Speaker 1: Have long, deep history with this critical voice and this shame, and I really think it can kill you.
Speaker 2: Man. What part of you still feels like it doesn't belong.
Speaker 1: Different parts of me in every place that I go to. If you felt totally comfortable everywhere you went, and you're probably not in.
Speaker 2: The right place. What is Riz Ahmed's dream?
Speaker 1: External markers of achievement, the award, the round of applause, They don't nourish you on a soul level. And the thing that I'm seeking now is a sense of flow at that moment when you forget yourself.
Speaker 2: Hey, everyone, welcome back to on purpose, the place you come to become the happier, healthier and more healed. Today's guest to someone I've been wanting to have in this seat for god knows how many years. I'm joined by the one the only, Riz Armored Academy Award winning actor, writer, producer and artist, known for Sound of Metal, Rogue One, and The Night of and for bringing deeply human stories to life. Riz is currently starring in Bait. If you haven't seen it, make sure you do. A series exploring identity and the tension between who we are and how we're seen. His reimagined film Hamlet and Digger, his new film coming later this year. Please welcome to On Purpose, Riz Ahmed Riz. Honestly, whether it was Post nine to eleven Blues, whether it was Four Lions, We've been with you from the start. I've been cheering so much. I am a huge fan of how you put yourself out there, the conversations you have, your multidisciplinary art form, and honestly, I've been waiting for this moment. I feel like, for like god, at least seven years since I launched the show.
Speaker 1: Likewise, Jay, because I'm watching you and I've just been rooting for you from the beginning. And you know, we were just saying this before the camera started rolling. We have so many people in common in the work world but also in the personal world because we grew up not too far away from each other in kind of overlapping worlds as well. So seeing you doing your thing, blazing a trail is just super inspiring. So Likewise, man, I've been itching to get in here and yeah, talk to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely absolutely, I was thinking about it, and I want to vouch for this because I like doing this when I've got someone on the show and I've got a memory that stands out to me, and it was probably around five years ago. I think it was you'd been nominated for an Oscar. We had this South Asian Oscars evening in La and you were at the party. It was probably the only time I've actually been in the room with you. It was me, you and we were talking to Bella Bella Bajari, who's chief content officer Netflix, dear friend, and you said to Bella you were like, give this guy a show man, Like you were like you were vouching for me even back then, like give him a show. Beller like, what are you doing? And I was like this is I was like, this is so nice. I'll take it. Like you're a man at the moment, you're nominated for the Oscar and you're trying to get me a show and now we've got three shows at Netflix. Amazing. You know, AMAZ feel like you planted a very important say I want to give your flowers and give you treadit for that man.
Speaker 1: For me, the reason I was rooting for you was because of not just what you have to say, because of course what you say is is so rooted in this ancient tradition.
Speaker 2: It's how you say it.
Speaker 1: It's how approachable it is, It's how human it feels, it's how relatable it felt, just even selfishly on the personal level, when I hear you speak, when I see the way that you're relating to people or making these things that can sometimes feel very abstract or kind of elusive ideas, esoteric ideas, and bring them into the every day, bring them into our daily lives.
Speaker 2: It makes me feel less stupid, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: It makes me like okay, yeah, okay, yeah, all right, I can I understand that. I get to grips with that. And I'm certainly one of those people who for a long time thought, oh, what's this meditation stuff?
Speaker 2: What is this?
Speaker 1: This is kind of a bit airy fairy, And it actually became such a big part of my life for many years and changed my life in so many different ways. It's really because of people like you making it relatable, making it human. So yeah, on a personal level, I was like, I need more Jay Shae in my life.
Speaker 2: Kind man, thank you. That means the world. It's an incredible moment for you. I feel like You're everywhere in a good way. I feel like Bait has just pierced through the zeitgeist and the culture. I mean, ninety five percent on rotten tomatoes. Unbelievable. That is ridiculous to even think about you and like to see the kind of conversations it started. It's not just oh my god, you should watch this show. It's really good. It started conversations about identity, about shame, about mental health, about in a critic, about guilt, about all these things. And you see it where wherever I go on my feed, whether it's TikTok or Instagram, either it's you or someone talking about the show. How does it feel to put yourself out there in such a vulnerable way because this story has so much of a correlation with your reality. How does it feel to put yourself out there almost not wanting validation, and then to be validated for it. It's really interesting, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Because the whole show is about validation seeking and how it can lead us down a really dangerous path. Is very natural, is very human with social animals to want that connection, want that praise, affirmation to be seen. But if you are purely dependent on that external validation and you're not giving your self that self love, you can become completely lost, and that's what the show is about. And the show is really inspired by my own journey with that. You know, I've been on that journey. I continue to go on that journey. I haven't fixed it. I haven't solved the equation. It's a constant battle, you know, trying to find that self love and not just be on a treadmill looking for it from other places. So the show is about that and about trying to get past validation. So in a weird way, when people are validating the show, I'm like, this is a trap.
Speaker 2: You know. It's interesting.
Speaker 1: I was saying something that this is someone the other day, which is I've never been great at receiving praise. Just now, when you were saying all these nice things about me, I was actually saying, okay, way with Jaysh. I'm gonna open my heart, try and be present and receive receive the good energy. But something in me, and I'm sure you've come up against this with all kinds of people. I don't know how you deal with it yourself. Even something about receiving praise something makes me feel uncomfortable. And so I'm trying to find that balance of not being desperate and hungry for it. You know, you can't live off a diet of this candy, of these dopamine hits. So people's pray but also just receive it and avoid it. I can sometimes swing between those extremes.
Speaker 2: You know. This on the one hand is.
Speaker 1: Googling yourself late at night, and on the other hand, it's like going like, nah, no, there's nothing is rubbish, And so I'm just trying to find that healthy middle ground, because the show's about that in a way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I find that powerful because I feel like it's almost like my friend said this to me the other day and I really liked it. It's this idea of like too tight too loose, Like sometimes you're holding yourself too tightly, like everything matters and everything's important, yes, And then sometimes you don't hold yourself tightly at all. It's too loose and you're like, oh, nothing matters, No, it doesn't matter what anyone else says about me. And it's like, if you think about it, you're always trying to oscillate between too tight too loose, and you're trying to find that perfect balance of like how do I hold myself in a way I don't suffocate myself or stra but how do I hold myself in a way that I don't also just let myself go where nothing is important or valuable. And I was thinking about it because in the show we get so many of these flashbacks into Shah's childhood, his teenagers. I've seen the show. I loved it, and I have been talking about it with colleagues and friends and people who have all had interesting reflections on it, both people from South Asian backgrounds and people from completely not. And that's what I love about the show is that it starts really fascinating dialogues beyond culture and gender and race. But one of the things that stood out I wanted to ask you is what's a childhood memory that you have that you would say defines who you are today.
Speaker 1: When I was about eight years old, me and my brother got put up against the wall by a couple of skinheads. Right for people outside of the British context, they like it was like a racist movement basically. Then they put a knife to my brother's throat. I remember being eight years old looking up at him. He was kind of defending me, and it was just this kind of shocking, reallyzation that oh I'm different. I'm different in a way that means that I could be in danger and feeling other than that way. Maybe more vigilant made me more aware of my identity In many ways. It set me on a lifelong journey of trying to like square the circle of my identity. In some periods of time, I've tried to code switch a lot. If I've gone to a predominantly why upper class school, which I did a code switch in that way, then I'd hang out of my neighborhood. I'd code switch another way. And I think that journey has defined me. I think that's how why I started acting was kind of code switching from one social environment to another. It's a kind of performance right, And where I'm at now, and really what the show Bait is also trying to do and what it's about, it's about a search for identity. So I'm trying to bring all those different sides of me together, not edit and censor myself when I walk into a room. I did this monologue for snl UK recently and I was working with the writers on it, and it was about identity crisis, and I was like, I'm having an identity crisis. The uk is everyone's having an idy We're all trying to work out who we are. And I said, look, that's why I stand like a mix between Stormzy and Rishie Sunak and just trying to embrace that, be playful about that confusion. I think that moment of realizing my difference and navigating identity was a big one. The other one's a lot more of a playful memory. Every time there was a community gathering at some point, the Aunties would be high on Coca Cola and Fanta and they would say, bring Gorlu down. Gorlu was my name in the community. No Gorlu means round though, yeah, little spherical round object. Don't Apparently my brother named me Gorlu. I had a round it grown er, don't ask bring Gulu down. It's time and I would perform and I would do Michael Jackson dancing and I would do like just right and it honestly they basically I'd be smashed off coca cola as like a six year old, just like just freaking out, just throwing my limbs. I just remember these rows of Aunties just sat there clapping and just feel like this is the best feeling ever. I'm just getting to express these quite wild animal movements. I mean, it did look nothing like how dancing should look. I'll just basically freak out in this really expressive way and be a firmed for it.
