Speaker 1: Welcome to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. It is Tuesday, July twenty third, and the Ravens held another practice of training camp today. Afterwards, we had a chance to hear from head coach John Harpball.
Speaker 2: Okay, great to see you guys here. Appreciate you heat it up again today and it was good for us. Everybody handled the heat very well. There's an acclamation element to that. Our guys are doing a good job getting in football shape in the heat. And then we've got taps here, one of the great programs military related for military families that have made that sacrifice, and we really appreciate when they come out. That's a great group of people, family oriented organization.
Speaker 3: What question do you have.
Speaker 4: A way out there? I did see the big competible cap.
Speaker 2: I had to pull the reins it on a little bit, you know, and he understands.
Speaker 4: We guys stay.
Speaker 2: Away from the quarterback as much as possible. You don't want to have any any car crashes out there. But he's doing a great job and he's bringing it. He's pretty much been in the backfield every play, so we appreciate it. John did fall Ala is someone that you guys have talked about moving at guard in the past, but haven't done it a whole lot.
Speaker 3: In the spring and alis sort of camp, he's worked there a lot.
Speaker 4: How does he look there and what do you like about.
Speaker 3: Him that maybe that now's the time for him to play more.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a great point. When we do, we're gonna give it a shot and see how it looks. And Daniel's got very good feet for his size. I mean, he's a big man, but he can move his feet. He can also bend and create leverage. And you've got that kind of size and you're coming off the ball in some of those combination blocks. We feel like he's got a chance with with Tyler to move people in there. So all those things keeps working on using his hands. Things happen quicker. You gotta get your hands up quicker, get your hands on.
Speaker 4: People a little quicker. He's working on that part of it too, so we'll see how he adapts.
Speaker 5: John playing a.
Speaker 4: Root tape a bunch of guys wrote his thoughts a couple of weeks aga, Well, you know we're gonna try it.
Speaker 2: We've got certain guys that are moving in certain positions, you know, Pat McCarry right tackle mostly right now. But also you know he's gonna be center, backup center, so he'll some backup center reps. So kind of they work their primary spot their secondary spot. Some guys work both guards, some guys stay on the left side. Different guys, different situations.
Speaker 6: You see.
Speaker 7: I know there are different peoples and snaps at center than the last three days that just to push from even to the eleven and eleven feels.
Speaker 5: Full light out, the trendy.
Speaker 4: Else are just wanting to get a look at you're finishing well.
Speaker 2: I think it's a function of that, those two things, plus the fact that.
Speaker 4: The more you can do, the better you are.
Speaker 2: And you always got to have a center that's capable of snapping making the calls. I mean, if you get to a game and you got a center, you don't have a center, you get two injuries and you're out of business.
Speaker 4: That's a problem.
Speaker 2: So if you can develop your guards usually to play to be a backup or a third center, that just gives you a peace of mind when the time comes. Sometimes you don't want to give up the reps here, but I think it's worth it. Those guys going in and getting those reps get there I'm sure he's closer to getting out there than he was. It's just a matter of when he's gonna you know, the doctors are gonna clear him. He's gonna feel goodenough.
Speaker 5: John Yeah, Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: I mean it's not something that in training camp as a coach you give much thought to right now because we're immersed in our team. But uh, you know, I just think it's good to see the NFL, in the NFL PA work together on these things. That's you like to see everybody kind of come together for what's best for all all all parties, including the fans. I mean, the fans are kind of the main driver of all of it. So we'll see where it goes. But we're focused on what we're doing.
Speaker 8: Uh, we're here for Alata later. We know how versatile he is, but just to hear the press means how much you think he might get you got you got to talk about the Valantine and who could be I might be able to do most damage about doing this or that or just wander.
Speaker 4: You know, as he gets older, it gets more experienced, and he's so flos to as you guys might.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean that's again, the more he could do you move guys around. You always try to have players do what primarily as much as possible, what they do well and minimize the things they don't do quite as well. So you have a player like cal Hamilton does so many things so well, you want to get him in a position to do all those things you guys do. Backfuss like, yeah, I think we could see more of that. You know, we've got certainly got the guys for it back there that can play it so and and uh, you know, we've got a younger, a younger version of p Q now, so that's kind of probably where we're at with him, John, What.
