Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He's a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 1: Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This He's Talking Cowboys Training live from Dallas. Cowboys Training came in Oxnard, California, Sea and now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez and Kyle.
Speaker 3: Yeomans reporting to you live.
Speaker 4: For those who are just now tuning in, this is officially Talking Cowboys Race twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: You're from Oxnard, California, Patrick Noci Walker, Tommy Yarrish.
Speaker 4: This is a bet that stemmed from who making the challenge. It was Tommy Yarrish that made the challenge, So as the challenger, Tommy, I would like you to tell us why this came about.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: To be honest, I don't know. I don't remember. I just remember I was just talking to Smack in the office one day. I never imagined it would amount to anything remotely close to this.
Speaker 4: Okay, I believe the term was any time anywhere.
Speaker 5: Right back, it was the term anytime anywhere. And as much as he's down plane the wardrobe. Keeping in mind, this is the same young man who sat across from me at the office and said he could smoke me in some horror bottoms.
Speaker 1: Any last words?
Speaker 6: What what what advice do you have for your competitor, mister noci over here?
Speaker 1: Oh, I just don't want anybody to blow a handstring.
Speaker 4: There's been a lot of trash talk. There's been a lot of back and forth. But Isaiah, standback, we're finally getting to settle it today.
Speaker 1: You know we're here. The time is now. I mean, why would you wait?
Speaker 6: I mean we have somebody in looks like mister Freeze on the left, and then we have somebody's somebody's second uncle on the right. I mean, we're gonna see Zachi was the best outfit. But I'm really excited about this, Kyle. There's been a lot OF's a lot of smack talking going back and forth over some time, but the moment is here.
Speaker 1: All right, here we go here, it is on to a great start.
Speaker 4: Packets got up, can get to it. It's a photo finish goodness.
Speaker 1: That was tight.
Speaker 3: Patrick had that thing done.
Speaker 1: It was over come over here fell us now about.
Speaker 6: Midway through, about seventeen yards into the race, it looked like you had a little little hitching your video, sir, how would you tell us what happened there.
Speaker 7: Ah, yeah, hitching a kidio has kind of always been my thing. Uh, I was expecting that.
Speaker 1: But you know we finished strong, right, It's not about how you start us how you finished Patrick.
Speaker 3: What was what went into that decision?
Speaker 4: Was it just did he get in her head with the taunting, with the trash talk?
Speaker 3: What happened?
Speaker 5: It was just me having fun, man, because I mean, if I look back and there's a whole football field between me and Michael, why not have some fun.
Speaker 7: It's a wonderful Wednesday edition of Talking Cowboys presented by a Black Rifle Coffee Company here from Oxnard, California.
Speaker 1: And the field behind us is not only home to.
Speaker 7: Training camp in twenty twenty five, but it was home to the Race of the Century trick No see.
Speaker 8: Walker spitting his way you had it won, spun your way to a photo will reveal the champion of that momentarily who actually won via.
Speaker 7: Photo review photo review, But alongside Isaiah stand Back, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Chris Beam in the front, I'm Kyle Yeoman.
Speaker 3: That was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: That was a ton of fun.
Speaker 5: Best podcast going not a Combetario shouts out to Tommy yash and for those that forget, you know, Tommy called me out and you know I.
Speaker 1: Warned him time and again.
Speaker 5: And for those that were like, oh no, Sea staling. Sometimes you try to save a friend for themselves, you know what, but they just don't listen.
Speaker 6: In addition to you and Tommy and the rest of the you know, the the Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Squad shout out to the entire Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Yes, it was.
Speaker 5: Amazing playing a role and this is like Jason, just the.
Speaker 1: Fans don't see like you know what I mean?
Speaker 6: That was that started off as just talking and then it turned into her about to go to lunch.
Speaker 1: When we come back from lunch, we're gonna do this race. And then by the.
Speaker 6: Time Kyle came back, we had our entire video production crew have heard about the race, heard about it through they started grabbing the equipment, microphones, video. One person was like, you know, I'm going up to in the in the booth. Yeah, get the good bear in the towel. And then and then and was like I want to go do it. I want to go follow along the side, put the dog on, whatever you want to call them them.
Speaker 1: And we had the loan Shine from out listen, total production. I loved it. This is a team effort.
Speaker 6: Love everything about the Dallas Cowboys organization and our media team.
Speaker 1: It was just so much fun.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 5: And then the fact icing on the cake, Cali omens Isaiah stand back, treating it as if it's training camp live right.
Speaker 1: The old broadcast producce.
Speaker 5: Intro, the introductory interviews during the race analysis just sensation.
Speaker 6: I am for taking the time to stretch. You took the time About forty minutes before the race. I saw no c walking to gym. I said that man's not playing around.
Speaker 1: I don't play around. He's here to win. What you call it track mode, track mode, track mode.
Speaker 5: You gotta swipt, stretch the gluts, the hams, the quads, the achilles, the calves.
Speaker 1: Like you need all you need that little half good limber.
Speaker 9: Meanwhile, I saw Tommy finish up a hot dog.
Speaker 10: I just need my fuel for the day, like a like a yeah, like copet you need that.
Speaker 1: His lack of preparation contributed to his law.
