Speaker 1: Quiet Please with Mel Reed and Kira Dixon is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Okay, welcome back to Quiet Please.
Speaker 3: Kira and Mel here and Ryan Fox is our Open champion. Mel It was that a fairly spicy, interesting, compelling, lovely Open championship.
Speaker 4: It really was. It was beautiful weather. We are having a fantastic summer in the UK right now on a bit of a heat wave, so it was baked out. It was dry, not the usual kind of linxy golf that we used to We're you still have a bit of bad weather, aren't we a bit of wind bit rain? We didn't really get any of that. So it played very differently, played very firm, but it was a very compelling Open. But listen. Ryan Fox played the obviously the Saturday of his life with a sixty two and then just unbelievabletuff coming down the stretch on Sunday. But he's quoted saying some of the best golf he's ever played. Just didn't miss a goal shot the last five or six holes. And that birdie on the last. I'm a big fan of Ryan Fox. I always have been. I think he's a top lad. He's thirty nine, so he's no spring chicken. I was just so happy for him. I was absolutely do you know what as well, Kira, I don't know if you feel this as well? When he weren't, It's almost like he couldn't believe it himself. He was like, what the hell have I just done?
Speaker 5: He just kept on putting his head in his hands. I know he was like, I have to call my wife and kids, I have to call my dad. And I just loved how not only did he play fast, but he like did his celebration and then just off.
Speaker 2: The grim business.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because usually people will like stick there and take it in and hug people, like he gave his Caddy a two second hug. Yeah, and then power walked into scoring where he was forced to sit and like sign his scorecard.
Speaker 2: But he just had his head in his hands.
Speaker 5: And you know the juxtaposition of him next to Sam Burns, who had another close call at a major championship, and we'll get into that, but I mean, I love Ryan Fox. He's one of my favorite people to talk to on a range. It's one of my favorite people for a post round interview because he just actually says things and he's got the benefit of a little bit of age.
Speaker 2: He has a great perspective.
Speaker 5: He comes from a sporting family, like he gets it, he gets his role as an entertainer in sport, and he's willing to let the viewer in and his honest.
Speaker 2: I just yeah, that's we don't have enough of that. So I'm really really.
Speaker 5: Happy for him. And you know, this is a guy that's been a grinder for a really long time. So to have somebody like that walk away with it very worthy winner.
Speaker 4: I had of a set, and he's gone through every single stage, like you know, he's done you know, the Challenge Toy, your Deep Wheel Tour, then he got his card, then he weren't a couple of times last year, and then yeah, I mean it's just the ultimate kind of like he's thought about many, many times about giving out the game of golf. I mean, who hasn't, who's had such a kind of long career like he hasn't. Yeah, just unbelievable stuff. And I was just I was just made up for him. I don't know I've always liked Ryan Folk. So I remember playing when we played the VIC Open. Gosh, this is back in like twenty sixteen seventeen, and obviously the men played at the same time, and there was this green that was like three hundred and eighty yards and he just hit his T shirt. I'm on the green obviously pitches him and he comes up and goes, oh, I'm so sorry. I was like, no, that was awesome. I was like that was that was an amazing Like I didn't think you could drive it either. He's like, mean, neither, So I was sorry. I was like, no, don't say sorry, Like that was awesome. Yes, mate, I was like, no, that was awesome. I said, I really enjoyed watching that. So yeah, no, next time, yeah, do it again. You can hit it on the next hold on.
Speaker 2: So I just a proper athlete, Oh yeah, oh.
Speaker 4: Yes, I feel like his swing is super conventional. Like his dad is an absolute legend of All Blacks. Yes, obviously famous rugby.
Speaker 5: So you don't know what that is that he was a rugby star from in New Zealand for the All Blacks. And I didn't know this, but Ryan his dream growing up was to follow in his dad's footsteps, but a bunch of kids would target him at team practices or in matches, and he sustained so many concussions at a young age that he had to quit rugby and didn't take up playing golf seriously until he was seventeen years old.
Speaker 2: That's which isn't wild. Yeah, just shows how athletic he is.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 4: I mean a rugby player like his is a ginormous absolutely ginormous. But yeah, and there was a video of him deadlifting like something obviously when he won, and I was like, holy cow, Yeah, no, he's a proper athlete and he's fast.
Speaker 2: Love that, yes, tell us more So.
Speaker 4: I didn't hear about this, but I don't know who, so I think it was Colin Montgomery. So this is how ridiculous golf has got, right, And it's the same on the LPGA. I don't think it's quite as horrific as the men's but it's it's getting there. It's kind of got a little bit better, I feel like. But Colin Montgomery was talking about when Lee Trevino won in whatever it was eighty one or in the late seventies or something. Three ball. They've played in four hours, just at four hours maybe under, and he says, now we're playing in five forty five and he says, what is what the hell has happened? Like Lee Trevino won that year, and he's like, what is going on? And he's one hundred percent right, Like it is so slow, but Ryan Fox is a breath of press are Like, I think he took twenty two seconds to his winning putt. I mean if that was any other player, it would have taken a minute at least.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I mean two minutes and twenty two seconds.
Speaker 4: Yes, literally, yeah, it took Yeah, it took him twenty two seconds. He's a breath of fresh air. He's talking about it in his press conference. It's like saying, it's basically in between monitu clubs. I've always had that mentality. I know that a bunch of other players have that mentality as well as well, So it's refreshing. It was. Yeah, someone in the biggest moment of his life literally takes less than twenty five seconds to hit the biggest part of his career.
