Speaker 1: That's all. That's okay, becaus no one here is.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to teen Beat, a podcast hosted by me Danielle Fischel, a former actress often mistaken for one of the Olsen twins, but never both at the same time. That would be insane, But right now I am a professional podcaster among many other things, and that means that every week I get to sit with interesting people who have done interesting things in hopes that learning about their childhoods, most likely less televised than mine, will help us understand who they've become today. I look at it like this, I gave you my childhood. It's time we hear yours. And this week I am so excited to talk to a powerhouse in the field of reality TV who first broke out in twenty thirteen as an original cast member on the cultural juggernaut vander Pump Rules. The New Orleans Natives stood out over the show's eight seasons for her quirky sense of humor and big sister vibes, bringing the audience along for the ride of twenty somethings highs and lows. As a result, she's allowed millions to witness her personal growth, transforming into a three time New York Times bestseller and always working entrepreneur, a mother of two, and now the star of her own show House of Stasse, trading in her co workers for family members and close friends. Debuting July twenty ninth on Freeform and then available to stream the next day on Hulu and Hulu on Disney Plus. She is impossible not to root for, and I, for one, have been sitting in the cheering section since the days of Cosmo Radio. Welcome to teen Beat, the descendant of a Swedish princess, Stussy Schroeder.
Speaker 3: I am dying got the Cosmo Radio reference.
Speaker 4: Can I just say this is a big deal for me because I feel like I'm healing a part of my inner child because I grew up on you like Joym's World was one of like my shows that was just like on rotation.
Speaker 3: That is a huge part of my childhood. So very exciting.
Speaker 2: I'm so happy to hear that.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I've been a fan of yours for a very long time, yes, even going all the way back to the Cosmo Radio days. And we will talk a little bit about that in a little bit. Rat. I am so happy that you're here hanging out with me today. We go back many many, many many boyfriends ago, and I am so proud of you and everything that you have accomplished.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: So you're originally from New Orleans, a city most known as a debaucherous vacation spot. So I wanted to know what was it like growing up in the big Easy.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 4: It's the most magical city to me in this country. It's like the closest thing you get to a European feeling.
Speaker 3: And I think that's also why I just like.
Speaker 4: Love spooky, haunted horror stuff so much, because it's just like so ingrained everywhere. The architecture, the stories, like the lore, just like they're everything. Like my sister is the exact same way. We both are really into like spooky things, and we attribute that to New Orleans. I just I couldn't be prouder to be from New Orleans and it's an incredible city.
Speaker 2: We got to visit it on the pod Meats World Live tour and it was so much fun and beautiful colors and like you said, the architecture, the food, the.
Speaker 3: Food, and like the music and this sounds.
Speaker 4: It's like every single one of your senses is just like popping off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you're New Orleans.
Speaker 4: I mean, the bars don't close, they're open twenty four to seven. And you know that might describe why, you know, my love wine and cocktails.
Speaker 3: I don't know, it's just like a part of It's.
Speaker 2: Just a part of who you are. Have you always gone by Stossi or did you ever go by your full name?
Speaker 1: Uh? So?
Speaker 4: My grandmother, who is no longer with us, she was my favorite person in the whole entire world.
Speaker 3: She when I was born, she was.
Speaker 4: Like Nostasia for this little baby Nostasia. I can't do that. She's just too little of a baby. I'm gonna call her Stasi And then it just stuck. So no, no one really. You know, my parents tried a few times. It's still on my driver's license because when I changed my last name to Clark, which also I don't recommend when you get married. It's a pain in the ass and it's so not worth it.
Speaker 2: It's the biggest pain in the butt I know.
Speaker 3: Don't do it.
Speaker 4: I thought about changing my name to Stasi Schroder Clark on my license, and I just like, I have an attachment to Nastasia.
Speaker 3: That I can't explain.
Speaker 4: It's not that anyone calls me that, but like, I just like need it's a part of me.
Speaker 2: Do you ever use it though to your advantage? Since obviously being Stasi Schroeder, everyone everyone knows that name, do you ever think, like I don't, I kind of want to be a little more anonymous. I'm going to use Nastasia now and see if that helps me skip uber Okay, great?
Speaker 4: Right, smart, and I get abers and lifts and things like that.