Speaker 5: You know, I think is uh challenging me in the first place contributed to it. So but shouts out to Tommy again, I see you top tapping in on the on the comments. He's over there in the ten he's watching this whole thing. But seriously, Tommy and I as a brother of mine, that was fun. But hey, I did warn you t why I said, don't do it. Don't do it, don't do it.
Speaker 1: Reconsider read some liv read some liter on this subject. You sure, Okay?
Speaker 5: So but no, that was one and I you know, two turnarounds during the race was because once we got to what the fifteen yard line.
Speaker 1: Listen, I was like.
Speaker 6: All right, I was concerned a second turn when he hit the zero button, he hit the circle, but I was highly concerned.
Speaker 1: I was like, I want to say.
Speaker 5: I needed cleats for the for the turn, right, I needed cleats for the turred you know what I mean, So that that's my center field of turn.
Speaker 1: But you need to cleats for that hard and do that in running shoes.
Speaker 6: All those that are out there talking Cowboys Nation in the chat right now, I need you guys, now that you guys have seen the footage.
Speaker 1: I know a lot of you all listen, go watch the footage.
Speaker 6: And after you've seen the footage, we need you to comment in the in the comment section, can you take down no Sea in the fourties.
Speaker 1: Wow, need you guys playing comments?
Speaker 3: Some of these phenomenal. Some of these are unbelievable.
Speaker 7: I mean the no C had that before it even started.
Speaker 1: Back Slow.
Speaker 5: I tried to both hell slow, that's want you to come here?
Speaker 1: You raised.
Speaker 7: The guy in front of our building at work one time. Love that his name had his hashtag no Sea racer.
Speaker 5: Uh, he shouts out to forty seven hundred anybody that's down to say, you.
Speaker 1: Know what, or lunch or let's wake, let's let's step outside. I love that it's competitive nature, let's go intensity.
Speaker 7: I have reviewed the tapes, all angles that were possible.
Speaker 1: I will say the person who.
Speaker 3: Crossed the finish line first was Tommy Yarrish. He got you by.
Speaker 7: A shoulder blade because because you got to look at where the chest is where they cross, and Tommy.
Speaker 3: Had you just barely had he not? His speed question is done.
Speaker 1: But if he didn't circle button, how much it would he have won by? By? Maybe fifteen?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you could have driven a truck through the gap if I stay at top gear, if I stay at the top.
Speaker 6: That side angle, he was seven yards ahead when he was pulling. What was Tommy pulling? So I'm mentioning pulling because he little he was pulling.
Speaker 1: A slide trailer.
Speaker 3: It was something you gotta unhook the trailer.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. Rams were in town.
Speaker 3: Conversations off of that.
Speaker 1: We're gonna hit the defense in the second segment.
Speaker 7: We're gonna go with offense first here and kind of outline what we saw from the Cowboys offensive attack.
Speaker 3: Josh, I'll start with you. I mean, for the most part, it was.
Speaker 7: A back and forth on that field, the field that was closer to the fans with the Rescott and Company gets a really talented front seven Jared Verse leading the way for the Rams. What were your thoughts with with how the offense performed.
Speaker 10: On Well, it was exactly what I was afraid of going in. I think the offensive line being beat up a little bit. I mean, granted, you don't have Tyler Guidon in there, and granted he wasn't necessarily going to be your be all end all best left tackle position possible are left tackle possible, But I mean I'm thinking going into this, they're going to be aggressive. And last year we saw the same thing where our offensive line was pushed around quite a bit, and I was.
Speaker 9: Like, please, just don't be a replication of that, and unfortunately.
Speaker 1: It felt like that. It felt like there was just.
Speaker 10: More power on their defensive line versus our offensive line, and the run game was not going anywhere. I think Joantae Williams had maybe a few carries that were in the positive yardists but for the most part, we had a lot of running backs getting tackled in the backfield, tackled in quotations there, and you saw the offense start to click when they were going to the outside, when they're going to CD, when they were going to George Pickens, and then you saw Turp start to get open, So Turps start to get to play. I love seeing Turp get involved in the offense more. I really don't want to see the jump catch much from him anymore, but that's just one of those things that he has to work through. What is indicative to me the most, though, is that the offense needs to run.
Speaker 9: Through the wide receivers to get going.
Speaker 10: And you saw Jake Ferguson and you saw Luke scoon Maker getting chippy out there, like you love to see the aggression the.
Speaker 9: Attitude that we're trying to portray. At least for me, it was tough to.
Speaker 10: See the running game not get going, and I hope that's not what we rely on. We need to kind of focus on the pass and get that open to therefore open the running lanes.
Speaker 5: And I agree with Josh and looking at the offense, which is what I focused on yesterday, because I wanted to see a lot of different things. I wanted to see how the chemistry of Dak and George Pickens translates to an actual opponent on the field, but primarily I wanted to see if this running game could get going, and it could not. So the same primary, one of the same primary concerns that the Cowboys had coming off of the twenty twenty four season, inability to consistently, you know, bully guys and be physical enough upfront to move that line. They suffered that against the in the scrimmage yesterday. Now, granted, this is not this is not a group of Jags on the defensive line, in the defensive front, whether it be the defensive line or the linebackers. The Rams have some some dudes. They got some dudes right from point of the Jared and the list goes on. But that's the level of competition that you need to be gauging yourself upon because guess what, the Philadelphia Eagles got some dudes, Washington Commander's got some Duke.
