Speaker 1: International authorities shut down a major botnet. How to check if your machine has the affected malware. Your Android devices are going to be part of a massive new finding network. What you need to know about that a new smart watch for kids might be exactly what the parents ordered. Plus your tech questions answered? What's going on on richdmiro And this is Rich on Tech. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe that tech should be interesting, useful and fun. Phone lines are open at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. If you'd like to be on the show, give me a call. If you have a question about technology, email is also open. Just go to Rich on tech dot tv. That's Rich on tech dot tv and hit the contact link. You can send me an email. I may read it on the show or answer your question.
Speaker 2: Guests.
Speaker 1: This week, we've got JP Schmetz, CEO of Ghoste. He is a digital privacy expert, and he's going to discuss tools, browsers, AI privacy and legislation like the American Privacy Rights Act and Later in the show, we've got a Neil Subberwall of Google Fitbit. He's going to discuss the company's new connected smartwatch for kids, the Fitbit.
Speaker 2: Ace LT Well, I'm.
Speaker 1: So glad that you joined me today for real news about technology. Here's the thing that happens to me all week long. I feel like I'm putting out tech fires. There are so many news sources. There are so many reels, There are so many tiktoks, there are so many headlines, there are so many instagrams stories, There is so much information floating around out there. What do most people do They read the headlines? What do most headlines do? They entice you with some sort of information that makes you want to click. Now, that is the logical web that we live in these days. You have to get people to click. There are many ways you can get your information. But I feel like half of my job is literally telling people the real story behind things. So people will come up to me and they'll say, hey, Rich, did you see how while that situation was with the w blop blup? And I say, well, let me explain what's really happening there. There are so many reels that people send me on a daily basis through Instagram, and it's always some kind of secret hidden feature on the iPhone or something that can make your Gmail work better or something who knows. It's also nonsensical. So what I try to do with my report sorts is try to help you understand the tech news that you need to know and also give you the actual information. It is so easy to say that Facebook is evil, or that Google is horrible, or that TikTok is bad, but let's get the real story behind things. And one of those real stories this week is with Google. So last week Google introduced something called AI overviews. This is kind of like an AI search overview of what you're looking for. So this is something that I was testing for many, many months. It's very helpful when you search for something on Google, at the top of your results will be sort of an AI generated summary that can really help you understand the answer that you're looking for. Google also has something called featured snippets, and these are kind of like little snippets of websites, the text of a website that might give you the answer you're looking for. So if you say something like what temperature do I need to cook a steak? To it might show you a featured snippet from a website about grilling steak and saying steak should be cooked to this temperature, and you say, oh, I got the answer.
Speaker 2: It's done. It's easy.
Speaker 1: I see that it's from the Weber website. I trust them. Okay, let's move on with life. AI overviews are very similar, except it takes a bunch of information and sort of synthesizes that into a little answer, kind of like CHATGBT, but for your search result. So what happened was a lot of people started asking Google when this thing went wide to everyone. They rolled it out to many millions of people over the past week. Well, people started getting really interesting answers, But did they That's the thing that Google now disputes. So Google has come out with an entire blog post about this. So people are posting all kinds of screenshots of odd and infactual overviews that Google had purportedly returned. Turns out a lot of those were faked screenshots. And here's the other thing about surfing the web these days and being on social media, it's really getting tough to figure out what's real and what's fake. Even reputable news organizations these days, will post a click baity headline and there might be some truth to it, but you have to dig really hard to find out what the true answer is. So, for instance, in my newsletter this week, I talked about malware that is masquerading as VPN software on computers, and in my newsletter, I actually give you the names of the VPN software that you should be searching for and the actual instructions on how to search it. It's very simple, it's very straightforward, and I feel like that's the best information that the average person should have instead of scaring them and saying they need to bring their computer in or stop using your computer. Here's how you figure it out. And if you can't figure it out using the instructions I give you, well take it to someone who can ask someone that's younger, like a teenager. They figure out this stuff very quickly. But anyway, back to the Google stuff, So Google said they explained kind of like how this is working. Their AI overviews kind of work differently than a chatbot like open AI because they're not just generating outputs based on training data.
Speaker 2: What they're done.
Speaker 1: What they're doing is they're actually using kind of the core Google search algorithm to come up with trusted websites that generate these AI overviews using high quality links from their index. Well, that means that these AI overviews don't necessarily hallucinate like open AI and chat GBT and all of these AI systems. Do these chatbots hallucinate They make up stuff because what they're really doing is they are just figuring out the next word in a sentence based on millions of sentences that they've seen. So when you say, you know, what's the most popular flavors for ice cream, they look through all of the databases that they have and they've seen that a lot of people have written that the most popular flavors for ice cream are vanilla and chocolate and strawberry, and they will write that up and summarize that. Now, when AI overviews get it wrong, according to Google, it's usually for other reasons. They misinterpret queries, they misinterpret the nuance of language on the web, or they don't have a lot of great information available. Remember that last one, because that's the one that really got this thing into trouble. So Google says that they did test this feature extensively before launch, but when millions of people starting start to use it, well, guess what, you're gonna find some things out about this that you didn't find before. Some of the things that people implied they returned were dangerous results for topics like leaving dogs in cars, smoking while pregnant, and depression. Those AI overviews, Google says, never appeared. So we encourage anyone encountering any sort of screenshots like that to do a search for yourself, which probably a lot of people don't do. They just share it on social media with out actually searching. One example that I saw and a lot of people saw, was how many rocks should I eat now? Prior to these screenshots going viral, Google said, nobody ever asked that question of Google. And so they call this a data void or an information gap. That means there's a limited amount of high quality content about a topic. So what happens. AI overview goes to the one website that it found information about that, and that's what it used to craft its answer. In this case, it might have been a form and there's a lot of good information in there, but sometimes there's less than helpful advice and also sarcastic and trolley content.
Speaker 2: So what to do?
Speaker 1: It cited that content and this is where it got into trouble, Like using glue to get cheese to stick to pizza. Nobody ever asked how do you get cheese to stick to pizza? And nobody ever answered you should use glue except someone in a form and that's what Google sited. So where does this all go. Google can't just go through and fix everything that it thinks people are going to ask, So they have to come up with a framework for this system, and that's what they've done. So they've improved their framework for getting better answers in these AI overviews. So they've built better detection mechanisms for nonsensical queries. So if I say, how many bites does it take to eat a MacBook laptop? Google AI search results is not going to attempt to answer that anymore because it knows that that's just nonsensical. Nobody asks now if you ask how many licks does it take to get to the center of a TUTSI pop? Sure people might ask that, and they might end up answering that. And by the way, do we ever figure out the answer for that? Because that was a commercial that was a part of my childhood for many years, and I think at the end of the commercial. It always ended in a chump, right, Oh, it's four four licks and three licks.
Speaker 2: And then a chump. So that's what happened.
Speaker 1: They've updated their system to limit the use of a of user generated content and response that could offer misleading advice, and they added triggering restrictions for questions where AI overviews were not proving to be helpful, and for topics like news and health they already have strong guardrails in place. For instance, they probably will not show AI overviews for hard news topics because freshness is a big part of questions like that. So when you ask a question about the news something that just happened, yes, Google might have it in its index in Google News, but it might not have made it to the broader index of Google Search, and so the AI overview will not be a good way to answer that. So this is the real story, and that's really what happened. And everyone gave up on Google last week or this week because of these AI overviews. But as we understand, a lot of them were faked, a lot of them were just nonsensical. And yes, you can ask anything in this world a nonsensical question and get a nonsensical answer, so we will see how Google continues to develop. They're AI overviews, but that is the real story, all right. Coming up on today's show, I will tell you how to remove that VPN malware if it is on your computer.
Speaker 2: But first let's take some of your calls.
Speaker 1: Triple eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one.
Speaker 2: My name is Rich Dmiro. This is rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website for the show richontech dot tv. You can send me an email there by hitting the contact link or uh. You can also sign up for my newsletter while you're there, So if you sign up for the newsletter, there's a brand new issue today, just pop in your email address and that is packed with tips, tricks and tech news to know. Of of course, my TV segments as well, so if you want to watch those, you can see them in the newsletter. It's all at richon tech dot tv. If you want links for the show, then in real time, like if you're listening live on the radio, you can go for links at Rich on tech dot tv and just hit the light bulb.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go to.
Speaker 1: Mark in Lomita, California. Mark, You're on with Rich.
Speaker 3: Hey Rich, good morning morning. What do you what brand do you recommend for a car dash cam for like, let's say two hundred dollars in under.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a couple that I've tested that I really like.
Speaker 1: I think it really comes down to kind of what you want and how much you want to pay. So I think that the number one thing to figure out is do you want this to be connected? Like do you want a cellular connection on this? Because if someone were to take the dash cam, they would have all the footage, So the cellular helps you get alerts and also helps you have that footage go to the cloud. Is that something that interests you because those are a little bit more expensive?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like probably not, because I have seen some for like four and five hundred dollars. Yeah, and I just can't pay for that. It has to be like two hundred or under.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So there is a brand new brand. This just came out, And this is a brand that I've tested in the past that I really like. It's called Nexsar.
Speaker 2: Have you seen those?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: I have not.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what I think a good dash cam comes down to. Now, By the way, you can go on Amazon search dash cams and you can find one for forty bucks. Right, So there are many many dash cams out there. I think what really sets apart If you just want to point and shoot kind of camera that's going to be in your car and roll every time you're in there, any of those are gonna work. The real difference, I think comes down to the software. How tough is it to set this thing up? How tough is it to get video off of it when you actually need that video? And I think that's what's going to make some of them a little bit more expensive than the cheap knockoffs. So the big brand a couple of the brands that I like that I've tested, Nextsar, n e x Ar. They just came out with a brand new one called the Beam two dash cam. And what I like about this one is that not only is the software from Nextsar really really good, they have a bunch of different versions of this, so they have you know, that's the other question you need to ask yourself, Mark, do you want the road and the cabin or do you just want the road, because some of these are, you know, dual cameras where it records front and back, so that's another thing to take into consideration. But this one has a sixty four gigabyte model for two hundred dollars, and then you've got a it goes up to three hundred dollars for the for the dual mode one. And then there's also this one does include for two hundred dollars the cellular connection. So there is a monthly fee of ten dollars a month or eight dollars a month if you pay yearly. So that's just one option. They also have other cameras that are not connected, that are just standalone, and I really just like the brand and I like the way that their software works. So Nexstar is one of them.
