Speaker 1: Lots to say with Bobby Bones and Matt Castle is a production of the NFL and iHeart podcasts.
Speaker 2: We got lots just say, we got lots to save.
Speaker 3: What a backer here?
Speaker 2: And we hope you say because we.
Speaker 4: Got lots to say.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we got lots to say.
Speaker 2: Now here's Bobby and that. I feel like people judge me when they come to my house and the studio is at my house, but it's not in the house, it's a building on the property behind the house. Like, but when you pulled up, there's a massive Amazon box right on the front porch, And then I feel like if there's a box or two boxes, people just judge you for uh not being detail oriented. So did you at all think, man, what a slob that guy is because he has Amazon boxes on his front porch when you drove up there was scattered all over the place.
Speaker 3: No, because at the end of the day, I have more box random boxes show up to my house on a weekly basis that I haven't ordered any of those things, so I don't even know what kind of boxes. There's usually three or four boxes at my gate per day. We've got five kids, too.
Speaker 2: So who has access to the ordering My wife.
Speaker 3: Definitely, I have access to ordering, but I really randomly will use Amazon just for simple things. I need razors. I can't get the store boom, I'm going to order it package up with something. But I mean, we have shoes that come to the house, socks. This week we had new sheets for the bed. Somehow the bed ripped the sheet. I think I don't know how. It wasn't any activity that I was doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so many kids. I was going to guess how. But okay, if you're saying that, when.
Speaker 3: You figured out how that happens. So I went and saw the doctor about it. Actually, I saw the veterinarian. I got a two for one deal with my dog nice. It was great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess I wondered. But with your family, how old did a kid or does a kid need to be to have access to the Amazon.
Speaker 3: Oh, there's no chance I'd ever give my kids access.
Speaker 2: Oh none of them have open Amazon.
Speaker 3: Oh are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Do you know?
Speaker 3: My It's random? Like we'd have seeds show up and I'm what I'm talking about is like the baseball seeds my kids are obsessed with. My boys are baseball seeds. But the most random stuff that they go on Amazon like can I get this? Can I get that? I was like, no, you don't need any of this stuff. No access a disaster. Yes.
Speaker 2: I pulled up recent things I bought online. Random. I bought Alpha Momentous Alpha GPS supplement, fantastic.
Speaker 3: It sounds great. Any anything that has alpha in it's winning.
Speaker 2: That's a good point. I mean it's number one.
Speaker 3: Have you taken it yet?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, And it sounds like it's something you used for like your sexual drive. It's not. It's for like cognitive right health? No, yeah, I just everybody knows.
Speaker 3: Is that the Joe Rogan thing?
Speaker 2: No, it's not that alpha brain. It's probably something similar. Ish. I bought a thirty pound bag of marshmallows of Lucky Charms, Marshmallows, thirty pounds. It's a massive bag. And now on my radio show tried to I offered somebody fifteen hundred dollars to eat the whole bag in four hours.
Speaker 3: Were they able to even?
Speaker 2: Nobody?
Speaker 3: I mean thirty pounds of much, I mean, what is it?
Speaker 2: Marshmallows likey toms marshmallows that to cinigrate though we're not talking about Chewie marshmallows.
Speaker 3: I know, but still that's thirty pounds worth it. That's pretty intense.
Speaker 2: No, I agree, but that's why I offered himifteen hundred bucks. I wanted somebody to at least try it, and nobody did. And then finally I have a bought pickleballs. I bought sixteen new pickleballs. That's my recent random ordering. What do you have randomly?
Speaker 3: What did you buy here randomly? You know, like sometimes you're scrolling on the Twitter and stuff and these ads will come up. So recently I bought a three D printer. I've known way and so you know they've got the mid line one. And then I was like, you know what mid line? Okay, I'm going.
Speaker 2: To get the big dog question about a three D printer with you. What did you want to print? Because that sounds super cool and I see like toys and medical supplies. But when you see that, you think I'd like to have that because.
Speaker 3: Blank, Honestly, a guy came over to my house was working on my television, said he got a three D printer and he was saying, yeah, we make everything from vases to these little pots. He said, We've got all these little toys. That we can make for the kids. In addition to that, they'll make anything from like a scraper, a paint scraper to I don't know, I mean to honestly, he sold me on it, so I was like, this sounds rad so I went on.
Speaker 2: So it came up though, because your phone heard it, Yes, it must have heard it first. Yeah, because I don't get ads for three D printers, right, got it?
Speaker 3: Got it?
Speaker 2: So I went on.
Speaker 3: I purchased this, and of course I'm thinking it's like a smaller version. It's as big as that track man like.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's stereosis three feet tall.
Speaker 3: It's massive. I was like, oops, I don't know where to put this right here, but it is.
Speaker 2: It's awesome. But okay, have you used it?
Speaker 3: Well, I won't hook up to my phone and through the bluetooth.
Speaker 2: It's awesome. How can you get because it's.
Speaker 3: Already got pre programmed things that you can go in and actually three D print. So my kids have printed out like these puzzles.
Speaker 2: So it Oh, you've used it. It's worked.
Speaker 3: It's unbelievable. Wow, it's within thirty minutes it printed. It was able to three D print this whole jewelry box. For my daughter that was pre input it into the system.
Speaker 2: What do you put in as okay, we'll call it the paper. What do you put in? There's no paper? No, no, but let's say you have to put in paper to get paper printed out. What do you put in that would be the same as paper into a normal printer? Is it like a chemical?
Speaker 3: What is it? So?
Speaker 2: It is this?
Speaker 3: It looks like a plastic and it looks like, honestly, a really big fishing line. And they've got these different compartments up there with different colors, and then you put it into this little little area right here that sucks it down in and then as you print, it uses the different coloring system and just goes takes literally thirty minutes. It prints anything, and it's remarkable and sturdy. It's fascinating.
Speaker 2: That's legit over five hundred bucks.
Speaker 3: I think it was around six fifty. I can't believe I bought a three D print for the first time for six hundred and fifty bucks. But then you also have to get, you know, the accessories that go along with it. But it was It's blew my mind. The kids have been using it at school for some time, which kind of drew my interest to it.
Speaker 2: What do you mean using it as school?
Speaker 3: So they one of their science classes, they go in and they're able to three D print. For instance, my daughter was there and they had to put together a business concept. Hers was a new type of shoe, so she did a three D print of a shoe that she designed for her business model.
Speaker 2: That's that's so legit.
Speaker 3: And it looks like a legit shoe, like a high top, and had the design and all that. So it's it was pretty cool like that. So I've seen components of it, but never actually use it until now.
Speaker 2: I just ordered one. Yeah, in that conversation, I just ordered one. What else you got?
Speaker 3: Oh? So I like to shoot a little bit, but I haven't been shooting for a long time. Of course, this you know, full metal thing that swings back and forth. I ordered one off of Twitter.
Speaker 2: A full metal thing like that throws skin. No, I'm sorry, I've already got that.
Speaker 3: It's actually target shooting, so it throws the targets. No, it's it just as a standalone target, but when you shoot one side, it swings the other side so you can keep shooting. And it's got six different targets. I forgot completely that even ordered this thing, and of course it shows up to my house. I'm like, what is this hunk a metal? And I open it up. I was like, oh, yeah, I got a shooting range at the house.
Speaker 2: Now have you taken it out?
Speaker 3: Not at all?
Speaker 2: Have you hit a three D printed one of those though, and not even buying?
Speaker 3: I know I thought about that. Now Now I'm pretty upset with myself, but pretty stoked. It's just gonna get out to work some more.
Speaker 2: Your stuff's way more random than mine.
Speaker 3: It's so random.
Speaker 2: Mine's like nutrients and pickleballs. Yours is like a three D printer for jewelry boxes and a way to shoot away your anxiety. So the NFL is weird right now because it's at a very boring time and they do a great job of keeping it active all year, but this is even the boring time pre draft, meaning everybody's falling into kind of their slots we think they are, we don't really know. We know cam Ward is going to go one of the Titans because they said we're not even gonna watch Shre right right, So they're not going to go Sugar, They're not gonna go Travis Hunter. So the Titans are at one unless they trade it. We know that's the deal. And I think what's exciting about the draft is we kind of don't know. Travis Hunter's odds have popped up to number two the betting odds, right, But now there's really not much to talk about until the draft, and I'm watching Shuter's pro day and now because there's nothing to talk about, you have to find things to talk about. And the big debate is how he pats the ball, of course, so why is it bad that someone pats the ball.
