art world x stant.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, which is all just money laundering. But go on.
Speaker 3: Exactly now they're already criminals, but they're free. So now my point is this is I went and I was reading, you know, like Art in America, art World, art net online, and I found this is from Artnet's national art critic Ben Davis, and this is dated March third, twenty twenty one. He's talking about the state of the art world today.
Speaker 2: I love his clothes, right, yeah.
Speaker 3: Totally great. I mean went from making really great industrial workwear into commenting on contemporary now his articles the title get me in to start. Just listen to this title, Elizabeth Why causes? That's kaws apostrophe s Global success may well be a symptom of a depressed culture, a drift in nostalgia and retail therapy colon how to make sense of the popularity of an artist known for sad cartoons and collectible toys. I love that title. It's like a nineteenth century book title. So, now do you know the former street artist turned Galerust cause A W S all caps not familiar. You likely seen his work. He has what art critics call a signature motif. What's his motif? Great question? Elizabeth crossed out eyes. The eyes are xes. You see a big circle headed creature, eyes like crossed out eyeballs, and so his eyes are just singular excess.
Speaker 4: I love when people do that in drawings to signify someone is dead.
Speaker 3: I like it when they signify someone's blotted.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a good one. That's exes for eyes.
Speaker 3: You like exed out eyes. You're so gangster. Now his uh, you know, he's probably a signature character. Think graffiti. It's known as Companion. It's this gray, big skullhead of a Mickey Mouse looking cartoon and he's got ext out eyes.
Speaker 2: Okay, then I have seen h right.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's cause. Now his work is very now right according to art net and I quote, the culture of Cause is closer to some general sense of what a very large and enthusiastic public wants from art. This is what the art people are saying, not me.
Speaker 2: We're all supposed to pause for the cause, Why is that?
Speaker 3: Why do people want this?
Speaker 4: All?
Speaker 3: They got the answers for you, Elizabeth, Here we go quote, So why what itch does it scratch? We live in an era of reboots and remakes of regurgitated intellectual property. The most mainstream layer of mainstream culture consists of things like comic book movies and Star Wars, reprocessing teenage affections in endlessly permuting ways. What in visual art hits the same nerve?
Speaker 2: Hm?
Speaker 3: Right, so he's like, oh yeah, blame the reboots now.
Speaker 2: Basically, in all.
Speaker 3: Honesty, this is a valuable question to consider. The folks over at artnet are kind enough to supply the antidote to our modern dilemma. They get to the heart of it, they tap that root, Elizabeth. The answer lies in one word. What is that word? Emotion? And how it is conveyed? Okay? Artnet argues that work like cause quote register and emotion without really making you feel that emotion. The work's very vacant, and its seems to suggest a low level depression running through society, so pervasive that deserves as a neutral sign of the arts nowness, rather than reading as a personal feeling expressed by the artist, So basically there is no there there as Yeah, exactly as Dorothy Parker would say, that personal feeling expressed by the artists. That's what we're after today, Elizabeth, that undeniable motion, that irresistible freedom. In this case, it is freedom itself, extant, big capital letters. How is freedom represented? How is it expressed? How is it felt by the intended audience? Elizabeth? I got a question for you. Do you have a favorite prison escape movie?
Speaker 2: No? No, favorite prison escape movie?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like people busting out of prison, you know, from I know, Tango and Cash to the Great Escape. You got choices.
Speaker 2: Let's say Great Escape.
Speaker 3: I'm really having catch onally break out of being imprisoned momentarily.
Speaker 2: But anyway, I just try to rack my brain, you know, you know I'm slow in the head.
Speaker 3: Princer Dash Sean Connery, The Rock Boom. There you go, and it's got a local angle for you.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, okay, let's say The Rock. Then it's always been my favorite. I'll argue that forever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you were saying that the way into the office.
Speaker 2: You're like talking to myself outside.
Speaker 3: A producer, David, you have a favorite a prison escape movie or even just to escape from an incarceration movie.
Speaker 5: Uh, yes, I'm trying to think, well, like this, but it's proprietary. Yeah, I mean I can't tell you no. Uh what about like many favorites, you know, the World is my favorite? Uh, the Island, like the one where it's sci fi and they're trying to get off the entire.
Speaker 3: Island is a prison. That's a pretty good choice. Not a great movie, but a good idea. Yeah, there you go. That's the whole thing is you can get down to the essential with the prison escape movie. We all relate. You're like, I want to get the hell out of there. I get it. Yeah, right, Like Shawshank Redemption, how about that one, there's a great prison movie. People feel that ending. They're like, yeah, I'm rooting for that guy who may or may not have murdered his wife. By the end, we know he didn't, but still, okay, sorry I ruined that one anyway. But Migrate is the great escape. That's my favorite. Great It has everything. Elizabeth has Steve McQueen defeating smug Nazis. There's motorcycle jumps, machine guns. There was the Daring Tunnel escape. Of course, there's the French.
Speaker 2: Resistance all your favorite things, so totally.
Speaker 3: Charles Bronson in a rowboat, James Coburn on a on a bicycle, Yes, exactly, Bowser Dave gets it now. Second question, do you have a favorite real life prison escape.
Speaker 2: All the ones that we've done on this show.
Speaker 3: Way to handsome team player.
Speaker 2: No, I'm like Rob Low in the NFL. I like it all the concept.
Speaker 3: I just love escape now these days, the greatest living prison escape artist is the man el Myth l Legend El Choppo.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah, those little cool tunnels totally.
Speaker 3: Joaquin el Choppo Guzman aka Joacine the Shorty Guzman aka the Chopped One. Well, he was known at his peak as a prison like a rank prison escape artist, just dude like he was like a rank bowl but ranked prison escape artist. El Choppo escape not once but twice from maximum security pri.
Speaker 2: Didn they have like cute little Tudeland machines.