Speaker 9: Do you see is that trojects me for Jayden Armor Davis and Pepe Milliam's kind of same draft year struggle with some injuries.
Speaker 4: What do he sees their projector?
Speaker 2: And he sees that you have a big year for both those guys, Uh, Pepe and and Jalen. And they're we both practicing so well right now. That's the thing I'm excited. First three days in they've both been excellent. I mean, Jalen's made numerous plays in the ball. Peppy hasn't had those chances, but he's been in the right spots all the time, moving well. Pepe's finally healthy, Jalen's finally healthy. So we'll see what they can do. But I'm I'm very I'm very confident that they're gonna do well.
Speaker 6: Yea light healthy.
Speaker 4: Well he cam.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to see him out during games. I mean, he's a guy we really liked last year. He's healthy, he looks strong to me, another guy we're excited to see.
Speaker 4: He looks good.
Speaker 5: We can do more good.
Speaker 4: I mean, fully back down. He does.
Speaker 2: He even told me that, you know, he's finally back and he's right and he looks right, so that's a good thing.
Speaker 1: We also talk with cornerback Marlin Humphrey, who's been one of the standouts so far in training camp.
Speaker 10: You get sick, Yeah, I I slimmed down a little bit.
Speaker 4: I Uh, it's kind of about.
Speaker 10: A sign, but it was, Uh, I just I kind of looked at the past, kind of looked at some of my better seasons and I was a little bit lighter in those in those years.
Speaker 4: So decided to to get around a little bit lower a weight.
Speaker 10: And uh, I've been I've been feeling I've been feeling moving pretty well at it, so we'll kind of see how wiggles.
Speaker 4: Around with training camp.
Speaker 10: I've been I've really been taking advantage of uh Sarah our new uh nutritionists I think her title is. But I've really been Uh I've been really trying to lean on the resources that's the Ravens offer, and uh do do.
Speaker 4: Things kind of the.
Speaker 10: The right way instead of my usual which is just like don't eat, which is just not not the best route. So UH really really been trying to slim up a little bit and then UH just kind of go to kind of the plan that she's put out for me. I'm around the one ninety. I came in one. I've been playing the past couple of seasons, probably around two hundred or so, so that's uh basically ever since I, Uh, I've tore my peck as I hit I think around like twenty five. I got my grown man weight on me and it just never went off. So I just stuck with it. But uh, it's a young man's game, so I decided to get a little lower.
Speaker 2: You direct your career inside out and trying to Verdon first of the watching.
Speaker 4: And Kyle Hamilton to be able to tys for.
Speaker 10: Him and then, uh, I wish I could say that, but Kyle is he's a he's a he's a man of his own. But how he's able to go from safety to to nickel to bounce really play wherever, you know, I always tell people, I think, if you had, if it had to be coll to play every position on the on the defensive step nose guard, because he just can't put on as much weight.
Speaker 4: It's not Pierce.
Speaker 10: But I think with his ability to move around, my ability to move around, it'll work really well for this secondary that you can get me be Steve Nata on the field all at the same time, Brandon's played inside in the past, He's played safe at the past. So I think with just the what Nate's already shown, and if he continues to keep building those days, it'll be just a lot of plays being made for this secondary. With Eddie included, there'll be so many different packages so and teams just won't know what we're doing, who's playing what Anybody can line up anywhere, and that's kind of the exciting thing about being in the secondary. It's just you know, we just got to keep working day by day. Coach Chris always says and I don't even know if this is true.
Speaker 4: I'm assuming it's true.
Speaker 10: He says, some guy came up with a cotton gin and he made one that you can move, all the pieces they can put wherever, and he uses that as an analogy of our secondary. I don't know who that guy is, but long story shorts basis say, learn every position.