Speaker 3: I put in Nastasia for post me okay or things like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, good, see smart, there's a there's a benefit to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We have a son named Keaton and we have been calling him Kiki from the time he was little, and uh we have now because of Dancing with the Stars Danny and Pasha they have Nikita, who they also call Keiki. So after my Kiki boy Kiki met girl Kiki, he decided he no longer wanted to be a Kiki now he wants to be called kk.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: I'm like, okay, we call him either with it or KK.
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 3: Is that on one of your sons shares a birthday with me?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 2: Are you? June twenty fourth or August twenty ninety.
Speaker 3: I'm June June twenty fourth.
Speaker 4: It's your cancer, I am, although I identify more with my rising sign.
Speaker 3: Okay, what's your rising sign?
Speaker 2: Oh, Capricorn.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've never really felt like a cancer, but whenever I say that, people are like, that's such a cancer thing to say.
Speaker 2: And You're like, oh, okay, maybe I'm more like a cancer than I thought. Yeah, that's funny. I am a Taurus, but my rising sign is a Leo and.
Speaker 3: Ooh, I see that. I was gonna say, you're a showman.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: I do feel like it made sense once I figured out what a rising sign was, and then I was like, yeah, yeah, I mean I wish I could be like, no, that's not me, but that's me, darling. So I wanted to talk to you because one of the things I look up to you about is your fashion sense.
Speaker 3: Thank you, and I want to talk to.
Speaker 2: You about your fashion journey because I have always been like a real vintage shirt and sneakers girl, but recently I have gotten very into all kinds of fashion, and I've started even paying attention to runway shows. But I know fashion has for a long time if not always been one of your interests. What was young Stossey's wardrobe like and what are some of your iconic childhood or high school fits.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I have been drawing since I was like nine years old. I would go to school and I would draw paper cutouts with like different dresses and outfits, and I still have literally next to my bedside table. I think it's really important to keep things like this to remind yourself of like what your inner souls always wanted. I made these scrap books that I would I would get all these magazines starting from when it was like it says two thousand and two, so like I was fourteen years old and I started making these scrap books where I cut out all of these outfits of different celebrities and stuff that I loved or ads that I liked. And I have two of them that I made, you know, starting from when I was fourteen to win like a I was in college, and I keep them next to my bed to remind myself, like this is.
Speaker 3: What you love.
Speaker 4: You love clothes, you love just different aesthetics, different vibes, putting things to get different outfits together. I mean when I was younger I went through so many different phases. I followed the crowd a little bit when I was, you know, like a preteen, but then when I got into high school, I was like, yeah, I'm done doing that.
Speaker 3: And I looked to.
Speaker 4: Different actresses that I loved for inspiration, and I went through like a dark face. I was like really into I don't know, Ava Green and here Nightly and inteividually and I died black and I wanted to be like moody, edgy and all that, and so I kind of tried to dress like that. It didn't really be translate because I was going through awkward phases. Okay, you know, I look back on it, and I'm like, nice, try appreciate the effort.
Speaker 3: But that's kind of like who I was in high school.
Speaker 2: Okay, did you were you at all? Like was it goth or it was just edgy?
Speaker 4: It was I would it was like want to be goth. Like I brought ten cards to school. I didn't know how to do some I pretended and people would just like.
Speaker 2: And would you do readings?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I didn't know what I was doing.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable, that would great.
Speaker 3: I would bullshit my way through the whole entire thing.
Speaker 2: Do you know how many people are probably going through life with like, no, this is my life's path because I had a tarot reading as a kid, and they have no idea that you didn't know what you were doing. They like have taken it as gospel.
Speaker 3: Hilarious.
Speaker 2: What are your favorite brands now? Like, what is something you're always drooling over looking to buy? Researching? Is it bags? What's your go to?
Speaker 4: It's flats. It's flats, like That's where I spend most of my money. I'm not really out there buying designer clothes.
Speaker 3: I sick too, like.
Speaker 4: And you know, like as a mom, I you can't be like wearing like a new fancy outfit every day. So I have like different uniforms that I just alter with accessories. And so I'm not buying designer clothes.
Speaker 3: Like I will run, you.
Speaker 4: Know, borrow from style houses and stuff like that and use the styles for like red carpet events and parties, and I'll wear designer clothes then, but not.
Speaker 3: During my everyday life.
Speaker 4: I spend my money on designer shoes, shoes, not even designer handbags. Really, like I don't collect as much because I think they're so ridiculously outrageous.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah they are.
