Speaker 1: Comedy Up Broadway in Lexington. Welcomes Dal Jones February fourteenth and fifteenth, Then catch Lucas and Selnik February twenty first and twenty second, and don't miss club favorite Ian Bagg February twenty seventh through March first. Comedy Up Broadway opened and downtown Lexington in nineteen eighty seven, and they're still bringing the best in stand up comedy to the area thirty eight years later. Call eight five nine two seven to one joke or visit Comedy Up Broadway dot com Bay.
Speaker 2: Welcome everyone.
Speaker 3: It is Kentucky Sports Radio, Thursday, March the sixth. I'm Matt Jones here in Lexington, Kentucky at the KS Bar.
Speaker 2: And Grill on a cloudy day.
Speaker 3: It snowed last night, which I did not know was going to happen, But you can give Shannick Clarks Puppet Shop faulm line A five nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven. What's the a vision Auto glass text machine? I say it every day. Do you know the number.
Speaker 4: Seven seven two seven seven four five two five four, Well, yeah, I stayed a holiday Express.
Speaker 3: Lass stop saying that in This edition is sponsored by the TJ. Smith Lo office. If you call TJ. He'll make them pay.
Speaker 2: Ryan.
Speaker 3: We are joined today here at the bar by twenty plus young impressionable minds from Owen County High School. So thank you very much for being here. All right, listen that table back there. You don't get to sit in the back and not clap. Let's try that again. We're joined by people from there. Yeah, all right, this is there. They do media this media class. That's also they do like a school TV show at Owen County. And to give people a little background how this happened. Remember one day we were just sitting around and I said, we're gonna send Mario somewhere out in the state. We're gonna do that again sometime. And I don't remember how we How did we pick Owen.
Speaker 4: I think he just randomly picked it.
Speaker 3: I think I just randomly picked on because I knew he could get there. It wasn't that far away, right, And then he went. Next thing, you know, they're welcoming, welcoming him in the school. They got his name up on the board, et cetera. And then he ends up inviting these folks here and.
Speaker 2: Here we are.
Speaker 4: They treated him like Walthy when he went to the school that they've.
Speaker 3: Already disrupted the UK sports schedule because Mark Stoops was going to come in here today, but because of Owen County, he was not allowed to come in here.
Speaker 2: So now we scheduled it to Tuesday because they have to.
Speaker 3: It's like something about, you know, when they can see one of you could be the next star football player. So it had to postpone until Tuesday. But we weren't gonna miss Owen County.
Speaker 2: And here they are.
Speaker 5: I understand. I see some prospective athletes got some varsity jackets over here. Looks like a powerlifting hat. Stoops could have gotten a little trouble being around all these athletes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: Carson Williams was the basketball player from Owen County that lit it up, like lit it up. One of the best scores in the state.
Speaker 4: We've missed her basketball at Easter.
Speaker 3: Basketball and then he went to Northern and then Western and his sister is is here, which I didn't realize she was.
Speaker 2: Talking to you.
Speaker 4: I didn't know he had transferred to Western Kentucky. But yeah, he's got to be by far the best athletes Owen County.
Speaker 2: Am I right. We played Northern in the tournament and we played him, didn't we That's what I thought, Yeah, tried.
Speaker 3: We played North in the first round of the tournament, and I think he played during that game, and we played against.
Speaker 4: Good memory, I'd forgotten that, but I think you're right about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, see, i'd remember some things.
Speaker 3: That was what twenty eighteen, twenty nineteens, twenty sixteen seventies, that was fos okay, Yeah, so Fox and Monk played.
Speaker 4: I remember playing Northern Kentucky. I think he did play in the game.
Speaker 2: That's right. Well A nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven.
Speaker 3: Some things to get here to start off, First of all, great clip that Mario put out yesterday of you on television in nineteen ninety six when Mark Pope won the national championship with Kentucky.
Speaker 2: You're a young newscaster. How old are you that year?
Speaker 4: Twenty nine years old?
Speaker 3: Twenty nine years old, Such a fresh faced young chap back then.
Speaker 2: So much hair.
Speaker 3: That was the lot I really stuck out to me, is that there was so much hair back then.
Speaker 4: I think I had great hair, and I think Mark Pope also had great hair.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you a question. About Mark Pope's hair. I was looking.
Speaker 3: You know, he has not doesn't have it shaved as close as he normally does. If you looked at the game the other night, his hair almost looked black as it was coming in. But what I noticed is he has a full head of hair, but yet he still chooses to to to shave it.
Speaker 2: As someone who is hair challenged.
Speaker 3: Does that offend you that he could grow hair and chooses not to, Absolutely it does.
Speaker 4: He's got a full head of hair. Man, let it grow out, get it be a get an afro, be a hippie, let it go.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe not that, but like he could at least I was. I didn't realize. I thought he did like most people.
Speaker 2: But it grew in and he actually has hair.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've noticed that too. You can kind of see his hairline. It's where it should be, where you was kind of what he and he and Buzz Williams both go voluntarily go buzz buzz.
Speaker 2: Remember he buzz put it in?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I hope. Actually somebody asked him about it, and he said, when you grow up with five women in your house, you don't have time to do anything of your hair. So we just cut it down so we didn't have to do anything with it. Just great up.
Speaker 2: Oh is that right?
Speaker 4: Yeah he made that comment. Yeah, he goes, I don't have time to do anything with my hair because my all my daughters have all the bathroom times.
Speaker 2: So it was interesting watching that clip.
Speaker 3: Besides how young you were, is that Mark Pope even back then was like a joke guy like he was. He would do use that what you remember him. And you could also tell by the way he talks smart even back then.
