Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to another episode of Snake's Territory, part of the Fouls Territory Network. Be sure to like this video, subscribe to our YouTube channel, maybe leave us a five star review wherever you get your podcast. I am Jesse Friedman alongside Jack Summers and Jack I know the Diamondbacks were only on the road for six days, but it felt like a whole lot longer than that. Diamondbacks take two out of three in Atlanta to start things out. This series against the Boston Red Sox was eventful to say the least, but that just made it all the more important Jack that the Diamondbacks come up with a win in the finale of the series, and they were able to do exactly that.
Speaker 2: Heading into the road trip, I said that I would be more than happy with a three and three road trip in those two cities when is Alreays lose the series, and that's exactly what happened, and so I'll stick with satisfaction that that was the end result, even though the last few days were a little bit complicated.
Speaker 1: I think we can call it a successful road trip, right Jack, We can just it was a success. We can just move on as if nothing else happened, right, maybe, yeah, yeah, yeah, nothing nothing else to discuss, Dbacs. They get a win in this game on Wednesday, and people after the game were very open and honest about just how big of a game this was for the team. Brandon Fott mentioned that in his Postgume interview, talked about how it was very clear to everyone in the room that this was really really important for the Diamondbacks to win, not only because you never want to get swept in any series, but because of the circumstances of the last couple of days, how flat the Diamondbacks looked in the first couple of games of this series, and this was an all hands on deck sort of ordeal for the Diamondbacks. Tory Leavello emptied his bench in what was ultimately a.
Speaker 3: Ten inning game.
Speaker 1: Jordan Lawler originally hit seventh in this game and played center field, and his spot in the lineup was replaced three times over the course of this game, so Tory Leavello was truly using every player that he had at his disposal, and it was a close one jack. This was not exactly a free and easy downhill baseball sort of win. Diamondbacks trailed early on a couple of early Homers against Brandon fought, they were down to nothing. They took a three to two lead, which grew to a five to two lead, and then Mickey Gasper did what Mickey Gasper does against the Diamondbacks tied the game. D Backs ultimately come away with a seven to six win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of fantastic individual performances, people stepping up up into you know, the situation and helping get things done, which was really impressive. I mean, look, this was a gritty win. This is not the formula for long term success to have to win a game in this manner, in this fashion, but you know, you look at some of the things that happen. Of course, is Gabrielle Marino once again just you know, delivering. I mean, he's just become a monster this year. To run double off the wall. You know he's going to put them in the game. Yesterday with the Grand Slam, and then you had an rb I double from Ryan Waldschmidt, so you know that that guy gave them a lead. And then of course, you know, you come back and you score a couple more runs the games five to two. You think you've got this, you know, and then unfortunately Brandon fock got nicked up, and he just had a really strange line, right, I mean, eight strikeouts, no walks. He looked like you had a really good sweeper. You know. He gave up a couple of early solo home runs and then he kind of looked like, Okay, you know, this is it and he's not going to really give up anything else. And then he got he got nailed in the in the sixth inning there and gave up the three run homer that gave up the tie. But you know, they hung in there and they came through and they won this game. And you know, Jose Fernandez, I mean, like for me, that's what stood out the most in long term thinking. Right, in the short term, there were other things. You know, Nolan Ronado had the go ahead base.
Speaker 1: Hit, which I believe was fifty one miles per hour off the bat if.
Speaker 2: Oh he blasted it. It's a little blooperd oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Gonzo was in the boot after all.
Speaker 3: It was only it was only fitting right.
Speaker 2: Right, But you know, I mean, look, Jose Jose Fernandez, I mean, you know, you hit a gapper and hustled in the second base for a hustle double. Then he banged, went off that wall deep and high off that green monster over in left center field, and then, you know, most impressive to me, as I tweeted out, I would have loved to have seen, just like anybody else, another double off the wall, you know, and score at least two runs there. But thinking about his improvement and development as a player, fell and off a couple of tough pitches, taking a couple of tough pitches, and working a basis loaded walk to give them an insurance run, which ultimately they truly needed. It was the most impressive thing to me, I guess, developmental wise, long term wise, because I have a feeling that we're going to see a lot of Jose Fernandez over the final six weeks of the season.
