Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Molly John Fast and this is Fast Politics, where we discussed the top political headlines with some of today's best minds. And President Trump is polling at thirty two percent approval rating. We have such a great show for you today. Notices Evan mic Moros Santorro stops by to talk about Trump's new low in his approval rating. Then we'll talk to New Jersey Senator Andy Kim about his medikids proposal. But first the news.
Speaker 2: So Mally dald Trump has one fixation that is not decorating. Every time I see the Oval Office, there's some new gold bullshit up. But when he's not thinking of that, he's thinking of the Save Act. Even though Republicans are saying, please, please stop. Trump has never been very into consent.
Speaker 1: He's not going to pass the Save Act. You don't. You have all of these senators who do not want to knew the filibuster. You have the Yolo Caucus, Cornyn and till Us. You have the Utah senator who is already the new Utah Senator, the man who has Mett Romney seat, who has already said that he has concerns. I mean, that's a junior Senator. There's no world in which Republicans break the filibuster to pass the Save Act by the August Research Recess, and Carolyn Lovett can say whatever she wants, it's not going to happen. First of all, even if they pass the Save Act, they wouldn't be able to get it going because, first of all, federalizing elections would just go into court and court and it would be in court forever. You and I both know, because there's no world in which they could federalize elections in time between the primaries and the actual midterms. This is just like Donald Trump freaking out trying to figure out what he can do. And look. The other thing is the fact that Todd Blanche. You know, Donald Trump has this Todd Blanche nomination. It is not going to vote. It was supposed to go to a vote yesterday. They pulled it because Cornan's is said no, is not going to vote for it. Untill us too. So you have Donald Trump tweeting about John Cornyan. You cannot be tweeting about John Cornan and also asking John Cornan to kill the filibuster. It's just not how any of this works. So my gas is that none of this is going to happen, and they're about to go out to recess and what they come back, it'll be September.
Speaker 2: Could you clarify for me. So you're saying you think Todd Blanch is never going to get confirmed.
Speaker 3: Is that what you're saying.
Speaker 1: I think Todd Blanche is going to be acting. And in fact, what's so stupid about this is Trump is like, well, we're just going to wait until after the mid Trumps. Okay, So Cornan is from Texas, So maybe Trump gets Paxton. Maybe, I mean, if the polling is right today, he gets tell Rico, who is not voting to confirm Todd Blanche. And then that other seat, Tilla's seat. The Democrat is way up in North Carolina, and you know he's been on this podcast. Everybody's favorite governor of North Carolina, Roy Cooper. And there's a world in which those two senators are replaced by Democrats who are not going to vote for the Todd Blanche revolt. I mean, here's the thing about the Todd Blanche confirmation fight. These two Republicans want Todd Blanche to say that Donald Trump cannot have IRS immunity forever and ever. This is not some crazy ask here they want him to put in writing what he said during his hearings where he is at least ostensibly under o's I mean, this is not craziness, and he won't do it now, well, I won't Todd Blanche do it, probably because Donald Trump doesn't want him to. And this is where we are right. Cornon has refused to support Blanche's nomination over Trump's cushy settlement deal with the IRS and the fact that he won't put him. Writing that the IRS is a no go and that the one point eight billion dollars slush fund is a no go is proof. I think that Donald Trump still thinks he can get it from top Ranch. And I think also it's important to remember like Cornin and Tillis are not operating in vacuum. They see that Donald Trump is polling at Bush numbers, they see he's pulling at thirty two percent. They know that the IRS thing and the slush fund are both super unpopular, so like it's not going to get more popular. This is not a moment to try and pass some legislation which is like a very very controversial legislation that almost no one wants, Like if he wanted this, he should have tried to do it when he first got into office.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Somali, I am sure you've heard, since you're often on Morning Joe, that socialism was on the rise and we really need to be fearful of this. And by that I mean that Donald Trump's covers department quietly and now seven new equity stakes in private companies. Our socialist president is seizing the beads of production. How are you feeling, comrade, You.
Speaker 1: Stole my chick. So here's what's happening. Donald Trump is seizing the means of production. The Commerce Department headed by Howard Lutnik, who, as you may know, percent growth in twenty twenty six, you know, we have not that we have one percent, two percent. They're going to nationalize seven companies. What why? Because these people do not really believe in capitalism. And any time that Fox News insists that a Democrat wants to seize the companies, wants to seize the means of production, they should be referred directly to Howard Lutnik and Donald Trump and all of the people who are doing sketchy things with their beloved corporations, because none of this is how capitalism is supposed to work.
Speaker 3: On the socialist president, and I got Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: Damn, that's right, baby. He's an atheist and he's a socialist, but not like you want.
Speaker 2: So I think that there's an interesting thing that you and I have been talking about a lot recently, which is that after Platner, a lot of people were shocked that Jenet Mills was still down six poids compared to Platner, even after the horrible accusations he had. So now we have a poll that I think is telling you, because I think Republicans got to this place first very obviously, that two and three bags of voters say they'd support a GOP kereded accused of sexual assault.