Speaker 4: So in a game the best six dvs can play.
Speaker 10: You don't ever want to be in a position where you got a guy that should be a planned but he can only play one position. So that's the biggest thing that I think we'll see a lot in the secondary, just because you know EDC and the scouting department has put the star players all we have enough depth to be.
Speaker 4: Able to do that the most parts of the people. It seems like we've got to really Florida team. So he's really fit right in.
Speaker 10: It kind of seemed like he didn't really need to make any new friends honestly, which was rare. But uh, you know, I loved Ddie when I played with him at Obama. Obviously he's a ball hog. Already had a pick six I think yesterday. So what is gonna bring to the team is you know, kind of filling in that that uh, that role that Gen know play last year where he was able to be very successful and then different other other pieces he can do. So he was definitely a piece we we needed to kind of we kind of got that depth in the corner position in the draft and we just kind of needed that one more safety and a couple of other editions that I'm sure we'll probably add. Uh, you know, we always love it late in the camp signing, so problem sure there's more pieces to come. But I love the team we got, love the guys we got. I think if we could start the season right now, we'd be good to go. But if they feel we need to add guys, it's it's a it's never a bad things.
Speaker 2: The talk at any point baseball last a couple of years going to the safety and in particular what the iss.
Speaker 4: No, there hasn't been.
Speaker 10: That's uh, That's something I've always seen myself doing, though I've just uh, that's just kind of now how I how I kind of envisioned my career. Honestly, it's kind of coming in the league was not how it should be. I always had this weird thing that I wanted to play for like six teams and then I realized that's not cool at all to play for a lot of teams. So, uh, but safety is something that I that I still think I'd end up doing one of these one of these years. So it hasn't been any talks of that, but I know there's definitely been talks of me or b Seve bumping in a nickel, you know, just like I said, just to be able to where we can bump move around in any way.
Speaker 5: Okay, because you and then you don't make excuse you feel healthy at any point lesson how do you feel now?
Speaker 10: For yeah, man, it's uh. Last year was it was a unique year. It was Uh, it was it was a lot of first I would say it was a mentally you know, I always felt I don't know, I'm just I'm a mental guy. So I always go into any game thinking I'm ready to go. I mean the first game I sprent it one time before I played in the first game on that Friday.
Speaker 4: So it was a lot of things of.
Speaker 10: Every time I felt like I was pretty healthy, I seemed like it seemed like I hurt the next game. So but you know, not really making you know, the excuses, but it's, uh, basically what I what I've tried to do this offseason is to prepare a little better for even when you're hurt, getting whatever or whatever's you know, you got to prepare for the worst. So even if your leg is hurt, what can you do to still get mental reps and also just breathing as much as gain, doing anything with your arms, getting whatever you can. I think that's kind of some of the things I regret last year, is attacking the rehab, but also what can you do to stay in it for when when you're ready to go.
Speaker 4: So that was probably the one of the things.
Speaker 10: I was trying to have certain injuries where you needed rest, and I think I overtook some of the rest time and then just thought I could just play in the game Sunday and be be.
Speaker 4: My usual self.
Speaker 10: So that's probably some of the things I regret. But mainly, you know, it's it's such a long season. I wasn't really used to being hurt a lot, you know, so it was it was it was just something I wasn't used to. I know a lot of guys going to games hurt every single game. I've done that a ton in my past as well, but last year just was was a little different for me. But but I'm kind of ready for whatever the ship.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like I like playing Nickel.
Speaker 10: I I Nickel, you you kind of I like hitting people and uh, you can get pretty aggresive at corner, but you just can't get too aggressive. So playing Nickel is I've a The first time I ever played Nickel, it was with Wink and I think we had to our first two games. It was a top receiver at Nickel, I mean had a slot receiver, and he was like, why don't you just match up and follow the guy in there.
Speaker 4: I wasn't very comfortable with it.
Speaker 10: I didn't really want to do it, but I just I was just a team guy, so I went with it, and then I really kind of started enjoying it. You know, made my first two Pro Bowls kind of predominantly playing inside there.