Speaker 3: A lot of people will make the argument that if you pat the ball, you give that defensive back and extra beat because they know that you're about to throw right, so you pat the ball. But honestly, I think it's an overrated quality that people look at sometimes because everybody has their throwing emotion. It's sometimes just naturally part of their throwing emotion. He still has a quick release as long as the ball's out on time, and a lot of times, look if it's man to man defense, that defensive back's not looking at you anyway. And then in addition to that, in terms of zone, you're always going through your progression and going through your read and you have to deliver the ball on time and with accuracy. Now, if you're staring down a wide receiver when it's zone defense, then you're already giving your tail right.
Speaker 2: You've got to be good with your eyes.
Speaker 3: You have to manipulate the defense, particularly the second level of defense. And when I say that, I mean linebackers to move them off spots in zone. When it's a man demand. You just have to throw the ball accurately, have your guy go up and get the ball, or it's all about the timing. So if you throw with anticipation timing, I think that that's more important than anything else, because when you watch his footwork, he's got really good footwork. He's always got a solid foundation. He throws off of a really good platform, So that's more important to me. And then it's the high level processing. Can you process the game quickly? Can you get through your reads? Can you make the appropriate checks at the right time. That's what makes a really good quarterback. It's not always about patting the ball. I used to pat the ball all the time, but that's probably why I was on seven teams.
Speaker 2: Was it ever an issue with a quick I say, a three step drop and you're just looking to get rid of the ball fast. I wonder if you're a pat or do you still pad it quickly or can that actually slow down? If it's a quick three step drop and throw, would that slow it down?
Speaker 3: I think it's all about your delivery itself. Some guys have elongated deliveries. So you remember Brian Leftwich. He honestly looked like he was throwing a baseball at times. And then you got guys that have really compact, short deliveries and they might pat the ball, but it doesn't matter because that ball's coming out even on three step drops. If that's kind of part of your routine and how you throw the football, you're gonna pat that ball just because you're not even thinking about it. Right. It's something that's muscle memory that you've been doing it forever. Now you can work on it, and you'd always try to because coach would say, don't pat the ball, don't do this. But more importantly, it was about, well, am I throwing the ball on time? Is it coming on my hand or is it actually slowing down the ball getting there because it's taking too long for that to happen because you're patting the ball.
Speaker 2: I've never heard of patting the ball being so negative so many times as the last couple of days, because this is kind of the down period of even within the draft, so they're picking apart everything. Were there any ticks that were found about you that maybe you even developed while you were a pro, that either you saw or someone else saw that you had to change.
Speaker 3: I constantly had to work on overstriding because I had a baseball background. Baseball's such a different motion, particularly for pitchers. Right you're coming off a small mound, You're striding out, and your stride length is going down that mound, and so you and also the motion of your arm. So there was times that I would get too far spread out and get out on my front foot, and that was just something I naturally was able to overcome and play with throughout my career. However, when you'd see it, either were constantly working on that in the off season. In addition to that, it was ball security in the pocket or when you become a because a lot of times quarterbacks, particularly back in my time, and it's not even that long ago, when you take off running, you were running because you had to. It's not because you wanted to, and so ball security you'd get loose and you're just not used to carrying the ball like that. And then inside the pocket itself, something that was always harped on for anybody that's working in the pocket is two hands on the pocket, in the pocket on the ball, because a lot of times what happens is we get lazy and you'll see your off hand kind of come off the ball and that's when strip sacks happen and bad things happen.
Speaker 2: Would you know that or would someone have to watch and tell you things like your offhand is off the ball.
Speaker 3: I could recognize it, but there were times when coaches would come and be like, cash, we got to get that hand, and it was just once again, it could be a clean game. But there was multiple times in that game where I took that offhand off the ball in the pocket, which a guy got close and I was lucky enough to get it, or a strip sack did occur because I was being lazy with my ball security in the pocket. Some of the guys that do it the best, I meant Stafford I played with him in Detroit. He was fundamentally so sound, but he would have two hands on the ball in the pocket all the time, and it's something that we drilled constantly.
Speaker 2: Is there any chance that would slow down the delivery?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 2: If you're locked down with two hands, even fractionally, you're holding a two where if one hand is off, I feel like you can you know, pull back and release quicker or is it so fractional it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: It's very fractional. But at the same time, it goes back to the padding part. And that's why I think people sometimes make a big deal out of it, is if you naturally pat the ball, sometimes that offhand is usually just in a comfortable position near the ball because you're getting ready to start your delivery versus having it there, and it's almost like you're pushing that offhand with the ball back to start that delivery instead of padding.
Speaker 2: I'm curious about self scouting. I probably a year and a half or so ago, I found a couple of people in my business and radio and I said, hey, I want you two people I respect it. I said, I want you independently they didn't know of each other, to pay you to listen to my show for two weeks straight, and I want you to develop a plan to beat me as if you were going to start a new national show. I want you to identify every weakness I have, and if I were paying you to find my vulnerabilities to take me down, I want to read that report. And so I paid two different people to do it. They didn't know of each other, and they spent two weeks listening to every second of everything that I did, and they both developed a plan to beat me. And what that allowed me to do was to see those holes and fix those holes, and a lot of the things they were actually aligned on, which was good because that meant I needed to work. And although I have a gigantic ego, because you have to have one in this business, I don't have an ego that hurts me in this business because I know I have a lot of work to do always and I'm always developing ticks that I need to work myself out of. And so that was me self scouting. That was me hiring somebody to break me down, to find my weaknesses so I could plug them up. As a player, would you ever grab film of yourself or have someone else do it to find how you could better yourself by finding how where your weaknesses were.
Speaker 3: I think that it's an ongoing process. When you have coaching staff, and even when you're going through the season, all they're ever doing is usually pointing out your weaknesses. They're really focused, hyper focused on what can you do better? How can we solve this problem? Even with our drill work, when we start throughout mini camps, going into camp, everything we go back in, We critique that film on a daily basis. We watch film in the morning, we go and watch the practice right after, so it's fresh on your mind. And every part of that is coaching and critiquing how can we get better, whether it's a footwork drill, whether it's two hands on the pocket, it could be particular reads. So you're getting instantaneous feedback almost on a daily basis. And so you do have to have thick skin because I think there's a lot of players out there that take a I mean all constructive criticism as criticism, and they go into this little hole and they're too prideful about the fact that they're not willing to understand the coaches just making a point. He's not trying to attack you personally. He's trying to make you a better player. And it might come off a little harsh at times, because when you get called out in front of a team, it is one of those moments where you look in the mirror and you go, gosh, I don't want to feel that way again, because you know you let down your team, and particularly in games. That's the hardest thing is, you know, at the quarterback position in particular, but any position, if you make a big mistake in a game that really swings the momentum and you end up losing that game, whether it's an interception because you were lazy with your read, or you didn't have ball security, whatever it might be. You missed a check at the line of scrimmage that resulted in a ten yard loss, and now you got to punt and give them an opportunity to go down and win. You're your hardish, harshest critic, and you've got to be able to deal with that, and so you take I always took that type of coaching as a way to get better, as hard as it was to swallow at times.
Speaker 2: Someone though, had to instill that in you, meaning there's an understanding at some point of the person's not trying to take me down for the sake of them going up. What they're trying to do is make me better. That's a hard place to land if you've never had that instilled into you because and also, I imagine if you've been really great your whole life, eighth grade, senior in high school, you're not getting a lot of criticism, and you get to the next level and all of a sudden, you're being critiqued. That's probably a different tasting dose of medicine. It is.
Speaker 3: And I think because of the way my career went, as you said, I was successful growing up playing sports. I was recruited by all the big time programs, got a scholarship to USC. But when I showed up at USC, I got my humble pie pretty quick. I was readschered. My first year, sat behind Carson as a backup, never really played, played some different positions, but I had to face criticism all the time, and I always felt like I was going to be the next in line, and so I had to learn how to deal with adverse see, and there was times when, quite honest with you, I would blame the coaches. You know, they're not seeing this, Oh I was. I was with the twos and everything was external. You're right, And then all of a sudden you start to realize, look, all this stuff is happening. I've got to figure out I got to take some of the shoulder to blame a little bit, understand how to make myself better and not play the blame game. And I think that was something I really started to learn in college because there was a lot of difficult days that I went through. Is particularly mentally, where I wasn't where I wanted to be, wasn't achieving what I wanted to do. I was sitting there kind of wasting away, and it was how am I going to become better today? And that's just kind of the mentality. And then I also took the ft approach, like screw it, Like I can't worry about all the rest of the stuff. All I can do is worry about myself and how I can get myself better today.
