Speaker 1: Now here's a highlight from Coast to Coast AM on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: And welcome back, George Norriiy back with you. Let me tell you a little bit about our guest. Jim Myers grew up in Kenya from the age of eleven until he graduated from high school, and after graduating from college, Jim spent another twenty years as an adult living in West Africa and France. Now he returned to the United States back in two thousand and nine and was able to begin pursuing his interest in Sasquatch. For the past eleven years, he's been an avid Sasquatch researcher and public speaker of all things related to the Sasquatch Force people. He and his wife Daphne built the Sasquatch Post with the goal of becoming Sasquatch Central for the Western US, and they did. The Outpost is the home of the Sasquatch Encounter Discovery Museum, and Jim is also the host of a weekly podcast called The Sasquatch Outpost Podcast, where he and his co host Sibylla Irwin for the mysteries of the Sasquatch phenomenon. Jim, Welcome back have you been.
Speaker 3: I've been well, George, thank.
Speaker 2: You looking forward to this. What got you into Kenya?
Speaker 3: My parents were missionaries. Actually I just tagged along.
Speaker 2: And what made you this quest to go hunting for Bigfoot?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I've been interested ever since I was a child, and two things taught my interest. One was when the Patterson Gimlin footage first came out in sixty seven. I was very young, but I still remember seeing that on television. And then in seventy two, the film The Legend of Boggy Creek came out and it was rated gee, but it scared me to death when I went to see it. But that film sparked my interest even more in the mysteries of what could exist in the forest. They never called the creature Bigfoot or sasquatch. They called it the fouc Monster because it was in Foulk, Arkansas. But I credit that movie with my earliest interest in this topic.
Speaker 2: Do you call this creature sasquatch or Bigfoot?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, the terms are interchangeable, but my preferred term is sasquatch. I think Bigfoot is a term that was given to the creature by a journalist in nineteen fifty eight. Sasquatch is one of many Native American names, and they've been around dealing with sasquatch for a lot longer than we have.
Speaker 2: Do you think it's an entity of physical or is it something more dimensional?
Speaker 3: I think it's both. George and I think it's physical when it once needs to be physical, and I think it can be interdimensional or invisible when it wants or needs.
Speaker 1: To be that.
Speaker 2: We'll get into that a lot tonight. James tell us about the story behind the Sasquatch outpulls well.
Speaker 3: When we've moved to Colorado in two thousand and nine, I worked had a company called Storm Guides. I was doing a lot of crisis management at the time, but we found this little grocery store in the town of Bailey and decided we would try our hand at doing grocery store retail. So in twenty twelve we began rebuilding the store. It had been closed up. The building that we now own had been closed up I think for four or five years, and that's a lot of hard winters in Colorado and needed a huge amount of work. It took us about nine months to get it open. But during those nine months, two interesting things happened. The first was I met my first eyewitness, who was a woman who managed a local lodge, so she was a businesswoman, very credible, and she and her best friend had seen a bigfoot maybe a month before when she told me this story, and I thought her story was incredible, and because of who she was, I knew that she wasn't lying to me. And then maybe a month later, the Animal Planet show Finding Bigfoot came to Bailey to do a Colorado episode and I went to that filming and about one hundred people were at this meeting. And who ever saw any advertising for this meeting. Because I was from Bailey, I knew about it, but people came from all over and there were probably eight or nine people that stood up to talk about an encounter they'd had with Sasquatch. And I told my wife, I think there's something to this, and I think we can maybe see how much interest people have if we haven't it, if we build that into our store, which we did, and after about a year or two, we got rid of the groceries because that's not what people wanted. They wanted to talk about Bigfoot.
Speaker 2: The paranormal activity over the outposts, over the years. Did it scare you?