Speaker 4: I think like nine thousand dollars for a bag is just insane to me. So I get my fix by buying designer flats because I love a ballet flat, I love a loafer, I love a flat sandal. I'm just like anything that's like really cute and flat.
Speaker 2: I am into did you now? I don't think they made them flat, but maybe they did. Did they? Did Chanelle make the square toe in flats or were they just the slingbacks?
Speaker 4: So I do have a I have two pairs of Mary Jane Channell's square toes that I absolutely love it from last year, and I will run.
Speaker 3: I will wear those until they fall apart.
Speaker 4: I will be eighty nine and I'm gonna still keep getting them like resold.
Speaker 3: Yes, as you should, so cute.
Speaker 2: I've been desperate to get a pair of square toes, but I because I am only five to one. I've recently gotten back into heels. You was almost exclusively a flat person, and now I've gotten back into heels.
Speaker 3: I admire the hustle.
Speaker 4: Look we look better in heels, I feel better in heels, But I just can't stand being uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: I know, it really is pretty miserable.
Speaker 3: I just I can't take it. I'm just that's what COVID did to me. It's like we were indoors for too.
Speaker 4: Long that I was like ello, well wearing again only when absolutely necessary. But if you're looking for a good pair of square toe ballet five, I am Repeto ones.
Speaker 3: I just got the Repetto ones.
Speaker 4: They're not as expensive, but they're so well made, and they have like a two inch block heel and there's.
Speaker 2: Two Oh my gosh, Ripetto. I have never even heard of this brand information.
Speaker 4: G ballet flat brands like out of Paris or whatever.
Speaker 2: Like they're yes, oh, I will be researching that the minute we are done talking. Now I have to assume you were. Were you a bit of a theater kid? Were you in plays and musicals?
Speaker 3: Yes? I won most talented in my senior class.
Speaker 2: Really, that was yours. Yours is your your hype. It's so much more impressive than my mine was best hair.
Speaker 3: That's a great one.
Speaker 2: I mean it's great. I'm not gonna pooh poo it, but most talented. Tell me some of your roles. This is really your time to shine. Tell us about well the one that got me.
Speaker 3: That was playing Gypsy Roseleie in Gypsy. That was fun.
Speaker 2: That's so fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was the minstrel and what was that? Is that? The Mattress one the p and the Once upon a Mattress. Yeah. We did a showcase where I did all that jazz and a few other songs. I was in Into the Woods. I hate Into the Woods.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I've never seen it.
Speaker 4: It don't okay, I can't. I actually can't stand it. Really singing the whole like if you go and watch the movie, it's like singing the whole entire time just kind of like makes me feel uncomfortable to watch.
Speaker 3: To live say, it's just say I agree.
Speaker 2: I have a you know, I've said this before and it does. It does get me. A lot of people don't like it when I say it. I'm just going to say that I'm not I'm not a great musical lover.
Speaker 3: That's okay, It's not for everyone. I know everyone needs to like everything. I know.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you. That does make me feel better. Do you have any embarrassing stories from high school? I know you are very cool now.
Speaker 4: It wasn't no, but this is the thing I wasn't cool in high school. I was thinking, if it's so funny that you're asking about high school because I'm about to record with Taylor Strekker, who you are graduates?
Speaker 2: Who I was gonna talk to you about later.
Speaker 4: Yes, And I'm like planning what we're talking about today. And I just like saw a TikTok with We're a Lady talking about how gen Z has basically erased like the idea of the.
Speaker 3: Cool kid, and I'm like did. I was like, did we have cool kids in high school? Because I went to an all girls Catholic school.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so like there was no to me, there was no hierarchy of like who was cool and who wasn't. I didn't like really go to parties. I didn't like drink, I didn't like date, and I had just like my core group of like five best friends and we just like hung out with each other and what we wanted on the weekends. We didn't really care what anybody thought. We kind of just like we're a bit of like loaners like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I.
Speaker 4: Wasn't like really cool. I'm trying to think of like embarrassing memories. My senior year, there was a rumor that I had sex with my one of my teachers. What, I was a virgin, But I actually it's not that embarrassing. I felt really cool because I was a virgin.
Speaker 2: You were like, people think I've had sex.
Speaker 3: They think I'm a batty, they think I'm a baddy.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, that's crazy. Who do you think? Do you suspect who started that rumor?
Speaker 3: No, but I did think this teacher was really cute.
Speaker 2: You were like, I wish it was true.