Speaker 2: I think that's the line of there's a line of quitting to being good. In that line of realizing that you can control you and that everything coming at you isn't because they're against you. That's where you go good to great when you can actually take feedback that doesn't feel good and turn it into good. Because I think we've both been in situations too where the attack is coming and you understand the attack is personal and it's not to actually make you better. It's for a reason the attacker has some sort of re But then when you can differentiate and understand that people are the people that are on your side are just trying to make you better. And this uncomfortableness is like any other uncomfortableness in life, Like if you grow, it hurts physically, mentally, emotionally, if there's any growth, it hurts if you're twelve years old and you have a growth spurt, it hurts if you read a book and you're growing emotionally, intellectually, spiritually, like that is difficult, that's time. So any growth hurts, But it's understanding the difference and who's trying to hurt you and who's allowing you to hurt so you can get better. Yes, the practicing is interesting that you bring up because listen, I tapped out high school football. We didn't film practices. When did practices start to get filmed for you? Because I feel like that would be a whole different ballgame. Like I felt I got to practice a lot harder if I knew there was a camera on right. It was.
Speaker 3: Honestly, when I got to college, they you film every single practice any in high school, No, we just filmed filmed the games, that's right. Yeah, they got the terrible footage up top top of the bleachers, and you come in the next day on Saturday morning. You got donuts laid out and you're gonna watch the film and you got to your coach is yelling at you a little bit. But then when you get to college, it kind of becomes that professional type setting. Right, They're gonna critique every single thing you do. You're gonna talk about it, you're going to diagnose it, You're going to try to learn through the film. And you can learn so much by just watching yourself on a daily basis. And the other thing that I really benefited from was watching a guy like Carson Palmer, like his mechanics, how he handled himself, his different footwork. I could watch that and then try to emulate those things as well. So when you watch somebody doing something at a really high level, I always learned a lot from that as well watching film. So even in the offseason, I'd go and watch some of the most successful quarterbacks of the previous season. What are they doing well. What routes are they completing? Why are they being successful? Is it because they're getting through the reads? Is its concepts? What might it be that I can start to apply to my game.
Speaker 2: I would ask if practice was more intense because it was always being filmed. But then I was thinking when I did a show like Dancing with the Stars and they recorded practice the entire time because they were looking for any nugget, not just in the practice, but any sort of drama, anything to make a storyline up, right, And the first like three days of practice, you're very aware there's a camera there. But then the camera's just there and you're just on with your normal life, and like I wanted to win. I strive to be better at everything I do, just about and so naturally I work very hard. But that extra camera intensity wasn't there any longer because there was a camera there. It was just what I put on me.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: My assumption is that is a bit how practice feels if it's being recorded. At first, you're like, oh, I got to be so precise a practice, and then either you're a precise person or you're not. You kind of forget that the camera is there, right, it's just.
Speaker 3: It's naturally what happens at the NFL practice, I mean college NFL practices as they film it, and so you just get used to that routine. Is you know that it's just another tool, another mechanism for them to use to go back evaluate you. You can evaluate yourself. And we spend so much time watching film and also now with the new technologies that they have in these programs where you can break down down from the distance of three to six, six to nine ten plus and start to learn that these these all these teams have these specific defenses that they run in this down and distance and so it's also a tool that really helps you. You can watch all their blitz packages, you know, all their overload blitz and so it prepares you to how to protect yourself against certain blitz is where to go with the offensive line. So it's really fascinating when you use film to your advantage, how much you can learn out of it.
Speaker 2: Technology itself is fascinating in preparation. My brother in law is one of the coaches on the Arkansas softball team, and so going up and just working out with them a little bit or hitting balls, but they have a cage a pitching machine and they can emulate the movement and the pitches of the pitchers they're about to face.
Speaker 3: Seriously.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so it's a computer. If they know she throws twenty six percent rise balls, they can program it for the bad or there. In baseball they can do this. You know, they have like I have a golf simulator with a big screen, but in baseball they can have a pitcher. You know, let's say you're up against Randy Johnson's they put a seven foot guy up and they can emulate his fastballs, says, and do it at the ratio that he does it.
Speaker 3: It's unbelievable how quickly it changes, too, because even by the tail end of my career, they started to bring in this program where you'd put on it's like an oculus, right, and you're sitting there and it has the defensive side of the ball there and it's got your guys on this side. But you can watch the film as if you're going through your reads or making your calls at the line of scrimmage with an actual defense in front of you that looks real. So it's just another way to visualize and see defenses and get more reps. And time on task and this is all something that was new to me. I was like, this is incredible.
Speaker 2: That's a big Jaden Daniels thing, like he did it at LSU and then when he came to Washington was I must have this here. I remember talking about that. Yeah, we talked to them about that. On this show, we do have Bruce Buffer coming up, who is the ring announcer for UFC. His line is.
Speaker 3: It's tarm I hope that was right.
Speaker 2: That's good, that's good, that's right, right right, that's right. It was beautiful. Yea, yeah, thank you.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: So before we get Bruce, we have a game called who Said It? Bruce is known for his iconic it's time that he yells before UFC match. So, as you can see, this has all been redacted, so I do not know what the lines are going to be. Oh great, So I just had to set up here. So Kevin is going to go through some of the most infamous quotes of all time and we're gonna see if we can guess who said them. Are are we getting different ones or we get the same ones?
Speaker 4: Different ones?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Uh so he'll read five for each of us. We'll see how many we can get. All right, you want to go one one or you want to go one to three four five, one to three.
Speaker 4: Four five, I'll go one, two, three four five.
Speaker 6: Okaya first, can read or Brandon ovir take keep score over there?
Speaker 2: Oh I got score too, buddy.
Speaker 4: All right, all right, I may have a haven't seen this, No.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I literally this is the page. I don't want to cheat because it's not fun for me.
Speaker 4: Okay, good, I have the actual one.
Speaker 3: I bet you're super competitive, like in board games and.
Speaker 2: Stuff that I want to win. I can see that, but I don't want to win anything, not by being awesome. Okay, let's go be awesome. Okay.
Speaker 4: One question for you guys.
Speaker 6: Do you want me to read it as they said it or read it like as bland and boring as possible?
Speaker 2: Just read it straightforward, Just read it, not as an not Well if there's an accent on it, though, that gives it away.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Just read it as you Okay, normal, and we'll just try to figure it out.
Speaker 3: Okay, who's first?
Speaker 4: Bobby's first? I'll be doing I'm doing five in a row, doing five in a row go practice. We're talking about practice.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's Alan I Everson practice practice.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay.
Speaker 6: Number two, when you're rich, you don't write tricks. You don't write checks, straight cash homie.
Speaker 2: Oh the back part is Randy Moss.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't have got that from the beginning. When you're rich, you don't right checks, but straight cash, homie. I got Randy Moss. And then then I mooned the camera fakely with my fake pants.
Speaker 6: Two for two so far. Number three, you play to win the game. Hello, you play to win the game.
Speaker 2: You play to win the game. Hello. Okay, I got it. This is not for you.
Speaker 3: I know, I just got it.
Speaker 2: I can see him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who do you coach for?
Speaker 2: Well, the Vikings in Arizona? Are those correct?
Speaker 4: He might have at some point, but not with this quote.
Speaker 2: Wrap Raiders Colts. It's not Jim Mora. Is that who you're thinking?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not.
Speaker 2: No, it's not Jim Moore. You're thinking of practice. Yeah, it's because Jim Moore is an old white guy. This is a black dude. Yep.
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah, I know exactly who it is. He did coach for the Cardinals in Minnesota.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I just can't think of his name. I'm not going to accept an any help. I'll miss it.
Speaker 4: Okay, Herm Edwards, you were getting there?
Speaker 2: He was on the Gens said, I'm thinking of Yes, that's what I was thinking of. I was not thinking of harm Edwards.
Speaker 4: Who are you thinking of?
Speaker 3: Any Green?
Speaker 2: Yes? Oh that's what I was seeing in my head because he's Arizona and the Vikings. Yes, yeah, okay, I messed okay, And he was trying to like, I don't know why he's trying to help a guy's compete because I feel insulted that he feels like he needs to give me charity. A second, like he was giving me wrong charity. So maybe he was like he was he gained sabotage me go ahead.
Speaker 4: Number four.
Speaker 6: You will never see any player play in the entire country.
Speaker 2: You will never see.
Speaker 4: Any player that was I knew he'd get a college one problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's the wall.
Speaker 3: Hold on, I got to hear this one.
Speaker 2: Read it again. But that plaque is up on the wall on the Florida Football Complex. If I'm saying that, really, you.
Speaker 6: Will never see any player in the entire country play as hard as I will play for the rest of this season.
Speaker 2: After loss after loss.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well he's going to.
Speaker 6: Play hard, all right, go ahead, Okay, And by the way, this these aren't all football, just so we're clear.
Speaker 2: I figured when I got that iverson one forgot about that one. Okay.
