Speaker 1: Hi, guys, Welcome to a new episode of Legally Brunette. I will be your host Emily Simpson and Shane Just Shane. Today we are going to discuss breaking news that Nancy Guthrie is missing, story which I'm sure you've all heard about unless you've been living under a rock, because it's basically everywhere. So we would just want to talk about where we're at. There's been so much information that's been coming out. Every time I look at what is my new source, Instagram, Instagram. Every time I look at Instagram, there's just a new update. And there was a press conference today a couple hours ago. So I feel as if we are bringing you the most recent developments. But by the time we record this they'll probably they'll probably be more. We'll be talking about it again. So eighty four year old Nancy Guthrie is the mother of Today co host Savannah Guthrie, and she remains missing from her Tucson area home. Authorities continue to treat the case as a criminal investigation. Investigators recently returned to her property, conducting renewed searches with canine units and combing nearby wooded areas, indicating new or ongoing leads. Law enforcement says evidence at the home suggests that she was taken against her will, including biological DNA and blood near the entry and signs of forced entry. No suspects or persons of interests have been publicly identified, other than by what we were talking about earlier by Ashley Banfield, but we'll talk about that and a little bit. Authorities are investigating reports of ransom notes, some reportedly sent to media outlets. Savannah Guthrie and her siblings released a public video appeal This was yesterday, asking for proof of life and saying they are willing to communicate if her mother is alive. I watched it. It was actually heartbreaking. It was Samantha and her sister and brother. There's three siblings, and you know what I was thinking, is so difficult in today's age? Is proof of life? I mean with AI.
Speaker 2: Well that's what they said in their video.
Speaker 1: Right and I and I But when they said that, I thought that, how do I mean, at this point in time, how do you have proof of life? Because you can manipulate voices. You could say she's on the phone and it could be her voice.
Speaker 2: But well, the old days used to be held up a newspaper and took a picture with it. So it was like, this is the date. I'm alive on this day, right, But now, what are you going to do?
Speaker 1: I mean you there are.
Speaker 2: The time.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying, Like, what in today's age, right now, as of this moment, what could you do to prove proof of life? Because I feel like everything could be.
Speaker 2: Manipulated in or like a real time conversation, It.
Speaker 1: Would have to be a real time FaceTime conversation where you were asking, Well.
Speaker 2: You could ask him a question that only that person would know.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's what you would do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I still feel like you would have to have more than that because maybe these I don't know you, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Feel like what's your favorite song? And they'll be like, oh, it's I don't know what's your favorite? I don't know, And then I'd be like, I don't know, is that her favorite song? Yeah? I think it's her hurt.
Speaker 1: So authorities are investigating reports of ransom notes. We talked about that talked about proof of life, and the FBI is assisting and federal resources have been offered official stress urgency because Nancy got three requires daily medication, increasing concern for her health and safety. Yeah, she's eighty four, and we know that she has a pacemaker because that was reported that you know, her pacemaker disconnected from her phone or.
Speaker 2: Likely from being removed further away from her watch, her phone or whatever it was, whatever device, and so it lost contact, right and at almost two in the morning or something.
Speaker 1: Well, they released they did a press conference today, also released a timeline. I looked at the timeline several times because it's pretty specific, and I realized how much of a digital age we live in that even her opening the garage door and closing it like that was time standing and then.
Speaker 2: Her uber right, So it has drop off times, and.
Speaker 1: So we know on January thirty first, at five thirty two pm, Nancy travels to a local family member's home. I believe that she had dinner with family that night. Then at nine forty eight pm that night, this is still in January thirty first, the family drops Nancy off at home and the garage door opens. So there's some digital footprint of the garage door opening. How do you find that? Can you find that on your garage door? Like we have an electric garage door.
Speaker 2: I think it was her what time she got dropped off, and what time she closed the garage door.
Speaker 1: It was nine fifty But how do you how do they know that? I'm saying they know specifically what time the garage door opened and what time it closed. I'm just saying, does the garage.
Speaker 2: R connected her phone? You know? Yeah?
Speaker 1: So then at nine to fifty pm the garage door closes. Now the following morning, this is now February first, at one seven am, a doorbell camera disconnects. That's scary. So what that's a ring? Right? A ring camera?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it rings a brand, but it's a doorbell camera.
Speaker 1: Okay, And it disconnects. Then at two twelve am, software detects a person on camera. However, there's no video available.
Speaker 2: To the Emotion subscription. IT'SID motion detected, but they didn't preserve the video because they didn't they didn't subscribe.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're going to come back to that because I want you to explain that. And then at two twenty eight am, the pacemaker app shows a disconnect from her phone, which you were saying. It's a disconnect at two twenty eight because she's outside the realm of the bluetooth being able to pick it up right, so she's probably.
