Speaker 1: I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset. When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my ball in a bright egg Frida egg Frida, egg Frida egg.
Speaker 2: Brid egg lie, I'm about ready to run off the golf course.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Friday Golf Podcast. I am your host, Sandy Johnson, and uh, what a tournament. The Open Championship is concluded, our major championship season on the men's side is over, and Ryan fox is the champion Golfer of the year. Uh. Foxy played just an outstanding gutty back dine to beat a number of competitors coming down the stretch after Cam Young posted a number and kind of surprisingly was the number to beat at nine under, Foxy kind of outdueled the likes of Sam Burns, Scottie Scheffler, Seawoo Kim down the stretch to win his first major championship. Having gotten to know Foxy a little bit, this was an awesome win. He came on the podcast The Friday Golf Podcast two years ago in twenty twenty four, when he was playing his first year out on the PGA Tour. Is a great guy. Wonderful guy. Definitely one of the good guys in just his general story of getting into the game late and being this late bloomer who grinded his way up was really endearing. And to see him play the back nine of a lifetime to get it done at a very very challenging Royal Birkdale. I think we saw when the wind got up, with the firm and fast conditions, that was a lot of golf course to deal with. On Sunday Congress to Ryan Fox, I'm joined today by Trevor Immelman. It'll be our final installment of the Majors podcasts of the year. We'll probably do something around the President's Cup, which is coming to Chicago and Medina. As always, big thanks to Trevor, the CBS's lead analyst, for joining us and breaking down these major championships. It's always fun to chat with Trevor. Before we get to Trevor Immelman, let's talk about our friends at Mercedes Benz. They were our sponsor for the Open Championship week and they've got a wonderful array of automobiles that you can choose from, especially their SUVs, from compact to Powerhouse. Mercedes Benz offers a variety of SUVs, each with flowing lines and ice edges, expertly balancing elegance with aerodynamics. You can further customize your driving experience, whether it's through the vast array of interior and exterior options or the hundreds of in vehicle settings that can be personalized to best fit your needs. Intuitive mbux Ai learning capabilities can recognize your habits and driving preferences to create driving profiles unique to each driver. The Burmister three D surround sound system creates an immersive acoustic experience, with some models including optional speakers built right into the seat. Experience the power, precision, and versatility of Mercedes Benz SUVs. They're not just on par with the best, they are the best. Mercedes Benz SUVs offer the space you need and the opulence you deserve. Enhance every aspect of your game with a Mercedes Benz Suv, from massage seats to ambient lighting. They level up every ride. Mercedes Bent is a proud official patron of the Open Championship. All right, let's get to Trevor a moment. I gotta say, I can't believe that you're in the booth. If I was in the booth, not that I ever would be. I would have seven hundred tabs open at all times. I'm a computer and I can't believe that you operate in the booth without a million tabs open. I don't know how you possibly do that. How do you do that with just an iPad?
Speaker 2: Well, if you, I mean, if you want me to take you inside my life in the booth, I do have a computer that I do not own. It's linked up that CBS links up for me to all the shot link and you know, all the different stats stuff, and so I operate on that during the show. And then I have have an iPad to my right that has the bios of everybody in the field and all my different notes on all those guys. And then I have another iPad to my left that I keep just on how the course is playing, so I know exactly which holes are playing hard, which are playing easy, which ones are gettable, and so I operate between those three along with the notes on paper. It's old school, Andy. I like to go old school.
Speaker 1: I like writing stuff down too. I retain information when I write stuff down, but I don't do it nearly enough. Hence why my wife's always wondering why I forget things, but I am I'm curious. What did the Ryan fox file look like before yesterday.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I've known Foxy for a long time, playing on the tp Will Tour together and that was sort of towards the end of my career as he was coming through. I mean, you guys have told the story very well of his late start in golf and when he turned pro and as he started breaking through on the world stage. Obviously have had a lot of dealings with him as he's been so so so close to making the international team a couple of times, and actually spoke to him last week at the Scottish Open, spent a few minutes with him as he was heading to his tea time. Gosh, that must have been Saturday, and then chatted again with him last night. I mean, this is a guy that you know, he comes from great Stock. Yeah, I'm not quite sure that American fans quite understand what a legend his father is and was played fly half, which is number ten for the All Black. They broke my heart my whole childhood, his dad did because he was just so good. I mean, when you look in rugby terms, Ryan's dad is kind of you know, he's up there. You know, he's up there in the Brady Jordan Tiger Woods type of mold, Wayne Gretzky mold. I mean, this guy was an absolute superstar. And so it's really really cool when you look at their family history of his grandfather being a New Zealand cricketer, his dad just being an absolute stud and now Ryan right up alongside him winning the Open Championship. I mean, this is a pretty cool story right here.
Speaker 1: I mean it's amazing. And I think you see this with with kids of legends, you know, I think this happened with like Michael Jordan's kids. Is like you know, when you're on the court, you get the other teams, the other player's best shots. And you know, for Foxy, I did realize this until yesterday. But you know, he on the rugby I think it's a pitch right field. Okay, only just only a football.
Speaker 2: Pitch World Cup too much.
Speaker 1: On the rugby field. I just was trying to use the right term of a sport. On the rugby field, he was targeted and he had a series of concussions as a kid, and then you know, caused him to give up the sport and then you know he he he talked about this on our podcast a couple of years ago, but he's like, I was looking for some competitive outlet, so I always like golf, so I decided to play golf. And it's like, you think about that, He's age eighteen and he just decides he's going to play competitive golf, and sure enough, now twenty one years later, he's a major champion. It's a pretty unbelievable story just about you know, there's so many layers to it, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. And you know, you look at his journey to here. I mean, he rarely has done it, done it the proper way, done it the hard way. He's had to earn every little thing. And you look at his major championship record. I mean, if I'm not mistaken, Typer sixteenth in the Open in twenty nineteen was his best major championship finished. Before this week and the last few seasons, we've got to know him a bit more here in the in the US, shall I say, the fans over here have become more accustomed to him. The initial win at Myrtle Beach and then the marathon playoff with Sam Burns in Canada, eventually hitting that unbelievable fairway would shot to close that out a couple of years ago. So he's been on the rise and it's kind of fun to have. You were talking about old school with the computers earlier, but it's kind of fun and refreshing to see again. You know, this is sort of the progression that people used to take to where you would mature and you would start to have your best stuff in your mid mid to late thirties, and that's kind of the road that he's taken, and it'll be fun to see, you know, what happens from here. But regardless, what a great cherry on the cake for him to get this win and the way that he went about it, the way he played the majority of the weekend, I mean, sixty twos seemed to be out there throughout the week, but shoots the great third round to get into position. And then the way he played that second nine, I mean from thirteen to eighteen was you know, he went out and won this open. He didn't back into it. Nobody handed it to him. You know, you could you could make a case for Cam Young having that stumble at the end, but eighteen is such a difficult hole. But the way Ryan finished over those last five or six holes was was pretty stiller and gutsy. And I enjoyed watching that, you know.