Speaker 6: Number five, I've always said, throwing a club shows you care.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I don't know this one, but I'm gonna context clue this one. I've always said throwing a club shows you care. So it would either have to be Fred Flintstone or a golfer. That's true, true, I'm I'm gonna remove Fred Flintstone. Throwing a club is somebody who's going.
Speaker 3: To be.
Speaker 2: It's it's got to be a big golfer. So there's only a few that wouldever. It's definitely a golfer, but a bit. But for a quote to last, it's gonna have to be Tiger or Phil or Jack Nicholas. You know this.
Speaker 3: No, I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna go Tiger.
Speaker 4: It is John Daily, John, Yeah.
Speaker 3: He would have definitely been the obviously.
Speaker 6: That is like the most obvious John Daly. I know that sounds like it's the darkansis.
Speaker 3: I feel like I'm not.
Speaker 2: Going to be good at this game.
Speaker 4: Give me three out of five, got it right?
Speaker 2: Really good? Five, really good Bobby.
Speaker 4: Five Okay, Matt, you're tinny green.
Speaker 5: Number one, do your job, Bill Belichick. Okay, you gave him his own coach. I know, I know you give him. I gave you an Arkansas, didn't give him my wife. I'd have got that one. You gave him his own coach, my guy, Go ahead, a couple of How about how about this one here?
Speaker 2: My name is Tom Brady, who said that, yeah, got it okay.
Speaker 4: To be the man, you have to beat the man.
Speaker 3: To be the man, you've got to beat the man.
Speaker 2: Oh, this one's like the easiest one of every single one.
Speaker 4: Really, this is one of Bobby's favorites.
Speaker 2: This is yeah, yeah, yeah, Charles Barkley.
Speaker 3: What it is, Bobby, So it's Bobby Bones.
Speaker 2: To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Speaker 3: Son of a good Charles Barkley, so close far away.
Speaker 4: Number three. The ceiling is the roof.
Speaker 3: That was my roofer yesterday, coming over to check out.
Speaker 2: You have an issue at the storm A little bet our yard hasn't. And I don't know my own yards. I'll put myself there because it's been flooding and storming here, so you can't like do it during a storm apparently, So yeah, I feel you. Anyway, get the question.
Speaker 3: The roof is the ceiling? Yeah, no, ceiling is the roof? Ceiling is roof?
Speaker 2: No idea?
Speaker 6: Michael Jordan, I would at that at halftime of the North Carolina game when he said that we're viral about six seven years ago.
Speaker 2: Maybe wait he said that, he said it Carolina's the older Michael Jordan. Yeah, got it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, so you got one out of three so far.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm really struggling.
Speaker 6: Okay, one out of three, all right, and here we go. I am the greatest. I said that even before I knew I was.
Speaker 3: I am the greatest.
Speaker 2: I don't know it, but if I were to context it, if I were to context it, I know who I would guess, But I do not know it. Who's Bolt?
Speaker 3: No, but I would I mean.
Speaker 2: That's a good guess that is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would have guess Lebron Muhammad Ali.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a tough one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a tough one.
Speaker 3: I mean you could have given me like sting like a butterfly.
Speaker 4: I mean, well, that's too obvious. I already gave you do your job.
Speaker 2: But if he would have had sting like a butterfly, that's not it. I know that's the wrong quote too. That would have really thrown people off.
Speaker 6: All right, okay, last one here. I love me some me, I love me some me.
Speaker 3: Gosh, I know this quote.
Speaker 2: I know the quote.
Speaker 3: All right, go ahead tell me because I lost. I'm awful.
Speaker 2: It's t O. Yep. I found a picture t O and I sitting at a random chair. Oh yeah, like fifteen years ago. I don't know what we're doing together. There's a picture. And when I played ball with Teo a few months ago at the Major League Baseball Celebrity All Star Softball Game, it's first time IVE never met him.
Speaker 3: My mind. He's an impressive human, like impressive special of a human.
Speaker 2: I watched him hit a home run and a with a softball slow pitch in a baseball park like not the home run. I had a home run, but it was it was.
Speaker 3: Small, smaller, smaller fence. They brought it in.
Speaker 2: He hit it out of the baseball field.
Speaker 3: He's a freak of It was wild. Yeah, I threw it with a one off season. He was like forty one at the time, and I don't know if he was trying to make a comeback what he was. He came out there and I was like, oh my god, this guy is an absolute freak of nature. Like he could still run incredibly fast, great hands, big physical. I mean, he was a beast.
Speaker 2: When I think of too, I think of when the Eagles there was there was a contract dispute and he's doing sit ups.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah with the media outside of the outside of his house. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that was great it.
Speaker 2: That was a good game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was fun.
Speaker 2: I liked especially because I won.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he crushed me. I mean I was so far off with some of my guess and.
Speaker 2: You got a Bill Belichick question who that was a layup?
Speaker 3: Yeah that I needed a few more.
Speaker 2: What would what would your if you had to have a would attribute to you even if you make it up right now? You really put me on this So mine, I did a whole book on it, which is, well, mine's easy.
Speaker 3: Now yours is easy?
Speaker 2: Would you know what mine is? Mike the quote, Yeah, what would we fail?
Speaker 4: Until you don't?
Speaker 2: No fight, grind, repeat, same thing, same, same, same thing, right, Like there are three stages. There's the fight, there's the grind that nobody sees while you're doing the work. The fight. Everybody says they want to fight, they want to get started. The grind is all the hard work that nobody sees. It actually matters that sometimes you fail and have to start back over. And that's the repeat. So fire, grind, repeat.
Speaker 3: It has been the.
Speaker 2: But that's easy. Like I've had that, Yeah, you've had this. Yours would be like, why did I buy this printer?
Speaker 3: Why did I buy this printer today?
Speaker 2: What's the deal?
Speaker 3: Mistakes? Mistakes make you learn?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, keep whatever you want.
Speaker 3: Adversity, adversity comes advancement.
Speaker 2: Okay, see there we go. Is that yours? Yeah? What is it? No? Not? Fine? Yes? I like it. I like that quote. I've used that quote.
Speaker 3: Yes, rue, Adversity comes advancement.
Speaker 2: I think it's an excellent quote. Oh that's good exactly. And he's discounting himself for.
Speaker 3: Me, I was discounted. Well, I was just like, gosh, I haven't really come up with my wife mantra yet.
Speaker 2: What about and just bear with me, I'm bearing What about staying like a butterfly?
Speaker 3: Yeah that doesn't really make sense, but have you ever been stung? By a butterfly, No me neither.
Speaker 2: Can you get stung by a butterfly? No?
Speaker 3: No, no, okay, all.
Speaker 2: Right, we'll come back with Bruce Buffer.
Speaker 3: It's time nice all right.
Speaker 2: Up next, we'll talk to Bruce Buffer. He is the UFC Octagon pre fight announcer. He's known for us saying it's time. When he does that, I'm ready, It's time for me too to pay attention.
Speaker 3: I'm so fired up when that happens. Like there's some the build up before the fight, they do all the pre fights and then when you get in that ring and he comes in and gets that crowd fired up and he goes it's time.
Speaker 2: You're like, okay, it's on.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 2: I wonderful. And we'll ask him if he like tried out a bunch of stuff like it's about time to do it. It random, He like workshops and stuff for sure. Yeah, it's about to go down. Here we go. Time he goes back and makes notes. Yeah, he's self scouts himself like we it's If you like Bruce's awesome voice, you can order personalized cameos from him at Bruce Buffer dot com. Follow him on Instagram as well at Bruce buffer UFC.
Speaker 3: Here we are.
Speaker 5: We got.
Speaker 2: Hey, Bruce, thank you for the time. Man.
Speaker 7: My pleasure, my pleasure.
Speaker 2: We were talking about you before you came on and talking about a lot of the things that you're involved in, and I want to get to that. But one of the things that I had mentioned was I wonder if you workshopped any of your You know, it's time is like what you're known for, But did you have like other versions until you landed on it's time or it's like it's time to do it. I don't know. Do you try other stuff?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 7: No, no, Actually what happened is at the beginning of the show I used to say it's time to begin the ultimate fighting chumpionship like that. And then when Dana took over the show back in ninety nine, I went in for the what I call the Godfather meeting. You know, we had a little head to head about everything going on, and he preferred I didn't say that at the beginning, and he told me about one announcement that I made that uh was one of his favorites, which was when Tito Ortiz fought Evan Tanner in Atlantic City at a previous fight and he asked to keep that same tempo, which was perfect for me because to me, it's not what I say, it's how I say it, and I like to be quick to the point. Bam bam, punch, punch, you know, get it in every morning when I woke up, wake up. Rather, I had a habit and still do looking in the mirror and saying it's time, meaning like it's time to be the best I can be. It's time to have the greatest day I can have. So so I never was phrase driven because I managed my brother, the legendary Michael Buffer, and I trademarked that phrase and together we market it to where it is today. Every announcer wanted to have a let's get ready to or be a phrase driven announcer. I wanted to stick with just again, not what I say, how I say it. So it was about seven years into the show that I started saying it's time at the main event because I figured the fighters have been fighting training now for eight to ten weeks, the fans have been watching for five hours give or take. It's all culminating into this main event, the moment we've all been waiting for.
