Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Hour two of The Dan Patrick Show on a simply Irresistible Friday. What is it? Simply irresistible Friday? I've had an earworm in my life going on for three decades as the song simply Irresistible? And what is it? It means? There's no telling where the money went?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 2: That's what it means. I don't know what it means. But it is a meet Friday and we're gonna be carving that up in a little bit later hour three. Right now, hour two, Cordy Cronin be on the program and a little bit to talk Chicago Bears and the NFL, which is exciting because the Bears were part of a rumor that was one million percent unfounded this week. But I want to have her laugh on camera for me at the idea that they may had been given a new name for a brief, short period of time. And we're about to unpack the Jade and Daniels story as well. It's a day two Jade and Daniels story with our guests. And he's right there right now, so let's bring him in. Why not John Blow here, sit down, LSU football reporter for The Advocate in Times. Pick a Youwn John. My name is Anthony Joseph Paul Reality and it's great to meet you.
Speaker 3: It's great to meet here too, Tony John.
Speaker 2: Please talk to me like I am a ten year old or a golden retriever. Okay, like I don't know anything. Take me back to how this started, this kerfuffle over the number five and this relationship Jadeen Daniels and LSU going sour.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So DJ Pickett, who's a sophomore cornerback, has Warren number five his entire life, going back to being four years old, and supposedly Brian Kelly promised him while he was being recruited that he could have number five. Obviously, number five very important LSU because Jadeen Daniels wore that number in twenty twenty three when he won the Heisman. Daniels apparently found out his team found out the DJ Pickett wanted this number. I think Wayne Kippet had made contact with all the representatives to let them know, and Jayden was not happy about that. And obviously there now has been the cease and desist letter that Jayden's attorney sent to LSU saying no longer use my name, image likeness please, and so dj Piggott, I mean he's still wearing the number. Lane's not saying a whole lot other than again, it was a promise made by the previous staff and so we're gonna let the kid wear the number.
Speaker 2: So Kiffin did reach out to Daniels beforehand.
Speaker 3: That's what that's the impression I'm under, yes, is there was contact, and so Jayden was aware this was happening, has been bruined for a little bit, and then obviously it led to the letter from his lawyer.
Speaker 2: How does it go from bother to cease and desist letter and the sprinkling of lawsuit in here.
Speaker 3: I don't know, that's an interesting question. I mean, obviously all of us are watching this as observers and saying this seems a little drastic. Maybe this isn't you know, a great look for a former Heisman winner to kind of have be in a dispute with their with their school, and and that's at the school couldn't resolve this without it getting to this point. It's kind of on a lot of people's faces right now. So that is a good question. I don't know how we get from you know, obviously there's upset and the camp, the Jane Daniels camp is upset to obviously this this letter being made public, and obviously there was a statement from the ESPN report that kind of came along with it that hey, we're extremely disappointed and feel disrespected and all that stuff. So yeah, it's uh, it's a little confounding how we got to this point.
Speaker 2: I would say, how did Lane Kiffin respond yesterday?
Speaker 3: So we asked him if you had any comment. All he did was refer back to his previous statement, which is that again, Brian Kelly, previous staff promised it to him that he was just gonna follow through with that promise, and he wasn't adding anything more, we're moving on. It's what he's I even specifically asked them because there's a lot of wonderment out there. The number nine is not officially retired, but no, he's more number nine since show Burrow. Like, if you, as the coach were to have a player come to you and say can I have number nine? What would your thought process being? Obviously, because he's referring back to the previous staff on this issue, so then he didn't he said, hey, there's a lot of hypotheticals. I'm not going to get into that, and that's it. So he really didn't want to address the issue much at all.
Speaker 2: Any Further, every team has its standard practice, the letter of the law, if it is in fact a law for this is jerseys can be retired or current jerseys cannot be retired. This is where I'm a little bit perplexed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this is probably where the issue is with LSU is they don't really don't. I mean, they have their their practice, which is that, yeah, after five years, your jersey can be retired, but that doesn't take the number out of circulation. The only number at LSU that is truly retired is Billy Cannon's number twenty for he won the Heisman in nineteen fifty nine. Joe Burrow's not officially retired, Jane Daniels is not officially retired. Nobody else is officially retired, and so it's really more of an unofficial, unwritten rule out of respect, and I think Joe Burrow even made a comment that he's been told by people at LSU that, you know, they're not going to use his number, and I think Jane was under the same impression, but there is no you know, this is retired done, that's it, so that that kind of creates the situation.
