Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Elizabeth Zarain Burnette got a question for him, A girl, Yes, you know what's ridiculous?
Speaker 3: Oh do I yes? I do? Okay AI Yeah, fully ridiculous. Alvin Iverson Yes, for many reasons. Artificial intelligence.
Speaker 2: Oh, the other AI. We should call it that, the other AI.
Speaker 3: The other AI. Well, so the other AI truth. And but what's really ridiculous is when you kind of turn AI loose to write things or draw images. You know we've all missed totally. No, it's not well, I mean, unless you're going to mash up AI and an obituary.
Speaker 2: No, I'm over here like Kurt Gibson going around second pumping my arm.
Speaker 3: So AI. So someone had a I write this obituary and it is so amazing, and I it and I'm going to read it to you, okay. Brenda Tent retired from living at the age of old, surrounded by family and natural causes. A librarian from birth, Brenda was an avid collector of dust. She had a sweetheart and married her high school. She loved having hobbies and helping her sons to be disadvantaged youths. She had no horses, but thought she did. The church gave her a choir because she sang like a bird and looked like a bird, and Brenda was a bird. She owed us so many poems. The funeral will be held in nineteen seventy seven at Heaven in lieu of flowers. Send Brenda more.
Speaker 2: Life, ever.
Speaker 3: I love she had no horses, but thought she did poems. I think we found biobituary when the time comes. Oh yeah, it's perfect. So my fine feathered friend is ridiculous.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. Okay, Well that segue is really nicely into what I want to tell you today, which is equally ridiculous. If you have a moment, You got a moment, Yes, all right. As storytellers, Elizabeth, yes, we both know how one word, just one ill turned phrase, can ruin a whole story. Oh yeah, right, and sometimes like it's just even a mispronounced word, like on my.
Speaker 3: Part all the time, sometimes a little bit on purpose.
Speaker 2: Oh now, in this story, one misunderstood word, it led to a multi year war. It was a bloody affair there for a while. It was really bad, like private security guards were scared for their lives. Elders were going over the barricades to attack the police. It was lawless. It was chaos, Elizabeth, it was wild, and it all came down.
Speaker 4: To two words, mature trees.
Speaker 2: This is Ridiculous Crime A podcast about absurd and outrageous capers. Heiss and cons. It's always ninety nine percent murder free and one hundred percent ridiculous. Elizabeth Zaren. I saw this story. I told you it tickled my fancy because it kind of has everything. And I say everything, I mean it has like a little of everything. And you know how I love stories that I have a little every sure, right, Well, this one it isn't some you know, sprawling account of mid century America. It isn't a deep dive into the nineteen seventies or nineteen eighties and like either a weird religious culture or some drug thing. No, okay, this isn't a hinge of history story about the sixties. Nor is it a turn of the last century where we look back at the way we once were and how we are still the same. No, Elizabeth, No, miss Dunton. This time this is pure twenty first century lunacy. It's happening now pretty much. Oh wow, Yeah, exactly what it says on the tin. It's a war over trees, Yes, the Great Sheffield Tree War.
Speaker 3: You know the city of Sheffield, not intimately, I'm aware of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's in South Yorkshire, named after the River Sheaf, which is the city is built around. So what's Sheffield like, well, Elizabeth, I don't know. I've never been there. I don't know, but.
Speaker 3: From what I've read, beautiful city, never been.
Speaker 2: There, very lush with trees, very green. Prior to the story, all I knew about Sheffield is it's home to my favorite English football club, Sheffield Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Did you do Google Earth like.
Speaker 2: Like you do and just take like a tour of all the streets and just drive.
Speaker 3: Around and like a Google you do your due diligence, my.
Speaker 2: Due diligence of a Google street tour of the city. No, because you'll find out why. Okay, yeah, but I did. I did go look into something I was interested in, which was Sheffield Wednesday. Yeah. You know the blue and striped iconic kit You know them, like the Argentina of England. They used to be Premier League, so you probably would have known them, like you know, back in like the nineties, but they've since been relegated. The second teer Championship League been there for like I don't know forever. In a day anyway, doing research for this one, I found out that my favorite football club started as an offshoot of a cricket club known as the Wednesday Cricket Club.
Speaker 3: Why Wednesday because they played on Wednesdays?
Speaker 2: Well yes, but why Wednesday? The club was found at eighteen twenty.
Speaker 3: Because that's the day that you do Bible study.
Speaker 2: No good guests though, but this cricket club, right, it started by six cats, six dudes, right, not actual cats. I know how your imagination goes. And so they only had to work half days on Wednesdays. Wednesday half day eighteen twenty work style huh wow. Right, So they'd meet up and they'd cricket it up, and thus the Wednesday name now eighteen sixty seven, having now turned pro as cricketers. Really good club apparently, the Wednesday Cricket Club started the Wednesday Football Club. Why did they do this? Because they wanted to stay in shape for cricket over the winter months. Okay, right, so yeah, the Owls become a club boom. Nineteen twenty nine they become the Wednesday Football Club aka Sheffield Wednesday Football Club. The rest is history, joyous Sheffield Wednesday history. But that's not why I'm here today. Because soccer matches, that's typically what we think of. We thought about, Oh, this is where we're gonna find people mixing it up with the police and private security. Actually, no, no, this wasn't Hooligan's in this story putting security guards on blast, Elizabeth. This was tree loving seniors. Yes, So let's get to these trees.
Speaker 3: The Sheffield Dangerous game.
Speaker 2: Oh, they're wild, wild, these humans, especially when they get old and cagy. Now, Sheffield is apparently mad with the green I mean, just stupid, but trees. Like from what I found, sixty one percent of Sheffield is considered a green space.
Speaker 3: Oh that's cool, that's wild.
Speaker 2: I thought those were great. They have like two hundred and fifty parks and gardens they know, Okay. I found also a count four point five million trees. That's how many trees.