Speaker 3: Yeah, tunnel, I was telling you about that. That's his best escape in my opinion. Occurred in July twenty fifteen. L Chopo. He's locked up in the alta Plano maximum security prison. Video surveillance shows l Choppo pacing in a cell right and then suddenly he lowers himself into this little hole in the shower area, slides down into some makeshift tunnel and disappears. Now he was in a tunnel that his men had been digging under the prison. They they've been, you know, waiting for him. They'd prepared was a motorcycle like and the motorcycle was a fixed to two rails like this own little personal railroad track totally right.
Speaker 4: And now the small it looked like one of those things outside of a supermarket that you can put exactly.
Speaker 3: So the chopped one he gets on this and the tunnel is low enough that he wont hit his cup, so it's like a short little tunnel. He's gotten on a little motorbike. He goes brim when he goes tootling off down that tunnel. Right, tunnels well made authorities. They had estimated it would have taken probably eighteen months to two years of like contract labor to get this done. His men got it done in sixteen months at the maximum, because that's when he went into the prison. Anyway, to hide their work, they had bought land and near the prison. Then they constructed like an anomaloust looking cinder block building. It was supposed to be ostensibly a budega to come. Then they use that to hide their work, which is like you know, earth movers and all sorts of stuff. The subterranean tunnel that they dug, it stretched more than a mile long, and then it gets under the tunnel right to where his little you know, shower stall is like, nailed it right now. Of course, when Choppo finds his waiting motorcycle, he revs it up. Of course, races off down that it's all lit up the tunnel. He gets to know, so he's like, it's a mile long ride, like it's like an amusement park ride for one right and boom he gets to the end. His waiting men are like, hey, el Choppo. And now he was recaptured eventually. You know, we know about that because his you know, his wife was just released from prison. But he's still in an American prison. Very little chance you will ever escape. The maximum super max prisons are a little bit different than like say.
Speaker 2: A Mexican in Colorado.
Speaker 3: I believe so. I do not know, but I think so. Now the chopped one, since you know, he's a real bad guy, so we will not be celebrating him. He would definitely smash our one percent rule on murder.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, like his stories.
Speaker 3: Any story about a Choppin is like sixty seven percent murder. Just anyway. Also, by the way, I look this up his uh this is kind of I thought ironic. His name El Choppo. It can mean many things, right, I say it means the chopped one. It doesn't really mean that. It's from the verb. The verb chapar chapar. It means to plate, right, but it means like to plate a meal, right, so you go, oh yeah, But it also means to play, as in to seal something like if you're to veneer a door. Right, So yeah's like chapar laparta. Right. So chappar also means to shut in or to lock up, so as in to lock up a criminal, like chap dela cuente. Right, So his nickname also means the locked up one.
Speaker 6: Oh anyway, moving on, I'd like to introduce you to a man more in line with the spirit of the show, the prison escape artist Alfred George Hines street name Houdini Hines his chosen medium prison escape Now.
Speaker 3: Born in nineteen seventeen, he hailed from a criminal artist family. His father was a practitioner of the light fingered arts, a journeyman of theft and robbery, but he made the mistake to work in mixed media and he became an armed artist. That choice cost his father his freedom and eventually left the young Houdini Hines with a father sized hole in his life. Yeah, so at age seven, Houdini hines, he hits the bricks. He ran away from the group home that he'd been housed after his father's incarceration, this newly minted street urchin or he goes in runn oft. Yeah, seven years old, right, but he doesn't have like the car and the little bricks under his feet. He's just on the streets now, Houdini hines. He gets into the family business, small time theft. He wasn't much better at it than his old man, and he gets caught stealing once when he was five well, no, sorry seven anyway. Jane's addiction lyrics socide Elizabeth Houdini hines. He gets locked up just like dear old dad right now, but he didn't like life on the inside. Now, so once again, what's he do? He are u n nft this time from prison he breaks out or you know, from like a group youth Home and anyway, it's like an institution for wayward use. Right, So what's next for old Houdini Hines. Well, he's British and there's a world war going on, oh, the second of his kind. He was born in nineteen seventeen, so at this point we're in the late thirties, are thirty nine forty, so the second war of this kind, World war. Since he's a fighting age that they're like, oh, we don't care if you've been in the stir you're near now in the army. Yeah, so he's off to the war. But just like prison, this doesn't work for old Houdini Hines. I mean one, he doesn't like uniforms. Two, he doesn't like being told what to do. He doesn't like being told where to eat, when to go to sleep. So this ruled out prison, ruled out the British Army. He's like, I got a bounce, right, So he's now at this point, what's he going to do, But he's in the Army's decide it's not going to work for him. Well you know the answer, he are U n n oft. He deserves the British Army. Now still rather young man with much life in front of him. Old Houdini hindes he needs to find a place for himself amidst the flow of life. Naturally, he gravitated back to the family business, petty crime, and he gets rested again. Let's take a break, and after this I'll tell you about how he launched his career as a prison escape artist. All right, Elizabeth.
Speaker 2: Zarin', they're so angry.
Speaker 3: I know. I'm fired up, dude. I love this prison escape artists. These are my people's I've been wanting to tell you about this.
Speaker 2: I am vibrating at a higher plane of caffeine.
Speaker 3: Oh there's that that too.
Speaker 2: I'm like a high hot wire.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm already like pretty high to high wire act. And then you added caffeine and chocolate, Like I'm buzzing enough to make cocaine nervous.
Speaker 2: How many of those you have you eaten so far?
Speaker 4: For?
Speaker 3: What is that bad? When to go? Tell me when to go?
Speaker 2: It's totally cool, legal cool anyway?
Speaker 3: So where was I? L's right? Who Denie Hines?
Speaker 4: Uh huh?