Speaker 4: He was always had a little smirk on his face, was trying to, you know, have some fun with you. And Cutler and him had a good rapport. They always did stuff like that throughout the season. And that was right before March Madness. Mark shows up to do talk to Cutler and he's got holes in his socks right there.
Speaker 2: These are Remember that Bill Kytley wouldn't give him new socks, wouldn't give him new socks.
Speaker 4: And here we are getting to go to March Madness and trying to make a run and they got holes in their all their socks.
Speaker 3: Well, it was a good video, and I thank you to a guy came to the show yesterday.
Speaker 2: He had a little thumb drive that had.
Speaker 3: Like two hours of Mark Pope nineteen ninety six material, and Mario is gonna put it out throughout the course of the year, so or through the through the march madness. Now, yesterday drew big night. Last night for Kentucky and the SEC. Pretty much everything we wanted to happen happened. Oklahoma beat Missouri.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 3: Now, if we beat Missouri on Saturday, we will actually win the tiebreaker against them and be tied.
Speaker 2: Then Old Miss beat Tennessee.
Speaker 3: I know some people wanted the other result, but it guarantees we do not play on Wednesday, so Kentucky gets a bye in the SEC tournament. Thank you to Old Miss for winning that game. And I guess the simplest way to describe it now is lose to Missouri.
Speaker 2: We're the eight.
Speaker 3: Seed playing Thursday at one o'clock. So if you're watching that game and we lose, we're the eight seed Thursday at one o'clock. If we win, because of all those results, we're not the eight seed. We will either be the five, the six, or the seven. So we can get all the way up to a five seed. A lot of stuff would have to happen, but looking at it, drew the most likely result if we win is a six, which would put us going up against the three seed in the second round, which is Tennessee. It would avoid Arkansas because a lot of us don't want to have to play a second game like that. True, I think you beat Missouri after all these ups and downs and ups and downs.
Speaker 2: I think if you beat Missouri, you get a three seed.
Speaker 3: In the NCAA tournament, you get a bye in the SEC, and you get to play a Tennessee team you've already beaten twice in the quarterfinals.
Speaker 2: I don't know that you could ask for anything better than that. If you can get that win.
Speaker 5: Saturday, definitely, And they took a bad loss last night, so they're going the wrong direction. I was watching Ole miss Tennessee. Almost tried to give that away, by the way, but I was just screaming Hotty Toddy at my television. I know some people wanted to Tennessee to win, to help until you get a higher seed. I just wanted to get away from Wednesday before the weekend.
Speaker 2: Win. For me, getting away from the Wednesday was a key. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, first of all, I think it's gonna be almost impossible for us to win the SEC tournament.
Speaker 2: But if you wanted to have.
Speaker 3: A chance, you can't play five games nowadays, and even if you do, you might kill yourself for the NCAA tournament. And now you get a chance to where if you win out of that slot where you I mean, if you win against Missouri, you can probably get to a place where you don't even play in the Auburn bracket and.
Speaker 2: You could actually have a chance.
Speaker 3: You'd be down there with Tennessee and Florida teams you have already beaten, like it seems pretty.
Speaker 4: Good, and I think it's a good time to catch Missouri. They've lost what three of their last four or something like that, and they're kind of slimping the heir at the end of the season. Slide in there, get that win. You'll put yourself in a better position than in the tournament.
Speaker 3: Uh all right, So did you see the UK Do you see the old miss court store?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yes, all right, so we got to ask you. I wanted to join them.
Speaker 3: Well, right, so if you didn't see they won, they tried to block them from storming the court, all right, so nobody like they block them. They get keep almost everybody, but like thirty people get on the court, then they get Tennessee off and then all the other students come. But here's my question for you. If you're the SEC. Thirty people got through, it's.
Speaker 2: A five hundred thousand dollars fine if that was considered at the court store.
Speaker 3: If thirty college kids break through the ranks and get on the floor, is that enough for the five hundred thousand dollars fine? And if not, then how many would it take? How many people breaks the line for you to where you now should be fine?
Speaker 4: See that's why it's gonna be tricky for the SEC office. You know that they if they let it slide. Okay, what if the next game then fifty people slide on the next game sixty people? Where do you draw the line?
Speaker 3: That's what I just asked you. So what is the answer to the quoint? I don't need you to repeat the question. What is the answer?
Speaker 4: I don't know how you can find them five hundred thousand for last night that was you know, thirty kids out there run around. But if you have me to set the line, I say the line would be one hundred, So you would.
Speaker 2: Say one hundred so you would not find them for last night.
Speaker 4: I would not.
Speaker 6: We're of heads, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Like it's easy to like, are you really gonna say it's one hundred people?
Speaker 2: What if it's one hundred and one? Are you're gonna find them?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: I actually think it's tough.
Speaker 4: Yeah, would you do if.
Speaker 2: You were sharing and if you have thirty people there?
Speaker 7: That was more like a court drizzle than a court storm.
Speaker 6: But I think that if anybody runs out on the court, that's gotta be considered.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, now let me take you the other one. If you say anybody, yeah, what if just one guy runs out there? Is it five hundred thousand?
Speaker 7: I think it is. I think, yeah, he goes to jail.
Speaker 3: You're telling me, okay, well he goes to jail, But you're telling me one security guard screws up and can't hold somebody back. Yeah, and one person goes out there, and you're charging the school five hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 7: Yep, you better make sure you got good security.
Speaker 3: See, I don't know. I think it's a tough. Like it was more than a couple, but it wasn't a full storm.
Speaker 5: What do you do drew right the check o miss thirty people. That's a student section. Some student sections don't get thirty people at some of these games. I don't know where exactly you draw the line, but thirty is well over it for me. Maybe you're kid, Oh yeah, well.