Speaker 1: So I read this totally differently. This is what happens when you have a party that no longer believes women. I hope that this is a partisan thing. And in fact, remember when Platner was accused of sexual assault or rape when he was when he was accused of rape, Democrats stopped supporting him. So I actually think that this is a partisan thing. I think that Republicans are so bought into Trump and trump Ism that they have decided, and the misogyny writ large of that that they have decided they will support Trump and trump Ism and assault. You know, here two and three mega voters say they'd support GOP candidate accused of sexual assault. I mean, basically, in order to support Trump, they've had to engage in the cognitive dissidents of saying, you know, they just don't believe women anymore. And it's really interesting because if you look at the Max Miller situation. So Max Miller as a congressman who has numerous allegations, had allegations from another girlfriend, now has allegations of violence of all sorts of terrible stuff. The allegations include that he broke the collar bone of their two year old daughter, that he poured scalding water on his wife. Now, his wife is the daughter of Republican Ohio Senator Bernie Marino, and Bernie has said nothing, right, he has said nothing as Max Miller runs for re election. Now, if it were my daughter, I would be shouting from the rooftops.
Speaker 2: Sofe was my daughter, I would I don't think his neck would exist anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, I mean, I hope this is just limited to Republicans. I would like it if it were limited, if nobody were doing it but I think that it's a sort of believe no women scenario.
Speaker 3: I think you're right about that.
Speaker 2: I think that though one of the symptoms of this is is that people want change so bad in their everyday life that they're like basically having cognitive dissonances to try to get it because they're so desperate to have it stop.
Speaker 4: I hope not.
Speaker 1: I mean, I hope that it's just that Trump made Republican voters desensitize to it, and they will now go back to being normal, or head to being more normal or something. Evan McMorris Santoro is a reporter at Notice. Welcome. Welcome Evan.
Speaker 4: I'm Molly, how are you.
Speaker 1: I'm good because you know, I as it polls. I'm good because I'm looking at these disapproval So Donald Trump, he's basically as unpopular as he's ever been. He has hit the Bush line and thirty two percent approval rating. That is when you that is that is the worst it you can be.
Speaker 4: It's a pretty bad I mean, I mean, I mean you've seen I guess like sure, like George W. Bush at the Amazon the twenties, but like it's very, very bad for Trump, and it's especially bad for the Republicans because you know, their entire electoral project in twenty six is really like hinging on Trump. Like this is not a party that has gotten much distance from the president. They have like very specifically not done that. And I remember, you know, a few months ago, I was talking to Republicans strategists about the plan for the summer, you know, like what they were gonna do, and some of them even said they thought that maybe July fourth would be a highlight for them, that they're do this great moment where they could talk about you know, America and being patriots and how unpatriotic the Democrats are and have this great divide. And they had sure had this vision that this Iran war thing which would cand of be behind them and they would get and July would be a time when gas prices will be able to come down, we change the subject from some of this other stuff, and it would be like Trump will be back as a viable party leader for them. And really, the this month has ended with them in absolutely dire straits. I mean, these numbers are very, very bad, and the Republican nominees that are running across the country are still basically boxed in They can't really run away from Trump because that's not going to be make the base that that still really likes Trump happy, And they can't really you know, run towards him because that is incredibly toxic for the general electric So this is basically as good a position for the polls as Democrats could get. Really like, this is the case, This is like what they really really want to see happen has now happened, and there's more to come. I mean, you know, the thing is, the things that made the polls bad, like the Iran war and other things like that, those are still going on. Like we're not like in the there's no end in sight for these negative poll numbers. How they play out, I don't, you know, I'm not totally sure. It's a weird time with polls, with what to believe what not to believe. But when every poll is telling you the president is in a really really bad shape on polls and you're not seeing the president's team put out their own polls, you can assume that it's the numbers are pretty bad.
Speaker 1: So the polling is very connected to gas prices, though, I mean, it's connected to other stuff, but it's really connected a lot of this is on the economy. Certainly people don't like ice killing American citizens. They don't. But but most of this is the ability of the of an American voter to see Donald Trump and see him go into Iran, never make a case for it, and then go to the pump and see gas prices be higher, and then see Donald Trump say We're gonna make peace with Iron, and see gas prices go down, also possibly because they were using the reserve the oil, some reserved oil right to keep the prices low, and then see that the war is back on and that gas prices are up. I mean, like he has very clearly shown that he had some control over making gas prices go down, and now he no longer has that control.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, they try with that deal. You know. This is that thing where Trump is a regular president in a way that I think is kind of surprising given how he came into the second term. I mean, there really is no president for it in my life. Of like the wrecking ball he came in with, if you know, you know, the fear he created among everybody. Maybe he can be president forever. Maybe we have no laws anymore, maybe no courts anymore. Really what's happening now is that this is a guy who promised a bunch of stuff to people and they're looking around and they didn't get it. I mean, the idea of the war in Iran is he said, no new wars. He said, I'm not going to do wars, and now we're doing a war. He said. Prices are going to go down because of these stupid, woke democrats. They can't figure out how to make prices go down. I can do it, can't do it. And I think that when you look at some of these pull numbers that I've seen, it's you know, in the seventies of people saying he doesn't have our priorities, he doesn't have American priorities as his top priorities. This is the kind of stuff that dogged other presidents that sort of head to a bad elections that the public just is sort of looking at them and saying, I no longer buy this stuff from you. I don't believe that you can do the things you said you were going to do, And in works in the case of Trump, they're saying, I don't think that you even were serious about doing those things at this point, like where like we're in a way. It was like it was like the main Trump thing if you were not like total a total culture warrior type, the main thing with Trump is well, look, everybody else is going to do a war. He's not going to do it. And he did it.