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 1: The other one that I've tested that I really like is from Vava va Va and so this one i've tested. The software is decent, the camera's good, it's got a nice design, it works really well, and so you can find those for under two hundred dollars. A lot of them are sold out on their website, so I'm not sure what's going on there, but I would check into those. And then the one that gets the brand that keeps coming up over and over and all these sort of like review sites is called Van True v A N T r U E. Now I have not tested that brand personally, but it does come up in a lot of these review sites that people seem to like it. And the other thing to keep in mind is that when you run these dash cams, there is a cable typically and that could get kind of annoying. So just kind of keep a look at how this thing connects. Some of them connect to the oh gosh, what's that port called like the OBD port or whatever it's called.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: So that's like, you know, that's the left.
Speaker 1: Of your of your steering wheel down below by the you know, the gears and all that stuff, or the you know, the gas pedal.
Speaker 2: So that's one way.
Speaker 1: Other way another way they connect is just going into like what used to be called the cigarette lighter. I guess they call it what the the power port, right, right, whatever that thing's called these days, right, the uh you know, so you just have to remember, like, you know, the running the cable could also be an issue. But you know, a lot of them come with tools in the box to help you run it along your dash, down the side of the door and then over.
Speaker 2: So those are a couple of brands.
Speaker 1: The other websites I would check out that I like is Wirecutter if you've heard of them. They they were a great independent site. They were bought by the New York Times, but they still do some pretty good reviews.
Speaker 2: I would check them.
Speaker 1: And then the other one is best Reviews dot com, which is owned by the parent company of the TV station I work for. But those are some good places to start. It will all be linked up on the website rich on Tech dot tv. Thanks for the call. Mark eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to.
Speaker 2: Two four one zero one.
Speaker 1: I hope you're having a fantastic day. So this week, the US, along with some international partners and authorities, took down a major major botnet. This is the nine to eleven S five botnet. This was active from May twenty fourteen to July twenty twenty two, and then it came back again in October twenty twenty three. So this thing has been around for a very long time. It compromised over nineteen million computers globally.
Speaker 2: What does that mean.
Speaker 1: It means that all of these people downloaded software to their computer that they thought would do one thing, but it was actually turning their computer into a secret zombie. That this, you know, these bad actors could use to carry out crimes, and they used it to carry out cyber crimes and fraud and harassment and all kinds of things because it looked like, you know, these computers at big companies, right, they can detect when they're seeing fraud because it comes from registered IP addresses that they sort of know. It's like a block of IPS that they say, Okay, this looks odd, but when it comes from your computer in your house, it does not look odd. And we're seeing this kind of attack happening more and more, and so the FBI took this down and they put instructions on the web to help people figure out if they were running this VPN software. That's what it was, if they're running this VPN malware on their computer. So the names of this VPN malware mask, VPN, Do VPN, DW Paladin VPN, Proxy, gate Shield VPN, and Shine VPN. So all of these people downloaded this software thinking, oh, I can use a free VPN online that I found and next thing, you know, you would never realize that your computer is doing nefarious things in the background. So how do you find if this is on your computer? Well, you search for it. You can go into your task manager by pressing control alt delete and looking for the processes named mask, do or you know the other ones I mentioned. You can use the start menu to search for any of the VPN names listed above that I just mentioned, and you can go to your ad or remove programs and search for the malicious software names there. There's also a more geeky way of looking and file explorer, but that's if you're really advanced. The bottom line, I did get a good question on my Facebook page. Someone asked, hey, is my malware bytes going to detect this? And malware bytes actually did a blog post about it, but they don't make it really clear if it detects this software in the background. But they said you should look for this manually and then do a manual scan of your computer. So That's what I would do. Even if you're running something like a malware bytes or any of these other programs, I would just take a look and make sure that none of these VPN applications are listed on your machine, and if they are, get them off of there because you don't want them on there. Mask VPN, Do VPN, Paladin VPN, proxygate Shield VPN, and Shine VPN.
Speaker 2: All of those.
Speaker 1: Instructions are on the website. Go to Rich on tech dot tv. You can tap the latest newsletter that is information is in there, or you can tap the light bulb and that will bring you to the link for that FBI information. Let's go to John in studio, John in Fallbrook, California.
Speaker 2: John, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 4: Thanks Rich, enjoy your show. Thank you for taking my question.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I have I have an R low Pro five camera, okay, and I can't seem to hook it up to my WiFi and I'm using LTE at home with Verizon. I had one of these cameras before, the.
Speaker 4: Same model, and I had hooked it up and it was connected to the WiFi and then the battery went dead, so I brought it in and charged it and I never was able to communicate again, so I called Arlow. They sent me a new one and I can't get connected now an ideas.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you have you have the rlow camera, and you have you have the Verizon Home Internet box.
Speaker 4: Yeah, LTE at home right.
Speaker 2: Okay, So and that puts out a Wi Fi signal.
Speaker 4: That's correct, it's a router, a cell, a cell signal that goes into a router into a WiFi got it?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, just their standard. So have you.
Speaker 1: So I'm guessing that this camera is on the two point four gigahertz network, and your Verizon box is putting out a five g signal, a five gigahertz signal as it's as its base signal, and this camera is not finding the other one.
Speaker 7: So do you know it puts out a five and a two point four okay, And I'm almost sure that it's on the two point four.
Speaker 4: It's on the same network that the other one was on, and it's the same network that my phone uses. But one of my TVs uses the five.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, if it's newer. The five is the newer, kind of more robust network. So what I would do here is I would factory reset this camera to get it back.
Speaker 2: Have you done that.
Speaker 4: There? I have used the SINC button. I don't know if any factory reset.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I would just a quick search online for r LOW and then factory reset. So I would start fresh with this camera and I would try to connect it to your router that way and see going through the setup process.
Speaker 2: That's number one.
Speaker 1: If that does not work, then I would flip that little Verizon Home Internet box over. There is instructions on the bottom on how to connect to the actual box to modify the network.
Speaker 2: Have you been into those settings at all?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 1: I haven't, Okay, so proceed with caution because you don't want to change a lot of stuff and mess things up. But what you're looking for is a way to temporarily turn off that five gigahertz spectrum, that five gigahertz band on that Verizon box, just to connect this camera. And then once the camera gets connected to that, because that will be the only network that it sees, hopefully it'll just go on there and then you can turn on that five gigahertz network again. It seems like you're not the only one having this problem. If you look up online, I'm sure you've seen that. There are some there are some other folks having the same issue, but everyone that I'm seeing it sounds like the reset will definitely make this work again. I think what's happening is your camera is looking for that other network that it used to remember, and it's not finding that for some reason. And so I think you just need to reset this camera back to factory and then hopefully it will find that two point four spectrum.
Speaker 2: Good question, John.
Speaker 1: We often get that question a lot of people having trouble with some devices, with these routers. It's just it's doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. Teresa in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania writes in Hey, Rich, I have a question regarding paying my bills using a password manager. I understand how to set it up, but the password manager acts as a safe for all my accounts and their passwords.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 1: When I open up the password manager using the master password and gain access to my best Buy account using my best Buy username and password to pay my bill, this is where I'm confused. Thanks for your time, Teresa, So you're correct. The password manager does act as a vault for all of your accounts and their passwords, and most of them will actually log you in. So when you go to the best Buy website, if you have that information saved in your password manager, it will automatically fill that information in without you doing much and it will actually even log you in. Now, if it doesn't do that, or you're not comfortable with that, you can just open up your password manager when you need to log into best Buy again, and you would just go and search best Buy inside your vault and you would just copy the password from the manager and then paste it into the best Buy website. Usually your username is your email address. You don't need to copy and paste that. But those are the two ways you do it. It is very straightforward, it is very simple. But ninety nine percent of the time these password managers are actually going to just fill in the information on their own. There's not much you have to do. Sometimes, if the website's a little different or a little off, which you need to be careful about, it will say, hey, are you sure this is the website? Are you sure you want us to paste this in? I've noticed that they've gotten pretty smart about pasting stuff in. But otherwise, you can always go into your password manager and just manually copy and paste that password. You just have to remember that strong master password for your vault and keep that in a safe place somewhere in your head. And also set up two factor authentication. Great question if you have one. Go to the website rich on Tech dot TV. Hit contact. All right, coming up, I'm gonna tell you about this new fit Bit ace lte, the new smart watch for kids. Find out how it keeps them active and keeps parents connected. Eighty eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one.
Speaker 2: This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. Hope you don't mind the trip down memory lane. We're playing some ninety songs this weekend.
Speaker 2: I just looked it up.
Speaker 1: That song kissed Me by sixpence none the Richer came out twenty.
Speaker 2: Seven years ago.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, Oh my gosh, I cannot believe that I was. You know, if you listen to like a classy a classic station, like a classic rock, sometimes they play songs from like like We're getting up there in those anyway. It's just like when I when I was growing up, classic songs were like.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I don't whatever. Anyway, it's not a music show. Uh, let's go to Fran. Let's go to Fran and Studio City.
Speaker 3: Fran.
Speaker 2: You're on with Rich.
Speaker 9: Hi Rich, longtime fan.
Speaker 10: So I'm in the market for a new TV.
Speaker 11: And currently we want to keep our spectrum.
Speaker 10: Because we have a DVR, and we use a Roku, and we have an LG an older LG TV that won't let me update any more apps or anything like that. So what's annoying is that every time we need to go to, say spectrum, we have to change the input.