Speaker 3: Johns got more loaded exactly.
Speaker 5: So yeah, so a little a little disconcerting to see that, you know, the Cowboys offensive line wasn't able to get as much pushed. Now, I will give a little bit of grace. I said this yesterday to the fact that they have two backups on the left side, left center, so they had brock Hoffman taking primarily the snaps at left guard in place.
Speaker 1: Of Tyler Smith. Yeah, a little bit zone.
Speaker 5: And then of course you had Nate Thomas and you have to backup tackle situation with Tyler.
Speaker 1: Got you out, and unfortunately that's Jared versus side. So things were.
Speaker 5: Challenging with the run game. We'll see if it improves. So yeah, that that's a huge red flag. But I will say to Josh's point, impressed with this passing attack.
Speaker 11: At and T has a new guarantee because most things in life are not guaranteed, like getting through self checkout by.
Speaker 12: Yourself warning, each item must be placed in the bagging area, not guarantee. Place item in the bagging area, place im in the bagging area.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 11: AT and T guarantees connectivity. You depend on deals you want, in service you deserve or we make it right. Burms and conditions of mind is a att dot com SLAST guarantee for details.
Speaker 1: AT and T connecting changes everything.
Speaker 7: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission.
Speaker 1: Head to your local grocery.
Speaker 7: Store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee today.
Speaker 13: If you shout how about them Cowboys? You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious, ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet. Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious, ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone. The wins will be even taste here.
Speaker 1: It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 7: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy whipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 3: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Sorry about the technical difficulties, but we are back here or from Oxtar.
Speaker 5: California by Taro or hacked by Tommy Yards. You think we were hacked by either that or someone on the break te Why hacked in you guys, because the break just can't take as much fun.
Speaker 1: The T Y or D two two.
Speaker 7: We're gonna have a complete investigation as to why our stream crashed in the middle of it.
Speaker 1: But we're back.
Speaker 7: We're onside Patrick, Isaiah, Josh, I'm Kyle. We've already gone through one break, so we can just keep going.
Speaker 3: We only have one more to take.
Speaker 7: So, Patrick, you were making a point on the Cowboys joint practice with the Rams. I want I want you to restart to point for who either maybe joining us or didn't get a chance to hear.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Quick quick synopsis of what I was saying is that unfortunately, the improvement in the running game that I was looking for has not arrived just yet.
Speaker 1: Now that's a scrimmage.
Speaker 5: Still have three preseason games to go and then of course games begin. But I would like to see the Cowboys able to get push up front. That's something that they were not able to do with the offensive line. Isaiah talked about it at nauseum over to twenty twenty four season. We were talking about a combination of the running back struggling but also the offensive line. Now you have a rebuilt offensive line, but I'm giving them some grace on the left side with backups brought Kaufman Tylers Smith. They gets some reps as he tries to work himself back from an injury.
Speaker 1: That's of no major concern. But then you saw Nate Thomas.
Speaker 5: He had a couple of good reps against Jarrett Vers, So kudos to Nate Thomas for that. But for the most part, the run game was non existent until the passing attack. Dak Prescott and Ceedee Lamb, especially Jake Ferguson, Cavante Turpin, George Pickens got into the mix. The list went on and on. That passing attack looked as if it could do whatever it wanted to do whenever it wanted to do that. So yesterday's scrimmage was kind of a microcosm of if you can't set up the pass with the.
Speaker 1: Run, set up the run with the pass.
Speaker 5: But the fact that the Cowboys have the ability to do that is at least promising. Roll Kyle, I spent about seventy percent of my time with the Dallas Cowboys defense versus the Rams off. This is what I want to hear because I was on the North So yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Understand, I'm I'm prefacing this, okays.
Speaker 6: The reason why I spent seven yes I know because seventy percent of the time I was spin over with the defense because I had a good idea of what it was gonna look like for.
Speaker 1: Our offense versus the Rams defense. I was I had a what was that? What did it? I going in? Going into it, people were asking me, how's everything looking?
Speaker 6: I said, you don't know until you until you play another team and the Rams run a three four. The reality is you haven't been working against a three fourth. Also, the reality is you had backups. In no disrespect to those guys, but they're they're those guys are not on the talent level of a verse and putting them forward and some of the other guys that they have this is an absolutely I mean, these guys are an outfit that went.
Speaker 1: To the divisional. These guys could ball.
Speaker 6: So I had a good idea that we were going to have some struggles up front, just schematically, just schematically and not even just from a personnel standpoint.
Speaker 1: But from what I.
Speaker 6: Did see it, it was the defensive line was kind of collapsing.
Speaker 1: The holes. There wasn't many holes to run through.
Speaker 6: They were getting in the backfield to our quarterbacks often more often than.
Speaker 1: You than you would hope for. But when we had time, let's get to the positive.
Speaker 6: When we had time to sit back and throw the ball, you saw splash plays you saw. You know, it's one thing to have time to throw the ball as a quarterback, was another thing for your receivers to actually get open.
Speaker 1: Receivers were getting open, and.
Speaker 6: When the quarterback had time, he was able to deliver the ball accurate ball for big plays, whether it been to CD or you know, or freaking Turf and Brooks.
Speaker 1: You know, it didn't really matter. The guys were getting open. So that's a positive.
Speaker 6: Now, you just gotta get to the point where the quarterback actually can get it there because he needs time to actually deliver the rock.
