Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This He's Talking Cowboys, Straining live.
Speaker 3: From the Dallas Cowboys World.
Speaker 1: Course at the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 4: Six past second Pascott Pixon.
Speaker 1: And now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 5: Hey, Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: And fifty days.
Speaker 4: It is a victory Monday here.
Speaker 2: On Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Thirty four twenty six, the Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Take down Dan Quinn and d C.
Speaker 2: The commander said we want Dallas.
Speaker 6: Well guess what you got, Dallas Baby. The Cowboys get their fourth win of the year. Does it change what the season looks like?
Speaker 2: No, no it does not.
Speaker 6: Does it change the way that you attack day to day basis within the building?
Speaker 2: No, probably not. However, it does show.
Speaker 6: Why we love the sport of football, why we play the games, and why winning is so much fun. Thirty four to twenty six. You take down a division rival, you do so in wild fashion. I mean this was a three to three game at halftime. It ends up with thirty one points for the Cowboys. It ends up with twenty three points for the commander's fifty one combined points or fifty four combined points between the two of them. Sure enough, you end up on top and you get win number four. I know half of the fan base wants a drive pick. We told you on talking Cowboys before. We ain't about that, not about that tank life. Nah, that's not the case.
Speaker 2: Cowboys get the win, and it was a whole lot of fun to watch.
Speaker 4: Pat. Listen you saying it with your.
Speaker 8: Chest mustards on the beat, mustard on the beat.
Speaker 4: Listen, it is one thing.
Speaker 8: It is one thing to get a win, especially when you're when that win ends a five game losing streak, right, But to do it on the road against a longtime bitter divisional foe who had the audacity, the nerve, the unmitigated gall to say you wanted Dallas.
Speaker 4: Three weeks ago after you beat the Giants.
Speaker 2: Let's not get carried away. We played them this week.
Speaker 4: Guys.
Speaker 8: No, no, what I'm saying, Okay, okay, I don't want to.
Speaker 2: I don't want to. I don't want the same thing to happen to us.
Speaker 8: Point being, you called out like you said in the you called out the Cowboys as if the Cowboys weren't already going through some things, so calling out the Cowboys at that point, it's like, what were you doing?
Speaker 4: But careful what you wish for.
Speaker 8: Cowboys went up there at Northwest Stadium, and I cannot say enough about the defense. I know, things got unbelievably crazy in the fourth quarter. I said on Twitter and Blue Sky last night, I was like, it felt like a fever dream, Like I felt like I was going to wake up at any moment, and as it turns out, I was dying from malaria and none of that actually happened in real life.
Speaker 9: But no, I get what you're saying, though.
Speaker 4: It was like a halation exactly right.
Speaker 8: Unicorns and you know, tripping balls, so one of those situations. So but outside of that, man, the defense came to play. I mean they came to play smash mouth football and that was the best defensive effort of the season. For the two interceptions, fumble recovery, four sacks. Everybody was involved. Shouts out to Josh Butler, you go into this game. Happy birthday to Josh Butler's well you come out in this game. You Treyvon Diggs, he's ruled out. Darron Bland first game back probably going to be some rust and he's gonna be on the pitch count. Kaitln Carson made inactive. And then you look at what was happening on the offensive line, Tyler Smith and Zach Martin. Everybody's like, oh, commanders are going to run through this team, And you know, rightfully it was. It was a stance to have. It was a lot of adversity. Cowboys locker room. Those guys were not having any of it.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 8: They stood up, they stood tall, and they gave the Cowboys offense chance after chance after chance after chance. They fought through exhaustion. Normally they get gassed in the third quarter. That there was no third quarter implosion for the defense, so.
Speaker 9: You thought maybe there might be.
Speaker 8: Absolutely first, this was a defensive they tried in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they know what they made.
Speaker 4: They tried. They gave it, you know, the old college tribe.
Speaker 8: But no, man, seriously, man shouts out to this locker room, shouts out to this coaching staff, and yeah, it was fun to watch and being there in person, seeing that I've never experienced a football game like that in my life.
Speaker 10: No, I don't even want to wax poetic on it. You just needed that win so badly, So like, who cares about a draft pick?
Speaker 11: Man?
Speaker 10: And I think I said this on the air on Friday, is that more than anything?
Speaker 9: Just win the dang ball game, man?
Speaker 10: And you got to think that there was a chip on Mike McCarthy's shoulder to go out there against dan Quinn and get a win. And part of me is like, Okay, I loved what Mike McCarthy did. I said he needed to get in his back in this one.
Speaker 9: So it's like, all right, what has been our Achilles hill on defense?
Speaker 10: You know, since dan Quinn was a defensive coordinator and it's a run defense, stopping right, stopping the run? What'd you decide to do as Mike McCarthy and the Dallas Cowboys, but run the dang ball as much as you can with our boy?
Speaker 9: Did you do it?
Speaker 4: There?
Speaker 12: It did?
Speaker 9: So you got him And not that he kills him.
Speaker 2: On the ground.
Speaker 10: He didn't do a sa Quon Barkley and run for two hundred and fifty five yards.
Speaker 9: On the ground.
Speaker 2: That was wild too.
Speaker 9: He didn't do that.
Speaker 2: He didn't do that.