Speaker 1: You and I had had some discussions offline about the decision to bring Fernandez to the majors, and we were looking at his numbers down in Triple A, and frankly, I kind of made the point like we don't see the Diamondbacks call up guys from Triple A very often who have an eighty five WRC plus You're talking about a guy who's been a fairly far below average hitter at Triple A. And yet Jose Fernandez, I mean we saw glimpses of it early in the season. The tools are absolutely there. He has a great arm, he has elite level bat speed, he has elite level sprint speed. There's a lot to like about his game, and there are things that he is capable of doing that a lot of players on this team are not, And we were able to see the best part of him in this game. As you said, couple of hard hit balls that key at bad in the tenth inning was enormous as well. So he's one of the guys who absolutely could step in and maybe play a big role as things continue to be in flux with Cautel Marte. Another player that probably deserves some shine offensively is Lars Neutbar. You mentioned earlier the Dbacks tacking on a couple of important runs. That was because Lars Neutbar hit a pinch hit, two run home run. It was not a cheap shot, it was one hundred and ten miles per hour off the bat and man, especially if katel Marte is not going to be in the equation, or even if he is, the d Bacs really need large new Bar to get going offensively. His ops for the team, I think still starts with a five. There's a ways to go there, but it was really good to see that swing from him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean at this point, look, the team has to the players and the coaches have to proceed as if this is it. They're going to have to find their way on their own without katel Marte. Now, if he comes back and you know, of offenses are mended and he plays well and all those you know, I guess fairy tale thoughts, then great. But I think already there's a sense of reality that is set in that they have to just put tune it out. They need to completely tune out all the noise and just proceed as if you know, he had a season ending injury or something thing which happens all the time in baseball, you know, and they have to believe in themselves that they can go forward and do this and still make the postseason even without caatel Marte. And so from that standpoint, you know, getting the bad taste of the previous two beatdowns, no the way to put that, and then also being able to get on a plane fly back to Phoenix, and you know, they have to guard themselves up. I mean, they know that everyone's going to be crawling all over Chase Field. The media is going to be crawling all over the clubhouse and the press conferences, and there's going to be a lot of questions asked, and you know, they've got to find a way to just tune all that out and go in and do their jobs.
Speaker 3: Tory Lavello was asked after the game about.
Speaker 1: Just how big of a win this was for the team, and I thought his comments there were telling. He said, the Congo line at the end of this game was a special moment for me that I'll never for get. He talked about how given the venue, given the opponent, and the circumstances of the last couple of days, I mean, those are big words from Tory Levello, moment he'll never forget in a managerial career that spans about a decade at this point, a coaching career that goes well beyond that, I mean, this win seemed to have a lot of significance for this team. And Toy was also asked about like, can you guys win without Katel Marte? You did today, but like what is this going to look like moving forward? And Tory gave the answer you'd probably expect. He said, We're going to be fine no matter who's in the lineup. We've got twenty six engaged dogs out there that want to win a baseball game. And that's all I care about. And one thing that I will say about Tory Leavello, even though I know there's all sorts of you know, he's a polarizing subject to say the least right now, but I think that Tory Leavello has the ability to help the Diamondbacks focus on the things that really matter right now. I think that that is one of his strengths. It's something that we've learned about him as a manager over the years, is that I think he helps players to be the best versions of themselves and to put those sorts of distractions aside, particularly a really messy situation like this one.
Speaker 3: So I mean, we'll.
Speaker 1: See, I'm not going to say that, you know, with certainly, the Diamondbacks have a lot to prove here over the next five or six weeks of how they respond to this and what this is going to look like. Maybe coateell Marte does return at this at some point here, but I think Tory Leavello is probably going to help these guys stay on track and focus on what really matters right now.
Speaker 2: Well, as we often say, you know, momentum is the next day starter. Yeah right, and you know that's all all it'll take is a good start, you know, by the red starter on Friday night, if it shuts down the offense and they're quiet, Oh, they're flat, they're you know, they're out of it. And you know, a couple if they press a little bit and make a couple of defensive eras you know, oh, their heads are not in the game. And you know all of that. So I think that clearly, you know, they were impacted mentally and emotionally by everything that was going on around them the first two games of this series. They were also impacted by the fact that their starting pitchers got blown out of the water right out, you know, very early in their starts, you know. But they went down early today too, you know. I mean the first pitch of the game was a home solo home run, and then there was another home run and they were down to nothing. But they fought back today and I think they just showed themselves like, Okay, you know, this is what we're going to have to do here. So how far they can go without catel Marte without twenty one homers and sixty seven is in a seven to sixty ops in the middle of their lineup is a good question. I mean, you know, they're gonna need a lot of different people to step up, and they got that today. They're gonna need a lot more of it.
