Speaker 1: Strap on the boots and scrape up the knuckles on ahead. He got jacked.
Speaker 2: This is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert.
Speaker 3: Terry's gonna score touchdown. Slim to the ground by Buddha Baker Like a torpedo, he keeps flying out of the back.
Speaker 1: Deal the Rage.
Speaker 2: It's brought to you by santan Ford and Gilbert. Right on the price, right on the corner of the sand Tan two to two freeway in.
Speaker 3: Valves WAA crab by Tray McBride.
Speaker 2: That was spectacular, and by Arizona Cardinals Podcast. Visit Azycardinals dot Com Slash podcast.
Speaker 1: All Right, Sea is rising Up.
Speaker 4: Timbert Rising Vision, Blurry Rage, take it over.
Speaker 2: Here's Paul Calbci.
Speaker 3: I'm ready. I'm one hundred percent ready.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you I'm ready.
Speaker 3: And Ron Wolfley.
Speaker 1: It doesn't get any better than that board.
Speaker 3: Why don't we start with today's forecast here in the Hoosier State, Ron Wolfley, as delivered by Cardinals' resident meteorologist Trey mcplay on the sideline. Two words he shouted out when we were over there, football weather. Yes, this is what Drey McBride said, And sure enough, we are bringing you the all weather, water log, rain soaked edition of The Big Red Rage, presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are santan Ford, Paul Kelvic here, Ron Wolfley there in the Great state of Indiana.
Speaker 1: You know what, PAULI, I don't think it just rained. I think it poured for the most part. Right, It kind of poured there for a while. I'd say the first half of practice, for the most part, it was rough. And the reason why it was rough, PAULI is you well know, the field was soaked, the players were soaked in, the pick was soaked. But all three of those things together it was kind of hard to evaluate what was going on on the field.
Speaker 3: Now, Ron Woofley, as a Buffalo Native, Cardinals are tracking for Week one. Everything they're doing right now just is with one objective, get a win in Week one, September eighth. It is exactly is there a chance of weather, chance of rain? Historically on a September eighth day in Buffalo.
Speaker 1: New York, Yeah, Paul, you could have a beautiful day, no doubt about that. In Orchard Park, New York, where the Buffalo Bills play, it could be a beautiful day. Or it could be nasty, Paul.
Speaker 3: So maybe, just maybe it might prove beneficial. We'll see, hopefully not. But once again, the All Weather joint practice number two. A couple of days, we're gonna talk to Chris Barnes all about it. Cardinals standout linebacker. I do say stand out because he got a call out. He got a shout out from the head coach, Jonathan Gannon after the preseason game number one against New Orleans. We talk about that. We'll get into all that speaking to the head coach. Here's Jonathan and Gannon this week, last couple of days, just on the importance of these joint practices, which are all the rage these days in the NFL against the Colts.
Speaker 4: They know they're competing for their roles, and I mean, this is, in my opinion, the closest thing that you can get besides a preseason game to Week one at Buffalo. So they're all business tonight.
Speaker 3: They're nothing new. You went through them back in your day. Wolf, Yeah, they seem to be more popular than ever with head coaches.
Speaker 1: There's no doubt about it. And I think Paully, it's really obvious as to why that would be. Right now, I think coaches, not just head coaches, but I think player and position coaches. I think they get up close and personal views of the guy that they're coaching, and they love that, Pauli. They're running back coach, the offensive line coach, the defensive line coach. They get to look a guy in the eye as he's getting ready to get in a three point stance and try to bury somebody to look at them. They get to talk to them during before and after the rep that they take in one on one period. So I think they love it. They love the up close, personal, hands on let me evaluate this guy. And yet today PAULI, it was really really difficult to evaluate it once again because of the rain. Throws are difficult to evaluate sometimes because the ball is so wet. Catches are difficult. Drops. Was it at a drop or did it? Was it just the ball being so wet. Get Offs by edge players rushing the passer, you know, hey, your get off isn't good here, Well, maybe that's because of the fitting.
Speaker 5: It.
Speaker 1: It's tough to evaluate as a coach as well.
Speaker 3: What's invaluable as well is when you have a guy like DeForest Buckner, multiple time All Pro defensive lineman, all six foot seven of them. You get a different evaluation of your offensive lineman. Sure, going against a guy like that. When you see Darius Robbin on Day one going against Quenton Nelson six Pro Bowls and six years, three time All Pro and Darius Robinson has a couple of pretty pretty good reps against Quenton Nelson, you start to get to a different evaluation of your guys. So it can be positive, it can be negative. You really get a sense of what guys need to work on when you see, for example, a Marvin Harrison Junior in a driving rain against Jalen Jones's starting cornerback today just run a money route in the red zone for a touchdown catch?