Speaker 2: I think John Blow, LSU reporter The Advocate Times picking you please tell me how LSU fans are feeling at this moment and perhaps if you can gauge which side they are on.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I don't think this was good for Jane Daniels at all. You know. We even went back and talked to DJ Pickett's family, talked to his dad because we were actually working on a story just about why the number five was important to DJ Pickett, and he said, hey, man, this the whole situationation makes us to wear the number even more. And when we posted that story, all kinds of LSU fans are saying, man, we love DJ Peckett even more, like go DJ, you know very much. I think a lot of LSU fans are upset that again this became this public, this this kind of you know, nasty, that this whole thing happened. I don't think that LSU fans are really on board with Jadan Daniels with this.
Speaker 2: Getting back to my request, respectfully to talk to me like I'm a five year old or a golden retriever, explain to me the name image and like this part of this, like what was really the claim?
Speaker 3: We don't know. I mean, it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense because I guess the only thing that maybe that they could say is, hey, take you know, Jayden's image out of these, you know, highlight reels or something like that, if you're showing you know, past highlight reels. Take Jayden out. But then is that good for Jayden that he's no longer being recognized or seen for what he did at LSU. I know there was a request for maybe the Heisman trophy, LSU's copy of the Heisman trophy be returned and maybe Jaden could put it where he wants to put it, maybe his old high school or something like that. But at the same time, it's LSU's copy, so I don't think he really has any right to that either. We're actually trying to get IP attorneys on the phone because yeah, yeah, who knows.
Speaker 2: Is there a way out of this? I mean, it seems like there's two sides ten toes down, and we did a poll here on Dan Patrick showed it was in favor of LSU. Side of it eighty twenty and you're telling me you're hearing very similar things, and it does make sense. Is there a way? Can you imagine a way out of this for Jade and Daniels?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. Yeah, again, you already put it out there. You're upset, so everybody knows that. I don't know. If DJ Pickett's gonna stop wearing the number. I mean, I don't that's a way out of it. If DJ wanted to change numbers and go back and say sorry, I didn't know it was gonna be this big of a problem. But that doesn't sound like that's happening. And so yeah, I don't know. I mean, build a statue for Jayden, try to get the two sides together to, you know, say hey, we have respect for you. This is how we're respecting you. Put a jersey, I don't know, patch on DJ Pickett's jersey.
Speaker 2: There you go, John Solutions oriented John Blow here, Yes, the patches, the statues, I can I can see where that is real quick. On the statue the Heisman trophy again, factor fiction asking for the high the Lsu version of the Heisman, where he already has his own version of the heisman, but asking for the l s U version of the heisman? Is that true? Is that? Is that what you've been able to surmise.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that has come up. I don't know, you know how you know stringent that demand was. It wasn't in the actual ceasoned assist letter part. So I don't know if they're gonna take him to court over it, but it's but from what I've heard, yeah, I mean that that was something that was asked. Again, it's LSU's I'm.
Speaker 2: My understanding as ells you buys that right.
Speaker 3: Yes, I don't think he can demand. He can ask, but I don't think he can demand.
Speaker 2: Still searching for a way to get onto Daniel's head here and his side of it. I'm not there quite yet. One last question here, what would you consider a successful season for Link if.
Speaker 3: For this year the playoff? I think you know obviously BUS, Yes, I would say playoff or BUS. I know some people are saying National championship or BUS obviously, because they invested like forty plus million dollars in this roster, and obviously you paid fifty four million for Brian Kelly to leave, and so there's a lot invested. A lot riding on this, but I think as long as you make the playoff and or you're at least very much on the border line, I mean, I think if you missed it near the border line is gonna be allowed disappointment. But I just think you got to get to the playoffs, show your in contention, you know, for for bigger things, whether it had again winning a Natty like Urban Meyer said, they have to be within a swig of it. I don't know if that's it, but I think getting to the playoff, I think is kind of the benchmark for the those guys.
Speaker 2: He's John blou LSU football reporter for The Advocate timespicking you so thankful for your time today being here with us.
Speaker 3: John, I appreciate it. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: All right, that's John Blow and the Dan Patrick Show. Solutions oriented here. I'm still in a place where we have to get Jade and Daniels right. I'm not okay with the world where former grade isn't allowed back in the college, or not going back to the college, or over something as silly as a number. Anyone have a solution here.
Speaker 4: Baullie, we were talking about this over here. Oklahoma football gives you a statue automatically if you win the heisman Kyler Murray, Jason White, et cetera, et cetera. Automatic. Why doesn't LSU just do that? Do a billy I think they have a billy cannon. But you give one to Joe Burrow, you give one to Jade and Daniels, and you don't retire numbers anymore. So you keep the numbers in play. You cover yourself. And I think I'd rather have a statue than a retired number. A retired number, just as Michael Evern said, goes away the statue. You have to walk by going into the building. Problem south.
Speaker 2: The numbers part of this is odd because again one hundred and ten uniforms in the sidelines of a home game, we've got two number twelves, two number eights. One's a kicker and one's a defensive lineman. It doesn't even make sense. They're two different bodies. Yeah, pull it.
Speaker 4: Going back to Oklahoma, just checked it. They don't retire numbers officially. Sometimes they hold it back like this, but they do the statue thing as a way to keep all their numbers in play.
Speaker 2: I hear you, Billy Simms, but I think what you're experiencing now is a different sales pitch that has become more popular in the current era of college football transfer portal. What chip can we put on the table to really bring these guys in here? I mean it's yeah, statue might do that, but just saying the kid wants the number they wore in high school, they got a tattoo, their first tattoo, they got an earring, they got they want that number. That's the chip that matters most. That woe is something that's just so much, so far out there. So coaches are doing anything they can. What means less than a problem is from a coach a college rebel culture, I don't know, but they're doing anything they can to put it out there. And that's part of this doing a solution. Please, we'll play a little Devil's Advocate.
Speaker 5: Why doesn't What if DJ Pickett just says I'm gonna wear a different number.
Speaker 2: Of course, that would be an out here. I get it. He's an All American. Yeah, he was promised. And if you're an LSU football fan on Saturday, the most important thing is that your man lined up on the outside is in the best position to get that pick and win the game for you, and that's where your focus is. It's not so much you remember the good times with Jayden Daniels. You have a nice remember when. But the player that's playing this Sunday or Saturday right now means most.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go back to Oklahoma. I'm on their website right now. You can make the case at Billy Simms, the Heis and Winner from the eighties might be the greatest Oklahoma players. There's others, but you think if someone's gonna have his jersey retired, there's two number twenties on the roster this year. They keep it in play. There's a running back in the defensive back, so.
Speaker 2: Other teams are gonna do it their way. If it comes back down to a head coach who's maybe been at that college for one or two years, maybe in this instance, has a very unique accent, who's making promises that Canny keep, yes, Willie keep, Who knows does he keep for the rest of his life? Not what he has to move on because it didn't work. Marvin.
Speaker 6: Should they treat the number five or the number nine like LSU treats the number seven. I think it's a new thing where Patrick Peterson War seven, and now you earn the number seven, Honey Badger War seven, Jamar Chase War seven, Tyron, I mean Leonard four at War seven. So that could be the new standard, like you could work your way to getting this number, and that means you're a guy there.
Speaker 2: I see the vision. I see the vision, Marvin. And that's what today is all about. We've got first weekend of preseason football. We'll go through some more of the games last night, maybe any from this weekend that are catching our eye. Fields of Dreams game was yesterday. I love this, I absolutely love this. I'm gonna wax poetic on our national pastime getting it right with the Field of Dreams game. And in a little bit time, and we have Courtney Cronin ahead just on the other side, my friend Courtney Cronin ESPN reporter. Chicago Bears always a team you're gonna be watching right now. But more than that, they have a head coach knowing to take off his shirt in the locker room, give some rousing speeches and in one of his public appearances in the preseason said, we will put together the greatest offense ever. That's our goal. That's our goal. Is He's setting the bar too high for Caleb Williams. That's where we are today on a simply a resistible Friday, The Dan Patrick Show. Bears had a magical season last year. Everything went right at the end of games. Specifically, can you duplicate that? We've seen it go many many ways, Paulie, you're smiling. Blame me.
Speaker 4: It's a Bears guy. That felt like a magical season without the payoff of a Super Bowl, but the games how they won them. It's tough to think that it's sustainable to do that, to pull it out of your you know what every weekend.
Speaker 2: Fritzy, You've been pulling things out of you know what with the jokes all the time. What do you got? I got nothing, Fritzy, He's got nothing in the spot. I didn't mean to do that, you know here, Well, let me not do that. My observations. I told Dylan exactly how I feel about him, real quick on, Fritzy. Here, Fritzy, your focus face is outstanding. It's a real face. I'm not putting on it. You look like a great horned owl trying to learn algebra while also learning exactly how many licks it takes again to the center of it.
Speaker 6: Do I look like I'm contracted too hard, Like it's like I'm putting on some kind of show.
Speaker 2: Oh you look great. Every mention about I was gonna host the show, watch out for Fritzi. I was expecting some sort of woody page Jay Mariotti, Tony Corneiser combo with a side of Zach Galifanakis. You're charming, You're charming. You won our show yesterday when we went around the man Cave, and we're gonna do that again in hour three. You won our show with it takes so good. None of us remember none of it. But what do you say? It doesn't matter. It was perfect.
Speaker 6: Dan threatened me to behave so that we had a long talk before you got here.
Speaker 2: So you're more than behaving. You're absolutely charming.
Speaker 3: We do.
Speaker 2: You have Corny Cronin on the other side talking all things bears in NFL back on The Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show week days at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: So that gots here.
Speaker 7: I have a podcast empire. It continues to grow, and I have brought it here to iHeart I'm also doing a live radio show from three to five pm Eastern because.
Speaker 2: My wife wanted to kick me out of the house.
Speaker 7: It's called Stu Gotson Company Live, which is available in podcast form right when the show finishes every single day. Some of the biggest names in sports, a lot of phone.
Speaker 5: Calls I love you guys a show it's one of my favorites.
Speaker 7: A lot of interact shit guys not taking themselves too seriously. Those are just some of the things that you can expect from Stu Gotson Company and ste Gotson Company Live. So listen to Stu Gotson Company Live and our original podcast. Please subscribe, rate and review Stu Gotson Company and God Bless Football. Taylor's livelihood depends on it. You do it today and you can check all of those out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: So there are times in your life where you get a report, you hear a rumor, and you say, absolutely not, this is not even closely remotely true. Guys. When I was dreaming I would be on Jeopardy and I was dreaming a sports how you know question would come up for final Jeopardy and you know Alex at the time, and my dream would ask me, Tony, what did you wager? And my answer would be life. I wager my life. I'm not going to get this wrong. It's a sports question on Jeopardy. If I do get it wrong, my life's over. So if I do get it right, my life's over. I would wager my life that the rumor I read this week that Indiana Bears was in play for a team name change, I mean, come on out, what do we say? No shots? And that's what we found out this week. But now I turn to my friend Courtney Cronin, who I am just so happy it is. See Courtney, how are you? How's the family? It's been so long. Oh look at that. I know that's the smiling face of Courtney Cronin.
Speaker 8: I've missed you. I've missed you a lot. I'm so glad that I miss you more in the seat, and I'm glad that we have a chance to talk about the non Indiana Yes him into Bears, I think is what they were rumored to have maybe been thinking about changing their name too, but that's not going to happen. We heard from George McCaskey yesterday they go to Hammond. If they stay in Arlington Heights, stay in Illinois and build in Arlington Heights, they are still the Chicago Bears.
Speaker 2: It's a saga though, all right, we're going on four years, five years? How real is Hammond now? Is Illinois actually losing the Bears? Should it happen? Can can a team feel it's still their state team even if it's over a state line? How do I live in New York and the New York teams playing New Jersey? But how does a Midwesterner feel about that?
Speaker 8: So for me, I try to think geographically, what is going to be the biggest burden for fans and the people who are going to games at Soldier Field right now won't have to travel that much further if they move to Hammond, because it's right around the bend in the Lake. It's twenty something miles away. It's not that far. But there are people who look at this and say, how could you move a charter franchise, a team that's going into its one hundredth and seventh season across state lines into Indiana? How can the state of Illinois allow this to happen? How can they not throw a hail Mary Well, They've had four years to try to figure it out, and we are still at this conundrum that the Bears clearly don't want to go to Indiana because they could have been gone by now. But now Illinois, since they haven't done anything in a while, they did not pass legislation at the Bears say they need to build this stadium, which is that tax certainty in the form of the pilot bill, which is payment in lieu of taxes. I've become like an expert on this stuff, you know, the antelayer stuff. I love the Exes and Osa football, but I really really love like talking about, like, you know, the cost of steel rides, roads widening, and how that whole thing is gonna work. But yeah, no, I mean there's a lot of fans that look at this and say, I'll still be a fan, but I'm not gonna want to go to games, which I don't know if I entirely buy that the team can exist in this region, whether it's in Illinois or Indiana and still maintain the same identity. But it's it's definitely become this revolving door of information where you're not really getting any new information, just things moved around that leads you to the same place, right, but also not have a new stadium and they've been trying to do this now for four years.
Speaker 2: But also misinformation. It's almost like you feel the Indiana Bears came out that report, the rumor came out, you know, purposefully as a cudgel to throw out and some of this also is in a negotiating strategy on the other side. From Illinois perspective too, That's what it feels like for me from.
Speaker 8: AFAR, Well, let me address that report that what came out, whatever was floating out there the other day. Respectfully, I don't give that report much credence. Someone's claiming they are an analyst. You're usually an analyst if you're an expert in a certain subject matter. No incredible on the beat, no one credible who covers the team is around the team was reporting anything about this, and from what you know, I talked to a very high level source on Wednesday night. I was told it was not going to be a major stadium announcement, and it really wasn't. The only new thing we learned yesterday was that there's now an additional site, so the wolf Lake Terminal, the lost marsh site two areas that Tony, you have no clue. I would like to pull up a map right now and make you pick out him in Indiana. Like moving to it, you'll probably get the general region. But like they're they're going to maybe merge these two sites because they've been doing all of this due diligence and testing to make sure that it's safe. And we're not going to walk away with you know, some sort of you know, a third leg growing out of our body because it isn't an area where there's steel mills exactly a lot of environment.
Speaker 2: But just imagine a running back with three legs though, I mean, honestly, what are we talking about here?
Speaker 8: Unfair advantage for thirty one other teams?
Speaker 2: Wow, you know what, Corny, thank you so much, And of course that's why I'm happy I have you here to tell me what's so unfounded and lacking founding. Let's get on the field please here. You've talked to Ben Johnson all summer. Ben Johnson this week made a little bit of news talking about his goal and the goal was for the greatest off ens in the history of the NFL. How serious is he and that type of ambition is that a good thing or maybe not so good thing.
Speaker 8: I think he is as serious as a heart attack. That is who Ben Johnson is. It's not to him that is not an unreasonable goal. That's how he views this team. He came in and took a team that was awful from a year before and won five games in twenty twenty four and turned them into the NFC North champion and an organization that won its first franch on its first playoff game in fifteen years. You do that in year one, you're not going to be trying to set anything other than shoot for the moon level goals for the rest of your tenure as the Bears coach. Which he's brought something to this group that they didn't have, which is tangible hope based on actual results. At this time last year, we weren't exactly sure how Caleb Williams was going to look in this offense, whether it would be explosive. We knew it worked in Detroit, but you had Jared Goff and a quarterback in a quarterback who had done so much throughout his career that he'd already proven himself, and you wondered how that would translate to Chicago it took a while, took the whole offseason, took the first month of the season, and then they started to figure it out. Now you build upon that, and for Ben, who is one of the most relentless competitors I've ever been around, I've ever covered. I mean, in the story that was written on the Athletic, they talk about that laser stare, and I've been on the receiving end of that laser stare in some press conferences. That thing will like see right through your soul. And that's just who he is as someone who wants to put up a ton of points, win games and blowout fashion. And I believe he called for shutouts.
Speaker 2: Too, so oh he wants it all right.
Speaker 8: Once it all I mean, the thing is he's writing a lot of checks that he better hope his players can cash because this is going to be bulletin board material for all the teams that they face this year. Defenses are going to say they're trying to embarrass you out there. They're trying to put up forty fifty on you every single game, and there's going to be an incentive to stop that. But realistically, they do have the pieces around Caleb Williams, from Colston Lovelin to Luther Burden, Roma Dunze, all these receivers.
Speaker 2: Put so much greatest NFL history.
Speaker 8: Wow, okayah in the run the run game too, I mean it's I can't blame Ben Johnson for shooting for such a high goal. Although from where they were a year ago to where they are now, you can see it more clearly how they'll be able to get there because they're going to have to score a lot of points to win games given some of the injuries they have on defense.
Speaker 2: You mentioned bulletin board material, Well, that's what it was. And the three teams in the division, this may be the best division in football? Do you feel that? I think the North is and now give me the pecking order here as we approached the end of August.
Speaker 8: So i'd probably I know that Bears and you talk about those one score games, there's a place of regression that is a natural conversation landing point when you go from one year to the next. Can you win all of these games in the fourth quarter when you're down and there's two minutes left and you're go into overtime. We saw it with the Chiefs last year that is an area that quickly sees a drop off that you don't just get to carry that year to year. But I still put them as the second best team right now entering the twenty twenty sixty because there's a lot that has to be accounted for on defense. The offense is going to have to score a lot of points, and I think they can, but I'd go Green Bay Chicago. I moved Detroit to third because they have so some significant injuries along the offensive line. Their center just has a hand injury that's pretty significant. They've had a lot of moving parts up there. It's not something that I expect to make them a four, five six win team. I still think that they're team that could end up being a wild card team, But I am not convinced that just because they bring in a new offensive coordinator and they've got some of the same pieces, namely the quarterback and the wide receivers there, that this is not going to be an offense that deals with some more attrition. But then behind them as Minnesota, I don't think JJ McCarthy or Kyler Murray. There were not really any rave reviews consistently about either of them. This to me felt like the obvious answer in going with Murray. So until we see if the reclamate project can work on another quarterback, I've got my doubts about that Minnesota Vikings team.
Speaker 2: Which Bear is ready for the breakout? Who are we not talking about enough?
Speaker 8: Luther Burden. He is a spark plug to this offense and he's got the swagger. I guess what the kids would call Aura to back it up. The way that he plays in practices is the way that you see him play in games, and he started to come on last year, just like big explosive games can get away from defenders. Will add so much to a passing offense that already has so many weapons. And what the Bears hope for with this offense is that they don't have to say that guy is wide receiver one, that guy is going to have the most receiving yards every single week, because one week it could be Colston Lovelin, one week it could be Roma Dune, say Luther Burden. I mean, we saw the mix of that last year, but I really think in his second year that Burden, who by all accounts should have been a first round pick. We'll let that first round talent show very early in his second season.
Speaker 2: And that just elevates Caleb Williams. Yeah, And is there one thing you're looking for with Caleb Williams right now to say this is the jump he needs to really get to that next level. And what do you think that next level can be? What is this ceiling?
Speaker 8: The things you want to see from him are not the spectacular place, because you know those are coming. You know when he puts that Superman cap on fourth quarter, two minute drill, hurry up, whatever it is, game on the line situation, he's going to come through. As boring as this sounds, I want to see him do the simple, really really well, do less. That was how quarterback Their quarterbacks coach JT. Barrett prased it this offseason. If you have a moment where you can just take the checkdown instead of dropping back, evading pressure, scrambling around to get the same ten yard game that you could get on a much easier pass, then go the path of least resistance. Don't make it harder on yourself. He's the best clutch quarterback that we saw last season bar none. I mean they had seven wins when they were down, including the playoffs. In that game against Green Bay where they're trailing in the fourth quarter or overtime and they win those games. So that's a big part of who the quarterback is. He doesn't get the Madden cover if he's not doing the fourth and eighth throw to Romadunze or running backwards and then throwing the pass to cole Kmet to keep this team alive and go to overtime against the Rams. We know he can do that. What you want to see is can he be a complete quarterback? Can you do those things earlier in games too? Because they kept it interesting. They want to be boring. They want to be a team that, yes, boats up a lot of points, but it's not coming down to the final moments of the game. Do it in the first half. Set yourself up for success by getting out to an early leads, so you're not constantly having to be in panic and ketchup mode.
Speaker 2: But we're friends. I could put you on the spot here, give you the number if he had just that dial, h's his ceiling? What is his number? In the NFL Quarterback Power Rankings coron in edition.
Speaker 8: Top top six, top seven quarterback. I think most people will have him in that ten, eleven, twelve range. Right now, which is totally fair. But he starts to adjust that dial and I don't even think if you're looking for like a specific number. Should he hit four thousand yards? He came close last year. I know the Bears have never had a four thousand yard passer. It is a major milestone that he himself wants to achieve. But if he hits the benchmarks of doing less and doing less really well on top of all the great things that he does, is such an explosive playmaker, then he's one of the top quarterbacks in the league. I'd say, you know, six or seven is a very fair place to put Caleb Williams.
Speaker 2: All right, last question here to get you on this. We just saw something incredible in Chicago, Pope power with the Chicago White Sox, with the Pope hat Knight that took over the stadium. Can I impart to you the benefits of Pope power for the Bear season? What that might look like? Maybe you have a suggestion here, but you have he had to be a Bears fan, right, so he was in order to capture that. What are the Bears the a confessional handshake, a piece as their touchdown celebration or defensive celebration. I'm just throwing some stuff out here. Think about pop power.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the ambassador to the Vatican, by way of Caleb Williams Foundation. Back in July, I brought a Caleb Williams sign jersey to the Vatican to hand to Pope Leo, which I'm sure made him very happy. He has a lot of White Sox memorabilia. I know that the Bulls gave him a jersey as well, But to get that Caleb Williams jersey, it's a it's a hot commodity.
Speaker 2: It's a hot commodity.
Speaker 8: I don't know if the Pope's aware of just like how much people would want that. But you know, there's one football team in Chicago. Yeah, it's not like the baseball teams. Like if you can be ordained by the Pope, unlike the Chicago Cubs, you probably have on the outsider.
Speaker 2: Yeah, White Sox three straight hundred lost seasons. They're in first place right now. If they were to do that, that would be the first in the history of baseball to ever do that. Why because of the Pope. Now the Bears next thing, you know, four thousand yard seasons for everything. Pope power. I had some Cordy Crode in power. This is why she had a thirty three percent win percentage and around the horns, and that's this is why. Thank you Courtney so much for being here for me today.
Speaker 8: Thanks for having me. This was fun. This is fun, and I'm glad that my winning percentage stands in history. Yes it aware, it's top ten somewhere like Aayler Williams. I top ten in something.
Speaker 2: Say hello to your brother and mother for me. All right, thank you, Gordy Crote. And now she is ESPN NFL reporter for the Chicago Bears. Got the story. We know it. We know where they stand, we know where Ben Johnson stands. He wants this offense to be the greatest of all time. Number one offensive all time, Fritzy, I don't even need to look your way. The current NFL record offense for this year, No in all time, but the best offense.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna go with the.
Speaker 2: Rams, Fritzie, greatest.
Speaker 3: You were rolling so high.
Speaker 2: You and me were simple and sharp, and McCaffrey and Rod Smith and those guys. No, it's the Denver Broncos Peyton Manning year.
Speaker 4: Oh, I have a touchdown.
Speaker 2: This is tea ball time. No, we're going statistic, you know. Yeah, they didn't jump at me with the offense though that you're thinking of the Super Bowl year the next year where Peyton Manning couldn't throw the ball and they won it. The year before that, he starts the NFL season with seven touchdowns in a Sunday night game. Julian Thomas, Do I have this right? And the greatest offensive all time statistically in points and in yardage is that Denver Broncos team. That's what Ben Jonson said, is the goal to put up numbers like that Paully. Yeah.
Speaker 4: A couple other offenses that were in the mix, the seven Patriots, horse than ninety nine Rams. How about that ninety eight Vikings team.
Speaker 2: Oh remember well.
Speaker 4: Randall cutting him and Randy Moss. Randy Moss was on two of these top five offenses, by the way, and the eighty four Dolphins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, eighty four Dolphins was Marino's breakout year. And I think that Vikings team is the most slept on of those teams because they did not win and they had a missed chip shot field goal separating them from again to the Super Bowl instead of Atlanta. After the ninety eight season, but that was a year where they put it all together and had five hundred points of offense and those others. Greatest show on turf. But Fritzi, Fritzi, I.
Speaker 3: Think of that year.