Speaker 3: Getting he's busted. He's no better at crime than his old man. So this is nineteen fifty three. At this point, he's, uh, this time he was busting on a jewel robbery charge. The store is actually a furniture business. I don't know British law. It was called a jewel robbery. Maybe there was like necklaces in the furniture store. I don't know this I was. I'm compiling it from news stories. Yeah, made no sense to me anyway. He insisted he was innocent, and not only that, he wasn't even there, Like, I don't even know. I don't even know those dudes my parents, Yes, exactly, I don't know how I could have been in these anyway, he promises. After, you know, denying he had anything to do with those chaps doesn't matter to the bobbies. They're like, yes, so you're going anyway back to prison? So whodini Hines is arrested, tried, convicted, done deal. Since twelve years in prison. While he's on the inside, he's confronted with a totality of himself and he's like, oh, alone with nothing but himself his time, he digs into what he knows, he pushes past and finds something a new Elizabeth. He finds his true artistic medium, prison escape, a way to express himself in his moment in the world and in his work, Elizabeth, we who appreciate this medium, we find a quote wonderful all over tactility, you know, Elizabeth, exactly, an undeniable jush. No, Elizabeth, there's an approachable immediacy to prison escape. You know. Yeah, the work. It both speaks to the essential and it heightens one's awareness of the poll of both time and tradition, as it equally valorizes that which we all hold sacred.
Speaker 2: Are you writing for Artnet Now?
Speaker 3: Our freedom, Elizabeth, our very lives, our essence, of me, of you, of us. We are free? Yes, right, okay. Anyway, as Houdini hines begins to play with form, he makes strident leaps. He's in a really quick study. He becomes a master almost immediately once he focuses on the medium of prison escape. You find him at the outset of his career, Elizabeth, like a church gargoyle pose there, familiar, repugnant, but yet he doesn't care, because he's busy watching you, stone cold, seemingly waiting for you to look away. Now Elizabeth nineteen fifty five rolls around. Finally someone looks away from this gargoyle, and Houdini Hines. He entered the art world with escape, and we'll call his first work the Key Be with Me. Okay with Me? Now that's my informal name for this work. That's not what he named it. But anyway, Whodini Hines was in Nottingham Prison, home of the Robin Hood at the time, and he was doing time twelve years. As I said right now, he had a stroke of genius. He's like, oh, I can become the key to my freedom. He began to focus his keen powers of observation on what mattered most, the key ring on the jailer's hip. Yeah, in particular, he studied the master key he knew promised him freedom. He studied it, and he studied it, he memorized it. Then he went to work in the prison shop and he copied the key from memory. What and he cut a new key from memory from memory. When he tested the fake key, he also had two other guys help him, so they were constantly kind of like judge each other's notes. Right, So he tested his fake key. He found his memory impeccable. The key worked perfectly. He walked right out of the prison gates, climbed up over a twenty foot prison stone wall. Freedo himself. He ran off to Ireland to keep his new found freedom. He found work in construction as a decorator and builder, got talented man, great eye. But it was a short lived taste of life outside, Elizabeth, because the detectives from Scotland Yard, the old flying squad boys, they caught up to him. Now Hodini Hines, he's captured nineteen fifty six, roughly eight months after his prison escape, Elizabeth Boom, freedom taken away, and by nineteen fifty seven, two years later, he's back in court in London working on his next great work. It was an impromptu piece, but yet again it spoke to his developing genius as a prison escape artist. Now where do you think he took his art for him? Elizabeth? You'll find this that this created maison scene and Houdini Hines's work. It is, if you will and pardon the expression, key to his work. Now, his prison escapes, they are highly imaginative, sure, but they are also highly idiosyncratic.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 3: Yes, this is what gives his work such an irreverent sense of wonder and joy. It's a playful quality, Elizabeth. And now you know why he's doing what he's doing. But yet you also marvel at how Houdini Hines reaches his aim. You'd see it right there. You're like, there's no way, and yet yeah he's able to. Okay, let's consider his next escape. As I said, impromptu piece of work. He sued the prison authorities took him to He's like, I'm taking you guys to court. Take me to court. Take you to court exactly Whodini Hines demanded his day in court. He gets it. He claimed that the prison commissioners had illegally arrested Remember he said he was never in that furniture store. I don't even know those chests, right, No, So the lawsuit was just a ruse. It was a pure spoke screen. Now. It was a timeless illusion, meant to throw sand into the gearbox of mind, this bureaucracy, Elizabeth. It was. It was a gesture, you know, it was meant to help him get free again with just one life, affirming sparring with fate. Now Houdini Hines is in Courton, London with his lawsuit. He asked to use the little boy's room. Okay, Now, he was like me, you know, in the minister before record. Yeah, he's like pop skin out if I chop into the little boy's room. Now, I don't know how he said it. Anyway, two guards they escorted him. Now, once he's in the loo, if you prefer, the guards took off his handcuffs so he could handle himself. And that's when Houdini Hines sprung his trap. Now he shoved both of the guards into the toilet stall. Then he slapped a padlock down that he had secreted on his person, locked the padlock. There had been two islets placed by his confederates on the door so they would match with the lock. Then he casually walked out of the court building, rejoined the flow of Londoners on Fleet Street, and bone voila. Wow, he was free. Yes, he was a living reminder of the meeting of escape. Elizabeth Houdini Hines embodied the human desire to shake off the yoke of society and return to a Russoian state in accord with nature. He could once again feel the wind, is what I'm saying, So once.
Speaker 4: Anyway, Purple emanating from your laptop, I'm looking over in the Purple pros.
Speaker 3: A lot of art in America, a lot of I mean it's amazing stuff. Right Anyway, he's captured five hours after he escaped from the courtroom, picked up at the airport. Yeah, he's out for five hours. One year later, Houdini Hines would unveil his next great work, Elizabeth, You'll find a great prison artist is never satisfied. They long to perform if they are locked up, they yearn for freedom. Sadly though, they must be locked up in order for them to express themselves in their chosen medium. Ah Calira now smash cut Chelmsford Prison. Houdini Hine was back behind bars. He'd cast about for inspiration and then he found it. He decided for his next great work he would do a one man retrospective, a look back at his first great work. So, Elizabeth, remember the first great work he was predicated on.