Speaker 1: A couple of final notes from this game for me. Jonathan Lewisiga was big out of the Diamondbacks bullpen tonight. He got six outs on sixteen pitches in the ninth and tenth innings. He did technically give up a run, but it was unearned. It was just the ghost runner there and the tenth inning that didn't wind up being meaningful. Good day for the Diamondbacks bullpen on the whole. And then Ildomar Vargas also made a really nice defensive play to start out that tenth inning and just kind of set the tone there. It felt like the Red Sox just kind of rolled over. I guess literally they rolled over the next couple of bitches from Jonathan Mawiseiga and that was that was the end of the game. So just a really nice complete win for the Diamondbacks, something that was very sorely needed. Brandon fought a weird game from him. He also had seventy whiffs, though for the first time since twenty twenty four, his stuff looked really sharp for I felt like most of the game, and yet he also threw a few pitches that got hit kind of hard, very bizarre. He had not allowed a single home run since returning from Triple A, and then he gives up three home runs in one game in Boston. I guess that's baseball jack, That's just the way it goes sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, x FIP will eventually win out right. I think that for anybody that doesn't know what that joke was. X FIP is fielding independent pitching the expected fielding independent pitching, where home runs are basically adjusted to the average home run per flyball rate. So if you give up a lot of flyball outs, your x FIP is maybe going to be higher than your FIP. If you know, you haven't been giving up that many home runs a lot of fly a lot of deep flyballs, your fit might look good. Are all getting caught, But x FIP says, yeah, well you might be getting a little lucky here on some of those homers, And you know, so maybe a couple of them should be getting over the wall. So that's what that joke was about for anyone not familiar with But you can always go to fangrafts and go to their glossary and look up their pitching stats and look up FIP and x FIP always suggests that.
Speaker 1: Well. On that note, Brandon Fopp, Brandon fots x FIP for today's start was two point sixty seven. So as they're saying x FIP, you used this start very favorably. Some of the other metrics not quite so much. But Brandon Fox gave the Diamondbacks at least enough to get out of this game with a win, and considering how good he's been since coming back from trimple A, it felt like it was time for the team to kind of pick him up after all of the times that he's picked them up here over the past few weeks.
Speaker 2: You're making me look it up now because I need to see what it is here to date.
Speaker 3: It's four to five.
Speaker 1: His x FIP is f two five, his ERA is three three nine, his FIP is three point nine to nine, so his ex FIP is actually still it's higher than all of the other r estimators, so you could argue the fought has still been on the luckier side when it comes to preventing home runs. But you know, pretty close to what you'd expect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's more or less normalized, neutralized regress to the meat.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: We have a whole lot more to get to in this episode. We're going to check on the standings. We of course are going to dive into they could tell Marte situation and the updates we've gotten since our last episode. So don't go anywhere. We'll be back on Snake's territory right after this.
Speaker 4: Hey, for those of you that are on your phones very often, or even if you don't use it much, you should check out your wireless bill and make sure that it is treating you well. It's summertime. You're feeling good, right, aj But are you spending too much on your wireless bill? And should mint Mobile get involved? Now?
Speaker 5: Someone that has two college aged kids, Scott, they're always on their phone, whether it's they're checking their snap, they're checking their DMS, they're checking their Twitter. I need fifteen dollars a month because I need unlimited quality coverage that Mintmobile provides.
Speaker 4: To get that new wireless plan for just fifteen bucks a month, go to mintmobile dot com slash territory. That's mintmobile dot com slash Territory. Cut your wireless built to fifteen dollars a month at mintmobile dot com slash territory.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 4: No catch up front payment of forty five dollars for three months, ninety dollars for six months, or one hundred eighty dollars for twelve month. Plan required fifteen dollars per month equivalent taxes and fees extra initial plan term only greater than fifty gigabytes may slow when network is busy, concludes up to twenty gigabyte hotspot capable device required, Availability, speed, and coverage varies. CEE mintmobile dot com.
Speaker 1: We are back here on Sinks Territory. Really appreciate all of you being here with us. If you haven't already, it really helps us out. If you would subscribe to our channel on YouTube, drop alike on this video, hit the bell icon for notifications so that you never miss an episode of the show. And if you're joining us on Spotify or Apple Podcasts, it also really helps us out. If you'd leave us a five star review over there. Many of you have done this in recent days and we see your reviews and we really really appreciate.