Speaker 3: They have in one city.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the human population for comparison, five hundred and fifty thousand people. Wow, it's a lot of trees per person. Trees, right, So the afore mentioned four point five million trees, those weren't enough for the locals. They're like Hey, we want more, or at least we want those four point five. Do not cut me down. And thus they went to war. Some would have said Sheffield had too many trees. Coincidentally, those are the same people with the authority to decide how many of Sheffield's trees should be and would be chopped down. Now, you see, the trees were being blamed for all the potholes in Sheffield. The streets were just littered with them. Apparently they started calling the town Pothole City and they're like, no, we prefer Steel City. Oh no, this is terrible. Pothole City is a terrible nickname. We must do something. So something was done. Elizabeth, the city council met, and then they met, and they met, and they met some more, and they met a bunch right. This took years, but eventually studies were commissioned, reports, and then they met some more more years of planning. Finally a general plan of action is announced and it's funded. So the city council they were proud to announce a new one point two billion pound road improvement project. They called it Streets Ahead or Streets Ahead.
Speaker 3: Wait, billion billion with a B, yeah with a.
Speaker 2: B, not with an N.
Speaker 3: One city.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of roads, bridges, big project. It's a multi year project. This was twenty twelve when they announced this funded project. The streets ahead, right, I mean I will stop that, I.
Speaker 3: Prompted, very Australian.
Speaker 2: Not well whatever it's supposed to be Cockney leading to Australia. Well no, whatever, Fine. The money was earmarked to upgrade the city sidewalks, Elizabeth street lights, bridges, roads, So one point two billion pounds wow. Now to repair the roads. Obviously, this plan called for the mass removal of trees that lined these roads and were causing the potholes the streets. They would split sidewalks and they caused the potholes by lifting up the road, or so the city council believed. They never expected their infrastructure improvement project would actually become the start of a year's long war. No one anticipated that, right, But as far as the city council saw it is all simple. Old trees would be cut down, new trees would be planted. Boom boom boom. What's the big problem? But Elizabeth saplings, baby trees. They are not the same as full grown trees.
Speaker 3: That's true, right, They're smaller versions.
Speaker 2: Just looking at them, you can tell. But in a larger sense full grown trees. We're talking like forty fifty foot tall trees. Right. Oh wow, yeah, these are like some real big daddy.
Speaker 3: Say, not your typical urban tree.
Speaker 2: No, these are like British old school like one hundred year old trees. Right. And now these trees would be home to numerous species like you know, squirrels, birds, bugs, whatnot. Full grown tree obviously it offers shade to the whole environment. There's heat reduction because of that's not a big problem in England, but still holsho. But it helps with rainfall run off and controlling them.
Speaker 3: I thought they I thought they cut down all the big trees to build the ships when England ruled the seas.
Speaker 2: These are only one hundred year old trees, so they were replanted.
Speaker 3: These are the grandchildren of those struges when England ruled the seas.
Speaker 2: Yes, no, actually we're gonna get into that when England was you know, rule Britannia.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So the these trees, I mean like basically they look good, they feel good. Everybody loves trees, right. The trees are undeniably dope, and they said they can also be one hundred years old, so it's to tie to the past. These people are like, oh, this is our connection to when we had empire and what what you know? So the bureaucrats they didn't quite understand this because they were trying to like quantify the value of a tree, right, And it's really hard to satisfy a bureaucrat with things like it just feels good. So they're like, well, we need numbers. So it's to them the problem was we need we need to remove the trees and replace them upgrade great. Right, So the project of mass tree removal, the streets Ahead project, it gets managed by this group called the Highways Team. Right. They're put in charge of this project. As names go, rather unimaginative, the Highways Team. Right, it's also kind of vaguely bureaucratic. I don't really like.
Speaker 3: It's kind of threatening to like a highwayman.
Speaker 2: The Highways Team has decided all your trees must die. Anyway. It kind of sounds like something from Coffka book maybeah Ray Bradberry. I don't know exactly. The Highways Team these trees were a resource to be managed. That's how they viewed it, right. So they're like, Okay, what are we gonna do, how we're going to solve this problem? And how bottom line thinkers that they are mass destruction seem like and I quote the easiest and cheapest option, right, But this is not what the experts and their own report had told them. Because the City of Council Sheffield, they had commissioned to report on the tree population for these four point five million trees, they determined thirty six thousand of these street trees, the ones that actually would you know, be problems for the street or lined the streets, they were the ones that they focused on. Thirty six thousand of the four point five million. Highway teams like, okay, here's what we're gonna do. We're gonna replace them. Now, we need to replace a percentage and they're like, okay, how many a large proportion And so the reports gave an actual hardcore number of this thirty six thousand trees, they said three percent. You should probably replace about three percent. That's how many are dead, dying or diseased. Okay, the rest can be uh, you know, managed, but these need to be immediately felled. That's what the Brits would say, we would say chopped down. But anyway, the trees had to go. So three percent, that's about one thousand and eighty.
Speaker 3: Trees out of four point five million, out of.
Speaker 2: Thirty six thousand of the street trees, of the street trees. So we're down from thirty six thousand trees the.
Speaker 3: Street trees living on the streets.
Speaker 2: We got yea, yeah, these tupac trees, we had one thousand and eighty of them got to go. That's what the report says. Okay, now, because you know, anyways, as this comes down to the problem, it was, as I said originally up top, there was a misunderstanding about a term, a phrase, one phrase. It was properly understood, this whole war to come could have been avoided. So what was this choice phrase? Mature trees aka trees of a certain age. Now you see, Elizabeth. In the original report, the experts they'd use the term mature trees and over mature trees. You're a gardener, You got a green thumb. You know what that means. It means they're of fruit bearing or flowering age. They got child bearing. Now, seventy four percent of the street trees were termed mature or over mature. Yeah, exactly. Now, the city councilors of Sheffield. They misunderstood this. They read this as aged or as like old biddies, and they they wanted some some younger, sexier trees. So they're like, how do we get some saplings on these streets?