Speaker 5: I think it's brilliant because the longer you take, the more opportunity for bad thoughts and doubt.
Speaker 2: Creep in.
Speaker 5: How many times have you stood over a putt and you feel like you're confident, and then all of a sudden you start to think, oh my gosh, what if I miss it? Or the what are the implications of this if I miss it? Or you start thinking about the opportunity, You start thinking about the trophy, the money, the life changing everything that's Oh, that's over that put between that's all that stands between you winning the Cleric Jug and going to a playoff with Cameron Young, one of the best players in the world. Like, there's so much stuff you can consider, but.
Speaker 2: In twenty two seconds, you want to have time.
Speaker 5: So maybe that's a good lesson for anyone that wants to do anything competitively, just shut up and do.
Speaker 4: It exactly well said, No, I agree with you. I mean I was a fast player, so I kind of a little bit biased towards it. But I always felt like whenever I not that I ever did, but if I was over the ball too much, I'd think too much. But I think with so much information now, like thank god that got rid of the greens books. But in a way that's actually made it slower, I think again, because everyone does aim point and for people that don't know the greens book that we got rid of it a couple of years ago. Basically to every foot we had the exact gradient of degree of slope on it, and so it was a lot easier to read pers especially if you do a point where you're kind of feeling it with your feet anyway, so you could see exactly where you were on the green. But yeah, I mean, it's just take forever. It's just the conversation.
Speaker 2: Boring towards is so pure. I know, no wonder people think the golf is boring.
Speaker 4: I know, why do I want to.
Speaker 2: Watch you stand there and shuffle your feet back and forth?
Speaker 4: Every other but every other sports, Baseball has you know, the picture has a shop clot like tennis, and the serb has a shop loot like. Everything is getting quicker, apart from well, football actually is getting slower, but stupid hydration breaks. But other than that, everything else is getting quicker. Are you good?
Speaker 2: Sorry, somebody trying to call me.
Speaker 3: Let me.
Speaker 2: It's my birthday today, so people are calling me.
Speaker 4: She you know, oh Kira, I knew that it's in my phone. Is Kia birthday? Oh my god, I'm such a Dick. Ohkira, I'm so sorry. I've literally been a mess today.
Speaker 2: For your baby to be born.
Speaker 4: It's okay, Oh my god, I'm so sorry. Fuck. I feel like an asshole now.
Speaker 5: But I I didn't hear from you because I was like, oh, I can give itself.
Speaker 4: I do this, so I have it in my phone and I always look at my phone in the morning. This morning I didn't because we were rushing around because I got up late, so I was rushing around and then I've just been just doing stupid shit all day. So I'm so sorry. Happy birthday. I would have remembered by the the day, the end.
Speaker 2: Of the day, but not before the pod, which is great for me.
Speaker 4: God, I'm such an asshole. Happy birthday.
Speaker 5: I thinks I am at thirty five today, I'm I'm officially in my mid thirties.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it gets better. From him, I was thinking.
Speaker 5: About it today, like life has really never been better.
Speaker 2: This is life is great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I honestly think the older I'm getting my life is better. Yeah, the less Like I was quite scared of it in my mid twenties, but now I'm like, no, give me my forties and fifties. I mum down.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've got better friends, better career stability. Birthday huh yeah, yeah, it's fine, or you may be spill my drink.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: I would have done it by WoT yeah right.
Speaker 2: You would have seen my Instagram post and then you would have texted me.
Speaker 4: I know. I would have got like, oh, I feel like an asshole. I would have remembered. Don't worry, don't worry, don't worry. I everyone calm down. I still have like nine hours. It's only three quarters.
Speaker 2: Away for your baby to I don't don't worry about me. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 4: And you are in Hawaii, set up well, celebrating, celebrating, celebrating.
Speaker 2: I'm in Hawaii for my baby moon slash birthday.
Speaker 4: That's amazing. How do you therefore?
Speaker 2: Six days.
Speaker 4: Nice? We did that. We went to Charleston. Very different. We went to Charleston. Okay, it was beautiful.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you anyway. I didn't mean to interrupt. Just people are people that remembered.
Speaker 7: Yeah anyway, Ryan Fox, Yes, the game is quickness, yeah, and it's getting quicker.
Speaker 2: So we're saying soccer is slowed down.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, football slowed down because of these stupid hydration breaks and then be definitely, So that's the only school hydration break?
Speaker 2: Is that just for the World Cup? Just for commercials?
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 2: But is that like a normal thing for Premier League?
Speaker 4: No? So no, we're not that soft, not that sot.
Speaker 2: I want to I want to dive into World Cup stuff in a little bit, but vulable chat. Yeah, anything else you want to say about Ryan Fox the winner.
Speaker 4: No, I was just very happy for him. Just yeah, I was extremely happy. But I was pulling for him on the last day. I mean, obviously it's funny, so Carlie actually picked Sam Burns, So I kind of was pulling for him because he got so close. Obviously he's just had a baby, like ten days just had a baby ten days ago, and I was pulling for him because he came so close to yours.
Speaker 7: Open.
Speaker 4: Tommy Fleetwood had a fantastic week considering everything that was going on around him. Just the the shouts of Tommy was like one hundred thousand times a day, and just the way that he performed I think, very very impressive. Yeah, brilliant. Yeah, just a memorable week for him and Bryson.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is this is like a whole thing.