Speaker 3: You doing that.
Speaker 1: So thank you to all of you for supporting the show. Really means a lot to us that you spend as much time here with us on Snake's territory as you do well, Jack. The Katel Marte situation continues to develop. I guess we'll start with this note from not this note, this note from John Morosi over on Twitter. Morosi tweeted out earlier on Wednesday. This was Wednesday morning, a note from Katel Marte's agent, and it reads as follows. He is currently managing a personal matter and it will and will be undergoing an MRI on his knee tomorrow. Kotel appreciates the unwavering support from fans, teammates, the Diamondbacks organization, and Tory LEVELO during this time. He remains optimistic about his recovery and looks forward to returning to the field to contribute to the team as soon as possible. My guess is most of you watching or listening have probably already seen or heard this note from Marte's agent. But yeah, we'll start our conversation there, Jack, What was your reaction to seeing this?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it very much looked like agents speak, right, It looked like damage control. It also looked to me like maybe somebody kind of finally got through to him and got him to kind of step back from the ledge a little bit with all of this. Look, that statement doesn't tell us anything, right, And Mike Kaysen was on the radio today and we didn't really learn very much new, and so all we're left to do is either speculate and wait or keep our mouths shut and wait. But you know, I have thoughts, just like everybody else. I have been trying to gather information and do as much due diligence as I can. We've had friend of the show, El Gallo, kind of nudge me in a direction of, you know, looking a little closer into what's been coming out of the Dominican Republic and the reports there. And you know, they are credible journalists that have reported that, you know, Marte wanted to be released or wanted to be DFAD. But you know it's hard to say like that something get lost in translation there, and that's not going to happen. I mean, the Diamondbacks aren't going to do that, so it doesn't just didn't seem like a very realistic report from that perspective. But then there's some other radio reports where there's you know, people claiming to have inside sources with his family, you know, saying that he doesn't want to play for the Diamondbacks anymore, and the falling out between him and Tory is you know, not navigable and so forth. Who knows, right, I like, I can't say that any of that's true, but I'm acknowledging it because it's out there, and I'm sure that at least half our listeners have heard some of this kind of you know, trickling around if you're active in social media. What I will say, and I'm going to ask Jesse to put that on the screen, is Tory Lavello's willingness to work very closely with kateel Marte on days off and being in tune with his body was a key reason why he agreed to the extension that he did so. On April second of twenty twenty five, ktel Marte signed over one hundred million dollar contract extension that takes him up to twenty thirty one if he exercises the player option. A big chunk of that forty six million is deferred, So you know why did Katel signed that contract. It's considered team friendly at the time when asked, this is from the report that Steve Gilbert filed on that day of the signing. When asked what he liked so much about Arizona, Marte sided the coaching staff, the medical staff, and the organization in general. He also talked about his close relationship with manager Tory Leavello, whose first year managing the DBAs was twenty seventeen. Now Here comes the exact quote from Catel and let you know exactly what his priorities were. This was the main answer that he gave when he was asked, why did you sign this extension? We came to the organization around the same time, said Marte. I feel like at this point that Tory understands me really well physically. If I need a day off, I don't have to talk much. Tory does a good job of feeling that and giving me a day I don't want to lose what I've earned with Tory so far, So you know that's the player right there, very clearly spelling out his motivations at the time. Time of the extension. Now, obviously since then there have been other incidents. There was the incident last year at the All Star Break, and then this year of course this week, you know, over not showing up to the ballpark. Now, what happened in that initial contact between Tory and Katel one can only speculate. But the speculation leads me down a path of thinking that Tory push Kutel to play because Nolan was hurt and he really needed him, and Katel didn't want to play because his knee was bothering him, and Tory pushed on him pretty hard and got exactly the kind of response that we probably would expect in this situation where you tend to lose a player like this. So I'm kind of out there on a limb speculating on a lot of stuff I don't know. At the end of the day, Mike Hazen is going to meet with Katel Marte sometime tomorrow after his EMA. One other key point from what Mike said today was that Kutel was flying back today and having the MRI tomorrow, or flying back tomorrow to have the MRI tomorrow. And you know, so where's he been, right? Did he leave Boston, not go back to Phoenix right away, and he's just coming back to Phoenix. Now. If that's the case, you know, maybe he flew down to the Dominican Republican who knows, you know where he went. But either the team knows and they're not saying, which means that he would have probably went to the Dominican and they didn't want to have the story out there that oh, Ktel flew back to the Dominican Republic again, or they really don't know where he's at. Remember last year, they weren't exactly the organization was not that forthcoming with all of this logistics until it kind of came out little by little. We had, like you know, pulling teeth to get it. So we'll see what all comes out here. But I think there's a fairly deep significant rift here, And from reading that, I know I've been going on a long time here, but from reading that statement, it just looks to me like somebody's pulling Katel back in from the ledge and saying, hey, get back to Phoenix, go sit down and talk to Mike. You guys got to work this out because he's not getting DFA. Now, what will happen is if he doesn't play again, one of two things are going to happen. He's going to be on a restricted list or suspended for the rest of the season without pay, or if he really does have a knee injury, they'll just put him on a sixty day I l and you know, or put him on the injured list and that's it for the rest of the season.