Speaker 3: I wish it was true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh boy, was he a young teacher or was he Yes? Okay, I was a young teacher and you were a senior in high school, and you're like, I can't believe I've got this rep I know.
Speaker 4: It felt so cool because again, like I wasn't out partying and like doing things.
Speaker 3: I wasn't sneaking out of my house. I was straight a. I followed the rules. I like, you know, that's very much who I was.
Speaker 4: So I'm like, oh my god, this is maybe they can just I remember like thinking like maybe they can just like feel the chemistry if.
Speaker 2: Everyone can see what I'm feeling. Oh my gosh, I wonder if the fact that you weren't aware of there being a hierarchy, meant that you were the cool girl without knowing it. Like I wonder if we were to ask other people at your school if they would be like, oh, yeah, Stossie and her friends were the cool kids.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I've never really thought about it, you know, because the fact that you were like, I don't, I don't, I can't name the cool group. Maybe you just were the cool group, which is great because you were you got along with everybody, and you didn't. You weren't thinking about what other people were doing. You were just like hanging with your friends.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we just did thing. Oh my gosh, and yell ever thought about that before?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, you know what.
Speaker 4: My twentieth high school reunions coming up, and I'm like debating whether I can go or not.
Speaker 3: I'd love to ask some people.
Speaker 2: I think you should go. I think you should go and ask people be Like I was recently on a podcast, who would you say? You don't have to frame it like was like cool? Who would you say was cool? What was cool?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: Who do you remember thinking like, oh, man, if I if I were cool, I'd be like that person and see what you say because I wouldn't be surprised if it's like you and your friends.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, have you ever seen romy Michelle's high school?
Speaker 2: Yes, of course.
Speaker 4: I just rewatched that the other day and I was like, Hartford, I know you're not old enough, but we're gonna sit and watch it now.
Speaker 2: Hartford is your five year old daughter, right, yes, and you have two kids and a three year old boy.
Speaker 3: He's about to be three in September.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Do you notice a big differences between having a boy and having a girl.
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Why are they so different?
Speaker 4: They're so different and like this is the thing, like Hartford was like a difficult toddler.
Speaker 3: But nothing actually, like you know, prepares you for boy energy.
Speaker 4: I know, they just don't stop like everything like actually, like people do try and prepare you. They talk about how like boy are crazy. Boys are insaying boys are different, but like it really is true in my opinion, in.
Speaker 2: My experience, my experience, Yeah.
Speaker 3: They're just tornadoes.
Speaker 4: Like if it were up to Hartford, they would just sit and play together, love each other, take care of each other.
Speaker 3: But Messer's like, no, I'm here to shit up.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly, why I why would I sit in color. Oh I think not, Yes, yeah, my kids wake up. I've always described it as like six thirty in the morning, opening the door and my son. I'll never forget my son standing up in his crib and going I am and I was like, already, this is just from literally opened his eyeballs and was in Hulk character and then just go go, go, go, go, go go until they lay their head on the pillow, and then it's just like yeah, and that's the only it's the only piece you get.
Speaker 3: That's it. I have two boys, so it's just I know, what are their age differences?
Speaker 2: How old are My oldest just turned seven and my youngest is about to be five, so there's twenty six months between the two of them.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like Harford and Messer a little bit, a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, you know, yeah, I know what it's like. Well, you wasted no time as a teenager. You moved out to la at just eighteen years old to pursue a career in Hollywood. Did you know anyone out here? I feel like that could be such a scary choice.
Speaker 4: So I've always felt a connection to La because my grandparents had a home out here, and so we would take or my dad would take me and my brother out here every summer and I would experience life in Los Angeles. You know, so I felt like it was I was always been like tied to it, drawn to it. I had family out here so that I didn't feel completely alone.
Speaker 3: I was always going to end up here.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, so it just felt like a second home for you. Yeah, okay. Do you remember any weird moments in that first year in LA where you going to auditions, did you have a job, did you meet me weirdos?
Speaker 3: That could be a four day long podcast.
Speaker 4: I even remember the first day that I moved here was actually on my birthday, Okay, it was on my fourth It was my nineteenth birthday. It was the day that I moved here. And this is before like phones where you have like the map on your phone. I didn't have a map on like in my car, Like it was a physical map. And I was transferring to Loyola Marry Mountain. I started like summer school there, and I had to like print out.