Speaker 7: I think the most interesting thing I saw yesterday was just how much the wide receivers built separation. I mean, how many times have we sat on this show and called for that over the last three or four years.
Speaker 3: More separation, more oparation, more separation. We finally got it. We got that separation.
Speaker 7: Then you look at what this offense did in the offensive line against the front seven. This is a team last year in Los Angeles that was twenty second and running or rushing defense. They were twentieth in pass defense. They were twenty sixth overall in total yardage allowed. They were not a top twenty defense in the NFL. They looked like a top five defense in the NFL.
Speaker 3: And they have talent. Don't get me wrong.
Speaker 7: Like you said, Punaford, Braden Fist, Kobe Turner, I thought we saw some good things from Nick Hampden yesterday from the linebacker spot. He was wearing that number six in blue yesterday and he had a good, good practice. And then of course Jared Versus was the NFC Defensive Player of the Year or defensive Rookie of the Year. I was discouraged coming out of it because I thought the offensive line would perform better, say the interior of that offensive line when formed better, not just because of the injuries, and the injuries are going to play a factor. When you look at the list of guys that were out yesterday, it's significant or at least miss.
Speaker 3: Time or was was limited yesterday.
Speaker 7: It's significant, but it's also practice. And it was the first benchmark. The first benchmark did not pass.
Speaker 1: Did not pass. They had a lot of.
Speaker 3: Things go wrong, and it wasn't just.
Speaker 10: Wasn't to be fair. I mean a branch on. Im was talking about kind of playing vanilla here in practice and like thee yeah, yeah, they weren't going to show a lot, but if it's one v one we lost, and and especially in the trenches, it was.
Speaker 9: It was really disconcerting in that respect.
Speaker 10: Does that change when you're able to scheme a little more and you know line up, you know tight ends where Jared versus to help the Chip? Who knows, but at this point, just power on power we lost.
Speaker 6: Listen, I love Shoddy and anybody who has heard his press conferences to date, go look at the energy difference between him prior to yesterday's practice and then.
Speaker 7: After after yesterday's press conference. Yesterday was after you could you can tell you can say we're run Vanilla plays all day long.
Speaker 6: He was disappointed and he actually mentioned that they gave them fits. And the reality is, when you go against a defense that is that drastically different than the scheme that you're used to going against, you have to be able to scheme up against that. Your blocking assignments are different, your protections are different. Everything about your operation offensively in terms of protection and or blocking on the ground game is different.
Speaker 1: So to expect the offense.
Speaker 6: To go out there and have a productive day against a team that runs a completely different scheme and outfit than your defense is unrealistic. They run three four primarily stand up defensive ends. They ran to Mike Zimmer the double a gap with the linebackers, like everything about what they did yesterday in practice at their.
Speaker 1: Core is completely different.
Speaker 6: So you can remember what it looks like on paper when you're installing it in training.
Speaker 1: Camp, when you're learning your one hundred and fifty plays every other day.
Speaker 6: But in reality, if I haven't worked in worked the communication, worked the logistic, you're not set up for success.
Speaker 1: So I'm not putting a bunch of weight on the practice.
Speaker 6: But it's great for those guys to get that film because you're going to face defense that run that I.
Speaker 7: Think what you said there is important to remember is take the film and learn from it. Take what went right, what went wrong, and learn from it. But it's a practice that's ultimately twenty nine days out from your first regular season game. Yeah, there's still a long way to go here, and it's just a practice, but it is a benchmark. Yeah, And that's the first opportunity, purpose only opportunity we'll see with these ones against ones yea in training camp. So there's a lot of weight put into the film, but it's not the only thing that's going to decide.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, this is a two win, five win.
Speaker 1: Oh I thought Patrick No. I was going to say, not at all. You're correct.
Speaker 5: I mean it has to be put in the context of while we're sitting here and we're grading it because we have the ability to do so, in the right to do so. Because again this is a benchmark, as Kyle has said several times, you also put it in the context of you're twenty nine days out. It is a practice, right, and just kind of go from there. So yeah, if you if you're on the grade, okay, I'd give the passing attack like an A maybe an A minus.
Speaker 1: Rushing attack was an F.
Speaker 5: I wanted to see more from the offensive line, but again, there were cons, there were pros, and what do you do. You go watch the film, you build on that, and guess what. Three days from as we have this conversation, your second team is back on the field against those guys, and let's see what the second team can do, because you need to see what your depth is and that's as important for this team, especially coming off the injuries they had last year, as it is to see what the ones can do against the ones. But you also have an opportunity now for your twos that are going to be playing the two the threes.
Speaker 1: Are gonna be playing in this game.
Speaker 6: How well can they receive coaching, how fast can they make the corrections, because that is the defense that you're facing our saturdays.
Speaker 1: So this is a great learning our experience.
Speaker 6: I heard through the grave find there was a lot of mental errors because again, when you're when you're installing this stuff, this stuff you see on paper, but if you're not prepably, not repping yet on the.
Speaker 1: Field, it's very, very difficult to go out there and be successful.
Speaker 7: Remember it is a new scheme on both sides of the football too. Yeah, so it is going to be a little bit different. Speaking of both sides of the football, I want to get to the defensive side because there was a lot on that field too that we've got to break down. A lack of pressure, lots of things that did not go right for the defense against one of the top passing attacks in football that are incoming here for twenty twenty five, more to come as we wrap up the joint practice against the Rams from Tuesday with more Talking Cowboys right after this.