Speaker 2: What the key?
Speaker 3: Now? Prison escape is a fragile medium, and the four one is to imitate one self, to repeat oneself. It's like trying to, you know, recreate the same bubble. How do you do that? Often you will find the prison escape work can appear overly wrought, maybe rushed, poorly conceived. Not definitely him, because you know it can't feel derivative, but even if you're quoting from yourself. Right, even in failure, right, it didn't. It doesn't matter because it inadvertently restores the calming order of status quo, so it reifies society. Elizabeth, anyway, who do you need Hyde, he repeated himself. You did, brother did so a greater success. This time he is able to once again copy a jailer's key, and he walks out of prison. He returns again to Ireland. He's like, I gotta get out of angles.
Speaker 2: That all went so well last time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they the Irish are like what another Englishman? I don't know if he's in the right part of Ireland anyway. I could not tell you that. But all of it was repetition, right, because in the latest iteration he recognized it. In every act of creation, Elizabeth, one can also find an active destruction. But in that we find the fuel for the creation of something new, the ecology of art, if you will. Now Whodini Hines realized he'd overlooked a key detail in his previous work. What was it that he looked over, Elizabeth.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Creating a convincing new self.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, take.
Speaker 3: Out my prison outfit I need to reinvent strip. So this time he became William Herbert Bishop used car salesman. Yeah, so he We worked under this convincing new form for two years in Ireland. He was at the Similacrum until he was caught. How was he caught? He was driving a car with no license plates or registration. I couldn't quite I got two ways of tell him the story either way. Yeah, he didn't have his paperwork in order on a car. Remember, used car salesman. I think you'd have that covered. Anyway, He gets undone, not by bureaucracy, but rather by its absence, specifically the absence of paperwork. Elizabeth, Anyway, modern moment. Indeed, now in this details of Whodini hines work, we discover the vitality of life, but also the unceasing ironic humor of an unfeeling universe. You know what I mean? Anyway, In nineteen ninety six, Elizabeth, he finally did the expected. Yeah, he got a prison book deal.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank God to share his genius.
Speaker 3: Whodini Hines documented his art and his process in a book with the title Contempt of Court. I love that type. Now, okay, next time I got another one for you. This guy is the the creme de la creme. He is my man, Brian bow Larson, one of the truly great prison.
Speaker 2: Escap like Sampler, Oh my goodness.
Speaker 3: Yes, Brian bow Larson. He brings into thrilling, vivid detail and graphic focus the widely known fact that we can always feel the unmistakable impact of intention. Yeah right, you know it when you feel it? No, Elizabeth, you ever heard of? In my apologies to all the Danes listening and those who care about Danes, but I'm about to butcher this and so look, I swear I'm trying. But anyway, Vertous Lusi State Prison. Okay, okay, it's a charming spot, not at all really, but anyway, it's in alberts Lund and that is, if you aren't up on the latest in Copenhagen real estate. That's a suburb west of Copenhagen. Okay, yes, anyway. At the time, Brian bo Larsen, he was forty years old and he wanted to get free, Elizabeth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we all do.
Speaker 3: Larsen committed artists, He's often worked with traditional tools. For instance, to get out of the Ritisli State Prison, Larsen turned to the tried and true and the traditional. What tools did he use, Elizabeth? What were his forms to shape and to mold? What did he choose to work with?
Speaker 2: A wooden spoon, hacksaw oh.
Speaker 3: Okay, and a rope ladder?
Speaker 2: Oh that's classic, told traditional.
Speaker 3: So there was a fifteen meter drop he had to negotiate. There were bars on his cell window he had to negotiate. These were his primary constraints, of which against he had to battle. He opted for a hacksaw to transform the iron bars into decorative elements no longer functional as prison bars.
Speaker 4: I thought he would like hack into his ribs so he could collapse his rib cage to slip through the bars internal to extra Yeah.
Speaker 3: Different, saw now. He also fashioned two rope ladders, one to climb up because this was his nod to the boldness of Icarus. The second rope ladder was to climb down to the other side of the prison walls.
Speaker 2: I didn't know there were upladders and down ladders.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, this he needed to He needed a nod to the childhood fable of Rapunzel. A down ladder and an up ladder. That was a nod to.
Speaker 2: I gotta find out if the ladder in my garage is an upper a down.
Speaker 3: Well, it depends on how you use them. If you have a wall and you put one on one side and one on the other side, and you're on this side, you got an up ladder down line.
Speaker 2: But if you put the up ladder on the wrong side and the down ladder on the other side.
Speaker 3: You gotta get some kind of help with that. He got a ladder, he's you grow now. What had set him off at the moment was a parole board hearing that determined he wasn't going to the outside anytime soon. He was like, no, no, no, no, Brian bo Larsan do not like that. So Brian bow Larson, he says, he went out and he bought himself some betting like that was he got out of a parole hearing. He's liked, pop up, get me some bedding the department store. Yeah, no, I actually have it from I got his words and he said, and that quote, and then I weave twenty eight meters of rope out of it. So he gets some stuff betting and he's like, I'm on it. Huh makes himself some rope.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: He wove his tool of freedom for his next great work. He lived in a ground floor cell, right, so without windows, so he would have to get up to the second floor in the inside the prison before he didn't even encounter away to get out. So the windows were only, as I said, on the top floor cells. But not only that, many of the windows they were already shattered and broken. A comment on the modern society anyway, left open to the elements. This was yet another punishment in the prison during wintertime. So Brian bow Larson, he sees this as a hint of freedom, punishment turned into liberation and yet another tool to express himself Elizabeth. So once his bed sheep rope was done, he braided a second. Then he ready two rope ladders up and down. Quote. I throw the rope out of window at seven o'clock in the evening, when it is dark. Down on the ground floor where I have the cell, I saw the beam, and at three in the morning, I go out, the beam being the spotlight of the prison. Yeah yeah, right, So he's outside now, but he's still not yet free because he's still in the prison grounds. He still has to climb off the roof that he is now on. He nearly falls because it's like winter time Slipper. He secures himself in his one true possession, his life, Elizabeth, and now his prison escape. I tied the rope but could see that it was very secure, but I chose to take the chance. Luckily, I managed to crawl over halfway down. He made it half way and then fate played a hand Elizabeth. Because he is an artwork, it is occurring with both the artists and the medium in the moment. It is a performance dance, if you will, a prison escape artist who is a performance.