Speaker 9: And so I'm looking at the TVs and someone told me that a Samsung has Spectrum built in in, so we wouldn't have that issue. But I'm an big Apple user.
Speaker 10: I have Apple all over the house.
Speaker 9: Apple airport extenders, and I'm wondering if that's if I go to Samsung, if it's going to uh interfere with my Apple setup, you just give.
Speaker 2: Me more headache. Do you have an Apple TV?
Speaker 1: Nokay not, so what's your Apple set up?
Speaker 2: With the with the TV situation, It's just right now.
Speaker 9: It's a USB into an airport, an airport extender.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're not using you're not using any aspect of your Apple stuff with the TVs.
Speaker 10: The only thing I have is an older Apple TV, you know, one of those little squares, and and I do use that occasionally to make it easy to access Apple screen sharing.
Speaker 2: Okay, is that connected to your main TV?
Speaker 10: Pardon me?
Speaker 2: Is that connected to your main TV?
Speaker 10: I can connect it because I have four HDMI ports.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well here here's what I would say. So a couple of things here. Number one, you've got the DVR from Spectrum. You don't want to give that up because you you like your DVR, you like your programs, you like switching channels.
Speaker 2: Is that what I'm understanding?
Speaker 10: Yeah, mainly mainly to the ballgame.
Speaker 12: But yeah, no, I get it way, I get it too.
Speaker 1: So there there is a Spectrum TV app, and I think that's what your friend is referring to. And Samsung, according to the Spectrum website, Samsung Smart TVs do have that app. So theoretically you could ditch the box on this TV, use the Samsung Smart TV interface onload the apps for like Netflix and things like that and then you can also just open up the Spectrum app.
Speaker 2: Now that would be without a box.
Speaker 13: So, uh, I don't want to eliminate the buvenant, Okay, No.
Speaker 10: We want to be able to use the DVR, fast forward, go back, record stuff, all of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and some of that you can do on the on this Spectrum app. I personally I use the Spectrum app. I. It's not as easy as the actual box, of course, not because it's an app and you know the channels and things.
Speaker 2: Everything's just kind of a little bit.
Speaker 10: Right, and my husband is app resistant.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that's fine.
Speaker 1: So if you want to get a TV and you want a smart TV, there's a couple of ways you can do this. Number one, you can get what's called the Fire TV Cube. And what's neat about the Fire TV Cube is that you can have all the smart stuff on your screen, but your your DVR from Spectrum actually plugs into the back of that and then that plugs into your TV.
Speaker 2: So what that.
Speaker 1: Means is that you when you so you see your DVR all day like your TV is just the way it is right, just the way it is today with your with your Spectrum DVR. But when you want to watch Netflix, all you have to do is press a button on the Fire TV remote and without changing an input, it's just gonna overlay Netflix on top of your screen already. So it's one input for your entire setup. Now, that box is a little expensive because it's a it's over one hundred dollars. Plus you have the TV, plus you have your DVR. But that's the cleanest setup that I can think of. If you want to continue using that DVR box and go with a smart TV. Now, if you just go with a Samsung Smart TV, you can still use the smart TV, but yes, you are gonna have to change inputs every time you want to use that DVR with Spectrum and then switch to something like a Netflix, it will have to switch to that that Netflix input.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's on the smart TV kind of side of things.
Speaker 11: Currently, we're currently using ro coup because on our other TVs in the house, we use the Spectrum.
Speaker 14: App on the ro coup.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, so you already understand what that set up is, Like, what are you asking me? What are you trying to figure out?
Speaker 8: That's why I, uh, well, I've been you know, we've been a big fan of the l G TVs. They've been great, So I guess when I when I was investigating them, somebody said that the Sanson TV is a better option for people that.
Speaker 13: Want to eliminate one of the uh, you know, eliminate changing the import or.
Speaker 10: Eliminate one of the remote.
Speaker 14: So I don't know, but I guess what I want to know is what does Samsung TV If it.
Speaker 13: Does eliminate one of the remote will it interfere with my Apple setup?
Speaker 1: I don't think it's going to interfere with your Apple setup, but a couple of things. I would look for a TV that has airplay built in. A lot of these smart TVs do, which means you'll be able to share stuff from your iPhone screen to that TV. Various brands now have that built in, so I would look for airplay on that TV.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 1: And then when it comes to whether you go with Samsung or LG, if you like LG, stick with LG. I am not sure if it will eliminate any sort of remote control or anything, because if you want to use that Spectrum DVR, that's going to be on one input and then the other input is going to have all of the smart stuff all of the smarts from the TV. That's generally how they work. So unless the lgtvs are overlaying the smarts on top of the spectrum box, go with the TV you want. Just make sure it has airplace you can use all your Apple stuff and make sure the smart TV supports the apps that you.
Speaker 2: Want to use.
Speaker 1: Eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple A rich one O one. That's eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one.
Speaker 4: Coming up.
Speaker 1: There we go, gotta get the hook, like Bobo says. Coming up this hour, we're gonna talk to JP Schmtz, CEO of ghoste. He is a digital privacy expert and advocate. Plus, I'll tell you about Amazon Prime members get a tasty new perk, and how Google is auto enrolling Android devices in the Find my network.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what you need to know.
Speaker 1: Eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one.
Speaker 2: My name is rich Demiro.
Speaker 1: This is the show where we talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. Just got a message from my wife. My child has won the championships for his little league baseball team.
Speaker 2: That is very exciting.
Speaker 1: So congrats to my uh my child Tanner, who has been playing baseball for a while.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: Speaking of kids, Tanner is actually helping me test out a new gadget. It's called the Fitbit ace LTE. This is a fitbit, but it's really a smart watch for kids and their parents.
Speaker 2: Oh we are the champions. Here we go.
Speaker 1: We got a little celebration song. Oh here we go sounds so good. Sadly, no one on the podcast will be able to enjoy this. Did you play baseball?
Speaker 9: Bo?
Speaker 14: Bo?
Speaker 15: No?
Speaker 2: I played football? Football? Okay, there we go. Our kids listening to this song at this point, There we go. It's actually amazing. As a mark of modern technology, I'm able to keep an eye on my kids game right here. I've got a little They stream the games.
Speaker 1: I mean if you would have told me that ten years ago, I would never would have believed it. But yeah, they they have cameras at these fields and you can just watch online.
Speaker 2: Anyway. Congratulations to them.
Speaker 1: Yes, as I was talking about, he is helping me test this new Fitbit ace LTE. This is a smart watch design for kids ages seven and uh and what it's meant to do is help them combine exercise with play to encourage an active lifestyle. But it also helps mom and dad and guardians and grandparents keep in touch with your child. So it combines the tracking element, the physical activity tracking element, with actual location tracking, calls and texts.
Speaker 2: So let me tell you about this device.
Speaker 1: It's got interactive games built in that reward physical activity. So yesterday when Tanner started setting this thing up, he goes, Dad, I can't play any of the games. I said, well, yeah, you got to get out there and move before it unlocks the games. So that's kind of interesting. It's got activity tracking, so there's this noodle activity ring. It's got an EG. I hope I'm saying that right. These are little customizable creatures that get healthier and happier as kids meet their activity goals. So Tanner was of course customizing his EG to look like him, which was kind of fun. And then when it comes to privacy and safety, parents can view their child's location and their activity data. This is protected and deleted after a set period of time, so twenty four hours for location data thirty five days for activity. Parents can always call, send, and receive messages, and manage contacts through the fitbit ace app. I will talk about more of that in a moment, because that's the interesting part of this whole thing. There is a school time mode. There is water resistance up to fifty meters, sixteen hours of battery life between charges. Comes with strong glass for scratch resistance, a bumper that's included to keep this thing from hitting the wall. My kids have Apple Watches, and a lot of times they'll hit the wall with the Apple Watch and it scratches it or it cracks the screen. It's happened with both of them. So if you have an Apple Watch, get one of those little plastic screen protectors or glass screen protectors to save you a headache of getting a three hundred dollars screen repair. There's also six different bands. The bands are unique because each one of them looks unique. But when you you snap it onto the watch, it changes the watch face and it kind of changes the whole theme of the watch.
Speaker 2: That's kind of fun.
Speaker 1: So this is two hundred and thirty dollars, which I know is very expensive, but a lot of parents are looking for something like this, and a lot of the current solutions out there are pretty bad. If it's not the Apple Watch, it goes downhill very very fast. Data is ten dollars a month, or one hundred and twenty dollars for the year if you buy one. Now they're slashing that in half, so she'll get your first year of data for sixty dollars. So all in for the first year, you're looking at about two hundred and ninety dollars. That includes the watch and the service. It's available June fifth through the Google Store and Amazon. Now Here is what I've noticed the catches. And by the way, we're gonna have a Neil's subber wall of Google Fitbit to discuss this in more detail in the third hour of the show.
Speaker 2: But I figure I tell you all about this watch.
Speaker 1: And my observation because here's what I noticed setting up this watch. This is not a classic cellular connected watch as you might expect. There is no phone number for this device as far as I can tell, so it is LTE connected, but all of the calling and all of the texting and messaging actually goes through the app.
Speaker 2: What does that mean?
Speaker 1: It means that to set people up to be able to communicate with this watch. It's a little trickier than just giving out a phone number. And I think that's the biggest thing that parents should know if you are thinking about buying this compared to something like an Apple Watch. So, for instance, with the Apple Watch, both of my kids have an assigned phone number. I can give you that phone number, just like I can any other device.
Speaker 2: In the world.
Speaker 1: Anyone can text or call that phone number. Now that's good and that's bad. It makes it easy to get in touch with it, but it makes it bad for you know, a random person can text them. My kids get they actually get invites, like club events, like the kind of stuff that Bobo's promoting on his social media. Like it'll be like, hey, come up to the eighteen plus club on Friday night. It's like free, free entry for guys before midnight. And my kids, You're like, what is this And so I'm like, now that's a spam text, I mean, or it's just misdirected.