Speaker 10: But the Dallas Cowboys, the the intent was there, We're gonna run the ball down your throat and we're gonna.
Speaker 9: Smash mouth our way.
Speaker 10: This this entire game, you saw it from Cooper Rush. Dude, Cooper Rush being decisive, being careful with the football, and being able to manage, not just manage, but overperform as Cooper Rush does right it this game.
Speaker 9: That's this, this small sample size of this game. It was just great to see, man, it was.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 10: It was uplifting almost, you know, like I felt emotional at the end of that game. Granted, while you let emotionally white, yes, you let scary Terry get them back into the game. However, all that considered, I you know, as soon as kman de Turpin, come on, de Turpin Man, as soon.
Speaker 4: As I'm gonna let you say it, go ahead and say it. Man.
Speaker 10: Oh the people have said, they've said, because you know, Beam is trying to get his his nickname off.
Speaker 8: That's fine, Patrick Turtmanian Devil is that that's Beamer's nickname, Torpedo, Torpedo.
Speaker 2: That's a good one.
Speaker 9: He's trying to get Torpedo.
Speaker 8: To Turmanian Devil. After that spin move, that was good. That was because that was a nasty.
Speaker 2: One, Turbo Turp, I've seen that that's a good one too.
Speaker 10: But do you know what I saw in my mentions all day yesterday.
Speaker 2: I saw it hurt Trvy speed speed.
Speaker 13: Baby, come on, that's gonna be hard to beat.
Speaker 9: Turkey Turby speed Speed.
Speaker 4: It's just.
Speaker 9: That spin move absolutely won the game. Wars Man shouts him, shouts everybody.
Speaker 10: I mentions for for throwing out Turvy speed speed and in the in the pre game and the post game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hit it in the high. Don't you worry? Oh god, I say that one. Oh yeah, I got you.
Speaker 6: That's the thing, though, is like every time Turpin does anything, it's all of our mentions.
Speaker 2: Don't worry, Tommy, You're not a mute.
Speaker 4: Mention.
Speaker 2: Let's go Turpy Turpy speeds be it is a movement. Don't fight it.
Speaker 4: Don't fight it over.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 9: It's not good on purpose. It just makes sense, it does.
Speaker 2: You know. It's just so good.
Speaker 7: You heard Joe Davis in the middle of the call as he was scoring fastest man in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Which factually this year he hated it. So it was fun. It was a lot of fun about.
Speaker 14: Look, I mean, we talk about and we've asked people have asked McCarthy this they asked players this all the time, the must win games question, right, like, is it a must win game? When you look at this and you take it eleven point lead with five minutes and sixteen seconds left to go, get punched back two minutes later, then punched right back immediately, and you go back up by ten with two forty nine. You're feeling really good, and then you give up ten unanswered in less than two minutes. If this game had gone to overtime and the Cowboys drop this game, you just wonder what that would have done meant, that would have been incredibly mentally draining.
Speaker 13: The good part, though, is we don't have to worry about that the course exactly exactly.
Speaker 14: But this just shows this is a gritty win, and this is one that this locker room I feel like.
Speaker 13: Really really really needed.
Speaker 14: And going back to your point about Rico, he doesn't have to run for one hundred and fifty yards a game. He just has to do enough to set up the passing game, because let's be honest, this Cowboys offense isn't reliant on the run. Now, this is not a running offense. It's not their identity. It never was going to be this year So if you open the door for Cooper Rush to do what he did and throw for two hundred and forty seven yards and two touchdowns, this is a much better team. And I think you saw that. You obviously want to see the defense play all four quarters and not let Terry mclaurin's score with twenty one seconds left to play in the game, But you take your win. I think this was Mike zimmer best game as a defensive coordinator with the Cowboys, absolutely throughout the majority of the game, obviously that last stretch.
Speaker 13: But I'll also come out on the winning side of that. You take it.
Speaker 8: I'll also add this because one of the the crux of my argument as far as the outfit in twenty four being unsavory for Cooper Russ versus the outfit he stepped into in twenty twenty two, it was the offensive line.
Speaker 4: Brock Hoffman and TJ. Bass step to.
Speaker 8: The front of the line, Sir's fantastic performance by those two young men and Cooper BB is gussy asolutely.
Speaker 9: One pressure was it? One?
Speaker 8: Zero pressures for Cooper BB. One pressure each for Hoffman and Bass.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 6: And they were both in the second half too, not in the first half when you were trying to establish a rhythm.
Speaker 2: They were both in the second.
Speaker 8: Half and that was against the defensive line in Washington that we came in and yeah, we came in and we gave them there there Rose It said this is one of the better defensive lines in the NFL, and that is still true. But those two young men stepped in and the absence of two all rolls and just handled business. It allowed Cooper Rush time back there in the pocket to go through his reads and get comfortable. Then once Cooper Rush got comfortable, Yes, it took a while because the first half offense, first three quarters was a mix of inaccuracy. But then when he was accurate, there were some drops. Right, But then Tom, you talk about punching back. Jaylen Tobert has the early drop or does he give you in the third quarter your first third quarter touchdown of the season, right, Jaalen offensive touchdown of the season. Yeah, that's wild to say that, right, Jalen Brooks didn't have a great first half, What does he give you a critical forty.