Speaker 1: It is striking to look back at that quote that Kittel gave when he signed the extension and see just how clearly that was a big part of the deal for him was his relationship with Tory Leavello. The fact that Tory Leavello is willing to give him days off when he he says, he doesn't have to talk much, right Like, there seems to be just a lot of unspoken communication I guess between him and Tory Leavello, where Toy just just gets him and is willing to give him those days when he asked for them, or I guess even when maybe he doesn't ask for them, and Tory maybe gets out in front of that from time to time, and even at the time Jack, I mean, I remember a few years ago when that happened, and it was a little bit puzzling at the time, like the Diamondbacks did not need to extend kateell Marte.
Speaker 3: Then they already had.
Speaker 1: Him under club control through twenty twenty eight on one of the most team friendly contracts in all of baseball. And I don't remember thinking that the contract was way too big or I mean, it wasn't completely unreasonable. It's still a relatively team friendly dealer. At least it looked like it at the time, but it was just unnecessary. It was like, well, why are you you extending this player, you know, from twenty twenty nine to twenty thirty one, when he's going to be in his mid thirties and you just don't really know what to expect. Then very possibly he's going to be a designated hitter at that point, and that just adds another layer to this complicated relationship between him and the organization. Did the Diamondbacks feel they needed to do that in order to maintain that rapport with katel Marte. I don't know, but looking back at what we.
Speaker 2: Know about him now, no, what we know about him now, I mean, you know, at considering how well he produced in twenty four it's not hard to imagine him being very dissatisfied with his contract and how that may play out, you know, on the field.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 1: Mike Hazen in his interview that you referenced earlier, he said that he was hopeful that Kateel Marte will play again in twenty twenty six. He said, I'm going to say I'm hopeful when when asked that question. But the fact that Mike is speaking in those terms, I think really in and of itself, speaks to just how little clarity there is on this right now. That could tell Marte he might have played his last game as a member of the Diamondbacks. Like, I don't think I was thinking in those terms when we were talking about this a couple of days ago. I'm kind of thinking in those terms now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know for sure. I mean it's he's going to have to find a way to fix this, right, I mean, Kaitel has to fix this. He's the one that didn't show up for work. And if it really was about your knee, you go into you go into the ballpark and you go get treatment on your knee, you don't just say I'm not coming. Now there's all the you know, he's dealing with personal issues. Well again, well, I'll go back to what I said on Monday night.
Speaker 3: Got to communicate, Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: You got to communicate what that is to the team and convince them that this personal issue is going to preclude you from being able to do your job for a little bit, you know. And I'm sure that if he'd done that, they would be as empathetic as possible and understanding as possible. But you know, yeah, do communication wasn't forthcoming, and so you know, here we are.
Speaker 1: The Diamondbacks have a lot of questions to answer about Katel Marte. I imagine they're going to have to give answers to a lot of these questions. Like at some point I think we're I'd think we're going to find out like where kateel Marte is right now, where he's been the last couple of days. I can't really imagine this story playing out in us not getting answers to those questions eventually. But yeah, Mike Hazen did not reveal a whole lot in his interview today. Tory Leavello has not revealed a whole lot either, and he's going to have an MRI tomorrow. Jack and uh, I guess I guess we'll see. It's hard to know how much how much this knee injury, the potential of a knee injury was really a factor here. Is that like a separate issue from what happened the other day? You know, it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to not show up to work due to an injury, because like that's where you get treatment for that injury. So it's all a very puzzling situation. And yeah, if you're Tory Leavello, if you're Mike Hazen, if you're any player on this team right now, you're having to answer a whole lot of uncomfortable, uncomfortable questions.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, Well said my piece, And I'm going to have to say more because this story isn't over just the only on a personal note and just certainly isn't about me. But I this is bumming me out, it just as bumming the whole thing is just a bummer, you know. I mean, I want them all to play well. I want them all to be happy and healthy, you know, And I hate to see the players and coaches go through this. I hate to see the fans go through this. I hate to see all the rancor and discord and toxicity revolving around this, and people attacking each other over it. This whole thing is a real bummer. I've been feeling pretty sad about the whole thing just for all of those reasons.