Speaker 1: So his disapproval for inflation is seventy percent according to the aggregates from Silver and it is. His approval on inflation is twenty seven point one percent, which is pretty spectacular. And then if you pull on trade, it's not so far away from the inflation numbers and the economy. I mean, they're all about the same, you know, but inflation certainly is worse. Like to have seventy percent of Americans disapprove of how you are on inflation when you ran on lower inflation is kind of amazing.
Speaker 4: Well, and he used to sort of have the power, the power that he was supposed to bring when when the Iran warforce started. You talk to a bunch of people in Congress. We talked a bunch of them Republicans in Congress, and they would say, okay, look, I mean they would honestly say, like yes, we used to say get being higher bad. Now it's good because we're fighting for freedom of Americans and the American safety and we're going to the President's going to make this case for us, and we're going to have this We're going to rally around this guy. That has not happened, right, the big beautiful bill that they all had to pass, which he had to push through. I mean, a lot of them did not want to do it, and it twists a lot of arms push a lot of people through. You that power that he had to make it happen. They were like, Okay, well, that's fine, because at least we're going to have these taxes and stuff, and he's going to go out there with hdreetorical power and he's going to sell this stuff for us, and we're gonna be able to stand there and talk about no taxes on tips or you know, no taxes on overtime or whatever it is. We're going to talk about all this stuff. And none of that has happened either. The President is not out there talking about those issues. I mean, if you think, I think a perfect case of this is that election integrity speech that he made on TV like a few weeks ago when everybody was sort of geared up for this thing. Bernie Moreno, the Senator from Ohio Republican Center from Ohio. We're talking about this is like the most important speech in the Cuba missile crisis.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: They as like this is going to be like this Trump is back, right, And I would talking to people before that speech started who were very nervous about the speech, people who are involved in election integrity who were very scared that this speech was going to be sort of the full Trump two point zero or Trump like doing a thing that would move everything from there on out right, which which he's been able to do. Instead, this speech opened up with this weird rambling defense of all his domestic stuff that I think landed fairly flat with everybody, right, and then the election stuff kind of he said it and it kind of went nowhere. Now this is this is it? I mean, what more do you need to know than he is using and the most powerful thing he has, which is his own voice, and at a joint stretch in of Congress that he was able to create the kind of excitement among his supporters in Congress for this thing, and then he kind of just like nothing happened, because that's sort of where he's at right now. And I think the polls are showing that this is not a guy who can go out there and say I demand this. You guys should believe me, and they do and they used to and they don't right now. So that's exactly what I'm saying that Democrats have are in a good position with that because every step he makes it seems to be the wrong one. I mean, we're still talking about the ballroom. We're still talking about the new air Force one. We're still talking about I mean now Dallas Airport. I mean like, yeah, no, no in DC don't like Dallas Airport. Who cares about that?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: So get Donald Trump, and this is a really good point. Republicans need him to go on and end inflation and make this case. You know that he's going to lower inflation to get the base excited. But instead Donald Trump is laser focused on the reflecting pool in the ballroom. And this and the that the Wall Street Journal reporting today is really good piece in the Journal headed by Josh Daucy and another three reporters talking about how Donald Trump has a fundraiser who basically calls up and says, do you want to meet with the president. Well, if you want to meet with the president, we are going to need some money for the library. It's a pretty shocking piece all in talk to me about this idea that it's like quid pro cool but plus plus plus it is.
Speaker 4: I mean, look, the corruption and stuff, it's funny. Early on in the Trump trumpet.
Speaker 3: We know.