Speaker 2: Then they should just let them all go because if you're already paying.
Speaker 5: With thirty breakthrough, it's too late. That's thirty students on the court. That is, it's more of a sprinkle, but it's still rush the court and storming it.
Speaker 4: Now, what if somebody from Moss went to the microphone like they've done in some schools and say don't scorm the don't storm the court, and yet then thirty did it.
Speaker 3: Well, But I mean just saying it's not enough because then they'll just say it every game. Like what if you just said it and then no security tried to stop them. I mean, I think you have to put it on the school to stop them.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I watched it and.
Speaker 3: I thought this is gonna be this is gonna be a real challenge for the SEC. And it's also shows the SEC now is taking the biggest keep people off the court because.
Speaker 2: It's a half million dollars and the story.
Speaker 3: About you have to pay the school that you played again, so they would have to write a check to Tennessee for a half million dollars.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you saw the Georgia game the other night.
Speaker 3: Kirby Smart got on the microphone during the Georgia game and said, do not storm the court. I need to use this money to get a player that's perfect. And I think that actually worked. Yeah, to be honest with you, because I think they were playing who are they playing, maybe Tennessee or Florida or somebody like that, and they were like, I don't want to give it to them, So I don't know, Drew. It's kind of an interesting new development.
Speaker 5: I watched that one too. That was the Florida game. That's a Florida.
Speaker 2: They're ad and Kirby Smart. We're begging, like.
Speaker 5: Do you all like football police, don't run on this court. We need players. And I think we've seen Missouri do it. Ole miss has now done it, the Texas A and M do it on Saturday. It's become kind of common around the conference to beg students not to rush.
Speaker 3: Well, either way, I thought that was interesting and for Kentucky. I don't know that tonight. Last night could have gone a lot better. There are still scenarios as to how you get the five, how you get the six, how you get the seven, but the basics of it are.
Speaker 2: To lose eight seed, win five.
Speaker 3: Six or seven, and then who you play and all that is still up in the air. But I really last night Drew went as well as it could.
Speaker 2: Have for Kentucky.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm really just excited to get past Saturday SEC scenarios have taken years off my life. Last night on that the Americas with Tom Hanks, pretty little animals, natives like planet Earth round two, what Tom Hanks is and it's only America. I should have been paying attention, but my brain was like, all right, if lsu wins, I even went as far. I got up and nerded out and got the actual percentages. I took Ken Palm's analytics per game, and you, yeah, we have a nine percent if you have a five seed, A twenty three percent chance would be in the sixth seed, the sixty three percent of the eight seed, and then whatever. I don't have that in my notes, but add those and then that's the seventh seed.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: If you if you're looking at what is most likely lose eight wins six, I think that's the more.
Speaker 2: Which mean, but that's a big difference. That's the difference.
Speaker 3: Between playing at one o'clock or at nine to thirty.
Speaker 2: I mean, we if we win Saturday, we've got the game.
Speaker 3: It's probably that late late game that puts us in bed at two am.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, they didn't start till after ten, ten thirty. Sometimes they get runn late. Back out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if I'm nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven, text machine is seven to seven to two seventy four five two five four. I'm glad to have Owen County here, the rebels. Is that what you all are? The Owen County Rebels. Gave me a hoodie and we'll take a break and be right back. This is Kentucky Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Working back. It is Kentucky Sports Radio.
Speaker 3: If I'm nine two, eight oh twenty two eighty seven, here got our friends from Owen County. They were telling me, first of all, Carson Williams sister, what's your name?
Speaker 2: Kelsey?
Speaker 3: She was a great athlete and herself leads the school all time in block shots and rebounds. They also said they had a female kicker on the football team, a girl kicker who had twenty eight extra points and according to one of the guys back there, would lay a guy out, Yeah, needed to. So that's that's that's my kind of woman. Just smack a dude right in the face if they needed to.
Speaker 2: So I like that.
Speaker 4: Scared me the way he described her up scared of her.
Speaker 3: That's exactly exactly right, Shannon. We can't talk about it, obviously because you can't use the words yea and uh because of who's here.
Speaker 2: But I sent you a video.
Speaker 7: It was a great video. I just saw it.
Speaker 3: Shannon's face, it was it's they've made a okay, remember the topic A couple couple shows ago about what a lot of women I know like to read.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Uh, there's a song that got made bet that's going viral.
Speaker 3: Just coincidentally, as if we just Shannon, we just talked about this. It it's viral.
Speaker 2: Uh, and I've made I made Shannon laugh, which is very hard to do actually, So uh, eight twenty seven, one person goes, Matt, why don't they just make the fans pay the five? Yeah? Good luck? Look at those thirty people and say y'all split five hundred thousand. So, uh, what you guys each? Kids?
Speaker 3: I want you each to give us seventeen thousand dollars if that's okay.
Speaker 4: He's primarily poor college kids.
Speaker 2: They're poor.
Speaker 3: I don't know in the last time you've been to old missus, but I don't think a lot of them are poor. But still I don't think you're getting seventeen thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 5: I guess you could do something like, if you're one of the ones on the court, we can punish you through the school. I mean, you can't ask them for money, but little things like I remember getting my report or my what's it called? Don't even have anything diploma, couldn't even get the diploma until you paid your parking tickets. Maybe you could do something like punish them through the school.
Speaker 3: Uh all right, So I do have to say before we go to the phones. Last night in Lexington was absolutely wild. Do you know why?
Speaker 4: No, I don't know why.