Speaker 2: Artist, and it's ever evolving totally.
Speaker 3: As he explains it, quote, all of a sudden, the rope breaks, so I fell the last five or six meters. I landed on the asphalt on one foot and then on my tail. I can feel that something happened there that wasn't supposed to happen. I thought I wouldn't get back up, but you also want to leave, so I fought my way up and jumped in through some bushes and away. So actually busts his butt on his on the exactly and he's like, oh, my cocksacks. And then he's like, I need to lie down a while. But he's like, oh, I can't lie down here right outside the prison, and so he bounces for the bush is gone. His latest artistic expression was rousing, if painful success. His choice of tools worked brilliantly well, if only momentarily. One prison escape artist critic. We will call him the head of security of the Copenhagen West Regional Police, Kim Svinsingen. He said, we received notification on Saturday morning at eight twenty, but we do not know when he was last seen. I mean, it's not the best art criticism, but that's what they said. Anyway, Brian bo Larson was indeed free dazzling success. Now, in many ways, in a rather philosophical mood, one might say one might be amused how Larsion's latest work was both a wink and a nod to the power of the flexible rope to overcome the unbending iron bar. Right, Okay, In many ways, you might say that Larson's work is both satirical and imbued with a sense of the immediate and the timeless.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would totally say that it's irresilient. I've been saying it in my head this whole time.
Speaker 3: It has a simplicity that speaks for itself. Yeah, completely, no keys from memory from him. He just plays a classics baby bed sheet, rope hacksaw. But for our next one, we bring in a new element, the bulldozer.
Speaker 2: Wait.
Speaker 3: Yes, His next break work was titled the Bulldozer. As with the rope, ladder and the Hacksaw, he again returned to a bold strength to remind us all of the power and joy of freedom. With this work, Elizabeth, he also maximized his planning and included a commentary on the meaning and the need for community.
Speaker 4: I much prefer his earlier works that were sort of a statement on the liminal quality of the.
Speaker 3: Space of the prisoner in what we would call a punishing, impunitive society.
Speaker 2: But you are you in the prison? Are you out of the prison? Are you in?
Speaker 3: Are we in a prison on the outside?
Speaker 2: Am I just a prison myself?
Speaker 3: Are we the prison guards of our own prison?
Speaker 2: Am I the prison of the prison? And the prison to a prison?
Speaker 3: Well? Think about that now, let that ruminate. So with a Bulldozer his next great peace, Brian bo Larson not only set himself free, but he did, as Audrey Lord would insist, he freed eleven others Elizabeth, as Lord said, quote I am not free, while any woman is unfree, even when her shackles are very different from my own, Brian bo Larson said, saying, brother, but for dudes in prison with me now, in nineteen ninety five, he unveiled as late as work. He orchestrated a triumphant act. He asked a buddy on the outside act against the walls that divided them. Yes, so his buddy went and fired up. But you guessed it a bulldozer, and he drove it down to the prison. And then what did he do, Elizabeth? He smashed the bulldozer right into the prison divided them, transforming it via his introduction of an aspirational nothingness, leaving behind a great hole in the wall. Now, with one great bum's rush, Brian bow Larson and his eleven disciples, his acolytes of freedom, they fled prison. Elizabeth, you can witness this work for yourself on YouTube. It has been preserved because there was someone on the outside recording it on video for posterity. What this document of freedom achieved. Clearly they knew it was going to happen. With a rough and barbaric yop, the newly freed shouted their brief manifesto, celebrating the thrill of their will to life. Their shared manifesto was just one word Elizabeth, Yes, now, Yoko ono. She would be pleased with the urgency of this and the fact that they had quoted from her. Now. Some have criticized this work for the risks and the shock of it all. But for me, Elizabeth, I'd argue that as a prison escape artist, Brian bow Larson owes us no sense of responsibility. He isn't and purely a devote of freedom. Now, Additionally, I would say the hyperrealism of this work, The Bulldozer, it does obscure some of the macro contemplation that arises from the questions considered. We lose sight of some of his commentary on life. It gets obfuscated by the unequivocally graphic. You know, the prisoner is rushing out of a dark hole. It's scarce and you cannot contemplate the truth before you. Now, it's like kind of like Maplethorpe's pissed crist of his Ubra, or it's his version of Madonna's book Sexy. It overcomes the message. Now, this is a danger of being such a prolific Artistly the Houdini Hines, he was more of a Beethoven to Larsen's Mozart. He like Houdini Hines, he only gave us a few great symphonies of freedom, while Brian brow Larssen he was prolific as that wicked, humored child Elizabeth. He gave us twenty two successful prison escapes twenty two. Now we won't cover them all, not all twenty two, but I do want to highlight a couple more of his greatest works. So let's take a little break, refresh, and I'll be back with more of Brian bo Larsen. Okay, Elizabeth art lover, We're back ready. Yes, I think that we've been discussing, you know, Houdini Hines, Brian bo Larsen, But I think to you know, kind of synthesize this conversation. We should also remind ourselves that to understand any artists, we must look to their home life, their beginnings, because that is where the artist is created in ways that even they don't understand. Now, what was it that first drove Brian bow Larsen to long for escape? His father, Elizabeth, a rough, brutish man violent to him and his mother in some ways. You would say that his father formed and shaped the prison escape artist as a young man. That makes sense, right as Larson had himself he has noted, and it came with a cost to become the prison escape artist that he is. Quote. Of course, I've missed out on a lot of things in this life, with all the years I've been in prison. But crying over spilt milk doesn't help. Now that said, Larson has confided that even if he could have lived the other life, it could well have happened. He knows that he could have gone the straight and narrow path. Sure with thenology he has today he says he still would choose his life as a prison escape artist. Really, he's true to the game. Despite all the risks, the times he nearly died, he would do it all again. This is the brave commitment that we require of a great artist, even the prison escape artist Elizabeth Now. In October two thousand and four, Larson had perhaps his closest run in with death and his own demise. Yes, I called this next piece the garden Hose. It involves a whole mess of manure. Larson was working in the prison yard. He was raking and shoveling up leaves into a wheelbarrow. He'd already planned his move, of course, and then the universe it winked at him this moment, His moment had arrived. So what do I mean by that? Well, Brian bowl Larson's about to get free. He's about a bus right back out. So at this point he's locked up in prison. But as he says, he has a job. Like many prisoners, his job was yardwork. So he's doing the leaves. But and I say leaves, I don't mean just raking leaves. He's got grass, sod. He's cutting up rolls of earth. Real prison yard.
