Speaker 1: First of all, you don't know me.
Speaker 2: All about that.
Speaker 3: High school drama, Girl Drama, Girl, all about them high school queens. We'll take you for a ride, and our comic girl sharing for the right teams, Drama, Queens of Girl Fashion, which you'll tough.
Speaker 4: Girl, you could sit with us, Girl Drama, Queens Drama, Queise Drama, Queens Drama, Drama, Queens Drama, Queens.
Speaker 5: Hey, guys, welcome back. Oh my gosh, it's season five. It's the premiere of season five. Four years later, everything's different.
Speaker 6: Understatement of the year.
Speaker 5: I know, like I wish we had had a lot more Internet back then because it would have been really fun to see. I know there were message boards, but it would have been fun to see like Twitter for example, our Instagram, you know, and there's just to really feel the crowd reaction because back then we were like, we're gonna try this thing.
Speaker 7: I hope it works, and you know, we can.
Speaker 5: Sort of guess that people liked it, but I bet there are a lot of fans out there who were calling each other and writing I don't know what do people do back then?
Speaker 7: Message boards again.
Speaker 6: Well, because there's so many misdirects. It was an episode of just like nope, nope, you didn't guess that right, Try again, kids.
Speaker 2: They did it so well. This was this was one of those where you go ooh. You know, they had all summer to think about how they were going to do this. They didn't have to turn over an episode in a week. They had a whole hiatus, and they really got in there with every little detail. And it's it's so fun now, knowing everything we know, to see this and realize that they left so many unanswered questions, you know, not only until the end of the episode, but even still the audience still doesn't know who Victoria is.
Speaker 8: I know, I was surprised at that.
Speaker 5: I thought for sure that was coming out at the end of the episode like okay mother or something so cool.
Speaker 6: Oh, we're talking about season five, episode one. Four years, six months, two days. I guess. I didn't realize this air in January. Normally our show would air in the fall, like September, right, and so this was a later premiere. It gave us more time to, I guess, work on this new approach. But yeah, that's strange.
Speaker 2: We did this have to do with the writer's strike?
Speaker 6: Oh there was a writer strike. It happened in this season.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're right, so remember because they were scrambling to turn in episodes ahead of the strike hitting so that we could keep filming when other people were going to have to halt. But I think because of there was a gap at some point. I do remember we had like a couple of weeks off before the strike ended. We'd run out of episodes, and so I think they might have they might have held the premiere until the winter so that there wouldn't be a gap once we started airing. It's fuzzy, but I do remember the strike being part of this.
Speaker 7: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 6: I remember the strike in the library episode because there was a suggested line change that I didn't want to do, and I was like, no one can tell me to do anything different. Because for you guys at home, we're actually dealing with the writer's strike right now in our industry. But let's explain what a writer's strike means to anybody who's not in our business.
Speaker 2: Well, the writers, Just so y'all know, when you see that there's a writer on an episode, you know there is a there is a creator and a showrunner of a show. So the person who has the idea and who writes the pilot script and who essentially comes up with the whole world that your show's going to take place in. Sometimes, if those are young writers who have a great idea, they hire another showrunner who's more experienced to help them learn and make sure the show runs smoothly. But then they build a whole writer's room, so there's a full staff of writers and there are writers' assistants, and the room breaks story together. They come up with ideas, They board you know, half a season or a season at a time, and they start to figure out where all of these storylines are going to go. And then there's usually a writer or a pair of writers who get assigned to break away and do the first draft of the script which has been outlined by everyone, while everyone continues to move on with the rest of the season's work. So it's this really cool kind of cyclical space where they're juggling all the ideas and you know, they really help us craft these universes. We can't do it without them. And I'm sure you know this will be lost on no when you're all on the internet, you see that the studios are making record breaking profits every year for like five years running, and the writers are getting paid less and less their time in the room, which means the weeks that they have a salary is getting shortened. A lot of writers who are showrunners are being told they have to write their shows with scale ten teams, meaning they get like three or four writers in support instead of twelve to fifteen. It's it's unsustainable and it's unfair, and you know, I want everybody to do well and make money. But if executives are making two hundred million dollar bonuses at the end of the year and writers can't afford to pay their rent, we have a problem. So we would love to be working, but we would love for our writers to get treated fairly more so, strike baby, strike man.
Speaker 6: I mean anytime the industry makes like a big shift. If you guys have been watching our show since it's been on the air, it went from just airing once a week to there was TVO and you could record it, and then it was on soap Net, so we got residuals. But when new technology happens, like when Netflix happens or streaming or any of these new platforms happen, our unions have to catch up with how we can get paid for the work that we've already done. And so I love that we've got you know, unions to go and fight for us to do that. So we love to support to that well.
Speaker 2: And I think it's important too to remind people, you know. I actually it was such an interesting moment. I responded to somebody on Twitter years ago about this and I went, oh, we do need to talk about how we all work, like in all the industries. We need to kind of take the mystery out. It was you guys, remember when Alan Pompeo signed her huge deal for Grey's Anatomy. Yeah, and she was like on the cover of every magazine and they were like, she's going to make twenty million dollars a year, and like, that's crazy, you guys. Ninety nine percent of people with SAG cards have second jobs because it's hard to make a living as an actor and people there were some people who were really mad about it. And I saw something somebody said and I just responded and said, look like, not to be angsty, but all that this means is that she's participating in the profits she's creating, and that show is worth billions of dollars a year to ABC. So if you think about it, she's actually not even making that much money, like she's just getting some percentage of what she's helped to create. But the interesting thing is you start to realize, like this stuff is really valuable. And it's just like you know, if you go work at a startup and you get stock, you participate if that company becomes Google, and you should because you helped build it.
Speaker 5: Shows like Montree Hill or Dawson's Creek or Grey's Anatomy which started before streaming. Our contracts were all negotiated based on the idea of residuals, and you know that we would be sharing in the profits that we are participating in creating based on things that re air on TV. It works, except now there aren't residuals because it's all streaming, so it's not being reshown on Most shows are not being reshown on network TV. Most people don't even watch network TV anymore. It's all digital. So it's it has been confusing, and yeah, when you look at like at the Allen Pompeo deal, it's it sounds crazy, but it based on what they're.
Speaker 7: Making on streaming now.
Speaker 5: And because she can't negotiate a contract on residuals.
Speaker 7: It's just a whole new format.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and to your point, Joy, what it means for our friends at home is this idea of residuals again, is if you sell.
Speaker 7: Our work or you're making an invention, get.
Speaker 2: Something out of Yes, the collective and by the way, the studios always make the most and the showrunner always makes the most. But you know it's supposed to be something like I've gotten residual checks for six dollars.
Speaker 6: Oh girl, Yeah that eighty three cent check. Eight.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you're you're like tweet.
Speaker 2: Till it's over a dollar because you're wasting the stamp.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, please direct deposit.
Speaker 2: The trick of streaming is that shows will go and get sold as a package for a lot a lot of money, and everyone who made that show, except for like maybe the Big Boss, doesn't get any of it. And it's weird to think that, like your work, your time, and your face is being bought and sold and you have no say or.
Speaker 6: Well if that isn't Brooke Davis's storyline, Yeah, that's right, you know, Joy, give us the synopsis of this episode, because I do like that we're talking about the business side of things, because that's what was happening in real life. There was so much crossover between real life and our characters' stories as this season began. Yeah, for sure, we all kind of felt great upon a very meta episode.
Speaker 5: What happened Joike Definitely four years after the season four finale, Tree Hill is well, it's the same, but we are all in a new place. Lucas is a struggling writer who's about to embark on a new coaching career with skills. Peyton is at the beginning of a budding music venture or at the end of Yeah who knows something, while Brooks fashion line is at a crossroads. Meanwhile, Nathan and Haley are young parents trying to find their way. I don't know that this synopsis is entirely accurate. It feels like it's missing a lot.
Speaker 6: It's part of the misdirects. It's part of the mislead.
Speaker 2: I feel like whoever wrote this synopsis it had like three glasses of wine and was like, I don't know.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Nan and Haley are like struggling. It's tough, guys, it's top bad.