Speaker 2: Sad thinking and if she was killed right then and there, and therefore her heart's not beating, I'm guessing the pacemaker still transmits some type of dat.
Speaker 1: Some type of information, but it's not transmitting any information, So.
Speaker 2: She's outside not reaching the receiving end, yeah, like the phone or watch or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Then at eleven fifty six am, the family checks on Nancy. I believe that's because she was supposed to be at church that morning and she didn't show up for church, so then the family was they someone contacted the family and said, you know, Nancy wasn't at church, and then at twelve oh three pm they called nine to one one, and then at twelve fifteen that's when the police arrive. So that's the timeline. Now as far as the subscription, See, this is what I don't understand because I'm not a techie person at all, and you were just making fun of me a minute ago saying that I don't even know how to turn on a computer, which is not an exaggeration. I literally don't know how to do anything technical at all.
Speaker 2: I just agree because you know anything about Instagram. Yeah, but I never said, hey, here's a shopping app. Can you help me install it and set it? Note you've never had a problem buying anything at a digital age, so you can learn. You choose not to.
Speaker 1: I choose not to. Shane, is the IT department our home And so as far as there being no subscription, that means that the ring or whatever type of doorbell she has, it's just on a loop and it's not saving it.
Speaker 2: You can just see live video. It's like a peephole. You can see so right now you could log in and see what's at your front door. But it's not preserving it.
Speaker 1: So what does that mean when it says it was disabled? What did someone do?
Speaker 2: They just they it's still connected to Wi Fi.
Speaker 1: Okay, But my question is for someone whoever this is this person of interests or whoever abducted her to disable it? They are they inside the house at this point?
Speaker 2: The doorbell is on the outside of the house.
Speaker 1: That's what my question is. How do they how are they disabling it?
Speaker 2: They yank it off the wall and they they smash it.
Speaker 1: So you're saying, that's oh, so it wasn't like some.
Speaker 2: What do you think they do? They tapped in with some laptop and they were like, yes, sitting there like mission and bunds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I pictured.
Speaker 2: No, they yanked it off the doorframe and then they took it with them.
Speaker 1: So you're saying they just removed it and then okay, all right, well okay, but the takeaway from this is that you should have a subscription if.
Speaker 2: You want to up your safety. She had a subscription. It would have saved whatever video was captured. I don't know if they would have been on it. I don't know if they came in from the back door and then went to the front door without getting in front of the camera and yanked it. I don't know, but it would have shown something something other than just motion detected and then disabled. All right.
Speaker 1: So then on Monday, February second, authorities officially upgrade the case to a criminal investigation. The sheriff says evidence indicates she did not leave voluntarily, and the FBI joins the case. We do know that there was blood found on the front porch.
Speaker 2: Like blood drops.
Speaker 1: It blood drops. I saw a photo of it. It wasn't a large amount of blood, not enough for you to say death, she's deceased. It was like dribbles of blood. But then my question is what type of enjury occurred that would make someone bleed, but not with an intent to kill.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's not that far fetched.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it's just so sadistic. So I think someone just broke into this woman's.
Speaker 2: Home, smacker on the head, and then they pull her out. I don't know, it could have been anything.
Speaker 1: Then, on Tuesday, February third, the officials confirmed that the DNA evidence was collected from inside the home and have confirmed that her blood was found near the front door as well. Officials are now saying that there's been no proof of life, and reports of a possible ransom note start to emerge. Now that ransom note is just throwing me for a loop because there's multiple ransom notes. As far as what I understand.
Speaker 2: I said the end of the day, I think they're just milking the opportunity.
Speaker 1: Okay, so something, let's talk about the ransom notes. So TMZ was the first to reveal details about a ransom note. Investigators are saying this is the only note they're taking seriously. But that doesn't make sense to me because there was also another ransom note that came into a Tucson news news station, and I saw them talking about it and giving a report on it. And that ransom note has corroborating evidence in it that talks specifically about what the inside of the house looks like and about what Nancy was wearing that evening. So I don't know, but they're saying the only note, ransom note they're taking seriously is such an MC one.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: So TMZ reported that the note, which was sent to them Tuesday morning, demands a specific and very substantial amount of bitcoin. The amount is in the millions, and the note demands the cryptocurrency be sent to a specific bitcoin address. TMZ has verified that the bitcoin address is real. Now, how do you know? Can you? How can you have an anonymous bitcoin address? And then how do you withdraw from it? I'm this all this technology stuff is just boggling my mind.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Maybe these, maybe both ransom notes are real. Maybe it's like the criminals are just goofballs and they don't know what they're doing. They're like, wait, you sin a ransom? No I sent a ransom. No, Wait who did you send yours? To? Wait? How much are you asking for That's what it was like.
Speaker 1: I said it to TMZ.
Speaker 2: Where did you say, it's like the three stooges, they don't know what they're doing.