Speaker 4: I also talked to a prominent person involved in you know, trying to you know, campaign finance stuff about corruption and running on corruption, and they specifically said, you know that they've done a bunch of focus groups on this, and you couldn't really touch Trump with corruption. You try to talk about that, voters and focus groups would say, well, yeah, he takes money, but like he's so rich it doesn't matter, Like he does whatever he wants anyway. And it was other Republicans who wouldn't you know that they would get sort of hard with it, like if they were in the room with him. People think that those Republicans were sort of the ones who are taking the money. But we're seeing more and more and more of these stories now and it seems like that kind of stuff is sort of changing. I mean, look, let's take it all the way back to twenty sixteen, right, Donald Trump is the reason why the Republican Party regained any credibility in the American electorate. The Republican Party was absolute trash in the twenty fifteen twenty sixteen time. And Donald Trump is the reason why they are back in power, why they got the power that they got, and that's the reason why they love him, why they rally around him. But it also is sort of, you know, all those eggs are in one basket, and when it stops working, they don't have a backup plan. Like I mean, the Democrats are of course in a very active identity crisis right now. What are they doing, who's in charge? What are they like? What are they not like? But there's a bunch of different people having those conversations. You can see in some of these places, some of these districts, right, you can see, you know, somebody catches fire and builds a constituency, right like a mom Donnie emerges. But maybe also some of these other people are also you know, but loss off too. They're all doing their thing separately because they're kind of don't have a leader. The Republicans, they can't really be in the same room unless Trump tells them that they're supposed to be in there. And when he can no longer kind of after the attention that they need. When these poll numbers are this bad, you can see they're kind of like stumbling around looking to see what to do because they don't really have an idea, right, they don't really have a plan. Yeah, Mike Johnson said the other day, you know, don't worry that God is on our side where the midterms or whatever. This thing that he said that is like not a message, but that is sort of what they have. It really was that Donald Trump was going to save us and it's not really happening.
Speaker 1: Right, So you have these bad polls, but in a normal party, the president would say, well, you need to win, so just run against me. You can have some daylight here. And we saw some reporting and I don't know how accurate this was when Trump went to Michigan, that he was giving other Republicans space to have daylight from him, Right, he went to a district that where it was a little bit less maga and that there was something you you saw the reporting. I don't totally buy it.
Speaker 4: Well, look you can just look at like, I mean, look, the political people that he has around them are doing stuff. You can just see for example, it wasn't that long ago that he tweeted or a post on true Social whatever you want to say, that sus and Collins should not be re elected. She should not be in Congress anymore. She's crossed me on this on the big deal. I don't like her anymore. She needs to go. And now you know this is a guy, you know, he's attacked her opponents said the chiefs stick around. And also you know with this whole you know, you know, when she came calling about Ice, all of a sudden, Ice changed its policies. There is politics going on. But the problem is, like we've never seen Trump sort of able to actually follow through on this. I mean, if you're a publican elected official, right you think all the way back to any of them, right, like Mike Fence, Kevin McCarthy, all the way to like John Cornyan. Right, this is not a recipe for advancements in the Republican parties to put distance between yourself and Trump. Maybe he's maybe, maybe he's laying the groundwork for it, but it's hard to imagine kind of thinking this is a good idea, this is what I'll do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, how would it even work? I mean, Cornyn didn't even mean to put any distance between him. They spent millions and millions of dollars Republican donors trying to keep Cornyn alive in the race, and then Donald Trump was like, I like Packson more. I mean, now that the primary is over, imagine like a Republican senator being like, yeah, I'm not into it anymore. I mean, you need to be able to like be unmaga enough to convince voters that you are your own person, but maga enough to not lose maga.
Speaker 4: It's all. Yes, it's an angry electorate you're dealing with too. I mean you watch I mean you saw Thomas Massey. Thomas Massey, you know my colleague Alex, she went to that race and of a lot of reporting on it. You know that if you watch Thomas Massey's own ads, he was like with Trump all time in the ads. I love Trump. I vote for him all the time. I vote with all this stuff all the time. I'm just the guy. Really, like what I am actually is like a more pure version of what Trump is doing. I'm the real guy. I'm the real thing, is what Thomas Massey is saying. And he got crushed. I mean it was, it was it was naturally meaningless conversation. And this guy had a track record too, right, like the Epstein Files thing. People wanted that done, Maga wanted it like this is this is the issue is that they try the you know Massy you know is his own figure. He's got his own weirdness, I guess. But he really did run a campaign that was like, no, no, I'm not saying that what Trump wants is bad, like I am for a lot of this stuff. I have always backed him on the things I'm saying, here's where he's messed up. Here's where he's gone too far, Here's where he's lost us, here's the mistakes, and he's making kind of like a sort of hey, I don't love all this stuff and including things and people don't like like the Iran War. Increasing like APAs.
Speaker 1: Want the Iran War done no matter what.
Speaker 4: Right, and it had no real impact. Now if you look at something like Maine again, Susan Collins, who has a record of being an independent sort of voice. She has a commercial but we had that in the Notice News. Ever, the other day she has this commercial. It's very like loud and proud, I did not vote for those Medicaid cuts. Now anybody tells you that I did, they are lying. This is an ad. This is not from a super paxted reporting yard. This is an ad from her own campaign. That's how seriously she is taking putting distance between herself and Trump's policy. She's like bagging people really to understand that she did not support this stuff. She has that track record. You know, We'll see what happens there. But the hard thing is is that like you don't you can't really see Trump being like, yeah, you know, and I admired her for that vote, you know whatever, right, which is what she kind of needs maybe for some of these mega people just stick with her. And that's that is real challenge, is that, like it's like this is a Trump is a singular figure and when that turns on you, where are you?
Speaker 1: And I think that's a really good point. And we were just talking about Maine before we started recording, because I have this theory that Troy Jackson and again early days, but it seems like he certainly is Maine. You know, he's fifth generation main, he's a lagger, He's like in some ways, really what Grand Platiner pretended to be right. I mean, I say, this is a NEPO baby myself, grand Platiner, the Platiner furniture. You know, a fancy designer, the grandson of a fancy designer, the son of a banker who had a main country house. It's not quite the same as a fifth generation locker.