Speaker 14: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere tractors, combines presidential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipments, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agon Turf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to and a location near you.
Speaker 15: As America's leading business lender, Bank of America is on your corner and in your corner, with over nine billion dollars in business loans and more than one hundred and forty business specialists right here in North Texas. We help businesses thrive, so communities prosper. What would you let the power to do? Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com, slash Local Business. Bank of America Official Bank of FIFA Club World Cup twenty twenty five Copyright twenty twenty five. Bank of America Corporation, already reserved.
Speaker 11: AT and T has a new guarantee. Because most things in life are not guaranteed, like getting through self checkout.
Speaker 12: By yourself warning, each item must be placed in the bagging area.
Speaker 1: Not guarantee.
Speaker 12: Place item in the bagging area. Place item in the bagging area.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 11: AT and T guarantees connectivity. You depend on deals you want, in service you deserve, or we make it right burms and conditions. Survive is a ATT dot com slash guarantee for details. AT and T Connecting changes everything.
Speaker 7: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee Today.
Speaker 1: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Back here on Talking Cowboys This segment has brought to you by Invisi Line, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys once again. Isaiah Patrick and Josh. We've got Chris Bean in the front. I'm Kyle Yeoman's Josh. I want you to tell me hi scale of one to ten yesterday's practice, the defense versus the Rams offense. What's the high ten as you are winning the Super Bowl? One is we should blow it all up and try again next year.
Speaker 3: I thinkvative, But that's the scale. That's the scale that I want to hit.
Speaker 9: Four conservatively a metaphor.
Speaker 10: I think, if you're just looking at what you saw out there, maybe three. But uh, I think I've seen enough in practice before this to say that, you know, this is just a really rough day for the cornerbacks. DeVante Adams was having his way with the secondary. It was again another word to keep using. This this episode is disconcerting. It just did not feel great to see that happening. Pua was doing this thing as well, but you saw the the ed Dredgers sort of get back to it that the pressure wasn't there necessarily. Jimmy Garoppolo was throwing dimes all day long, like I think any quarterback would have done that, not just I mean Janine Garofolo could have thrown you know, first down.
Speaker 1: Or two.
Speaker 9: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Nice. Nice it was.
Speaker 10: It was no pressure, no pressure, especially up the middle that was rough to see. Yeah, but I think you've, like I said, you've seen enough from your edge rushers that you feel comfortable.
Speaker 5: But up the middle it was rough yesterday. So you're saying, just so I'm clear, one is the worst case scenario.
Speaker 1: That I'm going. I'm gonna. I'm gonna, I'm gonna land at a five.
Speaker 5: And the reason I land at a five is because although the Cowboys didn't get the pass rush that I wanted to see them get in the scrimmage, given the depth and the talent and ability to have in that room, I don't have concern there.
Speaker 1: I think that figures itself out and.
Speaker 5: Really quickly what I saw was what I expected to see. Really, when you talk about a cornerback, a cornerback room coming into this camp, we have the receipts, we've set it time and again. It was for me, the most concerning position on the depth chart. We saw that bear out bear itself out yesterday with Devonte Adams in that group. It really didn't matter if it was Stetson ben It throwing in or uh, Jimmy Garoffalo or like you said, Janine Garoffalo, it doesn't matter. Fact was they would get separation on the guys. Now, of course, Treyvon Diggs, he's not out there yet. We don't know what savone rebel is going to be. But he's also not out there yet. You're still trying to figure out some things. But in assessing what was out there, not great, Bob, But I'm not surprised. I'm disappointed, But the expectation wasn't high in the first place.
Speaker 9: Because we've been saying this about the secondary.
Speaker 1: I can't be greatly disappointed.
Speaker 5: I can be disappointed in that my expectation was here, but I had hope that I would see something energy.
Speaker 3: Can I read this this list to you?
Speaker 7: This This is the cowboys that were not participating in yesterday's joint.
Speaker 1: All right, here we go.
Speaker 7: Uh, let's go with Let's start with the usual suspects, Dabarri and Overshown. He's working his way back from a severe injury. Starter revel uh, working his way back from a severe injury.
Speaker 5: Potential starter, Potential starter, I don't see him be not you too, you too, you two starter, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now we were one.
Speaker 7: Michael Parsons, of course, his situation kind of. I think he's starting with Tyler Goyden. He was, he was not out there all both sides. Uh, Miles Sanders, Douce Vaughn, Brevin span Ford, Josh Butler, Trayvon Diggs, Justin Barron. I mean that's the that's a loon. Carson guys. Yeah, Kayln Carson's yeah, I forgot even Kayln Carson. Yeah, was not out there either.
Speaker 1: Seat belt.
Speaker 7: So yeah, you're you're banged up. I mean the playing example, those are four or five starters, and then you don't have the ability to to pull into the reserves quite yet because you're hoping those guys come back.
Speaker 1: In GB.