Speaker 4: This is where I want to get.
Speaker 5: So on Friday, Bryson hits it into the crap on five. I don't know, yeah, sure, hold yeah, and he is I mean, obviously the cameras around him at all time. He walks over to his ball which is in the tall rescue and he is stepping all over the grass. And later it is brought to his attention that that is set that is actually improving his line, and he's assessed a two stroke penalty by the RNA.
Speaker 8: Drama ensues. Later we hear that he had asked to call President Trump to get involved here he has.
Speaker 5: To go back out to the spot with the rules officials and relitigate all this. He said that because of this injustice, he was potentially thinking of withdrawing.
Speaker 2: He wasn't going to play on Saturday, and then.
Speaker 5: Because of all that drama, the players didn't get their tea times until eleven o'clock.
Speaker 2: At night because they're all waiting on that.
Speaker 5: Rory had some interesting comments about the whole thing. But let's just go back to the this whole thing. What was your impression as a professional golfer of how he handled it initially when he arrived.
Speaker 2: At his golf bar.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I actually watched it. Listen. I always give a player the benefit of the doubt, Like I think that that is what is the beauty of bad game is integrity. You know, you call things on yourself. It's a very honest game. It made me uncomfortable for sure. I think when I first saw him do it, I was like, oh, that is a little bit sketched to me. It didn't seem right to me. When yeah, when he stepped back and kind of trod down the rescue pretty aggressively, and then he did it again, I was well, first of all, I maybe uncomfortable, and second one, I'm like, surely I'm going to give him the birth of the doubt because there are so many cameras on him. But as a player, if I had been in that group, it would have definitely made me uncomfortable. I think that it was unnecessary. I think he knew what he was doing. You know, whether he was trying to go on that line of site, he was basically trying to say that that wasn't going to be in his backswing anyway, It doesn't really matter. It potentially could have been. So I didn't love it, and I think the whole charade that happened afterwards wasn't a great look either. And this is my thing with Bryson, right Like me and Carly went in an in depth conversation about this. Like Bryson makes it quite difficult to like at times. He's a bit of an odd duck at times, which I don't mind. I think he's very unique, and I actually quite like that about him. I think his reputation in the past hasn't been great, but then I feel like he's rebuilt a whole brand around himself. And I've said numerous times on this pod that you know my nephews, who are the next generation? That was for your birthday, that thumbs up the next generation and played off because of Bryson, Like they get very excited because of what Bryson's doing in the social media YouTube space. So I do feel like he has give himself a lot of credibility in that. Like he's fantastic with the crowd. Like I told you, I watched him at the US Open. He signed every single lettograph like twenty minutes of the PJ Champ. Sorry, no other player did that. That impressed me. But then just the theatrical bs that he does is just not necessarily for a professional athlete. I just think that there is a sense of respect that needs that he doesn't quite show for the sport and for other players, and it rubs me up the wrong way at times, and so again I'm just like, is this really Bryson or is he just putting it on? Like I actually don't know who he really is at times, and that's where I struggle with him.
Speaker 5: I don't think anyone knows who he really is. I don't think Bryson really knows who he is is. I think that he at his core wants to be loved and wants to be adored by the fans and drives off of the clicks, the attention, the comments. That's why, that's why he's put himself in the next echelon of attention of being a professional athlete. And you know, if there's nothing wrong with that, I personally am so grateful we have a Bryson Involf, because otherwise golf, you know, we've already lost on the PGA Tour, the weekend week out push and pull tension of a rory going up against a Patrick Reid or Bryson or Scotty.
Speaker 2: You know that that is gone. So when we get it at the major championships, it's like great for us, like we have something to talk about on the podcast, we.
Speaker 5: In the media that you know. It just it brings in fans, it brings in conversations. So like great, Bryson love it. However, as like a human being, I did, come on, what are we doing?
Speaker 2: Like grab just you calling the President of the United States? Rulling, have nothing better to do? And second of all, just deal with it.
Speaker 4: I know, just just just deal with it quietly, like you don't nothing not everything.
Speaker 2: Has to be the drama.
Speaker 4: And like did you see him on Saturday afternoon, like he's walking up eighteen it was this he took his hatf basically have to hit second shot as if he'd win the thing, Like just it's just too much, Like I don't know. I was just never that put. I'm never that person. So I stuggle seeing that At times, I'm like, what are we doing here? Like I struggle with it in any spirit. It's not just like in golf. It's a bit performative for me.
Speaker 7: And so I just.
Speaker 4: I do with everything you're saying. I really do, Like I'm latched onto him, you know, whether I like it or not, I'm latched onto the guy because I know something's going to happen and it's interesting for me, and it's it's somebody to talk about, like what is he going to do this time? He's a little bit unpredictable. He's really fun to watch and all if you take all the bs, he's really is and he's very very good, and he's very different and it's exactly what golf needs. But the theatrical stuff of it is just a little bit for me.
Speaker 9: Sometimes he just pushes it a little too far and you're like, all right now, it's like the illusion is gone, you know, the man behind the curtain or whatever, and you're and then it comes down and you're like, oh, actually you're just trying a little too hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually you just want to be like you want that's a dungeon. But yeah, I mean.
Speaker 4: In his like how energy joining must that be to have that kind of attention all the time, Like I'm.
Speaker 5: Extra, he's like driven by I think that this is his He does not have that we know of, like a serious personal like like he lives for this, this is it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So.