Speaker 2: Quite strange. But I don't know if anyone else can relate to that, if any other kids out there were brought down to dance for the anties. But I say the mixture of those two things, you know, self expression and navigating identity as something that could be a bit dangerous, those two elements I think have kind of really forged my whole path, and I've been exploring how those two things relate to each other my whole life. Yeah, I'm fascinated by those two memories because they, like you said, ones play for and has certain consequences with what happens with that, the validation, the praise, the applause for losing control, and then the other one is actually quite to be in that threatening place as a young man with your brother and feeling the racist implications of having that kind of interaction with song. So many people go, I mean, sure you experienced a lot. When you said Gorlu, I was like, so I was overweight growing up, so I was bullied for that. I was bullied for the color of my skin because the area I grew up and there weren't a lot of people of our color. And so I get it, like I hear that, and that doesn't make it any more normal or easy or better for any of us. It's just like, no, that's what you went through. But I can also relate to the other side of the Aunties. I could totally relate to everything you just said. I'm just like we'd be at like an event and the act had pulled out or something, and then my mom would be like, all right, you got to go on stage and save the day. What do you mean? Like, I haven't prepared anything. I'm not ready for this, and I'd have to figure it out. We're all out ages trying to please Aunties literally literally to do what is up with that? And the funny thing is where I was saying this too earlier and I saved it. But I was like, you know, like you you kind of you lived the auntie's dream, like you went to a great school. You don't went to Oxford and did PP For anyone who doesn't know, that's the prime minister's degree, like the prime ministers of England. I think pretty much every single one of them did ppe at Oxford as a subject, it is the most world class degree could possibly do in the whole entire country. Then you go, I want to become an actor, and then you go be an actor too. I'm like, you did it like you did the academic dream you did the you did your dream like when you look at it from that perspective of hey, wait a minute, I actually lived every dream here when you look back and go what is my dream now? Or uncovering what is riz Armed's dream? Do you have anything that feels close? You know?
Speaker 1: It's so interesting hearing you say this, because I don't know if you have this j if I sit back here and I say, Jay, you've done this thing. You brought kind of mindfulness and this Eastern philosophy to like the world. You've got the world's number one health podcast, all this kind of stuff. You're aware of those things, possibly as facts, but your internal experience of it. Does it really land like that? Or does it feel like a series of mistakes that went right, moments of hubris that went wrong, a journey that's constantly unfolding that you're not quite in control of. And in many ways like you don't stop to like breathe it. But maybe I mean, I'm sure you stop to breathe all the time, so you stop to kind of, you know, kind of really have check out that perspective. But when you're saying these things about kind of living the dream or whatever, I guess I don't see it like that. I feel very grateful for my journey. And maybe the reason why I don't see it like that is I realized that all these kind of external markers of achievement, they.
Speaker 2: Don't really land. They don't really land in the way you think they will. The award, the round of applause, these fleeting moments, these moments have kind of these dopamine hits, those moments of the little kid dancing in front of the aunties, being handed in another cup of coca cola in a round of applause, and you know, those moments they feel nice, they feel good, but they're very fleeting. They don't nourish you on a soul level. Those external things.
Speaker 1: I think what we're searching for as artists, as storytellers, as actors, but really any of us is a sense of flow.
Speaker 2: You know, at that moment when you forget yourself. It's that feeling when you're not literally self conscious, and you talk about this so much, right, and this feeling of connection to all things and all people, and every now and again, in a fleeting moment, whether you're lost in a jigsaw puzzle you love, or a video gamee or on stage performing or in a conversation playing with your kid, you forget yourself.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing I'm chasing. It's trying to live in that as much as possible, both in my art and in my life. I want to try and just find a way of just living as close as possible to that pocket, rather than these milestones and these trophies and these things of achievement. Of course, we all have an ego.
Speaker 2: We need one.
Speaker 1: I'm still setting goals, I'm still setting targets. We're still living in this world. But I've realized, in a weird way, having achieved some of those things, having ticked some of those boxes, it doesn't feed.
Speaker 2: Your soul in the way you think it will. It makes so much sense because I think as humans were only good at living in the two extremes. So one is life is all about goals. It's about the malester, and it's about winning and I want to get there. And then the other option is, oh, none of that matters. I've just got a bee. And really it's all in the middle somewhere like you're saying, which is I need to have goals and I need to know where I'm going, but I know that that's not the thing that's going to feed my soul or make me feel full. I've been just thinking about this a lot lately, because I talk about these things and I practice these things, but then you meet someone who does it better than you, more naturally, more effortlessly, and you go, you're talking about me. J Yeah, yeah, I was talking about you life, Thank you. I was doing one of my friends who's like she can make like if she saw a beautiful colored flower on the side of her own she would stop and grab them and feel like someone just gave her a million dollars amazing, and it sounds ridiculous to say it, but having watched her do that, I'm just like, that's what I want like to be, you know, to be able to turn that really ordinary, simple moment into feeling like it's the most order. And we see this in kids. I know you're a dad too. It's like you see this in kids when you watch a kid just marvel at something and they're lost in a moment. You know, there's that classic stereotypical thing of like trying to get everyone out of the house, put on your shoes because we've got somewhere to be milestone objective, achievement goal, and the kid is like playing.
Speaker 1: With the velcrow on the shoes. And it's that. That's the thing, That's what it's all about.
Speaker 2: It is this moment.
Speaker 1: What you're saying kind of reminds me of obviously is that cliche is not the destination, it's the journey. But I think you need to set the destination so that you get to experience the journey. And that's what I'm talking about. It's like, you can aim to achieve x y Z, just know that XYZ isn't going to be the juice. The juice is going to be that feeling of flow that if you're lucky, you might feel trying to get there.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The love that we've got on Bait was overwhelming for me in a way because it was so personal, because it was drawn from all my insecurities in Euroses in such a personal place, not because I'm trying to do something it's all about me, but actually because I think those feelings are universal. I started, I was actually saying to my wife, It's like, should I be enjoying that more? Should it be landing more? And that's when I realized, like, it's actually the reward was the process of making it was the process of reaching inside to a vulnerable place and kind of offering it up. There's that moment of offering, is that moment of letting go. There's this sample at the start of a j coletrack called the Climb Back. The tracks pulled the Climback, and I think it's a sample from a very old audio book called The Tower of Leadership, and it says, you need to ask yourself, why are you doing this work?
Speaker 2: Is it to get or is it to let go? Oh? That's it.
Speaker 1: When you're reaching inside to share something and it's an offering. That is the reward man, That feeling of lightness, that expansiveness. The things you get back from it, they're nice, but it's never going to be the juice like that letting go was. So I'm trying to making my peace with that now.
Speaker 2: That's huge, though, to even be attempting to do that, because it's so easy to stay on the hamster wheel. It's almost easier to just keep producing, keep building, keep putting out, keep doing that thing. You have this great line. I think you said it in one of the interviews, and it's in the themes Ofbate. It's even in I believe it might even be in the show. But you said, like life just feels like one big audition, and I wanted to ask you about that. I think it's such a great line because I think people are exhausted feeling like their life just feels like one big audition, big term. And we see, obviously your character's Charlotte if like he's going for an actual audition, but then his life turns into pretending, like everything has to be about that moment and he has to be that character in his normal life, and I think we do that to ourselves. Is it possible to live as if life is not an audition? Yeah, that is really the central idea of the show. That's why this show is based around an audition. It's not really a show about being an actor. It's about this We always feel like we are all auditioning. And that's because I think of social media to a considerable extent, the attention economy that we all exist in, that our value is about our visibility, and so we're all constantly performing this version of ourselves that we think we should be, that we think people want us to be. And that's true on your LinkedIn profile, on a zoom call, on your social media, just as it is for an act. Right, Like, here's the script I have to behave like a more desirable, put together, successful version of myself. But actually I can't make sense of this script of life and I'm having a panic attack. And so how do you switch that off? How do you kind of like stop performing. I think it's really interesting because you could say, well, you know what, it's about being really vulnerable. It's about embracing your messiness. You can also get into like performative vulnerability. I think so much of it isn't about what you do, it's about why you're doing it and how you're doing it.
Speaker 1: And I have to be honest, at least for myself. Like I've never gotten to a point where i feel like I've cracked this, but I have some days, some afternoons where I just feel like it's not about me. Yeah, I forgotten myself. I'm in that sense of flow, and ironically, that's when things are going the best, you know, when I'm not thinking about them in that way.