Speaker 3: Chris, So as.
Speaker 2: These mature trees were the problem, the city council settled on a plan. That's I told you. They called for a large proportion of the mature trees to be cut down replaced with younger trees for the city's sake. Nowpoort called three percent. City council decided on seventy four percent.
Speaker 3: Oh big difference.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, why, as I said, they wanted younger, sexier trees because these trees of a certain age were just not what they wanted on the streets of Sheffield. They debate this for six years. In the end, none of this matters because the reports experts all it gets ignored. The Highway's team goes out there and decides to beautify the streets. Buzz buzz, let's get the choppers going. Now they'd ignored the most obvious math of trees, Elizabeth. People don't care, oh what a tree is in years, they just love trees and mature trees they love the most. Everyone loves them, haven't they read the giving tree? But a mature tree joined the behold it for animals humans alike. We all love it. And this is England. If anybody's gonna love some old stuff, you would think it would be English people. I mean, am I wrong about this? Okay? So like whatever. So the Sheffield City Council they ignore all of that, and they just said they tell the Highways team go out there, give us some younger, sexier trees, and we need them now. So when the people of the city find out about this plant, what did they do, Elizabeth? They revolted. This was the start of the Great Tree War of Sheffield. Yeah, okay, so I let's simmer down, take all a break, and then we'll dive into this great tree war. Excellent, all right, Elizabeth?
Speaker 3: Where were we of trees?
Speaker 2: That's right, the Great Tree War of Sheffield.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay.
Speaker 2: At this point it's twenty fourteen, word starts to spread in Sheffield. Residents start talking about the whole scale slaughter of their street trees.
Speaker 3: Now I have a quick question, when they were going to replace these with the saplings? Were they going to replace it with the same kind of tree or were they trying to find more street appropriate trees.
Speaker 2: Not California, same trees, just younger ones. Wow, it's give me sexy your younger trees.
Speaker 3: Usually it's like when they have to take out the ones in the street, it's because they planted ones that have more shallow roots. That's up sidewalks to.
Speaker 2: Climate. Yeah, nope, same trees, just younger. Okay, so slaughter I use that term. It may sound dramatic, right, I like dramatic, but I want you to be prepared for one's about to come. So why did she feel go to war or street trees? Now, I don't know about you, but i'd expect people they told you in the UK to love trees. Like they have laws that protect your right to just wander wherever you go totally. You know about this, the Rights of Way Act.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can like cut across someone's field if that's the only way to get from like one open space to another.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the only place is you cannot do this or some crop lands, construction sites, active construction sites, off courses once again, active race tracks once again, active railways, and quarries. So basically anywhere you might get hurt by things that are moving. Other than that you can walk up you have at it. So I thought that was wild. So obviously I thought these people would love trees. City council they did not think that. And they're from there, Elizabeth anyway. Yeah, so mass tree slaughter that they get it started, right, people start to fight back. So one early dynamic in this fight is the city councilor as I said, they assumed their opponents were, you know, Sheffield people that they could manage. They thought they knew these people, and that's one problem. They also thought they knew who they were, so they assumed that their opponents were bored, wealthy white people who were complaining about nothing, right, because apparently Sheffield has a really stark economic divide from what I was reading, the south west side it both some of the greatest wealth in the UK, like some of the twenty percent of the wealth is there, right, it's insane. Conversely, the Northeast is an embarrassment to the Crown apparently, like some of the most economically disadvantaged people in the whole aisle. So from one end to the other, there's this bus line that you can take and the life expectancy on this bus line improvesed by ten years. Wow, just across town.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly, Well that's not so different than right here in Oakland.
Speaker 2: Totally exactly. We would recognize these dynamics.
Speaker 3: And we had a tree battle not too long ago where at this school that you know, there was a guy cutting down a tree who was obviously there from like the you know, school district maintenance people, and the neighbors were just freaking out like how dare you And then they had to have an arborist come out and break up the protest, who was like, the tree is dead on the inside and it's going to fall on children.
Speaker 2: It's a danger to the kids.
Speaker 3: Yeah, listen to the arborous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now they'll get You'll see. There's a debate about that because arborus also can be bought off anyway. Anybody's true, everyone has a price. So basically, this Sheffield that we're describing the southwest side is like the Beverly Hills of England, if you will. It's like a land of old, rich people who spend their time enjoying all the green spaces they have, and they will fight for their equally old ass trees. So but no one expected them to fight back. I don't know why. The Highways team, they're convinced they just need to go in there chop down a large proportion of the mature tree. As a Sheffield The Experts Commission reports suggest once again, as I said, only a small percentage streets ahead decides to heck with it, we're going forward. So trouble's brewing. Right off the bat. Seventeen thousand trees would be removed and cut down. That was a plan. Seventeen thousand of the thirty six thousand. Now, if you do the math, that's forty eight point six percent. Seventeen thousand, five hundred of thirty six thousand is forty eight point six percent, almost half of the tree they plan on cutting down. Original number seventy four percent gets down to about fifty percent. They're like, oh that's reasonable, right, Yeah, not reasonable enough. So this is also when dogma and a bunker mentality entered the chat the Highways team. They suggest that they need to fast track the tree removals before anyone gets an idea and they can get a resistance organized. So they plan to cut down five thousand, five hundred trees right off the bat. Just get out there and get the choppers go. And now the plan there's a estimate they'll take five years overall. In the city council, they're please just punge to hear them getting right into it. So they're like, yeah, get going, guys, and the highway teams and already the resistance is organizing, though faster than anyone.