Speaker 4: So it's a place I'm comfortable in.
Speaker 10: But you know, whichever, whichever way it goes, whatever week, the game plan is. I know, Kyle is a Swiss army knife, so what he can do with Nickel and and safety and everything is is whatever.
Speaker 4: So I'm kind of down for whatever.
Speaker 1: Another first round quarterback is Nate Wiggins that he talked with the media today.
Speaker 9: You're being targeted that much through OTAs and training cap or and Minnie camp. But we've seen you get targeted a few times in training camp already been making plays on the ball. Do you feel like there's been a shift in You're a billion bike plays on the ball now that the ball is getting actually thrown at you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I feel like that's a it's a good job. It's a good thing. That's the ball again passing my way, so I can, uh, you like, better work on my technique, getting my eyes around for the ball, playing the ball better.
Speaker 6: So I feel like it's a good thing.
Speaker 5: It's only been a.
Speaker 9: Few days, but it's a power for you. What's the biggest difference between getting.
Speaker 7: Right for the season in college and then you're really just I mean probably just meetings, longer meetings for real.
Speaker 6: I mean, football is gonna be football. It's really not.
Speaker 7: It's really not different than college is just probably been been in the billing all day.
Speaker 6: It's really a job now. So yeah, and you.
Speaker 2: If you're a guy who's watched at the college tape, totally trust your make up spears.
Speaker 3: It's clearly you do.
Speaker 2: And then at the NFL level, if you're beend in an additional pressure and get a little bit more gravvy than you do.
Speaker 6: Uh No, I don't really feel like I'm getting grabby.
Speaker 7: I just feel like, uh I'm better, Like I'm trying to work better than not like using my ketch up, speeding more, using my hands better than line of scrimmers.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 7: Uh, I'm not trying to use my speed. So yeah, I I feel like that's what I need to change.
Speaker 8: You need a lot of a lot of corners that don't practically especially, but I feel like the to talk and go with.
Speaker 4: Refusers or uh how would you would you put put yourself in that kind of category.
Speaker 5: You're a talker out.
Speaker 6: There, Yeah, I'll talk a lot. Uh that's this is part of my game.
Speaker 7: I feel like, uh, this bring me more confidence in my game, just talking to the receiver.
Speaker 6: Getting in his head.
Speaker 4: So what do you think the reaction?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 6: Some receiver it don't talk.
Speaker 7: Some receiver try to talk about So it's all dependent who the receivers are.
Speaker 4: Who's been fun to engage with the camps so far?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 6: Uh my auto receiver test, you know.
Speaker 7: Uh, meant to go back to college, say Flowers, Uh, Bateman's just like all the receivers nearly. It's just it's just good competition. So we getting all getting each other better for her.
Speaker 8: Trust from Marland, Humphrey wanted me to ask you aback day.
Speaker 6: See that. Okay, this is not my nickname. He gave it to me.
Speaker 7: He he called me nasty Nate. You know he's because I guess I play nasty defense. I guess, so that's his nickname for me. He wanted me to tell y'all that that's my nickname, but it I I ain't.
Speaker 6: It's not official for me yet, so I don't know. It might get official, but we don't know yet.
Speaker 4: As a compliment, yeah, I take that comment.
Speaker 6: Yeah, definitely from Marlin.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, sir, he's only been the.
Speaker 3: League for three years.
Speaker 4: How much is he can talk?
Speaker 7: How much you kind of you know, leadership because for you he brings uh a lot of leadership to the uh to the room. Just just been there, you know, like most of the whole defense. So I asked him questions and he just put me in where I need to be.
Speaker 4: Ley down.
Speaker 8: How much do you think it's gonna help you? Playing in the secondary where there's so much talent, you know, and gods should have experiences.
Speaker 4: You can go to multiple people for a.
Speaker 5: Blafe, you know.
Speaker 6: I feel like that's gonna help me a lot.
Speaker 7: Like you said, I can just go to anybody, anybody in the dB room asking them questions.