Speaker 2: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, how do you kind of find this as wellarticularly kind of operating in a world that's about mindfulness and meditation and finding your purpose on a spiritual level, But of course the medium is often digital and social media, and how do you square that circle? Because it must be in a way. It's similar as like being an actor one hundred percent. You know, you're trying to do something spiritual and forgetting yourself, but you're doing it with people watching.
Speaker 2: I haven't figured out either. It would be stupid to say I have. And I'm grappling with it too. And that's why this interview is so exciting to me, because the themes in bay are so universal no matter what you do, and like you said, whether someone's applying for a job on LinkedIn or whether they're just trying to make their mom happy or whatever it may be, it's it's all in there. And so for me, I started to realize that and you'd feel this way that as an actor, it's slightly different because with an actor, everyone thinks you are your roles so right, Like if someone meets Chris Hemsworth, they think he's thought and like they think they're getting a picture O man. Yeah, they think they get a picture with Thor if you Robert Downey Junior, you think you're with Iron Man like that you know Tony Sark, Like that's who you're in love with. You're not. You don't know who Robert Downey Junior is, same with Rizamed. Whereas for you the public and private self, there's an authenticity. There's a coherence to it. Yes there is in the sense of, yes, I do this in real life and I do it online. But I'm also a complete human being with lots of other desires and lots of other complexities. So like what I try and do as much as I can, which helps me more than helps anyone else, is like I try not to say anything profound when I'm around me because because it's people come over for dinner party, they're expecting Jay's going to be dropping some jam. I'm like literally the plainest, like, yeah, just a man United schools. Yeah exactly. I would literally start talking about football, because all I'm trying to do is like I don't want to play up to the caricature of what I think I've become. It's like a comedian that just thinks they have to be funny all the time, so I can feel like, oh God, I've just got to be everything that comes out of mouth has to be profound and not as not only is that not realistic, it's not possible. I'm not I'm a normal person. Like everything I say is like deep and life changing, and I don't even want to be that. And so it's this fascinating thing that I'm always dealing with. It makes you feel better, Jay, the time we've spent I've you always felt to me to be very superficial. Thank you what you want to hear? Yeah, but yeah, So I think my point is I'm always, in one sense, compensating for that by creating moments of breaking the image.
Speaker 1: You know, somebody says something really interesting to me that in a way inspired the whole show of bait.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It was this one thing was this feeling of life for all of us feels like an addition. And the other thing was the distance between your public and private self is the amount of shame that you carry, the distance between how you want to be seen or how people see you and who you are when no one's watching that performance that we are all living in that's actually about that's a measurement of shame. And I was like, I want to do something in that spot and for me, in that space between those two versions of yourself. That space really started opening up for me a lot about ten years ago when I started to become more known in America doing some work here and doing things like Star Wars. That is when it just felt so out odds. You know, the perception and the reality couldn't be more different, and that's something that's stressful, absurd, what's so kind of funny, and so I wanted to kind of liberate myself of that shame hopefully invite other people to liberate themselves of that shame as well by actually trying to collapse that distance between the public and private self. So I'm always an actor. What if I make a show that's taking all my vulnerabilities and euroses and laugh about them and put them out there. And it's so much in the show that's really directly from my upbringing. There's that skinhead moment a version of it. I had a panic attack once when I was supporting Wu Tang Clan concert at Kenish Town Forum in North London. We refilmed me having a panic attack your Kentish Town Forum. I said, I want to do the same place. I want to burst out into the same alleyway and have the same panic attack there. Even you know the British Security Services m I five and m I six recruiting my character.
Speaker 2: They've tried to do that with me.
Speaker 1: I can't believe that that's a crazy story. I became more known as an actor. They reached out several times saying do you want to help us with messaging? Do you want to sit down? I was like, oh, my artist, I'm not getting involved, mate, no, thank you. But I just tried to take all these kind of moments of confusion and contradiction and try and put them out there, because, like you said that, the gap between your public and privateself can feel like a straight jacket. And I think we're all doing it. You don't have to be you or me, like I said, We're all kind of performing. It feels like these days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I feel the challenges and I love that idea, the one that you shared. Just now this the gap between your public and private self. How big shame is or how deep the shame you experience. And I think that the biggest challenge becomes when you never leave the stage. And so everyone has to perform. Everyone has to perform at work, everyone has to perform with family. You know there's going to be praises in your life where you have to perform. Life is that way. But if you never leave the stage and you feel like your performance on stage is who you are and is reflective of your worth, that feels like when you're really stuck, because now you're saying the value I get from being on the stage is all the value I have. And especially if when you leave the stage, you're trying to be as boring as possible. Do you know what I'm trying to say, You're trying to be as imperfect as possible. What is love?
Speaker 1: What is your safe place? What are your safe relationships? To the place where you don't have to perform, we get to be the messy, chaotic, neurotic, boring version of yourself, and so this weird things happen. It's like the place of love and safety is a place where and it should be like this, you know, like my cousins they laugh about what I do with one of my cousins, right, and they respect football together fifty exactly right. But what I think I love about that WhatsApp group my cousins is when I got nominated fro An Oscar for acting, one of my cousins genuinely was like, okay, cool, Like what is that big deal is that? Like when I won Regional Employee of the Month. I was about to say like, well, no, it's saud, she's not like waing regional employee, and another cousin came in and went, no, it's not like that, because you actually won that award Regional Employing the month.
Speaker 2: He didn't win. Oh that's that's healthy, That's that's good. Do you know what I mean? To have your safe place be one where those things don't matter with the performances in material, But it can be lopsided, right, So people get addicted to being out there and getting a pat on the back. Not only are we trying to be liked or validated, It's like what again is set up for is trying to be something you're not. So obviously your characters trying to become the next James Bond. And it's not really about it's this idea of I'm trying to be something I'm not, And I think that is even more difficult than just trying to be liked, because before there's one version of you trying to be liked for who you are, and now you're trying to be liked for someone you'll never be. And that's like an even more complicated place to be because now you're taking on traits, personality, types, clothing, whatever. I mean, I'm half disappointed didn't show up in a tux today, you know that, right, Like it's like for everyone else the subway takes you show up and everyone else to have to be This is where I get to be boring. You're not worried, look great, but yeah, it's like but that idea of trying to be someone when not I find that to be like the the Golden handcuffs, the drug of society where I remember when I started, when I left the monastery and I started working in the corporate world just to pay the bills and survive. I remember thinking to myself, this place is trying to make me someone that I'm not. Yeah, And I could spend thirty years here becoming someone that I'm not, become partner, could make money, whatever. And that's the challenge people having to work with. Because we're lucky, we get to express who we are through our work and tell stories and everything. But when I think about someone who's like, yeah, I've got you know, Riz, That's what I've got to do every day, Like I have to be someone I'm not.
Speaker 1: Do you think that we all have an essential essence and go this is who you are? Like I said, I grew up code switching with these very different sides to myself wearing a school uniform school and then shamakam he's at home and rebolt classics and fake vsace out with my friends, literally changing costumes, accent, and personality. It is a form of acting. Now try and bring all of that together, making things like bait or my version of Hamlet or whatever. We bring these different things together in one place. Do we have an essential center? Isn't it just about our circumstances and our environment? This is when I'm asking you to say something profound. Yeah, I need you to help me out with this. What's your take on this? Do you think we have like, Okay, this is you at your core, and that's you your core.
Speaker 2: I believe that life is more about a collection and connection of ideas and stories and narratives that you've built, as opposed to a center that was always the case. And it can sound easy to say it, but actually it's really hard. Like I always say to people, I'm as much in love with monk wisdom as I am with building a media empire, as I am with being a loving partner, as I am with a good friend. Like I'm like in love with all of those parts of myself, and I'm like trying to become okay with all of those things, those things that are seen as contradictions correct and paradoxical, and they feel like they don't mesh. But I'm like, if everyone sat down and asked themselves who they were, I think we all have paradoxism. Yeah. We've been taught to say I'm an accountant, I'm married, I'm Hindu, I'm whatever. It is. Like, we've been taught to have very simple labels which are very you know, incomplete. Yeah, And I guess it's like less about finding your self means being in one lane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't believe in that. Yeah, I think that having all these different sides to who we are is human and universal and healthy in a way. Over the last ten years or so, I kind of really went on this journey of trying to make work from a more personal place. When I came into this game, I felt like, for some reason, I had to justify it beyond just myself enjoying it. Now, I'm like, actually, my joy is valid joy, and if other people take joy from my work, that's valid as well. But I always felt like it's got to be a have a greater purpose, right, And for me, that was about trying to stretch culture, this idea of one person at a time, one film screening, one performance at a time, opening people's hearts and minds to an experience that they didn't think.
Speaker 2: They could relate to.