Speaker 6: All Nathan does is make misses for Haley to clean up. I would be yeah, Dune joy. What was going on in your real life at this point and were there any parallels between like you and what Haley was experiencing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I was really unhappy. I was I was married, but in a situation that I just did not It wasn't It wasn't good. I mean, anybody who gets divorced there's always a reason. So it wasn't a good situation. And I had a lot of a lot of anger and frustration that I didn't really have a place to put it. And so in a way, this storyline was really cathartic for me because I had a space. I had a safe space to be sad and angry and not get judged for it. So yeah, I was really kind of grateful that I ended up having this emotional time. And it was fun as an actor too, you know, as much as it was cathartic, it was also like, wow, I get to dig my teeth into something.
Speaker 6: I mean, yeah, when you would cut eyes at Nathan, just be like not today, mother, Like yeah, it felt real. It felt.
Speaker 2: You were drawing from a deep well.
Speaker 8: I was.
Speaker 7: I was indeed with I don't know why I cut my hair, but.
Speaker 6: The haircut was great. The haircut was great, and I love any hair rebellion that the three of us staged on our show.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 7: We had a lot of hair rebellion.
Speaker 6: Oh man, I got so many notes about my hair at the beginning of season five. They're like, it's disgusting Hilary with your two tone hair.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I loved this hair.
Speaker 6: The stark contrast in the hair they totally flipped out over. But back to Haley, I love that the narrative of keeping up appearances is part of her story because that is something that we were having to do in our real life, is just keepop appearances, and Haley is putting a lot of energy into that.
Speaker 2: I will say too, I liked I liked the contrast that you chose with that haircut because at the end of season four, like we're all we're little kids, we're embarking on the world. You had this long, like fairytale hair, and we come back and there's something serious about you. Time has passed. She's a young professional. You know you're you're about to embark on having your own classroom. And I loved that. I went, oh, yeah, I would buy that. That's my teacher. Sure, she might be the new one, the new teacher, the young teacher. But she's look at that like sassy, professional woman.
Speaker 7: You know, yeah, yeah, very practical.
Speaker 2: It felt cool. I think it would be harder to have a teacher with like a gorgeous mermaid go out to be like where did you come from? But this little bob is like it's chic lady, you know.
Speaker 6: And I love that Jamie's in the classroom with you, like, you know, I've taken my kids every single job I've ever done, whether it's working at the candy store or on set or whatever. And I I remember going to my dad's office as a kid, like going to work with your parent build such a strong bond. And I like that we're seeing Haley include him as we're getting to meet this little rascal. Let's talk about them.
Speaker 8: What a cute little face.
Speaker 5: I love.
Speaker 6: They had plenty of shots of just straight on of his.
Speaker 5: Cute little It was great. He was such a sweetheart. He was always he was really smart and really intuitive and you know, good, good at paying attention and taking direction, and it was just like a sweet kid. He wasn't a bratt at all, which I think was part of the casting process. Like, didn't they intentionally meet the kid's family or so. I can't remember exactly what it was, but there was something about, like, if this kid's going to be a part of the show for another however long we run, we have to make sure that we're not hiring a little brat. So there was some sort of process involved in that, but I got it right.
Speaker 6: Well, do you remember the table read, because we never did table reads. We just never had the time.
Speaker 7: We never made the time.
Speaker 6: If we had one at the beginning of the season, that was a big deal, And we definitely had one for this because I remember Jamie, not Jamie Jackson who plays Jamie, sitting at the end of the table, and everybody's attention was just on this kid, and it was almost like kind of vine for his attention, Like when there's a puppy and you're all calling it by different names to see who it goes to. We're like, I fell up, hey, buddy.
Speaker 2: It was just so sweet, and it was sweet to have an embodiment of this new time in our show in Jackson because we'd only had our summer hiatus, which you know, by this point we're doing twenty four episodes a season. It was like a blip. It was so quick, and to come back and be figuring out, you know, who are these people and how have they changed and how have they grown? And there was so much you know, you said it, Hillary, It felt really meta. Everything each one of us as women was doing on screen really reflected what was happening in our personal lives. And to have this little boy who we got to teach and who really made the show feel different because we've never had to get around before.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was a very cool.
Speaker 2: Thing that not only he was as a character, but that he represented physically being in the space.
Speaker 6: I also like that he understood that less is more. I mean he's not even acting. He is looking at you and really looking at you and saying his words and meaning them. And there are a lot of child actors who will overdo it and kind of do like the vaudeville version, the Macaulay cull Again. Yeah, and yeah, he's just earnest. He's so earnest in his delivery of what can be very scathing observations, like when he tells Lucas like you need to get back to work on your book, you know, and maybe he's like, I think you drink too much is my favorite line of the whole episode. Yes, yeah, yeah, he got it. It was weird having a kid around. Though.
Speaker 5: We started a curse jar, didn't we There was like a ghostar on set.
Speaker 2: And we don't kind of got a salty Jackson's college fund.
Speaker 6: Jackson's college fund, that's right.
Speaker 8: I wonder if he ever actually got that cash.
Speaker 2: I can't remember when it happened, but like, at first you had to put a dollar in the curse jar, and then it got to a point where it just it didn't seem to matter enough, and then it was five dollars and yeah, they get a point. I won't I won't totally drag the boys. I shan't say who, but with one of the boys, they were like, your fee is twenty dollars, stop it top.
Speaker 6: I don't think I ever participated in the jar because everyone has low expectations for me and children. Yeah, but I remember Paul like just wrote like a one hundred dollars check or something like Paul made a large donation one day all moved front. Yeah, and it was just like put it on my tab. Sorry, kid, you came into a grown up world. It's weird as a parent seeing this little face now, because when we shot it, I was like, oh, yeah, it's a kid working, no big deal. But Jackson is like the age of like my daughter, you know, he was I want to say, he was like six or seven playing four.
Speaker 7: Yeah that's right.
Speaker 6: George is five, but like approximately the same size. And I'm looking at this little face and I'm like, I can't imagine taking my daughter to work in a million years. Yeah, it's such a I don't know, it's such a weird deal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess it's just such a specific I don't know if calling is the right work as you're six.
Speaker 6: How do you know?
Speaker 7: It's just sort of like an interest.
Speaker 5: I guess, like if yeah, a kid that has a hobby and they're in the right place at the right time, and the parent has time and is willing to participate in this hobby, okay, you know why not. And there's so many rules that to protect the kids in the union, you know, for learning and all that kind of stuff, that it worked out.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, him having a you know, a Teatron set and these these shortened hours where you're allowed to work. So sometimes you know, for again, for our friends at home, you're getting all the business end today. Sometimes we'd run out of time with Jackson and they'd have to put a c stand with a tennis ball like in the corner, and we'd have to act to it.
Speaker 6: Remember the stand in that would be on their knees, and we'd have got a stand in on their knees. I wonder if anybody ever took a photo of that.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 5: There has to be someone taking a photo of that out there somewhere there is.
Speaker 6: I hope that's so good.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you know, it's a it's a wild thing, and I think as an adult, it really kind of hit me. You know, what Brooke is saying about her work in this episode is, look, the work isn't enough. You act like my life is you know, fancy and all these things, but it's it's all work. It's all an illusion. Like, yeah, I'm going to Italy, but it's to work. I'm going to get off a plane and go into an office and then get back on a plane. Yeah I'm going to a premier, but I'm not even seeing the movie. I'm doing the thing and giving the interview and then leaving and taking meetings. And I liked that there was a way to represent the sort of harsh reality of what can look shiny out in public with her, because I know we had all begun to feel that, and especially for me, I was really struggling with having to leave my whole life and just pick up and move. And some people enjoy it, and you know, just personally for me, like leaving my parents and my best friends and missing babies and weddings and things, I really have a hard time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And.
Speaker 2: I remember that feeling of Jackson coming to work what you're saying, Hillary, like how does a kid go and meeting his mom and his other siblings, and they had all moved as a family unit, and I just thought like, oh God, maybe that'll make it easier for him, know, like, maybe that'll help him. Maybe it won't be so weird because his whole family gets to be here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And it is.
Speaker 2: It's a it's such a gift, and it's hard. It's all the things. And I just remember how concerned we all were with this little person being in this environment and thinking like, how do we help make sure it's good for him? Because we now know the parts of it that are really tricky and the parts of it that are really such a privilege, and I remember that being such a concern, and I thought that it was so special that all of us had that vibe. And it turned very quickly into like, how are we going to protect the protector child protect their child joy?
Speaker 6: Had you like babysat much? Had you spent much time with kids that you like weren't related to.