Speaker 1: I there's so many things that hit on and I think what you said, the old school path to getting here. He starts on the Australian Tour almost quits there. You know, he talked about that in his post round press conference about how he almost was going to quit, and then his dad caddy for him and he's like, this is supposed to be fun. Why don't we go have some fun this week? And sure enough he kept his card years and years on the DPEAT World Tour, and then he eventually comes over here and as you reference, you know, not you know, about a year a little bit more than a year ago. He's playing alternate field events. You know, he's playing the he won the Myrtle Beach which is a which is an opposite field event. He wins Canada. Then you know, right after that, but you know, this is a guy who you know, it wasn't it's just not been an easy path and I think, like I think what showed on the weekend was that grit. I mean, especially down the stretch that I think that was a the you know, I think we could get to accustomed to saying, oh, that was a bad break. But I believe he got dealt a couple of really bad breaks at extraordinarily crucial times. And I think a lot of players after the breakout fifteen where the ball hits the you know, he's a foot from hitting from a perfect shot, the ball hits the face and bounces back and leaves him no swing to where he has to chip out sideways. I think that moment breaks a lot of guys. And this is but this is someone who has I mean, I could only imagine the conversations that that someone that has gone through what Ryan Fox has gone through to get to where he is, has had in his head late night in some motel room in rural Australia thinking about what the hell am I doing right now? Or a hotel room in Thailand on the DP World Tour by himself, you know what he's thinking. And that that to me showed up with just the way he handled what happened to him on the golf course coming down the stretch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you look at some of the winds. He's won twenty times worldwide now, but obviously I mean some of them, a lot of them. Yeah, and some of them you know you may have never heard of. But it's just slipping stones as he's you know, honing his craft and learning how to play as a professional. And then you know, and then the big one start to flow. You know, the Irish Open, well there is lost in a playoff, but the BMW at Wentworth Alfred Dunhill links. You know Myrtle Beach you mentioned earlier. I mean that might be the secret for everybody in twenty twenty seven because I believe Aaron Rye played at Myrtle Beach this year and then won the PGA Championship and so you know, guys may want to add that to their schedule next year.
Speaker 1: But opposite field events because you had Windham before LACC too. Yeah yeah, I forgot which one do you won?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good point. But you know it's funny when you talk about the bad breaks, and I always find that quite interesting. You know, everybody knows where these pots bunkers are. They're like magnets. I would love to hear from him, and I was texting back and forth with him last night. Obviously he was super busy with everything that was going on, might have.
Speaker 1: Gotten a few you've gotten text back, a few glasses of wine deep Yeah, as was going to be flying.
Speaker 2: It seems like that Clara jug was filled with some grape early on, which is good and as it should be. But I would love to find out from him that shot on fifteen. You know, when you look at where the whole location was in the back left and the wind blowing across that hole. And he's the type of guy that would give you a very honest answer. I mean, he just he tells you exactly how it is. He doesn't waste any time trying to sugarcoat things. I wonder if he pulled that iron shot or not. You know, it's such a difficult shot with the wind whipping across, the whole location is tucked back left. You know, oh you've got the DP pot bunker in front. And really so the play to me on such a difficult hole is more the type of shot that Sewu Kim hit a group or two in front, where you play it out more to the middle of the green because you know you're going to land it in the front portion, which brings that pot bunker into play and so you play out more thirty thirty five feet to the right. We saw a couple guys take it on, a couple get fortunate, and Ryan's ball just hits on the face and kicks into the back edge. I'd love to hear from him if he pulled that slightly or not. But yeah, you're one hundred percent correct. Didn't moan about it, didn't shake his head and stomp around, got right in there with the lob wedge, played it out backwards and then a brilliant up and down to stay in it, and then also the bounce back after that. I mean, he's birdied thirteen fourteen, saves that bogie, and then on sixteen, which was a tough hole, okay, and just flags it there and converts the putt, you know. And then seventeen was another one. He decides to go with the driving iron. He has the ability to rarely flat it down, and we saw how burnt out and firm the fairways were, and that long iron just trickles into the front of that bunker at three point thirty or whatever it was. I mean, how good, How good was the second shot out of the bunker with the way the stance was, How awkward. It was how much he had to bend down. He's got a little bit of lip in front of him. You know. You think back to the shot that Cam Young hit on the eighteenth out of the pot bunker. Ryan could have fatted that and not got far enough down there, or stayed in the rough. He could have scalded into the lip. You know, when the balls that far below your feet and you're getting into such an awkward set up position, you could catch the puzzle on that shot. You know, really there's a whole host of things that could happen. But his hand eye coordination is so sharp that he advanced it quite far down there and eventually had a pretty good look at birdie. So to me, that was just as impressive as fifteen, kind of getting out of jail a little bit. And then that eighteenth hole, I mean, that eighteenth hole at Royal Birkdale to me is one of the better finishing holes in tournament golf. I mean, never mind just majors. I mean it just asks great questions of you. You know, with the technology these days and as far as what these guys hit it, they're not always forced to go ahead and pull the driver. Now you can lay back on eighteen and take at least a couple bunkers out of it, But then you're going to be hitting such a long club in for your second. And so if you do go ahead and decide to pull that driver, man, you do not have much space there, particularly with how firm the fairways were. And he decided that he was going to take the opportunity to try and win the tournament. And wow, how good are those three shots that he's hit on the eighteenth? I mean, that is that's what you dream of when you're a little kid. Is finishing off any tournament, the club championship, a game against your mate, you never mind a major, and the Open. To finish the eighteenth hole like that and win by one is that's a story he's going to be telling for for many years to come.
Speaker 1: I think you hit on you know, seventeen, the bunker shot. You know, it's hard to pick out one because he hit so many great ones from really thirteen on. Yeah, just spectacular shot making all the way in. But that one on seventeen, you know, you illustrated how many things could go wrong with that, And as he was acutely aware of all of that, also you know, I'm sure of all the things that could go wrong in his ability to get it down to where he had one hundred and forty four yards I think it was, and he's hitting a wedge all of a sudden and convert taking what happened, you know, where man, this driving iron rolled out in an inconceivable number and into this bunker that I didn't. I'm hitting the iron so it doesn't get there, you know, effectively, and it gets in there, and then he gets it to where he generated. I think like one of the things is that he generated another really comfortable look and he had the really similar distance looks on sixteen, seventeen and eighteen, and there's something about like getting through seventeen after that t shot. He put himself in a stressful situation. But say he had just been able to just shovel it out a little bit and he had two hundred yards into seventeen, it all of a sudden would have he would have like accumulated stress there. It would have been, you know, he's probably hitting a big lag putt to make his par and he's scooting out of there. But I think it almost put him in an attacking mindset where it's like, oh, I just missed that birdie on seventeen, Let's go get it on eighteen. You know, I thought, the way this is never it's never going to look when when people look back on his round, They're never going to look and be like, oh, what a great round of golf that sixty eight was. Because the number with the with the other numbers that people shot during the week, whether it was you know, the sixty two's that the sixty two he shot on Saturday, or the sixty twos from Friday, or even Cam Young who went out two hours ahead of him, his you know sixty four that he shouts are all going to obscure. The other piece of this is that in those last I don't know five groups, nobody put a real number up on the board. Nobody really went out and shot a number. And on the back nine it opened up where it was like anybody's game, and this guy went out and made four birdies on a very very hard back nine. I mean, there were so many crosswinds, the course is super firm, and the wind finally kicks up. It was the hardest conditions of the tournament and he played. I mean, everybody's gonna look at the sixty two's everything. This was the nine of the tournament.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I totally agree with you. Look, when you are in the final pairing in the final round of a major championship, it's the pressure in the heat and the exposure and the spotlight that is on you, you know, increases dramatically compare to if you were someone like even a Cam Young who went out there a couple hours before. I mean, Cam Young is going to the first he knowing that he only really has one option on the day he had a bit of a rough third day. He only has one option. He's got to go out there and put his foot on the gas and hope things fall his way and have a chance with a handful of holes to play. He did that and he deserves a ton of credit for that round of golf. But total different type of pressure that Cam Young had when he started his final round and when Burns and Fox he started their final round. So you know, that just highlights everything that you've just said. I mean, for him to go out there and play that well, shoot a great sixty eight and get it done, you gotta tip your cap to him. And really that's the advantage of being in the final or the penultimate pairings is you know everyone in front of you, you can kind of get a feel for or see what they're doing, how they've finished, you can get a feel for what it's going to take, what the number is. And the beauty about Roal Birkdale is you've got to wait a long time for those part fives to roll around. But when they roll around, all of a sudden, you get a couple of chances late in your round where eagle is in play, and so if you are a stroke or two behind, you know that there's still some time to catch up. And it was fun. I mean the last hour or so, it really was was great watching to see if anybody could could catch or tie Cam Young. I mean, it would have been fascinating. Can you imagine if he won, finishing like two hours and twenty minutes before the leaders, that would have been been quite something. I mean, I can't really remember himba that happening in a major championship for quite some time. I mean, he's sort of my brain's almost going back to Ben Curtis early in the two thousands.