Speaker 3: They opened the publics Oh yes, out there next to citation. Now you all in Owen County, you don't have these, well, we didn't have them until last night, and I don't know did they announce it or did they just randomly do it.
Speaker 2: No, I've been getting mailed about it for weeks. Okay, So they opened the publics last night. I didn't know what was happening. Okay.
Speaker 3: I had to drive to Georgetown to get my Georgetown College check, right, so I drive. When I come back, I'm like, what is going on? Why are there people everywhere? And then I saw it was opening. I pulled into that parking lot.
Speaker 2: You would have thought that, like Kendrick Lamar was playing inside.
Speaker 3: There were people bowl everywhere. There was not a parking spot. I drove around. I was like, I got an extra few minutes. I just want to go in there and see why why Mario loves it so much. Mario's like, Mario's more excited than anybody. There was not a spot to park anywhere. There were people honking at each other. What is going on? Why were people losing their mind so much?
Speaker 5: I saw a picture on Facebook for the pub subs, and those are good, but the line people were waiting for to get a sandwich was unbelievable. I saw someone commented it was a three hour weight to get.
Speaker 2: On tent top.
Speaker 3: There was a guy who said it was a two to three hour weight to get.
Speaker 2: A sub sandwich. What could be so good about them?
Speaker 5: My dad actually went over there to see it. He said he couldn't even get near the area where people were lined up, it was so busy inside. He kind of just went in and left because you couldn't even move.
Speaker 3: I'm not even kidding. There was not a parking space anywhere. And that is a huge parking is and there was not a parking space. Like why do you think people felt the need to be there yesterday? Like it's gonna be opened for the next however long.
Speaker 4: It's just that, you know, the grand opening, like when you guys opened your cracker barrel in Middlesborough. Man, you're excited about something new coming in. It's the same as the cracker barrel in middle they believe it is. Yeah, So here's Josiah and I had made a plan. You know, it's out there by my house. We said let's not go to the opening day, we'll go the next day. So we have a father son trip this afternoon to go to Public's. And I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: So you're just excited as these people. Yes, it's just a grocery store.
Speaker 4: It's a grocery store on crack, it's like really good.
Speaker 2: It doesn't sound good.
Speaker 3: First of all, everybody I've ever seen on Crack is not happy, so I wouldn't think that would be positive.
Speaker 4: They're opening three in Lexi. There's gonna be three of them gonna be like this every time, probably probably because they're all different town.
Speaker 3: I was there when they opened the Rhine Steakhouse in Middlesborough and I saw that. I was there when they opened the Taco Bell in Pinefale and I saw that. I've not seen a furr like I saw and I just wandered into it from that publix and I've never seen anything like it.
Speaker 5: I couldn't either for a sandwich. I mean they're good. I can get them in a few months store, so let me yesterday team.
Speaker 3: So on the on the scale of how nice grocery stores are, what are we talking about? Like, Whole Foods is probably the nicest, am I right, Joe's and Whole Foods?
Speaker 2: Is this as nice as that? Or no?
Speaker 3: It's behind it? Is it ahead of Kroger? It's ahead of Kroger?
Speaker 2: Are you sure? Okay?
Speaker 3: So so we then Publics and then Kroger. So you're going Kroger dat. All right, so they're putting Kroger.
Speaker 5: Bt uh my understanding. I've only been on like vacation in Florida. They're the grocery stuff. Here's there getting groceries. It's a grocery store, but there's sandwiches and the deli and the food they make to serve is what puts sets them apart.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, yn't give us. I suggested Owen County. When this is over, they should go visit somewhere UK. Maybe they just want to go see the publics if they want to get if they really want to know what's going on.
Speaker 2: All right, who's up?
Speaker 7: Fairst ship Brandon?
Speaker 2: Brandon? Go ahead, Brandon?
Speaker 8: First time, long time?
Speaker 2: Who what what's up? Sir? Uh? So?
Speaker 8: I played against Carson Williams when I was in eighth grade.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, they can't hear you. They can't hear they can't hear you. But I'll have to repeat this. Guy played against Carson Williams.
Speaker 2: We go ahead.
Speaker 8: I was in eighth grade and I was at there Owen County Gym playing that We were in the locker room and we were getting ready for the game, and all of a sudden there was this thundering sound coming from outside of the locker room, and like nobody knew what was going on, And we ended up going out there and we walk out and all we see as soon as we walk out is this guy's in the middle of the air wind millon and it's Carson Williams.
Speaker 2: Doing will mill windmill dunks. I thought you met like as a halftime Yeah.
Speaker 8: Okay, yeah, no, wind mill dunkin at like thirteen or fourteen years old.
Speaker 2: So you're claiming that Carson Williams, what did wind mill dunks in eighth grade?
Speaker 3: That's hard for me to believe. Even his sister looks a little surprised by that comment.
Speaker 8: I promise we saw it. I saw it. It was it was crazy. But yeah, so, uh well, ye he was and he was a really good ballplayer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I appreciate the call. I agreed. So what you give me some of that let's you're you're good at this.
Speaker 3: Give me some names of like didn't go play I mean well, or even played in college, but did not at a major school. Uh, Kentucky high school guys over the years, sort of the we always talked about in the thirteenth Region. Nick Sanford out at Kwood back in the eighties. Who was the who was like a great player? Who else do you think?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: Ty Prophet from South Laurel ended up going to Moorhead State and got them into the NCAA tournament. He's the first one puffed to mind.
Speaker 2: What's the kid? Uh? What's the kid's name at holy Cross?
Speaker 4: It's there, Max Green?
Speaker 2: Max Green?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that plays at holy Cross? Now he is really good?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it might be a dude. You might want to look up something if you don't know who that is. How about Tyrod you might want to know something about Max Green from from from from holy Cross. I mean, I'm not saying, I'm just saying, but go ahead, ty.