Speaker 3: Map quest directions to Merrymount and then to Target.
Speaker 4: And I bought a boxed DVDs of Saved by the Bell because like that was one of my comfort shows also, and so I spent my eighteenth birthday alone in a dorm. It's like watching Saved by the Bell eating like your no pizza. So that was like the start of my journey here. But there were a trillion weird moments. I wouldn't even.
Speaker 3: Know how to narrow it down. Collyhood can be really weird.
Speaker 4: You need to have a strong sense of self to.
Speaker 3: Be able to get out of weird situations.
Speaker 4: You have to I think I I'm really lucky that I have like this weird intuition where like when I enter a room, if the vibes are off, you can find feeling it right away, and I'm leaving like I'm out. I don't care if I feel weird about something. I could just enter a room and feel like the vibes are off, I'm out. Yeah, you're like, Okay, I'm really lucky to like get myself out of weird situations.
Speaker 2: But like start place, it actually just is a weird place that I think. It's just yeah, it can be.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: Do you have a worst job that you remember, like like, oh, this, of all the jobs I've ever had, this is the worst.
Speaker 3: I mean, I was a Halloween costume model.
Speaker 2: That kind of sounds amazing. What did you not like it? I mean, of course you had to be sexy cats. Sexy cat I think.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was like a lot of like sexy stuff. And so I'm just like that wasn't the best. And it was like really weird the way that like they auditioned us, Like we had to drive to their house. And I'm gonna say, like, so I modeled for multiple Halloween costume companies, so like I'm not gonna say which one it is. Okay, we had to drive to their house and I probably found out about this on model.
Speaker 3: Mayhemm remember that? Yeah? Yes, embarrassing, Okay. I had to drive to their house and they wasn't it. They weren't.
Speaker 4: It's not like this like man and woman. They weren't even like in a dining room or a sitting area or a living room. I was instructed to go upstairs to.
Speaker 3: Their room and they weren't just laying in bed, just.
Speaker 4: Like they're fully clothed and all that stuff, right, laying in bed as of like that's like kind of where they hang out, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like, so like I'm not somebody who eats in my bed. I sleep and correct and watch TikTok in my bed. That's what I do. It's like they kind of lived.
Speaker 4: Out of their bedroom and I walked in and they were just like okay, like show me your like stomach in your boobs with your bathing suit on, and so I kind of just had to like lift up my shirt and they were like okay, great, we'll be in touch, and like that's how I got how you got the job. And I'm like, wow, that's strange.
Speaker 3: That was weird.
Speaker 2: That's a that's a weird job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a weird one.
Speaker 2: That is a weird one. I will say that when you first mentioned trying on, you know, modeling Halloween costumes, I did think, well, that's fun. After hearing the audition process.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think that's what made it weird. Like you're right, that's like, of.
Speaker 4: Course, trying on costumes and like doing different hair and makeup like that part of it does become fun. Yeah, It's just like there was like an undercurrent of weirdness no matter what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anytime someone asks you to come into their bedroom, you're like hmm okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, honestly, I'm gonna be so annoyed after this episode, I'm gonna be like, I'm gonna think of so many other jobs that were so much worse than that. I just like don't know why they're not popping up in my head right now.
Speaker 2: Don't worry about it. There's so many odd jobs, but that doesn't necessarily mean they were the worst. I think you picked a pretty good one because you're you just mentioned that you could walk into a room and feel the vibes were off, and I think that's the that came to your mind as your first worst job for a reason. Yeah, your reality TV career started much earlier than when you first met Lisa vander Pump. You were on The Amazing Race at just sixteen years old with your dad, your stepmom, and your younger brother. How did that happen?
Speaker 3: I think that's like really my origin story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, like you were born on that day that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like that's where it all began.
Speaker 4: So my dad was really obsessed with Survivor and The Amazing Race and he had been aud auditioning for the first Survivor and never got it.
Speaker 3: Would come close, but never got it.
Speaker 4: And then he saw after like one episode of the Amazing Race. They were doing a family audition and he was like took it as a sign from God and like made us all make an audition video like the old school way submit it. We got called. Then we went through all these.
Speaker 3: Rounds of auditions and.
Speaker 4: Stuff like that, and we finally made it on the show. We got like eliminated like in like episode I after like the fourth episode or something in New Orleans, which was so embarrassing.
Speaker 3: But that's when like, I guess I got the reality TV.