Speaker 1: That's what I saw. I saw people comparing it to Ben Curtis, if he had, if he had won, and it would have been you know, yeah, I think you make a great point because that Sunday morning about like the difference and feel when you're in a late pairing, whether it's like one of the last you know. I think, particularly with this one, one of the last three pairings, all those guys felt like they probably had Hey, if I play a really good round, I'm gonna win this tournament. And but there's also like this idea and you saw it is like I could shoot, you know, if Sam Burns shoots seventy, he's he's in it. It's a different dynamic in the sense of like you don't have to light the world on fire for Cam Young, you know. And and how close he got hit there, as you said, one option you go get it. But if it doesn't, it's like, well, ah, shucks, I didn't. I didn't have like that great round bottled up today and I yeah, I mean, what do you think of his decision making on eighteen?
Speaker 2: Are we talking about Foxy Still or came Young?
Speaker 1: Cam Young?
Speaker 2: You know, I don't mind it. I don't mind it. It's such a difficult t shot no matter what club you choose, like I touched on earlier. You can take a couple of bunkers out, but then you're really going to be stuck with a long iron in. Their whole location was tucked behind that right bunker, and so if you're going in with something longer, I mean, now you rarely are probably going to be dumping it to about thirty five or forty feet and you're just playing for par at that point. We know how Wally drives the ball. We know how Wally drives it under pressure. You think back to the t shot he hit on the eighteenth of the players this year, and really it's one of his weapons. I mean, he has got a great game through the bag, but the driver is one of his weapons, and so I don't really second guess that too much. You know, I'm totally comfortable with that. The other thing about it is, you know everything was going his way for the whole round, and you know, you look at he goes out in twenty nine. He makes another birdy at fourteen, another birdy at seventeen, so he gets the two par fives and at that point he is seven under for the round, and so all the momentum is going his way. It's one of those where you know, you keep riding the wave until he get tossed off. And when I initially saw the lion the bunker, I thought, okay, there might be a chance it was similar to what Ryan had in the third round. And then he took his stance and he seemed to rarely be aiming a long way left to try and open that club face up to create some more loft and hit a big slice to try and get it up or on the green or you know, around the green. But in the end it didn't didn't come close. I mean, it was quite a long way from getting over the lip of that pot bunker. So yeah, it's the beauty of Lynx Golf. You know. I just love how the bunkers at Links Golf, the majority of them, they don't have to be massive to cause havoc. You know. Obviously the area around him a lot of times feeds towards them, and so they they sort of get get swallowed up. Like I said earlier, it's like there's a magnet in there, and it's just like it's encouraging your ball to come towards it. But once you get in him, I mean it's you know, you're looking at it half the full shot penalty, and that's why I love it. I was actually having this discussion with my son while we were watching it, thinking back to players who've won the Open or done real well who've never been in a bunker for the week. I think I seem to remember Tiger maybe in two thousand at St Andrews. He wasn't in one bunker the whole week, and so to be able to plot your way around, I mean, some are some are harder than others. You know, you look at an aerial of the eighteenth draw Birkdale, is so many of them out there just looking to grab your ball, and Cam just couldn't quite sneak it by there. But it also highlights how great Ryan's t shot was, especially being iced on the last tea. It was a bit of a hold up there. He's gone ahead and put the tea in the ground, which you know how many psychologists would disagree with that. You know, don't start your routine until it's your turn to He'd already had that ball teed up, he had the driver in his hand. He's kind of wondering around the tea box waiting for someone to tell him he can go ahead and whack it and just steps up there and crushes it down the middle. I mean it really highlights what a magnificent tea shot that was.
Speaker 1: It was, I mean, outstanding te shot. I think, you know the way these things work, right, It's like five years from now, people are gonna be like, oh, Ryan Fox snuck one out. You know, you know it depending on what happens. But as we've hit on, he's won twenty times across the world. And I think the other thing about it, the winning score of the tournament was ten under. It's not like a create. It wasn't like a nineteen twenty under Open, like you know, like last time we were at the old course, it was I think, what was it, twenty under the Campsmith one. The guy shot one thirty on the weekend. Yeah, shot right on the week to win the Open Championship, and of course that yielded the winning score ten under. Like incredible, incredible weekend performance. One thing I wonder about with Cam, and something I think about a lot with tournament golf, is you become fixated with a number in your head that this is the number that I have to get to, this is the number that it has to be. And I think for Cam going out early where the wind hasn't quite kicked up, and the way he went out and got it, I almost sent like a false sense of what the number was going to be throughout the entire field, but more and most importantly him, because as soon as he got off the course, he's like, I wish I was at you know, basically said I wish I was at eleven or twelve. I don't think I have much of a chance. But I think that the psychology of that on the eighteenth hole in the bunker played into it, and I think it's just a good thought for anybody that's playing copetitive golf anywhere, whether you're in club championship, whether you're playing a match, is like figurative numbers in your head will only get you in trouble, and all you could do at the moment is like hit the shot in front of you. And it's like he dumps that out in front of the green. It's probably a pretty easy up and down for him. The way he's kind of going, and you know he's had ten, it's a completely different story. And you played out a number of times. I think it's probably harder for fox to make a birdie on eighteen to get into a playoff that it is actually to win. I don't know though. You know, obviously you could play that the game of figurative all over. But I have to think that throughout the entire field there was a belief that the number needed to be eleven or twelve, and it ended up and a lot of people were kicking themselves when they realized I just had to get to ten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's that's an accurate and fair assessment right there. You just never quite know, particularly in this style of golf. I mean, it did appear to me. I was on site Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and then I flew home, so I watched it on TV over the weekend. But it did appear to me that the last hour and a half or so, the wind did pick up, probably as strong as it had been all week long. And uh, and as the wind starts to whip across these holes, it really gets harder to to get it in there close and and and really take it as deep as what we saw from some of the earliest starters. So and then and then also you know, you've you've got the the extra layer of again, Now it's crunch time. Now we're down to the end. I mean this is not Thursday afternoon or Friday afternoon. I mean, now, now who's going to lift the cleric jug? And so all of that stuff, stuff starts to factor in and the air starts to get a little more thin. Ah, but uh, it was fine. I mean a particular moment there, it felt like they were there were a handful of more or more of guys that had legitimate shots, but particularly with you know, seventeen being a reachable part five, I mean, somebody could have made an eagle or bogie on that whole. That could have been a huge switch right there. So it was great. What a way to finish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I you know, there's there's some similarities. It's a little bit different in the sense of the way the tournament unfolded, but it felt it had a little bit of a rondom innk with the way that the final nine unfolded, where you know, there's a lot of people, uh, and a lot of different types of players, a lot of different experience levels on the leader board, and and one player went out and took it from everyone. It happened to be the fox that you know, out out smarted the whole field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: I like that. The clever old fox saved as best for the last. So you know, they there's some headlines right itself. What's you make of Scottie Shuffler's week.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, as always, he's in there. He gives himself a chance. I mean it's remarkable the consistency that this guy has. Doesn't matter the conditions, doesn't matter the style of course. It can be firm, it can be soft, it can be low scoring, can be a really stern test. I mean, he just finds a way to have a chance to win. I thought it was some of the best ball striking I've seen from him in a number of months. Actually thought that he got his swing into a nice zone and slot and was rarely hitting a lot of beautiful shots, but he didn't quite quite make anything. Felt like couldn't rarely buy a put and then had to push toward the end. We had the awkwardness of seventeen where he gets the drop and he comes up what is he three behind? And so sixty seven on Sunday had a real shot at it. But you know, Bogion eighteen Bogion fifteen, Bogion thirteen. So he shoots even on the second nine, I mean rarely gave himself a great shot after going out in three under thirty one, especially with the start when he flagged it on number one and on two and he starts Bertie Bertie, I was like, oh boy, I mean this could get interesting here.