Speaker 2: I'm promoting because it's my birthday party. It is your birthday is this week. It's Wednesday, the fifth, the national holiday.
Speaker 1: That's it. It's the Bobo Holiday. Yes, it is Bobo's birthday. How do you feel about turning what you're turning. I'm proud to turn to forty one. It's a milestone.
Speaker 2: Well I think forty is a milestone. Well, forty one is the milestone. There you go. I just feel older. Yeah, woke up this morning and my knee was already hurt.
Speaker 1: The power of suggestion. I'm getting older. But you do notice as you get older that you know you're getting older. When you move, you make sounds.
Speaker 2: As you move like.
Speaker 1: Ow yeah, and you will have that moment when when you move just a certain way and all of a sudden, it's just you crick something and it's it's that's it. It's gonna feel that way for a week. Well, happy birthday, Bobo. So that is the main thing to know about this device is that adding contacts like I want to add my kid as one of the contacts like his brother and said, okay, you need a Gmail account. So it seems like the person that has that wants to contact this device has to go through the fitbit Ace app, which is a little weird. It's a little wonky. It's not as like straightforward. Now with that said, I think for a kid ages seven to twelve. It's probably not a bad idea. You're if you're a parent, you're gonna download this app. It's gonna be very simple to text back and forth with your kids to see where they are on a map. It's all very good. It's just I think you just need to know that one little key aspect of it is that it's not a phone number assigned to this watch. So as long as you're cool with that, I think this is a really, really good solution. The software is excellent, the device is excellent so far.
Speaker 2: I'm still testing it.
Speaker 1: I'll have my full review soon, but I think that that is what you need to know about the fitbit ace LTE.
Speaker 2: I will have a.
Speaker 1: Full interview a little bit later on in the show. All right, we'll get to some more questions in a moment at eight eight eight rich one one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one before we go to break. Amazon has a new Prime perk. You now get grub Hub Plus membership if you are a Prime member for free and ongoing. This is supposedly worth one hundred and twenty dollars annually.
Speaker 2: But give me a break.
Speaker 1: You are paying so much extra if you are ever ordering anything online to be delivered to your house. And yes, they can say, oh, you're getting zero delivery fees on eligible orders over twelve dollars, but you're still paying a service fee, and those service fees more than makeup for whatever. So yes, you're paying less than a person that's just coming to the Grubhub app that doesn't have them membership, but you're still paying a premium to get someone to go to a restaurant, pick up your food and bring it to your house. That's how these things work. And we did it last night. Nothing against it. We did DoorDash last night and it's great. It is convenience. It was seven dollars more to have someone bring it to my house then for me to go pick it up. But on a Friday night, do I feel like going out? No, I just wanted to go home and have someone bring my food to me, so I paid that premium.
Speaker 2: Do I do it every night? Absolutely not.
Speaker 1: It is way too expensive to order food through these apps. They do have a promotional offer so now through June. Now through is it June second, it's only a couple more days. Prime members can save five dollars on a Grubhub order over twenty five dollars using the code prime five. The other news here is that you can order Grubhub through the Amazon App, so one less app on your phone. You do have to activate it, but if you go to the Amazon app and you search grubhub, you can activate the Grubhub within the Amazon app, and you can also activate that free prime five code. Let me just confirm that it that it actually expires when it does, because you've got to act on that fast if you want it. Let's see zero dollar. Yeah, it's only through June second, so if you want to, yeah, basically this weekend.
Speaker 2: So that's it.
Speaker 1: Five dollars off your twenty five dollars order. But you now get Grubhub plus for the entire year. It used to be once you signed up for it renew at one hundred and twenty dollars.
Speaker 2: They're only doing it as like a promo. Now it's going to be indefinitely.
Speaker 1: Eighty to eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one.
Speaker 2: This is rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: More rich on Tech coming your way right after this. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here talking technology at eighty to eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one the website for the show rich on Tech dot TV, and you can find me on social media. I am at you guessed it, rich on Tech.
Speaker 15: Let's go to.
Speaker 1: Don in Rancho, Palos Verdes, California. Don Dan, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 16: Yeah, Hi, Rich. I got a question about passwords. I had these password compromises, and that says I should change the password. And then I go and look on it. There's one hundred and fifty five passwords I have to take care.
Speaker 2: Of that were compromised, or that you have total?
Speaker 16: Well I have total, but there there's that many compromised and I should change the password immediately.
Speaker 1: I'm like, wow, okay, that does seem overwhelming. Yeah, what's telling you that these passwords are compromised?
Speaker 16: I just says that there was a data leak, and I heard something on Ticketmaster was compromised. I noticed Ticketmaster is one of the account.
Speaker 2: But which which app is telling you that these are compromised? Is it Google? Chrome? Is it the I FID.
Speaker 16: Would to ge let me see it would be where you just check on password. So have I been on the computer?
Speaker 2: Have I? Oh, oh, so on your computer on your Chrome web browser.
Speaker 16: Uh, Chrome, I'm not sure. I don't see Chrome. I think it's a Google.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So if you go to passwords dot Google dot com, is that okay? If you go there and you're looking at password check up, is that what.
Speaker 16: You're I'm on passwords it says detect compromise password security recommendation okay, and what not? Sure what it's under?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like what's telling you to do that? Because that's that's my question.
Speaker 1: I don't now are you using the same password across all one hundred and fifty five websites?
Speaker 16: No, of course not. Okay, so they're different.
Speaker 2: I doubt that all of your past Are you using a password manager?
Speaker 16: No, I'm not. That's what I was wondering. Okay, should I go to that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I would.
Speaker 1: So what I would do is if you're gonna, if you're gonna embark on this password change. Now, first off, I'm a little concerned as to what is serving up this message to you because it sounds a little bit fishy, and so I'm a little concerned that you know, something is maliciously trying to serve you up a message. But I you know, without knowing what's telling you to change these passwords. Here's what I would do. My main thing is that I think you should try to get a password manager in use, and if you're using I have a couple of recommendations for that.
Speaker 2: So if you're using to use an iPhone or Android iPhone, okay, so, and you're using a Chrome web browser on your computer.
Speaker 16: I believe it's Google.
Speaker 2: It's it's Google, okay, so Google Chrome.
Speaker 1: So I would you could use the Google Chrome built in password manager. So if you go on Google Chrome upper right hand corner, there's three little dots and that's the menu button. If you go to passwords and autofill, there is an option called Google Password Manager, and you can start using that to save your passwords and to also generate your passwords. And then on your iPhone, you want to go in and actually set the Google Password Manager as your preferred autofill and then anytime you encounter a website that you need to log into, Google will spring into action and say, oh, I know the password, and it will fill it in for you.
Speaker 2: So that's the main thing.
Speaker 1: If you're going to embark on this journey to change one hundred and fifty five passwords. That's what I would do, so that you get them all in a safe place and they are generated, unique and strong and one time only.
Speaker 2: Now, the way I.
Speaker 1: Would tackle the one hundred and fifty five passwords change is I would start with your main apps, So the main most secure app, so that's your banking, that is your email, and I think those are pretty much your financial and your email is kind of in your social media if you have them.
Speaker 2: Those are the main ones.
Speaker 1: You want to change first, and then of course you can change the lesser ones a little bit later as you get down this path.
Speaker 2: But that's what I would do. Okay, does that sound good? Sound doable?
Speaker 16: I will try it?
Speaker 5: Thanks for yeah.
Speaker 1: And the website I would go to first is just go to passwords dot Google dot com to see if you're already using that password manager, and if you aren't, there's a little that's an easy way to turn it on. You can just hit the gear icon on that page and it says offer to save passwords, and there's also auto sign in, So that's probably the easiest way to do it. And you know that'll work across your iPhone and your Chrome web browser, and it's a it's a nice, free, easy way to start with a password manager.
Speaker 16: Got it, Thanks so much.
Speaker 1: All right, Dan, looks like you've got some homework there. I will be I will be checking it and grading it when you come into class on Monday morning.
Speaker 2: So please complete it in Uh.
Speaker 1: You don't have to complete all one hundred and fifty five, but do as much as you can, all right. Eighty eight rich one one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. So Google is going to start in auto enrolling Android devices in their find my network. So this is their equivalent of Google of Apple's AirTag find my Network.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna tell you all about that.
Speaker 1: But coming up, we're gonna talk privacy. We're gonna talk with the CEO of Ghostry, and he's gonna tell us about tools, browsers and how to protect ourselves online. That's coming up right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology. We'll get back to the phone lines in just a moment. That's eighty eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. But first let's talk to JP Schmatt's CEO, of Ghosty. This is an ad blocker and a privacy browser and JP is a digital privacy expert and advocate.
Speaker 2: JP. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: Thanks thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: So explain what ghosty is all about.
Speaker 5: First off, well, ghostri is an extension to your existing browsers. So you're surfing with Chromo, Safario Edge or whatever you use, and you put us on, and what we do is we basically make sure that all of the stuff you don't see. So all of the trackers that are behind the pages that you visit are basically not showing up in your browser and therefore not able to know where you were.
Speaker 2: So yeah, keep going.
Speaker 5: Yeah, every time you load the page, there's a you know, fifty to sixty seventy trackers behind it from Google, Facebook, tech Talk, et cetera. Basically look looking at what you are doing. And that's why you have sometimes the impressions that ads are following you around or your phone is listening to you. In fact, it's very often just these trackers looking at what you're doing online.
Speaker 1: Oh that's like a number one question I get is people think that their phone is listening to their conversations. But you're saying that these trackers are so ubiquitous that that's actually what's making those things show up on our Instagram feeds.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's much more likely. So you're doing a searching Google, you're visiting pages, you're surfing along the web, and all of these tracks are being recorded, and then somehow you have the feeling that people have been listening to you, but in fact they've just been watching you. And ghost three is removing this even before it happens.
Speaker 2: So what's the benefit of removing this information?