Speaker 1: But actually, wow, I recognize myself in it. It's like I was a big fan of watching The Crown, and you know when you're watching The Crown and you're suddenly like, I'm the Queen of England. That's me, I totally you know how it's this amazing body swap that story can achieve, right, And so to try and open people's hearts and minds, to realizing that we're all the same, we're all one, and to stretch culture in that way. And before I used to think, Okay, that means me popping up in all these roles that are as different as possible, to me change people's ideas about who can play that role.
Speaker 2: Who can be in a Star Wars movie, and all this kind of stuff. And now more and more I think, like I want to share them, messy contradiction of myself. I used to think acting was about putting on the mask. Now I think it's about taking it off. It's actually about sharing the most personal thing possible, and that ends up being the most universal yeah thing, Yeah, you know. It's something actually I've never really talked about publicly before Jay, But I did this film called Mogul Mowgli, and it's a a guy who an artist, who suddenly loses his ability to walk, becomes tremendously ill overnight, and is never sure if he's going to get his life back. It was an expiration of lots of themes that I was interested in creatively. But what people don't know is that that basically really happened to me. It was twenty fifteen and I just started filming Star Wars. I'd never done studio movie before, never done a big franchise. I never thought that would be my path. I was really happy doing indies like Nightcrawler and Four Lions. I suddenly got to be in this film set with stormtroopers and all these big things. I was like, Wow, this is going to happen for me. One week into filming that, I started getting weird pain in my legs, and I thought, okay, maybe I've pulled something during one of the action scenes. And I woke up one morning and I couldn't get out of bed and I couldn't walk. Tried to go to a hospital. They were like, they just kind of like, palm me off. They didn't weren't really sure what it was. I went to the hospital back in my parents' neighborhood, the same hospital I was born in. When I was visiting, my parents said let me go and check get checked out there. They immediately saw what was happening and they were like, you need to be admitted to hospital straight away. I remember saying, I can't do how the fhilic Star Wars right now, and they said, you're in a very dangerous situation right now, and I'll explain to you what's happening, but you need to be hospitalized immediately. And I just felt like, what's happening to me? It's my life kind of falling apart before my eyes. I ended up spending two and a half months in hospital. I was unable to walk. I went down to just under fifty kilos, wow, one hundred pounds. You know. I couldn't lift my arms, I couldn't walk, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was kind of going to a stroke gym every day. A weird thing happens when your life falls apart like that, when you're confronted with your complete lack of control. It's really humbling. We realize, if I don't even control my own body, then maybe everything that I do have is a gift. And I remember being in hospital. Forget going back to film the rest of Star Wars, forget having a career ever being able to walk again. I remember being sat there and seeing like a pigeon sat on the window sill of this NHS hospital.
Speaker 2: And being almost moved to tears with by its beauty. It sounds baby, sounds crazy, but maybe you can relate what I'm saying, where you're just like, man, I did nothing to deserve that pigeon coming to visit me. I get to see up close. Pigeons are actually amazing. They're like a little bit green and red, and you're getting seen the sunlight shine off of it, this thing that I'd taken for granted. I was just absolutely blown away by this animal.
Speaker 1: It's wild animal that was there, and I felt this sense of such humility and gratitude. And I've always believed since then it's when you're brought to your knees that you're halfway towards praying. It brings you closer to the love in the universe. And I went on a real journey and that's when I kind of really started meditating in earnest. I had this kind of crazy, crazy journey where I had to kind of almost grieve and let go of my life the way I thought it would be.
Speaker 2: And it was almost like I felt like God was the universe was saying, in all this stuff that you want, it's like happening for you now, right, make sure you appreciate it. Don't take it for granted. You know, I was being taught gratitude just before being given the gift. My friends are texting me like, bro, I've just seen the Star Wars phos Man, like you're going to be in Star Wars. I'm in a hospital desperately trying to get the nurses attention because I can't get out to go as a toilet and don't want to wet the bed. My life is just it couldn't be more different to what people are perceiving it to be. It was something about that experience made me want to start telling work from a personal place. And the reason for that is that I felt a lot of.
Speaker 1: Shame around it. I felt a deep sense of shame, and you know, I've never really talked about it publicly now, but for anyone else going to that right now, I wanted to kind of share that and offer that as an experience because I felt this kind of weird shame and I felt this critical in a voice coming out that was like, you deserve this, this is what you should be, You belong up care getting straight back, don this is your fate. How dare you think you could be happy? You have the things you want and all this shame and all this kind of like this really venomous voice was coming out and I was like, actually, this is the thing that's killing me. The only way to heal myself of that voice is by owning it. Is owning my experience, losing the shame around my experience, losing my shame around who I am. That's what Mogo Mowgli's about, That's what bait is about. Because I believe, you know, what happened to me was a kind of autoimmune condition, right, And autoimmune condition is when the body attacks itself. And I know we're both big fans of that book The Body keeps a score, you know. It was my belief that I wasn't war with myself, that my critical inner voice was so out of control. I was always attacking myself, beating myself over the stick so much that in a way, my body had turned on itself. I mean, I told this story jokingly before about one but I'd tell you, which is two years after I'd finished filming The night of I'd still get up in the middle of the night, go to the bathroom and start running scenes again. This is the show has come out. I want an Emmy for this role. It's done. I should have moved on my life, but still in the back.
Speaker 2: Of my head.
Speaker 1: It's like, not good enough, You're not good enough. It's embarrassing. How you think I was gonna get back up there do it again?
Speaker 2: Wow? So I had this voice in me and my is my belief that that critical inner voice led me to that hospital bed, and I had to look it in the eye and say, normal, shame, man, normal shame. I'm going to own this. I'm going to create work from this. And that's what Sound of Metal was, That's where Mogo Mowgli was coming from. That direct experience in the universe brought me a Sound of Metal, which is also about an artist going through a health crisis. And I was like, no, you're not done with it. You've got to go back there. You gotta make work from this place. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Man, I have long, deep history with this critical voice and this shame, and I really think it can kill you.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: It's not something that I'm done with. But I think that critical in a voice just he's not the guy on the megaphone, but he's a guy who's always going to be at the party. He's maybe, if I'm lucky, he's at the corner of the party.
Speaker 2: As hard as it, maybe talk to me about the lowest moment, the worst day of going through that time in hospital, because those are the moments that we all have experienced rock bottom. But those are the moments you never hear people talk about because they're scary. Yeah, And I feel like when I'm hearing you talk about that, I'm like, it sounds like you were dealing with a lot for something mental to become physically that deabilitating when you're a fit, young man, healthy man in general, Like that means there was a real war within yourself, as you've rightly said it. Talk to me as much as you can about that.
Speaker 1: I was alone at night in the hospital and they were pumping me full of a lot of steroids intravenously and stories keep you up right, and I couldn't sleep and I.
Speaker 2: Just felt completely alone.
Speaker 1: Whatever was going on with me, it was resistant to treatment. So I got a tiny bit better, and then it went It was going south, and it started sensing that maybe there was some It might be affecting my heart, and it might be affecting my ability to breathe, and it was certainly was affecting my ability to swallow. I remember this because the people on set stuff was God bless them. They carried on sending me food to the hospital, and I was having trouble swallowing it, and I was like, am I going to make my way out of this?
Speaker 2: Am I going to die? Here? Is what I started asking myself. And I started talking to God.
Speaker 1: And I remember that rock bottom moment again, like I said, when you're brought to your knees, when you're halfway to praying. It was that moment of total helplessness that I started talking to God and I said, if you please give me a chance, if you please let me live, I promise you as much as I can.
Speaker 2: I will give. I want to give. And what I meant by that was and I said, like, I just feel I haven't emptied myself yet. You know I've got more to give. And I remember just pleading with God and just the tears just streaming down my face. It's just saying, yeah, if you just let me live, if you let me get through this, I promise you I will. I will empty myself and try and give from whatever you've given me. And it was incredibly scary. And the next morning, I remember they said they said that they might have to start a really intensive kind of chemo on me. God man, I mean that's it's a harrowing time like in your life. Like that's like just when I hear about it, because I I not not It wasn't life threatening. But my version of the mental turning in the physical was I developed while I was a monk. I developed polyps in my throat, and so these get on your vocal cords, and people generally get it from like vocal exhaustion or lack of vocal rest or some sort of vocal disruption. And I think for us in the monastery, it was mantra, it was chanting, it was you know, and and I do not have a singing voice, for whatever it's worth, but I think my vocal range is pretty limited and I was probably straining it. I don't even know how it happened. That's that's the physical version, but we all know there's well from what we're talking about, there's so much more to it, whether it's a lack of expression, a lack of authentic communication of where you're at. And I remember having to get them lasered off my throat, and so I went into surgery got them lasered off. It's pretty like you know, you don't feel it yesterday. It it's not like I said, it's not life threatening, but like for months after, you're drinking from a straw because you can't eat proper food, okay, and you can't talk. So I have a white board and I remember moving in back with my parents at the time because I couldn't be in the monastery, and I'd literally write to my mom like what I could eat, water, whatever it was. And I'm literally carrying a whiteboard around my neck basically and just writing stuff to my family because I can't say anything. And at that time, I'm like, I give speeches at colleges, I give talk to the temple. I'm like speaking is my thing, Like that's what I do course, and it's all gone and its disappeared in like I can't even say anything, Like I'm writing words on a whiteboard, and I remember feeling very similarly to what you're saying about seeing that pigeon praying to God like I can relate to it. And again like mine was not life threatening. You know, there's a difference between not speaking and not walking. No, but it's profound because it's your your gift turns to your curse. It's like the thing that you are blessed.