Speaker 4: Plus yard catch down sound line? Massive? Right?
Speaker 2: He ended up in three points before the break.
Speaker 8: These guys have just been battling the resilience in this one game is mind blowing to show. So when everybody, not everybody, but when a lot of fans outside the building, they've been wondering, has Mike McCarthy lost the locker room and we kept saying no, has has you know, have these guys checked out?
Speaker 4: And we kept saying no.
Speaker 8: Talk about the play from CD Lamb it was a DPI on nug but.
Speaker 4: After that stood out. After he looks at the rough like where's my flag?
Speaker 8: And then it clicks, He's like, man, whatever, I got to get this play back. He goes, he hit some forces of the fumble, hundred licky covers and like I told CD last night, I was like, you know what, that penalty negated the play, but the message scent can't be negated, no doubt, effort, resiliency, That's what this glocker room.
Speaker 9: From Week two CD to Week twelve CD.
Speaker 4: It's the growth for me, that's growth.
Speaker 2: Yes, I just want to see it start that way next year.
Speaker 6: Of course, as it kind of happened last year too, where it was a little shaky at the beginning and then it got.
Speaker 2: Better and better. I would like to see it start in week one.
Speaker 9: Next maybe a training camp.
Speaker 2: Might know that would be.
Speaker 6: Great, that would I think that sprinkled that it would make out Now. I thought another play that stood out was juan Ya Thomas.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, and man, I know both the returns.
Speaker 6: Both the returns. I didn't love the on site kick return. That's not really what I'm talking about here. You gotta go down there. I know it was your first touchdown. I get it, special ball.
Speaker 9: He's done.
Speaker 6: And I would say the same thing the CD ye gotta go down, gotta go down.
Speaker 2: You gotta know the game situation, so down, make it happen.
Speaker 6: We saw it and I was watching a college game this week and the running back had a wide open lane to the end zone and he slid down to secure a win. Lots of things happened at the end for the Cowboys, so it was crazy Yanye Thomas decided to cross the coal line. But I'm going to go further back the two point conversion. Jaden Daniels was rolling out on the bootleg right and it was a designed run. He was trying to find a window and there were layers to the defense. Donovan Wilson did not set the edge, but then there was a second guy on the outside that it was yan Ye Thomas did not set the edge. Michael Parsons was a free runner and it was designed to be a free runner to get to Jade and Daniels, but he was impeded because yan Ye Thomas did not set the corner the way that he should have set that edge and allow for Michael Parsons to run free to the quarterback. You saw MICA's reaction turn around, He's jumping up and down, He's clapping. He would he was talking to jan Ye Thomas. One snap later on the kick return for Cavante Turpin. You talked about the ups and downs Tommy a moment ago where it was, oh, they get punched and punched and counter punched him back and forth that play.
Speaker 2: Who do you see leading the.
Speaker 6: Charge for Cavante Turpin in the right place, at the right time and with all the effort you've ever.
Speaker 2: Seen from an individual on a kick return. It was Yanye Thomas.
Speaker 6: So I think the way that you see that there's learning moments on every snap for this Cowboys team, and even in a win, there's a lot that they're gonna go back to and they're gonna say, we can't do that. Anymore, and they probably will still do it as the season goes along, because, like we've talked about, this is not a very good football team right this second. But the effort was very good on Sunday, and that's all you can ask for in that specific.
Speaker 8: And not only was the effort sensational, but this this was some of the best execution I've seen. I Mean, you talk about guys like Eric Kendricks, and we already know what demarveyon Ovashon is. He just continues to show what he is. But when you go down even the defensive line, Chauncey go Chauncey Ghoston left to get an IV put in his arm because he was suffering from dehydration, and suddenly he comes back and he snatching an interception away from Brian Robinson for his first career interception. Asked about it after the game, Chauncea Ghosting was like, I didn't even know it was an interception. I was just playing for the football was there, so I took it. And that's how the Cowboys did yesterday at Northwest Stadium.
Speaker 4: They saw football and they took it.
Speaker 10: But you saw them creating turnovers to like very unlike the cat Dallas Cowboys defense this year forcing fumbles like Donovan Wilson had one of his best games and while also too, by the way, shocking shockingly enough, right, who was the Scarytory touchdown on?
Speaker 4: Was that?
Speaker 9: More so Josh Butler, who had a great game, to be fair.
Speaker 6: So I think it was a breakdown everybody. Yeah, Jay Lou was up and he let Terry McLaurin over the top, and I think it's because he thought Butler was there almost boundary, and I think Butler got a little too far inside and scary Terry just went to space deliver the grave and.
Speaker 4: That was a dot of a throw into that coverage.
Speaker 2: So I think it was bad. I think it was busted coverage and then doing scary Terry things.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the one gaff on defense, the one, Yeah, that was that was one.
Speaker 2: The one that was a big one.
Speaker 9: That was a big one. It was a big one.
Speaker 8: That But you know what, I love what Michael said after the game. You know, I asked him about the defensive effort and and showing more than just a couple of quarters and fighting through the exhaustion, and he was and immediately he was like, we can't have what happened at the back end of that game.
Speaker 4: We can't.