Speaker 3: Expects, and there's a one to one replacement on these trees. Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So in twenty fifteen, the people of Sheffield they take to the long tradition of what we call direct action. Much like a tree. It started with just a small seed, but one loaded with potential. Elizabeth, because it started a place called neither Edge or nether Edge, like nether Lands or you're neither regions, you're nether Yeah, Like I had to guess that's the town, like little village name. I guess inside there's like villages inside of villages because like you know, they're in South Yorkshire. And then inside of Sheffield is this place called nether Edge I assume is a neighborhood. Yeah, but it may have been a village that just got consumed. I don't know. Yeah, Anyway, I love these British like town and village names. I was looking around that you've lived there. Do you have any favorites from your time abroad? Like, for example, the ones I liked there was Devil's Lap Full in Northumberland.
Speaker 3: Oh, Devil's Lap a town name, Yeah, I like. I like the Gorbels and Glass the Goblet. Neighborhood name you always.
Speaker 2: Hear about, like Stratford upon Avon, where Shakespeare's from. But then I found fudge Pack upon Humber.
Speaker 3: Stop it fudge pack.
Speaker 2: Fudge pack upon like fudge pack all one word upon Humber. There's also Hornet. Does that name like Horny Old Road in Malvern Wells? Or the Blind Fiddler and Cornwall these are town names apparently. My last one is flesh Shank, Northumberland. I'm from flesh Shank.
Speaker 3: I still go wow, I'm still processing.
Speaker 2: So let them all around in your anyway. Back to the Great Tree War of Sheffield. A dozen locals they band together up and they start trying to save the trees. They the people unite. Elizabeth and these people they know these trees. I mean, I mean, I don't mean personally, but they for some it's it's possessive, it's personal. They were there for these trees. They're tree defenders. Now this group of doesn't. They're elders, mind you, elders with money and time. They go out and confront the tree surgeon hire to remove the trees of a certain age. Now when their demands that the chainsaws fall silent or ignore, the elders took it to the next level. We got time, we got money. So they put first their bodies in harms. Way. Yeah, they went down and they stood under the tree so that no work could be done. They'd be like, oh, you'll hit us with falling wood. Right, So I thought that you would like this because like Mario Savia immediately thought of him, like and him on the steps of Sprow hall Uc Berkeley there at sixty four, leading like a sit in protest. Yeah, you know the speech, can I do it?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Please? All right? And that brings me to the second mode of civil disobedience. There is a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart that you can't take part, You can't even passively take part. And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop, and you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all.
Speaker 3: Love beautiful, right.
Speaker 2: So these old bricks start pulling full Mario Savia on these tree surgeons, and they're laying their bodies down on their bron I didn't see any footage of them channing themselves, but they did everything they could. I mean, I'm sure they did do like that cuffing action you know where.
Speaker 3: You put the right They sat under there while they were cutting and they said, hell, help somebody.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm down here. Please No. So this human spirit of defiance he gets expressed a direct action, right, these rich elders of south west Sheffield called upon to save the mature trees, putting their bodies upon the gears, the wheels, right, the tree surgeons who are just there, they're just there to do their jobs. They're like, well, this is not what I signed up for, right, Like God, no, you feel right now, all right? But they were so real, Elizabeth, They were so real and they were so ready to fight. So but not on just the like we're gonna put down our bodies. They also put their money on the line. They went out and commissioned to their own report. Oh yes, the local tree defender campaigns. They hire this team of experts. They drop an independent report to convince the city council in their own language of paperwork and reports. Right, they know how this stuff works. They're rich, so they're like, like, look the independent report. It points out the storm drainage benefits of trees and air quality improvements and the and these are like hard to measure intangibles, but they tried to convey them as economic value of the trees. Right, These rich folks they speak in city councils, they're like, oh, yes they have rather than like you know, a tax to be cut or better yet like some you know, tax free way to improve the society. They look with these trees are an economic boon, right, city of council. They listen and then they're like, no, they just blow them off, right, So back to action, you don't wally computer says no. So the city council wouldn't listen to paperwork reports, and they did listen to protests and fiery shouting voices that came next in public places, and it all started amiably, right. They're old Brits, as I said, right, Originally they were quite friendly with the tree surgeons that they would find. They would of course lay down on the ground, but they would also like out there and offer them a spot of tea. You know. It was all very cordial, open and communicative. And then they only take on the democratic engagement path, right because they started they tried to do things according to the mechanisms of their culture. They tried to use the channels of communication they should. They wrote letters to the City Council, they filed freedom of information X. But the City Council was bogged down by so many letters and so many freedom of information X. And also they had the whole problem with the years of austerity. They no longer had the staff to deal with all these requests. So it becomes a paperwork war and they get ground down. Right. So now next action teams formed action teams Elizabeth men and women. They put words to down, they put their pens down, and they picked up their arms and defended the trees. Entered Dave Dilner, he formed the Sheffield Tree Action Group aka stag Kil there he's one of those old British cats who fought in the war, pick whatever war you want. Being a military man, he still treated yeah, exactly, treated everything like part of the war effort. Right. So Dave Dilaner, he lives in that well to do southwest, but he lives near the heavy equipment depot that the arborous and tree surgeons are launching out of each morning. So he goes down there every morning and he wakes up and he steps on a step ladder and with his binoculars, his field goggles, he peers in and he watches the tree surgeons leaving. Then he gets on his action group chat, his WhatsApp group chat, and he starts giving out from his surveillance outpost updates. Right, Yes, Chip and barrio wagon heading leaving depot now heading southwest. Right, and somebody else will get on the later. We're on a Dave, And then they would all go and they would they report where they had sightings until they could triangulate where the tree surgeons would stop to work. Then they would all descend there. So he would start the like sightings and the rest would say, oh, yeah, here it is.