Speaker 1: With, which is his ability to communicate in this desire, this purpose you have, that is the thing that's taken from correct And so how has that affected the way that you I mean, did that just make you even more motivated to speak and to choose your words and think about your words.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I had to go to a vocal coach to train and all of that kind of stuff, and they said that you would get your you know, your natural voice would come back. It came back softer. I'd lost the raspiness and the depth of my voice. I sounded different. Now, I sound back to normal. If anything, maybe it's a bit better now. So I'm God take it. But like at the time, it was like I was like, God, I'm gonna have to learn how to talk it yet, Like that's how it felt, and what it did for me was a few things. I remember talking to one spiritual guide at the time and I said to him, I said, I can't speak to God out loud anymore, like I can't hear myself talk to God. I can't chant. I can't mantra is such a big part of Eastern tradition. I can't I can't chant out loud, and you're meant to chant out loud so you can hear the spiritual sacred sound like that's our practice. And he goes to me, He goes, God's teaching you to chant with your heart like and I was like, God, like that that at that time, I just remember that like hitting me. It was like he was like, yeah, you think, well, you think you talk to God out loud, like you think that's what God listens to. He was like, God's listening to this, like God knows what's going on in here. It's got nothing to do with sound and voice. And I was like, wow, that's that's huge to learn to talk to God with my heart. What does that even mean? Yes? And then at the same time, it's what you said where it was like, Okay, now that my voice is starting to come back, how am I going to respect the fact that I have a voice like to and you know, to not take it for granted, to be like, how can you feel that this ease with which we're talking right now and we're communicating and I can hear you, you can hear me. When that goes away, God, life feels colorless, and you know it loses so much value and so again, and you know we were talking about this offline as well, like when you of course you forget all this, you started taking all the gifts for granted, again, you probably have to in a way to try and kind of move through the trauma. But I don't know if you have moments where you remember that and you just sink into that deep sense of humility and gratitude, and humility is the word. I mean. You're taking me back that Actually, I don't think I've actually thought about this. I don't. I don't think I've talked about it publicly. To be honest myself, I don't. I can't remember if I've actually talked about it. And I'm being reminded of your experience, like your your experience triggering me going yeah like that, you know it was intense. That was intense, and I don't traumatic. Yeah, it was traumatic. But all of that to say, with all of yours, talk to me about where does the shame come from going through something like that and then not wanting to share it, Because I think there's the pain of going through something traumatic, and there's then there's the pain of communicating it to a group of people who may or may not actually understand what the hell you just went through. Yeah, but talk to me about where was the shame for you in wanting to share that and what kept in for so long? I will, But can I first tell you something about your voice? Yeah? I love your voice. But here's the thing.
Speaker 1: When I sometimes I'm walking down the street, it doesn't happen to be a lot, but it's happened to me enough times I want to mention it. Sometimes people stop me and they say, say, I'm on the phone or whatever. They've heard me talking.
Speaker 2: They go, So, I just tell you sound exactly that. That is hilarious. I'll take that as a complidence. I'll take it as a compliment. Bro, you'd make an amazing MC. I think you've got a great You've got a great voice for that. Yeah, come on, So I just want to give your voice its flowers. Yeah, the shame? You know. I think that the show is about this idea of wanting to be James Bond. I wanted that. I mean, who doesn't or if not exactly that a version of that. Now, what I mean by that is like you want to aspire to this archetype of heroism and that is about being this kind of invulnerable, powerful alpha male, whatever that means, although hilariously, I mean the alpha male in a wolf pack is the animal that lets the kids beat it up the most, you know, and it's like the most chill and the least aggressive, right. But we have these ideas in our culture, and I guess I didn't want to. I already felt like I don't.
Speaker 1: Fit the mold, you know, for all the reasons we've already discussed to be experienced growing up. I don't want another strike against me of people somehow thinking I'm weak, you know, or I'm fragile or I Whereas now I look at it, it's like watchually, I feel like I showed a lot of resources and strength and mental and physical you know, teaching yourself to walk again or lift your arms or whatever that takes strength. And I can say that now. The time I just saw the GLO was half empty of it, and I thought, I don't even want anyone to think that weak, unbroken, that I'm not up up to the mark. Yeah, And in a way, I actually think that there's some truth in that that I think the culture has shifted a little bit more, you know, I think we do because of spaces like this Man that you've created and other people have created where we can talk and celebrate our vulnerabilities a bit more, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's talking about this right now. My body right now is kind of like going, oh God, did I just say all this? Did I do all this? But I also feel a bit lighter. It's that thing of digging inside. Like I said, it's an offering.
Speaker 1: You know, if there's someone going through something like this just watching this, if it normalizes their experience, if it makes them feel less alone, that's beautiful, you know, and I want to share that. I think it was that really, I think it was kind of my again, it was the distance between that public and privateself, and I felt that if my public self gets too close to my reality, it'll fall apart.
Speaker 2: Again. Yeah, well said, yeah, no, I really believe you sharing that, especially talking about perception in that externally, everyone can be like, oh, you're winning, your career has been amazing. You want emmy, He's like, osc you know all this stuff, and it's like to actually go, oh wait a minute, even him, like there's stuff he's going through not only is affecting him mentally physically and that mental physical connection that I want people to make here, which I know you do too, which is this idea that a lot of what we're going through physically is coming from some sort of emotional block, mental block. And in Bait you visualize that as this severed pig's head, which is this Patrick Stewart voice, severed pig's head.
Speaker 1: So yes, the critical inner voice in Bait is a severed pig's head. It was sent to the family as a racist attack, and it's about I guess how we can internalize the criticism of us, internalize the prejudice, so it starts to become almost like his best friend. And for me, for a long time, my critical in a voice was something I didn't want to lose. I was worried that if I make peace with it, will turn the volume down on that too much. I'll get lazy, I'll get complacent. I remember even when we won an Oscar for our short film, It's so funny. It was almost like the oscar was looking at me, going, you ain't shit. The kind of elation lasted as long as me going there, collecting it, going backstage, going to the toilet, coming back and sitting down again by the time I said down. In fact, I would say my critical inner voice was an all time high when I was sat there holding that oscre in my hand, because it was almost like a survival mechanism. My brain was going with that voice. That part of my brain was going, don't put your feet up now, don't think you can get complacent, don't kick back. I've programmed you to strive, not to savor, and so you're now are going to really crack the whip. It's just it was just going crazy. I remember sitting there in that seat having the most aggressively critical thoughts to myself.
Speaker 2: It was like out of control. But in the show's played by seven Pigshead. I want you to know. There was a moment, long moment I was like, it has to be Ja.
Speaker 1: We ended up getting Sir Patrick's steward to someone who's I thought, it has to be a really kind of super established actor, one of the great so it makes sure my character feel insecure. Actually, if you have my evil twins, I mean, it's not a slight resemblance. Maybe I was like, yeah, what if it should be j J should be my critical in a voice that would be hus so funny, Patrick Stewart was was the right choice. It was one of those moments in the show where you're like, what, like, it's such a surprise, right, right, Yeah, talk to me about that, because I think what you just identified is the high performers an overachiever's curse, where the inner critic is what drives you to extraordinary success.
Speaker 2: Do you think? Usually right, Usually from everyone I've interviewed, whether it's basketball players, whether it's tennis players, whether it's F one drivers, that they won't say the same thing. Basically, the athletes who I think are playing at the levels where every inch counts, in every minute matters, they all have this crazy inner critic which they have to learn what to do with it because in the moment they have to believe that this point is the only thing that matters, and then as soon as they win or lose the point, they have to believe that point doesn't matter at all. Wow, because that's the switch there, so that their code switch or that is that it's like, when I'm playing this point, this is the most important point in the world, and as soon as the point's over, whether I win or lost the point, that points of relevance.