Speaker 4: I don't know, yeah, I don't know. I didn't like it. I thought that the two chop penine was justified in my opinion, I didn't like the theatric theatrics afterwards. So that was just my opinion on it. So but again, next time he plays, I'll be keeping an eye because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're not in his mind.
Speaker 5: We don't know if he consciously went up there and was like, I'm going to stomp around this, I can improve my lie, or you know, he could have been in the heat of the moment and just was walking around and has the adrenaline going and.
Speaker 4: You know happens it was he could have you do have the right, you do have the right to stand behind your ball. But I think the way he trampled it was a bit. It was definitely borderline, and so I feel if there's any question, So that was that was that.
Speaker 10: But hey, well then Rory was asked about it, and you know, I'm always this is another thing where sometimes I'm like, worry mate, as you would say, mate, you know.
Speaker 5: You don't have to give your opinion here, but he always does, which yeah, we love.
Speaker 2: So he didn't hold back.
Speaker 5: He said, I'm not fond of Bryson I think it was wrong, and like, you know, I'm not saying that he did, but whatever. Like, I didn't appreciate how he held the tournament hostage in regard to the tea terms that coming out and everybody having to wait on this one person for all the players.
Speaker 2: What did you make of his his comment?
Speaker 4: Well, I love that. Honestly, We've always talked about we want them to be honest. I can see why he does it. He's not fond of him absolutely. I mean, one, he left a live Two he's a YouTube star, which Rory is just very traditional like three hates all the theatrical bullshit, which Brighton is. He hates all the added attention, you know, where someone like Rory who is who gets it obviously all the attention all the time. He's trying to quiet him down, whereas Bryce's trying to hype it up. He's just they're just very opposite. And so, I you know, you can also just not like people. And yeah, I thought I thought it was an interesting take. It was. It was interesting to hear, and I respect the hell out of in for being honest.
Speaker 2: I just love that he's he's never one to not say something. Yeah, yeah, he was asked about.
Speaker 5: There's this whole thing about you have to play in a certain amount of events to be a member on the PGA Tour, and he, as it stands, will not reach that number based on his current schedule this year. And it is at the commissioner's discretion of the PGA Tour whether or not to issue a special dispensation if this stands, and it can be accepted outside of the rules, you know, they can cite family matter or whatever.
Speaker 2: So he was asked, you know, about his.
Speaker 5: What he cares about when it comes to professional golf and playing in the minimum events on the PGA Tour, and he said that his priorities had shifted and it's not surprising after having won the Career Grand Slam. It's kind of like, why does he have to play, you know, week in week out, And.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and this is my opinion on it, and I actually have spoken. It was funny. I actually chat to Rory after we won the MASTERSLA year at the PG chat. We had a conversation and he basically was like, you know, I now need to shift things. I have dedicated my entire life to at the expense of some very important relationships in my life, and now I've got my goal, I've got my dream that I wanted as a little boy, and my priorities are going to shift and I'm going to be a bit more president at home, you know. I want to be there a lot more for Erica and Poppy. And I totally get that, and I think he has the right obviously to do that. And so I totally understand if you want to play limbs his schedule and just focus around the majors and as he said, as well, as long as you're in the top thirty going into the FedEx Cup.
Speaker 2: Why does he need to show got a chance to win it?
Speaker 4: So? Why I just he need to show up at BMW in whatever it is. So I'm with him. I think that he is a lot more rounded now. I think that he's probably a lot happier at home now. I think that it's probably helped his family life a lot more. I think that he's now enjoying his achievements with his friends and family, and I think he has every single right to do that. And I just completely am.
Speaker 6: On his side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I guess the I'll play Devil's advocate here just for a second.
Speaker 5: I do agree with you the you know, he's still like, how much is his burden to the PGA Tour, you know, how much does he have to continue to participate as a of this tour, as someone who's gotten so much from this tour that's given him such a platform over the years, Like what does he owe if anything? And you know, the way that the rules are set up, it's kind of like they've got no leverage over him, Like what.
Speaker 2: Are they gonna do not let him come blowing an event? Like what sponsor is going to say?
Speaker 5: Hmm, exactly, Rory didn't play his fifteen events, so he can't come and play at the three M Open.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 5: So Yeah, it's kind of an interesting conundrum because on the one side, it's like, you want him to be there for the fans and the product because it drives the game forward, and on the other hand, it's like, Okay, well, maybe it's some time for somebody else to step up.
Speaker 2: And carry that burden because he has carried.
Speaker 5: It for a really long time and went to bat for the PGA Tour when the whole live thing was going on, and then they kind of screwed him over with how that was handled.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a fascinating, fascinating time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I know, but I totally I'm I'm for it. I'm for him and his decision.
Speaker 2: Let's see what else. Cameron Young, he shot sixty four on Sunday at the Open Championship.
Speaker 5: He then waited on the range for two hours to see if he was going to be in a playoff with Ryan Fox.
Speaker 2: And you know, has just had an incredible year.
Speaker 5: So I was wondering if you could say more about cam Young and Sam Burns and their close calls at the Open and then we'll move on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean Camen Young over the last year, because it hasn't it been I mean literally a year. I mean since you gotys first went just not even a year ago, right.
Speaker 2: It was I think it was the Window Championship last year, just.
Speaker 4: Before it was. Yeah, so, I mean incredible won of the players, He's won a couple more.
Speaker 2: So long ago.