Speaker 5: Well, first and foremost, your pages will load faster because you can't believe how many megabytes are being you know, at than going over your bandwidth, so you'll the net will go faster, you will use less over your bandwidth if you're limited in that way, and the big tech and the trackers will not have the information about what you did and therefore will not bid on the ads that you know that would be retargeting you.
Speaker 1: And so do you recommend that people install these sorts of things? I wonder you know, as we Yeah.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, absolutely absolutely. We just did a survey that shows that people who work in advertising or people who work in tech are you know, infinitely more likely to have an ad blocker and anti tracker install on their brother so people will know what's going on. Basically install that.
Speaker 1: And so my question is if everyone installs these ad blockers, what about all these companies that you know, depend on that advertising revenue. Is there another way for them to make money.
Speaker 5: Well, it doesn't block all ads. It tends to block ads that are coming through so called programmatic networks, so basically as that are coming from other places than the site that you are visiting. So it's true that some websites tend to rely on these network you know, exclusively, and they will obviously make less money from a ghost rey user than a normal user, but a lot of website i have moved to a different type of advertising that doesn't rely on having private information about you.
Speaker 1: Why do you think we're seeing such an interest in kind of this privacy conversation.
Speaker 2: These days?
Speaker 5: Well because it keeps getting worse. Right, ghost Rey was founded in two thousand and eight and we thought, oh that was pretty bad at that time, but it's nothing compared to what it is today. It's just there are more and more of these trackers, and the attic industry is getting bigger and bigger. Yeah, and people get educated or they hear it from someone they know and trust that they should use something like this. They do, and then obviously the work becomes faster and a lot cleaner. So it's hard to go back when you try.
Speaker 1: It now because a lot of the web is supported by advertising. I mean, where do we move forward? Like, you know, how do we move past this? Kind of like if you're not paying for a product, you are the product, right, isn't that with the ideas?
Speaker 5: Well, that's what the idea is when you're not using an ad blocker. I think when you're using an ad blocker, what tends to happen? I think that a good example is maybe YouTube. So we do block the ads on YouTube, but most of the creators on YouTube have ads that are embedded in their podcast right, because they've learned as well that Google is not necessarily their friends when it comes to monetization. So you go back to a more traditional form of advertising, which doesn't rely on on what you were doing two days ago, but rely on the context in which you are at the moment.
Speaker 2: That's interesting too, because I know YouTube it's been kind of a cat and mouse game between the ad blockers and youtub too, because they've been pushing back and that is that something you guys have to like figure out every other day, like, oh they've switched something again.
Speaker 5: It's not every other day. But they did a major pustion in a fourth quarter of last year and what happened was really interesting. We saw a massive increase in users. So even though it was kind of not working most days, but people wanted it to work, so they kept trying to switch browser install us on a different broider. We saw massive movements of people between Chrome and Edge and they would take us with them, right because we can install install grocery on every browser from Safari on iOS to Edge on Windows and whatever you have. And we saw a massive increase in users during that time.
Speaker 1: What about AI, because now a lot of people have switched to these AI tools and they're feeding a lot of personal information into them. Is there any privacy implications there?
Speaker 5: They could be, but at the moment it's still what we call first party, which means that you know, when you're talking to open AI or charg GPT, you know that you're talking to chuldg GBT, you are willing fully putting your information there, and you know maybe they will use it, maybe not one day, but you are fully conscious of that. What we do is more the stuff you don't see. Right, So if you go to my favorite example, you know you have maybe your mother or father goes to arp website, why are there sixty companies lurking in the background that they don't see on the website? Right? Why why are all these trackers in the back? That's what we take care to remove. So I think when people are in a one to one relationship with the website that they want to visit, they are perfectly conscious of what's going on. There is no big risk there. The problem is is you go to a website and you just don't see what people collect and then what they do with it later.
Speaker 1: What's this American Privacy Rights Act And how's that going to impact the average consumers online privacy?
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm not a lawyer nor an American by the way, but I know what regulation tends to do. They tend to say, well, before you do this, you have to ask for consents. And the problem with that is that the big companies are always getting the consent. So you've clicked at one point to a Google button in Google that says Google can collect whatever they want from me, or you go to a website as a pop up and you click on it really rapidly because you want to do what you want to do on it that side, and then they get the right to collect the data forever and ever and ever. So I think it's very important that you protect yourself with one of these tools. On top in Ghost three, we have something called never consent, which means that automatically we answer no to the question of whether they can collect your data.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're going to ask about that, so you mean for all those like because I mean you said you're not an American, so that I think Europe is where we have to thank for the all those pop ups, for the cookies exactly, so you know, so everyone always has to struggle with those things on the website. Do you guys automatically kind of say no to those yes.
Speaker 5: So we have a system that not only blocks the pop up so you don't see it, but also remove consents because the problem in many legislation, I think, including most of the states in America, is that if you don't answer, it means you can, right, and so it's quite important to say no, and we do this on your behalf without having you to go through seven layers of multiple choice questions before you can say no.
Speaker 1: All right, well that's worth it right there. And so how do you guys, how do you guys make money? How does ghost three? Is there a paid or is it all free or what?
Speaker 5: We are very very small teams, so first of all, we don't lose too much money by not having too many people and being a small, dedicated team. And we live on quite substantial donations in the meantime, So people can subscribe to because contributors, and they help us discover new trackers, and they help us by giving us a few dollars per month if they want to. But you don't get more protection by being a contributor.
Speaker 1: And do you feel like these privacy conversations are overblown or do you feel like people should actually think about this stuff and take some action.
Speaker 5: I think it's not overblown at all, because when you look at what's going on, it is quite enormous. And I think that the old contract that somehow implicitly was between advertiser, publisher and reader of viewer has been broken by this invisible thing, right because before it was quite clear, like you had a radio show and you had a lot of attention, and then an advertiser would want to sort of piggyback on that attention and would give you, you know, money, and the middleman between you and the advertiser would maybe collect fifteen percent. This is not true today. The middleman tends to collect up to eighty five percent. Oh wow. And spy and spies on you. You know, you never spied on your on your listeners before. Right, You just had a that that you think they would like and then you got paid for it.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: You didn't know need to know what I was doing five minutes before in the supermarket. Uh. And I think that this we need to go back to that more than this ultra targeted advertising.
Speaker 2: All right, We're gonna leave it there. Very interesting.
Speaker 1: I'm always interested in the privacy aspect of everything, and it's just continuing to be such a huge aspect of our online lives. JP Schmittz of CEO of Ghostory. You can check out the website. It is ghostory dot com. If you want to check out their tool, I'll link it up on my website. Rich on tech dot TV, thanks for joining me today.
Speaker 5: Thanks you Rich?
Speaker 2: All right eight Rich one on.
Speaker 1: One eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. Speaking of privacy, Google Auto and rolling your Android devices in their new find My network.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what you need to know about that coming up next. Welcome back to rich on Tech.
Speaker 17: Right, let's go to.
Speaker 2: Martin in Palm.
Speaker 17: D California and the Golden Belly.
Speaker 2: Martin, you're on, You're on live.
Speaker 17: I'm just going to get your supercharged for a few minutes.
Speaker 1: And okay, well get that thing supercharge. You're on with rich On Tech.
Speaker 2: Are you there? Okay? I think we're gonna go. We're gonna Martin.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're gonna give Let's go to uh.
Speaker 2: Pick, Let's go TV.
Speaker 18: Let's and I can and I can just emailing.
Speaker 1: Let's go to is this Granny Rich? What is happening here? I don't know what's happening here.
Speaker 18: I'm going to.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know what is going on their phone lines. Granny Rich, you're on with rich Are you there?
Speaker 19: Yeah?
Speaker 18: I was just wanting to know what your number one anti virus disc for a desktop computer. It's Windows ten.
Speaker 2: Are okay? Good question.
Speaker 1: So in Windows ten, they actually have anti virus built in so you can do that, which is fine, but if you want to step it up a notch, I would recommend checking out a website called a vtest dot org, and that is the website that will tell you they do tests on a monthly basis. And right now their number one is A vast a.
Speaker 18: V A S A B is in Banana.
Speaker 4: A v.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I'm forgetting my my own av Victor. Yeah, A Victor. That's it, yeah, Apple Victor.
Speaker 10: And what's the rest of it?
Speaker 1: A vast av A S T and that is a free anti virus. Obviously it's a freemium, so they're going to try to sell you on the you know, the more premium version. But this gets great ratings. It's a top product. It generally is highly rated among a lot of the tech folks out there. So you can take a look at that website, though, you know.
Speaker 18: Can I can I repeat this again? A vs in Victor, A S is and sam tasn't tom correct A vast Okay, yeah, because my computer came with a microsf what is it McAfee and my computer guy came in yesterday and told me, he said, well, you need you need to get a disc granny. He said, because this your speed. He said, your speeds aren't what did he say, kicking in and he said one is like one O two and one is seventy nine. And I said, well, I have McAfee and I pay it once a year. And he said, well, you need to get another one. So thanks for telling me about this one. I'm going to try it because my computer is HP, like I said, and it's about five years old, and this is about my fifth one. I went to HEWITTT Packers because I liked Compact. But that's it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well check out that website. Yeah you're welcome. Good luck with that.
Speaker 1: But check out the website av dash test dot org if you're looking for anti virus for any of your devices. This is an independent institute that does a lot of tests on so here it is. It says during March in April twenty twenty four, we continuously evaluated seventeen home user security products using their default settings.
Speaker 2: And this is what they came up with.
Speaker 1: So a vast number one AVEG, which I believe is the same company, number two of YOURA number three bitdefender for Enigma Soft five E set number six f secure And then it's interesting the big brand names that you see advertised the most are actually the lowest on the list, which I find very very interesting. All right, let's see if let's see if Martin. Let's let's peak in on Martin again.
Speaker 5: Martin?
Speaker 2: Are you there?
Speaker 17: Yes? I am here.
Speaker 2: Oh hey, what's up Martin? Welcome to rich On Tech. What can I help you with?
Speaker 5: Thank you for taking my call?