Speaker 6: I was, I spent most of my time over there because I had low expectations for our defensive backfield. I mean, you're going against two of the premier route runners in the league. There's not to say that you don't go against good route runners every single day. You have ceede Land, George Piggins. I mean, those guys are well respected obviously in the league. DeVante Adams is world renowned for his route running. Like it's no matter who you ask, is not debatable. He's one of the best route runners in the last decade of our of the game of football. And people argue whether or not he's lost a step. It doesn't look like it. Poking the cool one of the rising stars at the receiver position. Both of those guys are really good at what they do. And then they have a couple other guys they got they got to to that well they got was a Kennington, not Kennington, what was his name, Whittington.
Speaker 3: Former Texas Longhorn.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they got some guys. Anyways, our defensive backfield is ravaged right now. I mean, your kyer Elims had one heck of a camp. He's somebody that you obviously traded for. He came into the building. He's been bawling out in camp against our guys. But these are new concepts.
Speaker 1: These are new.
Speaker 6: New personnel groupings, new motions, new shifts, new everything. Right, So you're facing this stuff without being prepped, without film study on this opponent. So your reaction every time is going to be delayed. Also, the thing that contributed to them being hostidoed really on the back end is that you expected a pass rush. I spent my time over there because I had high expectations for the pass rush, not only because what I've seen in practice, but also because these guys look good on paper.
Speaker 1: These are guys that we have high expectations for.
Speaker 6: This is the room that I considered to be one of the deeper position groups on this roster, and it didn't. It felt like all their moves just went away. It was almost like you went to go play Mortar comeback. You had all your moves all written out on a piece of paper. Anybody else do that move? Yeah, absolutely, and right before you play it, you lose the paper and you're like, oh crap.
Speaker 1: That's what it looked like.
Speaker 6: It looked like the guys were just they forgot everything. Donovan Azarak, who all the moves that we've seen him doing training camp. All day, it was all bull rush. Everything that he that we've seen and we know that he's capable of doing. It's like it's just somebody men in black them just neuralized her, just took it away from him. We had zero pass rush from the outside, We had zero pressure from the interior. Every quarterback that stepped up for the for the Rams had the the prettiest pocket in the world. And when you pair that up with their ability to run routes, the way that these guys run routes, paired with with Sean McVay and his concepts, that's a no winning combination. So defense had a rough time in that regard. I felt like they did a good job, relatively good job against the run. I liked what I saw for my linebackers. I think that they're there.
Speaker 3: You thought the line day.
Speaker 1: I liked the linebacker room outside.
Speaker 3: Both one's answers. I thought, guys like the.
Speaker 6: Linebacker room is deep. They're deep, and they're showing up. And some of the things that I was looking for was the discipline. Obviously you can't you're not supposed to take guys to the ground. But I was looking for leverage. I was looking for, you know, fittings right, are you fitting on the outside shoulder, you know, to send guys back in. I saw a lot of that, forcing guys back to the interior defense. So a lot of things that are going to show up on game days, but that you don't necessarily see on the practice field. So encouraged by the linebacker group, disappointed in the defensive front, and expectations were kind of met by the guys that were competing at the cornerback end in safety positions.
Speaker 10: Would you just chalk that up to a bad day for the defensive line, like you're saying, like they're not instilling the moves that they've learned so far or was it one of those things where it's like you have a plan until you get punched in the mouth and then you know, the offensive line for the Rams was kind of to where you're like, I.
Speaker 6: Feel like our guys froze. So I mean, I guess you can chop that up to a bad day. Yeah, you know, sometimes you're a little bit bless you, my brother. Sometimes I think you might be a little bit too hype. You're obviously also you're trying to it's very difficult as a defensive lineman to temper your tempo.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. We still getting good reps.
Speaker 6: Like I don't want to go balls to the wall because I don't want to push this guy over. I don't want him to fall, but I want to win the rep, you know what I'm saying, But I want to give our guys a good look.
Speaker 1: It's very difficult. It's hard to play in between speeds as a defensive lineman.
Speaker 7: It looked like yesterday the Rams were playing one speed and Dallas was trying to play.
Speaker 6: I feel like holistically, the Rams were playing at a faster pace than the entire Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Now part of that, Josh, I like the question you asked there, because you can also compare it to who who had a bad day on the offensive side. Just give me an answer there, who had a bad day on the offensive side as a unit, not an individual?
Speaker 9: Oh, offensive line?
Speaker 3: There you go. Who had a bad day on the defensive side? Defensive line, defensive line?
Speaker 7: Traditionally Dallas's defensive line has looked better against our offensive line against the Dallas offensive line, right, because maybe the offensive line just isn't where we thought it would be at this point in time. And that'll be a focus of camp from here until Saturday, and then then on next week in Oxnard, and then when they get back to Frisco. Because of Tuesday, the microscope is going to be on guys like Booker and bb and Steel and of course the backups that are on the left n side, as Nate Thomas really fills a hole there too. Because of what happened Tuesday. There's going to be a microscope now across the board.
Speaker 10: As there should be, as there should be. I mean, you have to, that has to be right. We're talking about Dak getting the get passes out, using the air attack to set.
Speaker 1: Up the run.
Speaker 10: But he can't do that if the production's not there, if his pocket's not clean. And you don't you also don't want Dak, as much as he's scrambling this year, you don't want to see him do that on a consistent basis. That's not a level of winning in terms of here for the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: It's concerning it is.
Speaker 7: There's a lot of a lot of fans out there that are, of course upset with the practice, upset with all of that.
Speaker 3: But I want to I want to end today on a positive.