Speaker 6: So I feel like that's gonna happen me in the long run.
Speaker 8: You feel like that's kind of taking you under their wing.
Speaker 7: And I feel like everybody, like all the events in the in the room, taking all the young kids, uh, guiding them through the through the coverages, through the practice.
Speaker 1: So the Ravens also have Kyle Hamilton on the back end of the defense. He's one of the best, the most versatile players in all of football, and he talked about what his expectations are for this year.
Speaker 3: It's everybody, how are we doing? How was summer?
Speaker 9: Sure?
Speaker 3: Nice, It'll be back few.
Speaker 9: Seasons, Zam. We've seen you do just about everything that a safety can be asked to do in the NFL. Do you feel like there's still things that you can add to your game or is it more about refining and improving all the different aspects of things that you Uh.
Speaker 3: I think it's a yes to both of those.
Speaker 11: I think there's a lot of stuff that you guys may not notice that my coaches may not notice that I know I can improve on do better. And I think there's a lot of players that I left out there last year and gives me something to kind of work on and uh in terms of that including in addition to the leading and being more vocal and stuff like that, kind of stepping into a role now that I've you know, had a good year, it's just time to build on that, not only as with my play, but also as a leader.
Speaker 8: When you came into the league, did you envision yourself playing this many spots?
Speaker 4: And has it grown on you? I mean, do you like it more than you thought? Or did you something you always wanted?
Speaker 8: If it's curious what your thought was gonna happen supposed to what has happened.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think at Notre Dame, I did a little bit of everything. Coming in the league. You know, I don't know, I really didn't expect to. I think I'm more expected to just play both safety spots. I think that was going to be the extent of my flexibility. But it's been awesome to just be able to move around, learn more about the defense, stuff like that. And I just said something to somebody else over there, like I just go week to week.
Speaker 3: Just Monday meetings, come in.
Speaker 11: Whatever they need me to do, if that's play deep, play in the half, play down the box, cover whatever they need me to do, I'm here for it, and uh just want to get better at everything.
Speaker 5: Do you notice that from inside the secondary?
Speaker 3: How do you mean conspicuous?
Speaker 11: Okay, I thought you were trying to say it was suspect. I was like, oh wow, uh I didn't graduate. Can repread the question? Sorry, this secondary looks fast?
Speaker 3: Okay, there we go. Yes, it does look fast to me as well.
Speaker 11: Kind of funny you look around the room and you know Nate obviously ran forward too. I'm probably the slowest guy in there at well, at least at the combine. But yeah, we got Marlin in there, Marcus is running. Everybody's running in that room. And I think that's a big thing along with us conditioning and being out there getting a lot of reps. You know, running fast for a long time not getting tired is a huge advantage, especially going in the later parts of the season. And you know, it's just say that we can't get off the field in a series and we're going in to play thirteen in the high red zone and we need to stop. And that's something that we might have given up a touchdown on last year, and so we're just building on conditioning and add more speed to the room.
Speaker 2: Attention wise, it's not something you're really big into when we talked about that last year. But now that you've become a star in the league, But what was it like going for the off season in regard whether opportunities for thing to do.
Speaker 4: If you embrace that a little more, you're still like, oh.
Speaker 9: God, this sucks.
Speaker 3: Yes and no.
Speaker 11: I think it's kind of funny to see, I guess for lack of better where it's just like notoriety that I've gotten from playing well and kind of almost feels like expected, like this is supposed to happen. And in my household and my mom is just like my dad, everybody's just like, yeah, you're supposed to get better here two and do well and get accolades.
Speaker 3: So that's just.
Speaker 11: Kind of what the norm was. I mean, it's obviously I'm super grateful for it and everything that's come with it. I've always said I want to be rich. I don't want to be famous. So I mean, I think I'm cool where I'm at on the level of fame. Uh, maybe could get even lower, but but now it's it's super exciting just to have the opportunities as well.
Speaker 3: And be part of all this.