Speaker 5: Rodgers with the famous buzzer beater in the NWA Tournament from Lyon County for Western.
Speaker 3: What was the kid's name from Hart County that was so good that went to Louisville. Wasn't there a kid from Hart County that went to Louisville the Bank?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I thought you were good at this. You are getting old. What happened you used to know all these people's names?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, I could come up with a bunch of guys, but you're talking about with smaller schools.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just like guys. I mean I can come up with Darius Miller, but like guys that played at you.
Speaker 4: Know, Malachim Reno's brother Michael Marino went to e KU and had Okay, Yeah, he was.
Speaker 2: Good, he was really good. Well, if you can think of other sort of schoolboy like Carson Williams legends, what we could look up? Look up the mister basketball. That'll help us with it. We'll take a break.
Speaker 3: A five nine, twenty two eighty seven perd backs Kentucky Sports Radio.
Speaker 7: TJ Smith, personal injury attorney called TJ.
Speaker 2: He'll make them pay.
Speaker 6: Now more of Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage.
Speaker 7: Here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 3: Welcome back Tucky Sports Radio. Tick Rogers was a guy I was looking for from Hart County. I couldn't think of his name.
Speaker 2: Now this young.
Speaker 3: Woman back here told me there's two twins, what's their name? More, Teagan and Lexi from Owen County that went to the Sweet sixteer with the l a classic played at Western and Pike. Well, so he give a little Owen County athletes. Now some of what I was looking for of like great high school names. How about Elijah Justice from the shopping area. There was the name I was talking about. I went to Louisville for a couple of years.
Speaker 4: He played a couple of schools. Yeah, he sure it did.
Speaker 2: All right, what else you got? Give me?
Speaker 3: Gave me some mister basketball started like started like nineteen ninety six, And give me a few before.
Speaker 5: He does his list? Can I add JR. Van Houst that went to Marshall and became a hall. Of course I watched that was my first sweet sixteen.
Speaker 2: Jr.
Speaker 3: Is very active on Twitter. He is very You think you think I'm an outspoken liberal in Kentucky.
Speaker 2: You want to see what j R. Van Who says? All right, so give me a few up here.
Speaker 4: In nineteen ninety six, Damian Fishback.
Speaker 2: Oh, of course, went to Auburn and it's now on the Games now in the.
Speaker 4: Games ninety seven, see if this this will be the reach Brandon Davenport.
Speaker 2: Now I don't know who that is. Where'd he goes?
Speaker 4: He was a little guy on my side and played at owen's Boro bo High Else ninety eight is j R. Van Hoo's ninety nine.
Speaker 3: Rick Jones went to Vandy Shannony wasn't he a handy guy?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Okay, and they ended up at Murray State. Then in two thousand Scott Hunley back to backand okay, now this is this run here. Two thousand and one Josh Carrier, Kentucky. Two thousand and two Brandon Stockton, Kentucky.
Speaker 3: Both of them beat Louisville the famous chess bump game.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 4: Two thousand and three Ross Neltoner nothing, he just took all the mister.
Speaker 2: Basket ross Nelton.
Speaker 4: Where did Ross Neltoner play Highlands for Thomas high Islands?
Speaker 3: Okay, keep going. I'm liking Chris Lofton. In two I heard it went to Tennessee.
Speaker 5: Your favorite player?
Speaker 2: Can I say something about Chris Soften for a minute, I guess I missed this news.
Speaker 3: So I keep seeing on the SEC network these promos for this thing with with Chris Lofton, this documentary. I did not realize that he do you know what the major thing is?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Did you know that?
Speaker 4: Well, he didn't tell anybody. He didn't tell his teammates, didn't tell his coach, didn't tell anybody until years after he graduated.
Speaker 2: Testicular cancer and got it during his senior year.
Speaker 4: It was his junior I think his junior year he got the diagnosis and he played his whole senior year with it. He played his senior year with it, I believe, so it did not tell his team, didn't tell anybody. Nobody knew about something that has been known. Well, once it finally came out. Maybe you know, years after he finished playing at Tennessee, it finally came out.
Speaker 3: So he he played his senior year, Yeah, and didn't get treatment during it.
Speaker 4: He may have. I don't know. That mean the documentary may say that documentary is coming up on Monday night. What I I.
Speaker 2: Did not know, Yeah, and that is that why he didn't play. He played overseas a little bit, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, played overseas for several years after Tennessee, like even I think after his diagnosis, he still continued to play.
Speaker 3: When I saw the documentary, they kept saying he came and said something serious. I didn't know what they were talking about. And then and then Huvey told me, all right, keep going.
Speaker 4: Uh, let's see. After Chris Loft in two thousand and five, Dominique Tilford no Idea Jeffersontown in Louisville.
Speaker 2: Do you remember that person?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I memory. Okay, didn't know that was two thousand and six. Walt Allen from South Laurel.
Speaker 2: No memory of that, all right.
Speaker 4: Two thousand and seven Stefan pettigrew.
Speaker 2: Okay, where did he go? He's from Bowling Green, right, he played at Western. He's a hilltopper, Yeah, played then he was? He from Bowling Green.
Speaker 4: From Elizabethtown. Two thousand and eight. Darius Miller, of course. Two thousand nine John Hood, Yeah, straight cat ten Elijah Justice, all right, we were just talking about him. Twenty eleven. Anthony Hickey, Oh, Tennessee, right.
Speaker 5: From town, very motivated, but he played Kentucky.