Speaker 3: If he's just like watching him leave the depot, why doesn't he hop in a car and drive behind them.
Speaker 2: He's watching all of them. There's a kings going out, this one's going that way, this this way, this one's you know, they got two. They've got a wood chipper and a you know, cherry picker truck.
Speaker 3: Or whatever it's. You know, I have flawed that. But it's also like he took the easy job.
Speaker 2: You gotta have a spotter instead. Tell me he's like basically a field officer. What are you gonna do? All right, So the action group, as they said, they leap into action. They start confronting tree surgeons standing under the trees are supposed to be cut down. The arborous would then have to pack up for the day, and those are the days called, or they'd have to demand that police show up and remove the protesters. It becomes like a whole deal, right, So this war had not yet become violent. This was still early in the autumn of twenty sixteen, but the signs of violence to come they were already there, Elizabeth. They were in there. If you knew what to look for. The tree surgeon certainly felt it, of course they did. They were there on the front lines. They didn't want to be, but they were there on the front line. So this company, I should tell them, they're called amy ame E y Okay. They'd been contracted by the streets Ahead program. The streets Ahead they worked for the Highways team in the City Council, right, So they asked their bosses if they consider some repairs that would minimize the number of trees that they needed to remove. The tree surgeons were saying, Hey, here's the thought. What if we don't do what we do for a living and instead you paid us to I don't know, do what the people want that would fix things right, And so the tree surgeons they're asking not to do their own jobs. And the fat of course doesn't fly with the city council. They're like, we paid you to cut down trees, cut down trees. Streets Ahead and the Highways team they felt that the protesters were out of touch and not representative of quote, the real residents of Sheffield. So they were just a small, loud minority and they should ignore them and they should get back to cutting down trees.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: So there's one senior official from the Highways team. He will come out in the story numerous times. His name is Paul Billington. Here was a real piece of work, this Billington. He spearheaded what would become the bunker mentality that would take hold. He had that whole classic us against them. So wait, what was his name? Do you say? Buzz Killington? Buzz Killington? Producer Dave Great to call Buzz Killington, my man, Buzz Killington. He decides we need to have an early morning raid, something to break the morale the Tree Defenders also apparently Buzz Killington's. He wanted them to have the police assist them, to really let them know they had the state beyond their side. So an in house lawyer for the Streets Ahead project he gets word of this proposed so this raid that's designed to break the hearts and the will of the Tree Defenders, and he's like, well, what's my advice? Well, personally, I don't believe what is being proposed could in any way be considered reasonable. Right, So that was him, but it wasn't just him. A communications director also in house had a similar reaction when he heard about this planned morning raid to break the hearts and minds. He said, my professional view is that this is crackers.
Speaker 3: Oh he's a technical term, but rather.
Speaker 2: Than just tell you about all this, Lilizids, I'd like you to close your eyes as a picture. It's four thirty am on November seventeenth, twenty sixteen. You are standing outside of a supermarket near Rustling's Road. You are a housecat, a British tabbyer. You're one who's escaped the boredom of domestic life for some of the danger of Sheffield streets in the small hours of the morning. But you found no mice, no early birds, no small mammals to hunt, so you've wandered over to the supermarket. You're currently in an alley that runs beyond the store, checking the milk bottles, hoping to find some milk that's just passed its expiry date. You tip over one bottle, no milk spills out. That's when you hear it sound of heavy equipment. You cat prants over to see what all the noise is about. You climb up a chain lake fence and hop onto the stone rooftop of the store. As you draw near to the edge, you spy a cordon of cups. They're shutting down both ends of a quiet, leafy, well treed street. The cops are setting up a safety zone for tree surgeons from amy. This is a well coordinated early morning ray. The target eight mature trees. You walk along the length of the roof to get a better view. From the corner, you can see the police pounding on front doors. When the doors swing open, the bobbies and form the residence. They must move their cars. It's five am now at this point. At the same time, there's a chorus of chainsaws starting to sing delight. You hate all the noise that the soap there is. The tree surgeons are going at it with a martial energy. They strike early, they strike hard. They come in with cherry picker trucks, heavy sauce. The terrible buzzing and tearing of tree flesh. It friends the quiet of the early morning. If you residents are bumbling around on the sidewalk beneath you, here and there, a cars starts to life and then drives off as the police have struck them where to go. You scratch at the gravel of the rooftop bricks, Your tail flicks at the receiving darkness. This morning is taking hold. You hear a new commotion. A young man and his two comrades, two women in their seventies charge the police guard in safety zone. The bobbies push back against them as the tree defenders try to position themselves beneath the tree surgeons. You jump across a high space above the action and land on a tree limb above the tree slated for the chop. You prance along the rough barked limb and walk up to the tree surgeon, armed with his heavy industrial chainsaw. Standing in the cherry picker box twenty feet above the fray. You stare into the eyes of the tree surgeon. He stares back at you. You are disgusting with what he's doing, but for your own reasons, that's a kay. He looks back at you. The gilt crows in his eyes. Beneath you, the chopped up chunks of seven mature trees. The tree leaves rustle from a small breeze. Beneath you can hear the shouting of the tree defenders and the cops fighting back. They're going at it somehow, the noise all the way slightly as you lock eyes with the tree surgeon. Then you see it. The single tear runs down his cheek. Handcuffs get slapped onto the tree defender's wrist. Cops toss them in the back of a police lordy and off they go to be booked at the closest jail. You run down the trunk of the tree and set up to find some breakfast or maybe some danger. You cat prance through the carnage, the police tape and the fallen bodies of the trees. Elizabeth, can you imagine that early morning scene?
Speaker 3: Oh my heartbreaking, terrible.
Speaker 2: But this morning raid it failed spectacularly because it led to a rush of news media images. Imagine old people lying down on the ground. Oh yeah, to protect these trees, next to the brutality of the saw tooth and the cold metal of the blade. Right, big savage chunks of tree sawdust piled like puled blood. It looked bad in the morning papers. But if you can believe it, this has been the idea all along. This is what they wanted.