Speaker 17: Let me a little background. We developed a self You've.
Speaker 2: Got to be very quick because we only have a couple of minutes here.
Speaker 17: Oh okay, I know. There's a way you can run a browser application and compallably MOLDE for Internet Explorer, Microsoft Age. However, after a month expires all the time, so always get calls from my users, try to walk them through and set up the compellable mode. Again, is there any way we can sit down I stay longer than one month?
Speaker 1: Well, I wouldn't recommend that support for Internet Explorer ended in twenty twenty two, so anyone that's using something that works through that compatibility mode is at risk.
Speaker 5: I know, I know.
Speaker 2: So why are you not updating the program?
Speaker 17: Well, we have a new version of the program, by some old timers still try to use it. The old version of the software because it still has some old data and they didn't need to retrieve. So that's why we haven't transferred any data from the old system to the new one. Some of the data still in the old system.
Speaker 1: Well, the only thing I can think of, I mean, I'm guessing they're doing like the flags inside Edge to turn on the compatibility mode.
Speaker 2: Is that how you're doing it?
Speaker 17: Yeah, you come to the setting and default.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I mean, if that's resetting, obviously that's a Microsoft security concern. They're toggling that off by default every thirty days. The only thing I can think of, and I can't recommend this widely because obviously you know there are inherent risks with you with using this in a mode that is not supported anymore. But I would say the only thing you might be able to do is find an extension that might continue to keep that enabled, or an extension that runs that mode permanently.
Speaker 2: That's my thought.
Speaker 1: But again, I think it's best to try to urge these people to update, because you just don't want to be running something that has not been supported in two years, because there are a lot of security implications of that.
Speaker 2: So I understand the reasoning.
Speaker 1: But I also see why Microsoft is forcing those changes. But again, there might be some extension that would would do that. I don't know of one off the top of my head, but that might be a good way to kind of search for something that keeps that that flag in place even after those thirty days. All right, the website rich on Tech dot TV eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one eight eight eight rich one oh one.
Speaker 2: Man, do we just go through a whole another hour of this show? Well, we got another hour coming up. That's the good news. And coming up we'll take more of your questions. I'll tell you about this whole uh Android find my network, and I'll tell you how to find some hidden games on YouTube.
Speaker 1: That's kind of fun. It's all coming up right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. This is how we do it for tech news. Eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. Welcome to another hour of the show.
Speaker 2: Coming up.
Speaker 1: This hour, we're gonna talk to a Neil Subberwall of Google Fitbit. He's gonna discuss details on that new Fitbit ace LTE. This is the connected smart watch for kids. He's gonna explain what it does, what it's useful for, and they're thinking behind creating it. Speaking of Android, you might get a notification on your Android device that says do you want to join the Find my Device network? So you're gonna get a notification because Google is turning this on for over a billion devices. This is the equivalent of Apple's Find My network that launched with the air tag. Apple has had their network up and running for a couple of years now. Google is just getting theirs up and running. So you're gonna see a whole push for gadgets that tap into this find my Device network, So things like air tags, except on the Google side, So a bunch of different products, Chappolo, Tile, They're all going to have these devices that tap into this network. And these are for Android phones along with your Android devices. So you're gonna see earbuds, you're gonna see headphones, You're gonna see a lot of different things be able to be found with this new network. But how this network works is through all of your devices. So let me give you an example. Your phone. You have an Android phone, it's sitting on your desk at work. Someone loses their keys with one of these little find my trackers attached to their key. Well, that little tracker has Bluetooth in it. Your phone is scanning around your workplace looking for all these different devices all the time, and it finds that little tracker. It reports that location back to Google, and that person that lost their keys goes onto their phone and says, now, where did I drop my keys? And the phone says, oh, we saw it in at your work underneath this desk or whatever. So that's how it works. And so this relies on millions upon millions of devices scanning using Bluetooth and helping locate these other devices. Now, this is all done privately. It's all done encrypted. Nobody's seeing where your phone is. Your phone is not seeing where these other devices are. It's all done encrypted and privately, so only the person that owns that device can actually see where that lost item is. This find my Device network collects current location, battery level, Wi Fi network, and signal strength to help locate these online devices. For offline devices, yes, your phone could be offline and it still might be able to be found with this new network. Now some of the newer devices have that functionality. I know the pixels do, but not every device is going to have that offline identifying information. So why I'm telling you this is because you might get an email that says, hey, we're going to opt you into this network if you don't say anything within the next three days. So if you don't mind helping out and being a part of this network, just let it go. It will opt you in automatically. If you don't want to be a part of this network, if you don't want to help find devices using your devices, you can opt out. And the way you opt out is following that link in the notification you get or the email you get, or you can go to this website Google dot com, slash Android, slash find, slash settings, slash FM d end find my Device Network. I know that's a long website. Google dot com, slash Android, slash find, slash settings, slash fmd N. I will put that link on my website. Rich on tech dot tv in the show notes, this is show number sixty seventy four. Tap the light bulb at the top of the screen to get into those show note links.
Speaker 2: That is the deal.
Speaker 1: You can also opt out at any time, So even if you let this auto opt in, and you decide later on, you know what, I don't want to be a part of this network. You can still opt out now. Even if you don't opt into helping find other devices, you can still use find my Device to locate your devices when they're online. So it's not necessarily a two way street, like you don't have to participate to actually help find your devices, but it would be nice if you help participate.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I think there's enough Android devices in the world where even if you say no, there's still going to be enough people that make this pretty accurate and pretty good. But this is a huge, huge new undertaking by Android to help you find your device anywhere it is in the world when it is lost. And it's going to implement this functionality for so many devices. You're going to see wallets with this find my network, You're going to see tracker tags, you're going to see headphones, all kinds of Android devices moving forward are probably going to have this built in as an appealing feature to help you find these devices if they are ever lost. Let's go to ed in Los Angeles or ed in Las Vegas. ED you're on with rich Las Vegas.
Speaker 12: That's right, Thank you, Rich. I appreciate you taking my call.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 12: So my situation is that I have had for years Amazon Music that is now being charged I believe nine ninety ten dollars a month, and I was told that Prime Music comes free with your Prime membership, which we are also paying for. Are they the same thing? I know that on the Amazon Music I can play any artist, any soundtrack from any movie, any Broadway, play any artist with any song they ever recorded. Is it the same music provided by Prime Music that I could stop paying, you know, the one hundred and twenty dollars a year and get it for free and along with my Prime.
Speaker 2: Members It is not the same.
Speaker 1: So it is there is a little bit extra that you get with the paid Prime, you know, the unlimited. And this is where it gets very confusing for Amazon to do this because they've given a lot of stuff for free. I mean, they really are giving you a lot for free. If you have a Prime membership, you can get what's called all Access playlists. So these are playlists that let you pick any song and played on demand and no skip limits, no you know, or you can even listen to them offline by downloading them. So, but that is a select group of songs. So I would say my main difference between what you're paying for and what you get for free is the choice of what you get to listen to.
Speaker 2: On demand.
Speaker 12: That is the more do playlist or downloads because I'm blind.
Speaker 2: So okay, but you know I can just saysk.
Speaker 12: Thee abot to play anything from Rihanna to Elvis. I can play Duing Eddies nineteen fifty nine, forty Miles the Bad Road, and it'll play it. Yeah, any song anything I want. But you're saying the Prime Music doesn't give me.
Speaker 1: That, well, so what's going to happen on the Prime Music? There is a selection of songs, so I believe they've thrown out like a number, right, so there is like a certain amount. So with Amazon Music Prime members get access to one hundred million songs AD free. Right with Amazon Music Unlimited you get a hundred million songs in HD and million millions of songs in ultra HD. So if you have like a super high quality setup, you would get a better audio quality. But the main difference is, let's say if you stop paying for this, right ed, if you stop if you stop paying for your unlimited and you say I want to play Rihanna and I want to play a certain song by Rihanna, right, and it doesn't have that song the Free membership. The Prime membership will just play a song similar to that song, and you may be none the wiser. You may say, oh, I asked it to play Rihanna's Shut Up and Drive or whatever, and it plays something related to that. And so not everything is going to be you know, it's not going to have the entire catalog like Amazon Music Unlimited does because you are paying, and also you get to listen offline. You get Unlimited skips. So if you don't like a song that it plays on the Amazon Prime and use press skip, yes, it'll skip to the next song, but you're only gonna have a certain amount of skips per hour before it says nope, you've got to listen to this song.
Speaker 2: And the reason they're doing that, whereas.
Speaker 12: On the Unlimited, I can you say next and it'll go the next song on the artist I'm listening.
Speaker 1: To exactly, So there is a difference between the two. What I'd say, ed is try it. I mean, you could always cancel the Unlimited and I know you said you paid for a year in advance, so you can cancel that now, continue to use it for the year, and then when it when it lapses, you can just default to the Prime Music. If you have an Amazon you have an Amazon Prime membership, Yes we do, so if you have Amazon Prime, you can let it default to that and you can try it out. I mean, I think there are a lot of people out there that are just using Amazon Music Prime for free that it just works. And you know how many times are you skipping a song in an hour? You don't notice? So if it saves you one hundred and twenty bucks a year and everything's fine, that's great.
Speaker 2: But you did you did quite.
Speaker 12: Say we pay by the year.
Speaker 4: I'm sure you got that.
Speaker 2: Poh, well, then I mean, maybe just cancel it.
Speaker 12: And I think I said we pay one hundred and twenty bucks a year, but I was just giving a figure and I got it. We don't pay by the year. I'm builled once a month, nine ninety nine.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, now here's the other thing. I don't know if that's grandfathered in, because I do know that they have raised prices on the Amazon Music Unlimited, so I would check to see, let me see exactly what that price is now because I.
Speaker 12: Really appreciate your time. You're doing a great job than could you.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it says starts at nine ninety nine, a month after the thirty day trial, so it sounds like it's still the same price. But here's the thing, Ed, when you called out those songs, you sound like you're kind of a music guy, and so yes, I feel like you like your music and you like to be able to say the song that you want to hear, and you kind of know a lot of this stuff.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: You may not be happy with the you know, the the kind of randomness of the free version.