Speaker 4: I know, dude, I know, trust me so much.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, he's just an incredible player, and I think that he's finally I finally feel like he knows how good he is now. And we've spoke about this, but yeah, fantastic Sunday. It must be pretty heartbreaking to you know, eighteen is not playing easy. I don't think there's many birdies there on Sunday, and so the fact that Ryan Fox birdied it to obviously take the Open championship must have been, you know, pretty much a dagger in the art, for there.
Speaker 2: Had only been four birdies there that day before Ryan's.
Speaker 4: Stupid yeah and Birdie, I'm a last exactly like exactly so, but look a great week, a fantastic sixty four on Sunday. And then San Burns, I don't know, dude, like I pull for San Burns, like the way I walked with him and the final when he was the final round of the US Open, I was calling his group, My god, he's good and he's ballsy, and he's just had so many close calls, like he just can't quite get it done. Like, but the more and more I'm a big believer, the more more you put yourself in contention, and even if in these, you know, major championships, even if you don't quite cross the line, you will have eventually the odds will be in your favor. So I have no doubt he will win a major championship for the next couple of years. But again another incredible performance. But these guys are at the point now they don't care if they have a top two, top three. They want to they want to win the thing. But but Ryan Fox won it. Ryan Fox won that open.
Speaker 5: Did you see on social media today Karen Young is on the same flight home. Yes, Brian Fox is sitting in the seat in front of him, and Brian Fox is literally bringing on his carry on and the cleric.
Speaker 4: You can barely fit it in the overhead that she was having to push it.
Speaker 2: How tough is that? Hey, cav what's up, dude? How's it going?
Speaker 4: Sorry? Yeah, do you mind just holding this? I'm just gonn.
Speaker 2: Can you move a bag?
Speaker 5: Thanks?
Speaker 4: Yeah, do you mind? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Cheers?
Speaker 4: Bus. I also love that they're getting commercial flights by the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they're in first class.
Speaker 5: But still, I think realistically there's only like four or five players that really have the funds for an international private jet that well, I mean, there's there's several of them that usually pool together and share with another player and their families or something like that. Bus Cam Young is very he's and Ryan Fox doesn't matter. They're really humble guys. They're really you know, they're family oriented. They they're not the type to spring for a private jet just because.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's like like Hideki Wantsiyama. He's like, will sit in the back in the middle seat after winning the Master's tournament, and and Hadeki has probably more money than anybody.
Speaker 2: Because of how famous he is.
Speaker 5: An and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, anyway, it was I'd like seeing things.
Speaker 2: Yeah I did too. Let me just check my notes and make sure I don't have anything else that I missed from the Open Championship. Bryson sand Burns, Oh oh, oh shit, how do I get back to you? I can see, Okay. The last thing I wanted to say.
Speaker 5: In a bunch of interviews, Ryan Fox was asked about, you know, what's it like to be the first New Zealander since blah blah to win a major championship like somebody in the sixties, And he kept on bringing up Lydia cop and that she she just she's been obviously a major champion for years now, and he's just glad to join Lydia's ranks.
Speaker 2: And I thought that was really classic of him to bring up Lydia.
Speaker 4: Very classy. I mean, we are so straight, like it's the same narrative a lot with the media, especially in the men's game, and we're like, wow, you know so and so did it. You know a woman has done it. It's really nice when you have a bit of class like that and you respect the women's game. And actually him and I think Lydia facetimed him after when she was like bawling her eyes out and I was like, I'm just so happy for you. And it's also for New Zealand. And she was talking about the coach that she was I don't know if they have the same coach or whatever, but she was talking about some guy that they both knew. I think it was one of the coaches or trainers or something, and she was just saying, I literally she was in a golf colt, so she was obviously practicing, and she was just like, I was bailing my eyes out, like I was just made up you. So it's that kind of interaction is really important and I think that it's really cool as well. I think it just makes everything better, especially when the men talk. We've spoke about it, but when the men talk about us, the women's game and the respectful manner that it should be spoken into. And I think Ryan Fox did that, so it was it was really refreshing to it.
Speaker 2: So just another reason to be a Ryan Fox fan if you weren't already.
Speaker 5: But congratulations Ryan Fox. Uh, what a what a fun open championship it was. And I cannot believe that the men's majors are over. We've got one more women's major coming up and then that's it for major season.
Speaker 4: Crazy guys, quick, doesn't it?
Speaker 2: Did you?
Speaker 5: So if somebody in the beginning of the year told you that the men's major champions would be Rory McElroy, Aaron Raye, Wyndham Clark, and Ryan Fox, what would you say?
Speaker 4: Well, obviously I like it, because anyone American majors, Okay, But yeah, I just think it was It was a bit of a weird major season, to be honest with you. I think, you know, Scottishcheffer not getting anything. Justin Thomasin particularly played great part from the PJ Champ. Xander Chople who's like a major machine like usually plays great and majors, hasn't you know, played as well as he normally has. Obviously, Bryson's missed three out of four. Kurtsy obviously played well.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, one thing he made the guy. I'm just going to say that, can you imagine?