Speaker 4: Twenty twelve. Nathan doudone Nathan Dudo. I may be mispronouncing his last name, but I think that's right. He was a big guy at Trinity du Don. I think that's you're making that name up.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, uh.
Speaker 4: Two thirteen Dominie Hawkins.
Speaker 3: Dominie Hawkins, who was not going to get a scholarship offer from Kentucky. Remember Kentucky loses to Robert Morris, which allows John Caliperry to go to the Sweet sixteen, which otherwise I don't think he would have gone to. I agree, Dominique Hawkins goes off and he offers him a scholarship.
Speaker 2: That's one of the great unbelievable.
Speaker 3: If we beat Robert Morris, Dominie Cowkins probably doesn't end up playing here.
Speaker 5: You know, and then has a great career given the circus that was he The SEC tournament.
Speaker 2: Was all SEC tournament one year, which is nuts. All right, keep going.
Speaker 4: After Dominic Hawkins. Twenty fourteen. Quentin Snyder, louis he's from.
Speaker 2: He went to Louisville.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, go hum Ballard and we went to Louisville. Twenty fifteen. Cameron Justice okam Justice guy toy sixteen, Carson Williams Owen County High School right. Twenty seventeen. Tavyan Hollinsworth.
Speaker 5: I know that name, Hiltopper, Hilltopper. That's he's also election.
Speaker 4: Right, he's Fayette County's career scoring leader now here.
Speaker 2: Well not.
Speaker 4: I think he just got broke by Marcus Ward.
Speaker 2: We interviewed him on Haye Kentucky. That's right, okay, yes?
Speaker 4: Twenty eighteen, Trayvon Faulkner.
Speaker 3: Actually Tavyan hollins Worth co hosted Hay Kentucky with me one day?
Speaker 4: Did he really?
Speaker 2: I think he did, Yes, Okay, go ahead?
Speaker 4: Uh Trayvon Faulkner twenty eighteen from Mercer County went to Northern Kentucky.
Speaker 2: Remember.
Speaker 4: Twenty nineteen Dante Allen heard of him. Twenty twenty Davion McKnight another hilltopper, Another hilltopper, okay. Twenty one Ben Johnson, don't know.
Speaker 5: Lexon Catholic Besson we had I'm with Ben shirts a game.
Speaker 4: Did he go Bellerman?
Speaker 2: Bellerman?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Twenty twenty Turner but Tree don't know that name. He's a starting guard now at e Ku.
Speaker 2: Why are you shaking him out? Head? Butcher?
Speaker 4: Is it Butchery? That was but Tree? Well, you're wrong, I'm wrong. Twenty twenty three. A guy by the name of Reed Shepherd heard of him. Twenty twenty four, guy by the name of Travis Perry heard of him.
Speaker 2: All right, well there you go, nice little will you go over?
Speaker 4: That's the list?
Speaker 2: You know, that's a walk down memory lane there? All right?
Speaker 3: Channing, people are making fun of me for going to Georgetown to get my check.
Speaker 2: Why are they making.
Speaker 6: Fun when they say they have this great thing now called direct deposit that you could take advantage of it.
Speaker 7: Those right to your bank.
Speaker 2: Account my hand.
Speaker 3: Suddenly I heart. Did you know iHeart made me get direct deposit?
Speaker 4: They did.
Speaker 3: They were like, we're not mailing you checks anymore, and then you have to get direct deposit. But I still go get by hand by check from George.
Speaker 7: So how far of a driving were we talking?
Speaker 2: Fifteen fifteen?
Speaker 7: Yeh, that's such a bad But then.
Speaker 4: You got to drive it to the bank to deposit in your cant I go to the bank once or twice a week, Yeah, I do. I go to the bank still a lot.
Speaker 3: Well, the thing I can't get my app to work. So the only way I know how much money I have is to go to the bank. So I go in there and go I'm like a ninety year old woman.
Speaker 2: I go in there and go. Can I will you tell me what's going there?
Speaker 7: You get you get your sucker. You check your deposits exactly right.
Speaker 2: My app does not work, and I have no way of checking.
Speaker 5: You know the bank you're talking about because the app doesn't work for me either. Is it a fraction?
Speaker 2: I will say to fifth third, fix your app.
Speaker 5: I can't walk off.
Speaker 2: It has never worked at one time at fifth third, right, go ahead.
Speaker 7: Man, Oh you want me to go ahead, Okay, Joe, Who's next?
Speaker 2: Is what? Yeah? Joe, Joe, go ahead, Joe?
Speaker 9: Yeah, Hey, how you doing it a little bit?
Speaker 8: I want to talk about.
Speaker 2: Rockets and take us off speaker. Go ahead?
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, so got shift gears? Jackson Robinson losing him this year really hurt my favorite player. But after the LSU game, I mean, is there a world where our offense runs better with Kobe Brayers startin because it forces us to shoot?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think so. I appreciate the call. I mean he's at Do you think that the offense could be better without Jackson Robinson? That's hard for me to say yes to, if nothing else, just for depth, But I do. Do you think the starting five with Brea can be as powerful as the starting five with Robinson? But I just think you miss his depth. But the starting five I think can be just as good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can't. In no world do I think they're better off with Bray over Robinson even. I mean, he had some games where he disappeared defensively, but he also had some games hemade some good defensive stops. He got a lot of deflections, he was pretty active. I think they'll miss that a little more when you're comparing him to Kobe Brea. But I was surprised yesterday that Robinson was named a finalist for the Julius Irving Award of I mean, that's a small forward best in the country. With his injury status and just how the year win, I was surprised to see him make that list.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He makes a really good point, Ryan about defense. I mean, like Kobe Brayant, for all his strengths is I mean, you guys can guard better than he can. He's not a defender. So I do think you miss his defense quite a bit.