Speaker 4: Right from a tiny pound of like two hundred and seventy people or something like that. Like, yeah, look, I mean we talked about that before. Like Democrats have crossed the first hurdle here, which is that they have united around this guy. Yeah, and that was their problem was like how divided were they going to be after this Platiner apocalypse? And they had Lokay, so they're united, but they all he got.
Speaker 1: Like six hundred and seventy nine delegates of seven hundred and ten or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, of this very tight process, but like it seems like everybody should have got on board. And the DS you know, you know, he's met with Schumer now, Bernie likes him. He's got like there's like two guys really that are like these guys. There's a guy in Pennsylvania, Bob Brooks, that fireman. He's the only guy that can have like jos Shapiro and Bernie Sanders on the same stage.
Speaker 1: You know, been on this podcast.
Speaker 4: Continue it's a great this is why, this is why, so it's a good podcast. And then and then you have you know, then I think Troy Jackson is the same, right where like Schumer and Bernie could both sort of stand next to this guy and it would kind of work. So this is all good for them, but they have had a lot. But you know, like the whole question with that is that like Collins is sort of nobody thinks.
Speaker 1: That of her is tes Kaiser, so she can wait. She carry right, and she's guys aer, so she's won a lot of times when people had her down.
Speaker 4: But I will say this, the polls the way they look right now, right Democrats are freaking out and maybe rightly so Michigan next week and they'll be quite interesting. We'll see what happens in Wisconsin too. But these are the polls that really look like any Democrat will do kind of polls like the way they are right now. You know, we have a long way to go yet. Democratic brand is very bad. There's a lot of things to deal with. But when you look at how bad Trump's numbers are and that the numbers are really like he no longer backs our priority, he doesn't believe in us anymore. He doesn't support what we need to be him to be doing anymore. You know, he's not doing the things that we want him to do anymore. That is the angriest people who are going to vote people who don't like him, and that is a really good sign for anybody who's not a Republican.
Speaker 1: And those enthusiasm numbers the Democrats, and you know we're leading by ten fifteen points on enthusiasm, then Republican voters are not enthusiastic. I just want to add one last thing about the Troy Jackson thing, which I think is relevant and important. When we were talking about this before, he has said he will not vote for Schumer, but he will be supported by the Democratic senatorial campaign. And in my mind, that is the difference between Trump and the Democrats going into this election, among other things, is that you have an atmosphere where Democrats can get money from the party but still run as independence or say they're not going to vote for Schumer. And do I think Troy Jackson will vote for Schumer as leader? Absolutely not. Do I think Schumer knows that? Yes? Do I think that they will? He will still get money Jackson demo from Democratic senatorial machine.
Speaker 4: Yes, well we saw she were doing this in Michigan before Malliam mcmarrow dropped out. But he was also like, he's like, I'm okay with it. You know, she ran very strong on not supporting him. Yes, I mean these are guys who there are some political sacrifices being made. I mean, look, the actual race in Michigan itself is Gary Peters was like, I'm too old and don't want to do this. We should let some the next generation come in, and they're having this like very loud debate about what the next generation should be in the Democratic Party. But that sort of allows for some of this energy and enthusiasm to flow in to the election. Yes, this is the whole thing is that people who have said in opportune moments, you know, like for example, January seventh, twenty twenty one, and hey, that was bad, but that what Trump led, that riot at the capitol that almost got people kill bad that we did that, and that is enough to lose his support forever. So this is a very different situation. This is what I'm talking about. Like, it doesn't like even if you get a call from e chuse you wil saying listen, go for it, trash him, We're good with it. Yeah, you got to be thinking to yourself, is he going.
Speaker 5: To be good with it?
Speaker 4: Like what you like? What's going to happen to me if I do this? Which is a very different political environment. He for a long time has caused contranation among Republicans because he doesn't seem that interested in building the party in party politics. And that's all well and good until you hit your midterm election and then all of a sudden you find yourself with a Congress that can now do oversight against you, and your second term is basically over. And I think that, like you know, a lot of presidents sort of wake up to that kind of late, and it seems like this one's waking up to it, you know, very very late.
Speaker 1: Evan, Thank you, You're welcome.
Speaker 4: Good to talk to you.
Speaker 1: Andy Kim is the junior senator from the great state of New Jersey. Welcome, Welcome, Senator Andy Kim.