Speaker 4: But I don't know if it's even the bug because I felt like I never chased it. Like after that, I moved to la and the same people who cast me on The Amazing Race someone called me and was like, we also want you to do this reality show for the End Network called Queen Bees.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, sure, sum me up. What's it about.
Speaker 4: They're like, it's about like you know, the they worded it differently than when we got there. They were like, you know, it's like popular girls that like are gonna like hang out with each other and live in a house for like a month, and we were like I was like okay, And then I came to find out it was like the bitchy girls that need to be reformed.
Speaker 2: That's what's a beast for.
Speaker 3: Yes, and I still was even okay with it. I was like, I can make up stories.
Speaker 4: I like made up stories that I would like haze people in cemeteries, like I didn't do any of that, but I was like, I'll lean in, you know, for the sake of a show. And then after that, like Vanner Pumper was literally landed in my lap because I was actually just working at Sir restaurant, and then the producers came in there, like we want to do a show about you guys.
Speaker 3: So it was like destiny.
Speaker 2: It was just destiny. It was like once you, once you dipped your toe into reality TV, reality TV really sank its claws into you.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: I also truly love that there are there are so many people out there who wouldn't have to make up stories about them doing bad things. And you were literally like I was, I was really good. I was a really good girl, and i didn't never get in an any trouble, So I'm gonna have to make up stories.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you.
Speaker 2: Just leaned in. I love that. So did you ever have reservations about starring on reality TV with vander Pump like or was.
Speaker 4: Yeh yeah, because I had been just slowly eased into it.
Speaker 3: And I also think that that's what keeps me like.
Speaker 4: Normal right now, is that like I never had like overnight success. Right.
Speaker 3: So it's like, I we did.
Speaker 4: The Amazing Race, and I get like a little taste of like what fame is and what it means for people to know you or whisper about you or.
Speaker 3: Talk about you.
Speaker 4: Right, and then I, you know, did this like Queen Bee Show, and it's just like a little bit more you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean, And I'm like, oh, okay.
Speaker 4: And then but like I'm still like broke, like having to work, get a job, work at a restaurant all that. Like I'm still like staying stayed humble. And then we get Banner Pump Rolls and we never felt as a cast like we were successful, Like we never felt that way like it. I think like the first time that I felt like a successful person was like not until like season five, when I was like getting opportunities because of my podcast. Like I never felt like in the I think the whole cast would say the same thing, like we we didn't get really get paid a lot of money until or a decent amount until.
Speaker 3: Like season three, and even so.
Speaker 4: It wasn't like that much and so it was very slow and it was like niche, I don't really remember it like fully popping off.
Speaker 3: So like to this day, it's like, are we successful? Are we well know? We like don't we don't know?
Speaker 2: You definitely are? I mean, I understand how, you know, back in twenty twelve, it's a little it's a little before like the Bravo verse became what it is now. So I can see how there was like a slow building of calluses to what it meant to be a reality TV star because you had little tastes of it and it wasn't quite as mainstream as it is now. But I I mean, I think it is always It's one of my favorite things when big stars are interviewed on a red carpet, from Seth Rogan to Meryl Streep to Rihanna to Michelle Obama and they are all obsessed with Bravo and in a lot of cases, specifically vander Pump Rules, there are great red carpet videos of celebrities fangirling when they meet anyone from the shows. Have you had any like real surprising run ins with famous people who surprisingly know all about your personal life.
Speaker 3: Jennifer Lawrence was a big one that was so great.
Speaker 4: I remember remember she got my number from I had like Amy Schumer and Andy Cohen dming me and they can I have your number?
Speaker 3: Jennifer Lawrence wants it and I'm like what, And I remember I.
Speaker 4: Was watching it was like the final scene of a season of Game of Thrones rip.
Speaker 3: I know, yeah, I know. And I had like no makeup on.
Speaker 4: I was with bo at the time in my apartment and I had like rose, I was Rose shout out.
Speaker 3: My psoriasis was flaring. I looked like I'd just been like like I don't know, like hit by a bus. Like I was like, not cute.
Speaker 4: I saw that Jennifer Lawrence was facetiming me, and like I was like I have to answer, and so she right after they had DMed me this, she facetimed me.
Speaker 3: And that was just like a crazy awesome moment.
Speaker 2: What did she say? Did she just say I love you?
Speaker 1: I can't even.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I think it blacked out. I don't even remember what she said.