Speaker 3: Well, if you have to do something in that sneaky way, if I'm going to do it at five in the morning, then before everyone's awake, you know you're doing something wrong totally. Plus, I would imagine that five am is inside of quiet. Yeah, you can't start sawing at five in the morning.
Speaker 2: Here, it's eight am. We couldn't turn on power tools.
Speaker 3: Before a right exactly.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, they ignored all of that, and they said, we have a bigger impulse to answer to now, if you can believe it. As I said, this had been their idea. They wanted these graphic images, but the message they sent was too strong. It was too graphic. Right. A memo would surface later on which confirmed the city Council and the Highways Team's cynical view on how to best respond to their protesters and I quote removing the trees on Rustling's Road remove a symbol of the tree campaign instead their morning rate. It became a symbol for the tree exactly. Raid was as I said, it was never about the health of the trees or even about the solving the ostensible problem. Remember this all started with fixing the unsafe streets right right now. The police assisted raid purely an emotional message composed in the symbolic language of a fell tree, chopped up section left, lying in the streets ready for the wood shopper, right, an old lady on the ground next to it in an agony face. Right. This image was meant to break the spirits of the tree defenders. Instead galvanizes people country the UK is like, what is going on in Sheffield? Right, So they'd moved beyond the borders of southwest Sheffield. Now suddenly it was no longer rich people trying to save their quiet, leafy shaded streets. Now it was the people fighting for the green future of Britain. Yeah, yeah, Elizabeth entered the Flying Squad. So we'll take a little break because I just wanted to tease you with your flying and it's not the one you think it is, all right, Elizabeth.
Speaker 3: Oka before we went to b Yes, flying squad, Yes.
Speaker 2: Your guys, your girls, the squad, But it's not that Flying Squad. This was a group of protesters who called their new action group the Flying Squad. They took it back from the police. Why because they knew a good name. When they heard it. They're like, you guys aren't using it right, We'll take that. So the Flying Squad was about thirty people deep and they were ready to fly to danger, thus the name. They were spotters, fast responders. They chased tree surgeons to the job sites and then they stood beneath the trees like everybody else to stop the work. But they were unafraid to confront tree surgeons or the police. Soon enough, these tree surgeons from Amy, right, they feel they have to protect themselves from all these bad as. They called them chipper chasers. So some of these these tree surgeons would compare it the streets were turning into the wild West. They did not feel safe in these streets. They're just now they've got these newly drafted soldiers in the fight because it's gone nationals. So now people are flooding in from other cities and towns, and the fight becomes this group, this fighting force I few will become so effective that in June twenty seventeen, in just one month, the tree shoppers, they were scheduled to cut down four hundred and seventy two trees. You know how many times they had to stop? Three hundred and twenty nine times. Flying Squad was on it. One tree surgeon from Amy, he said, of the protesters, it's incredibly frustrating. I wanted to do the job I was paid to do, not to be the face of a controversial policy. I had the colleagues who didn't agree with what the council was doing, who were almost believed if the protesters turned up for me. I just felt caught in the middle and started to dread getting up in the morning. I was eventually signed off for stress. He had to leave his job. So and we still haven't gotten to the worst of the war. So yeah, summer twenty seventeen, it gets hot. Sheffield City Council receives a final report from the commissioned independent tree Panel, the one the.
Speaker 3: Rich real first pay, Oh, okay, what does it suggest don't cut down trees?
Speaker 2: Now you know it? Now the City Council they had posed this question always as a debate of do you want trees or smooth roads? Well, the Action Group STAG and they had always said, that's a false debate. We can have both. Well, the tree panel, the independent panel, they said, that's exactly correct. You can totally have smooth roads and trees. So they said, like, you know, I understand you want to do the mass removal of trees, but that's not necessary really the absolute only way to do this. So the City Council's decision to continue chopping down trees because they decided, you know what, that's a great report and no we're not doing that.
Speaker 3: So and again, were they going to replace these with saplings or were they just.
Speaker 2: Gonna they're taking trees out, pulling them out of the earth, putting in saplings. Okay, and you're really small like.
Speaker 3: So then they were supposed to fix the roads at the same time, and.
Speaker 2: They thought that by doing that, the root structure would no longer keep growing and lifting the roads, so then they can get a handle of the road row exactly. But it turns out it was a little more complicated because at this point, basically the city council says, we don't care about all this, like, oh, we shouldn't cut down trees. We're cutting down trees, So anybody says don't cut down trees, they're wrong. Basically, at this point, they'd also forsaken the moral high ground because they're just going with policy. They're not listening to anybody. So this guarantees that violence will now be the next response because they're not listening anymore. They're ignoring experts, they're ignoring the process, they won't talk to anyone. The people are desperate, The people are willing to put their own bodies in danger. What's next, They're gonna put your body in danger. So this is when the authorities opt to pursue a policy that normally is reserved for gang members in southern California, they sought an injunction against the protesters, making it illegal for them to gather and oppose the tree fellings in the mass removal. The new injunctions raimed at specifically sixteen of the lead protesters. They were all given letters that told them that they would face prison time, they'd be financially liable for delays, court costs. It's estimated to run into the hundreds of thousands of pounds, as obviously was meant to be a scare tactic. Interestingly, the tree surgeons from Amy, who would be essentially protected by this injunction, they opposed it. They're like, don't do this, this is dumb. Instead, they offered to carry the costs themselves of finding alternative solutions to fix the streets without removing trees. They're now willing to become street fixers. The Highways team they hear about this plan to concede to the protesters, and they take a hard line stance. So enter the sunken cost fallacy. Now it's the user to them bunker mentality and the sunken cost fallacy teaming up the executive buzz Killington or the Billington He writes an email that's speaks directly to this when he says, and I quote, given we spent one hundred and fifty thousand pounds to get this far, we don't really have a choice. Oh yeah, okay, we spent that much. Gotta go through with.