Speaker 1: I yeah, I echoed that. I thought that was the best he's looked tee to green in a in a long time, which is very scary for anybody playing him the next few weeks. Uh. Unfortunately, you know, none of those are major championships for him.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The putter, I you know, outside of last year at at at Port Rush, I feel like every time we come to the Open, the putter just is is just a bit I don't know if it's the slower greens, I I you know, there was a lot of commentary about the greens and particularly the way they they were later in the day just being a little bumpier, and obviously a lot of players playing a lot of mixture of grasses, not a lot of you know, not a lot of rain this year, so that you know that just naturally the grasses are a little bit more stress stressed, but you know, it just seemed like those those moments where he could get momentum going or keep momentum riding every time it came down to a very very makeable putt and in that range of putts that you know, you you you feel like you should make all of them, but you should you statistically are going to And it just felt like he was living in that zone all day, all week long and just could not get get just rolling with confidence on the greens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been a funny one kind of you know, as I've observed closely at the events that that we cover at CBS, I mean I don't see anything necessarily wrong with the stroke or the technique or where he's striking the putt on the face. He's been hitting a lot of putts that you know, with two or three feet to go, it's got a good chance and it just burns by the edge or maybe it's a hair firm or it comes up, you know, one roll short. But they all look like they've got a shot to go in with a few feet to go. So kind of weird that he's in this stretch where it's just not quite happening for him on the greens, but I don't see I don't see anything glaring in you know, from a technical aspect, it just seems to be one of those runs that are tough to explain in golf where the balls is not dropping.
Speaker 1: Right now that's watching him on Saturday, I thought it was insane. I mean, he has so many good putts, and he had a couple couple like pretty pretty rough flipouts in terms of just like how does that not go?
Speaker 2: In?
Speaker 1: A couple that burned the edge? In every round he played this week, it felt like, God, I think that was as high as he could have shot, you know, and it's just like one of those like I felt like, I feel like like last year that was a tournament he wins by six or seven shots, and it's like in the discourses, how does that? How's anybody going to beat this guy? And for whatever reason, this year it's just been, you know, the ball striking hasn't been there for a couple of weeks and that's let him down. And in the big high stakes moment, you I mean, you go back to Shittacock kind of coming down the stretch and and surprisingly it's his ball striking that lets him down, and then this week it's his putter, and all in all, it's it's I you know, yeah, I didn't think you would get here with any player after Tiger, really, but it's the end of the year and the fact that he didn't win one of these is crazy to me, given how many chances he had, given the the level that his game is at even in an off year where he's still head and shoulders better than everybody, and you know, it's just remarkable that we sit at that end of the year, and in a way, I think it makes it a little him a little bit more of a compelling character in the game that he didn't get one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it sure does build the anticipation for the Masters next year because we know how well he's played there in the past. But it's just been a case of, you know, he hasn't quite been able to put it all together at a tournament for a few months now. We've spoken many times about how high his floor is and that's why he just seems to be in the top ten every time he puts a team in the ground. But yeah, I think you're very accurate there where, you know, for a few months now, the ball striking hasn't quite been a shop is what he would like. But his short game was giving him the opportunity to still have a chance to win on Sunday. But that kind of flipped here this week. I'm just looking at the stats now and this just is going right off the open app So take that for what you will. But stroke's going off the t seventh and approach fourth. So I mean that kind of shows like how well he was hitting the ball, but the putting, you know, he's losing strokes for the week on the greens and so once again, you know, it hasn't quite been able to get firing on all cylinders. But still with nine ers to play, I had a shot, a shot to win another major.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's what do you think of his drop on seventeen?
Speaker 2: Gosh, it felt awkward. I mean it felt awkward, you know, such a difficult shot. First of all, I mean, he's got a severe upsloping lie. He knows he's got to push it to make something happen, and he decides to go for it. I saw that he said afterwards that you know, in a normal situation where he didn't have to push, he would never have hit a wood and gone for the green from that lie he's got the huge dune in front of him and went way to the left. I think he said it clipped something on top of the hill and kind of deflected it to the left. It was pretty confusing, I would say for fans watching to try and understand what was going on. You saw people looking for the ball left of the hospitality, and then they stopped looking. He had a provisional, you know, before he got down there, and then next thing he's taking a drop and he's hitting, and the graphics it's his third shot and everyone's like, WHOA, what's going on here? But I guess. I mean, the rule is pretty clear cut regarding Tio's temporary movable obstructions and those all outlined, and the bowl was deemed to have gone in there and pretty good break. Pretty good break.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was it, didn't you know. I I think this was a big week for the rules. Uh to the Brice and situation statement, I guess where I think, like, I don't think Scotty Scheffler did anything wrong, and in the moment, as a competitor, you're trying to do everything you can to get yourself the best ruling you can where I would sit as as someone watching it. It doesn't feel right to demand people to stop looking for your ball because where if there, if you find your ball, you drop in a much worse place that just like a like in a vacuum. I get like I've told people in my tournament, don't look for the ball. I've told people like, do not look for the ball because you know, I don't want to find it and I'm just going to play my lost ball provisional, you know, in that situation with how many people at the end of a major championship, to me, it's really silly that you can assume that something went into TiO area not find the ball, and if you find the ball and it sounds like where they found the ball, the drop would have been much worse situation. And to me, it just doesn't feel really in the spirit of the game with with how it all unfolded. Where he got to drop in an area that frankly he did not hit a shot anywhere near, and it gave him basically the chance to attempt a heroic shot which he did not pull off at whatsoever, and then get the reward of if he would have just laid up. Yeah, you know, and I think that from a sense of like the rules and I think this is it's just we're at an interesting point with the Bryson thing, and we'll get into the Bryson thing, but like, you know, I I think, like, yeah, in the spirit of the game has always been the players, you know, are are gentlemen and they do this and that. But with how high the stakes are coming down in a major championship, I just thought that that was a little you know, while completely by the rules, completely by the rule book, it was not in the spirit of competition and and really the game and protecting the field that he was awarded a drop and also could simultaneously tell people to stop looking for the golf ball because if it's found, he knows he's going to get a drop in a worse spot, which tells me he knew the ball, where the ball was and where you know, everybody knew where it was and where he should be dropping. But because it wasn't found, you know, it just doesn't make any sense to me.