Speaker 1: Well, I would hope for Nancy's sake that you're right, that it's just some dumb, dumb juices that abducted her, and hopefully she's okay again. TMC has verified the bitcoin address is real. I don't even understand what bitcoin is, and I will tell you I own some bitcoin. I bought some just because I just felt like it, because it seemed like the thing to do, and it's actually increased. I now have more bitcoin than I used to have. But I don't know what it.
Speaker 2: Is or how What is what is money? Really?
Speaker 1: I don't even understand that content either, because it's like paper money isn't really money. It has to be backed by gold, right, So what is bitcoin?
Speaker 2: It's just a digital currency.
Speaker 1: But I don't know. I don't understand bitcoin.
Speaker 2: You don't need it understanding. I understand that she is missing, I know, and there's a ransom note and they want something for her.
Speaker 1: There is a deadline connected to the alleged ransom, and an element of or else the alleged ransom note. Else what I don't know.
Speaker 2: That means they don't have a plan. There's that that almost sounds like a fake ransom note because they don't even know what to do.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know if they literally said or else, because they're just not giving away actual what the verbiage actually is. They're just summarizing it was a large amount of money. Well, you know, they're not doing that publicly because they want to be able to you know, they don't want to give too much information about the ransom note, the alleged I like how they called alleged ransom note because we're not talking.
Speaker 2: About like validity. Is alleged r note exists?
Speaker 1: So are we saying TMZ?
Speaker 2: I don't believe it much from TMZ really.
Speaker 1: Is so the alleged ransom note also describes another item the sender says was damaged at her Tucson area at home. See, now that's that's corroborating if they talk about some that was damaged when they abducted her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, unless it's an inside job.
Speaker 1: What is inside job?
Speaker 2: Like what if it's like a police officer it was like in on it and he's like, oh sweet, I know this is broken. I know she was wearing this. I'm going to send a ransom.
Speaker 1: Oh you're saying like someone involved in the investigation is making ransom notes on the side, trying to make some trying to get some bitcoin.
Speaker 2: Like the housekeeper grounds keeper. I don't know they forwarded for they should, They should do a little combing of the who'sn't working in the area and see if anyone's from the Boston PD. Yes, because they're.
Speaker 1: Shady, right, they forwarded the alleged ransom demand to the Pima County Sheriff. Then now we Pema County, Pema County, p I m A Pema. On Wednesday, February fourth, CNN came out with more reports on the note as well, and anchor Mary Coleman appeared on CNN's Aaron Burnett out Front to reveal information about the alleged ransom note the station received. See this is where I question, is this the same ransom note that also went to TMZ or is this a different ransom note?
Speaker 2: This is where I don't know.
Speaker 1: So, Coleman said, she is a news anchor that works at this news station that received a ransom note. There are a few things that we can share as far as what the contents were, a lot of it is information that only someone who is holding her for ransom would know, some very sensitive information and things that people who were there when she was taken captive would know. See. I find that interesting because in the press conference the police said that they only are taking the ransom note from that the TMZ ransom note is the only one they're taking. Seriously. However, this news anchor is talking about the ransom note that the news station received and saying that it has corroborating would.
Speaker 2: Make you think that's two different notes, two.
Speaker 1: Different notes, or why are the police not.
Speaker 2: Saying a photocopy of the other?
Speaker 1: I don't know, she continued, So those are things that are concerning. We immediately sent that information over to the sheriff's to apartment. Additionally, Coleman said a detective asked for more information about an IP address for the email. She also confirmed that the ransom letter included a dollar amount as well as a deadline and other specifics that only Guthrie's abductor might know. So that definitely raised some red flag. So again there's my question, are.
Speaker 2: We talking by email?
Speaker 1: It was by email?
Speaker 2: Okay? So it wasn't like the where they cut up the little magazine letters. Now that's old school.
Speaker 1: That's old school. They don't do that anymore.
Speaker 2: They won cryptocurrency.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they went bitcoin and they sent emails.
Speaker 2: Yeah okay.
Speaker 1: Also on Wednesday, February fourth, investigators returned to Nancy's home with K nine units and an online prayer vigil for Nancy was held. So here we are currently, where are we at? Savannah Guthrie? This is the daughter has issued a public plea for the safe return of her mother. In a video released with her siblings, the family address reports of potential ransom messages, asking anyone involved to confirm that Nancy Guthrie is alive, and stating we are ready to listen, you know. That says we're ready to negotiate. That says we got your ransom letters. There are some things that are concerning in them. Is what I would take away from that that there's information that seems specific and knowledgeable only to someone that would have been there. Savannah Guthrie has said that her mother suffers from chronic pain and depends on daily prescription medication, heightening fears about the risk that she faces while she is missing. P MC County's Sheriff Chris Nanos, held a press conference earlier today to share the latest information. During the news conference, Heath Jenkie, who is the FBI Phoenix's Special Agent in charge, confirmed that one arrest was made regarding an impostor ransom note. See that's my question. If one is an impostor, I'm going to assume the one that went to the police station is possibly the.