Speaker 2: It's time.
Speaker 7: It's just when it goes so then I first did it then, and I realized it was catching on in Brazil about two thousand and three when I went and I did it in front of twenty thousands Portuguese speaking people, and the entire arena set it back to me at the same time, which was amazing, and I thought, oh wow, then something's going on here. And now it's honorably so and humbly and it's the greatest compliment in the world that pretty much everywhere I go now they repeat it back along with many of the other things I'll say, like this is the main event, and now as an announcer, it's a very fulfilling experience to hear that come back at me.
Speaker 2: Chris.
Speaker 3: I mean, I watched these events and you obviously set the tone for them, but how much time do you have to just utilize to working on these guys' names, because there are so many names that I'm sitting there, like, how does he announce that so flawlessly?
Speaker 7: Thank you again, appreciate that. Here's the thing. I don't rehearse. There's a rehearsal voice, and there's an organic voice, so I like to feel the energy of the crowd. But the one thing I do do because it takes me three to five hours to prepare the fight cards that I bring in, And actually, while I'm doing the fight cars, I'm actually absorbing all the information. The UFC is a very well oiled machine, and we have sound files that go out to everybody and the fighters saying their names. So I listen in ten and I write them phonetically on the cards, but as I write it phonetically, I'm absorbing them in my brain. And I'll say it a couple of times to myself so that when I go out in the octagon and do it, boom, let it fly. And sometimes before a show John Annick, who's probably one of the finest commentators in sports, he and I will go back and forth and make sure we're totally in sync on the name. So I'm saying it like the commentators are saying.
Speaker 2: It, so we do it right. You made your debut back in ninety six. I was looking at some old video online. It's weird to say video, but I'm old enough that we had video at one point. So back in.
Speaker 7: Nineteen, I'm older than you, so I remember VHF. So it's all good.
Speaker 2: So back in ninety six. But then I also was reading about you training and you having a black belt, which came first.
Speaker 7: The black belt or the UFC.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, like being a part, like being announcing fighting or you training to fight.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 7: I've been training in martial arts since i was twelve, and I've attained three black belts. When I was younger growing up in Malibu after moving there from Philadelphia when I was fifteen, I started training with Chuck Norris's fighting partners and we would just spa fight and surf. I mean that was my growing up. I never even lifted waste until my twenties. I mean it just concentrated on surfing and hundreds of push ups and some curls and all that. But fighting has been in my blood since I was born. My dad had me watching boxing, you know, every Saturday, Sunday, the whole bit. This was part of our lifestyle. I've always been into fighting, always been into the martial arts. And when I went to the first UFC back in nineteen ninety six and cast for Wyoming, which was USC six, which I did not announce, I realized this is my world and I had my brother announced three of the events, Michael and I had to pull him for the events because he had a huge contract with WCW Wrestling, which he loved, and he couldn't have continued at the pace the UFC was going. And it took me about a year and a half to convince UFC that they needed me and the octagon, that I would help them. I'm a brand builder and I had a lot of media contacts working with my brother and building it, and I realized that this was a spectacle back then that needed to be refined. But I realized it was going to be one of the biggest things in fighting sports, if not the biggest event in fighting sports. So I knew that was my world. I wanted to get into it, and long story cuts short, convinced them to make me the announcer, and I said, I'll do everything I can, you know, out of pure loyalty to the brand, to help build this and be more than just an announcer for the company. And that was the best poker hand, big poker player. That was the best poker hand I ever played in my life. To get into this twenty nine years ago.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable.
Speaker 3: And being a fan of the sport too, could you talk about what's your most memorable event that you did the pre game or pre fight, you know, announcing for.
Speaker 7: It's really hard because I've it as thousands of events, so I have many many favorite events. I could coin a couple for you. Obviously a historic speaking the finale to the first Ultimate Fighter Series when Forrest Griffin and Stephen Bonner fought each other in the main event. That was probably a pinnacle right there, because, as I always liked to say, Spike TV made us and we made Spike TV. There was just it went from a five share four share up to like a twelve give or take, which you, of course, understanding TV ratings, know what that's like. And it was an immediate explosion, you know. The show became a hit, we took off, and when Dana White and the Fertida Brothers bought the UFC back in ninety nine, I realized at that point that we had a chance to become and fulfill that becoming the biggest sport fighting event in the world with their guidance and financial backing and business acumen. So that was a big event. UFC one hundred when brock Lester Frankmuir was a big event for me. I was being egged on by everybody for eight months thanks to Joe Rogan to do with. I mean, I have my one to eighty and ninety turn and all this stuff people coin and Joe's like, well, can you do a three sixty right? And suddenly I was being egged on by the Internet and the fans, which thank god for the fans of the UFC, they're incredible. And I pulled off at three sixty. You know, I jumped up and spun three hundred sixty degrees and said brock Lester's name. So personally for me, that was, you know, a high moment. But you know, every time I think that there's the best show ever, then two or three months later, another great show happens. I mean, it's just USC is providing so much entertainment, you know, it's amazing. It's like, if you ask me what the greatest fight is very hard to say. I could name a bunch of them.
Speaker 2: With UFC and MMA becoming more embedded in pop culture, a few names come to mind. First, it's probably to me like Chuck Ladell, and then it's probably like a Connor McGregor and Ronda Rowsey like those names end up piercing not just MMA fans, but touching people who are just general sports fans or even just into pop culture. Uh, what have been and who have been the fighters that you've seen that have kind of transcended the sport to bring more people back into the sport with it.
Speaker 7: Well, you mentioned key names there, Ronda. I mean, women's MMA became what it is, let's face it, because of Ronda and her rise to fame along with all the other women that have fought so gallantly in the octagon. And it's amazing. I watch I love watching the women fight. They bring it all every day, as do the men. Connor McGregor obviously a big boost to the show. Chuck Withdell George Saint Pierre probably one of the greatest fighters ever to enter the octagon. I loved and respected internationally. John Jones being as Dana White says, and I'll have to agree with Dana White, the goat one of the greatest fighters, if not the greatest fighter of all time when he fights, If he fights, and I think he will fight Aspinall Tom Aspinall come sometime this year. That'll be probably the biggest fight ever. You know, then you have others that have run in a cross culture of people, Habib Demoga Metov, you know, bringing in tons of fans from you know, Russian uh and all that, and all the areas over there. It's there's just there's just so many. But you you did mention key factors. I mean there's every couple of years, three years or so, it comes along an it factor fighter who's got it all, you know, both the way they fight in the octagon, the way they present themselves outside of the octagon. I measure fighters not just with the way they perform in the octagon, but how they handle thoselves with the public, how they are outside of the octagon, because I truly believe in role model images. Uh you know, we're we're craving role models these days in the world for young people to follow. And I think it's very important that key fighters are famous fighters, if not all the fighters realize that they are role models for young people and they should handle themselves in the best way possible. Upcoming people Patty Pimlet out of the UK. He's he's a very hot neutcoming fighter who has a big fight against Michael Chandler this weekend.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 7: Again, I could go on and on and on. There's so many there's so many personalities driving the sport.
Speaker 3: Do you think now the perception of what the UFC is has changed dramatically from when you guys began, from like the brutality of the sport that it's so much more accepted in our culture now everybody buys in and the pay per view and everything else. But back when you probably first got started, it was people's perception of it was much different.
Speaker 7: Oh my perception I was different too, even though I understood the fighting, the term mixed martial arts wasn't even coined until about six or seven years into the event. And in the beginning, again we get back to that it was a spectacle, right, it was blood sport. It was like what style is going to beat what style? So it needed to be refined, and in turn it was refined and right now what you're dealing with, And I'm proud to say I'm part of a sport that went from beginning spectacle to mainstream sports and it's respected worldwide now as a result. So it's a definitive difference, right most definitely, and I think it's very well needed. You know, Eventually, I think you're going to see mixed martial arts in the Olympics, because really, without the elbows and the knees probably wouldn't be allowed. But you know, you take judo and boxing and wrestling, and I think they have taekwondo, but if you put all those together, you have mixed martial arts, right, So eventually it could become an Olympic event. I would very much bet on the fact that.
Speaker 3: It will be.
Speaker 2: I'm curious about its time columns because and you can go to the website it's time BB, which is it's time Bruce Buffer. But like, what does it smell like? And then how involved in the smell process? And then what do you what's the goal of what you wanted to smell like?