Speaker 2: Who was a trustee who did that to the landscape?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and real like you know, curling up the saws. So in that mess of earth to be that he's right now moving, he spies freedom, Brian bolars and he climbs inside. He burrows down into this dirt to be and now with him. He'd also secreted a length of garden hose, so he gets set under this near crushing weight and he waited for the truck to come. They're supposed to pick up all this earth he set aside and lift the container and dump it into the back of the truck and then drive out of the prison and believe it to Brian Bolarsten to explain his work the garden hose. It all began with a prison sheet. Once again, this was a europe so it was a prison duvet cover. Quote. One day, I took a duvet cover. I had made a proper pile of soil and had two wheelbarrows of I crawled into the duvet cover and then I had my friend cover me with earth. This was risky because, as I said, Elizabeth, it's dangerous. The soil can crush you, shifts, it moves so as Larson noted, that kind of soil is heavy and you can't move it to the sides because of the container. So you're completely strapped down there. It was very difficult to breathe. You had to pull it really deep for you to feel like you were getting fresh air. I lay down there for twenty minutes. So twenty minutes, he's barely breathing through this garden hose. As I said, garden hose. So at one end, it's about forty centimeters long, so you can picture it right now. He was sucking clean air to that garden hose. But he can easily get blocked or clogged. You know what happens. Then you can't like just push up through the earth anyway. He's dancing there on the rim of life, buried in earth, already a premature grave, and he hears the joyous sound of freedom approaching. Then the truck came out. He gave an adrenaline rush. When you can feel that forklift grab you, and then you're on your way out of the gate. Oh so he's out, Elizabeth. He's free once again in his work, free as you and me, only he's more free. He's way more free than we are. He burrows out of his hiding place. He spotted though by the truck driver who's still behind the wheel. The guy was like taking a break or something. He's like, oh, oh, my timing's wrong. Huh so, Brian bow Larson, He doesn't hurt the truck driver, right said, He just runs away because he's not that kind of guy. Of course, he gets caught arrested a few months later, and he was not returned to the same prison. Instead, he was transferred to a place called Odense Arrest. Now he was not there long. You don't need to memorize this, but anyway, by this point he is a mid career prison escape artist and now he's working with the power and the confidence of one two thousand and five, one year after his previous escape, Larsen again longed for a deep, clean breath of fresh air, so he started to plot and plan. At first, I sat in another cell, and then I persuaded a guard to move me to the last cell because there's a toilet in the last cell, but it is not as long as the cell one and a half half meters of the cell is not actually the other outer wall. Then I hung up a flag with tupac. Wait, so what it is is he says he wanted to be on a cell right. That is uh, He's like, I want a longer cell, right. So the cell that he was in, he's like, I want to be on the very last cell on this row of cell blocks because there's a toilet there. And the guard's like okay, and he's like, yeah, now this cell it's not it's shorter because of the toilet, but that doesn't matter to him. So he has close he's closer access to the outer wall because the toilet has pipes running down the building, right, So then he hung up a flag with a Tupac as you do. Yeah right, I'm just I'm just laying out the facts. So, Elizabeth, I understand you may be wondering why a poster of Tupacy a poster. Well, it was a screen, Elizabeth, it was a mask. It was meant to distract with the provocation, much like Tupac's own use of his hyper masculinity to obscure his well developed feminine side. Right anyway, Brian bo Larson, he hung up his poster of Tupac, his screen, if you will, his mask on his prison wall, and he got to work. I put a little gizmo behind it so I could check if the guards or were checking the wall behind the flag. So that's what he wanted to do, was a test of the system, much like Tupac himself.
Speaker 2: That is spot on.
Speaker 3: The departed rapper would have likely appreciated this gestures what I'm saying. Anyway, after a few weeks the Tupac poster, it informs him that the guards aren't checking too closely. I grabbed a screwdriver from downstairs than the workshop and started digging. I got the screwdriver from another inmate. People want to help each other in prison, once again reifying the bonds of community. Anyway, in his work, he's established, as I pointed out, the bonds of community. But his escape was also his fellow prisoner's escape too, Elizabeth sure, whether symbolically or truthfully.
Speaker 2: I have a quick question, please, what was his original crime?
Speaker 4: It's like petty theft, remember, right, so, but has he done any other crimes?