Speaker 2: I read that both were sent to the police station, because I think that's probably a good protocol. And I think right now, I think they're not They're purposely not providing all the information publicly, like that's not their concern, and plus THEYD to verify things. What if these two ransom notes were written by people that are connected. So I mean, I think they're being very careful in what they're allowing the public to know. And that's why we don't know everything right now about these two ransom notes, right Like I so, I think your questions are valid. Are they the same, are they different? Blah blah blah, And I think what you said is all we know right now.
Speaker 1: Well, it's very difficult to connect all the dots right now because they are giving a very limited amount of information, like you said, So it's like we have these conclusions. There's a ransom note. TMZ got a ransom note, this news station got a ransom note, but it's hard to figure out what was said, which one is the imposter, which one is.
Speaker 2: They're still looking for suspects, so even if they think, hey, this one's fake, but maybe they don't want to tell people because maybe they wanted to weed out more people suspects.
Speaker 1: I don't know. So the special Agent in charge of this case confirmed that one arrest was made regarding an impostor ransom note. The FBI is now offering a fifty thousand dollars award for information that will help find Nancy. Now, that was they found. If they arrested someone, that means they figured out that the note was an impostor, figured out who sent it, found the person, and arrested them. That was quick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's because it's digital. Someone just typed up a note and dropped it off at the station, news station and police station. The old school was like, where did this paper come from? Okay? But then what typewriter was used? Were the typewriter?
Speaker 1: Okay? But here's my question. If that person was so easily found. Then the person who sent the ransom note to TMZ the one that they're saying is legitimate that they're taking seriously. They haven't arrested anyone connected with that.
Speaker 2: That means because the fake one is by some sloppy meth head trying to get a few bucks. He's trying to get some bed. The one is a little bit more thought out.
Speaker 1: Is the actual abductor, is what we would conclude at this point, the FBI agent said, in regards to the ransom note, the one that went to the media is the one we're currently investigating and working on. The impostor that I talked about, where an arrest was made early this morning, that there will be more information. We believe there is no evidence to connect this to Nancy's case. It was someone that was trying to profit from it, a total impostor. As the search moves into its fifth day, concern for Guthrie's health continues to intensify. The Pima County sheriff reiterated at the press conference that there are no suspects and no persons of interest at this time. You know, that is what they said publicly on the record. However, I don't know. If you listen to Ashley Banfield, she did do. She came out publicly and said that the son in law was a person of interest, and I don't think she's recanted that at all, but.
Speaker 2: That she's basing on what she's coming across. Well, I I mean, that's not an officially announced anything, right.
Speaker 1: No, it's not officially announced by the police. It's officially announced by Ashley Banfield. But I'm saying she's well connected in the area of crime, true crime, cops, attorneys, the whole, all the inside information. So the fact that she came forward and said that, I don't know, we shall see.
Speaker 2: Because she's also the one that said it's camera's not camera?
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: Oh, when you put an S on the end of a noun, it's plural.
Speaker 1: No, I understand, but I don't know what you're What is that meaning?
Speaker 2: More than one camera was taken from the property and disabled. That's what she says. Her source said, okay, And she also says that her source, meaning it's not public, it's just her right. But the back door was left open right when they arrived, meaning there was a break in on one door, presumably the front door and then the back door was left open and there's blood on the front door or the front area, the front porch, and she doesn't she didn't hear whether there was or was not blood elsewhere or something like that. So you know, who knows. Time will tell.
Speaker 1: Well, we will stay connected very closely to the story, and we really pray and hope that that Nancy is okay. I feel all wold.
Speaker 2: It's been I mean realistically it's been five days. Yeah, and her medication they say it is crucial daily.
Speaker 1: And also if she was connected to age.
Speaker 2: And pacemaker, and I've seen pictures of her, she's not physically fit to you know, be roughed up.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, we will continue to follow the story and let you know what comes up next on this. So thanks for listening, guys, We appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Hopefully, we just had one more update and they caught him, well, that found her.
Speaker 1: That would be we're done, amazing. We would hope, we would hope and pray for a happy ending that they figure out who this is, they find Nancy and they bring her home safely and she recovers.
Speaker 2: That's what we'll hope for, and they throw them in a jail cell to rock.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, thanks guys for listening to Legally Brunette. As always, you can find us anywhere you listen to your podcast. Also, be sure to follow legally Brunette and leave us of a review if you have the time or opportunity. We'd love to read those. And if you're still listening to us under two teas, not all of our episodes get loaded up into two teas, so you also have to come and find us on our own feed to be able to access all of our episodes. So thank you for listening.
Speaker 2: Thank you,