Speaker 8: We can't the first question, right, He was like, we can't rely on a missed field goal. We got to seal the game as the defense. When we can't seal the game period, bottom line, Mamba mentality, that's what I like to see.
Speaker 4: Let's go.
Speaker 10: But you gotta love the defensive performance overall. That one play. Yeah, I mean, that was just, that was just.
Speaker 8: They were only the only reason they were in the game for any of that to matter, laid in the full court. It was because of the defensive effort with the majority of the game preceding there.
Speaker 10: And you talk about like the third quarter collapse. I think we've talked about it quite a bit. It's like how often that becomes just a nightmare quarter for the Cowboys. But you and it started to come to fruition their first drive, Washington goes down, scores scores right away, and you're like, here.
Speaker 2: It is, here we go here, we go in the wrong way.
Speaker 8: And we're not talking about Tommy Yrsh's fantastic audicle here.
Speaker 9: No, no, no, thank you.
Speaker 13: They won the third quarter yesterday. When was the last time they did that?
Speaker 6: Pland literally probably maybe that was it.
Speaker 4: Did they went third quarter? Yeah?
Speaker 6: I think that because the one touchdown that they didn't have in the third quarter was the Cavante Turpin sixty return in that game.
Speaker 2: So I think they scored.
Speaker 9: It tends to score, doesn't he.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 14: So I posted a screenshot of that play. Turpin has his foot in the ground and his back turn to the defense at the ten yard line, with four defenders within fi ive yards of him, a guy on the edge too, How on earth does he score from there? I mean, that is a special player. Unbelievable, that is.
Speaker 4: That's Listen, our good friend what's his name?
Speaker 8: Oh, Kyle Yeoman's put a fantastic tweet up yesterday, But it's your stats.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna let you read it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Cavante Turpin fifth player since the NFL merger to have a punt return touchdown, a kick return touchdown, and a sixty plus yard receiving touchdown in the same season.
Speaker 4: Who are those other guys?
Speaker 6: Well, he's the first one to do it since two thousand and seven. And the guy who did it in two thousand and seven his name was Devin Hester, who's now Hall of Famer. Oh no, not Yeah, two thousand and two and two thousand and three. Dante Hall did it in back to back years. Buddy Terrence Wilkins did it for Indianapolis back in nineteen ninety nine and then nineteen seventy seven. Billy Johnson Sweet Shoot did it for the Houston Oilers.
Speaker 4: Listen, man, pretty wild.
Speaker 8: When you are in the same company as Devin Hester and Dante Hall, you might be.
Speaker 2: Playing very good at football.
Speaker 13: It's very good at football.
Speaker 2: That is elite.
Speaker 6: And I think we've talked about it on the show before. I talked about it whenever he had the sixty four yarder. There's other ways to get him involved. Got to get creative and getting him involved because he was not involved offensively in this game.
Speaker 2: Y one catch, one catch at all exactly. So find a way.
Speaker 9: He's a weapon, get the ball in his hands.
Speaker 2: He is a weapon. All right, Let's take our first break. When we come back.
Speaker 7: Man, we talked about the defensive side of the ball. I want to talk about Cooper Rush.
Speaker 6: Cooper Rush posted his highest QBR as a starter at one seventeen point six.
Speaker 13: What did he do right?
Speaker 6: What did he do differently from the Philly game and from the Houston game? Where it was two very different game plans. He finally found a middle ground and had some success against the Washington.
Speaker 2: Commanders more talking cowboys right after this.
Speaker 7: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee isle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 15: Tod thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per But the good news is Todd has at and T five g. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast, reliable, Secure five G.
Speaker 3: Requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. Seeatd dot com Slash five G for you forty deals.
Speaker 7: It's the official min's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans could get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece getting care set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash.
Speaker 2: Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 9: If you shout how about them cowboys?
Speaker 16: You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet. Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious, ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 9: The wins will be even taste here. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 2: To the Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 7: This portion of the show is brought to you by Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Quaker Oats trusted since eighteen seventy seven.
Speaker 2: Back with Patrick.
Speaker 6: Nosey Walkers, Tommy Rs Chris Beam in the back.
Speaker 2: I'm Kyle. You can make that sound too if you do.
Speaker 8: What.
Speaker 10: Buy your oats on the fridging Internet, dude, because there's a quick R code right over there that you use, and you can buy maple brown sugar, you can buy a plane, you can buy apple, cinnamon, apple cinnamon, Quaker Oats on the Internet.
Speaker 13: This side of the table, man, they're having a field day.
Speaker 2: They've been waiting for a win. I'm telling you, Tommy, this is your first win. Three Mondays, Mondays.
Speaker 13: The ours curses broken.
Speaker 2: It's broken. It's done. It non place anymore, you know. And you were there, you were in the building I was, what did you think.
Speaker 6: About your first uh road rivalry game, first off road division rivalry game, and then also first road win win period for the Cowboys.
Speaker 9: How about that press box?
Speaker 13: Huh, yeah, it's something.