Speaker 1: Really did? Marvin Harrison Junior has definitely popped. He popped yesterday as a matter of fact, and today he popped as well. I saw him yesterday. I saw him actually line up. He was to the right of Kyler Murray. He got press coverage. He converted whatever route he was going to run to a fade, all right, just down the sideline. Here it goes a fade to the outside and Kyler Murray threw a beautiful pass. Again, this was yesterday on Marvin Harrison Junior. Marvin Harrison Junior went up and caught the ball. It was a perfect throw, perfectly executed between those two guys, and it made me think, Paulie, that's the possibility right there. You're gonna go ahead and press Marvin Harrison Jr. You might be careful about that because here comes the fade his verticality. He's a tall player to begin with. Right now, He's got low legs, no doubt, but he's got a long trunk and a long reach. And because of that, man that fade. If Kyler with his accuracy, especially when he's throwing the ball to the right, with his accuracy, that could be very dangerous, just like Aaron Rodgers made that play so dangerous.
Speaker 3: They haven't even played in a preseason game. They won't play in a preseason game together before Week one against Buffalo. You can already see the chemistry. Yeah, they're already in sync. In fact, that was a question to Marvin Harrison Junior when he met the media yesterday talking about his dad's relationship once upon a time with Peyton Manning a couple of Hall of famers there, compared to his relationship now with Kyler Murray.
Speaker 6: I'm want to say everybody studied my dad and Peyton's relationship.
Speaker 1: They had their relationship.
Speaker 6: Me and kind of have our relationship, and then we both don't trying to do great things. If we could do what they did, I'd be great.
Speaker 1: Well we're doing.
Speaker 6: We're just worried about and continue to build a relationship. Haven't even played a game yet, so I'm trying to take a baby stets right now.
Speaker 3: It's great to see Marvin Harrison Senior out there. Hall of Famer. He was out watching his son and uh, you know a lot of fanfare from the Colts fans just knowing that Marvin Harrison Junior was out there.
Speaker 1: Man, where do you begin when you think about this? I think of a kid, Marvin Harrison Junior and the fact that he's out there where his dad. Literally he's a legend, he is.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's Mormon Arison Junior having a conversation. I'm not sure how with the Colts mascot Blue, You're like, wait a minute, did the Colts mascot break character? I don't know, but that was a great video.
Speaker 1: No, That's what I'm talking about. It just you know, how can you imagine the pressure that is on him to go out there and make a play, do something good. You know, my dad is over here and he's watching it. You know, everyone knows who. I just can't even imagine what that was like for Marvin Harrison Junior. Yet he flashed a couple of times, no doubt about it. So did Trey McBride, whether it was in a seven on seven period. And that's where you know, you don't have the defensive line, you don't have the offensive line, but you've got linebackers of course, and you've got the secondary, and then you've got your wide receivers in your tight end, and you're running backs and your quarterback. That's what you have in seven on seven. It's throwing the ball. This is what you do in that seven on seven period. You saw Trey McBride really flash in that as well, and I love to see that that kind of chemistry developing between Kyler and Trey.
Speaker 3: Especially if that gravitational pull of coverage goes towards Marvin Harrison Junior. To think of the possibilities of Trey McBride, who spent the last two months of last season getting double coverage all the time. By the way, kick quick side note of Marvin Rrison Junior. He's gonna walk into the Colts Holme Stadium. His dad's name is going to be in the rafters, and he was asked, what will that mean to you?
Speaker 1: Definitely?
Speaker 6: Unfortunately I haven't got a chance to play there, obviously playing a Big ten championship now he got a chance to make it there. But I've been in there before, and seeing his name there will be special, especially as a player there.
Speaker 3: You go and look, he's talked about it. We talked about it right after the draft here on the big Red Rage. He spent his entire life, guess what with the name Harrison as his nameplate in the back of his jersey. It sets the standard. He tries to live up and exceed this standard his dad's set. It does drive him, he admits that. But as you've pointed out, he's a different player, He's a different type of receiver. He still runs those precise routes, but in his size and his speed and a couple of times we saw now once again, nobody's touching Marvin Harrison Junior, either in Cardinals scamp or coltscamp. It's just not happening. So I'm really curious to see how he is after the catch in the regular season, because he has looked elusive and he has looked for him. He has the ability to get some serious yaks some yards after catch. I don't know if he's actually breaking tackles, but he does a really good job of avoiding guys in space, and I am curious how elusive he proves to be after the catch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, once again, I think he is known for being a great route runner, and it's not a surprise when you watch him go do it because you hear me say this Polly all the time. He's got low legs. He's low legs, but his trunk is so long. It's one of the reasons why he's as tall as he is. He's got low legs, which allows him to run great routes, but his trunk is so long. It's kind of different looking at Marvin Harrison Junior right now. But man, I'm really excited based on what we're seeing, and I realize, look, it's two days of practice against the Indianapolis Colts. It's practice, man, Okay, it's not what's gonna happen in a game. How many reps will he actually get with the Colts. I don't know, but I'm just gonna throw this at you. If you're Drew Petsing and you're jg Hey, look his dad's names up in the raptors. Throw the guy the ball.
Speaker 3: So get him out there for the three snaps, get them, get him the football, get him a target, Get him a target. Well, he told you last week he wants preseason action. He got some in Week one, just didn't get any catches. So all right, we'll get back into this. We'll get you some more takeaways, name some more names from the joint practices. When we come back, we're gonna talk to Chris Barnes. Right by the way. Our a minor single game tickets are on sale now. Go to Azycardinals dot com slash buy tickets to secure your seats today at Inside Linebacker Room. Oh my goodness, they have stood out. They have a d lining from him. We'll talk about all that and more from Indy. The Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert prestep drop for strade from the pocket, pass over the middle.
Speaker 2: Picked off, it's sent accepted by Barnes at.
Speaker 3: The ten, running it back to the left of the twenty at the thirties, Barnes running on the jets of the forties and finally tackle the midfield to deflected pass.
Speaker 1: Into Chris Barnes and then man Chris Barnes, looking ladies running up four to four?
Speaker 3: You know what I hear there, Ron Wolfley, what's up, Baul? I hear another defensive candidate for your full back clock.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: Last year was Jesse Luketta. This year, may I present Chris Barnes, Cardinals inside linebacker, the dude who showed off some serious jets. I was on the sideline in Houston when that happened. I'm telling you right now, guys are like, whoa, that was a serious burst. There was a hot moment we thought he was taking at the distance.
Speaker 1: Chris, could you do that? Do you think you could actually play full back? Line up and play full back? I mean, I actually think I could do anything on a field. Whatever's ass As long as you give me the details of what's to do, that's right, I can make it happen. All right.
Speaker 3: Chris Barnes is our guest here on the Big Red Rage, presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert all right, So how's the preseason. How's camp going, how's the month of August? Where you're at? Do you like where you're at?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Of course, So I think everything's going going well right now for the team, even individually too as well. We're in the think of camp for sure. We're actually a joint practice right now against the coach, which is a great opportunity to kind of test our skills, test our scheme against what they got going as well. But I think for myself, I'm having a pretty good camp. I came in, I guessed in different shape this year, took care of my body in a different different way this off. He's in kind of just paid more attention to maximizing my five buckets, as coach jg be saying, So I forgot I took that to heat this year and came in ready to go. So right now I'm feeling good, even though we're in think of camp. My body has those normal camp bruises, but for the most part, I remember it. I'm ready to go.
Speaker 1: So Chris, so, what is the best thing about joint practices and what is the worst thing about joint practice? Yeah?
Speaker 7: I think the best thing, honestly is just not having to hit your own teammates really just going to get somebody else, not in a game like atmosphere, But you're still able to get that work with an opponent, be able to test our rules, test our our eyes, test our communication as a defense, even as offense as well. And going against the Coats, I mean they have they're pretty good team. They have a lot of things they can do with their quarterback, their weapons they have on a receiver as well, and even their running back as well. So for us, it's about playing rules ball then go test that. I would say the worst thing is just traveling really, It's just coming from the West Coast out here to Indy is a little bit of a little bit of a flight.
Speaker 1: You're tea time difference.
Speaker 7: We're playing that six we're playing practicing at six pm, which is kind of new for us a little bit. But I would say that's probably the only worst thing about this whole thing.
Speaker 3: Nothing is like game intensity. But what's it like in a joint practice when you're lined up and there's another team over there and you can just feel the eyes on you, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, one hundred percent. I mean the fans make it a little bit like a game atmosphere too, as well, But when you have a different color jersey line of across from you, you always kind of had the S team to be like, okay, let's go just that little bit harder because you know, no more to protect your teammate. Protect this isn't that, But you still want to be professionals, still don't want to hurt nobody out out there in our practice field. So auntisity's up, for sure, violence is definitely up, but uh we still were still out there practically smart.
Speaker 1: Did you get some juice out there?
Speaker 7: Yes, somebody, Yeah, a little bit, a little bit of juice, a little bit heard coach is saying, keep him up, keep him up. But for the most part is more so just kind of shipping for the ball, trying to get some punches out. A lot of guys out there flying around, make a lot of plays.
Speaker 3: So there's definitely some buzz about Anthony Richardson.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: You look at the Colts quarterback, I'm like, wow, that reminds me of Cam Newton.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you tell, he's like a I don't say a specimen, but he's definitely one of those guys where he has all the tangibles. He's got the high, got the way, got the speed, got the arm, talent, got everything.
Speaker 1: It was amazing because we were talking to a coach and I will not mention his name right here, but we were talking to a coach from the Colts and he told us he can re enact the Michael Jordan's slam dunk taking off from the fall line. You could actually do that, right, He could actually do it and does it. Yeah.
Speaker 7: I've seen a couple of videos on social media of him doing like windmill dunks, two hands slams like some crazy I was going to say.
Speaker 1: Is there anybody on our team? Is there anybody that could actually pull that off? Do you think that there was? Who would it be that Michael Jordan dunk? Yeah, that's a that's a tough one. Um you got she That's a tough one. Okay, So yeah, I don't know any Yeah, that's probably a good answer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let me ask you this question. Chris Barnes is our guest. You left u c l A undrafted, yet you started in your rookie debut, says here. You were the first undrafted rookie in Packers history to do that since the nineteen seventy merger at inside linebackers, So what did mel Kiper mess on you? What did all the evaluators miss on you?
Speaker 7: I truly think I'm a better professional up here in the NFL than I was as a college player.
Speaker 1: I think the college.
Speaker 7: Grounds that you say was a great starting point for me as far as kind of getting my some more confidence in myself knowledge of the game a little bit, Especially my last couple of years, my junior senior year, I started to get a good feel for the game, but I don't think I was really truly ready yet. But when I got into the league, especially coming undrafted, I knew I had no other choice but to go make it happen. So for me, I kind of took that step into my professionalism. I think having guys around me, true vets around me that have done it before kind of helped me in that process as well, kind of build some of that confidence, kind of build some of that that knowledge for the game too as well. So quickly that by the time Week one came, I was able to make start make a few plays, and from there and there just throughout the season just continue to grow myself and take over the Green Dot, continue to just build who I was as a player and now to be year year five. Now, it's crazy coming to undrafted, but it's a blessing each and every day I get a step on that field.
Speaker 1: Talk a little bit about the guys at Green Bay or rookie year. Is there somebody that kind of took you under his wing, a mentor did you have anybody a player maybe? And if so, who was it? Yeah?
Speaker 7: I mean I had a couple of guys over there. I would say Kenny Clark. He's a former UCLA guy as well. Yeah, so he wasn't too far from my locker in the locker room was in Green Bay, and he was one of those guys that kind of just told me, like, just keep doing what you're doing. To know the playbook like the back of your hand. And the guys that know the playbook the best are the guys that are going to be out there and be able to move faster and be able to just produce. And that's the biggest thing in the NFL. So him, prest Smith, really the whole defense in general. They all came around and it really just showed love that my first year, my rookie year, especially because it was COVID year, it was a different year. In preseason. There's no preseason games. There was no I had no combine or nothing. So for me, it was kind of a whole new territory. So for to have them kind of just settle the water for me a little bit. Was was definitely at ease. And also came in with my boy Jordan Love, who I grew up with him from when we was in middle school, so I've known him for a while. So for us to be able to come in together, we was roommates and kind we would have had that same rookie stretch levels a little bit, kind of uh, the tiering them a little bit, was it?
Speaker 1: It was good to have.
Speaker 3: So when Jordan Love was carving up the Cowboys in the playoffs, were you like standing on your couch just cheering for I was.
Speaker 1: I was there. I flew it. Yeah, that for our season.
Speaker 7: So right of our season ended, we I flew out there Dallas to go see him places I wanted to be able to see him play. So that was a good game to go to because he definitely put it on him.
Speaker 1: So special teams has been a big part of what you have done as well, So talk a little a little bit about special teams. In general your thoughts.
Speaker 7: On I think it's huge, especially someone coming undrafted. That's a big part of our game here in the NFL is be able to produce on special teams and be able to be a big part. And I feel like for me, it's whatever my role is, whatever, whatever my role is called to do for that game where this kick off, koar, punt print return defense, you say fullback, maybe shoot, I don't know. Yeah, whatever my role is to be called, I want to be able to maximize that and be my be my best. So I take pride in special teams.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 7: I think it's a it's a big part of the game, and there's there's changes now will kickoff, kickoff return, but I think the game itself is still there, still violent, is still a big part of the game where it could be supposed to plays on kickoff return. Now, some some good players get getting teams backed up on kickoff by being being a blocker. So I'm gonna mess you to see how this year goes. For sure, what's your gut feel? Week one kickoff kickoff return? We kind of get the sense a lot of teams are sitting on some things. It's really vanilla, right, now, Yes, it is, Yeah, it is. I mean even throughout these joint practices, we're trying to get a little fixed on some certain things. You just get a get a feel of it. But you can tell them preseason teams aren't really trying to expose too much. So I know when Week one comes, there's gonna be a lot of twist and trap blocks. Probably it's gonna be a couple of things that pop up that we haven't seen. But that's the name of the game, and from there we'll be able to just and be able to make some big plays ourselves.
Speaker 1: We talk a little bit about the inside linebacker room right now and where you're playing the most weak side and so can you play them both?
Speaker 7: Yes, sir, I mean that's that's what we preach in the room, is you got to be able to know both. No matter where you're playing or where your mainot might be. You got to know the both the back of your hand, because you never know what might happen in the season or in the game as well. So I think we have a great room between Kaizer, White, mac Wilson, myself, Owen. I think we are all raising each other's talent levels and energy levels in that room. Our knowledge is great in that room as well, So to be to be in his room, I think it's it is raising my bar a little bit too as well. There's a lot of guys in there, a lot of guy guys, so a lot of violence, guy guys coming down ready to hit the ball. I will say that. But I'm I'm I'm happy to be happy to be in his room, happy to be able to produce in his room as well.
Speaker 3: I mean, if mac Wilson goes to the edge and some pass strushing situations, there's gonna be room for an extra inside linebacker out there next to Kayzer, I would imagine, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean I hope. So I know we'll have a couple of different things that we could do with with those guys in our in our room as well, even with Owen and Kayzer. So once season comes around, like you say, there will be some things that people haven't seen as well. So I mean it's interesting to see who those things are. But like I said, whatever my name is called, whatever my role might be, I'm ready to ready to produce.
Speaker 3: Here's my question, what does a fortified defensive line room do for an inside linebacker? Because it's day and night that d line from last.
Speaker 7: Year, and it makes our job easier. Alaso's gonna make a lot of plays and they are a big reason for that. So you can tell in the first person to get first preseason game, but even to the camp that the defense is ready to go and they're ready to hunt. They're very physical, building a wall, keeping double teams off of us, so we're able to see the running back and be able to make a certain reason go shoot gaps. So for us, I'm excited. I will say that for our room, we will have a lot of production. Even for upfront. They're gonna do a lot of things up front where you're gonna they're gonna make themselves known for sure.
Speaker 1: So I played ten years in the NFL quise, Okay, so I can tell you right now my strength was that I could generate more desperation than my opponents. I could do that, right, And what do you think your strengths are? I will say my strengths I believe are to be.
Speaker 7: I think my IQ for the game, I feel like it's really high right, just kind of formation recognition, film study allows me to kind of see certain things before the plays he even snapped. I also feel like just my overall I'm trying my overall motor to be one of my strength right now. I feel like my prior years I haven't been able to stay at that certain motor, whereas from first quarter to fourth quarter it kind of varies. But right now, throughout camp and even in off season, I feel like I've I've got my boy to a certain points where I'm working on that pace to be able to have that same speed, to have that same motor throughout the whole the whole game. So I'll definite say my IQ is one of those things that keep me have been keeping me around for sure.
Speaker 3: All Right, I gotta ask you, Darius Robinson, round one rookie, give us your take so far?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can feel his presence.
Speaker 7: I will say that he's one of those guys that's like, yeah, you are a first rounder for a reason, So it's nice to play behind him. His get off is crazy, his strength is crazy. I think there's more. He fine tunes his game within the scheme of learning the playbook, which is I feel he's picking up very well. But just once he learns those five those finite things, and I know he'll pick up details from from Justin Jones and those guys in his room as well. So once this season kind of gets comfortable, or he gets comfortable in his skin and who he is as a player, he's going to be a monster for us.
Speaker 1: Okay, what running back is the beast that blitz pick up? And what running back runs the best.
Speaker 7: Routes for the Cardinals? Yes, I will say the blizz pick up has got to be James Cunnor. We wanna get him a couple times in our practice, and uh, he might have had all of us. I will say he might have had all of us.
Speaker 3: He used to be in the same d line room with Aaron Donald at pitt before they converted him to a running back.
Speaker 1: Which I mean, what should it make us?
Speaker 7: What makes sense for sure, because his strength is and the way his hands are are crazy. But uh, yeah, I will say the best routes you probably gotta give it to. I mean, James up there too, but Mike Carter. He's just a shifty guy that can get it in the out of his cuts and he's a heck of a talent two for us.
Speaker 3: All right, So Chris is wrapping up when you go against Green Bay this year Cardinals and Packers. You know, are you a trash talker? You're gonna be yelling across the line your guy, Jordan Love. How's that gonna work?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I mean I don't already say too much trash during the game, kind of keep it between the white lines and talking my pads. But I might say a couple of things before the game for the game, say a couple things to more for more players I know over there too that are still playing. And gotta say a little treshot to my god Jay love too as well. But it's there's no love between the lines than the all four quarters after.
Speaker 1: That will be all love again. So we'll see what it comes. Week five. Glad you're here. I appreciate you. Appreciate it. Yeah, glad to be here. We enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: There you go, Chris Barnes. We continue with a big red rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert second down and eight Carnalds of the Saints ten, trying thirteen to seven to the year out of the gun throwed in the near flat haff by Tony Jones Jr. Makes a man miss of the five dives towards the pylons. Hen he's in touchdown. Cardinals, Tony Jones Junior finishes the drive with the catch and run into the end zone and look at Claim tun and celebrating with all the offensive linemen, daffing them up. Tuned in a great job scanning the end zone and then realizing I got to hit my check down. And Tony Jones Junior did the rest, feeding the Saints defense to the pilot. So the Arizona Cardinals have a quarterback question.
Speaker 1: It's QB two.
Speaker 3: You know, I've been accused the times of trying to fan the flames of a quarterback controversy to get us through training camp. Indeed, I could easily do it right now, but I won't. All right, decorum will intervene and common sense. But there is a competition going on for QB two. Welcome back into the Big Red Rage, our all weather edition here in Indianapolis. Joint practices in the books. The second one water logged. But as the olderfro Holt said, a lot of ups, some downs. We got a lot out of this. Chris Barnes very positive, right, you're him talking all about that. Appreciate his time, and so you know it's as close as the regulars guys who will never see the preseason we'll ever get to a regular season look in the month of August because they're not playing in these preseason games. So boom, there you go. But once again we come back to a big question for Mania support and Jonathan Gannett QB two. You go ahead, you size it up. Who is the clubhouse leader? Is there one? And where do you think this is all tracking?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Paul, you know, once again, I do believe that Clayton Tune has the advantage right now. Now, this is just me. Nobody has said a word to me about this. Okay. I love Desmond Ridder, I love his game. I was really excited when the Cardinals acquired Desmond Ridder. So I'm looking at him right now and I'm thinking, Okay, I think Clayton Tune has the advantage because of how he played against the New Orleans Saints. Clayton Tune had a very very strong game. Ridder not so much. And because of that, I would say, if Clayton Tune goes out there and starts, and I believe he's going to start the first half of this second game, this preseason game coming up, and then Desmond Ridder will get to play in the second half, just the way that it was. But it was opposite, of course, it was Desmond Ridder getting the start and then Clayton Tune playing in the second half. I think if Clayton Tune goes out there and lights it up again like he kind of did in the second half of that first game, I think he's probably going to win that job Paul at that point in time. Now, again I don't have any inside information on that, but I think that Clayton Tune has had a better training camp overall than Desmond Ridder.
Speaker 3: The contrast was striking from the first half where first downs were really hard to come by, to right out of the gate first drive of the second half, he just moved the Cardinals right down the field. Yeah, just completion after completion, couple of chunk throws in there. He made it look very easy. Those who do it best make it look easy. He was very efficient. It just there was a striking contrast. Now, you could argue that Desnion Ritter had a second team offensive line going against the ones for New Orleans. You're a good part of the first quarter. That's a legit argument, correct, he had a chunk throw down the sideline on the money to Blake Whiteheart dropped, dropped. That's tough. That really impacted his stats and that would have, you know, got the Cardinals down into Saints' territory. So there were a few mitigating factors, no.
Speaker 1: Doubt about it, Bully once again. But it's not just the New Orleans Saints game. It's also training cap yep in general. I think we've we've all been watching this and again Desmond Ritter and Clayton Tune are locked in a battle for QB two right now. But also kind of like today, just watching it today, go out there and Desmond Ritter, he threw a pick during two minutes, it's a two minute drill. They had a live situation going out out there where they wanted to really go up tempo and Desmond Ritter was out there and he threw a pick and Clayton Tune literal on the next play. Desmond at one play threw the pick and that was it, and all of a sudden, they put Clayton Tune in new possession. That's what it was. So they put him in and Clayton Tune actually moved the ball in that two minute drill. Again, it was one period, it was one drill, but it was a drill in which Clayton Tune looked better than Desmond Ritter.
Speaker 3: Here's Jonathan Gannon this week on how the two backup quarterbacks played against the New Orleans Saints.
Speaker 4: I thought did some good things. I mean extendison plays. I know he ripped that. I mean the protection was really good, but he ripped the third down to Zach that ended up being explosive play. Some things that get better at. Clayton came in, made some throws. The operation was pretty clean, has some things he's got to clean up and get better at. So like where that's at. We'll see how that goes the next couple of days. Make a decision who's going in when. I like the plan laid out right now as we sit here today, but depending on what happens these next two days, we might adapt that. But they're both in a good spot ready to go.
Speaker 3: Clayton Tune looks like he's in year two of a system. He looks like he's in year two of an NFL career. Last year, the one game we got to see him during the regular season, that was rough. Go for multiple reasons. One, you're going against Cleveland. He was a fierce win down on the field, but you had a fierce defense. You're going against Miles Garrett, NFL Defensive Player of the Year, leading the way. But I think more than anything, he was laid in his decision making and seven times he was sacked and a number of those were on the quarterback. And Jonathan Ganna has meant Barton once during this training camp that he's just quicker his decision makers, decision making, He's quicker in his release. You know, the accuracy and anticipation has always been there for Claytonton. He's just he knows where he's going pre snap and what he told the media right pre snap and post snap are now linking up in his mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that was really a tough assignment right there, PAULI, when you think about it as well as you already said Miles Garrett, the Cleveland Browns, okay, one of the best defenses, if not the best defense in terms of getting after the quarterback. Very very tough assignment right there for Clayton Tune in that one game that he was out there playing. But having said that, it does look like he has taken that next step, and you got Desmond Ridder, a guy once again who I'm not ruling out because if he goes out and plays well here it is game two. He plays well in Indianapolis, of course, that could change everything going into week three. I just have this feeling if he does struggle again, that you might want to go ahead and declare trying to give Clayton Tune a little bit of confidence, maybe saying, hey, if Clayton Tune goes out and plays great against the Colts, Desmond Ridder might struggle again, you might want to go ahead and just declare, hey, he's going to be our guy. He's going to be our backup going into it. We don't know how many quarterbacks we're going to keep. We don't know that yet. I'm sure there's a possibility they could only keep two, maybe a third on the practice squad because you want that extra arm in camp. But we'll have to wait and see how it's all gonna shake out. It's a long way from a decided who's QB two.
Speaker 3: So the media asked Clayton Tune, all right, how do you think you played against the New Orleans Saints. Yeah, I definitely felt more comfortable. I felt like I was.
Speaker 1: Seeing the defense and confident in the game plan.
Speaker 3: So you know, I felt like I was seeing it well and playing on time. Here's the thing, They're only keeping two quarterbacks, and I'd lean towards that just based on the fact you have a loaded roster, much more competitive, much more talented than a year ago. Great observation, you're gonna want that spot, so okay, and now all of a sudden, let's say that you get further confirmation on what we already seen. Clayton Tuon is going to be quarterback two. And that's your takeaway after Saturday night against the Colts preseason game number two. I threw this out there earlier. Once again, I'm not sure trying to stir it up. I'm just openly wondering, thinking out loud, does Mania support try and find a fit for Desmond Ridder elsewhere just because he might have actual trade value since he has over a dozen starts under his belt the last two years for the Atlanta Falcons.
Speaker 1: Yes, no, you're right on, at Polly. I mean, that's exactly what I see as well. They're listen. You always have to remember the fact that the Cardinals gave up something to get Desmond Ridder. Okay, Clayton soon they went ahead and drafted him. Now you know, I mean that's something near and dear to their heart as well, but they drafted them. You want ahead and gave something up Rondel Moore to actually get Desmond Ridder here. So because of that, Polly, you're right on this thing. And it may be a situation where if Clayton soon goes out in that second preseason game, you may want to go ahead and research what is going on out there because there would be people that would want to want to make a move, maybe Desmond Ritter, if in fact they knew they had two weeks before the season to do it.
Speaker 3: Look at the Vikings with JJ McCarthy. Look at the Rams, Matthew Staffords little banged up. Guess what, Jimmy g can't play the first two games. He suspended Stetson Bennett just threw four interceptions in a preseason game, just saying there might be takers and those interested. He's a quarterback man, so we'll see. Hey learn more about Cardinal season tickets, single game tickets, premium seating, group tickets, the all new luxury field seating experiences today twenty twenty four. Home opponents include the Bears, the Chargers of Patriots, the Jets, Alliance Commanders, and the course of the division. For all that and all the ticket information, go to Easycardinals dot com slash tickets. All right, these rookies from last year have definitely made a jump, including Oen Papo. We're going to talk about him, other guys who are flashing on defense. It is the big red Rage from Indianapolis, all presented by santan forward in Gilbert third down at twelve car with time he's gonna check down into the flat and nothing doing. Oh and Papo runs down the running back along the line of scrimmage, three and out for the Saints offense and the athletic inside linebacker making the play in space. When I realized Owen Papo played sixteen games as a rookie last year, his Twitter handle at the freak and he showed that ability there. Well, if I mentioned this, there's an old saying in the war room. When you get into rounds five, six, and seven, win into doubt. Take the freak. Take someone with that athletic upside. Take someone who would have the measureables and the ability to compete in the NFL. But maybe there's a drawbacker he needs further seasoning or what have you. So when you're in round five and you see this year Xavier Thomas is on the board, for example, and he has elite speed off the edge, boom, Wait a minute, it's worth taking a shot. Last year, Owen Papo, the guy whose twitter and will again is at the freak and were really speedy guy and ultra strong, and but maybe it was just a little raw coming out. And now all of a sudden, under the tutelage of a Kai Zerra White and Chris Barnes we heard from earlier, Look what you might have in year two, Paulli.
Speaker 1: There's also an old saying that says, take the football player, not the freak. All right, take the football player, not the freak. I'm just say there's two school of thoughts on that one, right there. Man, Your thoughts on what you're seeing right now, though, Paully, your thoughts on what's happened in some numbers, Maybe that comes to mind to you.
Speaker 3: Well, I think of the entire draft class in year two, Garris Johnson Junior is now your franchise left tackle, and he looked good against the likes of DeForest Buckner and Leato Alatu. In these joint practices, you got Michael Wilson, you have Garrett Williams, big hawks, big components on both sides of the ball. Right, So think of all the guys who have taken Clayton tune looked so much better in year two. Think of the guys last year and now Owen Papos, Dante Stills, why doing up last week? Think of the guys last year who have taken that big leap into year two and the return on investment Manias Safford is getting from that initial draft class.
Speaker 1: Yeah, PAULI, I'm really encouraged what I'm seeing with Paris Johnson Jr. I really am in the job that he has been doing here. That's a number that has grabbed my attention. Also, Darius Robinson, I'm so sorry, but you you this guy is popping. There's no doubt about it. I saw the bull rush against Quentin Nelson as well. Now, again it's one bull rush in a one on one, but we've seen Darius Robinson do some other things so far in training camp. The New Orlands Saints game, the first preseason game. How well he played. He came with a arm over swim after jacking Caesar Louise, the right guard, a guy who was a first round pick, a guy who was a starter for the New Orleans Saints. Jacking him and then swimming the move was incredible. Now the ball came out, it was battered into the air, of course, but what Darius Robinson has flashed is really really impressive in that game and in training camp, and he continues to grab the eye.
Speaker 3: I'm getting to the point now or I'm not even listening to what guys are saying. I'm just observing the reaction when you say the name Darius Robinson. Did you hear Chris Barnes earlier in the show, we brought up Darius Robinson. Oh yeah, right, just his reaction gamer And so okay, so you have that. Now, let's get back to on Papo for a minute, because he has really emerged over the course of this camp. And here's what he had to say just about his objective and how he wants to make an impression.
Speaker 5: Early at the end of last season, you know, jayj had to meet on Otto Rooki's and he's just really talked about how important it is that jumped from year one year two. You know, so this whole offseason, just keep my head down, put in a lot of work, and de Mangos just making ampression early. So he's just gonna keep on building everything I've done so far.