Speaker 12: But right, I get what I want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's worth try.
Speaker 12: In other words, right, you're.
Speaker 1: Not really losing anything by trying it out for a month, so I might try.
Speaker 2: That's what happens.
Speaker 12: How can I try it out at the same time I'm paying for the unlimited and now am I going to know which one I'm pulling from?
Speaker 1: No, I don't think you can do that because it's the same thing unless you set up a different Amazon account. But that's you know, you're under your prime account. That's going to be kind of tricky to do. So all right, I say.
Speaker 12: Thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Rich.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I appreciate the show very.
Speaker 1: Much, appreciate the kind words, ed, thanks for calling today. Eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one.
Speaker 2: Coming up, I'll tell you where to find some games to play on YouTube.
Speaker 1: What Yeah, they're there, I'll tell you where to find them. Coming up right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here talking technology. The website for the show rich on Tech dot tv. You can find me on social media. I am at rich on Tech. If you want links to anything I mentioned on the show, you go to the website. There is a light bulb at the top. You tap that light bulb and it will take you to the wiki for the show, which has every show we've ever done, plus the links to every show, so you can get links in real time. And if you're listening later, you can just look at the podcast section. It will have the show and it will have all of the links there as well as the audio of the show. You can also subscribe by searching rich on Tech and your favorite audio player. Let's go to Carol in Los Angeles. Carol, you're on with rich.
Speaker 20: Hi, thank you so much for taking your call. I love the song you played long times understand it that was very appropriate. Thank you. Briefly, I was hacked on a crypto exchange of Gemini, which is you know, very big like point based crack in US base, and I was hacked and had a lot of money stolen in ten minutes. There were two hundred transactions converted the bitcoint and then too something called Orchid, which I understand it is a little more secretive and hard to track, so trying to figure out what happened. You know, I'm a very simple user. I'm not on my computer very much and just make my investments. They've identified from three years ago that there was an API that was generated and this was used to bypass two factor authentication which I had on the account and somehow get in and hack it. It wasn't password or email, it was this API. And indeed three years ago I was using something called token tax, which you're supposed to use to pay your taxes, you know, with a software interface that helps you do the right thing and and sort of pull in from a few exchanges you may be on and then calculate your taxes. Gem and I would not think though with token tax it never sinks, unlike a couple of the other exchanges like binance us or crack, and it never thinks. And that's it. I mean, I didn't do anything else. And now three years later they identified twenty twenty one, maybe there was this one API.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so here's what happened. So some so this there. So what you're talking about is basically a token. And so it's an API key that you would generate and a lot of different not every not a lot, but there are accounts out there that can interface with another account by generating one of these. It's basically a trusted token. It's kind of like it's saying like, hey, you can access this account anytime you want, because I'm giving you this token to my account, even if you change the password, even if you change your settings, they will have that token until you revoke that token. So what happened was it sounds like you somehow generated a token back in twenty twenty one. You might have given it to another website. That website at the time was fine, but someone might have gotten into that website since and they hacked into that site and they got through to your account based on that linkage between those two accounts.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense? Is that how you understand it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 20: But on what side? Like so if Gemini, for example, doesn't have this interface because they couldn't sync up or at least this token tax cunt interface with Gemini, did Gemini? Why would Gemini make this this API number one? Wouldn't it be short lived? They're not supposed to last very long? And then similarly, on the other side, token text, if they received it and it wasn't sinking on it, then not stay there and be live to be hacked like what?
Speaker 5: Well, I don't think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is confusing.
Speaker 1: I don't know the details of how this this token got out. I mean, once it's generated, it does typically stay indefinitely as far as I know. And a lot of times, you know, developers use these tokens. They use these keys to Let's say I'm developing an app for open Ai, Right, So what happens is I use the the like I pay open ai for a certain amount of access, right, and then they give me this token that lets me use that inside my programming application. And that way, that token says, oh, this is Rich's account, we know that he pays us he can access all this stuff and so that there's there are valid reasons why this exists. I think for you, first off, I feel so bad that this happened to you, and it sounds like there's no recourse.
Speaker 20: Huh, we don't know. I in my opinion, three years down the road and it's nowhere on my stuff, it's on their stuff, and it just lived. I since have been able to have something just living and then someone gets it.
Speaker 1: Right, So, yeah, did they tell you how much money are we talking here?
Speaker 20: We're talking a lot of money, enough money that it matters. So no, I think that they have responsibility. They sind have generated if they couldn't think, and then if they could think, then then it should go away. That's why I'm asking how long should these things last? It seemed like it was very temporary and then it couldn't work and then it should have just dissolved and gone away. It doesn't fit somewhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, they typically are. They are pretty pretty everlasting. But here's the thing.
Speaker 1: I would really get on Gemini and really really push them and for them to explain how this happened exactly and why you're responsible for this, what turns out to be fraud eighty eight rich one on one eight eight seven four to two four one zero one more rich on Tech coming up right after this. Yes, welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here talking technology. There's a new connected smart watch for kids. It's called the Google Fitbit ace Lte, and it's a new device that I think parents are going to like. It's kind of up against the Apple Watch, but there are some key differences. This was designed with kids in mind. It's coming out on June fifth, and uh to talk about it. I recently chatted with a Neil Summerwall of Google Fitbit. He's gonna explain what it's all about.
Speaker 2: So what inspired the development of the Fitbit ace Lte.
Speaker 19: Well, the fiffit acelt actually is a very personal story. It comes from my own experience with my daughters who were eight and ten a few years ago and my wife and I weren't ready to take the plunge and buy phone for many reasons I'm sure that you're aware of, and so we went out looking for an alternative and we found kids smart watches and we said this was great.
Speaker 15: So we bought our daughters to these kids.
Speaker 19: Smart watches, thinking that they would allow us to call message and know.
Speaker 15: Where they were.
Speaker 19: Surprisingly, or perhaps not surprisingly in hindsight, our kids would accidentally forget to charge them, or they would leave them at home by mistake, And what we realized really quickly was that they saw them more as tracking devices rather than devices that helped them feel more independent. And so the inspiration for this device was for parents who were looking for an alternative. Could we provide a device that kids loved that was built for kids, not an adult device that was scaled back for kids, or a device that condescends to kids. But could we build a device that kids loved.
Speaker 15: And parents loved.
Speaker 2: So tell me about some of the features on this fibit ace LTE because it is a fibit, but it's also a smart watch, it's also a gaming device, so kind of give me the basic features.
Speaker 15: What can you do?
Speaker 2: I like the fact that it has LTE in the name, that tells me that it's cellular connected.
Speaker 15: Exactly right. Richie touched on the three main principles of the products.
Speaker 19: So the first is that it's all about inspiring healthy and active movement in kids through play. But then number two, as you touched on how could we do it in a new and inspirational way, and that's where we use gaming as the mechanism to do it. So we have these really compelling, interactive three D games that we've built.
Speaker 15: That are immersive. They're fun.
Speaker 19: You are fishing, you're dancing, you're a chicken and a bathtub racing through space. The only currency is movement and so that's principal number two. And then the third one, which you talked about, is the LTE connectivity. And that's so important because what we want to have is a mechanism for kids to feel like they're growing independence. So we have calling, messaging and location sharing. We're using Google's technology, so we have Google Maps, so it's not just GPS, which is often very accurate.
Speaker 15: It's using Google Maps as technology.
Speaker 19: That's using Wi Fi and other mechanisms so that you can get pinpoint accuracy even inside buildings.
Speaker 15: So, because it.
Speaker 1: Does have the cellular built in, can you touch upon how that's going to work? Are people going to add this as a device on their current plan?
Speaker 2: Is it a standalone plan? And how do you activate it and all that stuff.
Speaker 19: The device comes with the fitbit ace app. You download that on iOS or on androids, So as a parent, you simply download that app and then we have everything all included in that app. We wanted to make setup as simple and easy as possible. You sign in with your Google account and we offer you the ace Pass Data Plan, so we provide everything with the LTE connectivity. The data plan is offered at nine to ninety nine a month or one hundred and twenty dollars for the annual subscription. With that, not only do you get all of the lt connectivity, but you get all of the games, all of the experiences for Kise.
Speaker 15: We have a whole host of parental controls.
Speaker 19: That we offer that allows you, as a parent, for example, to add trusted contacts so that they can also call and message the child if you have an uncle and and a grandparent. That's all part of the subscription service as well. And the annual subscription also includes a collectible band, and we'll talk about the bands in a minute. And the band itself is valued at thirty five dollars, so you get that is the annual subscription, and for the next three months until August thirty first, we're running a promotion where that annual subscription is actual only sixty dollars, So you can get the device, get up and running with the fifbit ace pass and for sixty dollars you get one year of LT connectivity, all of those updates over the course of the year, all of those parental controls, and a free thirty five dollars band.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's a great deal. Let's talk about the durability of this device. Because it's kids. You know this thing is going to get wet, it's going to get dirty, it's going to be bumped around. So tell me about the aspect of durability.
Speaker 19: Every part of this device has been built from the ground up. It's a device that I'm incredibly proud of because we took a clean sheet of paper and we started from how do we build a device for kids? And exactly as you said, when you're thinking about hardware design, you have to think about how kids use it. So a simple example, one of the first tests we insisted on is it has to pass the washing machine test. So if a kid forgets it in their clothes and it ends up in the laundry, can the device survive? And the answer in our case is absolutely yes. Because that was a really cool part of curability. We also include a free bumper in the box for added protection, so it just clips on. But the band itself is what you feel on your skin most of the time, and so we have done a textile band which is really.
Speaker 15: Comfort uses recycled yarn.
Speaker 19: It has a single loop that attaches with a velcro strap.
Speaker 15: Really easy for kids and really comfortable.