Speaker 4: Oh, there's no doubt about it. You know, we had the same conversation when Lamont Butler was out, you know, and Brett Rayle was starting. Did they make him a better offensive team? And you know, you can make your argument either way, but definitely not. I mean Jackson Robinson, I mean, he was he was becoming a star. I think he was just trying to find himself when he got hurt really bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do too.
Speaker 3: Who's next, David David eight five two eighty seven, Go ahead, David.
Speaker 10: Hey, guys, thanks for taking my call. Listen, man, I got four rapid fire points. If you'll give me thirty seconds.
Speaker 2: I won't give you thirty, but I'll let you go fast. Go. Okay.
Speaker 10: One, the hair thing. I think the pulp hair situation might be like that episode of Seinfeld where who was Elaine's boyfriend had a bald head and then he tried to grow it and realized he couldn't. Okay, Second, Public, since the new BUCkies.
Speaker 4: Is Public's the new BUCkies better than BUCkies?
Speaker 2: What's better than bucket?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Why is it better? Just there?
Speaker 4: They've got better food.
Speaker 2: Wow, you really are excited.
Speaker 4: I'm so excited.
Speaker 7: Better than the Beaver nuggets.
Speaker 2: Huh. Look your baby Billy shirt is on fire? There? What's next? No, God, to your next one? Real quick?
Speaker 10: Okay, I'll go to the fourth way. So that I think they did reps.
Speaker 9: Go into the.
Speaker 10: Review and all the injuries are tied into the biggest thing that people are not talking about in basketball, which is the physicality of the game. I think that the college basketball game is way too physical. I think that something needs done about it because we're seeing injuries way too often. In my opinion, I'll hang up lint.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know, I think I appreciate the call. I think the college basketball game had gotten way too physical a few years ago.
Speaker 3: I think a few years ago the college basketball game was kind of hard to watch because of how physical it was. I do think it's better. I mean I don't think. I don't think it's as physical. I think we've gotten hurt a lot, but a lot of that has just been random. I mean, non contact injuries are just something you know, when when Robinson got hurt at Oklahoma, just fell wrong.
Speaker 2: I mean some of that you can't help.
Speaker 5: There are a couple of teams, like if you watch a Georgia game, I don't even think they wanted basketball to be on the court. They're just out there to fight A and M. They're scrappy. I blame them for injuring Lamont Butler. So there are a few teams that need to clean it up in the SEC.
Speaker 3: But do you also have teams like Alabama Florida Aliburner's scoring points. Uh, It's like a few years ago nobody was scoring ninety in the SEC. I mean there was think about I mean I watched the game the other night where the it was forty eight forty eight from like ten years ago with a minute left, like you just I think it's I think the game.
Speaker 2: I think college basketball, the sport is significantly better than it was five to six years ago.
Speaker 4: Oh, I agree, And you know, a lot a lot of guys don't like that five out offense to run. They want to go to the post. But it's kind of been neat to see how Mario Wims has developed where he's learned how to be that post player guy and yet he can go out and play on the preimity. You can do both both offenses.
Speaker 5: Really with Pope system, I hope they call start calling two because he's even called the reps out in the postgame. Someone asks like why and Bray getting open, and he just said they're holding him, doing everything they can to keep him from getting a shot.
Speaker 2: Volunteers of America Mid States is part of Volunteers of America. It's been found in one hundred and twenty five years ago.
Speaker 3: Helps two million people each year with housing, justice, veteran support, shelter and more.
Speaker 2: You go to VOA Mid States. A new facility in Louisville broke ground on a new community care center in downtown to help with housing family resources. Learn more at VOA mid dot org that's voamd dot Org. I'm gonna ask you a very important question, Ryan, And you're gonna speak for the American people, the American people, for the American people when we come back. This is KSR Welcome back.
Speaker 3: It is Kentucky Sports Radio A five nine twenty two eighty seven. Here got lunch the ten minutes ks BAR opens, got a good group of Owen County students and then some other folks here. All right, you're gonna speak for the American people.
Speaker 4: I believe in the Americans.
Speaker 3: So I don't know if you I don't know if you've seen if you watch the news, there's so much happening in the news, it's sometimes hard to keep up. But one of the things that happens is is President Trump and the weirdo Elon Musk.
Speaker 2: They keep they like keep firing people, right, so like people.
Speaker 3: They keep letting government workers go, and then the courts come in and go, you have to hire that person back.
Speaker 2: It's happened like a bunch of times. And then this morning I saw that like five.
Speaker 3: Thousand workers for some branch maybe the whatever, they fired them all. And then they've come back three weeks later and said, you know, what we kind of need you to come back.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe they were doing something that was important. Maybe they should have figured that out before they fired him. But they came back and they said to those people, hey, we need you to come back.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: The question is they said, like I saw an interview where one of the guys in the Health and Human Services like, we really need these people to come back. They said, well what do they do? And like we don't want to talk about it, but we really need them to come back. So Ryan Lemon, you're gonna speak for the American people. Let's say you're Ryan Lemon. Federal government work, gotcha all right? Three weeks ago you got fired, yes, and told you were out, get out of here.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Three weeks later you've been like looking for jobs. What am I gonna do? Blah blah blah blah blah. Three weeks later, they come back, you go, you know what, we were thinking about it, and we need you again. You're a very prideful man. You're a person who I know holds a grudge more than any on one I know.
Speaker 2: Are you coming.
Speaker 3: Back three or four weeks later and going, you know what, everything's fine?
Speaker 2: Or are you gonna go forget it. You fired me, I'm out and I.