Speaker 4: Can you imagine? Imagine? So yeah, it's yeah, I mean it just goes to show, I mean the depth and you know, it's just it's just mad it was. But I feel like it was a really fun major season though, Like seeing Roy get the Master's done again was pretty special. Aaron Raye. I mean, who wasn't happy for that guy when he the wind Clark with the bulls story, yes, yes, yes, like just unconventioned, like where's two glass muses Castle tea, like so against what you know, the new generation kind of see nowadays. Not flashy, just a good guy, great player. Then you've got winning Clark, who had so much bullshit to deal with the US Open where his own fancy wanted to win and got it done. And then you obviously had Ryan Fox who nobody, with all due respect, nobody would have picked him and he just came out and had the weekend of his life. And though off some of you know, the most informed players that we're seeing right now this season in Sanburns and Camen Young. So it's just yeah, it was actually a really fair major season. I think that I almost think that that's actually more encapulating that no capturing when it gets your attention.
Speaker 5: Engaging in again, that encapsulating is the worst I think that you're trying to say and encapsulates.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it was. It was just yeah, thank you, it was. I thought it was. It was. I don't know. It just felt like every single one had a bit of drama and it was it was cool to see, like obviously the Masters and yeah, and Ry hold that put seventeen right Fox on the p eighteen, We hold that plan sixteen like it was exactly what you want. They all want it, if that makes sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we did not mention Scotty in our conversation of the Open Championship. He was certainly in contention. He had like a weird thing on was it seventeen when he hit it way off and that whole thing. And we don't need to get into TiO debates here because that's not this show. There's other podcasts, sure, temporary movable obstacle discussions. Yeah, but it's kind of a it was just like a weird rules week when you think about what happened with Bryson and what happened with Scotti that he was able to. I think he got relief from this t shot and yeah, yeah, then Bryson Henders two shot penalties. So it's kind of a That's kind of the weird part about golf is that the rules are.
Speaker 4: So rules may rules. I know, there's so many rules, but yeah, not this. I mean, Scott is still playing great. I mean, let's be honest, but we're just so used to seeing him pick up one major year at least in like, you know, three or four events, and he might still do that, absolutely might still not majors, but obviously pick up a couple more events, but he's just yeah, he just seems a little bit off from what we're used to seeing from Scotti Scheffler. So, which is golf. It goes up and down, up and down, and we have such high expectations of him.
Speaker 2: He had some frustrating putting interesting tournament as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which was a bit. Yeah, he actually played al right, he could if he put it well, he definitely could have had.
Speaker 2: A shot for sure. Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 4: Do you want to talk about the heartbreak of the World.
Speaker 5: Cut, Well, I'm just happy for you that Argentina lost, although like the one person on the team that I was sad for was Lionel Messy, but I was quite pleased that Spain won and then that you're.
Speaker 2: Henry Kane won the third place medal.
Speaker 4: Henry Kane, Yes, thank you. And what match that was against France? By the way, I didn't really wasn't that invested, but then it was. It was a three match. Listen, we love beating the French, and offense is French. But it was a fun match offense. But yeah, I mean Argentina, man, I mean, I'm sorry people are Argentina out there. I mean because I'm a big Messy fan and I kind of wanted them to win it for that, but the team is a bit dirty. Cara, and I don't yet.
Speaker 2: After why are you five being after it's studied? What are you doing? There's nothing you can do, it's it's it's conduct unbecoming.
Speaker 4: Like it's so I was watching Sweetheart, go and have a beer, Go and go and have a beersh it's right under you, like like yeah, literally just anything apart from trying to stop to change anything.
Speaker 5: There was I don't know if you were watching, It's like what you were watching was the same the same feed that I was watching. But the when they cut to the celebrations, they're showing the Spanish coaches all embracing and hugging and blah blah, and then they cut to the Argentinian coach and it looks like the Argentinian coach is like doing mann Man coverage, trying to to to stop everybody from from fighting or whatever. And in that moment on the broadcast, they weren't showing the the punching in the fighting.
Speaker 2: That later than they showed up a verbal altercation.
Speaker 5: But then on social media you saw the videos of the punch in the throat and the hand and the face and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: So it seemed like the Argentinians insided a brawl and then the Spanish all freak. I mean, like, what are we doing?
Speaker 11: Listen, Kira, listen. Mental has been emotional, like like come on, queens, get your ship together, get your ship together, have some emotional regulation like we do it. Imagine if they won their period, imagine what that would have ended up.
Speaker 4: Like if they were on their pitch on the period.
Speaker 2: They would still there. Can you imagine they'd still be there?
Speaker 4: What are you doing? Your men? Grown men?
Speaker 2: It's amazing.
Speaker 4: Stop. Oh honestly they don't help themselves. No, no, they don't.
Speaker 2: So it was I was thrilled for Spain. Love Spain, yes, oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: Text Chiggy. Chiggy was in a in a she had obviously a Spanish She was buzzing for it, so she was very happy. So I was very I did say to her, best of today, mate, I'd be punning for Spain. So yeah, it was. It was a good day. It was good work. I find it. Well, it was a bit ship actually it was a bit boring. But the fighting was just which is just.
Speaker 2: Do you just anything less? If there wasn't a violence at.
Speaker 6: The end, Come on, I mean, I imagine if women did that, my god, people would we just wouldn't know because they would be like, okay, we lost, and then if they did, then.
Speaker 5: Then then would be like these women are classless and got no no no, and talking so much craft control emotions.
Speaker 2: And for them go away.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh, so I have some a couple bits of exciting news. Actually not that exciting.
Speaker 5: But so.