Speaker 7: Well, yes, it is right here, yeah, because I haven't even put it on today, so let me just give it. You know, I've always liked uh, you know calvil Clan obsession was a clone I used to wear all the time. I don't like to walk in a room and people go, WHOA, what what does that person I have on? You know, so very simply I wanted to create a sensual, charismatic cologne, subtle that women obviously would love to you know, smell when you're around men of course appreciated too and not be overbearing. And there's a company I work with, my partners in England and as far as far as being involved in the process, I would receive, you know, the coffee grounds and three or four different scents after we talked about what I was wanted to put together. I love the vanilla scent and the whole bit. And my partner christ and I, you know, we did the scent test and we picked the one that worked out perfectly and we came up with that and we just came out with the new Iconic, which is another one that's in a black bottle. And I was happy to say that when I first came out on Amazon, it was a top seller on Amazon. It still sells extremely well on Amazon, but at this time BB dot com thank you for quoting the site. There's not just a cologne, but there's a whole line of toiletries there. Because I'm I've always been very big on taking care of myself. Women take care of themselves. For us as men, we should take care of ourselves for women obviously, also for ourselves and grooming is a very key part. So smell right, be right, stay right, man, I'm going to be very involved in the set process, very involved the set process now, especially that you put it on in front of us.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, I know I can smell it through the camera right now. It's smells fantastic. But this guy's also he mentioned it before, But you're a legit poker player, like you've played in some major tournaments.
Speaker 2: You're at the main table.
Speaker 3: Can you talk a little bit about your passion for poker and how you got into that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, I'm a very creative it's going to be a competitive person. I think creative too, but competitive person. And when I was nine, my dad taught me how to play poker, how to play blackjack, and it taught me about the horse race. He said, the only way to follow a horse with a shovel, don't bet on him. So he's just telling me not to go make it a habit of betting at the track, which is a fun day for a day. But I'm not a race better with respect all the people that are, of course, because horse race is incredible. As a matter of fact, I just agreed to announce a huge horse race coming up that I have to keep a little quiet right now, but you'll see in May on NBC, which I'm pretty proud of. Poker is a mental game, it's a competitive game. It's a game of skill. I call it BSc ball, skill and confidence, and you need a little twenty percent love factor to win. But I love the competition. I love reading the people at the table and the personalities involved, and playing in the World Series of Poker, the WSOP events is something that all poker players who played tournaments aspire to have a chance to do and love to do. It's the super Bowl of Poker. I played in an event which was the fifty thousand dollars high Roller last summer, and it was against normally the main event has like eight thousand or more people in it, which I've done very well in the last time I played it, I made Day five and placed four hundred and seventy six or something. But in the high Roller event I entered last year, which was my first tournament I played since COVID because I've been so busy, I final tabled the tournament and I came in eighth and it was one hundred and seventy two players of they're all the best players in the world, Phil Ivy, Daniel Dgron Who Helmuth. They were all in the tournament, so it was a real achievement for me personally and a lot of street cred to make that final table. I one time was said to be by cardplayer dot com the top ten best. I'm not I'm not big on the worst celebrity, to be honest with you, because I think we're all created equal. But it's it said top ten best celebrity poker player in the world, and the other people in there were Ben Affleck and Jennifer Tilley. Gabe Kaplin was number one from Welcome Back Cotter who's a huge cash player. So I love poker, keeps my competition going and love winning money.
Speaker 2: You know you mentioned that you and your brother work together. You got to work together for a long time, But you guys did not grow up together, right.
Speaker 7: No, we're long lost hap brothers. We met each other when I was twenty eight years old. I saw him on TV again, being a huge boxing fan of my dad and my brother Brian and I, you know, watching boxing all our lives. Out came this handsome debonair James Bond looking individual with that famous five words let's get ready to rumble. And when they conrand his name on the screen, Michael Buffer, I'm like, WHOA, Who's this right? As I own telemarketing companies in my twenties and thirties and before the inner and I never saw my last name in a phone book in the United States, so it kind of really struck me. Funny, los story cut short, my dad never told me that he had been married at the age of twenty when he was going over to serve in World War Two. It was a brief marriage and he came back a divorce and suit, but a child was born, and last time he saw the child was when he was two and a half. And Michael was raised under the name of Hubert by foster parents great as he calls it, leave it to Beaver upbringing. And when he went in the army at twenty, they said, your birth certificate says you're Buffer. Because he was never formally adopted, so they said, you're not Michael Huber, You're Michael Buffer. And had that not happened, and the events had led him into being the legendary, greatest, you know, announcer of all times, as I like to say, in most everybody believes he we wouldn't be sitting here talking right now, because we did when he did see him on TV and and my dad called a local arena here in Los Angeles to receive a country club left a message for Michael to call him back, and Michael called him back. That got together for lunch, and it turned out to be his long lost son, and we all got together and we got along famously, you know, everybody got along great. And four years later I sold two companies I was doing incredible with, but I was burned out, not happy with what I was doing. And I had an epiphany and I said, Michael, I need to become your manager and your partner. I want to make you Richard more famous you ever dreamed, and put you everywhere in the world and TV, make video games, toys, this that, the other trademark this phrase properly. He had never even made a hat or T shirt at that time with the saying on it. And I said, I will saw this, quit with the money, having the bank and make all this happen. He said, how are you going to do all that? I said, I really don't know, I said, but I'll figure it out. If I'm going to give this up. I'm going to make it happen. And that was, you know, thirty five plus years ago, and now we're here where we are today.
Speaker 3: It's unbelievable story. I mean, if you think about it, and then when you guys met, you guys obviously hit it off. It's it's one of those things. I've got two brothers. I can't even imagine that but going into business with them. And then my question is, do you guys, how often do you guys talk about different like phrases? Does he ever critique you in terms of your performance or vice versa?
Speaker 2: Are you guys like that?
Speaker 3: What type of relationship do you have, Like do you guys bust balls a little bit? Like, well, talk to us a little bit about that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we have a great relationship. It's he's very supportive of me. I'm very supportive of him. I said, do you have any tips? Way back in the beginning, is you know what, watch yourself on video. It's the hardest thing you'll ever do. That'll be your teaching aid. So otherwise can't offer you that much more. And I just believe that I needed to go out and get it. As you guys know, the term in this business. Reps get as many reps as I have. I look back to when I started at USC eight and buy them on Puerto Rico in nineteen ninety six, and it's like no, no, no, no, no. You know, it's completely different. So it just builds from there.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 7: I never wanted to be Frank Sinatra's you. I wanted to create my own style. And I told myself that if in the first three years I don't create my own style and be respective for what I do, that's going to give it up, which I would have, right, But it went the path that it went, and I'm very happy to say, you know, it's I'm thankfully and hopefully respected by ever Briddy for exactly what I do. You no no competition, no competition, no busting balls, just total support. We kid around once in a while, but that's all you have.
Speaker 2: Se three fourteen as a Saturday, And I know Michael Chandler a little bit. He lives around here, He's been over he does, he's been on the show before, and so you know, I think he was really looking forward to, you know, the past fight he didn't get to have because of an injury. But he's going to fight you know, Patty the Battye. To me, that's the most exciting fight on the card. I mean you mentioned that earlier, but speak to that about Chandler specifically, like if he wins this, is it renewal for him to because again he's an older fighter at this point. If he loses the fight, is that kind of the end for him being a part of the big card.
Speaker 7: Michael Chandler's type of fighter, winner lose. He puts on the best performance that we all respect in some of the most exciting fights you'll ever see. So I never pick winners in fights. May the best man or woman win. Michael Chandler. He wins his fight against Patty Pimlant, he's back in the mix. Patti Pimant wins his fight Michael Chandler, he's higher in the mix. So it's not the end of the career for definitely not for Patty, and I don't feel for Michael because Michael is such a true warrior, octagon warrior that you know, everybody wants to see him fight. He's a highly likable fighter, respected by every UFC fan. I don't know who doesn't respect him except other fighters, you know, as they like to talk about each other when they're going to go to war. But this is a big fight for Michael. There's no question that first round of this fight is going to be a tell all for sure. Most definitely, Patty's usually confident. This event is stacked from beginning prelim to to on. The fight between Bryce Mitchell and John Silva is one that's very highly anticipated as his chandler, and of course the event with Bolkanowski and Diego Lopez.
Speaker 2: So before you go, I want to make sure everybody knows it's time bb dot com for the cologne. But also if you want to get a cameo video and audio, just go to Bruce's website. Go to Bruce Buffer dot com and you can get one of those as well. And then there's also Puncher's Chance Bourbon. Now I'm not a drinker, but it says award winning, so I'm assuming it's got to be pretty good.