Speaker 3: It, even though these guys are saying they'll fit the bill for this exactly, so it isn't.
Speaker 2: Really about the money, since they've nixed Amy's offer to save the city council money by paying for their own costs. But this point, Billington and the others from the highway team, they're loaded for Bear Elizabeth. They're going up for a hunt. So they want the war. They want Amy and the Tree Surgeons to understand what side they are on. Billington rights to Amy and his Tree Surgeons on November sixth, twenty seventeen. You are losing the battle. The council is very frustrated at the current policy of turn up and pack up. So what do they do. They were so incensive they start not paying Amy. They withheld two point five million pounds of the promised contract. They're like the over five month period, they're just not paying them. They're like, unless you start doing stuff, we're not gonna pay you. And they keep complaining and saying like it's because you're not you turn up and pack up. Yeah, but they can't do anything, so they're now putting the pressure on them their own like associates. Yeah yeah, anyway, seeing which way the wind blow. That same November, Amy hired private security to protect their tree surgeons from the anger and the ire of the protesters, and they they are given the right to manhandle the protesters because in accords with the injunction, this works, you have to get out of the way of the tree removal. So at this point the Great Tree War becomes an endurance fight who could outlast the other. Amy and his tree surgeons also begin to track and document all the protesters. So now the protesters start donning masks, disguises, they adopt out rageous accents. They're speaking in Glasswegian accents for no reason. It's just amazing, right. So this is also when the bunnies, the geckos, and the squirrels enter the picture. Well, you may be wondering, did I just have like a snow white moment? What do you mean? The bunny, the geckos, so that the protesters they self sorted into three animal forms bunnies, geckos, and squirrels. Elizabeth, see the bunnies, they they're bounders, so they are responsible for hopping and bounding over the garden walls and all the erected metal barriers, and then they would help to keep the protesters away from the safe zones beneath the trees is to be cut down. So they top over these barriers and then go hey and they hop a hug up against the trees. That's the bunnies. The geckos, they would thrust themselves against walls, you know, like how they stick to a wall, and they would make it to the barrier couldn't be closed and other people could prush through or whatever. That's the goes. Then we have the squirrels, as you can might imagine, they would bravely climb the trees and perch in the branches, making it impossible to cut the tree down. They were the bravest of the freedom fighters in the green tree. Yeah. So their success has been set up the stage for the violence to come, because now we're getting actual engagement and tactics and strategies and groups and you got commandos. So this leads to the Battle of Meares Brook Park Road January fifteen, twenty eighteen. The city Council has been putting pressure on Amy to stand tall right, to do the right thing, and to do this, they've authorized the use of reasonable force, so the private security are now basically unofficially deputized by the city council to rough up the protesters. This means they can grab the bunnies and toss them out of the safe zones. They can they can pull geckos off the wall. They can grab squirrels out of the tree, which is not gonna go good right. This is also they don't have to worry about legal consequence. They're like, we got you, you just rough them up. This all comes to a head in the Battle of Mirrors, Brook Park Road. The crowd that day big, angry, loud, raucous. They were energized by recent successes. The private security equally energize conflicts guaranteed. One bunny, an older married woman in her sixties, hopped over a barricade entered the safe zone. She's grabbed by private security. In response, she flops on the ground right. Her husband sees this, but he only sees his wife on the ground. He misses that she throw us up on the ground, and he just sees the menacing private security or like you know, standing over her like a husband. He charges the barricade, knocks it down, and then twenty other protesters like basically poured like like you know, sheep through a gate with him. They all rush in there. Now the elder husband gets to his wife's side. He helps her up to her feet, but they have to pretend not to know each other, because if they know each other and their husband and wife will be identified and then the injunction will put them in jail. So they got on the go. Are you all right, whoever you are? So they're having this like fake exactly. It's a really sweet anyway. News media is there on hand. They're snapping photos of this confrontation. They're seeing all this. The photos are amazing, the elders on the ground, the menacing boots of private security above them, the UK, the whole country, the United Kingdom. Rather, they are outraged as this story becomes national news. Now it's just green Britain and they're beating up the elders. This is terrible. Sheffield City Council, the Highways team, they have to lick their wounds and regroup for the next front in the ongoing tree war. Right, so the tree surgeons at Amy, they announced that they plan to pause the tree removals. They say, Okay, we're gonna just pause and like, let's think about this for a month. The Highways team they go, no, we're not doing that. I'm thinking about anything. So the executive of Old Buzz Killington, he sends an email to the in house council, a lawyer for the Streets Ahead program, going like what are we gonna do about this subject line? Please print and then delete.
Speaker 3: Oh to a lawyer.
Speaker 2: He sent to a lawyer.
Speaker 3: You know, like the lawyer gets it and just you.
Speaker 2: Can't do this to me. So in email Killington, No Buzz Killington, he recommended they try a new approach. He recommended that they ring the trees, as in ring barking. You know, this is where you basically take out a big gouge in the tree all the way around and interrupts the flow of the nutrients up and down the bark or inside the bark basically, so the tree just dies. It's basically it's like cutting its throat. So he puts in his email quote the tree is killed and dies over a number of months, it would move all trees into the dying category. It means that stag can no longer claim that they were defending healthy trees. The in House Council Elizabeth ruled this out as an extreme taxic. Yeah. Yeah, like we can't start killing no anyway. So we're in February. Now we have claims of sabotage on the part of the protesters. Allegedly an elderly couple they offered some of the tree surgeons some hot tea, and the tea was loaded with laxatives, so the tree surgeons would have to rushing to the porta potty that couldn't work. Now the elderly couple says this is not true.