Speaker 2: I think of that, you know, no fly zone and the defense. That's why it even statistically, I guess. But I didn't think of them as like, oh my god, all right, well, Fritzy missed the mark there on his it's allowed on his Denver Broncos. The Bears as an offensive juggernaut. Just the words don't even sound right coming out of them out But maybe that's what they need to break through. Maybe that's what it is. We went through all the NFL games last night. You guys can bring it back for me. Field of Dreams game on Netflix. Can we talk about that for a second after the break. Let's let's let's take a break right here in the Dan Patrick Show. Maybe some calls as well. Eight seven to seven to three DP show. We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: We had some of the all time grades, many of the all time grades you may get in your Pinini pack. Last night Field of Dreams game in Iowa, twenty six Hall of Famers emerged from the Stalks. Do I have that right? I'm really out of my three year the corn Stalks in the Iowa Cornfield Field of Dreams games. We've seen it before. This is another goal around. Does it still work for you? I don't mean to impart a poll upon you, Dylan, but maybe that could be a poll. Maybe this could be your elusive fifty to fifty Field of Dreams. Does it still work for you? Well?
Speaker 5: We actually do want a quick update on our previous poll, search for the perfect.
Speaker 2: Poll, I search for perfection.
Speaker 5: We put up the best week of preseason football week one, two, or three. We are so close. We're in the thirties on all three of them.
Speaker 2: Did I not tell you you were perfection? Dylan? You dideo man? Yeah? Where are we? Thirty three? Thirty three, thirty three? Do we hit it? Not quite?
Speaker 5: We're at thirty one point four for week one, thirty seven point seven for week two, which I was a little surprised about, in thirty point nine for week three.
Speaker 2: There we're on the press best. Here's what I need people for your week one uie threes. I need you to more than I ever needed to just come on and get us to tighten this up to thirty three thirty three and help me prove to dil And he's perfect in every way. He's work. He's working for that thirty three thirty three thirty three, which I think is more challenging than the fifty to fifty. All right, another poll could be in play. Is it still working for you? The The Field of Dreams game Fritzy Place.
Speaker 6: I was going to ask you in the room, when is something that's unique and special become a gimmick?
Speaker 2: It two years, in four years, in nine years? If it works, it works. But I didn't watch any of the Field of Dreams. I didn't fill in each two years in four years in two shows in on a Thursday Fridays. Is that what you're saying? When is that sorry that she'll become a gimme.
Speaker 1: A Paul.
Speaker 2: You haven't answer that question.
Speaker 4: I watched quite a bit of it The Field Dreams last night, and I kind of is a reminder of how great it was. It's gotten a little built up and you know, a little predictable.
Speaker 2: But it's still very cool.
Speaker 4: And you know, based off that movie Field of Dreams, it's got such staying power. What almost forty years later, it was a cool night and I could take three hours to watch it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So now I see we could be getting closer to fifty to fifty for it. He's leaning one way, pole he's reading or one of them. Maybe it is a certifiable poll here is it's still working for you, Marvin.
Speaker 6: The only thing that threw me off was the Minnesota Twins. I thought it was gonna be the Phillies, Yankees, Phillies, Blue Jays, Phillies Dodgers, two more relevant teams than that first see. I don't think if you air it, we will watch the playoff of the little movie titled.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Well you know what that was actually a belly laugh for me.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 2: You get the points there. We are gonna go around the man Cave in an hour three stick around for that. We're gonna I really want to see your takes for the day. And here's where I am with this. And I hear what you're saying, Marvin, But Cornfields, Minnesota again out of my jurisdiction. But the Yankees. Maybe it don't need to be playing in cornfields every year that was that was special when they did. Pastime is the word, right, and I think it's a dangerous word in league offices or I'm a company that's going to disrupt things type feel, which is what everybody wants to be pastime. Nobody wants to be associated just with the past. It means you're old, right. Everybody wants younger, newer, They want to grow. They want growth, which is a great thing as well. But then when you want that and you get blindfolded or blinders on to do that, you get the hottest TikTok dancer on social media and your greatest streamer who does pranks doing the Super Bowl or doing this this game that we don't need that for this game. I think baseball is wise. And I said this on the show that I was a guest after the All Star Game. They leaned into the sandlot, and you can do that here. You can your baseball lean into the past time. One thing about this game that really s me is man Kyle Schwarber. I mean, we know he hits home runs and we know he's got it right, but there's a stat out there. Curtsey of Sarah Lang's the best in the business, the stat Queen most home runs in your first five seasons with the team, Babe Ruth Yankees two thirty five. Kyle Schwarber Phillies two twenty five, after his two last night that we witnessed the past of baseball and very much the present with Kyle Schwarber. The type of player I'd like to see in a cornfield, Big Burley hacking, hey or whatever you do, Kyle Schwarber. I'm all for the fields of dreams. Dan Patrick show back on the other side.