Speaker 4: I bought a road bike, well, actually bought grab a bike. So I'm in my bike era, I've got a cake. I was, no, it's a real bike. It was very expensive I got. Yeah, I thought about it for a couple of weeks and I thought I'll just buy it, not on the joining count. And when I was in there, and obviously it has to get shipped, so he's like, well, do you need a helmet? And I was like, oh, god man, it's such a twad here. Well, first of all, actually, before before I get into this, I don't know if you're like this, but so basically, do you want to test you know, just test ride it, see if it feels good. I was like sure. Carly actually took a video because she was in the car because she didn't want to come in the store because she was just hot and bothered. She's thirty nine weeks pregnant, so she was inside and she was like, just just think about buying it, don't buy it. Then she sees me come out in this bike with this helmet on, and I'm like riding it around. But when I just got on the bike and obviously I can ride a bike because the staff are there looking at me, I basically was lucky, like I can't ride a bike in my own heads. I was like, I need to stay. I even made a joke. I was like Germany stabilizers because clearly, and she was like, she's like, no, you find everyone does the same thing, like we're making people nervous. I'm like, can you just like, can you just aund yeah?
Speaker 12: Yeah, absolutely, yeah, helmet, yeah exactly, my green, bright green helmet and I my who's not done?
Speaker 2: So I just.
Speaker 4: So then I get in. I was like, yeah, yeah, I'll buy. I literally want to lap and I was like that's enough for me. So I took my helmet off and he's like, right, do you need a helmet and I was like, ah, ship yeah. And he's like, right, you need pedals. I was like, is I doing a three gage or whatever? And I'm like he's talking all this bike stuff and I just said, listen, I have had a rode bike in the past, but it was years ago. I'm not a bike. Just give me the pedals I need. And he's like, right, get these ones. And he's like, you need a computer, don't you like a little to gauge where you go?
Speaker 2: I'm like absolutely.
Speaker 4: So that was a ship tonematic. That was a lott. So basically I walked out there and just casually dropped a lot of money. But I'm very excited about it. Here, I've bought bibs. I bought a bib already bib.
Speaker 2: You were so like the one that goes yes you are Yeah, is this going to be your.
Speaker 4: I'll send you a picture. I'm going to you after this saying happy birthday with the bi.
Speaker 2: This is going to be your number two escape when you need a second.
Speaker 4: It's coming in like a week. Yeah, and number two exciting news. We took her to the park because it's balls hot here and bless him. Yeah, he was too hot, so we had to love to like thirty minutes. But I know it's a bunch of like older people my age, middle aged and some young people playing football. And I was like looking and I was like that looks like pick up football to me. So I just went over. I was very proud of myself. I went straight over to someone. So here's this pick up football and he says yeah, he says, I run it. He says to give me an email. Just come on a Sunday morning at eight thirty, just come and play. I was like, perfect, So I bought football boots. Yes, I'm being proper, like I'm in my male era right now. I'm making Yeah, and I'm making Carly come to the part with me on Thursday to kick. Well, she won't kick a ball with me, but she can pass me the ball. And I'm going to do some drills. So I'm going to look a right blanker. But it's going to be great. What if she's giving birth, I'm quite proud of myself. Oh she won't be. That thing is. He's very comfy in there.
Speaker 2: It was like a Sunday, like today was going to be the day or tomorrow is going to be the day or something.
Speaker 4: You don't think so yeah, no, no, So she's actually due on Saturday and we will get induced on Wednesday if he's still here. But she had accupunturees today to try and get things moving.
Speaker 2: But it's interesting.
Speaker 4: He's comfy in there, and he's still in the right position.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, okay, my baby is uh transverse or whatever.
Speaker 2: He's like straight across my stomach.
Speaker 4: Oh perfect, Well is it I don't know. Uh, well, he'll move. That's better than his.
Speaker 2: Head, Yeah yeah, I hope.
Speaker 12: So.
Speaker 2: So it's kind of it's so funny because it's but it's like so weird.
Speaker 5: You can feel his head on the one so much Andrew and I took a yoga class this morning. There's this it's called Black Coral Yoga and Hanola. It's my favorite yoga studio in the world. It's just every it's perfect. But as we're doing yoga, he's just squirreling around and there also doing yoga.
Speaker 2: That's so weird.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh that's so nice. WI Well, not that I would know, but I feel it. She says. It's so like when they get hiccups and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if I can really tell if it's hiccups versus kicking. I need to really pay attention.
Speaker 5: He seems to be doing a lot of big stretching and then just kicking the ship out of me.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, it's cute, amazing. It's going to come on quick. The last three weeks of a torture though, because you're just waiting for it.
Speaker 5: And so somebody the other day was like, so, what's your birth plan? And I was like, Uh, my birth plan is, don't think about birth, show up to hospital, give birth, leave.
Speaker 4: Perfect perfect.
Speaker 5: I can't be I can't be doing that. I'm going to break myself out. I'm so yeah, I'm just my avoidance. I tend to be an avoidance person.
Speaker 4: I think, yeah, I'm just just like go just think about it, just like ry Fox. Just don't think about it, to get it done.
Speaker 2: Get in there. We're done.
Speaker 4: We COUPLEEDU pushes.
Speaker 5: We can't be we can't be doing this whole like thinking about this for a month's thing. It's just not I don't I'm.
Speaker 4: Plus, you never an idea like it. Change, you might go into labor whatever, you might push one a.
Speaker 2: Time yea, or or it could be there forever. And I'm not a little We're not think about it anyway. Big news and big news in my world. Change the subjects.