Speaker 4: Haven't found another job in these there's three weeks.
Speaker 3: I say, let's say that there's something you could do that's maybe not quite as good but still good. But they would but they fired you, and and now you they ask you to come back.
Speaker 4: If I had a job where I was making it even close to the same amount of money, I middle fingers in the air. I'm taking the other job. I'm walking away.
Speaker 2: How close does the money have to be? Uh?
Speaker 4: Well, I gotta consider my family.
Speaker 2: I got.
Speaker 4: It's gotta be enough. I can support my family, and I know I could do it on the government job. So if if the new job is anywhere close to that, I think I would walk.
Speaker 3: So let's say it wasn't. Uh, let's say, I mean you would you would come back if you had to?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: Absolutely? Got you feel weird about it? Yes, I would feel weird about it. Oh, he's looking over my shoulder, like I go, let me go again, just on a whim. You know, Donald Trump farts in the air.
Speaker 2: And I don't think that has anything to do with it.
Speaker 4: And some more people get fired.
Speaker 2: Uh would you come back?
Speaker 5: Yes, I would come back and they would get my c effort. I'd give about fifty percent every day and just sit there and if you want to fire me again for that, oh well you already fired me once. I'm just gonna go be about as lazy as I can be.
Speaker 3: So you would come back and use his excuse to do last I would go back and I would do half of what I did before. So when they wrote you at the end of the week and said what are the five things you've done, you'd only write three.
Speaker 5: I don't even know if i'd answer, I would even reply. I would just go take as much money as I couldn't.
Speaker 2: You are kind of like, Ryan, Yeah, hold a grudge? Are you? Are you coming back?
Speaker 6: I'm coming back, but not for the same pay you were paying me a lot more.
Speaker 7: I'm using that as a level. You want me to come back, That's fine.
Speaker 6: I'll come back, but there's gonna be a significant raise when I come back.
Speaker 7: It's gonna cost you.
Speaker 2: Answer. Good answer. I like that answer. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think I could get over it a lot quicker than you all than you could, Ryan, But I also it would annoy me. But the problem is, like if you have an employer, private employer, and they do something like that, you can just be angry and kind of yell at him. But let's say you're angry at the government, who you gonna yell at, Like, there's nobody like you can if you're not gonna be able.
Speaker 2: To yell at you on bus, so what are you gonna do.
Speaker 3: You're just gonna be like, well, I'm angry, but I guess I need the job, so I'll come back.
Speaker 4: Shannonbrick is a good point. If they sweetened the pot a little bit, I think we would be happy to go back.
Speaker 3: And I don't know how much the government that can sweeten the pot. Plus, the whole point was to save money. If they sweeten the pot, that's even worse.
Speaker 6: Gonna be even worse when they don't have anybody working there.
Speaker 2: Well, that's true. I think some of these jobs, they were like, you know what we need we need someone to watch these nuclear reactors over here. That might be nice. Here's up next, Mike, Mike, go ahead, Mike.
Speaker 9: Hey man. So you know, I'm kind of like a Potter Stewart on this stot Court the Storming deal, you know, I know, wh Yeah, that's right, And that's that. That wasn't court storming last night. Uh, there was no players in danger at any point. Yeah, and they controlled it once the Tennessee was off the floor, they allowed them on the So I mean, I think they actually did a nice job with that. So the other piece is we've got to get a handle on these fans throwing stuff on the floor or on the football field. It was really poetic justice in my opinion, that Tennessee missed a critical free throw after Old Miss threw something on the floor, But there should have been a technical called on the Old Miss team.
Speaker 4: That's a breach, whatever.
Speaker 2: You want to call it, really good point. I appreciate the call. Let's talk about that play.
Speaker 3: At one point, Tennessee was shooting a free throw and someone in the crowd for Old Miss threw something on the court that he missed the free throw. What do you think that they didn't do anything? Chris Beard got on the microphone and said stop throwing stuff. But do you think maybe that should have been a technical since you could argue maybe it had a small impact on the game.
Speaker 4: I think if after Chris Beard said that, if they threw something else, it's got to be a technical. They got it. They got to step in at some point. What makes people think they can throw like, I don't know, Like, I mean, we've seen it football games, We've seen a baseball game. Now see it basketball.
Speaker 3: You feel like it's happening a lot more now than it used to. Like, what makes people just think you can just throw things out on the court.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just during the guy's free throw insane.
Speaker 5: I mean, we just had Brandon Garrison almost get taken out with a full beer can. You got Tennessee throwing mustard and golf balls and all that a few years ago. I mean, I've been at games and I've done that. Was against Old Miss, though, wasn't it. I've done some of the best heckling you can heckle, but never cross my mind to throw something or do anything that crosses the line like that.
Speaker 3: I really can't believe they would do that. I did wonder. I kind of agree with the caller, even though I was wanting Old Miss to win. I was kind of surprised he didn't call it technical because it did have like a material impact on the game, or at least it felt like it.
Speaker 4: You could argue absolutely the kid missed the free throw. So do you think they should have given him another free throw?
Speaker 2: That's probably the most fair thing to do, but I'm not sure in the rules you can do that. I'm not sure in the rules you can just say, well, you get another throw because this. I don't know if you I don't know if you can do that.
Speaker 5: If my team's at the line, I'm throwing something at my own team.
Speaker 3: That's you have to think about what the ramification. If you can get an extra free throw for throwing it, then you would throw it and.
Speaker 2: Say we at least you get two chances out.
Speaker 5: I'll throw something at a Mari in the tournament if he gets another look at it.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 3: All right, We're gonna take a break. Open up ks bar A five nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven.
Speaker 2: This is Kentucky Sports Radio.