Speaker 2: Tell me about the tech aspect of the band. What does it do when it connects to the actual watch.
Speaker 19: So the device has NFC, which it uses for things like Have to Pay, which be launching in a couple of months, but the band itself does not have NFC. It has another patented technology that we put in it that allows us that when you connect the band to the device, the device will recognize which band you've attached. So we have six collectible bands that we're launching and depending on which band that you plug in, the device will recognize that. It'll wake up your eg which is this virtual companion.
Speaker 15: You have almost a tamagatchi that you take care of on the device.
Speaker 19: So we really want it to feel like a gaming cartridge that you can trade and you can collect.
Speaker 2: What ages do you think this watch is geared towards and also I'd like you to touch upon privacy because this is going to be collecting a lot of data about minors, so how is Google handling that data.
Speaker 19: We believe that this device is about motivating activity and play and movement through gaming, and the sweet spot for this device is typically between the ages of around seven to eleven. That's really what we've thought of when we designed the device, because not only have we built the games and the activity and the movements inspired around that, that's also typically where kids are reaching a level of independence where they're starting to maybe spend more time on their own, go to sleepovers, go to camp, go pick the public transport to school, perhaps be.
Speaker 15: It home alone.
Speaker 19: But parents are looking for an alternative to that phone, and parents are waiting typically till twelve thirteen years of age before they buy that first phone. So as an alternative to the phone, this is an ideal product in that age rain that sweet spot of seven to eleven. Seven to twelve to your second question about privacy, and I'm really glad you asked that question because that has been a driving principle of this product from day one. So a couple of examples you can access location on this device. That location is only shared with the parent, and it is deleted from all of our systems within twenty four hours.
Speaker 15: We never hold on to that data.
Speaker 19: Similarly, the activity data, and so we delete it from all of our systems and all of our servers within thirty five days. There are no first party apps on the device. There's no app store to download other apps. There are no ads on the device whatsoever. There never will be. None of the data is being used by Google four Ads or any other reason. It really, truly is a device that's been built with privacy and data minimization right at the forefront. We feel that this device is yeah, unlike anything out there, and certainly for parents who've got kids in that seven to eleven and looking for an alternative before they take the plunge in the first phone, we think this is an ideal device.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: There you have it, a Neil summerwall of Google Fitbit. The one thing to know about the Fitbit ace LTE, like I mentioned earlier, is that it does not get assigned a traditional phone number. So if you're thinking that your kid will have what equates to sort of a smartphone on their wrist with a phone number.
Speaker 2: That is not the way this works.
Speaker 1: It is a app connected device, so when you make a call to the child or a message, it all goes through that fitbit app on your phone. And yeah, you can have up to twenty different contacts. They're all gonna have to download that fitbit app app and be linked in and able to access and talk to this device. So that's just one thing to know. The fitbit ace LT is gonna be two hundred and thirty dollars. It's on sale on June fifth through Amazon also the Google Store, and then the service is ten bucks a month one hundred and twenty dollars for the year, but right now for the launch, they're doing a deal where it's sixty dollars for the first year. Once again, my kid is testing this out right now. So far, so good, as long as you're aware of the limitation of not an assigned phone number. All right, Coming up next, I'm gonna tell you where to find some games on YouTube, and if you want to watch TV for free, Filo has a new subscription free service plus your favorite segment, the Feedback coming up next right here.
Speaker 2: On rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech. That song must mean it is time to close out the show. Two more stories before we get to the feedback segment. First off, you can now play games on YouTube. Yes, there are more than seventy five games now directly accessible through the YouTube app, no additional downloads necessary. There are popular games like Angry Birds, Showdown, Cut the Rope, Tomb of the Mask, Trivia Crack in My Favorite Words of Wonders. You can track your all time best scores, share your progress. You can even bookmark your favorite games. These are being gradually rolled out to users over the coming months, but if you want to check to see if you have them, open up the YouTube app on your phone. So go to YouTube, open it up, and then you might need to pull down on the screen a little bit. But up in the upper left hand corner, there's something that looks like it's like a circle, looks like a navigation circle. You tap that and that will bring you to the menu. Scroll down all the way to the bottom of the menu. Were almost to the bottom, and it'll say playables. You tap that and you can see all the different games that are available for play. Kind of fun to have these games built right into your phone. So there you go. Seventy five games on YouTube to Play and Filo. This is a streaming service that has been available for a couple of years. Now they have a new level of service that is completely free, so you can watch over seventy free ad supported TV channels. They call this fast free ad supported Television. Yeah, like regular TV. Non subscribers can watch this for free and even record these channels without needing to subscribe to the Core package or even provide a credit card. The TV channels include reality TV, music, news, and classic television shows. It depends what you want to watch, right, so check out the channel lineup see if it appeals to you and you can get free access. You do not need a subscription or a credit card, so they say this is a great way for people who are not ready to subscribe or maybe they're taking a break from paying for the Core package.
Speaker 15: Now.
Speaker 1: You're not gonna find this on their homepage. They don't advertise this. This is you got to go to a certain website Filo dot com slash go slash free channels And if you go to the Filo dot com website, you're not gonna see this on the homepage. But if you go all the way down to the bottom. There's a little link that says free channels. You tap that and that is your secret way of getting in where you can sign up for free. Of course, I'll link that up on the website. Rich on tech dot TV. All right, now on to the feedback segment. We got a lot of comments about last week's show. One of the callers said that he had a record player in his car, and we were curious if that was actually true, and it turns out, yes, there were record players in cars. I still can't believe this. I still need to see this, but I got a lot of emails about it. And Len in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania said, Hey, Rich, remember it's likely that the engineers who put a record player in cars envisioned you playing records at a picnic or another outdoor family event, not while you were actually driving down the road. And many people sent me links to pictures and websites about these record players. So, yes, thank you for all of the comments about the record players. I got them. No more necessary. Ivan in Vermont says, hey, Rich, this is feedback about our EV interview. EV's are governed by physics, plain and simple. An eight hundred mile EV trip from Vermont to Michigan adds hours to the trip. EV's escaping a hurricane along I seventy five in Florida, stuck in miles long traffic jams. Can't just plug in and go in minutes, buy one at your own peril. Meanwhile, having a choice is a must, and the FEDS need to keep their paws off the transportation industry. Thanks Ivan. It was a debate last weekend we drove to Palm Desert. Of course, my wife does not like to drive the EV anywhere on a road trip because it adds time and it adds annoyance, and yes, it was annoying. We got to our friend's house. I was on empty and I didn't want to plug in at their house because I think that that is you know, you don't know what their electricity is like there or how expensive it's going to be.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it took me an hour.
Speaker 1: When everyone else was having drinks by the pool, I said, oh, I got to go drive the car to the charger, and it took an hour to go charge it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's definitely a consideration.
Speaker 1: Pete from San Luis Obispo, California says, Hey, Rich, I invite you to watch AI perversion on Prime.
Speaker 2: Is that something I can mention on the radio.
Speaker 1: It's truly fascinating how an AI powered virtual assistant can make and execute decisions based on one's personality. It is a French Subtitlepete. When I'm feeling like I want some AI perversion, I will watch that. Germo in Los Angeles says, hey, Rich, I have the T Mobile Unlimited Freedom Plan with taxes and fees included, which was carried over from Sprint. I have two phones and other devices. I have not received any notification of a rate increase just yet. Also, you can get the fifty five plus Magenta plan, but it's not really advertised and it's not on the website. You have to call in as it's buried on the phone plan options. Yeah, a lot of people emailed me about the T Mobile price increase and they are not happy, and they are looking at other options, and I say, look at those other options. There are many many alternatives to the big three out there, mv and O's Visible Mobile AX. We mentioned Tello, You've got Cricket, You've got Visible. You've got so many that you can subscribe to that have much cheaper plans with less data and no fee. Kenny and Rhode Island writes in Hey Rich, a while back, you mentioned that Google would be making its editing tools Google Magic Editor, specifically available for free. I would believe it was supposed to be available for iOS on May fifteenth. However, I don't see it on my Apple fourteen Pro. I contacted Google. They had me delete the app, reboot my phone, reinstall it, but still no Magic Editor.
Speaker 2: Any ideas on why love the show? Thanks?
Speaker 1: Yes, The reason is it's rolling out the two most hated words in the tech world. Rolling out means not everyone gets it at the same time, and it means if you're waiting for it, you're not gonna get it for a long time because they know you're waiting for it. No, they don't actually know that, but I'm just saying it. So I just got this on a non pixel device, so it is rolling out. It is happening. It showed up on my Samsung S twenty four Ultra, so it is a matter of time before it shows up in your iOS iPhone device. It is not shown up on my iPhone device. So I'm right there with you, Kenny, and yes, I understand why you want it because it's really cool. Jackie writes, I was scammed on social media Facebook over a vacuum mop that was supposedly through QVC. It looks so real, even with people demonstrating it, but when I called QVC about my order, I found out it was a scam. We live in a crazy world. It's very scary these days, especially since everything is done on computers and phones. I'm in my mid sixties and all this technology is new and sometimes frustrating.
Speaker 2: Indeed, it can be. Ah, that's gonna do it.
Speaker 1: For the feedback, thanks so much for listening to this episode of the show. You can find everything I mentioned on my website. Just go to Richontech dot tv. You can find me on social media. I am at rich on Tech, and don't miss out on the newsletter packed with valuable information, just like this show. You can sign up with your email at the website.
Speaker 2: Next week.
Speaker 1: I know I promised him for this week, but he's gonna be next week. Drew Binski has gone to every country in the world. I'm gonna have my interview with him. Thank you so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I really do appreciate you spending it right here with me. Thanks to everyone who makes this show possible. Bobo Happy Birthday celebrating his birthday this week, Kim Bill, Julie, and most importantly you. You're not pushing any buttons, you're not choosing the music. But guess what you tuned in. You listen to what I have to say, and that means a lot to me. My name is rich Demiro.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for listening. I'm going to talk to you real soon.