Speaker 5: Love Island USA is finally over and I have been released from the clutches of the torture of that stupid show. But it was like I could not finish it, but it was so bad. Andrew and I are watching Love Island UK. He refuses to watch the USA, he'll only watch UK. And we're we're several episodes behind, so that's that's still fun.
Speaker 2: Oh no, okay, okay, h you want to talk about Love Islands with Anti Kira.
Speaker 4: He's gone, He's gone. He was asking about she read. I don't know if she's probably someone.
Speaker 2: She was somewhere, but anyway, it's just it's such it was such a bad season.
Speaker 4: I'm sad for you that it was ship because I know how much you are committed to it. You've putten a lot of dedication into it, a lot of time.
Speaker 2: Thought scrolling, listening to people's summarizing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot of hours of your life has gone into that commitment. So I'm sad for you.
Speaker 5: I know it's okay, but but Trinity and Bryce is a spoiler alert for those that you haven't. It's already been two weeks. They won, and it's whatever, Like nobody else could have one. It's stupid.
Speaker 2: It's so interesting watching them come out and like reassimilating into normal life and how they in the world.
Speaker 4: It would be weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, to go from.
Speaker 4: Being a virtual it's like a lesbian version of it.
Speaker 2: Really, it's called I kissed a.
Speaker 4: It's mad. It's sure because imagine lesbians. I mean, we've fallen in my first five minutes. So it's carnage. Now that's acting.
Speaker 2: I'm sure, that's fantastic. Oh god, you get somebody else because men gay MESSI are very okay.
Speaker 4: It was a gay mane as well, I kissed a boy, which is even more carnage.
Speaker 2: Well, because I think they even more cornage.
Speaker 5: But they're more open to having multiple partners at the same time, even in a committed relationship, whereas lesbians are more committed to monogamy.
Speaker 4: Oh no, absolutely, no, oh gosh yeah. Within yes, within the first thirty minutes. You have a girl friend within thirty minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: But like I have several like gay best friends that are men and they are in committed, long term relationships with their partners, but then they just do their thing on the side and it's just the thing, whereas I don't think the women do that as much because you know, there's a.
Speaker 2: Lot more yeah, feeling whatever.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so sorry, Speaking of feelings, I was in line today at the bakery and in hanolay and the fan there's one cinnamon roll left in this case, and I was I'm dying for the cinnamon role, and the family in front of me ordered it and then we're out.
Speaker 2: I started crying, and.
Speaker 5: They had like if it was just like a husband and wife or something, I would have gone up to them and been like, sorry, guys, I'm pregnant. I need.
Speaker 2: And they have three small children, and I was like, okay, well I can't take the cinnamoneral from so.
Speaker 4: I'm just gonna cry and Andrew's gonna have to deal with and just got to pick.
Speaker 2: He was like, what's wrong with you?
Speaker 4: This six year old took my cinnamon role. Is that gonna be your shush of the week.
Speaker 2: No, this is my shush of the week.
Speaker 5: When there's a long line to order coffee or Simon roll and people get into random, frivolous conversations with the person taking orders or the barista or whatever, and the whole line is waiting while you guys chat about.
Speaker 2: Some bullshit and I'm standing there and I'm like, can we not?
Speaker 5: Like, just can I order while you guys chat, Like you can keep chatting, but just take my order. So my shush is to people that hold up the entire line, have no spatial awareness, no consideration for others, because they want to have a meaningless chat with the person that's putting in orders.
Speaker 4: I'm very much with you, and we had a very similar experience in Saturday. We bite into a town of Windsow, which is about eight miles away. We're biked in there, back bite there had in a cafe, really cute little cafe, and the people in front of us would have stood there and I was like, are you in line? She went yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm in line. But then we're constantly looking at the menu and there's people behind us, and obviously we've got Kai who's starving, and I'm like, bitch, order. So then when she finally decides she was going to order, she went on about, well does the brie and cranberry does it? What kind of bread is it? And I'm like it said sourdough, right, So they were therefore, like I'm not joking five minutes and I was losing my mind. Kai is like starting to have no patience and I'm like, just order your latte, your oat milk sucking larte and you you tune the milk, like just get through it, like, and the family is behind us were like is going on? Like I know, dude, I know. So yeah, I'm with you on that. My shes of the week is me because I should have text you this morning and so I'm going to send you about eighty now.
Speaker 2: But now I get more texts.
Speaker 4: Plus, it was a good one.
Speaker 2: It was perfect. It all worked out really I would have done it. I was going to do it.
Speaker 5: I'm giving, just giving you. You should don't have it in my diet. That actually it is pretty good. I'll take it.
Speaker 4: All right. Well, listen, enjoy your baby moon and ship's about again before you know it.
Speaker 5: This is our last big trip together before before and get to the bakery s Mason. They open at seven am tomorrow. I will be there at seven oh one ordering my set seven.
Speaker 4: Good, perfect, all right, bye, all right, bye, Happy birthdays.
Speaker 1: Bye, Thanks for listening to Quiet Please. We'll be back next week with more golf HAPs and we want to hear from you. Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts and tell us what you want to talk about.
Speaker 2: It just might be the topic of our next show.
Speaker 1: Quiet Please is hosted by Mel Reed and Kira Dixon. Our executive producer is Jesse Kasts. Our supervising producer is Grace Hughes. Our producer is Jonathan Kerman.
Speaker 4: Listen to Quiet Please on America's number one podcast network, iHeart. Open your free iHeart app and search Quiet Please with Mel Reed and Kira Dixon and start listening.