Speaker 4: Thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 1: You come to running for politics, to healthcare and through your kids healthcare. I had a kid who had a lot of medical problems too, though not as severe as yours, but anaphloctive food allergies. Piece now an adult. So that's great, But I would love you to talk about sort of how your son's medical issues got you to run for office, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, you're absolutely right. I mean, first of all, you know, I'm a son of a polio survivor, so my father had polio since he was a baby. My you know, younger son unfortunately had some health issues even before he was born. There was growth challenges in the womb. We were uncertain what was going to happen going forward, and I had so much anxiety as a dad. My wife was so worried. And meanwhile, at the time, my congressman back this back in twenty seventeen, my congressman was the one leading the charge on gutting pre existing condition protections as part of that effort to unravel the ACA. And so that's what prompted me to run for Congress, is that I was I was just so angry that my own congressman was attacking pre existing condition which my father had, my mother has, my little boy, who, for no fault of his own. You know had issues, and so you know, thankful we were able to get early medical care. We learned how to be able to to support and like I'm happy to say, like he's at like tennis camp right now and all star on his soccer team, Like he is such an energetic and athletic boy.
Speaker 1: But like that's so you never stop worrying, right, I'm sorry to interrupt you, because I have a twenty two year old and I'm still like, did you bring the EPP events?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, you never stop worrying. Also, like you never know when something's gonna happen, and especially with kids. I mean, the things that I learned as I've been going through this journey of the last few years of trying to think about how do we fix healthcare in this country, but particularly for kids, what I really came to understand is that healthcare for kids is different. You know, their bodies are growing, their brains are developing. We can't just think about them as little adults. That's what like a lot of experts say, they're not little adults. They cannot just have some you know, like some like you know, leftover or something derivative part of adult healthcare, right, they're not just like add ons to your employer base, like they need something specific for them, you know. So that's really what I've been undergoing for the last eight years, is like thinking through, Yes, okay, I beat my congressman, and I we stop them from gutting the Affordable Care Act there, but what is you know, what is my idea on how to solve how to fix this? Because we know healthcare wasn't perfect already. You know, we have seen Trump gut Medicaid. You know, they're two up to upwards, so close to one point seventy five the two million kids fewer on Medicaid right now than at the beginning of his administration. So we're moving in the wrong direction. But I really spend years trying to think through, well, how do we actually fix this? How do we try to solve it? Not just how do we get back to where things were before Trump, you know, which wasn't good to start with, but how do we try to fix it? And that's what led me to this idea of introducing last week this you know, seminole bill of mind called Meda Kids, which is guarantee for health care for every child.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about medic kids. It takes a page from Obamacare a little bit, right like the age the setup talk us through how you got here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the idea is that it would guarantee every kid in this country healthcare from birth until twenty six So yes on the twenty sixth side rights where Obamacare allowed people to stay on their parents' coverage and look in part because again we're talking about the period of physical and brain development, right, your physical body brain development, like well into their twenties, and so I think there's good reason for that. But my bill is different though, insofar as it covers everyone, every child. So the idea is that there's automatic enrollment upon birth of every child in this country. So never again will some parents have to worry about filling out some for before they're covered. You know, if you have a kid in the nick you you never you don't have to worry at all about costs or coverage.
Speaker 4: It's automatic enrollment.
Speaker 5: Because so much of the problem that we see that the Trump administration is weaponizing is using you know, bureaucracy, using paperwork, using uh, you know, onerous efforts to have to do employer verification and other things like that. They're using that to cut people off, you know, like why else would they be requiring, you know, kids that have permanent disabilities to have to recertify.
Speaker 1: Now it's not like.
Speaker 5: Those disabilities are going Yeah, so like you know that that's done to weaponize and to make it harder for these families. So yeah, so my mind would do that, and it would provide it would automatically enroll into medic kids, which I try to envision as sort of this bookend to medicare. You know, we have this guaranteed health care later in your life, but in many ways we need it at the front end of your life because that's when it again, you really need to ensure that you are not just getting care when you're sick, but like you're being screened for any type of problems or illnesses or issues that you're able to get early intervention. That you have to prioritize preventative care for kids. And so that's really the vision, and I'm excited because right now, look, we have four point four million kids in this country without health insurance, twenty three million that are underinsured, which means their healthcare coverage doesn't meet their needs. That's insane that over twenty seven million kids are either uninsured or underinsured in the richest, most powerful country in the world. So I'm excited to have this vision that would bring both of those numbers down to zero and that we can actually join just the kind of rights that we should be having for our kids and saying that every single one of you will be insured, regardless of your family's circumstances, the decisions that your parents made, or income or anything like that, because these are you know, that's no fault of their own in terms of the circumstances in which they live, so they shouldn't be punished for them.