Speaker 7: No, we got a ten minutes left who stood out, who was playing at a at a high level in the practice, Because I want as much criticism as we've just given for forty minutes of that happened.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'll speak to the defense.
Speaker 6: I liked what I saw out of Shamar James and Jack Sambourn. I liked that a lot. That was good stuff from them. These guys were playing downhill, they were playing fast, they were playing physical. There's a number of times where they were protecting the offensive player but at the same time give him a little And when they came a little by pulling back and not not fully engaging, not tackling intentionally, they were still knocking these guys down to the ground. So there's a lot of power behind those linebackers. So that's what I like, that's what I saw. Uh, I'm gonna go to the offensive side of the ball.
Speaker 5: And this also goes to how Dak was when he had time, how he was able to get the ball out and make good throws.
Speaker 1: But Ceedee Lamb, my god, man, my god.
Speaker 5: This time last year, you know, CD wasn't out here in Oxtarit there was a holdout situation.
Speaker 3: We were talking about lack of separation, separation.
Speaker 5: For us to start the season. None of that exists. None of that exists right now with Ceedee Lamb. He is torching all comers in camp and not just teammates on the opposite side of the ball. We saw him having his way with the Rams defensive backs. I'm talking, dude, the route, running the separation. I mean he putting it was like no C versus Tommy Yarrish out there.
Speaker 1: The yardage that he that he.
Speaker 5: Was putting between himself in defensive backs, climbing the ladder when he needed to climb the ladder. Uh, everything that makes him arguably the top one, of the top two or top three best wide receivers in the league is continually on display. Rip in rep out so shouts out to Ceadie Lamb. He looks like he's set up for a monster possibly even another career season.
Speaker 7: We're we're all friends here, right, everybody. I mean, this is this is a this is a safe space.
Speaker 1: It's a safe.
Speaker 3: Space right all the way through.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 7: I want to tell a little secret about yesterday's practice. We had Ceedee Lamb miked up. It's gonna be a video on.
Speaker 3: And there are a lot of Yeah, Beam was a big part of it.
Speaker 7: It's Scott Purcell hooked it up. They all got it done. It's gonna be really.
Speaker 1: Cool talking cowboys. You guys get this and you're gonna get.
Speaker 3: The insider info. They can probably get it elsewhere.
Speaker 7: But the but I'm wanted I wanted to say that because there were a couple of times where he was getting.
Speaker 3: Flags thrown at him and CD was frustrated.
Speaker 7: I mean, there were times where he was jawing back and forth, but he did a good job of kind of reeling that back in and then turning in a second half of practice that was just nasty. I mean, he was really good on the second half of practice, but he also was early on where he was getting those flags thrown.
Speaker 3: I can't wait to see how that kind of works its way out.
Speaker 7: I know it's going to be an edited piece and it may not be chronological all the way through, but I want to see what he said to certain spots in that practice yesterday, because I thought he showed it on.
Speaker 5: The field, but really quickly to that point, I think it's key that people understand what Kyle just said about Ceedee Lamb and his.
Speaker 1: Demeanor in between or after and during every single play.
Speaker 5: He's treating these practice and scrimmage reps as if they're in as if they're game reps. One of the biggest knocks that a lot of the fan base had on Ceedee Lamb over the first couple of seasons he was in the league is that he gets when things don't go his way, he shuts down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, well.
Speaker 5: Things weren't going his way, and he was jawing and he was staring down, and he was letting people know like no, no, no, no, no, I'm not going for that. It was the competitive dog nature showing itself in a much different, a much more explosive way, which goes to the maturity.
Speaker 1: So I just don't want anyone to gloss over that.
Speaker 5: Point that Kyle is making, because when you tied into the growth of CD lamb, he he is most certainly becoming that guy.
Speaker 1: As if he weren't already that guy. Love it.
Speaker 9: I have to give a big shout out. Who's throwing CD the ball?
Speaker 1: Do we know it's that number four gun, number four guy? Yeah, yeah, Rain Dakota Prescott.
Speaker 10: That's to see him, to see the offense struggle early on and.
Speaker 1: To see and this is to piss off Willy Wonka. Well, to see.
Speaker 10: Brian shouted out in the press conmerce afterwards. It's like they were having trouble communication, like with communication.
Speaker 9: Throughout the entire practice.
Speaker 10: But I think dak Prescott saw what was going on early in the offensive drills and was able to communicate with his team and start airing the ball out like he understood what was happening. It's like, Okay, this offensive line is not holding up today in this scenario, we need to air the ball out.
Speaker 9: I need enough time to air the ball out.
Speaker 10: I think he was doing enough there to communicate and he was throwing dimes yesterday.
Speaker 1: Yes, he was.
Speaker 10: That was impressive, and he was making the right reads. Even if there were the checkdowns, he was making the right reads. I love to see that from dak of course, and like you would expect that from your starting quarterback of ten.
Speaker 5: Years, Dakota Domes, if you will, Dakota Dakota doms.
Speaker 3: The last guy that had dined. No, yeah, well it didn't really work out. So he's in Indianapolis because he was all right to that point.
Speaker 7: Though, the most dominating portion of yesterday's practice for either side, on Dallas's side was when they dominated a two minute drill on the offensive.
Speaker 3: Yes, and who was that credit to dak It was dak Tolbert had.