Speaker 2: I'm just wondering if he keeps racking up Oh.
Speaker 3: Yes, every time you escape, that's a crime.
Speaker 2: Right So I'm just thinking, like he has the original.
Speaker 4: Crime and then years well, just because he keeps adding it to himself.
Speaker 2: He's doing this to himself.
Speaker 3: That's why I said, it's a commitment of an artist. He understands what he must work with and to point out the painful ironies of the bureaucracy, the greater criminals than he walked free. He must do this.
Speaker 2: It's a strong mission statement, thank you.
Speaker 3: So here's his latest escape, he said quote. I started digging on Friday Sunday night. I was done. My drawers and cupboards were filled with bricks. There was only an outer layer left, and I could look out to the supermarket on the other side. Of the prison. So I just sat there and enjoyed the huge hole in the wall and spoke a few bong heads. Oh yeah, So he's just smoking on a bomb, getting high with his Tupac poster and a little taste of freedom. Like I said, more free than any of us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's getting free.
Speaker 3: A quiet moment, a true moment, Elizabeth. And then what does he do with this? Then I laid the bricks out on the floor like a big H and a big A. That's spelled up a ha right, his parting message to his captors.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 3: So then I just dug out the last piece and he realized I can actually jump down directly from the wall, So he just jumps right onto the ground. He's done again, Elizabeth. He's free if only briefly he had made his escape. He hit out at this place of a friend of his that he knew, and then eventually he basically gets turned in by the friend. But the point is prison guards and the police that raid the friend's apartment and boom he gets apprehended. But in his work, the value of freedom was reiterated once again by its absence. Huh okay. The prison escape artists as an artist, Elizabeth, what do you like about their chosen medium?
Speaker 2: I like the immediacy and the emergency.
Speaker 3: Same same. I mean, it's undeniable, it's irresistible, and the freshness comes as part of.
Speaker 2: The form at the nowness of it.
Speaker 3: Exactly now at this point, Brian boy Larsen once again, He's in his forties on the lamb. After his most recent escape, the man now known as the Escape King was once again ready to gobble up all the life he could, all that was on offer while he was free. First up, he stole a car. You're asking about how he racks up charging but how.
Speaker 2: Can you call this man? I mean he escapes multiple times. He's not the king of it. The king is the one who escapes and is never brought back.
Speaker 3: Inferent views of kings. Kings are allowed to make mistakes, but it's constant victories I want from my royalty.
Speaker 2: Is he born to a line of escape kings? What do you?
Speaker 3: I don't know anyway, As I'm getting back to my metaphoric king, thank you and God, he is a king? You know, no, God, what's a god to a king? What's a king to a god? Elizabeth? Where was I anyway? Christmas time. So this Christmas time he's free. He stole a car, all right, so where is he? I do that?
Speaker 2: Every year is Christmas.
Speaker 3: I'm plenty of opportunities to do crime. Everybody's out there like, hey, take my car. I'm like, thank you, buddy.
Speaker 4: Anyway, and when people say oh, no, help, that actually means take my car exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're like, please help mey be free of this burden. So but rather than me tell you about all this, Elizabeth, just close your eyes a picture. The wind of speed rushes past two years. You are in a speeding car, top down convertible win. You are also on an island at the moment. It's fun and Iland, to be exact, the nation of Denmark. It has a number of islands, and Funnin is one. It's also where Odense Prisons is located. But you know that at this point, the escape prisoner Brian bow Larsen has yet to run. He's mostly just laying low. And at the moment you are with him. You are the sex worker that Brian bul Larsen hired to accompany him on his sojourn of freedom and mayhem. He seemed like a fun guy. You thought he wasn't like your typical John's now alone with him in his car, Brian bow Larsen seems to be driving around rather aimlessly, just out to enjoy his freedom. Oh and he's also let you know that the car is stolen, so you're in a hot car. Okay, so there's one other thing. He's also high as hell on hallucinages. He told you that you're not sure which ones. He didn't quite He wasn't exactly, but from what you were guessing, is probably magic mushrooms. It doesn't seem to be affecting his driving too much anybody. He is speeding though, As you stare up at the stars kind of blurring past you in the darkness above, you can hear the tires whirring against the road. That road hum familiar, friendly, steady, solid. It mixes with the soundtrack of music that Brian bow Larsen likes and is bumping in the stolen car. He turns up the classic Tupac he's listening to. Brian bow Larson laughs to himself as the cool night air rushes through your wig and chills your cheeks a bit. Then you hear it the wheels squeal. He misses a turn, The car slides off the road, catches some air, and slams back down to earth, crashing against the tree and some bushes. The radiator whistle and winds. The engine runs choppy and uneven. It finally cuts off. You shake off the cobwebs in your mind and you find you're surprisingly fine, no broken bones, no major injuries. Then you hear it. A car door opens, You turn and you watch a Brian bow Larsen does what he does best. He r U N n oft right out of there, but he doesn't get far because he's accosted. He swings at his attack. He ducks a blow and then another, but he's caught by his second attacker. The weird thing is that you don't see anyone else. It just looked like Ed Norton in the fight club and beating himself up in a parking lot. Brian bow Larson is clearly fighting amaginary people. The funniest part is that he's losing. He keeps getting knocked down by the imaginary people. Then he scrambled back up to his feet, only to be knocked down again by his drug hallucination. You want to laugh, but you're really not in the mood because everything's just too strange. Finally, Brian bow Larsen rakes fore of his imagined attackers and he tears off, disappearing into the night. You gather up your stuff. You phone a friend asked them to come gather you up, and now you say you'll be the one waiting in the car parked against a tree. After a little while, you see headlights approach. You're like, oh, thank god. You smile at your rescuer, but then your smile it falls fast because you see that it's not your friend, but rather it's the police. They question you. They find that your story is rather impossible to believe Elizabeth at first, but then they believe you after you tell them the story three or four times. You even act out part of the fight with the imaginary people. The police they release dogs into the darkness, certain that Larson can't be too far away if he's just run off with a head full of drugs, and they're right. The dogs quickly locate a man walking in the dark of night, and here he's wearing a brown wig. You hear over the police radio, which is about as convincing as I don't know an afro on Gwyneth Paltrow. Anyway, doesn't take long for the Danish cops to confirm this is indeed their escape convict. You hear on the radio back inside, Brian. Yeah, Meanwhile, this has been one of the most entertaining nights you've had lately, I hope now, as best as I can tell, Elizabeth, Brian bow Larson is currently detained as a prisoner in Odense Arrest Prison. He had the remainder of his prison sentence to do the original seven years, plus there were all the new charges from his various times on the lamb to consider, like this time with you and the Stolen Car. As a final statement on his work, Elizabeth, being that he is one of the most prolific escape artists of all time, it's important that we contextualize, I think, Brian bow Larsen, don't you. Yeah, let's describe his impact as influence as a prison escape artist. I mean, yes, sure, we could waste our time with statements of the profundity of his work, you know, but we could also sit here and attempt to justify the significance of what his work says. But what also what it urges us with is, as you would say, insist siren pop song.