Speaker 14: You know, this has all been so fun and that game specifically, I mean, that's that's the craziest game I've ever seen. Crazy has finished to a game. I think, you know, pretty pretty pretty easily. I know we were talking about Cooper Rush in this segment. I mean, you know, he's never gonna I don't think wow you with anything that he does. But he was so efficient yesterday, and I think Mike McCarthy is just looking for him to manage the game. Well yep, and sometimes you know that game manager label and a quarterback is you know some some take that as an insult. I don't see it that way, because when you manage the game that well as well as Cooper Rush has done, you win ball games. And that's what the Cowboys did. So I thought he was very, very efficient. I thought he was very efficient, really good against man cover yesterday, eight of eleven for one hundred and twenty nine yards in both of his touchdowns. So you can't ask for much more and now it's just a question of can you stack that?
Speaker 13: Can you stack that? Because he made some throws yesterday. We were like.
Speaker 14: It was in tight coverage a little bit there, but you know, he doesn't turn the ball over and I think that was the biggest thing.
Speaker 13: It's big for his confidence going forward.
Speaker 14: This offense, this offense is more confidence with builds more confidence with him after that going forward. Ceedee Lamb said that after the game yesterday, so you know, and going to CD two, you know, he leads the team in receiving yards. I think his biggest play was drawing that double team on the Screenmaker touchdown because he just came wide, like Luke Schoonmaker is never going to be that open again in his life, and he does all Cede Lamb drawing the second defender away. So kudos to CD and kudos to Cooper Rush for a really good performance.
Speaker 9: Now that they got the tape on lou Schoomaker, the tape is out.
Speaker 8: When it comes to Cooper Rush yesterday, first and foremost they protected him and again, like I said, brought Kauffman, Cooper BB and TJ. Besz step to step to the center of the stage because just Bravo, bravo. I will say I need Cooper BB and Cooper Rush. I need Cooper and Cooper to get on the same paids with these to those snaps, that's three fumbled snaps. Thankfully you didn't lose this one, but that's three fumbled snaps. The first two were on Cooper Rush. But that one from Cooper BB that almost went over his head, So good job I got that down, killed that drift.
Speaker 4: But what did Cooper Rush do Differently?
Speaker 8: He got protection, so he had time back there, he was able to go through his reads. But more importantly, or say equally as important, is what do we talk about Cole and Josh. We talked about air yards right going into this game. Cooper Rush was O for nine and passes of twenty yards or greater. He was not pushing the issue.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 8: It was also tied to the fact he didn't have protection. Sure, but in times where he did have protection, he was still checking it down and even when not going to the line of game, throwing too far short of the chain, so forth and so on. We didn't see that as much yesterday, particularly in the fourth quarter when the third quarter actually went and they really started to kind of come along two for two. He had two shots of beyond twenty yards completed, both of those completion percentage above expectation almost sixty percent.
Speaker 4: On those two throws. Fan freakingantastic.
Speaker 8: So, now, if you're talking about an offense that protects Cooper Rush and gives him an opportunity to look downfield and receivers who are going to make those throws outside of the city, make those catches outside of the CD lamb. Now you're cooking with something also mixing in Rico o'dowdo being that stabilizing force.
Speaker 14: Just very quickly, you see what happens for an offense when your offensive line plays well?
Speaker 4: Who knew?
Speaker 10: Who?
Speaker 14: You see what happens when wait, I have only said a million times that who knew? Games are one in the trenches. Do you see what happens when your offensive plays well?
Speaker 13: All right, I'll say, Josh.
Speaker 9: Go ahead, come down to Nate. That's not a not at all, not at all. No, you love to see it from Cooper Rush.
Speaker 10: You love to see, like you said that the snap that killed that and those unfortunate because the drive was rule. But like you saw a lot of what we've seen before, even in the losses where it's like you're getting down the field, you get in the ren zone and then it just it goes away, right especially in the first half, you saw that a bit. The blocked field goal right off the snap. To me, that was like, oh, this is the earliest indication of a loss that I've seen this year. I was like, we're gonna lose because of that right there. The fact that you were able to come back from that, You were able to come back from Ricodoubtle fumbling right into Bobby Wagner's arms, which was a crazy play.
Speaker 9: Bobby Wagner still has it.
Speaker 6: Not only the blocked field goal too, but a blocked punt as well.
Speaker 10: Blocked punt and then a miss missfield goal on top of that. One of the craziest special team games I've ever seen in my life. So you saw a lot of those miscues that have killed us over the last five weeks, and you could they kind of reared their head again. But you did see a defense that did not quit, like, no matter how poorly the offense was looking throughout the entire game up until the yeah, the third quarter, you saw defense. I was like, we don't care. Yeah, like we're not gonna relentless is what I saw from the defense. I know we weren't necessarily getting into defense quite yet, but man, it was just a site to behold.
Speaker 2: It really won't get into defense if you want to. I mean, because it was good enough to win you the game. And yeah, we've talked about that the last few weeks.
Speaker 6: Philadelphia, Houston, both of those teams. Both of those games, Dallas was down by a possession going into halftime.
Speaker 2: The defense kept it close.
Speaker 6: Enough for your offense in the third quarter to give you some sort of hope, and that hope was not there destroyed and you actually didn't end up scoring in either one of those halfs. So with all that being said, you needed both units to step up. Of course, you needed special teams at the end with Cavante Turpin, you needed all of it. All three units were crucial to winning this football game. But it started with the defense, and there were for sure. Absolutely give credit to Mike Zimmer because Mike Zimmer, we've given a lot of flak to him.