Speaker 1: But the other thing is that it would ultimately probably save a lot of money on the hospital side, right, talk us through like pediatric ICUs, pediatric hospitalizations, like there is quite a lot of expense. What happens when people don't have healthcare is they use emergency rooms as you know, treatment centers, and they end up clogging up emergency rooms, using those doctors, using those resources, which ultimately puts more of a strain and is more expensive. Right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's absolutely right, and we've seen it bear out, you know, like for you know, every dollar that we see invested into medicaid for kids, which is the foundation that I'm using to build you know, medicids. You know, we see ultimately our country gaining you know, every dollar we put in, like you know, we're getting four dollars of savings and productivity because again you're focusing on the preventative side. You're screening every kid. Like, the great thing about medicaid is that it is actually designed for kids, you know, more so than your employer based care or others. Like, they have a very rigorous level of screenings based off your age of things to look out for. And it's not just about physical health. It's also dental, it's vision. At a time when over twelve million kids you know don't have regular dental coverage and have vision challenges that are not being fixed. You know, these are things that again traditional healthcare often throws to the side. You know, as you're you know, you have to buy all these things separately. So you know, this is something that's comprehensive and yes, it's something that we know is going to help on the preventative side, you know, so that we're not waiting until there's some type of problem that manifests later on the other thing, Molly is just like like healthy kids means healthier adults, right Like, it's not brain it's not like rocket science, right Like, it's not brain surgery. Like it's gonna be then a healthier workforce and lower overall health care costs for our country. We know the challenges with chronic disease, with all sorts of issues that we know often start when someone is a kid. Then you don't have the treatments or you don't have good health practices early on, and it causes real problems down the road. This would also provide universal mental health coverage, which right now, I mean, like I'm hearing from everybody, from parents, the teachers, to others saying that there's a mental health crisis right now in the country for kids. And I see it as a parent of a nine year old and a ten year old, and whether that's you know, because of just broader anxieties or social media and other thing mobile phones and other things, regardless of that, Like we need to try to treat this, but right now we don't even have school nurses at every single school, right like, we have underinvested you know what comes to these issues, and they manifest sometimes in exceedingly tragic ways, like school shootings or other types of problems. So like again, like this is something that can solve this. I am trying to put forward a simple vision for this under this brand of medic kids that I think people can understand. You know, if ever there was a group of people in this country that we want to guarantee healthcare for, it's our kids. I want it for everybody, and I want to keep pushing to get there. But at least we can start with the strongest possible argument here and be able to support them.
Speaker 1: So voters are mad at Republicans, but they're also mad at Democrats. And part of one of the things you're doing here is you're showing a sort of broad, really I think thoughtful and important piece of legislation. One of the things that gets me upset is the lack of regulation when it comes to data centers. I mean, I know voters are really furious about data centers because that's something we broadly see. But you know, technology, we're talking about kids, we're talking about social media, Like these are things that actually you guys can regulate. What's your take on this moment, you know, like if Democrats win back the House, which I mean I think We're going to go through a lot of stuff before that happens, but you know, there will be hopefully a Democratic House, maybe even a Democratic Senate. What is this sort of plan for after Trump when it comes to regulation and also you know, really nailing down government. Yeah.
Speaker 5: You know, I say this as someone who ran in the twenty eighteen midterms, right, So I ran during the time when Trump is president of Republicans called control Congress and we flipped the House. And what it was it's important then and the same thing remains now, which is that we cannot only be talking about the things that we're opposed to. You know, so I told you I'm opposed to Trump's cutting of Medicaid and given billionaires giant tax cuts, with that money surging up funds for ice. But we have to put forward our own vision and what it is that we're trying to do. In twenty eighteen, we talked about, you know, lower and prescription drug costs, about allowing Medicare to negotiate drug prices, about tangible things that put a vision forward for what we stand for. It wasn't enough for me to just say I oppose their efforts to gut the affordable Care Act. So we need this now. This is why I introduced medicids last week, is because I want those big ideas out there. I want candidates to be talking about medicids. I want them to be talking about a guarantee for health care for every child, because I think that parents and families all across the country understand that, and they also understand the affordability problems of healthcare, and this would help save a lot of money for a lot of families that are wondering how they're going to piece together their family budget. So those are the types of things that the party needs to push on. I absolutely hope we win gabbles, and I think I think we're in a good place to do so. But the last thing we want is to win the House and or the Senate and then the next day be like, okay, well now what do we do? Like we need to know first of all, yes, we need to know on the oversight side, like what investigations are we going to do with the Trump administration? Who are we subpoenaing, What is the agenda that we're going to do to hold their feet to the fire, expose the corruption that we see so blatant in front of our eyes that this administration and the Trump family are perpetrating against the American people. But we also have to think through what's going to be HR one, our first bill, what's going to be two, three, four or five? You know, those need to be things that we're thinking through through now. And that's what I'm feeding this into is that with medic kids, this is not only a bold idea, but it's doable. It's implementable, Like, we can actually do this. This is not some messaging bill. This is something that I just I aspire towards if in a decade or two, Like it's doable. I designed the bill in a way that can be implemented if we were in a take back power and that's what we need more of, you know, we need to be thinking through. Yes, the American people hopefully will will give us the honor of leading in Congress, but then what do we do with that? And that's going to ultimately then build into the fight and the race for the White House. So I'm already you know, I've already raised you know, talk to presidentially like a potential presidential candidates and others, you know about this exact thing, which is we need to have our forward agenda and medic kids and and things about you know, affordability, things about you know, securing you know, our or safety internationally like these are critical that we have moving forward.
Speaker 4: And so that's really where the push is.
Speaker 5: And I hope that people across this country demand those types of ideas, and I hope candidates are going out there and building excitement around this. I've heard some real excitement from people about medicids and other ideas here where people are like, yeah, that's something I can before and that's something I can rally people around.