Speaker 1: So you need the inner critic and the inner cheerleader totally. You've you've got to basically be able to toggle between them both. Yeah, it's interesting. I don't want to believe that the inner critic is the jet fuel. I want to believe that it's like one of the engines, right, But there's got to be that other engine because you know, I also feel that, Yes, I feel like the inn a critic, or that fear of failure, the possibility of shame, all these things can drive us. But I think it can also make us quite tense. And I think our best performances come when we're in a state of flow. And that is about, like you're saying, too tight to loose, that is also about being kind of loose. That's about a joy. It's about openness and receptivity and play and curiosity. Yeah, all those things that the critic does not really give us. And so yeah, for me, it's like on that mixing desk of the voices in my head. You don't want to the voice in my head. Y, there's a lot of them.
Speaker 2: You're one of them.
Speaker 1: But I'm trying to just find that right balance and find the right moment to bring up that cheerleader.
Speaker 2: Versus the critic. I'm glad you said that, because I would agree with you, and I would encourage people to go there, especially if you're a high achiever, high performer, or even if you have goals and you think the only way to get there is to make yourself feel bad and beat yourself up and to actually go Well, that isn't the way I want to get there. There is a way of getting there that isn't that. That just seems to be the most common way that a lot of successful people have got there, but then they didn't like what they got either. I think it can get you to a place, but then it will kill you. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: You know people would whip horses to like make them run faster. You're going to kill that horse or somewhere you're.
Speaker 2: Going to really get exhausted. Yeah, that's a great vision.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to find a way of something else kind of taking over. And honestly, I kind of feel like, well you're talking about before with kids, that's been a great teacher for me. You know, play just on a really basic level, play the joy of that, the curiosity of it, as you're not being in control that's been a great teacher for me, not least because actually I think kids you can't control them. Really, I mean, they humble you every day, right they they totally kind of you know, is that thing where you don't raise your kids, they raise you? So I don't know, I think that that's kind of something I'm trying to pass. It's on from the critic to the to the cheerlead that to the child.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to the child. I like that. Yeah, there's this there's this beautiful quote from Jorge Bernard Sure that I love where he said we don't stop playing because we get old. We get old because we stop playing. And I love that, Like it's just it's so good because I'm like, yeah, Like, that's why we feel old is because we stop playing, we stop being curious, we stop marveling at the greatness of a velcrow shoe, that simplicity. And that's why time I was looking into actually, because that's why as we get older. I'm sure you feel this way too, time just flies. Every adult I talk to, they're like, yeah, God, time's just going fast.
Speaker 1: Apparently that is a proven fact that our brains subjectively experience time differently as we get older.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: So in terms of subjectively the spread of our life and how it feels to our brains is fifty percent of our life is lived between the age of zero and eight years old, which is crazy, that's like half of it because of how a day feels when you're a little kid, how expansive and huge it can feel, and how quick a year can feel towards the tail end. So yeah, as you're starting to feel more and more conscious of time and its passage, like what is that doing for you? Is that just means streamlining and focusing on the things you really want to or how are you managing with that?
Speaker 2: At one point in my life, I listened to Steve jobs is Standford commencement speech every day for nine months. Well, in my opinion, it's the best speech I ever given. Because he also knew he was going to die. So I feel like when someone knows they're going to die, it's that death awareness meditation, right, it's a big part of the kind of yeah, yeah, when that strict tradition in Eastern philosophy. Yeah, absolutely, and it's like every word mattered, like he didn't that wasn't performing if you see him do it. He also just reads it like deadpan, like there's no performance, there's no emphasis, there's no poet, like he's not trying. It's just truth. Yeah, because he knows he's going to die. So it's like there's a so I listened to that, and there's a line in it that just goes like something like, and I'll butcher it. Some people should listen to the real thing. But he literally says something like every few days, if I check him with myself and I ask myself, I look in the mirror, like, am I doing what I want to do? If this was my last day? And if after three or four days the answer isn't this is what I should be doing, then I know I've got something to change. And I'm like, I don't think we can all live like that all the time. I think there's you know, people have responsibilities and pressures and whatever. But I think there's truth to the idea of did you call the person that you would call if it was your last day. Did you talk to your partner in the way you would if it was the last time you were going to talk to them? Did you look at your kid before you went out to work in a way that you would want them to know was how much you loved them, Like, I think all those things do matter. That applies even if you've got to go to a job every day and you've got to say hello to people. It's like, did you behave with everyone in the way that you want to be remembered? I think that is important to me. And I think it's streamlining. I think it's focusing. I think it's all those things, but really it's more about it's less about what I do, and it's more about who I am, and in that, what is the spirit of my being. I've noticed versions of that where like, in order to become successful, I've had to be more technical, I've had to be more strategic, I've had to be more organized, I've had to be whatever whatever the words are. And then I go, I'm just a guy who loves the heart, Like that's who I am at the core of Like I'm just a guy who just wants to like love and be loved. Like that's who I am at my essence. And who are the people who can take me back to that in this crazy world where I have to be all these other versions of myself in order to do the thing people always say like, what's your favorite place? And I'm like, I'm never looking for my favorite place. I'm looking for my favorite people, because as long as I'm with my favorite people, it doesn't matter where I am. And so I'm looking for people actively always, yeah, that keep taking me back to that place within my heart and can do it quicker, more beautifully, more gracefully, more elegantly. And I find I'm some of them are old friends that have had for twenty twenty five years, yeah, And some of them are new people that I just met last year. People who can make you more yourself yeah yeah, yeah, people who can make you forget yourself. Yeah. People who go beyond the performance of yeah yeah yeah, like the person who's not getting you to play up to your avatar or you're you know. And so I'm looking I'm always looking to not collectors in this. I don't need a million of those people. You've got to find a few people that you just drop in your nervous system calms down. You know, the active mind switch is so important, so important.
Speaker 1: It's interesting you say that because you know we're in LA right now, and I had a very kind of like you're making me think about this because I had this narrative where it was like, I don't like it, and you're actually making me think about this. Is like, there are a periods of time when I've ador lay and the thing that was surprising to me now is just before coming here, I was like, oh, I gotta go to La, man, being from London like walking, you know, like driving and everything spread out and I was like, you know, see any and all these kind of cliched criticisms, right, And yet I walk it out today in La absolutely loving it because.
Speaker 2: With my wife, with my.
Speaker 1: Kid, I'm with family, you know, family has come to visit. The house is full, and it's suddenly like being.
Speaker 2: Back as a kid, surrounded by clapping aunties or whatever, you know what I mean. It was just it just.
Speaker 1: Feels like that environment. It feels like home. And absolutely it's the people, man, it's the people that made the place one hundred percent. And yeah, I was kind of confronted with that realization this morning. I was like, oh, yeah, I've just slipped into this kind of lazy narrative. It's like, it's not what it's about.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the time piece too that you brought up that I think is a really valuable thing. It's like, how much can I not try and fill time? And how much can I not try and be distracted? I find it hard, like kind of doing nothing. Yeah, something that is starting to help is reading. I'm very poorly read. Nah, I don't believe that. Yeah, I kind of through your work. I would like I pick up.
Speaker 1: A lot of things in like just a lot of music in the podcast, I watched talks.
Speaker 2: I go to talks, I talk to people. But I had like growing up crazy ADHD and I'll get into a lot of trouble at school. Now I look back, I'm like, oh, of course that's what that was. And you know there's loads of different ways in which that manifest So sitting down to read a book was like torture. It was historically again the narrative, oh I don't read. I can't read.
Speaker 1: Recently, particularly being married to a novelist, that was like, this is a bit of a deal breaker.
Speaker 2: You need to be reading books. At least read my book. I was like, Okay, I gotta sit down and do this.
Speaker 1: That is the thing that is allowing me to like sit and kind of do nothing. Again, it's forgetting myself, you know what. I mean, but I otherwise struggle with it. I can very easily fill time, create a new idea. Now let's progress it. What if we do that? What if we and I'm sure I don't know. How do you manage that?
Speaker 2: Is that something that you're also navigated? Had to set rules around it? Because I'm like that as well. I feel like I'm a creative brain. I like building stuff, I like playing with stuff. But I had to start just building real parameters around that. Where and what do you mean? Like as in you don't work after six pm? Or like yeah, it's like I won't think about work or be on my phone after six pm. Because to me, that rest and renewal is where the best ideas come out. Talking about flow state, I can't invent flow, I can't engineer it, I can't manufacture it, and so for it to exist, I need to be in this lucid state where it said something that randomly allowed for me to be inspired at eight pm and it came up and that's fine, but I don't need to act on it immediately. I just need to let it breathe and let it sit.
Speaker 1: Letting it sit, best ideas come on the toilets see bro in the shower and there's actually we started taking our phones to the toilets.