Speaker 7: We've given a lot of flak to some of the guys who stepped up in a big way quietly over these last couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Mozzie Smith's been pretty good up front.
Speaker 8: Yeah, quietly, his name was spoken in the press box a couple of times, a couple of vacasions.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's just the division. Maybe he only plays well against the division. Who knows, But I mean that's six games out of the year. Sounds good.
Speaker 6: The defensive game plan for the third straight week worked.
Speaker 2: And I'm gonna I'm gonna qualify it by this.
Speaker 6: The game plan that's scripted early on and how you got to shut teams down.
Speaker 2: That's usually the first quarter and maybe a little bit into the second quarter.
Speaker 6: Three halves, three first halves in a row, Philly, Houston, and now Washington. Your defense is played well, if not good, And I thought they played really, really well against Washington. This was a step above those last two games, and they held it for longirth.
Speaker 7: Now Mike had talked about it that fourth quarter's got to be better. You got to close better from a defensive standpoint, but it wasn't or the lack of an effort and lack of a game plan. They shut down Jaden Daniels, who was on our offensive Rookie of the Year sort of pay pace, and then you shut down Brian Robinson junior.
Speaker 6: I know he got hurt early, but there was no Austin Eckler. He was in active for the most part. That was a huge way to keep them bottled up until the fourth quarter.
Speaker 2: And I think it was a game changer of how this football game was played.
Speaker 14: When you look at going back to your point on Mazie, I think the most impressive part for me was, you know, he had nineteen run snaps, three tackles when he was on the field. Washington was averaging four yards of carry when he was off eleven and a half. Wow yards for Kerry, So he made an impact in the run game. That was the best number on the team. That's the lowest number for anybody who played more than ten snaps in run defense. So you tip your cap to Mazzie Smith this week.
Speaker 13: There you go.
Speaker 2: It might be right, which means I.
Speaker 13: Think this will be. This was one of, if not Eric Kendricks's best game. Cowboy love it.
Speaker 14: He was every where Cleveland game though, I said one of if not, Yeah, I'm protecting myself there.
Speaker 2: He wasn't here for that.
Speaker 14: Yeah, tied for the tie for the lead in run tackles.
Speaker 13: He had six. That fumble recovery was huge.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 13: You know he if he gets.
Speaker 14: It going and he's running around the field and he's himself, then this defense is really good against the run. You've got Marshawn neelan back who prides himself on being a good run defender, played well in his first game back yesterday.
Speaker 2: STAPs did he go yesterday?
Speaker 13: Run snaps?
Speaker 14: He had eight yards per play when he was on the field four point one off six point six bad so. And if we're if we're looking at that stat, Malik Hooker, get this four run tackles on twenty four run snaps when he's on the field, five point one yards per play when he was off twenty three.
Speaker 13: League Hooker is basically your run defense.
Speaker 2: That's that's basically your safety is what it is. I mean, I think the safe I think.
Speaker 14: That might have been just literally one play when he wasn't on the field and it was a twenty three yard carry.
Speaker 6: Okay, that would be I was gonna say, maybe he wasn't on the field for the for the Terry.
Speaker 2: McLaurin touchdown the eighty six yards and maybe that had the average blown out play.
Speaker 14: So it might have been that Daniel scramble. I think maybe maybe, I don't know, but nonetheless a very good game for this run defense. We talked about Josh Butler just having an absolutely incredible performance. Uh, you know, Terry McLaurin was taken out of the game half of the time because Deron Bland was over there, even in a limited snap count.
Speaker 13: So you gotta tip your hat to Mike sad Now.
Speaker 8: I also had real quick and I'll tossing to Josh. You mentioned Marshawn Knielan. I'd be remiss if I didn't speak on Marshawn Knelan's impact that didn't hit the statuet, because there are several times. One in particular, so the sack that was attributed to Michael Parsons when he chased Jayson Daniels out of bounds before the line of screams. First of all, Michael's moltor michaelh did not give both nuts right. He was blocked up and then he got off the block and there's Jaydon Daniels running. Michael could have pulled up and say, you know what, I can't.
Speaker 4: Get to that guy.
Speaker 2: We've seen it before.
Speaker 8: Golden looked at that play. It's the third possession for the Commanders. What's happening there is Jaydon Daniels is about to take off a run off the edge because Marshawn Kneeling is supposedly blocked up. Marshawn sheds his block, gets off of him, forces Jaydon Daniels to rethink it and go wider outside. That gives Micah Time, who didn't give up on the play, to then change his pursuit angle and chase him down and get that eventual sack by getting.
Speaker 4: Him out of bounds before the line is cleaned out.
Speaker 8: Marshawn Kneeling the stats bear out that he impacted the game, but even when there are no stats attributed to what he did on particular play, he was doing some damage.
Speaker 4: So good good job by the.
Speaker 10: Road two points. Michaeh Parsons said earlier last week. He said it on his podcast, and I know we've given a lot, given him a lot of fighting.
Speaker 2: I don't think we were as bad as definitely not show.