Speaker 3: I don't think you're alone in that.
Speaker 1: Certainly, the vibes around the Arizona Diamondbacks organization have not been fantastic, to say the least, over the past forty eight hours. We have more to get to in this episode beyond they could tell Marte's situation. We're going to talk a little bit about the first couple games of this series, really about Merrill Kelly and kind of his status right now as he continues to struggle. And we'll look ahead to the weekends series against the Cincinnati reds Aohennio Suarez returning to the desert, which should be fun. So don't go anywhere. We'll be back right after this. Here on Snake's territory.
Speaker 4: We have popin colors for Mack Weldon. Here, I've got a little green shade, You've got a nice blue shade. And what else do you love about Mack Weldon?
Speaker 6: Crats, I can be head to toe with Mack Weldon. I have the underwear, I have the shorts, I have the pants, I have the socks. Obviously we got the shirt and the jackets. But it's head to toe comfort no matter what piece they send. I even have a belt that looks sick.
Speaker 4: And make sure you check out mack Weldon's air Knit ex fabric to help you out. Their lightest fabric fused with nylon mesh for maximum airflow. Skip the midday wardrobe changes. That barely there feel also keeps you feeling more dry and more fresh. You can browse that collection at mackweldon dot com. Don't sweat the heat this summer. It feel as effortlessly cool as you look. With Mack Weldon. Go to Mackweldon dot com and get twenty off your first order of one hundred and twenty five bucks or more with promo code foul that's m ack w E L d O N dot com code foul.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Jack Merril Kelly was not exactly at the top of his game on Tuesday, unfortunately. Four plus innings from him seven hits, six runs, four walks, and two strikeouts. He threw eighty six pitches, not a whole lot of hard contact against him only four hard hit balls out of seventeen. The average exit below against him was only eighty four miles per hour, so there were kind of a lot of dinks and dunks that did drop in for hits. At the same time, the walk numbers just continue to be too high, and he has not been a reliable starting pitcher for the Diamondbacks here in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you tweeted something out about his zone percentages the other day, you know, and it's really distressing to look at just how bad that's been over his last I don't know however many starts, and you know, we're just you can just see it developing early in the starts. Armside, miss armside, miss boom boom boom, Here we go, you know, nibble nibble, nibble, here we go. And it's just, you know, he's as frustrated and bummed out about it as anybody. And he talked about that after his start. I mean, he has a calendar, you know, it's August eighteenth, when he's when he's having putting up that outing. He's had plenty of time to figure out his season, and it looked like he did in July. But he's you know, just gone right back to unreliable Meryl. I mean, we went from Meryl to mainstay to Merrill stay home, you know, in way too short a period of time. Here, you know, two year, forty million dollar deal, and you know, I have people text me and saying, so are the Diamondbacks ever going to let him throwing off innings next year to vest that option for twenty eight with one hundred and seventy innings. If he throws next year, then he's vested for twenty eight. So you know, I mean, it's it's tough. I mean, it's just the whole thing. If you look at Zach's, you know, innings pitched in era, you look at Meryl's innings pitched in era, and you smush those two together and see what looks like. You know, for the amount of money that you're spending, it's amazing that they've managed to piece it together. But now, you know, you have Mitch Bratt who was not able to follow up as good as outing, you know, and find some consistency. You have Meryl, who you can't depend on. So you know, you have three guys in your rotation that you can depend on, and one of them all by the way just gave up five runs, so you know it's it's going to be tough. I mean, they're going to be I saw another report on Corbyn Burns is expected back, you know, the first week of September. How has he even thrown a live hitters yere?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that still remains baffling to me too.