Speaker 7: It's got it right there, lad metal right here, and we've got a variety of it, and I'm very proud of the bourbon. You can go to puncher Chansbourbon dot com in order directly for yourself. Sorry to mean to show right there the videos real quickly is something my partner Kristin and I love to do. The thank you notes we get at Bruce Buffer dot com. We get requests for weddings, a huge amount of requests each week. Introductory, introduce you like a champion in the octagon, which I do on the cameos, birth of Babies, you name it.
Speaker 2: I had.
Speaker 7: The requests I get are pretty wild, but it's a lot of fun and I love making people happy, so I love doing audios and videos.
Speaker 2: Bruce. We appreciate the time. Hope you have a great rest of the day. We're big fans and hopefully we'll see us soon.
Speaker 7: I really appreciate it. Thank you. Thank you so much. Gentlemen, Kevin Mike, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Ruth. What's the best round of golf you ever played? Do you have a best score, best score?
Speaker 3: I'm an average golfer, but I did shoot a seventy eight.
Speaker 2: Oh so jealous. I've never broken eighty, so.
Speaker 3: I mean that has always been my goal. Just give me one time, and I think it truly has only been one time. I was at a course called Oh Hoopy Down in Georgia, fantastic place. Go down there, I get invited, don't really know the group too well. I knew one of my buddies that I got the invitation from. So we go down and I tell them I'm a twelve. I played out of my mind. They were so pissed off. One of those days. One of those days, yeah, and I had no apologies for it. I was like, guys, look, this is what this is what it is, seventy I was hitting putts, shipping. It just felt, it felt so good. And then then the next day it was back to myself. I told you guys, I'm a twelve as well.
Speaker 2: Somewhere. Oh, when I was doing rich Eisen, one of the guys was like, hey, what's your handicap? And I was like, I don't know. You can look it up in my GHI n again for like twelve point six or something. And so my best round ever is eighty one. And if I wore to bogie the eighteenth hole, I would have shot a seventy nine. And it was that, Yeah, it was that. It was that where I ended up shooting like an eight on a part four It right whatever, And it was only because I got tight going. I'm back to do it right, Yeah, so I've not broken eighty.
Speaker 3: Isn't that a crazy mental sport. It's like the most the mental grind that you have from hole to hole, let alone the skill that it takes. But you get on a roll in your feeling that and then you're starting to count strokes. The worst thing you can do is count strokes, and I do because it takes one hole where you're like, dude, I've been par birdie, parr, triple boge, triple bogey.
Speaker 2: I mean four holes in, I'm starting to go, all right, I'm doing if I keep this pace up, Yeah, that's tough.
Speaker 3: And then reality strokes.
Speaker 2: Biggest celebrity ever played with, coolest celebrity, coolest celebrity, you know.
Speaker 3: I'd say one of the coolest celebrities I've ever played with was Jerry West. It was out in California and I got the invite and they knew each other somehow, some way, and we played a whole round at eighteen and what an absolute stud. He was like seventy two at the time, still in incredible shape, said he woke up every morning at around four thirty five, got his workout in eight well all that stuff, but the dude, his mind was incredible, and he could play golf, and just some of the stories he had about him growing up, his day and age, and also the legends of the game that he played against. It was a really cool experience.
Speaker 2: That'd have been a cool day just to hear the stories. And on a day like that, you don't want to play so bad that it affects like your attitude. So you're just praying you don't play horrible. If you play pretty bad, that's okay because that happens. You play really great, that's awesome too. But it's those days whenever it could be a real special day, you're just going just don't fail me. Body, don't fail me his muscle memory, don't because yeah, it's And then you start to feel embarrassed, or at least I do, Like if I'm playing really bad with somebody, that I start to be embarrassed, mine I'll cheat. I played. I played a couple of times with Jordan Speed, but the first time I played with Speed, and he's obviously a professional golfer, we bet one hundred bucks a hole, but really I had to give him one hundred if he birdied, and he had to give me a hundred if I parved I like that, and so did you get strokes?
Speaker 3: No strokes? Oh, but you said to your twelve he's a scratch golfer. He's taking advantage of you.
Speaker 2: Why I didn't want strokes? I wanted to play. That wasn't the purpose. The purpose for me was he already was. He always given me an advantage, right, like a stroke a hole basically yeah, so that's yeah, a stroke a hole.
Speaker 3: How'd you make out?
Speaker 2: I lost one hundred dollars oh on the last hole, and he was like, no, I don't want your money. We just spent a whole day doing this and shooting kind of. I was like, no, no, you'll take my money or the story's not complete, right like you must have I have to build money. So that was cool because to watch him and nothing about his game. And again I've been lucky to play maybe three times at this point because we played like a part of three course together as well. He doesn't swing that hard. It doesn't, I should rephrase it. It doesn't look like anything he's doing has extreme intensity on it. It looks so easy and smooth even next to him, but it is not, and it is so precise, like wild To watch the control those guys have on that tiny ball in the control that I don't have. The funniest is Ray Romano.
Speaker 3: Oh you got to play with the Ray. He's he makes me crack up all the time.
Speaker 2: Have you met him? I have not met him. It's the same person, and he's hilarious the whole time and it doesn't stop, and not in a way as I dude, shut up. He's so like warmly funny the whole time. Yeah, so that would be like my coolest where it's just watching him do what he loves, which is golf, watching him do what he does naturally, which is just be NonStop hilarious right for three hours, even when he's not trying to be.
Speaker 3: See, that's a gift within himself. The one guy that I played with right around COVID was Nate BARGATSI did I pronounce that right? The last name. And he's actually really takes his golf seriously. He wants to win. He does this, but what a cool guy. And this is right before he really over these last few years has just blown up. But it was right before that. And he is funny as all get out as well, but probably not to the.
Speaker 2: Same way that Ray Ramond. Yeah, Ray is like loudly funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah he's not. He's like very concentrated on playing golf. He wants to do well and he's got that dry sense of humor. So he's funny. But it's just you're if you're playing golf, you better be ready to play golf.
Speaker 2: What's the nicest course you've ever played on?
Speaker 3: Nicest course I've ever played on? I'd have to go with Bandon Dunes. I thought that was the coolest course in just it was beautiful. You're right on the Pacific Ocean. They've got six different courses there. It's an experience within itself. But Bandon Dunes was unbelievable. It's up in Oregon. How about yourself?
Speaker 2: Probably I'll go just because I've seen it on TV so many times. I played the Pebble Beach pro am, which is super cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Pebble Beach is pretty.
Speaker 2: And there are just holes that are burnt into your head that you've just seen so many times on television and when you're playing it, you're like, whoa. You just can't be taken aback to the point where it affects your game, right because you like, I don't want to mess up on this well, I've seen it seventy two times over the year. So playing that tournament and having free access, it's like for three days because there were three courses. Spyglass was awesome.
Speaker 3: Spyglass is great.
Speaker 2: And aside from the history of Pebble Beach, Spyglass is probably a cooler course, but the organism that is Pebble Beach makes it the coolest course.
Speaker 3: It's probably because I played so poorly when I went there that I was just like, not my favorite course.
Speaker 2: I can I can see that.
Speaker 3: You know, it's reflective of how you felt that day. If you place yes semi well, you have a different feeling about the course. If you play terribly, be like I hate Jerry West, Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: He's like, put hold me up, kid, have you ever been to the Masters? Never been to that Master's?
Speaker 3: I rock the gear all the time because my brother goes down and I act like I've been there and everybody's like, oh, you've been there. I was like, Nope, never been there. I need to get down there. Have you been to the Master's?
Speaker 2: Yes? I would like to at with you allowing me to do this. I'd like to give you the most name dropping story ever. I love named stories. I love him too when people give them, honestly, I really enjoy it. So I've been to the Masters once and one of our guests on this show, Andy Roddick, I was like, hey, I'm going, like he was it still as one of our best friends. We don't talk as much as we used to the states away, but he was like, I'm going to the Masters. I got four passes. You want to go? And I'm like, yeah, of course I want to go. We're gonna go for three days. And he played in that the day the part three. Yeah. Sure, so he did that and so it was me, Andy, one of our buddies, and John Legend in a house for three days.
Speaker 3: This is pretty awesome. Awesome Is John Legend is coolest? Yes? Yes, he comes across because every time cool like just the smoothest talking, the coolest, incredible human. It seems like just everything that I dreamt about.