Speaker 2: No, Look, did it did it feel did it feel awkward? Absolutely? Did he do anything wrong? Not?
Speaker 1: Now? Uh?
Speaker 2: And you know, in that case, he had the walking rules official right there with him, talking him through the whole situation and letting him know what his options were. But yeah, it did feel a bit funny, and it'll be interesting to see if the USG and the RNA look at this moving forward with their big championships. Obviously that affects the PGA Tour, the dp World, to all other tours around the world because they operate by the RNA rules and the USGA rules, and so yeah, I mean, it's just a tough one because you've got these massive tournaments with championships with huge buildouts for the fans to encourage people to come out and watch and support and sponsor hospitality and all that, and you try and get it as close to the action as you can so people can can really feel a part of it and enjoy the experience. And you know this, this is just part of it. It's one of the things that you have to deal with.
Speaker 1: Do you think just you know, this could be this is across the board, and do you think TiO drop areas are appropriate the way they're generally staged across the world of golf, which TiO is temporary and movable objects, So that would be like a grandstand. Do you think across the world of golf, the TiO drops are generally fair with what typically happens with them.
Speaker 2: I can't think. I think whether it's fair or not is.
Speaker 1: Do they protect the field? Actually? Is the better question?
Speaker 2: Well, if everybody's playing by the same rules, then it is it is in essence protecting the field because everybody has got the same option and chance to use that drop zone. What I was going to say was, you know, if they if they hit it into one of these areas, I can't think of another way to do it. You know, with these massive grandstands and hospitality that surround a lot of these areas, I just can't think of another way to do it.
Speaker 1: I guess by by only solution. I think the Open does actually a pretty good job of this the drop zone, especially if you if you've set your your structures back appropriately, and I don't think this is always the case. In some places it's really hard to have a lot of space. I think the drop zone should be extremely uh places that you you should not want to be just generally that should be the general thought process when you're when you're painting out a drop zone. Yeah, this is this is a spot of bother because if you hit it into the stands, it's it's generally a bad shot and it shouldn't be there. Shouldn't be. And I don't think Scotty was ever using this as a bailout. But he hit an objectively awful shot and got a huge reward because it would ended up in in a spectator area.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know he did. He did, there's no denying that. Uh. I feel that, you know, every venue is going to present different opportunities of where these drop zones could be, and so even there it's going to be like subjective ast. You know, what is the worst spot where it's tough.
Speaker 1: It depends on the whole location on a day too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's just it's it's just it's one of the it's one of the little knocks or one of the little negative aspects of you know, coming down the stretch in a massive tournament that's meaningful, something like this can happen. But unless you get away from having hospitality, uh, which would be a very bold call, man, I don't think it's I don't think you can avoid it. I think it's just something we have to to learn. The stomach.
Speaker 1: It would have been something that if he had made birdie on eighteen, it would have I don't it would have maybe the Briceon situation while we're here, while we're on rules, rules, this would be.
Speaker 2: A possible of the show right here.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, you know, we're we're talking about what happened, and these are the big stories. Bryce it de Shabou is given a two stroke penalty for improving his lie on Friday night after he played a spectacular round of golf that you know, he lifts himself into the final pairing of Saturday. After play, they deemed that he improved his lie on the fifth hole while he was in a big area of tall grass. You know, really the way the wording from the RNA was accidental. There was thick rough and while he was you know, kind of evaluating the shot, it appeared that he stepped on some grass that was in his back swing and that would have matted it down and enabled them an easier swing. What did you think of the whole situation? Uh?
Speaker 2: You know, the first thing I want to say is, you know, as fans, we've known Bryceon for more than a decade now, and you think about when he won the US Senator in twenty fifteen. Standout college player broke through the ranks quite quickly, won a whole host of tournaments all over, including a couple of US Opens. I think it's important to acknowledge and have on the record that in all those years, which is more than ten, has been a polarizing figure in the sport, very well known, well documented, and popular and had a large following. And in all that time, I don't know about you, but I have never seen or read or heard anything about him being cavalier with the rules in any way, shape or form. I think that's important to know. Interstate. He seems to have great respect and honor for the game and for the rules of it. And so do I think it was it was accidental? I do. Do I think that the penalty was probably fair? Yeah, I probably do. It just seemed like the way he went in there, there was there was what's the best way to say this, It seemed like there was a distinct possibility that he was he had created some room for his backswing, and so you know, at the end of the day, it's just like any sport, you know, in this case, the RNA is govern the rules for the week. I can promise you they didn't take this lightly. They were probably stewing over it. You know what, what was that the fifth hole, if I'm not mistaken correct, So they were probably steering over it for a couple hours, looking at all the different angles of video, and and that was that was their conclusion, and that was their decision. I mean, there's there's there's nothing more than what you can say about it at that point. You know it did it look awkward from the angles that we all saw. The grass was so high that, you know, he was taking big high steps and and stuff was getting trampled down. It was, it was. It was tough one and and obviously everything that happened in and around that, the debating back and forth, the players not being able to put their cards in, and the tee times being delayed coming out, it was a bit of a mess there towards the end of Saturday evening, which is a little bit of a unfortunate and disappointing because it was such a great day of golf. I mean, we saw some amazing golf, and even Bryson himself, the way he finished round three and some of the shots he hit the birdies he made at fifteen and seventeen or shall I say no, I got to go back this What.
Speaker 1: Round was round too?
Speaker 2: Was round two?
Speaker 1: Eighteen?
Speaker 2: Yeah, eighteen, seventeen and eighteen. Sorry I I clicked the wrong round there. Yeah, he birdied eleven, seventeen and eighteen, and then everything kind of went sideways with the penalty. It was just super awkward, man. But at the end of the day, you know, the RNA is is, they're in charge of the rules for the week, and they've decided it's a penalty, and there's there's just not much eCos after that.
Speaker 1: I thought, I I think it was a tricky situation and one of the things we'll never know. And I think it maybe and this could be good for good in the in the long run for Bryson, or bad in the long run for Bryson, whatever. The RNA might have a different camera angle than everybody else had.
Speaker 2: Possibly just nobody knows.