Speaker 4: But ever since then, she's always been really lovely. If I'd ever run into her and stuff like that. But I remember just being like, oh my god, she's seeing me at my absolute worst right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good one. When fans run up to me on the street and they have questions about a completely fictional character I played, that makes sense to me. But with you, they have to have full on opinions about your love life and your friends and associated drama and your actual existence. Does that ever make you feel kind of crazy that people just freely share their opinions on your real life.
Speaker 4: People have shared their opinions to my face less and less.
Speaker 3: It used to happen a lot more on Vanner pump roles.
Speaker 4: Okay, where I'd be like, okay, be like I think that you should give Jacks another shot, just like things like that.
Speaker 3: Oh thank you. So it used to be like that. Now people are.
Speaker 4: More so come up and they want to talk about my kids and my husband and they just like compliment, right, family and stuff like that. I think the most unnerving thing, really, though, is like when people come up and they've only seen like the first few seasons of Vanner Pumples, or they're just starting it.
Speaker 3: Or something, and they see me in person and.
Speaker 4: They think I'm this like tough girl bitch, right, and they like come up to me with the same energy and they're like, I'm a bitch too, and I'm like you and me like we're the same, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, I'm I'm so sorry to break this to you, like I'm thirty eight.
Speaker 4: Uh, I'm tired now, Like it's really it's not. I'm actually like really polite in person, Like I don't I'm not like bitchy to stranger. It's like I'm a raging, lunatic bitch when someone betrays me, right right, I mean that's when.
Speaker 3: That comes out. I'm not like that to just like people on the street. That's how I operate.
Speaker 4: But people want me to be tough when they meet me, and I feel like I kind of like let them down because I'm just like that sweetness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're like, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Can I give you a hug? Yes? I know.
Speaker 2: You hosted the Mormon Wives Season three reunion and I am sure you followed the situation around Taylor Frankie Paul and since you've been vocal about your own struggles when personal growth and how hard it is to sometimes live a normal life while surrounded by reality TV cameras. I just wanted to hear your take on where do you think she goes from here? What do you think the next step ish for her?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: God, I really do care about all of those girls a lot.
Speaker 4: I feel like I might have like big sister energy whenever, like they're in town, I see them, whenever I'm like near them, like we make it a point to have like lunch, dinner and hang out. I really care about them, which has made this very hard for me to stomach. Like the videos you know that we're out there and circulating really hurt to see. And so there's like a you know, the mom in me at first wants to just be like how could you? But then the human being in me is like, we don't know what drove her.
Speaker 3: To I don't know.
Speaker 2: We don't see them before.
Speaker 4: You don't see the before. And I think that's really important. I think that as long as you are breathing and living, you are able to change who you are and who you if who you are is not who you want to be at any moment in life.
Speaker 3: That is the beauty of living.
Speaker 4: Is that, like it is never too late to shift the narrative of your life to change the story the trajectory of your life, to change shift who.
Speaker 3: You are are.
Speaker 4: And I think that she has this opportunity, especially when you feel like you're at the lowest point in your life. That to me is a great gift, because the sky's the limit. You can be any when you want to be. When you're on top of the world, you're too scared to change yourself and you're not thinking of changing yourself or of being better because why you're getting everything you want.
Speaker 3: But like when you're.
Speaker 4: At the lowest place, you can make that decision to be better. I would love to see her just like take a break from social media and like heal herself and then in a year or two like come back and like really inspire the rest.
Speaker 3: Of the world. Like that's like what I want for Taylor.
Speaker 2: Frank you, Paul, I think that's so smart. The taking a break from social media is so important. I don't think when you're in it you realize how much of an impact it's having on your day to day decisions and even just your you're thinking, you know, you're so I I completely agree with you, and I hope she does that as well. I have a question that is very important. We are both ranch dressing aficionados experts, even we can both acknowledge that not all ranch is created equal.
Speaker 3: Absolutely not.
Speaker 2: I am absolutely no. What do you think makes a good ranch dressing?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 4: To me, it's just like the homemade packet, like you give you buy the ranch packet, the Hidden Valley still still Hidden Valley ranch packet and you make that with you know, sour creb and mayonnaise than milk, like the real way, and like that, you know, I like it to be. It's like a concert distancy because like the bottled Hidden Valley is not the same and doesn't even have safe flavor. It's actually kind of crazy. It is literally actual apples and oranges.