Speaker 3: Early on, it did a little bit because we didn't know what we were dealing with. But we would come in in the morning and find merchandise on the floor that could not have fallen there in the store. There was no wind or anything like that, so we knew that something was knocking merchandise on the floor. But we realized fairly quickly that whatever this was, it wasn't malevolent, it wasn't attempting to hurt us in any way, and we began to see kind of the fun in it. And over the years, we've continually seen and heard things in the store that let us know that there's entities still there, and we just kind of take it as part of working and living in a building that was built in eighteen seventy eight.
Speaker 2: Do you think it's the building or the topic the subject matter that might make it normal?
Speaker 3: Well, people have asked me this question made science. Do you think Bigfoot knows about I'm pretty sure they do, and whether they are involved. I mean, the the activity was going on before we were heavily involved in squash research, so that's a great question. I don't know the answer, but I certainly think they know about what we're doing, and one of these days maybe we'll start finding evidence that they're around the store, which wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.
Speaker 2: Now, how close is Bailey to like Denver.
Speaker 3: Old about forty five minutes drive.
Speaker 2: That's not bad. No, do you actually get some people from Denver visiting the museum.
Speaker 3: We get many people from Denver, and we get many tourists from around the country and around the world now, so, but yes, we have a big customer base in Denver.
Speaker 2: How did you go about building the museum.
Speaker 3: Joe, Well, that's an interesting question because initially we were just a retail store and we were having fun finding every kind of bigfoot finding or making every kind of bigfoot souvenir or swag that we could think of, and people would come in and would talk to us about their stories of their own encounters, and they would always have questions. And after a couple of years, I thought, you know, people ask generally the same questions, maybe fifteen or twenty questions that people would ask over and over, and I thought, why don't we build a space that maybe can try and answer some of those questions. So we built an initial part of the museum in a storage space that we had, and then we extended it two years later and extended it again three years later. So we've run out of storage space. We've used all the space that's available in our building. We've because of the interest in the topic, we kept expanding and adding more displays.
Speaker 2: What's the population of Bailey.
Speaker 3: About ten or eleven thousand.
Speaker 2: And I bet everyone knows about the museum, don't they?
Speaker 3: You would think so. The reason many don't is that Bailey is divided between what we call High Bay and Low Bay, and there's about a three and a half mile hill that separates the two sections, and so people, most of the people live in the higher part of Bailey, and then they would turn to go towards Denver rather than turning to come towards Bailey downtown Bailey. So I'm sure there's people who aren't where, But I don't think I've spoken to anyone who lives in Bailey and quite a while who didn't know about the outpost.
Speaker 2: Now, you're a museum curator, but you've got your own encounters too, haven't you.
Speaker 3: I've had many encounters over the past twelve or thirteen years.
Speaker 2: Now, any dangerous.
Speaker 3: That's one of the questions I get asked a lot. Are they dangerous? I think they certainly can be if they were provoked, But no, I've never had any experience that I would have called overtly aggressive. I've had a few rocks thrown in my direction. One rock thrown is very hard, but it hit a tree behind us. Had it hit us, I think that would be the end. But it didn't. And when people mentioned to me that, they'll tell me a story about, you know, sasquatch aggression or they were attacked by sasquatch that involved them throwing something towards the people. The interesting part is they never hit the people. The object, whether it's a rock or piece of wood, always misses them, sometimes narrowly, but it always misses.
Speaker 2: It's like they're just trying to get your attention.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and their aim is impeccable, so they hit whatever they're aiming at, And if it were us, that would be it because they can throw extremely hard, but their aim is uncanny. I mean, I've seen them hit things that I, you know, a million years I could never have had the same skill of hitting what I was looking to hit.
Speaker 2: Are you totally convinced that there is some kind of creature called sasquatch out there.
Speaker 3: I could not be more convinced.
Speaker 2: No doubts, no doubts zero. And again we go back to that question of physical or dimensional, and you think both tell me about that.
Speaker 3: Well, they they're clearly physical, because that's how they're seen, and that's how they're smelled, that's how we find tracks in the ground, that's how.
Speaker 2: We physically hear them, something.
Speaker 3: Stolizations and things. So there's there's abundant evidence that they're a physical creature, but there's also abundant evidence if you're looking for it for something else. And I have seen them disappear. My only real daytime sighting, I was fishing in a recreation area not far from Bailey called Wellington Lake, and it was early in the morning. No one else was awake in the campsite, and as I was fishing, I was looking around as I usually do, and I looked up above me and I saw this enormous creature standing there looking down. It was maybe one hundred and fifty yards above me, but I could definitely see it. And at that critical moment, a fish grabbed my fly and I made the mistake of turning to look at the water and then realized my mistake and looked back immediately, and it was gone, and it wasn't moving away, it simply vanished. But I have quite a few friends who I've worked with over the years doing research who have actually watched them disappear in front of their eyes. And so these people have no reason to lie. And if you're going to lie, why make up something that's more believable than a sasquatch disappearing. And so I know that that is a reality. And where they go I couldn't tell you whether they simply disappear but they're still there and they're cloaked in some way, or they actually go somewhere else. I can't answer that question.
Speaker 2: Around the US, Jim, where are they primarily located?
Speaker 3: Well, they've been seen in every state in the US, and people are surprised by that because they assume they're only in the Pacific Northwest. But they're not the site. There's just as many sightings on the eastern seaboard. In the Deep South. Colorado has a huge number of sightings, and so I think there's certain a group of bigger, bigger con concentrations of sightings in certain areas, but every single state has had sightings to date.
Speaker 2: When some people have thought that the Sasquatch was a gigainst as piscic as a monkey.
Speaker 3: True and many still think that. But to me, to believe that Sasquatch is an ape or some type of descendant of a of a extinct grade ape is ridiculous because of these other abilities. They have, these other paranormal abilities, and because they demonstrate in their behavior, in their appearance, they demonstrate that they are more people like us, more human than they would ever be like an ape. And I think there's some DNA evidence that supports that.
Speaker 2: Not that i'd want one to capture or hurt, but we don't have them. I'll come, well, we.
Speaker 3: Don't have them that we know about. I think there's there's a lot of things that the general public don't know, and this could be one of them. I'm confident that our government and probably other governments in the world are certainly aware of sasquatch. There's plenty of evidence that they frequent various military bases in this country, and so there's no doubt that we've studied them at length and perhaps probably have captured one or more or found bodies, but that's not public knowledge. And I think I've often spoken to others who are this and we've set together, well, if we ever find a body, let's give each other a call and do all the research we can before it becomes public knowledge that we have this body. But I honestly don't think that's going to happen.
Speaker 2: You look back at the Star Wars movie, Chewbacca looked like a big Foot. Could they be extraterrestrial?
Speaker 3: Well, that's a great question too. I think they certainly could be. The interesting thing, George, is that there's no fossil record of sasquatch. Now, if you exclude jike Antipithecus, which I think we need to, there's no fossil record that they have been on Earth for a long time. I think they've been here a long time, but not that long, not long enough to have an extensive fossil record like we have for humanity. So they must have come from somewhere, and it must be in the relatively recent past. And maybe they were the top of genetic experiments combining humans with something else. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Do you ever have people Jim come to your museum going I don't believe this stuff.
Speaker 3: All the time, all the time.
Speaker 2: Why do they come? Why do they show up?
Speaker 3: They usually come because they're coming with someone else in their family. It seems like most families have at least one person who believes that Bigfoot is real and wants to come to the museum, and everyone else just kind of tags it on because they have nothing better to do, so they'll come in because of that one friend or family member who's a believer. And I've learned over the years, George, that if someone is very skeptical, there's not really any point in getting into a lengthy conversation because their minds are made up and they believe that Bigfoot doesn't exist because they can't exist exist. And so when people do come in who are somewhat skeptical that are open, I love having conversations with those people.
Speaker 1: Listen to more Coast to Coast AM every weeknight at one am Eastern and go to Coast to coastam dot com for more