Speaker 2: I say that all the time, right, Yeah, But.
Speaker 3: Also there are his skeptics. What about his skeptics? None of this will matter to them. To his fans, this all matters. But what about to us, Elizabeth, the professionals left to assess it?
Speaker 2: Tow it parse? Yes, impact?
Speaker 3: What criteria do we use to criticize this work? Well, to me, Elizabeth, I'll answer that question. A prison escape artist is far more valuable to society than say, the con artist. Think about it this way, the con artists, what do they do? They remind us that nothing is as it first appears, that nothing should be believed. This is an important lesson to keep up the four of your mind. Sure, whatever, But it's also not as important as what the prison escape artist teaches us. What do they teach us there? In great question, Elizabeth, They teach us that, just like the whispers in the wind from the legacy of the Right Brothers, you are as free as you choose to be, but also you must be willing to pay the price for that freedom. Freedom is not essentially no, you pay a hefty for the Wright Brothers. That meant crashing, possibly dying for him. He means slipping off a roof and having his rope a ladder brick. Now, nothing can hold you back, is my point. So no prison walls formed against you can prosper, Elizabeth, not against the full force of the focused human mind and the will to overcome adversity. That's what the prison escape artist reminds us. They reify our sense of freedom. Now, anyway, prison escape artists work. They do work in a medium that's not typically celebrated. I understand that they're not typically written about it and celebrated, warn't sure whatever, But at one time, Elizabeth, the same could be said of street art. You know that, before Basquiat and Keith Herring, nobody would say, let's take street art seriously, That's all I'm saying. So, of course, yes you can't buy a prison escape I mean you kind of, he kind of can't. But you know what I'm saying, The art market will continue to ignore them, to their great loss, which is also what makes them so special. They are there for us, the people to celebrate, unable to be touched and ruined by the market. And it's money, Elizabe, and that's what makes them the sort of thing we celebrate here on ridiculous crime. So what's a ridiculous takeaway.
Speaker 4: My ridiculous takeaway is that I do not celebrate them the way you do because it's so moronic that they they want freedom, yes, and they just set themselves up to have that freedom taken away because they thought and like they put all this energy into it, but it's never really thought all the way through. And so you know, it's like I'm gonna make this rope ladder, but it's really not long enough. I'll just drop and then I'm gonna hurt myself and I'm gonna go hide in the woods and then they'll find me in two days.
Speaker 2: And what did that hurt?
Speaker 4: You?
Speaker 2: More time? Less freedom? And they just keep racking up less freedom.
Speaker 3: So what matters most for freedom?
Speaker 5: Are you saying like it's a Sissyphian? I mean, isn't that the ultimate statement on the human condition?
Speaker 3: Thank you, Dave.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think he's on my sepe.
Speaker 2: I like my escape artists stay and escape. I dont know about y'all.
Speaker 3: But then so you're you're looking at more of the escape artists in their original natural form.
Speaker 4: The true kings, the true kings who get out and stay out.
Speaker 2: That's who I will applaud.
Speaker 3: You have a very high bar to Claire, I do well. I just think you know, hey, thanks for asking. Oh well, you know I no longer expected listenbit to be quite honest. I mean maybe it'd be more likely for producer Dave to ask me at this point. Anyway, my whole point is I just like him because they have fun. They're just like, no, you said, what, don't touch it. I'm touching it. That's what I like. Come about it. Anyway, that's my ridiculous takeaway. As always, you can find is online ridiculous crime, Twitter, Instagram, and always we look forward to hearing from you. For instance, we had one of our listeners I am Sparkle Loreene on Twitter known as road in London. They reached out to us and told me personally about the Sri Lankan national handball team. That turned into a great episode and I was passed a note from the interns that I totally forgot to mention that when I did the episode. So thank you. I am Sparkle Lorene and to the rest of you listeners, please keep them coming and we will give you. I won't forget again, all right, Thanks for listening. We'll catch you that Crime. Ridiculous Crime is hosted by elizabethdutt AND's Aaron Burnett, produced and edited by a resident prison escape collector, Dave Kustin. Research is by Marissa bad Bad, Lee, Roy Brown, and Andrea Like a Bird on a Wire song Sharpened Hear. Our theme song is by Thomas Don't call Me Bruce, Lee and Travis Only call me Bruce on Tuesdays. The host wardrobe provided by Botany five hundred. Executive producers are Ben Mama, I don't want to go Bowling' and No my favorite color is green, not brown.
Speaker 2: Cry Say It one More time.
Speaker 6: Crime.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio four more Podcasts. My heart Radio visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows,