Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Laura Vanderkamp. I'm a mother of five, an author, journalist, and speaker.
Speaker 3: And I'm Sarah Hart Hunger, a mother of three, practicing physician, writer, and course creator. We are two working parents who love our careers and our families.
Speaker 2: Welcome to best of both worlds.
Speaker 1: Here we talk about how real.
Speaker 2: Women manage work, family, and time for fun, from figuring out childcare to mapping out long.
Speaker 1: Term career goals.
Speaker 2: We want you to get the most out of life. Welcome to best of both worlds, This says Laura. This episode is airing in early August of twenty twenty six. Sarah is going to be interviewing doctor Jennifer Reid, who is an academic and expert on guilt. Why don't you tell us a little bit about her, Sarah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's actually a psychiatrist, and so she comes from that mental health background and these patients actively and guilt was one of the common themes that she noticed. So she decided to explore it further and write about it, and so we talk all about that in this episode. I was curious, Laura, because I feel like you might have a rant around mom guilt, and also that you might be so much impervious to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean it's more that why nobody talks about dad guilt, because I feel like there should be way more dad guilt if we're gonna have mom guilt, because mom guilt tends to be pitched as this idea that you are not doing enough for your kids, you are not spending enough time with your kids, and on average, dads are spending way less time with their children than mothers are. And as part of that, dads tend to be doing less sort of organizational things, less planning stuff out for the kids, all those things than moms do different in different families, but if you look at sort of population wide time use, that tends to be the case. So from that perspective, it feels like there should just be a ton of literature talking about how dads can feel less guilty about this minimal time that they are spending with their children because they're off doing other things, and how you should feel about that and ways to combat that or whatever, and yet there's none. There's like almost zero out there about dad guilt. And I'm like, okay, well that's interesting. So if there isn't, if this is not like the cover of every magazine pitched to men who have children. Why is it given to women as like a thing we should even be thinking about. I am sure that there are circumstances where people should feel guilty about things. I mean, every mother is not perfect, right, and we certainly do things that are not awesome. I would say in general, guilt has a sort of social purpose. Guilt is what you feel when you have wronged someone and you feel bad about it, and so you want to repair the relationship. And as such, it's kind of good, right in that if you have caused a rift with a close family or friend, like for the good of the tribe, you need to repair that, and so you feel bad until you repair it. But in most of these cases, like nobody has been harmed, like nothing happened. If your neighbor was at the basketball game for the kid and took them home and you were not, like there was no harm, Like nothing bad happened, right, And so that's not an appropriate use of the guilt social emotion.
Speaker 3: Well, Jennifer reagrees with you wholeheartedly, and so all right, good her entire book. I mean, it could be entitled why mom guilt shouldn't be a thing, so I think you will, especially.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm sure there's circumstances where it could be like if you accidentally deleted your kids like minecraft thing that they spend hours creating, Yes, you should feel guilty and you should try to like make amends with them or whatever. It's just that's not usually what it is, right, That's not like, oh my god, I broke your lego set that you spent hours creating, Like, yes, then you should feel guilty and like try to apologize and make it up to the kid. It's stuff about like you were working and earning money so your kid could do fun things like how dare you?
Speaker 3: And unfortunately, we have this weird social construct where many of us, myself included, feel those things even though you're absolutely one hundred percent right. Like I was like, when do I feel mom guilt? So I actually think I feel less mom guilt than average, maybe partly because of this wonderful podcast and our listeners and the time I spend with you. But when there's like a school party and they're like, who wants to bring stuff? And I'm like, oh my god, it's in two days and I don't want to bring stuff, and why don't you just ask for money? It would be so much easier. And then I'm like, I'm not doing it, but I feel really guilty about it. I feel guilt. And then I will feel guilt, like the kids are on screens and I know it's like, oh, they're acting like jerks because I let them be on screens, and like, oh, better parent would have taken them on it outing or something like that. Those are my sad examples of feeling some mom guilt that I would like to not feel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say in general, I don't fill out. I mean, there are a few specific circumstances where I have, like quite obviously screwed up in a way that was problematic for a child in that I would feel guilty about. And one that I'm remembering was when one of my kids was wrestling and I had to fill out the forms because it was a tournament that wasn't officially sponsored by the script, and I had no idea how wrestling weights work. I mean, this is stupid for little kids anyway. So in my mind, he's fifty pounds, I put fifty pounds. And then I learned later that everyone who's fifty pounds puts forty nine, right, so that you wrestle in.
Speaker 3: The not in the fifties.
Speaker 2: And so that was he was with bigger kids, and then he lost his matches, and that was my fault because I didn't know, Like I'm not a wrestler, but you know, I.
Speaker 3: Don't think you could.
Speaker 2: Probably there you go.
Speaker 3: But you can't feel guilt for something you didn't know about.
Speaker 2: Well, I yeah, I guess maybe if i'd thought about it longer, read more about resuing.
Speaker 3: My kids were on screens and I knew I wasn't giving the school the thing because I was like, I categorically refuse to bring some random, like decorative gift with a two days of notice, like I'm not doing it, I'm gonna be guilty about it.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, well there you go.
Speaker 2: So things that you can feel guilty about that are slightly ridiculous. I don't think my kid has thought about their wrestling thing at ages.
Speaker 3: They're okay, but they're okay.
Speaker 2: They've moved on, as have mostly I. But if I ever have another child wrestle, I will keep that in mind. All right, Well, let's hear what doctor Jennifer Reid has to say.
Speaker 3: Well, I am so excited today to be chatting with doctor Jennifer Reid, who is a psychiatrist. She is an academic who has published multiple books. Her latest on guilt called Guilt Free, which is already out wherever books are sold. She's affiliated with the University of Pennsylvania and she has done a lot of thinking about guilt. Welcome to the podcast, Jennifer.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for having me. I'm excited to talk about it. All right.
Speaker 3: So I did read your book. I thought it was excellent. A lot of practical tips and takeaways in there. And you go in the beginning and you're very clear because you want to define what is guilt, because we throw that term a lot around, maybe loosely, but I guess give our listeners a chance to understand what is guilt versus maybe some of his cousins, shame, regret, things like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is really important to define it. Because what's surprised me since the book came out in January is so many women will come up and say, I didn't think I had guilt. It wasn't how I was thinking about this. But when I really learned about the concepts or the ideas or some of the thoughts that women were having in your book, I realized how much guilt I was feeling. So it's like, well, that's really interesting that we don't always know what those emotions are, right, What is guilt? So the way I defined it was just to try and make it as simple as possible. That was important for me, it's important for teaching, I think, to break it down that it really is the difference between our xbectations of ourselves in a particular role minus our perceived reality, which is minus what we believe we're already doing and doing well. Perhaps, And you can see that when perceived means it may not be accurate, right, it may not be what's actually the reality. But I think sometimes often we underplay or underestimate contributions. So guilt lives in that gap between what we think we should be doing and what we believe we are doing. And so I think that just is a way to kind of break down those thoughts. And it's different than shame because guilt is more of I've done something wrong right, or I've omitted something I wish I would have done, where is shame is broad or it's more generalized a sense of I am wrong, like my whole being, my whole entity is bad or wrong, and they create different reactions from us. Guilt, when it's adaptive in a very specific setting, causes us to move toward that person to repair, to apologize, make up for it right. Shame, on the other hand, and causes us to pull back like hide. We want to sort of tuck away and not let that other person or those people see us, because Shane really evokes that withdrawal reflex, so you can see how it causes us to move in different directions in a sense, but constant guilt, which so many women experience, can turn into shame.
Speaker 3: Oh, very interesting. It's funny when you said the expectations versus reality phrase. I always think about how they talk about how suffering can be expectations versus reality. But I think the difference there is that guilt has to do with the shoulds that should be that I should be doing this versus what I think I am doing, or is the suffering. It's more like what I think is happening versus should be happening, maybe but less personable, but kind of interesting there. I also have a question which is like a spinoff from this, which is like does guilt have to involve another person. Can there be guilt in a vacuum or no?
Speaker 1: Well, it's interesting it is described as a social emotion that maybe it came on sort of after our very primary emotions like happiness, sadness, fear. So often it is I mean, there's a type of guilt called in our personal guilt. But no, it doesn't have to be. It can be kind of you within yourself, right that you feel guilty, that you sort of let yourself down in some way, like you've made a goal for yourself or a plan for yourself. And then if you're like me, you like rebel against it, You're like, I'm not gonna listen to that goal, right, I'm gonna do what I want to do. So certainly guilt can happen within ourselves and not in relation to someone else. But so commonly it is in those dynamics with others.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you did mention briefly how guilt might have some positive features can we focus on We're going to go into a lot of the negative and why we should all probably have less guilt in our lives. But I guess what can guilt do for us? Or how can it be harnessed in a positive way.
Speaker 1: Do you think, Yeah, that's so interesting on studying it is that there's some idea that guilt is part of those social emotions that actually allowed us as a species to really thrive and grow and build communities, because it does say, I fie that I see that something has happened to you, and that i've I noticed that I'm to blame for it, and because I care about you, I'm going to try and do something right. Guilt because we care, We wouldn't feel guilty if we don't care. So that's why it's important that some guilt exists. The total absence of guilt is pathological. But what I write about with Guilt Free is how do we relinquish this kind of constant guilt that's so broad, that's so generalized. It's not oh, I've made this one mistake I need to apologize. It's I'm getting everything wrong right, or I'm not doing anything right, to sort of hyperbole in language. You hear a lot where there shoulds come out or I never, I always. That tells us that this is the kind of maladaptive guilt that's really causing a lot of suffering.
Speaker 3: That makes sense. And there's kind of like a pain analogy there too, right, Like pain is useful up to a point, it might tell us get your hand off the stove, but chronic generalized pain has definitely passed the point where it's doing anything good for anyone. I also just wanted to circle back and mention that it is pathologic to never feel guilt, and that makes sense, I guess, like a narcissist or a sociopathic personality. I don't even know if those are appropriate terms anymore, but they might not have any guilt.
Speaker 1: Is that accurate? Because we know that children as young as three, maybe even younger, we're always learning new things, start to learn that they are a separate entity from someone around them, right like your kids starts to recognize that they are not the only being in the universe. It takes a while and it's hard fought, but they also start to learn empathy, or the ability to understand and sort of feel what someone else is feeling. And so the absence of guilt may mean that someone really is lacking in the ability to empathize, to sort of feel what someone else is feeling, and that itself is pathological. That can be a sociopathy that someone is unable to feel what another person is feeling, and therefore harm that they give to them it doesn't affect them because they just don't resonate in that way. So that would be kind of that abnormality. But I think you find people who aren't sociopaths who maybe don't feel as much guilt as others. Even men and women are very different in that way. I've certainly seen in my practice.
Speaker 3: Ooh, and I definitely want to get into that, but first let's just like kind of go as we just went down kind of the positive side a little bit, But on the negative side, you talked about it being maladaptive, especially when it is more generalized, when it is more chronic. Is that more about the fact that it just is going to make us feel behind because I assume that living with a constant sense that you are doing guilty things can lead to shame or just lead to general negative feelings or you also kind of mentioned and hint at this in your work, it can actually drive some pretty poor decisions.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, when guilt isn't making the decisions, it's not based on what we need, what we want, what we desire. It really is based on what we believe we should do, and I think that can lead to things like resentment or disappointing ourselves, certainly in those situations. So yes, guilt makes us feel badly by design, because then it drives us to do something about it, right, because it's uncomfortable. The trouble is, I think, particularly women working moms, especially though many many other women in other areas, when they feel guilty, it drives them to do more, and so they take on more, and they do more tasks, and they become sort of hypercompetent in taking care of everything, managing everything in front of them, all the cognitive load of appointments and I need to schedule this, and I need to remember this. And I think guilt can drive us to take on more and more until we're just exhausted. We're still feeling guilty, so we still feel like we're not doing enough, and it pushes out other things that we might want to feel joy, fun, silliness, relaxation, connection, all those things, because guilt tells us you're an inward girl, and fix it, make it better, do something more as opposed to look outward, connect with others, or I'll see that the problem might actually be out there, not necessarily one that we can fix by ourselves.
Speaker 3: And I know people are listening to this and kind of already thinking about their own scenarios and how this might apply. We're going to take a quick break, and then we're going to get back specifically into the concept of mom guilt. All right, we are back, and Laura and I couldn't help but discuss as we kind of thought about this topic, the fact that mom guilt is like a very common catchphrase, like you hear it, Oh, I've have mom guilt. And I even kind of thought about for myself, what are the instances in life that like, give me quote mom guilt, and like, for example, one of them was when the school asks last minute for some kind of food item to be picked up at the store, and I'm just like, oh my god, like why couldn't this have come earlier? And I don't want to do it, And honestly, what I typically do is I don't do it, but I feel guilty about it. So I guess that's in a way that's good, right, because I'm not using it to make a decision that really doesn't serve me. But then I also still end up feeling bad or things like I don't know, back in my like pumping and breastfeeding days, I'd feel weird amounts of guilt around, like I can't make enough milk, which is crazy because like that's literally your physiology. So how can you feel guilt about something that you don't even have very much control over, like you're already trying very hard. So we started talking about mom guilt and how these things are so common, and then she was like, well, why is dad guilt never really brought up in the zeitgeist? And I don't know, tell me all you know about mom guilt, why it exists. We'll talk about how we can fight it in a little bit, But why is this just so common, so ubiquitous even in women who have reasonably high self regard self esteem, They like, I know, I'm doing a pretty good job at life, but I definitely still get plagued with mom guilt.
Speaker 1: Mom guild is so huge, just that some book, really and I remember my editor kept saying, like, there's a lot of good mom guild here, let's broaden this. I'm like, yes, I know, it's absolutely huge, and I think there are many factors. I mean, one is the way that the young girls, and then throughout our lives that we're socialized to believe that this is what a good girl or a good woman does. Right, This idea about sort of the maternal instinct and how that can kind of be twisted and turned against us, as if that means we should be able to do all of this effortlessly. We should be able to breastfeed and produce just bottles and bottles of milk. I had the same issue I was. I think I was a stressed out resident. I really wasn't producing much milk, and I was thinking I should be able to gain this somehow, Like what can I do to make this better? Because I'm getting it wrong? So I think we are there's a sense of what is natural, and that if we don't feel like we're living up to what is natural, and that's really bad. Right, Like I should just be able to do all of this. I should love my child unconditionally from the very moment it comes out. We know that can take some time for women to connect with their new infant. I shouldn't feel depressed or anxious after babies, well most of us do, right, Just those are small examples. So I think the expectations that women to face to be constant caretakers. It's one of the sort of four big categories I write about, because we're really expected from a very young age. We're the babysitters, We're the caretakers. We're the one who look after others as if that's our natural desire, and for some they really enjoy that, and that really is who they are. My mom is just this nurturing woman. She still like volunteers at an animal shelter and she brings too to friends. That's just who she is. But not all of us are that way. And that doesn't mean that we're not wonderful people or a good mother, right, that we have different things that are important to us and that we want to value. So expectations are absolutely huge, and we exist in a society where the mother is the one who receives that email typically saying hey, last minute, can you drop off some food or we really need a chaperone or someone sick. My sister is a surgeon, and she is still the one that gets all the phone calls that kids need to be picked up, where there's she's the one scrambling to bake something for bake sales. I mean, to her credit, she comes up with these creative ideas which I'm like, why are you doing this? And it's guilt. It's like, well, I've gone a lot for work, so I need to do this to make up for it. And that's just the sense that we can truly have at all without effort, without help, when we used to raise our kids in communities and now we're trying to do this in isolation all ourselves. Like I could go on and on about this, but there's just so many different factors at play.
Speaker 3: Well that's a great, I mean segue, though, because I do feel like just thinking about this, I don't think mom guilt existed as much. Well, it probably existed in different forms in the generation before us, Like I'm sure that to some extent, any mom who worked outside the home felt more like an outlier. I might have felt some guilt for that, even if it was needed to keep the power on in the family, which is interesting. But then I think today I have a friend who is a single parent, and they were talking about how like, oh, I don't get any time for myself, and I feel so bad. I feel guilty if I put my child on a tablet for a few hours, and I'm like, why your child is like borderline genius, Like they will be fine. There's no like objective reason why you can't just disappear for a little bit of time. But we have this I guess societal picture that not only are we supposed to be leading a series of time blocked craft projects every weekend day, but we're.
Speaker 1: Supposed to like it.
Speaker 3: I guess guilt is actually really what drives a lot of that behavior. And I didn't really think about it that way until your stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I think that guilt is a way for us to have a sense right. It tells us, Okay, I just need to be better or do more. I shouldn't give the tablet, I should make some plan for my child that's educational. But I think what it does is it steps in when we do feel a lack of control. And I think in modern society there's this constant feeling of uncertainty and lacking control that we can't control truly the health and wellness and happiness of our children. We can try our absolute best, but I think guilt comes up because each of these they seem so fraught. If my kid has a tablet. Maybe that means that they will not be optimally et cetera, etc. So it's our way of controlling a situation where we don't really have control, and so guilt becomes the way to do that. And it would be fine if guilt didn't feel so awful and didn't drive us to make decisions that are bad for us and cause us to neglect ourselves. But it does, but it does.
Speaker 3: Can you talk more about these four furies that you talk about in your book? And I think we mentioned caretaking, but there's a few others, the perfectionism, the hyper accountability, and trying to have it all. Can you talk about all of those?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was important for me to give these categories because I wanted women, ideally, when they're talking to each other, to be able to point out how they all are having these kinds of experiences, that this isn't just something we're coming up with ourselves. This is the water we're swimming in as women. So expectation areas. The furies are constant care taking, and not just as a mom, but as a daughter, as a friend, as a colleague, even right at work, we might be at tasked with doing this hyper accountability is this idea we are taught that we should and we can control other people's emotions, that somehow, if I say the right thing, they won't be upset, or they won't be disappointed, or if I can make this party the absolute best, they will feel loved and feel happy on their birthday, when some of us just always feel sat on our birthday.
Speaker 3: Who knows.
Speaker 1: So I think that hyper accountability is something that women are really socialized to experience that I don't think men carry in the same way. And part of that might be adaptive in that it protects us right there might be situations where if we anger someone, there could be really dangerous situations. It's adaptive in some ways, but boy, it's brunned far beyond that. So that hype we're accountability seeking perfection of course with body image, of course, with motherhood and parenting, but across everything, all these aspects of sort of self control that we're supposed to have. What are our moods, How do we handle having our periods and how that makes us feel? Expressing our moods, our appetites for food or alcohol or sex or shopping or whatever it might be. We're supposed to demonstrate sort of perfect self control and kind of have it all balanced right, that we can have a wonderful career but still be able to maintain our emotional stability and come home and be fun and engaging for our partner. And then the final one is just having it all, which is killing us. This idea that we, yes, we can do many different things, and women are capable, and women have more opportunities now than we have ever had, but with that has not come a change in our expectations of ourselves or others of us. Like my mom stayed at home with us, my dad was a physician. But I carry both of those sets of expectations. I think I'm supposed to do both of those things right unless I really work on it. I'm supposed to be a doctor to everyone and a mother who's always available and makes so many dinners. I can't. I can't do that right. We're not super human. So those are the four areas that I really hear women struggling with, and I know I personally have every single one of those that I feel regularly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and listeners of this podcast know that we love to come back the myth of doing it all ourselves or having it all like. We love talking about work and life and enjoying both. And I've talked many times about how I've continued to have full time. I'm a physician as well. I do the podcasting two days a week, but I practice three days a week, and I don't really cook or do much laundry because we have to make choices. And actually that's an area where I don't have any guilt, which is good. But maybe some people even would have guilt there. I don't know. It probably depends on how you grew up and what you rationalize. But it's so interesting. We're going to take another quick break, and then I'm going to get some tips on since we've now talked about how tough this is, how can we fight some of it? We'll be right back. All right, we're back, And I think everyone listening now knows exactly what doctor Reid means when she's talking about guilt, and probably many of you, like me, have thought of your own places in your life where you would love to have less of it. So your book has a lot of practical tips for working on this. Can you share a few of those with our listeners?
Speaker 1: Well, there's a whole process I call it speak, which is about learning how to pay attention to your own thoughts, feelings. As you said, like you don't feel guilty about the laundry the cooking piece. That's not a trigger for you, and that's great. It might be for someone else, And that's why it's so important for us to know our own unique triggers to pay attention to when guilt is coming up. What are the environments where it's are common, and then what are specific areas. For example, some of the areas that I really talk about in the tips in a book are how to manage disappointment and allow disappointment in other people, and even that there might be certain roles in your life where it is really really hard to imagine causing disappointment. I mean, we as physicians are very much socialized to never do that right because it could really be career affecting and affect patient satisfaction scores and your practice numbers. So it's learning how to allow disappointment, which you and I both know is a very human emotion, a common emotion, and one that we can all handle. It's not deadly, it's not dangerous in great majority of situations. But when we frantically try to prevent it or fix it right away. We're signaling to those other people, often our kids, that is dangerous. I don't want you to feel disappointed, like I'm sorry you can't go to our friend's house, so let's go get ice cream, Like let's immediately try and fix that. So allowing disappointment is a really important one. Learning how to set reasonable boundaries. You hear a lot about boundaries, and I do like to frame them as sort of helpful, supportive scaffolding to help bring you closer to other people. I don't see them as a wall between I see them as sort of these are kind of the rules of engagement, so to speak, in how we can connect. And I know you're not going to ask much more of me than I can give and then make me feel awful. Really learning those boundaries and being consistent about them, which is hard. It might be hard in particular situations. I'm really boundaried at work, and then I get home, my parents call me and I'm immediately running over to help them with something because I don't want to disappoint them, because that means I'm a terrible and ungrateful daughter. Right These stories that we tell ourselves. So that's an important one, and learning how to delegate. It's funny because I think the Gruth Bader Ginsburg talked about in a marriage, and it's helpful to be a little bit deaf sometimes to not hear the tone of your partner like their response. And I think about that a lot as a wife and as a mother. If I'm like, could you help me? Could you unstack the dishwasher, and you get the like, oh my gosh, okay, great, I hear the word, I don't hear the tone right, So that the idea of learning how to delegate is really important too. I just know that people get to have feelings about that, whether it's disappointment, frustration. I don't have to fix it for them.
Speaker 3: Ooh, I love that, and that could be appropriate in multiple spheres of life, I can imagine.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: I wanted to also make a note to ask you a little bit about seeking out mental health because I read that's also something you're incredibly passionate about. And I know that the times that I have reached out to get professional assistance with mental health issues, I have never regretted it, And every single time I'm like, why did I not do that sooner, And the reason is because it's hard, and there's a lot of stigma, and there's a lot of Oh, I should be able to deal with this myself. So what tips do you have for listeners that are maybe this conversation triggered something like maybe they're like, you know what, I have a lot of things I need to process. What are your tips births helping somebody else to seek help that they need, or encouragement on.
Speaker 1: That right, well, even just the guilt up front, right the idea that I should be able to X, Y or z. And I think we think about things differently in the mental health sphere than we do in the physical home health sphere, even though they're the same thing. Let's be honest. So I think one is in recognizing that the goal of mental health treatment is not to sort of change who you are. I think people worry that there's something about like I'm going to go in and they're just going to change what I'm who I am. It's to actually remove the layers, like excavating, like cleaning a painting, It gets covered in layers. If there's layers of anxiety or depression or addiction, that's interfering with you being your real self. So our job as therapists, as a psychiatrists, whether it's with the medication or with psychotherapy, is to try and remove those layers that are causing the suffering. Right, That's what I'm able to try in my practice, and to not say I won't do medication or I won't do therapy. That really finding someone that you could trust to have a conversation about what is it that really could be helpful. This might be your primary care provider, a nurse practitioner, a physician, it doesn't have to be a psychiatrist per se, but we're going to get started and really being able to talk through these things and keep an open mind for the types of treatment that might be effective. I know people who've done beautifully on medication and other people who've really struggled with it. Right, it's finding the right fit for you so that you get to have the life back that you really want.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's not always easier convenient to fit in, but honestly, I can imagine it's one of those things that kind of pays dividends because if you address these issues, the whole rest of your life is going to feel more worthwhile. And you'll honestly not that we need to link everything back to like productivity or being there for others, but if you don't take care of yourself, it is hard to do other things very well.
Speaker 1: It is. And there is such a magical thing about seeing someone who's really been struggling coming out of that and sort of the brightness in their eyes, the way it just changes their entire being, their posture, their speech, their engagement, their interests. It's a beautiful thing to see. And I think if more people could be on my end and see that, there would be more people seeking the kind of treatment relief that we can provide. Awesome.
Speaker 3: Well, I know you listen to a few episodes of this podcast, so you might know or not that we do a love of the Week segment every week where you just name something that you are happy or excited about in a given week, and it can be a piece of nature, something that happened, a song you heard, a stationary item that happens a lot because I like, look around my desk and I'm like, oh, I love these pens or whatever. But I will go first to give you a minute to think through it. I love that I'm almost done with my invisile line treatment. So I started in visile line like almost a year and a half ago, and you can see my teeth are really straight now. I had braces as a kid. But I'm just really glad I did it. I did it at like a dumb time, like so much other stuff was going on in my life. But I figured, you know what, this can't be that bad. I ended up not minding it at all. I know some people really don't like it. The hardest part is it I always have to take it out to podcast because I don't think my s's are perfectly crisp. But thankfully I don't spend like ten hours a day podcasting, so it all worked out. So that is my love of the week.
Speaker 1: How about you. That's great. I both of my boys are having braces, and so I know that some of the challenges there. We were away last week and we came back and I refilled my bird feeders with like we love the sunflower seeds, and they all came back. I can look out my window now and see them, and for a moment they weren't here, and I was like, oh my gosh, they've given up on me. But they've all come back and they're just such a beautiful, happy sight that it just helps me to take a moment and look out there when I'm feeling stressed or overwhelmed. So that would be my love of the week.
Speaker 3: I love it. Well, thank you so much for coming on. Can you remind listeners where they can find you and the full name of your book.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So the book is Guilt Free Reclaiming your Life from Unreasonable Expectations. It's available broadly. My favorite is probably bookshop dot org because that supports local independent booksellers. And then I have a podcast and a substack called a Mind of her Own, so you can find me there or my website JENNIFERREIDMD dot com.
Speaker 3: Awesome, thank you so much for coming on, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: All right, well we are back. That was a great interview Sarah did with doctor Jennifer Reid talking about guilt, how people feel about guilt, and whether we should at all. So this week's question comes from a listener who says, how do you handle it if your kids are up before you want to be. I'm sure that's never happened in anyone's household. How old did they have to be before you could generally sleep until you wanted.
Speaker 1: All right, Sarah, how about you?
Speaker 3: My two older kids, like I could sleep till noon and they probably would not bother me like a they sleep in because like the hormonal thing is real and be, they would just not feel like they needed to wake me up. I don't think Jennevieve is eight, and on the rare occasion that I'm like I just want to sleep in, she does sometimes tiptoe in there at like seven thirty and it's like I'm gonna make breakfast and it's like, okay, thanks for telling.
Speaker 1: Me, thanks for the update.
Speaker 3: So but obviously that is a far cry from when the kids were younger and they weren't just telling me that they were going to go get a yogurt or something. It was like I have to get up, I have to breastfeed, I have to get their stuff, I have to make sure they don't kill each other like et cetera. So I mean, I feel like the age how old did they have to be? Six to seven maybe, and then I think it's six to seven was the magical age where like if I really really wanted to sleep in, I could preemptively say I left a cereal bar out and you're allowed to watch cartoons until I wake up on Netflix or whatever, and then I could probably sleep till the whole day, the whole day if you want.
Speaker 2: Although the problem is, of course, when your kids start sleeping in as when you stop right like many of us lack the ability to sleep in all that long. I mean, how late would you actually sleep in? No, I'm talking about like eight thirty, but I mean that's late. I think i'd have a caffeine headache by about eight thirty nine in the morning if I hadn't had my cup of coffee by nine am, I'm pretty sure that it would not be a good That's what would wake me up, Like I would need my meds.
Speaker 3: Your lack of coffee would wake you up. Well, do you feel like you're at a point where you can sleep as long as you would like?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean for the most part, yes, because so the older kids, like the three teenagers, Yes, we'll sleep sort of eternally if allowed to. Alex is something of an early bird. He will get up, but he often just gets up and entertains himself, like he'll go grab his phone out of the room quietly and then we'll go watch it to go play on the computer or whatever. He's not going to come seek somebody else out. If he is up, Henry sometimes will come find an adult, but sometimes he will just decide to get up on his own and go downstairs and get my laptop out of my office. He knows how to start it up, and we'll get himself watching videos on it. Probably he should be a bit more supervised, but on the other hand, it's kind of nice not to have to get up and deal with it. So it won't last forever because eventually he still hasn't got to the point where he'll get his own food. So when he's hungry, he will come find an adult, but that wouldn't happen necessarily till eight am or later. So yeah, I mean it's I would say age six is about when you can start being more certain that your sleep is going to be more determined by you than by other people.
Speaker 3: There you go. If you're listening to this and you're pregnant, you only have to wait six years. If you're only happy one child. Yeah, if you're having five, you're gonna have to wait a little longer. But that's on you, all right. Well, this has been best of both worlds. Sarah has been interviewing doctor Jennifer Reid. We will be back next week with more on Waking Worth and life fit together. Thanks for listening. You can find me Sarah at the shoebox dot com or at the Underscore Shoebox on Instagram.
Speaker 2: And you can find me Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. This has been the best of both worlds podcasts. Please join us next time for more on making work and life work together.