Speaker 2: I don't buy it. I don't buy it. I mean, or if he is, like it's going to be a disaster if he's thrown to live hitters. That just happened. I didn't get the updates on that, okay, but you know, as of less than a week ago, he was still just throwing bullpens and had not thrown the live hitters. So maybe in the last few days he threw the live hitters. Maybe after live hitters he can go for a game, you know, in the Bridge camp. But I mean, there's just no the calendar doesn't permit Corbyn Burns to be out on the mound the first week of September as anything other than a relief pitcher.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I mean, if.
Speaker 2: You're talking about a viable starting pitcher that you can at least send out for his first outing to give you four innings. That's got to be mid September at the earliest, just looking at the calendar. I don't know how he gets there or E'll see, I could be wrong.
Speaker 1: Circling back to Marrow real quick. You mentioned the tweet I put out on his zone persones. I'll throw that on the screen real quick.
Speaker 3: Merril.
Speaker 1: Last season through about forty eight percent of his pitches in the strike zone. League average is right around there at forty eight percent as well. You look at that number in his start on Tuesday, it was thirty eight percent, thirty nine percent in his start before that, forty percent in his start before that, and then about thirty six and a half back on August second. So yeah, I just, you know, maybe the stuff is diminished, and in some way it doesn't look like this stuff is all that different from at least the public facing information we have. But yeah, he just needs to be able to throw the ball in the strike zone more often. And I don't know if it's nibbling necessarily, Like I think he wants to throw the ball in the zone and at least that's what it feels like to me, and he just is not able to. And that's why you're seeing all of these arm misses, these arm side misses over and over again. Those are just misfire, whereas mechanics are not working the way that they should. You know, I'm not sure this is MARYL. Kelly being afraid to challenge hitters. Maybe that's part of it as well, but you know, if it is, he's he's just going to have to get over that and start attacking the zone because there are very very few pitchers, especially starting pitchers, who can be successful throwing the ball in the zone only about you know, thirty eight, thirty nine, forty percent of the time, and certainly MARYL. Kelly throwing around ninety two miles per hour. He's never been one of those guys, and I don't think he's ever going to be one of those guys either.
Speaker 2: Right by the way, just you know, for our listeners, I want to make sure that the distinction between zone percentage and strike percentage is clear because strike percentage includes hits. So even if the ball is outside the zone and the guy reached out and you know, hit a dink out into the left center field or whatever, like Meryl gave up seven hits. So of the fifty three strikes that he had seven of those were actually base hits, whereas zone percentage is the actual strike zone and nine percentage of pitchers that go into the zone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is a very good point of clarification. Yeah, the number of strikes he threw in that game the other day wasn't that bad. He did get a decent amount of chase outside the zone from Red Sox hitters. But he's just become very reliant on that chase in order to get out because he's just not in the zone very often. So that's going to be a key for Merril Kelly. Hopefully he's able to turn things around. Diamondbacks very very much need that from him in order to get where they want to get down the stretch here. Speaking of that, will go ahead and look at the standings. The Diamondbacks are sixty seven and sixty one. After this win on Wednesday over Boston, they're a game out. The San Diego Padres lost their game to the Mets today. They actually lost that series to the New York Mets. So the Padres cooling off here at least a little bit. Phillies stay red hot. They win another game against the Miami Marlins. They had the sweep over Minnesota over the weekend. They are playing very good baseball right now at seventy to fifty eight. They're now three games ahead of the Diamondbacks in that second wild card spot, and then the Chicago Cubs are far pretty far out of reach at this point, holding the top wild card spot. Cardinals and Marlins not too far behind the Diamondbacks to three games out and four games out, respectively. So this just kind of underscores though, how big of a win this was for the Diamondbacks if they had if they had lost this game to Boston, they would be two games behind the Padres, four games behind the Phillies, and only a game in front of the Saint Louis Cardinals, who would really be right on their heels at that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the five point thirty one win percentage for the Padres, that works out to eighty six wins, Phillies five to forty seven. That's almost eighty nine to eighty eight point something close to eighty nine wins. So, you know, I think that it's going to take at least eighty eight wins to get in, you know, and that's going to include probably having to take two out of three the last weekend the series fund the Padres to get in. That's what I think is gonna happen. And they may not get that far, right Like if they may falter and that final weekend may not even matter. But if they're getting in, it's coming down to the final weekend for sure. There's no way that the Diamondbacks are going to clinch a wildcard spot before the final three games of the season. I just don't see it.