Speaker 7: No, No, No, I didn't.
Speaker 5: I mean I like kids, like I just never a babysat a little in high school, but no, I was just always yeah, I think other than high school babysitting. I was living in New York, I was working on a soap. I was busy, I was great, you know, I just and I didn't have i mean friends my age and at that time they didn't have kids, so and my family was none of my cousins had kids. Well, my family's pretty spread out. So no, I didn't, did you, did you?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I mean yeah, I was like, it's the babysitting and I have three younger siblings, so I've like been around kids my whole life. Yeah, but if that's like one of the first times that you're interacting and now you have to have an immediate bond with this child.
Speaker 5: It wasn't hard because the kids just respond to being treated like kids respond to being treated like a human, like with respect and you know, listen to you and and I guess because of my imagination, I and my under and enjoyment of childlike wonder, it was easy for me to get down on his level and tell me I want to hear all about it. And I think that's also being an actor. We empathize, so it's like if I'm talking to an adult, I know how to interact, I can relate that way. But with a kid, there's a They're looking at the world a different way, and so I want to get into their world and see things the way they see them. So it was it was easy with Jackson. And he was also very mature for he really was, I guess, yeah, So I don't know. I just think with kids, you just sort of talk to him like a grown up, except for when they can't understand grown up stuff, and you know, sometimes they need to feel a little like, oh, things are exciting.
Speaker 6: Well, remember like all the Santa conversations, like we all had to like code everything, you guys, because we don't know, like what does he think? What is he like? A, whoa, it's somebody else's kid. You don't know what level he's on with like tooth fairies and easter bunnies and things to.
Speaker 2: Totally it was so fun like there was also to your point, he infused wonder into the space. Yeah, and I mean for me, you know, similarly to you Hill. I didn't have younger siblings or anything, but I babysat all the kids in the neighborhood. There were two little boys right at the end of my street who I watched like it felt like every day after school. It was probably a couple of days a week, you know, they were They were just like my whole little universe as a camp counselor every summer. And now we had this kid on set and it was like so exciting. I remember there was a there was a time. It might not have been season five, maybe it was in season six.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's a blur because I just think of Jackson being little. But like I remember, we heard there was a sale at best Buy and like me and Lee and James went and got Wee's.
Speaker 6: Oh I remember the big wee things. Oh yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: So whoever was watching Jackson, we could like everybody could either come over or we would all have this same games. And then it turned into like we like tennis tournaments with him, and and I've never had a video game console as an adult, but suddenly we had a kid on set, and so we all turned into kids.
Speaker 6: Hey, I got the Wii. I was down, and it was purely for that child. It was just like, I'm never going to play this by myself, but we might have a six year old over. You guys, we have a guest with us today who was a party of this big five year jump and was actually with us before the jump, but was living kind of the same weird mix of fact and fiction. You've heard us talk about her a lot. We know her as Lassiter. Is it stone now?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 6: Stone's her maid name.
Speaker 7: So there's Stone.
Speaker 6: She's last at her stone now, which isn't even sexier name? Oh I mean yes, yeah, So let's bring Lastedter in here, because she lived with us. This is the This was the girl that put up with us at four o'clock in the morning and also made sure we got into bed. Lassener was our camp counselor you no kidding blassitter? Oh my god, exactly the same same.
Speaker 1: Oy my glasses. I was multitasking and working while I was waiting Heid.
Speaker 6: What's on?
Speaker 8: My gosh, it's great to see you.
Speaker 6: Oh y'all. How fun y'all. Lassener is She is the tallest, blondest Southern queen and we were so lucky to have her with us on set. Lesser you explained to everybody, but what your job was on One Tree Hill?
Speaker 1: Happy to do it, Hillary, Here we go let me really get into it here. No, I'm glad you asked.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: So I I started as the as a PA, a set PA, which is production assistant. You work in the AD department assistant director and uh you you know you do it all right?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 1: How you know? How how self deprecating should I get?
Speaker 6: I know, it's such an understatement.
Speaker 5: It's a job where, like anything that somebody asks you for, your answer is yes, and then you just figure out how to get it.
Speaker 1: Or do it or do it or I mean, you know, y'all cracking me up in these episodes talking about I mean, sof with the stories about talking to the people who own the houses like on like when we're on location and having to go be like hey, turn off that leaf blower or change job, please help us please? Oh my gosh. I mean I would go out and stop traffic, like, yes, stop, I mean, why would they listen to me? I had a walkie talkie and like a fanny pack and a bunch of shops.
Speaker 5: I sent you because you were so tall and so blonde and so tan, and it was You're like a vision. Anywhere that you went, it was like people just stopped and stared. So of course they sent you to stop drafting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you kind of scramble people's brains. You're very tall and authoritative, so you're intimidating, but also you're gorgeous, so they want to be your friend, and they're just like.
Speaker 8: A You're so friendly. It's like, what do I do with this?
Speaker 1: Please stop walking through the shot we're filming. Yeah, I had no authority whatsoever, So PA stuff. When you start out, you know, you're kind of just doing You're keeping it, you're keeping stuff moving, you're helping every department. You're the liaison between the director and the crew and the cast. And then on you know, on One Tree Hill, when you're working episodic, you kind of work your way up. So that first year so I started season two. Very first episode of season two, I'd never heard of this show. We didn't have the CW and Richmond, Okay, I had no clue.
Speaker 6: You didn't have the whole channel. You're just like, we don't want those.
Speaker 7: I know so many people back then that didn't have a CW.
Speaker 6: They're like, oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, y'all.
Speaker 1: My my aunt they I think we had the WB maybe, but they weren't running the show during primetime at all. My aunt Elsie used to tape it with the VHS at one am. It ran at one am. Enriched what she would tape it for me and to show my mom and like my brothers, like see what Lassiter was working.
Speaker 6: On, or sometimes ce Lassiter. We loved seeing you in the elevator of the hospital one episode kill me.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Yes, I have a confession. I can see myself getting read. I have a little confession. I had never watched the show good.
Speaker 8: That's well, we haven't really either.
Speaker 5: I mean, so you're in a good company. This is our first way through it.
Speaker 1: So honestly, I've never seen a full episode. And when like DMed me about the shout out in the podcast about the elevator, I went back and watched it and I was like, oh my god, not only is it fully me, but like I'm wearing like a ratty T shirt.
Speaker 6: Listen, everybody has to go to the hospital.
Speaker 1: I'm in the background of a lot of episodes, mostly holding my ear like this, trying to hide my earpiece. Walk go countercross to the background. But yeah, I mean a PA does a lot of stuff. I started at the bottom, you know, coming in a couple of days a week on season two, and then by season three, uh, I got a sign to base camp. Yeah, which is you know, back with you guys. That was one of my most fun fun seasons.
Speaker 6: You were the best in base camp because Alex Astapey would get mad at us anytime we asked for stuff, right, but I love Alex so much. I love Yeah. I mean it takes a lot to be a base camp PA, because you're dealing with not only the crew and what's happening it on set, but with all the actors who are a nightmare and oh yeah, lassiter you just were such a good sport and like in a good mood all the time, so it forced all of us to be like, okay, fine, will be.
Speaker 1: Well, you guys were so sweet, you know. I mean my friends used to ask me questions. Season three was really fun for me to be back there with you guys, and not only you guys, but you know Jojo, Yeah, come on, oh I heard it. Don't you work? And Hillary? Dang if you didn't talk about that serpentarian story.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, lassiter LASSI was at the serpentarium when there was a snake attack.
Speaker 5: You know that.
Speaker 1: I'm still terrified, Yeah, like terrified. You guys are so funny, yeah, Jojo, I mean that was just really fun to like just be back there with you guys, and you all were so gracious and just really sweet. There was never you know, my friends used to say, like, you know, what's it like, like are they you know, how is it everybody? How's the cast? I'm like, they're awesome. They're our age, they're fun. We all hang out and they're really sweet, like they're going through the same things we are. So I feel like season three was really a nice I don't know, it felt it was. That was a nice year. It was really fun stressful job. It was a really stressful job.
Speaker 2: There's so much you have to manage because you know, again, friends at home like when Lassitter talks about running base Camp. She's running the schedules for every single person and every single chair, so hair making special effects, getting all the everyone timed in exactly right, so the chairs are never empty and everyone's ready on time, and people go back to change when somebody else is getting makeup done and she's making sure. You know, it's a huge machine. Yeah, you managed to make it so fun. I will never forget the day. I don't know if you remember this, but I obviously will never forget it when I came back to base camp, because you guys would always like some days I'd come back from set and it would like make me want to cry because it was so sweet. You got like you and one other person or you and Jojo would be out waiting on us to you know, finish a scene, and you'd have Patch and Penny out and like a tennis ball and the dogs be running around, and I was just like, oh my god, they're really nice to us and they like my dogs.
Speaker 1: And I forgot about the dogs.
Speaker 2: Yes, the sweet babes. And there was one day where I came back and we had just been it was like a slap happy day, and I opened my trailer door, and Patch wasn't in there, and I went into hair because Jojo would take him in the trailer, and you guys were all in there, just like slamming coffees, and Kelly Jefferson had drawn eyebrows on Patch like this full makeup, Oh my gosh, and put him Jojo had put him in a blonde wig. And you just looked at me like, is she gonna think this is funny? Or is she going to be mad? And I died like I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe. And it's like that stuff that I remember almost more than anything Patch.
Speaker 1: I forgot about Patch. I'm not gonna lie. Yeah, yes, Patch, you all were.
Speaker 6: It was so fun.
Speaker 1: We had a good you know, we had a good time, and I was always I took my job very seriously as a PA. I feel like Hillary, Hillary knows you had a very serious department.
Speaker 6: You all lived at my house like you lived. You were like a block away for a while. I was like on third Street. You were on fourth Street.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fourth and none.
Speaker 5: But the PA has to take their job seriously, the whole ad department. I mean, the show will production will fall apart if the if the ad Department's not on.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you said that. Joy like it really is. You know, it was a big deal and at first I didn't quite understand. And you know, I'm kind of like, okay, I'm running. You know, I didn't. I was a film major in college. I knew I wanted to go into production and you know, do something like this. And I'm from Richmond, so I always knew about screen gyms videos in Wilmington. And you know, I got the job. Again, had never heard of the show because it was only the first season.
Speaker 6: Did you get it right out of college?
Speaker 1: So so right out? So I went to University of Alabama, Hillary, where I first met you.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, Alabama Homecoming MTV.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, MTV.
Speaker 6: You and Laala just killing it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Hillary and I were like destined to be connected somehow. It's so bizarre. My first internship as a film student at Alabama was for MTV and Hillary came to Tuscaloosa and I was like the PA.
Speaker 6: That trip was wild outcast performed it was awesome.
Speaker 1: Any I feel like I gave you a tour of the Kappa House.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: So then I moved to Telluride, Colorado, where I was working in a snowboard shop and like bartending and just.
Speaker 6: Like, oh yeah, remember that about your coyote ugly summer.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's all right. Whoo. But only I could sing and dance like a non six foot terribly awkward person.
Speaker 2: I've got a lot of photos from all of us karaoke downtown Lasser. I've heard you saying you have not maybe it's a scream saying, but it works, Sophia.
Speaker 1: I have some good photos of us, and like some some really really questionable genes. Oh no, our gene game was so strong.
Speaker 6: God, the early two thousands were brutal on done o oh my god.
Speaker 2: Lastitar, the three of us have talked so much about how in that era just the whole top half of our pants was missing, just missing.
Speaker 1: I know, okay, I need them.
Speaker 2: No, you go back to the work stuff. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So I literally I was, yeah, I was working. I was managing a snowboard chop alternative edge so cool, and I literally had like a sort of a moment where I was like, I'm not doing anything with my degree. I need to figure this out. I had sort of like a you know, not a panic attack, but like, okay, I need to get a real job. And so I cold emailed David Bright Bill.
Speaker 6: Stop so for you guys at home. He was our second AD and that's the person in charge of kind of hiring pas and doing all the scheduling on our show.
Speaker 1: So I emailed and I said, you know, hi, my name's Laster. You know I have this internship one time. I didn't know if there was anything filming. All it was was like a production office email. And I said, you know, I don't even know what job you would hire me for, but entry level bottom. Yeah. He emailed me back the next day and said, we're looking for pas for a new show. Can you get to Wilmington in three days?
Speaker 6: Stop it?
Speaker 1: So I was ready to go, Like I had already figured out that I was going to move back from tell you I had been about a year. I just wanted to do like a year, like a fun year out west and then and so I came home, my mom drove me to Wilmington. Didn't have a house yet, went in for the interview, wore like suit pants probably six three I don't know if you guys remember, like the couch and the.
Speaker 2: Ad office low to the ground.
Speaker 6: It's so low.
Speaker 1: So I come in everyone's wearing like fanny packs and running shoes or short and like a suit and tie. Basically you know, I'm here for the interview, and I couldn't. I remember like going to sit down on the couch and my heels were so high that like my whole body like creaked, and I was like getting down like he was like he was basically like, you know, do you know how to take coffee orders? And I was like sure. So the next day I got the job and I had to find a place to live and that was it. I mean, it all happened in like a week.
Speaker 6: That's crazy. But so many people ask us, how can I get involved in the film industry? How can I get my foot in the door? And that boldness of making the cold call or just sending the email and not knowing exactly what the job is, but being like I'm here to help in any capacity, that is the way to get into the business. Yeah, people want to know that you're flexible.
Speaker 5: And they have to know that they can trust you to be assertive and just take take matters into your own hands. Because a huge part of the creative flow is being able to trust that all the people around you are doing their job and that they don't have to be have their hand held through everything. Like I can trust that somebody else is taking care of a B or C in their department.
Speaker 7: It's it's huge.
Speaker 5: And so even just the fact that you, yeah, did that cold call and came in you're ready and yeah, it makes a big difference.
Speaker 1: I don't. I mean, I didn't know a soul.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I moved there and just started working, and I really didn't have any you know, I didn't have any friends. And Hillary, I don't know if you remember this. I was mortified. So I didn't know what show it was and I didn't know who was on it. And I went in for my first day and I saw Hillary and I was like, oh my god, she's like we did that thing in MTV. Like, is she going to think I'm like following her?
Speaker 7: Yes, that's funny.
Speaker 6: Least letter's playing the long game.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. So then it gets worse. I find a house and I start working, and two days after I'd been on set, I go for a jog and I pass Hillary in her front yard.
Speaker 6: I remember you jogging by the house.
Speaker 1: Gardening and I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 6: No, it's the worst.
Speaker 1: But y'all know how small that downtown is.
Speaker 2: Yeh.
Speaker 6: But it became so convenient because, like the ad department, they don't get to stop work at the end of the day. There's another like two or three hours of plan for the next day. And so either we hung out at the production office and then caravanned home together, or we just did it at my house on the front porch with beers.
Speaker 1: Oh h, we had so many post production meetings at your house.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was great. It was great. But so when was the last season that you were that you were there? How long did you end up staying?
Speaker 1: So I was there from season two to about I think I think it was the end of season five slash beginning of season six. So I left during the writers strike of two thousand and seven.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's what we were just talking about that at the beginning of this episode, because this season ended up airing much later in the year because of the writer's strike.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was trying to do my homework and I went, you know, I went and looked at some dates and you know, watched the episode which is so oh yes, so many memory but yeah, I left during the writer's strike. We all, you know, we all got laid off kind of, and you know, we we I went home to Richmond, which is only a couple you know, a couple hours, and ended up actually uh meaning my now husband. During that downtime, we were doing long distance and the writer straight kind of helped me decide whether or not I wanted to go full force a D like to become a first a D, which is what my goal was for a really really long time, or you know, maybe take a step back and reevaluate. And ultimately it was a really good decision for me because so again for those of you who are interested in this, you know, production world. You work your days as a PA, you get to a certain you know level, you move up, and then the next step is to become an a D and join the DGA. And I got to that level. I got my days, had a little book, and I got had some really good advice from just some people you know that we all know from One Tree Hill. Hey, go talk to some female first ads.
Speaker 6: Well that's what I want to talk to you about, because you know, this whole beginning of season five is all about the women. I mean, the boys too, but like we're all like on these career paths and some of them are working and some of them aren't and lasted or you were the best at your job, Like of everyone, you were the best at it, and it makes me sad that it was an inhospitable environment for you to achieve what you originally thought you wanted too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's funny. In my attic right now, there's still a box of paper call sheets, girl.
Speaker 6: Cause you're gonna come back and like reason when when the kids are grown up, you're like.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I could first remember I have five hundred days on one Tree Hill. Yeah no, but it's no, it's true. And I'm glad you brought that up because I think there are a lot of things in this episode that were so interesting. To close that loop, I got some advice from female first ads in the first thing they said, and I mean, y'all know we were what twenty we're maybe twenty three at twenty four, twenty three, twenty four, you and I are about the same age. Yeah, they said, do you know the first thing they said was do you want to get married? And I was like, well yeah. They were like wow, you probably can if you're going to be a first ad. I mean this was you know, fifteen years ago. It was really hard for women to get this role. But yeah, I just kind of, yeah, I took a step back. I don't know, it was tough. I got some advice saying like, if you want kids and if you want a family, I don't know if this is the right move for you at this moment. Yeah, And I was like, well, crap, what I've been doing for four years?
Speaker 5: Well, you were learning, you were growing, you were figuring out who you are, and that's absolutely valuable. But it isn't all consuming, very demanding job.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but it.
Speaker 1: Was fun, you know, in our in early twenties, it was really fun. We weren't allowed to sit down yet, go go go right, yes, right.
Speaker 6: There was a there was a rule. It's not a rule on every set. And I didn't know that.
Speaker 7: Thing, Like, no, I didn't know that's not a rule on every set.
Speaker 6: It's not a rule on every set. No, pas on other jobs are allowed to sit down. But PA's on One Tree Hill were never allowed to sit down. It's not allowed.
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh, that's wild.
Speaker 1: I mean, my you know, my calves were killer.
Speaker 6: So you obviously you know you have a beautiful family now, but what was the pivot? Like, how did you take the skills that you learned as a PA and apply them to a totally different career path.
Speaker 1: So well, Joyce said a really nice thing a little while ago, just about being able to you know, I don't know apt and pivot and you know, handle situations. So those I speak at a lot of career days, like at my old high school and my kids' schools. Now, I just did career day last week, and I still I talk about how the things I learned on One Tree Hill have translated perfectly into what I'm doing now, which is advertising, which is a weird It's kind of a weird turn.
Speaker 6: That's so cool.
Speaker 1: How So, so when I first when I first moved back to Richmond, I got a job in post production at an audio editing like a recording studio in Richmond. Oh cool, and Joy, I'll never forget. I have to tell a funny story about you. It was like my the first month there, and all of a sudden, my phone rings and like I had left Wilmington, I'm in Richmond, and I get a call from Joy and I used to get calls a lot from like Brookman.
Speaker 6: Ah, Maddie Yeah, and Jadik and all.
Speaker 1: Those guys like Chris. They would all call me and like prank me during my during my office job. And I feel like you were like driving through Virginia and you called me and you were like Lass, like I'm lost in Virginia and I need directions. And I was like, joy, I have no idea where you are, but I have a job. And you were like, I'm so happy for you, Like you were so sweet, but it was like Virginia and so you just gave me a call like maybe I would know you know where to go.
Speaker 8: What a space cadet.
Speaker 1: That's so fun.
Speaker 5: That is such a but also like how how telling that we get so used to our we lean on our pas for everything in every way that like I'm literally not even on set, I'm lost in Virginia and.
Speaker 6: I'm like last or you can help me.
Speaker 5: That is the that is the bad cliche of every actress in every nineties movie.
Speaker 1: I was so touched. I thought it was so sweet, and I just I didn't know how to help because I didn't know where you were.
Speaker 5: I know, I remember being lost in Richmond, Virginia. And that makes sense to me that that's why I would have called you too. I know, well we should have had coffee. Wish I had been able to find my way to you.
Speaker 1: It feels so bad that I couldn't help.
Speaker 7: My funny story was last?
Speaker 1: Or is that?
Speaker 5: I remember being on set the day that we were shooting on the football field with James, and we had the picnic blanket and the and the sprinklers went off and it was like all this and Karen had a thing on the football field too.
Speaker 7: But Sophia was it.
Speaker 5: Sophia and I were trying to get to there was a there was some kind of pa. Everybody was on their walkie, like, Sophia, you weren't in that scene.
Speaker 7: What was going on?
Speaker 5: There was something, some reason we were in the football field. Maybe it was me and James or somebody was like it was like five bucks on Joy, five bucks on James, Like who's going to get to set first? And you were and you were standing by the craft service table and we were all we were all like on our way walk into set, and I was like ooh, te and I turned and I walked into the into the craft trailer and I heard you just get on your walk and you're like, joy stop to Crafty. Joy stopped at Crafty.
Speaker 1: Just won five bucks.
Speaker 8: You guys had like a whole horse race going. It is so funny.
Speaker 7: One of the many wonderful fun moments with you.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, well, so many fun moments. I know, I feel like I need more than an hour. So all right again closing the loop. Got into post production and I knew, like they we were doing a d R and we were recording, you know, we were doing voiceover stuff for commercials at this advertising agency in Richmond, and I just got into I knew all the aspects of production. I knew, you know, what was going on on set. You know, time is money, how to deal with talent. Uh, you know, just I learned so much, and at such a young age about the industry and just the word the inner workings of everything. So then I got into production for a little bit, and then I started at the Martin Agency, which is in Richmond. It's like a national advertising agency. We do all the Geico uh fun. Yeah. So if I remember running into you, were we at the Bowery Hotel remember in New York. Yes, you were with Sam Barry from Yes Clamor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, my sweet friend Sam.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's doing so well by the way, she's crushing and a glamor. She uh ran into you. I was there editing some I think it was Discover card for maybe Midas.
Speaker 6: That's that you're so you. You something you learned to deal with our like little like nasty egos in our early twenties, and now you're like, now I can handle the big boys. Now I can handle the big brands.
Speaker 1: You guys did not have nasty egos.
Speaker 6: I did. I'm not ashamed. I still do. I'm a nasty, little narcissist. No, I mean it's it's it is a good skill set to learn how to navigate people's wants and needs. And it's not something they tell you in college. It's not a class you can take like on set experience is everything is key.
Speaker 1: And now, so my current job, I'm a writer copy senior writer at Martin So I do you know? I write commercials and it's really fun.
Speaker 8: Do you need spokes, ladies, Yeah, that's right, guys.
Speaker 1: I'm currently working on Old Navy and you're the fashion destination.
Speaker 6: Hello, bro, you give me a pair of overalls. I'm in.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 5: Advertising is totally the job I always said I would go into if I wasn't. People are like, if you weren't an actor, what would you do? Always said advertising. I love that you're doing that. It looks so fun.
Speaker 1: It's really fun. So I went kind of from like the production side to now I'm the creative side. And you know, it's really kind of fun. Is getting to sit in video village and have Peas bring me coffee.
Speaker 6: I love it you are Peyton's because in the episode where yeah, she's in that moment with your boss where she's like, I will have your job one day, but not like that like you did it lasted.
Speaker 1: It's really fun. It's fun. I love writing and and it's I love the creative process. I mean, I know you guys all do, and you know I didn't. I don't know. I took a windy path to get here. But I'm loving it. Where we've got a you know, I've got a big, big campaign coming out in the fall for Old Navy, and it's really fun get I get to be you know, I've got two wonderful kids and two little boys nine and six. You're still in Richmond, I'm still in Richmond, you know, but every once in like twice a year, I go to La to shoot you know, spots for about ten days, and so I still get that taste of h you know, I feel like I'm getting a little bit of the I know, best of both worlds.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what advice do you have for people who do want to come in at entry level in film and come in and vi a PA.
Speaker 7: I would love to just because you were so good at it.
Speaker 5: And there are so many people who get in and they get frustrated or they feel like it's I don't know, if it's too demanding, or they have travel trouble keeping track of everything. Yeah, what are some of the most practical pieces of advice that you can give? And even emotional.
Speaker 1: Well emotional, I mean, you know, keep stay grounded. You know, this is not your it's it's it's hard, especially and you guys know you know episodic stuff. I mean I was there. My days were eighteen hours, you know, first one in, last one out, and it's hard not to get sucked into that grind, which you know, admittedly I did, you know, my department was who I hung out with, but I'd say you know, just like stay grounded, keep your you know, keep your family close, and keep perspective. But also it's funny I say that, but also like go for it. It's hard to it's hard to break into it, but when you do. I don't know, I don't know how different it is for people now, if that makes sense, Like, yeah, I did it so long ago. I feel like it's easier to get a PA job maybe somewhere. But take it seriously.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think the work ethic has changed a lot now, yes, than it used to be.
Speaker 1: I mean, take it seriously, keep that work ethic and be a sponge like that was my thing, was to just be a spunge.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: I was watching y'all. I was watching the directors. I was watching the grips and the electricians and the camera, you know, the camera department. I was watching everyone.
Speaker 6: Didn't they try to steal you? I feel like camera tried to steal you at a certain point. Oh that is familiar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, Wardrobe stole me season six. I was I was like kind of burnout, and then I was like helping Wardrobe.
Speaker 5: And yeah, Carol, that makes sense, that's yes, it was, Carol.
Speaker 8: I love that.
Speaker 6: I love.
Speaker 5: Yeah, guys, I have to jump off early last er. It's so good to see you. Enjoy the rest of your chat. I loved this episode, and it's just really great to see you and hear that you're doing well and reminisce.
Speaker 1: I know, it's good to see you. Joy.
Speaker 5: My honorable mention goes to set Deck on this episode for the Mouth and skills.
Speaker 6: Apartment looks the apartment, the frat apartment.
Speaker 5: The frat apartment looks so good.
Speaker 6: Okay, bye bye bye, Lessar. Did you notice that we joked about how the boys like frat house apartment looked so good.
Speaker 1: That like this end up furniture. Yeah, yeah, that like old nineties like the wood.
Speaker 6: Yes, it was like dorm furniture. But then Brooks apartment, which is supposed to be super fancy, is like would you what did you say? It looked like Pier One.
Speaker 2: It looks like Pier one. After a clearance sale, there's just like a couple of random leather chairs left that nobody wanted. I was like, oh man, they well they had a really hardcore skill set. And then there was this other avenue that just didn't work.
Speaker 6: They knew we were never going back there.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, gosh, well, y'all I feel I mean, I did watch the episode. I took some notes.
Speaker 6: Woh, okay, what pop to you? Like?
Speaker 1: Y'all don't have to talk about me. I'm boring.
Speaker 6: Listen, No, you're not going. But what we talked about before you jumped on was how meta this episode was because we did this five year time jump, so we're not in high school anymore, and essentially we're all just playing ourselves like you and I have both seen Sophia do that same walk and talk that Brooke Davis does with her assistant Milica, where it's like, and we need you to do this and this and this and also make this phone call and also I have to be here here and here, and what do you need from me? Okay, fantastic, here's the decision. I've seen you do it so many times because it's always kind and really thorough.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean I can see her walking through you know, through base camp doing that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and then.
Speaker 1: You guys, all of the new people in this episode. I have so.
Speaker 6: Mikayla is a goddess.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. She and I still dm like she is the nicest person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's incredible and Mikayla Lisa Goldstein getting Daphne Zuniga.
Speaker 6: Yes, Dafney. Remember how scared we were of Daphney last I was terrified of her, you were I was terrified.
Speaker 1: I was like, uh, spaceballs anyone? Yeah, nope, jokes are not hitting. I'm out.
Speaker 2: I just remember, well, like when Daphne first came, being like they're gonna do it again, all I did for first season was walk around behind more and be like, don't say topic, don't say topic, don't say topic, don't say to pick and now yours Princess Vesta, And I can't say that to her, Like, oh my god. I was so nervous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I was loving. I mean there was you know, it was interesting. You know the season four season finale was so wonderful and like I have I have physical, like visceral memories of that, like being on the river court. First of all, when I watched that, all I can think about is hair. I can feel the humidity.
Speaker 6: We were all just like wet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, by the way you can see it. I do that thing like I'm hugging joy and then I'm like, We're not going to do this, and I'm literally peeling hair. Off my wet face, and I was like, it's not cute, but we're doing what we can.
Speaker 1: When I watch it, you know, you guys remember the scripts and stuff, but we would just get the sides, and you know, I didn't really know what was going on in the story. I'm just paying attention to my own job. But at like the episodes, I you know, when I went back and watched this one and the Elevator one, I was like, ding, I think all I think about are the locations, Like I know exactly where every single thing was shot. Yeah, and I think about where I was standing, if I was hiding behind a tree, you know, if I was like crouched, you know, beneath something. But that this one was fun. There was you know, coming back at season five, there were a lot of new locations, and I thought it was interesting, you know, I don't know, just the way that the women were handled. Looking back, it's funny. Like I think it's great for the show, and it was really entertaining. But four years out of high school, so I have to be running the I'm like four years out of high school. I was a set pa on one Tree Hill and that.
Speaker 6: Was considered killing it. You know what I mean, It's like, yeah, that was success. It's I think what happened was there was a revolt at the end of season four where I, you know, I personally was like stop touching us, you know, and had that interaction with our boss. Sofia was like, I don't want to be trapped here. I want my career to expand, you know, that is important to me. And so all of those things that we had discussed in season four were somehow made our tragedies at the beginning of season five for our characters.
Speaker 1: I'll picked up on that. I really did, and I've never thought about that before.
Speaker 6: And Enjoy just wanted to be with her family. So it's like, okay, let's start the season with a broken family for Haley, you know, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was really interesting and it wasn't lost on me. Like, while Brooke and Peyton are having different experiences, they're both feeling let down by and trapped by work. And we had had that interaction with our boss at the end of season four, and so our storylines became you're not happy here. You can't just play the game. You have everything you ever wanted and you don't like it. You're selfish. You don't know how the business works. You're gonna have to grow up and figure out what an industry is. Like, we were both getting this thing.
Speaker 1: Unbutton that button.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know, smile on the red carpet, don't say it's hard. Unbutton that button and I'll let you in another meeting. You know, all of it was like ew. But what I appreciated, at least for the audience.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they didn't have to know any of that. They just saw girls rising above it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But so interestingly they got to see a girl who wasn't getting everything she wanted out of her career and wasn't happy, and a girl who theoretically was getting everything she wanted out of her career and still wasn't happy. And what I loved, you know, probably some of the cool women in the room who helped, those who helped that dichotomy happened, the space to open up where all we really needed was each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and lasted.
Speaker 2: In the last episode, we talked about how Hillary and I really were able to find a safety together despite the ways that the powers that be had tried to make sure we didn't stay friends, we had found something. In the last episode, in the finale as us and so it was it's so interesting, like made me kind of weepy when watching this episode when it's like, well, all we really needed was to be together, because when we're together, we're safe. Yeah, when we're together, we're happy. When we're home, we're okay. And I don't know it was that made me smile despite the window dressing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really love that moment in the airport.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it made me cry.
Speaker 6: Well have you ever seen on the internet lasted all of the fan videos that get cut together about Peyton and Brooke being the love story, like the airport scene as one hundred percent in every single one of video.
Speaker 1: Can we talk about the belt? Hillary?
Speaker 6: Which belt?
Speaker 1: The low slung belt? You know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Did you like that? As? I like that was a page out of your book. You were the queen of like a strapless dress or like a like a strapless like shirt with a low slung belt out on the town with some begle bracelets pushed up on your arm.
Speaker 1: Beangle bracelet's pushed up.
Speaker 6: Stealing all of your vibes in this episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those are my for sure. Yeah. I loved that and like It's so funny, you know, for anyone who's interested in like the location production aspect of it. That's the real Wilmington Airport.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: We were able to shoot there because it's so small that they would literally be like, sure, we'll just stop all flights in.
Speaker 2: Well or or it would be like, well, the last flight today lands at six forty five, So y'all want to come at eight pm? Be like what, you couldn't do it anywhere else?
Speaker 1: Yeah, sitting in the rocking chairs between between scenes.
Speaker 6: Did you go on the LA trip with us? No?
Speaker 1: And I noticed that, So that's one of the I'm glad you called that out. That was one of the only times so you was it. You and Sophia have some exterior shots in LA. Just Hill just, oh, well, that's a good fake.
Speaker 2: Then my stuff's all supposed to be happening in New York, but we did it in Wilmington because there's there's buildings there that you can kind of fake for New York City. So, Hill, you were the only one who traveled.
Speaker 6: It was a weird trip, you know, because I was in this like super weird place with our boss and then I was like, great, now you have to come to me, and I was like, uh, and so I think I just hit out with Elizabeth Arnois and probably Daniille like we just were like okay later.
Speaker 2: Well, because you guys went and did it as a second unit.
Speaker 6: It was it was a small skeleton crew that went to yeah, because.
Speaker 2: We were still filming. Like I remember when you were doing stuff in La we did like a full day. I think I think you were with me last year we did a full day of photo shoots for Close Over Bros. Stuff for magazines and our billboards and so like while you guys had the director, we were doing all the second unit in Wilmington.
Speaker 6: See you were doing advertising before you were even doing advertising.
Speaker 1: Mm hm, I remember the photo shoot, yes, because see when I'm watching you know, I'm looking at all the background, I'm like, I remember that extra. I remember that photo shoot, Like whoa, I remember I had a you know I was having a rough day that day or you know, I'm hiding in this tree like that's all.
Speaker 6: What was your favorite episode to film?
Speaker 1: So good question, and it's sort of a love hate relationship. But honestly, you know, one of my favorite ones because I think I have so many memories from was the season for season finale? Yeah, the because that was all night shoots. Yes, so that was seven days of night shoots and that was the first, my first experience with a full vampire lifestyle. I remember Dacious gave me do like do vatine or whatever to black out my windows. We shot. You know, we went to work at six pm. We came home at six am.
Speaker 6: Do you remember going to Wilmingtonian and hanging out in Liz's room and drinking beers.
Speaker 1: After I do?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that was one of my favorite episodes because I think we had a great cast. We had everybody. We had Bevin yeah, who I love and miss so much. It was just we had everybody there was like, you know, it was It's great. Those big episodes are really fun when you know, again I'm not reading the scripts, I don't know what's going on, but I know that all my favorite people are there and they're all on the call sheet, and I know it's going to be a good time. Yeah, that's I have a lot of memories from from that particular episode.
Speaker 6: And did they tell you guys anything as a crew what this five year time jump was going to be?
Speaker 1: No, no, we don't get any of that information.
Speaker 6: What a weird first day where you're like, why are you guys in college?
Speaker 1: Well, I just remember, yes, I remember saying did no one go to college? Like should anyone have gone? To get their BA right right around? So I was never really you know, we got the sides, we got what we're shooting that day, and that was it. So I was never aware of the full story of anything. And again, you know, we're just flying by the seat of our pants, trying to trying to get the scene and move on to the next one, like we got to wrap that crane. Guys, time is money, okay.
Speaker 2: So something so funny happened last year before you jumped on this zoom when me and hill Enjoy were watching the episode and Peyton starts to listen to the audio book of Lucas's book on a.
Speaker 6: CD five di Changer.
Speaker 2: Joey goes, is his book an autobiography? Did you write about us? And we were like, Joey, oh my god, the whole book is about all of us, and she goes, oh, I missed that.
Speaker 1: No idea, no idea.
Speaker 2: So it's just so funny when you're like, we have no idea what's going on. I'm like, well, clearly have the.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's so funny. Like, yeah, I never had any idea what was going on. It's so funny, but I just knew I had to stand up and not sit down. Yeah yeah, and get everybody to set. And I will say, you know, one of my favorite themes of this podcast has been the hair. Oh that was my that was my life. Yes, that was like that meant two extra hours of sleep for me or not. Oh my god, how early I had to be there depending on what you know, who's who's coming in first and who's getting their hair done.
Speaker 6: If they just let us wear some ponytails, we all would have been like functional humans.
Speaker 2: Would have just been easier for everybody.
Speaker 6: We're going to write a new show called Ponytails, and Lassiter can come out of her film retirement and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dry shampoo and ponies.
Speaker 6: Mm hmm, I love it.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm excited to see what happens with all of our characters over the course of this season, because the five year jump meant that all the reservations that we had playing high school kids are out the window, and now we can play messy young adults, and yeah, we do get messy.
Speaker 1: God, I love mess you do get a little messy. I remember some messy episodes. Yeah, and all the new I mean, just the new people coming in. I just remember that being that start of season five was really fun because there were faces, yeah, you know, and everyone was so nice.
Speaker 6: Do you see how cute that dude that Sofia was acting one of the Nicks, the guy that was in the limo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I will say I do remember shooting that Sofia that period.
Speaker 6: I was like, you're like, hello, Massa. There was definitely one of us because anytime like someone new came in, we're all like, hey, hey, hey, do you want to be a friend. Do you want to hang out with our group? Do you want to go to to Lex? What do you want to do?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, Well the scene Hillary, do you remember? And Sophia? I think you and I definitely were there at some point. But the scene where Nathan has his accident.
Speaker 6: Pravda was that what it was called Prasta?
Speaker 1: Remember the vodka bar?
Speaker 2: Yes, Pravda?
Speaker 1: Yes, So that was a real place in Wilmington. They didn't redress that, ye, And I remember all those red lights and like that wasn't a new hip spot for a little while.
Speaker 6: It was Pravda and Odessa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my friend Steph used to bartend there, Stephanie the party Panther. Yeah, so like we'd go there, and I think I almost feel like I might have been out that night and been like, ohh, what do you guys doing here? I'm like on a walkie, Like, I guess I'm not gonna go see Stephanie tonight, see you later.
Speaker 6: I love it. It's fun.
Speaker 1: We you know, Yeah, we were in our twenties. It was I'm just glad I had. I didn't have any friends when I moved to Wilmington because I moved there for the job.
Speaker 6: But you made friends so fast.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean we you know, we work together.
Speaker 6: Yeah. We have all placed our vote on how we felt about James Lafferty's long hair and beard in this episode. What what were your feelings on it?
Speaker 1: Well, I have written down in my notes beard comma took forever to put on. I don't mind the long hair. I just have like really a visceral reaction to the beard because I know how long it took to put on the trailer.
Speaker 2: Well, I have a visceral reaction to it now because James came on the podcast and told us they cut his hair and then use the cuttings from his hair and glue them to his face. Yes, to make the beard.
Speaker 1: Yes, they did Sofia.
Speaker 2: No, Like when I look at when he first came on camera, I was like, nope, because I feel like he just stuck his face in a bowl of his own hair. It's like it's a visual I can't I can't get rid of it. And what a trooper he is that he did a whole episode with that glued multiple face.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Ooof No, I was there in the hair and makeup trailer and it was like a handful like no, and it was like no, yeah, I mean it was so bizarre, But you know, I just chock it up to a learning experience.
Speaker 2: I got to pull my shoulders out of my ears.
Speaker 1: Yeah. When Chad and Lindsay are hugging at the end and you see Chad's tattoo, oh, Lucas's tattoo, Yeah, I just I remember that they got pretty fast with that, but like that was painted on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and that was always tricky because they were covering his real tattoo. So it wasn't just like fake tattoo going on clean skin, like right, you have to put the fake tattoo over the scar from the other Like that's a that's not easy for anybody. I remember what a pain in the ass that always was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you know, it was always We just built it into the schedule and that's part of being in the ad department. You have to account for all that stuff and you know, just get everybody to set on time.
Speaker 6: And well, we all loved working with Jackson because it meant that our days were significantly shorter, Like that was literally the one thing that you couldn't push is how long the child worked. And so kid days were great days because they had to be contained. And I love how Chad was with Jackson in these scenes. It's fun to see him be Uncle Keith and to be able to imagine what that relationship looked like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was good. You all were all. I mean, I feel like everyone Jackson was a sweet, sweet kid, and you all were all good with him. And there's a there's a line though that I had, like it totally triggered something when he says, shoe money, Daddy, are money from a shoe?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: In this episode, and all of a sudden, I was right back there because I was hiding around the corner feeding him that line money from a shoe, and I and like, I love kids, and you know, I just remember I loved having kids on set because you know, for the first four years, we didn't have a lot of kids on set. And you know, I think I even I might have babysat for Moira, but I you know, I babysat for a lot of the crew. Oh yeah, yeah, well.
Speaker 6: We would go to didn't you dress up as a Disney princess for like one of Jade's kids birthdays or something?
Speaker 1: I might have Yeah, yeah, I mean, I just love I love kids. I'm the oldest of four, and I just loved having a youngster on set. So I'm hiding around the corner and I remember saying money from a shoe, Money from a shoe, money from a shoe, and like like so as soon as I heard that line, I was like, oh my gosh, it just took me back.
Speaker 6: That's so set. I love it.