Speaker 3: I don't know if this just can't handle their teeth.
Speaker 2: They're just crappy on their own. I don't know. They're blaming us. Now the case of the crappy tea becomes another national news story. So now they're just looking silly, they're looking mean. They're not looking good in any of these news stories. At the same time, violence is becoming more common, so they're looking brutish and laughable security guard has his wrist broken. Age protesters are being sent to the hospital for medical treatment. By March twenty eighteen, Shiftfield's head of communication writes another email, put simply, there is no good picture of older residents being arrested. There is no good way to photograph a tree lying in the street. He's like, we are losing the great war. We are losing the public, we are losing the information war.
Speaker 3: The optics they're terrible.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the optics are gone. They lost those. So the tree surgeons they informed the city Council they will no longer be able to quote keep calm and carry on. They're same for the South Yorkshire Police. They're like, look, we're bailing on your war. It's draining our resources. This is ridiculous. The Forestry Commission of the Nation opens an investigation determined if the tree removals even legal or not. So. Now this is the end of March. The tree surgeons at Amy they announced they would pause all tree removals. At this point, five thousand, six hundred trees have been chopped down. That was fifteen percent of the total. That's five times more than the three percent that was recommended anyway, the Great Tree War is now over. Time to win the peace, Elizabeth. In May there were local elections. The City Council suffered stunning losses. Oh new leadership put new people in charge of the Streets Ahead program. They open up peace talks with the Tree defenders. Their first meeting takes place in September. Months later, the peace talks require a mediator because things are still so hot. The mediator is the Bishop of Sheffield. Stop it, yeah, Son. More months passes did peace talks go on and on. By December twenty eighteen, the two groups released a joint statement. Going forward, the city Council would work with residents to create a reasonable solution for the remaining trees. The next year, a new team of experts they convene. They select twelve trees at random, and they inspect them. And the team finds that the streets could be repaired without removing any of the trees. You See, they'd always assume that the trees were the problem and it was the roots, but no one had actually tested that theory. Oh, when they did check it, when someone actually did look, the problem was the streets themselves, because prior repairs had always just poured more asphalt on top of a broken asphalt, and then more asphalts. Some of the areas they checked were a foot thick the road surface.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the issue.
Speaker 2: So after inspecting the twelve trees, they found that many times not only did the trees not need to be cut down, but the repairs could be performed the same day as the inspection. Oh, the years of bitter conflict, violence, threats of prison time could have all been avoided if the city council had considered the actual task in hand, instead of falling into their our side, your side, our side, and then weird language problems like mature trees. I don't know about it, some younger trees. So Elizabeth, what's a ridiculous takeaway here?
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness. You know, I'm thinking about it, and it's like I understand obviously, you know, like I love plants and trees.
Speaker 2: And they occasionally do need to be taken out.
Speaker 3: They do, And I think that's sometimes you get, you know, a little bit too enamored of the notion of saving everything and it can't be saved. You know, some things grow better after being cut back severely.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: The whole crape myrtle, crape murder thing. But in terms of if you're removing these trees, you know, I'm feeling like you don't want them to take out mature trees that are in their prime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're fruiting fire, so.
Speaker 3: You have to be okay with you know, they don't live forever, sure, and I think a lot of people lose sight of that, and particularly if they're going to replace them. You know, that's a huge thing. They're not just paving everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they think think of the effect of losing all that the leafy, shady stret You can take all the trees down on a street, not just one or two and you're replacing those, but all eight on one side of the all those houses outside of the street, they have a much different experience impact and they can't just pick up their helme and move. So the trees become part of their environment and they saw them as their trees.
Speaker 3: And you do need it for you know, pollution abatement and just you know, just chealthy air quality and everything. Yeah, so you.
Speaker 2: Can see both sides. But I can do it all what it look at you, Well, the deal, Elizabeth, is this for me? I thought it was just basic because I pointed out ridiculous that it all came down to the word mature trees. And then yeah, the whole our side, my side, like instead of getting down And I always point this out whenever I'm trying to have an argument with somebody, is what are we actually fighting about? And what how do we get to a win? Like how do we want there to be? Like what is the result? And then if we can get to that, we can figure out what the obstacle is. And sometimes it's not so much about my side your side, but what do we both have to do to get there? And then you don't think of it as compromised. As I've told you. I try to stand shoulder to shoulder somebody and we both look at the problem as opposed to across the table where it seems like only one side of the table can win. That's all they had to do is just look at the problem standing shoulder to shoulder, and boom done. They would have seen like, oh, it's the roads.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and when we live in a time of us in them.
Speaker 2: And exactly speaks to our times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just pre COVID.
Speaker 2: That's the only big difference Anyway, there you go. That's what I got for you. I'm telling you shed light, good shob. You can find us online Ridiculous Crime, Twitter, Instagram, Uh yeah, we also have website ridictascrime dot com and if we like to talkbacks on the iHeart app, so download that lead talkback or send us an email at ridiculous Crime at gmail dot com. As always started with Dear elizad Zaren is so cool. Now. Anyway, there you go. That's all we got, catch you next crime. Ridiculous Crime is hosted by Elizabeth Dutton and Zaron Burnett's produced and edited by our Man in Flesh, Shank Northumberlin, Dave Kusti. Research is by Marissa Trees, are Life Brown and Andrea Have they never read the Giving Tree Song? Sharpened Her? Our theme song is by Thomas the Tree Doctor Lee and Travis Captain of the Flying Squad Dutton. The host wardrobe provided by by five hundred executive producers are Ben I got the chopper, You get the copper Bowlin and Noel let me add him Brown.
Speaker 3: M hmm.
Speaker 2: Bridicrious Crime say it one more time, Budiqueous Crime.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio. Four more podcasts from iHeartRadio. Visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.