Speaker 2: It couldn't be more normal and nicer and cooler, and well, the beauty of it was is one we would go. And again, I've only been once, so I'm not an expert on what you do when you get there, but everybody runs and puts their chairs down on a green because once that chair is there, they can go over they want, but no one can move that chair. That's their chair. So you have like your little master's chair. You go out, but once it's there, that's your spot. And so we didn't do that because we didn't know to do that. We didn't have chairs. We just thought we'll walk around. Well, if you wanted to follow like Tiger, or you wanted to see Tiger, it was difficult because man, the folks, oh man, it was a parade wherever they went, Tiger Phil. So we went and we sat on a green, me our friend Andy and John and we set on a green. It was on the back nine and maybe whatever a part three and we just bet which the golfers were closer to the whole hundred bucks.
Speaker 3: That's awesome, that's what we actually made it super entertaining.
Speaker 2: We just sat there and bet money the whole time with the two golfers to come up one hundred bucks, who gets closer and then if it was so close we couldn't tell, it would just be a wash carver. Yeah, And we all also played ping pong and then John would just sing at the.
Speaker 3: House private concerts amazing.
Speaker 2: He would just have his laptop open him that's a bit of doodoo bad day. It's obviously a singer, but he also loved to sing. And I just remember thinking, this is crazy, Like I'm playing Minnie tennis with a former number one in the world and I'm here sitting on a couch next to a Grammy winning singer who's just singing for an hour at a time on his computer, like just just typing up stuff we'd watch like sports at night, go to the masters of the daytime. It's crazy.
Speaker 3: I got nothing that really compares to that.
Speaker 2: And the great part about it was this is it's been probably eight nine years, I don't know ten years. You can't have phones in there, so nobody has as I was going to ask you, because nobody stopped, but anybody for pictures. So Andy was against offer picture. John wasn against offp A pictures. There were no there were no pictures, so everybody could just move as they would when those two they're famous. They wouldn't have to worry about people going, hey can I get a picture? Everybody just lived. It's pretty sick.
Speaker 3: It's a little different than the Phoenix. Have you ever been there.
Speaker 2: I've not been. Oh my god, I went last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've never seen anything like that. I mean it is like it's a nightclub during the day that starts early and does not stop. And I mean people talk about the exact opposite of the Masters. No phones, no music, You can't even lay down on the hill. I had a buddy that said his wife laid down on the hill for just a second length.
Speaker 2: Lean back.
Speaker 3: Guy comes up and says, the Masters wants you to please sit up. So like that there it is just full rage session. There's like a DJ booth in one of the things. I mean, people are throwing on the golf course. I'm going, what is going on right now?
Speaker 2: It's a great time. It's a great time. Yeah. That whole is it thirteen? The famous hole? Whatever it is where that? Yeah, that looks fun. I've had a bunch of friends who have played that hole in like the pro am leading up to it. Yes, that's that's cool. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: I mean, the people watching is unmasked.
Speaker 2: I mentioned a couple weeks ago I didn't have a favorite NFL team because I didn't grow up with one. In Arkansas, we didn't have an NFL team. Most people fell to the Cowboys because Jerry Jones was a former razorback football player, won a national championship at Arkansas and Dallas was close. But ever since everybody was a Cowboys fan and they were winning so much, I would not allow myself to be a Cowboys fan. So as much of an NFL fan as I am, I don't have a team, And I said, hey, I don't have a team. I don't want to be on a frontrunner, but I also don't want to be on somebody that's just going to be terrible forever. Like who should I pick? And we just threw it out there. Has Kevin? Have you heard from anybody? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Has anybody responded to that?
Speaker 6: I haven't heard directly to myself from anybody, but I went on your instagram, the NFL network instagram that posted the clip, and we've got some feedback from fans, but also a mascot.
Speaker 2: Oh, there's a mascot that followed me, the Indiana follow me. Yes, And I wonder if that's why.
Speaker 6: Well, it is because he commented on yours, I believe and the NFL Network post and said where do I send the gear?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 3: Oh you're going to get a mascot. What's his name?
Speaker 2: Blue? I believe he's obviously a cult.
Speaker 3: Yeah he's.
Speaker 2: Of course, he's not sending me a mascot off to a mascot. He's going to send you gear that's going to be awesome. You're gonna have to put on the head gear. So would you do?
Speaker 6: I need to reply yeah, because I've tried to reach out to him multiple times and I can't DM him unless he follows me. I'm trying to get him followed back. But yeah, I'm not cool enough. I guess his name is Blue, so blue.
Speaker 4: If you're out there and you're listening, give me follow back. Let's set this up man.
Speaker 2: I'll just message him because he does follow And I wondered, why is the Colts mascot following me? So okay, so far the culture in the lead.
Speaker 3: Culture in the lead.
Speaker 6: A lot of Raiders fans, I will say that, like, like fans fans are like, come on, join the dark side, Join the dark side.
Speaker 3: It's so far away though, Yeah, but Vegas is fun to go too. Let's be honest, is it. Yeah, we'll take Bruise with us. Yeah, guaranteed he gets calmed to everywhere he goes.
Speaker 2: So in this final segment, I have a top five list of players who I think belong in a boy band if we were creating an NFL boy band. Okay, at number five, Travis Kelcey. He's a confident one who does all the talking and interviews. Yes, he's, in his mind one hundred the hottest one. And he's the first one to go solo, like later on he breaks off and go solo first. And definitely a great dancer too. Yes, so like he's got he's got all the qualities you look for for sure in my NFL boy band. Travis Kelcey. Next up Justin Jefferson. Now, why well, he's the fun one that actually knows how to dance. There's always one that's really good at dancing, that has like a background in dance. Yes, and Justin Jefferson, I mean he's the gritty that's him.
Speaker 3: He is. He actually invented, yes, a whole dance, touchdown dance my kids do.
Speaker 2: Yes, he's taken the world by storm. Next up, Christian McCaffrey. He's the pretty one. I can see that he's the pretty boy lead singer. He's a Nicholas Say He's the justin Timberlake. Yeah, I like that, even though Jay c shaw Za was really the heart and soul Evan sync like Timberlake was the face. He's the Nick Carter.
Speaker 3: You need a face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Christian McCaffrey is our face. Every mom would say that's that's my favorite. Every guy would secretly like love him, but have to say he hated him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't like him, but you listen to the song all the time when nobody's in the car.
Speaker 2: Jordan and I. He's the Jordan and I to this group. Next up Ceedee Lamb. Now ceedee Lamb, Ceedee Lamb. He's the smooth one that's got like all the trip right. Like he's the one that wears the clothes a little different, but he does do that fashion icon like he's the one that people look at and go, yeah, that dude is the style part of that boy band. Can still kill the dance routines, probably at times a shirtless on the album cover too, Like.
Speaker 3: For sure you gotta have at least or at least completely unbuttoned.
Speaker 2: Some abs are being show by ce d Lamb. Yeah, and my final member of my NFL boy band is Joe Burrow.
Speaker 3: Oh, I was gonna say.
Speaker 2: I could have guessed that, because every every boy band needs a bad boy.
Speaker 3: You need a bad boy, you need different color hair, you know, the different suits, the swag, the drip that he comes along with a Donnie Wahlberg.
Speaker 2: He's it of new Kids on the Block, but of our group. Right here, he like smokes a cigar in the music video where sunglasses inside, he's too cool to dance. Everybody else is dancing, and he's kind of like, nah, I'm good, he's solid.
Speaker 3: That was a solid pick right there. I was definitely gonna say, you better have Joe Burrow in there.
Speaker 2: That's my NFL boy band right there. Tell me that would it's I don't know they can sing, but tell me that would it? Well, I don't really what do you think? That wouldn't do much? But still I like I like everybody.
Speaker 3: I like the dynamics right now. Yeah, we've got some good comms right there. Solid in all different phases.
Speaker 2: Weird done. We appreciate everybody for hanging out. If you don't mind go over and subscribe to the show, that would be super cool. We'd love it. I don't know what feeds you're listening on or if you're watching, go over and subscribe to the Lots to Say podcast if it's on Spotify or iHeart Radio or Apple. Thank you so much. That's Matt. Thanks to kick Off Kevin. Thanks to Read, who's leaving in a few weeks. Dang Reading, he's out of here, Reads moving to Saint Louis?
Speaker 3: Is he really he's gone gone?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's leaving the job like Read's moving for how many years? Five? Yeah, five years? But my guy travels with me, so Reads out getting married with St.
Speaker 3: Louis. His wife's well, congratulations me a doctor, which nothing but the best.
Speaker 2: We'll not forget him as soon he's out of here. But it's cool right now, let still give you some shout outs. Yeah, thanks to Bruce Buffer for coming on. We appreciate you, guys. And that's it for this week. I don't know, I got nothing, nothing else to say, nothing to say, nothing to say, but we usually have lots to say. Boom and we're out, see you guys.
Speaker 1: Lots to Say with Bobby Bones and Matt Castle is a production of the NFL and iHeart Podcasts. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.