Speaker 1: Nobody knows, and and that's kind of an organization that's gonna put stuff under lock and key. And in a way, I think it's interesting when you zoom out on like the RNA and what they've what they've done over the years, you know, whether it was the they did kind of the surprise driver test years ago and popped like a dozen players on the eve of the Open with with hot drivers. I think they gave Decki a pace of play warning at mirror or penalty at mirfield when he was in the mix in the in in the hunt years ago. I think they've gone about they tend to. And one of the things I wonder about is if if deep down they don't like the way that players the players their behavior around golf balls. And I think this is something as uh someone that I someone that you know that goes to tournaments and watches inside the ropes very close up. Sometimes I wonder, I'm like, is that the way you should be, you know with a ball, you know, with a with a lie in the way that that the players, I think it's I think players have become very casual with the way they treat a golf ball that's not in the fair way, just in general. And something I noticed just on television was they they hit Bryson with this penalty and the rest of the weekend I saw a completely different behavior of players around golf balls and thick rough than I usually see the way that they walked, and it was so evident. Early on on Saturday, Scotty and Bryson hit it virtually in the same spot behind the second second green into the thicker, you know, thicker rough there, and I don't think I've ever seen those two players act more careful around golf balls as they were sitting up to make sure they weren't, you know, they weren't going to move. And I think like in a way, the enforcement of of of this rule we have not seen really administered by any any tournament organization for years, and I think potentially this was a signal of the RNA to say this rule should be enforced more often, because this is bringing to light that this I think this stuff happens. I think it happens a lot around around the world of golf, and it should be policed much more. Whether it's the act of I'm never going to hit a three wood out of this lie, but I'm going to put the three wood down behind the ball when I'm in the thick rough and look and act like I'm going to hit the three wood and then pull out an iron. You know, everybody knows what they're doing there, and I think like just in general, the idea of, like everybody, if you're in playing competitive golf, you're more hyper aware of what you're doing in your surroundings, in your in your situation that maybe in any other pursuit in in the world. The the awareness that you have those four hours, like the or five hours you're out there, and I just felt like, I feel like guys know exactly what they're doing. And I think I don't think like I think the game's gotten to a point again, I don't think that this is viewed as a problem on tour because it's gotten so casual.
Speaker 2: I would push back a little bit. I don't think it's fair to say it happens a lot. I would say, you know, it's few and far between. Maybe the rule needs to be clarified even more, and players need to know exactly how close they can get, where exactly they can stand. I mean, remember when the rule was adjusted recently about caddies lining you up and when they could stand behind you and at what point they needed to be clear of that zone. Maybe there's something like that that needs to be clarified with you know, because I saw a lot of people online talking about, oh, that's his routine, he stands behind it. But you know, if you're standing that close to the ball behind it to where you're in lung grass and you're flattening out an area to be able to make a back or have a cleaner approach to the ball, that's obviously a problem. And uh, and so maybe that needs to be really clarified for these guys a little bit more when they get get out of position like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so, you know, I would. The thing that gets me is is the behavior with the ball and the rough sometimes, you know, just I mean, how many times do you see people with a bad lie in the in the in the rough around the greens, and like by the time they're hitting the ball, it's like, oh, it doesn't look as bad because they've sold so many wedges down behind the ball. It's like, how, I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look it's risky. Now, it's risky. The most important thing in our sport is is your reputation, and that kind of stuff really can leave a pretty nasty mark on you for the rest of your career. And that's why, you know, I really wanted to make sure that I said that about Bryson before. Was I mean, this guy has got, you know, more than a decade of experience at the highest level, and we've never really ever mentioned anything like this with him before, and so you know, it's something you've got you've got to be a little bit gentle with because you just don't want to be tarnished in that way with our sport. And nowadays, you know, these cameras all over the place, not just the official cameras of the tournament and the broadcasting network, but the majority of the fans. You know, you look at any of these pictures now of guys hitting these fabulous shots down the stretch. I mean pretty much everybody in the crowd's holding up a phone and they're videoing what's going on, and so there's so many different views and angles of of all these different shots that, yeah, I mean, you better make sure that you're keeping everything squeaky clean. And I thought that Scotty Chef Laughter's round yesterday made a very good point. He said, you know, everybody kind of knows where the rules are, and you try and stay as clear as far away from that edge as you can. I mean, you just you don't want to ever allow any gray area. And I thought that was a very good point to make. And you know the other thing. The other thing about it, Andy, is we haven't heard Bryson's side because he refuses to speak to the media for some reason. And so it would have been great after all of this we watched it all go down, and we heard the RNA's point of view and their adjudication on the matter, so to speak, and their clarification as to why he was getting a two stroke penalty. It would have been nice for us to hear from Bryson, understand his point of view, and then go from there. But I don't think it's helped that he has kept quiet and not wanted to go on the record with anybody, because when you do that, then you know, people's imagination can just run wild and they can say whatever they want and there's no distinct two points of view that you can then operate between.
Speaker 1: I would wholly agree with that. You know, that's a situation where I think you would want to talk about what happened. I think it would be advantageous to be like, hey, I was just walking, I was trying to just look at it by lie you know, you know, it's tall grass, like a lot of ways to play play that off, you know, in a way, like I think that I think by not talking, he actually kind of puts himself more in like this is not fair, right, but it makes you appear more guilty by not stating your case to the further point, like and I just want to I don't think any anybody, you know, Like, I don't think anybody thinks they're they're gaining an advantage on tour or at tournaments with what I'm talking about with their kind of bed manner around the golf ball. But I I think that just in general, more there should be more care around the golf ball. And and you can agree or disagree with this, and I know this, you know, but I think that a lot of the blame of this whole situation lies around the tours that administer the rules week in week out. As to why we got to where we got with the Bryson situation, you know, is that I can't remember the last time that there was ever this, Like, I don't think I've ever heard of the tour in the ten years that I covered the sport penalizing someone for improving their lie. And are you telling me that in ten years nobody's improved nobody's even come close to improving their lie and it's a self policing sport and like that to me is crazy, right, So to me, a certain part of this needs to be This should be a rule, This should be administered regularly, and there should be I don't I think there should be situations of this happening. It shouldn't be a big deal when it happens too, because this happens. Everybody's played golf where they know they put their club down in a situation you're like, ah, that lies looks a little bit better than it looked before.
Speaker 2: But where is the.
Speaker 1: Nash?
Speaker 2: I just I hate gray area? Mm hmmm, and where where where is the line that you're going to draw? I mean, a player is I'm obviously not advocating for anyone improving their life. Obviously I'm not advocating for that, but a player is allowed to ground their club before making a stroke, and gosh, it seems like that's going to open up a can of worms right there. Man.
Speaker 1: It's tricky, But like this is this is my point. Do you think that like this has never happened in ten years and that's like the the issue, Like it's because nobody wants to be uncomfortable, and the only reason is un comble is because it never happens.
Speaker 2: You should run for office.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't think I don't think the players on tour would like myself point on a lot of things. But but you know, this is, this is the thing I that you know, the next time, next time we see somebody going the rough and they they ground the soul of a fairway wood, you know, behind the ball to see if they could hit three wood from a terrible lie in the rough, which you see every single week on tour, every single week, and it's like, oh no, I'm going back to iron. That person never thought once about hanging three wood from that lie. It's clear as day what they're doing. And everybody who's ever played golf at a moderately high level knows what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, once again, every single week is prob maybe a stretch. Does it happen? Yeah, sure it probably does. Who knows how many times in a year of golf on a profession two Uh. But then fans maybe maybe it's maybe it's up to the fans.
Speaker 1: Maybe the should be up to the fans. It should be up to the players. It's the end of the day. At the end of the day, nobody wants to police this stuff.