Speaker 2: Lassiter.
Speaker 6: All right, well, here's what I want to have happened. I want our kids to grow up and graduate high school. And then I want you to come direct and I want you to like flex that muscle because you are so incredibly good at your job and you were such an asset to our crew and not just for our department. But I know that the grips and electrics loved you. We know that like wardrobe loved you. We know that all the departments responded to you because you never bullied anyone. You operated out of kindness and it's set a tone that was really important within that department specifically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you was you know, it was all all male department. It was you know, it got it got competitive too. I mean I you know, I wanted to be be well liked and do you know, do my job well? And yeah, you got to have a good you got to have a strong work ethic there. I won't say you have to have, you know, a really strong backbone. I feel like I did back then, but nowadays I don't. I hope that people don't have to be I don't have to have that anymore, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, I think what's really refreshing and what changes culture is when someone like you is in a department like that and it's gone from a department that could, you know, have some serious bully energy to a department that is being shifted by a woman and being given a new way to operate. And you know, Hillary said it, the reason every department tried to poach you was because you made people better and you also were kind while you did it. And when you are in an environment where you have complex uses of power happening dynamics, it can be really gorgeous to have somebody offer you a new way. And you know they say that the fish rots from the head, right, like if the head of the if the head of the thing is bad, it trickles down. Well, it's the reason we want women like you and friends like you to come and direct on projects because you get to set the tone for every department. And like, I'll sign up for the last show. You don't even have to descript it. I'm ready to go.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're just all gonna wear ponytails. It's going to be really short in the morning. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Actually, well, let me finish this, finish this campaign and then Hill I'm telling you I'm writing a Hallmark movie.
Speaker 6: I swear, I mean coirl. Let's just do some nice things. Just kissing and crying is all.
Speaker 1: No, No, let's just let's keep it at kissing and crying.
Speaker 6: Yeah, great, gentle, we love gentle. Are we ready to spin a wheel? Is that where we're at in our in our day?
Speaker 2: I think we are.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think we spin a wheel. Did you uh? Did you participate in superlatives when you were in high school? Of course? What did you win? What are you?
Speaker 1: Hillary? I feel like you will get a really big kick out of this. I went to an all girls high school. Me too, Yes, I know, Yes, Sophie, I did know that about you. I won the first annual b mc Award, which is big Man on Campus. I was. I knew, I knew you would like that.
Speaker 6: Is that big dick energy big we call it Brooke Davis energy.
Speaker 2: We do well.
Speaker 1: I was. I was very athletic.
Speaker 6: I love that.
Speaker 2: Incredible.
Speaker 1: So I was a jock for sure, incredible lassiter, a man on campus.
Speaker 6: Girls, Well then you, I'm gonna leave this up to you. Are most likely too. This week is most likely to bungee jump. You have to pick a real life person and then a character from the show. Ooh, so one of our real life one Tree Hillers. It is not me. I don't do dumb. I mean, I don't take risks. That is not for me.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, I'll say character. I feel like Rachel Danielle's character.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say it too.
Speaker 1: And I forget it's funny. I forget the character's names too. I just know her as daniel you get it to Rachel. So Rachel would be my character that would most likely to bungee jump. Real person to most likely bungee jump, by the way, you know everybody, you can pick somebody from the cast or the crew. Oh yeah, I don't know. I mean part of me. I almost spit out. Alex Alex.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we have to get Alex on the show at some voids. So Alex is the total opposite of Lassiter, but they had the same job. And so he was like a bearded, very disgruntled man who was so irritated anytime we asked for coffee or anything. And he's also our age and so he was like it was like a brother.
Speaker 4: Young.
Speaker 6: He's a little many, a little bit, but he it was like having a brother that was just like, you guys are ridiculous all the time.
Speaker 1: Stop it one of y'all, one of y'all, one of y'all. Yeah, I feel like Danil would do it, but Rachel would. Sophia would you maybe do it?
Speaker 6: She's done it.
Speaker 1: Oh, I have it. I'm just gonna here's the thing.
Speaker 2: I take risks, but also I don't want to do dumb risks, and bungee jumping to me, looks like a great way to break your neck. I skydive, which I know is perhaps more dangerous, but like, it's the whiplash for me that makes me say no to bungee jumping. So I don't know if they're adjacent enough. Fine, but I don't.
Speaker 1: Know bungee adjacent, bungee adjacent.
Speaker 6: I don't trust that. I'm not gonna whip back up and hit the bottom of the bridge, you know what I mean. Like I've never been I don't understand the physics of it.
Speaker 1: Maybe one of the boys, maybe maybe James, he's like in shape.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, it's Austin. It's Austin Nichols. That's who it is.
Speaker 2: You're right, You're right, one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: It's gotta be somebody like in shape and active.
Speaker 6: It just occurred to me, he'd like Austin is also doing all sorts of weird, like water skin and driving around in a van.
Speaker 1: Water scanning is so weird to me.
Speaker 6: I don't do water No.
Speaker 2: He loves all that sports stuff. And he's also you're right, like, I get where you're going with it. Last, Or is that you need a guy who's like fit enough that he thinks he's invincible. Yes, you know, Austin's the kind of person who's just like, we can do it. It'll be fine. It would be him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: As by the way, maybe I missed it in other episodes. I thought it was really funny. I've never thought about so junk Yes, dunk on the show.
Speaker 6: Colin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Colin, who's crushing it the nicest person. Yes, this episode was the first time I had ever heard anyone call him junkie.
Speaker 6: W Yeah, who called him junkie?
Speaker 1: I think it might have been it was like uncle Junkie, oh playing the video games, and I was like, should we call him junkie junk?
Speaker 6: I mean that would explain why he was like a twenty five year old senior in high school.
Speaker 1: I mean he was a junkie.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, you know what I think. Yes, he and Vaughn having dialogue, you know, like Vaughn hasn't gotten to talk a whole lot in the show. And Vonn is hilarious, hilarious, good, honorable mention, so funny.
Speaker 2: I love those rivercourt Boys and honestly like for me, Mikayla, Yeah, talk about coming in like a powerhouse. She has such good energy, she's so in her body. You who after four years do the fans think is going to compete for Lucas's attention aside from Peyton, Like, literally, who but you? Hillary? And Mikayla came in and was just like me mine. I loved it. I loved it. She's such a ge.
Speaker 1: So kind like she's just like she's such a kind person. Oh my god, I loved I loved working with her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was really sweet.
Speaker 6: You guys all right, Lassiter, we've got big plans for your future, but.
Speaker 1: For us well and Hillary, if I have to apologize for texting you from that bachelorette party.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, we're still on drunk text level, which is like, you know what, that's my favorite line of Peyton's in this episode. I want real friends. And so it feels really good to have you here, Lassiter, because it gets we get to go back to that place where like are off off camera, off work friendships really were the things keeping us going, and so I love the fact that you still drunk text me at a bachelorette party or the.
Speaker 1: Record, I wasn't that drunk. It was my dault, my little sister Anna, bachelorette girl.
Speaker 6: I'm there. I'm mad I wasn't invited on that party.
Speaker 1: Buzz her friends are your key demographic for One Tree Hill during the age or like twenty nine.
Speaker 6: I love it.
Speaker 1: I was trying to be a cool older sister.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm like, why why why were you just fa He's timing everybody, babe, really let it really get in it to win it.
Speaker 1: Well I know. Yeah. An Crenshaw is your biggest fan. She was one of the bridesmaids and she was like, what is Hillary doing right now?
Speaker 6: Right now, right now?
Speaker 1: But I'm gonna call her.
Speaker 2: Incredible.
Speaker 6: Oh you guys, I love you. Okay for you guys at home. Next week we have season five, episode two, racing like a pro. It's about to get crazy, all right, here we go, great week.
Speaker 5: I love you last night, Hey, thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: Don't forget to leave us a review. You can also follow us on Instagram at Drama Queen's ot.
Speaker 6: H or email us at Drama Queens at iHeartRadio dot com. See you next time we all about that high school drama.
Speaker 3: Girl, Drama Girl, all about them high school queens. We'll take you for a ride at our comic girl sharing for the right team.
Speaker 2: Drama Queens, Girl
Speaker 4: Fashion, but your tough girl, you could sit with us Girl Drama Queens, Drama Queise, Drama Queens, Drama drah Mcqueens Drama Queens