Speaker 2: The toilets now not the creative meccha used to be, but the shower man shower is always where you got Yeah, and actually, just to give Eliott's flowers, driving has been great for me. I agree in that sense where you're just going on these long drives and you allow the thing to bubble up. David Lynch to talk about the fish, right, the fish that we just swim to the surface. Sometimes if you could just allow the water to be still enough. Riz, I want to do a certain question for you that we've got that speak about everything we've been talking about. But we're going to do them as not rapid fire, but we're going to do them as quicker fire. Yeah. Yeah, not line rambling. I don't want you no no, no, you can give longer answers, but I want to kind of get out from you. So what's the hardest mask you've had to take off?
Speaker 1: I think it was probably around my health, Yeah, you know, kind of letting people into that even if it was happening. I was trying to keep people at a distance. I didn't want people to see me like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Seely if I thought I was like if I might die, then I don't want people to remember me like this almost you know, So I think it was that. I think it was when I was at my most vulnerable, letting people in on what was happening, and starting to slowly share that what part of you still feels like it doesn't belong different parts of me in every place that I go to. That's interesting. Yeah, and I think a lot of people feel like that. Lot of creative people feel like that. I've learned to embrace that. Actually, I actually feel like having that slight outsiders perspective is kind of fun. Yeah, it allows me to enjoy things at a distance as well. But yeah, I mean all the time. I mean, ah, you know, I remember going to meet the Queen and accidentally trying to fist bumper. Ah, that's so good.
Speaker 1: It was like a British film industry reception. Everyone lines up. She put her hand out like this. From the angle that I was at, I thought she was going like this. I went like this, as security went like this, ended up just going like this.
Speaker 2: You know. It was super weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a ring, So I don't know, man, like this this is all these kind of moments of feeling like a fish out of water that now I actually kind of like, I quite enjoy being like, where am I?
Speaker 2: What is this? You know, something you can laugh about later. Yeah, it's a better story too, I think so. Yeah, if you felt totally comfortable everywhere you went, and you're probably not in the right place, David Bowie says, this thing of is when you can't feel the bottom of the swimming pool. Is you know you're in the right place. You know you're slightly out of the depth working it out. That's beautiful. I love that. That's one of the reasons why I've I actually liked living in LA because I'm reminded of my insignificance daily because it's so big, because it's so big, and I go to an event and I'm the least important person in the room, and I love it because the only conversation I'll have is meaningful one because the only person who's aware of me is someone who's connected to the kind of work I do well, and then that allows me to bask in the glory of the rarity of that human and the intraction we just had. So I tried to belong to one person then belong to a room or a place or a space, because belonging to one person is kind of all we're looking for anyway. It's like when you meet one person and you go, oh god, even like you know we're from the same area, like you know, we know the same people. Like that to me in a busy, big room is like pure joy that I know. Even the person winning an award on stages you've rightly just said, isn't even feeling yeah, And so it's not being celebrated that it gives us joy. It's not belonging to a whole room that gives us joy. It's connectious. It's one person that lives to you, and you go, we're from the same place, we believe in the same things, we care about whatever whatever that may be. Or I had a really good debate with someone that engaged me in a really curious way and we don't agree. It can be so overwhelming in those rooms, can't it. Where like you're chatting to people and you feel that everyone's like looking over his should and see if there's someone else to talk to, and it's like pinball. It's like a social pinball, but finding a center in those rooms, finding a kind of a rooted place to drop into. Yeah, that's the way to do it. Yeah. I always say to God, I'm like, I just want to meet the one person you want me to meet today, And that's how I walk into a room. I love that. I always meet that person and it's always like becomes a friendship, or we had a great conversation and we don't talk ever again, or and it's just like, yeah, God, like I'm here for you. So you just introduced me to the one person you want to introduce me to you and it Yeah, that that kind of carries me. So this one's a good one. So when was the last time you tried to people? Please?
Speaker 1: This is going to sound like a small thing, but clothes matter to me a lot me too, Man. I grew on a Wembley market where they sold all the fake designer clothes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's all about that. Would go and buy some and we'd sell them and we got you know, and try and buy some real ones, and I do you know, we were just kind of obsessed with it, you know, as teenagers trying to wear the mask or having the costume or find worth whatever it is. Now I see it more as a kind of expression to myself. Recently, I was going to do a talk show or something and I said, I shouldn't wear that outfit. That's to me in a weird way. I was like, that's I need to meet the audience where they're at. Maybe they haven't seen a show like this or have related to someone like me from my background. I'm doing something maybe targeting, like you know, it's Middle America or something. And I tried to dilute down what I would wear and who I would be, And luckily, when I was wearing things, I was like, oh the hell is this what am I doing? And I took it off.
Speaker 1: But I remember, and I remember actually in that moment being quite surprised, like, Oh, that's still really that's just still a really strong instinct to do that, to edit and censor myself in that way.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a small thing. But do you think, though, you only get away with being able to make that choice when you're successful.
Speaker 1: I think chicken and egg. I think the people who become the most successful the people who most unapologize themselves.
Speaker 2: I love that. What a great answer, because the specificity and the honesty and the authenticity is what people are attracted to. Just feels real, you know. That's the narrative again. We tell ourselves, Oh, I'm when I'm successful, then I'll be myself when people they sent me, I'll be me. If you be you, then people will accept you. Yeah. Yea, so well said man. So well said, I feel like before we go to the final five, which is our Rabbi Fire, I feel like we have to give a bunch of shout outs to places in north and Northwest London there we grew up around because we've got to go Niche. We were talking about this before. We were like, we could have done a whole interview about north Northwest London and no one else would have got us apart from our hometown, which we love. So this is for the fifteen people that know exactly what we're talking about. I'm going to start with the what I said to earlier Kebabish on the Healing Road.
Speaker 1: Yeah, barbish is literally a place that I shout out on my last rap song.
Speaker 2: Do you know what when I said that to you earlier, I didn't even know that.
Speaker 1: Just did the tract will be good with cassies that it's on the Bait soundtrack actually I name check Cabarbage specifically, and the amount of people from my past who reached out and texted me like, bro, barbish.
Speaker 2: You remember those.
Speaker 1: Days when we used to go barbage the garlic. Mao, my mouth is watering. Is I'm talking? It's actually the non it's the freshness of the non shower barbage eating road. Okay, yeah, that's a good one. What about well you Saint and or Saint George's. These are two shopping malls in Harrow in northwest London. Right whichever one the girl I was dating wanted to go to. Yeah, whichever, all right, So that's a good one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was actually saying again to shout out this area in London. Its northwest London. We have all the best jays. We have Jay Sean, j Paul and Jayshay. It's the Holy Trinity, man, it's the Holy Brown Trinity.
Speaker 2: And then we have Risen de Patel.
Speaker 1: Yes, we're also there holding on a fort Rainer's Lane, Sudbury Town. So but it's interesting. It's this kind of little pocket corner of the world. There's recuper multicultural, you know. Because of that, I think it's like a real creative hotbed and you get some interesting stuff happening here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Anthony Joshua from exactly from what for? Yeah, exactly. Sitting down with you is like it is sitting down with an old friend. Like it feels that way because the schools you went to, the people we grow up around, friends and family. But Riz, you've been amazing to talk to you today. Honestly, this is an absolute honor. This is beyond my expectations to get your openness, your honesty, your vulnerability. The show Bait is a winner already. Can't wait for more people to watch it. I can't wait for you. I mean, I know you've got Digger coming out this year. You've got you know, Hamlet that's out already, Like it's I feel like, you know, just keeps becoming more and more your year for actually putting out real expression. I appreciate you trying to receive it. There we go, h thank you, appreciate you. But we end every interview with the final five. These questions have to be answered in one sentence maximum. Oh God, here we go. So, Riz, these are your final five, brought to you by State Farm. The first question is, what is the best advice you've ever heard or received. Idris Elba once said to me, categorize yourself, not explain.
Speaker 1: I'd hear a glass ceiling in my career in the UK. He was like, you should go to America. I'm like, bro, well they're gonna do with a guy like me over there. You don't do nothing. I'm this, They don't have that, they have that. I'm not this anyway. Categorize yourself, not my friend. And actually when you do that, you're doing other people's work for them. It's about the limitations people placed on you, how we internalize them, and then we perpetuate that narrative and going I'm this, this is my lane, I'm this flavor. There's so many different sides to who you are. I told him that recently and he was like, I was like, bro, you remember that conversation.
Speaker 2: He was like, nah, don't memory of that. I was like, great, thanks well bro.
Speaker 1: But in's those throwaway moments right when people kind of like see you differently to how you used to being seen.
Speaker 2: Did you feel that, like, was that hard? I know the representation conversations ever played. I know those conversations have happened of just like you know, making it as a brown man in Hollywood. You've done that, but what is the reality of that? Because we say that and then you're like, well, wait a minute, Actually, no, I haven't done that because I.
Speaker 1: Think that there's a reality that for women, for people of color, for people who are differently abled, there is a lot more resistance. I definitely do feel like sometimes I have to work, you know, twice as hard to get half as far. But I'm also kind of starting to feel like that gives my journey more meaning to me. But I know for a fact also for many others, you know, and that actually I think more and more friction is what gives life.
Speaker 2: It's meaning.
Speaker 1: You know, you order mean on delivery, it does not taste the same as you've taken that time to cook that for yourself, shout delivery. I'm not saying that I don't do that, but I'm just kind of like, I just feel like it's what's given my journey. It's it's meaning for me and I know for others, So I wouldn't change it. I think for long time i'd say I wish I could swap that out, wish I could make that different, But I don't feel that way anymore.
Speaker 2: What advice would you give to someone who is a person of color, differently abled, who is a woman agenda that may have any of these experiences, what would you say to them? Because I think the bitterness, the pain, the rejection real is real. It's real, it's justified, it's not imagined. I don't want to gas like anyone who's going through that. It's hard. I would say, you know, my experience is like the gift and the curse are usually the same thing. You Losing your voice has made you so conscious of what you're communicating and how and the words you're choosing. There's so many examples I can think of in my own journey where the thing that I thought was blocking me, if I just leaned into it, it could unlock something. And I would say to all of those people, the thing about you is different is an obstacle in certain ways, but it's also the key, and I would say, lean into the specificity of your experience of who you are. You know, I went to Oxford University and felt very out of place there on many different levels. And my experience there taught me something, which is actually because I was thinking about quitting after the first month, I was like what the hell am I doing here? Kind of had a mental health kind of breakdown almost over there and felt super depressed, super kind of like an alien. But I kind of feel like now, the place where you stick out if you can, if you can find a support, if it doesn't hurt you, the place that you stick out is a place where you should kind of stick it out. You have an opportunity of changing the temperature in that room, of bringing other people into that room. I love that, man. Yeah, it reminds me of the stoic statement of the obstacle is the way, oh right, idea of like the obstacle is the way. There is no other way, and so that obstacle, whether it's how you set up, or your background or your uniqueness. Yeah, all right. The question number two, what is the worst advice you've ever heard or received? It was one of the first casting directors I ever met, said, hey, nice to me. Just be careful about your eyes. You can look at a bit of a psychopath. Sometimes because I do this, I get excited and I start going to this. I want to watch this interview back. I did it there.
Speaker 1: I sometimes this my wife, Am I doing the crazy eyes? She goes stop think, don't think about the crazy eyes. Okay, but it just made me very self conscious and actually weirdly, I remember for a couple of years after that, I was acting like this and everything. Go and watch some of my stuff from like the early odds bro. I'm like, that's brilliant, very good. I have big eyes, I can be, I get animated. It's I've got to, you know, learn to try and lean into that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I love that. Question Number three, you mentioned your wife a few times. What's been the biggest lesson that you've learned from your wife? When I see the path that my wife has been on, how she's had to fight every step of the way, the dedication, the devotion it has taken for her to tell her story with such specificity and reach the world with it, I think I've kind of understood what devotion means. Devotion to her path, her creativity is a kind of prayer, is a kind of devotion. Devotion, and seeing how she is with our child, I think she just operates from like a deep place, you know. I think the biggest thing she's taught me that And also, you can never buy enough phone charges. She will take them all and lose them all, you know, they say, is the way that the first thing about someone that you find cute ends up being the thing that's like kill me.
Speaker 1: Now. We actually met because she had lost her phone charge. No, I was in a cafe in New York a laptop charger. I was in a cafe in New York, just writing a script or whatever. She came in on the phone laptops only on the communal table. She sits down opposite me, pulls out her laptop, starts emptying out her bag looking for her charger. It's like chaos, And I was like, can I help you? Do you want to borrow my charger? After six years of marriage, Bro, that hasn't changed. She's still borrowing my charger.
Speaker 2: Now. I'm trying to hide the charger from her. Did she know? She was like, no, No, I might have thought that maybe for a minute. Now that I know her, I just know it's like a vortex of chargers. No.
Speaker 1: But I'm just kind of trying to downplay it and choke around. But I think, you know what my wife has taught me so much. But the word that comes to my mind is devotion, devotion to a purpose, to a journey, yeah, to your path.
Speaker 2: I love that, man. Beautiful answer question number four, what do you pray to God for today?
Speaker 1: I went to Mecca recently, and you do this thing where you kind of try and pray for everyone you know by name, and I started realizing that everything ends up kind of cohering around like three basic ideas.
Speaker 2: I pray for people's health. I pray for people's ability to provide for themselves and their loved ones in a way that allows them to have dignity and feel good about it. And the third thing that I always pray for everyone is for them to be brought closer to their purpose. And I say, God, bring me close to my purpose, because that's the way of bringing me closer to myself as you intend, and also closer to you your purpose. I think your path is something that is extremely personal but also divine, and so alignment to our path to our purpose. There's this phrase in Islam that set out delmustrine, which is the straight path, and people interpret that in different ways, but for me, it's about finding your path, the path that's intended for you. So yeah, man, your health, your rosie rot, your ability to provide, and your path. Have you been in Mecca before is that the first time.
Speaker 1: No. I went once when I was fifteen, but it was a different experience. I went older and actually from a more spiritually skeptical place. You know how life throws you around and you kind of ask questions. And we went this December, and both me and my wife were when with openness, and I would say, you know, we are Muslim and we have spirituality in our lives, but we also feel often the organized religion and a way that it's used is definitely brought some skepticism into our hearts as well. And going there was incredible, and I would say it was actually just a physical act of walking around in a circle with all these people from all over the world, everyone dressed the same, everyone's mask kind of stripped away. There's just such a sense of oneness there. It was really kind of beautiful, and I promised myself I got try and bor all this feeling. But of course, as soon as you're on that plane, you're like back on your phone.
Speaker 2: But that was it was powerful. Yeah, it's interesting as you were talking about that, because I've been thinking about this idea a lot, about how modern society has made everything about upwards and forwards, and actually when you look at spiritual traditions, everything's circumamulating, beautiful, and even in India, when you go to a holy place, you you circle it, or in a wedding when you go there, everything circlear. And so when you start looking at life that way versus that way, I love it. It's just a fascinating like mindset shift of like, oh, what if we saw life as cyclical and not as linear and everything we just talked about today.
Speaker 1: I love what you're saying. I think of it as a spiral. A spiral, yeah, yeah, yeah, because you kind of retread the same ground in life, but hopefully from a more elevated perspective each time. I like that, you know, and epiphany kind of works in that way as well. And those leaps that you have of understanding, they're usually kind of not by going to it, by retracing your steps, yeah, and feeling different or wanting something to feel different.
Speaker 2: I like the ascension aspect that you just added. That's not just round and around and around. It's sure, so there is some ascension which is which is beautiful. Fifth and final question we asked this every guest who's ever been on the show I'm really excited for your answer. You can think about it for as long as you want. If you could create one law that everyone in the world had to follow, what would it be. I want to be off my phone more, but we're all locked in because everyone's on their phone. I'll put it down if everyone else does. I just want everyone to be off their phone, everyone to go back to dumb phones. And here's why.
Speaker 1: I go through periods of time where I put my phone away totally. I put it in a little safe and I lock it away for like twelve hours or twenty hours or you know, before we had a kid, me and my wife would go away and she as a novelist. She has to do that kind of deep work. You know, you can't kind of dip in and out of it the way she does, at least she can't, And so the phone would go away for like five days. We'd like check into our hotel, give it to them and say we'll take this mom and check out. Time feels totally different. My experience of the day feels totally different. The thoughts in my mind are totally different. I'm a little bit closer to being obsessed with the velcrobe on the shoe again.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean. I would love to just do that.
Speaker 1: I don't know what that means about this show though, Okay, who gets to see it. Maybe we'll have certain just certain hours in the day we can all go back.
Speaker 2: That's answer. I love it. I feel like that's that's atle risamored, bait, excited for everything that comes from this day. I hope we stay in touch. Yeah, it must have been such a joy to do this with you, and I hope you felt you got to share everything and anything you wanted to talk. Absolutely, and thank you for creating the space for me and for other people. It's a very enriching space and empowering one where we can just be vulnerable in that way and share. So thank you, thank you, thank you. If you're feeling inspired by this episode, you won't want to miss my conversation with Wicked's Cynthia Arrivo. We are afraid to let a person go, and we need to be okay with things people go.
Speaker 1: We don't know what path people are walking on when they walk into our lives. We might just be a stepping stone in their path, just like stepping stones in their life