Speaker 3: You can compare the two. I don't know if it's it's the right consistency.
Speaker 4: It can't be too liquidy, it can't be too gelice, yes, gelatinous. It also has to have like the right amount of just like dill sting. I don't want a weak ranch. Nope, don't give me a flavorless ranch. But it's like when you know it, like when you find it, you.
Speaker 2: Know, oh yeah, I mean, for example, have you had the ranch dressing at Mel's Diner?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, absolutely, a great ranch.
Speaker 4: Nothing's better than like an iceberg salad with like cheddar cheese and like shredded garrets and some tomatoes and that ranch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that ranch perfect. Also, that's what that was my go to at soup Plantation. That just oh my gosh, you're missing out. Well, now you gotta go. Now, you gotta find a sweet tomatoes or sweet whatever. The the heck is this sweet tomato that's the sister sister property to sup Plantation. What's it called Easton? Is that right? Not sweet tomatoes? It is sweet tomatoes. Yeah, I know what I'm talking about. Look at me, second guessing myself. They have a great ranch as well. Also Red Robin has a wonderful ranch. Do we have those in La yet? Well in Northridge, there's one in Northridge. I can tell you all the locations. I'll send you.
Speaker 4: Mean chain restaurant most of the times out of ten will have the.
Speaker 2: Best ranches, correct and diners, diners chains, that's that's going to be the go to. Well, I'm glad we agree about this. So you are ramping back up now for a whole new era of stardom. House of Stassy debuts on freeform and then streams the following day on Hulu and Hulu on Disney Plus. Tell me why you wanted to do this show and start this journey all over again.
Speaker 3: Well, this has been a long ass journey.
Speaker 4: We started this like over three and a half years ago, before I even conceived my son.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I just, you know.
Speaker 4: Going back to the fact that, like I started being on reality TV when I was sixteen years old, It's always just felt like a part of me, Like I've spent longer on reality TV than off, and I wasn't like my story was never just going to like end at vander Pump Rules, like that was not going to just be like it.
Speaker 3: And then I'm I'm done.
Speaker 4: So I always knew that I wanted to just like do something else. But after I had kids, I was like, if I'm not the executive producer of it, yep, then no. So, like I knew that if I was ever going to do something, I would have to go and make it happen myself, because I never wanted to put myself or my family in a situation where like it's we have no control over anything.
Speaker 2: Right over how you're edited and made to look.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, and trust, like people are going to watch this and be like she let this all out there, Like I don't look great all the time on this show, but like I wanted to be able to control what people see in my children. Yeah, was it non negotiable? And I just think reality TV is fun. It's just like who I am. Yeah, and so I wanted to make it happen the way that I wanted to do it.
Speaker 2: That's so great. And your husband is on the show. What has that been like for you?
Speaker 3: Well, you know what. I didn't realize that he was going to take my advice just like so so well. Actually I'd been like.
Speaker 4: Preparing him, being like, what if you know, if we get greenlit and we do this show, you need to be completely honest. You need to share your feelings and your thoughts.
Speaker 3: You can't sweep things under the rug.
Speaker 4: You need to just like even if it's like about me, like we have to just like be completely truthful.
Speaker 3: And he really took it seriously.
Speaker 2: I was like, you were like, you don't have to be that.
Speaker 4: I don't have to.
Speaker 3: Well you have to, I know, I said too, but like you have to. You didn't know.
Speaker 2: This is the time you choose to listen to me.
Speaker 3: You could have told me this before we started shooting exactly.
Speaker 2: Oh. I love that. I love when they pick and choose the times to really take your advice to heart. You know, guys, I have so much more to talk to Stassy about. And so this Friday, we have a bonus episode with a former vander Pump star dropping on our dedicated teen Beat feed. All you have to do is search for teen Beat wherever you get your podcasts and subscribe. That way, you never miss another episode. We'll be talking about her runway debut for the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Show and her new show House of Stassy, which debuts July twenty ninth on free Form, then available to stream the following day on Hulu and Hulu on Disney Plus. Do not miss it, and please send us your embarrassing childhood stories. Trust me, it's a safe space. Just email us a one to two minute voice memo at teen beat pod at gmail dot com and maybe we'll play it on the show. Teenbeat is an iHeart podcast produced and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Executive producers Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor Tara Soudbach. The theme song is by Mark Coppus, Yes that Mark Cooppus. Follow us on Instagram at Teenbeatpod.