Speaker 2: It's not nobody does, and it's.
Speaker 1: So if the players can't police it, then then it's up to the tour and there are rules officials to actually start making some rulings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 1: And that's why I respect about the RDA is they looked at it and they said, hey, this is what we think happened.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. Yeah, I mean no, she would just hope that everybody is it is trying to protect the field and do what's right. It's one of the beauties of our sport, is that self pleasing aspect. I kind of don't even want to think about it, Like I don't want to let my mind go in a direction of thinking that this is happening, you know, left right and center. I don't see it happening left right and center. If if if if I was on a on on a broadcast and I saw a player doing that, I would say something immediately on the air. So yeah, you know, maybe I don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. It's uh, it's an awkward topic. Uh, And I think like one of the lasting stories from this this open will be I mean, there nobody's gonna forget what happened to Bryson. And I think, like the fact that happened to Bryson is like a whole another piece of this of Like, you know, he's kind of he like over the course of his career, he's had rules, like he's done things. What was it he was putting a certain way and then all of a sudden the putting I can't remember exactly the way he was putting. That putting style was outlawed a couple of weeks later. Like you know, you think about like his He's had numerous situations like this, and I think, like I'm not saying I don't think the RNA necessarily singled him out, but over the history of his career, it does feel like he gets singled out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, was that when he was doing the side settle.
Speaker 1: H m hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I Mean, look, one thing we know about him is he thinks outside the box and he tries to figure out the best way for him to get the ball in the hall as fast as possible. I mean, nobody, nobody at this level of the game tried to, you know, really increase the power and speed and hit it as far as what he was through that COVID period as well. I mean, he's, look, he's willing to to take some some some risks when it comes to improving his game and improving his skill set and thinking outside the bucks. But yeah, because he's he's so polarizing and so popular in our sport, it brought it brought a lot of attention to it, didn't it?
Speaker 1: Did it? Did? It was just honestly I think, I mean, this is he's going to talk about it at some point and it's going to become a story again. And obviously with where he sat on the leader board, it was, you know, a huge story and who knows if you replay it. But like then, all the energy he expended that night probably on it couldn't have helped the chances of him the rest of the tournament. To segue here, I'm curious about about something, your thoughts on something. So this is a very interesting statistic. By next year's Masters, there will be no major champion under the age of thirty.
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 1: Kala Morrikawa is the youngest and he turns thirty in February, So by next year's Masters, we will not have a major champion, anyone who's won a major. Yeah, that is under the age of thirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you got to think that's going to change at some point. Here is soon ish, you know, there's a lot of there's a lot of uh, great youngsters that are coming through. I mean, what do you think about that step people get old?
Speaker 1: Andy, Well, I just think it's it's so it's counter you know golf. I wrote about this with Bryson, you know, in the sense that like he had no form, he was filming YouTube videos. I wrote this after the first round, and then he comes out and he plays a great round. He's squarely in the mix when everybody thought he had no chance, like the discourse, and I think, like overall, the sport is getting younger. Statistically, the sport is getting younger. Yeah. What I find fascinating is, like, you know, three years ago, it was oh, there's gonna be it's gonna be a matter of time before like thirty three years old and you're considered over the hill. And I think people were saying that, like you're thirty three years old, you're over the hill. And here we are a couple of years later, and there's nobody under the age of thirty with a I just think.
Speaker 2: The runway is long to now because guys get better, faster, you know, earlier on in their twenties, and then they had a longer runway. You know. It's it's it's interesting. It's an interesting stat. But think about before next year's master how many guys have won majors in their twenties of the last decade A ton You think about you know, j T and Speech and Scottie and you know, wrong a lot of guys.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I haven't really formulated what I think about it. I just think it's it's kind of a mesmerizing stat given the dominant discourse of the sport has been this youth wave for years, and it's I don't know if it's the you know, you know, obviously you have like someone like Cameron Young, who's got five top four finishes in majors. He's twenty eight years old, right, and he almost won this one. Sam Burns is you know, I think he's just about to be thirty or he's twenty nine. He obviously was very very close and I wanted to talk about him this year. The thing I've seen is I don't think there's We've had a ton of.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 1: Next wave of young players hasn't had their breakout moment yet.
Speaker 2: No, no, but you got to anticipate that it's going to be coming at some point.
Speaker 1: I mean my question would be if you said, you know, under the age of twenty six, who's the best player in the sport? I think it's like a complete toss up.
Speaker 2: Who would you go with? Got her up?
Speaker 1: I mean, got her up's twenty six, right? Or's he twenty five?
Speaker 2: Mm? Not exactly sure, we can figure that twenty seven? Is he twenty seven?
Speaker 1: So you know, you start to get down. It's you know, it's like the Michael thorpe Jornsen ok Shay. Okshay might be the most accomplished player oberg Obrah twenty six. Oh he is Tom Kim.
Speaker 2: Tom Kim's back on the map after that great win in Scotland. How about this youngster from South Africa, Casey Jarvis, who's finished type for six can be pretty coral.
Speaker 1: President President's Cup guy.
Speaker 2: Could be I'm sure Jeff's got his eye on him. Won a couple of times on the DP World Tour this year. That's a huge that's a huge finish for him, type for six, great weekend, sixty well lost three rounds sixty seven, sixty eight, sixty six the last three round. That's pretty cool. East season his early twenties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think that's the thing about it is like nobody's done the big leap.
Speaker 2: All do the hoydguysh.
Speaker 1: Twenty five, twenty six, Yeah, you know, Yeah, It's it's just you know, we I think we got accustomed to like the speef JT. You know, early when Colin Morikawa.
Speaker 2: Rory Rory, Rory rieled off four majors pretty quickly in his twenty early twenties, mid and early twenties.
Speaker 1: And it could just be that the guys that are thirty are are you know, this was just a generational post Tiger era of golf that had just incredible talents, and you know, I think there could be things Like the other aspect of it is, I think majors are more important than they've ever bet and and maybe that's a piece of it. It's like, you know, it's hard enough to win a signature event, and maybe that's part of it too. You know, I've thrown a lot of things out here, but I find it. I find it. It's like a fascinating thing to think about. Do signature events make it so much harder for a young player to win, to get that first win once they've earned their way in there, because then they have to beat Scottie Rory, like Cameron Young, they have to beat the best players in the world. That it actually stunts their growth as a player because they don't get that first first big win. You know, could that be a piece of it? And then they just you know, to get across the line a major makes it more difficult.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got to say I didn't feel that way at all because I think, and actually even even Ryan Fox mentioned this post winning yesterday, the ability to be able to be out here on the PGA, to play against the best weekend and week out is what it drives you. I mean, it's sink or swim, and and so I I think it's better for players to have the opportunity to compete against the best. I mean, I think back to myself when you know, I was top fifty in the world at some point in two thousand and two, so I'm twenty two years old at that moment, and you know, back then we used to have world golf events, right, and so it was the same as sort of a signature event where all the best would convene and you would play, and you know, I'm going up against Ernie and Tiger and VJ and Duval and David Toms and you Davis Love, you go down the list, Phil and so at that particular moment in time, and myself, Adam, Scott, j f Ogilviy, Sergio, Luke Donald like we're having to find a way to swim in deep water, and the majority of us did. So I actually think that's good for you as an athlete because you have a very very crystal clear understanding of what you're going to need if you want to be able to compete. So I actually see that as a positive. And if the PGA Tour does go ahead, and it appears like they're going to with this new structure and the Championship Series has one hundred and twenty man fields, you know it's going to give a few more opportunities to some guys to go ahead and try and break through, or to get that close to the sun, if you know what I mean to where they're playing against Scottie and Rory and Fleetwood and all these different guys mark Kaua week in and week out and really get a clear understanding of what it takes in order to be successful at that level.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm I'm curious how this this goes, like what the trends do. But you know, when you start to list off who you expect to win the next majors, it's been a long time since, like you know, the first player, like you know Cameron Young will be, but like there hasn't been that twenty five, twenty six year old that's just rattled off right in that first bucket of players.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you mentioned Cameron Young. Do you think he'll would have major next year?