Speaker 1: A good good Jonathan Mingo.
Speaker 3: Mingo was involved involved a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I thought that portion of practice made me feel exponentially better because it wasn't just Oh.
Speaker 3: They succeeded.
Speaker 1: They The situation.
Speaker 7: Was they had a minute and thirty seconds with two timeouts to get from the opposite forty to the opponent's thirty yard line to set up a field goal, and they like it was an end of game scenario. They got to the thirty yard line with like forty seconds left, so they won the drill with forty seconds left, and I think McVeigh and Schottenheira looked at each other and said, I want to keep going. Let's see if they can go down and score. So they started going. They got down to about the nineteen and then they quit the drill. They would have kept going and may have had a chance.
Speaker 3: To score because they nixed the drill with like twelve seconds left.
Speaker 7: Whenever or no, they went down and spiked it with three seconds left, so that was the end of the drill.
Speaker 1: But they set it up.
Speaker 3: It was perfect. They moved down the field methodically.
Speaker 7: It was on Training Camp Live, the one with Nicole and myself, so you can go and watch the whole sequence and me we outlined it as it went. But they dominated that whole scenario and I liked what they had in that spot.
Speaker 6: Question for you we got your right to hop off get He was the most dominant performer for the Cowboys yesterday.
Speaker 1: Yall's opinion.
Speaker 7: I gave it to Turpid Speed. Yeah, I think Rbty Turvy Spech. He had a really nice day. He was very active.
Speaker 10: I love seeing Turp out there, and like I said, he was involved in the offense in a way that I was really hoping after he signed that contract, like all right, Like we need to see him as a receiver, we need to see him as running back.
Speaker 9: We need to see him more involved.
Speaker 10: It can't just be kick returned. So I love seeing that. For me again, I'm gonna because of the two minute drill, I have to.
Speaker 5: Give it to DA give it and I'm going to give it to CD just for all the reasons I've already stated, demeanor, ability to separate athleticism and just another elite day that he stacked out here in Kim.
Speaker 9: If you had to give it to somebody on defense, it would it be if you.
Speaker 1: Had too before.
Speaker 6: I can't of give it to somebody who's kind of offense and defense. Oh, Brian Anger, he was really good. I'm not kidding. He was not kidding. Bomb sixty punts do y'all understand how much of an advantage that is if you are to have the best field goal kicker and the best punter In this case, y'all forgot b A was All Pro a couple of years ago. If you have the all Pro field kicker and all Pro punter, do you know how much of an advantage that.
Speaker 1: Is for your team?
Speaker 6: The ability to kick field goals from wherever the heck you want to on the field, score points, and ability to flip the field. I know it's not sexy, it's not popular, but I'm telling you, those are the minute details that are going to set your team up for success. If you get in a situation and you need to pin these guys down there is.
Speaker 7: Can't wait for fans to be like, Yeah, joint practice MVP. Man, that shows how good of a practice bombs. It was really good. I like the question who would you give it to on the.
Speaker 3: Defensive side if you had to? If you had to?
Speaker 6: From what I saw, I was trying to watch a lot, but I liked what I saw out of Shamar James.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I liked what I saw.
Speaker 3: The rookie getting love, Yes, very much.
Speaker 6: So he's a he If you were to draw up a linebacker, He's what they look like, you know, him and Kenneth Murray. Those guys look like walking linebackers.
Speaker 7: I'd probably say I didn't get to watch your tongu because we were on that offensive field a lot.
Speaker 3: From what I saw, I thought he was fine.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 7: There was some back and forth. I think lad In Camp, I haven't seen the film yet.
Speaker 1: Just delayed out the breaks and then then Bland.
Speaker 3: They didn't throw it. Bland a whole lot.
Speaker 1: But I would have to say, which is why for me? Bland, that's why. For me it'ster Ron Blaine.
Speaker 5: It's because his presence and his ability to cover made them challenge other cornerbacks. So I'm going with Bland the quiet assassin yesterday.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I like that yesterday. Yeah really well, he was all over the place. Love to see it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I think I'm gonna go with lel to official switch it up. You're right, because I wouldn't even think of it. I was thinking about the linebackers as a whole. Samborn and James, but Leah All and Clark.
Speaker 3: I thought both had really good.
Speaker 10: And on a day that shotenh emphasizing communication, he was a guy Camila John he was in there communicating.
Speaker 1: And he shout out to him for putting on some size too. He looks more like a linebacker than last year last week, look.
Speaker 5: Like a corner and yet and yet looks I don't know if he looks quicker, if he's just reacting more quickly because he's diagnosing plays. Whatever the case may be, he's playing fast and.
Speaker 3: Himself.
Speaker 7: So bad news is we've run out of time today. Good news is we've got a show on Friday, episode of Another Cowboys this week, a nine am Pacific eleven am Central Time on Friday, because we the best and we will lead you into preseason game number one, where Isaiah Standback will be on the call.
Speaker 3: Yeah about and the Cowboys Television.
Speaker 1: Network, Yes interesting said.
Speaker 6: There you go.
Speaker 7: All right, that's gonna do it for us. For Isaiah Patrick, no c Walker, for Josh Rodriguez.
Speaker 1: Chris Beam in the front.
Speaker 7: I'm Kyle Yeoman saying so long from Oxnard, California.
Speaker 3: We'll see you on Friday.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club