Speaker 3: It's just me thinking out out loud here again. But if mac Wilson Senior goes to the edge, especially on third down, Owen Papo comes in, has the speed to cover backs and tight ends, and then all of a sudden, mac Wilson Senior is one of those edge rushers and it's Kaisier and Owen Papo in those situations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's it's a possibility, Paul. I think it would have to be based on the down in distance, as you said, is a third no obvious pass situation where you're gonna take mac Wilson and put him up there on the edge. That's a possibility. But maybe you're gonna bring a dB in somebody, a dB you might actually bring in there, depending on the personnel group that's out on the field. Maybe it's eleven personnel, maybe it's den It really it depends on the situation. I think who the personnel might be, but I will tell you right now, Xavier Thomas is a guy that you have noticed and mentioned to me a couple of times, and I'm just watching him develop as well. He got the sack, of course in the Saints game, a couple of other nice pass rush moves coming from Xavier Thomas in that game. He's done the same thing here. Xavier Thomas has has flashed again. At least in my way of thinking. I think this young guy's got a chance. Something's happening with him, Paul, I don't know what it is, but something is definitely happening with fifty four.
Speaker 3: When you see him go against the Colts starting right tackle Braden Smith and he had his way in a couple of reps, you realize, Okay, this isn't just a byproduct of him going against backups and Cardinals camp that he is legit. Love to hear what Jonathan Gannon thinks after this second preseason game.
Speaker 1: And the other player too, LJ. Collier. This is a guy that we have talked about disruptive. He is disruptive. That is great, and that's it. That's exactly what they would want him to be. Is that three technique you could put in there who would be disruptive. The most destructive force in the universe is a disruptive three technique and Aaron Donald knows all about that. And LJ. Collier just because he's not a three hundred and thirty pounder, he's not that big guy. He's built like Aaron Donald. Again, I'm not saying he's Aaron Donald. I'm just saying his build, his frame very similar.
Speaker 3: And a former first round pick of Seattle.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Two other guys the Cardinals grabbed off the scrap heat at the end of camp last year. Roy Lopez has been a standout and Starling Thomas. Here's Starling Thomas on what he did this offseason to make his own jump.
Speaker 8: I just feel like the bastiments I put into myself and the overall game and the sacrifice that I made this offseason.
Speaker 1: I didn't go home.
Speaker 8: I actually stay here and kind of work with Buddha and jto off season and just being around those guys and they save you around good people and you belcome good yourself. So being around two pro bo type players, man, I'm trying to become on myself. So just hanging out with those guys has elevated me a lot.
Speaker 3: Coming into camp. It was arguably the biggest question. Who was going to start on the other side of Sean Murphy bunting. Now, when you're going with only two corners, it could be Garret Williams. But for the most part, you're playing three cornerbacks and you're gonna play that Slaughter Nickel corner. So who's outside and right now, if you're gonna line up and play, it would be Starling Thomas, especially since Max Melton has been nicked up a little bit.
Speaker 1: Man, he looks really, really good too. I love the way Startling Thomas is competing, No doubt about that. Pully. Let me ask you this, the number three wide receiver, Who is your number three wide receiver on the team right now?
Speaker 3: Well, I would definitely go Greg Dorsch, but he would be your slot receiver if you're going an outside receiver. I thought, who had a good practice today? Zay Jones Jones. I thought he had two good practices against the Colts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Zay Jones has flashed. There's no doubt about that. Polly a nice dig route, ran an awesome dig route, and Clayton tune in that two minute drill actually hit him good throw by Clayton Tune in really bad weather as well right now. But Greg Dorch is he's on a mission right now. He is eleven personnel. You're gonna have Michael Wilson, I think, with Marvin Harrison junior of course, and then Greg Dortch could be that third guy. Say Jones might be into that mix as well, but Greg Dortch in terms of running routes, he's smoking dudes right now.
Speaker 3: The fifth receiver spot is something to watch against the Colton cerinnat Xavier Weaver, the undrafted rookie on Colorado, and Dan Shasena, who we both learned in the last twenty four hours might be the fastest guy in the team.
Speaker 1: Four three to two.
Speaker 3: I did not know that he ran track at Penn State, and so his performance against the Saints a preseason game number one is certainly not a fluke. He's been doing it on the practice field with regularity. Hey, Cardinals student passed alows college students to get info on Cardinals internships, discounts, and more. Go to Ezycardinals dot com Slash Student Past Special Thanks Chris Barnes. Cardinals inside linebacker Jim al Mahondro, Cody Fincher, Matt Lazarus, Ron Wolfley, I'll Paul KELBC wolf go get a shower and dry off. It was a great joint practice. The Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert Jaw.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert right on the price, right on the corner of the Santan two to two freeway and valves Stay. The Rage is brought to you by Arizona Cardinals Podcast. Visit Azycardinals dot com slash podcast.
Speaker 1: We're gonna see a little big Red Rage football right here.
Speaker 2: This has been an exclusive presentation of the Arizona Cardinals Football Club.