Speaker 1: Welcome in his verdict with Senator Ted Cruz Ben Ferguson with you as always, Senator. It was election day in some parts of America, but they were very significant, especially when it comes to control in the House and giving Trump a little bit of breathing room.
Speaker 2: Well, we had election day in Florida and Wisconsin. A ton of money was spent on it, and the end of the day, the results were three wins and a loss.
Speaker 3: We'll break it down.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about exactly what happened, the money that was spent, and what the consequences are. Secondly, we have now seen, as of yesterday, the longest filibuster in Senate history, and it was done by Corey Booker, Democrat from New Jersey, who spoke for twenty five hours and frustratingly, infuriatingly beat the record of yours truly at over twenty one hours. So we're going to break that down as well, and we're going to compare what core Booker was filibustering over to what I filibustered over in twenty thirteen.
Speaker 3: We'll discuss that as well.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you quickly about the International Fellowship of Christians and Jews. I had the honor of speaking at one of their religious gathering meetings where they had religious leaders from all over the world come together for a two day conference about protecting and standing with the people in Israel, and I came away more inspired than ever. And the work that they're doing in Israel is truly unbelievable. They are providing life saving care for people, and also they're providing things like bomb shelters. They're providing these armored ambulances, which are saving lies because they're able to go into areas where there a hostile environment and still be able to get the wounded out. That is exactly what they're doing with your donations. It's been more than a year of this war and terror and pain in Israel, and the need for security essentials is what they need right now the most. They have to prepare for the next attack wherever it comes from. And Israel, we all know, is surrounded by enemies on all sides. So if you want to stand with the people in Israel and you want to help provide those bomb shelters, those armored security vehicles, those armored ambulances, firefighting equipment, flack jackets and bulletproof vests, there's a lot of needs. Your donation will help ensure the people of Israel are safe and secure for the days to come, as threads of terrorism remain imminent all around them. How do you give a gift? Go to SUPPORTIFCJ dot org. That's support IFCJ dot org. That's one word, support if CJ dot org, and you are going to have a true impact for the people in Israel. You can call as well and give a donation at eight eight for eight eight IFCJ. That's eight eight eight for eight eight IFCJ, or support i FCJ dot org center before we start with all the politics. I got a great text message from someone today and it said, what the hell did Ted Cruz do to his beard? They didn't remember that it was April Fool's Day and you had a brilliant tweet that you put out with some nice chops like you sawed off a lot of your beard.
Speaker 3: Well I did.
Speaker 2: I had had some fun with with with April Fools, and so I tweeted today a very simple tweet that said Washington, DC can be a hairy place. But this morning's committee hearing reminded me just how important it is to cut waste, shave down our debt and trim down the size of our government. And then it was a picture of my face photoshopped. So the beard was magically gone, and instead I had a big ol' honk and el Chapo mustache, and I got to say, look, look, look as a Cuban American, I was pretty proud of the l Chappa mustache.
Speaker 3: I mean it kind of.
Speaker 1: It was believable. It was believable because my phone blew up, people saying did he do this? When did he do this? Why did he lose a beat? What happened? He lose his bracket?
Speaker 3: And I just.
Speaker 1: Kept responding with April one, April one, like get there faster, guys. Everybody apparently thought your bracket is a basketball guy sucked and it costs to your beard.
Speaker 2: It was, you know, I don't know. I just might do it tomorrow though, you never know. But it reminds me of when I first grew the beard, which was which was back I think twenty eighteen. You know, I grew the beard actually just for the hell of it. It was over Thanksgiving and on the holidays. I would never shave. That's something for years, would ever do. And I just came back from Thanksgiving and Monday morning, came into work in the Senate and just hadn't shaved and actually by my top political guy who you know very well, sent me this email that said worst decision ever.
Speaker 3: And that really pissed me off.
Speaker 2: I'm like, all right, screw you, I'm going to keep it and uh and I have, although I will say it was you're and my friend Betty Johnson came and wanted to record a video.
Speaker 3: Asked if I would do an instructional video.
Speaker 2: On how to grow I remember this, yeah, and I said sure, I said, come on in coming into my office, I sat at my desk. I said, all right, start start recording. And I said, everyone, this is an instructional video on how to grow a beard. And I reached in a drawer of my desk and I pulled out a razor and I said, this is a razor.
Speaker 3: Don't use it. And that was the end of the video.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was that simple. Well, I got in on the action because people laugh. They were like, how often do you and Cinder Cruz talk? And I'm like, during the day, he's pretty busy. We'll exchange of text here and there. But there's a there's a long delay when you're working. And so someone sent me, you know, your tweet. I'm laughing, I'm looking at it. And then I said, all right, I got a photoshop this. So we took your beard, threw it on my new headshot, and then I put out a tweet so I'll keep the salt and pepper alive for you. That also went viral. It was a fun day to mess with people, all right.
Speaker 2: But let's be clear. You did not take my beard and put it on you. You used a I to put a salt and pepper beard on you. Because the beard you put had way more salt than pepper. No, no, no, way more salt than pepper.
Speaker 1: You notice that, Because that was my little dig I was like, is he going to write back? That's too much gray. I was kind of wondering what I could get away with there. So I was told, and I'm quoting now Ferguson, if this is real, shave it off. Shave it off right now. You cannot handle the beard. So the people have spoken. I don't think I'm growing a beard anytime soon, that I can promise you.
Speaker 2: All right, So let's you know what you could carry off those asult patch I'm for a little soul patch on, Ben Ferguson.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine that in a rattail? Yeah, that's the end of my TV career, that's for sure. I did. By the way, you remember No Shave November? Do you remember that? I do? Yeah. So when that gosh it was I mean years ago, right when that thing happened and everybody was doing and I was like, I'll do it. Fine. So I at the time, I was fighting the comedies at CNN, and towards the end of November, I got a text I think it was from Aaron Burnett's executive producer, and I was supposed to be on her show and they said, we also are inquiring is the beard gone yet? Question Mark? So it it. It was pretty patchy. I couldn't sell it. It just didn't work. I'll have to I'll have to unearth that picture and I'll throw it up on X for people to see. But it was pretty real.
Speaker 2: Look but Ben, once you hit puberty, you'll do just fight on that front.
Speaker 1: Next time. I'm going all white Santa Beard when I copy years. That's gonna be my revenge here.
Speaker 3: All right. Sorry, let's talk elections.
Speaker 1: Election. We had election Day in America. And there's there's two headlines here. If you watched CNN tonight and I was watching the reaction, they're saying it's a total disaster for Republicans. They spent all this money on the Supreme Court election in Wisconsin. Trump was involved, Musk was involved, and this is just a referendum on Donald Trump after he's been in office for ninety days. That that is their narrative.
Speaker 3: So CNN doesn't like Trump.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, that's exactly I.
Speaker 3: Really I had not picked up on that.
Speaker 2: So that's that that you're really good at reading between the lines, and and you know, both of their viewers I think probably picked up on that as well. Look, no doubt the results tonight were mixed. You and I are recording this at is twelve fifteen in the morning, so so the results are still coming in and right now. There were two congressional seats on the ballot in Florida, and one was Mike Waltz's seat, who is now the National Secure the advisor for President Trump. The other is Matt Matt Gates's seat, who stepped down when Trump named him as Attorney General and then ultimately withdrew the nomination and both of them were incredibly tightly contested, and and in fact, the Democrats spent like crazy, and the result the Republicans won both of them. Now, they were pretty solidly Republican seats. But at the end of the day, Jimmy Patronis the Republican won with fifty six point nine percent to forty two point three percent, So that was a fifteen point victory. And Randy Fine, the Republican won with fifty six point seven percent to forty two point seven percent. And and so both of those we were sizeable victories. If you look at Randy Fine, he was literally outspent ten to one.
Speaker 3: I mean it was massive.
Speaker 2: I've been in races where I've been out spent three to one, but ten to one is a massive funding disadvantage.
Speaker 3: And and and so that victory is really significant.
Speaker 1: So you look at this, and let's talk about how important this was for Donald Trump's America's First agenda. There was a a razor thin majority in the House, and this gives a little bit of breathing room now for Donald Trump's agenda to have a chance to make it through. It's also gonna help Mike Johnson, I think significantly, not have to capitulate and pander to any Yahoo that wakes up and decides either A want to be famous or B want to throw something in with pork, or c just want to be a pain in his able ass. Now it's it gives him the ability, I think to actually be a better speaker. Is that you agree with that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? No, I think that's right.
Speaker 2: Look what we have had an excruciatingly small majority UH in the House. And and to be clear that that that is why President Trump withdrew the nomination of at least Stephonic to be h u N Ambassador because she had been nominated to be UN ambassador. But UH, if she was confirmed and she resigned, there'd be a vacancy in the New York Governor Kathy Hokeel was was threatening to basically play games and keep the seat vacant for the rest of the year, which would which which would have shrunk the majority by one uh. And and listen, special elections are always dangerous and always risky, Strange outcomes can occur. And and so the President at the end of the day, I think quite rightly decided that that risking the very narrow House majority was was was dangerous and and to a Lease's credit, I think at least would have done a terrific job as you had, ambassador. But but but I appreciate her her putting, putting the interest of the country ahead, and and and saying she was not going to risk the House majority. But the result as of as of today is the Republican majority has two more Republicans.
Speaker 1: In the House.
Speaker 2: And that will help, That will give the speed or some breathing room that that will that will help us extend the the Trump tax cuts, that will help us secure the border, that will help us win on victory after victory. So that was a very good result. And Florida, had those been losses, had even one of those been losses, it would have been it would have been a serious, uh serious setback.
Speaker 3: And and the media would have gone crazy.
Speaker 1: Well, and that goes back to the money game what you mentioned earlier. Democrats just decided we're going to just spend virtually every dollar we can get our hands on down there, throw jell at a wall, hope that something sticks, and maybe we flip with these seats, because like you said, if that happened, it could have been catastrophic for Donald Trump's agenda.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And look, that can make special elections very dangerous because often the party out of power is particularly energized. They're angry, their their their base is agitated, and and and so that they can be willing to pour a whole bunch of money into it. And and that is certainly happening now Wisconsin. Look, Wisconsin is a much more purple to blue state than Florida. Florida's gotten quite read Wisconsin, there were there were two major elections on the ballot, and and and we split. We won one and we lost one. So the one we won was was a constitutional amendment to put into the Wisconsin state constitution a voter ID requirement, requirement that you show photo ID to vote. Now, that is existing Wisconsin law, but that but that's just a statute. In other words, the next legislature could change that could get rid of voter ID. And that remains a major priority for Democrats across the country. In fact, in California, they've gone so far as to make it illegal to ask for Photo I D for voting, So they're they're actively and openly encouraging voter fraud in California by doing so. Well Wisconsin, the voters had on the ballot, should photo I D for voting be in the Wisconsin Constitution, and that one overwhelmingly. The vote was sixty three point two percent to thirty six point eight percent. So it was a massive, almost a thirty point victory. That's great. That is a terrific victory for election integrity. Wisconsin is a swing state and so voter fraud is is particularly dangerous in a swing state like Wisconsin.
Speaker 3: And so that's a great victory.
Speaker 1: So those are three big victories, extremely important, especially like you said, on the voter id that's going to give a signal to other states move forward on this. The American people want it, and we'll probably see a trend come out of that. That's good news obviously. So let's talk about the loss and the headline and all the media is liberal judge wins in Wisconsin. That's what they want you to know. They don't want you to know the GOP swept Florida. They don't want you to know that voter ideal law became a thing in a swing state. They're all obsessed now with quote liberal judge winning a lot of money in this race. President was involved, Musk was involved, so they're saying this is a referendum on Donald Trump. I think that's obviously going way too far. This is special election time. Everybody dialed down the crazy yet.
Speaker 2: Now, to be clear, on the photo ID law in Wisconsin, it wasn't that it became the law, because it is current law right now. What happened is it got added to the constitution. So now it is much much harder for Democrats to take it away. It's enshrined in the state constitution and so it would take a constitutional amendment to get rid of it. And so that's that's a major victory. But the loss, the loss was a real one, and it was an election for the Wisconsin Supreme Court. It was election between Susan Crawford, who is a liberal Democrat, and Brad Schimmel, who is a conservative. And the result at the end of the day was that was that the liberal won fifty four point four percent to forty five point six percent. So that was a nine point victory. That was a sizeable victory and the result of it is control of the Wisconsin Supreme Court. So the court was in the ballance. This was the swing seat. And I got to tell you, the money that was spent in this race. How much do you think was spent in Wisconsin.
Speaker 1: I'm going to guess tens of millions of dollars, knowing how important this was, at minimum.
Speaker 2: Ninety eight million dollars ninety eight million dollars on a judicial race in Wisconsin. Yahoo News is reporting that, according to the Brennan Center for Justice, more than fifty three point three million dollars was spent by Shimmel and his backers, including twelve point two million from Elon Musk's America Pack and Crawford's campaign and those backing her have spent an estimated forty five point one million dollars, so all told, ninety eight million dollars. That is, to the best of my knowledge. In fact, I was going to say that that's the most it's ever been spent on a judicial race, but if I read the next sentence on the article, it would say the spending has made the Wisconsin race the most expensive US judicial in US judicial history, which it clearly is. I don't know what's second, but it ain't even close. That's a massive amount of money. And listen, this is an unfortunate loss. There's going to be some bad rulings in Wisconsin, including potentially redistricting rulings that have political consequences in Wisconsin, and so it is unfortunate. I'm grateful Elon leaned in hard on this, but it's worth remembering Wisconsin is a purple state, and on election day in twenty four we had mixed outcomes in Wisconsin. Donald Trump won Wisconsin barely, but he won, but we lost the Senate seat. Tammy Baldwin, the incumbent Democrat Eric Hovedy, was challenging and he lost. Unfortunately, we didn't up the Senate seat. And right now, Wisconsin is one of the relatively few states that has a Republican senator and a Democrat senator.
Speaker 3: So it's split.
Speaker 2: You've got Ron Johnson, a Republican, a conservative, a good friend of mine, and you've got Tammy Baldwin, who is a liberal Democrat. And so in a purple state and a state that is evenly divided, you would expect that we win some races and we lose some races, and so all told, I'm really happy about the three victories, but I would have been happier with four victories.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you a quick moment and tell you about Patriot Mobile. You've heard me talk about Patriot Mobile for a while now, and you probably already know that. For years, they've stood in the gap for every American that believes that freedom is worth fighting for. They are the real deal. So let me ask you a question. Have you switched to Patriot Mobile yet? Now? If the answer is no, then I have to ask you why are you worried about coverage? Don't be. Patriot Mobile is one of the few cell phone providers that operates on all three of the major networks in this country. The fact is, if you have cell phone service in this country today, you can get exceptional or even better service with Patriot Mobile. And that's why they offer a coverage guarantee that others can't. Or maybe you haven't joined Patriot Mobile because you think making the switch is painful, Well I'm here to tell you it's not. In fact, it's easy. No need to spend hours in a retail store waiting your turn. Simply call Patriot Mobiles one hundred percent US based team from the comfort of your home or office and they'll have you activated in minutes. Still locked into a contract not a problem. Patriot Mobile's contract buy out program covers up to five hundred dollars per device. You get to keep your same number, keep your phone, or treat yourself to an upgrade. So back to the big point here, what are you waiting for? It's time to join Patriot Mobile. Today. You'll be supporting faith, family, and freedom with every call and every text you make because they gave about five percent of your bill every single month back to hardcore conservative and Christian causes. So don't wait. Do it today. Go to Patriot Mobile dot com slash verdict. That's Patriot Mobile dot com slash verdict or nine to seven to two Patriot, and again use the promo code verdict and get a free month of service. That's Patriot Mobile dot com slash verdict or nine seven to two Patriot. Call him today. All right, Senator, So let's move to another very interesting moment. One of your colleagues in the Senate decided he was going to take away your record on a filibuster. You guys were very different and why you were filibustering. But he did beat your record today and you even posted something that was hilarious online as well. Well.
Speaker 2: Corey Booker, Democrat from New Jersey, has now set the record for the longest speech in history on the Senate floor. And he spoke for twenty five hours and four minutes. And so it was, it was incredibly long. It it surpassed. The record had been held by by strom Thurman, who spoke for twenty four hours and eighteen minutes in nineteen fifty seven. And he was uh, he was filibustering strom Thurman was filibustering the nineteen fifty seven Civil Rights Act. And that that had been been the record until until last night, when when Corey Booker broke it.
Speaker 3: Now fourth all time, it is yours, truly.
Speaker 2: I used to be third all time, but but Corey knocked me down, and and so so my record in twenty thirteen, I spoke on the Senate floor for twenty one hours and nineteen minutes.
Speaker 3: Uh and and so Corey, Corey just beat me.
Speaker 2: I will I will say I tweeted out right before he broke my record, And so I took to Twitter and tweeted out, As Corey Booker approaches my twenty one hour filibuster record, I'm contemplating pulling the fire alarm hat tip Jamal Bowman, and I sent out a picture of Jamal and but Bowman, the Democrat congressman pulling the fire alarm in.
Speaker 3: The Capitol to avoid a vote.
Speaker 2: And I will say that that that that tweet went viral, and in fact, Corey ended up at the end of his his twenty five hour filibuster reading that tweet on the Senate floor, which which was.
Speaker 3: Which I enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: I actually like Corey and he and I are friends, and so I'm glad he read it. And I will say in my twenty thirteen filibuster, I read a number of tweets on the Senate floor, and I believe that was the first time in history a tweet had ever been read on the Senate floor, and I read a whole bunch of them. Now, there is a significant difference between what what what I was filibustering over and what Corey Booker was philibustering over. What I was philibustering over was Obamacare. And I was doing so because it was right when Obamacare was going into effect, and I was trying to stop it from going into effect because the American people it was having the effect of driving up premiums dramatically reducing choices. Barack Obama famously said, if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor, and millions of Americans discovered that was not the case, that was a lie. In fact, PolitiFact named Barack Obama's if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor, the lie of the year. And for them to admit a Democrat is lying is really quite remarkable, because PolitiFact lies for a living. And so that filibuster, when I did it in twenty thirteen, I was a brand new baby freshman, and it was the theme of the filibuster was make DC listen.
Speaker 3: And I will tell you it had.
Speaker 2: It had a significant effect, and in fact, it energized people across the country. And I'll point to what the effect was in twenty fourteen. The next year, we had an election and it was a tsunami election. Republicans ended up winning nine Senate seats, we retired Harry Reid as majority leader, and we ended up winning the biggest majority in the House of Representative since nineteen twenty eight. And if you look at exit polling in that twenty fourteen election, the number one issue in the country, according to the voters that were turning out in massive numbers, was Obamacare, and they were saying, finally, finally, you're fighting. Finally, Republicans are not rolling over and so that had I think a very significant effect on election day and helped win back both the Senate and House for Republicans. I don't think Corey Bookers is going to have that same effect. And in fact, listen, I don't know how many people watched it. I suspect that CNN and MSNBC was probably gushing about it, but I'll confess I didn't turn on see at aner MSNBC, so I.
Speaker 3: Don't know one where or the other.
Speaker 2: I don't particularly care the the the seven Rabbid partisans who watched those networks.
Speaker 3: Uh, probably were quite happy with it.
Speaker 2: But at the end of the day, look, what was Corey Booker talking about? As best I can tell, it was I hate Donald Trump. I'm a Democrat. Trump bad, Orange Man bad. I'm mad at the voters. Why did the voters elect Trump? Whye did the voters elector Republican Senate? Why did the voters elected Republican House? Gosh, I'm mad at the voters. Gosh, I hate Trump. I'm not sure there's anything new there. I'm not sure was there a person in America who was confused yesterday and didn't know that that that that saidate Democrats hate Donald Trump, like like, was there any new information in it? And and and and so I've got to say I'm skeptical, uh, that that it's going to have a meaningful impact. And I'll point out it's not just me who says said that. Take a listen to what Joe Biden's communications director, uh Kate Bettingfield said about Corey booker speech.
Speaker 4: The Democratic base and Democratic donors are looking for signs of life, and so I think what Senator Booker is giving them, here are some signs of life. Is it going to have a tangible impact on business? And the have a tangible impact on Booker. But if he won't have a tangible impact on business in Washington.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's CNN saying it, Senator. And look it was they change.
Speaker 3: And that's Biden's communications director.
Speaker 2: It's Biden's communication director, amazingly enough. And so so look, Corey, that's that that That's fine.
Speaker 3: Now now I will tell you.
Speaker 2: So it was funny as Booker was giving his his filibuster, reporters were all rotting up to be and then they all knew that that that he was he was aiming to beat my record. So they were asking me about it, and they said, did you have any advice?
Speaker 3: And I will.
Speaker 2: I will admit Corey didn't ask me for any advice. So now I did not give him any advice on this, but I did share a story. So when I did the filibuster in twenty thirteen, I had gotten some advice from Rand Paul. So Rand Paul had done a thirteen hour filibuster and I was planning to do mine, and and Rand I asked him, Hey, Rand, you got any advice because he'd just done thirteen hours, and he said, yeah, two things. He said, Number one, wear comfortable shoes, because he said, your feet and your legs will be killing you. And I will confess I as you know, every day in the Senate, I wear black cowboy boots. The boots I wear alligator boots and they have the Senate seal on the front and on the back of it they have the come and Take It flag. And so that's that's my standard foot wear in the Senate. But for the filibuster, I went to the store and I bought some some black tennis shoes and in the middle of the filibuster, at like two or three in the morning, I confess to the people of Texas. I said, look, I have to I just have to apologize to the people of Texas. I'm sorry I didn't have the courage of my convictions to wear my boots. I weened out and got black tennis shoes. But but I was planning on standing here for a really long time, and so I will admit the tennis shoes are are are are more comfortable for the marathon time. The second bit of advice ran game.
Speaker 1: I got to ask you, Yeah, I got to ask you though, when you were picking out the tennis shoes. Did you buy brand new or did you wear them a little bit beforehand?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I didn't break them in and they were fine, and I don't think I've ever worn them since then. Like I literally they wore them for the filibuster and that was it. But but fortunately, even though they were new, they were they were pretty comfortable. They were not bad at all. The second bit of advice Rand gave me was was, if anything even more important. He said, drink very little water. And in fact, Rand said when he ended at thirteen hours, he said, my legs didn't take me. It didn't make me give in my bladder did And and the most common question that that that that I would get about the filibuster is, okay, what what do you do about going to the bathroom? And and the real simple answer is you don't. So the rules of a filibuster, uh, you have to stand, you cannot sit, and you have to stay on the Senate floor. If if you sit or if you leave the Senate floor, you relinquish the floor, and and and so, and that's why that's why comfortable shoes matter, because you're not allowed you're technically not even allowed to lean on the desk, although that that rule is not not heavily enforced.
Speaker 3: You you can lean a little bit, but you can't. Uh. But but you can't can't sit.
Speaker 2: And and legend has it that during strong thermons uh filibuster, that that that he had an aid hold a bucket in in in in the Senate cloak room, and and and and he he took a leak while filibustering while standing on the Senate floor. I figured, in the in the era of c Span that probably wasn't the best idea.
Speaker 3: So I was not going to do that.
Speaker 2: And so for the entire course of twenty one plus hours, I drank one tiny little glass of water and that's all. I basically would take a little sip just to just to moisten my throat. And I got to say, look, I've never gone twenty one hours without going to the bathroom. And and you know, I discovered a very simple principle, which is nothing in, nothing out. And so it was it was fine, But that was excellent advice.
Speaker 1: When does your mind start to wander? I mean, at what point do you feel like you're getting a little bit you know, delusion alway is the best word I can use. There's got to be a certain point where you're sitting there going you know, it's like when you do an all nighter in college, you kind of slap yourself on the face. You're like, Carl, I got to wake up, walk around the room, and sit back down. When does that fatigue hit?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't too bad. I mean it was Look, it was energized. And I was I was telling us a story. I was talking about the very real people being harmed by Obamacare, and I was telling people's stories, and I was laying out facts and figures and data and and and so I had a lot of material that I was presenting. As I mentioned, I read tweets about the harms from Obamacare, and we started the hashtag make DC Listen, which which went viral during the filibuster.
Speaker 3: And and and.
Speaker 2: So it really was I look just like we're doing in in this podcast. It was an effort to communicate with the American people. But it now we also had some fun. So the rules do allow you to yield to another senator for a question, and and and so you can yield for a question without yielding the floor. And so what happens during a long filibuster is that people will come and support you. And so I had multiple senators come and support me, and they would Mike Lee did did the most heroic. He was there for a great deal of the filibuster. And and what what you could do is he would stand as I'm up there, and he'd say, with the senator, yield for a question, and I'd respond, I'm happy to yield for a question without yielding the floor. And then Mike could ask a thirty or forty five minute question and and and you know, basically give a speech and then at the end of it say don't you agree, And so it would let you rest your voice, because if you speak, you know, I know you do radio for a living, but if you speak twenty one hours without pausing, your your vocal cords will be pretty ragged.
Speaker 3: So it was helpful to have folks go and spell you for a little while.
Speaker 2: And I will say, you know, at like three and four in the morning, Mike was there, and he gets really punch struck when he's tired, and so we were. He was reading like like bad jokes and seventies rock lyrics. And look, one of the things people remember from my filibuster it is that I read Green Eggs and Ham on the setate floor. Now what a lot of people don't know is is why I read green eggs and Ham. Do you know why your daughter's yes? So look at the time, my girls were worth three and five and and when I was home every night, I would read them a bedtime story, which which you know, I'm sure you you do with your kids too, but that that that was my practice when they were little, and and so it was their bedtime, and so we called home and told them turn on the TV. And so I read green Eggs and Ham and and there is a picture in my office which you've seen, and it's both girls. They're in matching pajamas. And Catherine was three years old and she has her little hand on the TV and and and she she's touching it and and and she's just sort of watching in wonderment. Her daddy read her Green Eggs and ham on TV. And and Caroline, who was five, is just crack king up, laughing. I love the picture because she's just like laughing hysterically. And look, Caroline can can be cynical with her dad. Not a whole lot I've done in the Senate as impressed her. And she she when I came home, she was five, and she had her arms crossed and she.
Speaker 3: Was like, okay, Dad, that was pretty cool.
Speaker 2: And I was like, all right, I was psyched that that that that the Bedtime Story had earned some brownie points with the girls at home.
Speaker 1: All right. So final question on this, and this is I'm sure something that was going through your mind, Corey Booker's mind. When did you know you were just gonna end it? How do you decide Are you looking at a certain time in your mind where you're like, I gotta make it to X and then as soon as it hits I'm done. What is the process of that as well?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: Actually I could have gone longer. And the problem was, and in order to do the filibuster, A pure philibus is when the Senate floor is wide open and you take control of the filibuster, and it is the prerogative of every senator have unlimited debate, and so if you take control of the floor, you can hold it for as long as you are able to hold it. When I started the filibuster, unfortunately Harry Reid, then the majority leader the Democrats were in charge, had locked in a unanimous consent resolution that the next day there was a vote scheduled I think at noon, and it was locked in, which meant I had an endpoint. I had an endpoint that was a wall because that unanimous consent had been locked in, and so it trumps is it's.
Speaker 3: Effectively a Senate rule.
Speaker 2: And so when I was north of twenty one hours, I had plenty of strength. I could have kept going, and I really wanted to break strom Thurman's record, and I actually sent one of my staffers to ask Harry Reid if he would consent. I I could have asked unanimous consent, uh to be allowed to complete my speech and and and if read it aloud and I would have been able to So I asked my staffer, I'm like, look, do you really want the record for the longest filibuster to be to be held by by a segregationist who was who was filibustering against the civil rights laws?
Speaker 3: Like like, like, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I'd really love to break it. And and Harry Reid, bearing being Harry Reid, he just said no, and and so I was forced to end. When when when I did, Uh, Corey Booker that there was not a unanimous consent in place, locking up the time, and so Corey was able to go long enough as long as he wanted and and and then and he was able to break the record.
Speaker 1: Don't forget We do this show Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Hit that subscriber auto download button, UH, and make sure you tell again your family and friends about this show as it continues to grow and hopefully make a difference. UH, and educate a lot of people what's going on in Washington. Grab my show on those in between days, the Ben Ferguson Podcast. I'll keep you update on the latest breaking news on those days and the Center and I will see you back here on Friday morning.