Speaker 10: I mean, he has his podcast, that's honestly, that's his do what you don't care. One of the things that he said though on his podcast is that like by the end of this year, we're gonna say, wow, down really pulled together that defense, Like they actually have a really good defense. You're starting to see the fruits of that labor come through. Like you're starting to see that. I mean, like, even back to the last few losses, you've seen the defense step up in a lot of ways. With Micah back on the field, and he was saying yesterday and his availability after the game, is that we're not going to quit. This is We're not a tank type of team like that. It's not going to happen as long as I'm on the field. We're not slowing down for anybody. I don't care about draft picks so like, and that's not verbatim, but I just mean, like, the the idea is there. I love the mentality that he has going into this season, as bad as it has looked now, the fact that he's not giving up, the fact that the defense is not going to give up. I think you're going to see a good defense by the end of the season. Because it's you're starting to see it now.
Speaker 4: It's happening right now.
Speaker 9: It took a while to.
Speaker 10: Get there, but like it's been pretty consistent over the last few games. Granted they have a really bad, like points points allowed for average, But I think that's been because still ways they were getting absolutely killed by some of the best offenses in the league.
Speaker 6: No, you've settled down on that side of the ball, and this was the first game that you've kind of settled down on the offensive side as well. Yeah, it was kind of the first game you were able to put it together really since the Pittsburgh game, and even the Pittsburgh game I feel like was more defensive heavy than it was offensive heavy. Yeah, you ran the football and you were able to take time of possession.
Speaker 2: That was great.
Speaker 6: You were able to do that in this game to thirty five minutes a time of possession was significant. You established the run and you didn't go away from it. You didn't throw the ball fifty five times with Cooper Rush. It was the balanced attack that we've been waiting for, and it kind of settled things in it and it was good one steat.
Speaker 8: Speaking to the defense, that is absolutely going to floor everybody who's listing floral voice, Right, Laura, what is one of the main issues what has been the Achilles heel of boys not just run.
Speaker 4: Defense, miss tackles, which needs to their inability that.
Speaker 8: Had a great tackling game yesterday, you know, I mean they missed yesterday for two.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's really good.
Speaker 8: Only two miss tackles over the course of sixty minutes of Cowboys football.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's the detailed shutage.
Speaker 13: Ordan, that's I think that's what wins you this game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tackling, that's what complete game. Yeah, that's a big one because if that numbers ten.
Speaker 4: Oh you're doing different, You're done. I don't know. Ye all right, but instead it's mustard.
Speaker 2: It is it is mustard. You know what hasn't been here we go.
Speaker 6: This is a little dusty, guys, a little dusty.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: The smelly sticker helmet that we have, I mean, we've loaded this helmet up the.
Speaker 2: Last couple of years. We've had twelve plus wins with this helmet the last couple of years.
Speaker 6: Probably not actually factually not going to get the twelve wins this year. However, it's good to see this buddy again. We've got some smelly stickers. We will have our players of the game when we come back after the break, we're breaking out the smelly stickers. We got to explain it to Tommy. He's looking at me like I'm raise when we'd come back right after this here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 15: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure.
Speaker 3: Five G requires campatble plan and device five G may not be available in your areas. See add dot com slash five G FORU fifty deals.
Speaker 12: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agon Turf Equipment supplier of the Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 11: Hey, y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramp and cold. That's where Yetie's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yettie Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yetti dot com. Check it out today. YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: And we're going to overtime.
Speaker 2: Erica, how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 17: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial Assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com. Slash ericup by your side. Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses me. Very digital tools feature required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Englis language. You chap maybe recorded in Dard forqality, sertance, message, dat ras and additional terms. We apply thank of America and a number FDIC.
Speaker 2: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Back here on Talking Cowboys, this segment of the show is brought to you by in Fizzile Line, the official Smile of the Dallas Cowboys. Back alongside Tommy Yarsh, Josh Rodriguez, Patrick Noci Walker, Chris Beam in the back on Kyle Yeomans. It is time for our smelly sticker segment, the Scratch and Sniffs. This is a tradition going all the way back to twenty twenty with Talking Cowboys, and we've had some great wins with the team, and every time the team wins, we give out our players of the game, and instead of giving out helmet stickers like Ohio State or some of these other schools that do the helmet stickers, we give out scratching sniff stickers. Like you get a gold star at the end of the days in grade school. That's what we're giving out. So when we do this, we have to relate it to the smelly sticker. You have to relate it to it. So I'll start things off. I've got a peach here. I've got a peach, and he looks like he's a bashful peach.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh, did I do that?
Speaker 4: Did I do that?
Speaker 6: I'm gonna give this the brock Hoffman because he was the one that was like starting the fight, almost always starting the fight, but he was finishing the fight on the field in between the whistles as well. He came in filleding great at the guard spot, only allowed the one pressure and then after he decided to push and shove and maybe rile up some.
Speaker 2: Of the Washington commanders.
Speaker 4: He said, Hm, did I do that?
Speaker 2: That's the peach that we're given there.
Speaker 9: I like it all right, hand it over, yes, sir, all right.
Speaker 10: So this one I picked the the Homer Simpson donut.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 9: No, you know one of those guys.
Speaker 2: He's gonna be playing for us here in a couple of weeks Homer Simpson. Yeah, against the Bengals.