Speaker 1: I you know, I don't know. I don't know how you feel about like the Ludwig performance, but you know, I'll use it as a way to talk about Cameron Young too, because I think people get very hard on people who don't win majors when they're in the mix. And to me, all the whole the whole game is getting yourself into the spot where you have the potential to play the back nine that Ryan Fox played and win the tournament.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And the more times you put yourself in there, It's kind of the Rory quote at LACC. I think about it all the time. I'd take one hundred sundays like this. You know, you know that's the game. The game is to be there in the mix. And I think when you put yourself there routinely, like Cameron Young, like Ludwig, the chances are way more likely that you're going to get one then you're going to be Lee Westwood at the end of your career.
Speaker 2: Right yeah, Eventually a putt is going to get hot on that Sunday and.
Speaker 1: You go, I mean, like to think about think about Rory uh and it. If you think about Rory at Pinehurst, the back nine until sixteen and eighteen, he finally made the putts that didn't drop at Saint Andrews, at la At, you could go down the list all the that finally, like in the middle of that back nine he made he holds some just great putts that like those fifteen footers that didn't go in, and then he misses the two shorter putts coming down the stretch that cost him the tournament. But you think about that, it was like that tournament he won, he won it at it, but then he lost it, right and that was after years of having the same being in the same position and coming up short because the putts didn't go in, Like you just have to be there, and it's you know, you give people crap, like people are so quick to oh this is this is a choke. One guy wins. There are twelve guys at some point on Sunday yesterday that you were like, this guy might win. This one guy gets to win. So did those eleven others choke? No, you know, they just fell up, came up short, and only one person. That's the unique thing about golf, right, It's not like the World Cup where you have to beat one person in front of you each way and it's like, oh, we just got a bad batch up, Like you know, the reality with golf is like only one guy gets to lift the trophy and everybody else is thinking about all the shots that they didn't pull off that cost him not lifting the trophy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I mean, I'm a huge fan of Cameo. I think it's a matter of time for him, Like he has got it all, man, He's got it all. He's got every single aspect of the game, the demeanor, even the way he handled that eighteenth hole when he hit the lip and he just puts the club behind his neck like there's no no, no whining or you know, stumping of his feet there. Thought he handled that whole situation like a champ and then almost hold the bunker shot to save par and then made a great four foot for the bogie. I'm I'm a huge fan of his. I think it's a matter of time before he gets gets it going.
Speaker 1: The demeanor inside the ropes is really something. He just unflappable, right, Like you go out watch him and you might he might be shooting seventy six or sixty two, you know, and he looks the same way inside the ropes.
Speaker 2: It's you know, and that's something he's had to work on, by the way. I mean, I remember probably two or three years ago, he had a chance to win in Detroit coming down the stretch. I was part of the broadcast there, and he didn't handle it well. He didn't handle it well, coughing up the lead and eventually not winning, and I remember calling him out for it. And so that's clearly something that he really has worked on and improved as he's gotten a little older. And I just don't see I just don't see any any real weaknesses with him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's I mean Tea Green, He's gonna win it open. He hits it too damn good to not win it open you anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean now that he now that he seems to have solidified and found some consistency with the putting at that point. At that point, you can win any of them. It doesn't matter what the golf course looks like.
Speaker 1: Did you have any other any other uh parting thoughts here from the for the turb.
Speaker 2: Well, I thought it was awesome. Uh. I love the Open, I love the history and tradition, I love Links golf. It was great to be on site for a few days and so get get the feel for it. You know. I gave Casey Jarvis a shout out already a couple other guys I'd like to give a shout out to see what Kim he had a He had a good shot deep into the tournament and unfortunately didn't quite work out at the end. But that was that was good to see from him. He's another guy that I think has the ability to to win a major championship. Uh. And then I thought it was kind of cool from Adam scott You know, he turned forty six during the week and received an award from the RNA earlier in the week as well for everything he's done for the sport in the way he's conducted himself, and and then a nice sixty six on Sunday to finish in the top ten. That's so that's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very cool. Didn't You didn't get to see a lot of them, the way the nature of of where where he started and and and what was going on. But I mean another another Wikipedia yellow for him too. Yeah, you know, yeah, look at that that That chart is unbelievable to look at. How about the President's Cup eight Internationals at the top fourteen of the of the Open. Did you see that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course I saw that. It's been an exciting couple of weeks for US with Tom Kim winning at the Scottish Open. You know, in a lot of ways he was kind of on the outside looking in, and then in the last month or so its started to rarely show some great form, had a had a sniff of it at the US Open, eventually finished third there and then continued that with the winning Scotland. So huge couple of weeks for him and for us, obviously he's got President's Cup experience, he's he's somebody that in that environment seems to thrive on it and enjoy it. And then Ryan Fox winning the Open, now that's that's absolutely massive. It's going to be fun to to see him in the team. He's been knocking on the door for a while. And uh, it's going to be great to have, you know, somebody on our team at Medina who's a current major champion in the year, so looking forward.
Speaker 1: To that, you'll have as many current major champions as the as the Americans have.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right, because the Europeans have got to so Wyndham will be there as the US Open champion.
Speaker 1: It's uh, we're you got Chicago all all behind the international team.
Speaker 2: I think, well, could you work on that for us please?
Speaker 1: And I'm working.
Speaker 2: I want now that you've moved back home, you know, get get all the troops, get all the troops behind the black and yellow.
Speaker 1: I got a lot of people asking me for tickets, and I said one thing, if I if I get your tickets, you got root for the international team.
Speaker 2: That's it. That's it. That it's on the back of the ticket.
Speaker 1: All right, Trevor, We'll talk to you sometimes, dude. As always. This is uh, this is quite fun breaking down the majors with you, and uh look forward to look forward to my medina and uh talking to you at some point around around that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's great to join you guys again.
Speaker 1: Thanks all right, big thanks to Trevor as always for coming on, and big thanks to our staff at Friday Golf, Brendan and Kevin were on site. Joseph made an advanced scouting mission to Birkdale. Everybody on this team provided awesome insights, whether it was on our live blog, through our newsletters or podcasts. Big thanks to our entire team, and big thanks to PJ Clark for putting in the hours, producing a lot of audio and adding a lot of insights across the week. Big thanks to PJ. We'll be back next week. I think we might have Ryan Fox coming on one of our platforms. I would guess it will be on the Shotgun Start. It sounds like that might be worked out, so check that out there. And big thanks to all the listeners for coming with us. Major season stick around. We'll have a lot of other great pods the rest of the year. And what a year