Speaker 11: Eddie Jackson, oh Bell jack he's uh, well he first practice he went out there got a pick six, which was fire.
Speaker 3: He's really cool, dude.
Speaker 11: You know, it's always funny hearing him tell stories about college Marlon and how wild he was, and you know, he's kind of toned it down a little bit now. So but he's another vet that we seem to do this all the time, just get these vets that come here and do so much for us during the season, and it's it's gonna be so big for us to have him as a part of the team. And with the other guys in the dB room, we're just so deep at that in that room that it's just we can never get tired. We can never have somebody that's on the field that's a liability. It's just such a disadvantage for the offense to trot it out the same people and have us rotating guys, and I think it's really special to have him where my.
Speaker 3: Mom SATs Marlin did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess have you noticed it?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 11: I mean, uh no, Yeah, I actually did notice a little bit. He was getting a little gut last year. He wasn't playing a lot. I mean, he just had a little chunkiness, but he dropped it. He's at his property and Dama doing the workouts, and you know, he's looking good. He's uh, he's got the abs back, he's looking good out there, he's running, he's covering very well right now, and excited to see him this year.
Speaker 8: Now, when you watch film from week to week, how much do you ever go to the coaches to say, like, I think this week, if I do this, I can cause most damage and like you're looking forward to maybe as you learn more, having even more input, like a back and forth with them about what you should do.
Speaker 11: Not really, honestly, I kind of let them do their job in that area also. I mean I was in year two last year even though I was playing well, It's like kind of got earn your stripes before you start doing that. So but yeah, they did a great job. Was just putting me where I needed to be. And putting everybody in the position to be successful last year, So I really didn't feel the need to say that going into a game. If there were any disputes or confusion out on the practice field during a game week, they're all for us saying something or we don't see it playing like this, We see you playing like that, and we'll change it for the game plan. And I appreciate them. And that's top to bottom with the offense as well. They do that and special teams. It's just it's a symbiotic relationship between us and the coaches for sure. And all hearing this about Marlin, you seem to be a guy who's one of his closest friends in the building.
Speaker 3: Did you sense last year how much he was annoyed that he wasn't able to be himself of the injury six stee and one.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think he's still, I mean super young. I think he came in at twenty so he's going into year eight. He just turned twenty eight, and he's still moving really fast. He's one of the fast guys on the team. And I think he hasn't had a ton of injuries besides the peck. I think a few years ago, and it's just it's tough to see a guy work so hard and not be able to reap the benefits of it. And he's one of those guys where he's the same guy every day, and you don't get a lot of them in the league. That's the same guy no matter what's going on, what his situation is. It's always about the team and super fun to be around. And I don't think the Ravens are what the Ravens are right now without Marlin the past eight years. And you know, losing a guy like that in and out last year it could be tough on the team, But for him, it didn't affect him at all in terms of his support for us. And he was always there, whether he was on the field or not, trying as much as he can to help, and whether that's making us laugh or actually helping with the coverage. I think that he does a great job both of those. So that guy said, I'm excited for him to get I can get back to who he is.
Speaker 4: I guess the thing that jumps out under Zach Or with his vision three dice.
Speaker 11: As the secondary, I would say, just letting us go out there and play. I think that's such a big thing that can get lost sometimes in defenses because it's a very ego field business sometimes and not saying that within the Ravens, just stuff I've heard is just like we're gonna do our defense this way, and this a you're gonna do it, and this you're gonna play, and this leverage you're gonna play, and that's it. It's no way of fans or butts. And I think Zo and everybody in the room has done a great job of just saying, like like I was saying earlier, like what do you see this as? And I want you guys be able to play fast if I can simplify it for y'all and not trying to dress up everything to cover every single play that the offense has and just let y'all play fast. Y'all are good enough athletes to go take care of it. So I think that's something he's done really well with and he just does a great job just managing everything.
Speaker 3: I'm super excited for him.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Ravens Press pass potcasts. Also head over to the Lounge podcast feed. Subscribe to both of these podcasts. Thank you for listening. We'll be back with you tomorrow,