Speaker 9: Oh that's right. Yeah, we got the Simpsons game Monday, name Simpsons game.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 10: So the donut I'm gonna give to I don't know. I just feel like he likes sweets. Maybe I don't know.
Speaker 9: Possibly Michael John McCarthy because dude.
Speaker 2: Mendle name actually John.
Speaker 9: Yes, I looked it up to here. Interesting, okay, Michael John.
Speaker 10: Shouts to you, coach McCarthy, because not only did you have a great game plan, did you come in and the team embodied Mike McCarthy yesterday They did everything that he always talks about. It just felt like the team surrounded him. He deserves a game ball, in my opinion, he deserves a smelly sticker because he went out there and did it against his former defensive coordinator and put it on the table and made him look at it there.
Speaker 9: Michael McCarthy.
Speaker 2: Love it all right?
Speaker 4: All right? I'm going with an apple? Oh all right?
Speaker 8: Why because, as it typically goes, when you're a student in class and you're trying to impress the teacher and get into the good graces of the teacher, what do you do?
Speaker 4: You bring her an apple? Josh Butler brought Mike Zimmer and apple for class yesterday.
Speaker 8: Because this is a guy, and Josh Butler, here's a guy.
Speaker 2: Did you not listen to what I told you in the break Isaiah. Isaiah took Josh Butler.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, well you got it.
Speaker 2: It's a double smelly stickers.
Speaker 8: Class, all right. No, we love Isaiah really didn't. He's running around on scream. Well you took, you took the peach.
Speaker 4: I was going with the peach initially, to be fair, Patrick.
Speaker 9: Was listening to Kendrick Lamar during the break.
Speaker 8: He was squabble love all right, So Josh Butler, he came out. It's a guy that was elevated from the practice squad. You don't have Trayvon Diggs, Kayln Carson is made inactive Deron blands on the pitch count, so forth and so on. House the secondary going to perform. All Josh Butler did was strap around, absolutely strapped him. So, yeah, Josh Butler, he did it in coverage, He did it as a tackler, did it in all the ways. So he presented Mike Zimmer with an apple and he was.
Speaker 4: Teacher's pet yesterday.
Speaker 2: Do you know what the mime celebration is about? When he does the mime thing?
Speaker 9: No, doing that, he doesn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, after and then he I mean he gets the seat belt deaf.
Speaker 9: That's cold.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty sweet. That's cool.
Speaker 9: He's a terrifying He was.
Speaker 6: Curious if if we knew about that already he was worthy of a double smelly sticker because he.
Speaker 2: Had absolutely such a great game.
Speaker 13: Absolutely all right. So I've got a cupcake here.
Speaker 14: I'm gonna try to come up with something for this on the fly, got it?
Speaker 13: I think I've got it.
Speaker 14: You know, we talk about sweet, but I'm going to talk about icing on the cupcake, and I sing on the cupcake. I think goes to Rico Dowdle, because again, he doesn't wow you in the run game, but he gets you four and a half yards per care go ahead.
Speaker 17: God.
Speaker 13: And a half carry to get ready to go right.
Speaker 11: Thanks.
Speaker 14: He gets you four and a half yards per carry to keep the offense on.
Speaker 13: Schedule and open things up for goople of rush. So we give battle. Here's your cupcake, Cole.
Speaker 2: He just wanted to hear the song.
Speaker 9: Cup can't if you didn't know, they don't know.
Speaker 2: That, Yes, he does.
Speaker 4: You took the peach sticker from me? What you took? Yeah, I'm talking about the peach sticker.
Speaker 2: Make a difference.
Speaker 4: Fair play. You stole from me, I stole from Isaiah, must steal.
Speaker 6: From someone else society here, guys, it was fun breaking down a win.
Speaker 4: With you guys, while let's do this again.
Speaker 2: Huh, no doubt.
Speaker 13: I love.
Speaker 2: How about him? Like, yeah, three days days?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you got thay.
Speaker 14: You have a chance to get two wins in four days? How big is that?
Speaker 6: Cooper Rush talked about Yesterdavision wins exactly.
Speaker 2: He talked about it last night.
Speaker 6: He said, you got to get one to get the ball rolling, to get a streak started, you got to get one.
Speaker 2: He was like, but we also have a pretty good opportunity to.
Speaker 6: Get two real quick ones if we can go back to back the vision.
Speaker 2: And that's what they're trying to do. They're trying to hit a two ball here, knock it down.
Speaker 4: From the mid nowhere, hold the follow through.
Speaker 6: Got plenty of talking cowboys this week. Tommy will be back tomorrow breaking it down. It's a talking Tuesday. We are going to take your phone calls tomorrow as well. And then we've got an all encompassing Thanksgiving preview on Wednesday, all of it combined into one.
Speaker 9: A feast if you will.
Speaker 2: Knowledge that's both for offense and defense.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, making it happen, and you got to put the hit, all the Quaker roads in the building, all going to Josh and Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Glad you were with us here over the last forty five minutes.
Speaker 6: We appreciate you always listening and always sticking in Win or lose for the Dallas Cowboys, for Chris being in the bat, Tommy Arish, Josh Rodriguez, for Patrick No see walk around, Kyle Yoman saying so long from Talking Cowboys, We'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.