Speaker 1: Well, it just wouldn't feel right for the Arizona Diamondbacks to have their postseason fate determined at any point before like September twenty sixth, right, Like we're not supposed to know the answer to that any sooner. So that's the way that they've rolled the past few years. It looks like things are trending that direction this season as well. Hitching matchups this weekend, Jack the Diamondbacks miss Chase Burns, which is very helpful considering season he's had for Cincinnati. It's looking like it will be Eduardo Rodriguez against Nicolodolo in the opener on Friday, than Michael Soroka and Rhet Louder on Saturday, and then Mitch Bratt and Andrew Abbott on Sunday. In the finale, d Backs get a lefty here in two out of the three games, which always seems really big for them. Rhet Louder, the one right handed pitcher that they will get in this series, the one right handed starter that they will get, and you could talk yourself into him being gettable. He has a five to one seven ERA this year. Granted, we've seen the d Backs struggle against those types of right handed pitchers, but this series lines up pretty well for them.
Speaker 2: What type of right handed pitchers the guys that throw at their right.
Speaker 1: Arm pretty much, Yeah, anyone that throws at their right arm. They've struggled against those guys this year. It's been a problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's funny. I was just thinking back a little bit to the Red Sox series and how the DBAX record against teams over five hundred amproved. But they're going to have to keep beating up on the sub five hundred teams now that they've got a few chances here. They can't let what happened to the Rockies happen to me. This is a must win series, absolutely a must win series. I'm not gonna say must sweep, you know, but they have to win this series. They have to look at a certain point, they need to go on a run, you know again where they're like, you know, twenty two and ten, Like they have to go on a run where they play seven, eight, ten games above five hundred, right, I mean eighty eight seventy twenty two then I don't know, I mean, it doesn't mean like they're going to do that the whole time. But eighty eight and seventy four, which doesn't even guarantee you getting in, right, that's fourteen games above five hundred. So you know they need to get on a run here, they really do. And you know the schedule Stiffen's up again right after the Red Series, so they need to keep some momentum here this weekend. This is a much win series.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, their strength of schedule the rest of the way grades out as being fairly favorable, but you look at it and it feels like just a mixed bag. It's like, yes, you've got three against Cincinnati, but then you've got three against the Cubs, and then you've got four against the Giants, but then you've got three against the Phillies, who are really hot. Right now, the Astros. After that, they're a good team. Then you've got the Royals, and then you have a team's couple of teams right in the middle with Texas and Miami, and then the Dbacks finished with the Yankees, which is gonna be a tough series. Yankees probably will still have something to play for. And then you've got three on the road against the Rockies and then those three huge games against San Diego to end the season. So going series by series, it doesn't really feel all that easy to me. It doesn't feel impossible, like it's not super difficult. There are other teams who have it worse. I know the Phillies in particular. Their schedule tightens up in September. But it is going to be a dogfight the rest of the way, no doubt on that front.
Speaker 3: That is.
Speaker 1: I guess everything we have, Jack, Are there any other any other thoughts or takeaways or topics you wanted to get to here?
Speaker 2: I can't wait to see Gino on Friday. Go say hello to him and get some good vibes there. We got to get some good vibes from Gino even though he's in Cincinnati. Now, you know, at least I'll get some good vibes. I go out and give him hug.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he hasn't been hasn't been quite the player with Cincinnati this year that we've seen the past couple of years. But he does still have eighteen home runs there, he has fifty runs batted in. The powers still there and the good vibes are absolutely still there as well as they always are with Gino.
Speaker 3: Be good to have him back at Chase.
Speaker 1: Feel we're hypothesizing the Dbacks will have like a little video montage or something. It feels like that would be appropriate. I know Gina wasn't a Diamondback for very long, but he did hit sixty six home runs in the span of a year and a half, which is.
Speaker 3: Sort of wild.
Speaker 1: So yeah, be good to have Gino Suarez back at Chase Field for sure, and a big series for the Diamondbacks as they continue to try to find their way into one of those NL wild card spots. Well, thank you to all of you for being with us on this episode. We really appreciate your time. As always, be sure to find us on Twitter. I am at Jesse and Friedman. Jack is at Sho Wizard fifty nine and our show is at Snake's Territory, do all the things that I said before, Like and subscribe, and leave a comment and leave us a review.
Speaker 3: On Apple Podcasts and Spotify.
Speaker 1: We always really appreciate that, and we will be back with another episode of Snake's Territory very very soon