Speaker 1: When it comes to medicaid party, which is this drug price negotiation thing we saw that Mehmet Oz. Doctor Oz has said that it basically the ending it right. They're not paying out, they're not making it. They're making it more expensive to get drugs. Doctor Oz's answer was, it's paying all this money to drug companies, which is the point. But okay, RFK Junior not into it. This seems like it's going to make drugs a lot more expensive. What's your understanding of what this is going to do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm really worried about that because again, this was you know, with part dy of medicare. We knew that this was something that was was helping address the needs that so many Americans face. Yes, they were improvements that needed to be made, which is why we needed to make sure that we could allow medicaid to negotiate drug prices, something that the Trump administration has has taken their foot off the gas and made it harder. And so they have no right to complain about this when they have been sabotaging every element of this along the way. You know, So this is clearly you know, something where they have you know, sabotage and then lo and behold, say, oh it's not working, so we just got to get rid of the whole thing. That's how they're That's what they're doing with everything we saw with the dismantling of USAI D. We see it with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. They sabotage something and then say it's not working, right, and so like like the fact that they feel so bold to go after medicare, I mean, it just shows you just how extreme they are. And what they're doing is they're banking on the idea that the American people aren't going to be able to focus in on this and understand what's going on and how this is going to raise costs. So we need to make sure that we're focused on this, that we see how the tariffs have been raising costs for healthcare, for prescription drugs, for other things that we need in our lives. You know, this is something where the President has been moving us in that direction of high costs. Meanwhile, he himself is profiting off of the Oval Office to the tune of billions of dollars.
Speaker 4: For him.
Speaker 5: It's family and so that's the contrast that needs to happen. It's like, you know, the Trump family has made billions of dollars since January twentieth, twenty twenty five. How much has your family made in the last year and a half. And I think we can really see who the government right now is working for. It's not us, it's for you know, those handful of people that we're up on stage with Trump during his inauguration, They're the ones that are benefiting from this.
Speaker 1: Andy Kim, how are you going to pay for medicaid for medicaids?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, look, first of all, as we said, you know, this is something that's gonna save us a lot of money in the long run, but you know, in general, when it comes to what comes next for the Democratic platform, Yeah, I mean, look when we see what the Trump administration has rolled back, these tax cuts for the billionaires, that is what they gutted medicaid for you know, So yes, we're going to have to make sure that we're dismantling what the Trump administration did with their reconciliation bill, that big ugly bill and other things like that. So you know, what we need to do right now is put together our platform of what it is that we're for and be able to do the work, to be able to make sure that we are doing this responsibly and coming up with the ideas like you know, going against those tax cuts for the billionaires, uh and making sure they're paying their fair share. You know, those are the types of things that we need to be pushing on and that's how we'll be able to do this.
Speaker 1: So what is those billionaire taxes again? And you think you can pay for him?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean look yeah, I mean like we saw like absolute like loopholes for you know, for the billionaires. We see, you know, how they've done everything that they can to be able to you know, to to create other loopholes, or to slash the corporate tax freate and other types of things that they've been pushing on. Meanwhile, they're trying to you know, create a you know, one point five trillion dollar defense budget, pull money from what we do on the domestic side for our families into this bottomless pit of war with Iran. Like, those are the things that we're going to have to make sure that we are closing up and be able to redirect the funds to where the American people want them, which is to be able to help our families with the costs of daily living. You know, a lot of the Americans I talked to, they're not ad asking for the moon. They're just asking him to be able to have some support, to be able to afford the housing, to afford food, to be able to afford you know, some medical care. You know, they're like, that is not too much to ask for.
Speaker 1: Andy Kim, thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thanks so much.
Speaker 1: No no moment, Jesse Cannon, my drunk fast.
Speaker 2: You know, it's all happening thanks to Tiss James. I think that you and I just sit and baffle our minds about Calshie and Poally market. Well, Tiss James is coming for Calshie.
Speaker 1: You know who's not a Calshi partner us.
Speaker 3: That is, I know we've both got the DM slide, right right.
Speaker 1: We both got DM slides. We are not ever going to be Calshi partners. You know why because I have an eighteen year old son, and I know that they have targeted these kids and they're trying to make them all gambling addicts, and it is so dangerous and like, honestly, you and I are both the same age, and we grew up in a time when gambling was legal only in Las Vegas, New Jersey, parts of New Jersey, Atlantic City.
Speaker 3: I as gonna say, yeah, like a few a few select weird.
Speaker 1: Districts of Native American reservations, and that was it. And it wasn't you know, it was not the way it is now. And like there's a reason for that. It's highly It's like why we don't, you know, serve cocaine in bars because it's very addictive stuff.
Speaker 3: Technically we were growing up there was that bar.
Speaker 1: And anyway, the point is, the point is the reason they don't serve cocaine in bars is the same reason that we should not have Calshie on the internet which is is very addictive and like our government may not regulate anything, but they should regulate cigarettes and yimbling and drugs and also pollution. That's it for this episode of Fast Palms Politics. Tune in every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to hear the best minds and politics make sense of all this chaos. If you enjoy this podcast, please send it to a friend and keep the conversation going. Thanks for listening.